Speaker 1: One or two point seven Kiss FM. It's Ryan Seacrest with you. Thanks for having a son this morning. Going to bring in Jake Jillenhall here. Hey, hey there you are.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no worry. I've been like I've been like, I've been sitting here and I'm like, wait, how does this work?
Speaker 1: No, no problem? Are you mobile?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 3: I am sitting in a car, so let me just turn off the air.
Speaker 1: So you guys are you Are you actually driving yourself somewhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's weird. I'm I'm on my way to work. I'm at work, but I'm sitting in the car.
Speaker 1: This is this is perfect because this is how we like to think of people listening to the show. So, Jake, you're playing the role of a listener right now, which is a role you've never taken on before. I think, Jake Jillenholl with us.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for coming on. We were just talking about you earlier, and you know, with the roles that you take on. Sysney actually said something very funny, which was, I don't even know if I find know who Jake Gillenhall is, because every time he takes on a role it's like so mental and physical, you know exactly, Like that's a compliment.
Speaker 2: That is a couple and thank you. That's sweet.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that's the role of the actor, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean in a way.
Speaker 1: So who are you you would like to get to know Jake?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm an actor and I play different roles, but as a person, my name is Jake Gillenhall and I've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 1: And do you is this true? Then? Do you bake sourdough bread? Is that something that Jake Gillenhall does?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have been known to bake sourdough bread, which is not a common occurrence amongst those of us who have been through this period of time. I think sourdough bread baking has become popular, but I have continued.
Speaker 1: Through the fermented foods are a whole category of love for me.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, the smell, you know, the early stages of the smelling of a of a starter. There's nothing like it.
Speaker 1: So Jake is here, Guy Richie's the Covenant in theaters and thinking about this role and other roles that we were talking about a second ago, that you take on. These are these are not things where I would imagine you just kind of you show up and you do your work and then you can put it down. It seems very physically and mentally demanding for this role and a lot of the roles that you're well known for. Before you jump into something like this, what goes through your mind? Is there like a is there a last weekend of reality before something like this role sets in?
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny, this movie was a blast to make, so you know, I there are moments where I'm being sort of dragged across the desert by the guy who plays my interpreter because I get my carriage gets pretty injured. But you know, I shot that basically just you know, sitting in a cart, So that wasn't that difficult or laying there.
Speaker 2: But like we know, guy Ritchie who directed the movie, he.
Speaker 3: Barbecues every day, so he has a barbecue on set and so basically like we and we only had sixty pages of a script.
Speaker 2: We didn't have a full written script.
Speaker 3: So he would write as the days went on and we would all eat in the morning, like he'd make coffee at the barbecue in the morning. We talk about the scenes we're gonna do and then he would like cook throughout the day, so it wasn't really that tough.
Speaker 1: So you're playing Army Sergeant John Kinley and there's there's blood rolling down your forehead and you're smelling the aroma of hickory.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, that's a perfectly put Yes there is a scene. Yes, there's a scene where I get hit by the butt of a goud that I do bleed, and I am bleeding in some of it. But yeah, off screen when we finished, there was a lot of fun. I mean, guy Richie's you know, the guy Richie. We know he's blast, He's hilarious and and uh and I think that's the thing some people, And over the years I've learned has taken me a long time learn I think acting is somewhat of a ridiculous thing but also pretty incredible at the same time. You have to have an imagine to do it. Sometimes I've taken roles I played very seriously and dug in really deep and lived the life of the character and all that. But I've discovered that the person who I am, the person who I what I really love to do is use my imagination. So I love doing a scene and then being able to break from it and then have a good time after.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are moments that you you know, something's very emotional. Yeah, but generally yes, it should be fun.
Speaker 1: But tell us about this guy, because he's carrying a serious burden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I play. His name is John Kinley.
Speaker 3: He's a special Operations sergeant and his group is soldiers is tasked with finding munitions in Afghanistan and they struggle doing that, and early on in the movie, they lose their interpreter and he's assigned a new one, one he doesn't really like very much, and then they get into some trouble and then the two of them are left together and they have to sort of survive and the interpreter ends up saving his life. And in short, basically, after a very long journey of getting him John my character back to the States, he realizes his interpreter is still there, and so he goes back because of the burden that he feels for having his life saved and not being not feeling like he can really live his own life if he doesn't save the other person who saved his life.
Speaker 2: So he goes back and he.
Speaker 3: He goes through the journey of saving Ahmed, his interpreter and his family to bring them back to the to America and fulfill the promise of getting him the visa that all the interpreters were.
Speaker 1: Promised, right, and the promise, you know, not fulfilled. And it got me to thinking about you look at the news and I'm watching these drones getting citizens out of Sudan in convoys, and you just are wondering what's really going on and what promises are made that are not fulfilled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have an ethos. I think of no one left behind, you know, that is our ethos. And I think you know the relationship between interpreters all over the world world and the soldiers who you know, my one of my favorite lines in the movie is I say, so you're going to tell me? I say to him, like he helps me with some things, that you're going to tell me how to speak English? And I said, what are you here? You're here to translate? And he says, I'm not here to translate, I'm here to interpret. And I think it's it's about interpreting behavior, cultural behavior and helping and saving lives.
Speaker 2: You know, my good friend is a marine.
Speaker 3: He thought in Fallujah and his interpreter he says, he owes his life to He's since brought his interpreter's daughters to the States and they now work for New York City. And you know, I think there's this exchange between cultures. We all share a common humanity, you know, and I think it's it's hard to see that, but it is true. And that's what this movie is about, is the shared humanity two men from two completely different places, and the ethos that we have as a country, which is no one left behind.
Speaker 1: Guy Richie's The Covenant in theaters. Now, go see it, right, go see it on the VICTI.
Speaker 2: It's also really entertaining. I mean it is like an action movie, so I mean a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we like to call it an action parable because it's not like this like heavy.
Speaker 2: It's pretty.
Speaker 3: It's emotional because I think it leaves you feeling like the goodness in your own heart. You know.
Speaker 2: I believe like as Americans, you know, we are we're.
Speaker 3: Country made of heroes, you know, we really are, and and I think that is oftentimes reluctant heroes, but heroes nonetheless, you know. And it's a movie that reminds you of the good that America can do and can be and that's inspiring.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, you know you'll pay for your seat, but you'll only need the.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for calling, man, I know you said you're on your way to work. Are you doing another film? Now?
Speaker 2: I'm doing a show.
Speaker 3: I'm doing this Apple series called Presumed Innocent, which is an incredible cast and incredible group of people. So yeah, we're doing it right now.
Speaker 2: So I turn off my the I turn off the air in my car.
Speaker 1: So yeah, listening now, Thanks for calling, buddy, have a great day at work.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: A nice guy.
Speaker 1: Now I feel like I know him. I'm in love with him, I know, you know what I mean. Like that's that kind of yeah right, so down to earth, so down to earth. He also just seems like happy, go lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Those people, just like I liked hearing how He's like, yeah, I can do the serious thing, but then I can turn it off and you because that I don't know, we well, first of we can't do any of that. But like, if something happens emotionally, I can't just like flip the switch off, even if it's us talking about Ryan's roses. I'm like beat for two hours all right, so I gotta see that at the theater right now. Of course you're talking about baking sour dough bread. It's all I'm thinking about. What are you gonna put on it? I'm gonna put honey on it. That's I'm gonna put on it, fresh un money. Yeah, that's it. Well I could no, that's it right now, it's I'm gonna put on it. George Lopez is gonna be playing at the Greek this summer. Tickets and neck