Speaker 1: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Warth and today we're joined by cal Brodie Randall, Carrine, Colin Mackenzie and Brad Leone. Brad, this is your first time on the show. How do you feel about your chances at winning Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 3: It's probably not very high, Okay, not the best trivia person. I feel like you guys got a lot more experience under your belt. Maybe do you guys have like repetitive questions here?
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's basically you.
Speaker 1: Guys might know the answers already.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, these are all new questions. What would you say, like a trivia strength and a trivia weakness is for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't really have any strengths.
Speaker 2: And okay, dude, you have.
Speaker 5: I can tell you his weakness. He told us yesterday he doesn't remember the names or words for anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I forgot that guy's name yesterday. I felt so bad.
Speaker 2: Oh what was the guy? Let's make you feel bad.
Speaker 1: I don't remember his name, but it was like he came in like a second time. I was.
Speaker 3: I shook his hands like nice to meet you. He's like, I met you two hours ago. Oh no, I felt dug.
Speaker 4: His grave even deeper. He's like, were you wearing something different?
Speaker 2: No, great for you, before asking if they were wearing something different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, some guy came in and he was wearing like a snow outfit. I thought that was him. I thought he had glasses on. Maybe he took him off.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Now, in a few weeks, Brad is gonna be on an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. And yesterday you were messing around with Cal and our Meat Eater kitchen. What were you guys working on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were messing around, all right, we're wrenching Spencer.
Speaker 1: We were wrenching with some mystery meat. It was a real whirlwind of of happy accidents. Oh, we were gonna make bear chili.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But the bear turned out to be a beaver. And how does that happen? Yes, question, I was wondering the same thing.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you how it happens. It was poorly wrapped. It wasn't wrapped at all. It was just shoved in a bag. It looked like a murder.
Speaker 1: Scene and it had no labeling, no date, no label.
Speaker 4: It was a bag full of frost and.
Speaker 1: Blood and dirt and pine needles, and it was real.
Speaker 5: It was his trapping bait.
Speaker 1: This It was like someone did a real fourth quarter. I don't have time for this right now. Let me just shove it in the freezer. Yeah, and we ate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what point the process? At what point the process did you learn it was beaver and not bear.
Speaker 4: When we finally got it thought out yesterday morning, and I didn't. I thought it looked like a busted femur. And I was like, maybe Randall whacked his bear a second time. And you know, he was using a three thirty eight rpm big bullet travels real fast, so I was like, oh, it's a broken bone, like top of a tibia or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it was sounding more and more like trapping bait because I've seen Steve chotting those things up with a hand, two little little beaver thighs.
Speaker 6: If it was in that back freezer on the right by the door, it was definitely trapping bait.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I would didn't say that on on camera because I was like, no.
Speaker 1: Matter what, I feel a lot better about that.
Speaker 3: Not that we ate it, but like that's that's how someone treated it, because I was I was judging kind of should I did not expect this kind of trash.
Speaker 1: Freezer job from the meat eater crew.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a Slack message that came through at noon yesterday to the company. It said, if you're smelling something burning in your office, you're not having a stroke. Cal is burning some beaver in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Well, that was an inaccurate description of what was happening because we didn't burn anything, and what we did do is turn that beaver bait into a phenomenal dish.
Speaker 5: Smelled fantastic.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: My favorite Slack message from yesterday was if your dog has been wondering wandering around the office, please come up the piss on my carpet. Did I say that correctly? Please come clean up the piss from my carpet?
Speaker 2: Which which dog was it? Corinne, did you know?
Speaker 4: Okay, did you guys use the recipe from the new cookbook?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So that that was we use the turkey chili verde recipe?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: And then I got it. I just I'll come clean right now. Like another, Brad and I are the two worst people in the world to combine and like follow a recipely distracted. Oh yeah, plus like you just look and you're like, oh yeah, I got it, Like, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't understand at all, hardly can read.
Speaker 2: As we won't be seeing a cookbook from you.
Speaker 1: Not a second one anytime.
Speaker 3: I did one, and I still got a little PTSD from it.
Speaker 1: But uh no, I mean all jokes aside. I don't really cook for mesipes.
Speaker 3: I think they're fun inspiration and it's almost like you see the picture, you know, I've it's kind I've done it a thousand times.
Speaker 1: I don't really need to read it anymore. We tweaked a couple of things. It said, the strain something that seems a little unnecessary, But I'll tell you why. It came out real great, oh delicious.
Speaker 2: That video with cal and Brad will be out later this year on meat Eater's YouTube channel.
Speaker 6: Now, Brad, this is actually be it'll be out on May.
Speaker 4: Quick called Wrench Them with Calm Brad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we even played a little ping pong.
Speaker 4: Yeah we're shopping that that title around because it can mean anything.
Speaker 2: Right, A lot going on in the med Eater kitchen yesterday.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, Brad, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. And because this episode is brought to you by Athletic Brewing, they're matching our five hundred dollars donation as well as sponsoring a moneyball question of the week. Thanks to Athletic Brewing, today's game has the potential for a fifteen hundred dollars conservation donation. Now we've got a lot of request Randall to knock it off with the slurping in the mic.
Speaker 5: I saw those requests.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we are Randall Fleeds the comun.
Speaker 2: Now for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at player performance in tie breakers. The highest overtime win percentage belongs to Steve, who has won sixty percent of the tie breaking rounds he's been part of. That's followed by Giannis at fifty percent, Brody at forty two percent, Randall at twenty five percent, and Cal at zero percent. Thank you, Brad, Cal. What do you think it is that happens in overtime. You're zero for five lifetime the overtime round. They're a numerical question. What do you think happens there that you just don't win any of those?
Speaker 4: It's a numerical question, Okay. I like, I remember the very first round of trivia. It was down to Brody and I and I felt very confident and then I literally just remember that that was how long is the gestation?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, yeah, no problem. And then I was like, oh, I just can't do math.
Speaker 5: Okay, how many tiebreaker rounds have we played?
Speaker 2: I can't tell you off top of my head. It's been like twenty five ish. I think it's about a quarter of our games and in a tie break. But we're on kind of a drought right now. We haven't had a tiebreaker in a little bit. Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Phil Owen wants to know. I've always wondered what the logistical side of things look like for scheduling trivia. I can sort of imagine how it goes down. I picture there's a company Why channel in Slack and someone posts to it something like recording tribut today at one pm in the podcast studio, we have room for two more. What's it really like? Well, I make it a priority to have our trivia heavy hitters on, cal Randall Brody, Steve Jannis. Sometimes I try to piggyback off a regular episode of a Meet Eater if there's a guest here I'm really excited about, like Brad Leoni, We'll move heaven and earth to make that happen, even if it means Steve can't be here. Brad, we only a few times in the history of med Eater Trivia had a guest on without Steve being here. I think you're the second time now. So we try to get the guests on if we're excited about them. I'll send out calendar invites. Usually get some rejections. For today's episode, to get seven people here, I had to invite twelve players. It's a Friday, it's Turkey season, so we got a lot of rejections. But you know who's never turned down an invite filled the engineer. Every time I send out a trivia engine invite. Phil is here. He's like usps man rain sleeper snow. He'll make it to trivia.
Speaker 8: It's kind of my job. I don't really have a choice on these snows in the room.
Speaker 2: You could, Phil, there was even the vacation week you came in. Anyway, you made it happen.
Speaker 5: That's right, You're right.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna start sticking up for myself, Spencer with Phil, Can I walk out right now?
Speaker 1: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: You've earned it?
Speaker 5: I'd say I haven't turned down one either. I've in fact invited myself to several games that I've heard about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get I'll get an email from Randall if he gets word of a trivia game happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm wasn't involved with There is one when I accused you of leaving me out and he said, I just haven't sent the invitation. It'll be forthcoming in three or four minutes.
Speaker 2: Here we are now for the housekeeping this week. We'd like to let you know that the Meat Eater trivia board game is back in stock. We sold out of it within five weeks back in twenty twenty three, but we just got another run of them in the Meat Eater store. The game is twenty five dollars and is nineteen reviews for an average of four point eight four stars. These won't last long, though, so get your copy of the Only board game where conservation Always wins at store dot com, the meadeater dot com, now the Shelby indexpert. Today's round is a four point five, so our winner should get nine correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 5: How's that?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 4: Game on Suckers.
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is biology, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these animals is not native to Florida? Is it bison, flamingo, cayman, or crappy? Brad? If you need to see the question again, it's on the screen behind you. Which of these animals is not native to Florida? Bison, flamingo, cayman, or crop? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Like it? Yeah? It does? It seems like the obvious one, isn't it. Yeah, but I'm kinda have to stick with the obvious.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brad, I don't want to offend you, but you kind of look like a Florida man today.
Speaker 1: Anyone ever told you you're not wrong?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: I look like I could be possibly roofing your house in Florida.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it. That a T shirt sleever, is it like a neck gate? It's like a net gator that I kind of wear. Is like a head thing.
Speaker 2: Love it. But I bet you wore T shirt sleeves on your head back in the day.
Speaker 3: Right, No, No, I've tied a couple of T shirts on my head, but not a sleep I didn't know. I've never even thought of that.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad back in the day.
Speaker 2: Here's another fashion question for you. Have you ever cut the sleeves off of hoodie? Brad? This is like the that as soon as you walk in perfect springtime garment, like a real belichick of you.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 2: He inspired me to do it. I figure if Bill does it, it can't be wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't stick to that, which you might get caught camera get canceled there by.
Speaker 2: Which of these animals is not native to Florida? Bison, flamingo, cayman or croppy? Is everybody ready? Wait a minute, got Brody making a last second change? Bison, flamingo, Cayman Croppy.
Speaker 7: Something just happened over in this corner because both wowe.
Speaker 2: It seems like three of them are native to Florida. One of them is not. Is everybody ready A way?
Speaker 1: Is a bison from Florida?
Speaker 2: Okay, Brad is telling us his answer before.
Speaker 1: You're gonna want to write that a little bigger?
Speaker 4: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: No making last second change, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have cal saying Cayman. Corrienn crossed out bison.
Speaker 4: Crapy held it wrong, even though it's up on the board.
Speaker 2: Randall says Cayman. Mackenzie says flamingo. Colin says came in. He crossed out flamingo. Brody says Cayman. He crossed out flamingo. Brad says Cayman, the correct dance. He crossed out bison. The correct answer is Cayman. The room did very well. Bison are native to northern Florida, Flamingos are native to southern Florida, and crappy are native statewide. Although came in are found in the southern and eastern part of Florida, they're actually native to South America and Central America came in are considered one of the state's worst invaders because of how they outcompete native alligators and crocodiles. Question two, The topic is cooking. A cable network with cooking content is named after this tree, which has flowers that taste like ginger and jasmine.
Speaker 1: Easy one.
Speaker 2: Brad says, this is an easy one. The topic is cooking. A cable network with cooking content is named after this tree, which has flowers that taste like ginger jasmine.
Speaker 8: Who else cable anymore?
Speaker 2: We can we can talk about that after bread. It is, in fact a cable network. Cable network with cooking content is named after this tree, which has flowers that taste like ginger and jasmine. We have Brad who is very confident. Krinn thinks she knows that Cal has not picked up his board quite yet. What he got?
Speaker 5: Randalls, I think I have the answer, but I I would have never called it a cable network.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, like a show a network?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the place with Steve today?
Speaker 9: Uh huh, you know people do people make tea or Regular's.
Speaker 2: Not going to give you any hints, karenn Now what are we doing? Yeah, we can talk about it.
Speaker 1: After friend too.
Speaker 5: You were I'll point out you you were were engaging in a lot of verbal thought on the previous question.
Speaker 3: So he's trying to immediately and now listen, I'm doing good here.
Speaker 2: Colin, you have this one right, No chance? Okay. He also wants to shut down the.
Speaker 4: Hinting named after this tree.
Speaker 2: A cable network with cooking content is named after this tree, which has flowers that taste like ginger and jasmine. What do you got, Mackenzie?
Speaker 7: I don't like the notebooks because I can't. You guys still have to see my answers that I got wrong.
Speaker 2: You can just cross them out. We have whiteboards here in the mediator studios.
Speaker 4: So subjective to one's palette. I think it should be thrown out.
Speaker 2: Nope, we're accurate. Question.
Speaker 4: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying magnolia, Karen saying magnolia, Randall the same answer, Mackenzie with the same answer, Colin without an answer, Brody with no answer. You're just not gonna show us your answer. No, I don't know answer, Brad saying magnolia. They got it. The correct answer is magnolia. The Magnolia Network was originally called the DIY Network, but was rebranded in twenty twenty two when Chip and Joanna Gaines left HGTV to go to Discovery. Magnolia flowers can be eaten, fresh, fried, dried, or pickled. To learn how to pickle him, go to Bradleyoni's YouTube channel and watch his video called Pickled Magnolia Pedals on Fresh Sushi. They identify as a cable network and satellite network and I think streaming service as well, so on their own website they call themselves a cable network. Brad, do you cook with Magnolia pedals a lot? Or was that rarity?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: I mean I have one in my yard, so it's just something that I'm on the fool around. It's a beautiful flower. When you put it in the vinegar, it it does it kind of really tastes like and even looks like when you go to like a like a sushi takeout place and they have that little pickled.
Speaker 1: Ginger little thing. It's very very similar, great in a cocktail.
Speaker 3: And then if you squeeze the the pedal that you pickle, this like really vibrant, almost like Col's little book there.
Speaker 1: This brilliant vinegar comes.
Speaker 2: Out and they pickle very quickly.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, a couple of days, not even day. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question three, the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via Jay Rizzo. Located in Grand Teton, this mountain town's airport is the only commercial airport that's inside of a national park. His question three, The topic is conservation. Located in Grand Teton, this mountain town's airport is the only commercial airport that's inside of a national park.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be a real buzzkill. Here is a terrible question. Oh why is that?
Speaker 1: Cal?
Speaker 4: I'm ready to do some arguing with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a conservation public lands question.
Speaker 5: It's one of the great anomalies of our national park system. I think it's ripe for trivia.
Speaker 2: The only.
Speaker 4: You want the name of the town, tell me the town, private jet traffic?
Speaker 1: Cal?
Speaker 2: Is it all related to conservation?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 5: Though I was working.
Speaker 1: In this area, and I remember when it was it was.
Speaker 5: It would have been when Clinton was running and it was a big deal because he flew into this airport. Oh really, mm hmmm mmmm.
Speaker 4: Interesting one like one of the smaller airports. Air Force one is ever, probably.
Speaker 2: Located in Grand Teta on this mountain. Town's airport is the only commercial airport that's inside of a national park. Despite what Cal says, this is a great question, Jay Rizzo, We appreciate you writing in.
Speaker 5: Oh, I thought.
Speaker 4: It was the Riza and then I was excited.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't wait to see people's answer.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying Jackson hole, Karin saying Jackson Hole, Randall says Jackson Wyoming, Mackenzie says Jackson hole, Colin says Jackson, Brody says Jackson, Brad says Jackson Jackson hole. Ain't We're gonna give it to you if you had Jackson, because I believe it's jack it's the Jackson Hole Airport. We'll give it to you if you said Jackson hole. I want to point out that Karin crossed off what the hole? Oh okay, she got it extra right there. Grant Teton National Park was established in the nineteen twenties and the Jackson Hole Airport was built in the nineteen thirties. Initially, the airport wasn't part of the park, but when the Grand Tetons expanded in the nineteen fifties, the airstrip got swallowed up by the Department of the Interior. Today, the airport serves as a popular mating ground for sage grouse, even though it's the busiest air strip in all of Wyoming.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Cal another ingredient for why that's a good conservation question. I believe there is.
Speaker 5: I believe there is some controversy about whether or not to allow jet traffic in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's been a battle for a while and they just gave up. And like I said, it's the busiest airport now and all of Wyoming.
Speaker 4: Question four, they're like, but look at the money coming out.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Joshua Wallace. Fishing organizations often promote the practice of CPR, which stands for what is question four? Fishing organizations often promote the practice of CPR, which stands for what. Brad has a perfect game going so far, but he doesn't look as confident on this one.
Speaker 1: No, I'm really gonna We're gonna need a miracle here.
Speaker 2: But what does CPR stand for? Practice that? Fishing organizations often promote Brody has this one right. He appears to have thrown his notebook down with some confidence.
Speaker 9: He also seems pissed.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, he's not happy about the Jacksonville they call jackson They call it the Jackson Hole Airport. I'll give it to you. If you said jackson Hole, you said what I did, say what Mountain Town I did. I'm gonna be a little lenient today.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for Brad here because his nickname is Brad is commercial Carl on the water, and I don't think this acronym really fat commercial.
Speaker 2: There's a hint for Brad, cal is offered up. Fishing organizations often promote the practice of c p R, which stands for what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Carl's definitely banned from these organizations.
Speaker 2: Again, Brodie is the only one who appears to be confident. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: We are using notebooks today, the whiteboards we normally use. Got to what fish organization you're talking about? You think there's organizations that have a different definition of CPR. Maybe maybe Brad will make one, all.
Speaker 1: Right, seems like a real I don't know, I might made mine up. We'll see if kids, if it's not it.
Speaker 2: It should be. Is everybody ready? No, what do you got there? Randall? I mean, yeah, right, gotta be, gotta be okay. Brody likes Brad's answer.
Speaker 5: Randall, I just think they probably also promote the practice of normal CPR. So I'm wondering if there's a loophole.
Speaker 2: There if you want to try to write down because I looked up what the normal CPR is like, if you know, we need to give it to Cal over here for if you want to write down that one. No, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Kidding, not gonna get you like I'm out of shape.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, just giveing an example if we had to do CPR. That's a hard accrodent. I think that's my.
Speaker 4: Blood pressure against anybody in this room.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying cut, put release, Corinn without an answer. Randall says, catch photography, photograph, photogra relief. Mackenzie says concern protect return, Colin says catch photography, release, Brody says catch photo release, Brad says catch picture release.
Speaker 4: Wow, the correct.
Speaker 2: Answer is photo or picture or photography and release. So about half of you take that.
Speaker 5: Right, pulmonary resuscitation.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: I believe that's what the real CPR I saw.
Speaker 4: It would be like cut the line if the hook's too deep.
Speaker 2: CPR has become especially popular in the bass, trout and tournament fishing communities. Tournaments that you CPR will have the angler take a picture of the fish on an approved measuring board with the fish's value being placed on length instead of weight.
Speaker 3: We used to do a tournament to tournament with belly support and wet hands.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, they'll say CPR. I feel like that's that's quite common, Like I said in the bass and trout communities.
Speaker 4: Question five, that's a good question, Spencer.
Speaker 2: Way to go, Thank you, Thank you, Brad. Question five. The topic is hunting. This is the Athletic Brewing money Ball question of the week. For every correct answer provided, Athletic Brewing is going to make a one hundred dollars donation that's capped at five hundred dollars. This week, Athletic Brewing is giving to the National Wild Turkey Federation. Here is your moneyball question. This company, which used to be named Maltoid, has the best selling dog treat at Amazon, Target and Chewy.
Speaker 9: What what how is this?
Speaker 2: The topic is hunting. This is all of our hunting dog owners. This company, which used to be named Maltoid, has the best selling dog treat at Amazon, Target and Chewy. Brody is confident in so confident. Okay, Brody's got this one right. He's quite sure of it. Randall has not joined him with an answer. They're the only ones.
Speaker 4: Oh and were you like around when they made the company name change?
Speaker 5: Does that?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: If you're just going with like the most popular.
Speaker 2: Thing, Brody's not going to give you any hints. Again, it's uh this company which.
Speaker 4: For sticking little hints in the question.
Speaker 2: This company, which used to be named Maltoid has the best selling dog treat and Amazon, Target and Chewy. Reminder, this is our athletic brewing moneyball question. So for every correct answer, provided they're donating one hundred dollars to n W t F.
Speaker 4: You know what I get for dog treats? Those if you go to the what's the new grocery store that don't doesn't take credit cards? That one is pretty sweet.
Speaker 5: Wink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go to wincot and you get that giant thing of cheese puffs. There's there's like no calories, the.
Speaker 5: Ball and the big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not the answer.
Speaker 2: Also, didn't know that they don't take credit cards. They take debit cards. So strange.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, that's how Costco used to be sketchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's dragged an entire dead buck out.
Speaker 2: Of the gallat and the other day.
Speaker 4: One they have good antlers.
Speaker 2: On it, just like, Brad, do you own any dogs?
Speaker 1: No? Not yet?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think me and you were the only non dog owners in here.
Speaker 1: Terrible, No, this was this, This question is not good for me here.
Speaker 2: This company, which used to be named Maltoyd has the best selling dog treat at Amazon, Target and Chewy. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Philly engineer after this.
Speaker 9: You get a half a point for getting the treat right.
Speaker 2: No, it's everybody ready, That's.
Speaker 9: What I'm wondering. I think I know the treat, but I don't know if I know this.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: It's we're looking for it, says this company ever to be named Maltoid. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. With cal saying milk bone Coaren is saying.
Speaker 5: Net bone Rand Papperoni.
Speaker 2: But Randall sang milk bone. Mackenzie sang milk bone, Colin sang milk bone. Brody says milk bone. Brad without an answer. The correct answer is milk bone. Five of you got that right. That means Athletic Brewing is making an extra five hundred dollars donation the NWTF and I.
Speaker 4: Just got me the we're even Steven Brad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Milk Bone was created by New York City's F. H. Bennett Biscuit Company in nineteen oh eight. It started out as a small bakery in the Lower east Side and grew to a two hundred person factory in Buffalo, New York. The company has since been acquired by Nabisco, Del Monte Foods and most recently Smuckers.
Speaker 4: And the small bakery was like, man, you know dogs love this.
Speaker 3: Do you want to hear a kind of a a little bit of an odd story about it? So I should have known this answer. I used to when I was younger, my neighbors across the street when they went.
Speaker 1: Away, I would watch their dogs and they had like a big box of milk bones, and they oddly smell like Graham crackers. And I may or may not have nibbled on one. Okay, I'm just tasted. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And can you recommend them.
Speaker 1: Way better than the little carboard A little dry ingredient list, little sketch, but definitely a little bit you could you could see the Nibisco influence.
Speaker 2: Now only by smuckers.
Speaker 7: All kids eat a little bit of dog dog trees for sure, remember doing that.
Speaker 6: We have a box of them upstairs.
Speaker 1: I just want to smell.
Speaker 2: Reward an extra point if you eat a milk bow in forest today, Fell we're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: It's pretty close game today. Corinn, you were in last place with two points. Mackenzie's up next to three, and then we've got a four way tie for second place. Colin, Brody, Cal and Brad all have four points in a first place with a perfect game. It's Doc tor Randall Williams.
Speaker 5: Thanks Phil.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Question six. The topic is woodsmanship. This next great question is via C. Jay Emerson. Merriam Webster defines this two word term as quote a region of reduced rainfall on the lee side of high mountains.
Speaker 9: Stop writing so fast?
Speaker 1: What was the category?
Speaker 2: This is woodsmanship? Merriam Webster defines this two word term as quote a region of reduced rainfall on the lee side of high mountains. Mackenzie did not appreciate how Cockley Randall wrote his answer.
Speaker 5: I don't think I wrote it Cockley at all.
Speaker 1: What's what's the lee side of a mountain?
Speaker 4: I know I'm getting that's that's I'm trying to remember the two word for the windward side.
Speaker 2: Does anybody want to tell him about the lee side of a hot of high mountains?
Speaker 1: Now, okay, my scoreboard is just gonna plummet. I feel in the second half of this game.
Speaker 2: A lot of game left. Randall thinks he's got the perfect game still going on question six year for the two word term that's a region of reduced rainfall on the least side of high mountain.
Speaker 4: Do we know statistically where doctor Randall's weaknesses I could category.
Speaker 2: I would guess it is fishing. I can't confirm that, Dorranda, what would you say? Which of the four verticals?
Speaker 5: Uh, I know conservation is the best. I would guess fishing.
Speaker 2: Perhaps we've got a fishing question saying about that whopper popper in this round. If the fishing especially is on the east side of the Missouri River. Maybe that's that's specifically his weakness.
Speaker 4: You know what I'd get reminded of all the time. My work bench, my garage, I have a bunch of salvaged fishing lures from dive in fresh water, and one of which is a giant Daredevil and it hangs on my work work banch. Show me how John with You know, it's like a big pipe and it hangs with the underside facing me, so it reads the Daredevil brands right there. And that's one of the fishing ones that has haunted me because I missed.
Speaker 5: It and you'll never You'll never misspell it.
Speaker 4: Devil is spelled wrong because the people who founded the company didn't want to hurt Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't want to offend the religious anglers. That was a trivia question probably a year or two ago.
Speaker 5: But they were really hung up on the name Daredevil.
Speaker 2: That that was the most complimentary Cal had ever been of a question. He said he really liked it. It was like very Americana, and he brought it up a few years later. Cal liked that one. Does everyone have an answer?
Speaker 4: Makes me real self conscious that Spencer's paying this close attention of me being nice. Wrote it in my diary.
Speaker 5: A short checklist. It's one of those notebooks that fits in your pocket.
Speaker 2: A region of reduced rainfall on the lea side of high minds. Is everybody ready, Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying rain shadow Corin without an answer. Randall says rain shadow Mackenzie without an answer, say I got no answer for Colin. We have Brody, who says alpine desert from the Brad who says, I got nothing. The correct answer is rain shadow. That means Cal and Randall got it right. According to National Geographic a rain shadow region often turns to desert because there isn't enough precipitation there to support plant growth. Some real world examples of this are the Great Basin Desert that has a rain shadow from the Sierra Nevadas and Asheville, North Carolina, that has a rain shadow from the Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains. Question seven, the topic is cooking. Jimmy Buffett says he wants this semi soft cheese with an orange rind on his cheeseburger in Paradise.
Speaker 1: I hate Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 2: You hate him i'd peg you as a regular old parrot head.
Speaker 9: You look like you.
Speaker 2: And a dead head. It's a dead parrot head.
Speaker 5: I you look like a pirate.
Speaker 1: I am. I dressed like a senior citizen pirate. I got.
Speaker 3: I got shoes in the laces, elastic waistband, got a sock, I got a book sock on my head.
Speaker 2: So not not a parrot head. But are you a dead head?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would definitely got come.
Speaker 3: Those are certainly more of my people than i'd gone dead parrot head tires.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Buffett says he wants this semi soft cheese with an orange rind on his cheeseburger in Paradise.
Speaker 1: Orange cheese, orange, It's right.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Buffett says he wants this semi soft cheese with an orange grind on his cheeseburger in Paradise.
Speaker 7: The song is so easy to get stuck in your head, But when you actually need to remember.
Speaker 1: How's that song going? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Potato you go, cal is walking you up to the answer.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've ever heard the song.
Speaker 9: You heard it?
Speaker 5: He just says, cheese burger, and rhythmically.
Speaker 2: I've given you another hint in the question. It says it's a semi soft cheese with an orange rind, and it's what Jimmy Buffett wants on his cheeseburger in Paradise. So you've got two opportunities there to find the answer in this question.
Speaker 5: I just picked something that would make a fun song lyric, just just a word that sounds okay.
Speaker 2: Is it a semi soft cheese with an orange rind? I think so okay. Jimmy Buffett says he wants to soft cheese with an orange rind on his cheeseburger in Paradise.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't we say?
Speaker 4: He used to say he did.
Speaker 3: If my answer is correct, I'm not sure it's actually a orange.
Speaker 2: We'll play a song for you after we revealed.
Speaker 1: Red and yellow.
Speaker 9: I guess, like I said, an essential audio a little.
Speaker 5: Is the superfluous audio that you mentioned?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure it's a rind either. It's more of a yea.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have cow sang Monster.
Speaker 1: Well doesn't have an orange yellow.
Speaker 2: Randall, says Guda. Mackenzie says Guda, Colin says, Swiss Brody says it says Monster. The correct answer is monster. A few of you, I will google it right now. Everyone says it's a semi soft cheese and has an orange or red rind.
Speaker 1: But it's not wrong. Great burger cheese wonderfully.
Speaker 2: This lyric is one of the most scrutinized in Buffett's history because some listeners think he says mustard instead of monster, but journalist Ken Hoffman set the record straight when he interviewed in the late nineteen seventies. Hoffman asked Buffett, quote, who puts mustard on a hamburger? Buffett responded, not me. Why would you even ask me that? Uff Hoffman told Buffett it's because in the song he sings, quote medium rare with mustard be nice. That's when Buffett corrected him, saying the lyrics are monster, not mustard. Played the song Phil, Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, had it ruined my day with this?
Speaker 1: I don't know what skipping?
Speaker 8: Sorry, guys, double the extras.
Speaker 4: Next time we do karaoke. I want Phil to sing though, Oh could raise that?
Speaker 9: Dad?
Speaker 4: It margerite holiday, dude.
Speaker 1: We were Buffett.
Speaker 4: Family growing up. Yeah, all the ants and uncles, Yeah, nonstops.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm like a closet buffet guy.
Speaker 10: Can I Oh, I like the little backup where it was medium rare with monster.
Speaker 1: Mustard don't sound bad here.
Speaker 4: Ain't go live.
Speaker 9: Of a deal to put mustard on a burger though, like I've done that. Yeah, I feel like that's normal.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you put it in a song lyric, then it seems like you're like very passionate that mustard should be on a cheeseburger. But it's it's no weirder than monster you write, Mackenzie, It's.
Speaker 5: No weirder than writing a song about a cheeseburger, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And printing gold gold records off of it.
Speaker 3: Did you know there was actually I don't know which university, but there was like a college course to study like the philosophy behind what was that other big song you had that like Margariteville, Yeah, something stupid thing like that, And it was like a whole college credited course where you like studied like the like the deep meaning and like philosophical application to life from it.
Speaker 1: And it's just wow.
Speaker 4: But then you zoom out and you're like, oh, the merch sales and the fact that he's got like planned retirement communities based around parrot heeads retiring like there was a deep philosophical meaning.
Speaker 1: It's called money.
Speaker 5: Money.
Speaker 2: We are on to question eight, damn. The topic is wildlife. This African animal that escaped a trailer in Washington last week became a social media darling while on the run for six days.
Speaker 4: Washington State, Washington State.
Speaker 2: This African animal that escaped a trailer in Washington last week became a social media darling while on the run for six days.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, he's becoming just like so common. That is not that big of a news.
Speaker 5: I guided a guy who lived in Louisiana and he previously operated a hunting operation in Africa, and he had a small menagerie at his house, and he talked about the time that his ostriches got away. And then weeks later he saw an Ostrich on the news and I'll always remember him saying, that was my damn Ostrich.
Speaker 4: Did he get it back? No, probably didn't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't think get meant that much to him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: One time Jimmy Buffett let Bono borrow his private plane and they were flying over Jamaica and the Jamaican government didn't didn't know what they were, so they shot at it. No way, Yeah, I got like several bowl of holes in it before they were able to contact YouTube.
Speaker 4: Plane bono was.
Speaker 3: Jamaicans, you gotta aim better, you gotta leave the plane a little anyway.
Speaker 8: It led to Jimmy Buffett writing the Jamaica me crazy. Wait no that's not no, no, no Jamaica mistake of that's way better, so much more interesting.
Speaker 1: God, that would have been the best thing to happen.
Speaker 2: This is question ate. This African animal that escaped a trailer in Washington last week became a social media darling while on the run for six days. Now Corinne tasting table they say that monster cheese is white with a red orange rind. You still don't think it has a rind, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a wash.
Speaker 7: It's like that very thin.
Speaker 2: Now Cook's Info says it's.
Speaker 1: A washed rind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I call that the rind the outside part. It's like it's not the inside that paper thin.
Speaker 8: When you say trailer, what do you mean by trailer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a trailer.
Speaker 1: What's coat trailer?
Speaker 4: To give you any hints some of us in Fifth Wheel.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give you any more hints about this African animal that escaped a trailer in Washington last week and became a social media darling while on the run.
Speaker 4: People for the Way I live type of sound bite?
Speaker 5: Is that what you're saying, darling?
Speaker 1: So it's got to be kind of cute and people like rooting for it.
Speaker 9: An African animal child enough to be on the run for six to.
Speaker 1: Be a problem. It's not a monkey.
Speaker 4: Shot that thing.
Speaker 9: It's not a giraffe because they can't fit in trailers.
Speaker 1: It might be a giraft because people really like them.
Speaker 9: They're not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, we're going to hit things with their head and ship. Don't sleep on the giraffe.
Speaker 9: Did it kill any domestic.
Speaker 2: We're not going to tell you anymore.
Speaker 1: I think it's a giraffe. Now got my head. They can't they can they get them here, break your neck?
Speaker 4: They just maybe they ran you strap giraffe eggs.
Speaker 5: They bring him over here as babies.
Speaker 1: Okay, smart with me, doctor, they steal them in they're babies. You're right?
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer for the African animal that was on the run for six days came a social media zar.
Speaker 9: I can't say it and then not write it down tonight.
Speaker 2: Do you have an answer Brad wonder, is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying zebra, says elephant. Randall says zebra.
Speaker 1: It was a fucking zebra.
Speaker 2: Mackenzie says giraffe, Colin says little hippo it was.
Speaker 1: It was a little story.
Speaker 2: Brody says chimpanze and Brad says, what's that scond Elephant says elephant. The correct answer is zebra. Cal and Randall that one that was in Montana.
Speaker 1: Sugar.
Speaker 2: The zebra was being transported from Washington to Montana when it escaped along a ninety The mayor was on the run for six days before it was captured near the Boxley Creek Natural area. While on the lamb, it was caught on trail cameras and seen by hikers. Sugar has since been taken to its new home in Montana, where it'll live in a petting zoo for Sugar. I don't know what petting zoo it went to, but they catch it. But you're right, well, they were putting out the food stations for it, and they described it as a rescue. But like Twitter and the rest of social media was like no, they were like that wasn't a rescue at all that they wanted to be there. Yeah, so Sugar.
Speaker 5: But it didn't know was going to a petting zoo.
Speaker 4: Right, if only it did, it could have gone to a barbecue.
Speaker 2: And then folks were showing up to try to see it and thus scared it more so.
Speaker 4: Sugar lasted sex days.
Speaker 2: It escaped from a trailer. The person who was transporting it pulled over on the side of the interstate on an exit. They were adjusting I think the the trailer door and four z break and they all came back except for Sugar.
Speaker 4: Sugar, Sugar, Where were they tremendous screw up?
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, that guy, that guy messed up big time. He should get his Where were they going to?
Speaker 2: Montana? And I've heard they've now made it here, so Sugar is now at her They were in route to to the petting zoo.
Speaker 1: Oh so he doesn't want to be They should have after like day three, it all right. Then it just goes a mountain lion or something.
Speaker 2: Bill, we have two questions left. Give us a leader board update.
Speaker 8: Corrin, Mackenzie and Colin. You're too far behind to catch up for the victory.
Speaker 4: But we've got.
Speaker 8: Brody Henderson, Bradleyoni and Randall Williams. Nope, sorry, take that back rewind and it's been a long life tour. Brody and Brad you have five points. You can still technically catch up. If Randall and cow slip up. They're tied up with seven points in first place.
Speaker 1: Cal has seven. Is this potentially cows first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a big, big change there. On the monster question killer over in the court the monster gimme. People will call it question.
Speaker 5: Nine, Great Munster Gimme of twenty four.
Speaker 2: Question nine. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Colin Martin for sending this great question. Colin is going excuse me, Colton. Colton is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the Week like Colton, then send your question to trivia at the meat eater dot com. The topic is fishing. Name two of the three states with the most lakes?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, the most lakes.
Speaker 2: The most lakes. Name two of the three states with the most lakes. You need two answers here. If you put three, you'll be wrong. If you put one, you'll be wrong. Give me two answers.
Speaker 1: Of course it's a big one.
Speaker 2: What three states have the most lakes? Brody, first one to put his whiteboard down. You think you have this one, right, Brody?
Speaker 4: I think I got a very good chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, Karen, how do you feel about this one? Maybe name two of the three states with the most lakes? This is question nine?
Speaker 1: Can you not look at a map?
Speaker 2: Not gonna not gonna let you look at a map. Someday they'll probably be one up in here that would help folks out, But as of now, I'm just gonna have to picture. Different states have different definitions for I was wondering that sucks two of the three states.
Speaker 1: Aren't they all just.
Speaker 4: Big impoundment reservoir pond?
Speaker 9: I never heard of the first one?
Speaker 4: Impoundment impoundment?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 4: It's a lot of syllables.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, ready, Kenzy, Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying Wisconsin, Minnesota, Karen says New York, and Michigan, Maine. Randall says Minnesota, and Alaska. Mackenzie says Minnesota and Michigan. Colin says Minnesota, Wisconsin, bro aout Alaska, Brody says Alaska, Minnesota, Brad says Minnesota, and Maine. The three states with the most lakes are Alaska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
Speaker 9: Most of you, those other two are the one, right.
Speaker 1: Maine's got to be a close fourth. Man.
Speaker 2: Alaska has the country at three million. That's that's followed by Wisconsin at fifteen thousand and Minnesota at twelve thousand. The other states in the top ten are Michigan, Washington, New York, Florida, Texas, Maine, and California.
Speaker 4: May Or Spencer, you want to know the thing that I got over, doctor Randa Williams, I do. Look at him right now, and look at me. Colin is a cucumber. And to see the color and Randall's face, he's got nervous eyes, right.
Speaker 5: That is like, yeah, physiologically.
Speaker 4: Live for it.
Speaker 5: Well, then why do you so many tie breakers?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 4: Why do you numbers?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Alright, all right, that was question nine. Here's a rede the temperature in the room a little bit. Here's a review of the correct answers so far for our listeners at home. One was Cayman two, Magnolia three, Jackson Wyoming four, Catch Picture Release five, Milk Bone six, rain Shadow, seven, Monster, eight, Zebra, and number nine Alaska, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Phil.
Speaker 2: Before we do question ten, give us a final leader board update.
Speaker 4: It's down to Randall and Cow.
Speaker 8: They've both got eight points.
Speaker 2: Here is question ten.
Speaker 5: That's really nice.
Speaker 2: There was a few listener requests because they'd lose track of how many correct answers they had, so we'll try to do that going forward. Here's question ten. The topic is hunting. This bird with two colors in its name was the second most harvested duck in America in twenty twenty two. This bird with two colors in its name was the second most harvested duck in America in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: You got that?
Speaker 2: Huh, this is.
Speaker 4: The easiest question we've had all.
Speaker 1: Oh, you guys, just ducky folks. Man. I don't really know the names of these things.
Speaker 2: I know, like five ducks. Throw a few colors in one of their names. Maybe you'll have it. We have Brody, who's confident?
Speaker 1: Randall?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 5: I feel good?
Speaker 2: Okay, cal How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: Mostly good?
Speaker 2: And it's just those two remaining in the game. Brody's out of the game is that. Okay, they are tied with eight points right now, Brody.
Speaker 4: Phone this one, and I don't feel good about the victory, my impending victory.
Speaker 2: This is quite This bird with two colors and its name was the second most harvested duck in America in twenty twenty two. Is everybody ready? Brad and Colin scrambling to come up with an answer. Colin you ready, Yeah, I just got add Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying green wing teal. Coreen says green teal. Randall says blue wing teal. Mackenzie without an answers between blue and green. Colin saying green wing teal. Brody says green winged teal.
Speaker 1: A little teal gone. I scratched it out.
Speaker 2: Brad, hast teal. I'll tell you one of you two is correct between randalls and the correct answer is green winged teal.
Speaker 4: That makes kel with nine correct answers.
Speaker 1: Big win Cows.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty two, Mallards were the most harvested duck in America at two million total total. That's followed by green winged teal at one point four million, and then blue winged teal and cinnamon teal, which are categorized together at eight hundred and fifty thousand, gadwall at eight hundred thousand, wood ducks at seven hundred and fifty thousand, Widget at five hundred thousand, and Northern shovelers at four hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: They killed seven hundred and fifty thousand wood ducks.
Speaker 2: That's right. That makes it I think four fifth on the list here the most harvested duck in America.
Speaker 4: CAL.
Speaker 2: That means you get to choose where the one thousand dollars donation from Meat Eater and Athletic Brewing goes.
Speaker 4: CAL.
Speaker 2: What's it gonna be.
Speaker 4: We're gonna Land Access Initiative, meteor Land Access Initiative, LAI. What do we got going on over there today? Oh, we're taking in lots of options, lots of options, always.
Speaker 2: Thinking another project going to happen in twenty twenty four. We're looking at twenty twenty five right now.
Speaker 4: No, I think we can make it happen in twenty twenty four, or typically we can squeeze one in in that wonderful time of year, the Christmas promotional season.
Speaker 2: Okay, thousand dollars going to the meat Eater Lai thanks to Athletic Brewing for helping us make one of the biggest donations ever. They also made a five hundred dollars donation today to the NWTF on behalf of the moneyball question. Brat, thanks for joining us today. I feel like you did better than you thought you would, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it worked out man.
Speaker 3: Thanks for picking a couple of ones you knew I would know, and I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Boost. Keep me on the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 5: Well it was it?
Speaker 2: Six? Correct answers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that's sounds right.
Speaker 2: Six. There you go. It's a it's a good guest score for you.
Speaker 5: Brat.
Speaker 1: Thanks, but this was a lot more fun than I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that's a compliment. Join us next time for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.