Speaker 1: The Patriots are back on the practice fields after two days off, they get ready for joint practices with the Indianapolis Colts. Let's break it down.
Speaker 2: Welcome everybody to the Patriots Training Camp cast presented by New Balance. And yes, we had a weekend off, we were back on the field today. Intensity dialed down a little bit after a bunch of padded practices in a row. Paul would say, this was, as you said, walking off the field, maybe putting things in place to have a good practice tomorrow against the Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it looked like to me, was some prep work for what they're going to see with the Colts. That looked like the first offense and defense were working separately against you know, some of the backup players. My inference there would be that they were probably running against Colts stuff on both sides. I thought the tempo was a little slower as well, even when they did you know, ones against ones. Later on, a lot of red zone work with that, some two minute stuff, some situational work. So all in all, you know, kind of uneventful, but you know, you got to have the you got across these days off. It's coming together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say, most of practice was at best three quarter speed, like they weren't going full speed, but first scout team type of stuff. As Paul said, I thought of really training camp and not only the practice tomorrow, but a lot of these guys are obviously going to play on Thursday night in the preseason opener too, so you don't want them going and completely cold without knowing at all what the Colts are going to run and what they're going to do. So not a full game prep like you will see in the regular season, but they at least get a little bit of taste of what Indianapolis is going to bring here tomorrow, so you know, a couple of highlights. Carlton Davis being back was exciting. It was good to see that, but for the most part, it was more about participation attendance than what actually happened.
Speaker 3: I was a little surprised to see Davis based on what Mike Grabil said on Friday about not seeing him till the end of next week. Maybe he meant more in terms of, you know, the full full Carlton Davis because he did little more than positional stuff today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Christian Barmore as well, that's the second practice, he's missed. Charles Woods wasn't out there Kendo wldor taking his snap. I thought he had a couple nice plays there down in the red zone. Also thought of Eli Reraredan gets some chances. The two tight ends set down to the reds out end were caught, some caught some passes there from Drake. But again a lot of rotation going on with these guys, so it's hard to like, you know, really discern who's rising, who's falling, all that kind of stuff. But it is obvious who's getting the chances With Drake Man, I think that's what's you know, most important. But Eli Reridan, and we got to mention too, of course Hunter Henry signing a two year extension today reportedly, So rare it In now in the mix. Maybe I think we'll probably see a lot of him over the next couple of days, you know, tomorrow, and then into the preseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it is. You know, we keep talking about the cliche of you know, rere it In is more of a pass catcher, you know, Arkin is more of the blockers. So you're starting to see now when it's two tight end looks and it's rared In and Henry. It's probably spread, you know, maybe some some some passing going on when Arkin's out. There are a lot of first downs that we've seen in these team periods have featured Tan or Arkin. Obviously you're looking more to the run game, so probably looking to get some of those trends bucked a little bit, figure out some ways around it. But yeah, I think reard In has made some slow but steady progress, if that's fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would say the same thing about Romeo Dobbs. There's a little baby steps each day. It's not, you know, Gangbusters quite yet, but I think that he's getting a little bit better and better each day. And I see Drake May figuring him out a little bit more. You know, he's more of a strong at the catch point, go get the ball, put it on him type of player than what they had was Tefon Diggs, who is more of a route runner and separator. So just a little bit of a transition there in that zerole. But I see every day Dobbs kind of getting a little bit more and more comfortable. I thought he had to highlight a practice at the end over Christian Gonzalez in the back of the end zone. That was a really nice catch, maybe his best play at camp to date. And I thought that he got behind Kendallvilledor, but the ball was thrown a little bit inside. If that I had been on his outside shoulder, I think that might have been a deep ball too. So a little bit of flash from Romeo Dobbs. I know I've been small sea concerned about it, but I'm getting you know, it was like twelve size pomp. Maybe now it's like ten. You know, you get a little bit smaller each day, which is what you want to say.
Speaker 1: It helps when you make a catch over Christian Gonzalez, but again, you know, just showing up. And it's a good sign Paul too, because he missed a couple of days. We don't know exactly what Michael Vverbel said. It was a good thing, personal thing that he was not out there. A little worried briefly that he was maybe hurt, but seemed like he picked right back up and is building some momentum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would agree with Evan's assessment. I thought he was he was open at times and then he made plays that you show that that kind of physicality that he has at the catch point and the one in the end zone. I was not quite as impressed, but almost so with a little two minute work, very end of practice, catches a little sideline route on you know, back shoulder kind of a route with with Gonzalez again, you know, tightly in coverage. You know, Christian's been pretty physical in his coverage. That's doobs his game. He's able to sort of show his strong hands on those soul I would agree I arrow up on Dobbs.
Speaker 1: I know it wasn't full speed too, but it seemed like they were getting a j brown away from Gonzales a little bit today and he was having on maybe a little bit more success, especially you know on the crossers and stuff. But he continues to show up overall. I think we're watching for, you know, is Barmore probably not going to be back out there tomorrow. Will Campbell was back out there today, so that's a good sign for his participation tomorrow. I'll just say right now, you know, him and Lomu two pieces I'm really excited to see tomorrow. You know, not just the one on one stuff, but the team stuff as well. How do they hold up against you know, real NFL competition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that Lomu right now is in a little bit of a competition with Marcus Bryant.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 4: And I know that people are going to say, oh, he's a first round pick versus a seventh round pick, it shouldn't be a competition, but that's where we're at and Marcus Bryant today, it's kind of a left tackle day for Caleb Lomu. So Marcus Bryant taking a lot of those Morgan Moses snaps at right tackle, and Moses was, you know, load managing or whatever we want to call it.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 4: I thought in one on ones Lomu looked a lot better. He's three and oh today, but he was at left, which we know he's comfortable at left. So the question is is, you know, how does his development on the right side catch up to where he's at on the left side. But Marcus Bryant continues to be in the mix for that swing tackle job, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well that's going to do it for this Monday, Big Day Tomorrow, joint practice against the Indianapolis Colts. Gates open at nine pint fifteen. Here we'll be live on the radio nine forty five to take you into that practice. If you're not able to make it down here, but if you are, get your butt down here. It's a great take going U against the Indiapolis Colts. The players are excited finally hit somebody else.