Speaker 1: I saw an article in New York Times about the final Dead Shows shows of their tour. They said there's chances they'll get back together again for a benefit or something, but they're never going to tour again, they claim. I don't think they probably actually are. They've made that claim many times. Are the years they're very old. Yeah, Barbweer's like Joe biden Ol and I noticed him well, it was he was gigging as an adult during the Summer of Love in nineteen sixty seven. Yeah, that's one of the things I want to bring up with this phenomenon. So, speaking of it being a phenomenon, one of the reasons I went was, it's a phenomenon. I haven't been to a concert in I think fifteen years, so it's been a long time. So i'd been to a concert and Dead and Company was coming to the area. It's sixty miles from my house, and I kind of thought about it a couple of times, and I looked at prices. They're too high. Anyway, I finally decided, you know what, I'm going to do it. So I bought a ticket two hours before, three hours before the show started, hopped on my motorcycle rode into San Francisco to the baseball line yea, and didn't even pay a ton for it. Luckily, I think people started to panic. Some of the people that had put I'll sell you one for eight thousand dollars for starting to panic if they had some left, so it didn't get a bad price anyway. I was trying to figure out while I was sitting there in the concert, I was trying to figure out what is the phenomenon of the whole grateful dead thing.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, they've been doing this.
Speaker 1: For fifty five years, fifty seven years something like that, with only a couple of exceptions. Every song they play is fifty plus years old. They haven't created they haven't created anything new and forever. And the crowd and the place, I don't know if it was sold out, but I didn't see any empty seats up in the stands. The crowd varied. There were lots of twenty somethings, there were lots of thirty somethings, forty something, fifty something, sixty something, seventy somethings, every age group there.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what they.
Speaker 1: Created or why. I just I was just looking around trying to take it all in, trying to figure out what what happened here?
Speaker 2: Why has nobody else ever been able to do this.
Speaker 1: I remember when we were in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Grateful Dead came through in the mid nineties, and I didn't know anything about the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 2: I've never really been into the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 1: They came through town and I didn't go to the concert, but I was at a party that night at a house and a number of people had been to the Dead concert and they this is pre internet. So in the Internet era, obviously you can go online and check what the set list is for every concert and they would be posted as soon as the.
Speaker 2: Concert is over. But this was before the internet.
Speaker 1: So these guys would run home and some of them took scraps of paper and pens with them. Some of them were just using their knowledge, and they were sitting there at the kitchen table at this party saying, okay, so what did they play first set? Well, they opened with this open with that. They're writing it all down. They kept the log of all the concerts they'd seen in the set list in a way that just I don't think happens that often with bands part of it is they don't play that many songs because each song is thirteen to fifteen minutes long. So you play like four songs, take a break, play four more songs, and your three hours are up.
Speaker 2: That's one weird aspect of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: The other thing is they don't come out and say a word, and never have, according to the New York Times. They don't say, hey, Atlanta, good to be here. Here's one from the new while, you know, thanks for coming, or nothing.
Speaker 2: They don't see it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: They wander out and start playing.
Speaker 1: They wander I'll start playing, and when they're done, they walk off and that's it.
Speaker 2: And and from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Another interesting thing is they've always encouraged people recording it and posting live recordings, and they got gazillions a live.
Speaker 2: Albums and just well, do you tell.
Speaker 1: Me what is different about that band that allowed them to tour for fifty some years. I was just looking up still one of the top grossing concert tours out there. They didn't play that many shows, but they're making gazillions of dollars yea in ticket sales and t shirt sales and everything like that thing before I let you you answer the question, because you know more about it than I do. So they walk out, they start playing, and it's got a drum beat to it that I don't quite recognize off the top of my head, because all the songs kind of have a similar drum beat and a similar thing. And everybody's twirling. All the girls are twirling in their thing, and then everybody's dancing everything like that. Not a single person in that stadium that I saw sat for one second three and a half hours.
Speaker 2: I've never been to a concert like that.
Speaker 1: I've been to plenty of concerts with people stand for the big hits, then sit back down for a slow song or whatever.
Speaker 2: Not a person I was expecting to get to sit for a while. None of that happened.
Speaker 1: So they do the drumbeat, drum beat, and they opened with the Buddy Holly song that they.
Speaker 2: Do regularly, probably not fade away, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then the drum the drum stop, and then the whole crowd in Unison says I'm gonna tell you what I'm gonna do it, and then everybody saying every word to every song for three and a half hours, never said down.
Speaker 2: I've never seen anything like that. Why is that. Can you tell me why that is?
Speaker 4: I'm sure there are multiple books written to address that very question, and they are book length, as books often are. I would say, I mean number one. At the beginning, they were just a whale of a band. I mean, just a terrific band that was incredible. Well, you know, there's a couple of sayings among musicians ragged but right or loose but tight. They had a combination of being extremely good and extremely loose and improvisational and really fun music to listen to if you're stoned. Plus they have a weird like hippie community thing going like, we're all here, we're all friends, nobody's gonna get ugly, it's going to be great. Everybody's gonna enjoy themselves, nobody's gonna judge anybody else. We're gonna listen to the jams and have a great time, you know.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: And there are actually other bands that have it, you just don't hear about.
Speaker 2: It as much.
Speaker 4: Fish has an enormous following that's very grateful, deadlike, and there are a couple others Dave Vatsey's band, surely.
Speaker 1: But not on that scale for that long. Without ever putting any news out.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, that's what's just like you.
Speaker 1: And how do you grow new fans in their twenties with fifty five year old songs?
Speaker 2: I mean it's I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, part of it's that the songs hold up pretty well and it's a jam. Part of it's just there's an attraction to being part of that that draws young people. The whole i'm a hippie thing is is hot amongst your your twenty somethings, at least in some quarters. Oregon for instance, right, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The people sitting next to me were from Oregon and they were going to all three shows. Everybody around me was going to all three shows. I was the only one that was just going to the one the one show, and it was a mom and dad roughly my age, with their high school kids. They brought all their kids, and their kids knew all the words every song. It's unlike anything I've ever been around. I've been I got plenty of acts that I like that do that on a smaller scale, like there's several hundred people that are that into it, but not hundreds of thousands. For six decades.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, I don't And then I wonder how much of it was.
Speaker 1: It like grew on itself, like you know, becomes a thing, and a thing is that it's nothing draws like a crowd, that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's it's such an attractive like vibe, an attractive corner of human kind that people who weren't there at the beginning, or if you know, they didn't grow up with the songs or whatever. Just the idea that that many people could get together and have their energy be so positive and a lack of conflict and a lack of people being a holes like people tend to be, and listening to the music and dancing and stuff. It's just it's an attractive proposition. And you know why, you know why? It's it's on a scale that nobody else has ever matched.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's it's hard, it's magic, it's culture, it's a vibe.
Speaker 1: I thought, at some point, surely we're gonna sit down during one of these slow songs, aren't we. I mean, we's a Friday night, We've all worked all week long, We're all a little tired. Come on, a lot of you are way older than I am. Surely Nope, nobody was sitting down at any point, even for a moment.
Speaker 4: Well, I am a fan, I am not a dead head. I have some good friends who are here. Is my horrifying Well, I'm sorry, it's my impressive but horrifying, grateful, dead claim to fame. I was at Jerry Garcia's last show before he died in Chicago. Did you play a role or many years ago? And I fell sound asleep halfway through it? Fell asleep because I may have been over served. Fell Well, yeah, okay, you call it what you want. It was a very hot summer day in Chicago. Oh my god, if drinking beer and all getting rid of it and then sitting there baking in the sun and Soldier Field just baking. I'm surprised that has this all been Maybe I'm dead. Maybe I died that day and this has all been a prolonged illucination.
Speaker 1: It was like fifty five degrees in the middle of the concert for this one, So yeah, I didn't have that problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah you were better off, trust me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: John Mayer plays guitar with a giant winter coat on zipped up around his ears. The way he did, He's flicked flipping phenomenal. By the way, John Mayer is just freaking unreal. Yeah, he's a monster, but he's not happy to have it come to an end.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's not much said about why they decided to wrap it up. New York Times went deep on that over the weekend. But I didn't notice that Bob Weir, he would play for a while and then he would take his hand off and shake his hand a lot. And I hadn't seen that in videos before because I've watched a lot of Dead and Company videos over the last several years. Because I just like got into it when John Mayor joined, which I know makes me something something uncool among real Dead advances and Jerry Come Lately yeah something. But anyway, he wasn't doing that before. I wonder if he doesn't have something that physical it's happened. I mean, he just can't play every night like that.
Speaker 4: Handful of my favorite musicians have had to give it up because Arthrit asserted something, But how are.
Speaker 1: You standing up there for three and a half hours and paying attention to what you're doing. I'm dying out here standing for three and a half I don't know. Maybe they think about how much money they're making.
Speaker 4: Maybe they enjoy playing music. Listen to you, y Sinek, you couldn't be a deadhead. I'm surprised you weren't drummed out of the stadium. I'm getting bad vibes from the bald man over here.
Speaker 1: Man get out. It was definitely the single best vibe at that scale that I've ever been around in my life. And man, that's a heck of a thing to pull off. I doubt it'll ever be recreated, certainly, not for that length. Not possible, not in the modern world. No, The New York Times with a hilariously long article about pants and how wide pants are in now and skinny pants are out, which it was hilarious. I read quite a bit of it just because I found it hilarious, how seriously they took this topic and how in depth they went in The New York Times about it. But anyway that we then played a little clip of Lyndon Baines Johnson, president of the United States from sixty three to sixty eight, talking to his tailor on the phone about his pants, and Katie had never heard it before because Katie's new to the show.
Speaker 2: Roughly how long you've been here a year. Yeah, wow, time flies.
Speaker 1: Yikes. So this is Lindon made Johnson who had his pants special made by a Taylor back in Texas and LBJ.
Speaker 2: A corn Pone.
Speaker 1: That's actually what the Kennedy people called him, Colonel corn Pone to his face.
Speaker 2: Uh wow, that's a nice relationship. Anyway.
Speaker 1: He's from small town, Texas and he's talking to his tailor about getting a new pair of pants ordered, and it sounded something like this, miss.
Speaker 3: Tager Joe Hager Joe is your father, the one that makes clothes.
Speaker 2: Yet there we're all together.
Speaker 3: Uh. You all made me some real light weight slacks. Uh. He just made up on his own sentiment or four months ago. It's a kind of a light brown and a light green, rather soft green and soft brown, and the real light weight. I need about six pairs way around in the evening when I come in from work, and I need about a half inch too tight in the waist.
Speaker 2: He recalled it back then that didn't wanted to want to deal with.
Speaker 3: Get him right, fat you know, I don't know. You all just guessed out of my things. So but once you have the measurements there, we'll find for you I can send you a pair. I want them a half inch larger in the waist than the where before, except I want two or three inches of stuff left back in there so I can take them up. I bury ten or fifteen pounds a month, all right, So leave me at least two and a half three inches in the back where I can let them out, or take them up and make these a half inch bigger than the waist. Make the pockets at least an inch longer. Money, my money, and my knife everything fall out now the pockets. When you sit down in the chair, the knife and your money comes out. So I need at least another inch in the pockets. Yeah. Now another thing with critch down where you hang is always a little too tight. So when you make them up, give me an inch that I can let out there, because they cut me. It's just like riding a wire fence. These are almost the best that I've had anywhere in the United States. But when I get ain't a little weight, they cut me under there. So leave me. You never do have much margin that, But see if you can't leave me about it an age from the word of zippering and around under my back to my hole. So I grit it out there. If I need to be sure he got the best zippers in them. These are good that I have and if you get those coming out, I will sure be grateful.
Speaker 1: There you go in a historical moment, actual phone call with president of the United States and cut me like I'm shitting on a wire fencer. Oh the fact.
Speaker 2: Leave me my margin. You gotta have margin.
Speaker 1: The fact that he burps right before he uses the word is my favorite part.
Speaker 5: That is that's one of my favorite pieces of amazing.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh it shows you who he was. He was from poor to hill country to his bones.
Speaker 2: That's what he was.
Speaker 4: Uh huh right, And it's probably worth the tip of the cap that he was calling the Hagar family who became, you know, one of the great clothiers of that time of history.
Speaker 6: About five inches right back to my that's the best part of not crotch, you know where money, Yeah, we know what a crotch is. The reason people use the word crotch is so they don't have to say where you're maney money has some plain talk there and if you're actually into you know, history and this sort of stuff. The Carol book about the relationship between LBJ and the Kennedy family is amazing because you just.
Speaker 2: Heard who the guy was.
Speaker 1: That's way different than the Kennedy clan, the Kennedys of Harvard. Yeah, yeah, highennus Port Kennedy's and there, you know, golf clubs and tennis clubs and that sort of stuff. No wonder they didn't get along with when vice versa with LBJ.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, where their patrician accents and their crisp suits and the rest of it with practically no margin whether.
Speaker 2: They'reang or banged at the time from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seem in the minimum, it's like riding a rail fence.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Something my grandfather would say. Well, that's how I gained some weight back, and it.
Speaker 2: Cuts me, cuts me.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe the Armstrong and Getty Show, we got this is about the way I grill and the pictures I've tweeted out and Katie's complain about my grilling re IQ differences, which we were talking about differences different kinds of intelligence earlier in the show. Somebody texted Jack seems to be brilliant at history, but then he puts his grilling utensils on the ground.
Speaker 2: So, yes, there are different kinds of intelligence. That's a great point. Yes, the contrast shocking. I don't know why I put the spatul on the ground.
Speaker 5: And well, not just that, but then we brought When we pointed it out to you said, well where else where?
Speaker 1: Should I put them anywhere else?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 4: Yes, even on a paper towel on the ground, although that's just partial credit. Did get this note from Dan in North Carolina. I'm with you, Jack, I have zero interest in grilling, and am convinced that half the men that claim to be interested are latent junior high schooler's desperate to fit in. So, like the brave, masked intellectual walking your parade route, I say f you to those who boast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mean. I don't think there's got to be a flaw in other people that liked grill. I just I just don't enjoy it, and I have no interest in learning to be better at it.
Speaker 4: And then Dan spends a tale worth telling as an aside, I have a relative by marriage.
Speaker 2: Of course, fancy himself a master griller.
Speaker 4: So the propane grill was too bourgeois, so he purchased the same charcoal grill you have, except apparently he couldn't figure out how to install the legs, so he just put it on top of a deck railing. Then he lit the fire in there, burned a hole almost completely through a plywood table, and emblazoned the leaves around the car port, which led to a fire department visit.
Speaker 2: Emblazoned. He is in quotes like that reporter bet his stakes are great, though, Yeah, the grillest and the anti grillist.
Speaker 4: Ye is that the newest fault line, the dividing line in American society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm giving up on that manly skill, but hoping I make for it and other manly areas, like if you couldn't put the legs on that grill, you really have no ability to fix or work on anything.
Speaker 2: Holy crap. They're like, yeah, two screws in a wing nut. Yes, Katie, Ye man card is at risk.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I just think that if you if you had a different grill, it might change your experience a little bit. Yeah, it can't be comfortable being down in that position grilling at all.
Speaker 2: No, it's not comfortable in that position doing anything, right.
Speaker 1: How much did you spend for that grill Jack, I honestly think it was on sale. I think it was eight dollars because it was on sale. It was like they had two left. Should you spend.
Speaker 2: Dollar a grill? A guy? Now he's lying.
Speaker 5: He stole it from the guy that lives in front of the radio station.
Speaker 2: Right, who lives in his beaten down RV.
Speaker 4: It's the mini Weber, right that sits like a foot off the ground.
Speaker 2: The top of it. It's a foot foot of maybe a foot and a half. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's designed to take with your camping or something. It's not designed to tailgate the grill you have in your backyard, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny when I've been looking for a house and some of these houses, you know, they got the built in grill with the refrigerator and just all heading a fan above it and all these differments. I think, I think this is slightly different than what I hearently have. Hanson said, he knows the place you could buy, but she used grills here you go, Well, I should do one with legs.
Speaker 2: Would be handy if I didn't have to bend over.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: That's probably enough of that. This was from the Daily Show last night. Once a week, the old host of The Daily Show, John Stewart is on there. Pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Well, he's actually funny, which is in contrast with the other hosts, certainly Trevor Noah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: This features a word I knew, I never said and never will say. And other people think this sort of humor is funny, and so we didn't air it on the air. But I realize other people find this humorous.
Speaker 3: As I was.
Speaker 6: Explaining, though, the media has systematically failed to contest Sean.
Speaker 7: Please, you're killing me, my poor sweet naive older than I remember, John, We need this messy spectacle. Every other news story is a massive bummer. This Trump trial is like an open window and a greyhound bus full of farts. Why are you trying to close the window, John.
Speaker 1: Why are you trying to make a smell starts?
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to make yourself.
Speaker 1: And hands. Our executive producer thought that was funny. I don't like that word. I don't say that word to me. That is the F word, and so I will never understand that. I don't understand it myself. But I'm appalled by that word. And I do not find there any humor in the topic.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Captain Cuckoo whatever, I'm interested in the angle of we need this story. It's a breath of fresh air. I mean, it's a is that just lefty insanity?
Speaker 1: Or I find focusing on what time he arrived, what his hair looked like, did he fall asleep? Just something that's just that as opposed to super heavy duty, wore abortion, et cetera. I guess yeah.
Speaker 4: The weaponizing of the justice system against political candidates is is light fair.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious. Uh, I think I could stay awake.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty funny that that young correspondent said older than I remember John Stewart. She probably was watching him in like junior high and really into it. Now she's on the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: He's a sixties So how it is if you see somebody then see him five years later, It's like, oh.
Speaker 1: God, I had one of those the other day. I ran into somebody, thought, did did I have I aged the same amount since the last time I saw.
Speaker 2: You as you have? That can't possibly be true? Yeah, well, okay, time, I.
Speaker 1: Think I'm pretty sure I didn't take a lot of physics, but I'm pretty sure time moves the same rate for all of us, right.
Speaker 4: Unless one finds one's self in a black hole. Yes, that is my understanding of.
Speaker 1: So if I run into somebody and they've aged a certain amount, what lead me to believe that I've aged the same amount too? I just haven't recognized him? I correct, there, sure see yourself every day. This probably doesn't happen to you, does it, Katie? You're too young for that.
Speaker 2: No, but it has. I've seen some people from high school.
Speaker 1: I'm like, ooh, you're aging, dreamer. Can you tell them that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: My face probably does and I am the master of saying it with my facial expressions.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately. All right, people do age a different rates, though. I mean, there's the biggest swing is fifteen years. They say, in what age you look once you get older, depending on genetics and lifestyle. So it's not completely true that we aged the same amount.
Speaker 4: And I'm realizing the ultimate do you want to look good now or later?
Speaker 2: Is sun exposure? Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I have a female friend who, uh, all her friends say why do you look so young? And it's all because she did not tan when she was younger like they all did, and she does look she's fifteen years younger than her contemporaries at least. Wow, So it is tough. Do you want to be pale person at the pool when you're twenty two or do you want to be looks forty at age fifty person when you're older.
Speaker 2: That's a tough oh, leather face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely find myself as I am rapidly aging. Among you got your tans too much, young woman, Then you got your tens too much forty year old woman, and you're starting to see the signs of what might be described as a catcher's mit like.
Speaker 2: Dermis uh.
Speaker 4: And then you have your sixty plus tanned too much woman, and manim birds have come home to rooms right at Hey about.
Speaker 1: A Yeah, that's a heck of a price to pay to be good in tan when you were twenty five.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again I don't I don't mean to be cruel. I don't measure people by their looks. But there's no better term than leathery.
Speaker 2: I remember we had a salesperson we referred to as tan guy.
Speaker 1: Well he was he was Yeah, he was super tan. Yeah, he was tan or was it actual tank?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: I know it was real tan because we went to a company remember there was a company barbecue once and he did the really odd thing at this company barbecue everybody stand out, where he took off his shirt and sat in a lawn chair with everybody around at the company barbecue so he could get more sons.
Speaker 2: So I guess, I guess he was tan guy.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, work function, Yeah, but hey, sun's out, guns out and teats.
Speaker 2: Apparently exactly. Guy was in really good shape.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he was not gonna waste a single opportunity to get more UFI raising.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty. They're gonna work fast. Don't you think it's a little hot. Absolutely, there's no doubt in my mind. This is the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: So Katy brought us this headline earlier in the show. Now I have the details. It's really something in the headline being a woman in Brazil was arrested after she attempted to get a dead body in a wheelchair to sign for a bank loan.
Speaker 5: I was on Twitter or x or whatever the hell it's called now when this video went viral. So I saw the unedited version, because now it's been blurred all over the place. This guy was dead dead like oh not just not just like just dead, but like megadead.
Speaker 2: Oh really been dead a while? Maybe not? Can you be more precise?
Speaker 5: Not Riga mortis dead because she was able to kind of move him around, but.
Speaker 2: He was super deadok it out, So here we go.
Speaker 1: Woman in Brazil arrested Tuesday suspicion of theft by fraud and violating a corpse. You know, as I've said many times, when I'm dead, you can do whatever you want to me. Don't charge with a crime. I don't care. It doesn't make any difference. I mean, you're a little weird, but you have violated me in any way.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I may get a couple of licks, you know. Some frustrations.
Speaker 1: Jack Pinata after she brought her dead uncle to a bank to sign a loan agreement. She had raised suspicion after she entered the small bank there in Rio with a man in a wheelchair who she called her uncle. Well that's not that would why would that raise suspicion? That's not weird. The woman and they give her name here, which I can't pronounce, reportably told the clerk that they were to sign off on this seventeen thousand reass loan that's all.
Speaker 2: That's h and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: In security cambridge footage which Katie has seen, the woman can be seen picking up the man's hand and repositioning his head to try to get him to sign the document in front of him.
Speaker 5: This guy's head was flopping all over the place. Oh my forward backward, mouth open. And then she finally gets irritated enough to just get a grip on the back of his neck, and she's holding him steady. With the other hand, she's trying to pick up his arm and get.
Speaker 1: It to hold the pen.
Speaker 2: It is good, good plot. And you say that didn't work.
Speaker 1: His head's gone all over the place.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I can be picking up the hand reposition.
Speaker 2: He said, uncle, are you listening? You need to sign.
Speaker 1: If you don't sign, there's no way because I can't sign for you. She can be heard saying on the audio, I would just steady your hand, all right, uncle, are you listening? You need to sign. He doesn't say anything. That's just how he is. She tells the clerk when he doesn't reply, if you're not okay, I'm going to take you to the hospital.
Speaker 2: But the man's don't bother.
Speaker 4: The man's unresponsive nature and lolling head, has described me by Katie Green, caused concern among bank employees, who called local ambulance services. Dude is megade on arriving the doctor's confirmed the sixty year old man had been dead for quite some time. His body was taken directly to a morgue, and she's been arrested. Creative idea. Her lawyers are arguing, no, no, no, no, he was fine. He must have died in the wheelchair as I was rolling.
Speaker 1: Into the bank, because just before he signed, because we talked about this, or dried out on the sidewalk before I rolled him in, And he must have died right beforehand.
Speaker 2: And I just didn't notice, not an effing chance not.
Speaker 4: And he is, you know, he was never that energetic in life, so I didn't notice the difference.
Speaker 5: And his eyes just naturally sunk into his head like that.
Speaker 2: He always looked that, oh megadad.
Speaker 1: Preliminary preliminary friendsic analysis says he had died at least several hours before the trying and sign for the loan, if not longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if your uncle Enrique kicks it, I mean, just between you is to decide, all right, we're going in on this loan together. He croaks just before you go to the bank. It's frustrating, it's inconvenience. I say, we stick with plan A and see how it goes.
Speaker 2: Will you come up with a workaround?
Speaker 1: That's what that is.
Speaker 2: It's a work around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you try not to let his head flop all over and you lift his hand up.
Speaker 4: There as big a hit as Weekend at Bernie's was, it's amazing to me that dragging a corpse around comedy didn't become a more important genre.
Speaker 1: Right there's only one movie to refer to, that one. They're in like a whole bunch of them, I mean American Pie. He spawned dozens of imitators.
Speaker 5: For instance, rightly, there was a few years ago where the Weekend at Bernie's Funeral went viral?
Speaker 2: Do you guys remember that. I don't know that, I do the headline.
Speaker 1: There were like a series of funerals.
Speaker 5: I think BuzzFeed did like an article about it and compiled a list of people that, instead of just having like a regular visitation or whatever, had themselves like dressed and propped up with like cigarettes put in their hands.
Speaker 1: And they love that and the families.
Speaker 5: Were coming up and like taking pictures with them, And there was another one that was a weightlifter and they actually attached their hands to like a deadlift.
Speaker 1: Oh you see. It depends on the situation though, clearly, because like my friends would think it was fine, yeah, but my kids might not.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It depends on the relationship with who it is. So I'm picturing all right.
Speaker 4: I mean if you had me sitting in a chair with my telecaster in my lap, right, you know that's not bad.
Speaker 2: Or maybe like some bass lying down the couch.
Speaker 4: With a half empty Scotch next to me, like I was watching a golf tournament and fell asleep my weight My wife would appreciate that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, I guess it depends, but yeah, I could see that, yeah my own. Yeah, there's a lot of caveats to the whole idea, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The weightlifting one got my attention though, because the way that they have her her propped up and then they have a bench press over her face like she's about to just do a big old lift.
Speaker 4: I can't decide if this idea is is more charming or horrifying.
Speaker 2: I keep going back and forth. Right, I agree, Is.
Speaker 1: It like like you want to see him more like like he lived.
Speaker 2: Or I guess that could be charming yes, or it's horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know.
Speaker 4: One thing that I'm in favor of is like for an obituary or a memorial service or something like that. I don't like it when they have like the most recent picture when the person is ancient, because as anybody past the age of fifty especially can tell you in your heart your soul, who you are is your young self and you just have aches and pains and more memories and a little more wisdom and that sort of thing. But the old dude is kind of a stranger, Like how the hell did that happen? So I just when they were youngest, vital, most vital, energetic, when they were forming who they are.
Speaker 2: Give me that picture. Yeah. New York Times is good at that.
Speaker 1: They use you and your prime picture for all their obituaries of famous people like I see them every Sunday in the New York Times book Review whatever author died, and they have their when they were you know, sexy woman or a cool young guy or whatever or whatever they were that had so much to do with the things you wrote, not like just an old person. Yeah, the time of their life they look back on fondly. Yeah, and what they probably became famous for. And now we're not talking just about famous people, but like in yeah, and just for everybody.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: Now, I've kind of been a Doey Dip from age twelve through the grave, so it'd be easier for me.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, I was gonna say, what what point do I get to choose ahead of time?
Speaker 2: What point? Because like you know, we'll pick him a when was he young and vital?
Speaker 1: High school?
Speaker 2: Here's a good high school picture. No, young but not vital.
Speaker 5: Let's keep looking at I'm writing down my new favorite slam, A doe dip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. You're right a Doey dip. Can't you all right?
Speaker 1: For my funeral, I'm gonna do radio stuff. I'm gonna have open casket with me sitting up.
Speaker 6: With headphones on my head, holding up three fingers exactly countless down and a lot of Jack and Joe.
Speaker 2: They're screaming at you.
Speaker 1: And then oh, oh hey, hey, then you can donate money to pay any FCC fines.
Speaker 2: So we did.
Speaker 1: We would say, I don't know why we're assuming we are going to oulive you, because I don't think we are.
Speaker 2: We would be.
Speaker 1: There, they say, Just where's the clip, Michael.
Speaker 2: Just for old time's sake, that would be great. No clip forty two? Forty two? Oh, that's Righty's past. God rest is sold.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 1: Quick question for you, what if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 4: The answer is easy, friends, Just download our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of the podcast show, available anytime, any day, every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 1: Download it now. Armstrong and Getty on Demand. Are Strong?
Speaker 3: Heyety