Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: As we've said, Tim, there's just so much coming at us on this Tuesday, and E love it is because of end Video, but there's just so much going on when it comes to AI related news today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Opening I continue so to forge relationships, as does PayPal. The two announce to tie up whereby PayPal's digital wallet will be embedded into Chat GPT. It'll send PayPal shares up the most in more than six months, or it did send PayPal shares up the most in more than six months. And then the Microsoft news that we've talked about quite a bit, Carol, longtime backer, Microsoft a twenty seven percent ownership stake in Open Ai. This part of a restructuring plan that took nearly a year to negotiate. It rooms a major uncertainty for both companies. And clears the path for chat GPT and the maker of chat GPT to become a for profit business.
Speaker 2: It's a lot, so let's get into it and really just how open ai continues to be at the center of so much. But we've so many questions about why Microsoft is doing this at this time. Limberg Intelligence senior technology analyst an rog Rana joining us from the Bloomberg News bureau in Chicago, anurag why is Microsoft doing this? Did the company need to do this kind of cement that relationship financially and otherwise with open Ai.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they had to do it because Open the Eye has been raising capital with the idea that they will go from a not for profit to a for profit company eventually going public someday. So I mean this had to be done. The big contentious for there are so many things that they were arguing against, you know, revenue share, technology share, all sorts of different things. Microsoft had controllable which cloud providers that they can use, et cetera. So this new agreement kind of cements a lot of those things, removes a big overhang that's on I would say more on Microsoft than on open Ai, frankly, because Microsoft is using open eies technology in their products, in the copilot products that are out there. You know, that's I think for us that's the most important thing. Frankly, it's not so much the other financial details.
Speaker 3: Since Microsoft will have this twenty seven percent ownership stake in open ai, can we look at Microsoft share price on a daily basis as some sort of public proxy for open ai and how investors are valuing open Ai or am I trying to do too much math here?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I think that's that's a bit too extrapolation over there. The thing that you want to focus on is or how many US will Microsoft has have access to open EI's leading models. So when you look at frontier models, you have open Ai, you know, perhaps you know most in the lead. Then you have Entropic Gemini. Those are the three big ones that everybody talks about down the road. Microsoft needs to make sure that the copilot products that they are selling out to the public, both on the M three sixty five and then the GETHLP co pilot which is used for coding, they really have an alternative to open EI. One answer could be they have their own models, but they're not there yet. So this contract, you know, extend that to twenty thirty two, which is, you know, you can say that they're giving themselves seven years to figure this thing out.
Speaker 6: Help me out.
Speaker 2: Though, It's just like open ai and Microsoft. I'm looking at the Bloomberg open ai and PayPal, open ai and SoftBank open ai, you know, pick your company. They are just I feel like lining up deals or agreements or relationships with everybody and anybody. I mean Microsoft, I mean, are they going to have to share the wealth if you will? And does it become a little bit messy because I'm just assuming that there will be companies that maybe in some ways are also competing with Microsoft that have deals with open ai or is that not right?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: See it's a very common thing in technology. Almost everybody who's competing with each other are also working closely with each other. So that's you know, that's on the side. But when you look at open ai, that's an area where you and I use a chat GPT a lot. But imagine that. Now what you can do is, you know, let's say they have a partnership with Walmart with PayPal. Today you are looking at a product and you decide that you can just buy the product seamlessly from that. They have a similar agreement with Stripe and Shopify. So what OPENINGI is basically saying, let us be the front end for a lot of what you're doing. Let's say on the consumer side, so example that I gave you is more for a retail purchase. But on the other hand, they also have a deal with Salesforce, so for example, if you are in chat GPT and you want to look at your Salesforce application, you can do that as well. So open AI wants to make sure that they are the front end for a lot of discussions that are going to happen, and that's where I think a lot of the fighting is going to be down the road on it rog.
Speaker 6: I'm, i'm.
Speaker 3: We had this conversation with you on Vanka Vanak yesterday and he talked a lot about AI and the AI trade, but he also mentioned some stats about when when web traffic is going from chat GPT two websites, and it got me thinking about how people are increasingly replacing or supplementing what they do on the internet using chat GPT. The news today too that that this potential PayPal tie up where you can pay for stuff within chat GPT also got me thinking, does Golphabet have to be scared about its core business here?
Speaker 4: But you know, but that's been the case for so many years. I mean, there have been people have been talking about this the first day chat GPT was launched, that, oh, what's going to kill Google search business? I mean, so far, I haven't seen those numbers that are out there that are just having a very large financial impact. I'm sure there is some share loss and searchers, but I haven't seen it. So we'll see. You know, how the shapes uf Google has or Alphabet has a lot of interesting assets. I mean, they have semi conductors that are very important, They have a cloud platform, they have a large frontier model. So I think they have all the pieces out there. The question is, you know, whether the market is big enough for a lot of them to exist core coexist at the same time.
Speaker 2: Hey, Anna Rogh, you know, over the summer, Bloomberg put out how open ai said, Elon Musk identified Mark Zuckerberg is one of the people with whom he had communicated about potentially financing a deal to purchase open ai. Does this Microsoft deal put an end to any other big player coming in?
Speaker 6: I mean this is theirs.
Speaker 4: I think so. But again, you know, legal grammifications are such that you don't know how some of the judges will move towards. But this is you know, this is basically open AI saying we have figured out a way to how to go you know, you could say, become nonprofit, become for profit, and eventually some day go public.
Speaker 6: M Yeah, that's going to be interesting, right, I mean, listen what valuation. Well for open right, but.
Speaker 2: For open AI, right, they can kind of stop the money grab for now, right because they just got a massive cash infusion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're also spending at the amount that nobody has seen. I mean, they have a very large contract with open Air, with the Oracle and they you know today with this agreement, they've committed another two hundred and fifty billion dollars of computing capacity with Microsoft. So it's you know, their expense is far exceeding the revenue right now. They are doing these you know, you could say investments so that down the road they can recognize the value of some of these investments. So that's I think where the where the mismatches for a lot of people, And so unless there is some equilibrium, I think it's going to be very tough for them to go public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the money flows around AI in out is like phenomenal. An rag YouTube phenomenal. Thank you, Thank you so much. He is Bloomberg Intelligence Senior technology analyst out there in our Bloomberg New Chicago bureau.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five eas during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: It's a FED Tuesday, Carol. It is a FED Tuesday, which means it's followed by a FED Wednesday.
Speaker 7: That's how it works.
Speaker 6: Two day meetings.
Speaker 3: Let's get too. Let's get into it with Danielle di Martino bo She's CEO and chief strategist at the research and analytics firm QI Research. He's also a former advisor at the Dallas Fed. She's here in our Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. We've spoken to you a couple times in recent months. I want to go back to our conversation with you.
Speaker 7: Back in July.
Speaker 3: I remember it because You were kind of the first person to warn me of weakness in the lane labor market. You talked about the gig workers out there and the people who were driving for Uber for example, or Lyft or doing other gig work, and the way that a lot of them, in your view, were overqualified because they couldn't find work and what they were trained for, what they went to college for. Is the labor market worse now than it was back in July?
Speaker 8: Judging by my lift in Uber drivers, I would have to say yes. The demographics has expanded, and you've especially got a lot of kind of college graduates right now who are looking for gig work because they can't secure work in the broader economy as they thought they would be able to, you know, walk across the stage proud with their diploma, and boom, there's no work. So I mean, right now, the unemployment rate among college graduates is the high suspense since.
Speaker 6: Nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 8: Nineteen eighty eight, it was a supply issue because that was a peak of baby boomers entering the workforce. Now it's the flip side of it. It's a demand issue, and these kids are rightfully, they're very anxious.
Speaker 2: So when You've got Amazon on letting go fourteen thousand jobs, a lot of it corporate, right, We've got UPS and that's part of its cost cutting.
Speaker 3: Matt Zetie Deutsche Bank says, pay no attention to these headline figures because they're small in comparison to the churn that we see each and every month.
Speaker 6: And that five million jobs are still being created. So what is the net.
Speaker 3: New look skeptical.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I mean so.
Speaker 8: We collaborate sometimes with Macro Edge and they're they're an alternative to challenge your grand Christmas.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And with the UPS announcement this morning, and of course that was so much higher than what was expected, right, it was thirty percent of what they had previously announced. So we learned from so many companies after the fact about attrition or layoffs rather than layoffs being announced in any event. At one hundred and thirty one thousand announced layoffs for the month of October thus far, and being in the heat of earning season, when so many companies are like, I'm going to get the stock to pop, I'm going to lay some people off. We're seeing the third highest level of announced layoffs in three excuse me, in two years so that, to me at least, is alarming when you do what Chair Powell suggests you do, if you add the lack of hiring to the firing, because a few years ago there wasn't.
Speaker 6: All of this lack of hiring.
Speaker 8: Now it's very much a pervasive phenomenon in addition to the layoffs coming through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there was the hoarding that was still going on after the pandemic.
Speaker 6: People were freaked out.
Speaker 2: They couldn't find workers, right, absolute pandemic post pandemic, and so they're like, let me hold on to it.
Speaker 6: I mean, UPS is ap eight percent, and they're you know, UPS is flawed.
Speaker 8: I mean, but I mean, but look at the one year chart.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a good point of UPS. And that required forty eight thousand layoffs.
Speaker 8: In addition to the thirty four thousand they announced there was another fourteen thousand in their corporate office. Amazon today said that's fourteen, but that's fourteen of thirty and we know that.
Speaker 2: Stocks down thirty percent in the past year. WEPS, Yeah, UPS, Oh yes, absolutely well, So then got quite the all right, one word, how do you describe the economy?
Speaker 6: One word weak? So does the FED obviously needs to cut.
Speaker 8: In your view, I don't think the FED has any Yes, the FED absolutely has to cut. I think that they begin to discuss given the magnitude of the layoffs that are rolling in and the lack of hiring that Chair Powell said could in and of itself increase the unemployment rate. I think that right now what they're discussing is twenty five or fifty in December.
Speaker 6: So can I just throw at you?
Speaker 2: Like Tim and I have had lots of conversations about earnings, right, Earnings growth is there, Revenue growth is there.
Speaker 6: So companies are doing well.
Speaker 2: That's the analysis that has come our way. And it's not just big tech, although we'll see what big tech has right this week because we get a big read, but it's been broader based.
Speaker 6: I would say that Earth you not agree with that?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, I would say that earnings are doing better than revenues. And so in one survey after another, whether it's a CEO survey, a CFO survey, a regional FED.
Speaker 6: Surveys, revenue growth, it's I think coming in better. That's again, there's revenue growth. But remember these are all.
Speaker 8: Based on lowered bars that are easier to get over. I mean, if it's if you want to look at the entire revenue picture, I think it's important to bring in the bcy go function and look at the bankruptcies that are coming in on top of this. And that is you know, S and P has been tracking monthly bankruptcies uh forever and last month September came into the highest number in the post pandemic era of bankruptcies. And we're seeing what I mean, bcygos hoppin'. Whoever whatever's in charge of that is busy.
Speaker 3: So is is you know, we talk a lot about the K shaped economy when it comes to consumers, but is it is it? Is it a K shaped market where you know the and we know this about the S and P five hundred companies that they are, you know, the mag seven have just carried this index for years. But are you seriously concerned about pretty much the other company all the other companies?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, if you're asking me if I'm seriously concerned about the other ninety percent of Americans who are outside of the top ten percent who represent fifty percent of spending.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes I am.
Speaker 8: And I think we're seeing that in freight.
Speaker 3: But we're seeing it in freight, and we're seeing it in some companies, but we're not seeing it. I mean, we're at record a new record for.
Speaker 6: Not seeing it in asset prices. Why are we not buying it an assets prices?
Speaker 8: Well, there's something very automated about this market, and this market will continue to feed on itself because that is that is the structure of passive investing.
Speaker 9: Structure.
Speaker 8: Passive investing forces stock prices up because you have to buy the biggest market cap look at Nvidia today. But that's that is a function not of necessarily enthusiasm about in Nvidia the stock on a fundamental level, the way we used to think of portfolio management one oh one. But it is a function of passive investing flows.
Speaker 6: So what do you tell investors? Do you just tell them get ready?
Speaker 8: According to Bloomberg, the cost of hedging against a decline in the markets is very expensive right now. So we know that, we know that portfolio managers are very nervous about what's happening.
Speaker 6: But no, I actually watch.
Speaker 8: The FED the most closely because you've got all of this money, trillions and trillions, and I think twelve thirteen trillion dollars in cash cast equivalents, money market friends, et cetera. That's you know, that's predominantly owned by people who are seventy and older.
Speaker 6: So as long as the.
Speaker 8: FED does not cut too much, I think we're okay. But if the FED starts to cut into what retirees consider to be the corpus of their monthly income, because they have really enjoyed the FED being higher for longer, they've collected every single fifty basis point cut by the FED, you take seventy one billion dollars of cash out of the hands of retirees. We don't want for people who own forty percent of the stock market, ie the seventy year olds to even think about selling, because that unleash is passive.
Speaker 6: Okay, got to leave it there. Hey, thanks, good to see you.
Speaker 2: Danielle Di Martino Booth CEO, Chief strategist at the Research and Analytics for QI Research.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget we have a big storm. We know Hurricane Melissa has made landfall in Jamaica. Strong, strong wind and so it's something we're talking about a Category five storm.
Speaker 6: This is a very serious storm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Melissa Crosston to Jamaica, with sustained winds of one hundred and eighty five miles per hour, making it a rare Category five hurricane at landfall. It's struck near your New Hope on Jamaica's southern coast, is about twenty five miles south of Montego Bay. The US National Hurricane Center set in a statement at one pm in New York Times. Since then, it's strongest winds have weakened to one hundred and sixty miles per hour, still at the top of the five step scale. We got a great voice with us. I want to bring in Eric Roston. He's Bloomberg News Climbate reporter. He joins us from New Jersey. Eric, it's too early to be talking about the actual cleanup effort. We don't even know that devastation that this current storm will rot and also what happens later on in hurricane season. But you've talked a lot, and you've written and reported a lot about the big business of disaster recovery. Let's talk numbers here, because you looked at those numbers in Asheville, North Carolina, for example. Just how much does it cost to clean up after one of these natural disasters.
Speaker 5: Just to take readers back a second to a year ago. In at the end of September twenty twenty four, Hurricane Helene. Technically it was a tropical storm by then, but didn't matter. Instead of going out to the Atlantic, took a left of the Appalachians and brought us just about the worst Appalachian hurricane you've ever seen. That's not a phrase we're used to hearing before. In December, after there was an accounting, North Carolina came out with a report saying that it caused sixty billion dollars in damage, concentrated in the western part of the state, which includes Ashville. Wow, the cleanup effort has largely been completed. When it comes to the immediate aftermath of removing debris, there was three and a half million cubic yards of debris removed from Buncombe County alone. That's the county where Asheville, the city of Ashville is located. And what you miss from the numbers is, and I spent time down there in May, is just the incredible vitality of this community and the incredible pride of western North Carolinians. Of course, other states were hit as well, in trying to claw back the worst hurricane that part of the state I'd ever seen.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to say, Eric, that doesn't surprise me my husband as a family member who is living in that area, and just first of all the neighborhoods coming out to help one another with generators and so on and so forth. But then you know, everybody kind of had to leave because there was no infrastructure left really you know, to be there day by day. But as you say, it's impressive, like the comeback or what people want to do to bring everything back.
Speaker 6: It's interesting in a day.
Speaker 2: Where we're talking a lot about the US economy, we're waiting for a FED decision, we have a government shutdown, we don't get a lot of government data. We're trying to figure out what is the economy going forward, what will be the strains on the economy. Maybe AI will mean less job creation here. Unfortunately, these extreme weather disasters, you know, communities do often want to build back, right, and that creates It comes at a cost, but it also creates economic activity.
Speaker 5: It does. There's an economists always for decades have been fighting about the relationship between disasters and growth, with different high ranking folks coming out on either side. What's interesting. So I went to Asheville in May, which was eight months after the storm. There were shoots of renaissance in business districts coming back. And the story that we ran last week is a profile of this very quiet, but very very large segment of the US economy that is increasingly being called on to rebuild after disasters and to help places prepare for the next one. And another leg of this conversation for the last generation really has been governed and spending, Whereas until maybe till twenty sixteen or seventeen, the US government was picking up the bill for maybe a third of recovery costs in disaster stricken areas. That number has been falling dramatically since then. It's probably down under two percent. And so there's a lot of questioning now and a lot of concern about where is the money going to come from. If the government is stepping back to pay for the services that we need before, during, and after disasters, well, there's all the disasters are going to keep on coming.
Speaker 3: There's also the question eric of how this changes the economic landscape in these areas from a housing perspective. I mean, we've had reports coming from places such as Malibu that insurance costs have become so burdensome that you see homes for sale for a tiny fraction of what they would cost if they were ensurable. One of our guests a few months ago just shocked me by noting that you could get like an actual house in Malibu for like just over one million dollars, which is a shockingly small number. We're seeing this effect the real estate market in Florida as well. Is the free market solving this a little bit?
Speaker 5: We're the free market like the whole system. If you talk to economists who look at systemic risks, we're a little bit protected from these disasters just by the nature of how they hit like big don't fortunately or they fortunately haven't yet like hit everywhere at once, And so the places that are undergoing this kind of level of suffering that you know, I can only imagine what's happening in Jamaica right now. There's got to be something that hits everywhere at once right for the systemic focused economists to really raise alarm bells, and they've started to exactly because of the dynamic you described, which is we have a system of federally backed mortgages that hinges on potential homeowners being able to get insurance policies at a time when disasters are becoming more intense, more frequent, and more expensive. So the systemic concern to the extent there is one, and this has been mentioned at very high levels. The head of the FED earlier this year expressed some concern about it in you know, in the in the decade or so ahead, right, that is something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: I think what's fascinating too.
Speaker 2: There's a lot in this story, but you know, you also cite John Stevenson, who's a senior analyst at our Bloomberg Intelligence dem of created an index, the Prepare and Repair Index, and it's about one hundred large public companies that will be evolved in these extreme weather situations cleaning up.
Speaker 6: It reminds me of one of my first jobs in broadcast.
Speaker 2: Business journalism, and it was a mutual fun show and when there was an earthquake, we would put on fund managers or CEOs of cement companies because it was just a logical investment plate feels a little cold, but it was kind of the reality of our world. Incredible story, highly recommend folks check it out on the Bloomberg at Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 6: Eric, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Eric Roston, Bloomberg News Climate Reporter, Joining us out there in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: During that, listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app Watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: We got to talk about everything, or at least I'm not going to make it everything because that would be exhaustive. That would just be impossible. But we got to talk about a lot when it comes to everything happening with nuclear energy. Shares a Canadian uranium producer, Chemico, rose as much as twenty seven percent to a record high today. This after the US government signed a packed with Westinghouse Electric, chemic COO, and Brookfield that will see at least eighty billion dollars of new nuclear reactors constructed in the US to accelerate nuclear power in AI deployment and breaking. Late yesterday, next Air Energy planning to restart a nuclear power plan in Iowa, primarily to supply Google data centers. We got Will Wade with us. He's Bloomberg News energy reporter. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. Did the US make a mistake Will in shutting down nuclear reactors over the last few years.
Speaker 9: Oh, that's a tough question. When they made those decisions to shut down reactors, and I used to keep a spreadsheet on my desk. I call it the dead Nukes file of the dozen or so reactors that were shut down in the past a little more in a decade. It was the right decision. Then they were expensive to operate. Nobody wanted to pay that.
Speaker 7: Much for power. But the world has really changed around us.
Speaker 3: And I think at Indian Point, close to New York City, that one was didn't it outlive It's like life cycle. It was sort of at the end of its life.
Speaker 7: Oh no, it was closed ahead of time.
Speaker 3: It was closed ahead of time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was a big political campaign. There were people that were really worried about having a nuclear power plant so close to the biggest city in America. I mean, that's a legitimate concern. But we closed that plant and immediately people started saying, wait, New York State carbon emissions are going to go up this year because we replaced all the nuclear with natural gas, like who would have thought.
Speaker 2: So it does feel like we mentioned the US signing an eighty billion dollar pack to boost nuclear power in that AI push, Google buying power from next era nuclear power plant being revived. So the spend is on, the deals are on. Is the bild on though, to really build out maybe the nuclear capacity that's needed.
Speaker 9: Oh, building nuclear No, nobody's doing that.
Speaker 3: But the money's there, the commitments are there, the mothballing is being undone.
Speaker 9: Okay, So here's what we're seeing. There is an enormous amount of interest in nuclear energy right now. I've been seeing it for eighteen twenty four months. This is because electricity demand is going to go through the roof. That's largely for data centers and AI. It's not just that. It's for a lot of things, but that's the big part of it. We need new electricity, we need a lot of it. We did not see this coming. We were not building new nuclear plants. At the same time, we would love our electricity to be clean. So that really makes nuclear the best option because it's available around the clock.
Speaker 7: Unlike wind and solar right.
Speaker 3: How quickly can nuclear power plants be built outside of the United States? In China, Korea, Japan.
Speaker 7: Oh, China's really good at building them. They've been.
Speaker 9: They've been doing a NonStop they got I think they're soon going to surpass the US in terms of the number of reactors they've got going. So yeah, they're faster at it than us. The Koreas are really good at it. I was in Korea this year. Their nuclear industries they've been going NonStop for fifty something years. Our industry pretty much ground to a holt around nineteen seventy nine with through My Island, so we spent years doing nothing and we never really recovered from that.
Speaker 7: We're working on it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to keep Will Wade with us Bloomer News Energy Report. Someone else who's working on it too to build out nuclear capacity is James Walker.
Speaker 6: He's CEO of Nano Nuclear Energy.
Speaker 2: It's a two point three billion dollar market cap nuclear energy company that is working on SMR small modular reactors.
Speaker 6: Shares are up.
Speaker 2: Nearly ninety percent so far this year. Big chunk, though, of the float is short. James joining us from Vancouver. James come on in on this conversation. I mean, we'll list how long before we actually you actually.
Speaker 6: Get an SMR built and it's up and running.
Speaker 10: It's a good question because it gets asked, as you can imagine, more than any other question. And there's kind of two answers to it too, because to get a reactor built and constructed and licensed is one question, But the other question is how long is it going to take for the fuel supply chain to be built back adequately in the country to be able to mass manufacture the fuel to allow the mass manufacture of reactors. So on one side, our company is already going ahead with the construction project two construction projects to build reactor systems, and we're talking to data centers and all of those sort of groups as well. But on the other side, like you know, we even our company, we need to get involved in that fuel supply chain and build it back because, as well was saying just before this sort of after Three Mile Island, the investment into the country sort of broke down a lot. We need that investment to go back into rebuilding that fuel supply chain so companies like ours can mass manufacture the reactor systems.
Speaker 3: But James on Carol's question about a timeline here, what would be a realistic timeline for completion of your first modular nuclear reactor.
Speaker 10: So we're doing a drill program right now, as it's already started on the site. So we'll have the geotechnical data to submit for a construction permit that'll go in early next year, and our see will turn that around in twenty twenty six. So construction twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, twenty twenty nine, and then fully licensed reactor operating commercial license twenty thirty is very reasonable timeline. So I would say early twenty thirties. Then you're going to see the mass rollout of reactor systems, so dozens on an annual basis.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that timeline fits with what I hear from a lot of companies early twenty thirties for a significant wave of new power plants. But I guess the issue is that we have all these people who want power yesterday.
Speaker 7: How do we meet their needs?
Speaker 10: Look, there's a it's actually a very reasonable question. Like as a company, we you know, we want to be conservative and truthful with everybody because you know, we've got to earn long term trust here. There are good interim solutions, Like I know, companies have been exploring things like gas, and to be honest, if they can get hold of that in the interim, great, But even things like gas contracts, they're all tied up for seven eight years. Turbines around gas are tied up for seven eight years too, So there's no easy solution here. Even bringing in as you mentioned, like wind and solar or anything like that, these are it's aminten technologies which require huge battery storage technology to run alongside them. A lot of the time it's just not feasible. They're also very locationally dependent, so you be limited on where you can even deploy these things. I mean, unfortunately, there's no there's no great solution, which is why when the show started they were talking about opening up these old power stations and recommissioning old nuclear power plants because those are the some of them are the interim solutions. It won't be enough power, but it'll be some.
Speaker 9: Yeah, those restart projects, that's low hanging fruit. Do you think there are other plants that we can restart or is it just the ones we've already seen? Are we exhausted that list?
Speaker 10: So it's a good question, Like there's a number have been shut down, and like it's it's arguable that you mentioned Indian Point as an example. I know it wasn't politically popular and maybe there was some of that related to the decisions around that kind of plant that could be an act, that could be a route, even the old three Mile Island plant. Since we're bringing that up as I think it's see the Microsoft or Constellation, we're involved in recommissioning that and trying to get that back up and running.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Constellation says that'll be ready by twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 10: There we go. So, like you know, I think, as you say, like there's going to be big projected powering demand increases in the country, they might not get solved until we get to those twenty thirties, and that the proper there is that that could mean a stagnation in the tech industry. They'll find every means they can to get power. But like that big online colocation green technology that provides baseload power that can only really come from nuclear and a lot of these reactor systems. Despite any really outlandish claims about deploying neotom it's it's going to be early twenty thirties, twenty thirty and onwards.
Speaker 2: All right, so the demand story is compelling that the obstacles are just as a parent. Those aren't my words, those are Well Wade words who reports on this sector, as you well know. I mean, help me out here though, because I'm just wondering.
Speaker 6: You know, if I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: A stock that is up eighty percent year to date, you know, you guys don't have any revenues, right, I mean, like our investors, Yeah, this is what we do.
Speaker 6: Like are they probably getting ahead of themselves?
Speaker 2: Thirty percent of your float is short, so investors are just kind of waiting for something maybe negative to hit because negative the sentiment. I mean realistically, you're talking at least five years right before you're showing significant revenue or earnings or anything along those lines.
Speaker 10: No, like our early US and our company will come online a long time before that. I mean, because there's this massive build back. The opportunity at the moment in the nuclear space is huge. It can come through the fuel supply chain or transportation or isotopes. Like the nice part is that we're part of this build back effort. So and look, the stock market is always about an investment in the future. I mean, the nice part is that the demand is there in a way that's unprecedented. Like buying now really is an investment in the future, and a future that's inevitable. The tech industry is not going to just give up and pack up and go away.
Speaker 6: But what if what if.
Speaker 2: The what if the AI spend and build that is I know, everybody comes out and says no bubble or a lot of people do what if there is, though, an overspend?
Speaker 6: Where does that catch you guys? Potentially?
Speaker 10: I think the bubble has only been discussed around AI. But like in terms of data centers, those are things that cannot be bubbles. That is, power that's needed for our whole tech industry, like a data center cannot be a bubble. Like if you need increased power for computing power, it has to come from somewhere AI. Whether that's going to bear out the fruits of what's been promised that remains to be seen. But currently it's just expanding. But it's it's it's kind of irrelevant to the long term power requirements because the electrification of the country, the reindustrialization of the country, that's all going ahead. And you mentioned stocks like cars and the short interest.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 10: If people want to short us, that's better because we've We've gone higher and higher as a stock just because every time the shorts have been squeezed. The more shorts, the better for us because they always.
Speaker 3: Only only ten seconds left. But would you say that you are most further along than any other company, the most along than any other company in terms of microreactors?
Speaker 5: Yees.
Speaker 10: I believe we'll have the first US constry tructed full scale commercial commercially license my corrector in the.
Speaker 2: Country where you can put an SMR in my backyard because my monthly electrical bills are crazy.
Speaker 6: You're shutting off.
Speaker 7: Lights, Carol, you're glowing today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm glowing.
Speaker 2: Will Wade of Bloomberg News and James Walker, CEO of Nano Nuclear Energy, Guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Great discussion.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal