Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really well, and welcome to another episode of Really No Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden. Today you'll meet the producer and host of the Naked Comedy Show, where the comics are nude and the first two rows are clothing optional. You'll find out about the history of nudity on stage and why Jason Alexander has been naked or mostly naked, on screens and in the restrooms of bars and taverns around the world. So, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you enjoy our show, remember till I can subscribe. And now before I get any more nauseist than I already am, here are your hosts, Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden.
Speaker 1: Really well, Peter, you're of address this one. I think you're a little over address. Yeah. This is a It's just this is an interesting really no really, isn't it? When you heard about this?
Speaker 3: By the way, wait till the ends side of this interesting. I love when people because in radio my own assessment, I think today is one of the best we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be one of the best shows. I can tell it.
Speaker 4: Already that the really no, really is we read about in Brooklyn, I think every month. Now there is a thing called the naked comedy show.
Speaker 1: Three words. I didn't know it could go together in the same sentence.
Speaker 4: And and it's become it's become quite a successful venture. And it's naked comanian people get up. They're comedians, that's what they do for a living, but they decide to do it el buffo and uh, and it's it's become all the rage.
Speaker 1: And we heard about this and went.
Speaker 3: And we started thinking, are we gonna hear Dave Chappelle one night Medicine Square Garden in the round?
Speaker 1: Is the nude?
Speaker 3: I mean, is this the trend they were going to? What kind of comedians go? Is there a cutoff of handsome? You're too handsome? You can't do this.
Speaker 4: Harry Seinfeld doesn't even work with the top button.
Speaker 1: So we got on with us.
Speaker 3: Gentleman who's joined us, Billy Proceeder, who's the guy who produces the show.
Speaker 1: And you were in there and he as a performer in the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's he's a producer of the show and yeah, and also, uh, you have a podcast now, the man who podcast sex positive conversations.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: So you are a big proponent of all things naked and sexual and comedy and positive and again three things I didn't know to go together and positive and sexual did positive and nude.
Speaker 1: I have not experienced that myself.
Speaker 3: What we're going to get hopefully after after we talk to you and you're moving forward, body image. The fact that Jason has appeared many times naked.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're one of the most famous half naked posters in break I am a.
Speaker 1: Sexual icon from the nineties.
Speaker 5: You pick a dorm room, there's a third of a chance you're up there.
Speaker 3: Isn't it amazing? He's like an iconic for Kreischer. We will mock you, Jason. Alexander was chef naked before, so we want to talk about that because you being my friend.
Speaker 1: You did it in ARCA. I got your naked by episode three on Arc you got me naked when we first met it. You two are so cute together. I say, you two are adorable.
Speaker 3: You know what, We've been inseparable for thirty wow, thirty like two years now, which is amazing. So yes, we're best friends. Seeing him naked more than more than anyone seen you naked.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: So you started out as a comedian doing regular stand up, closed stand up, I'm guessing correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean about a year, year and a half into doing stand up, I did start doing somebody else's naked show because I was what twenty years old, and you didn't have to bring anybody, you didn't have to bark anyone in. I just had to be willing to take my clothes off. And as Andy said, uh, not suck.
Speaker 1: So wait I was it?
Speaker 3: So wow, So that's why you went because you can get time on stage.
Speaker 1: Free stage time. Wow. It's tough out there here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I heard it's hard to get stage time. So now, God, but if you're nervous to stand up anyway, I can imagine you're taking the train in, you know, going I'm doing this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do this in front of people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, but I'd already started experimenting sexually with being naked in front of more than one disappointed person at a time.
Speaker 1: Craigslist was very active when I was in college.
Speaker 5: I went to n y U, so I was already in the city, and you know, I was like sometimes going to watch a couple play or doing this and that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: With some group stuff, I don't know what I can say or not say for the U two you want, we'll cut it out or not cut it.
Speaker 4: Out or so nudity was not a big thing for you, just it didn't feel uncomfortable for you going in a little bit.
Speaker 5: But like I was already starting to get comfortable with it, you know, I was already getting okay with the idea let me let.
Speaker 3: Me just because I got to know body positive family. I mean, because my family would be what do you want to take? It would be the dumbest that they would just go out of their mind.
Speaker 1: It don't be showered in my underwear until I went to cos you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember the first time I went to a health club with my dad, like a swim club, and you're you're a little kid, so you're genital high and I'm seeing things I never want to see again. It was so traumatic. Yea, so here you grew up that way in a family? How supportive? What what allowed you to do that? To be free enough?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Do you know? I don't know. I think I just was cool with it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It didn't seem to really matter. Also, like I was, I looked very different in college. I don't know, thirteen years ago. I looked the body was easier to be confident in.
Speaker 3: Billy, everybody everybody looked different in college.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know you know what I'm saying. I didn't. I looked exactly. It looked like you now minus to go to the same body.
Speaker 4: I was basically this short, this fat, and my hair was already going.
Speaker 1: Always an icons hair. Other than that.
Speaker 3: No, wait a minute, I saw you when you did the McDLT commercial A that stuff.
Speaker 1: You were thinner. I had a jacket, all right.
Speaker 3: So Billy, you take the train, you got clean underwear, You get there, you just robe. What do you remember the first night? Do you remember vividly?
Speaker 5: I remember the first time. I remember the second time. The second time. The chick I lost my virginity to came down from Fordham. I was at She's a Form. She comes down to the old pit People's Improv Theater in Midtown. She brought friends. I said, it's the naked comedy show, right, Okay, I'm backstage. Andy the host. He goes up, does his ten minutes naked. I go up first for the bullet spot eat all the I bombed my face off naked in front of her. I go backstage and there's a text way for me. It says, I didn't know you were going to be naked. I'm like, it's the Naked Comy Show.
Speaker 1: So I thought you thought it was just a funny name, and you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, She's like I thought it was gonna be raw and uncensored, and I'm like, well, and then afterwards me in two comics who wanted to sleep with her friends went out for drinks.
Speaker 1: No one got laid. It was horrifying.
Speaker 3: So your prospective, your POV from stage is your ex girlfriend's face with her mouth wide open, going oh my god, Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I read served presence.
Speaker 5: I'm bombing that badly, like I do my opener, which is supposed to be strong, but I'm twenty. None of my jokes are strong, right, and by do that nothing, second joke, nothing, third joke maybe a giggle, And I'm like, this is a very long five minutes now.
Speaker 4: Was any of that material in that sort of debut thing? Was any of it referential to being naked? Or was it your act? But I have my clothes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't have jokes written for naked comedy, but and there's a lot of you know these like alternative comedy shows, they present moments of tension you can play with if you want. Sure, So when you're doing a joke naked, it just gives you a new opportunity to say something different or different tag or like I never realized I stand on stage with one leg bow legged until I started doing naked comedy because I was like, oh my god, I'm presenting to you. You know, it's just those little moments you realize, and so.
Speaker 3: The audience, God, this is so fascinating to me. I would be intimidated to come as the audience to tell you the truth because I would be I don't like seeing naked people around other people.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Watching you naked with other people would be embarrassing to me, rather than just seeing you naked. What's the audience like, are they a regular comedy audience or there's value added because they've come for some prurient interest.
Speaker 5: There's a prurient interest because it's like, what are you a law from the fifties throwing in prourient interests for you?
Speaker 1: Anthony comstock Man.
Speaker 4: I think Peter's how he phrased the question will tell you everything he needs to know. You're uncomfortable being in an audience of people who have come to see people being naked.
Speaker 1: You have layers of therapy. Oh my god, yes, oh my god. Yes.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm fascinated by who comes to this thing? Is it the same people go to the dining experience where they have the lights off, it's like blind dining.
Speaker 1: Just let's do it. Oh, I've heard of that. I've heard that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so's it that kind of crowd that it wants to do a new adventure or is it somebody who really is a comedy audience.
Speaker 5: I think we have a really good mix of audience. So we you know, at the core, the place is the place we do the show is called Haciendo, which is like a sex positive community space in Bushwick.
Speaker 1: But they throw sex parties.
Speaker 5: That's like, that's most of what they do is they throw sex parties and in the same basement they clear the mattresses and set up eighty chairs for a comedy show instead, so.
Speaker 4: Help turning on the black lights.
Speaker 5: So I think the core audience at first was like the Hacienda Crowd. I partnered with them to produce the show because you know a lot of people go to sex parties or sex workshops or whatever would also be.
Speaker 1: Interested in naked comedy show.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Then we started getting some of the newest because we started allowing the first two rows to be clothing optional. So now we have that crowd a bit. And then we got this New York Times piece and and you know whoever follows the comedians on the show, So then we get a little bit of that crowd in. We get some people, you know, fans of my podcasts come in. So we've got a mix of like normal comedy audience, my listenership, and then like generic comedy audience, which is weird. Sometimes we'll be like, oh, how'd you find out about the show? Some times the dude will be like, I just searched for comedy. No, you didn't know, you dan, You search comedy, the seller shows up, Okay, you have to search certain words to find this show right on event right.
Speaker 3: Well, and anyhow, the thing for me is that Naked Is is louder than comedy, you know what I mean? If you put it that way, So doesn't it overshadow the jokes. If you have a really strong set, do you ever do a control group and take it out and see what it's like clothes versus unclothed.
Speaker 5: I'm not booking just whoever's willing to take their clothes off. I mean, I loved Andy and what he created whatever, many years ago, but I always felt like he booked me. I mean, then what was the bar. I'm booking people where if it was a clothed comedy show, it's still a great show, you know, trying to book you know, people with credits, people with chops, people who are worth paying if they weren't taking their clothes off, right, But to be honest with you, after like the first thirty to ninety seconds, they're like, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Like what jokes? Do you know? Normalize? It really does normalize.
Speaker 5: After, especially later in the say, if you're the fourth, fifth comic, they'll be like, cool, we've seen it, We've seen some Like do you have material?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: Maybe if you're the first comic up there like whoa, whoa, it's naked. By the fifth comic, they're like, yeah, you got okay, what do you got here?
Speaker 1: But you know, tell me about your mom?
Speaker 4: You know, are you allowed to be a clothed naked given a performer given in that show gives Yeah, it came out great, didn't it will any performer still perform on that show that is not nude. So that's the thing. The performer got to be naked. It doesn't matter that you have clothing optional.
Speaker 5: When I see the first two shows we did, it was there was no nudity allowed in the audience and every show. Do you think we could get naked next time too? When enough people sold out packed?
Speaker 4: Are we talking like Madison Square Garden numbers or are we talking about sixty people?
Speaker 5: I mean, look in in the borough of Brooklyn, a seventy five seeded show outside of something at the at Barclay or what ever. I mean, that's probably one of the biggest comedy once one night a month, an orgy Basement in Bushwick is the biggest comedy club in Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Really, no, really, I promise you there.
Speaker 1: Are two proper comedy clubs.
Speaker 5: There's like two or three comedy clubs, and none of them can see eighty I think Eastville maybe can seat that many, but I don't think they're they're packing that in on any given Friday Saturday night, So like, yeah, once a month, we're probably the biggest show in Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: There's a whole world, but we don't know about this, the whole hundred stuff that's out there. We're sitting here like two idiots. When a naked podcast starting Tuesday and you.
Speaker 4: Much as we tell you, I don't know what kind of viewership we got.
Speaker 3: It would be wow wow. So are you at the point now? How long you've been doing it?
Speaker 1: One year?
Speaker 3: So do you feel totally comfortable going to the club, going to the undressing room, taking off your clothes, coming out, and just doing your thing. It's not even it doesn't even phase you anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm comfortable doing naked comedy.
Speaker 5: The thing I was more uncomfortable about is like I normally didn't MC as long as I've been doing stand up. No one was ever like, yeah, I have proceede a host. So I literally learned how to host stand up comedy this year naked, Like that's the only way I know how to MC. But like I can MC naked if you have a gig and you need a host, if I can take my pants off, I'll do a great job.
Speaker 1: Really, Otherwise I'm not too Shore. Let me ask you about that.
Speaker 4: So you're here in la if I sent you over to the comedy store, yea right, objectively? I mean, I know it's hard to be objective about this, but would your stuff be just as effective there as Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I meant like specifically MCing because that's such a specific cres like doing normal stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm confident in that I've been doing that a while.
Speaker 3: So does it bug you though any of the major Jerry Sidelet's not going to take his clothes off, Dave Chppe's not gonnake the close off because they probably feel I don't have to do that to be funny.
Speaker 1: Any of your guys that are the next guys that are breaking.
Speaker 3: Through that that you think will escalate out of the naked comedy thing.
Speaker 5: We've had a lot of comedians with like big credits, people on America's Got We had Jason Williams from America's Got Talent and whil'n Out. We've had people from you know who've done stuff on like MTV. You've done late night sets on the Tonight Show and Late Show and Late Late Show. We've had people who've been in just for last New York Comedy Festival. I mean, like I said, like, I'm not trying to book whoever. There's maybe maybe sometimes there's one spot where I'm taking a shot on someone, but otherwise it's like I'm booking people where I'm like, I'd pay you if you were totally closed, because you're worth it. I'm not trying to just I'm not usually scrambling for for comics.
Speaker 1: I'm getting good people.
Speaker 4: When you talk to a comic who has not done this before but they have some success, right, what are their questions, what are their hesitations? Why why do they decide to do it or not do it? What's their journey?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 5: I know some people have told me that they want to do it because of the whole body and security thing, and it's a way to tackle it and like tackle it head on and come at it and see that, oh, like my body it's valid and oh it's not that's scary to expose myself to some people, you know. Frankly, I mean the people who have been most self conscious when they turn me down because of the body stuff, usually got like thinner, fitter bodies than me.
Speaker 1: You know, I think a lot of the dudes.
Speaker 5: A lot of the cysts men who do it like they're definitely worried about the whole size thing.
Speaker 1: But also like, I don't know, grow up, it's fine, No one really cares. It's not what I've heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have to be really confident with your body at some point, I mean, to get to the more serious issue body shaming and all.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're a culture now.
Speaker 3: It used to do airbrushing on magazines all of the stuff, and now it's a big deal. They show like actresses Sam's makeup. We say we're more accepting, we're not going to fact shame all this stuff. However, body consciousness is still a major, a major deal to get over. I don't know how Jason does what he did well. He doesn't he takes I mean, like you said, you're you're okay taking off your clothes.
Speaker 1: I'm not. No, I'm not so so that it bothers you.
Speaker 3: Why don't you say no? What is it with you that got you to do that or feel comfortable enough to do it?
Speaker 4: I have done it for two reasons. One is is it funny? Can I and I am? I I might be more comfortable actually in Billie's environment, and not than if I was doing a serious, you know, sort of a sex scene in a film. I don't think of myself as a sexually provocative figure, but I do understand that there are more people that look like me than don't, so that there's something if we just go If we can't have a sense of humor about this, then the world is not a happy place. So I am okay, or I get myself okay to use my body for comedy. There was one film I did called Love alor Compassion, when I did a more serious nudity and but in that one I was able to get behind what why the character was making that choice, and it felt very.
Speaker 1: I really it was.
Speaker 4: It was I didn't have a sense of, oh, Jason's naked. Now, I had a sense of but.
Speaker 5: When you actually did it, how did it feel when you, like, literally were doing that in front of the crew and the cast?
Speaker 1: Not great? Not great?
Speaker 4: I mean the moments between the shots were excruciating for me. But that has more to do with me. You know, I'm I'm weird here. I have this very gregarious, extroverted persona. I'm in the public eye, I'm arguably celebrity, and I don't feel that most of the time.
Speaker 1: Would I'm much.
Speaker 4: Happier being not as visible and not as scene and not as so it's it's very uncomforted.
Speaker 3: But you do it, and you did it in our series, and you were a great sport about it, and watching you do it and getting the less was interesting for me because as your friend. It also bothered me a little because I thought, Wow, he's really got to put himself out there that way, and I'm really self I'm self conscious. I don't I have mirror I'm like a vampire. I have stuff on mirrors in my house. I don't like to see me naked at all. There's nothing appealing to me about seeing me, And I wonder Bill if this is something for you too.
Speaker 4: When I was doing those scends, a part of me was also going, well, if I'm uncomfortable, this is uncomfortable for everybody. It's uncomfortable for the crew too, So I've got to make it okay. I've got to make it something that we go, okay, we're all doing our jobs. We're fine, Let's just do this and have fun with it and move on.
Speaker 1: So part of my.
Speaker 4: Attitude, my projected attitude in those occasions, was trying to put everyone else.
Speaker 1: At eat You're comfortable and I got But is.
Speaker 4: That any part of your your audience is coming out specifically for this experience. But do you feel like you've got to even get that audience over the hump a little bit? I mean, I don't even care.
Speaker 5: I'm like I said, I'm booking a good show, so I know the audience is taking care of I'm most protective and want to take care of the comics. I want to make sure they're okay, they're comfortable, they're confident to go out there and kick ass, because, like, like.
Speaker 1: You just describe, you're the leader of that mood.
Speaker 5: So if if Jason is out there and confident and fine, then everyone's like, I guess everything's fine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I try to foster an environment at that show of like you know, I just try to create like a safe space for everything going on, which is weird because the green room is technically like a storage room, so it does not look like a safe space.
Speaker 1: But it's it's yeah, it's about the environment the culture you foster.
Speaker 4: Do you find that the women have any more of a challenge or do they respond even more? Is it do they have a different experience than the guys doing it.
Speaker 5: I don't want to speak for them right anything like that, but you know I will.
Speaker 1: I will say this, Like you see, you know, we.
Speaker 5: Talk a lot about like I think there's a lot of discourse about like stand up comedy lineups and diversity and lineups and whatnot. And I go like, I always have usually like two or three you know, women or fems on the Naked Show. So any time I see like a comedy poster and it's got only dudes, and it always has only dudes, I'm like, what's your excuse because I'm I'm getting them willing to take their clothes off? You won't, you won't even are you even trying?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Because I always yeah, you know, I think they can also face a different type of backlash from say, audience members potentially.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little extra risk there for them.
Speaker 5: But again, I just try to do whatever I can to help to assist to mitigate anything. You know, you know, someone there was one guy who like sent some d MS to a few female comics on an upcoming show.
Speaker 1: It's maybe a couple months ago, and I banned them.
Speaker 5: I refunded his stick I was like, you know, you're good because he's hitting them up, and he's only hitting up female comed You remember the Chris rock Jokes joke where he goes like you think the cops would shoot a white kid just to make it look good once in a while, right, It was like that. It's like, dude, this is blatantly you're trying, you know. So I was like, you're not welcome here, because like, I don't need I don't need creepy dudes making the female comics uncomfortable because them being comfortable as why them and their friends are willing to do it.
Speaker 1: I think he's much healthier than I am. Oh, for sure, we are.
Speaker 4: I am part of that world that that nudity to me is a thing. It's it's a threshold that that I always think there has to be a very good reason.
Speaker 3: To cross it. Making this is loud. Yes, it's making a statement. It's a thing.
Speaker 4: You and I know that we in this country in particular, we're accused all the time of having real problems, you know, with nudity and sexuality.
Speaker 1: And I get that.
Speaker 4: And I think the whole movement of our younger generations, as we become more and more open and available to people with you know, redefining themselves with gender and sexuality. We're becoming more and more open to the discussions. But but I'm you know, I'm still thinking. You know, someone drops their clothes, I go, I look the other way, because.
Speaker 5: Y'all are from a generation in between, right, because like a generation above you a little bit more of that free love, say sixty seventies stuff, and then my generation's kind of coming after all that, and there's like another one in between with a little bit more age.
Speaker 3: As I went to a spa with my wife in the desert, I go and they say, the the mudbands are outside over there, and I go, can I give you road?
Speaker 1: They tell you that they put on the robe.
Speaker 3: In it, and I put on the robe in the frigging slipper thing, and you know, it's all of that with the world. And I walk outside and there is a client from the radio station lying there completely naked.
Speaker 1: I mean in the mud in the mud.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, we haven't gotten in the mud bed. This is on the road to the mud Beth. There should have been warning signs up. You may see, like they say, you may see a lot like an animal park. You may be see across. So I'm going and there she is. This is somebody I know that I've worked with it And she is as naked as you can be, and like like spread out for to get a ten and I don't want to look.
Speaker 1: And she goes Peter and waits and to this she calling you see what I did.
Speaker 3: To this day, it's ingrained in my head because that was one of the most uncomfortable moments.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you something else about that place.
Speaker 4: My friend David Crane, who's the co creator of Friends, had the best line about that place. I won't I won't name place, but he said, I guarantee you at some point there were four millionaires sitting around the table going.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'll bet you have five million bucks. I can get people to plan to pay the lion mud. I was going, what kind of mud?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: So, what kind of mud?
Speaker 4: Way just steaks and leaves and and what And do you clean the mud out after each person?
Speaker 3: No, so it's exactly what you said. So I'm naked, my wife's naked, and we get in the mud. If you've never done that before, within three seconds, you know you've made an awful error, an awful mistake. And I don't know why it's not this, but they are twigs. There's all kinds oftuff and then ready, I don't know why this name came to my head, but I thought if Don Delawise was in here before me, I'm sitting in Don Delawi's and I literally hot mud. I'm claustrophobic, right, it's up to my neck, and.
Speaker 1: I got it's heavy mud. So they started.
Speaker 4: I got, I'm I'm mildly asthmatic. I don't know if I could breathe it.
Speaker 3: I got out of there as soon as I got in, and I went help me out. So your public public, publicly speaking, naked, and I give you, I do give you credit for that, because you are healthier than the both of us put together.
Speaker 1: I couldn't do it. I couldn't. In a hostile situation, I would just say me. I'm also willing to bet you're funnier than us. Yeah no, no, no, no, no problem. Now there's more Emmys at that table than mine. There's only.
Speaker 3: And it's complete, it's completely we don't have the display case yet. Well, thank you, be safe, thank you for coming in me. Should we just we're just gonna chat.
Speaker 1: We're gonna chat with you here and you can jump or not again.
Speaker 3: He is healthier than we are. But you have a history. There's been a history of nudity in the theater, which is really kind of interesting, A long history of nudity in theater. And we started talking. I said, talk about this on the air with it during the podcast. Because there's Equis, there's the Blue Room, there's Confederates, there's full Monty, the Graduate, Killer Joe and Butterfly. As I said, o' calcatta, Reefer Madis, the Vagina Monologuns, and on and on.
Speaker 4: And so, living out puppetry of the peafaetry.
Speaker 1: Of the penis. And some of those is interesting.
Speaker 3: Some of those were plays that originated with nudity, and some of them are plays that the director then decided to make a choice to add nudity to a scene or whatever that wasn't in the original et cetera.
Speaker 4: Well, when you and I were talking, I basically said, for me, ninety percent of the time, when nudity is done on stage, particularly but certainly even in film, I always go it's it's absolutely gratuitous. It wasn't necessary to tell the story or for the audience to feel the intent of the scene. It was absolutely not necessary, and I believe most of the time when it's employed, it is done for prurient purposes. It's to go, hey, we got somebody who looks great and they're naked in this thing and wait and come and see. So the perfect example for me. And again I'm not this sounds like I'm throwing shade at something. I'm not because I've never talked to any of the creators of the productions that do this.
Speaker 1: But if you look at the play Equis, if you.
Speaker 4: Don't know the story, it's based on an actual event where a young man, a teenager, blinded six horses, and the playwright started to try to write a play about why would somebody do that, and he came up with a scenario where the boy had equated horses with a sort of a christ like religious religiosity. So in the end of the first act, the boy in therapy reenacts a experience where he takes a horse out of the stable at night, rides him nude, and has a masturbatory experience on the horse. And that scene is always performed with the actor clothed. Now he's supposed to be naked. He supposed to be a sexual act and he's totally clothed. But in the second act, the scene where he is taken by the stable girl to the stables where he's going to lose his virginity, and that's where he freaks out because the horses are there.
Speaker 1: That scene is always done with the boy and the girl now nude. And I go, why.
Speaker 4: Why if we were able to experience the first act scene and we totally got the story and we totally got the experience, why are we asking these two actors now? And I go, because there's a girl. There's a girl there. And I always thought from the time and the first time I saw it, I was a teenager, and believe me, you know, seeing a naked girl was heaven to me. But even the first time I saw it, I went, that's really weird.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 4: And that's how I feel most of the time when I see nudity on stage or.
Speaker 1: Short scenes or even non.
Speaker 4: Sexual scenes in films, I go, why is it important that that actor be exposed to me in this way? So maybe we're moving toward that kind but you know, you also have a show that I really enjoy, which is Minx, and Minx is all about basically the creation of playgirls, right, you know, stuff like that, but it is done with an attitude towards the nudity and the sexuality. That is, I do not find that show gratuitous. And that's the atmosphere this would have been in. And they're all, it's nothing to them, And.
Speaker 5: Look to see who the creator and maybe some of the directors or writers of that is, like, are they dudes?
Speaker 1: Are they women? It's a it's a mixed bath, right.
Speaker 3: I also think I also think because I knew people involved in those areas at that time. Yeah, how they treated that was really interesting. They didn't treat it's purient. It was it was content yea, they were doing And then they were also hiring some of the best writers and for the magazine this after they wanted to get out Hearrott with some really good content.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing.
Speaker 4: The whole thing about Minx is she she's writing serious feminist right, you know, and that was her pieces. And the guy who plays the photographer is portrayed as a very serious artist. He actually would like to be doing other things, but he's doing what.
Speaker 1: He's wanted to do.
Speaker 3: A lot of the biggest writers in the sixties and seventy started in the point with Larry Flint. Yeah, started in that world. For a lot of those one it's it's well to me. I basically, what do you think next episode?
Speaker 1: You want to do it? Nigga? Do it? Shut up, Billy? Is he's still here? I heard, let's go to Google. Let's wrap this up.
Speaker 4: Yes, shut up, Billy.
Speaker 6: Well, here's the big thing, because when you make the decision to go out there and do your naked comedy, you have decisions to make. And I wanted you to be equipped with what you need to know before you.
Speaker 1: If I was equipped, I'd be a lot happier doing Yeah.
Speaker 6: But see, it's not just what God gives you, it's how you put it together.
Speaker 1: Sure, in twenty.
Speaker 6: Twenty three, what are things supposed to look like downtown?
Speaker 1: Well, I know we were supposed to be hairless. Well, I think we're past that. I think we're coming back around with hair You know, wait a minute, that point You know what I got to tell you? Really I have not.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're good friends, we have condens you know, I never had a manscating conversation to say, and I honestly don't know what things should be like downtown.
Speaker 1: I have some I have some options.
Speaker 6: I have sure because I know you know, Jason, you don't have a lot of options in certain areas, but other areas, I'm sure you could.
Speaker 1: You have the whole regia.
Speaker 4: Very too much, David pursue.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see.
Speaker 6: You can start out with the lion's man. Oh, sure, I will describe them, but only at your inquiry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I got the lions man. You got the lions made okay. The landing strip.
Speaker 3: Popular, very popular, Like the lines made for you have to have a considerable amount of hair to do to pull off the.
Speaker 1: Peter.
Speaker 5: When was the last time you trimmed down man?
Speaker 1: Rather than what is that? Yeah?
Speaker 6: And again these are for men, because you too, obviously are men as far as we do we are, so these are styles for men.
Speaker 1: The landing strip, landing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just some continuity from the flesh to the hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is an interesting one.
Speaker 6: The brief encounter what don't know, no grief encounter now.
Speaker 1: Like a crop circle like the night I lost my virginity? What? Well?
Speaker 6: No, simply trim all the areas of pubic hair that would stick out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Sorry, I have we have calls now.
Speaker 6: This is this is my favorite because this one takes some Gojones.
Speaker 1: The billiard balls. I don't want to know what that is, you know what I I can't even imagine. I'm already seeing. Uh no, probably not. We'll have to remove it.
Speaker 3: A lot a lot of blood on the floor and stipptic pencil.
Speaker 1: Just say, you.
Speaker 6: Pretty much leave everything alone, but a couple of things you really don't.
Speaker 4: I draw like a number on one of the one of my song the other one I paint white.
Speaker 1: Is that what that is? Yeah? Would you play with four stripe a little more? Yeah? By the way, is it Dale Earnhardt fans? So you have eight on your your balls? Is that is that one that's in there? If you're a NASCAR fan? Oh? Peter, would you ever?
Speaker 5: Would you ever trim up to just mimic this facial hair? What about that for a lot?
Speaker 1: David? Yeah, just bring that Downtown Browser. Mark. Well, thank you for that research. It was in value. I'm so glad we included your segment. You went to you always elevate you you say, how can I elevate? And you always do? Today?
Speaker 4: All right, Peter. I can do now is sit here and think of what you must look like naked. You've seen me naked? Where would I see you naked? We've gone to spring looking at you. You can't avoid.
Speaker 1: It, Jason, Did that knight mean nothing to you? Nothing? He's threatened by my nudity? Oh you bet? There you go. And it's always doing this my health. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Every single time I've ever gone on his places, it's you getting changed in me.
Speaker 1: Going, I gotta find the guy. I forgot my locker number every time, every time, and me go and ask the kid, find the kid that I had to get naked.
Speaker 3: And I'm always going, where's my excuse me, where's my locker number? And you go, I'll meet you with the thank you. Everybody run away while you can't really.
Speaker 1: Well now, really, really no, really, that's another episode.
Speaker 2: If really no really comes to a close, you're probably wondering what was the first time nudity was seen on the theater stage. Well, before I tell you, let's thank our guest, Billy Persida. You can check him out on Instagram at at Billy EA's Persida, on x and TikTok.
Speaker 1: He is at the Billy Persida.
Speaker 2: If you ever really No Really, let us know online at reallynoreally dot com. We're also on Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and threads at really No Really podcast. Our full episodes can be found on YouTube, where we would love you to hit that subscribe button, tick that bell so you're updated when we release new videos, which we do every Tuesday. Make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. And thank you for listening, subscribing, and sharing the show. And now, the first time nudity appeared in the theater was in the early nineteen hundreds, when naked models posed on stage at one Didn's Windmill Theater and New York's Zigfeld Follies. Now, at that time, the laws didn't allow nude or topless performances, but they did allow naked performers to pose absolutely motionless.
Speaker 1: As works of art.
Speaker 2: Now, obviously that wouldn't have helped naked Jason Alexander at all. He could be still as a stone and Nolan is going to confuse him with a work of art.
Speaker 1: And I am nauseous
Speaker 2: Again really to release the production of iHeartRadio and Blase entertainment,