Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have. Oh what a beautiful morning here in Oxnard, California. Here with the Cowboys in training camp for another week and a half, and it's time for mix shots on this gorgeous Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I can't emphasize that enough. Nate Newton, Savannah Humoler, Mickey Spagnola with you on mixshots here for the next forty five, maybe fifty minutes as we get started with our zamboni at the other end of the practice field. But by God, he's out here cleaning up the field, because not only is it a beautiful day, it's gonna be a fun day the Cowboys and the Rams practicing again. They're having another scrimmage here later this morning, and that'll be fun to watch. But we've got a whole lot to talk about, especially after the walkthrough yesterday and some injury reports, and now I got to use my outdoor voice to make sure that the zamboni doesn't drownd us out. Looks like they're cleaning up the field, there was a little morning dew, right, not only blowing leaves. But we'll get to that in a minute. So, Nate Newton Savannah, I thought we would start here. And I think it's funny how when they in the Dallas Morning News, it's like they interview somebody and it's told the Dallas Morning News.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I got one, told Mickey Spagnola, all right, the injury to Tuma Edoga is a dislocated big left toe, and it is. It doesn't sound like something, but you need if you do anything, Nate, right, you need your big toes. That's where all your push off is. You can't have as big toe exactly. So here's the deal. Not only is it dislocated, but I was told that it could be six weeks to three months before he would be ready to play football again. And what they've got to decide is do they keep him on the fifty three man roster and for one day and then put him on IR return but they said he probably wouldn't be ready to return till a round Thanksgiving, or do they just say, you know what, we gotta put him on I R. And it's a wash. Uh, he doesn't play this year at all. But in any case, knowing that that he could be out that long, they need a backup swing tackle, and that's where a Doga was fitting in. It's not like, oh, well they got to start the rookie Tyler Geiton at left tackle. That was gonna happen anyway, right, he was going to beat a Doga out for that starting position. It was just a matter of when. But now who's your backup swing tackle? Awesome Riches, and that's who they're gonna work first now. Yeah, and the thing talked about, yeah, is a Doga really was the only experienced backup they have. Richards didn't play all that much last year training camp, right, Yeah, And so I think Nate and I are in agreement. We like what we've seen from him at tackle, but he hasn't done it. And what happens if he has to go in and play sixty snaps at three games in a row, if there's an injury there. So I think you can say, well, they're going to look out the wire. But at this point, as we know, there isn't that many good offensive lineman available at this point, and even when we get to the cuts, I believe it's August twenty seventh, they cut to fifty three teams. Just don't get rid of offensive lineman if they have anything. There's not enough offensive lineman to play in this league. So the Cowboys need to be in a hurry, not only to develop Tyler Geiton, who will play practice today in the scrimmage with the first team at left tackle, but they've got to find a backup your assessment of what you think you've seen of awesome Richards so far?
Speaker 3: I like him, and I I pick a guy every year that I would bug a coach about, and every other day I bug coach Mike Clarry about.
Speaker 2: Are some riches?
Speaker 3: And he finally said, you know, because coach will never give away information.
Speaker 2: So but I bug you he's pretty tight. Yeah, And he said nay.
Speaker 3: I say my man got sixty something snaps you know at guard? He said, yeah, I like him. Nay, he got great recovery, he got good feet. Uh, he can stay in front of a guy, but can't he finish?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: Is he physical enough? And that is an issue with him. Sometimes it's not they lose confidence. He's just kind of go out of haywire and and it won't look good for a couple of series, I mean a couple of snaps, not series of snaps, and and it and it leaves like, you know, that bad taste in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he he's got to get more physical and he's got to be a little bit more dominant.
Speaker 3: But he has the athletic ability and the recoverability with his feet to play tackle.
Speaker 2: Will he be mean enough? You know?
Speaker 3: Because if you got him at swing tackle with the possibility of playing a guard, you got a special guy. But if you don't toughen up and get full confidence from coach Slaur, we'll be bringing somebody in.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna have to Yeah, they'll look to see. But again with as I like to point out, two eight and eighty guys employed in the NFL, and if you're not employed at this point, what you got, especially offensive lineman because Savannah, we know that there's not enough of those guys to go around in the UFL, which really causes problems with offense in that league, let alone have extra guys available to be experienced backups here in the NFL. So that's one thing that we're going to have to keep looking at.
Speaker 4: And I really do think awesome Richards has the opportunity right now to step up and show that he's a physical guy and really work on it. This is a great day where he's practicing against the Rams to start implementing some of that.
Speaker 5: But also, I mean, we do need to look at the.
Speaker 4: Fact Earl Bostick, we have him on the chart, Nathan Thomas, one of our seventh round picks.
Speaker 5: Obviously, these guys take a lot of time.
Speaker 4: To develop, but these are opportunities for those two as well. I really think you need to look at this whole roster, whole offensive line group, and see who's going to be the most physical in this area. Awesome, Richards needs to make that step up, but we do have Earl Bostick who played.
Speaker 5: A little bit during the first preseason game as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what worries me though, is we're talking about guys who have no experience playing in the NFL, and then you're going to ask them to probably not get as much practice as you normally would if you're a starter, to be able to jump in and not only play well, but know what to do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I think that's kind of a scary proposition.
Speaker 3: Right now, Arbos is probably ahead of the other guy right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And they seem like they want, well, let's go on the right side. And he hasn't had a good camp yet. I don't know what you think, but I think he's in a push to make this team.
Speaker 3: It's two guys, and I refuse him to call the name. I've never been fans of theirs, and I don't want their parents of wise think that I hate him. But Josh Baul, yeah, I know, I've never been fans of theirs. Tall Rangy look like after they guys, but for some reason.
Speaker 2: They when you can't stay healthy, that bothers me.
Speaker 3: You know, when you when I know you're not gonna give me at least for twelve fourteen games, that bothers me. Neither one of these guys give you that. I'm not saying that they're not mature and understand his game by now, but they won't give you twelve to fourteen games. They'll be in and out of the lineup, so you can't even depend on them as backups, kind of like I look at Tchuma. You can't depend on them. But that's that's today's NFL. I think every team is suffering with that.
Speaker 2: And really the only experienced Ball has is on special teams. Yes, he's played thirteen games in his career, but he really hasn't had any offensive line snaps and well, let's go, just can't stay healthy and he has no experience. And those are two guys. I believe both of them were fourth round draft choices, fifth round draft choices, and there's nothing there. So that's one thing the Cowboys are gonna have to look at. And I think we think that Guyton has the ability. He shows he got better feet than I thought he had, but he needs reps. He missed four practices last week with a chest cold, but he was able to play. I think it was two series. They didn't want to overdo it with him. But we will see him out here today against the Rams with the first team at left tackle. We'll see him against the Raiders playing in that preseason game on Saturday. But as you said, Nate, he needs repss man.
Speaker 3: I am so excited when they told many Rams was coming back in here. I am so excited because they they have a pass rushing group of guys that ain't nothing nice. They got a young guy verse, I mean who this this is different? I mean where it's Parson is pure speed. This guy got a little bit more. He got some speed, he got some power, and he can and he put it together the of the day on us. Now, I'm not saying this is a game, but this guy got something.
Speaker 2: He's talking about number eight, Oh my god, verse and you look at his body. He might have been the best player I saw in the field for the Rams.
Speaker 3: Bro I don't know what he was.
Speaker 2: He's a rookie, but boy, yeah no, but man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but man, you know, yeah yeah, first round draft choice.
Speaker 3: And and he's willing to mix it up. He's willing to get physical with you if you want to get physical, and he gets he's.
Speaker 2: A chairper, he's a chirper.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm gonna keep out on him during the season. I want to know what he does during the season. And like I say, Sacks ain't gonna impress me with him, but hurries tackles for loss. I want to see, is he got that all around game?
Speaker 2: Well, when I ran it, or I should say, uh, he came up to me. Uh, Giton's dad. Yeah here, he's been here a couple of days already, and uh, I said, well, you got to get him going and he goes, I'm just the mental coach. I'll stay out of mentally right to make sure he's getting.
Speaker 3: I could have sued here we go. I could have cured Gydon in two days if I know Jim and Britt. Please don't take this roll with but I could have cured him with an old time cure.
Speaker 2: Some fixed this hot tower in a hot towel in a hot room.
Speaker 3: Get rid of Yeah, I had him right, I'm just messing around. Please don't tell Jim.
Speaker 4: No, he just needs as many reps as possible today and on Saturday and through the rest of training camp.
Speaker 5: But awesome, Richards, he needs some reps too.
Speaker 4: So it's got to be a good rotation because you can't put it all on Tyler, Giton just right away. You both, these guys both need to get caught.
Speaker 3: Up to speak now.
Speaker 2: First round pick, Yeah, right away, right away, right away. I would have got be honest with you. Miss shouldn't even mess around if you we know what Tuma doga is.
Speaker 3: More importantly, in today's NFL, your first, first, second, and third pick, you don't mess around, even if you got a great starter. Even if you got a great starter, you still don't mess around. You tell you to say, hey, man, we're gonna put this boy in here. You know, you the man. You don't mess around because it's called development, and we don't get with so many days and what if a guy get a chess cold, then he gonna miss four days. Come on now, you don't mess around, you agreement?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely. And the other move that we're gonna see today is Cooper. BB has been second team center, making the transition from guard to center in the NFL. He's gonna work with the first team today. So they're gonna put him in with the first line and we'll see how he does. Now, brock Hoffman's been holding that spot down, and I don't think there was anything wrong with brock Hoffman, but I think they want to see what BB does at center, and so this week he moves to center. See that third round.
Speaker 3: Pick, by the way, But this is the problem I had. You should have been doing that two weeks ago, just periodically putting him in two weeks ago, first second and third round picks.
Speaker 2: Don't play with them. Don't mess around with these guys.
Speaker 3: Development is everything, because if the season starts and we go two weeks in and brock get hurt.
Speaker 2: Who is the center? Cooper b B. Why haven't we been working Cooper BB. He's gotten some apps, but not on a consistent basis, Like they'll they'll love you, Laurie, but you you I need to come into your meeting room. They'll share, they'll they shared snaps there for a while. But I think they like what they saw in the preseason game when he basically got the start, right, yes, because they didn't play oh no, Hoffman played a little bit and then they brought be played like two and a half series. Yeah, yeah, And and so they like what they saw from BB, and they're thinking, well, this probably is the eventual future. Well, sometimes the future is now, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would not change my thoughts into this new n this new NFL. Your first three picks, you have to know as soon as you can do they have a chance to be successful in this league. Not being stars, but okay, we drafted this guy. We gotta know, and we can't wait three years and be saying well no, and I'm and I talk to some scouts and usually I don't know if you have, but I know he's at they off continually arguing at the coaches, Hey man, you love this guy. You stood on the table for this guy. Why you're not practicing this guy?
Speaker 2: So why not? So you tell the story about I guess it would have been nineteen ninety two. Yes, somebody said play this guy. Yeah, Jimmy, just what see that's when it affected you.
Speaker 3: It affected me. I mean, I I've told him time, Jimmy. Eric Williams was a rookie. He tried to deliver it at left tackle. Didn't work, right tackle. He looked at good, he looked it okay, And so I figured, you know, I'm I'm the starting right time. I got another year with this guy before they you know, before me and him really competing. We're at what it's Ed's. We were in the in the little prayer room you know where you you know, we're in a little prayer room. It wasn't special. It was a little woman I guess where all the coginals met or whatever, and uh.
Speaker 2: It was it was there.
Speaker 3: Was a military chapel, thank you. And so we're sitting in there. I'm sitting here, Eric, sitting right here. This is the door coming right past you, Mick, and I'm sitting Eric, and we taking notes and everything mad Eric chopping it up and Tony Wise is right there. Like the cameras we talked of Jimmy, bust.
Speaker 2: Through the door. Just bust through the door. You know he had something serious.
Speaker 3: Lips Tony. He looked at Tony. Tony stops and look and he looks at Eric. Eric is our right tackle. He barely glanced at me. I'm sitting right next to Eric. The year before, you just told me I was one of the best five offensive linemen and you was moving me out to right tackle because I was better at right tackle than Kevin Gogan, and.
Speaker 2: You moved Gold to the left guard.
Speaker 5: Now were you shocked in that moment?
Speaker 3: Well, no, this is the still he told me, because I was finna fight Jimmy over.
Speaker 2: There verbally, and he said, because I'd.
Speaker 3: Beat him up before I even opened my mouth to go back and forth with him, he said, He said, Nate, you have no choice. You either started right tackle or you don't have a job. And you don't have a job. And I'm not not not a job on this office, a job at all. I said, Okay, I get your drift, coach, I'm your right tackle. But so when he busted in there and did that with Eric, I'm kind of just waiting till the meeting was old, burning up, you know. Went to I said, coach, look at her Man. You told me that ain't changed. I'm still one of the best friends. Kevin Gogan, I sold Kevin Gogan. Sorry, Kevin, forgive me. I said, Kevin Gogan is not a better left guard than me. That's my natural position. And he went to Tony said, put Nate back at left guard. That's only fair.
Speaker 2: And I and I remember telling the story and Tony was like, well no, because then we got to move people. Yeah, I don't know that Eric's ready and Jimmy basically was he's your starting right tacklele fix it. And I don't care whose feelings you hurt.
Speaker 4: Yes, sometimes it's got to be that way, and it's not like that sometimes.
Speaker 2: Now the thing is, and how did that turn out? It turned out three super Bowls that.
Speaker 3: But the thing what I'm trying to say is if Tuma a Dooga had his foot solidly in the door, I understand what you're saying. We have no left tackle as of today. We do not have We have a potential starter in this young guy. We have a potential backup in Oswitch and we don't know.
Speaker 2: That is scary.
Speaker 3: The reason is scary because you have a guy that's potentially gonna make sixty million dollars standing up believing that this his backside is covered. That's why we don't That's why I don't believe in playing games. Now, you're finna goes to the most important part of the offensive line, which is the middle. And if the middle is soft, then Dak's gonna be gooey because they gonna dump them.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna Yeah, we'll stop right there. I think we got it. Yeah, it's a matter of we probably we probably take it. Need to take a break right now. And that's right. We got some good stuff coming here.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 6: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 7: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less feeling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Light is in fact less feeling and taste great.
Speaker 9: I'm shine legal guy, celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand, three point two grams.
Speaker 2: Carvers for twelve bounces if you were cal and cars. The premium regular.
Speaker 10: Beer fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped a presscout.
Speaker 2: Who looks right, It's not there. He escapes left. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 1: Toned Shots.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys Training Camp presented by American Airlines is here. Head to Sunny Oxnar in California from July twenty fifth through August twenty first to watch the team practice.
Speaker 5: Admission is free.
Speaker 4: More information visit Dallascowboys dot Com Slash Training Camp.
Speaker 2: And we continue here on mix Shots in beautiful Oxnard, California. Cowboys gonna scrimmage against the Rams here in about Oh it's tired at eleven o'clock. I believe so a couple hours. And uh, that'll be exciting here and exciting for the fans if they were able to find out. This was sort of a changing plans after the game on Sunday, the Rams evidently we're having some problems with where they were practicing. They had plans to maybe practice against the Chargers or the Saints, but things fell through, and you know, they after the game, they came to McCarthy and said, well, what about another scrimmage. We're just right down the road. So here we are.
Speaker 4: A thousand Oaks, the Thousand Oaks, I think i's like a ride up there.
Speaker 2: Go up there tomorrow and see what's going on and practice. If they let you in, they probably want some Sirius security. Okay, so let's move to the other line, the defensive line where the Cowboys were talking about moving a couple of people around. I think for Mike Zimmer's taste, Fijoko came here as a defensive end. They moved him inside, and I don't think Mike thought he was big enough to play defensive tackle, even as a pass rusher, So it sounds like he's going back outside to defensive end along with Chauncey Golston, who they still think could do some rushing inside, but he's more of a defensive end. And let's face it, it's not all about Marshawn Neeland. They really like what he's done so far. I thought he played really well in the in the preseason game. But who's who's the next guy up behind him? Now we understand maybe because of what happened with Sam Williams, they got to use Michael Parsons maybe more as a defensive end or at least a pass rusher than they wanted to, because he is still getting snaps at linebacker. But who's behind Kneelan? And I think when they're looking at that, it's like, well, we need some help there. And I think they also have to figure out, even if they are force feeding Mazi to be one of the starting defensive tackles along with OsO Diggi Zua, who's behind him at the nose tackle? And I think they've got to establish that. So have you seen anybody Nate that you catch your eye that could play in place of Mazzi if he's not out there. Carl Davis did nice.
Speaker 3: I think he did really nice, like two or three players in a row where he just knocked the offensive guard back and just and got tackles. I mean, so we'll see. He's a veteran type guy and this is ninth year. Yeah, but you know what right about nice is who's doing the job? Okay, and you he's he did the job in the game. So here we go once again. I just think that if something don't hurry up and happen in the middle of our defense, we're gonna have to go get a guy.
Speaker 2: Those are two positions that I worry about.
Speaker 3: Is our depth offensive line in the middle of our defensive line. Someone don't step up and say, hey, I'm that guy, you might have to find someone on the street.
Speaker 2: Now, they have brought in Albert Huggins, who has some experience in the league. Fifth or sixth year guy. We'll see what he can do. He's a bigger defensive tackle right right, And I know Zim puts a premium on stopping the run, but again, you do need some pass rush in the middle of due and not just on third down, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you don't know in this league, you know, where sixty five percent passing. Now some teams are seventy You're gonna have to have somebody that can least force it and crush down the pocket a litit so our deepens vans can work inside and out. So, uh, it's a thin line. It's a very thin line. And unfortunately, I think on defense you can find guys on the inside that can do both fairly.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't have to be great, just fair.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other guys there they did draft in the what six seventh round, Justin Rogers, Yes, young guy, no experience. And then the other guy in there that's been getting snaps is Denzel Dackson, Savannah's guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I actually really like him.
Speaker 4: In one note on him is when I talked to Will McLay about Denzel, he was saying how they actually loved his abil for double team coverage and what he can do in that area, and just how they looked at him before they even realized he was.
Speaker 5: An international player.
Speaker 4: So they get that bonus roster, seventeenth guy on the practice squad, but they were going to pick him up before they even knew he qualified internationally. They liked what he could do on that line and so I like seeing him.
Speaker 5: Get some reps here.
Speaker 2: Speaking of, just to throw this out there, their former international guy, Isaac Alarcon with the forty nine ers. He's with the forty nine ers and evidently doing some nice things. He's back playing offensive tackle.
Speaker 5: That's good. That was good.
Speaker 2: Maybe they need to keep an eye on him.
Speaker 4: I know he switched to defense and then well the.
Speaker 2: Cowboys switched him. The Niners said, no, you're an offensive tackle. So he's one of their backup offensive tackles forty nine ers right now. But yes, that's a position I think that the Cowboys have to obviously take a look at. But you know what the good thing about today is we're gonna see some of these guys. But the guys that didn't play in the scrimmage, that's the front line guys will practice because it's a it's a controlled practice and they'll get some good work with the first teamers out here today. Which those guys, if they're not gonna play in the preseason game and they kept twenty five of them out of the game, then they need work and we're gonna be able to see it. And by the way, no problem with Dak Prescott. He's good to go, even though they gave him a day the other day with a sore ankle. You know, that's just something that he's gonna have to deal with. As you get older and you had surgery somewhere, you get sometimes you get soreness. It comes back and haunts you. I don't know if you ever had did you have knee surgery? Y just scopes, nothing meniscus, right, yeah, but at some point it reminds you, oh, you had something done there, right, You get a little arthritis and so but Dak's fine, he's good to go. Not really any update on ceed Lamb's situation. You know it's gonna get done. It's just a matter of when. And you know with this new rules with the CBA on how basically rookies don't hold out anymore. Nate, You remember during your day all the guys that were missing training camp trying to get a contract, right, not only rookies but veterans. I think I looked one year and five starters were missing in training camp because they were looking for contract extensions. And you guys dealt with it, right, Yeah, you just got to.
Speaker 3: Ever hold no nah nah? Then you know any money was good money.
Speaker 2: With me.
Speaker 3: I didn't care. He trying to find I needed my predym too, even though it two hundred and fifty a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think it is now? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: The thing, the thing that keeps me saying is I don't worry about these guys money. You know, you get a lot of older guys worrying about these guys money.
Speaker 2: This is their money. Yes, we we we we put in some.
Speaker 3: Time to help them get it. But somebody put in some time to help us get us a little bit more money.
Speaker 2: So stop.
Speaker 3: Just whatever they gotta do to get CD Lamb back in here, and whatever CD has to do to get back in here, they'll work it out.
Speaker 2: It'll take place right. Everybody seems really concerned about it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other thing I saw in the walk through the Trayvon Diggs was doing the walkthrough with the first team defense at right cornerback. Now we're gonna see out when they turn him loose to be able to actually put the pads on and do more than seven on seven.
Speaker 3: So it's getting close. You know the other day when I was hollering out, you know, we don't need we need tray Von y'all. Okay, he's our best corner when healthy. But what I was trying to get everybody to understand, we got Al Harris and the guys that we do have are doing a great job, and I think they'll even get better this year. But if we can get Digs back at some point during the season, we will be It will help our pass rush too, because they can come up and press and and give us that split second more for a pass rusher to get home.
Speaker 2: So that that sort of reminds me. Last week, Mike Zimmer was telling the story of they were in a meeting and they were going over different ways if they had to take a cornerback away, how they would I mean a wide receiver way, how they would have to play the guy. And he had two different schemes. And he goes and after he gave this long talk about this and this and what we're going to do, and he said, oh, by the way, we got two Pro Bowl corners. You guys just go out there and play and forget about everything I just talked about. Yeah, because he was telling my corners can take guys away. Talking about Bland and Digs, He'll be ready for the start of the season. They just want to be careful with a guy coming back from a torn ACL and putting him out there in contact drills too soon. But he looks like he's ready to go. We saw, I think it was more than maybe even two weeks ago, that after one of the practice they were all huddled up and then all of a sudden, Digs and Parsons start sprinting for the end zone. And it had to be a good forty yards, right, Digs beat him, and you know, Parsons don't like losing it anything, right, And I don't know if and we've talked about this, if Diggs was running their stocking feet, yeah, because he doesn't like putting his shoes on too much. But he can run and he's chomping at the bit. But you got to be careful, just the way they were with Demarvian overshown in the preseason game. I think he got like eleven snaps, but he had three tackles in eleven snaps. So he's a guy that you know, he's coming back from the ACL. You don't want to expose him too soon. Just kind of ease them in because, as they'll say, we can't win the Super Bowl on August fourteenth. You know, get these guys ready to be able to start and play. So but Diggs is on the way. There's no problem there. He's good to go. And you know, talking to the coaches, they seem to think that from a mental standpoint, he's maybe has dealt with that fact that I mean, when you first come back after an injury, you got to get over it mentally too. Trust what they fixed. So I think he's good there. You know what, I've got a little bit of a historical surprise for you guys, and I think we'll take the break early so we have some time to talk about that on mixshots coming up next.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 6: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm me Shine, legal guy, Celebrate responsibily.
Speaker 9: Milwaukee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve ounces, fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 10: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties.
Speaker 2: Let Yo Kiero be your.
Speaker 10: One stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Press, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 2: The fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll love full a first down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Press Scout's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot com Tonicked Shots.
Speaker 4: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition features scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp preview today at your local pro shop or Dallas Cowboys dot com Slash Star and this is what it looks like And one of the first articles is of course Mickey Spagnola's awfully good.
Speaker 5: Don't miss it.
Speaker 2: Awfully good start to magazine, by the way. All right, we continue here with mix shots. And I was looking something up and got reminded that in nineteen eighty six when the Cowboys were in training camp in Thousand Oaks, California, this was a significant week thirty eight years ago. First of all, I saw on August eleventh, nineteen eighty six. It was just a one line in the in the notes at the end, and it said the Dallas Cowboys worked out Nathaniel the Kitchen Newton six two and a half three hundred and twenty nine pounds. Do you realize that thirty eight years ago nine the list three twenty nine they had them listed at and Jim Myers, Jim Myers the offensive line, said he's got the biggest arms I've ever seen on a man. And then a day later they signed. On August twelfth, they signed Nate Newton, brought him into training camp, and Myers had this to say, he goes, he's in terrible condition, about forty pounds overweight, but he still did five pull ups and did them the right way too. Right now, I'll take all the talent I can get so. In the first practice, we documented that Nate playing guard, had to go up against Randy White and John Dutton, two veteran defensive tackles, knocked them both to the ground, and the nice guy Nate was, he helped him up. Were you a little worried you about hurt veterans right here? Man?
Speaker 3: Randy White was special, bro John did not so much. He was mean, yeah, but he was mean. These were some Uh, there were some great gentlemen man, and uh, they was kind on the way.
Speaker 2: They was very kind pull ups.
Speaker 3: They were right because they him and uh, he's a Hall of Famer defensive line coach. Uh from Randy he was, he was Hall of famer anyway, the defensive line coach. They betted that I couldn't do five pull ups, and I heard him. You overheard it, Yeah, and that's what made me do the five pull ups and no more. I could have did many more pull ups, but they you know, so when they say get on the pull up bar, I bet you can't do five pull ups, you know, And the defense line took the coach took him up on it. So what I did, I jumped up the right which they ain't think I could jump either, I could down the basketball. So I jumped up there. I pulled up once. I pulled up twice in the fourth oh Man, I just brown. Oh Man just Bradly got my fill. I just and I looked at him. I said, pay him his money.
Speaker 2: I told coach.
Speaker 3: I thought I was gonna get cut. So I was gonna I was gonna not go make it. You know what I'm saying, Man, I'm getting cut. I won't be here, you know. I get my autograph from Coach Landra and I'll be gone.
Speaker 2: And the reason Nate was eligible uh to come and work out for the Cowboys was the u s FL folded probably the week before, or at least they two weeks two weeks, right, the Cowboys were in London and they uh, the NFL won a the USFL was UH one lawsuit against the against the NFL, and the USFL won and they were rewarded a one dollar UH payment.
Speaker 3: And then and then so anything like that is a triple reward. So right, so we had to split that up against you know how many players.
Speaker 2: You got a penny? Right, So bye, by then they were able. You were at the Tampa Bay bandits UH and so he was eligible to come out. But something else happened that week. Nate, do you remember did we get hirshing in absolutely another for so thirty eight years ago? Yesterday they signed herschel Walker UH to a five year, five million dollar contract with This was unprecedented in cowboy history to get that much of money. Mad veterans. Do you remember how mad the veterans were?
Speaker 3: And they didn't they didn't care nothing about bringing it out. They didn't care nothing about saying it. Oh they was. They was hot. It was two guys they were mad at. Remember the quarterback we signed, I can't think of his name. He played at UH Southern Methodist.
Speaker 2: A cornerback or quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, I can't think of his name. Well, at that time, the back of behind Danny White were Steve Ploor and Gary Hogebu.
Speaker 3: And then no, we brought in another guy, black guy, quarterback.
Speaker 2: You drafted out of Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Yes, they drafted him. But he went to the USFL and played first and then came.
Speaker 2: Right and I'm looking guy and he wasn't got it. I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: Okay, this was nineteen eighty six, correct, Okay, Reggie Regie.
Speaker 2: I hate hey, look at here.
Speaker 3: Look here you're talking about some guys were hot because he had clauses in his contract that you know, and that's how they tried to hide the money. And every year, almost at the end of the year, the NFL Players Association was sent out everybody's contract and they found out all that millions and millions of hitting dollars that they was paying. Reggie car You, Randy White came unglued where he had to fight almost every other year to get paid. Everson Wall was in cents. Man, I cannot believe this. I'm like us, aveiled baby.
Speaker 2: So what happened was the Cowboys had the rights to Herschel Walker. Yes it is that drafted them in the fifth round in nineteen eighty five, but he was property of the New Jersey Generals, owned by Donald I will make you lose all your money Trump, and he had signed a personal services contract I guaranteed four year, six million dollar deal, so they had to for so, even though the UFL folded and the Cowboys had the rights to Herschel, Trump had to give permission for Herschel to play in the NFL because he had a personal service contract right So he comes in August twelfth, the date Nate signs, and they had a press conference for him. He hadn't even signed yet, right, They got him signed the next day. So thirty eight years ago, yesterday they signed Herschel Walker And the first thing Tony Dorsett said was trade me. I'm out of here. And by the end of the day he kind of calmed down because now Herschel was going to make more money than Tony in what his tenth year with the Cowboys. And I remember when they first asked and I was there. They asked Tony what he felt about them signing Herschel and he said, I feel like a million dollars. He wanted a million dollars too. But the best thing, here's what Everson Walls had to say, and ever our partner on mixed shots, right, he had the right to renegotiate his contract as he had incentives that he achieved. In eighty five he led the league in interceptions once again. Well, he came out to practice and you know how you kind of tape up your ankles and your socks and everything. So they called him the spats back then he put a dollar sign on his ankles he painted a dollar sign on his ankles, and he said, if they were going to do something like this, as slick as the Cowboys tried to be, sometimes they'd have signed everyone else first. Because Mike Sharad was holding out. Doug Cosby needed a contract, He needed a contract. They are going to hear from a lot of people about this. They know there's going to be a backlash, and there was from the veteran players that year, and then Herschel came in and they finally kind of made peace and shared the running back position. And that year, the first half of the year, if you remember Nate, uh, you guys finished after eight games six and two, tied with the Giants who were six and two for first place in the NFC East. And then in Game nine, Danny White had his wrists broken, ligaments separated. The Giants never lost. They won that game barely. The Giants never lost another game, won the Super Bowl. The Cowboys only won one more game after Danny got hurt. You know what's amazing.
Speaker 3: If Hershel only knew that he was really really impacted Cowboys in a different way, and.
Speaker 2: That's where I was getting to. And that was at the beginning of how the trade went down in nine when they traded them for all those draft choices. Well, the thing that happened, if you think about it, after he got there, you guys never had another winning season.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we became a one dimensional team. We were well balanced before Hershel got that well balanced. No one player dominated the scene, even though we had stars like Tony's are, said Tony Hill, Randy, I mean Danny White.
Speaker 2: Randy White, Yeah, Danny we we we we on offensive offense, but.
Speaker 3: We we it would spread that ball around and coach Landrum would have it working. And we became Herschel walker. And when Jimmy got here, the offensive uh a lot offensive coach, we were herschel Walker.
Speaker 2: And that's Jimmy said, That's what I'm afraid of. Well, I can remember, I could remember. I could remember Jimmy saying the reason that he wanted the more versatile running back was that Herschel was a straight line. Yes, right, and his whole deal was running over people like he did Bill Bates when they were in college playing again. Yeah, that up, But anyway, that was the start of that week. Nate Newton, six time Pro Bowl guard, signs with the Cowboys and then.
Speaker 3: I was the reason we went to the Super Bowl. They built the team around me when you were four hundred pounds. They have no other choice but to build.
Speaker 2: The That's that's that's a lot of building to get around. He built the team around me. All right, Well we're out of time. But I just thought that was I knew of the herschel Walker thing, but I forgot that that was the week Nate showed up. Yeah, and the guy that was the assistant equipment manager, Nick von Diggs. We got Carson a little behind the scenes banter and so we better get out before it gets too hot heated, right, Yeah, Nate, Anna, I'm Mickey, and we'll be back when Chris because Monday, Friday, Monday next week, Monday, next week, mix shots on. I'll be calling in.
Speaker 3: I'll be on the road. I'll call in me all right, yeah, come on, I don't spoiler.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.