Speaker 1: Worried today's episode contained spoilers for the first episode of it. Welcome to Derry One speaking Hello. Name is Jason Caccepsio and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to Extra Vision where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, company from Iron, where we're bringing you three episodes a week. News plus news guys, did you know that?
Speaker 2: Have you listened to the news ever?
Speaker 3: Because guess what it's gonna be on. But first, this episode today is only about it. Welcome to Darius, Andy and Barbara Maschetti Ratturn to Stephen King's dastardly Town with new kids and a new era fifties to sixties. I think by the time we hit the main kids were in the early sixties. We are let's just say we're excited about this show. So me and Jason are going to recap the episode. Then we will introduce our scream queens, Common and Joel to join us to discuss because this is more than just a Stephen King adaptation. This is Warner Brothers trying to launch a Stephen King connected universe, which is really interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Welcome to Darry the pilot episode, and folks, it's dry, you know what. You know what's going on. The kids are disappearing bad, they're ending up in the sewer. This shit's been going on for centuries up there in Maine, and it's going on now. We open at the cinema with a with a showing of the music Man, Rosie, are you the music a music man person?
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not necessarily a music man fan, you know, I like a like like a weirder. I like a bit of a weird one. But you know what I did learn from this episode, which is gonna make it everyone's shocked. I didn't realize that the very famous Conan O'Brien monorail episode of The Simpsons is just him doing the music Man. I had like did not flock until this opening, so nice to see that.
Speaker 1: And The music Man itself is about a guy who comes to town to sell like band costumes and musical instruments to the town. Is like, I'm gonna teach you how to be a band. It's gonna be great. Every town needs a band, and I've got the instruments and all this stuff. And then as soon as he sells the stuff, he leaves and never teaches anybody to play anyway. We open at the cinema. It's the Music Man. There's a young man who we're gonna find out is named Maddie. He's watching The Music Man and he's, uh, he's got a pacifier in and he's you know, you can tell immediately he's too old to be here. But we're gonna discover that he's got a really fucked up home life. And as you know, the people around him are kind of saying. He gets chased out of the theater because he's snuck in to watch the Music Man, and Ronnie, the daughter of the theater owner, basically covers for him, sends the guy in the wrong direction so he can escape. He hitchhikes a ride out of town, gets in a car with a family dad, mom, teenage daughter, younger brother, and it very quickly gets weird. The teenage daughter's got like a container of liver juice, liver meat and liver juice, and she like dips her fingers in the liver juice and tries to get him to smell it. And then the mom's making all kinds of jokes about her daughter's promiscuity. It's really like what is going on? And then it turns into a fucking nightmare real quick, like scary faces and screaming and repeating or wrestling for the wheel. He's like, let me try, and like five, oh my god. Of course he can't do that because the dad is a grown man with demon strength. The mom then goes into labor and give labor of many. By the way, guys, this is a birth heavy show. Listen, folks, We're giving birth to demons in this show. She gives birth to a gross demon bat baby. It's disgusting, a lot of blood and juice the kids. Pacifire goes flying out into the river and floats down into the sewer when the baby attacks him, and then we cut and we flash forward to the present four months later, April eighteen. Excuse me, I wrote eighteen sixty two, as if it's the height of the Civil War. Nineteen sixty two. They're a little bit different. It's still not going great.
Speaker 4: He's going great, But yeah, I want this. I went into this with low expectations. I've talked on the show. I never like to yuck. Anyone's yum. I'm glad people love these.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have the scream Queen coming in those Andy Michet It movies were not particularly for me. But this opening is so scary and atmospheric and weird and good that I was just immediately hooked.
Speaker 1: I think the kids, the kids love horror, are gonna love this. We open, Okay, So it's April eight, nineteen sixty two. We are at Air Force Base Dairy. It's part of the US National Strategic Bomber Command, and two airmen are just arriving on the base. It's Major Handlan and Captain Russo, and they are buddies. And also Russo is like Handlan's aide de camp. It's like Handlan's going to be commanding a major bombing wing and Russo is like his main guy and his assistant. This base is home to like the bomber wing that's going to be like the first bomber wing into Moscow if the shit pops off. But Handlan is like, listen, I'm optimistic. I know it's nineteen sixty two and I'm a black major in the Air Force, but I am optimistic about America. I'm optimistic about the world, and I don't think there's gonna be a world war. I mean, I think it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all good, and nothing is gonna happen at Dairy.
Speaker 4: This is not a bad place.
Speaker 3: And there's definitely nothing dodgy about having a fos bace say that's connected to the Cold War. I couldn't see anyway that this goes wrong.
Speaker 1: This is and I haven't watched episode any episode. No, but I'm eager to go. Yeah, yeah, okay, But I just want to say, it seems to me as if this show is going to draw connection between the US military and Pennywise, and it was ready, I've forgot ready, Eddie. Come on. We open on Dairy High School. You know, it's your typical high school in the early sixties. We meet Lily, and Lily is bullied because I guess she's something of the class weirdo, and people make fun of her, they put stuff in her locker, et cetera. She's got a very very, very supportive best friend named Marge, who is worried about her glasses, that her glasses make her ugly. But they look nice. Glasses are great, they look nice. It's a typically they look nice. Yeah, it's a typical, kind of like a teenage small town situation. We meet Phil. Phil is obsessed with traffic going into the airbase. He can't help but notice the traffic is picked up lately, and he thinks this means World War three might be in the offing. We go to Hanlon and Russo they meet their men in the seventieth seventieth bomb wing, and it certainly appears that not everybody has Handlan's optimistic disposition about the future of America, because there's definitely some folks here who have problem taking orders from a black commanding officer.
Speaker 3: Definitely, And I want to say touching already on one of the things I think this pilot immediately does beat than the movies, which is the way that they look at race and I think it's really interesting.
Speaker 4: And we stop to get that touch with the Handland story.
Speaker 1: The one who is the most disrespectful, disobedient to his commanding officer about this particular issue is a airman named Masters, and Masters, you know, basically, Handlin approaches him in this moment and gives him like a free one. It's basically, hey, listen, I get it, you don't like it, but I am your commanding officer, so like I'll forget that one. But you're gonna give me the respect I deserve. But before he can give him that pass, General Shaw the Great James Remar comes up and is and basically drops his fucking nuts on the ges. Listen, I am the general of this air base, okay, and if anybody is going to bring racial discrimination into my airbase, they're gonna get fucking marshaled. Okay, you're out of here racism, right, So do you have a problem? Do I have any kind of problems here? Air masters? And masters like very He doesn't want to, but he salutes the General then is like, hay, then come to my office later. Let's have a drink. I want to talk to you about it. Just stuff. We get to another scene with Phil and Teddy, the young friends. They're best friends. They're making a comic book together, which you love to see. Teddy is like the artist while Phil is like the Stanley of this.
Speaker 4: Definitely he's the talka yes.
Speaker 1: And it turns out that they were Phil, Teddy and Maddie, the kid who disappeared. They were all best friends together, and Teddy is like just torn up about it. It's only been four months, and he's like, what if he's alive? What if he ran away? Where is he? Phil is like, listen, it's dairy. Kids are disappearing all the time and they're probably dead, and I'm sad about it too, but let's just like move on from it. Teddy is clearly guilty in a way that says that they did something, and he blames himself for Maddie disappearing.
Speaker 3: It definitely feels like they're leaning into a little bit more of the complexity of being a kid. There's definitely some interesting stuff here around like friendship and guilt and popularity. And it's not just the classic like four kids going on an adventure like stand by Me or you know, the versions of it that we've seen.
Speaker 4: Post Stranger Things. So I really like that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I was very intrigued immediately by this conversation and what they obviously were meant to go and meet Matty but they didn't go. I think is kind of the vibe like they'd said they would meet him, but they didn't end up going, and they have guilt around.
Speaker 1: It something, or they were mean to him in some kind of way that forced him out. I do. I found the writing around the kids.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The thing is like when you when you very often when you have a story that involves like high school middle school kids, it's hard to toe that line between like the emotional rawness that like kids have, yeah, and the feeling of like existential everyday dread of just going to school, and but also like balancing that with not making them to adult introspective, like too mature. And I think they really toe the line well here.
Speaker 3: I also think the kids are so young looking like this is very different to what we usually see this kind of you know, kids in high school who look like that twenty seven or who are twenty seven, And they did a great job of making these kids look like that's twelve, like you believe it.
Speaker 1: It's a great point because I was actually wondering, and I think this is more about shows usually casting teenagers who are in real life like twenty eight nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I was actually wondering. Yeah, I was actually wondering whether it was middle school for a second, but it is high school. Okay. So we go to Lily. Lily is practicing smiling in the mirror because she's insecure, but also I think she wants to remember what it was like to smile again. She's having a tough time of it. She's remembering a night when Maddie took her to the trio of Boy's Secret Boy Hangout, which you know with Phil and Teddy, and they had this wonderful moment where you know, Lily is she's called Lily the Looney by her bullies, and it turns out her dad was mangled in a terrible industrial life. I think that Lily blames herself for is horredous. You want to talk about low bars for being a nice guy and a decent kid. Maddie clears that bar easily by assuring her it was not your fault that your dad.
Speaker 3: More people need to be telling this child it was not your God.
Speaker 1: He then he gets caught up in the moment and I get it there he could you know. He's talking to her, he's looking in her eyes, she's crying. He's telling her like, it wasn't your dad's fault. It wasn't your fault your dad died. And he goes for he kind of like leans in for the kiss, and she's like whoa, and she's just kind of like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wait what.
Speaker 1: And then Maddie is like, Okay, that was a mistake. I'm sorry. I'm going to leave now, don't tell Phil and Teddy that I took you to the Secret Boys hangout. And I'm just I'm going to go home. And he goes off into the night, never to be seen again to return. He's gone. Lily uh Is comes out of this reverie when her mom comes up and is like, you were going to your dad's grave tomorrow, so remember that, and we're going And she's like, well, I don't want to go, Like it's can we just I'm trying to get past this. Also that she's on meds to go.
Speaker 4: Through the grave right now. I feel like this kid is dealing with this every day, Like, let her go in her own time.
Speaker 3: She's very aware her dad was crushed in the literal geas of capitalism.
Speaker 1: That's right. And so her mom leaves and Lily's in the bathroom and she hears like, coming out of the drain, what's that it's that sounds like the music man? Is that the music man? It's Maddie. That's the distinctive voice of young Maddie coming from the drain. He's down in the sewer and Lily's like, what's going.
Speaker 2: On down there? Maddie?
Speaker 3: Is that you?
Speaker 1: And Maddie goes, he's got made down here.
Speaker 3: We we'll let it go.
Speaker 1: Let his little bloody fingers. Two of his fingers pop out of the drain, and Lily is scared and grossed out. Lily goes and tells Marge, best friend Marge the next day at school and Marge and I don't Faulter for this at all. Marge is like, Lily, don't tell people that tell she's trying to help you. Yeah, because that's fucking banana. That's the nuts. That story's nuts. And you've already, through no fault of your own, have this school reputation as Lily the looney and that's not right. But don't give people more ammo, and tell people this. And of course Lily takes this like you're not I thought you were my friend. And it seems like they might break up as friends now, which is very very sad, and you can see both sides of it.
Speaker 4: Phil very sad.
Speaker 1: We learn obsessed with seeing titties. He wants to see breasts, he wants to see bears.
Speaker 4: He loves boobs.
Speaker 1: This he got to see him.
Speaker 4: He's like he's in pookies.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely like just staring into windows. Like, you know, if it goes much further than this, Phil, I'm gonna be worried. But we have to remember this is an age in which, uh, a young man who want to see boobs could see him. You're not seeing him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No. Internet also very good way to see it, Arrah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has always been about repression and childhood coming of age, so that makes sense.
Speaker 4: But it is funny.
Speaker 3: I loved when I was looking through you all recap and I was like, glad you mentioned that he is fucking obsessed with boobs, because this kid is like, it's a problem.
Speaker 1: It's almost too much. Yeah, Like, this is a kid who is like he's he's one step away from like drawing tits in the dirt with a stick and staring at exactly like, yeah, come on, guys. So Lily approaches Phil and Teddy at the clubhouse and tells them the story, and Teddy takes it. Teddy is inclined to take it seriously. Teddy's like very wait, you said you heard his voice coming in and the s were very very interesting. Phil is like, come on, let's go through all the ways that this could not possibly happen. But of course he doesn't understand the history of Derry and the way we do. Teddy's like, come on, wait, hold on, you're the stan Lee, You're the fucking sci fi fantasy guy. Come on, like you're coming up with all these incredible scenarios all the time, and you don't believe that, like Maddie could have been taken by some kind of like evil force and kept prisoner in the sewer where he's talking to us through the drain pipe. But then Teddy is like, you know, actually, when I hear myself say it, I have to say that, it's it's far fetched.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm not I can't go there with you, Lily Lily Stocks. We go to the air Force base. The General and Handlan are having that little drink and he's like, listen, guess what, your buddy masters, I put him on latrines for like the next month, so he's cleaning your Make sure to fucking drink five cups of coffee, have some oatmeal, and then take a big wet dump and then I'll send him in there to fucking clean that up. How about that Handland Apparently an ace pilot he was he earned his wings in Korea, where he was doing all types of action movie type stuff and when he talks about Korea. When when the general talks about Korea, Handlan is like, I don't like talking about Korea. Handlin's and the generally why and He's like, because we didn't fucking win on some Michael Jordan shit.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, undefeated warrior whoa okay think about that one.
Speaker 1: Handlan is apparently on base because there's a brand new Bee fifty two bomber with all the bells and whistles, and Handlan is just the guy to test it out. We go to Teddy's family house, Teddy's Jewish, at dinner, his dad's prayer and then they're, you know, passing food around and Teddy is like, Dad, let me ask you a question. You're a man of the world. Is it possible could this happen? This scenario say a kid gets kidnapped, everybody thinks he's dead, he disappears for months, but in actuality, he's been taken prisoner to some kind of like central sewer room where all the pipes connect, and he has figured out which pipe to talk into to talk to not his girlfriend but almost and his dad is like, are you fucking get your fucking my head out of your ass? Are you kidding me with this shit? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Extremely real to me. This was like the story am I Like. When I was a kid, I would always be.
Speaker 4: Like, is this possible?
Speaker 3: Could this happen?
Speaker 2: I read this.
Speaker 3: Scary book and my parents will like, please just shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: I shut up, man.
Speaker 3: And you know what I have to say, bad parenting a dad, because in this specific situation, if you know about Derry like we do, you should be listening to your kid. But again, I think this is a great play on the themes of the original book and also the horror that we've been seeing this year, this twenty twenty five year of horror with you know, adults not being good at tight taking care of kids.
Speaker 4: It's a tradition horror trope. The police are always useless, the parents are useless.
Speaker 3: But this one I felt like was a great, really hit time because also then he's like, stop fucking reading comics, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, ah, stop, stopped a bit stuffed.
Speaker 1: The thing I loved about this exchange was his dad is like, stop with the comics, and then immediate smash cut Teddy in bed reading comics correct and looking, looking more at ease than anybody you could possibly imagine, absolutely flipping through a detective comics. Now, his dad had mentioned in that screen about stop reading comics that you know we come from, you know, our people were almost exterminated. We know horrors. I don't need to imagine these crazy kids sewer horrors. What the fuck are you talking about? They used to like the Nazis made lampshades out of our skin, Like, okay, the real world is terrible. Maddie's is trying to read, but his lamp keeps dying, and when then it's finally turns on with this blaring light, the lampshade is made out of what I assumed to be Maddie's face skin that is talking to him, and it's talking to him so good, such a really good jumps good one, really scary, very evil.
Speaker 3: Dead coded looks a lot like the kind of necronomicon Book of the Dead Faces. Yes, also, I am very interested in this new kind of reframing of the skinned murder kind of lamps and their connections back to Nazi Germany, because obviously that was treated very grossly in Edgene Monster, which we talked about on a previous episode, but I was interested to see it come up again here, and this I think works for a really good scare also very real that when your parents tell you something like that about your past, about your family, that then then that becomes the thing you're.
Speaker 4: Most scared of.
Speaker 3: So I think again for me, the way that they worked in kind of how a kid really has nightmares and then added kind of the dairy.
Speaker 4: Mystery of it all because I mean, pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Guys to say this, but this is a New IT show with like a sink, not barely a single character that you will know unless you deeply read the Stephen King book. So I think that is also kind of a brave gambit. But the kids stuff sells it to me.
Speaker 1: It really does. You know what this reminds me of When I was a kid, we uh me and my friends we learned about like the whole playing records backwards thing. Oh so we got we got a copy of led Zeppelin four and we were playing steroids. Heaven backwards is trying to hear the like my sweet Satan or whatever he's supposed to say. Yeah, and clearly my mom or stepdad or someone was waiting for the moment because as we were doing it, they shut off the lights in my room. There's a light so that my room was like formerly the garage but they had remade it, but still the lights which was on the outside. Yeah, and it was the scariest moment. I was like, was like like never again.
Speaker 3: And for girls, it's definitely weed your boards and yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: So Teddy's story about the lamp, Phil is in and it feels like, you know what, I buy it?
Speaker 4: Now two crazy stories I'm in.
Speaker 1: So now it's Teddy, Phil and Lily and this trio sets off to figure out, like what the fuck is going on. They go to the library, Lily pulls up the newspaper story about Maddie's disappearance, and they realize that Ronnie, the daughter of the movie theater owner, was the last person to see Maddie, so they go to see her. Ronnie is like, listen that whole fucking thing. The cops tried to pin it Maddie's disappearance on my dad. Guess why? And oh, did I know Ronnie is black and her dad is black? You haven't.
Speaker 3: And this is a very clearly trying to pin it on this matter and also it was clear that Mattie and Ronnie were chill, and it seemed like it seemed like Ronnie's dad was also kind of kind to Matty. So you know, it's an outside of space the cinema and the police immediately look there.
Speaker 1: So Ronnie's like, get the fuck out of here. I don't want to talk about Maddie, Like this whole thing has been a real stressor for my family, and just get out of here. And so they're leaving. But as they're leaving, Phil is like I told you she wouldn't believe it about the sewers, and Ronnie's who wha, wha who what would you say? Sewers? And Ronnie is like, hold up, sewers, I'm hearing stuff in the sewers too. Bomb bomb bomb on the base. That night after the meeting, Hanlan is attacked by several maskmen and lest you think this is purely a racial incident, they want They're like, give us the intel about the new B fifty two bomber. What okay? So something very interesting going on. Hanlan is like, you're gonna need to pull that tra your hoss if you want that, you want, you need to shoot me because I'm not gonna give you the intel. So Russo comes kool aid through the breaks down the door and they have this scrap with these masked men and they fight them off, and then the mask men run off of Tonight, and then Handlin and Russo sit there and basically pat each other on the back while these men are running through the base. Shouldn't you go alert like the base security and be like, hey, there's masked men on the base looking for info about the B fifty two bomber.
Speaker 3: My theory is that there is more going on at the base than just the ball master. There's a reason these two don't want to be talking, because otherwise, why is that not the first thing you do? Also, I guess we should mention that I think that's really interesting for them to center a black family and have Jovanna Deppo from Overlord come in as.
Speaker 4: Leroy Handlin and then have a new mic.
Speaker 3: We also get Taylor Page as Mike's mom, and I think this is a time to kind of course correct post Mike being written out of it, and this focuses more on kind of oh my god, Mike leading into what he would be in the interludes as an adult. So yeah, I'm very excited and I love these characters so far.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's still crazy to me that you're go chase these guys or go find the MP's and be like, hey, I don't know. That was weird anyway. So the kids learned from Ronnie that the song that Maddie was because like, you know, Lily sings a little bit of it, and Ronnie's like, oh, that's from the that's from the music Man. So let's go see the music Man. I have the real at the theater and she strings up the she puts the film on. They're watching it in the empty theater, the kids, and they're like, you know, just looking for clues, and then all of a sudden they're like, wait a second. In the crowd is like the music Man is happening, and he's like dancing around, you know, talking to the townsfolks. They look and like the Purple Rose of Cairo type situation. They see Maddie in the film. Maddie's in the body.
Speaker 4: It's he's gone.
Speaker 1: He's got like a bundle, like a little baby in his arms, and it was like very very creepy and well done. And they're just like Maddie come out witches coded.
Speaker 3: Do you remember how I'm the original Waldal, which is like the girl got trapped in the pain thing. This was really giving that and his friends are talking to him, and it seems like he's able to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like in my work. They're like, man's crown, Yeah, walk towards whatever, Walk towards our voye that who knows what Maddie sees inside the screen. But they're like, come here. They're trying to get him outside the screen, but Maddie when he gets closer to the screen is basically like, now it's too late. I'm trapped in here. And then he throws the baby through the screen and it's the demon baby, and the demon baby fucking goes ape shit inside this fucking movie theater. It kills, it smashes Teddy's head. I think Teddy's done.
Speaker 4: Eddy's gone.
Speaker 1: Teddy's gone. Ronnie very bravely comes down from the projectionist booth with a hammer to defend her. She's not even close with them.
Speaker 4: This is classic. Do you remember that tweet?
Speaker 3: I should. This is an eternal in my phone reaction meme, so I should remember who wrote it. But sorry to this uncredited non Twitter account. You are amazing. This is a great meme, but it basically is the one where it's like me, if me and my friends had seen ET, We're killing that motherfucker with hammers, you know, like that's Ronnie is Like, Ronnie's like, okay, we'd demon baby. I'm getting the hammer, I'm going down and I'm fucking taking it.
Speaker 1: But she's a real one for brutal guys.
Speaker 4: Like all kids getting killed in a movie theater.
Speaker 3: This is a crazy final set piece, and I think it establishes who our.
Speaker 4: Real leads are gonna be, which I think is really interesting.
Speaker 1: So again, Lily goes Ronnie goes down there with the hammer, very very very courageous thing to do. She finds that the demon Baby is gone, Phil Teddy, Phil's sister Susie, poor little Susie, who shouldn't even have been there, are probably all dead. And she finds Lily covered in blood, and Lily in shock, looks down and she's holding Susie's severed hat. Folks, it was it was a shocker moment. I really enjoyed this pilot.
Speaker 4: I think it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's really fun. Let's take a quick break and bring in the screen Queens and talk more about and we're back. Please welcome now to the to the Dairy Movie Theater, Blood Soak Darry Movie Theater, To talk Now, episode one of Welcome to Jerry the Screen Queens, Barman and Joel. How are you, ladies, and your thoughts on this pilot episode?
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I'll watched this silent in Rosie's bed and we were just freaking We were like.
Speaker 4: We were so freaked out.
Speaker 1: We were just laying there like, oh my god, Like it was so funny.
Speaker 3: It was unintentional. We were doing a different Halloween marathon. We were watching over the garden.
Speaker 4: Wall, and yeah, me and Joel were just blown away.
Speaker 3: Like, I did not expect to have so much style panache. I find those IT movies to be very bleak. This this had a little bit more of that Stephen King kids kind of fighting together.
Speaker 4: That I love.
Speaker 3: But Joel, what about your reading on this first episode?
Speaker 2: Man? I was really blown away, And there's just so much for us to talk about. But I think from a broad scope, right, Like, so, not only is the pilot good, but the premise for the show is good. And by that I mean Eddie whi Eddie was like, oh damn, I really love making these movies. They're so much fun. There's all these preludes in the books. Can't do those in the movie. We gotta streamline it. What have I made an entire TV series justly you get the preludes from the books. And also, what if I did it backwards? So each of your season is going to take us like twenty seven years into the past, twenty seven years further back in order to like unravel the mystery of like how did it become penny Wise? Are you joking?
Speaker 5: I was gray?
Speaker 2: And then to encase it all in a Stephen King universe where you're getting major characters and locations from classic Stephen King books. I was like, this is so delicious. Immediately I was like, we have to be covering this, like I'm never're gonna do week to week or somebody regularly, but like, I want to be checking in on the show. I'm curious with the thing. I think the cast is outstanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I did read some folks were.
Speaker 2: Upset with the scares, But what really impressed me is like Andy and Barbara, so there, it doesn't live to the movie. It does not scary to know they're wrong. Let me tell you why. Let me tell you why they're wrong. Let me tell you whether, yeah not, only is it actually genuinely terrifying? I know not maybe not everybody's into like the bat that's been transformed by nuclear power or whatever. I liked it. It worked for me. I thought the car scene was really scary. I think all of the kids' performances really lean into the like suspense and tear. The lamp shade will get there. But holy crap. But Barbara and Andy have only done movies, and it's really hard to transition from thinking about the very streamline process of telling a film story versus the long, drawn out, really difficult process of making a television show. They look different structurally, and not everyone's able to adjust.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 2: Amount of scares, the fact that we don't get Penny Wise in the pilot, all of that. Really, I think are strong, smart television making great decisions, and if they can pull this off on the pilot, I know Andy directs a couple more episodes throughout. I'm really excited about the whole series. I loved it. Carmen, what did you think? Oh?
Speaker 5: I was so hyped for this series. I mean opening up with that childbirth scene absolutely.
Speaker 2: In the car so visceral. She's not like the underwear on and everything.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh no, and we feel safe. We feel safe, like, oh, this family's gonna take care of him, and then you start to realize, wait a minute, there's somebody yeah, and then I I do appreciate that that we did not get to see penny Wise in the first episode. I half expected that that baby was going to pop out and it was going to be penny Wise any I.
Speaker 4: Did we did think.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm glad they didn't do that, though, because I'm still I know that when we do see penny Wise for the first time, we are going to be shocked and amazed. But no, I thought it was effective. Just even hearing Jason go through the recap, I'm like, damn, that all happened in that first time, and it.
Speaker 3: It feels really breezy when you watch it, like it feels like it works. Something I loved common I wonder if you could speak to is just like a lot of weird horror vibes and references and just like feeling like the opening in the car feels completely different to any kind of Stephen King thing we've seen. But if you've watched trapped, like if you've watched weird cult movies where people are trapped in their car, or that, you know, the What's dead End, the one where they just trapped on the loop, it was giving a lot of feelings. So as a horror lover, what were you feeling from that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it reminded me. I felt like I was watching like it had done like Nightmare on Elm Street. I was like, we're doing like Nightmare on Elm Street level, like horror vignettes that are really like elaborate and thought out, like that lamp scene. You know, that lamp scene went on for like I feel like watching it felt like five minutes, you know, but of course it was.
Speaker 2: That's actually the shortest scared, but it's how funny, it's so terrifying. About maybe a minute a minute and a half. Where is the like opening car scene is I think like seven and the final movie scene is roughly the same. It's fast, but it's so scary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and especially when it rolls around and screams in his space, it really sticks with you so much. Said that, I had forgotten that the Cinema was at the end of this episode because it's so much happening, and yeah, I just love I feel like, you know, we're I mean, shit, we all they killed off all these kids we were meant to care about in the first episode, and so I'm like, yeah, it's we're doing something really bold here. It feels almost like Game of Thrones for like horror people.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Now who was watched beyond episode one.
Speaker 2: A little bit of episode two, but not too much.
Speaker 5: I've seen episode two.
Speaker 1: It seems to me from episode one, you know it, you know, just give me yours that what we're going to find out is that the US military has tried to weaponize pennywise what we're going to find out because what it feels because I write what I what I love about what I think is really interesting about the way this, at least through the pilot, the way this show is set up and how it works is like there's almost in terms of like how the horror works in the world, it's like kind of nothing. The kids are disappearing. It's like you could actually be confused that you're not watching it or a reboot of it, like because it is basically what happens. But what they've added is these other textures of like the military conspiracy and uh and the goings on with the adults in town, and it really feels like there there's going to be a much larger conspiracy and it's not just going to be about this ancient fucking demon that's been in this area since you know, the indigenous Native Americans. Time, it's going to be some other kind of military conspiracy. And if that's the case, it's so crazy that I'm here for it's.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, let me read two and yes. So Andy says, it was very exciting to explore what the sixties were in America and what fear was and what kids were afraid of. It was the Cold War and kids in school were performing drills in case of a nuclear explosion. You can't imagine the state of paranoia. People were asking, is there going to be a nuclear explosion tomorrow? What are we going to do? Will there be people with birth defects? It was very exciting to think of those ripples. Then, at the premiere of the show, he was talking about growing up in Buenos Aires and living under a dictatorship, and he had this to say when Stephen King wrote it, he was writing a masterpiece of horror and a coming of age story, but it was also a parable of fear mongering and weaponizing a fear in the real world. The metaphor about fear mongering was very relevant when he wrote it, but somehow it seems much more relevant in the days that we're living now. So that's why I like to consider the show as a reminder of that if you believe in empathy and love, we can keep together and stand up against violence and intimidation and cruelty from these fucking clowns are bestowing upon us.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: This also makes so much sense because I was I'm a big Mike Canlan fan from the original, especially the nineties TV show version the mini series, and correctly so in the first not a lot of Mike in the first IT movie, by Machete's second one does bring adult Mike him, but not like crazily, not how much of a big part he really is in the interludes of the book.
Speaker 4: So to have adult.
Speaker 3: Mike Canlan here as your adult in character, I think is so clever and I want to know more about it, and I want to I want to see them tell this story in a way that is both relevant to the American time that it's set in, but also like imagine some bigger and I think that is here what appeals to me so much is like there is a world outside of Derry that is influencing Derry, and there are politics, and there are conversations. But a lot of times I feel like when people set a show in the past, they use it as an excuse to not cast people of.
Speaker 4: Color, and I feel like it's very and exactly thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, Robert, there were there were vikings, there were other colors, my friend. But but I think here this actually like surprised me by how much it establishes that it might explore that. And we know from the trailers put your ear muffs on if you don't want to hear a spoiler for the rest of the show spoiler.
Speaker 4: Air muffs on.
Speaker 3: We know that we will also get to meet the character who is a psychic from Shining from the Shining Right.
Speaker 4: We are going to be in the show. We see him briefly, and if you know in The Shining Law he is a psychic.
Speaker 3: So my reading on this and I do watch a lot of anime about espers and esp and that kind of stuff. But I feel like this is going to be about America's exploration of the paranormal, of how they can weaponize people who have sensitivities, and I think that, you know, we've seen.
Speaker 4: It in such fun Ghostbusters.
Speaker 3: You know, I think about that a lot, but I don't remember a really great exploration of Americanized exploration into the paranormal and the occult for military purposes, even though we know, for example, the Nazis loved occult sciences and magic, and so I'm really interested in that aspect and I loved it call Around. He didn't get the ending he deserved in the Shining, but it's been great to see him come back and other stuff like Doctor Sleep. So yeah, I'm just very excited. I think this is great. Jason, this is a Stephen King heavy show. Did you notice any other Steve King moments or.
Speaker 4: Will it should checking out.
Speaker 1: Nothing that we didn't pick up on.
Speaker 4: In the trim.
Speaker 1: You know, for instance, that the Shank Boss stuff like that, But I'm eager to to to check on more of that. You know, I think one of my most favorite Stephen King reading moments was the moment that I realized that the bad guy from the stand Flag was uh, was the bad guy in like the gun Slinger stuff and in The Tower and in different other Stephen King things. So I'm I'm eager to see if he threads that kind of.
Speaker 4: I want to know that to the question.
Speaker 3: They have been trying to make an interconnected Stephen King universe for many years.
Speaker 4: Guess what, Stephen King already made it. It's in the book. But we've seen Castle Rock where we had like.
Speaker 3: Lizzie Kaplan playing the iconic Kathy Bates role from Miseries, and so there has been investment in these kind of stories.
Speaker 4: But I think they.
Speaker 3: Were more in that mceu esque era of how do we connect everything? Not necessarily story first, which obviously knows why the MCU was so popular because they did go.
Speaker 4: Story first in Phase one.
Speaker 3: I think those were more of a representation of that. I also have seen multiple different cuts of the Dark Tower movie. I saw one many years ago at an early screening before I was a journalist. That was a test screening that was two and a half hours long and actually pretty incredible and did a great job of weaving all of that together. The final version was ninety minutes long, mostly set in New York, so there has been a struggle to do this. But this episode and the little hints that is very well done to me, and I love the characters they're focusing on. I love that this is maybe a little bit of a course correction from Stephen King's own representations of race and sex.
Speaker 2: Can we move over and talk about that.
Speaker 4: Let's do that as our final conversation point, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the character of Leroy is really intriguing to me. The soldier prittally, a black soldier in the sixties who's so pro America at that time, is really intriguing. I think the line there's nothing wrong with this country that can be fixed by what's right with this country is a very fun opening because you're just like, oh, brother, you're about to get bit to be.
Speaker 1: This guys after the.
Speaker 2: Very the Korean War, he's like, I can't even talk about Korea. It's interesting to hear him, you know when we when we think about black soldiers in World War Two and they're instance from being in Europe to coming back home and how they were treated. I wanted to make a very quick comment on you, you know, you guys were talking earlier about like, you know, why wouldn't this character Leroy like run and tell security given his earlier interaction where the guy didn't want to salute him. My thought was like, Oh, this is hazing. This is trying to see if I would break under being krilled like this like that. These are American like regul like there's not an accent here the I'm being hazed or abused, I mean really just being abused as a black eye in charge. And I think he was like, I'm not going to rap. I'll figure this out separately. Perhaps that was my takeaway. And and with all of that and the fact that there are so many black characters in this show, I'm really excited we'll also have indigenous characters being featured later. There's nine episodes in this season.
Speaker 4: I'm interested to see where that's gonna go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm really hoping, you know, Stephen King has done the indigenous popular He's pretty dirty, with a lot of like haunted. So I think if you're going to try to create a Stephen King universe, uh, starting here by sort of cleaning up the slate, really getting some of this like way backstory established early. That's really exciting to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very I think that that's a great cool and I'm very excited to see jove On playing Leroy and getting a new Mike Camlin who hopefully is gonna and it seems like from this episode is going to be one of the mates.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to get that. I want to see him get that story. He is the historian, he is the hat of the kids, and I think this is so I'm just really excited about it.
Speaker 1: I think it's so so week. It feels so Phil and Teddy not dead, right, They're just in the sewer problem.
Speaker 4: Oh, I didn't think about that. I was considering okay with dead, but I like they could be in the sewers.
Speaker 1: The casting is too good too, was too good. I feel like it would it would be audacious and really cool if they were dead. That I agree.
Speaker 2: Baby assisted though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, they showed the hand she got.
Speaker 2: I wouldst one.
Speaker 3: It could be really interesting if we get a duel adventure now, which is the three boys trying to escape the sewers and the two girls having to go in to have them. That would be really interesting. But look, and maybe this is an issue for some people.
Speaker 4: I get it. I do love these kids.
Speaker 3: I think the actors are so good. I'm really feeling them. But also, I think one of the best things about this is it manages to not feel derivative like a Stranger Things, even though obviously Stranger Things is derivative of it. But by broaderinging the world and allowing these kids to exist in this kind of wider cultural space, I feel like actually makes the.
Speaker 4: Show feel way way more original. But I still want to see those kids. I love a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, calm and.
Speaker 5: Go for it, I said I was going to say, Ian, even put in the chat, it feels very Stranger Things Coded. I'm hoping that they can pull this off before all of these kids turn thirty and.
Speaker 2: They won't be in the next season, so they only need to do this season and then we're going back, so we're going to fast.
Speaker 3: Forward, and I think the idea is that by the season three is your key penny Wise season, so you're really gonna be waiting to see Bill though I'm sure it and Pennywise will agree it definitely.
Speaker 1: I don't think I.
Speaker 3: Think the Cold War aspects, Ian, You're totally right, like very Stranger Things Coded, but I think that for me This just felt like quite shocking in how scary was, and I'm seeing that maybe other wee wouldn't feel that way. Maybe it was a bit B movie for them, but that's what I love. So Yeah, great first episode. I thought it was really scary and I'm excited for you guys.
Speaker 4: To come on and talk more about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, on the next episode of Extra Vision, we have a very special Halloween edition of Your Wrong Friend. That's it for this episode.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening him Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Xtra Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bai Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.