Speaker 1: So I think when we're talking about, you know, playoffs, I think what we can get better at is winning those tighter, close games.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got Will Benson from the Cincinnati Regis jointing us right now in foul Territory. Welcome back to the show. Congrats on player of the week Will and a huge week including that we can sweep against the state rival Cleveland Guardians. How you doing, man, Happy to be back up and thriving?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, I'm definitely grateful that I got the opportunity to play and yeah, put some good numbers up.
Speaker 2: Take us through your journey this year, Like was it a change? Was it something that clicked for you and the minors? Like how would you describe the way that things are currently working for you?
Speaker 1: I would say the journey has just been really focused on the routine and the process and just being consistent with with that. You know, it really kind of began in this past off season just kind of learning, you know, who I am and what I want to be in the direction I want to go, and then just continuously building blocks every day. You know, there there's little nuggets here and there that I picked up along the way, you know, coming into the coming into the actual season from the off season and spring training, and then just being consistent with UH, with that approach.
Speaker 3: Every time you've talked to us or we were should we were live out in Vegas the one time you were on the show, You're super positive. You're like, yeah, I'm gonna go get it. When you get sent down to the bushes after having up and down big league career but a lot of ups, a lot of awesome things. How pissed really were you? Because like, believe me, I know about getting sent down. AJ maybe doesn't know about getting sent down. How pissed were you? But how did you channel that ultimately once you got down there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was. I was definitely a mixed bag of emotions. I wouldn't say like I was like crazy upset, because you know, when you do everything you're supposed to do, then it's like, you know, that's just what God gave me type of mentality. I definitely was upset, but I knew. I told my wife this, you know, in the off season, it's gonna be a great year. I just told her that, And so my mindset was already kind of set on what I was, what I'm trying to do. This was just a little wrinkle in the in the journey. But I feel like, you know, with my faith, I just stayed to the to the process of the routine. I just kept my focus, you know, just like tunnel vision on what I was trying to do. And that didn't matter whether I was in the big leagues or I was in Triple A, because I know I was speaking with the man I can't I feel bad, I'm tripping on this. I worked out with him and the all season and he had a similar thing, and it was his platform year and he was just like, man, I know if it ain't here, and I know there's you know, other teams that can use me and see value in me. And so yeah, from then I just had that perspective of like, hey, if it's not here, that's okay. I'll just do what I have to do, work on my craft, work on my game, and let God take the wheel and wherever it lands, that's just where it lands. So that's how they going to keep that type of be positive, you know, outlook on it.
Speaker 4: Well, when you were sent down, and by the way, I was sent down plenty of times. I know, Crawds. It's like to you know say that, but I was sent down plenty of times. What was your what was your focus? I know you keep saying you no God first, which I respect and love that, and you're saying stay positive, which is great. But when they sent you down, they didn't just say go to Triple A. They gave you specific things to work on. So when you went down there, what were you working on? Did you make some changes in your swing? Did you make some approach changes, like you had to have changed something. It's not like they just said just go down there and hopefully we'll see it later.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was more of a situational type thing. So it was like, hey, if you come up with us to start the year, I wasn't gonna play very much, and it was like, hey, go down you know, get your ad back, get your rhythm, get your groove. And so that's where it was like, Okay, well I'm going to go down here and I'm going to see how well can I execute my routine day after day after day and how consistent can I be with what I was trying to do. And there was like a little bit of an adjustment, you know, with my swing. What I was trying to do. But it's nothing crazy. It's more just being relaxed up there, just kind of with my stance and my posture. But in terms of what I'm good at and what I'm trying to to attack, those things were, you know, relatively the same. It's just how well can I do it day after day? As we know, the big you know, being successful in our sport is just how consistent can you be? And so, you know, obviously being able to play every day in triple A was a blessing because I was able to work on that consistency whenever I got the chance to come back up.
Speaker 3: The other day. Don't Russian got called up to the big leagues with the with the Dodgers as a prospect. The guy was called up and we had a debate on here about playing or not playing. If a guy like Will Smith is hitting three point fifty in front of him, it's probably not going to play a ton. How as a young player or even as just a prospect coming up to the big leagues, how is that tough to sit? You talked about like taking your approach and then like actually being able to execute it because you were playing every day in the bushes. But you want to be in the big leagues, but you're not playing every day. How difficult is that? And is that something that you can that people can be successful without actually playing every day?
Speaker 1: Great question, Chras, I think it. You know, everybody is given a different role, everybody's given a different opportunity, especially out of the gate. And so I think, you know, if you're a young guy coming in and you kind of have an idea of okay, maybe I might play every four day, I think it's really important to learn, you know, and soak up as much as you can from watching, you know, somebody for an example, like you were using a guy you're just talking about, and will Smith like really sit there and watch and if you get a chance or when you get that chance to play, you know, do you think you know obviously like you do well awesome, you don't do well? Okay, Like, how can I use this to whenever I get another opportunity, how can I, you know, be better than I was last time? And it's really difficult to keep that perspective because again, in the back of your mind, it's like, oh man, I might get sent down. That's like, I think the biggest hurdle that a lot of us young guys have to kind of get pass is is that little demon in the back of your mind, like, man, this might be my last day, so that that's the hardest part. And I think when we're talking about Okay, I understand, Hey, I'm going to be playing, you know, every fourth day right where my practice? Can I make it as close as possible? How can you know I pick my spots when hey, there's a good chance I'll be playing here, Like, how well can I prepare for that opportunity and and make the most of it? And and a lot of that again is really how you how you how you really look at it. That that will really dictate a lot of you know, your ability to come through in those in those type of moments.
Speaker 5: If you're a card collector or you'd like to get into card collecting, may I suggest Arena Club and Slab packs, which means that you can rip the packs digitally and of course get the card that you want.
Speaker 2: It's also the most trusted name in the game. And I would rather rip packs these days on my phone than sit next to you and have you grabbing one of my physical packs. If I was grabbing one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't need me grabbing your packs, because last time you grabbed one it ended up like this card, So let's not have that. And that's why Arena Club is great. They send them to you in these fancy protectors like the Scout Brown card that we have here, and they'll come they're already graded. Or you could do like I do and just leave my cards in the showroom and never actually see them physically. Yeah, but they're safe, protected, and if I want to sell them, I can't buy sell trade.
Speaker 2: They offer full transparency, showing every card in the slab pack with the likelihood of pulling each one, so you know exactly what's available before you buy. Get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to arenaclub dot com, slash foul and use code foul.
Speaker 4: Is there anybody you watch like?
Speaker 3: Is there any like video you watch of another player that you like kind of like get some inspiration, or you're like, maybe my swing doesn't look like this guys, but other guys attack him the same way. Or maybe I just like think if I watched this guy hit, I'm a better player.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You got another great question. I feel you know, I've gone back and forth with this. I do a lot of this more in the offseason because I think that's the appropriate time. But I love watchingry Bonds play, like any clips or anything that I can get to him. I just like to watch how he approaches the bat, how he looks in the a bat. A lot of his mannerisms are just very unfazed and dominant, so I try to replicate that, and how he has an amazing ability for for not only zone control, but his ability to put the battle of the ball when he gets that hitch in the zone. I think that's an incredible skill. So I just try to like really just let my brain watch and collect as much information I can. But that's more of the off season, actually, you know that was That was one funny thing I think I learned about myself, was I I did a little bit this year. I love watching Freddy Freeman and I love watching Judge. The only thing with those guys, mainly Freddy because he's left handed and I really like his swing. It's like, you have to know, Freddie's Freddy and I'm me right, So we're gonna swing different ways, going to do different things. I like some of the things that he does, so he does a really good job of taking that inside pitch to center field. He does a really good job of that. He keeps that path through the baseball really well. So I like to watch that, and again, I just have to be careful because then it's like you don't want to try to be exactly like someone else. You just take little nuggets and help you improve, you know, your game. So a lot of it for me from Freddy is just like, hey, how well can I, you know, emulate a type of path that's through the baseball like him? And then the other guy mentioned was Judge. You know, just watching what he's been able to do this year, I've been able to I watched his first I think like fifteen games and similar bonds. Is just their ability to control his own not miss pitch. Is that they like and and just have a presence of of of just dominance and unbothered. Man, is really cool to watch. And those are things that I tried to emulate.
Speaker 3: That is that attainable?
Speaker 4: Did you watch?
Speaker 3: Do you watch those dudes and you see what Judge has been doing this whole year, You see what Freddy's been doing since he had a little bit of a slow start on a bad ankle, and you're like, your your numbers matched for the week and that's why you got a player of the Player of the Week award, but your numbers matched this past week.
Speaker 4: What they're doing the entire season?
Speaker 3: Does that ever? Look when you're watching it, like this feels kind of unattainable.
Speaker 1: You know, people, Actually, I'll come back. I think all of these things are attainable. Obviously, you have to have grace, right, you know, prepare your horses and God delivers the victory. But I think I think it. I think all of these things are attainable. You just have to understand how to get it for yourself. I think those people being judged, being Freddie Freeman, Bonds, they learned how to get the best out of themselves every day, and when it didn't feel good, they found a way to still get the best. Now. Again, some of them are God given abilities, you know. It's just like, man, you're just good at the sport or you know what I'm trying to say. But I think I think it very much is obtainable. You just have to understand, really, how do you get the best out of yourself for that day and do it day after day and That's where it's like, it is so impressive that they're doing it because they are genuinely it takes effort day after day, and their days where it's easier than others. Right days you're in your groove. Like obviously for Judge right now, I couldn't imagine what he's even feeling. He probably even feel anything. But yeah, that that level of consistency takes work, and it's impressive for them to watch, and I do think it is obtainable.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, Well you came out of the Grissom Baseball Association or academy what is it called association in Georgia?
Speaker 1: No I I I played against them a lot, but played against Yeah, I grew up. I'm a Santown Red Sox that's on on the south side. But we played against the ag Gresham Park Dodgers a lot. I think that was one of Grissom's teams. If I'm not.
Speaker 3: Mistaken, Okay, okay, sorry, I thought I thought you were because I was gonna channel my name, my my question to Chandler Simpson. Chandler Simpson, because you and him, you're you're you're on the same list. If Chandler Simpson and you hit a forty yard dash tomorrow because you can need some stretching first. How much of a lead do you need to beat him?
Speaker 1: Oh? Forty yards? I mean that guy is fast. I'm fast too, but he's fast, right, Yeah, he's fast. I mean for me to comfortably win, like give me, give me like three four yards, Okay, I mean it's comfortably win, but like again, he's got It's funny actually trained. I trained in the off season with him, him, Victor, Scott Law, a couple of Taylor Trammell Zay, a couple of guys, and especially during that during that pandemic era, where I mean all you could do is really work out, and it was really impressive just to be around them guys and and work out with him because everybody was just so unique, uniquely gifted in their own bay and Chan Chan definitely was gifted with that speed for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, what's the difference this year with Tito and David Bell? What's been the difference The biggest difference that you've noticed since spring training started as you came up with David Bell. Now you have Tito there. They're not the same person. I know, I know both of them well, they're definitely different people one, you know, So what's the biggest difference you've noticed?
Speaker 1: I think more so the word aura, uh comes comes to mind. I think when it was in twenty three, when we were we were doing it and the just the aura and everything was there. I think, you know, we just kind of had this this almost expectation to end, and so dB was was excellent at just gassing us up and getting us to that place. I think now it's with Tito, the aura around it is we we're gonna get it done, you know what I mean? And his presence for us is like what we're going to do today to win? And it's kind of just that simple. And I think it's just more direct hit of you know, we've got a manager who expects nothing less of us than to go out here and dominate.
Speaker 4: What are the Reds need to do? Because I listen a lot of people pick the Reds to win. The central pitching obviously is there, the hitting can be there at times, but what do you guys need to do? What is Tito? What does your coaching staff say to you guys on a daily basis that y'all need to do to win this division? And get to where you guys want to get, which Tito always seems to figure out a way to, if not get there, but be close to get into the postseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for us, what we need to do is play consistent, clean baseball. We just went on a five game heater and you know in that time period, man, you you sit there and watch our games and it's just extremely clean, clean from the pigeon. Like you said, hitting, I mean, we're we are hitting as a collective unit, you know, moving guys over, getting guys in, applying a lot of pressure to that starter so that we have to you know, we get the opportunity to kind of get into that bullpen. So I think when we're talking about, you know, playoffs, I think what we what we can get better at is winning those tighter, close games and in those close games, playing clean, clean baseball, being smart on the base path, getting a guy let's say we have a leadoff double, like, hey, let's get him over, get him in. Like those little things will will really push us over the edge. Because I think when when we're going, man, it's there's no question what we can do. But when when we get to you know, some of them close in games, is how well can we you know, just cash in and execute when the game is asking us to.
Speaker 4: Okay, last one, I'm gonna put you on the spot a little bit here. Who's the best picture on your staff? Hunter Green, Brady Singer, Lodolo, Andrew Abbott or is there someone else that we need to be talking about as far as pitching goes on the Red staff?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think Hunter Green right now at the moment is is the ace. I mean, as you guys have seen he he he's been dominant. Man Like, all his pitches are working. He's given you know, us a chance. And I think what's nice about our rotation at the moment is that they're they're given they're giving us room to to really win the game on the offensive side, right So meaning there there is gonna be two runs or less for the first six innings and that when you can count that from your staff, that's a blessing. And I think it when it comes to Hunter, I mean for him, it's been one run or less and so that makes it even more room for us to go out there and dominate. And he's been very consistent. I'm very happy for him, and that'll be my answer he's coming back soon. I think he's coming back tomorrow from his year. Yeah, so that's gonna be excited. This's me my first time actually in the big leagues this year to watch it firsthand, so that that's gonna be really cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you play. You guys got the Cubs coming in, so you got dream, you got Abbott, and I think you have Lodolo lined up one, two, three for you guys, you do must win series for the Reds. I know it's early, but is this a must win series for the Reds this weekend at home with your best three going?
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny you say that. I think every series is, is some former faction, a must win. When when you put too much hype on one series, I think that's when you kind of, you know, blow your load in a way. But I consistently look at every series as a must win because if you win every series, you're gonna look up and you're gonna be in the playoffs. So whether it be the Cubs or anybody in our division, it's a must win. Like last week with a muscle win or against the Pirates that was a muscle win. Same thing goes for this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last weekend.
Speaker 4: Swept only scoring three runs or last they haven't scored four runs in like a month, So I mean, I was like, we just hit one three run over, We're winning this game. I mean the Parates have scored four runs in a month for not like four in one game, just four runs in one game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I shout out of Bailey, man. I work out with him and Falter, and I was very impressed with that first game. I think that won one zero. If I not, I believe that was yeah, one zero or no, it was, yeah, I think it was one zero. But then the second day it was almost in a cool game. Uh, and then they kind of put it on us at the end. But I was like, man like, like I told you about the rotation, they do a really good job of giving us a window like those first almost all those games, the first five six innings, it's a one zero game. And I think that's how it's going to be when we come to these type of division games. It's just a little bit more tight and people know what what what's at stake behind the