Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 1: For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Listen CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union number three.
Speaker 2: We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 3: Our number two back on campus, up the drive here. As the work continues on the field in front of us, the sun continues to shine. We continue to uh be a little disappointed by this painting robot.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, round two of it. Yeah right, batch number two again. The forty looks like nobody touched it.
Speaker 3: This this, this painting robot came out of the blocks. Matt like Usain Bolt.
Speaker 4: First innings are great, unbelievable, and.
Speaker 3: Then it's looked like me out there ever since not, so.
Speaker 4: We stopped painting the numbers too.
Speaker 3: And you know, right, this is why we rely on man, right.
Speaker 4: And it's almost like they put off white in instead of white.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still Payton straight and everything. It's just it's not nearly as bright as it used out taking a break now, they've kind of pulled it off to the side. I wonder if it's just too hot out there, you know, I wonder if it's a little too hot out there. They're testing the microphones. Yep, down on the field once again for of course a big day tomorrow, Steelers Hall of Honor. It's also welcome back to football weekend around the NFL. As now all thirty two NFL teams officially into training camp.
Speaker 4: I think area in Pats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, because because some there's certain there's certain Hall of Fame game and stuff like that, and you know, even if you have a new head coach, you're allowed some parameters. But I think it was I think it was yesterday the Broncos were the last remaining team. I want to say, don't quote me on that, but I feel like yesterday the Broncos had their first day of practice and I think they were the last remaining team, But obviously a big weekend as football is is football is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's headlines every couple hours.
Speaker 3: And we love it. And hopefully we'll have some big headlines tomorrow, certainly when we learn the Steelers new Hall of Honor class at ten am. Right here on Steelers Nation Radio, Matt, you had a fun idea for a segment, and I figured.
Speaker 4: This could be several segments. Oh, I think two, maybe three segments, maybe a week long segment.
Speaker 3: Right where Matt said.
Speaker 4: Most every position might take up a segment.
Speaker 3: Matt said, let's and this could be something we could kind of bob and weave, you know, throughout training camp and doing too here depending on how how deep we get into these weeds. But Matt had a good idea for a segment, basically saying let's let's.
Speaker 4: Actually Dale had a good idea for a segment.
Speaker 3: That's true actually right used to this was something that something that Dale came up with a few years ago that basically just go through the Steelers roster today verse three hundred and sixty five days ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was their training camp roster then and compared to.
Speaker 3: Now, compared to now? And what do you where do you think they improved. Where do you think maybe they took a little bit of step back, And you said you preface this by saying, like, hey, you gotta be honest with how you felt last year.
Speaker 4: You can't cheat you.
Speaker 3: You can't in hindsight, go oh, I knew John hu Smith was gonna stink when everyone thought that. You know, he was going to be a welcome member of that offense with Arthur Smith, with that tight end group.
Speaker 4: So this time of year, everybody's optimistic. You go, oh, this is so much better. No one's gonna get hurt. This rookie's going to hit blah blah blah blah blah. But if you're honest with yourself and you remember, to the best of your abilities, when you were sitting here one year ago, what you thought of each position group, and be like, boy, I had a lot of questions about this guy, but boy, he's a lot better now. Or I was worried he was really old about hit the wall. They looked better, or I didn't think he was ready hit the wall, but he hit the wall, you know what I mean. So of course we're not going to be right for cacheries and right right right, and there's new bodies. But I do think it's interesting and I'll be honest, every year that we've done it really over able to say the Omar Kahn era because of a different style team building, and Rob King talks about this a lot each year. I do think the roster across the board has improved. I mean as a whole. As a whole, I mean more often than not I say I like this position group. Maybe it's only three percent more, but more than I like this position group last year. And you have to be honest with yourself now again, I heard Rob talking on the show before us saying, you know, in the locker room and the driver Cohorton out there before we came on, and one thing he brings up, and I need to bring it up more on the air because I do like the Steelers roster. But what worries me is the most about maybe the Steelers roster is who are the superstars? You know, who are the guys.
Speaker 3: That can drag you over the line and get you a victory?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like man if Burrow's hot today, we're in trouble. If Lamar's hot today, or boy, I hope we can contain Chase or yeah, I'm just going around to the division. You know at Miles Garrett guy, how we're getting him blocked? I can't sleep tonight? Or what are they gonna do with Kyle Hamilton?
Speaker 3: You know, like that time when Ben Roethlisberger had back to back five hundred yard passing games, Like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: The students A had a million of them? I mean, TJ. Watt was that guy two years ago? And you know, is he still? I don't know. And that's not to say like Cam Hayward Zack Frazier aren't great players, but are they guys that just like I can't sleep it all week dealing with these dudes Tyreek in his prime, you know, just terrifying players.
Speaker 3: Where you want to start, Matt, you want to start with the quarterback? Yeah? Yeah, sure, let's start. We'll start with the prom kid.
Speaker 4: It's a tough one just because it's.
Speaker 3: Only one difference. It's Skyler Thompson and Drew Aller.
Speaker 4: But but you're definitely like Aler more than tom I mean you got to also have to say, since we haven't done this before, I'll kind of coach you up, like Rudolph better now than you did then, I'd say he's the same. To me, I think I like Howard better now than I did then. I mean, we just met him. I was gonna a six round pick. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he has to be the same because.
Speaker 4: He's closed because he didn't get to see anything.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen him between the white lines, even in a preseason game yet.
Speaker 4: But we've at least heard people in the organization. He's super impressive. He's been around an extra year. But I'm not gonna like if they're madd in grades, I'm not gonna move him from a fifty to a seventy.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right.
Speaker 4: But if you think about what you thought of him one year ago, it's like, oh, this six round pick just won the national title. He's kind of interesting, you know, but you weren't. You weren't jumping out of your skin yet for him.
Speaker 3: I'm not jumping out of my skin for him right now.
Speaker 4: Me neither.
Speaker 3: I'm not jumping out of my skin for Will or for Drew until again I see them do something real, at least against another team that's trying. Maybe even if it is only preseason. That's an interesting one because I you definitely feel better about aler than Skylar Thompson. There's no doubt there. Yeah, I would say Will Howard and Mason Rudolph are about the same. To use your Madden Great analogy. Yeah, if I would have had Aaron Rodgers as an eighty four overall out of one hundred last year, I'd probably have him as an eighty three overall out of one hundred right now. See, Okay, although you got to put in the Mike McCarthy factor and the Michael Pittman junior factor.
Speaker 4: See you're new to this exercise.
Speaker 3: Those things don't matter.
Speaker 4: We No, it definitely matters. But what is hard. The hardest thing about this exercise is trying to rewind one year because one year ago, boy he had just all he saw was OTAs. You know, you didn't know what kind of player was. He was just a jet You know, that seems like a million years ago. So you're basing things off jet tape when you're sitting here, like, sure he might be shot. Boy, he threw the ball well on OTA's or Mini camp, but they he signed late. I've only seen three mini camp practices at this point of Aaron Rodgers. He's impressive of walking around the trobe and I can't keep my eyes off the dude. But his jet stint wasn't great, you know, Like, I definitely think last year with the Steelers was better than his jet time. Yes, so I think his stock went up just because I got to see more than what I was basing his playoff of. But at his age, like this is probably true for like Cam Hayward too, like you, probably logic tells you the quote old dudes you should feel worse about of course, I mean just of course father time it's undefeated, right all right, right, so he's kind of a tough one. Do you feel better about Rogers sitting in the booth today or do you feel better about Rogers one year ago before you ever really saw him in Steeler pads. That's a great call because it's really easy to cheat and remember what happened as a Steeler. You're like, maybe he should be an MVP this year. Yeah, like you know, interesting, Yeah, it's it's it's some of the players are easy. When we get to Jaylen Warren, my my thoughts haven't changed much. I like him, like him now you're that expection blah bla blah blahah But to put yourself in the shoes of what did I truly think of Aaron Rodgers. Part of me was terrified, like this guy might be shot, he might be horrible. Part of me was like, right, right, right.
Speaker 3: I think I would go slightly better with the quarterback, with the room.
Speaker 4: I would I prefer it now. Yes, I also think there's four options as opposed to three or maybe even thought of two. At that point. You didn't look at the six round pick and be like, that's an option.
Speaker 3: Sure ago, sure, sure, that's a that's a That's a very tough one to break down. The quarterback room there because there hasn't been a ton of change.
Speaker 4: But there'll be some positions that are easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think like offensive line feels like it'll be pretty easy. Why receiver feels.
Speaker 4: Like why receiver is probably the obvious one.
Speaker 3: Pretty a pretty obvious one.
Speaker 4: Although I know this sounds are mean, but I had higher expectations for Metcalf a year ago than I do now. I'm not saying this year was disappointing, but he's one year older. Yeah, you're just giving up a second round pick. You look at this crazy looking wide receiver on the hoof running around out here for the first time going whoa, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He looked like something they hadn't had in that position for a long time.
Speaker 4: But definitely receiver stronger, yes than it.
Speaker 3: Was that because and that's that's that's probably another one that's fairly easy because you add you add Michael Pittman Junior to the fold a legit number two, you have a what a second round pick in Jeremy Bernard, whereas last year it was like DK and a whole lot of you waiting for somebody to step up, a whole mvs and Roman Wilson and Calvin Austin.
Speaker 4: And like collectively, though we had more hope at that point for Roman, Yes, I mean he.
Speaker 3: Is still Calvin a little bit as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again these are not saying these guys are terrible or their story.
Speaker 3: Ravin Austin and belongs on an NFL roster.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a reason, like when I was at the Browns, you would write a report every year for these players because they're constantly changing. But my report on and Wilson now would be lower or less enthusiastic than it was after his rookie year, you know what I mean? Because it's one more year of proof that maybe he isn't going to hit. Yeah, and I'm not saying we know the answer that no doubt.
Speaker 3: And I think you're fair and what you're saying with DK that there's still expectations there, just maybe not quite as lofty as they were then. They were very high, they're really high. But I think I think you add Michael Pittman Junior the fold juice, that's enough. That's enough. I mean, how long has it been we're talking about this yesterday. How long has it been since the Steelers have had a second wide receiver that you felt very confident in. It's it's been a long time. It's it's been a real long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, I have no qualms that that room is better now than it was one.
Speaker 3: Year ago, without a doubt, without a doubt.
Speaker 4: And it's also better able knock on wood to withstand the riggers and injuries that you're gonna deal deal with inevitably.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you're if one of your top two misses a game or two, yeah you'll still be in a rough spot, but it won't be nearly as bad as it was last year without DK. The year before that, without pickings. You've you've certainly got some more cavalry in that room right now, without a doubt. Matt, let's let's table this exercise for just a few minutes. So we did quarterback and wide receiver. Maybe when we return, we'll take a look at the defense, do a position group or two there, and we can we can, you know, keep this exercise going throughout the next couple of practices, just kind of compared and where the roster was a year ago to where it is now, and sometimes.
Speaker 4: The camp too, Like man, I was really high on him a year ago and he didn't do enough to Caleb Johnson's one of those he's going to be the obvious, yeah, right right.
Speaker 3: But then I think there's gonna be some others where it was like, hey, I thought Mason McCormick was going to be a good football player. Now I think he could be a great football.
Speaker 4: Especially if when we did this going into you know, his rookie season, it's like, oh, I liked him a lot as a fourth round pick. I thought he'd go into third round. That's exactly what I thought of him. And then next year you're like, oh, he should be a long time starting.
Speaker 3: Guard now like, Hey, now you're like maybe he could be a pro bowler.
Speaker 4: It's all right right, you know, like now he's worth a second round pick.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, we'll continue this exercise when we return here in the second hour. Oh, the line painting robot is back out.
Speaker 4: I know where's he going?
Speaker 3: Can we put in a stronger second half performance here than we did in the first half? And ain't about how you start, mister robot, It's about how you finish. Yu'll learn Williamson Hi a top chuck Nolefield. It is the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live covering Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union for an e when we touched down the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six. Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission. They said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and buy Iron Workers Local Union number three.
Speaker 2: We don't go to the office. We build it.
Speaker 3: Back on campus. Here, we're about halfway home. On today's edition of The Drive was Shooler Matt Williamson, Chuck Nolefield. Here. They're still having some issues with the painting robot. It's just not.
Speaker 4: Getting not getting the umote.
Speaker 3: That at once behind the paint. It's it's painting the line straight and everything. It's just they're a little confused as to why it's. It needs a little more potency, it needs a little more oomph, needs a little bit more whiteness there, Matt, it's like a light white, like an off white, and so they're trying to figure it out out here in the sunshine. They got most of the numbers painted and all that good stuff. As Matt and I will continue to keep you, keep you posting the review forty Yeah, sure did having this thing. Listen, it's training camp for everybody.
Speaker 4: Every still learn them.
Speaker 3: Including me, including the lawn painting robe. On Matt, let's continue this exercise of comparing the roster at this point to last year, and I think, if we're gonna be honest with ourselves, defensive back is a really intriguing one.
Speaker 4: Okay, gonna start, let's break it into the corners in safety exactly right.
Speaker 3: That's I I I sometimes who is here too? Okay? So remember last year, of course Joey Porter Junior was still here, but he was heading into year two. Uh. And you had brought in Darius Slay from Philadelphia. Yeah, you still had Uh. Well, I guess one Thornhill part of me will count. We'll count as a safe. As a safety, you had Jalen Ramsey who was brought in at the time. So Darius Slay, Joey Porter Junior and Jalen Ramsey your starters. Behind them. You had Brandon Ecles, you had Corey Trice, you had James Pierre, you had Beanie Bishops still at this point this time last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing my best, think what I thought then. I'm higher on Porter now than then. Absolutely, And I was still very I've never really doubted him, but I mean after his rookie year, I was quite happy with him, you know, right, Yes.
Speaker 3: And I think at the time, I don't want to say we were crazy high on Darius Slam.
Speaker 4: But I didn't. I thought he'd be close to the answer, or you know.
Speaker 3: I think we thought he'd be better than Patrick Peterson, Yeah, or some of the other more veteran guys that they had tried to see.
Speaker 4: One of the fun things about this exercise, it teaches you how hard this league is. Because I remember many times last year saying, Okay, now they can finally play a lot of press man coverage with these big corners, Slay, Ramsey Porter. They have a gluttonous amount of these guys, And then you realized, Slay ain't it. And I still really like Ramsey, but he's not the outside corner anymore. You know, I thought he was then, Yes, you know, so in some ways, if we're just looking at outside corners, I was really high on that group. Then I'm thinking, like, who's going to go to the slot? Ramsey was, who leaves the field? They got too many good guys. Now, something that happened that I guess isn't relevant because he's not here. But Pierre really came on strong throughout the year. We thought him as just a special team team. But if he were to happen to come back, I'd be like, boy, Pierre's a good player, right, Eccles kind of was what I thought he was, and I think that's good, you know, but you don't want him out there every snap. I still had hoped for Trice at that point, you know, thinking, man, maybe he can get back on, you know, get his career together. So it's sort of similar because like, I think I like Dean now more than I liked Sleigh then slightly. But it's easy to say because you know you're saying.
Speaker 3: Now, right. But I think again, I think we were all confident that Slay was going to be a solid contributor. I think ye coming off a Super Bowl with the Eagles right, part of a great defense, and yeah, I thought you could get another year of him, not as a superstar, but certainly as a viable starter.
Speaker 4: I think I like Ramsey better then, yes.
Speaker 3: And like Port better now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So those kind of even each other out.
Speaker 4: I think having Everett in the mix is something that's been lacking for a while, that that early round. I don't need him now, but I'm glad he's here for the future type.
Speaker 3: And I think a Sante Samuel Junior too, Like I'd rather have a guy even though Corey Trice.
Speaker 4: He wasn't here last year.
Speaker 3: Well that's true.
Speaker 4: That's true, So he's kind of like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess I kind of meant it in the sense of like, if you're telling me, okay for a depth guy here, right, you can have a Corey Trice where you know there's a potential high ceiling there, but there's a lot of volatility and injury and never been able to put it together. Or you can have it a Sante Samuel Junior who doesn't have the size, has some limitations, but you know is he's been productive throughout his career and viable. Like, I think a Sante Samuel Junior is a better guy to have in a depth piece as opposed to someone with a ton of injury history.
Speaker 4: Because I mean, what I do know at this time last year was Trice may not even make the roster. You know, Samuel is definitely making the roster. And oh, by the way, he's also playing really well.
Speaker 3: He's made a couple previously biased there probably mentioned him as much as we should because it's only acclamation practices, but him and Dean both have looked sharp out.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I thought this last year though, too, like, hey, if your third corner is a sante. A third outside corner santy, Samuel, You're really sitting pretty because I said the same thing last year, like if your third corner is sleigh, you're really sitting pretty, and you weren't sitting pretty. I mean, if Pierre hadn't stepped up, corner would have been really bad for the team, especially on the outside. But I think I like this group better.
Speaker 3: I think slightly.
Speaker 4: I mean, Everett has some weight there.
Speaker 3: Eccles. You feel better about Eccles, You feel better?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Feel better about Joey Porter Junior.
Speaker 4: I would say there's less speculation about Eckles. That's probably one year of them in the Black and Gold. It's a pretty good group too, it is. I mean they may keep six and they're all pretty decent. I mean it's a minor thing. But like Kent, it was a rookie, you thought, well, you know he's somebody. Now it's like, well he didn't learn much about him. Andy's hurt. So but I'm not sucking change my grade of do. I like this corner room better than last year's corner room.
Speaker 3: I like this year is better safety. I'm with you. I don't think it's a huge gap, but I definitely like this year is better the safety.
Speaker 4: You had just lost Menca.
Speaker 3: Though safety, you had just lost Menca. You you had brought in one Thornhill.
Speaker 4: And we did not call Ramsey a safety last year in camp. I'm not considering he didn't play one rep of safety.
Speaker 3: You had brought you had lost Meca, you had brought in one thorn Hill, you had brought in Chuck Clark. It sounds bad now in hindsight, it ended up being I mean, you had Ramsey had to move to safe, Ramsey had to move to safety. You lost to Sean Elliott for a big stretch of the season. Whereas now, hey, I know there's still question about that safety group. But Brisker's approven safety savage, you know, I think.
Speaker 4: There's just I don't think Ramsey counts a little bit towards safety now too.
Speaker 3: I think last year, for the framing of this conversation, you have to count him as a corner. I think for this year you count him as a safety.
Speaker 4: As a slot slash safety, yeah, slot slash safety, yeah. Yeah. So he kind of influences both.
Speaker 3: One of those guys that we always talk about right in the Cooper de Jeans.
Speaker 4: And I mean even if you know Hamilton lines up in the slot every snap, he would still be in the safety conversation. Yes, yes, Elliott doesn't change.
Speaker 3: I think he's about the same. He's a solid player. You know what you're getting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not like I'm more worried about his injuries now than then. Or he's a year older. Eh, that doesn't bother me. I thought Thornhill would be better. But I never loved them. I never loved the Clerks, and I know Dugger wasn't here, but like all those retread older dudes all performed kind of I expected. None of them can really run anymore. And you know, I hope we don't say the same about Brisker. You know, like he's had some injuries, and you might go into next season going Brisker on a one year deal. I don't care if you lose them. That's how league work. Sure, Or he might be like we got a lot out of him, Maybe you can extend him. Yeah, but I think you have to like this group better.
Speaker 3: I think so. I just think there's more options there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what to think of Savage. To me, he's a total wildgo total. He may not make team. He may be an influential player. I don't know.
Speaker 3: He'd like forgetting that he's out here or something. Yeah, yeah, some of these times. Honestly, Yeah, that that one. I mean, and you know you added Robert Spears Jennings to the mix too. I think he probably deserves. I mean, he was a draft pick, so he probably deserves.
Speaker 4: Although it was once here a year ago.
Speaker 3: I thought that was two years ago.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, because I feel very similar about both those guys that they may have stole somebody in the late rounds that makes his bones on special teams, and the year two or three is in the dime, and then in year three or four he's a starter, you know, because I I thought I felt bad about the watch situation. I thought he could have been something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's just a bum.
Speaker 3: It's it's one thing, you know, Matt, when guys it's one thing when guys can't make it in the NFL because they don't have the skill set.
Speaker 4: But yeah, or if they don't work hard enough, or they're just not fast enough or whatever, you're.
Speaker 3: Not mentally sharp enough to put it all together with the playbook.
Speaker 4: That happens every day, That happens every year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when it's when it's an injury and it's taken out of your hands and that's that's just that, that's a bummer. As much as these guys have devoted their lives to get to this point, to have an opportunity to play the kids game.
Speaker 4: The star glimpses of you know them being good.
Speaker 3: All right, before we go to break, we're getting some work on the iPad for the robot. Here. I love it when they like, go over, check it out, look back at the little little eye pall.
Speaker 4: They bring them over the sidelines, have a talk.
Speaker 3: They bring them over to the sidelines, like all right, we don't know you're sign all right, hold on, what did you see here at the forty five yard line talking me about this?
Speaker 4: You have been studying your playbook.
Speaker 3: Your playbook is one play you think you know it. Now it's put down white paint right that you're putting down like some translucent All right, here we go. We're on the forty five yard.
Speaker 4: Forty five looks all right? Tho, I don't know if that needs redone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's going now. It doesn't look like much as change.
Speaker 4: I don't know if anything's coming out.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is just at Maybe this will test run to see if to see what's happening here.
Speaker 4: Can you erase paint?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure you can, but I don't think like you just can with like a pencil and an eraser. That's gone real quick. I think it would take some some uh some real high flute, like.
Speaker 4: If he would get outside the lines and make it wiggle life something.
Speaker 3: I think you're pretty much in trouble.
Speaker 4: I think you're in massive trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you have to go get some.
Speaker 4: Get some green and green paint. Go to Sherman Williams would be like, I need this color. It's kind of green with a little bit of brown mixed in and some cleat marks in it.
Speaker 3: Matt. You will see that sometimes at like high school stadiums, where they'll just paint the roughs. They'll just spray paint the rough spots green just to just to make it look.
Speaker 4: I saw it in the early days of Heinz Field. Let's just paint the sand green. No, you don't know the difference.
Speaker 3: They won't be able to tell on TV.
Speaker 4: You can't tell on TV HD cameras.
Speaker 3: Haven't come out. Yeah we're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're walking around in my pitt uniform or you know my pit gear like, ooh, this field could use a little work.
Speaker 3: That's what you were there for. Why don't you get to work and get it done. Yeah, we'll keep you, We'll keep you posted with all of the paint Shenanigans on the field here as we roll along, we Shuler, Matt Williamson. It is the drive. We are at Saint Vincent College on the campus here of course at Chucknoll Field. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage Jump twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years.
Speaker 2: Clearview Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 1: For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission.
Speaker 2: They said, CLEARVIEWFCU.
Speaker 1: Dot org and buy iron Workers Local Union number three.
Speaker 2: We don't go to the office, We build.
Speaker 3: It back on campus, Yuler and Williamson, it's the drive. It is our I guess last segment before we get to the final hour of the day's coverage. Of course, we are with you here on Steelers Nation Radio nine hours every single day.
Speaker 4: That there is quite the lineup.
Speaker 3: It sure is. No one covers training camp like we do here on your twenty four to seven.
Speaker 4: I think the robot's starting can get screwed back by the way.
Speaker 3: It's a second half player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good sixty minute.
Speaker 3: You know some of these some of these guys, you know, once the once the drama gets ratcheted up and the game gets tight and the pressure's on, that's when they're at their best. And I do think the robot is finally now. But man, these two of these guys out here, they've been spending enough time on this robot. It can have this whole field painted and rested.
Speaker 4: It could have been done by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Matt, we have got We're gonna get to tweets in our next segment, So keep those rolling in. We're gonna catch up with our guy Michael McQuaid of Pro Football Ireland tomorrow. He's it's his first day here on campus. I think he was in New Orleans this morning, and the he's been all over the place, like I know, he was at Rams camp and Chargers camp and Seahawks and Saints obviously as he was in New Orleans. So yeah, he's he's been seeing it all. But he'll be I.
Speaker 4: Don't love traveling, and that would be a lot of travel and I'll never get that opportunity as long as I'm doing this for a living. But it would be pretty cool to go camp to camp.
Speaker 3: It would be pretty cool, just the like how it's all different, how.
Speaker 4: It's really different.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, Matt. To close down the hour here, It's been a little while since we've looked at one of Jeremy Fowler's top ten lists, but we still have a few of these to get to and we we probably did about half of them, probably, yeah, maybe close to half. We I wanted to take a look at his tight Ends top ten list and this is not Jeremy's list, specif his, it's you know, he he polls. I think it's over seventy Some league executive scouts coaches and has them rank every single position in the top ten or a top ten in every single position. Pardon me, and we spent some time talking about tight ends in our Fantasy Football UH segment earlier. I wanted to go through his his compiled list here of the top ten at that position, but starting with the honorable mentions, Matt pat Fryermouth checks in at what would be number twelve on this list. He is the second honorable mention, and.
Speaker 4: I still think he's very well respected around the league. He is, frankly, and I am going to throw the last coaching staff under the bus a little, just frankly underused by that group.
Speaker 3: And they're, you know, one of the AFC executives that gave Jeremy an anonymous quote basically says he doesn't seem to ever be a focal point for that offense. He doesn't belong in the top tier of tight ends, but he is a playmaker. When they target him, he usually produces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I've mentioned a few times his numbers just aligned out of the slot are tremendous. And he's also one of the best run after catch guys last year amongst tight ends. I see more of that. Yeah, I quick bubble to him out of the slot, you know, get six yards.
Speaker 3: We better see more of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other honorable mentions Dalton Kincaid, Cole Comet, Jake Ferguson, and Harold Fannin junior. It's a pretty good group. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm glad Fannin' is there not in the top ten. I have a little problem putting the car before the horse a little bit, just because of a very productive rookie year. Yeah, they no one else will throw to.
Speaker 3: No, they did not, And hey, he did a good job when called upon. But he uh, he really gets schemed up in a Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's better than I thought he was. I'm being a little prejudice against my draft bias on him, but I don't know that he's gonna continue to be a top producer at that position.
Speaker 3: Number ten is Travis Kelcey. Matt checks in with that. It was five last year, falls down to ten this year. Far from a burner at age thirty six, but it's hard to argue with his production last season.
Speaker 4: So here's just a tight end. Note that I realized we haven't had a little small conversation about like we often bring up, it takes them a while to learn the nuances of the position, but once they do, they hang around longer than most positions. Too. Some of the great ones have lasted even though they run like me, yeah, you Witt and Gates and those guys with guys and Kelsey's doing that too. And a big reason why is zone coverage. Like okay, I read the zone. Not only like it's easy to say you learn where the soft spots are in zones, but there's more to it than that. It's knowing where the soft spots are going to be. It's almost like Gretzky going, I'm gonna go where the puck is, not where it is now because those soft spots. The defensive guys are smart too, the soft spot between the safety and linebacker. They know that's where you're going. But Kelsey goes there and then drifts to where they were, you know what I mean, Or and then Mahomes throws it to that shoulder, not in the numbers like those are the nuances of playing against own coverage that take a lot of time, Not like I know there's a spot between the corner and safety. It's like, but when the ball gets released, what's going to be there? You know? Or when the ball gets to me, what's going to be there? These guys close pretty.
Speaker 3: Quick, but they're route. Those those veteran tight ends are rout savvy, man.
Speaker 4: They really are.
Speaker 3: Number nine on the list, mad is Mark Andrews. I don't know that seems maybe a little high, but he's obviously still getting some veteran respect. He was number six on this list last year, falls down to number nine this year.
Speaker 4: And both those are a little bit of lifetime achievement awards. Although the names you mentioned don't blow me away that they should knock them out of the top ten either.
Speaker 3: Number eight Kyle Pitts Senior. He was actually he was actually unranked on this last year, but had a had a bounce back year this past season.
Speaker 4: If you're if you take away what the Falcons paid for him on.
Speaker 3: Draft day, yes, I think that's good.
Speaker 4: That works against him a lot. You know a lot of people looked at him.
Speaker 3: He didn't draft himself in the top ten.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I mean he's always been a good play, but like this is crazy, Like when he got drafted in the Dynasty World. He was the first. He was the highest ranked tight end in Dynasty before he ever took a snap. People, I mean like.
Speaker 3: People thought he was going to be Brock Bowers.
Speaker 4: Right, he's the next unbelievable matchup problem. And he's been good. You know, he's big, fast, he gets downfield. He seems to get a little better every year. They just gave him money, but he's not a transcendent. We've never seen anyone like him. Use the fifth pick in the draft, guy, you know, he'd have went the second round.
Speaker 3: And be like, boy, that's that's a nice player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, really really good player.
Speaker 3: If he would have been drafted where Fannin was, they'd be like, oh yeah late first.
Speaker 4: I mean, if we didn't just look at him like it's kind of like the Trevor Lawrence thing. It's like, if you're not the best quarterback in the league, then you know you're not so good, you.
Speaker 3: Know, ye, yep, that's a great point. Number seven. One of the guys, I know, you really like Colson Loveland of the Chicago Bears. Just twenty two years in the top three next year. He obviously wasn't ranked on this last year because he's just a rookie, yeah, for just twenty two years old. For what he was able to do this season, For what he has with Caleb Williams and with Ben Johnson.
Speaker 4: Very capable blocker.
Speaker 3: He's going to be around for a long time.
Speaker 4: He already has the route running acumen. Like Warren might be ahead of him on this list. A lot of people when they both came out thought Warren was the better prospect than Loveland. I never did because if you watch Penn State tape, it was kind of like the fan and thing like, we're going to manufacture all these ways to get our best player of the football, which is how you pete Iowa, you know, right. But Loveland got open on his own. He didn't need the man, he didn't need the help.
Speaker 3: He would ended up getting drafted higher.
Speaker 4: There and you end up going higher a couple of spots, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Number six, another young guy, another one of Matt and I's crushes. If you've listened to this show over the past year, it's Tucker Craft of the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 4: I adore.
Speaker 3: He was an honorable mention on this last year, year three. He checks in at number six.
Speaker 4: I also think he'll be higher but I know these names ahead of him are pretty good too.
Speaker 3: If he gets back to being fully hid healthy. My goodness, he's I mean.
Speaker 4: He's more physical than a lot of this receiver. First dude, he's got a lot more kittle.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say he's got some kittle nasty to his game. Number five is Tyler Warren of the Indianapolis Colts.
Speaker 4: Another one behind those two.
Speaker 3: I think I'd have him behind those two. But I tell you what, when you kind of again you assess the state of this position, there are so many good twenty five and under league right now, and Tyler Warren is certainly one.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's definitely one of them, and he could have a ton of production this year too, especially with Pittman being gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, that's a that's a good call by you. Tyler Warren checks in at number five. So we got a rookie at number five, a rookie at number seven from last year's draft class, Number four Matt speaking of Iowa, Sam Laporta of the Detroit Lions. He was three on this list last year. He checks in at four this year.
Speaker 4: A little bit injury stuff, but like all Iowa guys, he can block better than you think. You know, he's not going to be a killer, he's not going to be Gronk, but he's a really high end player. And like Fannin got so much manufactured for him in Cleveland lastlast year, no one's gonna do that for the Portero. They got Jamison Williams, they got Saint Brown, Teslas guy like and Gibbs. You know. So he's just like fighting for to be the third option, you know. I mean, in a different offense, he'd be featured a lot more.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how Iowa pumps out. That's those tight ends, man, like it, They're unbelievable. It might be the Ohio state and wide receivers would be in the conversation, Like, there'd be a couple.
Speaker 4: Others without a doubt, and there's like no misses.
Speaker 3: It might be the number one position of like what what position group in college translates to the NFL the best in all of college football? Right, it's not Alabama this or Georgia that, or I mean Ohio state wide receivers would be in the conversation. But the answer is probably Iowa tight ends.
Speaker 4: And most of them aren't super high picks either, you know, we're gonna get the Kittle. He's an Iowa guy, a name to know, and he could cause problems with Steelers. Cincinnati's Eric All also from Iowa. He's a guy that he might be an honorable mention next year.
Speaker 3: Number three on this list, the top three, And speaking of the Iowa guys, it is George Kittle. He was number two on last year's list. Matt slides down to number three this year.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean, I know who the top two are. They're gonna be super productive guys. Kittles again, I think one of the most underaged tight ends in history because he's as good a blocker as he is a receiver. He's great after the catch. I mean, I think he's just tremendous.
Speaker 3: He's nasty. Yeah, yeah, a lot of these tight ends are great receivers. Yeah, he's just an all around nasty player.
Speaker 4: He's a real pain to butt play.
Speaker 3: Yes, he is into the top two Matt and again, yeah, I don't think there's a ton of a ton of surprise or controversy with these top two, but they go. Number two is Trey McBride. He was number four Massive numbers number four on this list last year and moves up to number two. Matt in terms of just past catching stuff. He had one of the great individual seasons ever for an NFL tight end last year.
Speaker 4: I remember the year before, Everyone's like, I don't know where to take this guy in fantasy. He can't touch touchdowns, Like, he can't cut the touchdown. It didn't have any of the year before the ge won. That's that's not like a thing.
Speaker 3: I had him on my fantasy team last year in my big money league, and he, uh, he tracked me to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My first round pick was Justin Jefferson, which killed me. Yeah, it's brutal, But Trey McBride I ended up getting in later rounds and he picked up some of that slack. Matt. This is an insane stat. He averaged basically seventy three yards per game last year. He was he was like seventy two point nine to two.
Speaker 4: Really good for a wide receiver, right, really good for wide receiver.
Speaker 3: So basically he averaged seventy three receiving yards per game. That was sixteen more yards than any other tight end per game in the league.
Speaker 4: Wow, the next closest one of the most ever first years.
Speaker 3: I would I would think so, Yeah, they threw.
Speaker 4: The ball a ton. They're always losing and right.
Speaker 3: He also had eleven receiving touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he couldn't catch s touchdowns.
Speaker 3: But number one on this list, Matt, and I don't think there's a lot of controversy here. He was number one on this list last year as a rookie. He stays at the top this year. Still just twenty three years old.
Speaker 4: Brock Powers, I believe he can become an all time great. I mean, I think there's a really strong case, and you may know better than me, that he's the best college tight end that's ever lived.
Speaker 3: Like I'd have to really think about that, but he's definitely in the conversation.
Speaker 4: People say, ditka, but I mean that's going by back a ways, dude, I mean that's the fifties. I mean, but in terms of college player, a lot of people think he's the best college tight end.
Speaker 3: Ever won two national championships.
Speaker 4: Are not washing on the bench. He's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: He's he's just insane, and he has not been in the best situations in Vegas. He is. He has continued to produce and had seven touchdowns in twelve games last year. Set the rookie record with one hundred and twelve catches the year before. Now, with a better coaching staff in place, and.
Speaker 4: You know Mendoza, Mendoza and him.
Speaker 3: Growing up together, he could he could be lighting it up for a long time.
Speaker 4: I've mentioned a few times. One thing I'm really excited about for him is I think he could have a monster season. We kind of talked about fantasy a little bit, like I'm willing to use a very high pick on him. But a year from now, when the Raiders, when it's Mendoza's second year, it's the coaching staff second year, and they had the third pick in the draft, and they take Jeremiah Smith and he's not getting doubled every snap, he may set every tight end record of all time.
Speaker 3: Now that's a great I mean, think.
Speaker 4: About the Raiders if they added Jeremiah Smith or the third pick in the draft or something, right, I'd.
Speaker 3: Be like having Gronk and Randy Moss at the same time. Right, good luck?
Speaker 4: Then young quarterback might like that.
Speaker 3: Two hours in the books, bonus hour when we return to kick off five pm. On the other side, you know what that means, We will hit your tweets when we come back here, so make sure you're getting those in at Wes Leealer, at Williams and NFL questions, comments, concerns, reactions. If you want to get involved with today's show. Two hours in the books, another hour ago, you'll learn Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network