Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Cool People who did cool stuff. You're a weekly reminder that we live in hell. No wait, that's unrelated the fact that we live in hell world. You're a weekly reminder that when bad things are happening, you could do good things because it's bad otherwise. Yes, I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and my guest today is prop How are you hey man?
Speaker 3: Uh well, where do we begin?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're recording this at the end of January twenty twenty five, so if you're listening in the future, this is either a blissful time to look back at or just obviously where everything went wrong.
Speaker 3: I just don't know how many months January has. Why is.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean I'm excited for this because it's going to be a sign that, like you said, in this hell we live in, every once in a while there are people that are tall drinks of water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people, people get shited done. In real bad times, people get shit done like this month where your city caught on fire and uh, nothing else bad happened.
Speaker 5: I will say in spirit of cool people like from street level to like even our government, like civics, like people snapped into snapped into work. One thing we will always say is La loves La and like we got busy, Like we got busy. I am very impressed at how fast we were already ready to go. But when by the time the city bureocracy was able to like you know, stand up all the stuff they needed to stand up, we was already ready and like, yeah, there hasn't been except for the rent price gouging.
Speaker 2: But it's the people coming in after that do all the damage.
Speaker 3: It's the people coming in after. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But like I've been like just so impressed dude, people, Like I was in a spot where somebody learned Spanish just so that they can communicate. Like it was super dope, Like I was translating for a little bit, but then after a while he was like, oh wait, I'm gonna learn, So it was pretty dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah fuck yeah yeah. Our producer is Sophie, who's also here. Hi Sophie.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 1: Do you remember on our Q and A when somebody was like asking us about sourdough bread and we were like, we don't do that. I made sourdough bread. Boom.
Speaker 2: Do you think the QA was part of your nod?
Speaker 1: My wonderful friend Molly also Molly for listening. Hi Molly, not Molly who works on cools. On different Molly. Also great Molly. Oh, there's good Molly's.
Speaker 3: A lot of Molly's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Molly's a pretty good Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't mind him. Molly crazy drug though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I say, I've had a little bit of fun on Molly.
Speaker 1: But Molly Trefacta was like, take this cooking class with me, and we signed up like two months ago and we took this class.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of things you can make fun of about Portland, and then there's other stuff that like, yeah, but that's kind of dope.
Speaker 1: No, it was very charm It was like very lovely, but it was it was peak Portland, but in a good way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can make fun of Portland as much. Oh my god, you're take a salarial class. It's like, actually, sour dough is pretty delicious and it's pretty cool that you could make it because we have gluten issues.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly. And I took this class. I got my starter, I got my dough, and I made soured nough bread and I waited the like cool down period. I was like, oh, it looks like bread. Is it bread? Because it looked like bread. But I was like, does it taste delicious?
Speaker 2: So it looked real good. I got to see it. None of you all can, only the three of us can.
Speaker 5: It looks amazing. I ain't gonna hold you got the nice crisp on top man.
Speaker 3: Yeah it looks good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if anybody wants to message me to talk about bread, cool, that's my that's my plug.
Speaker 2: Which is saying a lot because normally Sophie doesn't want to be messaged about whatever random thing you think. I've all listening to this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I really like.
Speaker 1: But I really like when people are like, no, like I know this shit, this is my take, and I'm like, okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Can appreciate that when you know what you're talking.
Speaker 1: About, because I took one class and I made bread once and I was like, wow, I'm amazing.
Speaker 3: I am a baker, you know what.
Speaker 5: Actually, somebody DMed me on some like correcting some history stuff that I like, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Most of the time. I'm like, I have a degree in this stuff.
Speaker 5: So like, uh, you want to you want to pick a write off camera one of the nine books on the topic that you talk about, But this time I was like, shit, actually, am I stay corrected?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: You know, so I appreciate what somebody knows what they're talking about, you know.
Speaker 2: I really like because I cover things all the time that are like not my background or experience, right, you know, and I'm like, I hope I'm doing right by the people of the play. So I'm talking about the history of because that's all I can hope to do and hearing from people and sometimes they're like, hey, you got it like ninety percent right, and I'm like, you know what, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: And usually it's a it's more of a like, oh, that's one way that people usually talk about it, but it's actually kind of like this, and I'm like, well that's amazing, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes you want to do it again, huh.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: For me, I'm like, damn, I want to record again, I know.
Speaker 2: And it makes me like wish I could just kind of stay in a topic for like months, but I would actually get bored. My brain doesn't work that way.
Speaker 3: We all would, Yeah, it'd be the worst. Speaking of which, I might have left the stove on give me a second.
Speaker 2: La burns down again.
Speaker 3: Nope, cool. Everything's fine. Please keep this in.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, So let's see our audio engineer is Rory. Everyone wants to say hi to Rory. Hi Rory.
Speaker 3: So Rory. I never met Rory.
Speaker 1: Rory is so cool? Sorry, Hi Roy. I was like, Rory's really cool guy. Ory has a very good looking dog, okay, and Rory has has a cool beard AFFECTA.
Speaker 2: That's that's my that's good things.
Speaker 1: That's all the Internet gets to know about Rory.
Speaker 2: Where Yeah, that's that might even be more than the Internet should now, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, but you would like him, prop.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Our theme musical was written for us by un woman and prop.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw among the things that the government decided to shut down, besides everything else, was the celebration of DEI holidays like Black History Month. Oh yeah, what's your opinion about Black History Month? A?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, yeah, I remember jun teenth wasn't a holiday until two years ago. And it's not like we wasn't celebrating it. I feel like I feel about it. It's historical importance. You know, I'm the child of the Black panther, so we always go hard on Black History Month. So like there's a part of me that will always appreciate it. I love anytime that as corny as it or as like vapid as it might be, it's still pushing to the front things the stuff that I've swam in my whole life, and you know, understandings of obviously it could stand to be deeper. I don't get into the whole like why I got to be the shortest month or a year, you know what I'm saying. But I know I, as a black child, benefited from having this month happened, you know.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, like I don't whatever, you know, like yeah, whatever, like you're not.
Speaker 5: What are you gonna You're gonna hang your kin take cloths at at you know, at the Southwest Airlines, like like at the gate, Like you go to the gate, they got a can't take cloth on it, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm like, cool, thanks exist.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't forget we exist.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I didn't forget we existed.
Speaker 5: I'm glad that you took a second to you know, design your I don't know, it's like it's you get so many years away from it, Like it's hard, right because in its inception, You're like, this was amazing, even just June teams becoming a national holiday. It's like, well, how about some healthcare and some reparations, But at the same time it's important.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know what I'm saying, But like you.
Speaker 5: Can once you get a few years away from it, You're like, I hate to be. What I'm trying to say is I hate to be the like privileged generation that didn't have to fight for it, that don't see its importance now, you know what I'm saying. Like that's always like the hard part for me because it's like whatever. But like if I were, you know, with Abernathy on the Bridge, you know what I'm saying, I would be like, nigg you go celebrate this like it's I mean, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it makes sense to me because I've always like, like with this podcast, I was like, well, I'm not going to specifically set asp and do black history in February because I'm trying to cover black history. Because because if you try and cover radical history in the Western hemisphere and you don't talk about black history an awful lot, you're failing, right.
Speaker 3: Not covering radical history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so like and so that was the kind of my attitude going into it. But I was I was thinking about how because you know, I asked you a while ago about today's topic, and I was thinking about Black History Month, where I was like, now they're trying to take it away, and now I'm like, well, never mind.
Speaker 3: Well now we got to crank that soldier boy. You know what I'm saying. Now it's different. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I didn't care until you tried to take it. Yeah. Now like oh okay, well now I'm never leaving.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And like you know, because I mean, you know, I was also afraid of like being corny by being like a white girl being like all right, I'm gonna make sure that February is this, and then I just sort of figure like again, like as long as I cover Black history, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's also like to your point as like, oh, white girl's doing the black history thing. Like the thing about our culture and I'm gonna say specifically like Black American culture is like we're very much alike once you give us a reason to once you're in your in like when we love you, we love you, you know, and it's just you're one of us, you're part of the squad. You have to go out of your way for us to be like all right, nah, you good, Like you have to you have to really be out of pocket for black community to stop like showing you grace, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So for somebody like.
Speaker 5: Yourself who's like continuously has shown proven that you part of part of the solution, you know what I mean? Saying same I say with like Robert and Sophie like they've you've proven it already, you know what I mean. So, like, you know, for you to slip up here and there forget this reference not knowing whatever, dog like nah, they you know, they solid, you know what I mean. So I feel like if you, like I would trust that you're reasoning to being like, we're gonna make this Black History Month is because of what you just said.
Speaker 3: Well, since y'all trying to take it, watch this, you know what I mean? Right?
Speaker 2: And I was planning on doing this, and then I was like, oh, I guess this is gonna be the first thing that's going to come out in February. And it still wasn't a like Black History Month thing. But then I was just looking at that Executive order and I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You can't take that away? What do you like?
Speaker 5: And no one's gonna like why do we get days off in Black History Month?
Speaker 3: Like what what did you go?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: How you go and force this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it doesn't it doesn't cost anything, like you dont all like you just get to I mean my problem with it. It had always been like, oh, it's like an easy way for people to feel better about the fact that eleven months are White History Month, you know, yeah, totally like but this topic, which you know what I'm going to talk about, but the audience still, well, no, that's not true. They know what it is.
Speaker 3: They read the title description the thing already.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's been a couple of topics that since I first pitched this show, I knew I wanted to talk about I want to talk about the Russian Civil War, I want to talk about the Spanish Civil War. And I wanted to talk about the Haitian Revolution. Yeah, because as soon as I started doing episodes about abolitionism in the US, I was like, oh, the Haitian Revolution scared the shit out of all of the racists.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, Oh, they was like, oh boy, we better Yeah, because it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It cast a shadow across the minds of slavers everywhere. It was perhaps the first glimpse of what the future held in store for them. One day, slavers everywhere would be strung up and killed. Yeah, and uh it scared the shit out of kings and presidents, and politics in the Western world would never be the same.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, one major effect of it is that we'll talk about the effects of it later at the end of this four parter, but all the slave empires like shored up their defenses and cracked down on enslaved people and abolitionists. Yeah and uh fay quite famously, the entire Western world is still out to destroy and punish shady and it's not forgotten.
Speaker 3: It to this day. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like I was like, you'll probably talk about it, but like we like they're still getting sanctions from that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. That the the destruction, the the economic punishment is just such a like it's even proof that they like, well, they don't care about like capitalism as a ideal of like yeah, once everyone's equal and we all have markets, it's like, no, it's a tool with which to punish people who they don't like. Yeah, I'm curious coming into it. Okay, okay, do you have like a what you know of the Haitian Revolution or like battle standout things or.
Speaker 3: Big yeah, big picture. I know the narrative. I know the high points, a few names here and there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a few like sparse points, like the word zombie you know comes from Haitian slaves, you know what I mean? The history of voodoo as resistance, which really really baked my noodle once. I like kind of it came out of just the old traditional Baptist Black people's story to be like, oh wait, this was resistance like kind.
Speaker 3: Of changes everything, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yeah, and just some of the like work to continually destable. So like a lot of high points, a few random facts, but I got to just at a narrative. But I'm excited for to go through this specifically.
Speaker 3: No, me too.
Speaker 2: And what's funny is I know because I haven't finished writing all four parts yet, So I know everything that leads up to the revolution right now, and then I know a lot of the middle stuff and the end stuff, but I don't know all of it yet because there's a big fucking topic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a strange I've talked about on one of our shows, just this sort of thing around just like the African diaspora around like the pride some of the Central American black people feel, Caribbean black people feel, and then African black people feel. That's different than like the black people of the United States in the sense that in a lot of ways, like they looked at us like you didn't throw off your yeah, your owners, so they kind of looked at us like, well, y'all a little weak, you know what I'm saying, Like we we got free, you know.
Speaker 3: So there's there's there has.
Speaker 5: Been sort of a historical kind of like little thing like inside of sort of those communities, and then when they come here us kind of being like, well, you kind of didn't go through what you went through.
Speaker 3: You speak patois, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's kind of French, you know, like you're not you're not black people like we black people, you know what I'm saying, which is foolish, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But but that became kind of a.
Speaker 5: Thing of just like American black people like y'all didn't throw off y'all captors.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you're not like us. You know, it's very subtle.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of that stuff's been worked out since, but that's always kind of been a thing.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I have this like defensiveness where I'm like, but y'all tried, like it's like very much at least as hard as anyone else. And there's a lot of dude, there's a lot of luck in the Haitian Revolution. Yeah, and like infinite amounts of sacrifice and work, don't get me wrong, totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, being much more mature now, it's like you can't.
Speaker 3: First of all, they are us.
Speaker 5: You just got off the bus, you know, you just bought up on a on a train stop earlier than us. It's you are us, So it's foolish to have divisions among us. Anyway, that division was given to us by our captors. So there's that, you know what I mean. And then secondly it's like, yeah, it's just they're two different worlds. It's two different times, it's two different things. Like you can't you can't really compare the two anyway.
Speaker 2: No, No, it makes sense. Yeah, I am guessing that if people have heard of one figure of the Haitian Revolution. It's too soon of a tour.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 2: He was this unlikely enough hero. We're not really going to supergendom this week. He's more of next week. He's unlikely hero because he's sort of may or may not have been a Catholic. People like to argue about it. He was born enslaved. Eventually he's going to be a freed overseer and potentially kind of a slaver himself, depending on which version of the history you read. And he is actually a really conservative figure, but he's not who we're going to start with. We'll talk more about him, but we're gonna talk about a bunch of other people that I find super interesting, and Vodu is going to be one of the main pieces of context that we're going to talk about today. Yeah, but first we're going to talk about Hispaniola, which is not what it should be called. It actually should be called Haiti in the Taino language. But there's an island called Hispaniola. It's the second largest island in the Caribbean after Cuba, and it's the most populous right now. It is divided into two countries. Haiti is the western third of the country. The Dominican Republic is the eastern two thirds. The Dominican Republic speaks Spanish primarily, Haiti speaks French and Creole. People have been living there for several thousand years. At least the Tano people lived there, and they had a bunch of different names for the island. One of them was Iedi, And then there's like we don't really know. There's like there's three people saying what the original indigenous name of this island is. They're all white people, and there's like so there's like three people saying it, and one of them like ID was just the western half, and one person was like AD was just the eastern half, and one person is like eighty was all of it. Yeah, but to save us the trouble, we're gonna call it aid the Land of High Mountains. There were thousands of people living there, tens of thousands or nearly a million, depending on your sources, living in five different kingdoms. And I always feel like it's like, I mean, one, it's alway worthking about indigenous people anywhere, But also you just have this like fucking Tara Nalis idea of like, uh huh, this place is empty or there's just like a couple people living there and they don't have a society, and like that's not fucking true.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, a million people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, five different fucking kingdoms.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, very long history, guys, Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 5: You're just like, well, they've existed as long as y'all have existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like what the hell you mean? A new world?
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, been here as long as you have Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what else has been here the whole time. Ads just waiting over our shoulder, waiting to show up and to try and convince you to gamble, which you probably shouldn't do.
Speaker 6: Yes, here's the ads, and we're.
Speaker 2: Back if you want to have fun gambling. I'm not mad at you. It's just on the long enough timeline. It's not a way to get rich.
Speaker 5: If you make it just a line item, Like, make it a line item in your we're budgeting, you got five hundred bucks that you're okay with spending, Just do that.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. My hands raised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little h hand icon has appeared in props windows or is it?
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, can I talk?
Speaker 1: I have no idea how to get rid of that, And so it just looks like you're going.
Speaker 5: Ex me and then my shining says, it looks like you're done talking. We'll lower your hand in three seconds.
Speaker 2: One, okay, it's gone. Now okay, so I could talk again. I had to wait a right, I at least.
Speaker 3: It didn't lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On December sixth, fourteen ninety two, a white slaver arrived on the shore of ied. He's a guy you might have heard of. His name was Christopher Columbus.
Speaker 3: Maybe you heard of.
Speaker 2: Him, Yeah, And Europeans just started pouring into the place that they called Insula Hispana and Latin because they were still speaking Latin and then which was Spanish Island shortened to Hispaniola. They were less concerned with naming the place and more concerned with exploiting it. They started enslaving people on basically day one. I think it was day six, I can't remember exactly, but it was like everyone was like really nice to them when they arrived, and then within a couple days they were like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Disease just wrecked the indigenous people. More than ninety percent of the population was dead within two decades of Columbus's arrival, and it. It's never quite acknowledged that when Europeans like quote unquote conquered North America, it was them conquering like a post apocalyptic wasteland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, yeah.
Speaker 2: They brought the apocalypse with them in the form of disease because.
Speaker 5: When they like to not derail this convo, but when they did go a head up against some of these Meso American empires, they got their ass kicked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I think all the time about I haven't totally wrapped my head around it. When I was a kid, I always assumed that Africa was like sort of colonized first, you know, because it's closer and europe knew it existed, right, And then you're actually like, oh no, it went internal European colonization like Ireland and shit. Yeah, then the America's then Africa in Africa, And part of that was that, like Europeans would get their fucking asses kicked.
Speaker 3: It was whooping a ass. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can see fights that were like spear versus gun, and the spears were sometimes pulling it off.
Speaker 3: You know, dude. Book recommendation.
Speaker 5: I'm reading this book called African History of Africa. Oh sick, all right, it's like Africans talking about Africa.
Speaker 3: It's super good.
Speaker 5: But they talked about one of the Ashanti tribes when hang my stupid hand again when Britain.
Speaker 3: Came, and they're like, yeah, yeah, the first the first.
Speaker 5: General they sent down there, like the Ashanti king like turned his skull into a cup, so it was like a like a ceremonial cup for like decades, like he just drank out of the drank out of the guy's skull.
Speaker 2: Like it was like, hey, whooped Joe ass Yeah, And so European show yeh fourteen ninety two and they're actually kind of bummed about the genocide. They sort of it accidentally did They wanted to do a genocide, but they wanted on their terms because their plan was they wanted a genocide via slavery. They wanted to enslave everyone on the island and then ship them over to Europe. But they couldn't enslave most of the people because they were dead because of.
Speaker 3: Disease, because they killed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course the Tano people weren't completely destroyed, and there's still Tano people today and they've had to like do the like proving like people are like no no, no, no, that you've all been destroyed. You're just making it up. And then they're like, fine, we'll do the genetics shit. And then they're like yeah, okay, yeah, I no, you're right. Sorry, yeah, I fucking told too.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah we don't. Yeah yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Don't actually have to tell us our history.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah we do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, with the potential source of slave labor dead, the Europeans were like, well, let's import Africans. And this very first step is like potentially mythologized, but there's no reason to doubt it. The very first enslaved Africans when they arrived in the New World, either fifteen oh two or fifteen oh three, I've read both. You had the very first Maroons. The book The Encyclopedia of African Religion suggests that a single black man escaped from the first slave ship to dock in the Americas. He disappeared into the jungle, and whether or not he lived or died himself, he blazed a trail that so many people followed afterwards. We have talked about Maroon communities on the show time and time again, because they're kind of the quintessential cool people who did cool stuff thing you know, yea, but for people who only got the same history education I did, and did not hear the word maroon until I was an adult. Maroon communities are communities of people escaping enslavement within a slave empire, like those run by Europeans in the Americas. Mostly these are self emancipated black people, whether they were born in Africa or whether whether they were born into slavery, but indigenous people were often vital to these communities. The first Maroons were likely people who just ran off and were accepted into indigenous societies, and they were also the occasional but it gets kind of played up by white people who like to have ourselves and we want our representation in every story, there were occasional poor white people escaping indentured servitude or other like debts who joined marion societies. Yeah, wherever you had slavery, you had maroon communities. One story that I want to tell eventually because I just only read the super quick version of it, and I want to do probably whole episodes about it. The first ever revolt against the colonizers in the New World that I found is the revolt of Enriquillo. He's a Tano chief and this revolt started in fifteen nineteen and lasted thirteen years. His father had been killed by I've run across this particular story so many times when I read about colonization that I almost am like, is this this literally the only thing that white people know how to do, which is that in order to conquer all the people, the fucking Spanish were like, all right, all the chiefs, come here, we'll talk it out, we'll sign some treaties. We'll have a little piece thing. Get them all in one building, lock the door and set it on fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh like, I think they did this in fucking Brave.
Speaker 3: Heart, Like totally did it in Braveheart.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's day one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so sometimes his name is Enrique, sometimes it's Enriquio, Enriqueo. His dad was one of the chiefs who died this way, okay, And then he was basically raised by this Catholic friar as a result, who was actually a hardcore abolitionist who wrote a history book called A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies about how bad the white people were there. And he's white himself. Yeah, this isn't to say that the Catholics were on the side of the oppressed. This is the opposite of the truth.
Speaker 3: This is one guy saying, are y'all crazy?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And he's kind of important to hold up, not so that you can say, like, not all Catholic friars, but instead that you can be like, we kind of can't let historical people off the hook, because there were people who because he showed up as a colonizer. He showed up like I want a place to go live. I'm gonna go live on Hispaniola. And then within like a couple of years he's like, wait, what the hell are we doing here? You know? Yeah, And so this is the mentor of the kid of the Chief who was murdered, and so Enriquio led this Tano revolt, fought the Spanish to a standstill despite living and basically an apocalypse. This is after the ninety percent destruction, right wow, and forced new treaties to be signed. But I think that the reason that one day I'll do a whole two parter. But like, I think the reason the treaties fell apart is that just like every all the time of people just kept dying, Like.
Speaker 5: I just the really living color of I don't know if I can. I can't wrap my mind around ninety percent. Yeah, that's that's everyone you know is dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what that is.
Speaker 5: That's everyone you know and everyone who's alive, everyone they know is dead. Like just I don't I don't know if Yeah, I just don't that reality. And then the color of like I really wish we could just go back into history and just drop people in very easy boxes and say, well they felt like this, they felt like this, they felt like this, but and just it's as messy as it is now, like us in our you know, extreme left anarchists still somewhere in your house have a single use plastic, you know, and like just the complication of that. I enjoy that part of history of you know, hearing this dude, that's like, well, you're you're still a you're still a co You're still here in a land that you shouldn't be in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, and he he wrote a book, he wrote a bunch of stuff being like he actually he did not come off great. He did not start great. He was like, oh, we're treating the indigenous people bad. We should stop enslaving them and instead import Africans was the first thing he wrote, and then really quickly he was like, wait, no, never mind.
Speaker 3: Bah, God, forget that one. Let's try it out.
Speaker 2: But he definitely went to his grave believing that it is a very good and useful thing for Catholics to go all over the New World and convert everyone to Catholicism and like wanted like better kinder colonization.
Speaker 3: Even though he.
Speaker 2: Helped inspire one of the main anti the first anti colonial revolt. Yeah so complicated, yea, yeah, which is more anti colonial revolting than I've done. I've gone to some protests, I've.
Speaker 3: They were yeah yeah, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as far as I can tell, Maroon Africans joined that revolt the first time I ran across it. Literally it was represented as a Maroon revolt, but I think that that's an exaggeration, but I don't know. But it also showed Enslave people that there was a way to fight colonization. You can go to the mountains and then use guerrilla warfare to kill Europeans and it is an effective strategy. Yeah, and it will continue to be ineffective probably into the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, Maroon communities were slowly wiped out on the smaller islands of the Indies because white settlers cleared and burned the wilderness basically, so by the seventeen hundreds they were mostly gone from everywhere except these larger islands. Some of these Maroon communities were absolutely huge. You and I talked years ago on this show about the Maroon community in Brazil Coulombo di Plomars, which was an independent nation in the seventeenth century with thirty thousand people. I think you can listen to Chico Mendes episodes for that.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, yeah, when it's in is chicodes Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Before the Haitian Revolution, the real standout Maroon warriors were in Jamaica. As the Encyclopedia of African Religion put it, quote, it is the Jamaicans, however, who hold the distinction of waging the most slave rebellions in the West per capita.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one day I'm just like, this is almost like my list of notes of things that I'm going to come back to. If you heard a Queen Nannie, I hadn't. Yes, Queen Nannie is fucking cool. She united all the Maroons in Jamaica. She was born and what's now Ghana. Yeah, she practiced Obeah, which is a syncretic African diaspec religion. Fucking for fifteen years, united all the Maroons into a war against the British, which was the world's greatest military power and who outnumbered them even on the island greatly. Yeah, and like forced them to their knees multiple times.
Speaker 5: Dude, her like her, she's in that book. I was telling about her origin story even before she did that, Like she was always about that life. Yeah, like just not a game about that life.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And as a note for like I don't I might be talking out my neck as far as like drawing this connection, but like no, like Mexico's kind of like known for the like machismo, like the way that like the men kind of like a really macho thing. Like it's it's really the same in Jamaica, Like the Jamaican concept of manhood is like very much you need to have a million kids, and also like you just can't. You don't take shit, like you know what I'm saying, And like some of it is back to being like we will not we will not comply, like that is like in there even just like I said, just the construction of what it means to be a Jamaican man.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, we don't comply, you know what.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, So I don't like I said, I might be talking out of my neck, but like that's another one of those things. It's just I feel like has gone through their sort of like sense of self is like nah, bro, yeah we revolt.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, it makes sense, and it's some of that energy is what's gonna is how Haiti's gonna end up free?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so the Maroons are fucking cool. On the Island of a eighty. The Spanish were sort of ignoring the western coast of the island for a while. French pirates started hanging out there. We did a whole pirate's episode talking about how they were not as cool as people think, but also more cool than sometimes people think. They're more interesting in different ways than people might expect. Eventually, in sixteen ninety seven, after some wars and shit in Europe, Spain formally seeded the western part of the island of the French. This new colony was called San Dumong, which is French. So it doesn't look like Sandumong, it looks like Saints don't I don't know whatever.
Speaker 3: All kind of letters that shouldn't be in network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of vowels in the city and the French. The reason there weren't a ton of enslaved people over there wasn't because the Spanish were nice, but because the Spanish weren't really hanging out there, and the pirates were slavers, but not on the same kind of scale because they didn't have a plantation economy. M the French over so so many enslaved African people as fast as they possibly fucking could. In the short term, this worked out really well for the French. All of the people who came over, they're like life expectancy was like two or three years. It was like fifty percent of them die within a year.
Speaker 3: Sheesh.
Speaker 2: And then it's like, it's kind of interesting because I want to know more about this. Obviously I've read about in various books, but I feel like I'd have to like get a degree in exactly this to totally understand it. It's kind of interesting to me because like, economically, in the US South, enslave people were so expensive, yeah, but here life was cheap, so it was cheaper and easier to work people to death and just replace them.
Speaker 3: Wow, I never thought about that.
Speaker 2: It seems like the conditions were even worse than elsewhere in the America's. But I have a feeling that, like, if I read a book about Haitian slavery, it's going to be the worst possible. And then if I read a book but Jamaica slavery's be because it's just awful. Everywhere slavery is one of the most things that's ever happened in the history of humanity. Is chattel slavery, Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would vote, if you're right, I would vote Haiti, though the conditions I wouldn't vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would vote. I mean, if you're going to have to vote for something.
Speaker 2: As awful, we're going to do a little pole.
Speaker 3: Yeah who had it worse?
Speaker 2: Yeah what? Yeah the slavery oppression Olympics.
Speaker 3: But it it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it is fucking awful. It's also like the scale of bad. I actually think it is kind of important for people to understand because, like any ethical position says slavery wrong, right, yes, But when you have that oversimplified moral position, you can then start blaming like the Africans themselves who do enslaving and like how like not every but like a real large number of cultures all over the world had slavery, right yeah, and so then you're like, well it's all equally bad and you're like, well, racialized chattel slavery, bringing people from a different continent was worse.
Speaker 5: Like there's just another way around it. Like you know, you owe somebody money, you work until it's gone. Okay, that's one thing. It is a horrible condition. Serfdom is a type of slavery, that's but it's something totally different. But yeah, the idea that you are subhuman, Yeah right, we're not the same species.
Speaker 3: I am a superior race.
Speaker 5: And when you talk specifically, like you said about Haiti, like I again, it's like, remove all hyperbole or slang from this sentence. They worked them to death, yeah, like they they dropped dead.
Speaker 3: They worked them to death, like I.
Speaker 5: Just I don't know how else this yeah literal, not like literally no, like yeah literally like they worked.
Speaker 2: Half of them died in the air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that's why I say.
Speaker 5: That's why I say Haiti was different because like to your point, it was like they were so fungible, you know, in Haiti, in America.
Speaker 3: It costs so much. Yeah, so it's like, we don't want your.
Speaker 5: Slave to die like you just you just wasted three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, it costs as much as your house.
Speaker 5: If you've got as much as your house, this guy dies, you know. So they're like paper plates. They're paper plates. You just yeah, yeah, it's bonkers.
Speaker 2: It was cheaper to just bring more and more people over than try to keep them alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, just go get more.
Speaker 2: But it worked out well in the short term to treat them like paper plates. But it turns out people aren't machines. People have opinions, they have desires, They are smart as shit, and they are as fiery as shit. And uh, it didn't work out well for the French in the long term. And one of the things that enslaved people brought over, something that more or less destroyed the French government's control on their most profitable colony was African religion. So most of the people who are stolen or brought to sand among came from the southern coast to West Africa, especially what's now been in and western parts of Nigeria, especially kind of originally later it's going to be more people from what's now the Republic of Congo and was the Kingdom of Congo at the time. Sort of all the all the lines have been redrawn by colonizers, but like you know, yeah, in particular in the beginning, it was fond people and Aa people, so just for people who are bad at geography, the southern part of the western part of Africa, that coast, and then also Central Africa like kind of right around the corner from it is where most of the folks who ended up there came from. And the places that these people are from influences a bunch about later history, and that's kind of another part of the Like I'm gonna go on a limb and say, it's probably harder for you to discover your family heritage than it is for me.
Speaker 3: That's a good guess. Get out, it's a good guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But there's still kind of this like a rature of like I don't know, they're just from Africa, as if there's not like different people there with different beliefs and different cultures and different languages who brought things with them, you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah, and they and like here's what's crazy is like I even fell victim to some of this, I'm like, they don't even look alike. Like you put a you put an Ethiopian next to somebody from Beneen, and you're like, wait, are y'all the same? Like no, they look very different because the distance between Ethiopia and Benin is a continent, you know, And yeah, yeah, and the practices are different, and like the even what you like, which will probably get into later, and obviously for me this is like really friend of mine because I'm like again reading this book, but like even what they mean by religion, yeah, you're like the Europeans were like, well, they worshiped their ancestors, because that's there. There's no word for God or worship and a lot of these tribes, you know what I'm saying. And it's because well they were looking at it from the lens that they did, from these monotheistic lenses, whereas you go to East Africa, which has been monotheistic for a while, you know what I'm saying. So like what made sense if you was already trading with Sudan and stuff like that, They're like, oh, okay, so y'all are a little different. Axoms like first Christian City in like the year one hundred, you know what I'm saying. But by the time you could, but that didn't make it west so west. It was like, we just don't we don't know what you mean by that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, And the synchronization got more and more, even more. Yeah, and it was so it was so blurry. And so I love synchrotization. It's one of my favorite things in the world because it's so messy and complicated and like, yeah, you can't really draw moral lines around.
Speaker 3: That to untangle it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting is then a lot of early Pan Africanism, you know, the idea that like, well more complicated I'm gonna easily say, but like, you know, the idea that Africa should unite with itself to defend itself against yeah, its own destruction. A lot of the like getting over cultural differences happened from the diaspora because people are like, well, we all spoke different languages than used to be at war with each other back home, but we just got stolen, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we're just on a boat. Yeah, and like and now we're here and now this is my family. Yeah, and it's like and yeah, and it just it did it. Definitely. That's a great point, Margat.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you brought that up, because that does fold back to that Pan Africanism to where it was, like they're even talking about it now with like you know, obviously with the with the land grab of Africa and that the borders are made up and yeah, you slice right through a village, so a lot of the indigenous and like native sort of ethnic differences are like separated by a country.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So like but now it's like, okay, here's where we are. So you're like, I'm Ghanaian and Ashanti, yeah, but I'm African.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and what I am is stuck pivoting to ads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, you are here, they are.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 3: And so Vodu is the main religion we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be talking about this week and next week. And one of the main places it's syncretized with is Catholicism. Right. It is a combination of a bunch of different mostly West African religions with some stuff more from Congo and then Catholicism and then also some Islam and some hindu is. It does lots of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had gone into it, assuming that the Catholicism was like, well, they ended up in you know, Spain and then France Island, and so they're befo. They had to convert to Catholicism, and there was a forced conversion of Catholicism that's going to happen later in this story. But actually the synchronization with Catholicism started in Africa in the Kingdom of Congo, h in the year fourteen ninety one, the year before Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue on his death ship. The king of Congo, king and Zinga and Nakwum, converted to Catholicism, presumably to get closer ties to the Portuguese and get better access to trade and firearms. It depends on what source you read. Unfortunately, a lot of the sources about the Catholicization of Western Africa are in Central Africa, are like Catholic propaganda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't know, but he didn't.
Speaker 2: Last too long as a Catholic because Catholicism was like, well you can only have one wife.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 5: I know missionaries now who like have gone to like South Africa, they'd be like, wow, we do these outreaches out there and they go, well, your Bible Moses had a lot of wise.
Speaker 3: Why can't I have a lot of whites.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of Christians. You think you can have a lot of wives. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then they would say this, okay, like this, listen, Margaret, if I'm lying on flying this is a true story. I was doing this show us South Africa and his brother was telling me about he was out there trying to.
Speaker 3: Preach the gospel to the to the to the natives out there.
Speaker 5: And they said, okay, well, let me ask you this, Like you said, you say, I can only have one wife, all right, So which one of these should have divorced? Because you told me that divorce was wrong too, So is it what about the first one? Well, the first one ain't got kids. Well that one got chillen. Well this one got two children, So which one? Which one is my wife?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just supposed to abandon the rest of them. I was like, did you answer me? He was like, I didn't have an answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like I can't put a moral like you know, there's a lot of different ways societies have been built. There are societies where men can have multiple wives or societies where women can have multiple husbands there. I mean, I live in a very polyamorous society, so like, yeah, we can only marry one of because of the law, but like whatever, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the queen that you mentioned earlier, Yeah, she they come from a matriarchal society. The women have multiple you know what I'm saying, Like, so they're even different.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and then the King of Congo, part of his whole I want to have multiple wives thing was actually because of how women had power in his society. Yes, it was maturallineal. Yeah, and it was also an elective monarchy. So once again like we have this like oh, Europe is clearly more advanced about Like look, monarchy is like not my favorite way of its structuring society, but it's an elective monarchy instead of a like you know, ye the oldest son is immediately in charge society.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mom chooses, Mom goes that kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And so it was since his eldest son wasn't guaranteed, it was like something where he was like, look, I can't I need to have my multiple wives because I have multiple sons for multiple wives and it's natural lineal society and like, yeah, and he wasn't as fully in charge, so he converted back to I think it was more of an animist faith.
Speaker 3: But I like again like a rishi, but that was more aeshi was a little further north. But anyway, on.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean you know, I actually I actually tried to find the name of what his traditional practice was, and I checked multiple sources and none of them said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I might be wrong because like orishi is more like Ghanaian benig.
Speaker 3: That's not necessarily Congo.
Speaker 5: So a lot of the Africans that made it to America were like that was that was some of the practices.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Okay, so he dies, he converts back to quote unquote paganism. He dies, and two of his sons have a war. One was an animist and one was a Catholic. The Catholic son won and he was the one that the mom picked and he became King Afonso the first And if you read Catholic Education dot orgs article about this, he was an anti slavery crusader who just wasn't able to stop the slave trade, which combined traditional West African slavery traditions, which is just this part's true. If you capture people in battle, you can.
Speaker 3: Own that or whatever, right oldest time.
Speaker 2: I combined that with the more raw, exploitive chattel slavery that the Porte wanted to impose. The idea that he fought slavery is there is the tiniest bit of truth. It is a lie. It is absolutely a lie. Afonso centralized power, He conquered neighboring territories, and he sold all the prisoners of war into slavery for export. Under his reign, Congo became a Catholic country and an important center for the Transatlantic slave trade. He built roads into the interior to better allow people to go capture people to go sell. He did fight against slavery in that the Portuguese were like, all you black people are the same, We're going to capture Congo people too, And he was like, no, no, no, no, you can't capture.
Speaker 3: Us and capture us. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You hear all the time from like very bad faith arguments, yeah about this era in time, you know, and the coloring of the idea that like, well, well, since we're humans like everybody else, and we all come from tribal struggles, you're like you're thinking that they're thinking about it the way we think about it, you know. So like when I say I'm I'm warring with this neighborhood tribe, it's like, oh, bro, like I could defeat this tribe and make a little money off it.
Speaker 3: And then you know what I'm saying, like.
Speaker 5: Okay, word, so like you said earlier, it's like we're all using the same word slavery.
Speaker 3: But man, I don't know, you.
Speaker 5: Think I'm subhuman and you're gonna take me across the you know what I'm saying, like it worked me to do. I don't know, I'm thinking like I'm just making money for the country, like you know, and then you're gonna set them free the way that we set slaves free after we're done with them, Like you don't own them, Like what are you I'm saying, like, yeah, ain't know they if your children, Like that's uniquely chattow slavery, that your children of slaves are slaves, Like that's not I ain't know you meant that. I thought you was just gonna help me with the kingo you know. Yeah, yeah, no, totally. That's such a good way to put it, is that. Yeah, like people are using the same word and they're describing two very different things. And then yeah, you hear people like because you have to if you talk about transatlantic slave trade, you have to talk about the fact that like Africans participated in it, right, But you can't do it to then be like so it's all samey saby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like therefore it's okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, the Portuguese showed up and we're like, we're going to turn this into a machine of stealing people. Yeah, you know, so important our stories that the Catholicization of African religion had already begun even before people were sold to Haiti. All of these African people are suddenly in sand among and they're being worked to death in sugar fields. A lot of them don't speak the same language, a lot of them don't see themselves as part of the same culture at all. Slowly they start building a culture that united them. And as best as I can tell, the thing that united them was the syncretic religion that they built in this new world, the religion of Vodu. And you probably you said you've deep dived this stuff before. Speaking of word words that people use all kinds of different ways, to mean different things. There is a lot of confusion around the name of this religion. It does not have the sharpest of boundaries. Vodu, Voodoo, Voodon, and who Doo are four separate things that are not always seen as separate things, including sometimes by practitioners. Yeah, as best as I am able to figure out by cross reverence in a million sources and talking to one of my friends and knows a little bit more about this than I do. Vodu, the main subject of this episode is a religion that originated in sand among in Haiti that combine the religious and spiritual practices of a bunch of people there. Voudon is the name used to describe the religion practice in Western Africa. Voodoo is the Louisiana version. Whodoo is a closely related kind of folk religion that is a bit less formalized and sometimes is just a word for the ritual practices rather than the religion in general, and its spread further throughout the Southern US. Each of these draws from different amounts of different regions of Africa and syncretize slightly differently. For example, also with Islam, which is also heavily syncretized with African religions by that point too, because Islam was also very present in Africa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I often think of it as like the way you it's I think of it like gumbo, like the way you would describe gumbo to where it's like what's what is it? And you're like, yeah, well it's I mean, do you have a you can't? Is there a gumbo recipe? Like you know, he's like, I don't know, it's jumbalaya, it's you know what I mean, Like there's so and especially with i Jab, have always felt like that's because my lord, I'm married a first gen Mexican. Like there's Santa Ria, which is like I was like, this sound like voodoo to me.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So uh and it's slightly different, but it's coming from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, slightly different, you know.
Speaker 5: So I always it's like the edges of it, that's what we were saying earlier.
Speaker 3: It's like I know you, I know.
Speaker 5: You're saying religion because that's the lens you have. But it's like it's it's not the like the way you mean it not you mark, No, Yeah, like yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's why you that's why we can't.
Speaker 5: Like, like you said, it's like you can read a trillion books, and I'm like, just like ask seventeen grandma's Yeah, how to make gumbo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to get your rule right.
Speaker 5: And you know, you boil up your shrimp and you know what I'm saying. It's like, okay, so it's a shrimp soup. Well, no, it's perhaps sausage. Do I gotta have seafood?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I don't have to seafood. Well then okay, so it's just can you be vegetarian? Well I guess, I guess it's still gumbo, and mean, well, what makes it gumbo? It's gumbo because it's gumbo. Like I don't, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you for anyone who doesn't listen to hood politics with Prop, you need to listen to it because Prop is the master of explaining things in exactly this way. That is, that is the way to describe it, that is, yeah, you know it when you see it. Yeah, so'st We're gonna focus on Haitian voting because it is the religion. And yeah, when we say like the religion, most of these people will call themselves Catholic and go to Catholic mass, absolutely, and like you could, you could be more than one thing here.
Speaker 5: You know, I say, if I say my actual relation to this person, it'll be very obvious just the case this person listens to or people that know these people listen to this. But I was very close to a Haitian family for a while whose elders were deeply stooped and you know, and very to the points of where like this person's parents were. Our dad was like, you are not allowed to be around them.
Speaker 2: Like like oh shit, okay, yeah, I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But if you talk to them, they were like.
Speaker 2: Or Catholic, we're Christians.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Like we're Christians, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No. And as I read about it now, there's like arguments going on in Haiti between evangelicals and practitioners voodoo or voodoo and Catholics literally about the origins of Haiti as a nation. Because it's going to come down to spoiler for probably part three, it's gonna come down to it's gonna get kicked off by a Vodou ceremony in the woods. And so the evangelical position is that was a deal with the devil, right yeah, and then the like well yeah, yeah, we're like, what are you talking about? We just we did a thing, like we do the thing and it's fine, you know, yeah, But to talk about w voodoo is all these enslaved people are showing up. Soon enough, the King of France demands they all convert to Catholicism. And the most Catholic thing you can do of all is to say, sure, I guess I'm Catholic whatever, without actually changing what you believe in already, and then call it Catholicism. My argument for this, my grandfather was like born and raised an atheist, but in order to marry my grandmother, he had to get baptized Catholic. So he just crossed his fingers and got baptized Catholic.
Speaker 3: Doesn't count because he crossed his fingers, But it's cool.
Speaker 2: And I would argue that makes him the most Catholic person in the family.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 5: I had another friend who really got involved in like just in his own sort of journey and reclaiming his africanness and stuff like that, like really got involved in a lot of like West African animists, like traditions. His argument was like, I don't understand how this is any different than he's like, have you you read Leviticus? Like like you you know, you chopping up birds and splitting them in half, and the priest walked through them, y'all. Whole y'all religion is based on penal substitutionary atonement that God became a human and died and the blood of your savior, Like, I don't have that any weirder than what we do it, like, you know, So that's why he was, like, I mean, probably why they ain't see no problems. He didn't understand why y'all didn't understand why what we was doing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I literally bring up Leviticus in the script because of that exact thing.
Speaker 5: And then people go, no, no, no, the Leviticus was that was the old it was there was an ancient practice, and it was the symbol of what's coming. It was like, oh so it was, it was the symbol. It's what it symbolizes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, can anyone else do that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: No, only us, Only only we can do to symbol Yeah. Yeah, ye know.
Speaker 2: The belief structures of Vodu and Catholicism are fairly compatible and Vodu. There's a single monotheistic creator, God Bandier, and he is too distant to be interacted with directly, and he doesn't interfere with human affairs, so you have to go through the spirits, the laah. These are referred to in all kinds of different ways, saints, spirits, the invisible ones, the mysteries, angels, geniuses. Yep, and there's a ton of these laa. They're all doing their own thing. They all have their own personalities and colors and days of the week and favorite gifts and shit. And again, raised Catholic, my family cares so much more about Guardian angels and cares more about saints than it does about God. Yeah, you know, yeah, the la wah can be nature spirits, some are ants. We're gonna talk about a woman who became a la who's one of the people kicked off the Haitian Revolution. They're divided up into different non shan or nations. These are different pantheons. Basically, there's seventeen of them or twenty one of them. More like, it just depends on who you talk to, who you ask.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no central there's no like pope of voting. Yeah, and it's kind of part of the deal that no one can like name all of them. These map a little bit to different African nations sort of as a way for everyone to bring the spirits they care about into the religion while still like maintaining like Pan Africanism isn't the destruction of the national identity, the ethnic identity, the same way that internationalism is not the destruction of ethnicity. It is the all of us coming together of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not a creama mushroom soup here. It's like, you know, you're not just like it's a gumbo dowsting it with mayonnaise. Yeah, it's yeah, it's gumbo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so they all can bring their own Lua to this thing. There's two main nations or three depending on who you ask, the gooday or the ancestor spirits the spirits of the dead, but they're not what we're going to be talking about today. The two main nations are the Rata and the Petro. The Rata are the nation of Lua that come more from West Africa, specifically from the Vudan tradition, and these are like more serene they're more like water. Right. Then there's the Petro. The Petro are the mean ones. They are the ones who know how to get shit done and do not ask nicely. They are the fiery Lua. And I find this really fascinating. They come more from Haiti itself and also from Congo, and as I was saying earlier, the folks from Congo who were stolen and taken, there are the later arrivals. And so it's more like this makes sense to me that the Luah of Africa or over all, the ones who are like, oh, we're like chill, are doing our thing, Everything's all right, yeah, you know, and then the people who are like, oh, I'm on Death Island where I've been brought to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nah, fam, I need to mean angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Like you're basically in the move I've never seen the movie Saw. I can't handle it, but you're basically in the movie Saw. If you are an enslave person.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, it's all bad.
Speaker 2: Like you're gonna have some mean fucking guardian spirits. Yes, you will be shocked to know that it was by calling in the Petro Lawa, the fiery ones, that they set Haiti free and humans serve the Lawah, that's the word that usually gets used. But this isn't like a servant and a master. This isn't an enslavement relationship. It is a reciprocal arrangement. People offer gifts and sacrifices to the laaw and expect to be taken care of in return, and they will not leave you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are two practices in vodou that in particular are branded as like devil warship by the evangelical assholes. And it's like the whole reason that like it gets used as there's a lot of blackxpoy taste that goes on when you talk about voodoo.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, you know, yes.
Speaker 2: But like two of the things that people talk about is they talk about the sacrifice of animals and the possession of people. I promise you would bring up. I promise you i'd make the same point you've already made, so I'm gonna make it. Yeah, animals are sometimes sacrificed in vodoo. That is to say, animals are prayed over, anointed, and then humanely slaughtered before being cooked and served of the entire community.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is not particularly different from kosher or her law practices, and it is still better than like factory farming, and like the way that most people eat meat, and.
Speaker 5: Like it is farm to table. Yeah, with the spirit of thankfulness. Yep, you know, yeah, I would even push the evangelicals. Now I'm about to get evangelical on you.
Speaker 2: No, no, fair enough, fair enough, I might be throwing I might be using that too loosely.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, no, no, I'm good.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying I'm agreeing with you in the sense that, like I wonder which of your listeners, any of the exvangelicals who are still a part of this, like okay, go back to your go back to your uh your your summer camp Lessons of Romans of the Book of Romans and Paul talking about meat sacrifice to idols and that where are you or are you not supposed to eat this meat? And what Paul said the writer of Romans was like, shoot, I eat it, like it's fine. Like he's like, they're not. He's basically what he says is like, well they're not. Really, God's right, Like you know what I'm saying, Like, and he's like it's just it's fine. Yeah, Like it's like kind of is auDA. He's like, look, if it's if it's a problem for you, yeah, fine, but I'll be eating it.
Speaker 2: Joseph, No, it's kind of like aw For for like a thousand years, the Catholic Church didn't bother like burning witches because witchcraft wasn't real. They were like, yeah, yeah, yeah, that person says they're a witch, but it doesn't matter. That's not real thing we believe in science or you know. And it was only later that they were like, oh, we gotta burn everyone.
Speaker 6: Uh but yeah.
Speaker 2: In Leviticus from the Old Testament, it says basically the same thing. You sacrifice an animal and then it is eaten by everyone in the community. Yeah, people eat animals. I don't, Almost everyone I know does. It's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: As for possession, that's a mistranslation. The more direct translation of what happens is ritual mounting. You are like a horse who is mounted and ridden by a lawa you channel the spirit. So many faiths have versions of this. It also doesn't seem particularly ethically different from like speaking in tongues or whatever. Yeah, ecstatic states are part of religion. They're part of why people like religion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you're supposed to be, but that's an evil spirit. You supposed to only had a holy spirit, only supposed to be possession with the Holy One.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, only the one that I like, you know, there's no there's no devil in Vodu like.
Speaker 5: Which is like if if you're gonna move the camera out and look at this as as aliens, I would be like, oh, well I want that one. That one ain't got a debt, Like why would I want Why would I want to be one brought it a debt?
Speaker 3: I want a devil. I want to go with them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. They're like, oh, people just do different things and like I'll just be doing stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the fact that Haiti had the most successful slaver vault in the America's was not something people would have seen coming. It was, in some ways a quieter place than other places. Jamaica had a ton of Maroon wars. For example, when the French king passed La Code Noir the Black Code in sixteen eighty five, it demanded that the enslaved people get converted to Catholicism. It also to be clear, this is one of the most evil documents in the world. It's just a very clear like laying out like here's how we're going to do slavery, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 2: It was way too nice for the actual slavers. The slavers themselves wouldn't go along with it. It said that while these people were property, they're also still kind of people.
Speaker 3: They're still image bears. Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, yeah, you're still but anyway, go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they could not be forced to work on Sundays or religious holidays. They had to be clothed and fed and cared for. You can't like extra abuse them. And there's even a specific way that they can seek redress of grievances through the court system. To be clear, it also prohibited slaves from owning property or having any legal existence besides those like specific redresses. There's a vile document. It is far too nice for the French slavers. Yeah, the king is far away and the slavers in the colony had no interest in obeying the Black codes, so they didn't. They forced them to become Catholics. But over one hundred years, only five court cases were successfully I think filed against slavers by slaves, Like, I don't even think they won. I could have been reading the source wrong. I think only five were filed.
Speaker 5: If you listen, Oh okay, if like, let me put myself into a slave shoes to be like really, homie, you like you think the court's gonna help you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly the word yeah.
Speaker 5: Whoa, I'm gonna tell the police all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This had a strange knock on effect. The fact that the courts were like supposed to do this thing but didn't want to in erased Sandemong's history. We don't have a ton of documents because a lot of the like early modern documents, we have our court documents, right, Like a lot of the like testimonies of people in court are like some of the only records we have, Like like why we know anything about Joan of Arc right, yeah, is because of the extensive trials. Word okay, Sandomong doesn't have that. The colonial courts basically didn't keep records since it any like, anytime a black person was captured, like recaptured and then taken to court, he might say things like, well, that white guy beat the shit out of me all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the white.
Speaker 2: Guy wasn't supposed to beat the shit out of him, so why write it?
Speaker 3: Down, you can't have a record.
Speaker 2: The courts kept very poor records, often purging quote old criminal trials of blacks and other useless items.
Speaker 3: There is nothing new, yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then in seventeen thirty four all the court records were destroyed by a fire anyway, and then like fifty years later a bunch more were lost during a paperwork shuffle, like two courts merged and then ah, whoops, we lost them all.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure there was a surveillance camera well appreciated this footage of this cop beating this person it dead. Yeah, I don't know what happened to it, Like I don't know the camera blinked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's nothing nothing new.
Speaker 2: I remember watching this video recently about like it's a lawyer talking about like, are the cops allowed to destroy your personal like ring camera when they come to your house? And the answer is no, right, Like, of course not. There's like basically no condition in which they're allowed to cover up or destroy your camera, even if they're like serving a legal warn or whatever. But it's like one of the things you're like watching that and they're like, yeah, they're not allowed to. Well, they also have guns. In the court, Like, what am I gonna do with that?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, no, they're you're you're right, they're not allowed to destroy our cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess they won't.
Speaker 3: I guess I guess that'll stop them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, in send among Soon enough, rebellion is gonna start. And maybe it started, or at least people think it started, or they used to think it started with a bold new plot, a plot to poison every single white person on the island. And they even got pretty far along with that plot. But as for how it went down, you're gonna have to wait for our first named hero of the series on Wednesday in part two.
Speaker 3: You don't get to know who the poisoner in chief is.
Speaker 2: I know, unless you turn to Google and you can look.
Speaker 3: At all this up yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the secret of all podcasting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like, I mean, it's all we just looked it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all my sources are in the show notes.
Speaker 1: He really took the allure out of the cliffhanger.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean no, there's no way to know. Well, actually there is something that I'll tell you this also before for as a Cliffhanger. I wrote the entire script thinking the story went a certain way, and then two hours before we had to hit record, I found another more recent source that disagreed with like the ten other accounts that I had read.
Speaker 5: Of it that keep happening to you man, happening to me, oh, Margaret, my favorite of my favorite was the Buena Chao yeh you know and you that happened to you on now.
Speaker 3: He was like, actually I was done and then I wasn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have luck when it comes. She's like, all right, I've done my job. I did not do it.
Speaker 6: I did not I do not know.
Speaker 2: Because I always want to know more than the like there's always the pop version of the history that's a little too clean, you know.
Speaker 5: And now you know your antennas are like your antennas are super sharp.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So she'd be like, wait a minute, yeah, do this feel this? This this resolves too easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But as for how it all went down, well, two of you are only have to wait about five minutes, but everyone else is gonna have to wait till Wednesday. Yuh ha ha ha, Propa, you got anything you.
Speaker 6: Want to plug?
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, we're cooking over at the Politics with prop You know, I'm on the same glorious network and we've added the video element because you know, you have to upgraded my camera, as you guys can see. Yeah, so there's that if you're in the LA area. Got some gigs come in the Sunset Rooftop me and artist named saw Rock. She's one of the dopest rappers on Earth. So yeah, Sunset Rooftop twenty second of February. And yeah, and just following along with us on the show Man like I'm having a great time over here.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah. My sister didn't ask for a lot of things for Christmas, but she asked for a terraform book by Problem, So people should check it out.
Speaker 3: Please please check out the book.
Speaker 6: That's so sweet.
Speaker 3: That is precious. I would have signed it.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, well I'll probably hit you up for that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cool, all.
Speaker 2: Right, see everyone onnestime.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. More podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.