Speaker 1: How tired are you right now, Sarena.
Speaker 2: I am so tired.
Speaker 1: I'm so tired. I'm so tired.
Speaker 3: I mean, geez, I am just living off the Starbucks at this point, trying to just keep my head above water.
Speaker 1: Man, at least you're lucky that you do caffeine. I haven't had caffeine in like twenty Caffeine makes it instantly gives me panic attacks. So I do all this without caffeine. Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah, it's I've also come to realize though, as I'm talking to more adults, which I'm sadly starting to realize I'm becoming. Not there yet, but on the way. At forty eight, almost forty nine years old, everybody's tired all the time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Like just every day you're going, okay, if I just get through today, tomorrow's going to be great.
Speaker 2: And then tomorrow comes and you're like.
Speaker 1: Damn, yeah, justice, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where you finish one project or one thing that you know is what's kind of the height of your anxiety, the height of like everything, and then the next thing comes in, which is great.
Speaker 2: I love being busy, but it's just me too.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: This time of the year for me is like there's just so much going on.
Speaker 3: But then I think, yeah, but in September I start choreographing and I start doing like that's a crazy time. I'm just like, then it's the holidays, and then bam, we're in the next year.
Speaker 1: Nop happens all I asked. I've been starting to ask my friends, like, when's the last time you woke up in the morning. We went like, oh, I what a great night's sleep. I feel great, and they're like, I haven't done that since I was fourteen, And it's true. It just that doesn't happen where you wake up like, oh my man, what a damn ready to tackle the day. Like no, it's just I'm constantly rolling out of bed and just tired all the time. And oh my god, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's one of the things I love doing with rewatching these movies.
Speaker 3: The one time I forced myself to sit on the couch and.
Speaker 2: Just watch a movie, right.
Speaker 3: It's so nice because even when I'm watching TV, I'm usually doing laundry or getting food ready for the kids, or you know, just cleaning the house. I'm still doing that. I never really like enjoy watching like TV anymore. I just don't get a chance to.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I think it's not just that we don't get a chance to. I think also with social media and the fact that we're on our phones all the time, our attention spans have become so small that sitting down and watching a ninety minute movie, it's like I have to do nine other things. I can't just sit here and watch a movie. Yeah, but that's a wonderful segue back to where we are. So welcome back to Magical Rewind everyone, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pgs and your popcorn and go back to your time. And all the houses were smart, the wave tsunamis and you slept the entire night through.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Suprina Brian.
Speaker 1: Break out those baseballs and meatballs. Yes, we are finally tackling a movie who's jarring title has haunted us for over a year. It's two thousand and threes comedic study of gender Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff. And if you think the title is shocking, wait till you see the movie poster itself. The image is by far the most unhinged we've encountered. Yet it depicts a young baseball player at bat. This is Eddie of course, and his father Coach standing behind him rooting him on, but instead of a baseball bat, Eddie is holding a spatula. If this was made in twenty twenty five, you would swear it was Ai, but it wasn't. It was made in two thousand and three. Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff debuted on July eighteenth, two thousand and three, a little late in the barbecue season, missing July fourth by just two weeks, but it still made the summer. And for filming location, we've somehow found ourselves right back in New Zealand. Wow again with New Zealand, we're gonna need a new coin that has three sides, because now it seems it's Canada's Hattah or it's New Zealand. That's right. They filmed this one is this is New Zealand still down Under. I guess it's considered down under, but Australia is down under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always thought it was. I mean, I just thought as well, it's.
Speaker 1: Down there, but I don't know if they consider that. I don't know if Australia has the tm on uh yeahwn under, But who knows either way? We've run into this recently several times now with rip Girls or Janie Ssnami as I think we're calling it, and the most recent Disney Channel release Zombies four. Uh Sabrina, what did you think about New Zealand and this one? Did it work as fictional Cedar Valley in Chicago or did you know we were in a different country?
Speaker 3: I thought, honestly, until I did, like my homework, which I always do, after watching the movie, I thought we were in Toronto.
Speaker 2: I was convinced this was in Toronto.
Speaker 1: I thought it was somewhere in California. To be totally jerior, I did it. I was like, I think they filmed one in California. Nope, just anywhere but Chicago's yeah, right, exactly. Well, when it can be Cedar Valley in Chicago or Mordor and Middle Earth, you know, it's a pretty awesome country. I've got to get to New Zealand. I know, me too, I know. And although it's uncommon title stands out, this movie's legacy really only came together as the years have gone by. Though not a huge hit at the time of its release, it has since become a staple on all the modern day lists we love to cite. It came in at number sixteen on a Ringer's list of Top forty d coms, at number thirty two on Vultures All Time List. Pretty good showing there, and to be honest, I don't entirely understand why, but that doesn't explain it's sub fifty percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, which will be or I Am? It's five point nine out of ten on IMDb again right where I Am? Or Lynn Hefley of The La Times writing Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff is missing two key ingredients, wit and a light touch. Yes, so not unlike a lot of the food in this movie. The reaction was also mixed, thank you very much? Are you a chef? Are you proficient and cooking? Are you good at cooking? How? How are you?
Speaker 3: I love to cook, and I actually get into I get in and out of it when I can. I mean, for me, I really try to at least make two really good home cook meals you know a week, meaning like actual meals. I cook a lot, but and I also uber eats, our door dash or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, you have to call surh and move money around. It's so expensive. It's like I'm gonna DoorDash, but.
Speaker 3: It's so hard with my schedule to like, you know, be able to prep because that's the thing. When I make these big, these big meals, I prep before I go to work or do whatever I've got to do.
Speaker 2: And then I come home and finish it. And I don't always have time to do that.
Speaker 3: So when I do, I have some pretty good recipes that I love, I really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well share them with me because I love to cook too. As a matter of fact, when Boy Metrobe was done and I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, and I was like, my anxiety was kicking in. I was like, I don't want to act anymore. I was looking at culinary school. It's what I really wanted to do. So uh, I went on Blue Yeah, something like that. And then you know, Susan is a phenomenal cook. So she she and her mom were both just like wizards in the kitchen. So she cooked, she bakes, she does everything.
Speaker 3: So it's that was one of the things Jordan did to get me like he was such a good cook. I'd never dated anyone that was such a great cook like that. And then I started cooking and he barely grills.
Speaker 1: He's got you. Now you're in, you said, I do. I believe that was where it is. And fyi, Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff is currently available to stream on Disney Plus. So once again, the fate of the Empire is in your hands. Watch it now and listen to our recap later, or here are thoughts before you take it all in the future of our species depends on your decision. Handle it with care and decision. Oh I made that rhyme, so Serena. I think anyone who's listened to our podcast on a regular basis knows we are clueless to the ways of Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoffs. Since any time it's been mentioned, we have gafaud and assumed it was just a name that Jensen made up, so we all sounded stupid. But to make it official, what did you know about Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff before it was assigned to us?
Speaker 2: One thing, and one thing only.
Speaker 3: Paul Hoan was the director of it, and so that's all I went in, going, this is going to be a great movie.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to go. I knew everything about this movie.
Speaker 2: No you did it, swear to God, how did you?
Speaker 1: Because I knew I knew Paul how and because a producer friend and I, I came up with an idea. My nephew was a baseball player and also a baker, and so I literally pitched Disney a movie called batter Up where I was a kid. And she listened to very politely, listened to it. And when we've done it, it's called Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff. I was like, oh man. And then I went and watched this and I was like, this was my movie, Like I literally this sad film ten years ago. I was like, oh, they've done it.
Speaker 2: It's yes, it's a great idea.
Speaker 3: It's a great idea, great idea, a great idea.
Speaker 1: So she was very polite and then went, no, we've already done it. Uh and wow, everybody's already agreeing that batter Up is a better title. Thank you, very agreed.
Speaker 3: I was just going to come right out of my mouth like I actually like batter much better.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So we're going to rename it is now officially batter Up. And this was my movie. I'm making up my movie. So before you all go and enroll in homech and slather your hotdog in Purple Slime. Let's hear the synopsis. A baseball obsessed teen surprises everyone when he trades his glove in for a spatula great word and secretly enters a high stakes cooking competition that clashes with the championship game. It's a very common decom theme here, the star athlete or stuffy figure skater is switching interest to compete on the other side of the tracks. Off the top of my head, we've done go figure jump in and even motocross, so we are well aware of.
Speaker 2: This trope or high school musical.
Speaker 1: High school musica. It's all yeah, it's everywhere. It's everywhere. Another thing we're well aware of. Yes, he's back. We like to call him our daddy, the dcom daddy himself. That's right, the most common name uttered on Magical rewind has returned. Paul Howell Oan the director of not only this movie, but of every movie ever made in the history of the world. No, but basically all the d coms in the history of the art form. But no one here needs a refresher with Paul Hohan. But we're gonna do it anyway. Uh. Luck of the Irish reading and Cheating Girls two one, World Camp Rock two All for the Zombies movies. That's just to name a few. He is not only a legend of the form, he's a powerhouse, still keeping the DCM alive. E t phone Hoen. So let's get into the cast. The movie stars Taylor Ball as the titular Eddie Ogden. Taylor is best known as Brian Miller on four years of the CBS sitcom Still Standing, alongside Mark Addie and Jamie Gertz. I imagine it's not still standing, but that's how I'm gonna say it every time. But once that show went off the air, he walked away from acting to focus on music. He is now a drummer in the progressive electronica Experience Medieval, inspired by his love of drumming, metal music and sci fi novels, and is also in tragic forms a metal band. And he's a damn good drummer. Here is just a small snippet of tragic forms. Why yes, thick sick.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that is nothing better than Disney Channel Star going in like going to the deep end of the dark hole.
Speaker 2: Like this is nothing better. It's just so good.
Speaker 1: I love that he sounds like he can drum too.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Uh, then we have a Channel regular at the time, Orlando Brown, who plays Francisco. He was seeing movies like Major Paine, Max Keeble's Big Move, and Thirteen, while also showing up on TV shows like Family Matters, Moesha, The Proud Family, and most memorably, That's So Raven, where he played Eddie Thomas. Brown continues to act, but is mostly known as an erratic and controversial figure online, commonly rattling off things that would make his former Disney Channel fans feel a little bit dirty. Another familiar face to Magical Rewinders is that of Riley McClendon, who plays dB in this movie. You might remember him as the main character of Buffalo Dreams.
Speaker 2: Remember him, Beautie Pie, It's so good to see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He can also be seen in the movies Pearl Harbor, Disney's The Kid, and sky Kids not Spy Kids sky Kids. Apparently it is a different movie, so you remembered him from Buffalo Jreams. He's also I mentioned it last time in that one famous SVU episode where he plays Twins. Yes, yeah, so that's a great one. Actor Mark L. Taylor plays Coach Hank Ogden Eddie's dad, Taylor, is a prolific character actor who's been working since the nineteen seventies. Some of his highlights include movies like Innerspace, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rachnophobia, and DCOM classics like the High School musical Two That's the God every Time. Now I got the whole golf course scene he instantly pops in your head as he's just singing to his reflection. God, I love it. TV wise, the guy dominated the eighties and nineties on shows like Melrose Plays, Home Improvement, Seinfeld, Family Times, and Mister Belvedere. Pretty awesome list and very early in her career, we have actress Rose McIver. The New Zealander was a local higher the time, but has since gone on to become a constantly working actress in Hollywood, currently starring on the hit CBS show Ghosts, but also started the movie Lovely Bones. And she was one of the stars of the TV show I Zombie, which I think is different than I Carly and we haven't gotten to it yet, so we will see her again though in another New Zealand film, d com Johnny Kappahala back on the board. Can't do that fun. Quick story. Rose and I sat next to each other at the Honolulu Comic Con and there were very few people showed up, and so we were just messing with each other's tables the whole time. So when I left, at one point she I had cut out pictures of my face and put it on her body, on her head shot. And so when I came back, she had replaced me in the cast of Boy Meets World, and she had just like pasted her head onto the picture of the rest of the cast, so she was officially in Boy Mets World. We had a lot of fun. She's very very sweet and playing himself in the style of Christi Yamaguchi. We have Bobby Flay as well. Bobby Flay. Flay is a premier celebrity chef, restaurant tour and TV personality who rose to fame through Food Network shows like Iron Chef America, Beat Bobby Flay, which is one of the meanest shows in the history of the world, and Throw Down. He's built a culinary umpire that includes fancy steakhouses, fast food chains, and best selling cookbooks. He was and is still one of the most recognizable chefs in the food space. Are you a Bobby Flay fan.
Speaker 2: I had no idea who he was.
Speaker 1: Oh really okay? Also talking back to SVU, he used to be married to the blonde lawyer from SVU.
Speaker 2: I feel like it always goes back to Svu.
Speaker 1: Or Seinfeld everything. It's like the six degrees of Svu or Seinfeld. Everybody knows that, oh wow, and it's time to talk time. This movie runs eighty five minutes. That it's five below the target, but below is what we know. Baby, you'd love to see it under ninety minutes. Congrats everybody. There really is no place like Hohen.
Speaker 2: I know he.
Speaker 3: I feel like if all out of all of the directors really gets the closest to that.
Speaker 2: Ninety minute mark, wouldn't. She's saying he's.
Speaker 3: Really good at getting right by there, and more often it's less than it ever is above.
Speaker 1: It's because he knows. He's like, I've got my audience, I'm gonna make the tightest film that I possibly can, and I'm gonna go from there. I don't need two hours of a d com to teach you that Eddie likes to cook and make hop tons. We don't need that. And it is written by another dcom name that is very common to our podcast here, Dan Berenson. He was a Sabrina the Teenage Witch writer and producer who often collaborated with Paul Hohan. He not only wrote the spinoffs for films like Sabrina, but he also penned a ton of d coms. His list is arguably getting as impressive as Daddy Owens, which is Hannahmontana the movie, The Wizards of Wavely Place movie Camp Rock, two, The Cheetah Girls, One World, Stuck in the Suburbs, Twitches to Up, Up and Away, Halloween Town High and Scream teen and now I can take a breath. Someone get Dan on the phone, please, because we've got an interview to do. Do you remember him from Cheetah Girls? Did you get to meet him? I?
Speaker 2: I don't remember meeting an extra? No, I don't don't remember.
Speaker 1: Or we got to get him on because he's he's written basically everything everybody on the channel has ever said. Yeah, okay, it is time to add a holapaanya to this episode and call it cuisine. Let's get into Eddie's million Dollar Cookoff or batter up. We start on a baseball field. Little leaguers are warming up for a day of games, the snack shack is opening fresh, new foul lines are being applied, and bases are being set around the diamond. Coach Hank odd In hits flyballs to his team, the Groundhogs, as squad we quickly realize is filled with athletic underachievers. They're basically the bad News Bears, but without the hilarious rapport. Coach Hank's son and the movie's main character, Eddie, comes to the plate for a little batting practice and pegs a foul ball right into the concession stand, creating a pinball path of destruction, flying from wall to wall, smashing pickle jars and destroying soda cans until it finally lands right in the deep frier and so right off the bat. Eddie is an enemy of small business. Worth noting, Eddie's proclivity to hit dangerous foul balls is never mentioned again in the entire movie, So I don't know why they decided to do this at the beginning. I guess to kind of marry food and baseball. But he destroys the thing. And that's why one of the other players didn't do it. Why it had to be Eddie, because he's the good player. I didn't understand, but I'm it's only me for a seconds. It's in the movie, so I'm still in it.
Speaker 3: Just that he's got an arm or something. Yeah, I kind of was like, oh, okay, but.
Speaker 1: He hit the ball. It wasn't even a throw like anyway. Yeah, the Groundhogs are so bad that the coaches are even bummed that all the players have returned for the new season, except, of course, for Eddie, who is universally known to be the MVP, carrying the entire team on his back. They also kind of allude to the fact that he's like the best one in the league. Now, the opening day game is about to start, Coach Hank gives his team a pep talk, admitting their chances of winning are slim to none, and just in the nick of time, Hannah, a girl removing a pink cheerleading uniform to reveal her Groundhog's jersey underneath, shows up. Her mom thinks she's trying out for cheerleading, hence the outer where Hannah is a take note kind of tom Boy, but her mom, a champion cheerleader herself, thinks her daughter should follow in her footsteps, and we see this kind of gender thing starting right away, right, and now the game has begun. Eddie, who talks to himself during the game as if he was a television commentator, gets a ground ball and turns a double play. And that's a trope we're gonna see over and over again. For some reason, they cut to nine different double plays in this movie. It just double play after double play after double play, And just like that, the Groundhogs look like a major league baseball team. So what's the problem here? Coach Hank and his assistant coach think they could even win a few games this year. Then we get our favorite thing and optical flip, and the Groundhogs have lost ten to three. Also, did you notice on the scoreboard the other team was named the Players.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was one of my first ones, going the Players, What what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: The Groundhog?
Speaker 1: Not that I mean?
Speaker 2: I also said, like what we got to talk.
Speaker 3: Next time we talked to Paul, I'm gonna ask him, why are all of your guys's every time you have a mascot?
Speaker 2: Why is it always so weird? Why can't it be like the Eagles?
Speaker 1: No? Well, yeah, why wasn't Shrimpy there? For Eddie's million dollar Cookoff. I mean, come on, it.
Speaker 2: Always such a weird, like weird mascot it is.
Speaker 1: We've got the groundhogs against the players. I just wanted them to walk in like hitting on all the girls in the stadium, Like is that what they mean by the players, Like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: No, it's like it might as well be the other.
Speaker 1: Team, yeah, right, baseball Baseball opponents the opponents the opponents. The Groundhogs leave the dugout heads hung low, and it appears they have a game tomorrow. So what kind of little league schedule is this? Maybe they're overworking them? Is this a one hundred and sixty two game season for a little league? That might be a problem. Eddie and has two best pals in the team, Catcher Francisco and first baseman dB, decide to drown their sorrows in some snack shot hot dogs or snackage so I like to call it. We get a cool camera trick here where Eddie throws a ball in the air and it turns into a ketchup bottle. With his excited teammates watching on, he drowns three hot dogs and ketchup mustard, sauer Kraut, onions, peppers, cornish on cherry tomatoes and horse radish and then declares them to be eddie dogs. Did these look good to you, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I mean I love like.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite thing to do when I go to a baseball game is I'm thinking about what hot dog I'm gonna get.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let me ask you a question, because we know each other very well, walk me through your hot dog. What's your ideal hot dog? What's on it? What's your ideal dog?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you know I normally get like a bra, but I won at the last baseball game I got went to and it was not good.
Speaker 2: I wish I'd gone.
Speaker 1: Just the regular hot dog, which is okay.
Speaker 3: Normally not my thing, but a bra bell peppers and onions like nice grilled, and then I do mustard and a tiny bit of sour kraw and then I even do some fresh.
Speaker 2: Onions on it too.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I don't like ketchup on him at all.
Speaker 1: No, some people are not ketchup people. I am, I'm at and.
Speaker 3: I just don't. I just don't like it on my dog. Like I'm a ketchup person. I just don't like them for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ketchup mustard, onions and cheese.
Speaker 2: That's my hot ketchup mustard, onions and cheese. So you put cheese on it?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I put you on everything. I put cheese on my cereal if people didn't look at me funny. Cheese is amazing, just as my heart.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I'm got a kid's cheese. I'm just like one of those people. It's like I can. I like most ingredients. It's just whether or not I'm going to put it on that specific yea.
Speaker 1: No, cheese is magical and it makes everything better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, the boys love them, but while they're eating, they're bullied by players from the league's best team. Like you said, the Eagles, So there isn't Eagles, and it's a better name than the players if you ask me. They even have college scouts coming to their middle school games. Wow. Now, Eddie knows the best way to stick it to the Eagles is to beat them, so he declares this is the season's big goal. Also, Hank's assistant coach, for some reason, sits on a bottle of ketchup that squirts out behind him. It doesn't hit anybody, it doesn't make like it just it was pointless, absolutely pointless, completely pointless. We are now back at Eddy house. His mom Sarah's in the kitchen and feels what seems like an earthquake, but it's just some postgame groundhogs coming over for snacks or snackage. I'm gonna keep saying and TV. While Eddie's teammates Roughhouse with his older brothers Alex Andy, Eddie is pulled aside by his dad. He explains, if you ever want to leave the groundhogs, you know, to win some games and think about his future, just say the word. But Eddie is content with his loser friends. They're his loser friends. And then Eddie finds his way to the remote control, landing on a cooking show with host Bobby Flay. He seems interested, frankly more interested than he was in baseball, but his concentration is broken when his mom cuts her finger and their dad passes out from seeing the blood. His parents and two older brothers are off to the hospital, leaving Eddie, Francisco, and dB alone. The plan was to watch the baseball game, but instead Eddie suggests they make something out of the groceries he's supposed to be putting away for his mom. His friends, of course, are not jazzed about this. But Eddie starts working with ingredients like eggs, which play a massive role in this movie, huge.
Speaker 3: So many they weren't filming it here in two I was gonna twenty five word costs a million dollars budget just for.
Speaker 2: The about an eggs.
Speaker 1: It would have a Zombies four budget just because of the eggs. It'd be a forty million dollar film because of the eggs. So yes, he's working with eggs and spices until he creates a mashed potato volcano with fried chicken, breakfast cereals and vegetables. I mean, this isn't an amateur presentation at all. Do you think it looked tasty?
Speaker 3: I was interested when I saw whatever kind of like salsa or whatever he was putting on around the chicken. I was kind of like, oh, I wonder what that would be like. M But yeah, at the end results was a little I think it's because it had to be like kind of Disney ast with like the volcano or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't like my food touching like that much. Too much of a smortgarshporg that is Jordan.
Speaker 3: He just basically takes scoop scoop, scoop, swirl, swirrel swirl chomped.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's me. I'm he's I'm the squirrel squirrel scoop scoop, swirl, swirrel chomp, chomp man myself. And I don't know if you remember it, because I want to. It was Planet Hollywood. It could have been Hard Rock Cafe, but I'm ninety nine percent sure it was Planet Hollywood. They had the Captain Crunch chicken fingers, and it was the coating of the outside was cat exactly, and they had the greatest dipping sauce and they were magical, absolutely magical. So yes, they When I saw the breakfast cereal going on, I was like, oh, okay, out of like a like a fair, you know, like I bet you can find it online how to make them, and you make them in the air fire, they'd be better for you. But oh they were as all God they got the gorotchack.
Speaker 2: Got back those in the air fire. You gotta make them like a regular Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Saying it was Planet Hollywood. And the dipping sauce was also amazing. So when his family returns home, he's made a meal for them and everyone ends up loving it, but instead of fully encouraging his new talent, they poke fun at him, even calling him Edwina because you know, making food is womanly, even though by two thousand and three Bobby Flay all these huge chefs were everywhere. Gordon Ramsay, but okay, the this is when I was like, where is this going? This of course infuriates Eddie, but his dad says it shouldn't bother him. It's not like he's going to hang up his baseball cleats to make food. It's all done with a smile. But we've got another unsupportive dcom family. Yes, put him on the list. This family already sucks. Yeah. Uh, we'll get there though, we'll get there. At school the next day, it's his first day of the semester and the boys are deciding between computer science or home eck as an elective, and to go along with his culinary dreams, our baseball star Eddie really wants to take home economics, which, by the way, Home Economics is awesome. He stops by the kitchen classroom, which is decorated straight out of a Montesito Holmes magazine. He is overcome by its beauty. I don't think a high school classroom has ever been this cleaner? Pretty even on the first day, it does look stunning. I think they're all like wolf ranges. I mean it's like, it's freaking amazing this classroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was amazing. The set for this classroom was just like awesow. How could you imagine if that was real life?
Speaker 1: It was really really great. Once in the school's hallway, it is total chaos, with kids everywhere reaching for elective sign up sheets. It is a true melee. And in the scrum, Eddie picks home Ech over computer science and tricks his friends into doing the same. Furious with him and sitting in the new class they all agree to keep this a secret, even from Eddie's brothers, and that's when fellow groundhog Hannah arrives. Since she's taken field hockey for two straight years, she picked Homeck to hopefully appease her mom. Another girl, Bridget, who is played by an actress, trying to hide her new Zealand accent and really doing it unsuccessfully, to the point where I was stopping and rewinding and stopping and rewinding because there were times the mouth flaps didn't match and I thought someone had dubbed her entire performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is when I went, oh wait, because there are so many different dialects like in Shnada. So I was kind of like, okay, this is for sure not I just I finally went because for me, it either looked like Salt Lake City like we've seen or Toronto, and I was like, oh no, okay, so this is probably Toronto because of this accent that this girl has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean it was the accent was bad. But it also it looked like did they dub it? Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: It just looked a lot of dubbing in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a lot.
Speaker 2: And it was I mean you could hear it.
Speaker 3: Even if I was like to walk out of the room to go grab something or get something for like Monroe, I could hear yes, dub dub right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a lot of dubbing, a lot of overlaying, and I mean perfect example Rose mcgiver also from New Zealand, but she hit her accent great, whereas this girl not so much. Yeah. Anyway, so she's trying to hide her accent, which doesn't work. She has words with the jocks and the teacher, Miss Hadley who was hysterical in this movie, welcomes the class with entry forms to a million dollars Scolastic cookoff. Seems like a weird thing to do the first class, but okay, she was wonderful.
Speaker 3: Did you see the fact though, the fact that she's not even credited in this movie?
Speaker 2: What it says in our homework?
Speaker 1: I didn't see that part of the homework, and I to my homework.
Speaker 3: It says, despite being a main role, Nancy, miss Hadley, the home economic teacher, is not credited in the movie.
Speaker 2: That's so, isn't that wired?
Speaker 1: Because she had a huge part and she's really really she's so to me.
Speaker 2: She stole the show in this movie.
Speaker 3: So good, and I love her and the other things that she's been in, but she was awesome in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree hundred percent.
Speaker 3: That was crazy to find out she's not even credited.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's weird. We have to we'll deep dive that more because I'd like to find out what's going on there. But yes, everyone takes the form and it turns out that the students must submit an original recipe, and if they're selected for the finals, the students must participate in a live cooking test. She also explains it's not really a million dollars. It's a scholarship to an elite culinary school and a small amount of money in prizes that will equal a million dollars. So it seems like kind of a misleading contest name, but it is what it is, Eddie, Eddie's equivalent to a million dollar Yeah, just call it batter up and be done with it, please. Yeah? Either way, this has once again caught Eddie's attention. However, only over zealous Bridget takes an entry form. Oh Bridget. Francisco thinks this home economics class is going to be a cakewalk, but he immediately burns cookies and realizes that this isn't even a cookie walk. Once homeck is over, Eddie, who thinks the coast is clear, sneaks back into the classroom to get an application for the cookoff, But little does he know, Hannah saw the whole thing that night. We see the exterior of Eddie's house and wow, it's huge. This is another rich gcom family, apparently in the tradition of Smart House and Pixel Perfect. It's been a while since we've seen it, but this is a wealthy wealthy family. While his family sleeps, Eddie sneaks downstairs to come up with his own new recipe. We get a funky baseline montage as Eddie works again with eggs, lots and lots of eggs, eggs, milk, lots.
Speaker 2: Of milkg's milk, and pepper.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the heck he's trying to make, but it takes nineteen gallons of milk and thirty two dozen eggs and then he.
Speaker 2: Puts like orange. I'm like, what is he making? That looks so gross?
Speaker 1: But luckily exactly but if he's making, if he's making French toast for you know, a platoon, then he's doing it properly. But otherwise it's like what are you doing? But anyway, and there's a ton of pepper and then he whistsits so violently it completely showers his dog. Totally insane technique here, and maybe he should focus on baseball after all. And every time he makes something with the same elements he takes a bite and almost barfs. Then when he attempts a peanut butter and jelly concoction, the open blenders paints the entire kitchen just in time for one of his brothers to walk downstairs, and now we get one of the most ridiculous scenes in dcom history. The brother doesn't notice the thrashed kitchen at all, takes a bite of one of Eddie's sandwiches covered in random ingredients, and then just brings it upstairs. I don't know if he's sleepwalking, sleep eating, he's on ambient I don't know what the hell it is, but it was so he didn't notice actual peanut butter dripping from the ceiling.
Speaker 2: The dog that looks like he went off jumped in a pool of milk, like.
Speaker 1: And this happens so many times in this movie. He destroys the kitchen beyond cleanup, but never gets caught. And I mean destroys this kitchen top to bottom, ceiling, dripping disgustingness.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like but the good thing, I mean, yes, so this he doesn't get caught. But I do think there's times where, especially at this age, where you start start making food for yourself, right, your mom's starting to have you make your own sandwiches and all that kind of stuff or whatever, and then you start learning to just like lather. I mean, I remember anytime we had like mashed potato leftovers.
Speaker 2: I was in the kitchen doing something with the smash potato, you know.
Speaker 3: So this is like definitely what I think is really fun to watch how Disney kind of keep clues in to write where.
Speaker 2: Like, these kids actually would do this.
Speaker 3: But it's not weird for a kid to sneak downstairs, not necessarily sneak, just get up and go I'm hungry and go downstairs and start.
Speaker 1: But man, do they take it to the extreme for the next level destroys everything.
Speaker 2: And the worst part is, you're right, no one notices.
Speaker 1: No one notices, no one notices ow. Yeah, very strange. We are back on the baseball field. His dad knows his son is distracted by something. He wants Eddie to stop playing with food and to quote stop dancing around like a little girl unquote. But that means starting to think this movie is a metaphor for something else, because how would wanting to be a chef having him dancing around like a little girl be the same thing. And so this is where I thought, maybe this is just a movie about coming out as gay. Oh really, which is how Disney wrote a movie about coming out as gay in two thousand and three. Now they just write a movie about coming out as gay. Right then, this seemed like that was what this metaphor was about. Was this was Eddie coming out as gay, and that's the way they did it. He wants to be a chef? What a girl? And it was like what yeah.
Speaker 3: And again, and I think it's true that to me, the home at class of it sort of made it more sent like because you know that messaging just doesn't like hold up in til twenty five with men not being chefs.
Speaker 1: Like it didn't hold up in two thousand and three. I'm sorry, no, And when I was looking to go to culinary school, okay.
Speaker 3: Right, like so, I mean I would think maybe the home at class at a at a junior high. Maybe that because when I think of home, I don't necessarily always think of just baking.
Speaker 2: I think of like the sewing, and just like.
Speaker 1: We did all. That's how I know how I knew how to do everything when I moved out to my house at sixteen.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like going, like, I guess that is, but it's just it's so far from like reality. And even back then there were those shows, but you know, I don't know, it's just kind of like it's the same way as like when when we first watched High School Musical. So he can't just do yeah, just do both and both Like there's really just no way to make it both.
Speaker 2: I get it if they're on the same day like this is, but like, he can't just.
Speaker 1: Do me again. That's another thing that that Disney executive told me after that pitch. She's like, the kids today don't buy that. You can't just do two things. Yes, you know, kids are going to karate and they're going to the library. They're also in the play. They do it. It's like kids today are doing nine hundred things. So she's like, almost to a person, the kids we showed something like High School Musical or Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff two were like, why does any he just do both the things? Yeah, so yeah, that's none of that. None of that works anymore because the kids are doing more. Well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's how it should be.
Speaker 2: You cannot do it.
Speaker 1: Eddie swears baseball is his priority and lies saying he signed up for computer science, but we all know he's dancing around like a little girl in Homeck. Yes, I want to say it. And the next day in homeck. While most of the students are dozing off, Bridget and Eddie are the only ones interested, and they're focusing on the learning, so much so that Eddie teams up with Bridget for the cooking lesson. He wants to know if she's mastered her cookoff recipe yet and if peanut butter would be an accepted ingredient, But dB interrupts to ask what he's even doing talking to this recipe nerd, who, by the way, Bridget is a stunningly gorgeous young girl, uh that everyone in the entire school would be trying to talk to, so trying to paint her as a First of all, everyone treats this girl like the whole movie poor thing, this entire movie she is.
Speaker 3: There is a definite aspect of her being annoying. But it's so weird how mean they are to her, especially these three boys. You would think they would be like drooling over her. They asked one time, is there something he does?
Speaker 2: dB? Is there something going on here? And that's when I'm like, Okay, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's let's like vibe op of the fact that he could be just trying to flirt with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also when I saw her, I was like, Okay, she's gonna be the really pretty, really popular mean girl in the school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't She's annoying, but she's not mean.
Speaker 1: No, they made her and they just everyone treats her terribly the whole movie and trying to make her like a recipe Nerd just did. It was like, really, that's who you cast? So you cast the girl who can't hide her accent, who's a ten out of ten for in when you're in middle school, and it's like, this is who What were your other choices? And I'm not trying to bash on this girl, but it's like, come on, so strange.
Speaker 2: I know, she was so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just miscast. I'm sorry, but she was just miscast. Everyone is starting to become suspicious that Eddie wants to be a chef, but he still denies it, claiming he hates the class and was only talking in bridget to start a food fight, which of course then breaks out, creating every homecked teacher's worst nightmare. Every student gets involved, and this must have been a crazy scene to film. It's eventually stopped by the school's principal, but the kids are still proud of how great the food fight was. You and I have talked about the food fight you're in in the food fights I've done. Yeah, you're usually cold and it's gross and you're slipping and sliding all the place. But it's fun.
Speaker 3: Fun at first, yes, And then if you have to do any pickups or anything at.
Speaker 2: So it's gross, like you could start smelling the food.
Speaker 3: You're, like you said, slipping on everything, Like it gets the point where and so then now you're covered in Oh god, it gets gross really fast.
Speaker 1: But it does.
Speaker 3: The beginning of it is like a dream come true.
Speaker 1: For a kid. For a kid, it's like, wait, I get to do this, and I'm allowed to do this, and.
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to do this.
Speaker 1: This is the coolest. But then yeah, it gets really nasty really quick, really really quickly.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: It really does. But in the aftermath, the students stumble on a gross purple and green concoction, but for some reason, Francisco tastes it and it's delicious. This also, this worked for me. It resonated because there's always like, Hey, I'm gonna put the ketchup mustard. Everything, I'm gonna put in one little gin and then bet my friends to drink it. That's kind of what this was. I thought that should have gone up. I'll bet you, I'll bet you to do it.
Speaker 2: That's such a guy thingg girl girls would not do that. I'm not drinking that. I'm not drinking it either. I'm not gonna drink it. Then it'd be like, hey, Ryan, come drink this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all good, it's all good. Yeah. It turns out to be incredible barbecue sauce, and that gives Eddie an idea, and maybe Eddie has just found his cookoff recipe. Now is this legal? This wasn't his recipe that everybody threw stuff in a bowl? Is this a stolen thing? He didn't come up with this. He didn't like make a recipe.
Speaker 2: He didn't make a recipe, but he definitely saw.
Speaker 3: Oh it clicked that you could put those kinds of ingredients in it and make a really good barbecue recipe.
Speaker 1: I guess, but it's like, it's yeah, he should have made something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the next baseball game, Eddie is distracted by his purple barbecue slime, which he apparently put in a jar and now carries with him. Everywhere he goes, which is odd, and when a teammate, Oliver gets into it needs it like a creep. Coach Hank wants to know what's going on, and luckily for Eddie, Hannah steps up to lie. She says it's her mom's recipe, pulling the heat off of Eddie, and with that out of the way, Eddie then wins the game with a walk off home run. The team has a party to celebrate, and Coach Hank even congratulates Tana by saying she's quote one of the guys unquote, and he thinks that they can actually beat the Eagles this year, insulting their coach for what he does for a living. He's a you know, a woman's job. And this movie continues to really dive headfirst into gender issues. It's really kind of weird. And I know we're looking at it through the lens now of what it used to be, but I like to think even back then, the coach wouldn't be saying you're you know, you run like a girl and you throw like a girl. All that. I don't know. Also, at this point, can we induct coach Eddie into the Terrible dcom deat.
Speaker 3: Club yes, absolutely, okay, absolutely, He induct.
Speaker 1: Him like a girl, like a little girl. We're gonna put him in there. And the next day at school, Eddie finds out that Bridget is finishing up her cookoff recipe and it's finalizing everything with Miss Hadley so that every measurement is just perfect, because if something goes wrong, you get disqualified. This news, of course, terrifies Eddie, who's been making a sauce by dousing every dog in the night and just throwing ingredients around the room and hoping his brother doesn't notice. So he runs off to start scientific examinations. But when he finds his mom at home, he decides tell the truth about the contest, but she already knows he left out his entry for him, and Eddie swears it's not a quote stupid girl thing unquote, especially since so many hosts on the Food Channel are guys. But she doesn't care. She just encourages him and promises him she won't tell his dad or brothers. And again, it kept coming off to me like they were playing this as if he was coming out. It just seemed that way. I don't know, I'm sure, I don't know if it was done on purpose or but that's just what it played, as we then enter a montage of Bridget getting bullied at school. Of course, Hannah continued to lie to her mom about cheerleading and Eddie waiting for a word from the cookoff, and somehow the Groundhogs keep winning with Eddie as their MVP. And then Miss Hadley has very big news. The cookoff called and Bridget is in the finals. But she's not the only one. The other finalist is Eddie. He's thrilled, and the class is surprisingly very excited, surrounding him with congratulations. They don't give it about Bridget. No one cares about her at all, except for dB who is visibly hurt with this secret. Eddie admits to dB he kept it from him because he knew he'd think it was stupid, and Dbie just wants to know one thing, do you like Homeck, which again is said in the exact same tone in the early two thousands as are you gay? It just did it all came out that way? Eddie finally admits that he does like Homeck, but still plays off the cookoff as a joke. But now Eddie must deal with the acceptance letter sent to his house which was intercepted and then ripped up like kind of by accident, but still by his dude brothers and more importantly seen by his dad. Coach Hank does not understand this cookoff thing and is mad that Eddie snuck around behind his back, especially after he found out his mom already knew, But his dad assures Eddie the worst is yet to come. He was right, though, because even though the home neck class was happy for him, the rest of the student body is now bullying him into oblivion. Even the cheerleaders jokingly ask if he wants to try out, but Eddie still is training to do so. He ignores DB's desire to play catch and works with Bridget Miss Hadley, who, by the way, is we've talked about it steals this film. Oh good, so funny.
Speaker 2: He feels it. You're right, he really does.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. We get another montage now, with Eddie secretly watching Bobby Flay at home, peeling fruit and coming up short for the Groundhogs. The shift to focus is causing even more tension with his teammates, especially dB, who is disturbed by his best friend's feminine interests. But if the Groundhogs win, one more game, they'll face the Eagles in the championship, and that's when Eddie learns if the Groundhogs make it to the finals, it will be on the same day as the cookoff. He has no idea what he'll do, which really puts dB over the edge. They argue in the lunch room and end up wrestling on the floor, which triggers another huge food fight, this time with the entire school joining in, and it is a massive scene. We have to talk to Daddy Hoan about shooting these scenes, so let's get onto that. By the way, I have every intention of calling him Daddy Hoen when he gets on the podcast again. I don't wait.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna literally put his face on across my entire screen for him to see his reaction when you do that, because it's gonna be so funny.
Speaker 1: He is the daddy of the d com Daddy Hohen, and this decision is now weighing heavily on Eddie. He's so frustrated that he decides to take it out on Miss Hadley and all of the poor carrots that they're cutting. He's sick of having no friends, being disowned by his dad and teased by his brothers, and so he officially quits. And now with miss Hatley alone with Bridget, it's got the star cooking student thinking about her own struggles with popularity, and we get what might just be the funniest exchange we've ever seen a d com. Let's listen to it here.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's why everybody makes fun of me because I love to cook?
Speaker 1: No? Oh no, there are plenty of other reasons. Ah, he's the best. That was so good, so funny.
Speaker 3: So many of those like little TV tiny she does, They're great good And now it's like, how is she never the funny mom on a sitcom?
Speaker 1: Or something like because she's man, she's good. Yes, And now it is time for the Groundhog's big game. If they win, they'll face the Eagles for the championship. But Eddie is nowhere to be found, and coach mentions that the opposing team's third basement throws like a girl, which offends Kimberly a girl on the Groundhogs. And when another player, who overheard coach hanks sexism in the past, reveals his dad as a nurse, we finally get a little bit of come upance for Eddie's dad. It was nice that somebody stood up in their lives. She's like, I am a girl, shut up. It was great. And then Eddie, Yeah you want rocks? Yeah, go you bite me face. And then Eddie finally gets the game, setting off an incredible montage of the Groundhogs winning over the very popular song center Field by John Fogerty. This is a shocker, big money spent here by Disney, which we very rarely see. Sabrina, did you know the song?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've had it, and I've had a baseball theme for one of my routines. And then yeah, this is like the biggest, like besides take me out to the ball game, this is the biggest song.
Speaker 1: The baseball game. Yeah, it is a baseball song. It really is. Yep, and the team celebrates the win once again at Eddie's house, but mid party, guess who shows up the FB I No, I'm kidd I'm seeing if you're still with me, it's actually Miss Hadley. She wants to talk to Eddie and his parents about his quitting. She thinks Eddie has to be at the cookoff, but now that the Groundhogs are playing in the finals, he doesn't have a choice. I feel like I'm going to say the groundlings every single time, by.
Speaker 2: The way I know.
Speaker 1: I yeah, it's the groundhogs. And he doesn't have a choice, and coach Hank agrees. Miss Hadley explains that his passion, talent, and instinct in the kitchen is special. She thinks he was born to cook, but knows the cards are stacked against her. She just asked that Eddie sleep on it and not decide until the morning. Eddie agrees, but his dad is sure he'll be on the field that night. Eddie can't sleep. He finds himself back in the kitchen, pulling ingredients from the fridge, doing what he loves. We get some experimental hot jazz as he dances around like a girl. I guess is that I don't know what they're doing, and makes a zucchini casserole, which frankly looks delicious. He tastes it and glance at the cookoff invite, just as we notice his dad is secretly watching from upstairs. The next morning, at the cookoff, Eddie arrives in his baseball uniform just to check it out before his game, and he's so impressed by what he sees. It's basically that thing at Epcot, where you get to eat food in every country, and there are dream kitchen setups for eight contestants where I guess one middle school in Chicago has two finalists, which is theirs. And when Eddie stumbles on what would have been his workstation, he's confronted by none other than Bobby Flay, whoa not only big time cameo, but if they flew Bobby Flay all the way to New Zealand just to do like a couple days of shooting, that's pretty impressive. Lots of money there. He's there covering the event for the Food Network because of course we all know the Food Network closely follows middle school cooking, and he tells Eddie to get ready fast. Eddie tells his hero he won't be competing because of a baseball game, so Flay understands and wishes him luck. But when Eddie wants to know how Bobby Flay cracks an egg again lots of egg stuff with one hand, the professional chef jokes he needs to stick around to get that answer, and we're back on the baseball field. Eddie's dad is concerned his son hasn't arrived yet, but soon after Eddie bikes up ready to win. Eddie is baseball focused. He knows it's time to beat the Eagles, and the Groundhogs look great. They take an early lead and Eddie fights do some trash talk to hit a home run. They're up three to nothing and the cookoff is about to begin. Hilariously, there is a TV in the Groundhog's dugout, which kills me.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: It's, of course, on the Food Network. Bobby Flay is explaining the rules. Hearing the play by play is obviously affecting Eddie's focus. Also, when is he a running TV? Ever been in the dugout? And how do they have cable? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean unless it's like an actual like an actual stadium at baseball stadium. This is not happening. I don't get it, pee.
Speaker 1: Wee, no, even in the baseball stage. I mean yeah, it's all very odd. Now Eddie's at that With the score tied at three, he quickly strikes out. The cookoff has just begun, and reality is sinking back in. He knows where he should really be. Eddie proceeds to make an error, giving the Eagles a one run lead, and Francisco is still watching the cookoff and the dugout, much to DB's dismay, but Francisco and Hannah stand up for Eddie and pursuing his real love of cooking, and then Debe finally gets it, so of course he verbally attacks Eddie a joke. He said, the Groundhogs don't need him. They don't want him. They don't need him on the team. Hope you're hit by a car on the way time. It's like, wow, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Kept waiting for him to crack a smile, being like, I'm just kidding, dude, Go get do what you want to go do right now.
Speaker 1: He does the Timmy and Lassie thing. I don't love you, Lassie, runaway Lassie, like throwing rocks at poor Lassie. Geez. So he finally he says they don't want him on the team. He finally cracks a little smile and forces Eddie to do what he has to do. They'll win the game without him. Kachenk tries to stop Eddie, but his mom offers a ride to the cookoff, he'll get there faster, and then Kimberly, the player who hits like a girl, hits a double to tie the game. Back at the Ogdens, Eddie's brother tunes into the cookoff just as Eddie runs in to join the competition, which apparently only has an hour left, so he's already behind the eight ball. We jump back and forth between the cookoff and the game, with Eddie grinding out his dish and the Groundhogs now down by two runs. In the dugout, the team is still focused on the TV and the cookoff coverage, especially when Eddie's chocolate pie deflates. Want Coach hankses his team, wishing they could help their teammate, but Hannah's at that as the bases are loaded, and just then her mom arrives to check on her cheerleading. Hannah quickly throws on her pink uniform, but her mom knows something's up. She found a batting glove in her jeans. Hannah admits she's not a cheerleader, she's actually one of the better shortstops in the league, and her mom admits she's disappointed, not by baseball, but by the fact that Hannah thought she had to lie to her and her mom wouldn't support her. She says they'll talk later, but for now, she needs to go win this game for her team and it's that unconditional love that finally reaches coach Dad Hello on a mission to get to his son. He tells the assistant coach, hey, you take over from here, and gets in his car and leaves. Nope, that's not what he does at all. He rushes to the umpire and argues until he's ejected from the game for some reason. I don't know why he didn't just leave. And then seconds later he arrives at the cookoff to help his son, because of course, the baseball field is directly next to the cooking championship. I mean, it's like seconds and he's there. He like it, yep, and he's there yep. And he's there to help his son, and you know he's he's gonna be his head, sue Chef miraculate. Of course, never cooked to Dan in his life, but he's there to help miraculously. This field must be next to him that his dad then just cracks an egg like Bobby Flay with one hand. What maybe his dad has done cooking? Well, you know what they say, everyone experiments with cooking in college. We're once again cutting between the cookoff and the baseball game. What's so funny Sabrina just really good. That's true. We're once again cutting between the cookoff and the baseball game, both coming down to the wire, less than two minutes left for Eddie, and he tells his confused dad to add peppers to his chocolate dessert and chocolate to his chicken. And now with two outs and then winning run at the plate, it's up to dB. He takes the first two pitches for strikes. Things aren't looking great for the groundlings, and meanwhile Eddie finishes a mole plate just as his meathead brothers arrived to Cheerman And anybody ever cooked anything in their life knows that you can't do molay, even a bad one, in an hour. It's not molay like cooks all day long. What do you think in Eddie, You're not gonna win anyway, we are back at the game. DBI is looking at his final pitch with fifteen seconds left, and Eddie at his workstation realizes his lemon dish didn't set and the problem is he needs to include lemons in the meal. It's part of the challenge or he'll be kicked out. So down to his last few seconds, his dad fastball throws him a lemon and Eddie quickly shaves small slices of it to garnish his plate, and at the same time dB hits home run to win the game. Whooo, Nope, not what happens. He actually just dinks a tiny grounder right in front of home plate. His teammates screamed to run, and Francisco scores, knocking the ball out of the catcher's glove to tie the game. DBI, still running the bases, eventually caught in a slow motion game of pickle. Now, while we wait to see how that plays out, Bobby Flay announces the winner of the cookoff. It's Bridget Bridget one because again, can't make a molley in an hour. What a swerve. But dB does score. In the end, the Groundhogs have beaten the Eagles nine to eight. You lose some, you win some, You cook some. Mole takes all day. Eddie looks devastated to have lost the cook off. Eddie, by the way, anybody who watches any cooking show knows that anybody tries to make a mole, that all the professional stefs are like, really, you can't make a mole. It's like yeah, anyway, Eddie, looks devastated to have lost the cookoff. Tears are welling up in his eyes. His dad apologizes, but Eddie just wants to leave. He can't believe he lost, but his dad explains he didn't lose. He did something he loves and he's really good at it too. He wants his son to do whatever makes him happy, because winner lose, they'll always be a team. As they hug the groundhogs run in, Eddie apologizes for letting them down, but they reveal they won and they circle around him to celebrate. Francisco runs off to Bobby Flay to let him know that his friend Eddie was the best cook no matter what the judges say, and Flay seems to agree, but he points to Eddie and his friends and explains he looks like a winner to me. Coachank suggests they all go eat to celebrate, and Eddie suggests Eddie doggs. He even invites the dorky yet stunningly beautiful Bridget to join. And that's our movie. Who I think it's time for some real reviews and I get the five star this week. I'm very excited about the five star review. It is from CMC, which sounds a bit like a professional wrestler. Eddie the jock goes through all of the angst, guilt, rejection, and fear that any fourteen year old boy would have upon realizing he was quote unquote different. However, Disney and their infinite wisdom super sanitizes the story so Eddie comes out as chef instead of gay. I won't criticize it too much because it was two thousand and three, but it's cute and entertaining if you don't have much to do. Five stars, Sabrina, what do you got?
Speaker 3: I got a one star over here with Ricky you you'll love this movie if you like cooking.
Speaker 2: Problem is I hate cooking?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well that sums it up, doesn't it. There we go, oh man, and now, of course, to Sabrina's favorite portion of the program. We are coming to our eat Your game and producer Jensen is putting us through the wringer yet again. This game is called four Ingredients to honor the cooking skills of Eddie Ogden. We're looking at the kitchen for this week's game. We'll be given a popular dish and three ingredients used to make it, but it's missing the fourth and final ingredient. We have to guess what that fourth ingredient is. Three out of five wins. Producer Jensen. Do you have your apron on? Are you ready? Bone a petit? Here we go Number one garlic, butter, pasta, spaghetti, butter, garlic and sabrina.
Speaker 2: It's already cooked garlic. Let me see. I don't know that it could be anything.
Speaker 1: Well, it can't technically be anything. I know. I think I know what it is. You wouldn't put ketchup on this, No, I would say salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess salt.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good guess. It's a good guess. But this answer is parmesan on cheese. Oh but the parmesan is is I guess for a that's a garnish on the top. If you like, I don't like salt. Salt salts in the water and salt. You need salt is an ingredient? I would think, I don't think you need salt. I think you need parmesan cheese. Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: I would also be like, it's fair to say you need water.
Speaker 1: Well, that's ingred ingredients. Okay, all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna get in my own head I'm giving myself that one for salt. But anyway. Number two capraisee skewers, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, balsamic blaze, and you need the I mean this one is on every this one I think I got.
Speaker 3: Will if well salt, salt if I what if I said the skewer.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly, you said the green little leaf. I'll give you the name. I think it's basil. Yeah, I'll give it to you. I'll Number three peanut butter, banana, toast bread, banana, peanut butter, and ummmm, the toaster.
Speaker 2: Like probably don't you have to have some kind of glaze on it? Honey, Honey, I would say.
Speaker 1: Honey, it is correct, So Brina, Brian, Honey, there we go. Uh. Number four Greek yogurt parfe. Number one Greek yogurt, two honey, three berries and granola. Yeah you guys, you got it. Three three, three answers. You got one just for fun here, yeah, one, here's for funzies.
Speaker 3: Number five, Oh, breakfast tacos could be anything.
Speaker 1: But will said salt. I guarantee you no one thought you were getting this, No, exactly, Number five breakfast tacos tortilla, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese and salt. No, I'm kidding, tortillas, scrambled eggs, spread cheese, and SALTA it happens. It's salta yeah, it's saltsa. Yes, yes, I'm giving myself the first one for salt. By the way, So I went five for five easily. Can we do some Sabrina sees yes?
Speaker 3: Oh man, I mean, in all honesty, they've all been said, everything has been said through this this script today.
Speaker 2: So I really don't have a ton.
Speaker 3: I did notice, just kind of from like other things with the the stuff we get. This actually released almost one month, like to the day, almost before the Cheatah first Cheetah Girls movie.
Speaker 2: So I shock because I felt like this one seemed a.
Speaker 3: Little bit older than our first movie in maybe just maybe just what they were talking about is what made me think that.
Speaker 2: What did you think about the music? We didn't talk about that.
Speaker 3: That's one thing we didn't talk about that made a huge difference in what made me think it was an older movie as well.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I didn't other than the John Fogerty song, I don't remember any of it.
Speaker 3: It was just kind of it was what back then the Brink of the Johnny Like, it was just like it wasn't ska like those two movies actually have, but like that old school kind of no, not anything real recognizable except for that one, but you know, but like kind of just like the like viscript.
Speaker 2: Dis yeah, Disney movie music. So that was kind of nice. I actually kind of liked it.
Speaker 3: Since we've done so many musicals and music plays such a big part in some of the movies we've done, it was nice for it to just be a kind of mellow soundtrack that didn't have wasn't like a basically a character in the movie. And then another one was just shout out to Orlando Brown. I worked with him like years prior to these two movies being done on a commercial and then I ended up hiring his manager to manage me, who managed me while I did the first movie. So Orlando was like I got to go visit him on set, and I was really kind of able to know Orlando right during this exact time of him making this movie, and he was such a cute Disney character and anything he does, like he's got that like over the top, like big facials, beat your Kid energy, Yes he does. I think I love I think he was like for me, especially watching him in this movie. He was like the prime of what was on the Disney Channel at this time, and so that was kind of really, honestly, my last one. I've got the old school TV than the one that's in the thing. I've got the food fight, I've got you know, following, I've got ground dogs make me think of groundlings.
Speaker 2: All of those things. Everything we talked about already. So those are just a few few ones we didn't we didn't hit today.
Speaker 1: I love it. And now it's time to rate our film. I honestly, I feel like we haven't done this in a while. I don't even remember who went last and who didn't go last. Oh man, how about that? Pick a number between one and ten?
Speaker 2: Is that the rating?
Speaker 1: Go ahead? No, just pick a number and see who's gonn go first? Picking on Brie. No, you're wrong, so you go first, kid?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Okay, So this movie was harder for me than than the movies we've been watching, because I'm torn. To me, this is what like a Disney Channel movie was kind of like at this time, which wasn't the is so far from the level of what we get now, right, So that is like two different feelings for me. One, it makes me kind of go, this was a Disney Channel movie, like this is this is what was coming out every like, like I said, it was a month before our so this was when they were coming out monthly, right, you know what I mean? Yeah, there wasn't anything like super special about it.
Speaker 2: I liked the idea of, you know, a chef.
Speaker 3: I think that that is so cool for a kid to think, like, oh my gosh, like I want to be a chef.
Speaker 2: I love cooking in the kitchen. I love that. You know, we've already seen you know, we always see baseball.
Speaker 3: That's not like something different with chef is that we get that little what do you call it, the little micro world type thing, you.
Speaker 1: Know, which at the time it was getting more popular, but it was it where it is now certainly.
Speaker 2: No, So I definitely I was torn.
Speaker 3: There's parts of it where I was kind of like, Okay, you know it, I'll go with it whatever, And then there's other parts like some of maybe not you know, maybe not always the best acting or the accents a lot of use of which makes me also kind of gear into a lot of that dubbing that we saw probably was because of maybe some of that.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a tough one and I'm just gonna have to kind of go right down the middle.
Speaker 2: Paul Hoan's a part of it. So it gets bumped up a little bit.
Speaker 3: And we haven't even talked about what we're doing with these yet, so I can't say what my rating is.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk.
Speaker 1: About right, Oh my god, that's right, our options. Let's I want to tell you, no, I didn't. If you're right, do we want to do one out of ten players? One out of ten, misleading contest names, one out of ten, enemies of small business, cookie walks, intricate food fights, one out of ten. Reasons You're unpopular? One out of ten expensive John Fogerty songs, dugout TVs or I'm gonna want to add ups batter ups wants let's do that one out of ten batter Ups.
Speaker 3: Even though that's a great name, this movie's gonna get a six out of ten batter ups because.
Speaker 2: It really was like hard for me. At parts of it, I was like what, And.
Speaker 3: Then parts of it I was like, well, it's like the time, it's of the time, it's of the time. So I'm just out of six. Don't hate me, Paul, I love you still.
Speaker 1: Daddy, Daddy? Did you just say I love you daddy? Owen? Is that because that's gonna get now we're getting creepier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get back somebody that right.
Speaker 1: I vote keep it in. So I agree with everything you said. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. It is hearing that this was a month from because I think I think the more we're looking into this world of d cooms, the more we can really see the delineation between I'm gonna call it PCG pre Cheetah Girls and also PCG Post Treated Girl Cheata Girls, because I think after the Cheetah Girls and the success that they had with your film, it did change what they were looking for. Then came the high school musicals and the teen beaches and all that. It became much more grand. So this was kind of like the last of these movies that, like you said, were thrown out. They were there every month. It was cute. It was the you get cute kids to kind of say the lines, and you introduced a microworld, whether it be rollerblading or whether it be cooking or whatever it is. So yes, I think this was kind of the last of that era before the new post Cheetah Girls era started, which changed everything for the dcom. That being said, this wasn't that great a version of that. Some of the acting wasn't great, some of the writing wasn't great. The direction's awesome. It's Paul ho and I mean obviously, but you know, again, they bullied the hell out of this girl who was horribly miscast the gender thing. I really do think they were going for kind of a coming out story, I really do. But overall, just it was an okay movie. It's kind of right down the middle. I was gonna give it a five if anybody else but Paul Hoan directed it, and I'm gonna agree with you entirely. I'm gonna give this six batter ups are a better title because it was just kind of like I finished and I went that was a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I watched and I think.
Speaker 3: You know what's also hard is because we're getting input from the fans of our podcast of what they want to see and what they want us to rewatch.
Speaker 2: This one was kind of.
Speaker 3: Talked up, kind of a lot, so they they might have been a little bit of the reason why we were expecting something more.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I agree, I agree one hundred percent. So it's uh, yeah, I think we're on the se same, the same.
Speaker 2: Well look at that, at us, look at that. I feel like we have been done one of these in so long.
Speaker 1: I right back in simatico sim patigo. Now our next movie, what's one of the bones we were just talking about. It's gonna be a sequel that we've been waiting for. It's twenty fifteen's teen Beach two. This time it's personal. The time traveling musical is back. And if you remember how the original one ended, and I had to rack my brain to remember this, I may need to watch some of the first one.
Speaker 2: I think I might do that. Yeah, I think I might do.
Speaker 1: I think our friends from the sixties will be visiting modern day now. So that's exciting. It's a reversal. Remember they were like they came off the came out of the water at the end. So yeah, but first before we get there, we mentioned it earlier, and now we will return to an old favorite. Rip girls. Yes, Janie' tsunami. We talked to the man who plays Sydney's dad, actor Dwyer Brown. We chatted all about his time in New Zealand, pretending it was why and what it was like shooting a surf dcom. Let's get a little preview of what you're here this week on the dedicated magical rewind Feed. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had me audition, and you know, I it was exciting because I you know, the show takes place in Hawaii, and I thought, oh, man, if I get to get Hawaii, that's my favorite way to travel. You go, you know, get getting paid to be some beautiful player. So I was very excited about it. And when I ended up getting it, what was even more crazy was that they said we're shooting in Australia, and I'm like, that's even better.
Speaker 1: You know, he was cool and that was a very good conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, All you need to do is subscribe to the magical rewind Feed wherever you get your podcasts, and just like that, you'll never miss another episode. You can even just rewatch over and over and over again. How much I loved Double Team. We have interview after interview with some of the most magical dcom stars of all time. So what are you waiting for. For more information, you can follo us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. It's on the intranet's people by