Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in. We'll driving the great episode two fifty six to not quite get Away Day, but it's close to it. We've got this show, the TV Show, potentially some announcements at Fox the TV Show tomorrow, and then I'm off for the next ten days after that before we get into full blown football season, and so a lot to do today, Gonna do it fast. There's a really tough NFL injury, a big NFL trade last night. We're gonna give some coaches some advice, as we have in the past. We'll open up the coaching hotline all of that, but first let me tell you what missed the cut. Not on today's show is Micah Parson's playing running back at practice, even though I thought that was fun. Josh Allen calls Zen's his secret trick. Oh, Josh, let me tell you not to give the bills some added advice, but pop on a couple stage one nicotine patches buddy before a game. You will focus and feel alive the way you never have. And Jim Harbaugh says at thanks but no thanks to Colin Kaepernick the quarterback, but is open to Colin Kaepernick the coach. Demonse, good to see you, And I'm now gonna tell you don't know the story I'm about to tell. It's not about you. I always feel bad when I tell Demanse a story that's about him that he doesn't know. I'm gonna tell that's not what's happening here. But I think you'll like this story. So eight years ago I went to literally like eight years almost to the day, I went to Syracuse and did a talk. So that was before first things first existed, when I was just filling in and going on Collins Show. I went to Syracuse and it wasn't like a big formal thing. Like in a theater. It was at the radio station that formed my career War and they announced it to the kids who were working at WAR that they could come and you know, I basically talk and answer questions whatever it was. And one of the people there was ty Butler, who if you know Demons, you've met him. He was a student there. He ended up working with me on What's Right with Nick Wright, the radio show on Mad Dogs Sports Radio. And now tye is a local New York sports talk star. He works for ESPN New York. He does stuff on TV. He and I have become friends. And you know, Syracuse and War is you know, kind of not It's not the only place, but it is the place for young aspiring sportscasters. And during the Olympics, I'm watching Noah Eagle and I've been I've obviously been aware of Noah for years. In Noah's dad is Iron Eagle, who was a Syracuse legend and a great broadcast for forty years or thirty years. I don't want to date him. And Noah did the Clippers job and has gotten some big gigs and was doing the Olympics with Dwayne Wade. But that's all I had thought of when I saw Noah Eagle over the years was us as a young kid. And to me, there is a real Joe Buck Jack Buck possibility of And this is a high compliment. Jack Buck was one of the greatest broadcasters ever. His son Joe, Joe might not like me saying this, but I believe has surpassed him. Where Joe is now maybe the greatest him costas obviously Al Michael's play by play guy ever, where the dad was a legend and the son maybe overtook him. It's too early to say that's going to happen with Noah and I an Eagle, but after his performance in these Olympics, it's on the board, his kids twenty seven years old and crushed it met the moment consistently on the men's and women's basketball and his profile is only going to grow. And his dad is a legend, a Hall of Fame broadcaster, and maybe he'll surpass it. Uh So here's the reason I'm telling the story right now. And I said the eight years ago thing. During the Olympics, something occurred to me. I was like, did I ever talk to Noah Egle Because I was like, wait, he was probably at Syracuse when I did that talk, and so I went to my email and typed into the search bar Noah Eagle, and this came up, and I want to read it to the audience. Mister Wright. My name is Noah Eagle, and I was amongst the crowd and new house last night to listen to you speak. I enjoyed your stories and great piece of advice. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer afterward to come up and introduce and formally introduced myself. Oh that's funny, it says formerly, he meant formally. I work at both War and Z eighty nine, and to hear you talk about how both played such a vital role in your future success was a reminder how great Syracuse is. I'm a big fan of yours and love what you've been doing at Fox. I look forward to seeing what the future as in store for your career. I was honored to be able to hear you speak and hope to meet you one day in person, And thankfully, because I'm not good at email, I did respond. It was like a couple weeks later I responded, it was nice to meet you, appreciate the note. Keep in touch, but that was crazy to me, Like it's a crazy to me for a couple of reasons. One is I'm now officially like the old guy. Like this guy who's calling the Olympics heard was at a talk I gave when he was in college. It also speaks to his meteoric rise that he was sending me that email on August thirty first, twenty sixteen, and on August tenth, twenty twenty four, he's calling the gold medal game for the men's Olympic team. I mean, it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: At that time.
Speaker 4: And had no idea that you guys had had a conversation previously.
Speaker 3: I guess via email, but.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no, I it was. Here's the thing, he and I have never spoken since then. That's our only interaction. But I saw that and it made me feel old. It also made me want to shout out Syracuse and Z eighty nine and wa R. And it was really cool and so inspiring. I mean, it's really cool. Well, I mean, listen his dad's iron eagle. I think he had plenty of inspiration separate from it, but it all, it's the It's just it was really I couldn't believe when I saw that and on Tuesday, I when I said, remind me telling Noah Eagle story, that's the one that I wanted to tell. So shout out to him. Good for him, Uh, good for great you know, a great young broadcaster, and he is. You know, Joe Joe Buck talked about this because there's a lot of broadcasters that got their foot in the door because their dad was a great broadcaster. And then the question is, you know, do you kick the door open? How well do you do? Joe obviously is the gold standard of that. But Noah's doing a hell of a job. All right, let's talk football here to Monsey and to some sad news.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Minnesota's had a pretty crummy off season. Uh jj McCarthy is out for the year, I think with a tormniskus and Darnld's officially the starter. Jordan Addison was carted off at practice yesterday. Minnesota was already plus one thousand to win the division before this. What do you think their chances are at winning anything at this point? And should the TA should have? Should the Vice can just go full out tank and trade justin Jefferson?
Speaker 2: So maybe the Chiefs No, they no, Okay, they're not going to trade Justin Jefferson. Uh and they listen, they this is brutal for them because it so I couldn't believe this fact. But then I thought about it, I'm like, oh, I guess it kind of makes sense. JJ McCarthy is going to be the first quarterback drafted in the first round in the common Draft era, which means since nineteen sixty seven, So we're talking about more than fifty five years to miss his entire rookie season with injury without ever playing a single snap. So you might say, well, that's crazy, And then I thought about it. I'm like, well, that would mean you would have to get injured before Week one, which is what happened to him. So it is relative. We've had guys sit their whole rookie season. We've had guys like Anthony Richardson play briefly, get hurt and then miss time. He's the first guy first round quarterback ever to miss his entire rookie no, so, but that was that was not his rooki year. That was he got injured in the seton in it in year two and he got there. And there have been plenty of guys to play zero snaps their rookie year, but not because of injury. It was because of a Mahomes Alex Smith situation. But even in that situation, Mahomes played the final game of that season. So it is it is brutal for Minnesota for this season. The bright side is twofold one is the torn meniscus is a tricky one because there's two procedures you can do and it's counterintuitive as far as the impact it has and how it works. If you tear your meniscus, you can do a procedure where they just trim the meniscus, basically shorten it, and you can be back in a month. The other option they have is to repair the meniscus, fix the tear, and you're out four to six months. So why wouldn't they just trim it. The reason you choose to repair it and not just trim it is because the trim can shorten your career and lead to longer term knee issues. Dwayne Wade is a guy who early in his basketball career suffered a torn meniscus. They trimmed it, and he would tell you that's one of the reasons that eight nine years later he had all those knee issues and now he's calling the Olympics alongside Noah Eagle. What Lebron his draft mate play in the Olympics when d Wade's career ended years ago. So the I was worried that the Vikings were going to and JJ was going to opt to do the trim because man, I don't want to miss this full season. You do a trim, I could be back out there by week two or three. They did the judicious smart thing. But it's just so whack for them that he's now out for the year.
Speaker 3: There and go ahead, go ahead, Sorry, no, I was just go ahead and they're over under his two and a half. Now do you think that's well, it's a little crazy.
Speaker 2: No, I listen, I know the producers put that in there. That's impossible that that's true. Hey, that's not your mistake. There's no chance that's accurate. And if they if the producers show me that that is correct, I will put fifty thousand dollars on it before the end of the podcast that that's the that's their hold on that's their division wins. So they were the producers wrong twice that there's zero two and a half division wins. You only get six so yeah too. No, no, no, no, I honestly I doubt it changed. They're over under uh much because a rookie JJ McCarthy versus Sam Darnold, who's just gonna be bad. But you know, it's a seven year vet. They they're over under before the injury was seven and a half. My guess is it's still right around that still. So I don't actually think it impacts their ability. It lowers their ceiling this year because maybe JJ was gonna light the world on fire, and I did love his performance in that preseason game, but it it does not. It doesn't really make them, you know, the worst team in football this season anything like that. Uh, it's just a bummer because you wanted him to take his lumps this season. You wanted him, you wanted him to learn from this season. Now, one bright side is that I think JJ what JJ was going to be if he played Week one. The second youngest quarterback to ever start a game in the NFL. The youngest was actually Darnold. He's twenty one years old, Okay, so even with him missing this year, he's going to start his career at twenty two years old. Compare that to, for example, Michael Pinnix, who is twenty four. Bo Knicks who turns twenty five this season or at the very end of this season. So he's still so young that I think he'll be okay. It's just if you're a Viking fan, You've had such a sad offseason. You had a play a player die tragically in a car accident, you had two other corners injured, the Addison injury. Here is the one thing I'm gonna say about carted off and training camp. That can be a misleading thing, and people covering these teams need to need to do a better job of clarifying. So, for example, yesterday I'm driving into work and I see Chiefs right tackle Juwan Taylor carted off the field, and I'm like, you've gotta be kidding me. But what happened was he tweaked his shoulder and he rode off the field in the front seat of the golf cart. So carted off in the regulars season means devastating, awful injury. Carted off in preseason can mean that. It can also mean they have carts all over the place, and if a guy gets dinged, he rides in the cart. You know what, I mean to the training room, and so it's so, but that Addison got it. You know, Addison got in trouble this offseason and then also got injured, So it hasn't it obviously has been a brutal offseason for the Vikings, and you feel for him. I do think their their course of action here was the smart one, and I'm glad this is the path that they took. I just think if you're a Vikings fan, now you don't have much reason to care about this season.
Speaker 3: All right, let's just je.
Speaker 2: Did you say that they just signed him? They just signed him. There's first of all, they can't trade him. Second of all, it the the the reason you would trade great players is if you don't have the draft capital to move up to get your franchise quarterback. They think they have their franchise quarterback in JJ. So no, it's just kind of a you know, hold in place season and then you move on. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, So Jalen Hurts is not throwing an interception in training camp. Oh well, some may say that's good. You think that it's a problem. I think you think that maybe Jalen Hurts isn't taken enough chances or maybe there's a problem with that Eagles defense.
Speaker 3: So here, what is it here?
Speaker 2: All right? Listen, I understand I'm gonna come across as a total hater here, but I just know I'm right. This is the comp that Wilds used and then he was too cowardly to do it on the air, but he did it off the air, And so now I'm gonna quote him was you don't want to hang out with someone that is when you go to dinner, they're going to the bathroom three times because they're blowing lines of coke. And you don't want to go to someone that when you hang out with them, when they go to dinner, they ask the waiter to tell them every item in every dish because they can't have gluten or sugar or wheat, and they don't drink coffee and any of it. Those two extremes both will ruin your night. So here's my point. You don't want a guy throwing a pick every day at training camp, and you don't want a guy who's thrown none at training camp. Again, I don't think it's everything, but I don't think it's nothing. And again people can make fun of me for this. They asked me on the show what's the right amount of training camp interceptions? And I said, I don't know, probably how many mahomes is thrown whatever, however many he's thrown is probably the right amount. I think we're taking a few internet hits. So let's take a Wick break, come back and give some coaches some advice. We'll do that next What's Right? Welcome back in What's Driving? Nick Right? Apologize for those slight technical difficulties to monsday. Before we get to our coaches corner or coaches hotline, I should say, uh, let's keep the show going talking little packers Texans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yesterday on your show you said that Green Bay or Houston is bound to have a letdown season. So which team are you going to lean towards and what will influence your decision on that?
Speaker 2: So I don't know yet, but I just know that those two. So let's go back two years ago. Okay, two years ago the two teams that I guess we got to go back three years ago, but just follow me. Three years ago. The Lions and Jags were bad, bad teams, but they one of them chained. They both changed quarterbacks, they changed coaches, and there was you know, that's what the franchise had hoped for. But then those seasons they won like two or three games each of them, maybe the Lions won four. The Jags obviously fire their coach, the Lions don't, and the next year those two teams kind of came out of nowhere. Both came on strong at the end of the season. The Lions end up winning their final game of the year against Green Bay, but still missing the playoffs. The Jags surge into the playoffs win a playoff game that was them two years ago. And both of them came into last season as trendy popular picks, the Lions and the Jags. Young quarterback in Jacksonville, you know, kind of quarterback on a second chance, not necessarily young in Detroit, but both of those teams were the trendy. They were too popular to even be called sleepers. People really believed in them. And one of them lived up to all those expectations. In Detroit won game the first game of the year against Kansas City. They were, you know, putting Marquis Spots got to the NFC Championship game. The other one the Jags ended up, I think because Trevor got hurt. But whatever, having a very disappointing season, falling short of expectations. The reason I tell that story is the Jags Texan I'm sorry, the Jags Lions last year remind me a lot, not even because they're both from the NFC North and the AFC South of the Packers Texans. This year teams that two years ago we would have thought were, you know, in the kind of no man's land rebuilding figuring it out. Last year. Both came on very strong at the end of the year, played their best football after not being very good early in the year. At the end of the year, one playoff games, and both of them are considered kind of fringe Super Bowl contenders. This year, I'm here to tell you NFL history tells us one of those two teams is going to disappoint because progression in this league is not linear. It's not the NBA, where it's like you're awful, you get to five hundred, you finally make the playoffs, you finally go on a playoff run, and then you can win a championship. In the NFL, progression is more like you go up, take a couple steps back, go up, go up again, step back. That's how it is historically for players and for teams, and for the.
Speaker 3: Packers anticks for these not the bost.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly. I just think one of these teams, I don't think. I think these two teams are a little too trendy, and we are a little too focused on the last thing we saw from them rather than the entirety of what we saw from them. The Packers are considered have a lot, a lot of hype for a team that through fifteen weeks last year was six and eight, six and eight, and then they win their final three games, they blow out the Cowboys, they're in great position in round two, or seemingly great position, and then lose, and now everyone believes in them. The Texans are going for it, adding Digs, adding Danell Hunter, adding Joe Mixon, and I get that, and I respect it. Point where I am willing and we'll see when we come back from vacation and we do our official picks and predictions and bets all of that, which of these two teams I land on. The point I'm making demands is, if NFL history is our guide, one of these two teams is going to fall woefully short of expectations. And I I right now am leaning. I think the Texans are better than the Packers, but I think the Texans are more likely to be the team that deals with that because I think the Texans the Packers don't have to deal with the first place schedule the Texans do. The Texans are in the AFC and as good as much as I like CJ and Demico, the Texans this year, while the schedule starts off relatively soft, the end of the year I think is brutal and I could see I could see this going sideways on them, but I'm not sure because I think CJ is awesome and I love their receiver core, and there's a lot to like about the team in.
Speaker 4: The locker room as well. Now who knows what that with that effect affect.
Speaker 2: That could be correct and that could be combustible, so we'll see. I just I think there is this time of year nobody wants to pick an actual sleeper. They want to pick a team that is a trendy pick and call it a sleeper like this would not be my pick, but an actual sleeper would be. I think Seattle is going to be dangerous. I think Washington is going to be dangerous. I think the the Raiders are going to be dangerous. That's an actual sleeper. The Packers and Texans are a couple standard deviations away from sleeper. They are trendy picks. All right, let's go to you want to say something I see. I don't think they're I don't think they're a sleeper super Bowl team. I think they're by the odds. I think they're a fringe super Bowl team. But maybe I'm wrong. All right, let's go hard. Let's go to the holdouts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the holdouts are continuing. We got Brandon Ayuk.
Speaker 4: We don't know if you're staying in San Francisco or going to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: There's no movement for CD.
Speaker 4: Weirdly on Hassan Reddick has no connection with the Jets and is not playing. So when we look back at this, which holdout do you think will end up hurting their team the most?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I think CD is gonna end up with the Cowboys. I don't understand what they're doing. It could hurt him in week one, but he'll be fine. I thought Ayuk was a Steeler a week ago. So if Ayuk stays, then I think they're fine there. Okay, if they end up trading him, obviously, it's devastating. The holdout that was not mentioned here that I think could be the most important is Trent Williams with the Niners. He's the best player on their team. He is the only guy you really trust on their offensive line, and he's old, and so him missing all of camp if that leads to another injury. He also wants upon a time in Washington held out for like half the season, so he has shown he's one of the only guys in the league who has shown I'm willing to miss games, and so that would that's that has not gotten enough coverage. The Hassan Reddick thing is the flashing red light siren for multiple reasons. One, the Jets need him. As good as the Jets defense was last year, they had one guy with at least eight sacks, Bryce Huff. He's gone to the Eagles. The Eagles signed him because they were trading Hassan Reddick, so it's a position of need for the Jets. They lost Huff, they spent a first round pick on Will McDonald last year, who has not popped at least didn't last year, and Reddick doesn't want to play for them. But the other reason it's a flashing red or it's a red flag is because it shows total organizational incompetence. Like Matthew Judon yesterday got traded to the Falcons. Why because he wanted a new contract the Patriots didn't want to give him. You know what, I am one hundred percent certain on the Falcons have worked out a contract with Matthew Judin to where he'll be happy, because that's what organizations that know what they're doing do. They don't trade for a player who's unhappy about a contract without working out a new deal and then act shocked he's unhappy about a contract so they need him on the field and it shows organizational incompetence. Go ahead, Demantsey.
Speaker 4: I mean, at least those guys at least they didn't have to at least they hadn't played a season with Hassan Redick. Yet I still think the CD Lamb one is the worst of the three.
Speaker 3: If he does end up not playing, what's gonna you know, what's gonna happen to that playing? Right?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 4: And then yes, but but what does it say, like you know what, CD, you're playing with me at this point, like you're going on you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Nobody appreciates CD more than me. It's like, what are you talking? Just just pay me?
Speaker 2: Oh well, listen, I think it's dumb, and I totally agree with you, But I think all feelings will be healed when they give him four years, one hundred and thirty million dollars, which I'll go ahead and plant my flag on that right now. I think that's what he's gonna get, four years, one thirty with seventy five guaranteed and so so that'll but it still could lead to a slow starter soft tissue injuries because of the lack of training. I get that, but I don't think there's any chance he actually misses time. All right, let's go to our game, demands the coaching hotline.
Speaker 3: Coaching hotline.
Speaker 4: All right, So coaches around the NFL are paying attention to you.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're about to put me in the room first. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So coaches around the NFL are paying attention to you, not because of your world renowned clock management skills, but because of your revolutionary run the ball on second and seven approach at NCAA twenty five.
Speaker 3: So are you officially playing now?
Speaker 2: Oh? I? Oh? Not only am I playing? So yeah, the franchise, we retired it. We did ten solid years at Syracuse. We won two national championships, we had three number one recruiting classes, and my work there was done. So now I've actually started playing the game, and I'm here to tell you I'm cooking. I'm here to tell you that that I am the no. It's all online. I'm playing, and I am confident enough, and I'm justifying how often I'm playing by saying it's helping me learn about the college football rosters headed into the season because this new gun has the real ratings, the real names, all of it, which means every game I use a different team. So I've played forty games and I've used forty different teams. I started with all the Tier one teams. Now I've used all the Tier two teams. Now I'm making my way through the Tier three teams. And I'm here to tell you if you're a starting quarterback on one of the teams I pick, and you're slow and there is an accurate, low awareness, but very fast freshman deep on the depth chart, you're getting benched, buddy, because I am out here running the speed option and the read option so option, like I'm Georgia Tech. I am out here just putting speed on the field, running the damn ball, running the damn ball, and then chucking it deep and frustrating people. Yesterday I had this guy in the torture chamber because here's the thing. Yesterday I played a game before I went to work, so this usually I play when I get home from work, but yesterday I had all my stuff done early, and it was like ten to twenty and I was the only one at home. I'm like, I'm getting a game, in which means now I'm playing. Either now I'm playing. If it's an adult, it probably means he doesn't have a job, because it's ten twenty in the afternoon and we're playing, or ten twenty the morning and we're playing in Cuba. And this guy was so mad at the defensive coverages and disguises I was throwing at him, and he kept saying into the mic, you just stay in that cover. You're just in cover two man. Get out of cover two man. But I was never in cover two man. I am just in the absolute torture chamber. And listen, I only score like thirteen points a game. I'm out here kicking field goals demanday, I'm punning on fourth and media. I am, well, yeah, you got it, you gotta. I'm using third down as just to give up down to center the ball to make sure I'm in good field goal position for your I am playing the most conservative brand of video game football anyone's ever seen, and nobody can deal with me. I mean, I just keep now again, the way it works, you have to win enough to get to the level of the actual great players. But I have rapidly ascended the ranks. I won the quote national championship in whatever the second easiest difficulty is. I in my ten games, I did so well. Yeah freshmen, right, So now I'm I'm currently undefeated in the sophomore division. So I guess I haven't played. I've played almost thirty games, okay, and I'm just out here cooking, and so eventually I'm sure I'm going to I'm going to play people that are really, really good. But these these.
Speaker 3: Kids, you should play me.
Speaker 4: They I've played like like maybe sixteen games and used Texas in every single one of them, so I'd be using.
Speaker 2: Texas, so you should. So you so, but the Texas is excellent, and Quinn your is a good passer, but he's not mobile. The team you should try if you want a team that has great players and the and a good quarterback, but also he can scoot. Georgia is no George's quarter Alabama, Alabama Jalen Milrow. Yeah. The other thing I'll tell you right now is the second fastest quarterback in the entire game is Syracuse's third string kids at speed? Oh my goodness, folks, get mad. I placed. So I played with Syracuse a few times. Exit's my school, and I'm here to tell you man. They're like, oh yeah, like they're Ohio State, and then they see they're playing a Tier three Syracuse. They're all excited, and they've got a great tight end Aronde Gadson Junior and this quarterback. And I'm just out here running the option, running the option. You're ready for it, You're ready for it. And then boom Gadson over the middle, and then running the option, running the option. Oh yeah, oh I'm out. Yeah. I love this game. I missed this game so much, and so all right, sorry coaches, so oh the reason you even brought this up is because I said to coach Mangini, I now have a newfound respect for running the ball on first and ten, for running the ball on second and seven, for making the defense respect the run to open up my passing options. And so Coach Manginie's been trying to convince me that for years. But now that I'm in it, now that i'm.
Speaker 3: Really you didn't always agree with run the ball on second and seven.
Speaker 2: Strategy, I get very frustrated. Basically, let me just tell you something in video games. Maybe I was on with coach about real football, and he knows he's watched enough Chiefs games with me that basically, every time the Chiefs run the ball, I get mad. Let's just let Patrick do it. Just leave it, leave the game in Patrick's hands. That's what I want, but I do understand it. Okay, let's go to our coaching hotline. Sorry, that's probably longer than people wanted or needed on n C Double eight, but I'm here to tell you I love the game. I missed it so much, and I'm so glad it's back.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I'm glad you're having Bob's So yeah, since the hot line is blinking, we've i mean, since the demand is so high, We've started a hotline. So new head coaches get sixty seconds of your time for you to iron them straight. First off, you got Jim Harbaugh. He's been away from the NFL for nearly a decade and needs to be caught up to speed.
Speaker 3: What's your advice to Jim Harball? All right?
Speaker 2: Advice Jim Harbaugh is very simple, which is stick with what got you there. There's gonna be a lot of external pressure. You have justin Herbert. He has this cannon. He's Herbert's dealing with Planner Fascia, a planner for Situs injury. Was Planner Fascio. Instead of drafting Neighbors at number five, you drafted Joel. You're in a division where none of the teams, the Chiefs included, have great run defenses. You hired Greg Roman. You want to the ball, keep running the ball and Bill and don't do what the previous regime did there. And I think, by the way, he's gonna take all this advice and try to microwave it. Look at it as this year we're gonna get back to respectability. Next year we're gonna expect to be a playoff team, and the year after we're gonna try to compete with the Chiefs of the division. That's exactly what he's going to do, and that'd be my advice. I don't think he really needs advice. I think he's doing it the smart way and that's what they're gonna do. Next.
Speaker 3: Take it.
Speaker 4: Next is Raheem Morris with the Falcons. He's asking to do a better job than Arthur Smith. Doesn't seem too hard. What's your advice for Raheem Morris?
Speaker 2: So I listen, there is going to be a lot of focus on Oh my god, finally Kyle Pitts and Drake London can get the ball. And again, this is gonna sound very old school of me. However, even with the addition of Matthew Judhan on defense, the Falcons are going to have one of the worst defenses in football now. Raheem is a great defensive mind and will be able to coach them up to a degree, but they don't have enough talent, which means they can't be getting in shootouts. The most important player on your team needs to be Bjean Robinson. He was my pick last year for Offensive Player of the Year. Before the year, if you remember, I still think he is a superstar. I think he might leave this season as the best running back in football and then get Kyle Pitts back re engaged via Kirk Cousins. But you don't want to get in shootouts with that defense. I think Raheem knows this.
Speaker 4: Next, Yes, sir, all right, dan Quinn is back as a head coach, this time it's in Washington.
Speaker 3: Good news for him.
Speaker 4: There's nothing he can do that's worse than blowing the twenty eight to three lead in.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl. What's your advice for dan Quinn?
Speaker 2: Keep man, do not do not allow designed quarterback runs to be a big part of the first two months of your team. I understand that Jaden is great at that, and I understand that that is going to be some of one of Jaden's first instincts will be I'm faster than these guys. Until you have seen for months of practice that he knows how to protect himself. Tell him, man, you are sliding, you are getting out of bounds, and you are running as a last resort. I watched him in college take some of the most brutal hits people talk about Lamar, him and Lamar. Lamar is much thicker previously was, but also Lamar is the best I've ever seen at not letting people square him up. Don't let Jaden get lit up early, even if it puts a ceiling on your offense early. This is a long term thing. And so I like Jayden's talent. He is so thin and takes such big hits that until he bulks up and learns how to avoid those hits, that would be my biggest focus.
Speaker 3: Next, we just blessed Dan Quinn with ten extra seconds.
Speaker 4: Mao and Mike McDonald aren't only replacing legendary and coaches, they're also they also need your help.
Speaker 3: What's your advice for Girard Mayo and Mike McDonald.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we need sixty seconds here because it's for two of them. For Girard Mayo, man, just try to get through this this season. Your nobody wants to come play for you. You just trade it away your best defensive player and it would uh Honestly, if I knew Gerard, what I would tell him was, man, just make sure you have a good relationship with Craft's kid, because it seems like he's running the show and this is going to be a brutal season, a brutal season. The while I didn't believe the over under for the Vikings could be set at two and a half. The Patriots it could have been. It's not. I think it's four and a half. And it's not a bad thing if Drake May doesn't play for a little bit till you get your offensive line figured out. Like the Patriots are, you know, really looking like for the second straight year they're going to be a bottom two team in the NFL. For Mike McDonald, it's a different story, Mike McDonald, man, I saw you with listen. Rokwan Smith is a great player, Kyle Hamilton is a great player. The rest of those players on the Ravens defense last year are not blue chippers, and you turned them into one of the three best defenses in football. I wonder what you can do with that Seattle defense with Weatherspoon. It doesn't have as much you know, it doesn't have Kyle Hamilton Roqwan Smith duo, but you have Weatherspoon, you have Rik wooland so you think your corners are taken care of. I think that division is a little more open than other people do. I think the Rams are good, I think the Niners are good. I don't think either one of them are great, and so I think if Gino can get back to the geno he was two years ago, and if you allow say, you know what, He's gonna throw some picks, but I'm okay with that. We have two good wide receivers, maybe three with jsn Lockett and Metcalf, chuck it deep. Take chances on offense, and trust your own coaching acumen to raise the level of the defense. The Seahawks could be a sneaky team. So that's the advice I would give those guys, was that the least one.
Speaker 4: Dave Canals is in for quite the challenge in Carolina, say the best for last. What is your advice for Dave Canalis?
Speaker 2: Well, this year is about one thing and one thing only. Can you get Bryce Young to a level where you feel like you don't have to start over at quarterback again? You were smart and that you spent money on interior offensive lineman this offseason, which you have to do because you have a short quarterback. He can't have pressure up the middle. It's just what you have to do and pour as much resources as possible into that side of the ball. By the way, Baker's not very tall. You got a great season out of Baker and see if at the end of the year, you believe Bryce can tap back into the player he was at Alabama. I am highly skeptical because of the size. But this year is about nothing other than getting an answer about Bryce Young by the end of the season. I think he knows that. And also just steer clear of the owner. Is the least contact you can have with that.
Speaker 3: Guy, the better.
Speaker 2: That's the advice I would give him.
Speaker 3: All right, Is that it? Yeah? I hope he takes it. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: My coaching consultancy business is just, I mean absolutely cooking. I mean, I know the first couple guys I gave pretty obvious advice too. That was perfect advice to everyone. We answer some of your listener questions. Next, What's right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right, let's answer some listener questions Demansea.
Speaker 4: Nick Wright muse. Does Lebron get a legacy spot on Team USA? I'll to ROSSI for LA twenty eight, especially if he's still a Laker.
Speaker 2: Oh listen, if he's still in the league in four years, Yeah, he'll get a spot. Yeah, I mean that I don't and the fact that it's in LA, maybe he would want one. I think if he let me put it like this, if he wants one, I think he gets one. I don't know that he'll want who knows what he's doing in four years, but yeah, I think he'd get one in four years if he wants one.
Speaker 4: Next corn Beer. Is the Ravens super Bowl window closed if they don't win it this year?
Speaker 2: No, listen, this is something Joe Burrow did have right when Joe was asked a year or two ago about the Bengals super Bowl window and he was like, our super Bowl windows my whole career, I do. If you have a great quarterback, your super Bowl window is never fully closed. It's yeah, I mean it was a great quote by Joe, And it has different levels of openness, you know what I mean. Like right now, the Bills, for instance, are not in a rebuild, but they're in a retool, clean up the books, tweaking situation, so their window is a little more closed than it was two years ago, but it's still open the Ravens. The question for the Ravens is you know, going to be at some point if they keep coming close and falling short, are they going to say John Harbaugh's message is growing stale? I don't think they're close to that point out of the year they had last year, but the that it can just be tough for a team, even if it's not even if the coach is great if well, yeah, I mean Dallas, but I mean McCarthy's not been there nearly as long as Harball. But it can just when this is the only coach these guys have had with this team and you keep coming short, like that could happen to mc What I'm describing about a couple of years from now, potentially happening to Harball, could happen this year with McDermott. Where if the Bill's losing Round one or two again this year, even if they don't think McDermott did a bad job, they might just be like, we need a new messenger, you know what I mean, Like it's just the that's kind of what happened to Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll's very old, but that's what happened to Pete Carroll last year.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, Niko Draganich, is Herbert under any pressure this year or is the lack of weapons gonna be gonna be the excuse now that he has Harball? What needs to happen for Herbert to lose the elite status.
Speaker 2: So listen, I don't think Herbert's an elite quarterback. I think he's got elite talent, but he needs to put together a start to finish elite season at this point in his career for him to be in that top top tier, well, the second tier. Top tier is mahomes by himself. For him to be in that second tier, he's not there. I do think he has some built in excuse excuses as far as they have one of the worst wide receiver rooms in the league, and you lose Keenan, you lose Mike Williams. But I do think here's where the pressure is amped up on Herbert. No one's going to blame coaching the way they have in years past with Anthony Lynn and with Brandon Staley. That's not going to be the case. So now it will fall on Herbert to a degree. But his talent is so eye popping that there's going to be a lot of people that just I mean, there are smart football people that swear justin Herbert's better than Joe Burrow. I disagree with them, but those people that they talk about his ability to make all the throws, his size, his strength, all those things arm power. I disagree with them, but that's where the listener's talking about his quote elite status.
Speaker 3: Next, Scott Frasier, what very highly rated team falls on its face and what bad teams actually play well and are a threat for a division or a wildcard.
Speaker 2: So that is a great question, Scott, And that is that exact question is going to be the premise of a huge amount of our gambling show, cause it's really asking which teams are overvalued which teams are undervalued. So I'm not going to answer that right now for two reasons. One is I don't want to answer it in sixty second where I'm must to spend twenty minutes on it. And also, pardon me, I haven't done really the requisite study yet to know which I fully one hundred percent believe and I know where I'm leaning, but I haven't done my full Warren Sharp preview, Football Outsiders preview all they're not football outsiders anymore, but Aaron Schatz's preview. All that stuff that'll dive into on vacation and when we get back.
Speaker 4: Next, Doctor Octagon win is the game Mplin show. Is Demons going to be betting again. This cold streak last year paid for my Christmas in vacation. Oh on the bets O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Gambling Show comes back. First day, the Day of Chiefs Ravens. Three weeks from today, the Gambling Show comes back. So I mean, yeah, that's going to be great.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm going to do. Doctor Arctagon.
Speaker 2: I think maybe it's down the two teams. Yeah it was, but you were too. We'll get it together, don't worry, all right, last.
Speaker 4: Question, uhriez Nick. My friends and I were arguing about this yesterday in poker. Should a straight beat a flush? I know it doesn't, but should it?
Speaker 2: No, it shouldn't. So the reason it's very very simple. What beats one in poker is just based on what's more probable than the next. So in a five card poker hand, you're guaranteed to at least have high card. That's why that's the worst hand you can have. It's just have high card. The next most likely thing you're to have is one pair. The next most likely is two pair, than three of a kind, then a straight, than a flush, then a full house, than four of a kind than a straight flush. So if you actually did that the math on how likely is a straight versus how likely is a flush? You are about twice as likely to get a straight than you are to get a flush, which is why a straight doesn't beat a flush, because they're easier to come by. So no, it shouldn't. That's the very very simple explanation. It's just a probabilities thing, and so the least probable is the most valuable. The most probable is the least value, and it is inversely. The strength of hand is inverse first directly correlated to its probability. That's it. I hope that was a nice little math and poker lesson at the end of the pod. On that note, speaking of gambling, guess what I will be doing one week from today. Really, if I do the time zone change, it might be one week from this very moment. Yes, I will be demanse. Do you want to guess or do you want me to tell you?
Speaker 3: Playing poker in Vegas? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well no, you're close, but no, I might be playing poker, it might be blackjack, it might be craps. It will not be in Vegas. I will be wearing a tuxedo a la James Bond, and I will be gambling at Casino Monte Carlo in my I have booked my dad. We're staying in Monico. Is the size of Manhattan? If that it's basically well yeah, no, I mean, I'm gonna be in Europe the whole time. So but we are in we're from We are at some point going from the south of France up to Milan, and en route you pass through a country that really shouldn't be a country. It's this tiny place that's just like a tax haven for the richest people in the world. That's some royal family set up called Monaco, and they have the maybe the greatest casino in the world there. You have to wear black tie. I don't know what the steaks are, probably higher than I'm totally comfortable gambling, but I'm doing it, and so your mother and I for what, We're only gonna be there one day. It's we're just passing through so we can get dressed to the nines and go gamble at Casino Monte Carlo. I can't wait. It'll be one week Thursdays when I'm gonna be there. It'll be one week from right now. Oh my goodness, my heart's racing just thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, leave with some Monico money.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, that's a great point. Uh yeah, me too. But you know what you pay for the experiences, that's what you do. Oh my goodness, gracious, it's gonna be great. All right, I'll see you guys on TV in a few hours. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget. We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're no to find you subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demands another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,