Speaker 1: What up, everybody. It's your boys from All the Smoke here. We've been nominated for two Webbies. First of all, we want to thank the committee for nominating us. We definitely appreciate that Best Social and Best Pod Jack. We need to win this one.
Speaker 2: This is the big one, right We need you to go vote for us. That's what we need you. Y'all been supporting us, y'all the reason why we're here. Yeah's a lot of reason why we had all that success. So now we need y'all again. We need y'all to go and vote.
Speaker 1: It's the realist podcast out there, Man, All the Smoke. Make sure you vote for us.
Speaker 2: Go vote for your boys, Man All the Smoke.
Speaker 1: Showtime Basketball is also nominated for a Webby. As you know, we've built a very good team over here with myself and my brother Stack, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, our sister Rachel Nichols, Alan Iverson to name a few. So make sure you guys go vote for that though too. Can't forget about the family. Go vote for us.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: M welcome back to a special edition of All the Smoke. We got one of the biggest fights I can recall. I'm excited. I'm getting goosebumps even talking about it. We're here with Ryan Garcia. We appreciate your time, man, busy man, April twenty second. Tell me what that means to you.
Speaker 3: I think for me, at least, it means everything to me. I've put so much time, effort, and I've been envisioning this fight for so long. It's just always fout a fight that was going to determine, uh, what type of greatness was I was going to reach? And every fight I knew it was just leading up to this moment, even like five years ago, I just kind of knew that he would be the guy that it was just it was just hope happened to be. He He's the opponent in front of me that I got to conquer. Uh, And now it's here. So it's a special moment. Now. Now I'm like, That's why I'm so locked in, because I know these moments don't come come often. And I really I'm hungry for greatness. I'm hungry. I'm hungry just like be in a position where I reached it. I got there. I don't want to just be here. I just I want to get there. I want to. I want to conquer this moment. Uh.
Speaker 1: There's talks that the winner of this fight will be the face of boxing, and obviously, so much has happened to you so fast within your career. You have an unblemished record with nineteen knockouts. To think about possibly being the face of boxing? What does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: It's it's amazing. It's something that I kind of That's really what I wanted to be when you know, I became a boxer, is to you know, be a champion and represent boxing and the best way I can. That's why I like, if I do become the faceboxing after this, I hold great responsibility. So I'm definitely aware of that, conscious and aware of all the things I do. And that's why I strive to evolve as a man every day because if I get into that position, then then I'll be the right man for it.
Speaker 1: It took a while to get this fight made. Obviously, both sides had to make some sacrifices. The one thing that the media is kind of jumping on is the the ability to only gain ten pounds back post weigh in. Obviously, you're someone who walks around at a heavier weight naturally you're dropping weight to come down to this fight.
Speaker 3: How tough is that for you? It's not. I mean, yeah, the media is making a big deal out of it, and you know I walk around probably like one fifty four fifty five around that range. So not too bad. Then, yeah, it's not bad. You know, was saying some crazy like one but you know he doesn't know. But you know, to me, when I was saying it, it wasn't that I was complaining about it, because I'm not. I'm making the way easy. It's the fact that like this is this is this is a side is his champion mentality? You ain't a real warrior, Like I couldn't sit with myself like that and be like yo, like I think I'm gonna get one over him, Like no, I want the best. I want the best out of you, Like let's really run it. Let's let's see who's the best. So I was just speaking to his character and like he's whack, Like that whole team is whacked for that, Like it's not affecting me. But I see what you were trying to do. That's what I was pointing at, Like you're wacke. You ain't no champion. You just a You're just a dude that like you know, you ain't got no you ain't got that in you. You ain't got that hard. I couldn't live like that after I beat him. I couldn't live like that. If I put all those stipulations on them, I felt like it affected them, I wouldn't even feel like I won. I couldn't. It wouldn't feel right in my souls. That's what I was speaking.
Speaker 1: To speak to what you've kind of had this thing, this whole camp of ten more.
Speaker 3: What does ten more mean to you? It's just like every fight, right, every every new season, you get like something in you that that drives you. I pushed you like that mantra. So this one just ended up ten more. Even when I feel tired, Uh, I just gathered myself and just I just know I got ten more in me. That's just a mentality ten more. The moment I even stopped to stop to think, I just say ten more like it just it keeps me right back. Uh. And you know some other training camps it was a different thing just so happened right here. It's ten more.
Speaker 2: You You've been through a lot already in your young career. Not too many, not too many guys, especially at your caliber. I've been down but got up and came back and went Having that experience, been through a lot, a lot of stuff in the ring, you feel like you're prepared, ready for anything.
Speaker 3: You can see on a second. Definitely, those moments prepared me for this moment. I've been through. Uh, I've taken a shot, got back up.
Speaker 2: And delivered a body shot.
Speaker 3: And just control of the fight. Like I like, I just hold myself and just I didn't really react to it. I'm getting right back to work, like I just forgot about it. It didn't affect me. So I was really proud of that because it, you know, it brought that out of me, Like I didn't. You don't know how you're gonna respond, you know, you don't know how your body's going to react. I just I was just so hungry. I was just like nothing, I don't. Can you take us back down?
Speaker 1: Because you could take us back to that moment, because like I said, your response was right about you. You know what I mean to be able to bounce back with what was going through here, You hit the canvas, you get up, take us through that right there the way you're going through your Then.
Speaker 3: I just got hit and then I just seen like white and I was up. So I don't I don't even know. I didn't realize I was down. I just like I just I was just up. I looked at my dad, I said, I got it. Don't worry, I'm gonna go get because I knew. I knew I was in control of the fight. It's like you just get hit with a shot and you got to realize, like were you controlling the fire? You weren't controlling the fight. Some ship you you just slipped, like you just make a human mistake. It's not like it's not like he's better caught me with a good shot. All right, good, I'm right back, and let's see if you could do it again. And I just had that mentality. Uh, I just remember had this thought one time, not one time when I was like when I stepped up to him, I felt like a little dizzy, but I said, man, I've been drunk way worse than this. Sprop. This ain't ship. I got this.
Speaker 2: This is ship.
Speaker 3: I love it exactly through my mind. Yeah, this ain't ship. I've had buzzes work. Yeah, this this is what it's about. Laughter, So broke broke, being that.
Speaker 2: This is fight is so big and your career you already just as big as anybody in boxing. Now the heights that this fighting take you. How do you stay focused and locked in with knowing this moment.
Speaker 3: It's so big.
Speaker 2: We playing the NB we played in front of thirty thousand people, but there's a lot of time people can play under those lights and couldn't can perform.
Speaker 3: You've been doing this the.
Speaker 2: Biggest fight, ever, how do you keep your composure?
Speaker 3: I think just my experience and just understanding what these emotions really are. Like, I really pay attention to what I can't control, what I can't control, and just focus on how I could fight as best as I can. I almost like become numb to any type of emotion when I'm fighting, because you know, then you lose focus on what's happening in front of you. So I just really like, I just have so much experience around it that I could stay focused in the moment. And I want to win so bad, so I make sure I pay attention and I'm not letting anything you know, overcome me. Whether it's a good emotion or bad emotion, they don't mean nothing. To me, I just care about the fight. Yeah, so because I want to. I want to be prepared. So if I change, if I feel shift the momentum, I nip it in the butt. If I you know, see that he's kept his hand down a couple of times, that I'm gonna capitalize it on it, you know what I mean. Or if he's not aware of what I'm doing, then you know I could sense it. So I try to stay in the moment, stay in the time, you know, make sure that you know I'm not I'm not letting him take control, you know what I mean. So I'm kind of I'm kind of gaging it. His energy was definitely I felt it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you speak to obviously your mechanics, your physical attributes to this game are are second to none. But you're speaking a lot on the mental side. For those that understand how mental boxing is, speak to how mental it is. Because everything you just explained right there was all mental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. It definitely. Uh, if you don't got your mental right, I mean you could train a million hours to get it in the ring and your mental ain't right and you're getting tired in the second round. You understand, you asked yourself, why you know I did all the miles, that did everything because you haven't controlled that part of you. That's a big part of experience and learning. You know, what's what's the truth of what's going on? You know what's the reality that really you're not really tired. It's just it's a mind is the feeling of dread. It overcomes you so much that you begin to be tired. I find that it happens often when I'll go running. Sometimes I start it's the dread of man, I know there's a little it's still a long way to go, and then right there I instantly get tired. But that's not the truth. It's just the uncomfortability of it's a long road ahead of me. So then I just understand it, you know, I come back to the moment and realize like, okay, you know, I just gotta take every step, every stride, just focus on that, and then it all disappears, so like you begin to realize what the reality of things are when you pay attention. That's just my type of mind. I always think really in depth of what's really going on, because it helps me, it spares me for anything that comes at me. Like, if Javonte makes me uncomfortable, I could take an example of what happened to me in a run where I felt uncomfortable, how it overcame it and quick I could come right back to it in my mind, so I could fix the energy. I could fix that where he his energy ain't gonna overcome on like, I'm gonna find a way to get over this, you know what I mean. Okay, I'm gonna stay focused. We're gonna get back to it. You know, I'm lett him have his moment. I'm gonna I'm gonna, you know, do what I can to do, you know, control that, and then I'll get right back to him, because sometimes you know, they try to come at you. The best thing you could do is defend. You know, some people like I gotta fight off. That's where you get clipped. Okay, let's let you have your moment and I'm gonna get back to my moment and see what you do. Two questions.
Speaker 1: How long has this camp been and what's been different about this camp?
Speaker 3: This camp? I mean, it's just all getting back to what I know is my best. You know, when you start a camp, you know when you're at your best and it's just chasing that. You know. I'm like, okay, I gotta get back to where my punchers are effortless. Like when I throw, I don't feel no stress, no tension. When I throw, I don't It's coming easy. You know. I'm able to control my balance, I'm able to control my breathing, like nothing really could affect me. I gotta answer everything. It's getting back to that type of focus, like a super in depth focus that like nobody could do, nobody can know, like something that takes hours and hours of thinking, of training, of understanding what's going on. So it's for me, it's like every training camp is. It's like a version of that. This is just who it happens to be a bigger moment. But a lot of people let up on that moment like I'm finally here. They start to be like, oh I got here, I'm good, and they kind of training. So here's been like how can I even let that go in my mind? Fuck that I'm here, I'm here now now this is the time to really do it. Fuck that, I gotta really do it now, Like I gotta be like I was coming up to this moment, I got to be like that here and then some. So it's just elevating. It's just pushing me. That's what I said. Ten more is just making me do more, and then it just becomes natural. More is natural to me. Now, it's not even a thing I have to try. I just know I could do more.
Speaker 1: Major debut at seventeen years old, what was that like, I mean, throwing in the fire early, still a teenager man.
Speaker 3: I just fell in love with pro boxing. You know, the fact that there's no hagar to me, that change was so addicting because I could see their head and like the punches that I would land Like an amateur, you know, of course you got hagar and you could take them a little bit better. This one I hit them. I knew. I was like, I knew they were hurting people in the amateur, but I had never seen it. When I realized, like, oh my gosh, they're like it's so much easier to knock people out like that made me happy because I knew, like these dudes just be walking into punches thinking that's all good. It's like like and then I finally got the eight ounce clubs and I realized, like what I was thinking was true, Like these shits really do hr like you know what I mean, Like you can't hide behind the hagar no more. It's gonna hurt. So I really loved it. I did it for my family, for myself because you know, you don't make no money in amateurs. For sure, you gotta make that money. So I started my journey quick and try to build my name. That's why I started doing social media and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: A few months into that, you signed with Golden Boy. What was that process like? And obviously Oscar being a legendary fighter himself and being able to cross over into this space, what was that opportunity like meeting him and then signing with his company.
Speaker 3: You know, it was just I was searching for who really believed in me. You know, Mayweather wanted to sign me a lot of like people wanted to sign me top rank. I even fought on one of top ranks, lower cards, and I just never had the impression that they, like anybody was like they weren't no, like too high on me. They kind of just seen me as like, you know, maybe marketable one day, and just like I didn't feel like they had a belief in me. And then when I was with Oscar. I think he's seen a part of himself and me. And then I was like, all right, I'm gonna go where that's like. I'm just gonna go where they believe in me. And then I'm gonna see where that transpired. And then then ended up going well in my career. You know, I blew up pretty quick and I made I made the best of any moment I had. You know, the thing that you know, these fires got to understand is when you're coming up and you're supposed to beat these guys, you can't just think I gotta get that win. It's not about that. You got to show them while you're different, like when that moment comes, you gotta you gotta look for those special mos. Like when I first fought on ESPN. You know, I told myself I'm gonna become I'm gonna get on Sports Center. Nobody knew who I was, but I had that. I had that intention. I was be intent for like I want to be I want them to see something they've never seen. That I knocked the guy out in thirty seconds like I intentionally wanted it. You know, I was like, no, I want I want a special mom. I'm gonna wait for that. I seen them clip the knocked them out. You gotta take advantage of those moments. You're not gonna get a lot. How was it when you link with the Tringer, Eddie and Canelo? That was awesome.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was during the time where I was going through some personal issues and I had to fight, and I didn't do too well because I was so distracted outside the ring, and I was just like it was just a bad, weird time in my life, like growing pains, kind of like as a young man and just you know, all that stuff. And then you know, I was looking for something to help me, you know what I mean. I was like, man, I got to get better at something. I gotta find somebody that knows what it's like, you know what I mean. And Canel and them, Eddie and them, they agreed to train me, and I was so surprised. And then I got to really have an insight look on what a real champion trains, how he really takes his day, and like how they're so consistent. I'm like, oh okay, Like I just and then from there, like I was able to like evolve as a person as a fighter. I'm like okay, because I had a little bit better understanding what it's really like. And yeah, that was a really big blessing for me to be in that camp.
Speaker 2: To be able to learn from a guy like Annello and just see how he prepares you know that that had to be a blessing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching him spar and just I just was able to understand what he was doing and even though like we don't have the same style, but I understood what he was doing and it really helped me like grow, Like, oh man, okay, because I never understood, like how do these dudes do twelve rounds not get tired? And like I just didn't. I was still new, you know what I mean. And they really showed me everything. So it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Best part of training and worst part of training.
Speaker 3: Best part of training would probably have to be the sparring. Worst part of training with my coach, my strength and additioning coach sit man, Man, that's painful, springs. That's worse than running. Yeah, way worth and running. I love running. I could run for like twenty miles thirty miles nothing. Strength and conditioning with SIP that's tough, man, because I'm coming back from the run and then I know I got to be hitting them ways. I got to do box, dunk, just all these other things. But he gets me strong, so you gotta do it up.
Speaker 1: What is it like for people to kind of really understand as you're leading into a fight a diet. I was someone who was never huge on diets. We played fifteen years and we kind of ate what we wanted and worked our ass off real quick and got in shape. Obviously, fighting is different. How different is your diet than it normally?
Speaker 3: I think for me, I do better obviously on when I obviously, but I do better when it's like I'm fast scene in a way before I you know, start to do something intent. So that's what I found that works for me. I feel like everybody's different though. Everybody has their own ways, and you just got to find what keeps your body the most in tune. Don't be afraid to try new things, but to assess it truthfully and honestly, not because I don't want to eat that. You know, you got to try it and then see what it actually does for you. A lot of people just like listen to like you know, nutrition iss and then you know, you know they it doesn't work for everybody's got. You gotta be honest, like this is working, this ain't working. So me, I spent a lot of time over the years crafting on what works for my body the best, and I feel like I found it. I don't change much, And yeah, I often decide to eat less and more because I realized that I could always eat more, I can't eat less. So that's how I think you.
Speaker 1: Touched on it earlier. But thoughts on the power of social media and you know, obviously it's something that's fairly new, but you're someone who's mastered in and people kind of try to take a shot at you, so to speak, because you are so successful on social media and try to discredit who you are as a fighter. Is that still motivating or you just don't even give a shit about that no more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't give a shit about it anymore, like you said, because I mean, we're all doing social media, so you're on it comedy exactly, So I've kind of I kind of just have the same mindset and everything, like if I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna try to be good at it, and that's it, you know. I found like, you know, when I was making the videos. I just my natural like thinking process was like, Okay, that video did a little bit better, Like why okay, I'm gonna try to do the same thing, and it kind of just grew into something and I just become like not addicted, but like just like I started understanding it way better and I took it to another level. That's just my thinking. I say, oh, I could take it to the next level, And that's how I was thinking anything, right, Yeah, I could take it to the next Oh I got to fifty K, I could take it one hundred K. I could take it to three hundred. Like that's just my thinking. Like, so that's where's how I got to where I was in social media. And then boxing follows suit because I think the same way in boxing, so I kind of just take the same mentality I learned from boxing into everything else and then it becomes successful quick hitters.
Speaker 1: Before we get out of here, outside of your fight, give me two fights you want to see, not including yourself in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Crawford Spence, Canelo Benovida. That's the best.
Speaker 2: That's the two.
Speaker 3: That's the two I want to see too.
Speaker 2: Stuck on the island, give me three movies or shows on repeat.
Speaker 3: Stuck on the island, three shows, three movies on repeat. Okay, I gotta have Lion King. I love the super Mario Brothers new movie. That's far and three was the last one. It's a good movie. Interstyler probably, okay, some of my favorite man.
Speaker 2: I would think he would give me some Mexican classes or something man blood and blood out American or stuff like that.
Speaker 3: That's what I was waiting on. I'm waiting to hear he might be.
Speaker 1: He might be too young for that thought.
Speaker 3: They know what I'm talking about. Speaking the movie, animated movies.
Speaker 1: That's okay, speaking the movies. If somewhere to play you in a bio, pick who would it be? Who could play Ryan?
Speaker 3: That guy that played Who's that? What was that? Shows? That show on the block? Diego too? He probably, Yeah, Dirego. He's actually a big fan of mine too.
Speaker 1: You saw the girl smiling and shaking their heads. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's your go to artists? What you have on rotation right now? What you're listening to is my go to artist?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're listening to right now, Like in the whip right now is music big for you as you're training or is it you're just all.
Speaker 3: Sometimes music like I like, but I don't know. I just kind of go with what's moving me. And I don't have like a like a attachment to the music. Whatever is working, I'm using, Yeah, it ain't working, I'm moving on to the next song it works because I only care about the motion that brings out of me. So if it's moving me, it would be some interstellar like Hans Zimmer orchestrating, and then there could be some rap music, but you know, like Tupac like it's just like when he's calling out Biggie, I was just like it gets me like I want to destroy somebody, like all right, And then sometimes it's calming because it keeps me focused. Just whatever is working. I don't really care about who it is. Whatever's working. If it's a little baby today, it's gonna be a little baby facts that's just how it's gonna go. So I'm a fan of everybody. If it makes a move like something Jack Harlows like like you know the words he says, and Drake you know Ship, you know all the artists.
Speaker 1: Really classics, other sports you were in too. I heard you play a little baseball growing up outside of boxing. Do you have a favorite sport now or is it.
Speaker 3: What's my favorite? I really started liking football. He used to not like football at all. It should be like I don't even want to watch it. But now it's like, man, it's super fun of watching Seeing it live a couple of times, it really really made me like it. I started loving basketball first, but now I was just kind of a little bit bored of it. But me, no, no, no, nice to come on, man said, I'm gonna find a way to score at least three. You know, man, I gotta get some type of bucket in some way, somehow. I know you're tall and all that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: If I you know, I'm gonna have to get you tired. I don't wanna run down the court million million. You're gonna get some buckets, though, sooner that you're gonna have to get tired. I try to lay it up. He got the Youth.
Speaker 1: Five dinner guests dead or alive, U plus five dinner.
Speaker 3: Man, that's a good one, okay, Denderal live. I'm gonna get Muhammad Ali there. I love him. Who else would I want? Homedol Lee Uh mm hmmm. I like this question. Marcus Aurelius, he's good Socrates. That's the first I heard that.
Speaker 4: Three four I would get Oh, I mean, no, he's not dead.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be because I'm saying Jesus died, he rose again.
Speaker 1: It was just the res ago, it's alive again.
Speaker 3: So I was like confused.
Speaker 1: I was like again, he was confused him how to say this one?
Speaker 3: But I want him mayor Jesus live that my mom n nice.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: If you could see one guest on our show, who would it be?
Speaker 3: But you have to help us get your answer on this.
Speaker 1: Now you got a big ass rollerdex on that phone.
Speaker 3: Oh so if I could get somebody that I know on this, yeah, you know a lot of people too. It would be cool to talk to shoot Justin Bieber. Good call, great call. I come on man, come on, beef. The King said it.
Speaker 1: Come on before we get out of here. Jackson doing a little boxing with some boxing ship. Can you do me a favorite and hit him with one body shot?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not absolutely not to you know, I shot you how to shoot. Don't worry about the body shot.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, Ryan Man, we want to thank you best of luck. Definitely looking forward to seeing this fight.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: This is something that the world has been waiting for. You made it happen. We're excited and wish the best for you man. So good luck, bro, sir, love Bro. That's a Ryan Garcia, straight from the camp, all the smoke,