Speaker 1: What is your biggest basketball superstition?
Speaker 2: Biggest basketball superstition Before every game, I gotta take a dunk with my shoes off and no clothes on. I gotta sit on the toilet and take a big ass dump. That's my superstition before every game.
Speaker 1: If I don't take my dop, what a game?
Speaker 2: If I don't take no dump with no clothes on before the game, it's a wrap. I don't have a good game. Yeah, I gotta I gotta take my dog. Okay, okay, I'm gonna be ready for the game.
Speaker 1: Get them all out.
Speaker 3: Welcome to no dunks here on the Athletic Podcast Network. We won't be talking about Dwight Howard and his superstition. Can't believe it. It's Thursday. We had a draft, baby on a Wednesday. I'm tasmells with me. It's the man in the middle, Trey Kirby Ayo and the man making it happen as always.
Speaker 4: JD. Hello, what's up?
Speaker 1: JD?
Speaker 4: What's well? We had a draft?
Speaker 1: We got ourselves a draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's jump right in. Let's jump right in because there's a lot to get through. Obviously Cooper went number one. We will see it here. What a shock, Yeah, big time shocker. I was a little surprised by Adam Silver coming out with his opening spiel, welcome to a new era of basketball.
Speaker 1: Every team has a chance. Yes, yeah, I was a little surprised too. It is always such a funny start to the draft where the Mavericks have known they've had the number one pick for a month at this point, and then they get five more minutes to decide on who they're going to take number one in a draft where everybody knows who they're going to take number one. But you know they're a huge winner of this draft, jumping up in the lottery to be able to draft Cooper Flag. You can tell they were going to be a winner because the draft started with a hot mic moment somebody yelling the draft was ragged. That was hilarious to me. But Adam Cooper Flag an obvious choice, the main event, one of the best nicknames already in the NBA. Once he comes to it, I was reminded just how sweaty this guy is when he's playing. When he was there for Duke. But yeah, what a fortunate turn of events for the Mavericks to have the Luca dontch trade completely throw away an era of Dallas basketball. But this is the start of a new era. We'll see how he fits alongside Anthony Davis Lively and then you know gafferd and PJ. Washington. There's a lot of big dudes there, as we've been talking about, but they got to be super excited to get this guy. In interesting timing, decided to go with a go tee though I thought.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, interesting, what else would he do? Really?
Speaker 1: And keep it clean, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I will say this about Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's probably it's kind of anti climactt when you start the draft and you get five minutes of you know his backstory. We know it's coming, but we have to start here with our winners with Cooper Flag because he is the best player in the draft, and we'll get to some surprises and who we perceive is questionable picks a little bit later. But Cooper, I think some good signs here at the draft is that he gave his mom his phone, because even I was surprised.
Speaker 1: I was surprised.
Speaker 3: I think it was probably half an hour later where he was on the desk and they asked him, Hey, you've got your fans in main there in different environments, at your gym, at other restaurants, cheering you on. He said, Oh really, I had no idea, like this guy must know everything. He said, well, my mom's got my phone, so I haven't. I haven't heard anything. And again I say, it's half an hour. He didn't know anything for half an hour. That's great sign. All I'm saying is a great sign to be present in the moment to play basketball because he seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders and he'll be ready to play from day one in Dallas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's got to be The exciting thing is that not only is the youngest player in the draft, he's the most talented player in the draft, and by all accounts, one of the hardest workers in the draft. So you put those three things together and things are looking up in Dallas, which is just amazing considered that four months ago things were looking totally down in Dallas. I mean, would you rather have Luca or Cooper Flag? I don't know. They got Cooper Flag now, and that's that's just crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, let's start towards the top there, because we got Dylan Harper number two, and then you know, I uh, the number three was slightly questionable with the Philadelphia seventy six ers, but we've kind of got the standard one, two, three here at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people knew that Harper was going to go number two. A lot of draft experts were saying he could have been a number one draft pick in another draft or in some of these previous drafts, like he probably would have went number one over Resa sche last year if Harper was available. I think interesting that the Spurs did give Dylan Harper number two. Kawhi Leonard's number, the last guy to wear it there in San Antonio. He is the number two draft pick. I'm a little curious how Harper will fit next to Diaron Fox. You know, Harper is a guy who likes to handle the ball. Obviously, Daron Fox is a point guard there. I wonder if the Spurs would have traded for Darreon Fox, if they could have had a crystal ball and saw that they were gonna end up being able to draft Dylan Harper. I don't know. Nonetheless, they got Dylan Harper's gonna be cool to see him and Wenby growing together going forward. They've got the past two rookies of the Year as well. Stefan Castle like he's easy to overlook at this point. I feel like it's easy to overlook Fox at this point. The Spurs are getting some talent together, and who knows the way the Fox thing turns out. Maybe he carries the team from the perimeter for a couple of seasons as Harper is getting his feet wet in the NBA, and by the time Fox's contract is ready to be moved on from San Antonio, it's time for Harper to take the reins on the outside. I think a smart pick. Everybody knew it was gonna happen. The draft definitely started at number three with VJ. Edge come going to Philadelphia. I loved his interview afterwards. We came from nothing, great intensity, his mom's cry and finally like steadies herself and she's like, he's right. We came from nothing and he's gonna work super hard. The guy gets comped to Victor Oladipo, and even his draft interview reminded me of Victor Oladipo when he went to the Magic He's like, I'm going to outwork everybody. I think kind of weird going on in Philadelphia right now. Yeah, the back court is all young dudes, Maxi, McCain, Edgecumbe. Now maybe they're able to bring back Quentin Grimes. Those are guys who are super athletic, younger dudes on the perimeter. Then they're front court is all old guys. Joel Embiid thirty one years old, Paul George thirty five. You can even look at Andre Drubbing at thirty two, Yabucela at thirty. I don't necessarily know how those two mix. How do you play through the athletic guys, the up tempo guys in the backcourt? Well, the front court just wants to be a little bit more methodical, a little bit more established. I think it's an interesting two timelines thing that's going on in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess kudos to Maury for going with the best available in their eyes at this point, because really we talked about the old guys. The question is, yes, it's two tiers here in two different directions, but will they play? And so you probably make a smart move by going to be j Edgecumb and just saying, hey, we're going young now we will we see Edgecumb playing with Maxie even or is there too much of a duplicity there that you may just need to keep Maxi on the floor while Edgecumb comes off the bench.
Speaker 4: But the fact is the.
Speaker 3: Guy is an extremely athletic player and we will see him in the NBA for a long time. Whether it takes a couple of years, whether or not they can merge these this this young old thing that they got going on, who knows, but I do like he has mom bounced back. Edgecumb also met Buddy Heald after and Buddy held it's yes, he's Buddy Heeled. He's not necessarily a mentor in the NBA, but the fellow Bahamian guy who did a great job in Round number one here with the Golden State Warriors. I mean he really shut down Jalen Green one game that was his best defensive game ever. So if there's anybody to be a mentor, you wouldn't think it's Buddy Heeled. But I think it's just a great guy to have around. So that's yeah. Sixers are very very very interesting. Obviously the talk not going with Ace Bailey there, which we'll get to later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pacers also give Buddy Healed like a ton of credit for helping Aaron Nesmith turn his career around in Indiana. So definitely not a bad guy to listen to it. And I think you're right about the athleticism, Like the Sixers really need some perimeter defense, they really need some athleticism. They were on the slower side of things. I mean a lot of that is because they brought in like a Yabu sel A Drummond. They gave Eric Gornon minutes last year, like Kyle Lowry's getting minutes. They needed an injection of youth. So yeah, I don't necessarily know that three small guards in Maxie McCain and edgecomb is like the perfect mix now, but they need some young dudes who are going to get out and run. It's a long season and those guys have a better chance of staying healthy and contributing all year long. We'll see if edgecumb ever develops a three point shot, if he gets better at finishing like in half court situations. But he's an exciting player and he's definitely got a lot of upside and he fits needs for Philadelphia as well well. It's just going to be a matter of keeping everybody on the court and figuring out the best way to maximivee ever everybody's talents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a huge question with the Sixers as to who they bring back period, because you mentioned Embiat and George guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Maxie also guaranteed money.
Speaker 3: But beyond that gwent Grime's free agent Kelly Ubre player option. Who knows who they bring back other than the young guys that we mentioned. Onto the san Antonio side, they get Dylan Harper, very fun. I liked how dad Ron Harper wasn't even part of the interview. It's the same for me. This is Dylan's time, so we will see how he plays with Daron Fox and to Fox Castle. You make a good point about whether or not if they knew that this was coming, whether or not they would have made the dearon Fox trade. It's a very interesting way to think about it, because, yeah, they now have a young glut like will he play with Fox and Castle? They go at number fourteen and get Carter Bryant, who looks awesome, looks like a prototypical san Antonio spur on the wing, will work harder than anyone. Like you just mentioned about guys working harder than anyone, This guy looks like he's going to be an incredible defender. You mentioned Kawhi. I shouldn't say him in the same sentence, but this guy is gonna play that hard. He's nineteen sixty seven, an incredible defender. So it looks like all good for the San Antonio Spurs. I would say I like the Bryant pick as well.
Speaker 1: I think they got him at fourteen, right, And he was a guy who was could have gone top ten depending on how the draft shook out, if it was different teams up there. Who knows, But yeah, I mean, is he going to be Kauhi? Who knows? He doesn't need to be Kawha. They've got a lot of other mouths to feed there in San Antonio.
Speaker 4: So the timeline, well, yeah, he fits.
Speaker 1: The timeline perfectly. They need some wing defense, they need some athleticism as well. Like he'll be in the mix with Vasal, will certainly be ahead of him in the pecking order, but like he'll be in the mix with Johnson. I believe Jeremy Sohan, like the Spurs are trying to figure out the perfect pieces to fit around Wemby and a guy who can hit open threes and run the court and play defense is always going to have a spot.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to the Atlanta Hawks, who are a winner lock, not necessarily for the who they drafted, although obviously it's a good pick at number twenty three, but.
Speaker 1: Business lock, at least business lock for sure.
Speaker 3: They traded the number thirteen pick to the Pelicans for the twenty three pick and an unprotected twenty twenty six first round pick, which is the most favorable favorable of New Orleans and Milwaukee. You don't see that very often, the more favorable pick. Usually it's the weaker pick. But we're talking about New Orleans or Milwaukee, and if one of them could be bad. You traded the thirteen pick for the twenty three pick this year, and one of those, which could be a replication of another thirteen pick, easily could be a higher Oh definitely, I mean one of those teams could be bad.
Speaker 1: Everybody's looking at New Orleans as the team who would most likely give up a top five pick if things went poorly. You know who knows if Zion's able to play. They've made some weird moves. We are going to get to them in the surprises portion of today's show. Yes, absolutely, but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that the Bucks are the ones who are for that pick. Lillard is going to be missing the majority of the season, if not all of the season, so it would have to be kind of like San Antonio Spurs David Robinson goes down, so then they can tank things out and get the pick, you know, if want to get yeah, like I mean a Kyle Kuzma led team I don't think would be getting out of the lottery, but that would require Giannis going down. Nonetheless, the Hawks get two looks at it, right the Pelicans, which is more likely. Maybe the Bucks happens all to just be able to trade down ten spots and get a guy that they could have maybe taken at thirteen in Asa Nouel, who has Atlanta ties, played at University of Georgia and now we'll be playing here in Atlanta. Pretty cool, good stuff, I think for the Hawks to offset the pick that they owe to the Spurs next season, it's like Hawks are not tanking right now. Right sure, they made the trade for Porzingis, they had the number one draft pick last year, Trey Young is sticking around. They're still trying to win and now they have a chance of getting a lottery picked next year. Auncy Sala has been in the job for like a month and a half at this point, and he's made two great trades in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about the Kris STAPs Porzingis deal and wondered how much of a risk this is for the Alantahawks, or that was for the Alannahawks giving up the number twenty two pick for kristaphs Porzingis. We got to be clear, it may be we may have seen the best day of kristaphs Porzingis in the past. We seriously don't know, so maybe that was a risk. But then you turn around after trading the number twenty two pick and getting the number twenty three pick in this one for the thirteen, they draft Asa Newell, who, yes, maybe not a prototypical star in this league, but by some accounts, the analytics model view him more favorably than the eye test.
Speaker 1: And that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: And then, yes, as you said, Aunci Salle making the move to get that twenty twenty six first round pick as well, so they are making sure that things don't go awry immediately by giving up a pick for Kristaps Porzingis and if that doesn't go well, then there's the real but you get the pick next year again, which could be very solid. I doubt it's going to be the Bucks just because, yeah, I said to Kumpo is the guy.
Speaker 1: But more likely the Pelicans for sure. But all it takes is Jannis missing forty games or something, you know, and then the Bucks are definitely falling down the standings either way. Betting against the Pelicans right now is probably a smart move for Atlanta.
Speaker 3: It sure is, yeah, which we'll get to. But Ason Nowell again, as you said, sort of a local guy at six po' nine, it makes sense that he could be part of the Atlanta Hawks path, you know, giving him a couple of years to get better. And yes, kudos to ense Sola and then the new hires there and Brian Graham, Pierre Dunwitty made something happen here, so kudos to that.
Speaker 1: Hawks are gonna need to be looking for another ball handler, I think off the bench, probably like Laverte is a free agent. I believe maybe they find a good deal for him to come back for a little bit cheaper. But right now, if Trey Young were to miss any sort of time, there's not necessarily somebody to take the reins and lead the offense, like Jalen Johnson can be a good creator. I think he's better out of like the short role in making plays off of Trey Young. Daniels is really erratic as a playmaker. Sometimes he makes beautiful passes, you're not necessarily confident when he's driving into the land to shoot floaters. It's just very up and down with him. So I think that'll be the next area to address. Somebody else who can take back up point guard minutes for the for Atlanta here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to see what they do because it would be great to see Jalen Johnson on the floor because he does so much on the floor. Yeah, would be good to see Kobe Buffkin in a backup role.
Speaker 1: He was banged up last year too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they seem to have enough guys to handle the ball.
Speaker 3: If Dyson Daniels kind of takes a few steps down on the pecking order in terms of ball handling, then we were seeing some things a zacharyisa Che obviously having that as well. There's a lot of guys there. Looking forward to seeing what the Hawks become even here in twenty five twenty six. Moving on to the Phoenix Suns, who are a winner at the draft. Didn't think I would be saying that, but for a couple of reasons. Do you want to start with drafting a seven to two kid from Duke or do you want to start with the trade?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's no. I guess we'll start with Mallowatch because to me, he was one of the best fits in the draft. The Sons need a center, they got a center. It hit me right. The thing though, is that he's ten years younger than Devin Booker, so maybe Maliwatch isn't hitting his peak when they need him to be hitting his peak, because if Devin Booker's still trying to win in Phoenix, he's not waiting around for a teenager to be good. So that's why they swung the deal from Mark Williams. Pretty weird that the Sons are just like, we want what the Hornets had last year Nick Richards at the trade deadline. Now they've got Mark Williams coming in, kind of similar to what they did when they got the two big men from the Portland Trailblazers. That his use of Nurkic and Drew u Banks at the time that didn't work out out for Phoenix, apparently looking at teams with bad defenses and saying we want the backbone. Maybe not the smartest move. So the twenty twenty nine first that the Suns traded is the worst of Cleveland, Utah and Minnesota, right, not the biggest risk. I don't think for Phoenix to throw this trade in there because they need somebody who's a little bit more ready to play in Mark Williams. The risk to me is the health for Mark. Oh. The deal was done with the Lakers, right, they looked at his physical and maybe they were just having buyers remorse and said we want to get out of this. But there are definitely concerns for Mark Williams if he can stay on the court. But when he plays, he's pretty effective, right, Like he scores inside, he gives it an effort defensively, and he's a really, really big body. So I think the Suns addressed their center position. They might have spent a lot of money to do it, but yeah, they're just are a lot of pick capital to do it. But they're just trying to dig their way out of a hole that they've been in for the past season and a half since the Bradley Beald deal got done.
Speaker 3: You're right in that it just seems like maybe two picks for Mark Williams is a little bit much. So they traded the twenty nine pick here in this draft and a twenty twenty nine first round pick, So it's down the road and it's going to be the worst of Cleveland, Utah, or Minnesota. So you'd think one of those team is going to be good. So it's not going to be a great pick for a guy that just failed a physical. Yeah, now, and everybody ridiculing this saying why would you pay so much for a guy who failed physical? But at the same time, I think a lot of media would say when the Lakers made that deal for him.
Speaker 4: That's a good deal.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's gonna play with Lebron, he's gonna play with Luca at that point. And at the same time, you're right, he doesn't play a lot, that's obviously a huge problem, and he doesn't play defense all that great. But at the same I look at it both ways. He disputed the failed physical. He was quoted saying I don't think it was solely because of my physical I felt like I could have contributed to them, but obviously they had second thoughts, basically saying it wasn't the physical, they just didn't want me, or they gred at the pick immediately. His agent obviously disputed it and saying that's not the case. So they getting Mark Williams for two picks to go along with Malwatch, who looks great period. I was scared watching those block highlights during the draft. The guy is common for everything, a seven to six wingspan, He is a block machine. He's nineteen years old and he started playing like six years ago, and so you can I start to think of guys like Pascal Siakam who started playing really late, like he's gonna develop. Whether his timeline matches Devin Booker is a great question because it does seem like it's going to take a little bit of time.
Speaker 4: But at the center spot, now the phoenix suns.
Speaker 3: If you combo those two guys, Malwatch doesn't have to play a ton, Mark Williams doesn't have to play a ton. They're gonna play over Nick Richards or Ohsa Goodaro. So they're trying to get good real fast.
Speaker 1: Their center rotation is a lot better today than it was yesterday, and the Sun's paid a smaller price than the Lakers did at the trade deadline, even though the trade did and end up happening, because what was that that was connect and I think three first round picks for Mark Williams at the time, so better job for Phoenix here. It was just very weird to see draft a center that everybody was thinking it was going to go to the Suns, and then they did the Mark Williams trade within seconds. It felt like it felt like they made two calls to the league. They're like, all right, here's our draft pick. Hang up. All right, here's the trade we're doing. Hang up. Also, I think it was very funny. Vasily Metchich was traded from Charlotte to Phoenix in the Nick Richards trade at the trade deadline last night, had his eight million dollar option picked up kind of out of nowhere, and then shipped back to Charlotte from Phoenix in the Mark Williams trade. Eight million dollars will buy you a lot of wigs. It's all look good.
Speaker 4: It's so many wigs.
Speaker 3: I hope Mark Williams can get healthy because it is a guy, clearly who hasn't played a lot. Forty four games last year, nineteen the year before that, and forty three in his rookie year. So yeah, I guess the physical did show some problems.
Speaker 1: At the very least, his game logs show that he's missing time with injuries. Are these chronic injuries that aren't going to go away? We don't know. Different doctors have different opinions, and it seems like, at least with the way things went down with the Lakers, you can find somebody to say what you need them to say. Apparently the Sons are more confident that Mark Williams is going to stay on the court, and if he does, that definitely helps them out.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move on to the Washington Wizards. They're a winner in my eyes. Trey, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I think? So? I mean, they were hoping, it seemed like to get Ace Bailey. I'll get to the jazz here in a second. But I do like Trey Johnson as a player. Tabbed as the best shooter in the draft, the most shooting talent, I guess Jay Billis was kind of debating between him and con Canipple. You know, Canipple is a catch and shoot guy, whereas Trey Johnson is kind of like a new age Rip Hamilton, coming off screens, movement shooter, not shooting mid rangers like Rip Hamilton, but three pointers as well. I like him with Bub Carrington just a little stray that there are so many other ball handlers in the way of both Bub and now Trade Johnson. CJ. McCollum. Trade just got done. They got Marcus Smart, they got Chris Middleton cool exactly. There's a lot of different players in Washington. The Vets aren't going to stick around for the whole season, not all of them at least. But you know, Trade Johnson I think is a good pick for them. He's going to be a guy that at the very least is an awesome sixth man. Seems like a bucket. I like watching those kind of players. He's fun to watch, I think. So we'll see if he ends up being the star of the Wizard's need. I don't know if he has that kind of upside. But I do like the pick.
Speaker 3: You know, I just more so than the pick, although it's a good pick, I just like the mentality that the Wizards are going forward with.
Speaker 1: They're at least saying, we're basically.
Speaker 3: Trying to copy the Thunder, in my opinion, just get as many young guys as possible. And they don't have a they don't have any sort of MVP on their team, and that we just mentioned, yeah that is a problem, but they do have just young guys who are going to play ball.
Speaker 1: Trey Johnson here is.
Speaker 3: Quotes, I don't really have a life outside of basketball, and that was up to me. All your dreams is in the gym. They ain't nowhere else, you know, so and it's it's got that oka see Chill. I mean we saw their celebration after the winning. They don't They're just there's just love playing ball and they're just as simple as that. So him cool Bally keishon George alexar bub.
Speaker 4: Carrington super young, super super young young.
Speaker 3: But I do like the idea if you lump together them saying goodbye to Jordan Poole in the trade, they are, They're just who they are now and they basically tried to take another path here with you know, maybe I'm I'm trying to think that try and emulate the Thunder like a lot with in my eyes by projection because I think a lot of teams should be, and maybe I'm trying to emulate that because the Wizards now have some front office ties to the Oklahoma City Thunder. But I think it just it's just smarter than what they did last year.
Speaker 4: So that's all.
Speaker 1: That's all I think, just.
Speaker 3: In theory, just going back, I mean, there was just a terrible team yes last year with Jordan Poole leading their team air quotes, leading their team. Now they're going in a different direction, so I just think that's smart. And they also get you know, via trade Will Riley a little bit later at the number twenty one pick, who again a tough worker and will work hard on this team.
Speaker 4: But they'll lose games.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I mean the six or the Wizards are probably going to lose sixty plus games still, But if they only lose sixty two, that's awesome. Twenty wins would be an improvement for the Wizards. They'll be down at the bottom of the standings, but they are on the come up now and since the new front office is taken over, I have like the general direction for the Wizards. I thought they were a fun watch the second half of the season. Will Riley has to become a no Dunk's favorite though he's from Kitchener, Ontario and he played college basketball at the University of Illinois. We simply must and.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 1: I'm also given a winner to the Utah Jazz. I like taking Ace Bailey taking a swing at number five. Who cares about workouts when you have pedigree? Is basically what Danny and Austin Angers say, and I loved his charisma. In his pre draft interview with Monica mcnug They're like, what are you most excited about it? Like, I'm ready a hooop, I'm ready to assigned that contract, which I thought was pretty funny. Utah that was looking for a star, and I think once you got past the top two picks, Ace Bailey is maybe the biggest star upside. A lot of people have different comps for him. Some people see a Kevin Durant like character and that he's tall and lanky and a really good shooter. So was Rudy Gay. You know, Rudy Gay is definitely more where I see a guy like Ace Bailey. But I think he's got a big opportunity in Utah because they really need somebody to be their franchise cornerstone. Marknen is their best player right now. I don't know how long term he is for the Jazz. But once Ace Bailey gets over the shock of being selected by Utah, he didn't necessarily look thrilled. I didn't. Once he gets over that, he'll see that he's probably in a pretty good situation. And what it seemed like he was looking for throughout the pre draft process a place to stretch his game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think Will Hardy will have a good effect on him. Will Hardy's schemes and strategies with those guys is everybody moving, everybody touching the ball, and everybody was buying into a team that lost a lot, and he has to buy into that, and so that is questionable.
Speaker 1: But he's got the talent.
Speaker 3: And so they did take a chance here for a team that dropped to five to be able to get a guy who, as you said, you know, top three in terms of talent. Wise, you could put him up even higher because he's got such a ceiling. And then to go get Walter Clayton Junior, who's obviously a champ with the Gators. He's twenty two, he's older, but he seems like he's such a modern player. You know, watching his tape, he can make shots, his percentages are great, and you had Rich Paul high fiving his baby after. So if Rich Paul is in the house, baby, Rich Paul is attaching himself to you, You're probably gonna be good, I imagine. I mean, he's gonna get paid, baby's gonna be well off. But I do I do think.
Speaker 1: The baby well off. I do think he's great for the baby. Walter Clayton, the third baby. I don't know if it was a baby baby or a girl baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good call. Yeah, because Walter Clayton is a junior. But overall, I do think the Jazz run the right type of environment for very, very talented guys who want to buy in just a little bit. Well, I think Will Hardy will hook them in. So if Walton Walter Clayton's making shots and Ace Bailey is dedicated, I know it's it's an if. With Ace Bailey specifically, they got players.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the Clayton pick too. I was a little surprised they traded up. They only moved up three spots, but they gave away the number forty three pick that Will happen tonight and then a couple of seconds in the future. The Jazz have a ton of picks, so they can afford to do that kind of thing if they if they like somebody, which apparently they do with Walter Clayton Junior. But it's just a crowded backcourt. I think in Utah they got Colin Sexton still around. They drafted Kiante George a couple of years ago, they drafted Isaiah Collier last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is Jordan Clarkson still on the payroll, I'm not sure, but they've got a lot of options there. To me, this just kind of signals that with Austin Ainge coming into the front office, they don't really care about anything that happened in the past. They're starting over and maybe this is the guard they're going to have, But there are a lot of people who are going to be getting opportunities in Utah and maybe Clayton is the guy that finally pops for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good point. They have a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Sex and Clarkson both have one more season left, but they are looking towards the future. Other than Larry Mark and then they don't have a lot of guys who are helping them win. Frankly, yeah, but yeah, one of those Sex and Clarkson will be moved at some point, I do.
Speaker 1: And the Jazz are definitely trying to tank away this season as well, after aj Debantsa went to BYU where like the two main guys who are funding his nil deal are Danny Ainge and Ryan Smith, who are big timers for the Utah Jazz. I think in a perfect world they would figure out a way to win the lottery and draft him number one next season. We will see if it happens.
Speaker 3: Before we get to some of our surprises and steals. I do want to mention the Memphis Grizzlies as a winner as well, getting Cedric Coward, who at six' five finally finally will give them a wing because that they've been looking. FOR i, mean he's a, Monster he's got a seven to two wings. Ban he's a, senior so he's. OLDER i think The grizzlies want experience Around morant And TRIPLE. J like they've they've moved into that era now and they just want a wing to help.
Speaker 4: Out Jalen wells can now move to the two guard.
Speaker 3: SPOT i think they're just way better defensively now With Cedric. Coward, now they gave up the number sixteen pick to get Them Cedric coward at, eleven plus they gave up a first round pick that they just got From orlando For Desmond bin in twenty twenty. Eight so it may not be a great, pick but it's the number sixteen, pick the twenty twenty eight, pick and two second round picks For Cedric. COWARD i just think he makes logical. Sense, finally for The grizzlies who've been looking for a, forward a, WING a, WING i should, say, FORE i don't know a billion.
Speaker 4: Years sounds like they've.
Speaker 1: Been looking for a wing Since Chandler. Parsons, yeah for a long long. Time so, YEAH i like that this guy was a big time combine, riser a lot of comparisons To Jalen williams and that kind of a late, bloomer and has the crazy wingspan for a strong body as. Well the fact that he's a little bit older lets me to believe that The grizzlies do want somebody who can come in and help right away after Trading Desmond, bane but likely Keeping jaw and then figuring out whatever kind of deal For Jared Jackson junior are tough for my, Guy Gigi, jackson but maybe that was just a down. Year grizzlies silver lining and he's a bench piece for. Them i'd just love to see a guy who can go From division three to THE. Nba doesn't happen all that. Often first two GUYS i think of Her Duncan robinson And Devin george way back When Cedric coward was able to do. That and then On draft night he got Called Colin. Coward so you, know ups and.
Speaker 3: Downs, YES i, Mean malika is on the mic for like three and a half hours. Straight she was killing. It she did Say Colin coward. Once you, KNOW i chuckled And, danielle WHO i was sitting, with, said what are you laughing? At AND i, Said i'm A i'm.
Speaker 1: A sports media.
Speaker 3: Geek and so to Hear Colin coward Versus Cedric coward, haha. Funny, yeah she didn't, laugh but it, was, yeah. Funny, anyways that guy as a. Senior as you, said it is interesting With Maphis grizzlies that they're not they're not trying to get super. YOUNG i think they are going to try one year here With Thomas islo Giving morant And Jared Jackson junior eight ton of. Shots but these other guys Like coward Now Jalen, wells as you Mentioned Gg, jackson, like they do have a lot of wings to help out those. Guys so that's that's the route they're, going and that sort of makes.
Speaker 1: Sense if you were A, gm would you be nervous to draft a guy whose last name is? Coward scared of the? Moment absolutely.
Speaker 3: NOT i would embrace, it AND i Think memphis, will, like you, know there'd be some people making fun of, him BUT i think that locker room is gonna they're gonna embrace.
Speaker 4: It they're gonna love it there yet right.
Speaker 1: They don't no, Smoke, yeah, Exactly No coward's. Here maybe he'll go By koward starting.
Speaker 4: Now See Cedric.
Speaker 3: Koward any, Steals, YEAH i got a Few coast lottery steals of the, draft AND i think it started with the first non lottery, pick The oka See thunder Getting Thomas sorber From georgetown at.
Speaker 1: FIFTEEN i will, say my phone and my computer keep auto correcting his last name To. Sorbet so this to me is a very sweet. Pick only nineteen Years old got a big, body long, arms plays on both ends of the. Ball okac has a championship. Team they've got an awesome. Roster it's all locked, down but eventually it's gonna get, expensive and the guys that they are gonna have to think about saying goodbye to is a guy Like Isaiah hartenstein once his deal becomes. Onerous With jadab getting paid with check getting paid, alongside say, SO i Think storber's got a little time to. Develop he'll probably spend a lot of time in THE G league early next, season get some minutes here and, there but eventually he'll be The hertenstein, REPLACEMENT i think For, okac once he's gotten his standing in THE nba and they're ready to kind of cycle through role players because the way The thunder are, built that's got how they're gonna have to do. It they're gonna pay their big, three and they are gonna probably pay him as much as they, can keep them, along keep them around for as long as they. Can but they got all these draft, picks and the theory is that they're going to hit on enough of these draft picks that they keep the role or they keep good role players a good supporting cast around their big. Three so being able to get a guy Like Thomas, sorber who all the smart draft people were, Like, oh he's going to be pretty, solid and then The thunder are the ones that draft. Him you're, like, oh he's gonna be. Good because there are certain teams that just get the prestige. Zone it's like back in the day When Kyle anderson was drafted to The. Spurs everybody's, Like, oh that's the steal of the draft right, there because he's the New. Boris do you, know some teams just get the benefit of the. Doubt AND i think this is a good move for The thunder to Get, sorber who will be like their third big man right now kind of a luxury for them to, have but in the future he could be a really important.
Speaker 3: Piece it does feel, like, yoh, okay see he has taken over for The, spurs or from The, SPURS i should, say as the team that has young guys that are. GOOD i, Mean Niko latovich didn't play a minute this year for The. Thunder he's going to be. Good they have him, after you, know a year of injury to add To, sorber who's a. Kid he's nineteen years, old so that'll take a couple of. Years but, yes it seems like the coverard is full and, okay see beyond the three guys that are super super young as as their main guys In.
Speaker 1: Jadab another THING i love was The magic Getting Jace richardson at number twenty five to mean maybe the steal of the. Draft. Interesting he's, small he's Not Jason richardson his dad as an. Athlete he's only six foot. Two but The magic or a team that can really cover for. Him they've got big wings In boncaro And Franz. Wagner Jonathan isaac is a huge dude who's a. Defender they've got a lot of centers. Around they played great. DEFENSE i think they can deal with a guy who's six foot two who still competes. Defensively he'll be Behind Jalen suggs to start the. Season Desmond bain is a starter for this team as, well so it'll probably Be richardson coming off the. BENCH i just like what he gives. Them he moves the, ball he can shoot it from, Outside he's got really good. Feel he's a defensive. COMPETITOR i think it's going to be like a challenge between him And Anthony black to see who sticks around more long. Term maybe they both. Do probably would need some more shooting From Anthony. Black BUT i think this was a good get for The magic to Get richardson so far down in the draft at twenty, five when he was a guy who at times was a top FIFTEEN k at the very. Least AND i don't, KNOW i just like betting on dads who were good in THE na as. Well their sons often turn out pretty. Solid SO i like The magic And Jase.
Speaker 3: Richardson, Yes and what they paid For Desmond bane makes them have to develop some younger, players whether it's going to Be Anthony, black who they've had there as a kid at point, guard or, yeah Mister jason taking. Over, Yeah i'm calling him mister all, right Mister. Jase he's way too young for that's a cool, nickname Mister.
Speaker 4: Jase.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe just came naturally because it just rolls off the. Tongue feels like a cool. Nickname they need guys to develop off the, bench and they need someone now let's stick In, florida The Miami.
Speaker 1: Heat what do they do that's smart like them Getting Caspers yakkachonas at number twenty top ten pick at times during the. Cycle some teams even had him mocked at number. FIVE i remember seeing The heat really needed secondary ball handler Besides Tyler, Hero Terry rozier is not cutting. It he's a good outside, Shooter yakachonas. Is he can handle the ball in pick and. ROLLS i think he'll fit nicely in their system with a lot of dribble handoffs with Bam. Adebayo he doesn't have to be the number one guy Since hero, is But hero's definitely over text as a number one, Guy SO i think he just fits in really solid. There to, me kind of like A Goren dragic type of character who had some really good seasons playing For Eric spolstra In. Miami just creative and seems like a pro.
Speaker 3: Already, yeah the comparisons To dragic are, there and it does feel like A heat type of. Player will they have enough offense on that, team that's the. Question but will he be able to? CONTRIBUTE i think that's a fair. Question so it's a fun name to, Say oh, yeah so, many but he definitely.
Speaker 4: Feels like a guy who's ready to. Contribute it maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe It's spurs slash thunder slash. Bias i'm showing here with The heat that we'll be able to develop him or get him. Going but if he plays like, dragish then he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Play The heat are definitely a team that gets the benefit of the doubt as, well, like oh they did it.
Speaker 3: Again, yeah but you're, Right Jase, Richardson and this pick here with The heat guys that were deemed way higher for a, while and so it feels like a good pick for them all.
Speaker 4: Rights moving on from guys who are teams that made good. Picks now it's the fun. Part.
Speaker 3: Surprises, yeah, yeah we didn't go, winners, losers and, steals but this one sure feels like big l for The New Orleans. Pelicans are are we conflating it with The Jordan poole move or is this just? SEPARATE i think it's. SEPARATE i think this of itself is it's.
Speaker 1: QUESTIONABLE i was not as down on The Jordan pool move as you.
Speaker 4: Were that's a percent weird.
Speaker 1: DRAFT i think for The pelicans to draft a point guard immediately after trading for a point guard In Jordan, Poole pool's got this year and next year left on his. Deal so maybe the theory for The pelicans is That fears takes over as the ball handler After pool has spent his time In New. ORLEANS i guess there's an opportunity for ball handling With pool being there and De Jon Tay murray is coming off Inn achilles. INJURY i think that's easy to forget at this. Point he got jal end Of, january so will he be up to speed at the start of the. Season is there still opportunity For fears to get on the. COURT i don't. Know he's got a great, handle he's super, quick needs to improve his. Jumper sounds Like Monte ellis to. Me but he's from The chicago, suburbs SO i got a root for this. Guy he's An illinois, boy.
Speaker 3: And he's a, great great, Name Jeremiah, fears very solid. Name but such a question as to if he can play defense along With Jordan, poole and this is.
Speaker 1: Going to be a bad defensive.
Speaker 3: Team, yeah, exactly, Exactly and it's just getting deeper and deeper and deeper when we get to their thirteen pick And Derek. Queen but just sticking with the, backcourt we all hoped here In atlanta That Jontay murray would turn around the defense. Here that didn't. Happen Johntay murray won't start the. Season even if he does on the, floor he won't start at all Healthy, Defensively he's not going to be the Old Jontay murray that we saw In San. Antonio so that's a questionable three men guard rotation. There of, course they've got others In Jose alvarado still there to make it. Happen they've got others to cover for them In Herb jonesy And Trey. Murphy but that's not even the weird pick for The.
Speaker 1: Pelicans, no The Derek. Queen the weird part Is Derek. QUEEN i wanted The bulls to take him at. TWELVE i think he's a talented. GUY i like the style of basketball he. Plays i'm a sucker for big men who have, skills even if they're giving it back, defensively because the guy's not a super, athlete not great size as a rim protect. PROTECTOR i also would have liked The bulls to accept This pells, trade WHICH i assumed had to be there For chicago at. Twelve if it was, there For atlanta as. Well but the fact That New orleans traded twenty three in this, draft which ended up being nouel to The. Hawks throwing in the twenty twenty six unprotected first after a twenty one win. Season when you've got one of the most unreliable superstars In Zion williamson leading your. Team this seems crazy and way too much confidence put Into zion's health By Joe dumars And Troy weaver down in The. Pelicans, like the trade probably would have been fine if they put any protections on. It, like The hawks probably would still do this trade If New orleans is, like this is a top four protected twenty twenty six pick that's coming to, them right, RIGHT i think The hawks still say yes to, that but instead completely, unprotected which is just so much downside For New.
Speaker 3: Orleans, Yeah, So Derek, queen with the connections To, maryland it sure feels Like Troy weaver coming in and doing something THAT i would, do Oh.
Speaker 1: TORONTO i like.
Speaker 3: That you, know he's got ties To, maryland ties to The washington, area and and so there's that. Part you give up a twenty three, pick and as you, said next, year what could be the more favorable the better Of milwaukee or themselves of their own pick In New. Orleans doesn't seem all that good for a guy who ain't a great defender to be Beside. Zion he's not an incredible shooter to be Beside. Zion and that's that's the. Weird it's weird next those. Two, yeah and then along with The Jordan poole backcourt along With Jeremiah, fears there ain't no. Defense it just doesn't seem like they know exactly what they're doing, there but they're going for it right, here right, now so you, can you, know you can say that LIKE i was saying that about even The memphis Christ, is like they are trying to get players who can play right, here right now or Alongside, Zion but there's so much going on on the court and off the court With zion, there so there's just so many. Questions, YEAH i can't get super excited for What dumars And Troy weaver have done to start there the.
Speaker 1: Regime, yeah the early days Of Joe dumar's tenure In detroit were awesome when he built the championship. Team this is more like the latter years Of Joe dumar's tenure In, detroit where it doesn't seem like they have a plan and they're just acquiring, players even if there's a lot of. Overlap the only like upside to me is that now people are looking at The pelicans' front office more than they're looking at The bulls front office right. Now because this was they seem to be the biggest head scratcher of the entire, draft though maybe our next surprise as. Well The Brooklyn nets are up. THERE i think this was such a surprise that they actually used all five of their draft picks in the first. Round they had won sixth of the first round draft. Picks last, NIGHT i was split in time between like The Kendrick PERKINS espn OR abc broadcast and THE espn Two Bob meyer STEVEN. A smith, broadcast AND i THINK i WAS i was more In myers mode at this, point and they just couldn't Bel they're, like there's, surely surely The nets aren't going to use all five of, these and they use three of. Them they're, like surely they're not going to use the next. Two but they used all five of, them and who they drafted was basically the same player five times. Over at number eight they take they Take Jegor, demon The Eager, demon which was the first reach of the. Draft the first, time people were, like what this guy went number, eight The Russian Josh, giddy big tall point guard who doesn't really shoot the ball that well but passes it. Beautifully not a great off the dribble, player but can play in the pick and. Roll he was a guy that was a top five potential pick at times during the, season but then nobody trusted his, shot so that was seemed like a reach For. Brooklyn then at number, nineteen they Take Nolan, trior another point, guard surprising when they just drafted a point guard eleven picks prior twenty two the trade with The. Hawks they Get Drake, powell who is not a point. Guard gotta like. That people say he's the best wings stopper in this. DRAFT i think that's a valuable piece For brooklyn to pick. Up but then things went weird. Again number twenty, six they Take Ben, saraff another point guard who was called The Israeli DiAngelo russell on the draft last. Night what The israeli Di'angelo? Russell you, know like a bigger guard who plays from the outside looks to score. FIRST i have never even considered a phrase like that in my. Way, NO i Agree israeli D'Angelo. Russell but they had one more, pick number twenty. Seven they Drafted Danny, wolf who was a seven foot tall point. Guard interesting skill, set like the guy is one of the most freakish players to watch his highlight package to see a guy that big and, tall but also like bulky handling the ball and making plays from the. Perimeter but it felt like The nets basically drafted four point guards that are, like we'll see if any of them are, good and if one of them, IS i guess we did our job this draft that was, very very. STRANGE i think this team is my early leader for worst team in the league, status WHICH i kind of think is the. Point?
Speaker 3: Sure is it them just drafting guys and then hoping that someone will offer them something decent in the days to, come BECAUSE i, imagine Like Bobby marx was thinking And Bob myers was thinking that if there's a good deal for one of these, picks that they would make. It because you're not going to play five. ROOKIES i, Suppose I'M i know that's who the roster currently.
Speaker 1: IS i mean it.
Speaker 3: Is It's Nick, Claxon Cameron, Johnson Noah clowney three. Quitehead those are the guaranteed contracts for next. Year, yeah plus five. Rookies so, yeah it doesn't it doesn't make.
Speaker 1: Sense but they did the deal with The rockets last year so that they could get control of their drafts, back and basically they have this year's draft and next year's draft before they start owing picks again in twenty twenty. Seven so it makes sense for The nets to be bad next, season and it appears they're going to be quite bad next.
Speaker 3: Season let's get to another, surprise which was, very very very rising at number, sixteen The blazers Drafting Hanson yang and to see him come up from the bleachers because he wasn't ready to be picked until, whenever extremely late in the first.
Speaker 4: Round he didn't even know.
Speaker 3: If he was gonna get picked this night On wednesday, night it could have been On thursday in round number. Two but he's sitting up. There the jacket blazer is not. Buttoned you see him get up and he's trying to button that thing forever as he walks down to accept him at number sixteen to The Portland Trail. Blazers and here a couple of his. Quotes he, said at the end of the, day this was beyond my wildest, imagination even though The blazers did work him out a month, ago and he, said it was just a big. Surprise so he's going To, portland, yep Where DeAndre ayton is still there And Robert williams is still there, ye And Don Van klingon is still. There that being, Said ayton And williams only have another year, guaranteed And hanson's going to Be Hanson yang is going to be a long term. Plan he's not going to come out and do wonderful things this. Year so it's okay That eighting And williams are. THERE i think that's totally fine trade.
Speaker 1: Bait, Yeah, like, honestly The pelicans need to be on the phone with The blazers. Today Freight williams one of their. Centers, yeah it's like there's a million guards In New orleans and there's a million centers In. Portland something needs to happen here where in exchange. Personnel but, uh, yeah the Young, Hanson Hanson, YOUNG i don't know what it's going to say on the back of his. JERSEY i guess we will. See, YEAH i love the comps immediately Like chinese. Yokic he even wears number. Fifteen he can handle the ball a little. Bit but uh, yeah this guy seems to be so. Green he's so green that when he came To Adam, silver he shook his hand like a, gentleman like what do you mean hand to, hand like like a like a normal handshake like, this or like rather than like, yeah broing down like a Like Adam silver went for the thing and they's, like, nope, nope nice to meet, you. Sir that's how green this guy. Is Jason quick reported At The athletic that his hat didn't fit properly because he didn't get measured for his cap like the other top prospects, did WHICH i didn't even know was a. Thing hat measurements for the green room, guys but not for the in the crowd. Guys everybody had him mocked as like a mid to late second. Rounder Mike schmiz used to be a draft. Express he's one of the draft gurus for The Portland Trail, blazers and it's not uncommon for him to just identify a guy he likes and The blazers make a move to get. Him it was definitely surprising that this was who they went. AFTER I LIKE i, SAID i was Watching STEVEN a And Bob myers at this point and they had no clue who he, was and they just kept calling him this, player so we'll see what he. Does BUT i love a guy coming out of the stands very, Cool it's very.
Speaker 3: Funny you could see his hat wasn't ready to be put on his head because Even Adam silver had this say, here this is what you, do and literally helped them unlock the, plastic you, know just to just put the plastic back on.
Speaker 4: It, now that was not sized nothing.
Speaker 3: READY i guess it does make sense that they all size them so they're not just sitting on the top of their, head you, know and it's not yet close to a.
Speaker 1: Size AND i, MEAN i, GUESS i guess just in, general they probably ordered the biggest hats possible because these are big, guys got big. Heads, yeah a lot of long hair now at this. Point but, YEAH i didn't know that that was such a benefit to get the properly sized. Hat when you are a draft, prospect what do you think of The draft hats by the, way kind of they're like they're. White they got a little like a tallness to, them team color, bill pretty pretty standard. Hats it looked like pretty.
Speaker 3: Standard i'm okay with standard for the, draft like fairly. STANDARD i MEAN i did like how was a little bit. Bigger that's the way things are. GOING i don't need Any dad. Hats you don't need them to he's. Small, YEAH i think it goes. Fine, yeah when you said, it it didn't really resonate with me BECAUSE i didn't think anything of. THEM i guess kind of like not super. Memorable, yeah it's not quite like The thunder accepting their championship. Hats and Like Jalen williams going On instagram after, saying what was, this nobody gave a, shot nobody tried anything. Like it didn't didn't register with me like. That it just they're just. Hats but there was somebody who also had a hat on top of their.
Speaker 4: Head this is a bit of A segway stretch.
Speaker 3: Here but but let's get into The Toronto raptors Selecting Calin Murray, boyles and the question, is Does Colin Murray boyles want to play for The Toronto raptors because after he got, up we got the clip for you here on. YouTube it took him a. While he's, deliberating no shaking out of the head and a fuck funniest reaction of the.
Speaker 1: Night for.
Speaker 3: Sure it's clear there that he's feeling so some kind of, way and it looks like he's feeling.
Speaker 1: Upset BUT i GOTTA i gotta go.
Speaker 3: To the opposite direction, immediately with the opposite opposite. Field he wants to be, THERE i think after listening to him do his interviews ON NBA, Tv Taylor rooks like he's an incredible defender and he wants to work, hard and it didn't resonate to me that he wants to leave after the. Interview, also Maybe i'm bringing something into, this but his girlfriend at the, table who, immediately like a couple of minutes, later was caught on camera, saying oh my, god while wearing The Toronto raptors.
Speaker 4: HAT i, Thought, okay nobody wants to be.
Speaker 3: There but then you saw the far shot of the, table like twenty minutes, later she's still wearing the. Hat, yeah great sign that she's still dedicated to The Toronto. Raptors you know you THINK i already here OR jd already hear?
Speaker 1: You is he gonna leave? You guy hasn't even gotten The toronto. Yet, YEAH i. Know but did he want to be?
Speaker 4: There it was the question no obviously not, No. NO i.
Speaker 3: Know he went on THAT NBA tv interview and he basically, SAID i just said it because this has been this was the moment of my, life my experience. Here and so he AS i, said, like he took a few, seconds he's thinking to himself and then he then he dropped a fuck AND i THINK i, THINK i think he's saying to, himself this is. IT i did, It and so it's more like a soaking it all in rather THAN i don't want to be. There because he, talked he spoke great things About toronto in that. Interview he already planned out what he's going to do On instagram that he's gonna put His drake song in there and he's gonna tag him And i'm going to tag. Him so he, knows, like you wouldn't say that if he didn't want to be. THERE i don't. THINK i, MEAN i guess, YEAH i.
Speaker 5: Mean that's the one perk you're gonna Meet drake that's. It what about the city Of, Toronto, WELL i Obviously i'm offended that it feels like he doesn't want to go, there BUT i mean that is a, perk, right and from his, perspective that's the, perk the one.
Speaker 4: Thing, yes, yeah he.
Speaker 1: Just needs to get to the city in time for, Caravana like you'll have a great To, yeah just like.
Speaker 5: That you, know that's what we like to tell. Ourselves once he's, there he's gonna love. It he's gonna love paying you, know all the taxes and the funny money and all.
Speaker 1: That the crowd's.
Speaker 5: GREAT i, mean, yeah.
Speaker 4: But you're just you're just sold by the Initial.
Speaker 1: He, didn't he didn't see, it so he. Did he did try to cover, afterwards saying he's just, overwhelmed you, know by the way the process turned. Out but that was a, hilarious a hilarious. Scene oh that does not look good. Else Be side definitely has a. Type he's, like is there a guy that is do it all kind of forward with long, arms who plays defense and needs a little bit of improvement on the offensive. End is this guy Worse Scottie barnes or is he a Better Jonathan MOBO i don't know what it, is But maside definitely likes. Guys he's going to be compared to Common malawatch for quite some, TIME i think because that was another guy that The raptors were potentially going to be able to. Draft they Take Colin Murray boyles at number nine instead Of, maliawatch who went number ten to The. SUNS i Know skeets was big On malawatch for The, Raps so, yeah that'll be an interesting comparison going forward the nine to ten. Picks there two different ways you can go with a big man defender. POSITION i.
Speaker 3: Guess, yeah it is interesting that you wouldn't See messiah's, year even though he does have a type go With malawatch and go a little bit smaller with another forward that people are already comparing To Scottie. Barnes and maybe he doesn't shoot enough Like Scottie, barnes although he has been working on his three point shot and he said it is a three pointer league and so he has been getting better at. That does he want to be? THERE i don't, know BUT i you, know Maybe i'm trying to read everything into To chloe his girlfriend keep the hat, ON i would, SAY i would think she would drop it if she doesn't want to be there with her. BOYFRIEND i don't know if if she is coming up To, toronto BUT i do think He's he's a dedicated.
Speaker 4: Defender there's no.
Speaker 3: Doubt he spent his interview, SAYING i watch guys Like Traymond. Green his switch ability is. Amazing he got into young guys Like Timani. Kamara, hey, yeah maybe, yeah you're Referencing Tomani. Kamara maybe he didn't pronounce his name incredibly, correct but it doesn't. Matter he Said Aaron gordon how physical he was in the. PLAYOFFS i thought that was. Important so he's going to be a good. Player whether or not he wants to do it In, TORONTO i don't. Know but, yeah it is odd that they wouldn't go get a center and just say.
Speaker 4: We've got so many.
Speaker 1: GUYS i got a lot of. Forwards, YEAH i got a lot of three four. Types yeah sure In. Toronto so they're Little Jaka purdle obviously their. Center you could see some small ball center being played By Colin Murray. Boyles he's tiny, ish you, know it's it's six, seven but he is. Strong you Mentioned Jonathan mobo looks like they will be going, smaller which is a thing that's happening in the.
Speaker 4: League so we shall see how he. Works but it seems like they've got a lot of freaking.
Speaker 3: Talent Maybe i'm just optimistic after the, draft but hopefully he wants to.
Speaker 1: Be there Getting Brandon ingram, Too Like Brandon ingram's going to play for this. Team so that was a surprise to me That Colin Murray boyles was the, pick BECAUSE i Thought malawatch was somebody they would be after or after hearing his pre draft, INTERVIEWS i Thought Noah essingay was perhaps going to be A raptor because he was like the GUYS i like to watch Are Pascal, Siakam Scottie, barnes And Kawhi leonard was, like those are All raptors. Players he's, tall he's got, young long, arms he's. Young that also seems like A messide type to, me but ends up going to The bulls at number. Twelve it's weird when your team drafts the mystery man because it's, like are we getting the Next giannis or are we getting the Next. POKU i was not super inspired By noah As sene's. Highlights no watching him, THROUGH i was, like all he does is. Dunk all he does is. Dunk all he does is. Dunk all he does is. Dunk but he fits the up tempo style they. PLAY i think it's going to be a cool pairing With Matus. Buzzellis at the very, least they like to run and gun With Josh getty leading the, brake so that will definitely fit What essingay. BRINGS i was HAPPY i got to get My joe A Keem noah jersey out of. Storage you, know The bulls are getting A noah. AGAIN i Love Michael jordan wearing a, beret SO i like all these parts of. It but also it looks like he has zero. Skill it looks like he can't handle the ball or shoot the. Ball passing may come, around and he's the guy who was getting dragged before the draft because he left his pro team In germany during the finals to come Shake Adam silver's. Hand it just feels like a lot of bust potential and The bulls just keep finding the absolute skinniest possible guy and drafting him like they a guy that weighs over two hundred. Pounds in a. Decade it feels.
Speaker 3: Like Noe senga is, Small he's not gonna be good right off the bat in, man super. Skinny, YEAH i can go both. Ways because he's in The German. League their team is up two to one in the finals and it's a five game, series so they got to win one more and he's just, Like i'm out of here. Now you could, say, man he's, done he wants to.
Speaker 1: Go to THE.
Speaker 3: Nba he's ready to go to THE, nba is ready to get. Better maybe doesn't want to get injured in The German.
Speaker 1: League that's.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah so you could look at it that.
Speaker 1: Way it happens in THE nfl all the. Time guys skip college bowl games because they know they're going to get.
Speaker 4: Drafted, yeah great.
Speaker 1: Point The boomers don't like that.
Speaker 4: Either Noah sanga is.
Speaker 3: Ready, yeah we didn't even mention that you're wearing The Jokim noah jersey guns out here for the.
Speaker 4: Summer let's.
Speaker 1: Go they better not give him. Thirteenth they. Didn't they gave him number twenty, four which was A Tyros thomas's, number And lowry markin is number In. Chicago two guys who just worked out perfectly for The bulls draft, wise.
Speaker 3: Oh he knows he can be better Than Larry mark And Tyrus. Thomas all, right moving on to the random. Notes just everything that we saw that you want to point out. At we'll finish off with that in the, draft from the draft picks to off the stage as, well we got to start With.
Speaker 1: Yeah this was to me was the first guaranteed random note of the. Night When Conk nipple did his post draft interview with his four, Brothers, Kinston, Kajer, cash And, kidman all wearing matching suits and arranged by height as if this were a more bars In More places. Commercial this is very cute as long as their middle names Aren't, Kevin, Carl, Kip, chris And. Kelly. Yeah they also Showed Conk nipple's dad's three on three. Highlights this was like the craziest package of stuff to show after nipples. Draft AND i like his fit with The hornets with Uh, LaMelo assuming he's still going to be Around Brandon, miller assuming he can get, healthy they should be awesome on. OFFENSE i like that he said he Watches Klay thompson And Jimmy butler. Tape if you're a good catch and shoot player and a stronger. GUARD i think it means he really knows himself and is playing the right. Way but a potential worst defense in the league. CONTENDER i do have to think the only center they have on the roster right now Is Nick richard or is a use Of. Nurkic but, yeah the Can Nipple brothers were killing me last. Night.
Speaker 3: Yeah the tape that they show after the number four pick to show picks.
Speaker 1: Of all the dads playing.
Speaker 4: Balls.
Speaker 3: Surprising usually they save that tape FOR i don't, know the twenty eighth pick or.
Speaker 1: Something Flying Nipple. Brothers, yes very, funny.
Speaker 3: Awesome, yeah and even J bill is saying it's more like The Let It Fly. Brothers you, know they're not, jumping they're just. Shooting but he does look like he's going to be a good ad for The Charlotte. Hornets whether he's gonna, FIT i don't know for. Sure but he can. Shoot he gets after. It the highlights showed his face very flush and red because he gets after.
Speaker 1: It he doesn't work get very. Red, yes he sure sure. Does, also a guy who had a very red face last night Was Danny wolfe's, brother who to me took home cry of The night's. Status there's a lot of emotion in the, crowd as there always is in these, drafts And Danny wolfe's brother obviously very proud of, him but they did him dirty by lingering on this shot for ten. Seconds, man they were really Letting danny's brother, cry let him, cry.
Speaker 4: And it's a sad cry. Too i'm super sad.
Speaker 3: CRY i mean he is letting it out and, yeah, yeah found it.
Speaker 5: Out gonna miss, you, Bro, yeah, yeah he's going To.
Speaker 3: Boston it's not. Far, No Danny wolfe's playing In. Brooklyn oh, yeah Did danny my? Bad it's also not.
Speaker 4: Far It's.
Speaker 3: Brooklyn moving on to the fashion of it, ALL i gotta do. That let's get a look at the. SHORTS i was surprised to see shorts period and to See Jay billis on the call with another AC dc. REFERENCE i, mean, yeah we've heard AC dc so much in the playoffs because we've seen THAT okc commercial and to hear J billis, say you, know he looks like business up, top but then he looks like he's an AC dc drummer or from, Guitars, yeah the guitars from the short or from the waist down the. Shorts, yeah it's a good fit. THOUGH i mean it's a good. Call he definitely.
Speaker 1: Does, yeah this was my favorite look at the. NIGHT i think he looks great, actually but hard to call those. Shorts those are, lungs they're. Big, yeah scrunchy socks. THOUGH i love. That and, yeah he definitely has an angus young sort of quality to, him especially with the double breasted up. TOP i thought looked.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah uh, Yeah i'm okay with. It the only, SHORTS i would.
Speaker 1: Say the only, shorts at least the only shorts they showed. Us but, YEAH i thought it was funny the way it all played, out because you, know they had a kind of tighter shot on him at, first but then as soon as they started talking about him wearing shorts on the, broadcast they had to pull.
Speaker 4: Back but there go.
Speaker 1: Like so many lower thirds at the bottom because it's like best available up next team needs all this. Stuff they're really trying to jam it in. There but luckily we got a look at those.
Speaker 4: Shins, yeah and we didn't even mention. It it Is Trey.
Speaker 3: Johnson we just figure everybody would know Who Trey johnson. Is are moving on to uh.
Speaker 1: Another like a musically themed look like that one is definitely AC Dc Carter bryant with the chest out and the chain. On this is more of a NINETIES r AND b look For Carter. Bryant we've seen some chest out guys in the, Past Jalen. GREEN i think maybe it was a chest out, Guy but as far AS i can, Remember Carter brian is the only. Guy and, look he's still got some growing to. DO i see no chest. Hair, yeah but that might be part of the. Look you think he? Shaved, yeah, Okay WELL i don't know why. NOT i, mean maybe it's part of your pre draft. Grooming you all look. Good, Yeah and if you're going chest, OUT i think you probably you're getting rid of that.
Speaker 3: Here, yeah, yeah, YEAH i appreciate the, effort you, know take some guts to pull it all.
Speaker 1: Out would, you, okay if you were drafted into THE, nba if you were going to the, draft would you wear like a more conservative suit like A Cooper flag had a pretty straightforward, suit you know most of these guys. Did there was a lot of sequin. Looks or would you go for something more like shorts or a chest out sort of.
Speaker 3: Deal, yeah that's a great question, Me now WHO i. Am i'd be, BORING i would, say but IF i was a kid who's playing ball and is getting, drafted you, know top top, ten that's my. JOB i, Think, YEAH i might be bold and pull out the CHEST i think is uh is? Bold yeah, yeah so, yeah right right, here right, Now i'd be super, BORING i. ASSUME i, mean it would just be the.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're, fortal it's a lot different than when you're nineteen or twenty skinny. TIE i THINK i would be more likely to go shorts than chest.
Speaker 5: OUT i don't hundred, yeah it's a heat wave right now.
Speaker 3: And definitely definitely so yeah so, shorts but you're pretty, Both, no, YEAH i.
Speaker 5: WOULD i would sort of set the tone to be A Steven adams type, character you, know LIKE i want them to think That i'm, like you, know you, know a bad guy sort of. THING i want to come into the league as a. Heel so you, Know i'm wearing My Iron maiden shirt under my.
Speaker 3: Blazer very, Cool, YEAH i Get and and, yeah you may not look as tough if you don't have a really developed.
Speaker 4: Chest it's a Nee clifford isn't the most, developed.
Speaker 3: Not big not, huge not pack, forward but pack. Forward but that's what THE nba players are doing. Now you see guys celebrating the. Championships sometimes they're not. Big you don't have To they're not Like i'm pumping chest. Anymore, YEAH i, Mean Chet holmgren just wanted, championship got less chest than.
Speaker 1: Anybody another eye catching fit last NIGHT i thought Was Nie clifford wearing the purple to pink sort of gradient jacket had matching air forced ones as, Well and THEN i like the touch he put for his lining on the inside of his Jacket clifford The Big Red dog amongst his college. Logos is he gonna go buy the Big Red? Dog or are they gonna call Him clifford the normal sized? Dog to throw it back to our starters trivia, days most of the time you don't even get a look at these. LININGS i Remember Kevin knox had A fortnite jacket once that was pretty, Funny but The clifford The Big Red dog inclusion was killing.
Speaker 4: Me very.
Speaker 3: Funny, yeah you don't see the whole inside of the jacket. Ever, Really i'm taking it off like this. Out, YEAH i love.
Speaker 4: IT i love.
Speaker 3: It that's WHY i THINK i Called Carter bryant Nee, clifford because this one stands out to me.
Speaker 4: Solid oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah when he came, UP i was, like, ooh that looks nice popping on.
Speaker 4: Stage great, colors great, colors.
Speaker 1: And he's sacked, MENO i, think, Right Nick, Clifford, yeah seems to be a helpful. Guy like he's an older player as, well can play some defense and do kind of do it. All SO i think that's going to be helpful for, Him like he seems like he'll probably be in the, rotation whereas some of these younger, dudes you, know like nineteen's or more of a question mark for their rookie. Season i'm Sure sacramento is thinking we need to get somebody who can play, immediately.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah he looks like he's ready to, go and so are we out of this?
Speaker 1: Show nice, One it is.
Speaker 3: Time just a quick reminder before we go that we got a show coming up In Las. Vegas will be there Live, Friday july eleventh at four pm at The sportsbook At Mandalay. Bay it's, free it's.
Speaker 1: Fun and it Is.
Speaker 3: Vegas so come on by four o'clock let me talking about These we will be we'll be seeing.
Speaker 1: Them let me talking About Conka nipple's. Debut they're starting a day.
Speaker 4: Earlier and do you believe.
Speaker 1: On thursday instead of Just.
Speaker 3: Friday, yeah, yeah, yes we have already seen a lot of them, play probably everybody play essentially On thursday to talk about we will be back tomorrow where we want to talk about some of the news that's already, happened even that we kept for, tomorrow Like Kyrie irving signing an, Extension D'Angelo russell we talked about earlier, today maybe in line For Dallas mavericks backcourt, spot Maybe Fred Van vliet's. Contract will get to all that On, friday plus everything that happens today here as we, record all the front offices are. Meeting they're talking day number. Two let's get some deals. Going that's an early draft for second. Round like it's not at, night, RIGHT i don't know what time it. IS i just need to get that down from my own. Notes it's an early. One to make sure it's like a three o'clock or something they're. Doing, REALLY i think so four. O'CLOCK i THINK i think it was last. Year we'll find out and we'll be. Watching, no that's at eight.
Speaker 4: Pm i'm.
Speaker 1: DUMB i mean that makes, sense, yeah because you want everybody. Watching, yeah, yeah but that's not THE Nba cup quarter. Finals they're not putting it on at four.
Speaker 3: O'clock, yeah but they. Should whether or not they put it on or, not they should make it an. Edit it's like it's like The, olympics like just cut all the good moments. Together we don't need to see three hours of. It but they probably make it shorter as. Well they don't have five minutes in between. Picks that's, right it's like two minutes in between.
Speaker 4: Picks. Quick, anyways just some, thoughts kind of.
Speaker 3: Shorter all, right we'll be back, tomorrow but for, Now clipper, bros you heard it here.
Speaker 1: First have a great, time turn. Up love you, guys, awesome thanks for joining, us and remember your favorite team definitely drafted the right player. Obviously, yeah gonna be a, hit not a.
Speaker 4: Bust, yeah and.
Speaker 3: They'll make great picks in round number, two which we'll talk about. Tomorrow we'll see you, then