Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the big red Rain presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Harry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into the backfield.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm. And by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts visit Hazycardinals dot com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 2: All red scenes, rising up.
Speaker 5: Temperaturizing vision, flurring, rage taking over. Here's Paul Calvic am ready, I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you ab ready.
Speaker 6: And Ron Wilfleep.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 2: Unleash the fiord.
Speaker 5: Who knows what's gonna happen next? I mean, life is just a series of ifs, is it not? Look at the last twenty four hours. If Elon Musk can challenge Mark Zuckerberg to a cage match, and the Facebook CEO can respond by tweeting, send me the location dot dot dot. If Corbin Carrol the d Backs can score from first on a groundball single up the middle. What and if a dentist can take a jackhammer to Ron Wolfley's front teeth and he can still be on the air. For this edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert, we are santan Ford shortly going to be joined by Kyle Soley, the Cardinals rookie from ASU, Paul, kelvycre Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 2: There, what's going on, Paulie? How you doing well?
Speaker 6: Ding dong?
Speaker 5: The off season is over, wolf next stop training camp?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, Polly, it's interesting because the due point is coming up right now. Okay, the due point. I don't know if you happen to notice, Paul, fifty three. As a matter of fact, when it gets to fifty five degrees, Paul, the due point three days in a row. It's truly monsoon season. Will that happen? When will that happen? I have no idea, but you can almost feel it right now. When I feel the due point coming up here in the basin, PAULI I immediately think of football, and I think of training camp.
Speaker 5: Well, it can't come soon enough, because all I see is in the extended forecast by Sunday, it's going to be one ten plus for an extended stretch. So here we go, Cardinals, coming off the off season, brand new head coach, brand new culture. Dare we say Jonathan Gannon? So before we commence with what we observed and heard from the Cardinals here in twenty twenty three, the Cardinals new head coach was asked, where does the team stand exactly after Mini Camp?
Speaker 8: At a point there in the offseason, I felt like we're moving fast on a lot of things, a lot of different balls in the air, But I really like where we are as far as where we are right now at the end of Mini Camp and a lot of work to be done this summer. But I think that we set a good foundation for when we come back here. You know it's going to be it's going to be ratcheted up.
Speaker 5: Just to tad two words. We've heard plenty of wolf and it's a favorite phrase of Jonathan Gannon winning behavior. It either is or it isn't. And he's trying to check those boxes of accountability, attention to detail, all out effort all the time. These are all things you can control. We have no idea what's going to happen in camp. We have no idea what's gonna happen this season. I guess what the things you can control. He's been very much in favor of trying to set once again that winning behavior no matter what the Cardinals are doing at any point in the process.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, Polly. And when you're talking about behavior as well, you're talking about the behavior as it relates to culture and what your culture is. I know it's an overused term, Polly, it's an overused word, but it's so legit. It's something that is so integral to the success of a professional sports team, in particular because money changes the entire dynamic. Culture is so important because it says what we do and it also says how we do it. See, that's where your behavior comes into play. It's what we do and how we do it. How are you going to behave under those two conditions. This is why this offseason was so important to JG. Because he's trying to lay the foundation of what they do and how they're gonna do it for training camp coming up.
Speaker 5: And I'll give you a real life example. You tell me if this is on point or not. Because Craig Reel and myself. We were going through some of these stats regarding penalties over the last three years twenty twenty, the Cardinals are the most penalized team. Right They had the most false starts last year, third most penalized team, but the most accepted penalties against the Cardinals in the NFL. And they led the NFL in pre snap penalties, including twenty five false starts, which was number two. See, to me, that's controllable. To me, that is culture. To me, that is attention to detail. And when we've heard the stories and I'm gonna ask Kyle solely about this a little bit later, has Jonathan Gannon held you accountable yet? Because how did the off season start with the owner? The owner instigating vast change through the organization, both the head coach and the GM and telling the media we have an accountability issue. And that's where this off season started. And guess what, I think that's the path they've tried to go down more than anything as they head into camp.
Speaker 2: And you know what, poly honestly, just to continue to harp on this a little bit here, but it's so important. Once again, when I talk about what we do and how we do it, think of the example of Zavan Collins who said he brought food into a meeting, right and JG was like, Nope, that's not gonna work. Get that out of here right now. Okay, that that right there is Okay, what do we do while we meet? Maybe it's the first thing they do is a team every morning. I'm not saying that's the truth. I'm just saying hypothetically, maybe that's what they do they meet. That's the first thing. That's what you do when you come into the facility building. You're gonna have an eight o'clock meeting. That's what you do first. And how you do it. Don't you dare bring anything to drink or anything to eat inside that meeting. That is the discipline. That's where discipline, team discipline starts, Paulie. And if you're talking about team discipline, you're really talking about what individuals. You're talking about individual player discipline. It starts with one that it goes to two and then four. You do the math, paul No math.
Speaker 5: That's my hashtag that I live by. But I will say this that you know that example there was zam and Collins, Hey, thou shalt not multitask because what are you doing that means you're not fully focused on what Jonathan Gandon's talking about. So I think there is cause and effect there. There is a message sin and it is a applicable to when the little things are big things in the NFL, and those little things can cost you games. So there's that. And by the way, Xavi and Collins, I'll tell you this much towards the end of camp, the end of mini camp, and you had two players say, and Dennis Gardek I'll quote him, he'll be a dominant outside backer talking about Zavon Collins. And then Josh Woods told you wolf on ninety eight to seven that Xavin Collins is quote going to be an amazing player in this league. That raised a couple eyebrows have have we missed a storyline in Xavi and Collins? Because if you're talking about position groups and where they could add to the roster, obviously edge is right up there. I'd say, d line is up there, cornerback is up there, maybe center, tight end. What's your gut feeling do you think, Manti asin Ford is this still a work in progress in what degree?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, it is a work in progress right now. I think we're going to have a lot of veteran signings right before camp. Now we'll see how this whole thing shakes up. But Paully, I just want to go back to what you were saying about Zavon Collins and Zavon Collins being on the edge. Once again, if you were to look at Zavon Collins, where would you guess he was playing in the NFL?
Speaker 5: Yeah, in almost six five, two sixty, Yeah, Yeah, I'd say he's defensive end or an outside linebacker.
Speaker 2: Yeh, that's exactly right, Paully. That's what everybody would say, anyone who knows the NFL. You'd look at a body, you'd look at a type like Zavon Collins, and you'd say, that guy's playing on the edge. It was an anomaly that he was a Mike linebacker. When you think about it, you just don't get a lot of tall inside Mike linebackers. Now, Brian Urlacker was a big, tall Mike linebacker. Okay, Jack Lambert, you can go all the way, go all the way back to Jack Lambert's and the Pittsburgh Steelers that were winning Super Bowls. He was. He was a complete freak anomaly at six ' four for an inside linebacker right now, but you don't see a lot of them. They're typically lowered to the ground, and that's because you don't want to have somebody that's easy to get under as your mike linebacker when you're six ' five as tall as Zavian Collins. Now, all of a sudden, he's going to be out on the edge where his skills set I think really really benefits him. Now, can he learn the technique soon enough, PAULI to really make a difference on the edge. We're gonna see.
Speaker 5: And look, I can give you all these storylines that I can name names and position groups, but it always comes back to quarterback. So the number one storyline going into camp is going to be number one himself and Jonathan Ganning. Before kicking off a quick summer vacation, was asked about the outlook for Kyler Murray.
Speaker 8: Well, see long way to go, you know what I mean. I don't know if there's five or six weeks until we start, I think, or five and a half or whatever it is, But we'll take it day by day. And he's doing a good job improving his game every day in the training room, in the meeting rooms. He's out there. He's another one like Buddha. He asked a lot of questions, which is good.
Speaker 5: He's engaged, and look, we don't know. That's the honest answer. Could he be back right away in September? Sure, Could he be back in October? Absolutely, we just don't know. What we do know is when he gets back Wolf, this offense is going to look a lot different than the scheme he just ran the last four years.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about it, Bully, and that is That's why, once again, in a gross simplification of the truth, you're looking at a year that most people believe is going to be a rebuilding year for the Arizona Cardinals. Who knows, we've seen Brian Dabile, of course, have great success with the New York Giants during a rebuild, still getting him into the postseason. I don't think there's a lot of people out there that look at the Arizona Cardinals and think they're going to win twelve games, ten games get into the postseason. I don't think there's a lot of analysts that are out there that look at the Arizona Cardinals and think they're going to win a lot. But what they are going to do is start building this team from the ground up once again. In this this to me is so important for Kyler Murray that he learns how to play from under center. I've talked about it for a long long time. Paully, He's got to evolve that part of his game. Kenny do it, Kenny do it. That's what this season is really gonna be about. In a gross simplification of the truth.
Speaker 5: Cole McCoy, when asked about the offense just a couple of weeks ago, said quote, it's all new. Everybody has gone back to school. So yeah, that peaked Oark curiosity. There's no question about that. Hey, it's season six, episode four. The Cardinals Flight Plan available now on the Cardinals YouTube page. Go to YouTube dot com slash a Z Cardinals go behind the scenes with Paris Johnson at the draft, Mantia support in the war room. That's worth the price of admission alone, The Cardinals rookies at a Dbacks game, and more, YouTube dot com slash a Z Cardinals. All Right, Kyle Soley, rookie linebacker at ASU Scottsdale. Guy, what does it mean to play for the hometown team? That is next? And the big Red Rage wasented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 9: A pump fake by Martinez Now throws across the middle intercept it. Kyle Solely caught that one just off the turf and solely the Sun Devil's Senior captain mix up for the interception the first of the year for the Arizona State defense.
Speaker 5: The unmistakable voice of ASU Athletics Tim Healy, and that's sort of three time team captain at ASU sounds like I mean you talk about all Arizona from first team All State at Swarrow High School to ASU's leading tackler each of the last two years, to Arizona Cardinals rookie who joins US now on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. We say good evening. Kyle Solely is in studio and is rocking some Cardinals gear. Kyle, how are we doing it? And how did it feel? How did it feel to put that on for the first time?
Speaker 10: It was great, I think I said you know before, it was a surreal moment to put on the Cardinal Red. Growing up as a kid, I was obviously a fan, hometown guy through and through. I love all the hometown sports teams. So when I got to put on the Cardinal red in that jersey, it was a surreal moment. And you know, once you step on the grass, just right back to work. So it's a great opportunity. I'm excited.
Speaker 5: And your family was emotional as well. I remember you mentioned in.
Speaker 10: That absolutely absolutely, you know they love that I'm right down the street. They get to come to the practices, you know, hopefully close to the games, and it's just like I said, a dream come true and surreal moment for everyone in my family. And you know, if you're a hometown kid, you know what's better than playing for the hometown team.
Speaker 5: You know what was surreal for the media was when we realized you were nine when the Cardinals made the Super Bowl run. So that was a reality check for a lot of us around here. That's middle aged guys. So but what do you remember from the Super Bowl running and who was your guy? Did you have a favorite player back then?
Speaker 10: My favorite player was Fitzgerald for sure, And honestly, the memories from that game was just heart wrenching. I can't lie. I was actually watching it with my family at another family who was a Steelers fan, so it was one of those like everyone's cheering, I'm like heartbroken at James Harrison running back, you know, right, an interception one hundred yards. But you know, those memories stick with me forever.
Speaker 5: And did you ever ask your folks later, wait a minute, why did we watch Super Bowl forty three at the home of a Steelers family?
Speaker 10: What's I should have ran that question by them in the first place, But I think at that moment, I was just thinking about the free food and that's that's right.
Speaker 6: I did it.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: The trips and salsa was good, so you know, I mean so, so let me ask you this. You talked about, Okay, your hometown team, it's surreal, your family's emotional. But then not only that, but you got the call from the Cardinals from your position coach at ASU previously, Rob Rodriguez.
Speaker 10: Right, yep, yep, yep. A great relationship with him. Obviously was with him the last I believe it's three three to four years at Arizona State. I had a great relationship with him. You know, we worked closely together, so getting the call from him was actually a really special moment for me.
Speaker 5: And the connection also goes to the local pro day where he was already a member of the Cardinals' staff. In fact, defensive coordinator Nick Rawlis was talking about the benefit of that with Kyle at linebacker.
Speaker 7: We had the privilege of he was here at the local pro day, and so it was really good to be able to see him in person and work with him. You can undervalue that ability, that interaction of when you're on the field, right, And so not only did we get to see the skill set, the movement skills, but we also got to see kind of the leadership and the work ethic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, you know, the whole draft process, right, it's inaccurate at best. I mean, think about it, right, I mean the forty nine ers right now have the number three pick overall at quarterback and Trey Lance, but they're starting the last pick in the draft last year at brock Purty. Okay, so there's there's a high degree of difficulty in trying to forecast. What do you think Rob Rodriguez in particular knows about your game that maybe the thirty one other teams just can't because they never coached you before.
Speaker 10: Well, he's seen me work, like you know, Coach Rolla said, And I think you know, when you see me work, it stands out for me that the opportunity was just important that they got to see, you know, like they said, the skill set on the field, and just how I am around my teammates. I'm the type of guy. I'm not going to be loud and flashy, but I like to get the work in, you know. I think that's what separates myself and I enjoy being around my teammates and my guys, and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help the team win, and I think that's most important.
Speaker 5: Cardinals rookie Kyle Solely is our guest here in the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. Inside linebacker the position itself, how would you describe it to me? It's like you're at the epicenter of all the chaos, right. It's almost like like a game of paintball. Right, they say go and it's just mayhem everywhere. That's what I think of when I watch from the sideline and I see inside linebacker.
Speaker 10: You have to be versatile, you have to have a high football IQ. I think people often forget it's the quarterback of the defense. You've got to be smart, and you know, you got to one get your guys up front of line, and you got to know what's going on in the back end with the dB. So you're kind of that middle point, that mesh point, you know, between the defense and you kind of wear the cap you like I said, quarterback of the defense. You got to know everything that's going on, and you must be versatile and you got to have a hard nose for the football.
Speaker 5: Because all these talent evaluators they want to measure what they can measure, right, and your speed and all these three cone.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 5: But how many times do you make a play just based on your brain sh.
Speaker 6: I would say probably more times than not.
Speaker 10: It allows you to get the first step, and if you can anticipate plays, that'll help you know, jump a snap, maybe jump a route. There's a lot of different things that it can help you with. And that just comes with film study. And like I said, football IQ, and I.
Speaker 5: Realized Nolan's and pads. All right, there's no full contact, full speed football yet. But what have you picked up just watching Kaizer White for example, a veteran in the mic linebacker.
Speaker 10: Just how to go about your business as a professional. I think that's been the biggest thing for me, how to go out and work every day and work at the highest level and just be efficient with your work. And you know, it's a great, great guy to look after, a great person to model your game after. And everything I can do to learn from Kay's year, it's been.
Speaker 6: It's been a great opportunity for me as.
Speaker 5: You got older and you're here in the valley. Which inside linebackers did you admire or follow? Because when I see fifty eight on an inside linebacker, I can't help thinking about Carlos Stansby.
Speaker 6: He was a great one.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 10: I will say, yeah, you know, I watched a lot of a lot of games with him at linebacker in at fifty A and I'll be sure to you know, wear that with pride and you know, thinking about him. But I would say Luke Keigley was a big, big one. And then also my previous you know, linebacker coach Arizona State, Antonio Pierce, watched a lot of his tape growing up. So those are those are some guys I modeled my game after.
Speaker 5: Those guys could play, no doubt about it. So has Jonathan Gann. It held you accountable yet and I bring it up because Zavion told a story. He walks into the first team meeting, He's got his little bowl eggs, he's eating his breakfast, and then he got put on blast for a multitasking. We've had other guys. We had count ingram in here last week said, oh yeah, JG's yelled to me a couple of times and you know, or tested me. How about you? How's that going so far?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I've definitely been tested. I think it was the second meeting we had, and you know, he just brought up something in the playbook and kind of caught me on the spot in the moment. He kind of got me, and I'm not gonna lie. It was a learning moment for me, kind of one of those rookie moments. I always be on your toes and I'll never forget it. So he definitely got me.
Speaker 5: What does that do to the vibe in a team meeting when everyone has to be on point right?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it just keeps everyone on their toes and you understand, you know, you're in a professional environment, you're at work. When you're in the building, it's time to go. And I appreciate that aspect from him and you know, it's a good thing for rookies to learn quickly.
Speaker 5: How often have you heard the two words winning behavior from Jonathan Gannet Because I know there's not a ton you can accomplish this time of year, but it really seems like he's got a few checkpoints in terms of establishing a culture in this building.
Speaker 10: I've heard it from him quite a bit, but honestly, I think that's the best way to describe what he wants, winning behavior, And I think, you know, I've never heard that from a coach before, but I think that's the correct term for it. You know, there's certain things, little details that all add up to becoming winning behavior, and that's something I'll take with me probably for the rest of my life.
Speaker 6: And I appreciate that point by him.
Speaker 5: Kyle Solely is our guest Cardinals rookie inside linebacker. So next stop is Cardinals training camp. In the preseason games, what are you most curious to find out about the NFL game itself once the full pads go on.
Speaker 10: I'm curious to test the physicality, you know, playing linebacker, it's obviously a physical position. When we're running around with jerseys and helmets, you can't really feel that physicality yet, so once we put the pads on, I'm really curious to see how that is. And you know, just play football at the end of the day, That's what it comes down to, and I'm just excited to get out there on the grass and play football.
Speaker 5: What do you hope you've shown the coaches so far?
Speaker 10: Versatility? I hope that I showed I do have like you and I can manage the huddle. Playing Mike linebacker, it's important to manage the huddle and be able to make the correct checks and be on your toes at all times because you know, if he wants to go hurry up, you got to be ready and get your guys lined up because you know you're responsible for ten other teammates.
Speaker 6: So that's important.
Speaker 5: When you say versatility, you're talking about playing the mic, playing the will or are you talking run versus pass and being a three down.
Speaker 6: Backer run versus pass?
Speaker 10: Ability to you know, cover down outside the box, play in the box. You know, just be versatile on the field. Don't allow teams to kind of iso you one on one.
Speaker 5: What's your confidence level like right now? Have you seen enough to know, okay, I can hang in this league?
Speaker 10: I don't think I've seen enough. You know, I still have a lot to learn, and every day I try to keep that mindset. And you know, we haven't played a full game yet, so I don't even think I'm near, you know, to the point where like, okay, I feel like I'm I made it. So just every day being a learner and just trying to do the best I can to get better.
Speaker 6: And I think that's the most important.
Speaker 5: About this playbook. If there was a game tomorrow, could you call this defense?
Speaker 6: I feel confident in that. I do feel really confident.
Speaker 5: And you did that your last two or three years a day issue.
Speaker 10: Honestly, four the last four years, last four years for sure.
Speaker 5: Because I'm seeing here you played fifty three games over five years.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I mean that's almost exactly for example, what a rock party.
Speaker 6: Played, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, you could say that.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's got to be a level of preparation that you feel that maybe a lot of rookies don't.
Speaker 6: You could say that.
Speaker 10: Honestly, my mindset just going into everything has just always stemmed from, you know, what I learned in college in terms of just know every position, because if you know every position, you're gonna feel more comfortable out there, and you're gonna be able to not only help yourself, but help your teammates if they you know, once the bolts start flying. So I try to take that mindset every day when I come into work and just grow from that.
Speaker 5: So players, no players, Kyle Solis, our guest Cardinals rookie. When you watch either side of the ball, is there a certain player who stands out? You're like, man, that guy's inn NFL dude, that guy has skills. Is there anybody's really stood out to you?
Speaker 10: I would say Hollywood Brown with his quickness and his quick twitch. That's one guy for sure. I would also say Michael Wilson, the rookie. He's been making plays and practice that. You know, I'm saying, you know, he's catching my eye and I'm tipping my cap to him. So, but I think once we put the pads on, it's going to start. You know, the real players will show up.
Speaker 5: Then you're as an Arizona guy. When you heard the rookies, like in early May say, man, it's hot out here, did you laugh like laugh and knowing laugh Like, oh man, you guys have no idea.
Speaker 10: I t I try my best to warn that, you know, I tell of listen, you can't over a hydrate here.
Speaker 6: It's not possible.
Speaker 10: So just make sure if you think you're drinking enough, you're having a little bit more.
Speaker 6: It's good.
Speaker 5: Well, look, it's been an introduction in the NFL. You've also had some field trips right the bowling you have then go cards.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we've had some fun and we've also got to see other people's skill set off the fields.
Speaker 5: We look forward to it, Kyle, next stop training. Can't appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Back right after this on the Big Red.
Speaker 11: Rage back to Pasco's Dalton. On first down buyers over the middle, the ball is tipped into the air.
Speaker 4: To pick off of the thirty yard line running left, and it's funny Marco Wilson to the ted.
Speaker 5: He high steps and then he doesn't flip into the.
Speaker 4: Ends up of the touchdown. Marco Wilson with a pick six Pavia Cardinals take the lane twenty to fourteen.
Speaker 2: Boy, did you see Marco Wilson elevate on that dude that touchdown slip.
Speaker 11: What was kind of funny is they're showing the camerangle of Andy Dalton being upset and in the background you can see Wilson launch it into the air like it's just part of the background.
Speaker 6: It looks quite humorous.
Speaker 5: That was an all time meme, no doubt about it. You guys are reacting in real time. Dave pash Ron Woefully. It's a big red rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford special. Thanks Kyle Solely, Cardinals rookie linebacker. He has been held accountable by Jonathan Gannon. Imagine that. So that was interesting. But Wolf, if I if you had to give me one memory something that's really just indelible in your memory bank from last season, wouldn't it have to be that TV low angle shot of Andy Dalton after he threw the pick six and then behind him is an airborne Marco Wilson baulting into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Paully, there's no tough about it. It's one of the best. It was turned into a meme. Yes, it was turned into a meme. Man, It was just the best one that I think I've ever seen. The look on Andy Dalton's face walking off with the flipping Marco Wilson behind him. Man, you just can't make that up ball that was.
Speaker 5: So good, Just stupid athleticism by Marco Wilson. You realize you're in the NFL when you see something like that, right, not just the play, but the finish. So Jonathan Gannon, speaking of the Cardinals new head coach, he has a lot of history coaching defensive backs and one of the big questions right now, what does that cornerback depth chart look like? We figure Marco Wilson is we don't know for sure. As for expectations of the position group, here's the head coach.
Speaker 2: We ask a.
Speaker 8: Lot of our corners, you know, with the different coverage structures that we play and things like that, like the days of having a corner that doesn't know what's going on, that's not here.
Speaker 5: No, you got to prove you can be trusted, especially as a cornerback, because a blown coverage guess what, it's not like a defensive lineman maybe blowing an assignment and there's a big hole in the B gap. No, you blow an assignment as a corner and guess what, it's most likely six points. So A, you have to be trusted by the coaches and then b guess what you're gonna have to show them you can play. So how do you read the room, that cornerback room as we go into campbell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, Paul, I think it does. It all starts with Marco Wilson, of course, and this guy, I really do believe he's going to take a huge step forward a couple of seasons now. And I remember going into training camp last training camp, the coaching staff was looking at Marco Wilson with a johndice that were waiting for him to actually make that leap, take that next step forward, and I think he did ultimately during that season. Marco Wilson's got good size. He's five to eleven. It's not like Marco Wilson is a five to nine corner out there. He's five eleven. He's got good size, the athleticism is there, He's got everything you need to be a very very good corner in this league. PAULI. That's why I think it's important Marco Wilson from day one of training camp takes that next step forward and truly does become CB one.
Speaker 5: And you know what, that's a great recollection because you're right by the end of camp it was Byron Murphy one. Antonio Hamilton two. Yes, Antonio Hamilton had the tragic cooking accident where he poured hot grease on his feet and he missed the first month of the season. So Marco Wilson as a default starter, really got those reps early, and to your point, he made progress throughout the season. But Antonio Hamilton is back on this roster. A sobering moment for Antonio he shared with the media when he realized he's older than his defensive coordinator. He's thirty one. Nick Rollis is about to turn thirty and speaking of coaching, here's Antonio Hamilton, the veteran corner.
Speaker 12: It's a little different, but they have such a great understanding of it, and I think that they can tell you what it is. The reason why we're doing it is just to give you that full fledged understanding of just not running cover three like you understand the principles of why we're running and doing it like this.
Speaker 5: A lot of those guys in that defensive backfield Wolf talking about how different it is, you know, Jalen Thompson said, in some ways, actually they're going to be allowed to play a little more free than under vance. Joseph which I found intriguing. He didn't really define it exactly, but I do think this coaching seven both sides of the ball is going to try and simplify things a little bit, at least out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Well. It's interesting because when you listen to JG and what he said right there, he's talking about corner. It's not a position any longer that you can just put somebody out there that has great athleticism. It used to be a situation where you know a guy and I'm just being as open and transparent as I can here, but it used to be a situation stick a guy out there. He really didn't have to know a whole lot of what you were doing. It was basically cover the guy in front of you. Right right there, you got him in man. Cover. We're playing an awful lot of man cover him in man. That's your job, that's your assignment. Right there, You've got the number one receiver. Depending on the formation, of course, and depending on the personnel grouping, you've got the number one receiver. Cover them. That's what you do right there. It's not like that anymore, and it's not a surprise with all the advanced schemes that the NFL have gone to now and what they're running. It's not like they've got brand new schemes. Paul. You heard him mentioned Cover three right there, that's three deep four underneath rush four. That is really taken over the National Football League. It's incredible to see the way that it has taken over. And everyone's got their own rules as to how and why you jump a route or jump a receiver based on that Cover three scheme. See, that's something that Bill Belichick has done for years. Cover two, Polly, everybody runs Cover two. You got two safeties high, you got five underneath, you rush for right there. Everybody runs it. What makes it different is what you tell the guys that are in the zone rooms what they should be looking for, and how they react to what they're looking for. That's what makes it different. And Bill Belichick was a master at making his Cover two different from somebody else's Cover two. Well, the same thing I think is going to apply here. The Cardinals are going to play man cover, there's no doubt about that. But this Cover three scheme as well is a big part of what they do. Now, how you teach it, that's JG. His fingerprints are all over.
Speaker 5: That and ultimately who plays it in that secondary Marco Wilson, Antonio Hamilton, Christian Matthew, the seventh rounder last year, a couple of veteran journeymen Nate Harriston, Rashot Fenn, a couple of rookies, Key Troll. Clark was impressed so far. You figured Garrett Williams the third round, when he's back from the knee injury, he'll be in the mix. But you're right, you get to week one against Washington, for example, are you sending Marco Wilson to shadow and travel with Pro Bowl receiver Terry McLaurin. Don't know, not exactly sure. They'll probably mix up coverage is what a lot of teams do. But Jonathan gan and again has a lot of experience with this position group, and he was just asked, all right, what do the cornerbacks need to have in your defense?
Speaker 8: So they got to be smart, know what's going on, and know why calls are being called, where's the stress and the strength of each call, and then be able to line up and deny the ball on the highway, which that's a lonely world out there.
Speaker 5: A couple of weeks ago, well, me and you were able to talk to Manti asifor New Cardinals GM, and we asked him about a couple of position groups where maybe there's a lot to be determined. Cornerback might be atop that power pole, and he said, well, look, we're throwing numbers at it right now, and sure enough, I just counted up. There are a dozen cornerbacks on the roster coming out of mandatory mini camp. So, man, the competition is on and the back end of that room could be anybody at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pauly, you know, it's also interesting there are some corners that are still out there as free agents. Paul. There are some guys that are still Marcus Peters. Does that peak your interest?
Speaker 5: Right, So you've been doing some homework, You've been looking at who's out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I still, Paul, I still have this feeling. Bryce Callahan is also out there. Now. I understand that he's thirty one years old. I understand Marcus Peters is thirty years old. But these are guys that were starters in the National Football League and injuries have really beat down Bryce Callahan a little bit right here, and you could say the same for Marcus Peters. But I think their experience would make them very very appealing, and I think you could also get them at a very good rate. You could get them and it wouldn't break the bank. That would be something that I would keep my ant kind of open to do. I think the Arizona Cardinals need to go out and get these guys. No, I don't think they need to do that. But once again, I think that this roster is going to be very, very fluid, and I also think JG is going to open the entire roster up to competition.
Speaker 5: You know, the other thing that maniac Safort told us was that he's maybe not as apt to sign someone right before camp or early in camp as to wait for the waiver claims at the end of NFL training camps where teams set their final fifty three and some experienced corners might hit the open market. Now it might be one of those guys you just cited, and then that could be logical. Here's the other thing. You have a joint practice set, in fact, two of them against the Vikings. So if you get a sense of your corners against the Vikings receivers led by Justin Jefferson, you go, you know what we need a need. We have a need, we need some experience in here. And by the way, the Minnesota Vikings announced that on August twenty third, twenty four joint practices, those are going to be open to the public. So Wolf, it is like, so on right, everybody's gonna be watching Cardinals and Vikings in a joint practice.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, right there. So I'm thinking that the twenty third is a Wednesday, is it not?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, the twenty third, Polly, that's gonna be the greasy one. That's gonna be the one right there that I unless I miss my guest here, that is going to be a Wednesday. That probably is gonna be full pads, full gear right there. If you are somebody who lives up there in Minnesota, if you are somebody that loves the NFL, if you want to take a summer trip, Okay, if you are living here in Arizona and you want to take a summer trip, I would say go up to Minnesota and watch that practice, because that's gonna be the physical one. That's gonna be the greasy one. And what makes it even better with the news you just said it's going to be open to the public, and that means everybody's gonna be watching every individual drill, not just the guy your room, not just the guys that are at your position, but everybody is going to be watching your one on one as you're trying to beat a corner on a slam.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we'll be coming from Larry's place henor Larry Fitzgerald's lakehouse. Hopefully we'll be hanging out at Larry's with his cruise right over to the joint practice. We'll see by the way, Cardinals Camp first open practice July twenty seventh, First padded practice July thirty first. That should be like an official state holiday, the first padded practice July thirty first, everybody gets the afternoon off. Hey team up with the Cardinals and State Farm by donating a backpack filled with school supplies for students and need in the Tempe Elementary School District. Support the virtual Back to School Drive from now through June twenty third. That's Asycardinals dot Com slash Back to School, Asycardinals dot Com slash back the number two school. All right, we'll come back and talk about an all timer in Cardinals history when we return on the Big Red Rage. This is everything that you hoped it was going to be.
Speaker 1: You look out here at University of Phoenix Stadium and just see the passion and to feel the energy that is in this building right now. This is what playoff football is all about at.
Speaker 2: The beginning of the year.
Speaker 5: This is what everybody signs up for.
Speaker 13: I mean, sixteen regular season games with the promise to get to the playoffs. And it's just one of those things that I mean, you suck it up, you play off adrenaline and hopefully we'll be sitting on a parade float in downtown Phoenix.
Speaker 5: That is Clarkhagans, heck of a player, all time personality in recent Cardinals history, a guy who knew a thing or two about the NFL postseason, won oring two thousand and five with the Pittsburgh Steelers when he started opposite his college teammate at Colorado State, Joey Porter for the Steelers. Think about that, and then think about the news we received this week as we wrap with this edition to the Big Red Rage presented by Santan ford In Gilbert Paul kelvc Ron Wolfley, and I know I speak for both of us when we were shocked to learn that Clark Hagens that were now speaking of him in the past tense. He has passed away aged forty six. There was no cause of death given, and it was a thirteen year career and so many memories right the four seasons he spent with the Cardinals Wolf, including one edition of this show that honestly might have been the funniest top to bottom edition of The Big Red Rage ever. It was two thousand and eight early that season with bertrand Bury and Clark Hags was so hilarious during that show and so vibrant is a personality. I mean, the energy was just just palpable every time he ran into.
Speaker 2: Him, No no doubt about it, Paulie. It truly was who Clark Hagen's was and what he was all about. And you say memories, Paulie, I think of man, I think of what a good football player. He was not only a funny individual and a very smart guy, but a very good football player. He didn't lose a lot of physical battles on the football. He didn't and those that he he did lose, he walked through. For the most part. He was very very tough, very resilient. He enjoyed the physicality of the game as well, and just a smart guy overall. Clark haagens it's hard for me, Paulie. I know it is for you as well to imagine him no longer with us at the age of forty six.
Speaker 5: We're gonna go back into the archives and here's an episode of Wired All Access. He was wearing a microphone. It was against Seattle. It was two thousand and nine. I think you can really hear how Clarkhagan's was equal parts intense and equal parts entertaining. I'm having some fun.
Speaker 14: It's all about playing, tackling, hitting people, just being loud and crazy.
Speaker 5: Hey, let's go.
Speaker 6: You just gotta be ready always.
Speaker 11: Castlebec takes five step drop.
Speaker 4: He's in trouble and the ball comes out as he got sacked and the Cardinals have it robles on it.
Speaker 5: Twenty three. D oh, no, let's go, let's stop, let's go out.
Speaker 14: Well, I just came off the corner and hassled back, held the ball and I saw I think it was Colais fall, so I tried to just go airborne to do the superfly. Jimmy Snook at old school.
Speaker 2: W w e, oh, little children, we're playing against little children.
Speaker 6: We're fast.
Speaker 14: Everybody's athletic, and we just like to fly around to the ball. No work, no work, pushing three kaboc and cost some turnovers, get some sacks, some interceptions.
Speaker 2: Oh no, let's go.
Speaker 14: Just keep playing like just wild frenzy and just have a lot of fun doing it. You've been wired into Clark Haigns.
Speaker 5: Just being down on the sideline during his career. I was furred up just watching Clark Kagans. He was in phenomenal shape. Used to crush camelback. I mean just he would beat the entire team up there when they'd have the rookies take that hike with old strength, quotes John Lott. And then his story is like the one he told on the Big Red Rage, that one time Wolf about Halloween. He loved Halloween, loved the candy, loved dressing up. Told the story in Pittsburgh. He got the cops called on him once because he dressed up in a real Spider Man outfit and then started running and vaulting through people's backyards.
Speaker 2: Who's this guy, you know, Pully? And so it's amazing you say that because Clark Haagen's was all of six four. He was six ' four he was two hundred and forty five pounds. I think Paully somewhere in there. But this guy had to have what five percent body fat on him.
Speaker 5: Believable.
Speaker 2: So when you say when you say you know he loved Halloween, which he did, love to dress up, loved doing it. But when you say Spider Man, he was in the Spider Man outfit, to me, it makes me laugh because Clark could have he pulled that off. Hundred and forty five pounds. He pulled that off because he didn't have a rite a fat on him.
Speaker 5: The two thousand and eight year, by the way, he suffered that foot injury in mid December, but he's still such a vocal leader. As the Cardinals made that Super Bowl run, he wound up his career forty six and a half career sacks, thirteen year career, still the all time sack leader in Colorado state history. Once again, Clark Kagan's passes away at the age of forty six, much too soon, and no cause of death has been given yet. We're gonna go in the next three weeks, by the way, Wolf into the Cardinals archives. We're gonna have some special Cardinals folk tales editions of The Big Red Rage. In order, we're gonna have Thanks Coach, right, Dennis Green and the famous rant Monday night meltdown, legendary locker. This is can't miss radio Pat Tillman, the story of Pat Tillman. And we've all seen the statue out of the stadium. But the Cardinals have another museum piece and it's locker. His locker was saved from the wrecking ball, literally, and that is inside Cardinals headquarters. We'll talk all about that. And then the Miracle in the Desert. This is where the Cardinals knocked the Vikings from the playoffs. We all remember that resulted in losing the number one pick in the two thousand and four draft. But all this Shakespearean tragedy of Miracle in the Desert, the Cardinals knocking the Vikings out of the playoffs the next three weeks on the Big Red Rage.
Speaker 2: No, that sounds really really good, right there, boy. The Thanks Coach that is that's got my attention immediately right there, Pauli, and you bring up Tilman's locker. That that right there saved by our own Jim Omahundro, the best game day producer in the history of mankind, and it's incredible to hear that story. I think a lot of people listening right now you want to hear that folk tale because it specifically is hardcore history with the Arizona Cardinals, and it deals with Pat Tillman.
Speaker 5: And especially now being on the verge of training camp because Wolf we were there when Pat Tillman was a seventh round pick. Even he admitted that he thinks the Cardinals drafted him just for the mark purposes because he was such a personality, such a celebrity, a star at Arizona State. He was the Pack ten defensive player of the year. He was a media darling, right, and so he came out and he earned himself a spot out of the I mean, he was a long shot to make that roster as a tweener, and not only did he make the roster, but he was an integral part of a team that ended up winning its first playoff game in nearly a half century.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got to remember, too, here's a guy that was poised to sign his second contract. Here's a guy that was succeeding at the NFL level, a guy that, yeah, didn't come in with a lot of fanfare. It was local, of course because of ASU, but nationally didn't come in with a lot of fanfare and suddenly just became a legendary figure to the entire country, not just Arizona, but the entire country and Pat Tillman. Paully, we had the benefit of actually getting to know Pat Tillman a little bit and it left an indelible mark on his ball, if I believe no doubt.
Speaker 5: By the way, happy birthday today to Kurt Warner. It is his birthday. And as we one last thought, I'm gonna give you wolf as we go into training camp twenty twenty three. You know your former coach Bill Belichick and his famous phrase no days off. Yes, I think by the time we're done with camp and we get the final fifty three, the phrase is going to be no allegiances. I'm real curious to see who makes this team and who doesn't make this team because you have new decision makers and the head coach, Jonathan Gannon and the GM moniasin port no allegiances. What does that mean once they get going on July twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Boy, that means to me, Paully, somebody can make a team and practice and how you practice.
Speaker 5: Interesting single game tickets on sale now. Get Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Special thanks as always Kyle Soley, Cardinals rookie inside linebacker, Jim Omahundra Executive producer, Cody Fincher, Technical director on Paul calveyc Ron Wolfley. You can now wear your cowboy hat for the next three weeks. Although I will say Dion Sanders looks better in a cowboy hat than you. I'm sorry. That'll do it for the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Number one til.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts.
Speaker 5: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 3: Presentation of Arizona Cardinals Football Club.