Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Coley Witt, and today we have very special guest, comedian Tory Heart is in the building.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 3: How you doing good?
Speaker 1: I'm excited for you to feed me. I gotta check out your sat You were really funny. And guys, if we did have shoe cam, her shoes are like a game changer.
Speaker 3: I can lift it.
Speaker 2: Look, that's hilarious it is.
Speaker 3: Hey, can you see that? Look? I don't know if you can get the angle air cute?
Speaker 2: What are you I'm talking of?
Speaker 1: Because we were just so you guys know, I did try to preheat the grease today has smoked up the whole room if you can see a little bit of smoke.
Speaker 2: But what are you gonna have me eating today?
Speaker 3: Okay? So today I am just making my fried chicken wings, fried chicken wings. And we got some salad, which as you can see, is very basic. Yeah, into salad.
Speaker 1: And then you could go ahead and list off your ingredients for your dish for all the listeners.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all. So for the fried chicken we got, of course, can I go? Okay? So we got the chicken wings right here, all right. Then we got some buttermilk, some flour, of course, got the flour right here, bam. And then we got season ends. We got some lawery season salt. We got some onion powdered garlic powder, and I think this is pepper pepper, ye, yeah, and that's some pepper. It's pretty basic. Sometimes I use more ingredients, sometimes I don't, but fried chicken is pretty basic.
Speaker 1: And then you have a salad, which, by the way, I was like nibbling on your cucumbers and tomatoes. I was like, damn, I haven't had it, like usually have my salads pre made now right? Oh, Like damn, why don't I ever have.
Speaker 3: Whose like cutting stuff up? We're in a microwave age right now, so it's like everything's prepped for you, so I can understan.
Speaker 2: And these bag salads are really good nowadays.
Speaker 3: They really are.
Speaker 1: They really are, and they're like three dollars versus like piece mess. But you're a blue cheese girl, and I was confused by that. Why I'm gonna try it with you today. I don't remember the last time I had blue cheese, but I was like, I don't think I messed with blue cheese.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 2: I'm a ranch girl, but I was like blue cheese.
Speaker 3: Yes, I put blue cheese on my wings, my salads because so at one point I was doing Keto. So blue cheese is good for Keto when you're doing the Keto diet.
Speaker 2: Oh, difference between blue cheese and.
Speaker 3: Ranch, it's just it just goes more with like Keto type meals, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I guess I won't be Keto. I gotta lose a lot of weight, but I won't be Keto. So go ahead, step into the kitchen. Show us how you make your fried chicken. What you do first?
Speaker 2: All right? Us through it? What's the first thing? You got your chicken role?
Speaker 3: So what I'm gonna do is I'm season the chicken. I also season the flour, but I'm gonna start seasoning the chicken. And I don't measure nothing. When I feel like it's seasoned enough, I stop. That's how I usually work. So that's how my mother taught me. And I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. The last time you cook this was when.
Speaker 3: It's been a minute. So it's been a little minute.
Speaker 2: How often would you be doing fried chicken?
Speaker 3: I love fried chicken. So yeah, so now I just buy it usually, but probably three times a week.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, wow, three times a week back in a day or now back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I'm not. I'm not eating fried chicken three times a week now maybe twice, but that's hilarious. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you ask my daughter what does she want to eat, it'll be real chicken, not chicken nuggets, real.
Speaker 3: Chicken, real chicken. Does she like fried chicken?
Speaker 1: She does, Okay, she does, But it's just funny to hear because most people, if you're fast food on the road, you're gonna offer your kids chicken nuggets. She is very adamant about it being real chicken. Okay, it's three years old, real chicken from the car seat.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But all right, So you're seasoning up the meat with scarlet powder, onion powder, lais, yes, and pepper and pepper awesome.
Speaker 2: And then you haven't put the buttermilk in yet.
Speaker 3: Not yet. So I'm gonna put the butter milk, the buttermilk on here after I season it up a little bit. And then what I do is, after that, I'm gonna dip it in the flour. Well, I'm seasing the flour. So I'm gonna just it's okay gloves. Yeah, I'm what I do though, I can wipe it on here, right, you can, Okay?
Speaker 2: So I used the I was the we usually get send those home with you too.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, give you an extra one and that one I can put it in wash Ma, you're gonna get too, okay. So take me back to what was going on in the air of fried chicken and salads.
Speaker 3: Basically, I I was living in this part of North Philadelphia called Northern Liberties, and I was off at the community college which is CCP Meunie College, Philadelphia. I was also working, but I was doing telemarketing. It's not really much going on there. Yeah, And that's what was going on. And I was actually with my dude at the time. I was nineteen, about to be twenty, and I was young. We were together and so I was like, basically it was easy meals that I knew how to meet. So and we didn't have a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Oh, you guys were like, are you talking about you and Kevin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were living together.
Speaker 1: You guys were living together. This is right after college or right now, this is during college. This is during college yeah, during community college in Philadelphia. Yeah, so yeah, you guys were grinding together. There were you guys married yet?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, no, we were just like babies, just meeting and going to school before we dropped out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, going to school before you dropped out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we both dropped out.
Speaker 2: Yes, So you were working telemarketing. He was doing.
Speaker 3: He was working at a city a place called City Sports, and then he started getting into comedy because of community college. Of course we met at community college and then he got into comedy, and then from there I started working for the phone company. He started doing comedy. I just started going to sporting all the shows and began making more fried chicken.
Speaker 1: And then when does he's doing comedy? You're not yet doing comedy at that time or no.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, a lot of people don't know. I got class clown in high school. So I've always been doing comedy my whole life, like always making my family laugh, always watching it and studying it, probably since I was like nine years old, honestly, because my parents all they used to do is play Richard pryor Fred Stanford, Moms, maybe Dick Gregory, like they always were playing albums in the house. They would send me upstairs sometimes, or they would think that they sending me upstairs, and I would be at the top of the stairs listening to all of raunchy comedy, listening to all of that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, now when he's pursuing comedy and this is you have a passion for, I'm guessing at the time, So what is going on at the time when he's doing comedy and you're are you like playing? Are you just supportive girlfriend? Do you know what you want to do at that time?
Speaker 3: So, honestly, I was in school for acting and for theater and drama at the time. I did not realize that I was going to be doing comedy at all. I always was like into comedic movies, but didn't know that I would eventually be doing stand up. Actually, I didn't start stand up until I moved to La.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so you're going to school for acting. How's your acting doing while you're like struggling actress and he's struggling comedy. You guys have this commonality, I'm guessing funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Yeah, that's what drew us to each other to begin with in the first place, because we were always laughing and cracking on each other. Jawning, as they say in Philly, is when you constantly bagging somebody. So that's what I always did, practical joker, always doing stuff like that. So yeah, that's what pretty much probably why we ended up together in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so watching that grind close up, you still wanted to pursue it. Watching it close up, you get the front row seat of like, how hard it is?
Speaker 3: Right, I never thought it was hard. Okay, Yeah, of course, when you love something, the grind of it, it's just okay, this is what makes you better anyway. But if you love something, it's okay, this is just the journey. This is what it's going to be. And of course there was some days where you know, financially, but when you're having fun, I don't think it really matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to some degree.
Speaker 1: Now you guys, and you guys had a family too, Oh yeah, I mean, I mean you guys have a family.
Speaker 2: Sorry I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I mean we have ki who this little pivotal process of your story. So you guys are having a family. You guys have a family. Are you guys are still struggling?
Speaker 3: No, sir, So when we moved to California. He had got a deal, so by then it was a little less of a struggle.
Speaker 2: You guys didn't have kids yet.
Speaker 3: No, we didn't have kids yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you moved from Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from Philly to Callie together. We weren't married. And my family, of course, did not like that.
Speaker 2: But I was like, listen, and you guys dropped out of college to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we dropped out of We knew we wasn't supposed to be in school.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you guys packed up and moved. Oh, I know your family wasn't happy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they weren't. And especially I come from my family's very religious and my grandmother was a minister. Two uncles or ministers, three aunts ministers. So I was raised you don't move in together before marriage, and YadA ya, YadA. Of course I got all of that back last too.
Speaker 1: How long were you together before you guys decided to pack up?
Speaker 3: And it was about three and a half years. Three and a half years, so you four years? Actually, he gets it.
Speaker 2: What so he got holding.
Speaker 3: So back in the day, there was these things called holding deals, and so you would get holding deals. And this is when there was like big money like NBC ABC. So he got a holding deal and so we took some of that money to move out here. And then I also was working for Ladelphia, which is this company, and for me at that age back then, making that kind of money, it was a big deal. I had a four oh one K and so I dipped into my four oh one K and was like, Okay, I'm taking some of this money out and I'm using this to move. I actually packed up. I had a grand Cherokee at the time, cause I had a little bit of money back then. When I got turned twenty one, I got some case money. I was able to stack some of that and get a truck and that was actually the vehicle that drove him back and forth to a lot of comedy shows too, cause he didn't have a car. Wow. Yeah, So I had the car and it was fun though. It was just like it's my nature, Like my mom and dad has been married almost fifty five years.
Speaker 2: Wow, and so I.
Speaker 3: Watch how my mom holds the family down, and that's what she did, so I just get it naturally from her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at this time, your parents are in your ears? Are you starting again?
Speaker 2: His ears?
Speaker 1: Like yo, I moved across country where you know Bonnie and Clyde. Are you gonna put a ring on it? Does that start to hit in your head? Or is he feeling the pressure because now you guys are thugging it in LA? And do you have any friends also?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah? So we have been coming back and forth to LA for different things, visiting because he would get booked for jobs and so we were coming back and forth. So I had made friends. So when we got here, of course, and the comedy world is pretty small, you met people and stuff like that. But my family, no, because they know that I'm pretty independent too, and I don't believe you should pressure a man to do anything. You let a man do what a man wants to do. As soon as you try to pressure a man. No, you're not pressuring me in the you know what I'm saying? Like he was the one I honestly was low key. I don't know I want to get married, you know what I mean. I don't know if necessarily I want to be married, But one days we're going to get married. So we went and we got married in Vegas. It was we got married in Vegas. I should have known. Shit, wasn't gonna work? Because no, I'm just thinking that, and I think back, I'm laughing because why my bouquet was like this? The probably had three flowers in the bouquet?
Speaker 2: Was it like Elvis? Who did it? And all that?
Speaker 3: It wasn't Elvis, but it might as well have been Elvis. Okay. My wedding dress was from Express. Okay, first of all, I wasn't even gonna wear a wedding dress and my mom and was like, you need to go get a dress, and I was like do I have to?
Speaker 2: Like so what about it? At that?
Speaker 1: Looking back, you saw that set said it wasn't gona work. It wasn't the three flower bouquet.
Speaker 3: Looking in hindsight, I'm thinking like, damn, Okay, Tori, you should have been a little bit more. Wasn't a bigger wedding or But I just always maybe that's the clown in me. Maybe why I was thinking, we're just profession our love for each other, so that's really you know what I mean? Yeah, but no, it should have been done a little better.
Speaker 1: A lot of people spend a lot of money on on weddings. That usually doesn't dictate where it's out. It dictates some of the death you started.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 1: But okay, so you guys get married a couple of years into LA or.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we get married and about a year later. And this is what pissed me off too, because I didn't want kids until I was about thirty five, and then I ended up getting pregnant and I had just got a sports car. Okay, he had bought me a sports car for my birthday at BMW. Yeah. I dis was like my dream car and he got me my dream car is twenty six. And so I'm whipping around LA with my convertible Z four and the next thing I know, I'm pregnant and I'm like, can't fucking have no kids? In no Z four?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was.
Speaker 3: I lived at Sunset in Point Setias, so I was like a party girl. I'm still why I used to live over there right in your Bosston Nova.
Speaker 1: Yes, literally, I will walk to Boston over because you know they got them burgers TOI laur in the morning. But you walk to Running, Yeah, and you can walk to that was literally my cross streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I was more in Hollywood in Point Seddio, but the next street was Sunset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Okay, sunset in Points SETI okay, shout.
Speaker 2: Outs to that area. I loved living over there.
Speaker 3: But listen, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I am trying to tell me nothing.
Speaker 3: Like I belong in Hollywood. It is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so y'all was living over there and you start making a family, Now is there pressure? So now I'm guessing that you guys are in your early twenties, money is starting to roll. He's gifting cars. I mean, yeah, in my twenties, ain't no dude ever give me a car. I'd be lucky if they don't give me the bill at Burger King.
Speaker 3: I was a brat. I was a little bit of it. I also did spoiling too, you know what I'm saying. So it was reciprocal and he knew that was my dream car. I actually was getting my hair done and he pulled up to the hair salon with a red bow on it.
Speaker 2: It was like Jersey so cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So at the time, what are you doing while he's he's doing comedy? Right, this is obviously before soul Plane.
Speaker 3: I think this is yeah, this is around soul Plane era. I was actually training, so I was doing it and I had booked some jobs. I booked national commercials at and t Ford. Me and him had did a commercial together. No, we didn't do a commercial before that, just yet. But I had did Supermarket Sweep. Do you remember that show?
Speaker 2: I remember that?
Speaker 3: Okay, I had booked that. I booked this show on E called Screenplay. So I was working too, but really mainly training, like with how it's studying with Howard Fine and Leslie Kahns, Mike Pointer, doing everything that you should to be up on your craft so you can go and do auditions and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then but then the family comes along and then slow you down a little bit.
Speaker 3: It did. Yeah, when I got pregnant, it slowed me down a lot because I was used to always going out and hanging and that's what we did. We would go party a lot. When I got pregnant, it was just like damn, man, I can't drink either. I had to so up real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so change things.
Speaker 2: And then you had the kids are how far apart?
Speaker 3: So my daughter was born in two thousand and five, my son was born in two thousand and seven, so there's two and a half.
Speaker 2: So you were like really mominent.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, okay, okay, yeah, So all this is going on, you're still pursuing acting. At what point do you start to lean this. We're gonna risk Okay, y'all, we're gonna risk it. I already smoked up the kitchen. If you see me stuttering, it's because, okay, it's about to go down.
Speaker 3: Cucumbers, should we do this?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? Did you season all of them already?
Speaker 3: I seasoned? Yep, And this flower is seasoned. I probably put a little bit more seasoned in the flower.
Speaker 2: So do you have to heat up first?
Speaker 3: You have to heat it up?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. Okay, I want to hear this.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to capture just so your notry is when the I don't want to put myself in your shoes, but I definitely am. You know your ex husband, but you're now ex husband. He's pursuing this comedy. Yeah, becomes this massive success. You're taking care of home, you're holding down the family. You also have dreams. What I'm trying to capture is now with you pursuing comedy and you knowing that, hey, deep down I had this pursuit of comedy. Was there a part of you that was holding back that pursuit because one of you guys was already doing it.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 2: Or did you ever talk to him about it at all?
Speaker 3: Definitely did not talk to him about doing stand up as One day his friend Jay Okerson, his girlfriend tried it, and I overheard him saying, I wish she would ever try comedy. She better not, So I was like, oh, okay, but I've been. I was studying it with him. I was going to every comedy club. I would be in the back like, hey, you know writing stuff down, Oh, you should try it like this, and like not even realizing that's what I was doing.
Speaker 1: But that's a and that's a what you're talking about, and that's a real emotion and real life. Anybody in your shoes would have overheard that and been like, oh, because if I was, if I wanted to be an actress in my husband wanted to be an It's almost like the first one who says it own sword owns it in a way depending on your relationship, but most relationships, it does get a little weird if you're both pursuing the same exact goal.
Speaker 3: So I guess, like you ever see the show as miss marvelous. The life is marvelous, Mabel.
Speaker 2: I think that I didn't. I didn't see it, but I've heard.
Speaker 3: It, Okay. So it's funny because it's like that in a sense. And like I said, I didn't see stand up per se in my future. Always acting. Acting has been my passion since I was six years old. I told my mother I was going to be out in Hollywood acting, and I did school plays, I did church plays. That's what I always did. That's why we met in theater arts class in college. But stand Up I did watch it and was around it since I was a little kid too.
Speaker 1: So it was almost then you get heavily ingrained and it just being right. So from that point, at what point do you say, Okay, I'm gonna say I want to do this and say it openly because I'm sure it wasn't eating.
Speaker 2: At you a little bit like curiosity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're helping, You're helping in the behind the scenes, right, yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: And I would be watching and studying and I would see people doing certain I was like, I can do it, like I'm I'm ready, I want to do it, like I was itching for years to do it, and I already had stuff written down. I had a journal of jokes already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no one knows about this.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, that's a that's a reality. So then what happens when and you decide, okay, I'm coming. I had to use this, but for lack of a better word, they're coming out of the closet saying, hey, surprised, this is something I really want to.
Speaker 2: Do, because it takes a lot of balls to do too.
Speaker 1: In your situation, your situation, it has to be taken a lot of balls to be like, ah, I'm sorry, I'm gonna I'm gonna go after what I want.
Speaker 3: Balls and liquor.
Speaker 1: So take me back to that moment when you just you say, fuck it, I'm gonna I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: So my cousin Darnell at the time, he was living with us, and he knew he actually he learned about me wanting to do it, and so he was just like, Cuz, so when you're gonna do it, what are you waiting on? When there was the hold up? And I was like, clearly you know what the hold up is. But he's okay, so how much long are you gonna wait? And so we go down we found out about an open mic at the High Comedy Club in North Hollywood.
Speaker 2: And you guys are together? Are not together? When you decide we were together?
Speaker 3: He was off shooting a movie though in I think it was Prague or somewhere I can't remember. Yeah, And so I was just like, you know what.
Speaker 2: He's gone, I'm gonna do. Nobody's gonna know thing.
Speaker 3: But everybody knew. See, I didn't even realize how big we were, you know what I'm saying. I'm just still thinking, okay, girl from Philadelphia. Boy, I never really realized, like, no, your husband's in movies, he's done comedy specials, and you know what I'm saying. So I'm just thinking, Okay. To me, it's he's always just low keva bastard.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 3: First stage name was yeah, and I'm like, you gotta change that. So that's in my mind. It's just always that, you know. So I'm so when I get on stage, as soon as I get off stage, my phone's blowing up, and it was.
Speaker 1: It's in the comedy circle small So you're going up to I'm sure you some comedians that already knew him. I would imagine knew us because I remember I was always knew both of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was always with him. We were together everywhere, so everybody in Latare so it's Kevin Tori.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what are you thinking when you're blows up?
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking that. Somebody told him already, you know what I mean. So because I'm like all right, So he was like, did you just get on stage?
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and believe it or not, he said, why why are you doing stand up? I was like, because I've always wanted to do. I love it. This is what I'm going to do. And I said, it's going to also help me with my acting. It's going to help me with my confidence. That's another thing. If you can get on stage and perform, but it's going to boost your confidence.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And after about a month he became very supportive. Yeah, he became supportive. I opened up for him. A few times. He tested me. I'll say that we were in Tennessee because I had been asking like, when you're gonna let me? You don't want to get up and shows you let me get up? You're not ready, You're not I'm like, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: And now is he critiquing your jokes and like your mannerisms like a coach in the beginning.
Speaker 3: No, because I don't think he wanted to. I think he wanted me to just do it his journey. But a lot of his friends did a lot of his friends were like, tour, you're funny, you got some great premises, you got some great ideas. Let's let let me punched this up. I had a lot of people who was ready to like and willing to help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm distracting. You ain't cooking, I know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Is it hot?
Speaker 3: It's probably I'll give it like three more minutes or so.
Speaker 2: All right, you can turn the heat a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying not to put it too high.
Speaker 2: I know, because I put it all the way to a old boil. That's why I smoke and I can't even see. Just turn it up.
Speaker 3: I want to help you right there.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I think that's the right direction.
Speaker 3: Okay, I hope it is.
Speaker 2: Hold up here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the right direction. Yeah over here, cold driving.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're so he's supportive of this journey, and y'all still married, and now he's letting you open for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I opened for him a few times, and you know what, I'm not even gonna use the bag. I'm gonna just do it this way.
Speaker 2: That's how I do it at home.
Speaker 3: Just so yeah, I'm gonna just do it this way.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, Yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Could take the Tachi bag off our table now. Oh it's good, it's good, it's good. I'm gonna judge the hell out of your chicken, Tory. No, No, I met Tory a couple of times, just while she's frying this chicken. A couple times off aline and nothing but sweetness. From day one. You are doing community service at the I think a Christmas event, okay, and then the second time I saw you at Chris Spencer show, it's really sweet. Yeah, so I'm really happy to have you. So you're pursuing this comedy. You guys are still married and the relationship is fine. No pumping of the heads during this whole process. No uncomfortable because now you guys are pursuing almost the same goals.
Speaker 3: I think you know, there was a time where it started getting uncomfortable because he's used to me, like I was all about him. So sometimes when your mate, when you're used to your mate, being all about you, and then one day they're not. Because that's when I was like stepping into my own. I was like, okay, I gave you. I told him I was going to give him a son. I gave him his son, gave him his daughter.
Speaker 1: What had happened, you would have had another girl, You would have still given him a son.
Speaker 3: No, I knew because he thought our daughter was going to be a boy. I said, no, it's going to be a girl first, and then I'm going to give you your son. That's how it just got. I'm very close to the career.
Speaker 2: He was like, Jesus, bless me with this son.
Speaker 3: God speaking to me since I was a kid. So I have that like one on one connection with the man upstairs, especially beings at all my family, the prayers that my grandmother has prayed over me for years, my family like super in tune.
Speaker 1: So he so, you give him a son, and you've been a good loyal wife, and now it's you know what, I'm going to take some time to do what I want to do, which yeah, every normal feeling, any human being with a pulse would want to do.
Speaker 3: And I just feel like I'm like I'm at an age now where Okay, I've done some small things. It's time for me to really step into it and do some bigger things.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure watching his path was it inspiring to say, yes, I can do it inspiring.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something, even though we are divorced, when we went through it pretty it was rough when it first happened. I wouldn't trade anything in because one thing that I did learn was work ethic. Why he's so successful the people that come for him and at the end of the day are still my family. That's my kid's father. When people come for him or say that, I'm like, that's bullshit. This man worked his ass off. I've seen how hard he works and why he is where he is at today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a militant work ethic.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh my god, you have you have to And then his mother rests in peace. Nancy, that was my heart. She was just so by the book and just had him on track and just had him like she was.
Speaker 1: She instilled some crazy level of discipline early. Yeah, definitely, and she was like, I'm not letting this one right here is They're gonna slip through the cracks by all means necessary.
Speaker 2: So you got to watch that.
Speaker 1: So you're pursuing this and keV starts to notice, Hey, you know what, goals and focus has changed.
Speaker 3: And so I think it became a little issue. That's what I believe, outside of other things that were going on. But at the time, I was just so dedicated to also me and then my kids, and I was just like, I've been mom in it. I'm out here doing this. I just want something for me. And once I got locked in and realized like, we're really good at this, I'm getting booked, people are paying me for this, I'm like, oh, okay, that's a great feeling. So I'm like, WHOA, Like, this is what I want to do. I really want to do this on top of my acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's what happened. I'm not going to fry these two.
Speaker 1: So during the I hate to talk about the divorce and all that, it's still there was. It was a little bit of a painful divorce as all breaking. Sorry, they're never likery well formally agree.
Speaker 2: On this split. At this point when all of this is going on, are you.
Speaker 1: Business wise now you're both booking, you're both doing cop comedy. Does that cause a little bit of a hindrance in your career, or are you afraid it's going to cause a hindrance in your career.
Speaker 3: I actually I had took time off because I was going through a lot, like emotionally and stuff. So more so I took time off so I was more so just focused on me and the children at the time. I would get like little auditions and little gigs here and there, but I was just like I couldn't be funny. I didn't feel like being funny.
Speaker 1: That's a very difficult time. Yeah, so comic, your art reflects life. You're going up on stage. That's a tough time.
Speaker 3: And I did try, and it was bitter. I was bitter. It was just like like, Okay, maybe that joke ain't ready yet, because it ain't funny, Tori. It's a little fuck you, it ain't ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so I just decided. I was like, you know what, I took a seat and was just like, okay, let me just get me together spiritually and mentally. And that's what I did.
Speaker 2: How long did it take you to take that break?
Speaker 3: It took a couple of years, just soul searching and not saying. It took a couple of years to get fully together. But you know, when you're with someone since you're twenty years old and then you break up at thirty three, especially all through my twenties and my thirties and movie, that's a chunk of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a huge investment, especially if you're married. You come from a family. You said your parents are still together. You like, man, I did everything in the book. I would imagine it sounds like you did everything in the book to make it work.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I won't. I wasn't perfect either, So I will say there's things I probably could have done differently when you're young, when you're that Like my daughter is nineteen right now. I look at her like I can't believe I was in a relationship at nineteen moving married, Like what how did that even happen? You know what I'm saying. I'm just yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So now you're out on your own and keV is extremely successful running laps around the sun.
Speaker 2: Right now? How does it? How does the inner you.
Speaker 1: Feel about like you're pursuing your dreams, you have your ex husband orperating around the sun a hundred times? What are the motions like you where you're at right now watching all of this.
Speaker 3: I was annoyed everywhere, just like I can't escape them. God, are you playing a trick on me? Yeah, it's just but it worked because it's in one of my comedy bits.
Speaker 2: I heard of it. Yeah, it was. It was very funny. It was very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spoil it.
Speaker 1: But one of the jokes you said that night really about your kids being richer than you are.
Speaker 3: Ye, I'm the one that slept with a midget for y'all to like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was really funny.
Speaker 3: It's the truth, you know what I'm saying. Of course they are richer than me. But I love I'm very blessed, So I don't want anybody to think I'm not blessed. But I am blessed, super blessed, and continue to work hard so I can be more blessed. And I like to give back a lot more. A lot of things that I work super hard for is to give back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, do you guys collaborate? Do you see future collaborations? How does that work with your guys? Whole relationship?
Speaker 3: We did it. I did do House Husbands the final season. I did do that, but as far as collabing. As of right now, I don't see that, and I don't see it right now, it's not in hindsight. But who knows a couple of years later it might change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you guys, in this industry, it's like a very relationship industry. People ask me all the time, get my friends with everybody. I'm like, I actually don't know everyone that's on the show personally, but a lot of the relationships are what put different people in the room when you're going after auditions or anything. Do you ever want to pick up the phone call and be like, hey, keV, can you assist with this? Or are you just no? I gotta do it the old school. I hate when people do that, Like you you have to connect, just call it in.
Speaker 2: It's weird. It's very bird for you.
Speaker 3: It's very weird because some people are scared to work with me because they think if they work with me, then they can't they can't or what is Kevin gonna say? And I tell them all the time, he was never going to work with you anyway. I'm the closest day you got, so your might as well go with me. Okay.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like what you bro You're not even at a level where he would even look your way. Come on. But then there's some people who are just they see my talent, they see what I do, and they're just like, yo, I want to work with you. You're super talent or who knew a lot of people still don't even know I do stand up and so some people are like, yo, I didn't know you was that funny, And I'm like, yeah, I've been doing this a long time.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about you going on tour with Kat Williams. Okay, let's talk about that. Yeah, that's a big that's a big deal. Let's talk about let's please, yes, guys, just so you know, I'm removing these glasses because someone's calling me.
Speaker 2: I can't concentrate if the phones ringing in my ear. Let's talk about that. How did that come about?
Speaker 1: Because Cat Williams is also, need I say, like, literally the best of the best comics on the earth, living comics. Yeah, I don't trying to think in my head, who could be no One? Okay, good, good, yeah, different, He's a different type of comic, but cat by fault. I think Dave Chappelle is a great storyteller comic. I think Cat Williams just.
Speaker 2: He could probably seize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of things I can tell you. It's his voice, his stature, presence. He's fearless.
Speaker 2: He's fearless.
Speaker 1: You have to be I think his I think what makes a lot of comics unique is their perspective, like how they taking information and how they spin it back out because you're taking Comics can take really serious, serious topics and then they turn it into something.
Speaker 2: Like whoa, I never even thought of that.
Speaker 1: And then Cat Williams has a very good The way his information is coming in and the way it's going out is very right.
Speaker 2: It's very deep.
Speaker 1: Tell me about how that whole Cat Williams going on tour with Cat Wwlliams came.
Speaker 3: About no d on napkins. Yeah, go ahead, thank you.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: I usually have a certain thing to drain the chicken. That's another thing I forgot to tell you, but it's okay. So I've known Cat for twenty something years. Another thing people don't know. Cat used to come through Philly to a place called the laugh House, and so I met Kat when I lived in Philly. I've hung out with Cat, paray with Cat, Me and Cat has done two movies together. It wasn't just oh, toy's just going on tour with Cat. Me and Cat have a relationship.
Speaker 2: To be on tour with gun, you said, you have to be really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was getting at more so, was that like a defining moment to say, Kat Williams is like putting me on tour with him? Is I don't know the right terminology, more like an accolade of I've arrived.
Speaker 3: He did. That wasn't the first time I went performed with cats. See that's another thing. I performed for Cat at the Microsoft Theater in front of twenty five thousand people, and that was the first time he gave me an opportunity and blessed me literally like with ten K for seven minutes of material. He's always been a person that looks out for females and puts females on the stage, and so for him to do that, it was just like thank you. And then we had already talked about me going and doing a couple of dates on the tour, and then when everything dropped, it was it looked a certain type of way, but it's yo. It looks this way, but no, that was already planned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how did it feel to be able to open for a cat?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing, yeah, amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are there other point in your career where you could say like they were definitive moments where you were just like, I'm in I'm doing this.
Speaker 3: I opened up for Martin Lawrence at Royal Farms Arena and that was New Year's And if you get a booking New Year's Eve as a comedian, to be booked on New Year's Eve, that's like all comedians want to be booked.
Speaker 2: So I didn't even know that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, the pressure is real comedians. I need a gig for In Martin's people. Some one of his people saw me performing somewhere and Martin approved to have me come to Royal Farms and opened up for him. I've opened up for Martin. Dion Cole did shows with Dion Crispencer trying to think, who else.
Speaker 1: Do you think your road is as hard as the average comic.
Speaker 2: Coming in? It's harder, it's harder.
Speaker 3: It's a lot harder. I get scrutinized a lot. You know a lot of people. I can walk on a stage and I see some men doing this, Like even when the Cat Williams thing happened and I got my own tour out of that too. Some men would just come for whatever reason just to like low.
Speaker 2: Key just hate wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah they arms cross and yeah, make me funny? Are you better be funny? Make me laugh?
Speaker 2: Yep. I could see that people coming and being like, okay, let's see what she.
Speaker 3: Could judge it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just straight judging, which is definitely a lot harder.
Speaker 3: It's hard so when people say stuff like, oh, she only got this because her last name. Okay, but I still have to be funny. Yeah, I still have to go on stage and make people laugh and telling jokes is not easy.
Speaker 2: Does that ever make does it? Now?
Speaker 1: I know you don't regret your family and all of that, but does it ever make you send? I feel like, damn, I wish it wasn't like this. I wish I could have had an organic clean slate.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I do. I do wish that sometimes like dag I would be I feel like I would get more opportunities because there's a lot of things that I see where I'm like, I could have had that role, I could have did that. But then I'm like, but it wasn't for me, So I know my road is going to be longer, my journey is different. But I'm also I'm more of an independent. I finally got a conglomerate behind me. I just got to deal with Urban one TV Radio one for my podcast called Brutally Honest with Tory Hart.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a big deal.
Speaker 3: It's super big. I actually just filmed four episodes. I gotta go back to Atlanta. I'm filming. It's in Atlanta the whole cause I just got to show up. They have the production, everything is laid out for me, built my set, everything. I just show up.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 3: But I'm asking some tough, hard questions and I ain't letting up on nobody when they come.
Speaker 2: Through tell us about the show.
Speaker 3: So it's Brutally Honest with Tory Hart. If you don't want to get questioned, then don't want you know to because I'm coming with those questions like the personal and everything, personal business, spirituality.
Speaker 2: What type of guests are on the show, all kinds. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just was just there and I did Neo's actually ex fiance Manetta oh okay, okay, and I asked her questions about how she feels with him having three and four cocky bonds now.
Speaker 1: And they're girlfriends, right, they're like.
Speaker 3: Girlfriends, conckybines. Whatever.
Speaker 1: My husband always asks me this, what do you think about Neil? I'm like, I don't really care this, I don't care. We're limited in a society where men forget what women are actually bringing to the table.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I'm saying, Yeah, we're not just bringing sex. Guys.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, they forget that a woman is your rib for a reason.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying us down to that you're walking away with a lot less than you could be walking away with.
Speaker 2: And that's just my personal opinion.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing to each its own. If that's what makes you happy, do that, and if you got people willing participate, that are willing to go with.
Speaker 1: It, then yeah, yeah yeah, by all means I say to people like, he's paying for his peace. Yeah, because I'm pretty sure you be with a guy, you messing with a guy. You like him, he has a cute smile, successful, it's very easy to like and love that. But you know, when it comes time to be like, I want you to only want me, that's where the paper comes into to this is the deal that you you know, I told you.
Speaker 2: Upfront what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I really believe he's That's where the money comes in. Whereas you know what, I'm gonna choose not to say anything though I feel this type of way because the money is here to sue that part of me, because I just I don't I personally don't believe women are built like that. Oh to have several I'm gonna share me and three of my homegirls are gonna share.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Now there's always exception. The royal shout out to Michael B. Jordan, because I really think that I could debate it for Michael B.
Speaker 3: Michael B.
Speaker 2: I said all the time with this show, it's terrible, that is hilarious.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be I think I would get in line with the amount of right amount of paper. I could be quiet, okay, you know what I'm saying. I could be like, you know what, it's Michael B.
Speaker 2: I get it. The whole universe probably wants this dude. A lot of people say it up.
Speaker 3: I don't. He's not Michael B. Ain't. That ain't what I would.
Speaker 2: Be like anyday? You smile my way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I know there's always some guy that you'd be like, you know what, for a lot of money, maybe maybe I have to turn the other cheat.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think who that guy would be for me.
Speaker 2: More. Michael B would be it. Michael Be.
Speaker 1: I tell you everybody husband included Michael B Is. That's yeah, he comes on this show, don't it's not even gonna be a question.
Speaker 2: Well it's not a whole past. I'm open. But if he comes on this show forgetting my whole team, forget it. I would come.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have your glam square, getting the gym, hopefully I know a week in advance. Okay, I'm gonna have the shoes that you're wearing on Okay.
Speaker 2: No, I'm joking. But Michael B Is definitely my ultimate.
Speaker 1: But all my friends they tell me that he's like a super hole and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh he's not married.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, I always say, it takes nothing for All the guy has to do is open his mouth and it could completely change your mind. If he came down talking like a valley girl or something, I wouldn't be interested at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd be like, oh that's it.
Speaker 3: See, I'm learning to turn a new least because I like thugs.
Speaker 2: I saw a girl.
Speaker 3: Wait, what do you mean you saw?
Speaker 2: I watched your stand up?
Speaker 3: Oh shoot, oh yeah I watched.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? I saw that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I but you know what I am like.
Speaker 2: I was interested in those peb looks like the opposite of a thug.
Speaker 3: I also was twenty when we met, No, nineteen twenty. I can't remember this.
Speaker 2: You were like but before keV.
Speaker 3: Okay, And that's another thing. You know, people think that I date short men, So all short men please stop approaching me, because that was just one time.
Speaker 1: Dory, you are short. I don't know what you're talking about. Kevin looks like he's a inch taller than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's a man, Torri, you are short. I know that's what I'm saying. Stop coming please.
Speaker 1: Okay, you are slowly running out of time. Okay, And I gotta judge your fried chicken.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get it. I mean, does it look good?
Speaker 2: It looks really good?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm still this recipe. When I go home and cook for Z.
Speaker 3: I have to give you like because this is not even the real recipe.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you now. If it doesn't taste flavorful. At least you didn't smoke up the room. Now I learned that it doesn't. I was boiling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I put the oil down to what looks real official. Is that the buttermilk that makes it all crispy?
Speaker 3: I can't tell you that. No, I'm just ky. Yes, But.
Speaker 1: I was like, why, I want to know, because I'm gonna try it at home. I never do buttermilk, but I don't know. Mine doesn't come out as crispy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so it's also the flower. I probably could have seasoned the flower a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're gonna judge a girl with.
Speaker 3: Me cooking like this talking, I don't usually be all mikes and spotlights.
Speaker 2: And started talk to me like that's with your girl. I'm mixing the chicken, and you ask.
Speaker 1: Me these questions, So toart, Where do you want to see yourself maybe in the next one to five years. What are some goals that you're trying to hit?
Speaker 3: Okay, I got one, I got my deal, sot TV show, I'd like to see.
Speaker 2: My chicken, go ahead, sherve me up talk show.
Speaker 3: I just booked two movies, so I'll be doing two films in Atlanta next month.
Speaker 2: And are you kid kid free? Officially all of them are out the house.
Speaker 3: So my daughter's in college. My son is still at the house, but he's split between me and Kevin. Okay, he's seventeen, but eighteen this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, all right, let's serve this up. Come sit with me. Okay, look crazy, hold on, let me wipe it.
Speaker 3: Do you let me? Do you want some salad? Yes, okay, serve me up.
Speaker 2: I want to experience what you were eating when you were broke. Oh, that's that's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna have to improvise. That's it. It's just gonna improvise.
Speaker 2: It's a plastic one, guys, Okay, okay. And then I've been snacking on the cucumbers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is what you ate in Philly in La.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I eat to listen, and I will still eat some fried chicken like it's nothing.
Speaker 2: We got cucumbers, We got tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Here's some tomatoes to help myself.
Speaker 2: Here we go. This looks so good. I'm starving. Guys. Couldn't wait for her to cook this chicken.
Speaker 3: Now. I would say, get one closer to the bottom because it's a little the oil. I soaked it, oil up a little bit more in the meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love how you're conscious over it. You want me to have the good piece of che I'm.
Speaker 3: A little nervous.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got a bottom. Let's try that blue cheese.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, here's the blue Let's.
Speaker 2: See how it goes.
Speaker 3: I don't eat blue cheese. Here we go, guys. Now, look, I ain't got nothing to do with the blue cheese.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, but you know what, I haven't had it in a long time. Let's see if you could change my mind on it. Okay, I'm gonna put a little bit on the corner. Stab this chicken.
Speaker 2: For time's sake, I'm gonna. I'm not waiting for you, Tori. I'm sorry to I'm not waiting me.
Speaker 3: Okay. But no, the blue cheese, I don't have it. I did not make no homemade blue cheese. I had pass. But no, you don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't even talking about the in hell while you eat. Maybe if I didn't breathe it in.
Speaker 3: Okay, And you know what, I usually have hot sauce with my chicken, but oh you have hot sauce up, Open up the fridge.
Speaker 2: Hold up, someone put this on our show.
Speaker 3: Okay, not that kind, but it gotta be some Louisian or.
Speaker 2: All right, let's try here. We are crispy Chicken. It looks real. Official taste test. We are not going easy on toy today.
Speaker 1: Everybody, you're gonna see how she was even when she was broken.
Speaker 2: Mone never comes out like this. It's true. It's really good.
Speaker 1: My whole crew is gonna come up in here, gonna snatch the ball the chicken. I'll guarantee you we should have had you made more? Why you didn't make those last two pieces?
Speaker 2: Huhm otho great?
Speaker 3: She likes the chicken.
Speaker 1: I don't understand because when I do it at home, it never comes out I got great, Probably because the buttermilk is the buttermilk?
Speaker 2: Or do you use less flour?
Speaker 3: I mean I just used the flour you saw. I just rolled it around.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go home after this, after I pick up my daughter. I'm gonna make this and if it comes out as good as yours, cool, But if it doesn't, I'm hitting Chrissy to hit you to find out what it is I'm doing wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, because it tastes.
Speaker 3: Really great, tell me yeah, you tell me and I'll let you know. Okay, great, y'all, she likes my chicken.
Speaker 2: Thank you for opening up. How can I.
Speaker 3: Move this out the way? Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh shoot, how pam? Yeah, come on and we'll throw this up here. Okay, one days is gonna come down because I've been doing that lately. Where can everybody don't take another bike into that camera?
Speaker 2: How can everybody keep up with you? And what can they look forward to?
Speaker 3: Okay, So you guys can follow me on social media. It's Tory t O r E. I h A R T Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, It's not really a TikToker, but website Torridashheart dot com. And then please be on the lookout. Brutally honest with Tory Heart is coming and I have, Like I said, I'm backed by Radio one, TV one, Urban one, So you're gonna start seeing promos probably everywhere, and it's gonna be hard hitting, funny, but also it is I'm getting to the bottom line of a lot of questions that a lot of people be scared to ask. So brutally honest Tory Heart look forward today.
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, And so follow her guys and check out her stand up comedy. It's great. I checked it out.
Speaker 1: I was in the crowd Sprint and Center watching you. Okay, come on, come out and support your girl and the piece Peace.
Speaker 2: For More eating while broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect.
Speaker 1: Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.