Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max.
Speaker 2: You can also watch.
Speaker 1: The video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 3: All Right, so, hi Jeff, We're back.
Speaker 4: Hi Susie, good to be back with you.
Speaker 1: We are on season four, episode seven, The Surrogate.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So we start.
Speaker 1: Out with Larry and Cheryl watching a Seinfeld rerun. It's the Puffy Shirt episode. They're in bed and the phone rings, and we see that every time after an episode airs, and I gotta tell you a story about this in a minute. It's their friend Marilyn, who wants to go over the episode with them.
Speaker 2: It's really annoying.
Speaker 4: I'm very curious. I'm in great pain to watch these episodes. It's like I enjoy them when I do watch them, but my motivation to watch them because I have the experience in my head as which I talk about as a poet to seeing it. But I'm actually enjoying it more than I would. But if it ran and reruns and it's on HBO, I would under normal circumstances, that'd be like one of the last things I'd want to watch.
Speaker 2: I'd rather We don't know if Harry actually does watch.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think she does.
Speaker 2: Of the episode.
Speaker 4: Episode, but yeah, he wrote it, probably because he had the ending in mind.
Speaker 1: So this character Marilyn every night watches a rerun and every night calls them after each rerun. It's annoy But I was once somewhere. I don't want to say where I was because I don't want to give away who it is. And this woman approached me and she told me she was that character, and that she used to be very good friends with Larry and Laurie, and that she to always call every single night after the rerun and didn't know that it was so annoying until she watched this episode.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny, and she was actually quite hurt by it.
Speaker 4: Well, tell her to go to a good class for self awareness. I mean, you, eactly, you gotta think twice. You know. I wear this on my wrist, which it gives me pause. I don't have to snap it. I just look at it and it's like whoa, whoa, chill out and if she had this on she looked at it and go, oh, yeah, don't call Larry. Is she's remotely self aware, which clearly she wasn't. And I love that she was hurt because she wasn't identified.
Speaker 2: No, she wasn't identifying.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't want to say what she does for a living, because that would kind of give it away. But she was hurt and apparently not friends with them any longer.
Speaker 4: Well there is no them anymore.
Speaker 1: Well no, but at the time, this happened a long time ago. So what this is season four? That was two thousand and four, two thousand and five, something like that, And this is.
Speaker 4: A season I realized where there were where behind the scenes, a lot of changes and a lot of Did the Twins start next season?
Speaker 1: They either start next season of the season after next season is one of my favorite seasons.
Speaker 4: But I'm pretty sure that the Twins were are.
Speaker 1: The next Let's explain who the Twins are to people who don't know.
Speaker 4: Alick Burg, Jeff Schaeffer, and David Mandel who correct Jeff still is a producer director on the show, creative producer.
Speaker 2: Very hands on.
Speaker 4: Alc Berg went on to Silicon Valley and co created Berry and Mandel did viep. Bendel did Veep and he did that most recent Plumbers, the Plumbers the water mini series.
Speaker 2: So I used to call them.
Speaker 1: I believe you made it up, Jeff. We used to call them the Twins. It was three of them, but we called them the twins because.
Speaker 4: I am not great at remembering names. And Berg and Schaeffer their first job writing for a half hour comedy was a series that I did for Fox that, as a matter of fact, it was six episodes, never aired. It aired in Spain. I got a check, but it did.
Speaker 2: Not air with subtitles or with a dub I.
Speaker 4: Have no idea, but I imagine both were available, just like here, I always watch with subtitles. Well, the dubbing is so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: The dubbing is hilarious to watch.
Speaker 1: To watch ourselves dubbed in Spanish or German or.
Speaker 4: I'm not talking about us, I'm talking when I watched, I don't think.
Speaker 2: But to watch this show dubbed.
Speaker 1: I have been in other countries where I flipped through the channels and seen us dubbed, and it makes me laugh.
Speaker 4: It's so's gonna not make you laugh, would make me laugh for your air. So anyhow, the twins, that's what I called them, because I'm not good names. And then when they started working on Curb with Mandel as a team, a three team, I still call them the twins, you know, and it stuck. And I didn't even try like, oh, that'll be funny. It was like, no, no, no, twins works for me. I'm not going to let Mandel ruin it.
Speaker 2: Well that's what we called them, and that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the that was their name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the twins.
Speaker 1: But we'll get to them a lot more, and hopefully they'll all be on the show when we get to their season.
Speaker 4: I think that they I know Jeff's available to because he's probably in post on that show. Yeah, and he's already said yes. But hopefully I know Berg and Mandel would want to. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see where they're at, see where they're at. Yeah, So she calls. We get through all that, and then they're like, you know, Cheryl's imitating her?
Speaker 2: Are they rolling their eyes? Clearly they're annoyed by this.
Speaker 1: Maryland and Larry says that tomorrow he's getting a physical for the producers. We find out that information and Cheryl asked him, can you do me a favor?
Speaker 5: Will you pick up a present for the Doos and Berry's baby shower? Me, you're gonna be right there. There's a toy sort.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't trust me with something like that, a gift for a baby.
Speaker 5: Just get a doll or something.
Speaker 6: So you want me to get a doll for Betty?
Speaker 5: Get a doll for Betty. It's it's her baby shower.
Speaker 6: What about the surrogate? Get her anything?
Speaker 5: I don't think you need to worry about the surrogate.
Speaker 6: I don't know about that. I think the surrogate is a person too. She's having the baby.
Speaker 5: The shower is for Betty, so.
Speaker 4: She's going to be opening up presents.
Speaker 6: The sarrogate is going to be standing there like an idiot, and she has nothing to open. The whole thing's what's the surrogate.
Speaker 1: Etaguin asking Larry to get a shower gift, you know, nothing good is gonna come.
Speaker 4: Well, she suggested a few things, and then she also mentioned a doll. Larry went with the doll.
Speaker 1: And he says, Larry says, for Betty, who is the mother? What about the surrogate? So now we find out that the couple who's having the baby shower as a surrogate. The shower is for Betty. But you know, Larry's like, what's the surrogate etiquette? And I don't think any of us really know what the surrogate etiquette is, do you.
Speaker 4: Uh No, I don't have a clue none.
Speaker 2: Well, basically, I'm is even at the baby shower, That's what I was.
Speaker 4: Going to say. That's not generally because they don't want an emotional connection.
Speaker 2: Correct to thee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then Cheryl starts to rub Larry's hand like trying to, you know, get in a little frisky. Wants to have sex, and Larry says he can't because he's still suffering from the dog from Oscar biting his penis.
Speaker 4: And by the way, if it was the foul even if season ten he got bit on the Wiener season one of the next season, it never even happened.
Speaker 2: Never happened.
Speaker 4: We start fresh every season. So when I saw this, I'm like, oh, that's right, we'll continue whatever through the season.
Speaker 1: He's not ready couple of more days, and then we see him cut to he's at the medical facility and he's in the waiting room and he doesn't care for the magazine collection and it's a pretty shitty magazine.
Speaker 4: Com no you look at it. And this is one of those ones where yes, he's right, and when he goes.
Speaker 1: Family Circles Home Journal, but.
Speaker 4: When he goes up to the receptionist, he's actually making a nice suggestion. He's not going over the line because it is a suggestion.
Speaker 2: Correct, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: And the receptionist continues along string string of receptionists and assistance that immediately have a disliking to Larry.
Speaker 1: Immediately immediately, whether deserved or not. And then he's in the doctor's office and again it's a Jack Gallagher, Yes, terrific Jack Gallagher, who is Metropore and we love and Larry's on the treadmill and you know, doing one of those stress test things, and he starts complaining about the magazines the way Tom Cruise is.
Speaker 4: Forty I know, I know, and then emilias forty.
Speaker 2: All right, So Larry is on the tread mill.
Speaker 1: He's complaining that you should have Golf magazine, you should.
Speaker 2: Have the Nation.
Speaker 1: And he's on the treadmill doing his stress test and Renee, the nurse comes in and she's a beautiful woman and Larry starts looking it at her and the hearts it's going crazy, you see the monitors.
Speaker 4: So she's gorgeous and she's curvy, and it really goes crazy when she bends.
Speaker 1: Over and there she bends over. He's a little cleavage, he's a little a good amount. Well what you know, it's it's just like control yourself.
Speaker 2: But he can't.
Speaker 1: And then doctor Jack can't sign the form because it's irregular. So he gives him a heart halter, which he needs to wear for twenty four hours, which has electrodes, you know, things all attached to his body and whatever.
Speaker 4: By the way, as you know, I've had heart problems. I've worn a halter at least a half dozen times. Have you.
Speaker 2: I have never worn a halter a halter top hold on.
Speaker 4: In high school. I had to wear it, and that is about.
Speaker 2: Right, because I had heart problems in high school.
Speaker 4: I had this thing called wolf Arkinson White syndrome, you know, and that causes tachycardia, and before they discovered it was that I had to wear a hard halter a few times in high school a few times after. But in high school, anything that makes you different, you're I'm glad I was popular. That being said, it was not easy and it was very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: And in high school, I would imagine a little cleavage really makes the heart well, by the way, in high school, adult man should be able to control himself.
Speaker 4: It was the time though, where the little box that I was given it wasn't nearly as big as that box. It was still pretty big. I told people it was a walkman, you know, to protect myself, all right, heart.
Speaker 1: Halter, okay, And Renee is placing it on him and you see you ready, she's placing it on and he's getting off flustered and famished. And then we find out he's out to lunch with Lewis, and we find out that Lewis is actually dating Renee, and he says to Larry, have you ever made it with an African American woman? You know, Louis is so hip? Have you ever made it with an African American? And Larry says, yes, twice, two different people, which is a little surprising to me.
Speaker 4: Larry, wait, wait, wait, Richard goes three way, three way, and of course Larry burst out laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then Lewis starts saying that he's a little self conscious.
Speaker 2: He's self conscious.
Speaker 1: He went to the locker room at the nick game recently and the forward threw his towel off, and it was like a huge penis from another planet, like just from.
Speaker 2: Huge, huge, huge.
Speaker 1: And Larry says, you need to see a guard that the forward. The guard is a smaller guy. What are you looking at a forward for? Of course he's huge.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So Louis is worried about Renee that he can't live up.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether I would ever want I have intercourse with her because I'm a little I'm intimidating.
Speaker 5: You're one of the few friends.
Speaker 4: I can tell us.
Speaker 6: Okay, well then maybe I can.
Speaker 4: I can step in.
Speaker 6: I got that tenth anniversary present. I'm saying, if you want to, you know, if you're too intimidated to go through with it, I could try.
Speaker 2: A good friend doesn't do that. You don't you know, you know you don't have.
Speaker 5: Intercourse with someone who your friend doesn't screw.
Speaker 6: Why it would be a nice tenth anniversary present for me.
Speaker 2: All right, Rather go to Tiffany's to get you a ball.
Speaker 4: I don't want a ball.
Speaker 2: So then they are outside.
Speaker 1: Larry has his valet ticket and there's a black man standing next to the valet sign in a suit, a vest and a red tie, and Larry hands him his ticket.
Speaker 2: He's not.
Speaker 1: The valet gets very offended, and in the background we see Wanda is watching.
Speaker 4: But hold on the second here about the guy getting offended. He clearly looks forget if it was a white guy wearing that.
Speaker 2: It's one of those argument with a shirt.
Speaker 4: And the red tie, and Arry doesn't see.
Speaker 1: The jacket, wanders like, you know, you automatically think the black man is the valet and Larry's defending himself the red tide, the vest, and he then he asked Wanda, is there any discernible difference between a white man and a black man?
Speaker 2: And then she says to him.
Speaker 1: Well, look, did you get my script to that guy?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, everything's okay, so's you wanly a little favorite?
Speaker 2: Did he get my script? Yes he did, and.
Speaker 4: And what I gave it tilman, I'll read it and get back to you.
Speaker 2: He's not going to re write it, is he?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, because that's my baby. Oh yeah, mess with my babe.
Speaker 4: No one's gonna mess with your baby, don't worry about it, going to go back to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, messing with you.
Speaker 6: Is there any black men around, Hector? Is there a valet? I need a black man to get my car? Is there a black man in the area who wants to take my valet ticket?
Speaker 1: And then he's at the toy story, he's looking at us. The shelves are very empty of dolls, very very empty. And the last doll there, it's the Laurel doll. And it's a biracial doll. And Larry is talking to the sales clerk.
Speaker 6: What's the race on this doll?
Speaker 5: It's biracial?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Huh So they make this doll specifically for mixed couples, for black and white couples, they make a doll for their kids.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: If somebody's Asian and they marry a white person, are they making sort of a half Asian half white doll too? See what I'm getting that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that's Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wonder if you do.
Speaker 4: Did you recognize the sales clerk.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: She's a huge star. Who is it, Melissa McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Melissa McCarthy, Yes, and she's got that weird thing in her hair.
Speaker 4: Yes, but what I want to say is that the nuance in which she played that person and the way she smiled and reacted, Ye, you just went, here's a little mother fucking part, and look what this person's doing with it. She's good, no what she became, but she's not unworthy of stardom. She's more than worthy. But it's always amazing how you know, uh, what's the line. It's not the parts that are smallest. The actors were small.
Speaker 2: There are no small parts. They are only small actors.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way she showed that she knows that. And she had a small part and fucked and knocked it out of it and.
Speaker 2: She worked it. Yeah, she worked it.
Speaker 1: And then they're at the shower and Larry brings in the gifts, and she sees the monitor on Larry, the heart monitor, and she's concerned, and they start talking about does Bernie Dusenberry look like Steve DeMarco And you always think somebody looks like somebody.
Speaker 4: And Steve DeMarco is someone who has been Larry's golf coach and mine, and so he was doing a shout out to Steve DeMarco.
Speaker 1: And Betty opens up the door and Larry says, she's gonna give o good.
Speaker 3: It's from the David's.
Speaker 2: Oh a all, it's a milato oh good by Rachel is what we call it, usually by Rachel.
Speaker 4: Eliza Murray. Her husband is Joel Murray and part of the Murray family. Uh, you know, Belle, all of them. And Eliza Murray is one of Marla, my ex wife's best friends, and I love her. I'm close with her. I'm close to both of them. But it was wonderful that she was doing this. She did a great job.
Speaker 1: And then Larry has another gift for the surrogate and Cheryl's not happy about this that he bought another gift for the surrogate and Larry goes over. It's after the all the gifts are done being open and he goes over to the surrogate.
Speaker 4: But everyone shocked and pu yeah, that he brought something from the surrogate.
Speaker 2: Absolutely especially Cheryl, and the surrogate thanks him. She didn't expect it.
Speaker 1: And Larry's like, well, you're the one who's carrying the baby, you know, and you know you know something, you know what's gonna happen. I mean, just knowing Curb, you know, what's gonna happen, And you know, he starts telling her about you know, I'm a writer and it's not such a great job. You don't let them touch my baby, you know, echoing what Wanda had just said.
Speaker 6: You never see it again. They take your baby from you, they give you a baby to somebody else, and that's it. You've lost complete contact with your baby. You never see the baby again. And if you're a baby, and they give it to another writer, and that writer doesn't let you even look at your baby.
Speaker 3: It's part of your job this week you signed up for.
Speaker 2: I mean, you knew you had to give it aver.
Speaker 6: But it's hard to give up that baby. I mean, a few years you can see how your script's doing it or something I know, But then it's all changed.
Speaker 4: You have nothing to do with it, eh, And.
Speaker 1: You've lost complete contact with your baby. And he's saying your baby, baby, talking about a script, and he keeps on you.
Speaker 4: She says, three months later you can check in it, and he's no, no, it's changed. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Hard to give up that baby. And he starts carrying on and carrying on, and if I may it was the.
Speaker 4: Exact perfect number of babies that felt believable. I don't know if he said more and cut it out, and editing, well, we never know that. I used to know that when I'd sit in on editing. For those of you who don't remember me saying or didn't listen to that episode, I stopped going to editing because Larry likes to watch every take.
Speaker 2: He watches every single take in editing still to this day.
Speaker 1: And then we're back at producer's rehearsal and Mel is watching Larry rehearse with David Schwimmer and the question you're still on book. Larry's still on book, which means it's a term. It means he doesn't know his lines.
Speaker 4: Basically, he doesn't know the book is the script, ye, and he's reading from the script. By the way, that's me. I have no choice but to try and memorize it early because if I'm not, if I'm still yeah, he's doomed by the way to have this one of.
Speaker 1: The beauties of being an actor. On Curb Your Enthusiasm, oh.
Speaker 4: Man, that has never not been a topic of discussion. It's always brought up, whether at lunch or something.
Speaker 2: How free it's star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just usually it's a guest star that mentions it.
Speaker 2: We're so used to it.
Speaker 4: No, but we all go off by Larry Goes. It's you know, cause it's really free.
Speaker 1: We love it that we don't have to memorize any lines. And no, you know for our listeners. I mean when you have to memorize lines the night before before you go to sleep, you're in bed, you're going through your lines. You can't sleep because you're trying to read. It's like, it's horrible. Some people are great at it. I was just reading an article about Judy Dench, who has a photographic memory, and she never had difficulty memorizing lines. She's lost her eyesight, so she's trying to memorize lines by hearing it. She's having a great deal of difficulty. All actors have different methods, and some are quite good at it and some not.
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 4: For me. It's a muscle and if the muscle is grooving, you know you're doing it. Long enough, you've been filming for a week, two weeks, the muscle kicks in and I have no trouble. It's when I don't do a lot of it, or I'm out of shape because I've been on shows where.
Speaker 2: I go over it with the you know, the script supervisor.
Speaker 4: Well, the line whoever you know? Yeah, usually shows that I'm on there's something, they hire someone, and really it's like two times through it and I'm good boom because it's a muscle it.
Speaker 2: Also, I find it depends on the script.
Speaker 1: A well written script is way easier to memorize than a poorly written script because it makes sense.
Speaker 4: Hold On lu Schneider, our old friend, Yeah, directed a lot of episodes that I was in, and he knew that if I couldn't remember it, there was something wrong with it.
Speaker 1: He just yes that if it makes sense and it's flowing, it's much easier to memorize.
Speaker 4: Bad dialogue is impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I used to do it recurring on SVU, playing a defense attorney, I had all this legal jargon I had to memorize.
Speaker 2: It was brutal. It made no sense to me. I didn't know what I was saying. It was brutal.
Speaker 4: And SVU was the show that I guess started on as the murderer. I don't remember, Jeffy, is that the one where Roz asked if I would do it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. She was an EP on all of them.
Speaker 4: I was on what was the one that Chris Noth was on?
Speaker 2: Do you know that was SVU?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, No, that was cis criminal intent?
Speaker 4: Criminal intent? So I was the murderer on criminal Intent and all my dialogue there was nothing that cued me. I had to come up with these long passages without remembering. Yeah, why like answering a question and no, no, it's that show is impossible. Another one, by the way, it's funny to bring up. I was the villain on Baywatch and all the actors around me they read it once or twice. Their muscles were in full force. I had long monologues and they beat the shit out of me.
Speaker 2: Well, luckily none of that on Curb. So there's he's still on book.
Speaker 1: They open in three and a half weeks and then Mel says, did you get your medical results for insurance? And then Larry shows him the heart halter that he didn't, and then Swim is like are you too old?
Speaker 2: And like you want to race? You want to race, and then David Schwimmer's dad comes in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you have to understand just like Ben Stellar, David Schwimmer comes in and does the subtle.
Speaker 2: Animosity absolutely very hostile.
Speaker 4: It builds here, but in general it's really not that it's difficult to play that subtly.
Speaker 1: Jack Keller is playing Schwimmer's father, that's who plays Swimmers.
Speaker 4: It was very good.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was very good. That's why I looked it up.
Speaker 1: And he comes in and Larry tells Mel about Renee, and then we see in the background David Schwimmer's father is showing him some photos and Mel is so funny when he starts talking about Victor McLaughlin and Adolph Menjeu and rubbing their face.
Speaker 2: You know who also did that face rubbing? Was Brian Keith? Was always like rubbing his face. I love Mel. And then Schwimmer introduces his day.
Speaker 4: I don't love Brian Keith.
Speaker 2: Not as much as I love Mel. I know there's few people I love as much as Mel.
Speaker 4: Although Brian Keith had such a great career in movies.
Speaker 2: And a terrific actor.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows him from Family Affair.
Speaker 1: Family Affair, Jody, but he was in a lot of great movies and he no a lot of World War two movies.
Speaker 4: But I didn't discover that till later on because I watched Family.
Speaker 2: You watch Family Affair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and by the way, he always wanted to be mister French and have a relationship with missus spaces.
Speaker 3: What was his name?
Speaker 4: That actor I'm blocking, Sebastian cabin He's the narrator and one of the main characters in Jungle Book.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sebastian Cabot toward of our childhood. And then Schwimmer introduces his dad to Mel and to Larry, he's a no no, no.
Speaker 4: No, no, no no. He introduces him to Mel.
Speaker 1: To Mel, yeah, and he barely he introduces him to Larry, but he barely acknowledges no no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: The father barely acknowledges no.
Speaker 5: No, no, no no.
Speaker 4: He introduces him to Mel because his dad's excited, big fan, blah blah blah. Yeah, and Larry's looking over what about me? What about me? And Mel walks away if I'm not mistaken, And David Schummer looks at Larry and goes, oh, yeah, this is Larry. Yeah, yes, And the father's non plush. Yeah, and we know why he's nonplussed. But then we get into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because after Irving Schwimmer walks away, Larry says he told.
Speaker 6: Him about the whole Cashew raisin thing, right, you know we're talking. You don't have to go back and tell him.
Speaker 4: Larry, are you kidding? I know you said something, and of course I said something. It was your suggestion, mister constructive criticism. Hey, he's putting four cashes in a bag.
Speaker 2: He deserves constructive criticism about it.
Speaker 6: I want to call him, seriously, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I just like to call him, iologize. Feel comfortable with my dad, David. I'm gonna apologize.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be very nice, believe me.
Speaker 2: So you told him about the Cashew raisin thing.
Speaker 1: Was that it? And Schwimmer says yeah, and he was upset about it, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: So Larry DECI no, no, But Swimmer has the justification. It was a suggestion you suggested, If that's what you said, suggestion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, And Larry wants to call him to apologize, wants to call Irving Schwimmer to apologize. So he's in Larry's in his car, in his little Prius.
Speaker 4: By the way, Schwimmer also very reluctantly gives the number. I'd rather not call my father. Well, don't call after ten, which becomes a theme all through the show about the cutoffs.
Speaker 1: Right, which for the first time we saw that was in season one in the wire, Yeah was the cutoff.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: Larry pulls the car over and he dials Irving Schwimmer's number and he starts to leave a message when in the middle of the message, which is a perfectly normal message, somebody rear ends Larry.
Speaker 6: Oh, this is Larry David. I just want to say, your fucking asshole, what's your fucking problem?
Speaker 3: You're prick Jesus.
Speaker 2: So we know this is going to come back to haunt him. It's just how could it not.
Speaker 1: Nothing happens without it coming back to haunt him. And the guy in the car that he's yelling at gets out of the car with a tire iron and he starts to go after and by the way, and that excellent actor who's never stopped, yes, I know I recognized him, but what's his name again?
Speaker 4: He at that point was in that Tom Hanks Steven Spielberg mini series about the war Rominy Malik was in it. It was on HBO. It was very Brothers. He was in that and it was very, very successful, and this was the next thing that he did after that, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he starts to go after Larry, and Larry pulls up his shirt because he's got the monitor.
Speaker 2: On, and he pretends to have a heart attack.
Speaker 4: Right typical, which, by the way, I never had that opportunity actually, thank god. But when I read that he was doing that, I'm with the script. I went, oh, that's brilliant. That's brilliant because there's a logical reason why his heart's not This is one of those dominoes that goes into million directions and having to wear the halter. I watching it again, forgot that he's doing this, and then I watched it.
Speaker 1: I totally forgot this episode. I totally forgot this episode. On rewatching, they call an ambulance. The crowd forms.
Speaker 2: The next thing.
Speaker 1: Larry's on a stretcher in the ambulance and then he sees people.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, wait, right now, hold on, I gotta add something here. As he's being put into the ambulance, he's trying to explain to them the empt. His legs are crossed at the ankle like he's in a casual position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which nobody would be.
Speaker 4: And if they had a heart attack, he's just like, oh.
Speaker 2: They're not getting But he didn't have a heart attack.
Speaker 4: No, I know, but still that's why it's funny.
Speaker 1: And he sees in the ambulance, he sees his whole crowd running after the surrogate with her big stuffed animal that Larry had given her.
Speaker 2: We don't know what that's about, but we can assume.
Speaker 1: And then he's in the hospital talking to the nurse and he's talking to her about is it a myth or is it true?
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, let's also take a step back. A group of people chasing a pregnant woman not something you see every day.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, but it's a curve of your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And the nurse in the husband she was terrific. Also, she says it's a myth, and Larry says, too bad for the black guys. And then he asked her about mulatto and she says, no, that's a no, no, it's by racial. And then Cheryl comes in and Larry says to her, which I love this kind of throwaway. You know that she's bi racial, but she still needs sunblock. There's no advantage. There's no advantage to being by racial.
Speaker 4: But what's really funny about that is we didn't see that conversation, so he was covering lots of topics.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes, And then he tells her there was a road rage incident and he faked a heart attack. And then Show's pissed off because she's like, if you're not even sick, why am I here? You know you faked a fucking heart attack? Why am I here? She's pissed off. She's pissed off through this entire episode. Cheryl is and then she says, Tim, what did you say to the surrogate? She's in labor?
Speaker 4: Way hold on? Though They get into an argument. Larry says, would you prefer I had a heart attack? Yes? Would you prefer that I had? He names a few other things and she doesn't dispute it.
Speaker 1: So Cheryl says, the surrogut is in labor and Bernie Dousenberry wants to kick Larry's ass because the surrogate wants to keep the baby now because there's something that Larry said to her. And the elevator opens and there's the surrogate with the panda, and we don't know what happens yet.
Speaker 2: But there are primos.
Speaker 1: Cut to there are primos, Larry and Richard Lewis, and they're in a bathroom of primos and they're about to take a piss and they talk about Larry says there's no difference between black men and white men because the nurse had told him that.
Speaker 2: And then who should walk in? Jeff uh, Muggsy Boat, Muggy Bou's right.
Speaker 1: Muggy Bos, who was one of the great guards of all times and a short guy.
Speaker 4: Well that's what was delightful about him. He was so short, and when I met him that he was a tiny bit shorter than me. And I've been around NBA players and they dwarf me. So that's yeah, if you're I'm six' one, so if you're less than six to one, you are really tiny on that court.
Speaker 2: And you know, but he could move.
Speaker 4: But also remember this too, if memory serves, he didn't really know the show.
Speaker 2: Oh really, it wasn't around.
Speaker 1: So Muggsy Bos comes in and they're felling over him, you know, the big basketball.
Speaker 4: Fan, and they're making a point to say that they hadn't started peeing yet and their hands are clean, but they're still not going to shake his hand.
Speaker 1: And they also make a point that he's a guard. Yes, because Larry had made that point before. You got to look at the guard's Peni's not the forward, the forward of the big tall guys.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So the three of them are at the urinal and you see Larry and Lewis is sneaking a peek and it's huge, it's massive, and Muggsy sees Larry looking and goes after him.
Speaker 2: And what does Larry do? He makes a heart attack?
Speaker 4: Yes, which is it's so funny because he would almost need that every episode.
Speaker 1: Well, it's you know, we did a couple of episodes ago, we did the special section where he uses his mother's death to get out of things. Right now he's using the heart monitor, get it say, it's the same idea. Cut to we're at the doctor's parking lot and there's a black man in the parking lot who was Eric our What was Eric?
Speaker 2: He was an AD? Wasn't he?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't a D He was a PA?
Speaker 2: Was he a PA? But he was on the show many many years.
Speaker 4: No, he was on the show up until we took the big break. Yes, and Eric was the AD. No, Jonathan Jonathan Right was.
Speaker 2: The ad was the second ad, Dale was the first AD.
Speaker 4: By the way Eric and I loved each other, we.
Speaker 2: Became very Eric was a great guy, but he was One of his.
Speaker 4: Jobs was to give me cues when I'm going to enter a scene like it almost So We're in a closet and I did this to him twice. We're in this little closet and I have to come out, and I don't remember why I was in a closet, but I have to come out. And when he gives me the cueue, I rip a fart and the door has to close behind me, and he's alone in this little closet. Kind no, no, it's horrible. And I did it to him twice. He said the second time, You're not going to do that to me again, or the third time whenever it was, I won't and Eric I did again. Yeah, poor Eric. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Eric is playing the black man in the parking lot and Larry gets out of his car and then he realizes he didn't hit the fob to set.
Speaker 2: The alarm, and you know, he hits it after the fact.
Speaker 1: He's you know, a couple of yards away, and Eric turns him and says, you think I'm going to steal your car and it's not a race thing, and he turns the alarm off. See, and then we see Wanda watching, which you know, Wanda is a little bit too conveniently there all the time.
Speaker 4: No, she's shooting.
Speaker 2: I understand, I understand.
Speaker 4: I believed it completely. But I want to say that Larry in these two scenes with Wanda, is in fact a victim of circumstance. But I know absolutely there are people I know, some that I'm very close to very well, who really use that card almost all the time.
Speaker 2: Which card are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Victim of circumstance? I go, there has to be sometimes where you're in the wrong, where you've just made a terrible mistake.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, the guy who's constantly losing his job, but it's everybody else's fault.
Speaker 2: Well, there happens so many times.
Speaker 1: After a while, it's like, eh, look in the mirror of my friend exactly.
Speaker 4: So Larry here twice is a victim of circumstance, which is unusual, well not for the show. Quite often he is, but it's with Wanda, and he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Speaker 2: No, and Wanda says, you saw the black man, you say, let me lock my car.
Speaker 6: You put the alarm on.
Speaker 2: The black man made you.
Speaker 4: Go let me lock the car.
Speaker 6: I just hadn't done it yet, it's all.
Speaker 1: And do you think a black man will want that piece of shit?
Speaker 2: Piece of shit at toy cardl black man don't want a toy car. Black man want a call with some get up and go. And then she asked him, did you hear back, No.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, hold on, you're skipping something, which is what black man with the suit is gonna get your car. Black man not dressed and nice, am gonna steal your car? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then she asked him, did you hear back about my script?
Speaker 1: And Larry says he didn't like it, And then that's when Wanda says, did you tell him I was black?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You don't know how to play the card. And a brown skin black, not like some light skin black. You know, a dark black.
Speaker 2: Now Larry is in.
Speaker 1: The doctor's office and he's reading a golf magazine and he's practicing his sweat current one.
Speaker 4: And by the way, hold on, hold on, Larry David with any tip that said, when we're working, when we're not working.
Speaker 2: He is always trying, always pressing air.
Speaker 4: Swing too, never with the club, you know, And so the fact that he did it on camera I think is funny.
Speaker 1: And he tells the doctor he loves the magazine Improvement and he says it's one of the few.
Speaker 2: Times anyone's taken my advice. And he's very very happy about it.
Speaker 1: And then Renee enters because he's going to be retested now, and Larry won't look at her. He's looking at the ceiling. He's looking to the left, to the right, and Renee says, Bernie Dousonbury'll be here in ten minutes, and we see Larry's heart rate go up because Cheryl had told him that Bernie Dowsonberry wants to kick his ass right right. Then he's in bed with Cheryl with the monitor on because he didn't pass the test again, and Seinfeld is on and the surrogate changed her mind and is giving up the baby, and Larry says, the penis is healed as soon as I get rid of the monitor, and the phone rings and they assume that Seinfeld is over the rerun and they assume it's Marilyn. Larry's like don't pick up, don't pick up. Shut the lights go to bed, and the machine turns on and it's irving Shwimmer.
Speaker 4: This deserve Shwimmer, You motherfucking cock sucking son of a bitch. Paster sounds like your character.
Speaker 2: It did, but it wasn't. It was serving Swimmer. And that's it.
Speaker 4: And that's what we call a button.
Speaker 2: That is a button. Yeah, that's a great ending, by the way, it's a great button.
Speaker 4: But that show is one of those things where it goes in and out and crosses over and you don't know where it's gonna meet. It's pretty brilliant that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's a good There's there's a lot of good ones in this season, you know, and I think there's a lot of good ones in prior seasons.
Speaker 2: But you see a rhythm getting more. Yeah, yeah, exactly. So we will see you next time.
Speaker 4: Yes, and thank you all for listening very much.
Speaker 3: The history of.
Speaker 1: Curb Your Enthusiasm is a product of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.