Speaker 1: Do you prefer to make movies in English or ones? People in America have to read Pasha Tosh Show to show Tosh show time. How are you great? You guys buckled up, you filled up, you got you got your petrol in, you got a quarter taker more. Because we're about to go on a ride. I'm gonna take you guys downtown. We're going downtown. Okay, in my country, there there's a problem. What's the problem, you know? Hold on, let me tell you. I was singing. I was singing that song like I do. Yeah that that uh Sasha Baron Cone Uh sorry in Borat in my country, and I was singing in Dylan back there. I go, Dylan, you know this song? And he goes, I don't. I don't know a lot of the Bible songs that you sing. And I go, I go, Dylan, that's not a Bible song. This is I mean, he heard the horrific, he heard the horrific lyric line and goes, I don't know your Bible songs that you grew up on. And I'm like singing that that's Sasha bearing Cone breaking boundaries man, not not Bible songs that I learned as a child. Go tell it on the mountain. That's a Bible, songs, gospels, but he hears in my country there is problem and that problem is transport.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: I just got back from a little mini vacation that I was forced to do. My wife forced me to do it. I did not want to go. But whatever. My favorite part of vacation is when we're leaving to go home. I'm always like, oh, good going home. Yes, we went to a place that we'd been before. And when we go there, they have, uh these masseuses that come by and you get you get a BackRub. Well, last year, it turns out one of Carly's family members, uh who who were not going to say who it was, but it was a it was a cousin. It was a male cousin, uh, and he got a you know what I'm talking about, a little they finished him off. They didn't tell anybody about it either. And then it wasn't even at the end because at the beginning and then they were like and then the then the girl was like, well, do do you still want your massage? And he's like yeah, kind of He's liked just lay in his own filth and have a massage. I've never experienced this. I've never gone to places that allow you to do this. But I was blown away. And then and then after he was finished, he left. He didn't tell us. He didn't tell us this to like literally, we were going back to the same place. Hey, I remember last year when we did this. And then he told the story Amanda, his sister, I think we've all right, Yeah, you still we haven't said the name. I haven't said the name. Who it is? Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She was getting a massage right after him, so she had to go. She went, laid in her in her brothers seed. I still haven't said who it was, but you get the idea. It was crazy. Well, anyway, so we went back to this place and then we all wanted massages this year, because you know, I'm not going to miss on that opportunity. Anyway, I got a massage and nothing there was there was no there was no hint same messus. I don't know if it was the same messuits. He said that the messuse uh while doing said things. After it was finished, just leaned down right next to his ear and goes our secret.
Speaker 2: Now anymore?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's not a secret now. But again I didn't say who it was, and it's that's not important. John's not gonna get mad if I tell the story. Fine, He's fine anyway. Listen, the foreigners love me when I when I visit these foreign countries, they're just so nice. I always try to blend in. Today's guest is also foreign, Okay, from Switzerland, which, as you know, is in my top ten favorite European countries. Enjoy Casha. My guest today is a European film director whose work you've most definitely seen. If you have an art house theater in your town or a VPN where you can access Canal Plus streaming Netflix France or Netflix Switzerland, please welcome Luke.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: By the way, how do you know John? First of all, how do I know you? John? Isabella? Isabella a story as old as time? Who's Isabella? Have you known John for a long time?
Speaker 2: Five years?
Speaker 1: When he first told me that he had he goes, oh, I have this foreign director that you should interview. And I was like, for the longest time, I thought I'm not making this. I thought he said porn director. He said foreign director. It sounded like porn director.
Speaker 2: You're not the only one.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what you know? My questions might be, all, have you ever directed porn?
Speaker 2: Not yet? Would you consider it not anymore? I was?
Speaker 1: But do they have an intimacy coordinator on a porn set? That's a question I'm curious about now. Has porn gotten to that level where they're like, listen, we gotta follow a few protocols. Do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely you do? Not do do have never seen them? But my mom told me so vivid story about ghosts that it's difficult not to believe in them.
Speaker 1: Your mom was a good storyteller.
Speaker 2: No, my mom sole ghosts.
Speaker 1: She saw a ghost. Yes, And you're like, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, where are you from? Switzerland?
Speaker 1: Does Switzerland lean more French or German?
Speaker 2: German?
Speaker 1: I was born in Germany where beaupart on the Rhine River.
Speaker 2: You live there?
Speaker 1: To us?
Speaker 2: Two good memories?
Speaker 1: The best one I can still taste my mother's milk. Does everyone in Switzerland know how to ski and hide assets and offshore bank accounts?
Speaker 2: Ski? Definitely had assets. We're really training them very young to do that.
Speaker 1: Do you ski? Yep? Your whole life.
Speaker 2: Sins Am two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so beautiful burn is that that's that's your childhood home? Yes, okay, yes. Is it just a wonderful place to live?
Speaker 2: So wonderful place to live.
Speaker 1: It's a bit boring, kind of looks like a cuckoo clock.
Speaker 2: Cuckoo clock. We have one of this giant cuckoo clock, the sit clock. It's like a tower with a cucka clock and it's massive. Does it go off every hour every hour?
Speaker 1: Yes, twenty four hours a day or no?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so well.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what it's like growing up there? Was it fun? Did you have Did you have like fond memories of your childhood?
Speaker 2: I grew up so right next to the countryside, so I spent my days playing outside and the door was always open, you know, we had a We never closed our main door, so as soon as I was home, I was out of the door, running in the woods, going to swim in the river. Did you have siblings. I had a bigger brother and a smaller sister, and then I have a half brother that is twelve years younger. And then I have three other brothers and sister that are like a patchwork family. So we're seven.
Speaker 1: Do you have a good relationship with all of them? Yeah? Do they love what you do.
Speaker 2: They're not watching what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: You don't watch it. They don't watch you a project.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, sometimes like six months after I send them the link, they're like, yeah, we've watched it. My my brother in law just told me he slept in on my last project. He was like, sleeping.
Speaker 1: Do they give you notes ever?
Speaker 2: No at all.
Speaker 1: You're a filmmaker who grew up in a household without a television and never really went to movies as a kid. Yes, all right, So how did you get into this career.
Speaker 2: I love to write, I love to take pictures, and I love the theater and so so that the combination from those three mixed movie.
Speaker 1: Did you go to film school?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did in Paris. Paris when you're a student is marvelous.
Speaker 1: And you spoke, you spoke fluent French.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's my mother.
Speaker 1: Ton. Since you didn't watch movies a ton as a kid, did you like go back and watch everything when you started to get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. When I was a student in Paris, I was going to two to three movie a day and in the cinema, and I love that. Nowadays I can't do it because I'm directing and I'm working on a many projects, but at the time I was going You know, how many.
Speaker 1: Shorts did you make while you were in Paris in school?
Speaker 2: I did? Probably, I don't know. I was on forty project when I was student, and then I got assistant to the school to supervise the production and in one year probably done sixty to eighty project as a production supervisor.
Speaker 1: And the partially because you spoke fluent French and a lot of people that went to school there didn't speak French. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was in an international section and nobody he was speaking French. And in Paris, if you don't speak French, you're doomed.
Speaker 1: Yes. My My favorite compliment to me whenever I'm in Paris is that people will speak French to me and English to my wife, and I'm like, mm hmmm, yes, yeah I can. I can fake it for a few seconds and and but then they just look at her and don't even give her a second thought, just speak English right to her face. She gets mad. How do you make your way from there all the way out to Hollywood?
Speaker 2: So I spend time in Paris, I spent time in Italy where I met.
Speaker 1: My wife, and you met her on set.
Speaker 2: I met her on a set a short film I was producing. She was a PA and.
Speaker 1: A power dynamic.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, but she had the power over me, so you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I met my wife on set. Some people look down on it, but I always like, well, that's the only place I'm ever at, So how am I going to beat someone?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I have now in my contracts that I'm not allowed to be in any relation personal relationship on a set.
Speaker 1: That's in the contract.
Speaker 2: Now in the some of the contracts as.
Speaker 1: That in your contract, the producer, you say, I'm a faithfully married man.
Speaker 2: That's what I said. My manager laughed so hard.
Speaker 1: Oh, because that's not a thing that a lot are directors known to frat andize?
Speaker 2: You know, as director, you don't know other directors.
Speaker 1: You don't hang out with other directors. Yeah, is your wife still in the business.
Speaker 2: No, she's she's in the photography business. She's a photo editor for a Robb Report luxury magazine.
Speaker 1: I know the magazine. I love the Robb Report. I'm not into those things that are in there, the cars and stuff of man, is it fun to look at? How long did you guys date before you got married?
Speaker 2: Fifteen years?
Speaker 1: Did you really yes, you're a better man than I have. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't fifteen. It was thirteen. I think ten until I ask her, and then two years later it's really yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I did it for like five years and then asked, and then I got married a couple months later. I was like, yeah, well, I think once I asked, I was gonna do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were in LA so it was more complicated to organize the marriage in Italy.
Speaker 1: I got married in Italy as well.
Speaker 2: Okay was it one door?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, a little more. Yeah, but your wife is not Italian. She doesn't have all the tricks.
Speaker 1: She is no zero tricks. My wife has zero tricks. Do you spell any movie magic? And talk to me about how impossible it is to get a movie made.
Speaker 2: It's like a puzzle, you know, it's moving pieces. You need to have the good script, the good actors, and people that wants to invest a couple of millions or more. You know, it's like playing at the casino. You never know how it's going to turn out.
Speaker 1: Are you a gambler?
Speaker 2: I just directed a movie about poker, so a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you play poker? I do do you like it.
Speaker 2: My big problem is that I like to play more than I like to win. That's a terrible, terrible thing to play poker.
Speaker 1: Could I agree with you? I don't want to grind out twelve hours? Yeah, I just want to play exactly. Let's you're losing all the time. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because after two three hours you're like, Okay, come on, guys, I've seen it.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't sit for five hours. I don't. I've got a life. Yeah. We got to spend some money right now. I'm what they call dead money. What movies are you most proud of?
Speaker 2: I directed a short film like ten years ago that went around town. Everybody, you know, the big studios, lots of production companies saw it, and it brought me a lot of offers.
Speaker 1: When you do a short film, is the goal only for it to give you more work? Yes, they're not profitable, are they?
Speaker 2: No, they're not right, they're not. It's really to show your craft and how you can direct. It's a calling card.
Speaker 1: Do people ever turn shorts into feature films?
Speaker 2: Yes, they do. They do often. Wiplash. You heard about Whiplash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Whiplash it was a short before it was a feature. Let me tell you some about Damien airstream. Guy that built my airstream built his airstream. Okay, there's weird connections around here. Do you prefer to write the films you direct?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, It's more rewarding because it's really your baby.
Speaker 1: Are you calm on set?
Speaker 2: Very calm?
Speaker 1: And do do you get worked up? Do you like to go to battle? Do you like to fight against people that are giving you notes? Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, when they're giving me notes, I'm fighting when I don't believe in it. But you know on set it's the best way to direct is to stay calm because you're basically getting so much shits thrown at you all the time. If you're starting to panic or to scream, your your, your your, your team will not follow as if you stay calm, they say they see you calm and concentrate it, they're gonna come with you.
Speaker 1: You yell at them in different languages.
Speaker 2: Most of the time not yelling at them, And when I have to choose the language that hit them.
Speaker 1: Your relationship with an actor, when they're not doing what you need them to do or the way that you envision it, how do you tell them what to do? Because see I've never learned. I worked on a small budget TV show that went for years and years, and I never had the patience. So I would just always be no, no, I need you to do that like this, and I know you're not supposed to do that, but I that wasn't what my show was about, so it didn't matter. That works well, But you can't. You're not allowed to tell actors.
Speaker 2: Yes you are, well the secrets. The secret is, you know, do whatever you need to do to make it work. Learn the language of an actor, and as you said, nuts, tell them exactly what they should do, but tell them what you want them to do in a way that they understand that they can do whatever they want, but exactly what you told them.
Speaker 1: To do, and that works.
Speaker 2: That works.
Speaker 1: Do you prefer to make movies in English or once people in America have to read?
Speaker 2: I like it in English because I think it's a language that really suits good dialogue. So that's that's really the fun. To do it in English. I think French is, you know, so elaborated language that the dialogue, the quick and snap, snappy dialogues are not as funny as in English. My goal was once now let it behind to do a language in every movie, in every language.
Speaker 1: You're talking about just the major languages, not not some of these small tribe languages.
Speaker 2: I mean, why not? Why not dialect? You know, Swiss dialect, Switz.
Speaker 1: That would be wonderful. I, as a gotten older, just love for movies for subtimes, because I can't hear to begin with. So well, when I read a movie, at least I get to hear every little thing, although sometimes it's a bit distracting because sometimes you're not supposed to hear everything. Do you care a ton about audio in your movies?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I tell Dylan this all the day. He is he the way he treats this podcast. It's like they may hear you, they may not. Yeah, I think I'll do. It's fifty one percent of a movie. What about music score? You pay a fortune for that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't pay.
Speaker 3: I get paid, but if we, if we could, you know, I'm always trying to get the producer to really get the best music.
Speaker 2: But when you want a specific song, then you have to pay a lot.
Speaker 1: Is the money in Hollywood? Is it? Is it going to dry up? No?
Speaker 2: They invest tons of money in a Yeah, are.
Speaker 1: You worried about Ai? Are you like constantly learning about AI or no.
Speaker 2: I'm not worry about it. I mean, yes, I'm worried about AI in a more general scope of our life, but not for movie making. I think it's gonna replace a lot of our jobs. But that's with all the new technology. And I think it's a technology that is here. It's not that we can stop the trend. So it's here, so you better learn how to use it. And my big fear is about the ethical side of how to useing.
Speaker 1: It's I don't worry now. I feel like now I can just deny anything that somebody says I've done. Yeah, I didn't do that. I took a photo at a party with a friend of mine recently and I had a sour face, just like just suck. And he just sent this to me because I didn't post this anywhere, but I just wanted to show you. He took this photo of me and aied me like jumping up from the photo a two dimensions to now I'm dancing and I'm just like and I'm like, are you out of your none of this happened. I'm like, oh, well, I can't wait for the judge to be like critics, do you what's your relationship?
Speaker 2: I love them, especially when they're trashing my.
Speaker 1: Art. Do they matter anymore at all? Yes? A little bit, Okay, yes, a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think people read still read about before watching a movie. There is so many movies to see that they want to know a little bit what the people think. And the first thing that comes if you google it's some critics.
Speaker 1: Do you think films now are way better than they were in early Hollywood?
Speaker 2: Not at all, I sink.
Speaker 1: I sink people don't think they're better.
Speaker 2: No, I think they're different. You know, it has to go away different with the time, and right now a lot of films really feed the platform, so you need entertainment, entertainment, entertainment, and I think there was a period where we had less films but more substance.
Speaker 1: I always think of a comedian friend of mine, Nick Schwartz, and who had a bit and he talks about people that complain about movies today, and he's like, if you were to take somebody from the fifties and let them watch one of the new big budget movies that comes out now, their head would explode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have a stroke.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's the nonsense that we can do now is just remarkable. Do you hate the big American popcorn movies?
Speaker 2: I love them?
Speaker 1: So you would like that call, like, hey, we want you to direct this next Marvel piece of shit?
Speaker 2: Marvel maybe not that's you know, but you can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in your opinion, who's the greatest director of all time?
Speaker 2: Obrick? Yeah, yeah, you've seen some.
Speaker 1: I've sure all of them. I've seen all of them, haven't I I've seen everything. What's your favorite movie of all time? Though?
Speaker 2: Best movie of all time, not.
Speaker 1: The best movie of all time, just your favorite to watch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Demoliti man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is absolutely right that I could have never guessed. That was the poll I was gonna get. You said no to a Marvel movie, though? What big budget movies are you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: You're okay with you? Like I get why that's that's made, and I find it entertaining or not even entertaining, but you're you're okay with it, June, that's the level. Yes, Yes, do you like all sci fi stuff? I love it. I can't wrap my head around most of it. I watch it, but I'm just asking questions the whole time. Thankfully, my wife is a nerd and she fills me in. Just it takes a team effort. What are your thoughts on the movie Interstellar?
Speaker 2: I would have to watch it three more times to tell you really what I think. But it's ask more questions than it gives answer.
Speaker 1: Of course it does. It's maddening at the end and bat shit nuts and made me angry for watching it. Do people love Interstellar? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They do, definitely.
Speaker 1: Oh god, damn it.
Speaker 2: Two thirds of perfect movie?
Speaker 1: What two thirds of it is a perfect movie?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Two thirds of it is a perfect movie. I'm okay with that statement, as long as we're all agreeing that the final chapter is batshit bonkers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Okay, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: Did you see the winner of Best Picture this year?
Speaker 2: I know right? Yes? Did you see it? Yes, I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Did you love it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did you think it was pornography?
Speaker 2: No? No, no.
Speaker 1: Oh that's because you're European and you're so open minded.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I was like laughing watching this. I'm like, this is amazing. I mean now I felt like I was being in a like a dirty strip club. I was like, this is crazy. I can't imagine watching that with my parents my in laws, sure, but not my parents.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: It's just real life. It was the best picture.
Speaker 2: No, I just agree that it's the best picture. But I think there is something very interesting in the movie about how he sees the young generation compared to an older generation and how their biometers of having fun making money is completely different than ours or an older generation. And I think for that it's very a very interesting movie. And then it's fun. Like you said, all right, it's super fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun. I said, porn, but yeah, that's fun. Were you as disappointed as I was by a Mawana? I? My son and I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Do you let your son watch movies?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, but slowly, you know, not too many any screens. Let's entertain him and let's educate him, because I think you know, a movie and screen is an education. You know, you need to know how to read images as much as you know and need to know how to read letters.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're not going to be one of these parents that has a child and you don't let him watch TV at all.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Well, so many of these people in Hollywood. You're like, oh, they make their living. And then I go, we don't even have a television for a child and like, what, Yeah, by the way, do you will you just leave your your son and wife for like infinite periods of time when you work or do you bring them with you?
Speaker 2: The last project I did in Europe, it was so short noticed that I had to go right away to correct a TV series and they stayed here. I would love to bring them with me most of the time. That life is different. So last project, it was five months, oh two and a half months.
Speaker 1: It's like military, Yeah it is. It is leading Sam.
Speaker 2: And it was a four years old kid. It's it's difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you want to be a father? I am a father, I know. Did you want to be one? Yes? Were you scared of that?
Speaker 2: Not secured that some anticipation? You know, how is your life going to change? When you have a kid? You're thinking a lot about it when it's happening, and then suddenly it's here and you're like, okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Now now I'm responsible for this person. Yeah, does he look like you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not?
Speaker 1: Are you sure it's yours?
Speaker 2: Not? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: That's how I am. I'm like ninety percent positive of my daughter, but I'll never really be that ten percent unless I test. Yeah, but I don't think are you Are you done? Are you gonna? You might go again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We have one. We're happy with one.
Speaker 1: I wanted one, but and we didn't get what she wanted, so we had to go again.
Speaker 2: See that's that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Your wife is Italian?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Does she think Italy is the greatest country in the world?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: How many languages can you speak? Four?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: Something like that? That's impressed? Okay, how come the number keeps going up?
Speaker 2: Define? What's speaking?
Speaker 1: Can you get to a restroom? Can you order in a restaurant? Those are all the things I care about?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Can it be nice to locals?
Speaker 2: So Spanish counts?
Speaker 1: F Mary Kill? Do you know this game? You have to marry one, kill one and the last one f someone Copla Kubrick Spielberg.
Speaker 2: I should marry Kubrick? Do I continue?
Speaker 1: You have to? Who are you gonna kill? I just know?
Speaker 2: Okay, I just got the game kill? Tell me the name is again Spielberg. Yeah, yeah, kill Spielberg. Okay, horrible.
Speaker 1: It's a horror game. Everybody's on the show gets a gift, but it's just stuff I find around my house. Okay, and then I just give it to them and they have to take it. It's the rule.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now the first thing, by the way, I don't even know if I get to watch watch, but I do have some bourbon whiskey for you. Yeah, okay. Now, this, by the way, is from my friend Jim gaff Again. He's a comedian. Yeah, and he and he he's an actor. Here's a lot of stuff, but he keeps sending me Birdman and I'm like, I don't even he knows I don't drink, but he knows I'll plug it. So now I'm giving it away father time. There you go. You get some and that's a special reserve or something. Now this gift that I'm going to give you, thank you. You're welcome this gift that I'm gonna give you. I just had a birthday. Happy birthday, thank you. That's all I want. You're a grown man. You just say happy birthday and you're done with it. Okay. My manager, uh, Christy, she got me something that was ridiculous. My agent. I put her on the spoty, so are you? She didn't give me anything? Then she sent me this do you fish?
Speaker 2: Not yet?
Speaker 1: Okay? I don't even know if I don't even know if it's for fishing. She sent me this life jacket. What am I gonna do with this thing? It's like it looks like it's for fishing. But I'm like, I go, I I don't want this.
Speaker 2: Are you offering it to me? No?
Speaker 1: No, this is your gift. Yeah, you're gonna love this. It's got pockets. That's beautiful and all right. I don't know what it is. I'm sure it's nice.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wear it on sets.
Speaker 1: I figured you're directing something like you bring your own one. It's got pockets. You put all your things in there.
Speaker 2: I'm going to direct to filming the mountains and it's gonna be so useful.
Speaker 1: I got this for your son. Oh this is no. This is a metal detector. Let me to make sure sure it works. I don't want to give you. Okay, yeah, my wife that works. Look the reason I don't want this for my son, he used like, was I'm like, now he's bringing we go to the beach. Now he's bringing more junk home. I don't want junk. So instead I swapped him with a long grabber. We pick up trash, throw it away. Get rid of get rid of the metal detector so that you and your son can bring home. The size will adjust.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna bring it on set.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's your son's that's your sons.
Speaker 2: It's a good for me.
Speaker 1: Come on, I got more for your sons. Despite the fact that this looks like it's been used, it has not been used. My son just rips it. It's it's a track you put it. The reason I don't like it?
Speaker 2: Why are you offering the this is?
Speaker 1: This is the show off? The show is I get rid of stuff? The reason I like this? Since when did cars that need batteries? Do I have to get a tiny screwdriver to take the the thing off? If it has the tiny screw I'm not doing it. So as soon as I saw that, I go, son, you're not getting this toy. I'm not opening up something to put a battery with the bridge For two seconds, No, I couldn't get it back. I couldn't get the bridge back in the box.
Speaker 2: Did you ask your son?
Speaker 1: No, he's not, he's not. He doesn't have a choice. Okay, Hey, he's got a great life. He doesn't need that. Your son's gonna love that toy. Love it here?
Speaker 2: Get that?
Speaker 1: Get on? Then I got you this. I don't know why I thought you'd like this. This has never been used. You need a step ladder now this step butter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I need that.
Speaker 1: This step letter is great.
Speaker 2: I'm bringing it to on sets.
Speaker 1: No, no, you're not gonna bring this one. But this one brand new, never been used. I have the exact same one. I said, why do we have two of these? My wife didn't know why we needed to, so I said, okay, one of them is gone. I'm getting ridy, and you're a director, so you Yeah. This ladder. It's good. It's a nice ladder. It looks sleek, it's good for the house.
Speaker 2: Uh, love it is? Your wife tall love it? She's okay, she's well.
Speaker 1: She might appreciate a few steps. That's there's no way we can keep that in front of the camera. Hold on, guys, come over here. She's gonna scratch the walls up. Luke's gonna scratch the walls up. When do you When do you leave for your next project? July Force on our Nation's holiday, Our Nations Independent? Do you love it? Fourth of July? Is that one of your favorite American holidays.
Speaker 2: Uh is it the holidays? I'm working all the time.
Speaker 1: How did you? Yes, it's a holiday. We have hot dogs, You eat a bunch of hot dogs. You have fireworks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the fireworks.
Speaker 1: What's the most confusing American tradition that you've experienced?
Speaker 2: Columbus Day?
Speaker 1: Do we still call it Columbus Day? Or do we lump it into something else? It's now it's indigenous people. I think I think you get where we went. We made a mistake. We were celebrating the wrong side for a while, and then we're like, hey, let's change it. What's your favorite holiday?
Speaker 2: M my birthday?
Speaker 1: That is not a holiday unless it fall by holiday it should. When's your birthday?
Speaker 2: December nineteen?
Speaker 1: Oh, what a horrible birthday? December nineteenth, right up against the big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just take a break from the fifteen to the thirty first, and that's a holiday, that's all.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of party and it's a lot of separate gifts to buy you. I'll get you something nice. I'll get you a matching ladder, something step stool. Are you easy to shop for?
Speaker 2: No? No, I like I like to keep them to have the bare minimum. M hm. So like keeping the bare minimum. So now that I have a ladder, it's like you.
Speaker 1: Got a ladder and a metal detector. That's it, that's all you need.
Speaker 2: And a saving jackets. You know, it's like what give.
Speaker 1: For three years? Now you call it a saving jacket?
Speaker 2: How do you call it?
Speaker 1: Like we called a life jacket? But I like saving jacket better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you like to be on the water at all?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love it. I grew up sailing.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be the best life jacket. I couldn't have picked a better gift for you, exactly. He loves sailing. By the way, do you know how to do a lot of not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm learning again to do notes. But I'm like, I'm like dyslexic. So it's always not.
Speaker 1: Are you really dyslexic? Or do you say you're dyslexic? Y? How does that affect you on set?
Speaker 2: On set? Not that much? But for example, the reading, you know, reading the scripts when we're at the table reading, I can't do that because I can't focus on reading and listening to the same time.
Speaker 1: Do you work with the same team of people that are like aware, Like, okay, he's a yslexic, dyslexic, so we have to you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the team is even worse. Oh, you know, they're all dyslexic, and this goutter conditions are you getting? But you're getting rewrites and pages thrown at you constantly. Yes, reading is not the problem.
Speaker 1: The thing is reading and concentrating on how people are doing. Yes, table reads. Are actors supposed to be giving it one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: No, not at all, Okay, not at all. It's just to feel the vibes. And because they're actors, they're getting into it very quickly, you know, they enjoying at the beginning, they're just reading like that and that slowly they're getting into the character. And so most of the time it works, they're getting there.
Speaker 1: I'm an awful actor, and anytime I've been given an opportunity when I do the table reads, and when I when you show up to the table read where you're practicing the script for people, I would just I would put no effort into because I was so embarrassed in front of other people to be like reading the script. I just I couldn't. I couldn't turn on the the charisma at all. They probably they probably furious, but then once we get to the set, that's when I really lay an egg. That's not good either. Explains my career in film started and ended with the Love Guru. But your father is a hard doctor holds the record for bringing a frozen person back to life? Now, is that the record the most frozen people? So basically your father Jesus No, okay.
Speaker 2: No, no, he just invented a system to rewarm people that work super well. Okay, and that's what she's doing for years now, and he's bringing people back from dead.
Speaker 1: What was the one? What was the record holder?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She was she was trapped into a ice cold river between ice and her body was in the water and they brought her back to the hospital and I don't know the numbers, but she was really really cold. Her body was her bloody temperature. I think thirteen degree cells us is considered that.
Speaker 1: You're like, it's a lost cause.
Speaker 2: Yes, and with his technique they brought her back to life.
Speaker 1: That's kind of that's a good day's work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You gotta feel it, right, Like when that's what you do for a living, You're I go, well, I save that person's Like did you ever see the movie in Sino Man. No, I have a oh man, that's the same premise they've found a frozen cave man. Brendan Frasier. I believe, uh huh, I can't believe they were running the watch mccolton reverse that day. Nobody Paul short reference. It's been too long. It's been No. I haven't seen in Sino Man in twenty years. Where's the goal? Where would you like to if you could live anywhere full time, where would it be?
Speaker 2: I would spend my life between Los Angeles and Italy probably, you know, six months in Italy like drinking wine, eating good food, and six months in LA working on developing my projects.
Speaker 1: I like that. I don't know if I would do the same ratio, but man, the food, the food in Italy is just worth it. Have you have your son been to Italy yet?
Speaker 2: Yes? We're going twice a year.
Speaker 1: You go twice a year every year? Yes, right, you're almost living your life.
Speaker 2: Almost, you know. Now, it's just having a stated career here and there, and then I can do six months, six months, six months.
Speaker 1: Everybody that loves Los Angeles, we just want to be able to leave it for half the year. That's everyone's goal. It's like, yeah, we love it here, but we don't want to be here the whole time. That's ridiculous. All right, well listen, Luke, I appreciate you coming by and all the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Pasha, Thanks Luke. What a nice guy. I'm going to go home in all of his shorts. That doesn't sound right? Yeah, well you know what I mean. Yeah, I actually I am looking forward to his poker movie. What's the name of the poker movie?
Speaker 2: Dead Money?
Speaker 1: Dead Money? What's that come out? It's out? That's out. Yeah, I'll watch Dead Money. How long is it?
Speaker 2: An hour and a half?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll watch it. Gambling movies, if done right, give me the same anxiety of actually gambling, like I can get I can it scratches the itch or makes me want to sneak out of my house at night and head over to commerce toash show store dot com. Get some sweet merch. Come see Eddie and I do stand up comedy. Please come to my show. All right, we're gonna do a free plug. Go ahead and hit the free plug music. We're done doing free Plugs's do one more. This week's free plug is for trucky Thursdays. Oh, that's a historic downtown trucky, California. I do that twice a year usually, is all you can talk me into doing it. You know, they shut down the main street downtown truckye and all the businesses, uh you know have some some crafts, some fair going on in the street, and they got food trucks sitting in a parking lot melting. It's way too hot. Eddie, you always come, you join me. You can find me there usually early getting some nachos with my kids. We're we all just find one table and and we don't let anyone come to it. Tables are are They're in high demand. You got to get there early to get a table. But I don't let anyone else sit at our table, just my family and Eddie's family. What do you usually eat there? Do you know what's your favorite future? One time I got like a little a little hand roll from that sushi joint. That was pretty good. It's good. Should I read this? Oh there's live music, yeah, licensed alcohol area. I don't even go to the alcohol area. I do. Where's that? It's just on the other side. Now I gonna go to the other side. It's a weekly event. It's every Thursday. It starts at something like five o'clock until eight thirty. Usually I can make it to five thirty max. Ough Now, just thinking about it, maybe I don't want to go. You're gonna go. I know I will go. I'll go once or twice. Hopefully it's not too hot.
Speaker 2: It gonna be hot.
Speaker 1: It's a must do if you're up in Tahoe area this summer. Come on over to Trucky Thursdays. I'll tell you what I'm looking forward to. This cinnamon roll the Damn Cafe. That's the best cinnamon roll in the lake. Now. I love Tahoe House Bakery and I love I've already talked about my favorite kkery. But for a straight up cinnamon roll, the Damn Cafes cinnamon rolls pretty great. Also, like the little coffee shop behind downtown Trucky. They got a pretty good cinnamon roll they're frosting on. It's a little different, though, you gotta be in the mood for that. It's a lot. Yeah, I'm gonna get fat as fucked this summer. H What are we talking about? Okay, Trucky Thursday. Yeah, come on, buys, buy some buy some something from their artists and vendors, a wide variety. There, you have a good time, summertime energy. See you next week.