Speaker 1: Request Left Show is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: What's going On?
Speaker 3: This is cousin Jake from the Quest Love Show back with our very own open Mic Eagle, the two affiliates of the.
Speaker 2: Pod Mike, how is uh? How's your weekend?
Speaker 4: Man? It's weird. I'm about to go on tour, so everything seems like not enough time. But also I think I've done everything I gotta do already, like everything is out just needs to be packed. But I still feel the anxiety of needing to do things that I actually don't need to do.
Speaker 2: You're going to Europe Western Europe.
Speaker 4: Well, I go to the Northeast first. So I have a week where I'm doing Brooklyn, Montreal, Toronto, Lansing, Michigan in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Then I come home for a week and then there's the European run.
Speaker 2: Ah got you got you?
Speaker 3: When this runs, those dates will be active. Is there anything you're especially looking forward to?
Speaker 4: Well, we sold out Toronto, so I'm really happy about that. I haven't I've realized I haven't been to Montreal or Toronto as a headliner before. I've been to both places and performed before, but it's my first time headliner. So I'm excited Toronto sold out and excited to see my Canadian homies.
Speaker 2: That is dope.
Speaker 3: I know you're in Philly several times a year. I would be saying what's up to you in person? If not this trip, but I'll catch you on the next That's what's up? Yeah, man, So one thing you and I have in common, and obviously we're here to talk about the Quest Love show, which you know, please make sure you are following, liking, subscribing, all of those things, telling.
Speaker 4: The engagement thing, the important engagement things everything.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean we've been doing these many episodes for the last almost six months, and I am so happy that not only have you gone from guests, which is still an ongoing conversation to you know, being one of the voices in the mix, and you and I and you and a Mir and Amir and I we have these different configurations of just trying to you know, unpack and you know, we had a really special episode that I think is near and dear to both you and I with past news. Yes, and I just want to begin right there, like, you know, talk to me about what daylas soul and maybe what pass means to you.
Speaker 4: I mean that in itself. That's the question that I could spend quite a long time answering. I am fruit from the Native Tongues tree, Like that was one of the things I always in the back of my head aspired to be one day is in Native Tongues because of what they're not only just their music, but their visual iconography and the way they dressed and the way they all seem to get along and the way they seem to not feel the need to to take on a hardcore identity that it has always been popular in hip hop, which seemed especially important at that time, Like it really seemed to be a big deal to have people who were going out of their way to not be that. And for me, whereas like I've always grown up in inner city environments during the eighties and the nineties when things were very dangerous outside, I didn't always want that in my rap music because I was just living in that. And so I was always so inspired by people who felt like they were bringing in a different perspective or trying to find something other than, you know, the world outside their window. So day La Soul Tribe, Jungle Brothers, Black Sheep, leaders of the New School Queen Latia, Fomony Love, all of that stuff. That entire movement has just been incredibly important to me, and it's been my north start my whole career.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, and you I really on your episode, you know, in late twenty twenty five you talked about that. I think that was even you know, kind of the quote unquote pold quote animation about you know, you wanting something different than what was outside of your window or your environment. You know, it's funny. I've gone back and forth in my life. I've never I've never been an artists in a musical sense, but Dayla Soul in particular all the native tongues. Yes, but Dayla has always been.
Speaker 2: You know, my favorite.
Speaker 3: And I've seen the three of them in a number of different places and spaces, and you know, have gotten to work with them in limited capacity. I did a bio for them in twenty nineteen when they were originally going to do the relaunch with Tommy Boy, and I didn't know what I was stepping into with that job. Yeah, that's a conversation for another day. But these guys mean everything to me, probably overlapping with you just in terms of you know, I feel like people act like hip hop started getting vulnerable in the last you know, fifteen years.
Speaker 2: And to me, you know.
Speaker 3: Even that line of you know, fbing hard posted news is complicated. Yes, love that I Miib is one of my favorite versus period, favorite songs period, And so to have an audience, and I got to sit in when Amir had the conversation with Pass and you know, a few folks have asked too, and I know the backstory. I've only been part of the QLs orbit since twenty twenty two, but there is a Day Last Soul interview that was taped somewhere between albums Not Long After and the Anonymous Nobody, And you know, there's one or two QLs interviews that Heaven run.
Speaker 2: There's some that it was like a paperwork thing. This one.
Speaker 3: Everyone on the team is looking for the tape and the questlov Supreme kind of finale reunion episode. There's some allusions to it, but my hope is that it turns up somewhere.
Speaker 4: I don't even know there was a lost tape. Yeah, that's kind of fascinating. I had no idea about that.
Speaker 3: There is, and I hear it was really good, but it was in the early Days of QLs audio only taped in I believe Amir's the roots dressing room of thirty Rock in a cramp space, and I believe Maco, Dave and Poss were all there, And yeah, I I hope it comes up, but there was no motive from my understanding as far as why Maco wasn't here. Instead, I think that episode will have its own moment. It hasn't happened yet, but it will. I think Amir really wanted to isolate Pause. I mean, they are great friends. And also, I'll say this for me, I don't like the top five question, but if if somebody finds out my passion or what I do for a living, if you ask me a top five post, news is squarely in it every single time. And I think Amir really wanted to put a light specifically on him.
Speaker 4: And I think that was really important to do too, because as you sort of allude to when you talk about you having worked with them, and then there's the sense that the story was more complicated then you might have imagined going in. From my understanding of Day Last Soul's journey, there's a lot this gone on underneath the surface, a lot that's gone on behind the scenes that is a little more complicated than people might expect. The dynamics are not always pretty, and I think like we've seen tips of that iceberg over the years. Even in a song like I Am ib we can hear oh things inside native tongues. Like for us on the consumer side, it looks rosy and we think everything still all good because you know, we see one of them in a video here and another one is doing a cameo there. But the actual human beings involved in this have had some tension, and I think that over the years day La Soul because they've started out being so against the grain in terms of hardcore, and they had to fight being looked at as almost overly positive on Daylight Soul is dead. But there's always been this inclination for US fans to think that everything is rosy over there, you know, because we don't hear about scandal. We don't hear about a lot of public scuffles or them being involved in anything violent, you know, like you hear about other rappers. I think we assume that everything is all good and rosie, but when you scratch the surface, I think there's a lot of story to tell and That's one of the things that was interested in this episode was just to hear you can hear the years when you listen to pause talk about these things starting a journey from where they started in hip hop and what eighty eight to twenty twenty six, and to still be vibrant and active and having weathered so many storms. It's really an incredible story. It's unique, like who else that started in eighty eight has that type of catalog and still current output with no you know, no ten to fifteen year gap.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not even I mean, other than the tragedy of losing course, Dave, I don't really think I mean even their liberation you know from Tommy Boy, and you know, their pursuit of owning their own music. You know, amazing story. I don't think there's a blemish. You know, I've never you know, you speak of, you know, addressing each other. And I love that they've always been able to do that, whether it's the Native Tongues or day Lah without drastic consequences, Like it's a group that feels to me like life and so yeah, I mean, there's so much in this two hour interview, and it was really cool just to be a fly on the wall and pass.
Speaker 2: Was so generous, you know.
Speaker 3: I will say, even in the biocapacity, I've interviewed the guys over the years, but I've never felt like I've had a great dayla interview. And I've never looked at that as certainly not their fault, and I never really looked at it as my own. I think what I see is the trusted peerhood of AMR and Posse and why that allows just such an open discussion because you know, it comes from a place of love and trust.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's what I was getting at earlier, and I think a better way for me to say it is that or another aspect of it is that they have been like a closed system, you know, the three of them like, and I've heard it described as impenetrable for some people trying to work with them on different things. It's not always easy. And I do think that what you keep in on there in terms of trust is really important because to be on that unique of a journey and to have seen the things they've seen, I bet they've been burned, you know. I bet they've been burned before. I bet you know, people have wanted to exploit them. People have wanted to manipulate them, and you know, I'll say one of the things that I thought was, like, it's like an interesting through line through the conversation was how many times pods would explain something as being done out of spite, but in.
Speaker 2: A way that we would have never know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like the oodles thing going directly at run DMC or uh yeah, well no, no, no, it's the it was the after connections at the High five because of yeah, oodles of O's.
Speaker 2: And you heard any of that story before?
Speaker 4: No, I'd never heard me, neither me neither heard that.
Speaker 3: And I love I mean, it's just such a fun moment of delight where a mire goes, you know, are you if I ask real nice like will you tell that story here? And Boss was like yeah, He's like are you sure? And Poss was like yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he tells it and it's funny too.
Speaker 3: I mean, the beautiful thing is is like Poss understates not only you know was DMC and Jim Aster j like fans and they kind of laugh at where Revron was at that point in time. But it's it's clearly a full circle of respect and all the things. I didn't know that either, and there's allusions to it online I found in my research, but never told as completely. So just you and I both being fans. My first question to you is is there a world where you can imagine run DMC on the noodles of ospete?
Speaker 4: I did try to think of that when it was said, and I can kind of hear it. But it also makes me think about where you know, run DMC was around that time, and this is what like ninety one is this is like down with the King era like around then. Yeah, so they were trying to, you know, get on different sounds, like jump on stuff that was more modern, like them wrapping over Pete Rock, like like, oh, this is interesting. I'm not sure if it fits perfect, but it seems interesting. So I think I could hear I could hear DMC on it a little more comfortably in my mind, but maybe that was the issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, It's one of those questions.
Speaker 3: And again it's a beautiful thing of Amir's curiosity because I would never think to ask them who they were talking about. Hey, that's a brazen question for a journal to ask, Like you better be you know, I think there's a lot of armchair folks that just come out the gate with these heavy asks. But my infinite respect for these guys. I would feel some type of way asking them, like, who were you getting at in that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: The interesting thing to me is as a listener, I don't know that I ever thought that they were talking about anybody in particular, because this whole album was them sort of going at groups of people, you know, mostly people who whose perception of them was wrong. I didn't know that they had a particular act in mind when they were saying it, And honestly, that never crossed my mind that it might have been somebody in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's funny for me, like my genesis into hip hop was you know, in ninety five, ninety four, ninety five, But like at one hand I was listening to Tribe, On another I was listening to Tupac. So part of me and I was very much in my early adolescence at that point, was getting you know, used to controversy and to you know, things meaning you know, everything has a target and you learn nuanced later and then over time you realize like I don't really you know, like I don't need to know, but it was funny to listen to all that, indeed, and a lot of people really gravitated onto that. I know that became the animation Amir called that in episode like this is this is what I want to go with, and let's let's bleep the names and get folks in the door. What else to you just as a fan of your magnitude stuck to you in this episode?
Speaker 4: Okay, so my fan hood is obviously a component here. I think that my previous interviews of Prince Paul and Dante Ross also give me an interesting perspective into things too, like when pas Is talked talking about the Turtles lawsuit, like I talked to Dante Ross and found out that what paus was describing was the frustration not only of having been in the lawsuit, but feeling like, oh, we told Tommy Boy what was what these samples were, and they didn't clear them, and now we're getting sued and Tommy Boy is trying to settle the lawsuit out of our money, like and I can feel that frustration, And I remember Dante Ross telling me that yes, they did tell them all of the samples. But what Dante Ross and Tom Silverman, I think thought was that they only needed to clear samples in the songs. Ok, they didn't think they needed to clear the samples in the interludes. And that's that was the gap where the whole thing fell through.
Speaker 3: That was interesting too, and I appreciated that a mirror pointed to the two kind of landmark lawsuits as I understand as a student. You know Bismarcky and Gilbert O'Sullivan and then you know Daylight Soul in the Turtles, and it was it was funny to imagine, and posted really quality voices of the legal team, you know, and explaining it that there was at one point like, hey, you know, maybe we can do something together and settle this. And I like Pass's point, and again it speaks to that that humanity of them of also just like we all go through things, we all have opportunities to be chippy or petty or whatever the word is. But they were like, if that was what it was about, that's not how you would have approached it to begin with. And honestly, to imagine a world where there's a Dayla remix of Flowing Eddie or Turtles.
Speaker 4: I dig it, man, because I'm you know, I messed with flowing Eddie on the Frank Zappa stuff too, Like I'm like, yo, that would have been kind of crazy. That would have been kind of crazy to marry those two sounds. To see what happened is funny. It reminds me like the Judgment Night Sounds track, like interesting, you know, but even an even probably more musically interesting thing than what ended up happened in his part of that soundtrack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I something that stood out to me, and it was just a few seconds of the conversation, but like, you know, in a different way than Fife and Q Tip, or a different way than Big Boy and Andre three thousand, you know, Dave and Poss have always seemed to me, and maybe because I fell in love with Daylas Soul again when I was you know, twelve or thirteen, but a unified front. I mean, they had very distinct voices, but they always seemed in my mind to share the same thesis on each song in a beautiful way, really harmonious way. And I loved in two places where Pass really broke down the contrast. I mean, he said, you know, the entire stakes is high recording. You know that Dave was really into focus on the industry Yeah, in a way that poss is inspired and focused on life, and you know, realizing they're both you know, family men, they're both you know, going through all of that, I just thought that, like that that compelled me to want to replay the album and just see what that information does to me and listening again.
Speaker 4: Right, running it back and seeing it through that perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I really also appreciated, you know, he spoke about in focus.
Speaker 2: And Dave being at I don't.
Speaker 3: It's not fair for me, but like I'm paraphrasing, but just at a kind of maybe a checked out place, you know, not feeling the way things were going.
Speaker 4: Because he was mentioning a lot of interviews that they have done over the past few years when Dave was still with us, what they were talking about that era, and I keep wanted to call him rse now because he kept be friends to himself. Yeah, he was talking about hearing Dave talk about that time and it being even revealing to him him not necessarily knowing how checked out Dave was. But I read those interviews too, and those interviews were like heartbreaking for me because Balloon Mind State is such an important album to me. It was like really tough for me to hear that Dave doesn't like that album or his idea of what the legacy of that album is. The reason I love it is because it's so far away from what everybody else was doing. But that's like the same thing he doesn't like about it because he feels like at that point them as Daylight Soul was too far away from what everything else was doing in hip hop, you know. So that was a tough thing for me to wrap my head around when he was doing those interviews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's interesting, I mean during the pandemic when you spoke with Prince Paul on what had happened was talking I love that album too, and if you I go back and forth personally between Daylight Soul Is Dead and Blue Mind State.
Speaker 4: Same here.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting to hear Paul's perspective too, because that came at a time when they pass were diverging, and Paul spoke about that in a way on your podcast that was super just like I remember where I was when I was listening to that episode, and I was like, that's and then to realize that all of these guys were going through different things while each and the same orbit. It just it comes back to beautiful art. It makes me want to play it again and consider what we know now when we're still learning. Yeah, was there any moment in the Questlam show conversation that made you throw on a song, hit pause and focus?
Speaker 4: Okay, but on in Focus in the middle of that and the middle of them talking about in Focus. I put it on because I was like, there's a bunch of songs on Blue Mindset that I know that album front to back. I don't always know the names of all the songs, so I was like, wait a minute, what is in Focus? And what is this sort of attitude that they're describing that's in that song. And as soon as it became an R remember and I'm like, this is the one where I remember PAS talking about people acting like they don't know Dayla soul anymore because Black Sheep is hot now. And I remember viscerally taking that in when I was listening to it when I was young, and I just I loved even I just love the sort of MC that would put that in the song. Yeah, Like I love that because it's not a course, it's not a disc to the person he's in a crew with it's sort of this. It is really accessing a vulnerable feeling about what it means to be at a certain place in the industry and sort of watch things come and go, and you know, at that point you don't know if dey La Soul is ever going to be back on top of the mountain. You might it could be black Sheep now forever, right, So I always just thought it was so cool that he spoke on that feeling and put it in that song. I think in the conversation I sort of realized, oh, like that sort of frustration is in the entire song in ways that I wasn't really keyed into before.
Speaker 2: That's dope.
Speaker 3: I had a similar experience, And yeah, I mean it dovetails of what you're saying, but a mere asked, you know, in regard to you know, the nowadays we don't even speak lyric And it was interesting to hear Paus and I've heard this in other interviews where you know, they would play those.
Speaker 2: Songs for each other.
Speaker 4: That was so surprising to me.
Speaker 3: I think that so often now when people when MC's or when artists say provocative things about peers, we imagine this like throwing pebbles at the window to try to get attention and what is so unique to native tongues and you know, I know Outcast has done this too, when other people was like no, it's like I'm going to address what's on my mind and I'm going to have the dignity to show you what I have to say, and then we're gonna let We're gonna draw the curtain back and show the world. And to me, that's just what makes that's why, you know, Lord Willing, I'll be eighty five years old to listen to Blue Mind State in the Rocking Chair.
Speaker 4: You know, it's that kind of album like I remember I listened first listened to when I was thirteen, and I'll never forget like when I first heard that album. It's one of those ones you can always come back to it. It's timeless.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that album before you heard the two before it?
Speaker 4: Or no? I think I heard them all. Okay, I definitely had heard Three Feet High and Rise of First, but not in a way where I was like conscious of it really at all. I would say around the time I got my hands on Ballue Mind State, that is like the beginning of my peak hip hop love so all that ninety three stuff, so Ballue Mind State, Midnight Marauders, even like JB's with the remedy. Like, I was just really big on all the ninety three stuff, and so I think I heard the ninety three stuff and the ninety one stuff around the same time. But the sound quality, these lush soundscapes and all of the ninety three stuff, I feel like so much of that is Bob Power too. That was really where I sort of settled in and rooted it, like this is my favorite stuff ever, but I can't remember the order in which I heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just you know, another thing that stuff to me is the Bob Power part of the discussion of you know, plug one wonder why And like I've I stood next to Bob Power one time at one of Amer's birthdays, and I didn't It was one of those things where it's just like other people were talking to him and having a high level conversation and I wanted to let them be. You know, it's like Dan Charnas and Bob Powers different folks.
Speaker 4: That's the hell of a conversation exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know, I didn't want to just see my way into that. And of course these given what's transpired, I wish, you know, I had listened a little more closely, but I thought it was a really human thing for past to share of just what Bob brought to the group and to his life and the type of human being that he was.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know what a huge loss.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And I encourage everyone to listen to the episode. I know we're like talking about the movie if you haven't listen, and that's what this is about. But I'll why don't we close the episode? And I know these sorts of questions changed with the day, So I'm going to ask you open Mike Eagle today, what is your favorite daylast soul song or if you like, if you prefer, what's your favorite past news verse?
Speaker 4: Man, it's you know, given having sat with that interview and just where I sit right now with my own music, that's like about my life, I can't help but think about I am I b I just like that that. You know what I'm really happy about too, that that is one of Patz's favorite songs. That's what I'm happy about me too.
Speaker 3: I love that And you made my answer easier because that's that's arguably at times my favorite just song.
Speaker 2: In the Cannon period.
Speaker 3: But I'll say Trying People because I know a lot of our discussion and a lot of a mirrors discussion focused on.
Speaker 4: The earlier stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nineties day Last.
Speaker 3: Soul, and you know, I love AOI, I love grinding, I love it all, you know. I mean to me, it's a group that got on base every time they got up to the plate. To use a shitty sports analogy, but Trying People, you know, I think of that lyric from Dave where is just as I cry a lot like to me, you get to two thousand and nine and a lot of people act like, you know what, what certain individuals were adding to hip hop was new and raw and crazy, and it's not. I mean, you can go even back to the eighties of vulnerability and things like that. But I think of all of the bold things that you can say on a record, and Trying People is a perfect having a complicated season of life for a weird day hip hop song.
Speaker 4: Am I remembering correctly that on that song? Because I know it's a song. I don't know if it's that song where Pat says I got fans all over the world, but my girls not one of them. That Yeah, I don't know if that's on that, but that line always yeah, Like that's the that to me, Like that's the definition of like indie hip hop, like underground hip hop, like where you can have that sort of fandom, but sometimes that people that are closest to you just aren't into it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's it's not necessarily for your friends and family. It's for people who are into this particular thing, which is not everybody, right, And so like that was just one of them little statements like, oh I feel that so deeply.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's a great lyric and also I mean it came out of the interview. I always knew that for all of the great you know production that day Law did themselves, and that it's really interesting in the interview to hear some of the singular attributions of posspying, like Dave did that beat, or Mace did that beat or I did that beat, you know, and of course Prince Paul, but that that was I think it's one of their brothers.
Speaker 4: I think it was yeah, Lucky Yeah, yeah, And I didn't know who that was until this interview exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those things where I just was imagining especially in that era of like day Law is probably getting some beat submissions, but like who it just just that colonel in passing, You know that that sends the mind wondering. So I appreciate this discussion. Thank you everyone that's supporting these Quest Love Show minis. We are trying to do them between episodes. Talk about things that stand out to us. Definitely, this is a three sixty conversation. So you know, folks, if you have you know, questions or things you want talked about, we always try to get the questions over to a mirror. But go to questlovesupreme dot com. There's a contact us or you can direct message QLs. That's the best place and we try to, you know, make this an organic conversation.
Speaker 2: But Mike, thank you, man, of course, thank you.
Speaker 4: This is amazing.
Speaker 1: Question of show is a production of iHeartRadio.