Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio our.
Speaker 2: Two on this Meat Friday, and quite a meat Friday it is. We have two of the best from Treger, Julie and her Sioux chef Chad, and they have whipped up some great things. The traggers fired up, and so are we. Duck con feet, beef tenderloin, duck fat potatoes, sausage and apple stuffed acorn, squash, cauliflower, grotten, maple, balsamic, brussels sprouts, sausage balls, gingerbread, blunt kick and something called glue wine, which is a winter wine that you drink. Who's got it better than we do? No, And we are deciding the most valuable Danet, So thank you to tire Rack, the official tire expert of the show. They are donating four new tires to the most valuable Danet and the most valuable back room guy. Well. Stat of the Day rought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, and you can vote. You can go to Danpatrick dot com and we will have the results at the end of the show. Al Michael's next hour Kurt Warner in about twenty minutes, Reese Davis, host of College Game Day, will join us. Is Reese in South Bend because the game is coming up tonight? Todd, do we know where Reese is?
Speaker 3: I believe he's in South Bend? Ben, now for the game, Tame, you believe he's College Game Day is.
Speaker 4: Doing back to back action Friday and Sally South Bend then Columbus.
Speaker 2: All right, well, why don't we find out where Reys Davis is ESPN College Game Day host live. They will be at Notre Dame from well three thirty until eight on the mother Ship. Then they go to Columbus for a second show. Are they paying you for both of these College Game Days? Reese?
Speaker 5: I'm not extra Dan. I think they took the original hour and a half show and made it four and a half hours. You know how that works at ESPN. Yeah, but I'm actually I'm actually thrilled by it. I can't I can't think of a better place to be to start this playoff than on campus at Notre Dame. I was even advocating before we knew the pairings that we needed to be at Notre Dame Saturday morning, regardless of when the game was. But I think it's even better that they're playing the first one and we're here on Friday afternoon into Friday night.
Speaker 2: Can you open up the curtains, look outside and give me a weather forecast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it might look terrible, but I'm right on campus at the beautiful Morrison. Let's see if we can see a little snow out there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's nice and it's nice and chilly. We're just a few steps away here from from the Golden Dome and will be beneath the Word of Life mural. I like to be official. People sometimes call it touchdown Jesus Dan, but it's the Word of Life mural giving the gospel and good news to teams like Indiana who made the playoff.
Speaker 2: I guess the pressure on Notre Dame when you're facing Indiana. So this is in state and Indiana never gets this opportunity and now you have it. How much pressure you just gave Marcus Freeman a contract extension as well. Vegas loves Notre Dame this year in the playoffs, so how much pressure?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: I think if the game gets close, there might be some game pressure. But right now, both these teams are really similar, and you know, someone asked earlier this week what the rivalry situation was, and I said, there is no rivalry. I said, historically, the only thing that's consequential about Indiana to Notre Dame football is that they're in the same state. I mean this, Indiana's lost more games than anybody in the history of the sport, and Notre Dame has the greatest tradition in terms of being a story tradition of any So it's you know, they're two hundred miles apartments separated by worlds, you know, historically, So if it gets tight late, I would imagine Notre Dame could start could start feeling feeling some of that pressure.
Speaker 2: Somebody's going to lose. There's a home team that it feels like is going to lose this weekend. It just the odds are somebody's going to lose. Who do you think that would be?
Speaker 5: I think, even though I think they're going to win, and I might be overly influenced by spending time there earlier this week, but I think if a home team is going to lose, it would be Ohio State because I think that they are facing the best team in Tennessee and they also are facing a team with a particular strength that is opposed by a particular weakness of Ohio State, meaning the defensive front. We saw what Michigan's defensive front did to Ohio State's revamped offensive line because of injuries. In Tennessee's defensive front is just as good. It's a little bit different, but it's deeper and maybe a little better on the edges. But they have a particular strength that could give Ohio State trouble. So I think that is the most likely one. If if a home team is to lose.
Speaker 2: Why is it open season on Ryan Day?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I mean, I mean, I understand rivalry, I understand the importance of it. Dan, It's kind of ridiculous. I mean, really, this loss to Michigan is the only one that was a bad one. It's not your birthright to beat Michigan every year, and you know this, This was a bad loss. There's no way around it. They they played tight, they played poorly, and they should have won the game. The previous three Michigan had better teams than they did, you know, So it's they're the They're the winningest program in the history of the sport, and this small faction I think generally of Ohio State fans that act as if it's their birthright that they have some type of that they're entitled to beat Michigan every Year's preposterous. A guy sixty six and ten, you know, I think he's I think this is this fourth playoff appearance. It's really preposterous. Guy's good football coach, and you know, you got to be careful what you wish for. You know, if they're trying to push them out, they better be careful what they wish for.
Speaker 2: What tweaks would you suggest for the format next year?
Speaker 5: Man, the first one. They've got to do away with this only conference champions getting the buy. The reward for winning your conference champion is inclusion into the field. Didn't just see the tournament because and that's what it is. They have taken the team that's been best all season, Oregon, and created a more difficult path for Oregon than they did for Penn State, which lost to both Ohio State and to Oregon in the Big Ten championship game. I mean, all of these teams are good and capable, but Oregon's got to play the winner of Ohio State Tennessee. Penn State starts at home against SMU, good team. If they win, they you know, they get Boise State. Would you take that, you know to get to the semifinals? I think you would, So they have to they have to change that immediately.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 5: I think that they did it this way because they want to value conference championships and it was a mechanism to get it done, to get the other conferences to agree, Well, you're not going to go backwards now, so just see the tournament. Whoever, if it's four Big ten teams that get to buy, still be it. So the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Talking to Rees Davis, ESPN College Game Day host and he will be working tonight this afternoon three point thirty until eight on the mother Ship at Notre Dame and then goes Saturday morning nine am until noon with the matchup with the Buckeyes and Tennessee. Yeah, I'm you know, if I'm Oregon, you probably wish you would have lost the game to Penn State, because you would gladly. I think change exchange places with them, you know.
Speaker 5: I like the way I agree with you, and I think in all practicality it's an easier path than dealing with one of the other two. But I do like the way Dan Lanning has approached it. He's like, you know, we're just we're just going to try to win the games that are in front of us. We're good and we think we can beat anybody. So I think he's handled it just the right way. But the unintended consequence of seating the field like this is a problem, and really the whole bottom half of the bracket. Now Georgia is where it deserves to be, but if they're playing a backup quarterback, then you have, you know, you have that part of the bracket with Boys's three ced George and the two seed with the backup quarterback, and you know some of that luck of the draw. I understand injuries part of it and are going to happen, but the bracket is imbalanced top and bottom, more power teams including Texas at the top than at the bottom.
Speaker 2: If there was an MVP vote for College Game Day, who.
Speaker 5: Is how about how about uh, how about how about co MVP or how about you think you really want to get me with this? I thought I was save Saban, Max, Me and Herb Street all co MVPs, Desmond also co MVP. I'm just out there trying to you know, help them get.
Speaker 2: A first look at you, look at you, and and you know better than that. I was trying. I was trying. And it looks like you're channeling Jim Harbaugh with your look.
Speaker 5: I've been I've been mistaken for him at times. I'm a big harball guy. We have a we have one of our one of our runners on college game that has been with us for a couple of years, a woman called Ruby Dreyer, who is married to a former Ole Miss player who played for Jim with the Chargers. And when she came back this year, I told Ruby, I said, the part of your contract, if you've read the fine print, is that you owe me one Harball story every week. So so she would, she would bring in these odd Harball stories. But now hej your husband is playing for the Seahawks. So I'm I'm we've we've run to the end of the Harball stories. But yeah, I'm i'm. I'm a big fan of Jim. See he cracks me up. I think he said it best. If you like football, you probably like Jim, so.
Speaker 6: And I do.
Speaker 2: Georgia seems vulnerable, you know, and as you mention now with Carson back done for the rest of the season here, you know, losing Lad McConkie and Brock Bowers. I mean that's had a really big impact on Carson Beck in that offense here. So what is this team or who is this team? Now?
Speaker 5: They're still really good on defense and they're going that defense should keep you in every game. Now, are they as good as they were a couple of years ago? They are not their team that struggles to run the ball a little bit at times, and you know, I've had some issues on the offensive line. They've certainly had issues of you as you've alluded to, with playmakers on the outside. But they still are probably one of the two or three most talented rosters in this field. So I think, you know, Gunner Stockton plays effectively if they can they can run it well enough and he you know, he's able to make make enough throws that Georgia still has a chance to win it all because they they've got as many good players as anybody, as many elite players in most positions as anyone in this field.
Speaker 2: Give me, if there is a juxtaposition the environment at South Bend tonight and what you think you'll get in Columbus tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Pure electriicity here. I mean I walked in. I'm staying at this place on campus called the Moors, and I walked in yesterday and there was a guy playing bagpipes in here. I grabbed dinner with Richard Digger Phelps last night. You could just feel the buzz around town. They're so exciting. They moved finals dan to this week it typically finished a week earlier, and anticipation and hoping that they might have a home game and they do, so everybody is like all in the same direction, pulling Columbus based on being there Sunday, I think there will be excitement that that is just waiting for something to go wrong, and then there will be as no the first time they don't convert a third down, the first time Tennessee completes a fifteen yard pass or something, or Dylan Sampson, you know, gets loose for a twenty yard run, there'll be anxiety in that building. And I think how how Day and the players respond to that internally will be really really important. Saturday night, it's more of an angsty, like there's still the pall hanging over and they're just wondering if something's going to happen. And if the shoe is going to drop. And here it's all seashells and balloons for right now in Notre Dame. They're excited.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. Have fun tonight. We'll be watching all right, buddy, thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: It's always that's.
Speaker 2: Reyes Davis College game day. They'll be live the two first round playoff sites. It'll be Notre Dame that they started three point thirty this afternoon. They go till eight and then it's game time, and then they go to Columbus. It'll be nine am Saturday, and then they go to noon ahead of the Buckeyes matchup with Tennessee update the poll results if you can see.
Speaker 7: Yep, we got up there right now. If you could only watch one this week in college football at Pro Football. College football has seventy one percent of that vote. We also put up college football playoff bye weeks yay or nay right now. The nays have sixty percent of that vote. Yeah, and about sixty percent. Would rather be a great guitar player than singer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would. I wish I would have picked that up. You can either sing or you can It feels like you can teach yourself to play guitar at a decent level. I don't know if you can teach yourself how to sing at a high level like Fritzy. We have the sing off coming up. It's Marvin v. Fritzy and Song Choice. You get twenty seconds of your favorite song and this is to be crowned the best singer on the Dan Patrick Show. Todd, do you have your song?
Speaker 3: I have five songs and I've narrowed it down to the one that I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 2: What is the song You're gonna go with?
Speaker 3: I am going to go with? Let me take it out here.
Speaker 2: Did you need to know?
Speaker 3: Because I have a lot of papers that I was narrow a done to two.
Speaker 4: Actually, but I'm gonna go with someone you loved, Lewis Capaldi, someone you love.
Speaker 3: Try to make it a little difficult.
Speaker 7: Why are you making it so difficult?
Speaker 2: That's that's just I think you.
Speaker 3: Get points for that. Paul, he would say, you got a couple of points for make it the more difficult.
Speaker 7: So well, you're making it's following Paul's advice.
Speaker 2: Paul was setting you up for failure.
Speaker 7: In twenty years, that's never worked out well for you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had the Searches Over Chicago, Carried Away, George Straight, She's Got Away, Billy Joel.
Speaker 3: These were some of the things I was considered.
Speaker 2: Marvin, your song choice when you go against Fritzy in about thirty five forty minutes from.
Speaker 8: Now Lately by Stevie Wonder Lately.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's good song once again, this will be to be now. This could impact most valuable Dan eut, I'm not gonna joke. I'm not kidding around here.
Speaker 4: Yes, Todd, if the verse of our songs goes closer to thirty seconds, how height is the twenty because they'll be cutting you off right in the middle of you know, a couple of lines.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna sound If you sound good, let it go.
Speaker 3: Then I'll let you go get the buzz You get the buzzy yes.
Speaker 2: If not, then I'm gonna go.
Speaker 7: Marvin. Are you doing the Stevie Wonder version or the Jodasy version.
Speaker 8: If I do the Jodasy version, I gotta take my shirt off. Whoa anyway, So I'm gonna go with the Stevie onehersion.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'll go blind. If you do the Jodaicy one with your shirt off, just let you know, bloop and Lewis Capaldi is an interesting choice because he's got a unique voice. I don't know, could.
Speaker 3: Get dicey, it could could go sideways as they like to sing.
Speaker 2: And you don't. You're not getting extra credit because you're taking on a tougher song. I want you to sing again. This is to win the content.
Speaker 3: I just happened to like that song and I've sung it a few times in the show.
Speaker 2: Tod There's a lot of songs I like and I can't sing it okay.
Speaker 3: And this one that I picked could very well be one of those.
Speaker 2: Oh righty, oh god? See how do you not learn? See this is when the audience goes you pick on fridge seat. I try to give you guidance. For twenty two years, I've tried to give you guidance.
Speaker 4: Then there's the good content argument, like it was so bad it was good content kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're never in on it so bad that it's good content. You're like, is it really that bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That I drive home eyed?
Speaker 2: Was I really? Was it really that bad?
Speaker 3: Sounds great in the shower.
Speaker 2: Like, let's you know, when you did the Olivia Newton John tribute.
Speaker 3: I nailed that one. Everyone else everybody knows you guys could make a fun of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had Kurt Warner is going to join us. We'll have him analyze the games coming up on Saturday. Should Patrick Mahomes be playing in this game? And why can't Lamar Jackson beat the Steelers? That'll be coming up next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something right, So.
Speaker 9: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 2: As they say.
Speaker 10: I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: You can vote on the Most Valuable Danet go to Danpatrick dot com and thanks to Tire rec for donating four new tires to the winner the Most Valuable Danette Award. He's Kurt Warner. He's got a couple of MVPs, and he's a Hall of Famer. He's joining us courtesy of NFL Networks Game Day Morning this Sunday, and he's calling the Cardinals rams for NFL Network next Saturday, December twenty eighth, at eight eastern. Where are the MVPs.
Speaker 6: I don't know, to tell you the truth. Sometimes they're behind me, sometimes they're in my outside office. I don't know Dan Wait.
Speaker 2: Steve Young said the same thing. He didn't know where his MVPs are.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's about the memories more than it's about the trophies day and so sometimes my wife will put them up, you know, to kind of decorate the office a little bit and cool. But yeah, I'm with Steve. I don't know more about thinking back to those great memories than it is, you know, looking at the trophies.
Speaker 2: Well, Steve said, if I walked in his house, I'd never know what he did for a living. Is that the same in your house?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you wouldn't know unless you came into this office. My rings are back behind me somewhere, obviously, some football helmets, and there's a Super Bowl MVP trophy I guess is up there on the top. So outside of this office, you would have no idea. My wife is not a football fan at all, so I don't have I don't have different pictures or anything displayed anywhere.
Speaker 2: No, does that help if your wife is not into football?
Speaker 6: You know, I think it helps when you're playing, because it's nice to be able to get away from it. Now that I cover the sports, I wish she'd liked football more so. She would sit down with me on Sunday afternoons or whatever and watch football because now you know, I've got to kind of watch it in cover it all the different days of the week that it's on, and you know, she could care less. She doesn't want to be around it. She doesn't want it to be on TV. So it's a little bit harder now that I cover it. But it was nice when I was playing. Whether it was the kids or my wife, none of them were really football junkies. So you came home and you could just be that.
Speaker 2: If you were Kirk Cousins, what would you think about your future?
Speaker 6: Well, I was Kirk Cousins a couple of times in my career. You found myself in that situation. Yeah, I think if I'm Kirk Cousins in Atlanta, you probably think your career in Atlanta is over for sure. And I think when I went through it a couple of times, so you know, leave the Rams, go to the Giants, and you know, then be benched. When I was, you know, with the Giants nine games in, you know, my mindset was I still felt I could play, but I didn't know if anybody else would give me a shot, right, now, now this is two organizations that have kind of, you know, moved on from me, so to speak. And that was my you know, that was the secondary thought in my mind was, Man, is anybody going to give me a shot after you know, this season, because obviously my year with the Giants was completely different brand of football than we played in Saint Louis. So if you just looked at stats, you know, numbers, whatever it was, he'd be like, oh my gosh, this guy's a shell of himself in New York from what he was in Saint Louis. So he's probably not a starter anymore. And I think you could say the same thing about Kirk Cousins. With this last stretch that he's had there, I'm sure there's a lot of people wondering are his best years behind him? Can he ever get back to the form that that he had, you know, prior to this season. So I'm sure, you know, part of that is going through his mind is what what is the future? Is there a future for me as a starter in the National Football League?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what's that like to play at a peak, peak level with the Rams and then you get benched with a Giant, Like, how does how do you go from that hide that low and then go back to that high with Arizona and go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 6: The bottom line, Dan is you've got to be realistic with your situation and you've got to take ownership of the stuff that's yours. And then you also know that there's a lot of stuff going on around you that isn't always on you, although it looks like it's on you, right. I mean, I broke down Kirk's you know, the interceptions when he had that four interception game, and there was a couple of plays where I felt like his receivers, you know, kind of duped him a little bit and he ends up throwing an interception. And so to me as a quarterback, you've got to go back and look at those things and go, you know what, you know that wasn't on me, And those kinds of things help you to hold your confidence even when the stats may not say you're playing really, really good football. You hang on to what you know about yourself. You learn from those moments like, yeah, that was a dumb decision, what you know, what am I thinking in that situation? But you don't just like all of us on the outside are looking at Kirk Cousins and just going, oh my gosh, he's terrible. He can't play anymore. And when you watch a film, I don't I don't think that's the case. I don't think he was ever comfortable in Atlanta. I don't think he's ever been comfortable in this offense. I think there's a lot of continuity issues between the guys around him and himself, and it's led to a lot of this stuff that hasn't played into his strengths. And if I'm Kirk Cousins, I'm thinking, Okay, that's not who I am. This offense didn't fit me. I need to find an offense that fits me because I believe I can still play at a high level. And that's how you hold onto that confidence even when you're going through moments like this or you find yourself being benched.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Kurt Warner, the Hall of Famer. You can catch him on NFL Networks Game Day Morning, rich Ies in your host on Sunday, and he's calling the Cardinals Rams for NFL Network. Now did they tab you for this because these are two of your former teams.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I mean it works out beautifully for a lot of different reasons. Because we're going to be in LA on Sunday morning, so we don't have to travel far after the game. Obviously, you know, we joke around that it's the Kurt Warner Bowl when when these two teams play, because they play a couple of times a year, and obviously it's a it's a big game. You know that NFC West is going to come down to the end. So I'm not sure why, but but I like it. I like all those different factors and I think it's gonna be a really good football game. It's going to mean something.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited about Would you play met Patrick Mahomes this weekend?
Speaker 6: You know, I am a firm believer that if a player is healthy enough to play, then you play them. And I understand all the different things. Oh, you know, if we can save him for this game, and that's just what we do. Dan like if if we get injured, but it's not so bad that it stops us from playing. We want to be out there playing, and that's what you do in every other scenario. Right, We're trying to look at this down the stretch, but in every other scenario you do the same thing. If you're in week four and you know your guy tells you, hey, I can play, I'm good, I can practice all week and I can play. You play that guy, you don't. You know, That's just the nature of of what this business is all about is we want our best out there, and our guys want to compete every chance they get. And you don't hold that competitiveness from them in any situation unless you see the guy and you go, Okay, that's not our guy. That guy can't protect himself, or that guy can't play at the level you know we need him to play. Other than that, If he says he can go and he's out there practicing, he goes, why.
Speaker 2: Did the Steelers have Lamar Jackson's number?
Speaker 6: That's a great question, and I don't really know the answer to him. But I think what we all know is that there are certain teams that just get into our mind that we would struggle against. When I played it was a Tampa Bay Bucks defense is that I just knew how good they were. I knew what they were going to do. It wasn't a surprise. You know, they didn't fool me. They were just really, really good at what they did, and they matched up really well against us. And that's another thing I don't think we consider enough is matchups and how important matchups are dan in the course of things like we just want to look at you, well, this team's better than that team, but matchups become so critical and inside divisions. You know, certain teams are built to stop other teams. And I just feel like the Steelers have a real good gauge on what the Ravens want to do how Lamar Jackson plays football, because they've played against him and they've watched him so much, and they just match up very, very well. And like I said, you know, as a quarterback, there's times you have teams where you're just like, man, I just know I've got to be perfect in this game if I'm going to have success, and going out and trying to play perfect usually leads in the other direction, you know, instead of just going in free and believe in a doesn't matter. You know, we're gonna take this team. I love the matchup we got and we're gonna go out and sling it around. You sometimes can get a little bit tighter, hesitate a little bit more, and against good teams, that's all it takes.
Speaker 2: Explain to me, and you said this before years ago to me that you loved when somebody blitched, that somebody was open, but you got to take that hit sometimes, like you you may like it's the risk and the reward with that, but what's that How do you process that of that guy's coming and I'm probably going to get hit, but it does open up this route for you know, Isaac Bruce.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, All I can say, Dan is that the HiT's never hurt as much when you complete that. And so you know when that's coming and you know there's a guy open and you're going to hit him, and it's going to be some kind of play that adrenaline or whatever it is. Most of the time you don't even feel the hit, like it's just like, ah, I gotcha, and you're thinking of it from that perspective, not oh my gosh, this guy is going to hit me. I'm thinking to myself, well, I just won. You could come and hit me all you want, but I just won because there's an opening there and I'm getting into one of these guys that's going to make a big play against you. And so I just I loved that aspect of things. And you know the other too, Dan was I'm going to try to get the ball out before you can even hit me Like that was to me one of the fun parts of it is how fast can I see it and beat you? So you think you're gonna get a free hit on me, Dan, and then the ball's out and you've got to stop, and you're just thinking that was awful because you know, you know, these guys are licking their jobs. As soon as they see the tackle step down, this defensive end is coming right at you, and then boom, all of a sudden, the ball's out and they've got to stop. There is no better feeling when I played than that aspect, is that when a team thought they had you with the blitz and they had an overload and somebody's coming free and you just flip the ball out and you get a big play and you just know the frustration that they're feeling.
Speaker 2: These rookie quarterbacks rank the performances so far, not who you would take in the future, just what you've seen this year from all of these guys who have played.
Speaker 6: Jayden Daniels is number one for me, been the most consistent from day one to now. There's so many big plays. I love the way he plays in control as boys. Put him at number one. I would put bo Nicks at number two. You know, not as good early, but I think he's played some really really good football. He's been helped by Sean Payton, who does a great job of dialing up some easy things and giving him some opportunities. But I think he's played really really well and what we saw in college has really translated to the NFL. I would go Drake May three. And he's probably the biggest surprise for me of all of these guys. A lot of ups and downs of last year in college and a lot of footwork stuff, and I didn't think he saw it really quickly in college. I have been overly impressed since he got in there, especially with the situation and they don't have a lot of pieces. He's not surrounded by, you know what some of these other guys have, and he has seen the field extremely well. He's played fast, he's made a lot of plays and made them competitive. So I would put him at three, and then I would put Caleb at four. Even though we've seen glimpses, you know, there's just there's a long way to go. In terms of speeding up the processing, getting the ball out, being more consistent playing the game. And so yeah, that's how I would rank him at this point.
Speaker 2: Is Caleb the problem or the Bears the problem? If you were going to pick one or the other.
Speaker 6: Man, If I was going to pick one or the other, I would probably pick the scheme as being the problem for the young quarterback. I think Caleb's got some issues he's got to get better at and he's got to see it and process faster. But then I've talked a lot about you know, some of these teams run these pure progression type systems, and what that does is it forces a quarterback to have to look and read a play the exact same way, no matter what the defense is. And I think that hurts quarterbacks because just because they're looking at a receiver, they don't get to see the entirety of the field. And so as he tries to work back across some of that stuff, he's completely lost to what's going on on the backside, because he wasn't really worried about it to begin with, Like, Oh, I'm not worried about what's going on over there. I'm going to read over here first, and I just see that hurting him over and over and over again, and I believe that can be a problem across the league. You know, some teams do it better than others, but I believe that scheme has really caused Caleb Williams to play slower and play more deliberate. Where I think he's been at his best is when he's been free and he's looking doesn't have it. He reacts and he plays just like he did in college, and I think that system has really hindered him from doing that. So young quarterback room to grow, but I wish they were given him some different opportunities in terms of the scheme that they ran or they run, because I think.
Speaker 2: That's hurting my best. Do the family. Happy holidays and thanks for joining us as always.
Speaker 6: You got it. Happy holidays to year as well.
Speaker 2: It's Kurt Warner. He'll be on the call for Cardinals rams NFL Network. That's next Saturday, December twenty eighth, but you can see him on NFL Game Day morning this Sunday. Well, take a break, some phone calls coming up. We do the Best Week in Sports? Who had the best week in Sports? Al Michaels will join us. But coming up next, it's Marvin versus Fritzi. Who is the best singer on The Dan Patrick Show. We'll find out next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: It's the moment you haven't been waiting for, but we're still going to do it. It's Marvin versus Fritzie. They got to pick their favorite song. Who is the best singer on The Dan Patrick Show? And I'm going to take myself out of the equation here, but it's a new segment called America Doesn't have Talent And it'll be Fritzie picking his song, Marvin picking his song, and Marvin, I'm gonna let you start, all right, your song choice.
Speaker 8: Is Lately by Stevie Wonder. All right, I'm sorry everybody in advance.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's okay. Here we go.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm a man of many wishes. I hope my premonition, missus, but what I really feel my eyes won't let me hide because.
Speaker 3: They all waits. Start to crowd.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's know, Larvin put a little pressure on you. I see the gamesmanship. Marvin won the toss. He elected to sing, and now it's Todd Fritz. He's shared the stage with Darius Ruckert's and your song choice is.
Speaker 3: Someone you loved by Lewis Capaldi.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, I'm going none around this time out there, there's no one to save me this sult and nothing really got aware.
Speaker 3: You driving me crazy. I need somebody to here.
Speaker 13: Somebody to know, somebody to have, somebody to hold.
Speaker 3: It's easy to say, but it's never the same.
Speaker 13: I guess I kind of laugh the way you nu'mbed all the pain. Now the dayle's intil nightfall, and you're not here to get me three lines, No, it's just three lines.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: We have.
Speaker 3: Really comes to finish the strong with the leste.
Speaker 2: Once again, you never listened to me.
Speaker 13: Go ahead, I let my god down and your powther road. I was getting kind of used to being some on your load.
Speaker 2: I'm going all right, Paul, stop you lose points to.
Speaker 1: Paul.
Speaker 14: Marvin did a really nice job, Stevie wonder. There's very much potential with Marvin and being a real singer. Ritzie took some chances, and about five seconds in I said to myself this sounds really nice and it's a really tough seconds. I actually think it got better. Okay, I enjoyed both of them. Todd took a little more chances.
Speaker 2: All right, Seatan, what about you?
Speaker 7: Oh man, it's tough. I'll tell you one thing. I know we need to do it, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 2: Oh can you guys do a due end?
Speaker 3: Never gonna give you.
Speaker 11: I just want to do that.
Speaker 1: Can we do it?
Speaker 6: Do it?
Speaker 3: I'll do the female voice. Let's pick one where as a you know, like tonight, I celebrate my love for you guys.
Speaker 7: Do what's it? Leather and lace?
Speaker 2: Please? You do Stevie Nicks? You could be Stevie Nicks and Don Henley?
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, Marvin could be Don Henley.
Speaker 2: Huh marks forever? Seatan, who's your pick?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: You know what I'm gonna Todd I thought started off really really shaky, but finished super strong. I think if Marvin had gone second, Marvin might have been the best singer, but he went first. I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with the Toddler.
Speaker 2: Yep, I am. I'm gonna take Todd. Yeah, started a little shaky, but then you finished up strong. I think Marvin's was there. I just think Marvin needed some more reps with that.
Speaker 14: Yes, that said, Marvin's was really nice, and that is a tough singer to take on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have taken on that song.
Speaker 6: That was that.
Speaker 2: That was a tough song. But Fritzie took on a tough song too, he did. Yes, he did.
Speaker 3: His renditioned to Perry Como whoever.
Speaker 8: That was.
Speaker 3: Little Hands coming.
Speaker 2: Out carry five gold Christmas. Every song that Fritzie singing sounds the same.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that should take points off Goda.
Speaker 2: Admit, all right, Marvin is the winner. Yeah, your kisses on the listeners.
Speaker 13: Your luck mixed their sports radio contents.
Speaker 2: See this is where you're singing the female part. It didn't go well, you know what I mean. Okay, how about the most must win game of the weekend. We have that and who had the best week in sports. We'll do that and we'll slide into the weekend as well. Let me run down. Slide into the weekend brought to you by King Swine. Tennessee at Ohio State, Clemson at Texas Steelers at the Ravens oh Man. This is I mean, you got to win this game. If you're the Ravens. You have to win this game. Eagles at the command Man, there's some good games. Texans at the Chiefs, and Mahomes is a go for that game. So you got Saturday and Sunday. You got college football tonight. College football on Saturday might be too much football. That's a sliding into the weekend. Brought to you by the great folks at King Sawaian all your recipe inspiration Kingsawaiian dot com. Who had the best week in sports? Ton I'll start with you best week in sports?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say recently biased that was a huge win for the Chargers and that puts them very much in the playoff picture, which could have been very dicey if they fail to eight and seven.
Speaker 2: Listening all right, Seaton Best week in sports?
Speaker 7: Saint Michael Pennox Junior.
Speaker 2: Okay, these are yours, lads. Let her rip.
Speaker 8: Uh Marvin Carl Anthony Towns last night returned to Minnesota, had thirty two points twenty rebounds.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, thirty two and twenty as the Knicks beat the Timberwolves. I was watching Golden State last night, orar least I thought I was. I think they were losing by fifty. When I tuned in, Steph Curry didn't hit a basket. I was like, what just happened here?
Speaker 5: Paul?
Speaker 2: Who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 14: I'm also going with Jim Harbaugh. He's three weeks away from being in a playoff, his first year in the NFL, first next stint in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the who had the best week in sports? I'm going to say the offensive lineman for the San Francisco Giant forty nine ers. They didn't earn those trucks that Rock Perty gave them, but ten of his offensive linemen. So you had the starters and then the backups and they all got trucks for a team not going to the playoffs. Rock Purty has a Toyota deal dealership or deal before you know, he makes fifty five million dollars, but he makes a million, so he probably spent seven hundred thousand dollars on trucks for his offensive lineman. Update the poll results. If you can, Seaton, let me see here.
Speaker 7: Would you if you could only watch one yeah, this weekend, it would be college football or pro football? College football crushing, absolutely crushing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it means something. Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 14: Yes, Paulie, I got a text from our good friend rich Eisen. Yeah, he said he loved the song contest and would love to hear a duet. Don't go break in my heart with these two gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Can you guys pull that cobble that together at the top of the hour, could you guys get together? Maybe you guys could go in the back and rehearse a little bit. You guys do a duet? Oh yeah, yeah, okay, And we aimed to please. Even if rich Eisen's the only one who cares about it, we will give that for a rich, merry Christmas, ritch happy Hanukah.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 7: Social media, by the way, overwhelmingly right now, we're going to put this up as a poll question, but siding with Marvin as a pole singer overwhelmingly.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay. Are we talking better singer or better performance? It's taught a better performer. Marvin could be a better singer. Is that possible?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I perform with my hands down my pants on.
Speaker 3: My pocket.
Speaker 2: No, your hands are in your pocket, not down your pants.
Speaker 3: Depends, pockets are attached to the pants. Yes, Marvin, nothing talking about what is Fritzy doing?
Speaker 2: I have no idea he's got his hands down his pants.
Speaker 3: Got mocked for that performance of my hands in my pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what kind.
Speaker 3: Of performer does that?
Speaker 2: Final hour? Al Michaels, and we'll crown the most valuable den