Speaker 1: Missing in Arizona contains graphic depictions of violence and may not be suitable for all listeners.
Speaker 2: It's morning again in America.
Speaker 1: April tenth, two thousand and one, eight forty one am, Scottsdale, Arizona. In one minute, this suburban ranch at the end of a cul de sac in the valley of the Sun will explode, But before it does, walk with me through the front door.
Speaker 3: In the shosh.
Speaker 1: It's dark, the air is stagnant. Morning light seeps through closed curtains. A pair of eyes stare at us from across a murky living room. The head of an elk mounted on a wall glide with me quietly down the hall, past the furnace stop. A candle flickers, illuminating three bedroom doors. In each room, a bed in each bed, a body. Mary Fisher thirty eight, Knee Fisher twelve, Bobby Fisher ten. It's morning in America, two thousand and one. These walls in two chaos that in a moment will spill out as fire and smoke and charred debris, a violent rupture, and the hunt will begin for Robert Fisher Boom from iHeartRadio and Neon thirty three. I'm John Walzac and this is Missing in Arizona, the story of a man who disappeared after allegedly killing his wife and kids, blowing up their suburban home, and escaping into the wilderness. Twenty three years later, I'm hunting Robert Fisher, and I need your help. In April two thousand and one, Robert Fisher pulled off one of the greatest escapes in American criminal history. After slitting the throats of his wife and children and shooting his wife in the head. Fisher rigged their house to explore, then sped away in his wife's suv. Police say nine days later, a man camping at a remote forest located the abandoned suv and Fisher's dog Blue near a series of caves. Since then nothing did Fisher die by suicide? Did someone help him flee? Perhaps he's alive today. Fisher's timing was impeccable. He vanished at precisely the right moment on the eve of nine to eleven, Facebook the iPhone ring cameras. He exited just as the Promethean tentacles of the modern surveillance state started to suffocate the world. His disappearance would be virtually impossible today. Early two thousand and one marked in many ways the beginning of the end of the mono mystery. Mysteries so dramatic and stupefying, perpetually unresolved, that they burrowed deep into our collective consciousness, unifying a house divided, if briefly in magnetic spectacle and society wide confusion, was the twilight of an era during which you could say, kill your family, flee, and not be caught on anything more than grainy ATM footage. Yet even then, the Fisher case never achieved the same fame as, say, the disappearance of DC interns Chandra Levy in May two thousand and one, or Andrea Yates drowning her five kids in a bathtub in June two thousand and one. Why maybe because men killing women or kids in a domestic setting is so common in America that, despite its barbarity, this case fails to shock. Or maybe because Fisher wasn't even the most famous fugitive who allegedly fled into a cave in two thousand and one after perpetuating a violent spectacle, And this case is spectacle. It's cinematic in many ways. It's a classic Western a mysterious figure commits a series of brutal murders, triggers, and explosion and flees into the rugged landscape pursued by law enforcement and twenty three years later and journalists with a masochistic pension for mind boggling mysteries to be upfront. I haven't found Fisher yet, but I have found a ton of new information, including new witnesses, new clues, and new persons of interest. This is a case with so many frustrating questions. The most critical is Robert Fisher alive today? The FBI says it doesn't have an official opinion. Yet, the bureau kept him on its ten most wanted list for nineteen years. Why do that if you think he's dead. If Fisher is alive, he's sixty three and extremely dangerous. A man who kills his wife and kids won't hesitate to kill again. Take a moment now to look at our show art. It features an age progressed image of what Fisher could look like today. I want you to scan the men you know, neighbors, coworkers, friends, your husband, your father who was not in your life prior to April two thousand and one. Later in the show, I'll share Fisher's voice, recreated using artificial intelligence. Listen closely. Does it sound like anyone you know? Let me speak now directly to Robert Fisher. Robert, if you're tuning in, and if you made it this far, you probably are, Listen closely. I will not give up. I'm not the police, I am not the FBI. I found things they missed. I can dedicate all my time to you. I will follow up on every lead today, tomorrow, in ten years. You like control, well, this is your final moment of control. These words are going out to millions of people, and it's not two thousand and one anymore. You're going to make mistakes or someone will turn you in. And if you are in fact dead, if I'm speaking to a ghost, fine, I still want to find you. I want to bring home your bones so that the people whose lives ruptured when Mary, Brittany and Bobby died can find the tiniest bit of peace. I sat with them, the people who loved your wife, your kids, even you. I looked them in the eyes. I listened as they told me how much this blew up their lives, their sense of security. Robert, this is now my full time job to find you. Monday, April ninth, two thousand and one, there's a major crisis in the South China Sea. Eight days ago, an American spy plane collided with a Chinese jet, then made an emergency landing on a nearby island. Its crew remains detained.
Speaker 4: We've got every diplomatic channel open. We're in discussions with the Chinese. Is now time for our troops to come home so that our relationship does not become damaged.
Speaker 1: Time magazine features an egg sizzling in a frying pan above the headline global warming, climbing temperatures, melting, glaciers, rising seas. The radiant egg yolke is cleverly earth itself. We're feeling the heat. Times says, why isn't Washington on the front page of the Arizona Republic in this order? A weather forecast sonny high seventy four, low forty nine, the words good morning, and a photo of Tony Soprano scowling in a bathrobe. An Italian American group wants the Sopranos canceled or boycotted. I think it's bad for America. A spokesman says, we're having children shooting each other in schools, and we have a program that's deifying and romanticizing shooting people in the head. This is America. April ninth, two thousand and one. The song Butterfly by crazy Town is number one on the radio. Spy Kids is the top movie. Aliyah is Alive. The Twin Towers are standing and in Scottsdale, Arizona, a well to do Phoenix suburb, the Fisher family is getting ready for the day. Dad Robert thirty nine, Mom Mary thirty eight, daughter Brittany twelve, son Bobby ten, seven thirty am Robert Fisher begins his shift at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix. He's a medical technician who works in a cardiac cath lab, assisting doctors and nurses with invasive diagnostic procedures.
Speaker 5: They go in and they run catheter up into the heart and up into the blood vessels, sometimes near the brain, and they'll shoot different kinds of eyes and they'll look at it on this image to see as their thought.
Speaker 1: This is one of Fisher's coworkers. I agreed not to name him.
Speaker 5: The catheter is very big. It's about the size of your pin. So when they take it out, you have to hold pressure for a long long time for a plot to form.
Speaker 1: If you're on a gurney today in the cath lab, just know that this man's standing over you, six feet tall, one hundred and ninety pounds, light brown hair, blue eyes, holding pressure on your wound will, according to police, murder his family in about twelve hours. As Robert Fisher starts work, his wife Mary takes the kids to school. Ten year old Bobby is a gentle goofball, quiet but funny. He loves video games and blanket forts and his razor scooter. He's a fourth grader at Pima Elementary School.
Speaker 6: He was a sweetheart.
Speaker 1: Beth Anderson is a Fisher family friend. Her son Brock is Bobby's age.
Speaker 6: At the time, we had a convertible and we were coming down the one oh one and they asked me, can we ride with the top down, like, don't put the top up? And I said, well, it's going to be really loud and noisy and windy, and then oh, we don't care. We don't care. So they're in the backseat and off we go. We're coming down the one oh one, and these two were just laughing hysterically, just belly laughing. Their arms were up in the air, they were waving to people, and I just remember looking in the rear view mirror, thinking the innocence of childhood.
Speaker 1: Not long before the murders, some of Bobby's friends attend to sleep over at the Fisher House. The kids watched the nineteen ninety nine remake of The Haunting, starring Liam Neeson, Catherine Zada Jones and a Rotten Tomatoes score of seventeen percent.
Speaker 7: That terrible movie. Looking back on it now.
Speaker 1: Brock Anderson, it scared the crap out of me. The film's antagonist, Hugh Crane, is a womanizing bully who kills children and burns their bodies in his fireplace.
Speaker 7: I remember watching that and Robert was there. I remember him kind of interacting with us in like a playful way of like, oh, yeah, you guys are scared.
Speaker 1: Brock spends a lot of time at the Fisher House.
Speaker 7: I remember how dark the lighting was in that home. It always just felt like a cave. The main light would come from the kitchen, the living room, like it just curtains were always just kind of closed. It always just seemed kind of dark.
Speaker 1: Robert Fisher is a cheapskate who doesn't want to pay for air conditioning, even in blazing Arizona, so he keeps the curtains drawn. Twenty two to twenty three North seventy fourth Place is Robert's stifling castle, and in it he does whatever he wants. Mary be damned.
Speaker 7: Mary would always get really bothered by Robert chewing tobacco at the table when we'd be eating dinner.
Speaker 2: He was just always.
Speaker 1: Chewing winter green Copenhagen.
Speaker 7: He always had a cup or a coke can or something, and yeah, I remember she would just kind of give him that look or make a Snyder remark, and it was just kind of like, this is awkward.
Speaker 1: That sniping is a sign of a toxic dynamic, a husband always attempting to assert control, a wife willing to fight back. I wanted to spell immediately any image of Mary as some passive yes sir wallflower steamrolled by her domineering husband. Mary is strong, five foot four, one hundred and thirty five pounds, blonde hair, blue eyes, a natural born leader with many friends and a jovial streak of sarcasm. Her life centers on Jesus and her kids. Yes, she believes a wife should be submissive to a degree, but it's also her choice when to fight and when to just roll her eyes, not because she's weak, but because she's wise. You see this dynamic obnoxious Robert exasperated Mary on home videos, later rescued from a fire safe in the charred rubble of their house. In one clip from April nineteen eighty nine, Robert lays in bed, propped on pillows, holding the camera with one hand and with the other, his black lab Ruger, sits at the foot of the bed.
Speaker 8: Rue.
Speaker 3: You see your happy birthday to Brittany.
Speaker 1: It's Brittany's first birthday.
Speaker 8: Can you sing boy from your heart like you really meant?
Speaker 1: Robert pants the camera to Mary holding baby Brittany. Mary looks annoyed and quickly exits. Robert gets up and wanders around Brett.
Speaker 8: Brett mayor.
Speaker 9: Ma're here.
Speaker 10: I don't see it here they're here?
Speaker 8: Oh well, looky.
Speaker 3: Here go get a roof.
Speaker 1: Mary sitting on a toilet seat in the bathroom, combing Britney's hair.
Speaker 10: Say what what do you say?
Speaker 4: Mar?
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 7: Oh, this is Brittany's day, Ruger, get out of the day.
Speaker 1: Five years into their marriage, Mary is not afraid to bark at Robert, and Robert isn't afraid to be a smart ass in response. In fact, after Ruger exits the camera, still aimed at Mary's face, Robert plays the harmonica again, as if to purposely annoy her. The video then jumps to a scene of Robert and Brittany in a kiddie pool in the backyard. What two This clip shows something important. Robert clearly loves his kids. Yes, he's strict, but he cares deeply for Brittany and Bobby. If not, Mary, let me pause and get something out of the way. You're going to hear me occasionally say kind things about Robert Fisher. Don't mistake that for anything other than what it is, an accurate portrayal of a complex man. It doesn't serve anyone to paint Robert as a demonic cartoon. If we want to understand the crimes, if we want to understand Robert, if we want to find Robert, we have to resist the urge to soothe ourselves with an infantilized portrait of evil. April ninth, two thousand and one, around eight am, Mary arrives at her part time clerical job at a small medical supply company. Her boss, Lori Greenbeck, is also her friend.
Speaker 11: She was a very kind person, but she's very sassy. She was about five four, long, blonde hair, always had it curled, always styled. She's always wearing a button up blouse, tucked in shirt.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: She was always neat, always put together.
Speaker 1: And what about Robert jans.
Speaker 11: T shirt, slouching, dragging his feet, Yeah, he didn't care.
Speaker 1: Lunchtime on this sunny day, Robert Eet's outside with three co workers. He's quiet and distant with them, but alone, something's not right. At one point, he gets up and walks away. Sometime between two and three pm, Mary Fisher gets ready to leave work.
Speaker 2: She had a Reci's candy bar. They have two little cups in them. When she was just standing right in front of my desk, she opens this reseason. She puts one on my desk and then she took the other one and she was like, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Three twenty two pm, Mary signs a check at Kmart for eighteen dollars and eighteen cents. Sometime between three point thirty and three fifty pm, Robert sits on a floor at the hospital. He tells the doctor that his daughter, Brittany, is being inducted tonight into the National Junior Honor Society, and he's taking her to the ceremony. Three fifty one pm, Robert clocks out. This is strange. If he waits until three point fifty three, he'll get paid for a full hour. Today is the first time one coworker has ever seen him clock out early like this. What's the rush? Britney's Honor Society event isn't for three hours. Robert heads to the locker room. He changes out of scrubs and into street clothes. Here's the recreation of what a coworker later tells police.
Speaker 9: He had on a cutoff T shirt. I think it was a blue cutoff shirt from a fire department or something, okay, And he had a black Oakland Raiders hat and shades. Small sunglasses.
Speaker 8: Small sunglasses, yeah.
Speaker 9: Like I don't know if there are Oakley Okay?
Speaker 8: What kind of pants was he wearing?
Speaker 9: Blue jeans?
Speaker 1: The coworker and Robert exit the hospital around four pm. We're driving in the main entrance, can see the hospital, and so we are looking for the east side of the southern parking lot. This is where Robert gets into his Silver two thousand and one, dodge Ram three point fifty seven pm by now Mary's home from Kmart, she emails a group of friends about an upcoming women's retreat. The Fishers haven't had a computer for very long. Email is still a novelty between four pm and six forty five PM. Robert's whereabouts during this period are unconfirmed. He departs the hospital at four pm and his home at the latest by about six forty five. His house is nineteen miles south, a twenty to thirty minute drive, passing Scottsdale's most famous tourist attraction, Talies in West Frank Lloyd Writ's winter home. Wright built it after an ax wielding servant murdered seven people, including Wright's mistress and her kids, at Talius in East in Wisconsin in nineteen fourteen, before dousing the house in gasoline, burning it down, swallowing hydrochloric acid, and starving to death in jail seven weeks later. On April ninth, nineteen fifty nine, exactly forty two years before the Fisher's final day, Wright died in Phoenix after his third and final wife died in nineteen eighty five at a hospital in which Robert Fisher would soon work. Wright's remains were exzoomed, cremated, and relocated from Wisconsin to Scottsdale. April ninth, two thousand and one, about five pm, Mary Fisher speaks by phone with her sister Myrna Murna doesn't notice anything unusual. Between six and seven pm, Mary speaks by phone with her friend Mary Beth Rodin. Mary Beth doesn't notice anything unusual either. Six p fifty four pm sunset seven pm. Robert and Brittany are at Supei Middle School. Britney is set to be inducted into the National Junior Honor Society.
Speaker 8: The honor society was not just about getting a's and b's. It was also about how do you represent your community.
Speaker 1: Let me now introduce you to four teachers I lovingly call the Supeie Gang. Karen Ka Eberley, Britney's language arts teacher. Kim Spate, Britney's science teacher and basketball coach.
Speaker 12: I'm Ronda Featherston.
Speaker 1: Ronda helps run the National Junior Honor Society, and finally, the last member of the Supei Gang, Britney's social studies and math teacher, requested anonymity. Like many people, she believes Robert Fisher is alive and is concerned for her safety. Let's call her miss Honey in honor of the teacher in Matilda. None of these four women, three of whom were at the honor Society event, have ever been interviewed by media, and Ronda was never interviewed by law enforcement either. When I start reaching out to the supe I gang, they're initially and understandably suspicious. Who is this scoundrel? Is this a scam? They convene remotely and determine that yes, I am indeed legit. All of this is endearing to me and a bit strange. Like Brittany Fisher, I was born in nineteen eighty eight, and like Brittany, I was a seventh grader in April two thousand and one. In a way, it feels like reaching out to my old teachers decades later, trying to solve a mystery. Supei even resembles my middle school in North Carolina.
Speaker 8: It was Pink Frink, Split Green Doors.
Speaker 1: The ceremony takes place in the cafeteria on one side, a stage on the other, tables with cake and punch. John Baird, who co runs j with Ronda Featherston gave.
Speaker 12: A little introduction and we stood for the national anthem. The students were on stage and we had the chairs on the floor for parents.
Speaker 1: And guests, including Robert Fisher.
Speaker 3: He wasn't dressed up like I would have expected him to be.
Speaker 1: Miss Honey, Brittany's teacher and Honor Society sponsor, is likely the second to last person to see and speak with Robert Fisher before the murders.
Speaker 3: He was casual, but not grengy, but just casual. And I remember when I shook his hand that night to congratulate him, because Brittany was with me. I was like, congratulations, you must be so proud of her. There was no response. I got no response.
Speaker 1: Besides, this lines up with what Miss Honey told police in two thousand and one. She recalled telling Robert Fisher, you must be so proud of her. Robert shrugged his shoulders and said it's to be expected.
Speaker 3: It was almost like it was inconvenience to be at this ceremony, like, ugh, I guess we're going to do this.
Speaker 1: Earlier, Robert told a coworker that he doesn't live in a great school district. So Britney's Honor society induction might not be a big deal. Robert is there, but not there. Kay Eberly tells police quote he did not seem proud of Brittany.
Speaker 8: I remember shaking Robert Fisher's hand and getting a weird vibration from that, and I remember saying, you must be very proud of Brittany, and his response was I wouldn't expect anything less. And it was not in a happy voice. It was more of a yeah, this is what she needs to do.
Speaker 1: Robert asks Kay how long the event will last. She tells him about forty five minutes. Then he pulls his chair away from the other parents, teachers, and students. Now it's just him, Brittany, and miss Honey.
Speaker 3: Ended up in this really uncomfortable situation with Brittany and then her dad and then me and then over to this idea was that that was kind of strange. That's why I didn't leave her. I wasn't going to leave her, you know. I could have gone in sad with my colleagues because other people had families, you know. And then the teachers were seated somewhere else by tried to stay as much as I could.
Speaker 1: Brittany is quiet and smart and funny. She loves Jesus and has kind of a country western vibe. She keeps the photo of the family dog, blue tapes in her locker. She speaks to and stands up for kids with special needs. She has a slight lisp, but her dad refuses speech therapy, not for his kids. To visualize how old Brittany would be today, look to Lizzo. Brittany and Lizzo were born on the same day, April twenty seventh, nineteen eighty eight. Or look to Emma Stone, who, like Brittany, was born in nineteen eighty eight and grew up in Scottsdale, only fifteen minutes from the Fishers. It's unlikely Stone knew Brittany, but to be safe, I did reach out to her reps. They haven't gotten back to me yet. Brittany was only four months older than me. Calling through Fisher home videos, I found this clip. Brittany, wearing a pink and white Poga dott dress, gets off a school bus and runs to Mary. Mary pushes Bobby in a stroller.
Speaker 8: Slack and hamps from the bus stop.
Speaker 1: The date suddenly comes into focus. September eighth, nineteen ninety three. My fifth birthday. While interviewing people who knew Brittany, I came to see myself as a physical embodiment of their loss. I'm thirty five, Brittany would be thirty five, thirty six actually by the time this errs. In the home videos, there are so many delicate moments of Brittany and Bobby the banal beauty of childhood. There are also clips that, in retrospect seem kind of eerie. In one, Brittany dances in the front yard as her dad films ring.
Speaker 2: Well the Roney the road.
Speaker 1: Ashes ashes, we all fall down. Then you hear Robert Fisher in front of a house that, according to police, he will one day burn down.
Speaker 8: Ah.
Speaker 1: In another, Mary asked Brittany that a water gun and here's one more. Robert sits on the floor cross legged with Brittany, Bobby, a toy contraption, and a water balloon.
Speaker 5: Hit boom.
Speaker 1: These home videos make me sad and remind me that, yes, this is a fascinating case. It's okay to admit that. But these people are real. We're real. If you like this show, please download our first two seasons, Missing in Alaska and Missing on nine to eleven for updates, visit meon thirty three dot com or follow me on Twitter at John waalzac J and w al Czak. Thanks for listening. April ninth, two thousand and one, seven something PM sup by Middle School Robert Fisher makes miss Honey feel uneasy. What a jerk here tonight and what should be a beaming moment of pride for his daughter, this sweet twelve year old girl, Robert says, essentially, meh, honor society, so what whatever?
Speaker 3: And that was partially why I sat there with her. I wanted her to feel that she had the support, you know, as an educator and just as a person. Liked that she wasn't alone. I felt like, you have a creepy dad, So I'm going to sit with you. I mean that. I don't mean to put it that way, but that was my thinking. You know, I'll see with you since you're alone.
Speaker 1: Here, Brittany seems to more and tired.
Speaker 3: She could sense something was going on with dad. Normally parents would be like, oh my gosh, I'm so proud of you, congratulations. And I think she sensed it because she wasn't her like excited, smiley self that I knew. I mean, she was smiling, but it was something was missing that night.
Speaker 1: Britney's hair is damp. She must have showered right before the ceremony. Miss Honey shakes Robert's hand, makes small talk, then steals Brittany away for a moment, and I.
Speaker 3: Remember telling her, I am really proud of you. I really really proud of you, you know, And even then, just because I could feel that he was not giving her that what a father would, and so I tried to tell her what a great job she's doing and that, you know, to keep it up.
Speaker 1: Kay Eberly also notices that Britney seems kind of down. Her handshake is quote very wimpy, which is out of character.
Speaker 10: I just got the weirdest feeling that something was not right with either one of them, with Brittany and with her dad, and I dismissed it as being they had a quarrel. I thought maybe she was upset because her mother wasn't there.
Speaker 1: It is abnormal that Mary isn't here. Instead, she and Bobby are two miles away at a hunting safety course at Scottsdale Baptist Church. It's unclear why Mary takes her son to a hunting class. Masculine, while Robert takes his daughter to a school event feminine. At least that's how Robert would see it. Around seven thirty PM, as the ceremony concludes, students light celebratory candles, then step off the stage. Teachers ask parents to wait five minutes so they can sign diplomas. Meanwhile, they say please enjoy the cake and juice. Brittany goes for a glass of punch. Robert doesn't join her. He doesn't even wait for her to get her diploma. He seems to be in a rush. Around seven thirty five PM, Robert and Brittany depart sup By Middle School. They drive two point three miles north, either directly in front of or very close to their church. They don't stop to see Mary and Bobby. Instead, they go to a nearby store. I'm at popular outdoor outfitters, or at least what used to be popular outdoor outfitters, is now an abandoned, vacant building. At some point, also in the last twenty years, it was an Errands. They have a we've moved sign in the window, and I'm pressing my face against the glass and looking inside. This is the last place that anyone saw Robert Fisher alive. It was an eighteen year old store clerk named Ian, and the evening of April ninth, two thousand and one, Robert and Britney Fisher came here to this exact spot directly after the National Junior Honor Society event at Super Middle School. Now they were here for fifteen minutes, twenty minutes, thirty minutes, and at seven to fifty five PM, Robert pays eighty nine forty eight for five items. A pump Pure microfilter, which is used by backpackers and hikers to filter water, a sixty four ounce water bottle, proof matches, and two packets of water purification tablets. He and Brittany leave this store this exact spot and presumably goes straight home. The eighteen year old cashier, Ian, who we've tried to talk to and I don't think he wants to speak to us because we've sent a letter and emailed and called Ian, is the last person to see Robert Fisher alive. Ian tells police that Robert and Brittany are in the store for about thirty minutes, but if they leave Sup by around seven thirty five, drive to the store and check out at seven fifty five. This can't be accurate. It's likelier. They're here for about fifteen minutes. At one point, Ian looks up to see Robert and Brittany staring at him, which makes him uncomfortable. Robert tells Ian he needs advice on water purification, saying he's going to draw water from a cattle hole and he's worried about viruses. Ian gets the impression that Robert is planning on camping for quite a long time and that he's leaving town for a while. Seven to fifty five pm. Robert swipes his credit card. He and Brittany exit the store. It's unclear if they stop anywhere else, but if they do, Robert doesn't use his credit card. At some point they return home eight thirty to nine pm. This is when the kids normally go to bed. Robert and Brittany are likely home by now, but Mary and Bobby are still at church studying how to properly handle guns. Nine thirty pm the hunting class ends. Beth Anderson, a Fisher family friend, is also at church tonight, teaching a course on financial responsibility. Beth and Mary speak briefly.
Speaker 6: I said, okay, we'll see you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: For a women's Bible group, and.
Speaker 6: She said, okay, so that's the last thing I said to her.
Speaker 1: Beth is likely the final person to see Mary and Bobby Fisher alive. She waves as they drive away in Mary's silver Toyota for Runner.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 1: Driving from the Fisher's home to their church, Scottsdale Baptist, it's about a point six mile or three minute four minute drive nine thirty to ten pm. This is when Mary and Robert normally go to bed around nine forty pm. Mary and Bobby get home from the hunting class around ten pm. A neighbor tells police that while taking out the trash, she hears a heated argument between Robert and Mary. Around ten thirty eight pm, Robert leaves the house. So we're driving leaving right now from the cul de Sac. It's a really pretty neighborhood, a lot of mid century ranches, the kind that working class stiffs could afford in the fifties or sixties, or even two thousand and one, but not today. These modest homes are now worth about seven hundred thousand dollars. Summer twenty twenty three. I'm on the ground now in Arizona for four months with our producer Chris. We rent a small house in Phoenix. We're lucky to have any shelter. It is literally the worst summer ever, the hottest summer in any major American city in recorded history. But as the meme goes, the coolest summer of the rest of our lives. Nearly one thousand people live downtown in a sprawling homeless encampment called the Zone. Phoenix hits at least one hundred and ten degrees fahrenheit for thirty one days in a row, shattering records. Decals and stickers jokingly feature a skeleton resting on a cactus. At least it's a dry heat. They say that dry heat helped kill four hundred and twenty five people in Maricopa County last year. Meanwhile, the Colorado River, the source of water for forty million people, is running dry. It's in this boiling, scalding, dry heat that Chris and I venture out to retrace Robert Fisher's final known steps. So we're at the intersection of mcdowellan seventy fourth. There is a Chase Bank here used to be a bank. One April ninth, two thousand and one ten forty two oh seven pm, Forty minutes after a neighbor hears Robert and Mary fighting. Robert is standing here at this ATM zero point six miles from his house. A security camera captures the final confirmed sighting of Robert. In grainy black and white footage, we see him wearing a long sleeved shirt with an RC COLA logo, tucked into cargo style pants, and in Oakland Raiders ball cap. He appears to be wearing boots. In the background, we see Mary Fisher's Forerunner, which is bizarre. Robert and Mary rarely drive each other's vehicles. If ever, Robert pulls out two hundred and eighty dollars the daily max ten forty three fifty four. Robert walks away from the ATM ten forty four three. Robert reaches the Forerunner. He seems to pause ten forty four twenty one. Robert gets into the fore Runner. He drives away. This is April ninth, two thousand and one, a normal day, school work and honor society ceremony, a hunting class, marital strife, a trip to an ATM. A normal day. The ATM footage is the final clue. The final time anyone sees Robert Fisher. The final time anyone sees Mary Fisher's forerunner, Untila Camper, finds it abandoned ten days later in a remote forest. I wish to God we had more witnesses, but sadly we don't. Next time on Missing an Arizona Except this is false. The timeline repeated by law enforcement in the media for twenty three years is incorrect. The timeline in which Robert Fisher possibly has a ten hour lead on police before his house explodes is not accurate. When I investigate these high profile stories, there's inevitably a point when I ask myself, why why am I doing this? This case has been investigated and reported repeatedly. What's the point. Well, this is why, because there are always new facts to find, and I found them. No, I haven't located Robert Fisher yet. For that I need your help. But I have found a ton of new information, including a new witness and a post atm sighting a new timeline. As we conclude, let me leave you with this from a home video dated February eighteenth, nineteen ninety four, Britney Fisher and her classmates stand on a stage in front of proud parents. Next time I'm missing in Arizona.
Speaker 9: What's going on?
Speaker 5: It's a big fire.
Speaker 8: Was generally big fires just like blew up?
Speaker 9: Okay, what's on fire?
Speaker 1: The whole house?
Speaker 8: Hello, whole house is burning up.
Speaker 1: You can reach us by phone at one eight three three new tips that's one eight three three six three nine eight four seven seven, by email at tips at iHeartMedia dot com, t I p s at iHeartMedia dot com, online at me on thirty three dot com, or on Twitter at John Waalzac j O n W A L c Z A K. Paul Ducan is our execus producer, Chris Brown is our supervising producer. Hannah Rose Snyder is our producer. Paul Gemperlin is our researcher. Ben Bollen is a consulting producer, and I'm your host and executive producer John Walzac. Special thanks to Matt Baugard and the Scottsdale Police Department, and a shout out to Max Schwartz, the first person to discover an Easter egg I hid in season two, Missing on nine to eleven Recreations, voiced by Max Williams and Paul Deckin. Cover art by Pam Peacock. Neon thirty three logo designed by Derek Rudy. Our intro song is Utopia by Ruby Cube. Please download the first two seasons of our show, Missing in Alaska and Missing on nine to eleven, and if you're so inclined, give us a five star rating. Missing in Arizona is a co production of iHeartRadio and Neon thirty three