Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I woke up this morning to a message from Danielle which was Instagram. Did you get this?
Speaker 3: Well, she's not going all of us, So I got sense.
Speaker 2: This Instagram which is a guy doing an impression of the ensemble in a musical, which.
Speaker 4: Is just him like clapping and do it like I wassing one line and he's and it's basically all theater kid energy.
Speaker 2: This is Danielle's least favorite thing. The essence of theater kid energy distilled. So I'm laughing. I'm literally in bed. This is the first thing I do this morning. I pulled this and I'm laughing at that. I put the down and my son bursts into the room, wrapped in a blanket like a cloak, and just comes at me with theater kid energy and what he's immediately riffing on. He's so excited to wake me up and riff on. We've got our new version of some friend you turned out to be Sebastian. Do you remember this some friend? What's that in the road? So the next is there's a sushi restaurant that we've gone to that's like a hand roll place. It's delicious and it's called you know me? Why oh n o am I. So maybe it's pronounced you know me, you know me, And we are now trying to just constantly come up with more riffs on different intonations interpretations of these three syllables. Would you would you like to take a stad either one of you.
Speaker 5: I already know mine, as you've forgotten. This was started by Yolanda Omi. So it's why Omi is what it is. That's that's the name.
Speaker 3: What the why is just an initial.
Speaker 2: What we're trying to do is just take the existing syllables you know me right, and that's the different variations on how to. So you could say, you know my, you know my me, you no me me right, So you just keep going, uh, you.
Speaker 6: Know me, you know me.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a good one. Nice. Nice.
Speaker 2: So Andy's most brilliant one is you know.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Anyway, theater kid energy, morning, guys.
Speaker 5: Well this is I don't know if you remember what I sent to everybody was I found Danielle's Ultimate Retreat and I sent it which was the you can go to an adult theater camp. And so it's everybody like you saw all these people in their thirties and forties, Dan, we're all in this.
Speaker 2: I would yeah so bad, and yet I would care so much. You will would think it's hysterical, but commit and actually like kill the actually win the camp whatever that.
Speaker 7: Is over stimulated whole time, and I would be like, oh my god, a.
Speaker 2: Great little documentary of us going on theater camp.
Speaker 6: It really would. It would be good.
Speaker 3: It would.
Speaker 5: Oh man, what I'm looking forward to is the drama, the theater kid camp drama.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I love it. Did you see how Becky looked at me. She doesn't deserve that part. Oh my god. It would be oh so so del among.
Speaker 2: Forty year olds. Yes, yes, it's way worse, absolutely because it's real.
Speaker 3: Rider It's real.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Another thing that would just make me want to kill everyone and be like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: You You're over your talking, get your life together, your.
Speaker 7: Forty I would have no patience, But until day two when Danielle walks over and just starts talking about.
Speaker 2: Or when she doesn't get the lead part, She'll just be like, wait, hold on, hold on. I was on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know this.
Speaker 8: But I came in eight.
Speaker 1: I came in eighth.
Speaker 6: Place on dancing.
Speaker 2: There was dancing component, which there probably would be at a theater camp.
Speaker 5: You kill it in that they give the role to Bonnie Morgan though unfortunately so but that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: That would be so funny.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, Yeah, we're going We're okay, okay, you know what. I God, I don't know why I like to do things that torture me, but with you guys, it somehow ends up being fun.
Speaker 2: If it was like a like a two day experience. But if we're talking like multiple weeks, I'm not committing to Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, we're not putting on it a go anywhere for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: No, not going on the road. But here's what we'll do.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll go a few days a weekend to the adult theater camp, and then to do something fun. For Danielle, we'll do a weekend at the Porsche racing school.
Speaker 6: Great, I like that. That's that would be fun.
Speaker 5: And then for me we'll do a weekend where we just smoke weed and watch movies.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I'm down for all of this.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 6: Maybe not all in the same month.
Speaker 3: No, No, we'll break it up. We'll break it up.
Speaker 5: And the great part about my plan is I'm just going to keep pushing it off until eventually it's canceled.
Speaker 3: So that's the joy. Can't get on my couch this weekend, guys. Sorry, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The three of us being super high would be a pretty good episode.
Speaker 6: That would be a pretty funny episode.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's somebody somebody's dream, blunt rotation or nightmare.
Speaker 3: Well, I just keep passing to myself.
Speaker 6: Welcome to pod meets World. I'm Daniel Official, I'm rather strong, and I'm Wilfred Dell.
Speaker 7: At the turn of the twenty first century, the end of human existence loomed. In the near future. The threat of a computer virus called Y two K would allegedly not only shut down all of our computers, but in turn erase your identity, crash every plane in the air at midnight, and turn your vacuum against you. An aura of paranoia and fear clouded what was meant to be a momentous occasion, But thankfully we did have one moment. In nineteen ninety nine, pop culture that America agreed to unanimously celebrate for its optimism, artistic merit, and promise for the future. That moment was Jason Biggs having sex with a Pie. The New Jersey Natives started acting at just five years old, a veteran of national commercials by.
Speaker 6: The time he booked his first TV gig at thirteen Fox's Drexels Class, a.
Speaker 7: Sitcom that received the common doomed fate of just one season. For the next few years, he'd jump around TV shows like As the World Turns and Total Security until he was given the script that changed everything. In the era of eminem shock Jocks and Celebrity Deathmatch, came the cinematic equivalent, the teen sex comedy to rule them all, American Pie. He'd quickly turned into an international superstar, not only for the multi movie franchise that American Pie would become, but for movies like Loser, Saving Silverman, and anything else he'd long outlive the success of hard R comedies, popping up on the Netflix, defining Orange is the New Black, voicing Leonardo on the animated teenage mutant Ninja Turtles TV show, and living within the Kevin Smith view Askewniverse. But now with rumors of a new American Pie movie swirling, he moved behind the camera to direct himself in the film untitled Home Invasion Romance, taking into his own hands and helming the projects he wants to make. And today he will sit down with us to talk about what the eye of the American pie Storm was like for him and what forty years in the business looks like In twenty twenty six, Welcome to Pod Meets World the legendary Jason biggs Hell.
Speaker 8: Hello, well, hello, hey everybody. How are you guys?
Speaker 7: We are great, Thank you so much for coming on. We are excited to talk to you about your new movie. But first I want to jump into some late nineties early aughts stardom because when in Rome.
Speaker 8: Right, sure, you know one does, yeah, of course.
Speaker 7: Now, growing up in New Jersey, how does a five year old start in the entertainment industry? I imagine you with like a little cigar looking for representation.
Speaker 6: How far off am I?
Speaker 8: Yeah? In a little suit.
Speaker 1: I my older sister, who's seven years my senior, he was in this little dance group in Jersey. We grew up about eight miles from Manhattan, so really close yet so far away. And and a lot of the girls though, they were really talented, and they would kind of travel around and they had some measure of success by you know, New Jersey dance group standards, I suppose.
Speaker 8: But because of.
Speaker 1: You know, New York being right there, a lot of these little precocious girls, their moms started taking them into the city to get agents and managers and try to you know, do Broadway or whatever it was, commercials, what have you, et cetera. And so my sister started doing that. She she had, you know, got an agent and manager and stuff, and my parents thought, you know, okay, this would be a good way to save money for college kind of thing, and so she started. And then I was five and got a call from the same manager, and you know, just started going out. And then at one point my younger sister was doing it as well, so it was the three of us, but but they kind of stopped as they got a little older, and and yeah, I just kept doing it.
Speaker 8: And you guys are all kid actors, right, you all are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously you guys were at at minimum you guys even started before the show.
Speaker 8: I know you guys were doing it. Yeah, but actually we were, were you guys?
Speaker 5: I was in New York, So I'm guessing there were times were you and because you and I think are similar in age. So I'm guessing that you and I were probably at a whole bunch of the same places at the same time.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna throw a couple of names at you. Oh God, three of us studios.
Speaker 3: Oh God, of course, three of us.
Speaker 1: And Chelsea twelve floor oldest elevators wouldn't work, slowest elevators.
Speaker 3: They were great.
Speaker 5: Oh that was always the best when you booked something in New York and you had to go get a wardrobe fitting down at the docks at the time.
Speaker 3: Those were fun.
Speaker 5: And then shooting something at Unitel and Unitel Video at units six and nine. Yeah, so that's where I started too, was because I was from Connecticut, so it was that same yeah, that same Tri State area energy.
Speaker 8: Yep, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And you were similar to me too, because I knew there was all these city kids right at the city kid actors that were like going to professional children's school, and they would take the subway with their buddies to the audition, and then you and me would come in on our parents minivan and we'd get dropped off and we'd go upstairs an audition, and then we get back down.
Speaker 8: And we wait on the curb for our mom to circle the block. Does this sound familiar?
Speaker 3: Well, I wish, I wish that's what it was. Both my parents worked so much.
Speaker 5: I was dropped off at the bus station in Connecticut and driven to Poort Authority on a three hour bus ride down and three hour bus ride back twice a week. Yeah, damn, yeah he was. You might have been in a limo, Jason, God.
Speaker 2: Love must have been.
Speaker 8: Must be nice, must be nice to be an outlier. It's a young age.
Speaker 3: Wait eight miles from Manhattan? Were you Hoboken?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, drop, I can't believe. I mean, we were going to get out of dropping.
Speaker 1: I need to know where you were, so so Bergen County. So Hoboken is like one mile I mean that is right there. So just a little further in, like the town is called Hasbrook Heights. Okay, Giant Stadium, Giant Stadium in the shadows.
Speaker 2: Does this mean when you did Drexel's class, were you that the New York kid who came out for the network test because one one one one of flown out And you're like, oh, they flew him out from New York. He's going to get it. Yeah, guy, weren't you.
Speaker 1: Yep, I was that guy. Actually I was the guy and Britney Murphy was that girl.
Speaker 8: Ye I know. Yeah, so it was me and Britney.
Speaker 1: Brittany was from Edison, New Jersey, a couple of miles further south, and she and I that was both of our like first big l a job and we both came out. But yeah, I was the one New York guy and she was the one New York you know girl in the cast.
Speaker 8: And yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Remember Crexels Class was the show that like everybody our age wanted to audition for.
Speaker 6: It was that Matthew Lawrence that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and matt and Matthew Lawrence and and A. J.
Speaker 8: Langer who oh my god.
Speaker 5: Aj you know she's royalty now literally royalty. She married a prince, she did, she married like a prei or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, account account.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah yeah, yeah, that has.
Speaker 3: Like a title and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, crazy, Yes, that's so funny. And actually Drexel's Class. So Drexel's Class was in ninety one and it shot on what was at the time, as you guys know, very well, Mary Tyler Moore CBS Mary Tyler Moore, because that's where you guys.
Speaker 3: Shot correct for two years?
Speaker 8: Yeah, only for two years?
Speaker 1: What was when I was doing Direct We did one season of that and it was canned. But but I remember Rider my parking space, not that I was driving, but me and my mom are van, our limo, minivan.
Speaker 8: It was either near you or I remember my park spot.
Speaker 2: You blocked it one day.
Speaker 8: Sure I blocked it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I blocked it. But I remember walking past, and at this point, you guys were big hit and I remember like walking past and seeing you know how they used to have the the they used to slide the name plates in. I hit the black and white typing and I saw Ryder Strong and I was like, whoa, and.
Speaker 8: You must be are you maybe a couple of years older than me?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 8: Oh? No?
Speaker 6: Also, were you saying it was ninety one?
Speaker 8: So it couldn't have been because you guys, were you guys on in ninety one? No?
Speaker 3: Ninety three?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, who was the celebrity I'm dying down there?
Speaker 8: Else it was Rider, so hold on, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 1: So let me think about what else I did on CBS, Mary Tyler Moore. It must have been a pilot that I did, Okay, so it wasn't Drexel's class, but it was in the later nineties.
Speaker 6: I would have been ninety five or ninety six.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: So I did a pilot and I came out and I walked past Riders parking space.
Speaker 8: Did you have a BMW Z four?
Speaker 2: Sure it was an M Roadster. It was an M roaster Z the M version of the Z three.
Speaker 8: Uh huh did you get into an accident?
Speaker 3: Perhaps, Oh no, you're talking about my M three.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, my did you show the car?
Speaker 3: It was a Z It was a cars.
Speaker 1: Some I remember walking past Dans parking space with the Z three Roadster were in in the parking space and seeing I believe on the front of the hood there being a big dent, and I remember thinking, God, drive.
Speaker 2: My car to a friend who totaled it, like, oh no, no, my buddy Sean wrecked my car.
Speaker 8: That is so it was. It was obvious it was you. So it wasn't one. It wasn't when I was in. It was another time I was on Mary telling.
Speaker 2: Moore whenever, whenever, I am a pretty driver. Though I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: But copn just a cop magnet. It's so weird. They never carried drugs while driving with riders strong.
Speaker 3: It's a good, a good rule of thumb.
Speaker 6: Unless I'm with you, then you're fine to mag it gets.
Speaker 3: You out of all tickets.
Speaker 8: You're so funny. Yes, yeah, I remember it. I'm not clearly never forgotten son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always.
Speaker 8: Wanted to tell you that story. And I thought I remember we went to a wedding together. We had a mutual friend Sasha. Yep.
Speaker 1: And maybe I didn't tell you then, but I've always been I've been carrying this nugget.
Speaker 3: It's so long, so exciting.
Speaker 7: I feel like I really just witnessed something good, Like I can tell you your your soul feels better cleansed having gotten that story.
Speaker 1: When Jensen asked me to do the show, I was like, oh, will I ever?
Speaker 3: I got a.
Speaker 2: Three story.
Speaker 8: For a while, I've been.
Speaker 1: Wondering when I was going to unleash this on the world.
Speaker 7: So you're twelve when you book Drexel's class. How big of a deal is this in the BIG's household?
Speaker 8: It was. It was a pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: I mean it was our first, it was my so so before that, you know, I had always.
Speaker 8: All the new York.
Speaker 1: Will you can relate all the New York act kid actors were always like, please take me out for pilot season. Mom, dad, please take me out. And my parents were like no, Like, if you're supposed to be on a show that shoots in LA, you'll audition for it here.
Speaker 8: And book it. And I was like, no, we got to be out there.
Speaker 1: We got to be out there, please, just you know, She's like, I'm not We're not taking a month off of work in school for you to go live in the oak Wood and we're not happening. Yeah, and and so I did book it out of New York. But it was like the biggest deal. So it was my first time coming to LA. That was my first time in LA and it was like the greatest thing. So my mom and I came out and and yeah, it.
Speaker 8: Was a it was a it was a big It was a big deal and it was super fun and it was you know, we we.
Speaker 1: Shot remember those three back the box studios in the back by the river.
Speaker 8: It was Seinfeld was in the middle.
Speaker 1: I believe we're on the on the wherever one Seinfeld was in Yep, we were next to Seinfeld for that one season and I wasn't yet a big Seinfeld fan.
Speaker 8: It was like their third season, early.
Speaker 3: Ear early days, the second or third season in ninety.
Speaker 1: One, and I was twelve. I didn't quite understand it, but I went in. Me and Matthew and Joey Lawrence went in. We like kind of walked in next door one day when they were filming and they kind of let us in, and it was it was the coolest things. I was like, Wow, this set is so cool. It's a giant parking garage. And years later, you know, I was like, oh my god, I saw the parking garage episode ye being filmed like, which is like one of the all time classics on It's actually.
Speaker 5: The one that they credit for becoming The first episode that really felt like Seinfeld to the whole cast was the part they all back to the parking garage.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Me, Joey and Matthew.
Speaker 3: Such a sneaking out of the Seinfeld set.
Speaker 5: It's such a young Hollywood story from the nineties, just the best.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 8: Yeah. But anyway, yeah, Daniel, it was it was a big It was a.
Speaker 6: Big deal for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, and then unfortunately it's ends up on the receiving end of a first season cancelation. Do you remember feeling devastated or did you have some sort of understanding that this is just the business.
Speaker 8: Both.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question because I I my I certainly it was. My guy had books some national commercials right that were like, whoa, this is so cool, and so I'd seen myself on TV and my friends and like it felt like a like a big, big deal and they were, of course, you know, but this was like WHOA a TV show? This is, you know, on Fox, and there's commercials, and it's after the Simpsons and before nine oh two and oh, which, by the way, you have to really suck if you're put on after this between the Simpsons and nine O two one oh and you get canceled at the thirteen episodes.
Speaker 2: Have you watched it?
Speaker 8: Oh? Yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was.
Speaker 5: Was Dabney cool back then to work with because I worked with him not longer. Really he wasn't he was so nice to me, was he He's so.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, here's the thing. So so, and this ties into Danielle's question a little bit. So. So, right before I booked Drexel's Class, I had done a play called conversations with my father at the Seattle Repertory Theater for a couple of months, and it was with Judd Hirsh and Tony Shalub and really cool cast, and that was kind of like a big deal job for me, and lived in Seattle for a couple of months, and they were talking about bringing it back to Broadway soon after that, and they wanted me to reprise my role. But then Drexel's Class happened, and it was this, you know, I wasn't sure if I was going to be available or not. And Judd Hirsch was doing his final season of Dear John on the Pyramoult Lot at the same time I was doing my first and last season of Drexel's Class, and his series ended and I left after thirteen episodes, and the timing worked out that he was like, Okay, I'm going to go do Broadway and I was able to go do it as well. So because of Drexel's Class being canceled, I was able to I was able to make my Broadway debut.
Speaker 8: So it was this bummer. It was a bummer.
Speaker 1: It was a hike, becoming a low but then becoming a high again, all in a.
Speaker 8: Matter of the Industry Week exactly right.
Speaker 1: And so to tie into Dabney, you know, Judd is like one of the greatest guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 1: And so I came from doing this show with Judd and having a real he was you know, he's very evunculary. Was kind of a second dad vibe to me, you know, I was twelve, you know, And and Dabney was again maybe I'm I just didn't get to know him that well.
Speaker 8: He was more standoffish. He kind of seemed.
Speaker 1: A bit like the role he played, this curmudgeonly kind of teacher who didn't want to be there. He just kind of was, I don't know, in hindsight, like he was the adult in the show, a bunch of snotty actor kids, you know what I mean. Like I probably would have been a curmudgeon as well, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just got for me.
Speaker 1: I was just like, oh, he's no Judd hersh right, So I don't I don't want to speak.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 5: It wasn't warm and fuzzy, but it would be the equivalent on our set.
Speaker 3: Of Bill Daniels. It's what it was.
Speaker 5: Working with Dabney was like working with Bill, where if you took the time to go and like talk to him. Dabney was like a Virginia Military Institute guy and grew up very straight laced, but when you talk to him, especially about the industry, he would love to do that, like you know, remember when you would actually talk to Bill about stories and kind of open.
Speaker 2: If we only did thirteen episodes with Bill probably probably wouldn't have gotten that yet we had seven years and Crumpy Yeah, yeah, he was just ur grumpy guy. He was just soft underbelly enough at that point that we were like it's fine, you know, but it was.
Speaker 5: It was probably fifteen years later after I'd worked with Dabney that I was walking on Warner Brothers and I walked by a trailer and the door was open, and I saw him, and I was like I should I should say hi, Like he'll never remember me. We did a film together, but and I knocked in the trailers like mister Coleman, I don't any turn around, and went, well, no one, and I walked in it and I sat in his trailer for like an hour and we talked again. So it was like maybe it was that moment that cemented it for me more than actually working with him, but it was that's the best person to equate it to your right, if we had thirteen episodes with Bill Daniels, we probably walked walked away and been.
Speaker 3: Like he was just an old kind of app a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so maybe if yeah, I had Drexel's class gone seven years, it might have been it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you might have had you know what.
Speaker 1: I love I thank you for telling me that story, because it's like I've really spent you know, however, many years since ninety one.
Speaker 8: For the most part, if people ask.
Speaker 1: Going, yeah, he's not that great again, I just you know, got a you know, a little.
Speaker 8: Glimpse of him. So I certainly like hearing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting dude.
Speaker 7: So you make your Broadway debut as a I mean a teenager. You're thirteen years old right at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what is it like now.
Speaker 7: Doing eight shows a week with the heavy hitters that you mentioned. Were you intimidated at all or did you have a lot of confidence?
Speaker 8: I think I was too young a naive to be like as intimidating, you know. I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember the opening night being kind of nervous, but not I don't know, maybe because I had also done it in Seattle prior, but ten years later I did the graduate on Broadway which rider.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, I did the tour for Yeah.
Speaker 1: You did the tour, which we should talk about that. But I remember doing that ten years after conversations with my father and being so incredibly nervous and I don't know. I mean, look, you're stepping into it. It's obviously it's the Benjamin Bardic role. It's a different thing. I've now achieved some sort of fame. There's people actually there to see me.
Speaker 8: There's a different kind.
Speaker 1: Of pressure, and there's all this, but like, there is something to be said for when you're that, when you're young, just having no sense of You're like, oh whatever, I just really I just want to, you know, you know, do this thing and then you know, go home and you know, I recorded my favorite Saturday morning show that I want to watch.
Speaker 8: And just like your thing, You're just the things you think about are.
Speaker 3: Too You're too naive to be nervous. Isn't it the best? Yeah, you want to just go back to the time anxiety.
Speaker 2: Doesn't really exist. Yeah, if you're lucky. I mean, obviously not for every kid, but I feel like anxiety didn't enter my life until I was in my twenties. Yeah, exactly. It was like the idea of like sitting and stewing or worrying about somebody's like will you either do it or you don't, Like, yeah.
Speaker 8: You know, that's that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but it was definitely, I mean, I will say it was. It was a crazy schedule because I was still going to school and so so it was, you know, you do the eight shows from the you know, I'd wake up in the morning, I'd go to school right and then after school, come home, do homework, get in my mom's Limo mini van, drive through Lincoln Tunnel traffic, get to the city, do the play. It was a three hour player. I wasn't in the second act. I wasn't in the second act, but I had to stay for curtain call. So me and David Cromwell, who Dave wasn't in the Act one and I wasn't in Act two, so we would basically he would do his homework in Act one and I would do my homework in Act two, and then we'd do curtain call.
Speaker 8: Leaving the theater district at eleven.
Speaker 1: PM, getting home at like eleven thirty midnight, going to sleep, getting up and going to school Wednesdays. Wednesdays leave school early a little bit early to do the two show day.
Speaker 8: And then the weekends would come from school.
Speaker 1: But you know, would have four shows in the and then the weekend from the theater was Monday, and all the adults were like, oh, I'm so excited to have off tomorrow.
Speaker 6: And school full day.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the summer, you know, it was through the summer too, So even when all my friends were like.
Speaker 3: Off, how long did you do? How long did you make me?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: My god?
Speaker 1: It was it was basically it was basically all of eighth grade. So it was like the basically at the beginning of eighth grade, I was doing uh Drexel's class at that fall, and then I came back to Jersey and I did all of I did the play for almost basically a year, from like December to November the following year into freshman year.
Speaker 8: Into my freshman year, it was.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, but again, like there was no I was also just the I didn't have to, There was no other responsibility.
Speaker 5: Was there ever any talk of maybe pulling you out of school and getting like a three hour set school like a tutor or something or.
Speaker 3: Was that never even a question? You were just going to stay in school?
Speaker 8: It was never even a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, in Seattle, we I had I had a tutor, but it was I mean the Washington State child whacked or laws or I don't know if they even existed. I think I literally had like a tutor for like two hours a week. I mean it was basically like nothing. And so yeah, we just said, you know what, I'm just going to stay in school as much as possible.
Speaker 8: And my teachers were really uh supportive.
Speaker 1: You know this town is it was you know, right there outside the city, very busy populated area. But the town itself that I was, that I grew up in was really small and had one high school in school, so it was like all my teachers were very excited. I was the only one who was doing this sort of thing, so they were happy to like fat me my assignments and give me extra time if I needed it. And I was a pretty smart kid, so it was like it wasn't you know, I didn't really fall behind.
Speaker 8: Also, it wasn't the hardest school.
Speaker 1: I mean it was I just managed you know, but but it.
Speaker 8: Was definitely a workload. I mean, I remember her.
Speaker 1: I mean when I tell this story now, I'm like, oh my god, I can't imagine doing something like that as an adult, Like there's no world.
Speaker 7: And that's what I wanted to ask you, Like, we're thinking about the schedule for you, and of course for you it's grueling.
Speaker 6: You're in school all day. But was it your mom was a nurse, right?
Speaker 8: How is she? How is she.
Speaker 7: Working and managing your eight shows a week and driving you in the limo van?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, when you own a limo van, it's very easy to drive.
Speaker 8: I mean, you want to drive.
Speaker 6: Over driving Tesla's now.
Speaker 1: Practically practically it's it's you know, it's not that hard to get her behind the wheels.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, not a euphemism.
Speaker 1: So so, but she, you know, when I was I forget how old I was. It was before I did that play. So at some point when I was little, she decided to start working nights so that she could take me on auditions. Man if I had an audition, you know, so that she could be available, you know at three pm when I got out of school, if I had to go into the city for for audio.
Speaker 3: So I never put that together.
Speaker 5: You were the guy in the waiting room whose mom was sitting there in bloody scrubs.
Speaker 3: Now I get it, now, I know who it was.
Speaker 8: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: You thought she was auditioning, but no, that was actually yeah, no it listen, you know the fun I mean she didn't even this woman, she didn't even like get out of the car. I mean, I was, you know, seven years old. She dropped me off. And this is obviously before cell phones and stuff.
Speaker 2: So like I.
Speaker 1: Would come down be the elevator and go out to the curb and just kind of like look.
Speaker 8: And sort of wait because she would be circling the block.
Speaker 3: They don't understand it.
Speaker 5: I've tried to explain New York in the eighties and the nineties, like early nineties, auditioning and getting dropped off and walking the city, and these are California kids, Jason, They're just they don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was, by the way, California, I mean, sorry, New York in the eighties was also I mean.
Speaker 5: It was New York in the eighties, Yeah it was. It wasn't the Disney store in Times Square. It was there wasn't some hooker named Disney who.
Speaker 4: Didn't care that.
Speaker 8: You never heard it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanted to take it to her store exactly. It was a different time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but but no, I mean, look, I my mom is uh look and my dad, I mean there she especially during when I was doing the play, they would kind of alternate taking me into the city and stuff. So it was, yeah, I'm forever indebted to them.
Speaker 7: It was a family sacrifice for Yeah, well, was your sister still dancing and doing other things at this time or was it mainly the focus on you at this point?
Speaker 8: So she was like seven years older.
Speaker 1: So so when I'm doing conversations with my father, I am in seventh grade, She's like, yeah, she's I think had.
Speaker 8: Gone to college. She had stopped. Yeah, yeah, she had. She had sort of stopped.
Speaker 1: I think she kind of stopped when she was like maybe fourteen or something like that. And I think it was a combination of her sort of wanting to and same for my younger sister, of them sort of wanting to stop, but also just they weren't working as much. And you know, I mean I wanted to stop at some points, and I remember there were like two distinct times when I thought, Okay, this is you know, I think I should stop this. I'm like, I can't hang out with friends because I'm going on some voiceover audition.
Speaker 8: That I'm not even booking, Like what am I doing? This is so lame? And then I would book the next thing, you know, and I mean, I'm back a golf.
Speaker 3: It's like playing golf.
Speaker 5: This is the thing in the world that you hit one shot, You're like, I'm coming back tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going pro yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So anyway, it's yeah, it's a drug. I mean, it's a drug.
Speaker 2: But so when did you so this pulled you back to New York? When did you come back to LA and actually like move move to LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was in ninety seven then, so so that was yeah, so back to New York.
Speaker 8: This is ninety one ninety two, and then.
Speaker 1: Finished the play and then kind of had my rest of my freshman year, sophomore year in high school auditioning. This was one of the times when I was like, you know, I was still I was like, now I'm fourteen, fifteen years old, I'm still too young. I can't go into city on my own. So I'm still getting driven by my mom.
Speaker 8: But I'm like.
Speaker 1: Getting older and it feels a little and all of my friends, now, well, I really don't have friends because they've all this is the cue, the violent this is you know, all of my all the friends have kind of formed their groups early high school because you know, there were kind of middle school to two smaller elementary schools come together. In middle school, all the friends started forming I'm the kid on Broadway.
Speaker 3: You're describing by town. This is exactly how I grew up. It's the same thing, and this is like's so weird.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear that, like this is yeah, because it's, uh, it's such a weird, unique childhood, Like it's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 8: And so yeah. So I was like spent freshman year, sophomore year just kind of going what am I doing? Like I'm getting driven into the city by my mom, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Not booking anything, and I have no friend and I can't play sports because.
Speaker 8: God forbid, I have an audition.
Speaker 1: So I'm like not doing anything and I had I got an audition for a soap opera, As the World Turns that filmed in New York, and I'm driving into the city, and I remember telling my mom in the Toyota Previa minivan driving in it was like a gray rainy I'll never forget this. It was like a gray rainy day. And oh and I also used to get like carsick to boot on the top of all of this.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I like had like a like a headache and I was like, oh God, I'm gonna throw up. And I'm like, I'm like, Mom, I like this. I don't think I can do I got it, you know what, Like I love it. I'll revisit, you know, after high school. You know. But I think I'm gonna tell let's tell the agent. Let's just like I just let's chill on this for a little bit. This is it's kind of embarrassing. I haven't worked in a year and a half. I like have no friends. I just like, screw this, I'm gonna throw up all over.
Speaker 8: Your limo again.
Speaker 1: And uh, She, to her credit, you know, was like because I think I was a little I was nervous to tell her, not that I thought she was going to.
Speaker 8: Not allow me.
Speaker 1: It was never that because I never felt she was never like that kind of stage mom. But But I don't know, I'm just nervous to say it, maybe because I was afraid of it becoming I don't know, I just was afraid to say. And her reaction was was she was like, okay, like fine, whatever you want. I mean now, in hindsight, I'm sure she was thinking, like I'm driving you every day she use my language, sorry, like this is crazy, like.
Speaker 8: And you're not even.
Speaker 9: Bookings a year and a half since you were on real that all this time and money on you.
Speaker 8: So anyway, so she was like okay.
Speaker 1: And and of course that audition was for this you know, soap opera, and I booked it. I ended up doing it and did it for a year and and uh and and was like, okay, the drug.
Speaker 3: Thatszy schedule either, it's a crazy schedule, dude. Don't you do like eleven episodes in a day?
Speaker 8: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: So it was literally a full hour episode today. They split it into an AM session and a PM session. They would usually give me the PM session so I could go in at like one. I'd still like leave school early, but again I was still only fifteen, so i'd have.
Speaker 8: To like get my mom to do But whatever, I was like, I was back. I actually started.
Speaker 1: I think it's at what at some point during that year, I think I started. She must have they must have like signed over some sort of guardian ship I believe to like one of the producers or something so that I could I took a started taking the bus. So this was also when I felt like I was starting to become a little independent as well, which was good, and so I did that for a year then was fired, but was the was the only actor I remember I was fired. So Danielle, you were asking like, was that crazy to like have that thing where like suddenly you had this high and it was low and uh. I remember getting called into the executive producer's office of As the World Turns and him firing me, and I'll and being like whoa and thinking am I bad?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 1: I say, like, and he was saying, you know, no, it's storyline, it's this, We're going in a different direction, all.
Speaker 8: The things, you know. But I remember leaving there like whoa.
Speaker 1: Because now I'm also old enough truly to sort of process. And also my book detector is pretty good, and you know, you go, oh, maybe it is partly me, I don't you know, maybe there is something like it's funny there they brought they work because also earlier that season or that year, they had brought in a potential girlfriend character for me, or they they screen tested. This is actually a funny little aside. So they brought in four actresses for me to screen test to be my love and potential love interest.
Speaker 8: Can I tell you a little secret. I think I've.
Speaker 1: Mentioned this before, but I'll say it here. I had to kiss these girls in the screen test on camera. It was my first kids. Okay, so good pressure. Yeah, I think I can say this because she has Okay, you know what, I won't say her name.
Speaker 8: How about this.
Speaker 1: I won't say her name justin case, but I will say Okay, So I had I kissed these four actresses and they were it was my first kid. I never was so nervous, okay. And they ended up like never I think they hired one of them, but they never put us.
Speaker 8: Together like they kind of.
Speaker 1: It ended up not being a love interest for me. So I'm like, oh God, I m I must I must be a kisser or I must suck.
Speaker 2: You chemistry.
Speaker 1: Street, It's me, It's me. And then uh so they whatever. I was fired And then like a month after that, the Emmy nominations come out, and I was the only actor nominated from the shower, the.
Speaker 5: Only actor Best Kid, Best Kiss on a Soap Opera.
Speaker 10: Well, I would later go on through the Best Kiss, Best Kiss at the MTV Awards for My kiss with Shawn Williams Scott an American Pam.
Speaker 8: You know what, you know what.
Speaker 5: Were you just were you just not back on the show or did they give you? Were you like killed in a tragic blimp accident or you fail? Like did they get you the character killed off?
Speaker 1: Or not killed off? But something just as ridiculous. My the my mom in the show, and I found a suitcase of like five hundred thousand dollars of ransom money that we decided to keep ourselves and started spending on things. There's a whole episode where I am Ice skating because I decide to buy ice skates with the stolen ransom money and it's like.
Speaker 5: Every kid, kid, give me Ice skates.
Speaker 8: So I remember, so I got nominated and whatever. It's a daytime, and you know what I remember from my hugo.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but for my ego, it was like such a like okay, you know what, like because your head, you go to the darkest places. I'm obviously terrible, Like that's I'm a horrible kiss her, I'm a horrible actor and all this suff But back to the actresses. So the four actresses, I end up one of them. Years later, I'm in New York and I'm down at fourteenth Street Ace station and I'm walking and I walked past this woman and we kind of make eye contact and we keep walking and then we turn around at the exact same time and we looked back and we're like, and she was one of the actresses that I had kissed.
Speaker 8: And she's like, Jason, you know, can I tell you something like what? She goes, She goes, you were my first kids.
Speaker 1: And I go and I said to her, and I go, you were my second, third, or fourth?
Speaker 8: You were either my first, second, third, or fourth?
Speaker 1: Yes, because I didn't remember who you went first. You were either you were my first year or second, third?
Speaker 8: Fourth? Yeah. Yeah, isn't that funny. You would know her, You would know this actor.
Speaker 1: She's the sweetest, best that.
Speaker 8: Anyway.
Speaker 7: So then nineteen ninety nine comes around and everything changes for you. Obviously the script has become a phenomenon. But when you first read American Pie. Were you like, holy, this is wild. What was your impression?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah, I mean so I had gone out to LA then, actually in ninety seven, I had gone out. That's where I was trying to get to before. And I just love the sound of my own voice so much.
Speaker 8: Thanks. I am an Emmy nominated actor.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 8: It's aime whatever day time is. Still only went from the show, no big deal. And I did not win. By the way, if you case you're wondering, and we.
Speaker 7: Knew you would have told us if you did, it would have been.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 1: So in ninety seven, I get it. I get a TV show also brings me out to LA. This time I'm like, I dropped out of two colleges and this time I'm like, I'm staying in LA the show. That show was canceled as well after thirteen episodes. You're sensing a.
Speaker 8: Pattern, and but I was like, I'm staying out in LA.
Speaker 1: And then a few months after that, I got an American Pie. But at that point, it was ninety seven ninety eight, and it was the you guys were all out there. It was like the greatest time to be a teen age.
Speaker 8: After in La, every movie, every I mean, it was just like insane. I was going out so much, it was.
Speaker 1: And so I'm reading all these scripts and uh going and auditioning for them and would have been psyched to have gotten any one of them, and got closed on quite a few. And then American Pie, which wasn't called American Pie at the time, that script comes to me and I read that and immediately, did you did any of you guys read it?
Speaker 8: Like read it?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, No, it.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 1: I mean it was like in a class of its own, you know. You just you read this thing and you go, oh, oh, oh that's.
Speaker 8: What this could be.
Speaker 1: This is what it is when you like when you a really go for it, but also like have characters that are kind of grounded and have poor you know, like, oh this is what this is what this should be, you know. And I just remember reading it like laughing my off in my little room in West la sleeping on my futon, just like laughing out loud, just like, oh wow, this is this would be really great if I could get this one. And I read the role in thinking like oh, I'm cold, this is totally my thing, you know. And yeah, and so then just went through the you know, went through the audition process, and they wanted Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
Speaker 8: Uh. Apparently at first that was the name. I can tearing, and.
Speaker 1: The directors were pushing for you know, sort of no name or sort of lesser named actors and uh, which was great and ultimately got their way.
Speaker 8: And I think because it.
Speaker 1: Was a smaller movie by studio standards, they had a little bit more you know, leeway and uh. And yeah, you know, after a couple of months, got the offer to to do it.
Speaker 5: It was such an ensemble were they were they kind of putting together different groups of actors to kind of do anything together or was it really one at a time?
Speaker 8: One at a time?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 5: And they got that chemistry that isn't amazing, But yeah, no.
Speaker 8: There were no chemistry. Reads. I did not read.
Speaker 1: I did not read with Alison, I did not read with Eugene.
Speaker 8: I did not I mean nobody.
Speaker 1: It was they piecemealed this thing and and like knocked it out of the park obviously. I mean I am Eddie K. Thomas, who played Finch, who was also a New York Kid actor, so I had known him forever. He was one of those PCs kids that took the subway and had his little friend the cool kids. And I would see him on all these auditions and we kind of like nod with recognition and I'd see his name on the sign, and but we never spoke more than two words to each other. And he actually at one point was an extra in a scene on As the World Turns where I like get where I get where I get beat up in in school, like I get like thrown against the locker, and he's like the bully's sidekick.
Speaker 8: And we still didn't talk to each other. He was just like looking at me like this as an extra, and we still weren't here.
Speaker 1: And then I get passed in American Pie and I go back to New York. There's like a month, you know, between me being cast and the start of filming. So I go home to New York to hang with my friends and stuff. And I'm in my agent's office in New York and I go up to her desk and she has a headshot of Eddie on her desk and I go, oh, my god, you do you you know what's up Eddie? She goes, yeah, I wrap him, and I go, I had no idea we even had this this crazy we have the same agent. And then she goes, yeah, and as a matter of fact, he just got cast in the movie.
Speaker 8: He's going to play Finch. And I'm like, get out of here. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: I've known this kid since we were this big without really knowing that.
Speaker 8: Yah.
Speaker 1: And so back in LA I go to the table read and I remember walking in and seeing Eddie and we just like had this like.
Speaker 8: You you fifteen.
Speaker 1: Years I've seen you and like immediate best friends, immediate chemistry. And he's my brother. I mean he's he's like, to this day, my best friend. And so so that chemistry was easy. And like after Eugene was cast, we we kind of had a rehearsal day where we went in and kind of like improvised all these scenes, and the chemistry there was immediate. But it was really just like a credit to the casting director and the directors, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I mean now when I was just I'm curious when when you're shooting. Because one of the things I remember distinctly about this movie was that it was one of the first times I saw that they had done it was like an under an unrated version. Yeah, and I'd never really seen that before. So did you know you were going to do that as you were shooting? Would you shoot one way? Because I know there are multiple scenes that you that were shot different ways for it was an R rating or no rating, and so did you know that going in where it's like, all right, we're shooting it this way, and then we're going to shoot it this way, and the we're gonna shoot this way and then we're gonna shoot this way. Or are you kind of just making it up as you go along with like let's try you on the desk now with the Pie or was that already planned?
Speaker 8: Great question?
Speaker 1: So, no, we had no idea there was going to be an unrated version. And this was right before DVD. Like the first American Pie I have on VHS, and then like by American Pie two, there were no VHS. So it was literally in that period where the unrated version. I feel like the unrated is kind of a DVD thing, right, like all the extras and the unrated and all that it seemed to me to coincide with.
Speaker 8: So the first American Pie, we just shot it.
Speaker 1: And what ended up we decided to do it two different ways, not because we thought a one way is going to be less scandalous, and we'll get us the R rating and this version will save you for an unrated that was not on our radar at all. It was simply which one of these is going to be funnier? Like it was scripted, I think, standing up, But we said, you know what, what if I was actually on the countertop as well, mounting the pie like that would be funny. Why don't we try that too? And so we did it that way, not because of any reason. And so I believe in an early cut the funnier I mean there was.
Speaker 8: They were both.
Speaker 1: Funny, right, But they put it in me on the countertop and uh, and that immediately got an NC seventeen. So then they go to they go to me standing up against the counter and then turning around, you know, holding the pie, and this is true story. They that also got an NC seventeen. And basically what it came down to, my understanding is that it came down the from an NC seven, we got multiple NC seventeens, and the way we got it down finally to an R rating was the number of thrusts.
Speaker 8: Into the pie.
Speaker 1: Okay, So ultimately that was the big fight It wasn't over f words.
Speaker 8: You know, there's a standards like you're.
Speaker 6: Allowed how three or whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, It was the number of thrusts into the pie. And so it was started here and it ultimately came down to because I guess two thrusts is an R but three thrust is an EMT seventy, So amazing.
Speaker 3: How country to.
Speaker 2: A question that I that I've I have for a lot for actors in general, because this came up to me. I worked with Serena Vincent on a movie called Cabin Fever and she had just come off not another teen movie where she was naked the entire movie, like that was the joke. And then we were doing Cabin Fever and she was very nervous about partial nudity that we had to do in the movie and I was like, what, you were completely naked and she's like, that was for comedy. Yeah, that was totally fine. If I have to be sexy, that's a whole different type of pressure. And my brain just went, oh god, that makes so much sense. So how did you feel? Were you totally fine with all the nudity and sex stuff because it was pure comedy or was there part of you that was also kind of like, uh, uncomfortable or nervous about any of that.
Speaker 8: That's a great I love hearing that story because that's exactly how I've always sort of seen it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I always sort of thought like, oh, I'll do anything for a joke, like like you know what I mean, Like there's no sort of that being said. I do remember thinking the day that I showed, the day that we did the pie scene, being a little concerned because again, at this point, I mean, we had had this great past, the table we'd killed. We'd been shooting for about a week or two at that point, so we had had great footage, like the chemistry, everything was lining up the way it was supposed to line up. But there was still a part of me that thought, is this pornography?
Speaker 8: Is anyone going to see?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 1: Just? Am I like going to make a complete to myself and never work again?
Speaker 8: Just you know those young like kid like I've got this opportunity, but am I gonna blow? Like just those kinds of thoughts. And I called my.
Speaker 1: Manager at the time that morning from my trailer. I remember calling him being like, is this I'm gonna go in there and I'm gonna do this right, like I'm gonna go and good pie. And he's like, yes, you are the one hundred percent are.
Speaker 3: Multiple times from multiple angles.
Speaker 1: That's what you are going to do it, and you were going to love it and you're going.
Speaker 2: To do it for more movies.
Speaker 8: But I remember, and then that was that. Then that was it.
Speaker 1: And and I'll tell you what really cemented the exact thing that Serena said, Serena, you said, right, Serena vin said, Yeah, the exact thing where it was totally cemented for me and I've lived by it to this day and I've never questioned it again.
Speaker 8: Was I shot the scene.
Speaker 1: We did one take and we cut and there was like a half second pause and then the entire crew burst out laughing. Yes and I and and that was the moment where so many things happened for me. One, the Serena Vincent school of comedy was planted in me forever.
Speaker 8: And two I thought, oh, I think this movie is gonna yeah it be something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, this is this is actually I think this is and not because of me. It wasn't about me. It was about it was about oh, this is we are doing something that that like is I've never seen this, And all sixty three people who were standing around me right now just went holy yeah, And I.
Speaker 8: Was like, this is okay. I think we I think we're cooking.
Speaker 5: With It did something in the It also did something for people our age in the industry, where it had been we'd gotten very wholesome.
Speaker 3: By that point again in Hollywood, and this brought.
Speaker 11: Us right back to those great early eighties movies, the Animal House and Meatballs and the stuff I grew up watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High where it was like there, it wasn't pornography. It was just kind of real how kids talked and were at parties and drank beer and and we got away. Especially when we're doing something like Boy Meets World, we were the very squeaky clean and we're also on a squeaky clean night and we've got other squeaky clean shows around us.
Speaker 3: So I know that myself as an actor.
Speaker 5: When I saw American Pie for the first time, it was like, oh, thank God, it's back, and I was like, there's more back like this, Like the things I grew up watching are coming back again, and it brought it. It started that entire new generation of what young actors were capable of again comedically, and so it was just wonderfully like, oh thank god, it was like a breath of fresh air again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Great.
Speaker 7: Do you think in twenty twenty six you would have an intimacy coordinator with the pie?
Speaker 8: I think the pie would request.
Speaker 6: It that I too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you also have to look at the expiration date? How old is that pie?
Speaker 5: So it's also important.
Speaker 10: Well, I cannot believe I've made will I.
Speaker 2: Will, We'll just take it to the next level.
Speaker 3: Nice, Well, well I am.
Speaker 10: I am so happy and in the press right now because I have literally heard or made every pie joke possible in twenty seven years, and that is the expiration day age.
Speaker 8: Of the pie is when I have not heard that.
Speaker 3: Is no congratulations?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, sure, I think we've gone that at the expiration data.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's pretty great.
Speaker 7: How long does it take American pie comes out?
Speaker 6: Or not even maybe before even before it comes out?
Speaker 7: How long does it take to feel the difference in your everyday life? Like there has to be a before and an after for you? When does when does the after start?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Also a great questions kind of two times, I'd say, because actually the first real moment, I think again, putting aside, oh my god, the pipe we shot this, the crew last, Oh god, where we have something, you know, putting aside the table read that we hear for the first.
Speaker 8: Time and you go, oh, this is special.
Speaker 1: Putting aside all those moments, I'd say one that really stands out is when the Red Band trailer came out, so in like January or something. We shot in the summer and it came out in the summer. It was one year and in like that winter time they released a Red Band trailer, which, if you remember, Red Band trailers were a very big deal. Is awesome that you'd go to the movie theater and you'd see the previews and that it'd be like, you know, green giant, green screen. The following preview is rated PG, and you'd see the trailer and then very occasionally the screen would be all red and you'd be like, what is this? What's happening here? And the trailer itself was ed R and it could only be seen before other R rated movies, and that got sort of that became viral and the very beginning days of virality, and and what happened was the reason it was a Red Band was because they showed me in the Pie and I remember thinking they had sent me the trailer before it came out in the theaters, and I remember, you know, nineteen years old, going, guys, you're making a mistake here. You don't want to give away the pie scene.
Speaker 8: But you know, like like I knew anything, you know, but.
Speaker 1: I remember thinking, you don't want to. Why would you give away the pie? Isn't that the thing you want to And it turned out to be, of course, the most brilliant. It was a quick It was a quick thing, but enough to where the people in the audience were like, I'm sorry, did.
Speaker 8: He just did I just see him right this movie? Now I see the thing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it was brilliant and so so I started getting recognized from the trailer.
Speaker 8: Wow. So I remember that was the first for me.
Speaker 1: That was like the first time where I you know, it's like, oh, I think, yeah, this this this is not only something special and good, but actually could be something like beyond any of our sort of you know. And then of course that when the movie came out, like that weekend, I remember, you know, walking to get a bagel and being recognized and like, you know, well, crossing literally crossing the street and the car stopping and then rolling down their windows like Saturday morning, you know, and then rolling down the.
Speaker 8: Window and like going, hey, do the dance like that quick? You know. It was like literally, well.
Speaker 5: It's also it was written in such a way. The script is so wonderful that it's kind of one quotable moment after another, you know. I mean, it's it's in the zeitgeist where it's just it is you're you're all these little moments that that lasts forever.
Speaker 3: And it was every character. That was the thing that was so great about it was there wasn't one.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously there's people that stood out a little more, but it was as a crew, it was cutting to these different storylines, and as an ensemble cast, it just everybody had their beats and it all worked so well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My favorite, My favorite thing that I would hear in the months and even years after is it was when people would tell me who they were in the friend group.
Speaker 8: Guys in particular, you know, but like, oh.
Speaker 1: I was odds, I'm oz in our friend group, you know, like people would I because people identified with with those friendships, those kinds of relationships it was very it was very cool. Yeah, and like you know, yeah, you know, look, I don't you can't make that movie today. It's obviously a time capsule. There's certain scenes you certainly couldn't couldn't do today, but as a time capsule and as a sort of reflection of the kinds of experiences that high school kids had in terms of being more authentic than just a sort of glossy kind of you know, clean kind kind of experience. Just you know, it's sort of hit in a way that other movies didn't.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Think one commonality between all of us who got famous in the nineties or the two thousands is that at some point we all found ourselves in completely insane situations as new celebrities. Whether it's Shaquille O'Neal deciding to hold me over his head, or Writer being on the Oprah Winfrey Show talking about fan Mail, or Will writing Tower of Terror with Bill ny the Science Guy, they all sound like mad libs. Is there any Is there any insane situation that you can specifically remember yourself being in after American Pie came out that you'd like to share with us, Well.
Speaker 1: I remember walking by Writer Strong's part, I have made it.
Speaker 8: Terrible. Yeah, driver, Oh my god, I mean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you must have gone to every Maxim party and every.
Speaker 1: Yes Maxim party, every Maxim party, every every time there was a new PlayStation.
Speaker 8: I was there because I want to.
Speaker 1: But yeah, oh my god, the Maxim Party of Jesus, yep, yeah, all the things.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 1: Look, I've yeah, in the late nineties, early two thousands, LA, you know, and I was, you know, I had I kind of made a group of friends out there who were you know, we all wanted to go out and hang and party, and I partied with crew. One member, well, Eddie. Eddie was part of my crew, but the rest were kind of not actors. One was like my my downstairs neighbor at the first apartment I lived in LA, who ended up we became roommates ourselves, and he was just like our bud and became friends with Eddie to so me Eddie. This guy and then another guy who I met on a blind date. I'm gonna tell you this story because it does have a payoff. Met this guy in a blind date. His brother was working at Warner Brothers at the time, and this was like in that year between filming American Pie and it coming out. Of course, I'm going out in all these generals, right, you.
Speaker 8: Know, like I got a new movie coming out, you know.
Speaker 1: And I met this guy at Warner Brothers Greg Silverman, and he and I was, you know, new to La, didn't have a lot of friends, and he said, you should meet my brother.
Speaker 8: You'd really like if you guys would really get along.
Speaker 1: So he put me and gave me a phone number and called this guy and he's like Jason. I was like, yeah, doron. He's like yeah, He's like, listen, come up to meet me. We have a house party going on in the hills on Saturday night. I got a bunch of girls coming up from San Diego. I'm like, yes, yes, yes. It was my first time going to the hills by the way, and I was like this is crazy. But anyway, he and I became best friends immediately. He ended up marrying my wife's sister, so we are now. I met my wife on a blind date. I met him on a blind date. We were friends for ten years. Then I meet my wife on a blind date and he's my best man. My wife's sister is her maid of honor. And then they end up getting married like two years later, and now they have three boys and we have two boys. Anyway, so yeah, so it's still kind of have my crew a little bit, you know, one related now and yeah, anyway, I'm not sure I answered, what's I don't know what?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: The late the night that that that period in LA it was, yeah, it was, it was wild. It was wild, it was wild, it was and yeahs man, those.
Speaker 8: Nights, yes, oh my god. Absolutely, dublins on I mean there were.
Speaker 6: Dublin Yeah, who wasn't there.
Speaker 7: So after the success of American Pie, do you feel pigeonholed at all? I mean, here you are, daytime Emmy nominated actor, a Saison Broadway actor, and a Pulitzer Prize finalist play and now you're the king of sex comedy.
Speaker 6: Is there anything that you.
Speaker 7: Really wanted, like a role you really really wanted and you just feel like you missed out on because they couldn't see past it?
Speaker 1: Really good question, I mean, I I'm yeah, I mean, I'm sure, I mean I remember, like, yeah.
Speaker 8: I can't think of specifics.
Speaker 1: I mean I definitely there were like dramatic roles that I certainly was like, oh, this would be great, I could do this.
Speaker 8: And then just kind of, you know, not even really And but you.
Speaker 1: Know, I never sort of let it get to me, I think, because I always felt like it just really psyched to be able to get any of the roles that I know sounds so trite and weird, but like I truly I think because I had been fired from shows as a kid, I had gotten what I thought was my big break and then it gets canceled, and had that happened a few times, and like I had kind of seen that already that even with American Pie, even though it was clearly different and had set me up in a different way, I still kind of thought I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. But I think I just had a different appreciation for it. I never never took it for granted and still don't. So even though I would sort of think I think the answer is yes, you're one hundred percent, there are definitely roles I did not get and continue to not get because.
Speaker 8: I'm Jim and American Pie one million percent.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't trade it for anything, Like I'm not ever going to complain about it. I will admit to it I'm fully aware of it, and it still happens, and.
Speaker 8: I'll get I will get like I will get.
Speaker 1: Bumped still, you know, because i know I'm still carrying some of that baggage with me.
Speaker 8: But it's also like.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to be carrying the bags too, Like I have these great.
Speaker 8: Full suitcases and I'm still here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, however, many years later and I'm still working enough, and I'm you know, I can pay.
Speaker 8: My mortgage and I'm I'm like, you know, like.
Speaker 1: It's and we all know the so many people who are not still here doing what they like to do, and like so so so honestly, like the answer is, yeah, there's tons of jobs that I wish I got and that I know I didn't get because I'm Jim in American Pie.
Speaker 8: Right, But there's also job that I got because I'm Jim.
Speaker 1: In America, more than the ones I didn't, you know.
Speaker 7: So we spoke to another one of our shared co stars, mit A Suvari on our podcast, and we chatted about a new American Pie movie, American Funeral.
Speaker 6: What do you know about it? Is?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 6: What do what can you tell us?
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about America's VIP I don't. I don't, I have no I I honestly have no idea.
Speaker 8: I mean that's been sort of floated. I thought more like a joke. I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: But the idea that actually feels like it has had some legs, uh is, and it's and also because I think it's fairly obvious and I'm not going to take credit for it.
Speaker 8: I think Sean's talked about it. I've talked about it.
Speaker 1: I feel like an everyone's kind of thought about it, which is we're now at the age because in the last American Pie, I had like a three year old I think son. Now, if we made the movie, they would be that kid would be high school age, so be yeah, so so so I think the sort of if we were to do one right now, you know, I think it would be I'm Eugene, Eugene is the grandfather of my son, and then you kind of pass it off to the next generation.
Speaker 8: And that's kind of the idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talked about Sean maybe having a daughter, you know, and he's got to deal with his own you know, like, uh, his from the past. Right, there's so many factors that need to you know, it's a no brainer.
Speaker 5: It would do really well, which is why they'll never ever make it. You know, well, so smart, so smart, it makes total sense, So let's not do it.
Speaker 3: It's it's such a weird business right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the only question that I can answer with full confidence is you know, would I do it?
Speaker 8: And the answers yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, you know, And not because it's any reflection of sort of like career or what it's like. I want to do it because I think people would like it. I think people ask me about it daily, and so I know there's an appetite for these to see these characters and to see where they are now.
Speaker 8: And because it's the most.
Speaker 1: Fun I've ever had working, Like of course I would do it, you know, like forget about all the other stuff, Like I just it would be so much fun. So I mean, I hope, I hope one day it kind of all the ducks line up and we'll see.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about untitled home Invasion romance you've produced in the past. But what made you want to direct and how did the script get to you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So the script came to me just to act in.
Speaker 1: It was sent as an offer to you know, this little indie which you know, we've all gotten the indie offer. And you know, those conversations can go one of two ways, usually the one way, which is, you.
Speaker 8: Know, we have an offer. It's a it's it's no you can read it or not. I'm like, okay, thanks for getting me from my agent. You know, like I'm really excited.
Speaker 6: I'm excited.
Speaker 8: I read it. What a glowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please send it, send it to Yeah, Jesus, this is what my ego needs right now.
Speaker 8: And but this one, you know, my age.
Speaker 1: So I've been looking in earnest for something to direct.
Speaker 8: Probably for the last like five years or so.
Speaker 1: And and I think ever since I was a little kid, just being on sets and stuff, I've always kind of thought that would be fun, you know, that'd be cool and and and also just sort of you know, being a set kid and just kind of being around all these directors all these years and you just kind of learned and you just kind of get set savvy. And I kind of feel like, you know, I even go to film school, so admittedly I knew that on the photographic side of things, the technical side of things, I had a lot to learn. But I always felt like I could work with actors like I know what I want from a director, I know how I want to be talked to from a director, Like I feel like I could contribute there if the actors trust me.
Speaker 8: And but I'd say yeah.
Speaker 1: It was like the last five years or so, I've really been looking and I was attached to something that was more American pie ish for a while, really funny script. Thought I could maybe do something with it, but ultimately decided that it was maybe a little too much.
Speaker 8: Like American Pie.
Speaker 1: You talk about acting and like how I've you know, you get sort of pigeonholed, and that's I felt different. I felt like for my first directing thing, I did want to try to like hold out for something maybe a little a little different, you know.
Speaker 8: I don't know I saw it as as different.
Speaker 1: I just thought I wanted to do something a little more unexpected on that front if I.
Speaker 8: Had the opportunity.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing, is like what you know what I mean, It's like it's all about luck and timing and opportunity as well. And you know, I get a call from my agent and he's like, I got this Indian I'm right, and he said no, no, no, hold on, hold on, it's actually, uh, I think it's you'll like it. It's a really cool script, it's a fun role, and I think this might be the one you want to direct.
Speaker 8: And I was like, really okay, and I read it and he was right. I like, I fully agreed, and.
Speaker 1: And so we just kind of went back to the one producer who was attached at the time and kind of we all sort of agreed that, you know, I could, I could pursue it as as the director, and I went to some people I had worked with in the past, and we were able to raise the money and get it into production. Yeah, So it was just kind of and and and and yeah, I just felt like, you know, it, comedically, I feel like lines up a bit more with my sensibilities as they stand right now, you know. I mean, I love all comedy and I'm a I just you know, but this felt a little darker and weirder and kind of quirkier. And it's just more of my speed, I think. Now, you know the movies that I like to watch now, you know, the sort of the the Coen Brothers type that I am not. I am not a Coen brother, but this was. It felt to me like, oh, this lives in that sort of world. I like this, you know, this was kind of fun. So yeah, I'm just and then yeah, just luck that I'm able was able to like find a producer with a checkbook that was willing to back me with.
Speaker 8: No directing experience. No, you know, I don't have a short film.
Speaker 3: I didn't have.
Speaker 8: Anything to show for it.
Speaker 1: I happened to work with him on a movie that there were a bunch of kid actors in and the director was having a hard time. I shouldn't say that she she she's wonderful, but she, by her own admission, she was basically look wanted me to help her with these kid actors because she knew that I was a kid actor. So I was helping direct these kids, like giving them kind of notes in a language that I had already that I was fluent in.
Speaker 8: Right, And the producer was like, do you want to direct? Like you know? And I was like, yeah, I do as a matter of fact. And so it was that producer that I went back to and.
Speaker 1: Said listen, man, because he was like, come to me if you you know, if you have anything, and I said, hey.
Speaker 8: Man, remember months back.
Speaker 1: I said, I got something for you if you really and he was like, great, let's do it.
Speaker 8: And so to his credit, you know, he he he backed me.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, and now I've you know, I'm sure I've lost all his money, but you know, whatever.
Speaker 8: I have, I have a real.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 7: I mean, I really do feel like through talking to you that you there's like a really strong theme through your life which is like a real go big or go home, diving into the deep end. And now you're doing it by directing and starring in your own project. So you should be very very proud of yourself. You've worked with some real heavy hitter directors in your career. Do you feel like there was anything in particular you took from any one of them that helped you in this process? Any shout outs you want to give?
Speaker 1: Sure? Yeah, I mean, excuse me, the that's a great question. Thank you for asking that. I think the Weiss brothers for sure, who directed the First American Pie. I think about them a lot because that was their first movie directing. And so I've actually worked with a lot of first time directors, as I'm sure you guys have, and some of them are able to come in and sort of you know, do it and do it well, and you go, oh, they belong here, and some of them you go, oh, maybe I would do this differently or not. And the thing about the White's brothers that I'll never forget, in addition to them just being so smart and so funny and yeah, justlli and the fact that they worked so well together, was their openness and their eagerness to collaborate.
Speaker 8: They were never like we got this moving on here.
Speaker 1: There was a confidence, of course, but there was never a cockiness. There was never a They always had the attitude from what I sensed of. You are the production designer because you production design better than I production design. You are the cinematographer because you know how to shoot and I do not.
Speaker 8: And I'm going to oversee.
Speaker 1: All of this and I'm gonna but I'm inviting all of you to teach me and show me.
Speaker 8: And I'm but and so, and that's.
Speaker 1: I think huge, you know, like, because I didn't.
Speaker 8: I had a lot to learn, a lot to learn, and.
Speaker 1: So I didn't come into this going you know, I got this and or even like I mean, I definitely wanted to show a certain amount of confidence and I had confidence in some areas more than others. Like I said, talking to the actors, I felt like I had some confidence, But I also didn't want to like fake it till you make it either, because I don't think that for me. For me, I didn't think that would apply here. I would rather come into it and say, there's things I don't know, and I need you guys to teach me, and I'm going to have opinions on those things, and I'm going to ultimately make decisions based on what you teach me. But I'm not going to pretend to know what I don't know. And that was the Whites Brothers for me, like I just remember them. And also trusting the actors, like really like you know, they they trusted their casting decisions and so they were and then once the actors were sort of comfortable, they trusted them to contribute in the way that they you know, and so yeah, I don't know, they really stand out for me, I'm indebted to them for sure. Kevin Smith someone who I've worked with a bonch and just like he, you know, he everyone wants to be there. Everyone who's on a Kevin Smith set wants to be there because they like working for him. They think it's fun, they think they're making something special, you know, you know, I, uh, this is a name that I'll be very specific about, you know what I took from it. But like I worked with Woody Allen and I that's where I fell in love with the one one shot with the woner, you know, like I.
Speaker 8: Had never I in American Pile.
Speaker 1: We had done one or two sort of long wonner shots that I remember thinking, Wow, this is really really cool.
Speaker 8: Very theatrical.
Speaker 1: But then when I did the Woody Allen movie, I mean we were we did almost like there were so many wonners like constantly, and I just remember feeling so incredibly engaged as a performer because it was very theatrical.
Speaker 8: It was very you know in the pressure.
Speaker 1: Now, it was also very traumatic for me, I you know, like what he can be was very it was very nervous.
Speaker 8: It was very nerve wracking.
Speaker 1: It's a whole nother story we could get into. I'm sure I bought trauma around it.
Speaker 8: But but.
Speaker 1: More I should talk about his cinematographer that I work with, just how he put these shots together. And so I always thought if I ever direct, like I have to find space for one, I have to like find at least one you know, won Er in this and the movie untitled Invasion Romance is not very conducive.
Speaker 8: To that style of filmmaking.
Speaker 1: It's much more kinetic, and so it's the it just but we found one scene. We found one scene my DP and I that we both agreed, We're like, oh, yeah, it's this one, right, Yes, it's this one, and so we were able to do that and that was always I look forward to shooting that from day one.
Speaker 8: So that was really cool. But yeah, I don't know, man, I.
Speaker 1: Just feel like I've just tried to pay attention, you know, right, guys like you guys just been you just like even if you're not intentionally actively paying attention, you've just been on sets for so long, Like I would trust any one of you guys to direct me because you know what's up.
Speaker 8: You know you just like you know it.
Speaker 1: You've worked with people who you know not that you don't want to do that, and you've worked with the people who you go, oh that's what I should do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, Jason, you are so fascinating. This has been such a wonderful conversation. Thank you so much for joining us, and for all of you listening. You can watch untitled Home Invasion Romance, directed by and starring Jason Biggs right now on demand, rent, or purchase it on Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, or YouTube.
Speaker 6: Thank you again for being here with us.
Speaker 8: It was so fun.
Speaker 1: You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for having me. You guys are great.
Speaker 3: Thank you, it's great.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Joy the rest of your day.
Speaker 8: Well, do love to Jensen, take care of guys, Bye, take care bye.
Speaker 6: What a career I know.
Speaker 2: I love that we only covered up to ninety nine though.
Speaker 5: Guys, we still have another to bring him back because that was one of my favorite interviews we've done.
Speaker 7: I I agree, so fascinating, so interesting.
Speaker 6: So fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just I mean yeah, and there were I could tell there were endless more things I could have asked him about and stories he could have shared.
Speaker 6: We've got twenty five years still to cover.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 3: This one time at bandcamp. I bought a whole bunch of merch.
Speaker 7: Podmeets worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: Pod Meets World is n iHeart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com