Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done.
Speaker 3: Hello, that's messed up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Liza Traeger, I'm Kara Klank and every week it's SVU, it's crime, it's guests, and it's chatting.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well right now I'm getting texts from my niece and all caps. I love everything. Thank you so much. I literally screamed when I opened it. You know, I got her the v Man Connor Story magazine. But of course I got her. You know, I got her a catnet magazine. I didn't know about this, but the bookstore that I'm friendly with they have a cat Nip and a horse Girl magazine for teen girls.
Speaker 1: So I got her cat There are magazines for girls that are enthusiasts of cats and horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so one is called Catnip and the others called horse Girl.
Speaker 3: Oh I go, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know if I have a horse girl in my life. Of course I have a horse girl in my life. I'm sending it today.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't know any horse girls, but horse Girl. It's also a band, right, there's a band called horse Girl. I have no idea. I have no idea. I mean, I didn't know about this man. They're from chag until yesterday. Honey, all girl band from Chicago. Oh all girls.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know, I don't know about bands, but sorry, I knew she would love it. I love the postal service and I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: Congrats to Nissi for getting a nice gift.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 2: And she has my dad's old Flyers jacket, which is like, I just love from the nineties, and wow, he got it because with that warehouse of fashions, it's not like we knew what the Flyers were.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I like this.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, you know, even a broken clock is right twice a day, right, like sometimes you stumble onto some fashions at the old.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what I wish we still had. I had a Ninja turtle sleeping bag. Oh what I would kill the fucking habit.
Speaker 1: The colors were so vibrant, so vibrant.
Speaker 3: Low, are you what's up? You set off?
Speaker 4: Pod?
Speaker 3: That Rosie started baseball, right.
Speaker 1: She's starting she had to do a she had to do a evaluation, which I was like, oh no, this is gonna be really bad because she's.
Speaker 3: Like never played before.
Speaker 1: But it was literally like just running to first base and she was she can do that. Like so we're seeing you know, they have them do an evaluation.
Speaker 3: I think I call your daughter this bitch.
Speaker 2: But Rosie is gonna have so much fun sliding and like running. I think she's gonna get dirty and have a good ass time. Yeah, here's the thing. I'm trying to figure out what to do about her fucking hair. She won't let me tie it up. Her hair's never tied up, it's down, it's longer than ever, and would she could she do you know, like like an around headband just to get it out here and then it can just flight because early hair and sports do that.
Speaker 3: They like, yeah, they just head band or like sports headband the curls.
Speaker 1: But like it can't be anything too tight, so then will it really keep the curls.
Speaker 3: I'm like, if the coach tells you.
Speaker 1: You have to tie your hair up, you have to tie it up, And she said okay, she said okay on.
Speaker 2: That because even this, like this might well she can't do plastic because that's injury prone.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, she also wouldn't. She also wouldn't. She's so sensory with like her different. She wears baggy clothes, the hair is down.
Speaker 2: I'm with her, I wear baggy clothes. Yeah, can she What about a banana?
Speaker 3: What about? What about this? What about gripping it like this? Oh I've tried.
Speaker 1: I think even the teeth of those looks looks scary to her.
Speaker 2: But listen, she's down on her side, my fucking soul cycle teacher today, hair down, flowing. She's a maniac.
Speaker 1: I can't when I see people working out with their hair down, I'm like, how are you doing that? Like I just can't have it a minute. I can't have a strand on my neck or I like can't breathe, Like I just I don't know how people are doing it. But anyway, she's going to do baseball. That's gonna be exciting. I don't know what else go.
Speaker 2: Back, because like we still go to the when we played sports, we'd go to the athletic like trainer's office and we would take like material that they make lubricant things out it. We would we would like make hair ties out of fabric that they had at the athletic office. But it wasn't foam, but it was some sort of material and we like would tie it behind and we like loved using their materials for our headbands.
Speaker 3: Interesting, that's what's.
Speaker 1: In my head.
Speaker 2: And it was soft. I just I have to contact an athletic trainer. I don't I don't remember what it was. There was like a roll of somebody. It was what to wrap the ankle with. It's like if you were wrapping your ankle, you would wrap it with this material and we would take like it like not.
Speaker 1: Like an ace, but the thing that's like it. It heathsives to itself in a way.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's foamysh Yes, but not but yeah, So we would make headbands out of them.
Speaker 3: It's like what they give you when you give blood. They like wrap it around your arm.
Speaker 1: I'm tattooed. I can't really give blood. I'm like constantly, Oh my god, that's still a rule. I think so, I I think so. But I'll give blood if they want it. I mean, I'll do it. I always just you guys want it. They want it. They're calling me every other day. I've had to block the Red Cross. I'm like, guys, I'm giving on a regular schedule. Yeah, I'm like, stop, I'm giving on a regular schedule. Stop calling me. They call me the two days after I've given. I'm like, that's actually against a medical advice. What okay? Well, so yesterday I went drinking at like happy hour.
Speaker 2: And then on switching bars, we stopped at one of my favorite little trinket stores, little gift stores, little pop culture, little sticker stores. I go in, I get a bunch of stickers, and the woman working goes, wow, you got all the new ones. I go, honey, I'm a regular. I come to She goes, yeah, you grabbed every single new one. I go, I know what I'm doing here. So yeah, it was like an exciting day, and I came back. I came back today to get more. Did I get on Olivia Benson? I sure did? Olivia Benson sticker? Oh that's a good one. Miley Cyrus sticker, Taylor Swift, Oh my god, about two I'm sick.
Speaker 3: Okay, death becomes her sticker. Wait, do I have that sticker? I think I have that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure I gave it to you, but it's smaller, it's smaller size.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then this is the this is look it looks like little training cards.
Speaker 1: It's Shane and Ilios sports cards. Well I bought a few, so yeah. And then it's them in their turtle necks or turtle neck outfits. So pretty exciting, pretty exciting at the sticker store. But then I went today and I showed her. I was like, you like keat a rivalry? She said, yes, I showed her my Simpsons things. She said, she's going to spread it through let people know about it. Have you been dipping in to I will tell you one of two controversies I've been following away with on the internet.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. One is the Lindy West stuff. Have you heard any of this? Yes, I've had two friends.
Speaker 2: Actually texted Ashley Hamilton of Good noticing is going girl. I made your input immediately. I just got the text in Julia read an article about I mean, we're looking. I'm not going to read it. I heard that's I heard upsetting things. Yeah, I heard upsetting things. Well it was interesting to me because and I'm sorry you couldn't see the stickers, guys.
Speaker 1: I only showed Kara it is what it is. They're exactly what you imagine. They're the stickers that you're imagining, like you know they are. I mean those they're like little trading cards ones are really cute like but yeah, so I like have read Lindy for a long time, like not her books, but I would always read her Jezebel and I really liked Shrill and uh that's you know, her TV show that's based on her book.
Speaker 2: And to me as a stand up she was always annoying because she like went after a few people for jokes that she just it wasn't good points. I remember how on Camal Bells show, who I think is annoying too, but like they were arguing about stuff like the jokes she had an issue with bothered me.
Speaker 1: But maybe yeah they're back. I like I remember being annoyed by her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the gist of it for anyone that doesn't know what we're talking about is like she's this like blogger who was like very popular in like the aughts and the ten Jezabel years, the Jezebel years, like big feminist blogger wrote the book Shrill that was made into a TV show with Adie Bryant, on Hulu. Then she's wrote written this other book. So what happened essentially was her husband cheated on her, and then when she found out, he basically was like, oh, I need to be Polly, and I told you that when we first got together, Like I told you that that I want to be Polly. But then he just went ahead and cheated, Like being Polly is not just going but I told you a while ago I was interested in being Polly, so I can just kind of enact the Pollyism whenever I want. That's not really how it works. So then she eventually so he was like, so this is my girlfriend. Now either take it or leave it, essentially, and then she eventually ended up. And I'm paraphrasing guys like I'm not like the historian on this issue.
Speaker 3: She eventually got in touch.
Speaker 1: With the girl and then they started they basically started a throatle like they so now they're in a throat ble and what people they wrote this book together or he wrote this book. She wrote this book, and he's like, I'm very instrumental in the book. I'm very important to the book, like I helped her.
Speaker 3: The whole way. And it's like, but then you didn't.
Speaker 1: See that this was the backlash was going to come from this, that people think that you're a piece of shit because you cheated on her and then you kind of like held her hostage in the marriage to do Polly with you like or that people. He basically says that if you're I think, he says. So. Anyway, they went a podcast referenced the book and said some stuff about him, but I guess was pretty fair and was just kind of like giving their honest opinion, and he wrote her a really shitty email telling her how fucked up it was that she wrote all this bad stuff about him, and like obviously she yeah, because people don't like what happened because it doesn't seem like and she read the email on the podcast do It Oh whoa, Which that's why.
Speaker 3: That's what intrigued me.
Speaker 1: Was like like getting people into your podcast via gossip, like you know what I mean. Like it was like they basically said, we got an email from this guy after this interview.
Speaker 3: If you want to hear it, it's on this week's episode.
Speaker 1: And so everybody was like racing to the episode to listen and to read this, to hear this shitty email about.
Speaker 3: This do you like, what is it? Who was it?
Speaker 1: It's called I See Why am I? Or in case you missed it, Slight's podcast about internet culture.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so the way did you listen? Did you know the email? What is the email?
Speaker 3: I can read the email.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my friend just said it didn't seem like she really wanted this, and that it seems a little desk or like sad to stay in the thing that you're forced into that you weren't into, and like.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Even the social media posts that he does of the girlfriend versus how he treats Lindy seems different, like I don't want to speak on just hear sating.
Speaker 1: He also like really centers himself, like he talks about how like the book, he was so instrumental in the book being written, Like he makes it about him like this man is a jazz musician, Like I don't think he makes like I'm just saying like I don't think he this. I think Lindy is his provider, like and then he has to bring in like this other person like I'm not against Polly.
Speaker 3: I have friends that are like it's totally fine. I'm against it.
Speaker 1: I'm against it, you're against May go on the record that I'm I'm very against it personally.
Speaker 3: I yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like there's other people, like, there's other ways. Like to me, I don't like the word. It's like you could just fuck a lot of people and be cool, Like people are just cool.
Speaker 3: Polly is losers.
Speaker 1: To me, it's like like that, Okay, you don't like what the name, what the word represents, but like to me, you're a loser, and we're thinking of a particular person I know we are, and I think he's a loser, and I think he should stay home with his wife and childs okay, and not be going on dates with random people.
Speaker 3: It sickens me. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: Listen, Well, there's open and then there's Polly, Right, Like, so what is it? Because open carry into open because that's cool people, that's cool. Open is cool. Yeah, yeah, Polly is. You're playing like weird little games.
Speaker 2: You're playing Settlers of Catan, you're at a little you're having Chai Ti lattes, and you're doing weird sex. Like I don't I'm not interested. But I also know this other couple. They're always having threesomes and the girls seems really upset about it, and I'm like, I don't think this is like what your life should be.
Speaker 3: She's like, yeah, the girl was so hot. I hated her.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's crazy that that's your sex life. Yeah, like you should also be like, oh she's hot, let's fuck. Like like cool people fuck each other, Polly. People need rules and discussions and Greek mythology brought in. Like I don't get it. Yeah, write me a d give me a one star. I don't give a fuck. But I mean, like I'm open. You should have the right to do whatever you want. Yeah, you can do whatever you want it. Yeah, I don't think it's criminal. I'll support I will I will die for your right to be able to be Polly.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm holding my hall out of my stickers. Yeah, I'm organizing way to eating rivalry stickers, calling these people losers.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Basically, he's mad that people are like boiling him down to a cheater, and like, I mean, I think in one forum he said that like if you're anti poly, you're racist.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: He's been saying wild shit and his sister I didn't realize is the woman who wrote So you want to talk about Race? That book that like was very popular, like around the pandemic, like twenty twenty. Oh, okay, anyway, I think it's like you can do whatever you want. I think that people directly feel that this man is like, has narcissistic tendencies and sort of back door guilted his wife into getting into a poly relationship. Now they're all kind of trying to present that they're happy in it.
Speaker 3: I just think it's.
Speaker 1: Wild that nobody along the whole process of writing a book, which as I can understand it from friends who have written books, is a long process with drafts and editors and a lot of people weighing in, and nobody was like, this is gonna come off really bad.
Speaker 3: Like nobody they are.
Speaker 1: Actually she's probably denial too.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The cover is weird.
Speaker 1: I'm just I don't know. I don't know, but that's what I felt.
Speaker 2: Re talking about the thing I have known nothing about, but I guess I found a.
Speaker 3: Way to do well.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit of it was a little bit of goss on the internet that's been taking over my life. But then also the Chapel Rome stuff seems to be like really blowing up about the soccer player and Jude Law's daughter. It's not Jude Law. It's Jude Law's daughter. I thought it was a soccer guy. It's soccer guy's stepdaughter. He's dating Jude Law's X. The girl, the little kid is Jude Law's daughter. I don't know if Jude has entered the chat. I like don't know actually if Jude has weighed in at all.
Speaker 2: No, but this one video where it's like, listen, I saw Chapel Roone like shove a woman on a carpet that like worked for like a pr woman, like a young black woman. Like I saw the video of her shove and that's when I was like, I don't really like you, Like I don't like you shoving a person. You know, she's gen z, she whatever, she annoys me in whatever ways. But someone was like, no one from the Epstein list.
Speaker 3: Is a band. The mayor is like, you'll never come here again.
Speaker 2: It's like everyone's a rapist, every man an athlete, like go fuck yourself. Same with like the bachelorette stuff. It's like, okay, she can't have a show. Of course, the domestic violence is serious but it's like all athletes beat their fucking wives like fuck you, Like I will never think a woman is worse than a man. Ever, men are worse. And so it's the Catherine Heigel who ended up being maga and weird, Like, I don't I think Chapel Rone's annoying. I don't know what's gonna happen with her? Is she the most annoying? Was it security?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I just would rather hate on like men. Yeah, yes, important to me and fucked a nanny. That's he should be banned from Brazil. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's so true.
Speaker 1: Everybody's been saying that, they're like wow, like Taylor Frankie Paul is getting I'll be honest, but you also.
Speaker 3: Don't have to be famous.
Speaker 2: Someone I saw this online and we talk like if Taylor wants to be seen, she's seen. She doesn't want to be seen. Guess what, we don't see her. Yeah, So it's like Chapel, you don't want to be famous. You don't have to do the red carpet. Julia Roberts doesn't do the carpet. People don't do the carpet. So like, if you don't want to be famous, babe, you can enter through the back.
Speaker 3: Rihanna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at Sea. Sea's there behind that wig. Get into it. So I don't like, you don't get to screw. Oh look everyone's taping. It's like you're going to a hot spot dinner. Paparazzi are there and if you don't want that, go order in.
Speaker 3: Bitch.
Speaker 2: You're rich, you're rich, hire a chef. It's a little it's a little annoying. I'm a hypocrite. I just said we shouldn't yell at women like this, but.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's getting to a point where it's like we're hearing more about your need for privacy than we are about your archistree.
Speaker 2: I love that it's Jude Lah's daughter. Honestly, where's the Bengo cards? Like, I mean, it's so crazy. I always say, my dad Young looks like Jude Law. Like, my dad Young looked like jud Law. Oh really, it was a hottie. You go get some photos on the gram. I also was also Chapel was in the Sorry Interrupts. Was in the Hannah Montana special that I watched last night at three in the morning. Really, yeah, they have to sit down and Alex Cooper does the interview. I mean it was hard for me in a lot of ways, but I loved it. I missed Tannah Montana. I was just like, too old. I was like, I missed it. I did too. I came in for bangers, but I love her. I love her, so of course.
Speaker 5: I watched it.
Speaker 3: No, I know, you're Miley, Miley for one. So today it was so hard to get up.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to, but I was up, and I go, just get to soul Cycle, get to the weed shop, get to soul Cycle.
Speaker 3: You could do it.
Speaker 2: And the only thing keeping me through is Rachel loves Miley, and I go, she's gonna play Hannah Montana. It's the Miley Day.
Speaker 3: I show up. I go, girl, Miley or what because there's O'miley on the playlist?
Speaker 1: I go, are you on in your mind? I go the special came out last night. I go, what do you think I'm here for? And she did put one in for me. Thank you so much, Rachel shout out. Thank you for changing your plans, Rachel, thank you. She wrote Karen Guice instead, She's like, but listen, she made a mistake. At least she took accountability. She owned up to it.
Speaker 3: Wait, I know you are not really like a Mormon.
Speaker 1: Wives person, but I have been like what back to what you were saying before? This is like really crazy that the Bachelorette. I'm like confused about what's happening with the Boucherette because they hired her knowing that she had this domestic violence incident that she pled guilty to in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: They hired her knowing that, and then it was like he leaked the video. This man, I mean, she's guilty of her things. He is I think toxic and shitty as hell, this man Dakota. But he leaked this video to TMZ and now the show gets lost. I don't get it, Like why is ABC acting like they didn't know.
Speaker 2: Some people are saying the show never happened, it's all pressed. Some people are like they're losing one hundred million dollars, like everyone has like all these theories. I'm just so out of the universe that I you know, I saw the video. It's horrific. But like also the guys that were in it, like it is just it's all weird choices but.
Speaker 1: It's really weird also that this guy just sat on that video for two years.
Speaker 3: Just kept it.
Speaker 1: Of course they've been he's he's been on the TV show, he's done scenes with her, he's you know, like he's been doing life with and then waited until she was about to have a huge moment and released it. Like that's But also I heard there's like a new incident between so they need to just say they need to be like fully not allowed to be near each other. But ABC acting like they didn't know what was up is so weird to me. But everybody's like, this is millions of dollars in lost revenue and lost like expenses, So I don't get it. I think they're going to release it. I think they're gonna wait for this to die down and release it. Also, one of the contests on The Bachelor, one of our friends wrote this to be in a text thread goes also, did you guys know that one of the contestants on The Bachelor is the guy who was in the car accident with Madison Cawthorne, who is a Republican congress person who's paralyzed from the waist down. And I was like, I'm sorry, what like are you like? I was like, what is where are we living in? One of the recent contestants on The Bachelorette was in a car with a congressman when he was paralyzed.
Speaker 3: He fell asleep at the wheel. He was seventeen.
Speaker 1: He was driving the bachelor contestant and the guy, the congressman, had his feet up on the dashboard and they got into a car accident and that's why he got paralyzed. And at first he said that his friend left him there to die in a fiery inferno, but then he walked that back and now they're friends. And now the bachelor guy was at his inauguration party. Although that guy's like not even in Congress anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Wow, we're starting the episode. This is a two because we got to start. We gotta start.
Speaker 3: This was a really juice you kind of gossipy intro, just intro.
Speaker 1: We had to shout out to everybody who's been telling me that provigil is an actual drug.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I have received your messages and I stand corrected. I really didn't even look it up. It just sounded too made up to me, Like so I thought it was fake, but it is a drug I guess for ADHD and narcolepsy, so yay to that. Also, you guys can go to Thats messed up live dot com for merch. We've got our Lewis Luise Lewis Lewis Louis shirt on sale.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Somebody took such a cool picture in Saint Louis with it. I posted it in our stories, but I love the people from Saint Louis are wearing that shirt too, because you know, were happy to multipurpose.
Speaker 3: Also, we're having fun.
Speaker 2: With someone in Vermont and their mom's name is Lois, and I was told that people are fucking up her name left, right and center.
Speaker 3: So I'm not a shirt. I'm not a shirt for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're having fun over on the Patreon. We have cool interviews coming up, some true crime stuff, some more comedians. So join us over there if you're interested in that patreon dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash that's messed up. Yeah, we gotta get moving. That's got to get moving.
Speaker 1: I got stickers to organize. Okay, we're doing great Expectations. Season eighteen, episode eleven.
Speaker 2: Is I wonder why we picked this one. I wonder why we picked this one.
Speaker 1: This has a little bit This is int the zeitgeist with Casey actually helped shepherd this one to our attention. It's a little bit about about the hockey world. So we open in a hockey rink and young team players are just slapping that puck around. Parents are in the stands, cheering, but also looking angry and stressed. I just I'm having a hard time putting myself into a like carrying that hard weather. Your kids like like game, like they win their game. But I think that's why I'm not destined to be a support parent. But Rosie is about to start baseball, so we'll see what happens. Okay, So these teens are slapping the puck and Kyle. We hear kids going go Kyle, Go Kyle, and Kyle's heading for the goal. He passes to his teammate Jack, who sadly does not score.
Speaker 3: He boofs it. Everyone looks bummed.
Speaker 1: The moms in the sands are like, great, now he's gonna be upset, and the other mom is like, no, we win as a team.
Speaker 3: We lose as a team.
Speaker 1: And the dads are acting like, you know, all their happiness lives and dies with pee wee hockey or whatever the fuck this is. And the actor playing one of the dads is known to me. He was the dad in The Killing, which I was like a big fan of. I watched like to both seasons of The Killing, or maybe there were three. I think they're only two, which was like a true crime show, not a true crime show, like a crime show in Seattle or like Coastal Washington.
Speaker 3: It was just so rainy the whole time. But we loved it.
Speaker 1: And we think that this actor looks like our friend Sean Donnelly, who's a comedian, had a baby with Louis c K. So whenever I see him, I refer to this man as Shawnie c K. So Shawnie ce K's real name is Brent Sexton. And this man is working. He has one hundred credits. He's been on Bosh, he's been on Deadwood. You have seen him. He is out there and he is talking shit about the kid who missed the shot and his own son, Kyle, like Kyle shouldn't have passed, he should have taken the shot. And as the team gets off the ice, the dad's all like change their tune and they're all like, yeah, go white Caps. You guys got it. But Kyle and Jack look devastated. Okay, they look like, you know, you just killed their mom in front of them. So in the locker room, the coach is like very uninspiring and flat.
Speaker 3: He's pissed. He's like, I'm not gonna say anything else about the game. You know what you got to do.
Speaker 1: Practice tomorrow at noon, come ready to work. And after the coach leaves, two kids get up and starts screaming at Jake for missing the shots. They're like, what the fuck, man, you choked? And then Kyle breaks in to tell them to chill out, and Jack looks bummed and sad, you know, like, but Kyle is like, leave him alone. Stick. So we're thinking, oh, Kyle, star of the team, nice kid. But now Jack is leaving the rink with his mom and his hockey bag that he looks like he could fit two of him in, Like it's twice his size.
Speaker 2: And it's like skiing but ten times worse, like so much equipment, and it's smelly because you're just like in I honestly, I think if your kid's a hockey kid, you're being punished for sins from your past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because rinks are only open super early, like baseball diamonds. You can get to those lots of different times of the day, you know, like rinks you have to be like it always feels like hockey so early in the morning. The shit smells because you can't just throw that stuff in the wash like you can like baseball pants or like whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like equipment, But I'm pro equipment. I don't want anyone getting a concussion anyway. So's so much work, Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: So I mean, that's why do you stand up? You need nothing. You really need nothing. If they even if all your luggage gets lost and you truly insane, you could still do it.
Speaker 3: Get up there.
Speaker 1: Even if there's no mic, which I hate when there's no mic, you can still do it.
Speaker 3: No, I let hey, you could really do whatever.
Speaker 2: Like I the idea of having to tune an instrument and then do a sound check and a rehar like I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we do do sound checks for our last shows. It's just I do them, okay.
Speaker 1: So Jack is like walking with this massive bag and his mom's like, god, you move like molasses. You're always the last one out. She's like, it's like, Mom, relax, the kid just like fucked the game. Kind of not that I agree with that. I think like I've always heard, I think I've said it on this podcast before, everybody's like for it to get well, No, I guess that's why you don't blame the goalie for letting a goal in, because it's like for it to get to the goalie, it had to get through all of you first, Right, But if you miss a shot, that's just you missing a shot, I guess. But you know you miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take. As they say later in the su Well.
Speaker 2: Since I've been reading some hockey books, I will say that and a time to Shine, it's.
Speaker 3: About like.
Speaker 2: A goalie and like he saved forty and two went in, like forty shots he saved, right, Yeah, it's a lot. So it's like even if you let too in, it's like so impossible to do a full shutout. But yeah, it's the whole team. Like that's why loose dads shouldn't coach stuff. Yeah, needs to be people that understand like sportsmanship, working together, working as a team. You don't blame people all for what Like there's just like really great lessons to learn in sports, and these dads shouldn't be there.
Speaker 3: I think loose dads shouldn't coach. Stuff is merch to be honest. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Jack is like limping a little and the mom is like, did you get hurt like in the game, and he's like, I'm okay, and then he just fully collapses on top of his hockey bag on the ground and the mom is going to help him and she notices blood on the seat of his pants, like and she's like, where is that coming from?
Speaker 3: And you know, it's says to be so we know nowhere good.
Speaker 1: At the hospital, Careesy is filling in Benson that this kid is Jack Wilson. He's thirteen. He plays for the New York City white Caps. And Benson's like, what the fuck is that? And he's like it's the best used hockey program in the state and that the doc says that Jack has tearing in his rectum caused by a blunt instrument like a hockey stick. So Carise goes sounds like a hazing and Benson goes, no, that sounds like sexual assault, Like we got to start stop calling things. You know, sounds like a date gone wrong, sounds like a hazing, Like no, it's sexual assault, like somebody assaulted someone's body.
Speaker 3: So then it's credits.
Speaker 1: And now we're at Jack's hospital bedside and he's trying to downplay what happened, and his mom uses his first, middle, and last name and demands he tell the cops who did this, and Benson's like, mom, back off, like let me work my magic. I'm Olivia Benson. And she's like Jack, like, tell us what happened, and he's very I don't know, I don't remember. I just fell, you know, like lie lies out the wazoo and Cariese hears him out, but then kind of like, oh, Cariese's like, okay, okay, so what you're telling me you got this injury from falling on the ice that led to rectal trauma, like you know, he doesn't say it like that, but it's like he's basically telling him, like I'm listening to you, but we gotta be realistic here, and Benson's like trying to be so gentle. She's like, you know, if you want to talk later, that's okay. We could talk later. And then Suddenly Jack zad arrives and the mom lays into him immediately, like he just had to be on the white Caps, huh like, And Benson brings the Bickersons outside and they keep it up, and the mom's like, I never even really wanted Jack on this team, and the dad's like, I was a white Cap when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: He loves it. And then he takes a.
Speaker 1: Dig at the cops, being like, well, he doesn't need two cops hanging around and crease. He's like, your son was sexually assaulted, and the dad's like, no, the doc said he's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be fine. It was a prank gone too far.
Speaker 1: It's like who sees their son bleeding in the hospital from his rectum and says, this is a prank gone too far, Like I don't know, I mean, unless you were like trying it, unless he did it to himself.
Speaker 3: A jackass scene.
Speaker 2: Did you see like hazing photo or video that was very weapons coded that came out like a month or two ago. No, it was just like I think it was an iweb but it was like all these frat bros just standing in a corner Blair Witch weird and it's like, yeah, like frats like haze these guys and then put them into submissions so they continue protecting each other forever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, they have these secrets and weird things like dude, guys just need to fuck each other so we don't have to.
Speaker 3: Live in there.
Speaker 2: Like it's just like you're paddling like I don't know what you're raping this boy.
Speaker 3: Like you're like I can't, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 1: It's like how they say in scientology, they do your audit and then they keep it that they so that they can like keep you in. Like frat hazing is like it's like, yeah, you can leave the frat or you can tell on us for doing something bad, but we have photos of you, like naked eating mayonnaise on all fours. Like when I was in college, all the frat stuff that I've heard chat go to the chat, go to go look. Everything at my college for hazing that I ever heard about was food related. It was always like you've got to eat like a vat of mayonnaise. You got to eat all this nasty shit and it was okay, wait, oh I don't like this, so weapons yeah, but I've partied in basements that look just like that, and I feel really gross right now. Okay, a party that's like, I don't know, I know, it's creepy.
Speaker 3: Raise your kids not to want to be in frats. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then as they're talking to this dad who's like, it's just a prank, Kyle and his dad Shawnee c k slash Jim.
Speaker 3: The dad's name is Jim.
Speaker 1: They walk up and we find out that Kyle is the star of the team, and Benson's like, did you see anything in the locker room and he goes, no, it was quiet. Everyone got dressed and went home, and he also says he also says, no one gave Kyle a hard time about the shot.
Speaker 3: They're a team. We win or lose, we stick together.
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, I mean he's covering for his friends obviously, but it's like people did.
Speaker 3: Give him a hard time.
Speaker 1: You could just say people were like saying some shit to him, but I guess he didn't want to, you know, give suspicion on anyone else. And Benson goes to give Kyle her card. This is like such a subtle moment that I just happened to notice. Benson goes to give Kyle her card, and the dad grabs it, and Benson kind of clocks it and makes this really subtle, like what's your deal kind of face. So the dad's like, let's get you in to see Jack. He'll be so stoked to see his best friend. Right, That's what like Jack's dat is saying. So Benson says, someone had to have seen something in that locker room. So now she sends the gang over. So at Hudson's Sports Complex at Hudson River Piers, which is just like exactly Chelsea Peers where they shoot this show, Rollins and Finn are talking to the coach and he's like, this could have been someone from another team, or it could have been a white Caps player from a different division. There are ten different divisions of white Caps, separated by age at skill level. And the coach thinks that none of his kids would do something like this, that's so stupid and jeopardize the big championship that they have coming up, Like they always go to make it to States and they wouldn't do this, And they're like any troublemakers on the team, and he goes, they're all troublemakers. They're thirteen year old boys, and then Finn presses on him a little bit more. He narks out these two kids, Timmy Brown and Will Harris. The boys call them the Bash Brothers because they get rough, but they wouldn't do something like this. It's a violation of their contract, which is a code of ethics that they all signed. And it couldn't have been a white cap. So all right back at the precinct. Live comes in asking where are we at with these Bang brothers, which I thought was funny because it's the Bash brothers, and Finn goes like McGuire and Conseco, and then Cariese goes no like read importman silence, and he goes Mighty Ducks two nobody like no one's picking up on his Mighty Ducks two reference.
Speaker 3: And then the kids he goes, these kids have.
Speaker 1: No record, they signed the contract, and then rollins pipes in like, oh, I got something from the ring security footage and it shows two boys leaving the locker room like haul and ass out of there, and one has number twenty six and one has number nine, and then ten seconds later Jack comes out and number twenty six and number nine are Timmy and Will aka the Bash Brothers aka the Bang Brothers, and so she's like, bring him in. She goes, this wasn't a couple kids playing grab ass. We need answers, So like that, okay, what do you say. Yeah, we're talking to Will Harris now and he's with his mom and he's telling him, well, I look, I don't talk to people after games. After we lose, I'll get pissed. I don't speak we left early. I left early. And then they show him the footage and he's like that's not me and they're like, your number's right there and they're like, that's your number.
Speaker 3: Spill right now.
Speaker 1: So we cut to Timmy with his dad talking to Creasy and he's like, we only stayed to make sure Jack was okay, and then Timmy goes, it wasn't our idea, like we held Jack down, but he made us do it. He went crazy. I've never seen him like that before. He was like an animal, and they're like you keep saying he who is he? And then we cut to the knock knock, knock on the front door of a house and done Dunne, it's Kyle Turner opening the door. So Shawnee c K's son The Star of the white Caps and Jack's best friend.
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 1: Kyle's mom and his older brother Adam and younger brother Mark are there and they tell the mom, Helen, that they need to talk to Kyle and they need all of his hockey sticks. He's under an investigation for assaulting his teammate. And she looks at Kyle, and Kyle looks like, what like confused and clueless, and that's the end.
Speaker 3: Of Act one.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you something crazy. Okay, This actress Helen. Okay, the woman who's playing Helen the mom. Her name is Amy Spanger, who get this, was married to Michael c. Hall for four years before he was married to deb Aka Jennifer Carpenter, who I just found out is currently married to one of the Abbot Brothers, which is her Abitt Brothers. They're like a pretty famous, like bluegrass duo that I have a lot of friends that listen to them.
Speaker 3: And Amy is like a Broadway musical girlie.
Speaker 1: And after they got married, he was a shit billy Flynn and she was Roxy. They were opposite each other in Chicago together after they were married, but the marriage was only four years. And she's also been in another SVU called PTSD, but I don't remember that episode perfectly right now, and I write in my notes she I'm sure she's a beautiful woman in real life. The makeup department is working hard to make her look haggard in this episode, right, like they're really like they make her look very tired, very like this life it's been hard for her.
Speaker 3: Life's been hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like up at the rink and she's there's been issues for her for sure, Like she's not I don't think we see her smile. So anyway, interesting little factoid about her being married to Michael Seahall and then he married I.
Speaker 2: Knew the Michael sea Hall story because he like loves to end up with a co star, but I didn't realize it was this woman or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's pretty exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in Cement Roombars at the top of back two, Kyle's mom is like sexual assault, not Mi Kyle classic. Benson's like, well, we have witnesses that say Kyle was the main aggressor.
Speaker 3: And then Cariese's like, let me talk to Kyle. Let's talk hockey guy to hockey guy.
Speaker 1: You like Wayne Gretzky, h y number ninety nine and he's like, uh yeah, like hockey's the best spot ever.
Speaker 3: Like he's ear to ear while he's in.
Speaker 1: A full bars holding cell like in derogation room, and he's like, what if your whole hockey life just went away?
Speaker 3: And he's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: And he goes, this is a violation of your contract and Helen is like, you can't kick him off the team and it's like, bitch, do you even realize that this is like a crime the team And ben Sin's like, we could do worse.
Speaker 3: We could throw his ass in jail. And Kyle's like I might lose hockey, no way.
Speaker 1: And then outside Jim Turner arrives and the dad and he's like Rollins greets him. He's like, where's where's my son? And they're like you know, and he's like, I want to take Kyle home. And she's like, well, we already got your wife's consent to talk to him. And you see this guy, He's like no, no, no, no, no no no, like I decide what happens with my son me, Like, my wife cannot give consent for anything my son does.
Speaker 3: Like I'm the boss, right.
Speaker 1: So we're getting there, you know, SV's laying their breadcrumbs, and Benson arrives and Jim is like, I don't care what my wife said to you.
Speaker 3: Kyle is not talking to you. He's got too much to lose.
Speaker 1: And they're like, well, we have two witnesses that saw him assault his teammate.
Speaker 3: And he goes, I don't care if you have two hundred witnesses.
Speaker 1: He got the wrong kid, and Jim threatens to call lawyer and Benson goes, you know what, that's okay. We'll get your son right now for you, and Rollins says like, we're gonna just like turn this kid loose, and Benson goes, well, the lab tested all the hockey sticks. I love how fast all the testing happens on the show. The kid has been in the custody for two hours, and they're like, the lab's already back. No DNA on any of the hockey sticks. They got nothing to go on. So he must have ditched the stick that he used to do the assault. So she wants Finn and Rollins to get the truth out of Jack first thing the next day. So now talking to Jack, telling them, you know, Rollins does her things.
Speaker 3: She kind of bluffs.
Speaker 1: She goes, we already know, like the person that did it already told us, like what happened, and they kind of tricked Jack into saying that it was Kyle. And the parents are gagged, gooped and gobsmacked like they cannot believe it. They're like, Kyle his best friend. Dad says, forget about the team, just tell them. And then Jack said, I'd never seen him like that before, and then Rollins's like who, and he's like Kyle, So they get the confirmation that they need and he's like he was like a whole other person.
Speaker 3: And then Timmy and Will grabbed me. I couldn't move or fight back.
Speaker 1: Kyle looked at him like all crazy with a stick in his hand, and then he said and then it was over. So it's pretty fucking traumatic to see your best friend not only assault you out of nowhere, but like undergo what seems like a werewolf transformation and just become like a totally crazy, crazed person. And the mom doesn't get it. She's like, Kyle came to visit Jack in the hospital, like what the hell? Like that's diabolical, and then they tell Jack, well, we're gonna have to go arrest Kyle, and he's like, okay, well tell him, I know he didn't mean it, Like he's still like trying to protect his friend.
Speaker 3: It's like really sad.
Speaker 1: And then at Kyle's house, Cariesy and Benson come a knock in and older brother Adam opens the door and he's like, well, my parents aren't home. Kyle got hurt during practice. They're aut the hospital. At the practice, the cops roll up on the turners and tell them that they're there to arrest Kyle.
Speaker 3: Jim doesn't let his wife talk.
Speaker 1: She tries to say up thing, and he's like, shut your mouth and tells the cops that like, don't you realize what's going on here? Kyle may have broken his wrist, acting like that's the tragedy of the century, while another child sits traumatized and bleeding at another hospital across town, and he's like, well he heard it at hockey practice, Like we have a lot going on right now. This man like classic just such a narcissist. And Benson is like, you don't have to talk to us, but we are going to arrest your son, so deal with that. Benson and Creesy then go talk to the doctor who says that the injury suggests someone twisting his wrist violently, and Creasey's like, so not like a hockey injury. And the doctor's like, well it could be. I mean it's not likely, but it's possible.
Speaker 3: And then the.
Speaker 1: Doctor's like, I can't tell you any medical files unless you have a subpoena. But Benson's like, yeah, but you are a mandated reporter. So are there injuries consistent with like long term abuse? And he's like, yeah, there are. There are like old fractures, like old spinal like they just spiral fractures like that are consistent with someone who's been abused. So now Benson and Creasy goes see Kyle. His arm is in a sling. They tell him they got to bring him to the priestinct for questioning. He gets really worked up.
Speaker 3: I want my dad.
Speaker 1: I got to talk to my dad. And Crisey's like, well, what happened to your wrists? He goes, I fell at practice, like he and then he goes but it was it wasn't really practice. It was just me and my dad, So what they were just doing one on one practice and then the dad. But my dad didn't see it. My dad didn't see it happened. So it's like it's all wise right, like that of this seems real. Caresy is like, listen, little buddy, we think you're lying. And the doc says that you have old injuries that seem like you've been abused. Kyle's getting very shifty, very nervous. He says, no one's hurting him.
Speaker 3: He just fell.
Speaker 1: Benson is like kneeling down, smiling at this kid with her beautiful face and going, you could go to prison for what you did to.
Speaker 3: Like she's like, I like water.
Speaker 1: I was like, god, she looks so pretty. She's like bending down and like a let me get like on your level. And then she's like you're gonna go to jail with adults, like you know, and he's like I thought only adults could go to prison, and Benson's like, nope, kids can go too, And then he's like, you have to tell us if someone threatened you or made you do this, and his parents walk in, obviously right at that moment, and say you don't have our consent to talk to him, and they're like, well, guess what, babe, we do not need your consent, right, now, because right now we're talking to Kyle as a victim, not as a perpetrator. And Kyle's like, I told him I fell to the dad. You know, he doesn't want to piss his dad off. Benson's like, you guys have two choices. I arrest Kyle right now, or we all go down to the precinct and talk this out along with your other two sons. And Jim's like, great, let's talk this through. Let's get to the bottom of it. We got nothing to hide. And the mom looks nervous, but she's like, you know, she's trying to be like right, yes, go team, we are all going to be at the precinct telling the absolute truth. But you know, we're getting the vibe that something is very fucked in this family. So now Finnish talking to Adam, the older brother, and like, oh, you and your brother fight. He's like yeah, I mean sometimes, but like we're super close, Like I would never heard him. We're best friends. We look out for each other, always have, always will. And now we're talking to the mom. Amy Spanger Helen and Rollins is like, does Jim ever get rough with Kyle? And she goes, no, that's not something that happens in our house, and then the medical records tell a different story. And then she just looks at Rollins like she has like she's speechless, and Rollins is like, you don't get it, Like your son's crime is serious.
Speaker 3: If he gets convicted, he will go to prison. And she's like, but.
Speaker 1: He's only a boy, and Rollins is like, yeah, so we want to give the prosecutor a reason to help Kyle.
Speaker 3: So we need your help to do that.
Speaker 1: Tell us what's going on between Kyle and his dad, and at least do it for Mark, like the little brother like and they look through the you know, the fish bowl glass, and the little Mark is just like coloring or whatever. The next in line, Crisey, is now in cement room bars with Kyle, telling this eighth grader that he's going to prison, and then he's like, unless you tell us who hurt your wrist and he's like, I can't. I love my dad. He's just helping me become a better player. And Carisey's like, it won't matter when you're behind bars, little guy. And now that dad Jim is intrment room bars with Rollins and he's like, this is a misunderstanding.
Speaker 3: How do we make it go away? And Rollins is like, uh, we don't.
Speaker 1: We might be able to make his punishment less severe, and he's like, oh, how do we do that? He goes if you admit to abusing him, and he's like, excuse me, and he like laughs. He's like, my parenting style might be old school, but it's never physical. And he's like, Kyle wants to be great at hockey. I know how to get him there. I came close to being pro myself. And there's just so many failed dads on this show. It's this is exactly the same mentality of the dad of Elsa's dad from Hothouse, Like.
Speaker 3: I was almost pro.
Speaker 1: I can make you good, like you know, It's like they're just guys that never got their fucking shot, being like now's my second chance through a kid, right.
Speaker 3: It's sadness anyway.
Speaker 1: And so Rollins is like, okay, so how do you explain all these injuries? And Jim's like, uh, he's a hockey player. He gets hurt, but he plays through the pain, not complaining like his pansy friends, and then sounds like a really great dad. And Benson on the other side of the glass with Finn is like this family's not talking, like it's pretty clear. So they arrest Kyle, and Jim is like blaming political correctness. He's like, you guys with this PC crap, like it's PC. Kid's in a hospital. Yeah, it's PC to be like, don't sexually assault another child with a hockey stick, Like you guys are so woke, and they're like He's like, there were just kids screwing around. Kyle will be arraigned in family court later this afternoon, they tell him so. Then later Careesy tells Rollins that Kyle was released into his parents' custody, and a lawyer at Corporation Council, which is Pippa as we remember that's what they call like these family court type of prosecutors is getting pressure from upstairs to try Kyle as an adult.
Speaker 3: And Rollins is like, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 1: I thought we were just dangling that to like traumatize him and get him to talk.
Speaker 3: He's just a kid. He's not like really going to go to jail.
Speaker 1: And Cariese's like, yeah, I mean they want to make an example of him because of increase in hazing in Ins, So like you know, send this kid to jail, send a message like you want to fuck around in what you think is an innocent hazing, you could go to jail too. So Rollins is like, well, the mom's at fault too, Like she just stands there and lets it happen, Plastic Rollins. If there's a way to blame a woman, Rollins will figure it out. At least season fifteen to eighteen, she figured. I think she figures things out a little bit later. But so she's like basically telling her telling Carisy like, I think she's just as abusive as the dad because she just stands there and lets it happen. And Crissey's like, I hear what you're saying, but it's not that simple, and Rollins is like, yeah.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: If someone fucks with Jesse, I kill them, like basically. And Carisee's like, you don't think this woman is a victim too? Maybe you get it's not only physical abuse, right, but there's like shame tied up in this as well, And she says, yeah, but that's why bullies get away with it. But it's like, yeah, look at like Elsalychkov's mom. If we're going back to that example, like she was like I let him hurt my beab, like she had so much shame, like she couldn't back.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he was hurting her as well.
Speaker 1: So luckily CARIESI gets a phone call before he has to fully explain domestic violence to Rollins so that they stop their argument and he has to go meet Live at the hospital. But not before Rollin, he tells Rolins, you know, sometimes it's not as easy as you think to be a hero.
Speaker 3: So we leave her on that.
Speaker 1: At the hospital, a nurse tells them some sad news. Jack died twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 3: They didn't have to do that. They didn't, but I think they had to up the stakes. They didn't have to do that.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, pretty fuck Like I'm so sad thinking about that little kid like.
Speaker 2: Ben's And at the end of the day, all these all these dads are cowards because they're letting their kids go to jail. Cause I'm thinking about what's his face and man up?
Speaker 3: Man down?
Speaker 1: Oh, Dylan Walsh, Yeah, like you know, it's just like you're you're willing to let your kid fucking suffer for it, Like you're you're a coward. Actually, yeah, well and a narcissist. You're like, I was trying to make you an man. If you can't handle it, then you need to take the punishment, Like I was just doing what I have to do as your dad. Like it's so fucking gross and dark you had to rape your friend? Like sorry, fuck, I hate him. The dad like just so consistently lies the entire time. You got the wrong kid. This was just a joke, Like this was just like you know then, even like he never even is shocked when confronted with his lies or when like the truth comes out. He's never even like wait what Kyle, what'd you do? He's always like, nah, this was a joke, Like how do we make it go away? Like, I don't know, I hate this guy. Benson obviously gives one of her classic like sharp inhales that when they find out that Jack has passed. So now Benson's talking to Jack's parents, They're like, he had a fever. They said he just needed fluids and antibiotics and that he was gonna be okay. Then his blood pressure dropped. They rushed into the ICU. It was an infection. Oh, you're watching the pit you know. The infections are the worst thing that can happen, you know, sepsis this. So the dad's like, someone's got to pay for this, and they're like, well, don't worry, we're charging your eighth grade son's best friend with manslaughter.
Speaker 3: That should cheer you up.
Speaker 1: And the dad goes, you can go ahead and charge Kyle, but his six son of a bitch dad is the one you should be going after. And Jim, he's like, Jim got into Kyle's head, turned him into a bully, and he did that to the older one too. And Mark is next. He's always berating him, pushing, grabbing, like he's basically saying like he didn't really see like a major abuse, but like with guys like that, he says, you can just tell I still think pushing and grabbing is abusive, but like, well.
Speaker 2: Especially if you see it, that means he's willing to do it in front of you, and like, yes, in public.
Speaker 3: So what do you think he's doing at home?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like grabbing him to talk to him like that. It's like that's he probably thought that wasn't enough to like call the cops, because honestly, I think if you do call the cops on something like that, they necessarily, like they'll they'll be like, there's not really enough that what Well, they'll relate to the dad yeah and be like, actually, you shouldn't make that shot. It's okay to touch your child on the shoulders while you tell them what to do, you know, Like they'll be like, my kid does this all the time too, Like with Gabby Patito, my wife, I just tell her.
Speaker 3: To take a shower.
Speaker 1: Anyways, they're telling so basically Jack's parents are like, he's just as responsible this guy Jim. So now back at the precinct, they've got some new footage from a goalie's mom, okay, and it's this video of Jim like laying into Kyle like, like I said, holding him by the shoulders, like talking to him like really really aggressively, right after that game. And it seems like they're like, it seems like he's telling Kyle to give Jack a beat down, although like you can't you can't be sure what he's saying. They got to get that lip reader girl from TikTok in there, so they bring this to Kyle and they're like, listen, pretty soon, we're gonna get the audio on this from Taru, and so just tell us if your dad told you to hurt Jack and he's like he didn't, and they're like, Kyle, Jack is dead, like someone has to pay. And then Adam, the older brother is there and he's like Jesus Christ, just tell them the truth. And the mom is like, Adam, shut it. Everything is going to be okay, and Benson is like, bitch, snap out of it. Everything is not going to be okay. That ship sailed when a kid died. Like the mom is definitely like traumatized. She's like, if you just keep saying everything is okay, everything is okay, you know, like she cannot handle what's going on. She does not know what to do. And they're like, tell your son to tell the truth. But as we've seen six times already in this episode, right as maybe a kid is about to tell the truth, the dad bursts in and everyone shuts the fuck up. So Kyle repeats, he didn't tell me to do anything, and Benson is like, okay, sweet, we'll see you in court where Kyle is being charged with sexual assault and manslaughter as an adult.
Speaker 3: Kyle looks terrified.
Speaker 1: Jim tries to touch his wife like around the like put his arm around her and she's like, don't you even think about Like so that's the first time you kind of see the mom like resists the dad a little bit. She like recoils when he tries to touch her.
Speaker 3: So now in.
Speaker 1: Family court, Kyle is pleading not guilty, and the judgees in the midst of releasing Kyle into the custody of his parents. When Adam stands up and storms out of the courtroom, Jensen and Finn follow. Adam is pissed. He's like, my brother's going to jail. Why aren't you guys trying to help him. Benson's like, babe, that's kind of all we're doing. And he's like, the only thing that will move the needle will be Kyle testifying that his dad told him to assault Jake, and little Bro is like, he won't do it. My dad's got him all twisted up, and they're like, so help us change his mind. So later we're at the precinct. It's nighttime at SVU and uh Careesy picks up the phone. He's like, all right, missus, Turner will be right over. So he grabs Rollins and he's like, Jim Turner just beat the shit out of his son.
Speaker 3: Adam again.
Speaker 1: It's like these men, the way they commit more crimes while they know that all eyes are on them.
Speaker 3: Is so wild.
Speaker 2: It's like but because they can't, you know, because they actually are so weak minded, Like, yeah, if you fall to violence like that, you're like an idiot. Yeah, truly. At the turn, this boy looks fucked, fucked. It's some of the worst injuries we've ever seen. It looks awful. It's like the eye is bubbling, yes, I is.
Speaker 1: Like swollen shut bubbling, bruised blood all over his face. He's gasping for breath like this. This actor does a great job with like the breath stuff, because usually it's just somebody lying their bloody quiet and he's like like he can't breathe, and the mom is just standing over him.
Speaker 3: She's not like dabbing any of the blood away.
Speaker 1: It's like, I know, you don't touch somebody like if they might have a spinal injury or whatever. But she's not even like holding his hand on the ground like help is on the way, Like she's just standing there. She's obviously traumatized and paralyzed, but I'm kind of like a kind word maybe, And she tells cariesy that Adam just kept pushing Jim's buttons. I couldn't stop it, and Jim just ran out of there. So he's in the wind and they're like, where's Mark. Luckily at her mother, so she knew enough to get her littlest guy out to another place. And Adam is like, well, you needed a way to He's like talking through blood and swollen like appendages, going you.
Speaker 3: Need a You needed a way to get Kyle to talk?
Speaker 4: This is it?
Speaker 1: And he points to his phone, which is like on a credit leaning against a candlestick, and it looks like he recorded the entire thing. So now and I wrote, yes, Adam's face is fucked, and he tells his brother stop protecting dad.
Speaker 3: He doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 1: And Kyle's there and he's like looks just like looks upset and torn, Like this kid is fucking traumatized. So now we're seeing the video of Adam baiting his dad into a fight.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm not afraid of you.
Speaker 1: He calls him a loser, he calls him a coward, and you know that sets the dad right off. He punches him and when he's on the ground, he just starts stomping him, and the mom is screaming like the video is a lot to even the short piece that they show us, and the sound of it, it's horrific, and so now Rollins has to talk. They send Rowins in to talk to the mom, even though she might not be the best person for that, and she's like trying to cover it.
Speaker 3: And Rollins is again.
Speaker 1: To the mom, like, how do you not get that your thirteen year old son is going to prison? And then she's like, but if I tell Kyle to testify, Jim goes to jail.
Speaker 3: And that seems like it'll help everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, well he broke Kyle's wrists and beat Adam to a bloody pulp. So and Helen's like, well, he didn't mean to. He loves him. The boys love him like they're a good he's a good man. And then she just decides to fest. She goes every day for the past five years, I wake up and I say I'm going to take the.
Speaker 3: Boys and leave.
Speaker 1: And then every day he buys my mom her arthritis medication, or he mowed my mom's lawn, or he tells me he loves me, And I say, this is a good man, and then she goes, but then and then Rollins goes, yeah, he changes and he gets abusive because that's also part of who he is. And she goes, it's just so hard to accept that you picked this man to spend your life with and have kids with, and you just try to fix it. And Rollins is like, yeah, but it's not fixable. And Kyle is just a boy. You can fix him, like you can help him now before he grows up to beat his own children up. So first you have to convince him to testify that his dad forced him to assault Jack.
Speaker 3: So now we're.
Speaker 1: Talking to Kyle with his mom in cement room bars and they're shutting a laptop like they just watched the video of the dad beating the shut out of his brother, as if he wasn't there in real life, like just here's a refresher. And he goes, Adam was right, he goes, my dad did tell me to assault Jack. He wanted Jack to know that he couldn't screw up anymore. He told me to use the stick. He said, that's how you're supposed to do it. I didn't want to hurt Jack. He was my friend. But he also doesn't want to rat his dad out. He loves him, and Carisi goes into anecdote mode. Okay, He's like, when I first saw Jack in the hospital, I was upset and angry at who did it because Jack reminded me of me. I was a squawny kid, the kid the guys the neighborhood would pick on me. The worst kid was Bobby b Yankee. One day he shoved my face through a plate glass window.
Speaker 3: I can't. I just needed to get to Bobby b Yankee. I just had to get to that part. So he's telling a story about how one time, like a kid, a fucking bully named Bobby b Yankee.
Speaker 1: Shoved Carisee's little and you know, Caresee's like a thin man now, you know, he was a scrawny little like little shrimp in school and this.
Speaker 3: Kid shoved his face through a plate glass window.
Speaker 1: And then the principal asked Carisy what happened, and he goes, I could have ended it, but I didn't, and he got away with it, and no one ever knew what happened. And you know where Bobby Byanke is now in sing sing for stabbing some poor sap to death in a bar fight and he goes and now I just think if I had said something, maybe that guy would still be alive. I missed my shot and I regret it every day. And this is your shot right now. And if not for you, Kyle, do it for Mark. What happens when he gets older and you're not around to look after him. You know, you're like five years away from getting out of the house, both of you, and then you'll both be gone and it'll just be Mark and the parents.
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 1: If you talk to the judge, they tell him this can go back to family court and you would do less time. Kyle thinks about it and he goes, Okay, I'll do it, and they're like, we also need your help finding your father. And then walking out of that room, Finn goes to Creasy nice story, man, you're quick on your feet, and Crisey's like, yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do, and Rollins is like that was straight out of your autobiography, Like that was all true and I know it, and Carsey just walks away.
Speaker 3: It's like, let's put you know, put two and two together here. Girl.
Speaker 2: That's always like such a classic SVU trope of like, you know, when they get personally connected, Yeah, they tell a tale.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's munch going. When I was little, across the street, there was this girl. She always had bruises, she always had cuts, and I never said anything. And then she died. And that's not a good munch. But you know what I'm saying. Okay, so you're still in carese mode. I'm still in careesy. It's hard to get out of it. I got to get my dialect coach.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: So, at the ice rink, Kyle is just sitting at the ice rink by himself in the stands, and Jim shows up, and so he's like, so, what's got you so worried that I needed to come all the way out here. It's like, I don't know, Dad, last time I saw you, you were beating my brother bloody to the point that one of his eyes is not functioning. And he's like, Kyle's like, everything is screwed up. You told me to do that to Jack. You said it would help. You said it would help the team. And he goes, yeah, so I told you to fucking assault your friend and not every plan works out. Okay, why are you being such a bitch? Not to tell you to do is gonna be one hundred percent. Like he's acting like it's like they hit traffic. Yeah, like what the fuck? Yeah, Like it's so crazy, and he goes, not every We're just gonna roll with it, that's all. And then this man is like the worst out of all time. He's like, chill baby. He goes stud athletes like, you don't go to jail, that's the thing. It's like he's also like using his own delusion that stud athletes don't go to jail, and it's like, you're not right now, Like I mean, before you beat your son up, you weren't really facing any consequences. You just were operating under these studt athletes don't go to jail, like school of law, which isn't real, and uh, your son would be the one paying all the prices on that.
Speaker 3: So then he's like.
Speaker 1: You just need to keep your head up, your mouth shut, and let your lawyer handle it. And he's like, you got good things come in your way. Then you're gonna do co puck. Then you're gonna go pro. Then we teach Mark together, me and you, we whip him into shape, toughen him up, and then the Turner boys are the face of the league.
Speaker 3: We can have our own dynasty.
Speaker 1: I mean, this guy is the delusions of grandeur are out of control. That's when the cops show up. They interrupt his dumb little fantasy speech. Kyle looks really sad. The dad goes everything you haven't accomplished, I taught you how to get it, and the dad the Col's like, I'm sorry, dad, I let you down.
Speaker 4: And then I know that's.
Speaker 3: The sad part too. He still feels bad.
Speaker 2: He's gonna feel bad and think he did something wrong until he gets years of therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know if his mom is gonna even let him go. Like, I don't know what's gonna happen. I think the whole family has to get in therapy. And I hope they do. I hope they move. But it sucks because it's like that guy, like he could get a few years in Joe, but he'll get out of eventual and he'll come back for all of them. It's like, I don't know. I'm like, I'm just like pessimistic about.
Speaker 2: It's like your son's eye as fucked, your other silent killed his best friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like and you're not like maybe things have gone too far. You're like, we gotta just don't work. You can go to college and play hockey. Yeah I forgot that part. Yeah whatever, So plans don't work. It's so crazy, plans don't work.
Speaker 3: It's fine. Whoever wrote that? That's like so good, that's so like.
Speaker 1: Also, it's like you literally could have just told him to punch him a couple of times, do you know what I mean? Like you told him to do something so horrible, like the punching is not acceptable, but like everyone would have lived, everybody, you know, like jailed, like you would have gotten a probation. Like he's like, do something so awful, Like I don't know, it's so okay, so bad. I'm yea do like mafia do? Like what the mafia like? Do it like a horrible like moment, it's shut like we all want to be champions, but like, at the end of the day, champions lose all the time.
Speaker 3: That's what makes them champions.
Speaker 1: So it's like and they lose gracefully, and that's why these that's why these dads don't make it like they don't get the full humanity of it all. And obviously, like Kobe was crazy and hit the ball, like and Jordan were insane in their own ways, but like they lost a lot.
Speaker 3: And knew it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, Well, at the end of the episode, it's Rawlins and Benson showing off their outerwear to be a hockey rink.
Speaker 2: Like Michael Jordan didn't make his like high school team or something like that. There's that story, like Tom Brady wasn't even a first round draft pick, Like he was like far down the line. He was like some backup quarterback like most people that not like a lot of people that succeed.
Speaker 3: It's like it's.
Speaker 2: Tenacity and like working through stuff, not flipping out and raping a child with a stick, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why you're not a champion, Like what the fun? That is exactly why he's not a champion. That's why he didn't go pro because of the way this man is.
Speaker 3: Like nothing's worse than a sore loser. You don't want to be.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like having like a little fun, like some Reggie Miller fun, but like I don't know. Yeah, So anyway, the episode ends with Rollins and Benson and their beautiful outer ice rink because.
Speaker 2: Now that hockey has infiltrated my what's it called algorithm? Oh, you're getting a lot of more hockey content. It's they know exactly what I want, but they'll throw in some hockey now and then. Now, like it is crazy violent, like they truly just take off and in the books, like like there's some people that are they're on the team to fight, like they're enforcers and like protecting the like.
Speaker 1: Shooter that I remember that from when I used to play NHL on Nintendo, Like you had a moment where you could throw off your.
Speaker 3: Gloves and fight, but like like you can still do that in.
Speaker 1: Hockey, yes, Like like I just get clips of like and that, Like the clip I got was like never fuck with a goalie and it's like someone fucking with the goalie and then the whole team will beat the shit out of you and it's like everyone's just throwing things, penalty boxes are filled. Like it's just kind of an insane But I don't think I realized sport. I don't either, because I don't think about hockey ever in my life. Although I feel like we've had this conversation I'm having like where I was like, are we still allowed to fight during hockey but.
Speaker 3: The girls don't.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, at the end of the day, the girls play without doing that. And then one of them made a joke of like, well, we don't have goodental insurance, so the boys have more money than us. But also I'm sure it's they're just I don't know. These guys just really are beating the shit out of each other and it's encouraged, like they're fighting the like the refs are on skates kind of fighting too.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, like the I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's but like when I think about our so we didn't have our own high school hockey team that like the two high schools combined, but it was all the skater guys. It was like the hot kind of alternative guys or were the people I remember being on hockey.
Speaker 1: Oh not not where I grew up. It was like the rich, preppy guys were the hockey players. Okay, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Then because of the books, and it's also like a lot of them are like I guess with all sports baseball, like some of them just don't speak the language, Like a lot of them are speaking different languages. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like sometimes they're just coming from somewhere and that's that.
Speaker 1: It's just like there's other sports that are violent, like football, and you know, but you're never like, oh, you two just take a second and just beat the shit out of each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically the episode ends, it's fastening Rollins in their beautiful outerwear at an ice rink and Benson's like, well, a few years in juvie is better than ten years in prison, but she's not happy about it, and Rollins is like, yeah, but we got that dad out of the house, like that's what's important. And then Benson goes, yeah, thirteen years too late. So and that's how it ends. That's dick Wolf Baby. It's like, at least you guys saved Mark, and hopefully you can save Adam and Kyle from through therapy, a lifetime of shame and trauma.
Speaker 3: You know, but I hope that those guys are okay.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: That's that. That's great expectations. Why did they call it that.
Speaker 1: It's like I think, well, I think it's like the expectations of you know.
Speaker 2: I've I've already like what like I don't but yeah, I know, it's not about hockey, being good at hockey, Okay.
Speaker 3: But is it about like something like a fuck story.
Speaker 2: I feel it's like Haron ethan Hawk near a Fountain is what I remember about Great Expectations.
Speaker 1: It says it's a coming of age novel that follows an orphan Pip from his humble beginnings to his rise as a gentleman and an orphan Pip.
Speaker 3: Huh, his name is Pip? Pip? What's a Pip? That's his name? Is his name is Pip? Yeah? Okay, Pip like pippin.
Speaker 1: No and and eventually his moral awakening, exploring themes of social class, love, ambition, and identity in Victorian England. So I guess it's because he had these great expectations.
Speaker 3: Quote unquote of like wealth, and you know.
Speaker 1: The dad has these great expectations for his kids, but and the mom had these great expectations for starting a family with this man, and it's like turned into a fucking nightmare. So I don't know, sad, Yeah, yeah, And it's all because this guy like didn't get where he thought he deserved to go, like in his hockey career, probably, do you know what I mean? Like that's like where it comes from. But let's get to the crime. Tell me the horrific thing that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: All right, So this is obviously about parent violence and youth sports. One man beat another like one father beat another father to death after a practice game, a practice game.
Speaker 3: This was like practice.
Speaker 2: What this was at a Burbank skating arena in Reading, Massachusetts. Okay, So Michael Costin, he is the victim. He's one hundred and fifty six pounds, he's a carpenter, and on June fifth, two thousand, he was beaten to death after the parents argued about a rough play in this hockey practice. Now, the murderer is Thomas Junta, and Thomas was forty four years old, two hundred and seventy pounds, so that's like a lot of weight on someone for a fight.
Speaker 3: And he was a truck driver.
Speaker 2: And his lawyer, Thomas or Landy Junior, said, Junta's not the person he has been made out to be. In fact, is a loving father and husband, and that's by the New York Times. But he did beat a man to death, and I think that's something to remember. So the fight began when Junta believed that Costin was encouraging a team with his three sons on it to play two aggressively hitting, checking, and slashing the players on the other team, where Junta's son Quinlan was playing. So I don't know if it was like a scrimmage game or all the teams in the league practice together like what was going on. But in multiple articles it said like this wasn't even a game. So the two men said.
Speaker 1: That it's like there's no stakes, it's just a practice.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The two men argued on the ice and Junta was asked to leave, and he left for one minute, then came back, claiming he was worried his son was still in there, but the assistant rink manager, Nancy Blanchard, said he looked and aged and shoved her aside hard enough that it bruised her arm. So he left a pissed, came back pissed. Then so he went inside started and then they started shoving each other, and then Junta ended up sitting on Costin's chest and that's where all these fatal blows were delivered. And this is according to two witnesses to the New York Times, and that these witnesses said that they were shouting for him to stop and then Couston was found laying on the floor outside the rink in this like nor like Redding in north of Boston, So they went from inside to outside. The fight continued and he was found outside. He died when an artery at the base of his brain was severed by a powerful force. It says he sustained injuries in fifteen places. But there's a lot of conflicting witness statements. So Junta's like, I only hit him three times, but all these other people were like, oh no, actually you hit him ten, like more than ten times. And then his twelve year old son testified that his dad was trying to protect himself and only hit him three quick times. And that's to CNN, and it's like it could be a corsion or like, you know, or the kid only saw off you.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just a lot of witnesses, and they always say witness testimony is an issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you're sitting on somebody's chest, it feels like you've won, Like you don't need to do any you're protected, you're sitting on the person, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point. And then the judge ordered for all the miners not to be identified. That testified, which I appreciate. And there was like a dozen children watching, including these two sons. So one of the sons truly watched his dad get beat to death. And then one of the witnesses is quoted to CNN saying he went on and on, and I kept hollering and saying stop, and I was thinking the whole time, he's either going to kill the man or he's going to have brain damage. Them testified in court that Costin was beaten so severely that he suffered deep hemorrhages on the left side of his neck and with the torn artery in the brain and like he kind of had a four of a stroke from these injuries. And Junta said he was acting in self defense after Costin swung at him, and the judge told the jury that self defense was illegally acceptable defense as long as the force was proportionate to the threat. Now, Costin actually has like a really long criminal record, but that was not made to the jury because he's like that's trying to make the victims seem like something else. It probably would have helped paint a picture for the Junta team, but that Costin was an aggressor or something, but the judge did not allow that.
Speaker 3: They actually both have insane criminal records.
Speaker 2: So Costin had been sentenced to jail ten times for terms of fifteen months for or like for assault, battery, breaking and entering, assaulting a police officer, violating a restraining order taken out by his wife Linda, and then his father Gus is quoted in the Time saying how his son had a troubled past but was in a good mood before his death because he had just one custody of his sons and daughter, which seemed insane. So I'm like, what is the mom up to? Or is like parents syndrome alia? And like how did this guy with all these arrests? But it's kind of like when Tom ran sand what's the guy from Ravenaugh. It's like when from Southern Charm, Like for Catherine not to have the kid, it's like they're both bad.
Speaker 3: Like what has yet up to? So I just think it's crazy he got custody of his kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does seem crazy moms or mentally unfit or something.
Speaker 2: But he's they've issued restraining orders against him. Yeah, so I don't know, but this is just a quote from the dad so like I don't know, yeah, yeah. Junta also is arrested on charges of a sultan battery and breaking and entering, but wasn't convicted in the past. And he also had a restraining order in nineteen ninety one because he beat her in front of the two children and another child. So he like beat his wife at a wedding in front of his kids.
Speaker 6: Jesus Christ, this is toskic toxic masculinity, like I know for one versus one, like they're basically oh my god.
Speaker 2: All right, So he was found guilty. This is actually really confusing. So he was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in January two thousand and two, which only had a possible sentence, one source said, for three to five years. And then but okay, so a half hour before the jury delivered a verdict, the jury asked the judge to clarify between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. And then the jury was nine women, three men, and if they found him guilty of voluntary manslaughter, he would have been looking at eight to twelve years. And it actually took the judge asking for the verdict three times for the jury Foreman to finally speak and say guilty. So I don't know what was really going on, but a bunch of them wanted to go voluntary but were talked out of it, and eventually, like a lot of the jurors who talked were not happy and said, this guy went too far and he had lots of chances to stop or call the police or do anything. And now NBC Sports reported that he served eight years, and that like the local WFMY News too said he was sentenced to six to ten years, So it's like, I thought he got involuntary which is three to five, but he actually got eight. And then CBS News reported you could get up to twenty years maximum for an involuntary murder charge, so I'm not really sure what's up.
Speaker 3: But he got eight.
Speaker 1: Years, even though one source was like, it's only possible to get three to five. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: If it's like states, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm also sort of like, like, first degree murder, right, is planning intent to kill?
Speaker 3: Right? I thought second degree murder was like murder in the.
Speaker 1: Heat of passion, but that sounds like it's also what voluntary manslaughter is.
Speaker 2: No, maybe voluntary is like drunk driving. Yeah, well, it's what's drunk driving?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 1: I mean voluntary it said, it's killing of a human in which the offender acted in the heat of passion, a state that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed to the point where they cannot control their emotions. It's one of two types of manslaughter. So I just don't really understand the difference between. I mean, we have so many lawyers that listen, but like, yeah, because isn't there also there's also a third degree murder, Like there's all there's different degrees of murder. So when does it go from manslaughter? Key differences between murder and voluntary manslaughter. I mean it probably varies by state as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's intent murder. There's an intent to kill. Manslaughter, there's not an intent to kill.
Speaker 1: Okay, So second degree murder would be like I was in a rage, I went crazy, I couldn't see anything, but I kept going until they were dead, whereas event manslaughter is like I was just trying to hurt them and I killed them by accident. Yeah, yeah, okay, got it. Okay, seems important. Episode two d and seventy eight.
Speaker 2: The guy served eight years, and the judge went along with the recommended sentence from prosecution but believed it was too lenya and generous, and he was denied parl twice.
Speaker 3: And that's that, damn. And I hope no one speaks to him. I think he died great, Sorry, I didn't know that. That's pretty unprofessional with me. No, that's okay.
Speaker 1: I know. I only know because I really quickly looked at the thing and I saw his death date when I was first looking up the thing.
Speaker 3: I think he died cancer. But damn, well, the end to that story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the fs it's like, get a couple like, knock him out, but then you gotta leave. Don't knock I get, like, don't be violent ever, but like, yeah, it's like you severed a brain artery fifteen points.
Speaker 3: Like what are you talking about? You're more giant than him. Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 1: I just hate violence like that of any kind really, unless like you're truly defending someone from like being attacked. I really just fights, like at concerts or anytime I see a fight, I'm always like, oh I hate this, so all right, I like too, But I would go to a couple of public executions if I could, I would say on the heels of public executions. We have a pretty cute little guest coming up, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: We got a little we got a little cutie. Why are you connecting them?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, we're going straight from people beating each other to death and hanging billionaires in the streets to a little sweetheart. Our guest today is a young actor who has been featured on such shows as Nicky Ricky, Dicky and Dawn Bunked and Elena of Avalor. But you know him best today as the star hockey player with a messed up family, Kyle Turner.
Speaker 3: Please enjoy our chat with the lovely Lincoln Melcher.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's so crazy to see you like grown up. I know this sounds crazy, but it's like I just watched your little episode where you're this little cutie, and now you're like a full grown person.
Speaker 5: How was a baby?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How old were you when you filmed this? Like thirteen?
Speaker 5: Or I believe I was twelve. I think I was.
Speaker 7: I was in seventh grade at the time, and now I'm a senior in college, so it's been it's been.
Speaker 5: A long time.
Speaker 7: What are you majoring in I'm a political science major in a theater minor.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so are you maybe gonna get are you gonna? I mean, I know you're still acting, Like I see your credits and stuff, but like, are you is that the way you want to go?
Speaker 3: Or in your back pocket?
Speaker 5: Writing in the back pocket? Maybe we'll see.
Speaker 7: But uh yeah, acting, writing up and doing improv with my college improv team too.
Speaker 5: It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, I did improv in college. And are you you're from California?
Speaker 5: I am, I'm from Burbank.
Speaker 3: So then you booked and flew to New York.
Speaker 5: It was pretty insane. It was a quick turnaround. It was I had done. I was shooting actually a Disney Channel show at the time.
Speaker 7: Uh, and I got the email for a self tape, and we like scrambled to go get it done, finish the self tape, turned it in, and then literally like the next day I got the email I'd gotten it, and then they had us on a flight the next morning at like four o'clock in the morning. So it was a pretty quick, like whirlwind turnaround. But super cool.
Speaker 3: Did you take classes? How'd you learn?
Speaker 2: Were you good at memorizing like I don't know what, So what were your skills?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 7: I think I think just being like a twelve year old, things just kind of like make sense to you a little bit more than as an adult. You tend to complicate things as you get older a little bit. But yeah, no, I just I've been doing it since I was super little. I actually went up the way I got into it. I was four years old. My mom was doing a Tibo class in Citio City and the lady who worked at the front happened to be like an acting manager, and she was like, Hey, do you want to be on television?
Speaker 5: And I was like, yeah, of course. So I got from there.
Speaker 7: I booked like a Mont's Applesauce commercial right away, like my first audition, and then immediately got fired because I wasn't I was a four year old, and like, I was supposed to walk through this house like with my backpack first day of school, and I just insisted upon like swinging it over my head.
Speaker 1: You were trying to play in real, Try to play the real I have a four year old boy right now, and that's the reality of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got fired because you wouldn't stop spinning your immediately.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, there was a stand in named Shane.
Speaker 7: And I still remember that because every time, I don't know, every time I feel like I'm not I'm not there, I'm my God, I better I better lock in because they got Shane in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a Shane ready to take your place a moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Love this tybo front desk slash talent Matter.
Speaker 5: Right, it's so Hollywood.
Speaker 7: It's just like it's the epitome of a Hollywood Hollywood origin story.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, obsessed.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to ask, like, you know, what was did you know anything about SVU at twelve years old, Like did you know the subject matter?
Speaker 3: And like was it scary?
Speaker 1: But like you were in a Ouiji Origin of Evil the year before, so I guess SVU was probably like a step down from that.
Speaker 5: It's true, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean this subject especially switching from like Disney Channel to yeah, it's sort of a whiplash there, Yeah, to to some serious SPU stuff. Yeah, for sure, I mean it was it was definitely more serious. But I feel like I don't know, I was kind of my family has always been sort of like I don't know, I was allowed to watch right onar movies way too young, Like it wasn't it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, I guess.
Speaker 2: But well, any scoop, any moments with any of the detectives or you know, some give it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I remember kind of a funny when I think we shot in like twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you guys remember the Juju on that Beat challenge, the dance the Juju.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that.
Speaker 5: Not like gen zing myself.
Speaker 3: Right now on the beat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Juju on that beat. It's like, I don't know. It was like a silly dance challenge from the twenty tens amongst.
Speaker 3: I'm sure a lot of our listeners will know it.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 7: So, I hope I'm connected with Sella here, Marishka's son. I guess they call him Juju. So I was doing this Juju on that beat dance, just like, what is that? What you have to teach me this dance? So I'm if you ever see Mariska Harketed doing the Juju on that beat dance, just now that I'm the one that's odder.
Speaker 2: So, Wow, you guys did good rock dances together, I have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's a legacy there for sure.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then you were and we call it cement room bars. How is it being in all the sets?
Speaker 5: I mean it was realistic, I really well.
Speaker 7: Actually, the craziest one we filmed some of those hospital scenes in like an abandoned hospital somewhere. I'm like, and it was freaky, Like the vibe was definitely definitely spooky. B So that was yeah, that was That was probably the strangest place that we filmed. But even like all the like the prison sets and stuff, they feel real to I've been watching one TV. You think they're real until you walk in and there's like a, I don't know, just a huge screen behind the windows.
Speaker 2: I know, they really make beautiful windows scapes on sunsets are gorgeous and really kind of nail it. Would you ever live in New York? Are you LA forever?
Speaker 5: I think so? I mean I definitely I have some LA loyalty for sure.
Speaker 7: But I was in New York this summer and I was kind of scoping it out, and I think I think I could see myself see myself over here at some point, maybe not now, but.
Speaker 3: Like, where would you do? Is that?
Speaker 1: Like why theater versus acting or film or something like that, Like why do you want to do the stage?
Speaker 7: I'm I'm totally into into all of it. I'm actually right now I'm doing I'm I'm at Playhouse West doing like a Meisner program. So that's that's a lot. I've been getting a lot on stage, a lot that's been really good. I mean, I feel like that's that's for sure. The best way to practice is just getting up on stage. Like the scariest form of acting I feel. I mean, on a set, you get like a million tries and then you get to the stage.
Speaker 5: It's like, all right, don't don't mess this up. Get one shot.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I'd love to do I'd definitely love to do more theater in the future for sure.
Speaker 1: So wait, when you did this this uh episode, did you know how to skate or play hok like play hockey or anything or did they ask me I did that?
Speaker 7: No, they put me in like these moon boot kind of things that I guess like have traction on the ice. Even though I was I was I wanted to skate, I kept talking. I wanted to I mean, I would have fallen on my ass, but I really to get out there. It looked like fun. But yeah, those were cool. I've never seen those before.
Speaker 3: You were moon boots.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were moon boot esque. I don't know, I don't know what the techn so that.
Speaker 1: You could be on the ice in them without like actually skating.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so a few of those shots, it's it's actually yeah, yeah, I was on the ice, but not not actually wearing skates.
Speaker 3: Was the gear heavy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it was. It was like hockey gear. It was.
Speaker 3: I would just hate to have to carry that around.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 7: And I'm a sweater too, I mean, I'm yeah, it's a lot. It's a burden.
Speaker 3: Are you are?
Speaker 1: Have you cotton heated rival fever? Heated rivalry fever?
Speaker 5: I have not yet, but I feel like I've got to tap in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Everyone's been saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I was wondering if like your age was into it.
Speaker 3: My niece is twenty one, she's about to be twenty one. She likes it. Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: I mean a ton about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're kind of we picked the hockey episode because of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, good figure.
Speaker 3: It's like timely.
Speaker 1: I mean, unfortunately, the show Heated Rivalry is like all about consent, and this show is a little bit different, you know, a little bit different.
Speaker 3: And it just always sucks when it's a parent too. You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know I was watching last night. Was I was like heartbroken for myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, how did it feel? What were your thoughts watching it? No?
Speaker 5: I mean it's tough.
Speaker 7: I feel like it's tough to watch anything that you're in. But honestly, like being ten years removed from it and like kind of just watching it as like this is like a little twelve year old kid. I was impressed. I thought I was give myself a pat on the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelve years old and you're flying cross country to like live in New York for a week or two and be like in this television.
Speaker 5: Show inherently kind of terrified.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's like a lot. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, you had like so many you had a lot of face time with Peter Scanavino, if you remember that, like he's you know, he's still with the show. He was you know, I think they were trying to draw a little a little uh, get a little bit of his history out through your storyline, and that was kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Did your parents watch it? Like, did you all watch it together?
Speaker 5: Yeah? When it came out, Yeah, we did, like a little living room party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a weird thing to watch as like a party setting, but it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's not real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's a very like some episodes of Rest of You actually have like some humor in them in our life pretty and could be campy.
Speaker 3: This one is not one of those.
Speaker 5: I didn't remember that the end was so bleak.
Speaker 7: I figured that it had like some sort of like, oh no, there's gonna be some sort of up ticket the end.
Speaker 1: The end is like Dad is dad and he's going to jail. The end is really freaking bleak. Did you get along with the other like kids on the set? There were like a bunch of boys right in the episode. Were you guys like, yeah, what's up? Let's drink full? So like full caffeine, SODA's and parties.
Speaker 5: I'm sure, I'm sure we're horrible.
Speaker 7: I feel like we didn't spend too much time with the whole hockey team, but yeah, I mean, honestly, all I remember from that set is just that everyone everyone got along super well. I remember I spent a lot of time with Christopher, like col who played Jack, and he was super sweet.
Speaker 5: I felt horrible.
Speaker 3: From what I've done to and then he died.
Speaker 7: Yeah that was and then he died. Yeah, and then no more friend on set exactly.
Speaker 3: But what are your go to snacks on set?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh. I mean that's the biggest part of it for me is the crafty table. I'm I'm chocolate reverse. Now I get migraines when I when I eat chocolate, so I can't dip into the chocolate. Eminem's used to be my go to but now I think kind of a banana guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is that like a banana guy?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm always there for whenever they have like an omelet bar, I'm there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 5: Those are my go to.
Speaker 3: Omelet You really can't beat it. Your sister is like a big influencer on the internet.
Speaker 1: She is because I was just googling you in preparation for today and I saw your sister and I was like, wait, I've seen this girls videos before.
Speaker 7: Like I'm sure, I'm I think everyone has. She is the queen of of of TikTok rage bait she's a self proclaimed troll.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Louisa, right, Louisa Melcher.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Louisa.
Speaker 7: Yes, she actually well, she originally was not really like interested in acting or any of like the performance side of things. And then she got to college and she was an art history major and then she switched to theater her senior year and I was like, okay, so you're blatantly copying me, you're ripping my thing. But all right, and yeah, then this this crazy social media troll situation just bloomed and she's now like she's she's she's the real performative family right now.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's she's taking the cake.
Speaker 1: So she just started making like because I've seen some of the videos, but I don't did she oh did she do one where she pretended like that her fiance proposed to her at a marathon or something like that.
Speaker 5: And she sure, I mean I can't even it.
Speaker 1: Was just to make people mad at the fiance. Okay, wait, well she has one.
Speaker 2: Now my fiance is currently in police custody for the Louver heist.
Speaker 5: There we go. Yeah, that's a pretty good example.
Speaker 7: She had one that she actually had she uh, she had my mom and I be a part of where where.
Speaker 5: She said that my mom had had like a situationship with the pope. In that that got like twenty million views.
Speaker 7: People were convinced that the friends of mine were coming with me at school and being like, is that that's crazy?
Speaker 5: Like the Pope is your dad? I'm like, no, no.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm kind of upsessed. She has this post that's like, guys, I just got raptured. I literally just got raptured. I'm freaking out there letting me keep my phone. Oh my god, so funny. So wait, that's crazy. Okay, So is it just you too? Do you have other sibs?
Speaker 5: It's just us too?
Speaker 1: Wow, And you're both like performers and one of you was discovered at a Tybo studio and the other one is a rage bait TikToker. I mean truly, this is this is the future.
Speaker 5: It's the quintessential Hollywood got it all gone?
Speaker 3: Does your mom still do Tybo?
Speaker 5: She does it, she knows she's sweat. She's more of a a yogi now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: In the future, I just.
Speaker 2: Want to let her know that it's on YouTube and I'm a Tibo person. We're still you're still out there.
Speaker 5: If she wants to.
Speaker 7: Know some of those old Billy Blanks videos, she might be in there. You might be working out with my mom.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wait are your parents show biz parents?
Speaker 5: My dad works in game shows.
Speaker 7: He's a he's a writer. So right now he's working on the on the floor with Rob Love.
Speaker 1: Okay, he head on over to Ireland to film he does.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, exactly, I.
Speaker 3: Had like two friends be on that show. I should be on the floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'll.
Speaker 1: See what is it the one where you go back and forth about like pasta shapes or something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the cake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I could do a good job.
Speaker 5: I think I would freeze and do a horrible job.
Speaker 3: But that's true too. I love a game show.
Speaker 2: So what what other game shows did you go to sets when you were a kid?
Speaker 5: I honestly did not know.
Speaker 7: I mean most of the time it was they were in weird places, like yeah, they would always shoot in like New York or Vegas or yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, game shows are are all over the place. What what? Yeah? What other stuff has your dad done besides the floor.
Speaker 5: Well he did.
Speaker 7: He also so who wants to be a millionaire? He was doing before. Okay, change the game for practical jokers. Okay, I'm like not doing him justice.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna it.
Speaker 3: Wants to be a millionaire. Was always in New York. I thought it was so he was in New York for a little bit to do that. Okay, because Sarah Shaeffer used to write on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and now him and my mom, uh they work on like original game shows together, and they pitched those, so.
Speaker 5: Oh pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how I used to make money as a young comedian. I would book these weird game shows Truth Truth, Lie, Detectors, Joker Off, Yeah, comedy Knaka. I was, I like, well, I love games, but yeah, that's so exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think I'm like kind of banned from being on a game show ever now because he's he's so like tied into that world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get like, ye, someday I want to be on Family Feud.
Speaker 3: That's that. I'm sure.
Speaker 7: I yell at the TV when I watched that show. I think I could do a much better job than most of the people on there.
Speaker 1: Of course, Oh my gosh, what an interesting Okay. So now you're like, so you guys play games at home? Are your parents like no game. We can't do any games at home.
Speaker 5: My mom hates games. Yeah, we don't. Oh, we're not even a game family. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, so you also play golf?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: You're on the UCLA golf team. Is that really competitive? I mean, not to bring it back to the episode, but did your dad ever twist your wrist because you didn't make a good score in golf?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: But that I mean yeah, I mean growing up, so yeah, I played competitive. I've been playing competitive golf since I was like six years old.
Speaker 1: Really, there's competitive golf when you're six. Oh of course I didn't know golf. Golf feels like something that starts out like when you're twelve, Like it doesn't feel like it seems like a little.
Speaker 5: Baby when you're seventy No, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're around yeah.
Speaker 7: Once yeah, once your hair goes great, that's when you start playing. No, it was, I mean for sure, you see, like a lot of like my parents never cared. I mean, no one in my family plays golf except for my grandpa. So he was the only one that was really like, actually know what was going on all the time. My mom sort of grew to learn because she would take me to tournaments and stuff. But yeah, I mean there's definitely some some serious golf parents. The golf dads are no joke.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I played.
Speaker 7: Throughout high school, I sorted taking it a bit more seriously, and then played two years of D one golf at UCLA And now I've sort of switched my focus back to performing and yeah, getting back.
Speaker 5: To that that that side of my world.
Speaker 3: Athlete.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's I mean it's intense, it's it's it's a lot, it's a full time job, but it's super cool. I mean, I've gotten to play like all the coolest golf courses that I've that I've had wanted to play since I was a kid, and it was Yeah, I don't know, I like, will never not love just being out on the golf course.
Speaker 3: So do you golf casually all the time?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then are you stunting on people? And I go WHOA?
Speaker 5: Every once in a while you have to write.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it brings me no joy. I went to a driving range once. It gave me nothing, and I gave the bucket of balls to someone and left.
Speaker 7: I See, I don't think if I wasn't if I hadn't started with I was a kid.
Speaker 5: I don't know if i'd super be into it now. No people are. It takes a while to get pretty good.
Speaker 3: So you're graduating in one a couple of.
Speaker 5: Months, graduating in June.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then what's the plan?
Speaker 5: So a few more?
Speaker 7: Well hopefully, I mean I've been auditioning a lot, been writing a lot. I want to start maybe doing some la improv. I haven't decided if I want to start with you know, you see beer Groundlings. But yeah, in the comedy scene, keep auditioning, just I don't know, make some creative stuff happen.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: I did all of the UCB at in New York, but uh oh cool in l A. I've only really done stand up at UCB. But I think Groundlings is awesome too. It's I don't know, I don't really know what makes people choose one versus the other, to be honest, a lot of really fun people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to ask around a little. Yeah, you got to be back on SVU. What would you like to come back? As?
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean I need however.
Speaker 1: They have different Yeah, what would you want to come back?
Speaker 7: I'll be like the rookie, like the agent. I don't know, whatever, whatever they need.
Speaker 1: Because like you look, not that they care, They bring people back on all the time, but like you look very different, like when you were a kid. Your hair is lighter, like you know, you're just like you look different.
Speaker 5: So it's true.
Speaker 3: I think we could.
Speaker 1: No one would be like, hey, that's the kid that did that hockey stick.
Speaker 7: And even if they'd be like, wow, this kid has such an amazing redemption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we need you back on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, I agree, let's make it happen.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Also, since you're in call, are they are? Do you find that your peers are reading? Or do you think we're cooked?
Speaker 5: Are people doing? Peers are reading? No?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think that that the art has not been lost. Also mean I go to UCLA, we have kind of like a there's this whole performative era that's sort of going on currently right now too, so it's hard to discern who's reading like and who's reading to seem like they're uh cool and smoked cigarettes and.
Speaker 5: Are from silver Lake.
Speaker 3: And I have noticed that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're back in a scary way.
Speaker 3: And it's because of heat of rivalry.
Speaker 5: I think staying away.
Speaker 7: Who knows it seems like everything is sort of coming back to that heat of robbery for me.
Speaker 3: I mean that's how I started reading.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right, but yeah, I think reading it. Reading is back in. Reading is in.
Speaker 3: Reading is in, reading is in. Cigarettes are in. So the kids are doing their homework.
Speaker 5: No, no, the kids are doing their homework.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, before we and also before we end that way, first of all, I have to say, getting you back on Law and Order doesn't seem impossible at all, because you also just did a Chicago med Dick Wolf Universe. They still got you. They've still got you spinning around in the Dick Wolf universe. But you also did an episode of The Thunderman's which is like my daughter's favorite show. And I've been doing a joke in my stand up lately that that show is making my daughter talk like a Nickelodeon kid. Now she'll be like, Mom, you gotta see what Oscar's doing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why are you talking like that?
Speaker 1: Like she just that is hilarious, you know, and you play like the one of the main characters a young version.
Speaker 7: Yeah that was just like a one episode. Yeah that is that's so funny that you mentioned that too. There it's like that Nickelodeon Disney Channel Cadence is so recognizable.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I worked on a Nickelodeon show when I was younger, like on the production side, and was like, wow, these kids really do have a way of talking. But now my daughter and then you did a voice on Elena of Avalor, which is my son's favorite cartoon show.
Speaker 3: So today you're definitely kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Top, They're gonna be exciting, They're gonna.
Speaker 5: Be I'm honored.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Well, we can't wait to see what you do. Yeah. I can't wait to see what you do next.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I loved him. What a young man, What a nice young man. You know, we talk sometimes to some young people and it just gives me some faith in the future.
Speaker 3: I feel like, that's a nice kid. That's a kid that's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's good at a lot of stuff, sweet Eye, this is great. Oh wait, I know I've been talking a lot about stickers, but my friend got me a sticker book, like from childhood. So the sheets will keep all my stickers safe, you know, like you can take.
Speaker 1: Them on it, you can take them on and off. Did you not grow up doing this. No, wait, you can take the sticker on and off, Like the material of this paper is like a sticker backing sheet.
Speaker 2: Oh so you can like they can live forever here. You can then use them, but they can live here. I've never seen that. Oh yeah, this was like a big deal to me in second grade. But Julia was in La and the store is in La. It's called Sticker Planet. Cool, it's aid the Grove, and so it's like these sheets and then I got like, she brought me these stickers so you can go nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's great the grove. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just feel like we had sticker books that were like albums, were like I don't know if you like put them in sheets, but that's better.
Speaker 3: What you have is better. I just I think you're confused.
Speaker 2: You might not have, but the people you saw with sticker books were using this because what's the point You could just put it in a notebook, Like, what's the point of a sticker book if you can't be switching and flopping and flipping.
Speaker 1: This is what your peers were using. Okay, did you collect erasers?
Speaker 3: What were you doing? Any books? Glass troll dolls? Troll dolls for like a minute, but I wasn't.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking school. I'm talking little pencils. Do you have the pencils with the lead that you pushed from the bottom. They smelled like little oranges? Like what did you get at the book fair? Did you get book marks?
Speaker 1: Uh? Huh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I had that stuff, okay, and pencil toppers. I likes different erasers, erasers that smelled like fruit and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had that stuff.
Speaker 1: I just don't think stickers was ever like a big but my kids love stickers. They have a sticker box with all their stickers just loose.
Speaker 3: So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: So you should get them this book because when it's loose, it's like they're not actually being used.
Speaker 3: You're like holding on them.
Speaker 2: And I do like buying stickers, but this I can like put them in fund designs, group them together, and then if I want to use them, I can.
Speaker 1: They'll stay fresh for me. That's a great idea. I got to do it. Yeah, I think your kids will like it. And it's I guess it's in the farmer's market of the grove.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I know we have to talk about hockey and sex crimes. I apologize.
Speaker 1: I haven't been over to the fucking Grove in a minutely, just stickers right now. I used to be a real Grove devotee when I lived in West Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Okay, so.
Speaker 2: Topic, masculinity ruins everything. It's wrong, it's bad, and it's the cause of everything bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: And also like yes, and like men having this whole idea that their children are like their legacy and like they have to accomplish all the things that you failed at or fucked up at, Like that's really actually not what they're for children, So don't put that on.
Speaker 3: I mean, also, oh my gosh, but like I don't know this. This is sad.
Speaker 2: It's sad. This little boy, it's sad. He killed his fucking friend. His friend's dead, raped in front of his other friends. But what the fuck? And then the dad, I mean, my favorite part of that episode, I will be honest, is the dad going whatever, some plans don't work out. Yeah, you gotta listen to everything I say, and it's like you do beat him if he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I don't know what you want from this kid, so true, Like what what sure I told you to?
Speaker 3: You know, anally rape your friend.
Speaker 1: Things don't work out sometimes, stop being a bitch, like get oh my god.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's like that man was.
Speaker 1: Probably abused and his dad was probably abused. It's like just a fucking cycle of violence that you're at liberty to break at any point.
Speaker 2: But yes, straight in the middle of it, like this podcast has broken my brain.
Speaker 3: In the middle of my set. It was like a weird moment. Something happened.
Speaker 2: I go, just so you know, child marriage is legal in most states in America. Yeah, And then it was dead silent, and I go, I made you laugh enough you can hear a hard fact. I go, the laws do that so then your parents can marry you off and then it's not pedophilia.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Was this on stage or was it yeah in oh oh yeah, like was this with a friend group?
Speaker 2: Nope, on stage, No, it's on stage. The silent moment. I don't know how it came up. I should watch the tape, but I just decided.
Speaker 1: And then it was silent, and I go, whatever, I'll do a joke next, but something to think about.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sometimes you gotta you gotta you gotta share a fact. You gotta aero sex crime Factuh.
Speaker 3: No, this is a terrible episode.
Speaker 2: Sports should be fun, like you can win and be a good person, Like I just you could be competitive on the court and not rape your friend with a hockey stick in front of his friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just kind of like can't. It's like why I sort of couldn't get into Friday Night Lights. It's like I just I'm like, I just have a hard time taking sports that seriously.
Speaker 2: That's like I think it's crazy about how cute when Michael B. Jordan and Jesse Plemons had a cute moment when Michael won the oscar?
Speaker 3: Did you see that? Because they were both on Friday Night Lights.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so when he walked off, he like he didn't. I just think that I didn't know that. I was like origin was Friday Night Lights? Well for me, he was in Parenthood and he was in the wire, but like Parenthood was he played one of the girls boyfriends? Yes, yes, yes, yes, and Bruiteville Station. I could not watch, but it like I remember that movie.
Speaker 3: Out Yes, I remember that being like, who's Michael B. Jordan? That sounds like is he related to Michael Jordan?
Speaker 1: And then that but that I remember being his big thing that like was what made people pay attention to him. But also a fun little cameo is Cragan is going to be on the pit. I mean at this point that this episode's out, it's already the episode's already come out. So if you're a Pitthead, get over there, babies, Cragan is in.
Speaker 3: I hope it's a crossover. I hope he's just playing Don Craigan.
Speaker 1: He's like, he moved to Pittsburgh after New York and that's where he is, and he's having heart palpitations and he needs to go see doctor Noah Wiley. All right, let's get into Sister Peg that. What would Sister Peg Do is our weekly segment where we direct you to an organization, a book, a documentary, something to give you more information about what we talked about in the episode, or just on the subject. And we kind of talked in this episode a little bit about how hockey is, you know, not not super diverse, and it's it feels like it's mostly for kids with more money, and we wanted to point you to the Hockey Diversity Alliance, which is an organization to committed to fostering inclusivity, combating discrimination, and advancing diversity within the hockey community. They have education programs, social initiatives, and scholarships. So if you'd like to volunteer or donate, head on over to the Hockeydiversity Alliance dot org. So I'm sure Heated Rivalry is bringing a lot of attention to the hockey world, but let's get some diversity in over there. And yeah, we'll pot that will be linked in our show notes and we'll be posted in our stories the day this episode comes out, and those are saved forever in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which is that s messed up pod go give it a follow.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: And next week there's another episode We Never Stop and it is called Father Dearest, so obviously sick and twisted. Season thirteen, Episode twenty. We're obsessed with you always forever. Please come see me on the road. I think I'm somewhere tonight, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, So yeah, the thirty first or the thirtieth oh of April of April, I've honestly never been home for this long, Like I don't even know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: I'm truly home for like five weeks in a row.
Speaker 2: That's never happened since COVID, and I just like, I can't even believe it.
Speaker 3: It'll be fun. I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna like, oh my god, I can't. I can't even believe I'm gonna be like a regular girl. Well, because yesterday I was like, I love happy hour. I love seeing people like outside of work, you know, like I love being a part of the cult.
Speaker 3: And she Actulia was like, I love that.
Speaker 2: Happy hour is just like a fun experience, a little a little trivial moment for you.
Speaker 1: She's not your reality at all, coming to drown out your job.
Speaker 2: But I was like, yeah, for sure, I just feel like I'm in sex and the city, you know. And and shego happy hour was illegal. I never experienced it. Why, Oh that's such a weird thing, is it true.
Speaker 1: Someone was telling me that bars in New York close early now, like since COVID.
Speaker 3: Honey, I can get you to four am if you want to stay up. I was like, I haven't heard that. I mean some bars do.
Speaker 2: I'm sad with cellcle closes there's less diners whatever, but like, yeah, you could stay out if you want to stay out. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, and why don't you be cool be friends with a bartender and be able to stay later. I don't know what to tell you, fucking dork. And with that, we'll see you next week. Bye, guys. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show note it's for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer. And everybody at exactly right media dun, dun,