Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 1: I made this case an article for drop site last week that basically the coalitions, the groups of voters that are fleeing the Democratic Party the fastest are the exact groups of voters that we're Bernie Sanders was the strongest, and it's because of you know what I just lay down about how he has a coherent, narrative vision of the world, He has a coherent, divisive politics versus this like dumb neoliberal laundry list crap that Gamala and Biden and all these people run with. And so he wrote out a pretty scathing indictment of the Democratic Party which we covered last week, where he said they've abandoned working class people, which I think is you know, under and I believe the case when you look at the way that the covid erasocial safety Net was rolled back under Joe Biden. Yes, they did good stuff on anti dress, good stuff on labor that is not helping people's material conditions today. So he put that out and Nancy Pelosi shot back at him. Here is Bernie getting asked about Pelosi's comments and responding, misticalisten.
Speaker 3: Bernie Sanders has not won. Let me with all due respect, and I have a great deal of respect for him for what he stands for, but I don't respect him saying that the Democratic Party has abandoned the working class family.
Speaker 4: Senator, how do you respond to Nancy Pelosi?
Speaker 5: Well, Nancy is a friend of mine and we've worked together on many issues. But here is reality I have to say to Nancy in the Senate. In the last two years, we have not even brought forth legislation to raise the minimal wage to a living wage, despite the fact that some twenty million people in this country are working for less than fifteen dollars an hour in americ today, we have not brought in the Senate, we have not brought to the floor the pro Act to make it easier for workers to join unions. We're not talking about the find benefit pension plans so that our elderly can retire with security. We're not talking about lifting the cap on social Security so that we can extend the solvency of social Security and raised benefits. Bottom line, if you're an average working person out there, do you really think that the Democratic Party is going to the mats, taking on powerful special interest and fighting for you. I think the overwhelming answer is no. And that is what has got to change.
Speaker 1: Some real talk there from Bertie. If you are your average voter, you really think the Democratic Party has going to the mat help and to help you.
Speaker 4: No, you don't.
Speaker 1: No, you don't because they are way too berholden to the donor class. And we'll probably cover this tomorrow, but even Center Chris Murphy put on a long tweet thread where he was like, you know what, Bernie out a point, and the fact of the matter is the reason that we attacked him, so vicur firusly is because what he says is uncomfortable for our donor base.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I was going to say, in terms of the accountability stuff, this one is almost like too insane to believe. We'll put it up there on the screen Jamie Harrison, the DNC saying that Bernie is quote straight up BS Biden was the most pro worker president in my lifetime, et cetera, et cetera. He said, there are a lot of post selection takes and this one ain't a good one. Yeah, which is really funny because I mean, I don't know, you know, I have a weird thing where, you know, in some ways Jamie Harrison is not necessarily wrong, like in terms of the individual like checklist politics, but that's kind of why I think culture and immigration did reign so supreme, because clearly, you know, that type of checklist politics is totally rejected, you know, by a lot of these multiracial working class voters who decided to do to go and to swing for Trump. Whereas I think Harrison and them are in this world where they think that they can laundry list, you know, box check things and that people will just come along with them, when it's pretty clear there's a much bigger story that is at play, right, And.
Speaker 1: It's also the fact, I mean, Biden is literally incapable of articulating what he did and laying out I mean, because I think that the anti trust stuff the labor stuff, like the you know, all of that has been very solid. The industrial policy of the bidendministration all very very good. Okay, maybe if you had someone who was capable of selling that and of portraying it as like, you know, these are some of the ways that we're pushing back against these economic elites, perhaps it would have mattered more. But I think more to the point of the idea that you hear from liberals are like, oh, well, actually the economy is great under Biden. It's like, no, it wasn't for most ordinary people.
Speaker 4: Guess what.
Speaker 1: Inflation hit them really hard. Prices still are quite high. Just because inflation slow doesn't mean the prices went back down. And under Trump there was a huge expansion of the social safety net to deal with COVID. Biden had his highest approval ratings and the Democratic Party was the most popular at the beginning of his administration when he was passing the expansive American Rescue Plan. The story of his administration viz. Of the most regular people is COVID era social safety net protections being rolled back, child tax credit gone, rent forbearance gone, student loan debt forbearance gone. All of these things that were incredibly important to people, that really helped them. Those are going away at the same time that inflation is spiking.
Speaker 4: So that's how most.
Speaker 1: Ordinary people are experiencing this. You know, as I hope Lena Khan stays I think that that direction, I'm very confident she won't.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I think that direction is really important.
Speaker 1: The labor stuff super important. But again, this doesn't hit right now today. So to pretend like, oh, this is an indictment of deliveryism or whatever I think is just foolish. And to pretend like the economy was so great for regular people under Joe Biden is just a complete fantasy world. So in any case, you know, Jamie Harrison right now is taking a lot of heat because his stewardship of the Dancy is a disaster, and so he's trying to blame shift and you know, pretend like Bernie doesn't have any kind of a point here. But there's a reason why Bernie Sanders continues to be even though he's quote unquote the furthest left in the Democratic Party, he continues to be one of the most popular politicians on either side of the aisle in the entire country, with independence, because it's not about this left right spectrum.
Speaker 4: It's about top versus bottom.
Speaker 1: And that's something Bernie instinctively gets and to your point, Cyber, almost no one else in the Democratic Party does. So you know, we'll see where things go from here. You do have bizarrely a few people on MSNBC and see CNN and Chris Murphy and David Brooks being like, hey, you know what, maybe Bernie had a point, But honestly, can I imagine them like going to war with their donor class.
Speaker 4: No, I can't imagine that.
Speaker 1: I think more likely what you're going to get is more of the Seth Moulton direction of like, let me just agree with the Republicans and their narrative framing of the world and capitulate on those issues, the kindler, gentler version hope that when Trump is gone that the next Republican can is less charismatic and we've got a shot against them. And you know, that's that's what I think is the most likely direction for the future of the Democrats.
Speaker 2: They're already posible. Yeah, let's go ahead and play the next one here. Just to give some more color on that.
Speaker 6: Joe Rogan, very popular podcaster, he endorsed Donald Trump in the final days of the election four years ago. You went on his podcast. You got a lot of blowback for doing that and fort touting that he endorsed you. So is this the kind of example of Democrats perhaps shunning or vilifying people who don't totally agree with them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's fair enough. Look, you goin to have an argument with Rogan, agree with them, disagree with them, But what's the problem going on in those shows? It's hought for me to understand that. So I think we've got to get it. And clearly, you have an alternative media out there, a lot of podcasts that have millions and millions of views. Get on the show, disagree with you here, I agree with you there. I don't see a problem in doing that. And you're right, I got vilified by some of the Democratic establish them because I went on Rogan show. Now a lot of other people are doing just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I thought that was It's funny too, because Dana Bash now it's almost sheepishly being like, well, you got a little blowback for going on there, and he's like, yeah, there was only wrong going.
Speaker 4: On there was on her network.
Speaker 1: Yes, she didn't have anything to say about it, then yeah, it's like, yeah, it's too late now, right, I mean, you know, and Rogan is kind of the like kind of emblematic of the Bernie to Trump pipeline, right, And that's what happens when you don't have a coherent worldview, you are you shrink from every fight. You're terrified of picking big fights, You're terrified of device apology. Again, Donald Trump is like the most divisive theory. Is not afraid of picking fights. You're not afraid of being controversy. It's not afraid of saying things that don't focus group and poll test well, like, take a lesson from that, Take a lesson from that, because that is actually the politics that are most successful. This was interesting. I wanted to show people this, put this up on the screen. In terms of AOC's performance, So her district actually was one of the biggest swings in the country towards Donald Trump. Now is it's in the Bronx, very overwhelmingly democratic, so it's not like he came close to winning, but there was a twenty four percent swing, almost a quarter percent swing at the presidential level, and AOC basically stayed exactly where she was, which means you have this very it's sort of confounding for a lot of the analyzes that are out there, especially the Lego Democrats were two woke analyzes because AOC is probably one of the most woke members of Congress, right fair to say, right of all the Democrats that are out there, you know, she probably is most comfortable talking about transgender issues and you know, doing land acknowledge like she does all that stuff. I think her language lately has been a little bit better and more accessible, but she definitely felt paray to, like the very academic language all of those things. And yet now there exists out there by the tens of thousands people who voted for Donald Trump and then voted for Alexandria Acossia Cortez, and I am bound to Determined Saga to find some of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are on a mission here at VP. If you voted for AOC in the Bronx and you voted for Donald Trump, please contact us and we will have you on the show. You mean, no troll you have How would we have proof? What's the what's the proof? You think people out there took pictures of their ballot There's probably enough people out there who did somebody has yeah, somebody, you got to have a proof about how you did it. We will vet you. It's not just anybody who will be allowed on this program. But I'm very curious to see who those people are. I really am. As you said too, there's some acknowledgment here on MSNBC also around this, Crystal Jen Saki, Let's take a listen.
Speaker 7: There is sexism, there's racism. All of that is true. But I also think there is a real question. I hope people start looking at about who people are listening to. In my view, there was an over listening to and an overlifting up of people who left Trump, not people who left the Democratic Party. The people who left the Democratic Party are the people who are going to win in the future. The people who left Trump, the never trumpers who have important voices and have that is not the winning coalition.
Speaker 1: It's funny for her to say that on Morning Joe in particular, because that is like, that's there never Trump HQ right there, right, I mean, that's who Joe Scarborough, that's who he is. So she's saying that to his face, which is quite extraordinary. And you know, I was just recalling remember back in twenty twenty soccer, when it looked like Bernie would actually win. It was like winning Nevada and there was no one who was there was like a short period and see it un kind of freaked out because they realized, like, oh shit, this guy could be the Democratic.
Speaker 4: Nominee, and we don't have really anyone in.
Speaker 1: Our roster who is part of this coalition, who can speak to it, who has any sort of access to it, whatever, And so they started booking myself and several other like Bernie type lefties. And then the second that you know, Cliburn moves in and Joe wins South Carolina, Bamba Mace's move all the Cannons drop out whatever, Like obviously they've never been invited back. And it is noteworthy that almost without exect you can point to if Unina's on there a few times, Meddi Hassan's on there now and then, but by and large CNN and MSNBC have completely locked down the Bernie left perspective from their airwaves. You are much more likely as a Trump Republican to make it on standon than you are, truly and you was certainly much more likely as a never Trump Republican and those people basically only exist in cable news green rooms. Yes, so if your whole worldview is being shaped by the ideology of Joe Scarborough and Cole Wallace, then yeah, you're going to come up with a very skewed understanding of what is actually making voters tick. And you know, I don't think it's an accident that the one ideology that really is basically completely shut out of any of these networks and completely invisiblized on any of these networks and we're dis miss etcetera, etcetera, is the one that maybe would actually threaten capital's bottom line. But you know, I do I expect any of this to change, even as you have a few people on there who are like, eah, maybe Bernie kind of had a point, Not really, but I guess it's like I'm glad to hear it better late than I never.
Speaker 4: But you know, it is where it is, like.
Speaker 1: The world has moved on, people have evolved their political views. You have certain things are will be very difficult to you know, shake people off of, Like the coalition that was there for Bernie is not a Bernie coalition anymore. Like the world has moved on, so to just try to, like now in retrospect recreate that from scratch, I'm just not even sure as possible. Let's talk about those chain of events that went down in Amsterdam. So there was a soccer game between with one of the clubs being this sort of like you know, hard right wing Israeli football club. It's so weird to me, I was saying to you, like, I don't understand soccer hooligan culture because it's so near to me that there's like politics associated with these different Yeah.
Speaker 2: Soccer, Well, it goes back to the original like brawling days in Europe, right, So, like you know, remember, I mean, if you read a lot of the history about post World War One Europe, there was like a real fus of outside gang soccer hooligans and others who would be explicitly affiliated like with the fascists or with the socialists or the communists or the other. So it's actually very very interesting if everybody's like Peaky Blinders goes into it a little bit. If anybody watches that show, it's very distinct. It's a euro thing. It does not exist here at all.
Speaker 1: So anyway, it was somewhat predictable because there is a large pro Palestine population in the Netherlands, and specifically among the like Muslims in the Netherlands, of which there is a significant number, that this could be cause for trouble, and in fact, there were some politicians who were like, guys, we got to take steps like this could be a real issue, because it's not like these Israeli football fans just show up and mind their business. As we will show you in some future videos. They were out chanting death to Arabs and bragging about how many Palestinians they murdered and vandalizing, burning Palestinian flags and attacking Muslim cab drivers and etc. And so there was an ugly and violent response to that. And I'm not justifying any of this violence all the way around, but by and large, the way the media covered this was as if the perfect little angel Israeli football fans mining their own business, came to town and then they were viciously hunted in the streets simply because of their religion. And obviously that lacks a whole lot of contexts. And you can imagine imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a group of Muslims who went to a town and were marching around chanting death to all the Jews and we're going to murder your children. I don't think that same context would probably be missing from the events that ultimately unfolded, so emblematic of this whole situation that went.
Speaker 4: Down and turned extremely violent and.
Speaker 1: Led to you know, hospitalizations and the Israeli fans having to be like air lifted out by the Israeli government. Sky News air of video that was actually somewhat honest about what unfolded and what led to the events, and then after they posted it, they had to take it down because providing that context and telling the truth about all of the events and how they unfolded was apparently too much.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 8: Violence in Amsterdam left at least five people injured and dozens had been arrested for what happened. Supporters of Israeli football club Macibi tel Aviv arrived in Amsterdam ahead of their UEFA Europa League match against Amsterdam club Ias on Wednesday. Social media videos verified by Sky News show maccabee Tel Aviv fans tearing down Palestinian flags from outside of homes. Other social media videos appeared to show residents chasing Macibee Tel Aviv fans. On Thursday, just before the game, crowds of Maccabee fans were filmed singing racist and anti Arab songs, while a pro Palestinian demonstration had been banned by the mayor over fears there would be clashes. Later that evening, during the match, Israeli supporters appeared to disrupt the minute silence for Valencia flood victims with chants, whistles and fireworks. Mccarby fans were seen attacking locals as a police car can be seen driving by. People with Palestinian flags were seen marching on the streets. Mccarby supporters say they were beaten and attacked on the streets of the Dutch capitol, with videos showing some of the violence.
Speaker 1: So, in any case, ugly actions taken all around. But because this piece from sky News actually showed some of the provocations and some of the violence from the Israeli side, that had to be predictively. The reaction has been insanely hyperbolic from and dishonest from American politicians and influencers. We can put up a little sampling. We got some highlights here from Richie Torres, who says that Mehdi Hassan is justifying a pagram against Jews in Amsterdam. Barry Weiss, there's a pagram unfolding right now. They all got the pagram message right away, President Biden. The anti Semitic attacks on Israeli soccer fans are despicable echo dark moments in history when Jews were persecuted.
Speaker 4: No one asked agar why the You know, Jewish people who are.
Speaker 1: Living in Amsterdam, they don't seem to be having too much of a problem. You know, it's kind of weird if they're just like hunting Jews on the streets now in Amsterdam, you would think they might have some issues that preceded this particular event.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is wild. And at first I was like, oh, well, it's crazy. I mean, look, it's like semi plausible that the Arab populations who live in Europe, who have long standing like Islamist beliefs would be anti Israel's I guess, you know whatever. And then you know, the more I looked and read into it, I was like, wait, hold, I was like, none of this shit makes any sense at all. And this is part of the problem is in terms of the rhetoric also that people throw out for you know, pogram is program is a term that has a specific meaning, right, It's like state sanctioned mob violence against Jews to expel them from land. A even a clash would have been a better way to describe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I think that's.
Speaker 2: Like accurate, right, Yeah, we could say accurate like there was a clash on the streets where a bunch of Israeli soccer hooligans basically brought a lot of attention to themselves and then a bunch of people who were pro Palestine were like, hey, screw that, and then they got into a fight. Okay whatever I mean. By the way, that's quite the norm for like anything in terms of Liverpool versus Manchester or whatever. But to describe it as one way is just simply inaccurate. It's it's literally false, and that's part of the victim complex that pervades like so much of this within the media too. And we were talking to our producer Griffin who was watching CNN and he was like, guy, this Amsterdam story is as big as the election over on CNS, and it's like and that's the only reason I even feel insane. That's another question. Why is the president of the United States tweeting out about whatever some bullshit clashing streets of Amsterdam. We have way bigger shit going on in this country. Okay, Israel, sure, that's your country. You deal with your problems. Well, like, why do we have to get involved? And then people are like, oh, we should cut off, like we should cut off relations with the Netherlands, Like.
Speaker 4: What is going on here?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I saw somebody say that was what the fuck is happening here?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I just I just can't.
Speaker 2: But by the way, Amsterdam it's a cool place. I don't you never bet. I hate the weed, hate the drugs and all that. But other than the fact they've ruined it for themselves with their drug policy, beautiful city.
Speaker 1: So you actually had this young dust journalist. I saw that he is like fourteen years old. Go ahead and start playing this who actually did some on the ground reporting that has been important for people to be able to, you know, push back and like actually show some of the events that preceded the worst of the violence.
Speaker 4: And in the.
Speaker 1: Video, as this person writes, they can be seen carrying steel pipes throwing stones at homes.
Speaker 4: So you know, you can see these were not just like little.
Speaker 1: Innocent you know, I'm just coming to watch the game and have a good time. And then when they after they were airlift and put the next one up on the screen, after they were flown out by the Israeli government back to Israel. Here they are arriving at Tel Aviv airport and guess what they're singing, IDF wll F the Arabs. Why is school out in Gaza? There are no children left there. So again, like even after all of this, like this is who we're talking about, Okay, these are not some just like innocent minding their own business people. This was part of the provocation, along with actual violence, vandalism.
Speaker 4: Et cetera. So just the thoroughly, thoroughly.
Speaker 1: Dishonest telling of events and reporting of events that has the impact of you know, if you're just like a regular or Jewish person taking in this narrative, regular person in general, you would feel much you would feel it, oh my god, like people are just being hunted out there for no reason. And it doesn't help people make sense of the world and understand cause and effect and how this all ultimately unfolded. And again, I am not con like I think violence all the way around apporrent, I don't think it's a way to respond to even the ugliest of provocations such as these, but you have to be honest about the events that actually unfolded. At the same time, I wanted to update everyone on a un report that has come out that has laid down in horrific detail exactly who is being killed by the IDF in Gaza. Strip We can put this up on the screen. So this is a graph that shows by age and also by gender, who has been killed in residential buildings in Gaza since October seventh. And as this person pines, the base of this pyramid of death are babies and toddlers. So those largest bars that you see at the bottom, the single largest age group that was killed were five to nine year olds five to nine year olds. If you add up all these numbers, you'll find that some seventy percent of those killed that you know are confirmed and still a lot of questions about exactly how many people have been killed, but seventy percent of them females and children, women and children. So that's what we're talking about here in terms of the prosecution of this war. Also let's put this next piece up on the screen, because this is also significant and totally something we've predicted and has been obvious to anyone who is following. But why not is now admitting that net Nyahu's Mochrich ben Givier in the type they do not want the hostages back. They say that the problem of the hostages will be solved quote naturally and tragically because they will be killed the deaths in captivity. They write in why of another twenty to thirty hostages will be swallowed up in the sea of morning for the fallen soldiers. Then, when public anger is channeled against the US, Israeli leadership will not be in a hurry to withdraw from the Gaza territory, that the idea of captured from the terrorist organization. Ministers in MK's on the right do not hide their ambitions to establish settlements there. And you know, BB basically place to bet that Trump would be victorious.
Speaker 4: He was correct. He fired.
Speaker 1: Now you have Galant, who is not a good guy. He's you know, was the one who was talking about Palestinians or animal human animals, we need to treat them as such. But he was within the government interested in pursuing some sort of a ceasefire deal and hostage negotiation deal. He has now been asked the quote unquote General's plan is in full effect where they're sealing off northern Gaza. Anyone left there no aid is just going to be murdered and massacred strikes continue within the Gaza strip that continue, you know, are devastating and Biebe definitely feels now like he has a completely free hand, not that he didn't before it, but now he has a completely free hand, including to do things like just re established settlements in the Gaza Strip, which is something that's very important to as coalition partners.
Speaker 4: Where he may have.
Speaker 1: Had a fear that Biden Harris administration might have drawn some sort of red line there. We can be damn sure that now there will be no red line and he'll have his friend at least Stefanick in the UN.
Speaker 2: It's on the whole red line thing though, like Biden didn't have red line, let him invade Lebanon, he let him take over the West Bank and let him level Gaza. So like, you know, substantively, will there really be any difference, I think it will just be rhetoric.
Speaker 1: It's hard to say, to be honest, I mean, I think certain things I do think are different. For example, like Miriam Maddilson, who is one of Trump's top donors, one of the things she wants is to allow them to annex the West Bank as well. So I think, you know, it's clear actually in that Macabee soccer video that we played, one of the soccer who wigets was running around with a Trump sign, like Israeli's overwhelmingly wanted Trump because they're not even gonna get any tutting, any pressure, know, nothing whatsoever. So I do think it's some different, But you know, it's impossible to argue at this point that it's not like Biden and Harris drow any hard red lines that they ever.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what I mean. Look, in practice, this is also where the farce. You know, it's like, oh, well Israel is officially going to annex the West It's like, okay, well they literally occupy it, they run it. They know it's in terms of militarily occupying, arresting, and have total impunity. Right now, is there any difference between that and official annexation? Like not really? I mean, I guess in terms of internal administration. But you know, I mean, I'm not seeing that much different. You know, the one thing people should hope for is don't forget this. So the reporting is is that Trump has talked to Netanyahu three times already. He was elected six days ago, so no, actually really five days ago in terms of the number of calendar days. Three times they've been on the phone. Remember that reporting and behind the scenes where they're like, he was like, look, you do what you got to do, but you need to wrap this up by that time that you're over one thing that is a thing against Netanyah? Who is that? Because Netanya who is one of the first leaders to congratulate by his on Trump's or on Biden's election. Trump never forgave him for that and still is very upset. So there is possibility of some like, look, I'm not going to paint some pro pala side picture any of that. All the policy stuff is going to go in Israel's direction. I could see him saying something along lines of listen, you've had your fun, but now it's over, like we cannot deal with all of these bombings and this anti aircraft defense. Just from a sheer like aesthetic perspective, that he doesn't want to deal with it, that is. And the other thing is BB in them if they do give them, you know, the West Bank and all this other maybe they say, you know, with the firing of uf Glaunch and all this, maybe we don't expand the war we've gotten. I mean, look, they've gotten everything they've ever wanted. They have total control of guys, they have total control of the West Bank, and they literally are militarily occupying the sovereign nation half the sovereign nation of Lebanon. What else could you want, like, other than regime change in Iran, that's not going to happen at least we can hope.
Speaker 1: So well, Yeah, I don't know why you're so confident about that one. I mean, he put in charge of filling out some of his more positions is Brian Hook's guy is very pro.
Speaker 2: Hook is on the fence right now. He's not in charge per se. He's up for NSA and he's part of the transition.
Speaker 1: But there is still almost uniformly throughout the Republican coalition there's a good divide on Ukraine.
Speaker 4: On Iran, there's really not a divide.
Speaker 1: I mean it like Trump himself was out saying, hey, let's they should strike Iranian nuclear facilities, And the track record of his first administration was extremely hawkish vs Iran. So you know, I think it's very likely that you're going to see a hawkish foreign policy vis.
Speaker 2: I think you will see heavy sanctions and look sanctions piece, no question, all right, in terms of choking the Iranian economy, that's going to happen. No, there's no doubt about it. The actual war though, I wouldn't be so sure. So Bridge Colby, who's up for National Security Advisor, he was just on Tucker Carlson Show yesterday making the case against war with Iran. Whyat would be a disaster. There are several and that was one of the first sections actually that Tucker talked about with him. It's a big priority for Tucker. It's also a big Don Junior thing also in terms of in terms of the coalition for how it all looks like, you're not wrong in terms of them being more hawkish, like on the nuclear deal and all that, But for actual regime change, it's more figures like Hook and others who may push that, but they're as far as I can tell right now, a little bit more in the minority. I don't want to overstate the case. You know, for example, heavy sanctions on Iran could still lead to a conflagration because of the nuclear program. You know, who knows that the Iranians also get a vote. I don't know what they're gonna do. You know, if they could decide to say fuck this, I'm going nuclear after the way that we've been treated over.
Speaker 4: The last honestly, you know, five years, logical thing for them to do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just as controversial.
Speaker 1: To say, but that, I mean, that's the sum total of our foreign policy.
Speaker 4: Makes that the logical direction from.
Speaker 2: Me, and nobody wants to hear it. But yeah, you know, look at Kim Jong un. The best thing that they ever did was get a nuclear weapon. It was correct. Every time we tell the Kim regime, we're like, hey, you guys should give up your nukes, They're like, are you kidding me? Look at Gadafi, they shoved a rod up as asked. It's never happening with regards.
Speaker 1: To Russia, like the there's even any reluctance to just go in there and like crush one is because they have an act right, So that's the foreign policy. I'm not saying it's good. I think there's you know, I'm in favor of, like, you know, getting rid of the Dukes all together. But that's the logic that we've laid out in terms of our foreign policies.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if I was a roun not just like that, we should have all of things.
Speaker 2: Look at India, Pakistan, right, you know, Saudi Arabia, Israel. Everybody knows Israel as a nuclear we I mean, these people will do it for a reason, so it is highly rational for them to pursue. I don't disagree with you. The only question is whether they can withstand the economic pressure. I'm not sure. I mean, their economy is it's a problem. And you know, obviously they've they've got they've already come off of years of issues. So it's really up to them and to their own regime on how they want to decide.
Speaker 4: All right, Sorry, were you looking at well?
Speaker 2: Election Night twenty twenty four was historic for many reasons that we have covered and we will continue to cover on this show. But one of the great shocks of them all, even to someone like me who has observed and participated in those trends for the better part of a decade is how many of you spent election night. It used to be really not that long ago. Election night was synonymous with cable news. It was one of the few monopolies that they had left. They had the data, they have the analysts, they have the pull to project and to call races. I'd say even a decade ago, they had a near total monopoly on all of it, despite the rise of social media. But within the last decade it is almost flipped completely. And even I was shocked at the statistics that came out showing how precipitous the drop in ratings for cable news networks on election in twenty twenty four was. Nielsen data released after the election shows that some forty two million Americans tuned in to watch election night coverage last Tuesday. That is a full twenty five percent drop from four years Prior internalized that twenty five percent drop in just four years for literally the most important night in cable news history, an election where more than one hundred million people voted and where more than half of them were not watching cable television. Juxtaposed that with the sheer numbers that we were talking about in terms of people who are consuming new media. A new Wall Street Journal analysis finds it nearly forty seven percent of US adults have now listened to a podcast in the last month of twenty twenty four, with hockey stick growth growing every single year since twenty ten. What's even more astonishing are the numbers with Americans below the age of fifty four. That same analysis finds it more than fifty percent of Americans below the age of fifty four regularly consumed podcasts, with a slightly higher share of men than women. Compare that with the lightning growth of that lightning growth with the median age of cable TV on MSNBC, the median age of seventy. On Fox, it's sixty nine. On CNN it's sixty eight. So remember that the median age. That's the median, which means there's a group of eighty and ninety year olds who are also watching their fair share of cable TV. All of this data even tracks what we are doing here. Election Night was our biggest ever livestream viewers, downloads, and we are just a small slice of a pie that includes dozens of independent shows out there, all of whom at least that I've spoken to. They all had major record ratings and nights after the election. This is incredibly important for a number of reasons. One is it validates a central bet that the Trump campaign made about three months ago to go on as many podcasts as possible, to reach as many people as possible, especially for young men, and hope that they drive out to vote. There was a lot of discussion around this, but on the other side of this election we can say confidently it worked. Trump won more than voters under the age of thirty than any Republican candidate since two thousand and eight. But the headline is not just that he blew Kamala Harris out with young men under the age of third thirty. It's also that he improved his vote margins significantly with young women. Here too, there are some very interesting explanations. It's not just podcasts that young people are consuming, but also TikTok, Instagram, and short form content. Trump wrapped up an astonishing fourteen point three million followers on TikTok versus Kamala Harris only had nine point three million, and the same journal analysis finds that some forty percent of Americans under the age of thirty used TikTok as a regular source of news, especially young women, and basically every way across all platforms. Trump dominated new media. Accident. That is also the same election where he won the popular vote for the first time. It is not an accident that it's the same election where he won a majority of Latino men and dramatically improved his margins with young black men. There are almost no demographic groups in the United States that did not shift towards Donald Trump. So I will end with the recommendation then to the Trump white House. The biggest mistake that you can make is to fall into the traditions of Washington. As I described in detail here in a post on Twitter, the entire White House Correspondents Association is a cartel. It is designed to keep out new entrants, not just conservatives, but people like our very own Ryan Grimm. They run the credentialing process, the seating chart, and they have in place a million rules to stop new media from coming in. The Trump white House actually owes its win to new media in a way that nobody has before, and to the Internet, unlike endly candidates since Barack Obama. So it is vital they shake things up, do away with the current White House breast briefing as we know it. Stats in the rooms should not be they should be rotated. Preference should be given actually to those with audience it's, rather than the aging television networks who have preference for traditions that go back to the nineteen eighties. Left and right wing journalists of all stripes and audience should be invited, and the briefing itself should have the pace of a longer YouTube video rather than the current cable TV style food fight debate that those people turn it into. This will require a lot of work and it will piss off the traditional press royally, but all the data I have presented here makes the case that to not do so would actually be against the interests of the Trump White House, but it'll also be against disservice to the American people. As traditional media is losing its relevance and its viewership, it is imperative for the People's House to actually meet Americans where they are at, and we can say confidently they're definitely not on mainstream media, at least not anymore. I think it's crazy, Crystal.
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear my reaction to Sagres's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com. In the wake of Donald Trump's sweeping battleground state victory, the Potsdave America Bros. Made a pretty stunning revelation for actually, it could have been so much worse.
Speaker 4: Here is Jon Favreau.
Speaker 9: Joe Biden's decision to run for president again was a catastrophic mistake.
Speaker 5: It just was.
Speaker 9: And he in his inner circle they refused to believe the polls. They refused to believe he was unpopular. They refused to acknowledge until very late that anyone could be upset about inflation. And they just kept telling us that his presidency was historic and it was the greatest economy ever. We just heard him again say that it's the greatest economy ever. Clearly seventy eighty percent of voters don't believe that. They don't believe that about their own personal financial situation, but they just keep telling us that. And then after the debate, the Biden people told us that the polls were fine and Biden was still the strongest candidate. They were privately telling reporters at the time that Kamala Harris couldn't win, So they were shiving Kamala Harris two reporters, while they told everyone else, not a time for an open process, and his vice president can't win, so he's the strongest candidate. Then we find out when the Biden campaign becomes the Harris campaign that the Biden campaign's own internal polling at the time when they were telling us he was the strongest candidate, showed that Donald Trump was going to win four hundred electoral votes. That's what their own internal polling said.
Speaker 1: Four hundred electoral College votes. Do you understand what that looks like? With the actual results, Dems took a real shallaking, losing the Senate, almost certainly failing and went back the House, but they kept it close enough that they probably lived to fight another day. A Joe Biden four hundred electoral college vote defeat means Republicans at or close to a filibuster proof supermajority in the Senate, a gigantic margin in the House. It means the Democratic Party completely burned to ashes, with nothing but a post apocalyptic landscape remaining. The Mandate and the power of Trump's Republican Party would be unmatched, not even close in modern politics. After all, Reagans still had to contend with the Democratic House, even as he notched landslide electoral college victories. The four hundred electoral college vote revelation is important, though, for a number of reasons.
Speaker 4: First of all, obviously.
Speaker 1: An indictment of Joe Biden himself, whose legacy is now genocide. Plus ushering an unrestrained Trump back into the White House, the arrogance and delusion of this man is truly stunning. It's also clearly an absolute indictment of every single party official elite who circled the wagons to keep Joe Biden in the race and to prohibit any sort of real Democratic primary. You people claimed you thought Trump was an existential threat, You sure a shit did knack like it, did you? Instead, you marched delusionally forward, claiming the president in a clear state of advanced decline was really a secret political genius. But this alternative timeline four hundred electoral College vote defeat is also a potential forecast of what could come should the Democratic Party not make a dramatic turn now, Because as bad as the selection was, Democrats haven't even come close to hitting rock bottom. Dem saw dramatic shifts against them among Latino men and gen Z young men in particular, the class divide was quite stark. Harris one voters earning over one hundred k and Trump one those earning under one hundred k Kamala lost ground among voters of color of all education levels. And what's more, there is absolutely no reason to think that any of these shifts and realignments are complete or that Democrats have found their actual floor. It is entirely possible that the four hundred electoral college defeat is where the presently constituted Democrats are headed and fast. Just think about it pretty simply. Roughly speaking, only about a thirty adult population has college degrees. Massachusetts actually has the highest percent of college guards in the country, and even there, college graduates do not comprise a majority of the adult population. This leads to a pretty simple conclusion. If non college educated voters continue fleeing the Democratic Party, that party is cooked, relegated to a powerless, permanent minority party status. There is nothing written in law or nature that requires the country to be an evenly divided roughly fifty to fifty split. In our own country's history, we can see periods of disproportionate one party dominance, and no one shouldool themselves either about the measures fully empowered Republicans with a stack Supreme Court would take to ensure that the Democratic Party could never meaningfully fully compete again. Trump just won on a genuinely anti democratic message. After all, he literally called for abolish in the Constitution, acting as a dictator on day one. Supreme Court has granted him immunity for all official actions, and Republicans have a clear roadmap to follow in the program of Hungary's Victor or Bond, where he has used the veneer of democracy to successfully permanently entrench his own regime before a stunning landslide victory. Or Bond described how to effectively gain permanent control of a so called democracy, saying quote, it was enough to win just once, but.
Speaker 4: Decisively, that was the way.
Speaker 1: Now Republicans may be one more cycle with this level of realignment away from winning just such a crushing victory. Now it's the initial shock of Kamala's lost weares off. Don't be surprised if the democratic consultant, establishment and donor classes begin to quickly reassert themselves and claim there's no real need for a course correction, let alone a dramatic overhaul. It's already happening. In fact, that's what the Bernie versus Pelosi fight we covered earlier.
Speaker 4: Is all about.
Speaker 1: Just listen to Jim Clyburn, the man most responsible for propping up Biden and putting Kama on the ticket, saying there's no point playing the blame game.
Speaker 4: Right guys.
Speaker 10: I just think that as we take an assessment of all of this, we all to just chill out for a while, get in touch with each other, don't worry about blaming anybody. You know what they say, success has a thousand parents, Failure is an offer, and so when you really successful, everybody claims credit. When you come up short, everybody seems to scatter and assign blame. I think that all of us will be taking stock of exactly where we are as a party, what happened in this election, and then go from there. I don't want this election to define how we go about treating candidates of color or candidates who maybe women. I think we'll just take the stop of who and what we are and not get caught up and pointed fingers and sign and blame.
Speaker 1: Yes, I I'm quite sure that Jim Cliburn does not want finger pointing, because a good number of those fingers would be pointed right at him. Absolutely incredible. You're going to hear a lot of it. Though, you're going to hear it wasn't really so bad. Look at the three battleground states. Trump only won by a narrow margin, and almost all of the swing state Democrats kept their seats.
Speaker 4: These types will.
Speaker 1: Point to the losses suffer by incumbent parties globally and they'll say, see, we've just were facing really tough headwinds, guys, wasn't really our fault. They'll offer some limited critiques of some small ball tactics.
Speaker 4: Hey, Kamala should have gone on with Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: They'll invent things completely, like claiming Kama was too woke when she spent the entire campaign studiously avoiding wokeness. Or they'll blame a singular individual like Biden or Pelosi Kama herself, not depending on merit, but depending on their own intra party tribal affiliations. Now, in a sense, this criticus have merit. It was close in the industrial Midwest, after all, I think it is plausible to imagine maybe a Gavin Newso, maybe mayor Pete or even big Gretch could have pulled off the election victory. The exact place where Dums find themselves today is still in the ball game enough that it is conceivable some small adjustment could have been sufficient to win this particular election. The current status of the Democratic Party isn't a complete catastrophe, but make no mistake, the long term trajectory is death. If the trends that the party saw between twenty sixteen and now continue unmitigated, it will be utterly catastrophic in a way that is probably unrecoverable.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: After Hillary lost in twenty sixteen, Democrats had a chance to actually learn some real lessons about their abandment of working people, to see the writing on the wall about their future electoral prospects. Instead, they chose denial. It was sexism, it was comy, it was Russia. Hillary herself, self interested in blame shifting, of course, led the charge. Biden's extremely narrow victory was taken as vindication, but once again the alarm bells were ringing. The continued shift of Latinos towards Trump, the widening of the education divide, the fact that Biden was barely able to win while Trump was literally getting people killed in the middle of a pandemic. It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the Democratic Party. Do not underestimate that party's desire and self interest in once again learning nothing and changing nothing.
Speaker 4: Just think about it.
Speaker 1: Kamma's campaign was a multi billion dollar industry. Consultants received multi million dollar contracts, the checks cash whether those ads worked or not. The DNC it's a cartel for Texas chosen consultants and allied politicians. CNN and MSNBC exist to carry the establishment party line.
Speaker 4: It's a racket, and it won't be disrupted.
Speaker 1: By a few establishment types meekly whispering.
Speaker 4: You know what, guys, maybe Bernie was right.
Speaker 1: So for anyone who's left of MAGA, for my Libs and my lefties alike, we gotta be crystal clear about a few critical things. Number One, third parties are a waste of fricking time and energy. I'm sorry, I wish it wasn't that way, but it is right. Choice voting just got beaten even more badly than the Democratic Party and state referendums. I wish it wasn't true. The most credible third party candidate, doctor Joe Stein. She got less than one percent of the vote. It wasn't even enough votes for Demps to try to blame her and call her a spoiler. The only electoral vehicle for opposing trump Ism is the Democratic Party number two. The Democratic Party itself is in danger of extinction as meaningful opposition. Everyone who's been steering the ship over the past eight years, they should all be fired, every brain done, consultant contract terminated, and crucially crucially, the working class must be put ahead of the party's donors. Senator Chris Murphy, to my surprise, actually got a lot right in a recent tweet thread, where he wrote, in part, when progressives like Bernie aggressively go after or the elites that hold people down, they are shunned as dangerous populous. Why maybe because true economic populism is bad for our high income base. Yeah you think now, Look, Trump is done in four years time. His successors don't have nearly the juice that he does, as evidenced by the fact that he outperformed nearly every Republican in the country. Democrats may have kept the margins close enough in the House and the Senate to stay in the game for now, but it is time for a dramatic turnaround or that four hundred electoral college wipeout that Joe Biden was heading for could be just around the next four year corner. So yeah, it's pretty dire for them, and I'm not sure that And if.
Speaker 2: You want to hear my reaction to Crystal's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com. Thank you guys so much for watching. We appreciate you. Obviously, you got me a lot of big policy show today. I loved it. It was a lot of fun to talk about and we'll continue to have that going so at Breaking Points dot com. Otherwise, we'll see you all tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Speak beca