Speaker 1: I'm a homegrow that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that. Right, Hey, guys, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Lauren de Rosa and this is the Latest with Lauren de Rosa. This is your daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations.
Speaker 2: That shake the room. Baby.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm coming to you guys today from la We are here in town for the Ebony Power one hundred gala. For those of you guys who do not know, I was nominated and then awarded and recognized on the Ebony Power one hundred list, which is a list of amazing individuals across many different career fields from entertainment to entrepreneurship, activism, all these different things where they recognize people who are making strides and causing conversation and just doing great things in their career field. I was recognized by Ebenie as a part of their Media Maven's List for the work that I've been doing at the Breakfast Club, but also the work that I've been doing here on the podcast with the Latest with Laurying the Rosa the podcast. So I'm really excited to be here in LA and now we're bringing you, guys, you know, live into the action with me across socials. I'm luring the rosa everywhere, but also here on the podcast. You know, I have some goodies for you guys. Love to keep you alive, like literally updated with the latest and bring you along the journey with me as well, not just the news, but also things that are happening, because we're doing news and we're doing it well apparently y'all. So Loo Riders, Yeah, we're here. We're celebrating chairs to us, Ebony Power one hundred and celebrating us. So we are going to celebrate us now today hopping right on into the latest, let's talk about Halloween because we are a weekend removed from Halloween, and boy, oh boy, did some costumes calls a star. Top of the list is model actress Winnie Harlowe. You guys will remember her from America's Sex Top My Winnie Harlow dressed up as Whitney Houston and she did two very memorable Whitney Houston moments. She dressed up and recreated the want to Dance with Somebody video and look which was iconic. But she also dressed up and recreated Whitney Houston's two thousand and one moment at the BT Awards where Whitney Houston was receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award. Let's take a listen to Whitney Houston in two thousand and one accepting this speech.
Speaker 3: On I'm a babo, I'm a bibo? What what? Oh? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Thank you? My gosh, hey wait, that's mine, that's mine. Let me handle this.
Speaker 2: But chill, you bet, that's what.
Speaker 1: But now, Whitney Houston, you know, in this moment, especially, a lot of the you know, the things from this moment, you bet those things have all gone super viral so much. Those sounds are used across TikTok, across Instagram, everywhere.
Speaker 2: The memes and not even just this moment.
Speaker 1: The means of Bobby Brown, of the means of the means of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, they're everywhere all the time, all across social from Facebook to x to Instagram, YouTube, all the places.
Speaker 2: There are videos.
Speaker 1: Right now on YouTube just you know, reposting and uploading that speech that we just listened to that have over four million views. In recent comments, people are still rediscovering this moment every single day. Uh, you know this is the top you sound on on TikTok as well. So I mean, I say all that to say that Winny Harlow is not the first person to call back to this moment, but people were really upset.
Speaker 2: So she posted a video.
Speaker 1: She's dressed just like Whitney Houston, hair just like Whitney Houston, and she reenacts that moment that we just heard and walked in. It does a whole you know, walk out and you know there's a whole thing that went along with this, and the fans are upset. Now, the Whitney Houston Instagram, the official Instagram account controlled by the Whitney Houston estate, reposted the video themselves and just you know, noted that you know, it was Winny Harlow and she redid the iconic moment. They weren't upset about it, but the people were. So people are in the comments of this instagram and here are some of the comments. So one person says, there are so many highlights of Whitney's life and career to honor. This feels like making fun of someone where they would when they were having a hard time, and this is people pointing to, you know, allegations that this was during the time when Whitney Houston was, you know, using drugs and doing different things. The common continues, I'm sure that's not your intention. Maybe it's not that deep, but some of her day one fans really still miss her and feel bad about how we lost her. You guys will remember that Whitney Houston passed away in February of twenty twelve and Beverly Hills, California, the day before the Grammy Awards. She accidentally drowned in a hotel room, and at the time she had left behind her daughter, Bobby Christina, who also went on to pass away three years later after that at the age of twenty two. You know, it was just tragic all around. There's been so much conversation just about today.
Speaker 2: I think today, in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty five, there's a lot more conversation about how we deal with people and how we have conversations with people when they're going through things, regardless of what we think those things are.
Speaker 2: Because there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of moments with you know, Whitney Houston that again are super viral where people like to have conversations about what they think was happening, whether it was drug use or whatever.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot that.
Speaker 1: We we didn't know the answer to, and even if we did, there are still conversations that are happening very intensely today in twenty twenty five about how we deal with people going through things. And that's what sparked some of the backlash, with people and fans of Whitney Houston feeling like Winnie Harlow was not being sensitive to whatever Whitney Houston would have been dealing with at the time of this moment. Another person commented, and they're commenting on the official Whitney Houston Instagram page and says, don't like it her I want to dance with somebody.
Speaker 2: Look was cute and was enough.
Speaker 1: Whitney was not at her healthiest during this time, and cosplaying the time of her life is in poor taste. She has so many other beautiful looks to choose from now. Winnie Harlow has actually gone to her Instagram to respond to the backlash that she received, and she says, firstly, majority of the responses have been incredibly positive. Because there were some positive responses people feeling like, yes, this was an iconic Whitney Houston moment so rightfully. So you know this is like another way.
Speaker 2: Of honor and Whitney.
Speaker 1: Winnie Harlow continues, I've loved seeing you guys love these Halloween looks. My video wasn't mocking Whitney. That clip has always been one of my favorite moments of hers. She was radiant, funny, confident and captivating. She was being awarded the way she moved across that stage with flair and swag, question mark iconic period. You better lay low is something I say at least once a week. My mother is one of her biggest fans and named me Whitney after her. Oh why I didn't know that Winnie Harlow's real name was Whitney. Why did I think that Winni Harlow's real name was Winnie Harlow. Let's look that up. Okay, wait, there's a couple of name changes here with her. Oh okay, that's why I'm confused. Okay, so Winnie Harlow. So Winnie Harlow's birth name is Chantel. I don't know, because Fashion Week did did an interview with Winnie Harlow back in December of twenty twenty eight, and They said, your birth name is Chantel Brown Young. Where did the name Winny Harlow come from? And she said, it's literally just from Winnie the Pooh. I was a big fan growing up, and this actually is from a joke with some friends.
Speaker 2: We were on the phone with some boys.
Speaker 1: I grabbed the phone from one of my girls and was like, don't get my friend's attitude, and the boys asks to asis. I looked over and my friend was wearing a Winnie to Boo T shirt. So I said, my name is Whinny. When I started working, it felt kind of naturally just continue with it. Harlow comes from Jean Harlow. I'm a really big Maryland Moree fan, but I didn't want to use Moree because that felt cheesy. But Jean Harlow was one of Merlin's real, big career inspirations, so I took the name Harlow. I do love my actual name a lot. At the beginning, I tried to go by Chantal Winnie, but then decided to keep Winnie, Harlow and Chantal separate.
Speaker 2: My family calls me Schantel. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this was Fashionweekdaily dot Com back in December of twenty eighteen. But here in this post, and she's saying that her legal name is Whitney. That's her real legal name, so maybe there's been a couple name changes. She also she's always been a queen in my house. When he continues, people are more than headlines. A woman who could command a room, make you laugh, and carry yourself like royalty. If all you see when you see Whitney are her struggles, you're missing her charisma, her humor, her talent, personality and wit.
Speaker 2: She was hilarious and magnetic. That and that isn't on capitals.
Speaker 1: That is and what should be always highlighted the light that made us all love her attention to positivity. So I guess my question to you guys is where do you stand on this? You know, for me, I felt like it was a costume. I felt like it was a moment. I understand where people are coming from, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I felt like it was a costume. It was a moment.
Speaker 1: I also feel like Winnie Harlowe is not the first person to not even recreate, but to lean in and utilize and talk about and repost this moment. It's not like she, you know, came out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: With it.
Speaker 1: We see this on our timelines and in conversation all the time. I've even said before on the Breakfast Club, I forget what was talking about when dare I remember doing the you better lay low like It's become one of those signature moments in pop culture. And I know that people go through things behind these moments, and that's why people are upset. And I love the battle that we do and that we have for people to have the right to go through these moments in private. But I don't think that, you know, even if Winnie, like, let's say, right and again, this is not what she says she was doing.
Speaker 2: But even if Winnie did the.
Speaker 1: Costume, because not because she thought, you know, Whitney Houston was as brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous as we all know she was, but just because that moment was a big moment, it's still in some way fair because it is. It's everywhere, it's Whitney Houston. But let me know how you guys think, you know, take it to the streets and the tweets, my little riding outside, we outside, we outside outside, Halloween is here, Halloween has come, Halloween has gone. Actually next year, though, do we have to be sensitive about what costumes we're choosing?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: I know certain things are off limits, and we don't got to even get into those things. I don't want to see nobody that ain't skin folk, Kim Flok and black face. We get that, But when it comes to things like this, are we about to start trying to have a conversation around canceling people because of the moments they choose to highlight and what they choose to represent on a holiday that is supposed to be about fun and recreating iconic moments. Let me know, I'm going the rose and at the end of the day, y'all could always be somewhere with anybody else talking about all of these things. Baby, the Halloween controversy is everywhere. They didn't got Kanye West's ex and actress Julia Fox dragging her right now for dressing up as Jackie Kennedy with the bloodstained dress after President Kennedy was assassinated. You have Bobby Lights from Love and Hip Hop, who dressed up as Little nas X when he had one of his mental breakdowns recently, dragging him as well.
Speaker 2: Now that I understand you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But even that some people argue, and I also understand the uh, the Kennedy and you know, Julia Fox and people being upset about that, but I don't really know. I feel like Wenie Harlowe did a really good job, but I didn't take it maliciously.
Speaker 2: But y'all let me know what y'all think.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's always gonna be controversy and we'll always be right here to talk about it at the latest with Una Rosa.
Speaker 2: I will see you guys in my next episode.