Speaker 1: So depending on when we record a lot of these and we don't know exactly when they air, but so depending on when this airs. This last weekend, I was in Nashville for a convention and it was a great time.
Speaker 2: People there are so amazing.
Speaker 1: The food is incredible, people are unbelievably friendly, but the amount of people that came up to me talking to me about how.
Speaker 2: Excited they are for the live show amazing.
Speaker 1: Every other person was like, I've already got my tickets to the live show. I cannot wait. I'm bringing this person, I'm bringing that person, I'm bringing my family. I'm so excited to do the live shows because we get a taste of how awesome our fans are when we do the conventions, and I think when we do the live shows and it's kind of boy meets world centric and pod meets world centric, people are going to We're just.
Speaker 2: Going to be meeting the coolest people all the way around. I really can't wait to start this thing.
Speaker 3: It's going to be so much fun. I know. I'm looking I'm really looking forward to Nashville in particular because one because you told us about how great everyone was, but also didn't you have some incredible food I found.
Speaker 2: I ate at the scene.
Speaker 1: But so the hotel they put us in was and this is not an exaggeration, thirty steps from one of the best barbecue places in Nashville. I think it's called Milton's, I believe is what it was, called Miller's.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get, you know, hate for that, but oh man, I went three times. When I was there, it was just the pull pork and the brisket.
Speaker 3: And I've never been.
Speaker 1: Oh here we are time, I know, I know, but it was no But now I have a question because we keep getting that. I have my Finsta account, which everybody helped me, so I'm looking at all the comments. When we announce live shows, we have more coming up from all over the country. Right Like, we've only announced certain ones, but there's others coming from other places.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have other dates that will be announced soon. I don't know exactly when they will be announced. There are still some details that need to be worked out with them. But we've only announced what six seven dates, but I think we're total. The goal is that we're going to try to do about fifteen this year, so we're only maybe maximum halfway there with our announcements. There will be more.
Speaker 1: Because I feel bad every time I look at the comments and like come here, come here, come here, and I want to shout like I think we are going to those places.
Speaker 2: Yes, we can actually say that.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, certainly, these are let's say the places that we have announced. Okay, July twentieth, we're in Minneapolis. July twenty first, we're in Milwaukee. July twenty second, we're in Royal Oak, Michigan. And then August fourth, we're in Nashville. August fifth, we're in Saint Louis, August sixth, we're in Kansas City. And September seventeenth, we are in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we know of so far.
Speaker 3: That's what has been announced.
Speaker 4: It's been announced. We know of more.
Speaker 2: We know that we've announced so far.
Speaker 3: Like I'll give you a little tease, we're coming to Philly.
Speaker 4: Oh are we allowed to tease that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna say it right now.
Speaker 2: Of course, of.
Speaker 3: Course we're coming to you guys. Meets the World is from We're from Philly.
Speaker 2: That's not an awesome show.
Speaker 3: That's going to be an amazing show. And September is the official thirtieth anniversary. So although we will also be in Orlando in September, I'm considering when we are in Philly in September. I haven't announced the it yet.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It is the real true thirty thirty anniversary celebration for us for that.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know if you were actually going to say that.
Speaker 3: I'm surprise. I'm not sure if I was supposed to, but I have. And also we have the one and only Tony Quinn is joining us in Kansas City. I'm very excited about that. If you are anywhere near Kansas City, please come out and see us. That should be a.
Speaker 1: Great So excited too. Tony and I've been talking about it. We cannot wait. We're already thinking about fun stuff to do for the show, like.
Speaker 3: If of course, of course, you guys are a real joy together, so I can't I just can't wait to be in the presence of the two of you again. So anyway, Uh, that's it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to party, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited to beat all our fans because the fans are awesome.
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordell. It would be difficult to talk about the landscape of nineties family sitcoms without thinking of our guest this week. She played the iconic Kimmy Gibbler for one hundred and ninety two episodes of full House.
Speaker 4: That's a lot.
Speaker 3: Then she came back for the reboot of Fuller House, clocking in seventy five more half hours. As Kimmy. She played this role that really set the standard for the nerdy best friend, a trope you still see on TV decades later. And before Kimmy, she played Carrie Brady on Days of Our Lives, starting as a six year old for almost one hundred episodes over four years of the soap opera. It's crazy, and people think we grew up on TV. I mean she's like, I mean, truly grew up on TV. But it was in nineteen eighty seven, when Fullhouse debuted and eventually became the flagship show of TGIF on ABC, that she became an unforgettable part of our generation's popular culture, even saying the series final line. This week, we are thrilled to welcome Andrea Barber to Pod meets World. Welcome my friends. Hi, Hey, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm great. I'm so happy to see your faces.
Speaker 3: So nice to see your face. I was just saying in your intro that you have, first of all, you did one hundred episodes of a soap opera starting when you were six years old, then rolling into like you have really truly grown up on television.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know more about my career than I do. I don't remember. I did one hundred episodes of Days of Our Lives. That's a lot, ye, so many.
Speaker 4: That's like two weeks of work.
Speaker 5: That is two weeks of work. So yeah, that's like boot camp for actors.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: So the mid to late eighties when you're on Days of Our Lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was, well, yeah, I was six years old. Let's see, so that was nineteen eighty two if I'm doing the math correctly, early eighties.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow wow maybe yeah, my gosh.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad I was six years old because I would have been a nervous wreck had I started acting on a soap opera as an adult, because it's terrifying. You have to memorize what sixty pages of dialogue every single day. Let's do like your fourteen hour day, like there's just no time to have a life.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it literally is boot camp for actors.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So before you started on that, like what got you interested in acting? Were your parents in the industry? Tell us about your origin story?
Speaker 5: Ooh, my origin story? Okay, Well, I don't have any recollection. I don't have any recollection of being like, oh, I want to be an actor because I started acting at age five, right, you know, I was into like Plato and you know, sidewalk chalk at that age. But my parents were very into community theater, so that was like the thing we did the Barber family, and I have two older brothers. They were forced into it as well, so the whole family we did like a Christmas Carol at the local theater and it was a family hobby. So we were doing one of these community theater productions. It might have been The King and I I don't remember. Anyways, it was during like there was an actor's striker. There was something going on, and there were there were agents out looking for fresh talent, and so my agent was in the audience looking for fresh blood. I don't know, and she approached my parents and were like, hey, are you interested in putting your kids into the business, And my parents, not knowing a thing about the industry, We're like, sure, we'll give it, We'll give it a shot. Why not. So my brothers and I went into Judy Savage was my agent, and Judy's taught me how to slate. And I was again five years old, so I didn't know what I was doing, and so she taught me. You know, you say, hi, my name is Andrea Barber and I'm from the Savage Agency. And so I got up there and I was all confident, you know, my five year old self with my pigtails, and I was like, Hi, I'm Andrea Barber and I'm from the Average Agency. And I got I still got I still got it. She still signed me, and I.
Speaker 3: Really, Now, did she sign your brothers too?
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she represented all three of us for a very long time. And then so my brothers did a lot of commercials. You know, back in the day that commercials were very, very popular and a good source of income for child actors. Yes, so they did that. They did appearances on General Hospital, you know, a couple of things like that. And then when my brothers got to high school. They were like, this sucks, Like, yeah, I don't want to dated doing auditions. You know, It's just it's not a very rewarding career unless you're lucky like I was. And so they were like, we want to play volleyball and we want to play water polo in high school. We don't want to do this acting thing anymore. So they left and they stopped acting and did did varsity sports in high school. And I was, you know, I was still having a lot of success and enjoying it, so I stuck with it.
Speaker 3: So you had signed with the Savage Agency at five, and then you started you started the soap opera at six, so you couldn't have possibly had that many auditions before you booked that gig.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't remember. I don't.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: My very first job before Days of Our Lives was a commercial for for what is it parque margarine or whatever that was. It tastes like butter. So that was very first job at age five, and I don't even remember what I did between that and Days of Our Lives. Yeah, maybe I didn't have many auditions. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean you said job, Yeah, you just kept working I mean you would also end up on a bunch of shows that will make Will very jealous. Fantasy Island Saying Elsewhere and the eighties Twilight Zone. Yeah great, I mean those must have been like incredible learning experiences, unlike my Barbie commercials.
Speaker 1: Well, no, the classic shows were incredible, and we can go through fantasy on all that stuff.
Speaker 2: But I've held in a little.
Speaker 1: Secret that eighties Days of Our Lives when we're talking Bow and Hope, I was totally.
Speaker 5: Ooh and Hope Classic. Still they're probably still on Days of Our Lives.
Speaker 1: I think they're probably still there now. But that's really when it started. In the eighties was like what's going out with Bow and Hope? So you were there for like the Heyday. Sorry, I'm now listening with Days of.
Speaker 6: Our Lives one with the guy with the eye patch too, Yes, patch going to my grandmother's house and that would always be on a pirate on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Peter Recle was a big actor back in the day.
Speaker 5: On The Loved Peter Recle. They were such nice, they were so kind to me, and I was a flower girl in Bowe Hope's wedding, like the dad you were at wedding.
Speaker 1: In Will's mind, and then the fantasy island for the honeymoon.
Speaker 2: Forget it. I can't even I can't do this anymore TV wise. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad you're impressed, because I don't think so. At least I've impressed you will.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You also had a guest starring role on Growing Pains with yet another Cameron sibling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I did. I was the character Ben. I was his like sort of girlfriend sort of for one episode. That's it. And we didn't even tape with an audience. It was such a weird week. I think they were behind or they were I don't know. There was some sort of and so they're like, I just cancel the audience. We're just gonna tape this as it is. So I never got the studio audience experience on Growing Pains, but it was still great. I mean, I knew Kirk and so I knew a bunch of people on the show already, So it was very comfortable and so was full house.
Speaker 3: Then your first live studio audience experience.
Speaker 5: Yes, for sure. Every Friday night it was. It was trippy. It was I mean, you guys know, it was so fun. Those were the days. That's how I spent my Friday nights.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so much fun. How do you remember the feeling of it being incredibly different than doing the soap? Like do you remember being like, oh, all the work I had previously done on the soap is totally different than this new thing I'm doing with a live studio audience at a sitcom.
Speaker 5: I don't remember it being that different, Like, the live studio audience is such a it's such a joyful energy surge that I wasn't like, oh wow, this is a totally foreign world to me. It just I mean, acting is acting, and it's like you read a script, you memorize the lines, and you you know, you spit it out. So it didn't feel too different. But I knew it was something special, you know, because of the because of the relationship I have with the cast and the way that we all gelled and had that chemistry right from day one. It felt definitely special, and the live studio audience was just the icing on the cake.
Speaker 3: Do you remember your audition for Kimmy Gibbler?
Speaker 5: I don't I feel so bad? I get that question a lot and I mean I was ten when I auditioned for Full House. I auditioned for the role of DJ. First, didn't get that, but they called me back because they're like, oh, we want to have you know, a neighbor girl, you know, DJ's best friend. Can you read for the role of Kimmy Gibbler? And I was like, okay. So, you know, when you're a kid actor auditions, you just you don't think about it. You just knew it. It's just such a routine. Rote I was like, all right, here's another one. You don't know, Oh, I'm auditioning for this hit TV show is going to change my life and go for the next you know, thirty five years. You don't think that. Fine, No, So for me, it was just another audition. I was like, all right, let's just do it. And it obviously it was great, but I don't remember it specifically. No.
Speaker 3: We had Jody on the show recently and.
Speaker 5: I listened to that episode. It was so good. Yeah, unfriendly, she's so shy, she's very she's very introverted and a lot.
Speaker 2: Not a fan.
Speaker 6: It's so interesting though, between with her and you that you guys and I guess the Olsen's in a way like you guys were a cast of people who just were already acting by the time you like became conscious, right, do you know what I mean? Like, because she started on the show when she was five or six, and she also doesn't really remember life without acting. That's a that's a really interesting environment.
Speaker 1: Candis was the same way, it wasn't she a Candas started really young as well, like really young.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all started very young and had several years under our belts before full House.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so you guys started a little older you were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we were all eleventh.
Speaker 3: Plus started ten eleven, twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so you remember life before right, yes, yeah, exactly you started act? Okay, Yeah, I don't have that. I don't remember anything before life.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: It is really interesting because yeah, you're right, right, or I hadn't put that together that like that entire cast was made of people who were pros by the time they started.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, because you guys started at such a younger age. Yeah, it's so interesting.
Speaker 6: And you guys are still very close, right, I mean that's what Joe. Yeah, yeah, it's I think there's like even more of an intense family vibe you know, like protecting each other as children essentially, you know, like in a way that Yeah.
Speaker 4: We were much more.
Speaker 6: I think we were more of a teen show, you know what I mean, Like you guys were more of a family kids show, or you were kids on a family show, whereas we were like a teenager show.
Speaker 3: In you know, he started as kids and then they very quickly were like, now you're a teen show, and so we became teens very quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they separated the family life from kind of the school life a lot more on our show than Full House, where it's really was the family vibe, right, Yeah, so we I mean by what the six or seventh year, Betsy and Rustie were barely on the show, So it was that we really, yeah, moved from that kind of dynamic.
Speaker 3: Andrea, were you a were you a quirky kid? Did the character of Kimmy Gibbler speak to you? Did you, like just did it come very naturally? Did you love it?
Speaker 5: It came very naturally. I did love it. I'm nothing like Kimmy Gibler. It never have been. It's so far out like I was a shy I've always been an awkward person, Like I've made a whole career out of being awkward. But I've always been awkward, but I'm very introverted and shy, whereas Kimmy was just like like and she's just like lets it all out, you know. March is to the beat of her own drum, doesn't care, says what's on her mind, tats everyone around her. And I don't think I'm that way. I'm just much more shy, kind of like hide in the background. Let me disappear in the background and be a wallflower. But I always felt awkward. And maybe that's different because Kimmy Gibler never felt awkward. She just felt like herself and she owned it and loved it and was proud of it. She didn't feel different, she felt great about herself. And it was I think about that now as an adult and I'm like, what a great role model Kimmy Gibler was, you know. And I hear that from fans now, how they're like, oh my gosh, we related to Kimmy Gibler as like the offbeat one, you know, the different one. And that's that's a thing with Rkle Kimmi Gibbler, there's you always have that character on these sitcoms, and so I think it spoke to a lot of kids that felt unpopular or like they didn't fit in, and so I'm really proud of it. Now. I welcome the offbeat part of my personality, you know, I just I welcome all of that. I think there's a lot of strength in being yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a strange kind of because there's always comparisons with Boym's World and Full House kind of you know, that's in the same kind of zeitgeist. And there's something so interesting about how Full House seemed to kind of lean into exactly what you're talking about, the being yourself and the kind of this leaning into the strange for lack of a better word, where it seemed like boy Mee's World tried that and then would quickly move away.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Tapango was was very strange and then they moved away from that. Mincus was just completely taken off the show. So there's something we kind of got to the norm, if that makes sense, and we we tried the strange, and then I'm just curious as to why the kind of dichotomy between the two shows, because people think they're so similar and yet it seems like everything that Full House leaned into, Boyman's World leaned away from. And I don't know why that would happen from two different shows.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just because as you were saying that, I was like, yeah, Topango was was the weird, offbeat, quirky one, and then till she wasn't and then Minkus was the off quirky wine until he was just gone.
Speaker 2: Isn't strange, But isn't.
Speaker 6: Full House like essentially a show of about people from people being together like cramped and misfits, like all different types of people living in a house or living in a one together, whereas Boy Meets World's literally in the title is about like one boy sort of experiencing the world, like you know, it's less of a it's we we softened a lot of our edges, you know, like we were a show about Yeah, I don't know, Yeah, it's it's a good point.
Speaker 4: I wonder what that It's just.
Speaker 2: So strange, like, yeah, because we leaned away from it very quickly.
Speaker 5: I think the similarities are though, in that Boy Meets World and Full House are about essentially chosen family. You know, it's not a traditional at least for full house. It's not the traditional mom, dad and two kids. It's like you you love who you choose to be in your life. And that's kind of the same with Boy Meets World. It's like it's formed a family. You were teenagers, you were friends, but you were still essentially like a family.
Speaker 2: Right that makes sense. Yeah, do you guys.
Speaker 3: Remember the moment where you realized like, oh, this is a special show or have you did you guys know it from the beginning. Do you remember there being a moment where you were like, oh my gosh, we're a hit.
Speaker 5: Well, it probably hit each of us at different times. And as you know, there was no social media, so there was just Nielsen ratings and that was our only gauge of how well the show was doing. And that just seemed like such foreign numbers to me. So, okay, you know how many millions of people watched the House this Friday night? And I'm like that that meant number made no sense to me as a teenager. I was just like, Okay, that's impressed. That's good. But it didn't really it didn't sink in for me until the show went to Disney World during I don't even know what season that season six or seven, we went to Disney World and so we had like security and we had part portions of the park blocked off for us to do filming, and we just attracted so many crowds and suddenly we have security guards escorting us through the park and people following us. And then the story that I know Jodie Sweeten probably told on this podcast because she's told it before about fans following us into the bathroom and passing paper under the stall, like can I get your autograph? Yes, I was there for that like that that I was there, and so that's where I was like, holy crap, Yeah, this show is huge. That's when we really That's when I personally really felt the reach of the show and just how popular, Like I felt like a celebrity, yeah for the first time, whereas before I was like, Oh, I'm just a kid actor. I'm a child actor and I'm having fun on the show. Yeah, And then Disney World, I was like whoa, Like we.
Speaker 3: Are We're a big deal, we are a famous crazy When did they?
Speaker 2: When did you leave TGIF? Because it started as a TGIF show, right.
Speaker 5: It did, and then it was the later season, So don't quote me on this. There's some fan out there that's going to leave a comment that tells you.
Speaker 2: The exact That's all right, Danielle, get them all anyway.
Speaker 5: So we're fine, Okay, good, we'll wait for that email. But I want to say it was seasons fix maybe.
Speaker 4: Seven, and then right when we started that would have been ninety three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like ninety three, because oh yeah, never full House and Boy Meets World we're ever on TGIF at the same time the same time.
Speaker 2: I don't think they were backrilege.
Speaker 6: I know, I remember feeling like Full House had graduated, it was a real show, and we were still stuck in the like minor leagues of TGIF.
Speaker 5: Oh, but we were so sad to leave TGIF because I think that was where that was where it worked, that was where the magic was. Everybody that was must see TV, appointment TV kids could watch these shows with their families and enjoy it and not feel like there's any you know, bad things happening on screen. So when we moved to Tuesday nights, we were all afraid. We're like, oh my gosh, what if our ratings tank because now we're in a totally different demographic. You know, it's not like Friday night movie night with parents. It's Tuesday nights and kids have school the next day, so we were really worried about a big ratings drop, and I don't I don't think the ratings dropped a whole lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my, So, not to put you on the spot, but TGIF has changed so much over the years. Do you remember the lineup when Full House aired? Do you remember the other shows that were on the TGF lineup? Was this like the Perfect Stranger days? What was on with you guys?
Speaker 5: I think we were just post Perfect Strangers, although there was overlap because Perfect Strangers filmed at the stage next to us, so I'm sure there was some overlap. But I thought it was Full House, Family Matters, step by step, and I guess it wasn't Boy Me, so it wasn't if we weren't on at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at night hanging with mister Cooper.
Speaker 5: Maybe I feel like that was before that was another Jeff Franklin show. But I feel like that was before full.
Speaker 3: It may have been Dinosaurs that was on TGIF with you.
Speaker 2: Maybe that could have been dinosaurs, You're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could have been dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: That would have round it out areas because the lineup has changed so many times, you wonder you know what it was at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, full House moved. I got a note from our producers. Full House moved to Tuesdays in nineteen ninety two, and we started in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, and we wrapped in ninety fought ninety five.
Speaker 1: Right, So I mean like Dinosaurs was on with Full House that we just got that note too, Okay, all right?
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 5: I love that you got like people in your ear tell you all the things we're wondering. That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: It's really it works really well. I expect them to follow me around through all my life and just the answers I want for things to just be there.
Speaker 5: I find the bread in the exactly.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about it, which is the thank you.
Speaker 3: Now, since you and Candace, you guys played best friends, and we're also I think the closest in age, what was your relationship like during the course of the show.
Speaker 5: I loved Candace. I still do. She's great. It's great having someone to go through milestones with.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The first kiss, which was on screen in front of a live studio audience and our parents like the very same episode so we were both we could you know, bond over how mortifying that was and just stuff, all the girls stuff, you know, you go through. It was great having a friend. I did always think that she was much cooler than I was. She was just a lot more mature, even though they were the same age, you know, like she bought her first car before me, and I felt like she was just cooler and right socializing more and I was just like, again, the shy little kid that didn't really go out and socialize or go to any it didn't go to a whole lot of these industry parties or anything like that. So I always was like, wow, Candas is like so cool. So at some point I actually became closer to Jodie Sweeten because I was like, oh, well, she's five years younger than I can totally relate to that, Like that's my that's my jam is hanging out with someone five years younger than I. So Jody and I became very very close as the seasons went on, and spent a lot of time together off the set as well, which is which is great. I love having those memories with her.
Speaker 3: Do you have a favorite episode and and is it? Is it your favorite because you actually love the episode, or is it because of the behind the scenes memories.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I absolutely have a favorite episode. It's the episode where DJ forgets Kimmy's sixteenth birthday party. Okay, so it was one of the rare episodes where me, like the sidekick, got an episode just focused on me, like I was the a storyline for once, and I was like, whoo, let's celebrate. But also I loved that episode because you finally got to see a different side of Kimmy Gibbler, who was always just like you know, the one liners, the joke, the butt of everyone's jokes. But in this particular episode, you got to see Kimmy get upset and mad at DJ and actually have like emotion because DJ had forgotten about Kimmy's birthday because she was too busy planning her six month anniversary with her boyfriend Steve, and so Kimmy was very hurt when she found out that. You know, they they threw this fake birthday party with toilet paper streamers and a hash brown cake. It was so thrown together, but Kimmy was so happy us to be recognized by the Tanners as somebody worth throwing a party. For and then it all came crashing down and Kimmy and DJ had this wonderful emotional moment out in the backyard. And I love that episode because I got to do something other than these zingers and these one liners. I got to like, actually do something different and show some emotion. So hands down, that's my favorite episode.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I didn't hear anything after hash brown Cake?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about that for a second.
Speaker 3: Is it literally the entire.
Speaker 2: Cake made of potatoes and hash browns. That's a great idea.
Speaker 5: And they had candles in there and like ketch up, like the ketchup frosting.
Speaker 6: It was just a cake cake, okay, yes?
Speaker 4: And then cake with whipped cream frosting.
Speaker 6: I'm okay with like picking cream cake, but regular birthday cake fry.
Speaker 2: I've been faking it for years. Rider. I'm not a fan of cake.
Speaker 3: I don't like crown cake. That sounds that sounds really good, thank you calling.
Speaker 5: The party was thrown together in five minutes, and they didn't have cake mix. They had hash browns, so they made a cake out of hash browns and put candles in it. This was really smart's very on brand for Kimmy Gibbler to have.
Speaker 4: But this is what we're focusing on.
Speaker 3: I know, a full house influencing lives this many years later, we're about to change everything over here over a hash brown cake. Speaking of storylines, some pretty crazy storylines. There was once a storyline where Kimmy was promoting a chintail, a ponytail but for your chin do you have? Like, is there a craziest storyline Kimmy had?
Speaker 5: Well, this wasn't fuller house, not full house it was and I had to get extensions because my hair wasn't even long enough. But it was Yeah, you make it. It's like a beer wow. It's like a very founding fathers as a situation, and make a chintail wow, and then you could like I would like my nose like I was crying and so I was like shabb my eyes with a chintail.
Speaker 3: Years ago, I'm like, so, what was the craziest Kimmy Gibbler's storyline you remember?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, Well, there was there's many. I have to pick one. Let's see. There's there was the episode where Kimmy was giving herself a perm like I do it yourself perm and hair dye job in DJ's room and so of course it turned out heinous, and so I ended up with like Ronald McDonald's hair. It was bright red and frizzy all over all over, and Kimmy loved it. She was like, this is fantastic, you know. She thought it was great. And I looked like Ronald McDonald with red, frizzy hair. And then I had I got like a rash. I just this is what you remember. I remember getting a rash from this horrible wig and I had to wear for all these scenes. So that was crazy. Gosh, what us was crazy? Like everything. We had a donkey on the show. We have so many weird animals on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you do one hundred and ninety episodes, you start getting into the wheel where it's like, because we've heard you beat us, we're at like one sixty five and people are like, we can't wait till the second episode with the baron. We're like, wait, what, there's right too. Yeah, when you're getting too one hundred ninety episodes, they at that point it's like, we have.
Speaker 4: A chimps Do we have a chimpanzee on our show?
Speaker 3: Or we have Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did. I worked with several monkeys on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, any on our show. Yeah, you friend stole that from our shows.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had the same monkey we had Marcel on our show one of the times.
Speaker 3: Because the other monkey we had was not Marcel. I just worked with the trainer.
Speaker 4: I worked with the training monkeys going around, And I mean that's a thing, you know.
Speaker 5: It's they're high in demand apparently, but it is.
Speaker 1: You always everybody does the food fight. Everybody had, you know, you do at least one food fight. You have the different animals on the show. It's like you start their state for being on a show like that.
Speaker 4: Still a thing? Or is that very ninety sixty.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's moved to like Disney Disney Channel, Nickelodeon kind of thing. Is that vibe? I don't think on network TV you're there because there's no young shows on network TV anymore. The family sitcom doesn't exist in this horrible world we live in right now?
Speaker 2: Is the problem? Because it should?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well there the show that I'm on now or I will be hopefully when the writer strike ends. Is that girl Leyley on Nickelodeon, And it's the same. It's a sitcom, family sitcom and they have the family pet is a pig like this giant bore. So yeah, I think it's the tradition lives on. It does find the.
Speaker 2: Run is doing a family sitcom? I mean doing a family sitcom is it's just fun? It's like, yeah, we need more of them?
Speaker 5: Are I need more of them? I agree?
Speaker 1: I have a question for you, take because you've done so much, and again I'm a television aholic, taking full House out of the scenario, what's the favorite show you've ever done?
Speaker 5: Come on, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: My mom and mom taking full fuller House. That's cheating, that's cheating. It might have to be growing pains just because I was such like I was such a fifteen year old girl and I had such a crush on Jeremy Miller. You know, I got to kiss him in the episode, and suddenly I was in love. You know. I was like, oh my god, we're soulmates, which we weren't, but I.
Speaker 3: I wanted that.
Speaker 5: Rob there. Robin Thick was at our tape when we were taping, because he was Allan's are you still Alan's son? And I was like, I was head over heels for I was just boy crazy. So I was just like, wow, Jeremy Miller and Robin Thick here like this is just the best thing in the universe for a fifteen year old girl.
Speaker 2: Was that your first on screen kiss? When you when you kiss Jeremy?
Speaker 5: No, my first on spring kiss was on Full House when I was thirteen, a boy that I was not excited to kiss at all. I was very excited to kiss Jeremy Miller, but not Bitterman was the character's name on the Full House. And you know, I'm sure he's a lovely person now. At the time, I like, you know, I just wasn't. I was thirteen. I wasn't yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have children now, nineteen and sixteen, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh you've done your research. I'm so impressed. Yes, I have a nineteen year old and a sixteen year old boy and a girl, and so I'm on edge all the time. Right, Yes?
Speaker 3: Have they seen all the episodes of full House and Fuller House? Do they not care?
Speaker 5: They don't, Like, there's no one that is less of a fan of my work than my children love it. They are just and they go through stages according to their development. Like in elementary school, they were just still trying to like figure it out and then when they hit middle school, they hated it, Like they didn't want to go anywhere with me. They didn't want to be seen with me. Like we went into a Starbucks once and I got recognized by all of their classmates that were in there getdy frappuccinos, and they were like, Mom, we have to leave right now. They're recognized.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: They were so mortified in middle school. But then they got to high school and it's like, oh, it's cool. Suddenly they have clout.
Speaker 4: Like status bump. They'll take what they can do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so they now like, you know, now they think it's cool. And then once they got to high school too, they started coming to the Fuller House tapings, and so they finally got it. Like before it was just this ethereal thing that mom went off to do right and embarrass herself, you know, especially as a teenager I looked. So they were always like, Mom, why did you wear that?
Speaker 2: Mom?
Speaker 5: Why did you say that? But as an adult, it was great to bring them onto the Fuller House set so they could actually see how the sausage is made, and suddenly they were like, this is so cool. And they made friends with the kids on the show and they want to to come every Friday night to the tapings and hang out, and so suddenly it was cool again for Mom to be on TV. So I don't think they watched the show. They've seen some episodes, and I think they binged a few seasons of Fuller House, but they really have zero interest in what I do. Yeah, those kids, they don't really care about their parents' career. No, and this is no different.
Speaker 1: You are also in a unique position where full House for so long and then Fuller House comes back, like Boy Meets World and Girl Meets World, And we've often talked about on this podcast just how the vibe between the two shows was essentially different on the set. Did you experience any of that? Was it kind of this did you guys fall right back into it? Was it the same kind of vibe and Bullerhouse or was it different?
Speaker 5: It was very similar. It was because we were walking onto the same stage, like Stage twenty four at Warner Brothers. We were walking on the same stage, the same set. I mean, it was such a time warp. And then the same dressing rooms. Although candas Jody and I had graduated to the adult dressing rooms, we had bigger dressing rooms now. But other than that, it was the same, the same crafty room, the same hair and makeup room. So and we really tried to bring that whole spirit, you know of like it's a family show. Let's bring the kids into the fold. The kids are well cared for and taken care of. So it felt really similar. It's just candas Jody and I were the adults now and trying to pass on those same values that we learned from John, Bob and Dave and Laurie. Just creating that great family feel like everybody's comfortable, the kids come first. It's always about the kids, it's not about the shot. And so yeah, we tried to replicate that. So it felt really similar to me. But I enjoyed it so much more on Fuller House because of the the gratitude, Like I had so much more perspective and gratitude that second time around that I was like, Wow, this is this is so special and never thought we would get to do it again, and the fact that we got to do it for five seasons was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. Yeah, what a special experience, you know, Like really great was when they brought the idea of Fuller House back to you. Were you immediately on board or were you thinking like, hmm, I'm not sure how I'm gonna play Kimmy as a rational grown adult, Like, did you have any reservations about going back to Kimmy Gibbler when Fuller House was first brought up.
Speaker 5: Oddly enough, no, I didn't even hesitate when Jeff Franklin called and he was like, Hey, we're thinking of doing a reboot. Are you willing to reprise the role of Kimmy Gibler. I didn't even hesitate, like I answered on the spot. I was like yes. It wasn't even like let me think about it, let me talk to my family. No, I was like, yes, let's do it, Which is weird because I had quit acting, like I had stopped acting after Full House. Fullhouse ended in ninety five. I was in my first year in college and I was just kind of done. I was like, all right, I've been doing this a long time. I'm ready to just explore different parts of myself and my interests. So I stopped acting for almost twenty years and was just a normal person with a normal family, and so I hadn't ever planned to go back into the business until Jeff Franklin called and was like, let's do a reboot, And I was surprised at the speed in which I said yes, mostly because of the people, because I'm like, I would just love to work with the people that I love so much again, and I trusted Jeff to keep the legacy of the show positive and uplifting and not like wreck the legacy. You know, I think he really captured the spirit a full House in Fuller House. And it also just on a personal note, like Fuller House came into my life at such a perfect time because I was I had just signed my divorce papers. I was really depressed. I was like lost. I was like, well I couldn't I'm like, what am I going to do with my I've been a mom for so long. I don't know who I am. I don't know what I'm gonna do with my life. And then like literally four days after I signed my divorce papers, Jeff Franklin called and I'm like, this is a sign, Like, this is a sign that this is where I'm meant to be. And it came into my life at such a perfect time for me personally.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, what I love those things. I love those things when you're exactly what you said where you're just like, I'm literally looking out going, what is it? What's next? Life? What do you want from me? And then the phone rings. I mean, it's literally what happened.
Speaker 5: It's literally what happened. No, you're just like, well, it's kismet. It's meant to be. There's somebody up there looking out for me, and I am eternally grateful for that.
Speaker 3: So you you mentioned that you're on Vack Girl Lele, which I know a lot of people who work on that show, a lot of crew who work on other shows that I direct on. Yeah, everyone says the greatest things about that set and what I want, What a wonderful place it is to work. How does it feel to be back now on yet another family sitcom? And how does it feel to work with a different set of kids than the kids you worked with on Fuller House.
Speaker 5: I love it? Like that's if I could just do sitcoms for the rest of my life, Like I don't need to grow as an actor, Like I am so happy in my wheelhouse and it's fun. It's a family friendly schedule. Like it's it's fun and I'm good. I feel really confident because I'm good at it and I just love it. It's a happy environment. We got so lucky that it's it's again like a family feeling on the set, and it's hard. I hear all these horror stories about bad sets and you know, angry directors and you know, mistreatment, and I'm like, I've been so lucky. I haven't experienced that. So yeah, I love being on this show. I'm the principle. I played Principal Willingham, so I'm like the weird principle that's always trying to like discipline kids but also fit in right and be the cool principle but constantly failing at that. So it's great and the kids are great. The kids were a little greener coming into coming into this show, so they were looking to me. They were like, oh, you know, you're the veteran, like we're gonna tell us what to do, yeah, which I felt a lot of pressure. I was like, oh, dang, don't look at me like I don't want to be the example. And of course, the very first scene of the pilot that we taped, you know, I had the first line and I completely botched it and forgot it, and everyone was like the kids. Lay Le, the star of the show, is like, I'm so glad you messed up because I've been so worried about messing up. So now that you've messed up, I feel much better about it.
Speaker 3: And then you were like, I did that on purpose.
Speaker 2: That was a choice.
Speaker 5: That was a choice, that was deliberate. Yeah. So the kids are the kids are great. It's so, it's so fun.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: It is interesting being an adult on a sitcom when I grew up as a kid on a sitcom, because I'm always like, those phones away, Like why do you have your phone on set? You know, don't eat on set, Like there's rules that like we yeah, we we didn't have I didn't have a cell phone back in the eighties and nineties. But still, you know, you show me work, you pay attention, You don't play with the props, you don't eat on set, like these are basic rules. And so when I see these things happening, I'm kind of like the mom in me comes out, Ye, put your phone away. You don't need that right now.
Speaker 3: It's really funny, you know. When I interviewed to direct over on Raven's Home, that was one of the things Raven and I immediately bonded over was like, yeah, it was like we nine eighties and nineties kid acting. You were expected to be an adult professional even though you were a kid, and all of those things like we would we would have been called out and stopped immediately if we were messing around with the props or if we had been whatever the equivalent of cell phones were. I mean there were times when we would giggle and be talking while the direct while something was going on, and the directors would say quiet, we're working, and and they were right like we were being unprofessional. And it's just funny because the there's been a lot of changes over the years, and most of them have been for the better. That make that make the environment better for kids, but also in a lot of ways, some of the very like learning of the true like one oh one sitcom acting has been lost in some of the permissiveness and ease that we have on sets. Now.
Speaker 1: You remember getting yelled at and being told that we could no longer eat during the table read vaguely, yeah we were because Ben would always you remember, he'd walk in and he'd always make his bage bagel bagel with locks and creations locks cream cheese, the papers and the capers, like it was a whole process and we'd all be making our stuff and then we'd mess up a line or have food in our mouth, and by like the fourth time, Michael was like, all right, that's it.
Speaker 2: Food is done before the table reads.
Speaker 3: If you want to eat, get here early and exactly.
Speaker 1: Yep, and you are not eating during the table So we all got a talking to you where it's like no, no, no, this is this is work time now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was we all heard that stuff. It's incredible.
Speaker 5: I agree with that. I and gum too. I was always so don't chew gum when you're doing a table read or hurt even rehearsal. But it was our moms, Like, I don't know if your parents were like, it was our moms that were like, don't do you know, don't do that. They the moms were very involved with the discipline of us as child actors. They were like, yeah, you gotta know your lines. We're going to rehearse your lines with you. Don't chew gum.
Speaker 3: Like my Thom was very hands on, and I think that's probably because you guys were all more pros by the time you started our parents were all very hands off. Oh really, our parents were very much like we rarely even saw them. They were there and we knew they were there, but they were mostly sitting in the in the studio audience. They never interjected or tried to like they were if they had notes or anything they shared with us, it was on our private time in the car or in our houses. I mean there was ne they were not physical, like we didn't feel them on the second.
Speaker 6: Again, we were older, ye, just the difference between five and eleven is you're.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I mean Lily's parents were always there.
Speaker 2: I think Lindsay's parents were always there.
Speaker 1: So when when we did have the younger actors and I think Lee was Lee's.
Speaker 4: Mom wouldn't have been on set.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: Everyone was there, but they but like as far as like pay attention to the director or like, there was none of that. They were like literally like around the back or whatever. They were there, but they weren't like hanging out and helping discipline it.
Speaker 3: We got all those lessons from our directors, like our directors and and Bill and you know, they were all very much like this is how you be a professional, and this is how it's going to work, and we soaked it up and did not want to disappoint. So yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Probably better that way, because I think kids are more apt to listen to a director than their mom, their parent.
Speaker 3: Actually, it is true looking back now, all this many years later, how do you overall reflect on your time on Full House?
Speaker 5: I have nothing but positive things to say. And I know, you know, child actors get a bad rap, and there's there's a lot of actors now who played the offbeat character or the wacky character that really want to distance themselves from that character and don't ever want like to be referred to it or do the catchphrase or anything like that. And I've never felt that, like I've always embraced this, you know, as embarrassing as it was to play Kimmy Gibbler as a teenager when I already felt so awkward in my body, I've I've have nothing but positive memories and gratefulness for it. So I'm all about, Hey, you want a catchphrase, you want O lot Tanrito's, I'll give you an I don't shy away from it at all. It was a different childhood. It was. It's all I know, It's all I know. I don't know what my life life would have been like without being on TV, but I felt very enriched as well, Like I still went to my high school proms, I still had friends outside of Hollywood, and I think that balance helped me feel great about the whole thing. Like I don't feel like I missed out on childhood. It was just enhanced like it on TV. And I also had this non Hollywood life at my regular public high school with my regular public school friends.
Speaker 3: Where did you grow up? Again? What city did you guys live in?
Speaker 5: Orange County is where I grew up?
Speaker 3: Same me too, because I was going to see yeah, yeah. I was Also when we started Boy Meets World, I was living well. Actually, when we started Boy Meets World, I had just moved, but I originally grew up I was auditioning from Orange County, and then by the time Boy Meets World started, we had moved to Calabasas And I also had a very similar experience. Went back to my regular high school and went to all my school dances, Like really got to experience the best of both worlds. As far as I'm can.
Speaker 5: It makes a difference. I think that makes a huge difference in just keeping you grounded and then your whole life isn't in Hollywood. You have you know, you have, you have perspective, you know. Yeah, I went home. I still had to do my chores, you know. I still had to do my homework and my my Spanish lessons. I do my oral Spanish exams at school, which was terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just pro at least you got to say ol taneritos, so you were already ahead in Spanish.
Speaker 5: Seriously, I could have got an extra credit for that, right.
Speaker 4: Reading Spanish to the world.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Well, Andrea, thank you so much for being here with us today and spending time with us talking about these you were. You were the og t g I f We now know you paved the way. You paved the way.
Speaker 5: Did we paved the way? And then you guys took it and made it even better.
Speaker 1: I still think it over the fact that you were at Bow and Hope's wedding.
Speaker 5: That's all iower, girl, I have. I can dig up some pictures and send them to you. Guys.
Speaker 3: Please please send those to us. Actually we will. We will use them on our Instagram and and will will also frame one in his house.
Speaker 1: If that's that's not too weird, that's not at all. I want an original invitation. You are invited to bow in Hope's wedding on days of our life.
Speaker 2: That's like it is.
Speaker 1: It's like you know, having patches Patch, come on, crazy, good old Patch.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Andrea, We uh we hope to talk to you again soon. Maybe we'll have you back for another t G. Maybe we'll do a g G.
Speaker 1: I we should watch a full house and you should watch a World.
Speaker 3: Let's do it the great idea. Let's do.
Speaker 4: You and Jody watch a Boy Meets World. Yes, let's you.
Speaker 1: Will watch a full house and we'll do what we'll do the old. We're going to call it t G. I f old switchero gg.
Speaker 5: I am so there. I am so there. You guys have to pick the Boy Meets World episode and Jody and I will pick the full House episode.
Speaker 3: Okay, so perfect? Perfect, Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for this. We've been talking ever since we started the podcast, We've been talking about what else should we we should do a rewatch of this, we should have this is the old. This is the first time it's really like made sense. Yes, perfect, Okay, great, a teg. I have Switcheroo. Thank you so much. I love you, thanks, thanks for being here, and love.
Speaker 5: You guys so much. I hope to see you at nineties Con. This is Sampa. Yeah doing Yeah, I'll be there too, so yay amazing.
Speaker 3: We will get to squeeze each other. Then yes, wait, thank you bye. Oh my gosh, so much fun. I love a switcheroo idea. Which episode are we going to pick?
Speaker 1: Can I? I? Well, here's the thing before we get there. Either's something I didn't want to confess to her.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, please confess please.
Speaker 2: I have never seen a TG. Never seen a full House or a Fuller House.
Speaker 4: Either of either. Not a single episode me either.
Speaker 1: Not one episode of full House or Full of House have I ever seen in my life.
Speaker 6: I've never I've seen clips, like I've definitely know like what it looks like, and I definitely know that I know the fact that like whenever it went to one of the Olsens, it was a single camera like on because they had to isolate them on their own, Like I remember hearing that and then seeing that on the show.
Speaker 4: But I've never watched an episode, although.
Speaker 3: Through I've only seen.
Speaker 6: There you go and my best friend Sean Fox, who I have talked about on the show, was in The Three Ninjas. He one of his first jobs was a guest star on Full House. He played like JODI's first boyfriend. But never seen it.
Speaker 3: My first speaking role on a TV show that wasn't a commercial was and I've only seen those two episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen idea we have friends.
Speaker 4: That are over there. I've also never seen a step by Step. I have no idea what step by Step is about.
Speaker 2: It's about idea, what it's about, is it?
Speaker 4: No, it's like a family. It's like a combined family situation.
Speaker 3: It's like a modern modern Brady Bunch.
Speaker 4: But then what is full House? Isn't full House the same thing?
Speaker 2: No, full House? They're all, aren't They all blood relatives?
Speaker 3: In full House they're like, but I don't think they're real related by blood. I think they're just friends.
Speaker 2: That they're actually there's just living on your couch for eight years.
Speaker 4: Got the amount of fans who are listening right now.
Speaker 3: Nowhere not we don't know? Okay, okay, they have Uncle Jesse. He's related by blood. This is from our producers. And then Joey is their dad's friend.
Speaker 1: Because your dad who's Joey.
Speaker 3: Yes, Bob Saggot. So his wife died I think, and he has kids, the three kids, the mom died.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 6: We should just watch it. That's the way this has to work. And we should do a step by steps with you, and we should do a.
Speaker 1: Is what we'll call them from now on. I love it. Oh right, Danielle, you asked a very important question. What episode would we give them? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which episode will we pick?
Speaker 6: Honestly, it depends if they've ever seen an episode of if they've seen an episode of Points World.
Speaker 4: We just pick.
Speaker 6: Like a fun one like the I was gonna say we give everybody the Scream episode. But then if it's just yeah, I mean, I mean alternative friends, Like, what's.
Speaker 3: We should do?
Speaker 1: You know? Be mean as we go, We're going to give you. The best episode we've ever done was the Honeymoon episode.
Speaker 7: Theym you guys and we you you know, like it's the best episode.
Speaker 2: Like, what is episode we've.
Speaker 4: Watch so far? Can we all agree? Is there a bad episode? Kid Gloves?
Speaker 3: I didn't like kid Gloves.
Speaker 7: I didn't like kid Gloves either, Will kid really did not like three of us were like, yeah, kid Gloves is the one where he gives the gloves and then nobody even acknowledges Corey's birthday.
Speaker 2: No one evens isn't that what the pool?
Speaker 4: Yes, just to get a graduate.
Speaker 2: So yeah, kid Gloves is up there. But yeah no there's somebody. Okay, but it's a good question. You have to think about which one we would actually.
Speaker 3: You know, when we've only seen two episodes that this point. Really so it's a little like, well maybe maybe season three. We'll pick an episode from season three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Now the question is do we should we match their seasons?
Speaker 6: Meaning I think we just we have we say we stipulate that it has to be from like midway through the show.
Speaker 4: It can't be like.
Speaker 6: The beginning, Okay, in the middle somewhere.
Speaker 3: Season three is good and the season something from our season three where we're like definitely hit our stride. We're we're like established, we know what we are, and same for them, and we.
Speaker 4: Are super exciting.
Speaker 5: Three.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited for this.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm really excited to be cool. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram, Pod Meets World Show. Oh, I keep talking. I don't know why I was expecting somebody else to say something.
Speaker 1: You can send doing this for ninety episodes now, Danielle carry you can send.
Speaker 3: Us your emails. Bond Meets World's show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Take over this part now and we have merch.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Just what writer did merch. Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 3: Now, Pod Meets worldshow dot com. Why don't you at show dot com? All right? Go ahead, keep going, writer.
Speaker 4: That's it what we already said that part, didn't we?
Speaker 3: And then and then and then what happens at the end?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Danielle, send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Writer Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Jackie Rodriguez, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. You can follow us on Instagram at pod meets World Show or email us at pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.