Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex bar Blazar and Lazarren.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody nailed it. He joined us always by our.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr better like on what relative to what?
Speaker 2: To them? If you said, who's a better baseball player?
Speaker 1: Show?
Speaker 2: Baby, I'm telling the show who's a better baseball player?
Speaker 1: Babe? Ruth Bob at Dolbeck.
Speaker 2: Hey, Patriots fan cat begins at the top of the show. We got those out of the way, We're gonna get right into it. We did get into a conversation that Alice is dying to talk about.
Speaker 1: Should not believe the take? He says he'll give it next week, So I'm not.
Speaker 2: I gotta scandalous, bar, I gotta watch a little bit more. Okay, all right, So full disclosure. I didn't want to do this at the top. I was gonna tease this at the end, but might as well because now everybody's just gonna be like, well, I'm not gonna listen to this show. I'm just gonna wait till next week. So my bye week project is that I am going to watch as many of the top guys at the top of the draft as I possibly can, because I know people on our show, they listen to our show for our draft takes. You're obviously always ahead of me at this point of the season, and they want to hear what I have to say about the top of the draft. So today it's a monumental day. It's it's really this is right in the heart of Catch twenty two. So I got to bring this up. It's a monumental day. When I go on my computer and I make the folder on my desktop twenty twenty five NFL Show and get it right, it's like it's literally, you know, you should really you know, I kind of feel like in Cristification when he goes and he plugs the lights in, they do the drum roll, Like that's exactly what it feels like for me when the draft not only the older on the desktop, but then he got the spreadsheet and everything starts rolling. So today and we can get to the take maybe at the end of the show if we have time. I downloaded the very first game of LSU.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, don't say who it is, save that.
Speaker 2: To LSU's offense to watch one Will Campbell and start this thing off a little bit here. We gotta get it rolling, and it's a little disappointing I think all of us just to segue this right into the not Will Campbell is just clear, no, no, but to get to segue this into what's currently happening with the Patriots. It is definitely.
Speaker 1: Sad that now, for what the last at least two years, I would say, I mean twenty two they had his football season, so I wouldn't say twenty two counts, but for the last two years.
Speaker 2: Last year I watched the very first Drake May tape was the Pittsburgh game that Thursday night, Pittsburgh game. I watched the very first Drake May tape on Thursday before the game. So that's what I believe.
Speaker 1: Was Week fourteen, I want to say, yeah, it's like right for Christmas.
Speaker 2: So we're right, we're right in the same area Week thirteen, Week.
Speaker 1: Four you know, it was the week of Army Navy because's why they're playing on Thursday night. So first week in December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're right in the same area that I started watching draft.
Speaker 1: Did you watch Drake before you watch Jane Daniels?
Speaker 2: Uh No, I watched him in order. I watched Caleb Jayden Drake. I thank and so.
Speaker 1: You'd already started that, Yeah, yeah, and uh, you know it's not it's not what I want to be doing. I love the draft. Well, we both love the drafts. I shouldn't say it like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'd much rather be focused on the NEP and what's happening with the Patriots right now. I absolutely would, and unfortunately we're just not in that place right now as a team. But before we get into all of that, I do want to say a couple of things here off the top about today's show. So we're all on for an hour. Because of Thanksgiving on Thursday, the whole week has kind of been flipped upside down this week here, so they're trying to cram a lot of things in so that everybody can take the day off on Thursday, as we should. So we're here for an hour. We're gonna try to take maybe some calls at the end, but I'm gonna tell you right now, we might not get the calls. So I just want to warn everybody off the bat right there. I'll be quick, and we have a few ad reads that I want to get to, just to get these out of the way, So attention Pats Nation. The most nail biting action film.
Speaker 1: Of the season.
Speaker 2: Carry On, starring Tarn Egerton, Sophie Carson, and Jason Bateman. I know Jason Bateman, good actor. Touches down on Netflix on December thirteenth, just in time for the holidays. Only liquid's allowed, Blood, sweat, and tears. Catch carry on December thirteenth on Netflix. For fans heading to the game on Sunday, December first, you can score an exclusive stadium compliant game day carry on bag experience still larger than life photo installation, and our favorite ad read as well. Massachusetts is made for everyone, for leaf peepers, corn maze strollers, regatta lovers, pumpkin pickers, and anyone else you can think of. Come to where there's something for everyone in this fall Massachusetts, where everything is made possible. Plan your trip at VISITMM dot com. Okay, so here's where I want to start the show, just talking about this game against the Dolphins. Has lost to Miami down in Miami, and I can't say that defensively, Alex, I'm all that surprised that they couldn't stop the Dolphins offense. Said it all last week, we talked about it on this show. Just didn't really seem like on paper they sized up very well against Miami. A lot of you know, issues in the middle of the field, particularly, I felt like linebackers, safety's speed for the Dolphins scheme. I mean, those things all kind of came to Roost. I think the biggest thing though, that came to Roost is this offensive line, and we've talked about it. I've gassed up a little bit how they've been able to hold this thing together with duct tape for a while here with Drake May and at least mitigate by coaching around it. Obviously, with Drake having him back there changes a lot ball comes out quicker, more athletic quarterback. But with all that being said, the Chickens came home to roost on Sunday with the penalties, the execution forty two percent pressure rate on May in this game. And I want to get into some of the nitty gritty details about how the Dolphins did it, but just in general, this felt like one of those games where we knew that this was a team that was far away and all the issues that we know exist all kind of came to play in one game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of the Dolphins strengths match up with the Patriots weaknesses. I mean you look right there on the line and Chop Robinson, who's was one of their top draft picks and has been a good player for them this year, going up against the Patriots weakness it a tackle. The Dolphins have these great wide receivers. We talked last week about the depth at the secondary being a question and that got exposed again on Sunday. So, uh, tough matchup. You know, it hurts because so much of would beat them last week against the Rams came back to haunt them. You thought you might see a wrinkler or two to adjust. It's it's a you know again, a system they just in. Drod Mayo talked about this after the game. Similar system to the one that just beat them. It's also a team they're familiar with, Like this is the same Dolphins team that you know. It's a new coaching staff, but these guys on the defensive side of the ball have been preparing for for pretty much or however long they've been here. Right, McDaniel's been there since what twenty two, I think it was his first year twenty one, twenty two, I want to say twenty one. Yeah, so it's been a few years now, where like you kind of have an idea of what this offense is for Miami. So just from just about any angle you want to look at it not what you're looking for. I'd say, you know, Christian bar I almost feel bad because, like Christian Barmore sacked, that's an incredible achievement for a guy that was told that he might never play again to come back just within months and get a sack. I wish it game in a better game. You're right, so it could get to McDaniel, it could get a little more applause. But you know, outside of that, just really not what you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think all of us would like to just see this team on an upward trajectory, not necessarily even wins and losses, almost just eye tests and just feel for how this team looks. And it felt like for the last month or so, you know, going back to that win against the Jets, but you have the Jets, you have an overtime loss to the Titans, you have a nice win there in Chicago, and then a competitive loss I would call it against the Rams. It felt like they were at least playing competitive, competent football in those weeks. For the most part, we certainly broke down some coaching miscues in Tennessee, mainly, I would say with the wind and you know, all that kind of stuff like that wasn't a great performance down in Nashville, but at least they got it the overtime and it was competitive and Drake May had his moments. All we're looking for is that upward trajectory and that feeling that they're making progress and they're getting better. And this certainly felt like a Category five hurricane down in Miami where all of that just went out the door with all the different issues. But I think the football minutia that I wanted to talk about one of the biggest things that I took away from this game. And I get the penalties on the offensive line, you can't just throw that out. We were just talking about this actually with Campbell and how much we care about the false starts that he's been called for. The penalty is you can't just throw out like that's part of the equation, that's part of details, that's part of being buttoned up and being ready to go. But at the same time, I do want to talk about the actual execution once the ball was properly snapped and they weren't false starting or whatever the case may be. And one of the big things that I've seen on film over the last two weeks and some of this is I would say, from a Rams perspective, this is just sort of how they play off a defense like this. I wouldn't say that what they did against the Patriots was all that surprising, and that to me is why when the Rams blitzed Drake May, we had a lot of really positive clips to show from that game of Drake May beating the Blitz. Obviously, the crosser to Pop Douglas was probably the number one throw against the blitz, but it felt like in that game they were prepared to see the Blitz and they prepared for this exotic, you know, aggressive Rams defense with a really great pass rush. And we praised a VP last week for their plan to get the ball out of Drake's hands and how to beat that pressure and all that kind of stuff. I kind of felt like this week against Miami that it took them by surprise how much they they tried to heat up Drake and tried to blitz him, and I don't necessarily know if that was what they anticipated on the game plan. So this sort of goes back to one of the coaching things that we talk about a lot, adjusting. You know, during the game, you know when you see that this is how they were going to try to play him. They blitzed him fear teen times in this game, and they had a lot of success with it. So if you see that this is what they're doing and this is sort of their plan once that game declares, then you need to adjust to it and adjust quickly. But the problem was and coinciding with the fact that I think they got taken a little bit by surprise by the aggressiveness of the Dolphins defense. You give up twenty four straight points in the second quarter and then it's blouses, right, So even if they go into halftime and make adjustments, it's kind of too late at that point. But just starting there with the blitzes, then I want to break down some of the things I saw in the film with why they struggled against it. To me, it's just another thing with this coaching staff that I have noticed, and that is when they go into games and they have a good plan and they sort of get what they're expecting and what they practice against all week. You see some good things from this team on both sides of the ball, but when they go into a game with a bad game plan, it just kind of it's just going to be a bad game. There's no adjustments and there's no real you know, counter punch er plan B when things don't go right.
Speaker 1: And specifically when it comes to those blitz az Drake May talked about this this morning, was blitzing from blitzing corners, blitzing safeties, blitzing from the second third level. And to your point, there were a couple times in the first half corners came in and I know there was one earlier one where Jalen Ramsey came in unblocked. Nobody counted for him, nobody saw it, and I think Drake May threw it away, maybe he took the sack whatever. Ramsey then comes in on a very similar look unblocked later in the game, which is the play that leads to the interception. Yeah, so that's it. And again Drake talked about it this morning that he's seeing more of that now. Teams are trying to get him to throw hot. Teams are blitzing from unorthodox places in order to try to catch him off guard, and that's something that you know usually you look at, Okay, they're starting to bring corners, let's leave the back end, let's be aware of this, and that wasn't there. And you see that in real time, you see it angibly where it leads to a turnover because Jalen Ramsey on a look that had already beat them once is allowed to replicate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is gonna You're gonna love this because this is exactly one of the besides the clock management, game management stuff. Uh, this to me is exactly one of your your critiques about these types of offenses, these West Coast offenses. So I've gone a lot around the locker room today actually and was asking around to guys on the offensive side of the ball, like, how do you guys handle blitz pressure because everybody does it a little bit differently in terms of systems, right Like some systems do it one way, other systems do it in another. So I've seen a lot of this, and I myself included hand up. I thought the same thing about, for example, the throw over the middle of the field to pop Douglas that that drake through behind Douglas. A lot of people watch that and say, well, shouldn't Douglas settle here right, Like, shouldn't he stop his route and settle down and kind of sit down right there in the middle of the of the field instead of continuing running the slant. There was another play later on in the game where they blitz two guys from the field, including the star, including the nickel slot corner and Hunter. Henry has a crossing route and he just runs the crossing route. So in some offenses they would site adjust right, so like when that blitz comes, the receiver there on that side of the field, if you're lined up like just let's say you're lined up in the slot and the slot corner blitzes, you would just pop right up for the quarterback and make yourself availableright.
Speaker 1: Because you want to give him a chance. You want to replace the blitz right exactly. So some offenses, like the Patriots offenses of yesteryear with Josh McDaniels and Bill O'Brien, would have programmed sight adjustments into those concepts that they run to adjust the route to the pressure. In this offense, they have one route that's predetermined before the ball is even snapped based off the concept that is the quote unquote hot route, right, So it doesn't adjust, is my point.
Speaker 2: So they don't run quite as much conversion side adjustment or like option style plays like that where you might see that in the Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, Charlie Weiss offense to Patriots don't do that anymore in this West Coast system. So to kind of unpack that even further last year in the Super Bowl, because this isn't just about like the Patriots and Drake May and Alex Van Pelt and you're gonna love this. Last year in the Super Bowl, Steve Spagnolo blitz the crap out of rock Party, right like that was sort of the game plan from Kansas City was to just heat up Purty and just blitz blitz splitz. And the reason why Spagnolo did that is because he knew that Kyle Shanahan in this offense, they were just gonna run the play. They weren't going they weren't gonna audible, they weren't gonna be sight adjustments. There weren't gonna be any changes they were just going to run the play. And so what Spagnolo did, which is exactly what Miami did in this game, is they blitz from the second and third level of the defense to make the quarterback hot, and then they were dropping players off the line of scrimmage into those hot zones right where you just are expecting and anticipating that that's where the designated, predetermined hot route is going to be. So as we get into you know this with this Alex Van Pelt offense, it's the same thing in the Super Bowl last year of why the Niners offense struggled against the Chiefs defense was because Purdy is just kind of left without a real answer against pressure. So it's one way of doing it. I think in this offense, the key for most of them is that they want to set the protection pre snap so that you're not hot. But that's obviously not always going to happen. And you know, one guy said to me, you know when you're caught with your pants down because you try to you set the protection, but they bring too many guys and you're just you're hot. You know the blitz is coming. You know, we have one predetermined route that Drake is supposed to throw hot to this player right now, There's always different ways to do things, and this system in this West Coast offense, it's been around since the eighties for a reason, right, Like it's been successful in the NFL. So it's not to sit here and say that it can't be successful. But I do think, you know, in terms of you guys listening and also myself, like we need to change our perception of you know, oh well this guy should be changing this route right because that doesn't necessarily exist.
Speaker 1: So then let me ask you this, how do you use a quarterback or use an offense beat that when when they're covering up that hot route and still blitzing elsewhere? How do you beat it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fair question, and I think it's one that certainly Shanahan and I think other guys in this tree have had trouble with, right of finding those answers. You know, when you see that pressure, like you're not in this offense, you're not supposed to like completely audible and change the play. You're not supposed to side adjust, So like how do you beat those things? This is I would say, probably the biggest flaw in this type of offense in the way that they run things.
Speaker 1: Now, so can I can I answer my own question in partant? Yeah, skill, like you just have to have guys that are right. Your hot receiver's not gonna be open. Do you have another guy that can just is winning quickly one on one on another route? Yeah, And that's obviously you know when you talk about the Patriots, it's something that's a net.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know you look at the one over the middle, just to go back and give examples, like the one over the middle of the Pop Douglas, he has a slant like it's he's running a slant, and so they move the back over right because again, remember if they recognize blitz threats, like they want to make sure at all costs that they are doing everything they can to make sure that the quarterback is not hot. Right, they don't want the defense to be able to make the quarterback hot.
Speaker 1: And what that means is just to unblocked blitzer. And I know that kind of sounds why wouldn't you block the blitzer? Well, if you recognize that there's a six man rush coming and you're supposed to have five guys in the pattern and you only have five blocking. Now somebody's hot or seven if you leave one in seven on six things right.
Speaker 2: So this is why I wanted to bring this up because there's a lot of heat right now on the offensive line. Yeah, and understandably, so you brought up Chop Robinson earlier, who had eleven quarterback pressures in this game. Nine of them we're on Trey Jacobs.
Speaker 1: And that was schemed glittering.
Speaker 2: Right, we're talking about one on one wins when we're talking about that. But I think a lot of these pressures came unblocked, like you were talking about free runners at the quarterback.
Speaker 1: And specifically defensive backs.
Speaker 2: So on the play to Douglas on the slant, which I think is being talked about a lot, Yeah, Drake may actually moves Remandre over from left to right. So he goes from you know, next to Drake and the gun on the left to next to Drake on the gun on the right. Because they see that they're three, that they're three over two on the right hand side of the offensive line. So now they're three on three. But if that extra dB blitzes, now they're four to over three. So now they're hot, right, and it's on the quarterback to get the ball out at that point. Basically, to think about it this way, the extra rusher is the quarterback's responsibility.
Speaker 1: Yes, you ready to put it.
Speaker 2: It's not the it's not the blockers responsibility. So when you see these guys running free through the line of scrimmage, don't play the offensive line all the time for that. Sometimes they just don't have the numbers to block these people. So that's going to happen in any offense. Yeah, So Jordan Poyer comes right and he blitzes, and then Pop Douglass is just running a slant. That's he's not supposed to sit right like, He's just supposed to run the slant, and Drake's under pressure the free runners coming right at him, and unfortunately he just misses the throw. Right, He just missed the throw And he said it after the game. I missed him like he just he wore it.
Speaker 1: That's what happens with pressure, you're less accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people think that that he was falling on the sword for his teammate, but I genuinely don't think he was.
Speaker 1: After talking to the guys, I think he was more last week talking about the interception than he was in this one. There's a bad throw. Yeah, So that was a big problem for them in this game. How they move forward, I think is a really good question for Alex van Pelt, because look, if teams see things on film that are successful, you know, they're gonna just replicate those things. They're just gonna keep doing it until the Patriots proved that they can answer it. And this Colts defense that they play this week, which I do want to talk about the Colts a little bit.
Speaker 2: They are a zone based defense. They good old Gus Bradley just still sticking to the Seattle three ten years later, right like he has not changed his stripes at all. So they don't blitz a ton. So my expectation is based off of just the film and the numbers and stuff that we all dive into. They're not probably not going to look at this game plan and say, we're gonna expect a lot of blitz pressure. Well, if they run a bunch of fire zone on Sunday, you know, blitz zone, then the Patriots have got to be ready for that, and they have to have better answers to what they were given last week against Miami, who did run a lot about what I would call fire zone or blit zone. So that's the offense. Like, to me, that was the game for the offense. Penalties was obviously number one. Number two was finding answers to pressure and to blitz pressure in particular. You know that third down play to Pop Douglas. That was kind of the game in a lot of ways because the defense wasn't stopping Miami and once they gave up that when once they missed that opportunity, and if you see it on the film, like if he hits Pob Douglas in stride there, then that is a house call. Like there's you know, the safeties are widening, it's split safety there. They're going out like this. The middle of the field is wide af open, and if he just hits them in stride like it's that's a huge, huge play. That's that was sort of the game right there. It felt like to me at that moment, I do I.
Speaker 1: Get why you want to bring up schematically issues with the pressures, but I do think it is worth talking about the offensive line too. Yeah, and the issues oh yeah, specifically the tackles. Look, penalties aren't excusable, especially the pre snap penalties. I mean that's you can't have that. You can't what was it four or five fall starts between the two of them, Yeah, just too many. And that's why I know you don't want to do the draft so we don't have to go all the way down this road. But I think I texted you during the game, like, get over Ted McMillan, because this game is a reminder that tackle is their biggest need. I know some people had gotten caught up in what Vederian Lowe had done through the past couple of weeks, and he had been decent, but he was kind of punching above his weight there, and I think that was the continuity of the offensive line helping out. I think some of it was the opponents as well, But you kind of see where that floor is, and that floor is not a starting caliber tackle. So right tackle Jantary Jacobs obviously wasn't great either. I think over there you kind of hope Caden Walls shows you something. We'll see when he gets back. He wasn't at practice today, but if they can get him back and he shows you something, you go into next year with him as kind of your hopeful starting right tackle. But left tackle issue number one because there really isn't anybody else in the pipeline either, and between the penalties, the not just pressure, but I mean blowbys. And I don't know if that's a technical term, it's what I use it basically. I mean it's it's what it sounds like. Does the defensive lineman blow by you a non competitive rep where it's you know, not even al right, he beat me, but it was after a second or two, so I had a chance. And I mean it wasn't just on pass plays. The first run play of the game, and I know it's designed where where we're lows sort of pulling, but the guy sort of hits him on the side and he doesn't do much to react. And we see them run that drill at practice where they hit the blocking sled from the side. Yeah, and I've always kind of thought that's an interesting drill. I'm like, how often does this come up first play the game? That's exactly what that looked like. And no resistance and you know Jacobs too obviously either really quick wins or just outright blowbys by John Robinson, and it was it's just a reminder that this is It was good for a few weeks. I think that was more the exception. I think when we saw Sunday, if they were to run it back in another year with either these guys are both these guys like Sunday, I think is more would would you can expect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, just quickly maybe not quite that bad, but yeah, just like quickly on the actual evaluating the actual play on the field from Sunday, I thought Jacobs was much worse when the ball was snapped. Like Lowe's problems were mostly the penalties. He had a couple of pressures allowed in this game, and I digged him for a few run blocks, but like it wasn't they didn't really.
Speaker 1: Run the ball. The run blocking to me with him was worse than the pass blockers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I didn't run the ball a ton traditionally because of the score, So I don't. I didn't really like overanalyze some of the run blocking in this game, but obviously on the other side at right tackle, Like to me, Jacobs his bigger issue.
Speaker 1: Was actually executing blocks in the past game.
Speaker 2: And I think the biggest thing that you see with him is he just plays with a really really short corner because he doesn't get out of his stance really quickly. He just not doesn't really get a lot of initial kick out of his jump set, and that causes him to give up the edge in a hurry. And when you face dynamic rushers like Chop Robinson who have that speed and that explosiveness off the line of scrimmage every week, that's just huge mismatch for Trey Jacobs. Whenever there's a player like that that's a screamer off the edge, I'd much rather him play like a bull rusher, you know, because those guys aren't gonna threaten his corner as much when you play somebody like a Chop Robinson. When you play someone like this week, if if they you know, he rushes over the left tackle most of the time, but if they flip Blay two Latu this week for Indianapolis and they put him over Trade Jacobs, like, that's another one of those, you know, young screamers coming off the edge, that was gonna give him problems. So I don't The reason why I don't get too caught up, I guess, like, and why I got more into the scheme with the offensive line is because I just don't expect these guys to.
Speaker 1: Be back in these spots next year. Well, I think, you know, people had started more so Low because with Jacobs, like Kane Wallace is still here. I think with Low because people get so enticed by traps Hunter, Ted McMillan, Will Johnson, Carter, serviceable and right. They had started talking themselves into that, and it's like, this is a good reminder of well there will be games like this if you stick with him, you can't have that. And you know, I start to worry about here what it's going to look like over the last the last five weeks. I know you roll your eyes at this, Yeah, but is like, we'll get to Drake is he gonna start developing bad habits because he had to change the way he played because of the tackle play and honestly, the play calling it felt like to me because we saw this in September. We hadn't seen it in a while, but we saw it in September. The play calling was impacted by the tackle play, and I think the play calling got overly conservative at times out of a out of a reason, out of necessity to protect Drake by because the line wasn't doing it. So that was just you know, I came in last week after the Rams game, saying, if you're somebody wants Patriots to take Will Johnson or take Travis Hunter as a corner, like, this is your week to be loud, this is your week to speak up. That's what that looked like on the field. I hope you took advantage last week because this week was back to reality in terms of what their biggest need is actually his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess, you know, just to piggyback off that, I just don't necessarily feel like harping on or kind of killing the current tackles is like worth it, because yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not like saying that's what you're doing. I just like, these guys are just not gonna be there next year. I think I feel pretty comfortable saying that they're not going to go into the season week one expecting Vederian Low to be their starting enough tackle. You they've had some terrible luck. And I'm not saying that to excuse the personnel department, but obviously, like we got to this point with Vederian Low being the starting left tackle, so anything could happen, like injuries, you know, chooks, the core for quitting, like whatever the case may be, Like we got here, you know, this year. So I'm not gonna say it's totally impossible to get there next year. But I would assume that you're drafting a left tackle, maybe Caden Wallace is you give him some leash at right tack.
Speaker 1: A top one hundred pick on him. You got it. You gotta see it. And that's why hopefully he gets back. Drawd Mayo said today, will be back soon. Hopefully he gets back sooner, rasing later, so you can get I mean they got five games left, right, four games, five games, say that's a decent enough sample size we're going in the next year. You should at the very least, I think you'll know if he's totally not it in five games. You may not know for sure that he's a long term answer, but I think you can say enough see enough in five games to say, all right, it's worth going into the season and seeing what we have in him, and then maybe you get you know. Matt Dolff brought this up to me. I thought it was a good way to put it, Like the Austin Hooper of tackles in free agency, who can just kind of be there. You're gonna he's a young guy, you're gonna have a young guy on the left side to just kind of be available to fill in where he's needing.
Speaker 2: That's sort of where I was gonna go with the next It's a good way to put it. I think we're back into sign one draft Soto Baby. I appreciate everybody who tweeted that at me. Yeah that was two years ago, right, No, I think that was last year. I think it was two years two years ago with that, like mcglinchy McGarry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was that that class. And then who was it from Georgia? Uh, who's the guy the Steelers talk Proderick Jones. Yeah, Broderick Jones and Dewan Jones and so honestly, it was cool seeing so many people. I had reminder as would have been two years ago, you guys still remember. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I definitely think we're back in that territory. And to Matt's point, it's not necessarily to go out there and get a franchise.
Speaker 1: That was more about getting two starters. So it's a little ye.
Speaker 2: So, you know, can we get a starting tackle and free agency and then get the guy you know probably at left tackle in the in the draft uh to uh to rind up this line, and then I would also expect, you know, just based off of what the coaching staff has said about him, you know, Cole Strange I think is gonna be a factor in the interior next year. David Andrews will be back, yeah uh, and then Mike on Wenny will obviously still be here. So like when you really think about it, on when it was probably the only guy on this offensive line that should be starting for this team next year in Week one, And that's my expectation.
Speaker 1: On this like currently right the play right, Well, I think we're gonna see cool Strange soon, especially because Michael Jordan had a rough game and we talked about this last week, Michael Jordan, Ben Brown, Who's gonna lose their job?
Speaker 2: Ben Brown?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think you're gonna put the tape from Ben Brown in the Hall of Fame. But he was fine, Michael Jordan was not. So you look at that and it's just.
Speaker 2: So much easier. And I'm not trying to take away from the great centers like David Andrews and Jason Kelcey and those guys, but like it's so much easier to scheme around a center.
Speaker 1: It is, but but looking at that game, who's getting pulled for cole Strange factoring into the no that's that's sort of my point, Like if you're gonna have a guy that is kind of a weak link, so to speak, and I'm not ready to pronounce that cole Strange is not one of those guys, but just saying like, if you're gonna have a guy that is a weak link, then I'd much rather be at center.
Speaker 2: Like at center, you can help, you can ship. Like not a lot of teams line up guys like over the center, Like it's usually shaded into one of the gaps in the A gap, So like at that point you have the guard that can like give him a bump or like something right side the protection that direction, so the center sliding out to the A gap or whatever. Like there's so many ways to make life easier on a center versus guards that can you know, and tackles that can really get more isolated and more targeted by teams. And with Michael Jordan, you just see like he can't pick up postline movement, like every time they run his stunt over his side of the line of scrimmage on the left hand side. He's just not picking it up, like his eyes are not picking it up, and he's not you know, passing it off with Vederian low like he should be. And even the strip sack, I felt like Michael Jordan I wasn't really sure what he was doing on that play either. You know, he goes with what the blitzer, so does Remondre Stevenson, and they leave Vederian Lowe with a guy that shaded inside his inside shoulder trying to leverage that blot Like, good luck with that right you know, you're not gonna be able to get that that blocked that way. So I was surprised. I'm surprised about that a little bit with Jordan, just because he has played in the league. Here's a fifth year guy, like he's played some NFL.
Speaker 1: P we talked about in kenn He's like one of the most experienced linemen ins.
Speaker 2: And yet when it comes to like line movement or or post snap movement by defensive lines, uh, he just can't pick it up for whatever reason, he just doesn't see it coming. So uh yeah, you know, like the offensive line we've known as a problem. I I still think that a big part of this game plan though, And this, this issue with this offense on Sunday had to do with their adjustments and their answers to pressure, which were kind of non existent for most of this game. And uh, this is this is a feather in your cap for these types of offenses, my friend, like, this is not I trying to tell you. This is what they do against against the West Coast Tree.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to tell you.
Speaker 2: I think the one guy that's like solved it, and I would you know, maybe this is an off season thing, but like Andy Reid's kind of solved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's had twenty something.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe you had quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he said Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe that helps. I don't know, but he's one guy that that seems to figured out. Let's flip over to the defense. Do you have ups and downs? He told me you didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Well. I usually do them on Tuesday and I just have I mean I can do them off top my Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's unprepared per usual marine Like God, at one time, can you prepare one time?
Speaker 1: I'm literally usually what time is it's like four o'clock. I'm literally usually doing them right now on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll get to that in a second. But defensively, look right now, defensive is scary, and it's scaring me because they still have some major, major holes to fill on the offensive side of the football, holes that are gonna take high end resources to fill. Like you just don't pluck left tackles and wide receiver ones out of thin air, like you have to go and invest in those types.
Speaker 1: Of players, maybe both.
Speaker 2: So now all of a sudden that we're starting to see some significant holes on the defensive side of the football, you start to think to yourself, well, where are they going to get all these guys right? So I do think the one benefit that they have looking at this defense. I came away from this game kind of down on Marcus Jones because he obviously gave up a lot of yards in this game to Jalen and Waddle. But when I watched the game back on film, I actually thought the middle of the field was a much bigger problem. Like Marcus Jones has his limitations. He's always going to be five foot eight, right, it's always going to be he's.
Speaker 1: A slot corner, like that was my I thought he was in the right spot more often than the numbers would indicate. Yeah, like there there were two three plays where he's right there and Jalen Wall just climbs the ladder and goes against the football. Yeah right, I say this all the time. At a certain point five eighths, five eight, you can't coach II, right. I think he's a slot corner. I think he's a good slot corner. But I think he's a slot corner. And for two years now, they've been two non consecutive years. I guess they've been trying to play him on the boundary to hetch their death at a necessity, but not even And maybe this game is a bad example because the Dolphins have so much speed. But I talked about this last week. Alex Austin has the size to play on the boundary. Isaiah Bolden maybe doesn't have the and and Austin made plays down the stretch last year. Yeah, Like, we know he's a capable NFL corner. He's not an All Pro, but he's capable NFL corner. Isaiah Bolden we haven't seen, so there's the experience thing. But this is a guy that has athleticism, has size. At what point, like how many times do you have to see Marcus Jones get lost? And it's not against Marcus Jones. I think he's been put in a bad spot. Yeah, to be all right, we're gonna give Bolden a shot, or we're gonna give Austin a shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the way I looked at it with Marcus Jones too is, you know, as the game were on, and I know some of it came in the second half when most people would probably say it was garbage time, but he gave up some plays and then he made some plays on the ball too. He competes, Yeah, so he competes. I had no problem really in this game on the whole with what Marcus Jones did, and I had no problems with what Christian Gonzales did either. I thought he's a stud, yeah, but I thought he you know, those two guys at corner, we were competitive throughout the game. The big issue that they had in this game was, you know, I don't know what's going on with Kyle Duggar. You know that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you hope it's just the ankle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with him mentally. His eyes were in the wrong place this entire game. His head was spinning. He had no idea where which way was up right, like it was a bizarre Kyle.
Speaker 1: So what you hope is you'll hear this guy sometimes talk about this. When you have a lower body injury, something that's gonna impact your ability to move to pop, explode right, get change direction. You start overthinking the anticipation because you can't read and react in the same speed you normally do, so you try to get ahead of things, and then to do that you have to gamble and that can cost you big time. So you hope that's what is Kyle Just his ankle's not one hundred percent, He's he's jumping the gun and the reads aren't right, like, that's what you hope. If if it's just too complex for him, which he's you go back a couple of years, very instinctive player, which is why it's so surprising. But if it's if his ankle really is limiting him that much, maybe he's out there. Because again I had of necessity, they're so banged up, But that was that was my first thought. It just felt like he was maybe pressing a bit much to try to compensate for for maybe not being one hundred percent physically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I had him for I think seventy six yards allowed in coverage, and I felt like he was responsible or at least had a hand in all four touchdowns that the Dolphins scored in this game. So his head was spinning in it. And it wasn't just plays where he was actually the primary target either. It was plays where he was playing zones over the middle or help defense over the middle of the field, and he just wasn't in the right place as the entire game. And then you also go back to the fact continually still that they have issues at line and coverage. And we've talked about this for how many years going back now, you know, probably since we started covering this team, right that their linebackers.
Speaker 1: Aren't good in space and miss Mackills.
Speaker 2: Don't don't cover well. Uh so, you know, Jelani taviz Ony Taki Taki, Christian Ellis, you know, they put these guys on the field and these teams, you know, guys that these teams are smart. They are just stretching those guys out and they're just attacking them in the middle of the numbers, right between the numbers. So you look at this game from Tua. He he did it like that was where he did most of his damage. It wasn't on the corners right like it was a lot of it was on linebackers and safeties. And so now we just add that into the mix of you know, they probably do need a true second boundary or outside corner.
Speaker 1: Oh that was Matt's take. He wasn't tackles the Austin Hooper corners.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's also true now, that.
Speaker 1: To which I said Jason mccordy twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I think you can find in free agency legitimately, you know, like they'll be guys available. I don't know if all of them will hit free agency by you know, DJ Reed, Javarius Ward, Carlton Davis, Like they have the money to go out and pay one of those.
Speaker 1: Carlon Davis a great and he's I was a big fan of Carlton Davis when Brady was in Tampa. You know, I thought he was like gonna break out, really physical guy, not quite the player he was, but opposite Gonzales, I think would give you enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they have him, uh or they have that need, then they have what I would just call in general, and I were talking about this on on PU a little bit. It's like a philosophical need as much as it is a personnel need to me, Like, how do you want, Like what's a Patriot linebacker now? Like, as a Patriot linebacker now still going to be Jilani Tava, Juan Bentley, you know, two fifty two fifty five. Well, the weird thing is that is that what we're still doing.
Speaker 1: Bentley just got good at covering guys at two sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his instincts and like his reads and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Really, you're probably not gonna just find that, like you're gonna that that's something you have to develop. Now. This is I know you said you don't want to go back to the draft, and I keep going back to the draft. I think there's a really good linebacker class, especially with these kind of guys. So maybe they find that guy, but like that's the I think the guy they want is a two hundred fifty pound guy that can cover those guys aren't falling off trees. Yeah, like you gotta even if you feel like Fred Warner, right, Fred Warner, but he's only like two thirty, right, right, He's not set two forty five.
Speaker 2: He's not that big relatively speaking, like obviously he's an NFL linebackers. I'm not saying he's a small guy. But like where Fred Warner is, like, you know, a unique specimen.
Speaker 1: I thought he was much thirty.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he's got that. He's he's just a freak, right, And so you look at that, and I just think this is a big question. You know, not well, I think it's important for us to push things forward as always and uh and look ahead with this team, especially in the state they're in right now. I just wonder from an evaluation standpoint, like when Gerad goes to Elliott Wolfe and says, like this is what I need, Like, you know, are we still going with the Belichick prototypes? Because what I see defensively, and I'm willing to chalk the Dugger game up to one really bad game for now, but just in general, what I'm seeing with with with the defense is that all these tweeers, like all these hybrid type players to buy Dugger Mapu, even who I think could be a useful player if you used correctly, but you still you're still banging the table Fornaer.
Speaker 1: But like all these players that that Belichick brought in that he kind of had that secret sauce of like I know exactly how to use Jolani Tova right, Like I know exactly what he is, I know what his weaknesses are. I know exactly how we're going to cover him up.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if they have that kind of coaching anymore, and they might need guys that are more not Belichick system fits, which is like his own thing, but like just traditional system fits and the type of.
Speaker 1: Sit I on that just well rounded because what they would do Jilani Tavai kyle Vin Noy is a great example of this. Juan Bentley early in his career. Again, he's he rounded his game out the last year, so he just starts a ton of credit for that. But like a lot of the Belichick linebacker things, it felt like was predicated on because they would keep a ton of linebackers on the roster. Nose, I'm gonna ask you to do one thing. You get like, all right, this guy can't cover, but he can shoot a gap, or this guy you know, can't shoot a gap, but he's really good on the edge or whatever, and it's like we're gonna have you do this one thing, and it maybe some of it is just personnel, they're so banged up, but it feels like they now are asking linebackers to have a more comprehensive role, and you need a different kind of player for that. You need a guy. Maybe you can't get a guy that's elite at one thing. You gotta take a little bit less from the one trait and find a guy that's more of a well rounded player. The thing is, those well rounded players are usually a little bit on the smaller side. So if you still want that two hundred and fifty five pounds in a linebacker, that guy's probably gonna be lacking in coverage. So okay, you want to go find the two hundred and thirty pound linebacker to spell him in coverage. You want to go find mac Wilson. You can do that, but then you have to be willing to make those substitutions and have those different packages, which again, it just feels like this year, and maybe it's just because they have no bodies, but this year it feels more like they're at like asking Jolani to vie to cover. He wasn't asked to do that the last few years. People say How why did Jelanie Devi get so much worse in one season. I don't think he got worse. He's just being asked to do things he wasn't asked to do the last two years, and they're not strengths of his and he's doing less of the things that are strengths. But they maybe need him doing it because when Bentley goes down, who else is playing off the ball? They tried McMillan, he wasn't playing well. You know, They've moved on to Christian Ellis and that's work to an extent. He's been better than Tavia was. But maybe it's not necessarily. Maybe the prototype is just the well rounded guy. It's not a specialist.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's a good way of putting it. And it's just something that I've been thinking about with with Mayo, DeMarcus Covington, you know, assuming that that cover who look, I'll say this about the entire coaching staff. Girodmeo needs to go into this offseason with his eyes wide open about his coaching staff. I remember back and I'm sure you probably remember this at the list a little bit when they hired their coaches. One of the first things that he said at his press conference when he introduced the coordinators was that he might not get it right on the first try, right, like there might be some coaches where he didn't get it right on the first try. And I just look at that across the board, like I'm not trying to single anybody out. I look at it across the board on the staff like it just might not be the answer, right, And you have to move on quickly in this league, because really, I would say after the year that they've had this year, assuming that they don't go and rattle off five straight wins, which I think we can all safely assume they have one more year before it really starts to get testy with your odd mao, right, like he's got one more season. Next year, they're gonna draft high, they're gonna spend a bunch of money on players, and then they have to start having some results here and they have to start winning some games. So if you're girod Mayo, you don't have all this leash to carry DeMarcus Covington because he's a guy you liked with Bill and he's your guy and you kind of game up together and this that and the other thing. If he's not getting the job done, then you got to move on because your job's on the line too. And I look at them philosophically defensively, and I do think they need to answer that difficult question going into next offseason and have this conversation between Gerard and Elliott Wolfe specifically of you know, how do we want to build this defense? And you might have to be a little bit more systemic, like it might not be an amoeba game plan defense where everything changes constantly week to week, and these guys are hybrids and this guy's adjuster as they like to used to call Jelani Tavai, you know, like you have to be You might have to have, you know, like some of these other coaches and these other trees, you know, the Fangio Tree, the Seattle three guys, like that's just the system and they just run it. They'll have their little game plan wrinkles here and there, but they have their types of players, they have their system and they stick to that and they just try to get really really good and really really good personnel for what they want to do defensively instead of just being the Belichick defense, Like, well Bill's not here, anymore. So you're not the Belichick defense anymore.
Speaker 1: And that means maybe redefining players. So while you're watching LSU Harold Perkins linebacker.
Speaker 2: Of course, gotta gotta make it watch the draft, gotta make it about the draw it all right. A couple of more things that I just got to get off my chest is I'm sorry for you know, the abbreviated show here today. So we were running out of time. So I'm just gonna stick with this game from Sunday against Miami for the most part, and maybe we'll throw some ups and downs in there. Yeah you have you can hear that. But I have one more thing I want to get off my chest. So the last thing, just because you know, I already took down their entire you know, hot system an answer to pressure, because that that Miami took it down, so I didn't do it first, right. The other thing that really has irked me all season long, and I feel like a broken record talking about this, their play action concepts do not work, and their play action game it does not marry this. The run actions do not marry to the routes. Okay, so I'll give you an example. They ran a play action play from pistol, which I was there. We go. This is what I've been waiting to see. They pulled the guard from pistol and they get the linebackers to bite. They get the linebackers up into the line of scrimmage, and then they run two routes on the outside off of that run. So think about it this way. When you run that guard pole right, you're trying to get the linebackers up vacate the middle. So you're trying to vacate the middle of the field. They don't run a single route into the middle of the field. Nothing Brittain, no crosser, no seam, no post, no slant, no nothing. So Miami runs the exact same concept two in the pistol, pull the guard and they hit John Newsmith on a little shallow crosser going across the middle. And you just see that juxtaposition of like what it looks like when it's designed correctly and what it looks like when the Patriots run it. And the Patriots are running it with an out and a nine stop outside the numbers, Like, I, how does that? You're trying to you're trying to displace linebackers and then you're throwing at corners right, Like that just doesn't make any sense. And Drake May you know, hits the top of his drop and is just like where am I supposed to go with this football?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like the corners, they don't have any run pass conflict, so they're looking at they're just covering their guys, right, there's no poll, there's no conflict in the defense.
Speaker 1: So the past the play action pass game just has not married up all season long, and it feels like they're just leaving yard on the field because of that, and it just.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make much sense. Like how many times did we see I talk about this every week, and he's gonna be in here at some point this afternoon, so I'll bring him up. How many times did we see pull the guard, play action pass, gronk up the seam? Like that was a Patriots staple for a decade, Right, how many times do we see that in this offense? Never? Never, because they don't run those types of concepts. They have two tight ends that are capable receivers, like, they have two tight ends that have been good.
Speaker 1: First time in a while, Like this is one of the best Patriots. This is probably the best Patriots tight end year since Gronk retired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just that piece of it is really has infuriated me to no end. And the last thing just to go on the defense and make this just the whole you know, s Sandwich. I can talk special teams after you, and I'll let you finish with the special teams once again. They're playing Miami, who's probably I would say Miami is probably the fastest.
Speaker 1: Offense in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, guess how many snaps and base defense the Patriots played in this game.
Speaker 1: Probably around I'm gonna guess around forty percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty five snaps in based defense.
Speaker 1: Out of what like sixty plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, against Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, against these receivers, against old friend Johnny Smith, who, for all of his faults with the Patriots is an athletic, you know, explosive tight end. I think we're kind of learning what went wrong between the Patriots and John new Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they they keep rolling based defense out there, and that goes back to me to like this philosophy thing that you know, every time we've asked the Marcus Comington about this, they want to stop the run like it's a phil philistophigs, which they did do to stop the run. It was the one thing they did well in this game two point seven yards per carry foram. Yeah, that they stopped to run, But you can stop to run all day long. If your linebackers can't cover, then they're gonna just get you in base defense and they're just gonna throw the ball into your base da.
Speaker 1: It goes back to what we were just talkingalking about. If this is what you want your identity to be, you need smaller, more athletic linebackers. Yeah, like fit like smaller. When I say smaller, that sounds counter intuitive to stopping the run. I guess the better way to phrase it'd be, if this one you want your identity to be, We're gonna play a lot of bass, so we're stout up front. You can't run on us. Then you need quicker linebackers because teams are gonna try to throw at that look, and you need linebackers that can hold up in coverage. So the linebackers that can hold up in coverage are usually smaller. So you need guys that are overly physical and play above their size. So maybe that's the new Patriots linebacker. Now what I just described is a very very very good play like, yeah, everybody, Oh yeah, this guy's really quick and he plays physically like I just you know, it's a great player. Those guys aren't easy to find, and it's probably as much a developmental thing is just drafting them. But if they want to play bass, like again, you need guys that can hold their own coverage.
Speaker 2: Okay, take us home with special teams.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, this was not a great special teams game. They set up Joey Sli for a forty five yard field goal. He jinks that you had a chank ish from Bryce Beringer after they watched another end of half situation. And I still don't know what happened on that first punt where Malik Washington it's not a fair catch. He's just telling people to get away and schoolers like standing right next to him. It doesn't tackle him. Yeah yeah, yeah, just no massive f ups. But there were enough hiccups that had stood out.
Speaker 2: So basically what we're saying is that this entire game was let's just burn the tame.
Speaker 1: So I've been using the Jets game, the first Jets game, as a barometer for especially when it comes to the coaching staff, as like the worst game of the year, and I think they've passed that because the Jets game. Not to make excuses, but it was a short week and we talked about that. Yeah, it's gonna be tough with the coaching staff on their first ever short week. You had a full week against a team you're used to playing, you know what to expect. You aready played him once this year and to come out looking at unprepared. Rod Meyos talked about a lack of focus, which Tom he goes back to preparation. There's no excuse for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna rattle off my ups and downs because you didn't do them, so we can just.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know what they are written down.
Speaker 2: So, uh my number I did one offense in one defense because I wasn't giving them three for ups. Okay, My number one up in this game on offense was Mike on Winnu. I thought he was the only offensive lineman that that had a good game in this game. Really, But I mean, Ben Brown was fine, but they didn't challenge him much. But I had Mike on Wnu.
Speaker 1: With a hurry.
Speaker 2: He did a call for a hold. That was his one blemish I would say in this game. But he had four standout run blocks. Like early on they actually had some run game success. They just couldn't run the ball because of the score and on when it was moving people and it was doing some really standout work in the run game. I thought last week was better. This week was better again. So now that he's settled back in at right guard, I think we're starting to to go on a little bit of an upward trajectory with big Mic, which is good to see.
Speaker 1: I'll throw Ramondra Stevenson in there is an up Like you said, they didn't run a ton, but he wasn't running this way. He wasn't running this physically coming off that foot injury. In the last two games, I think he's gotten much back, much more in a form. He's looking like the guy he looked like in September.
Speaker 2: You so my number one up for the defense. My only up for the defense, Anthony Jennings. They're One good thing that they did in this game was stop the run on either side of the football. I had him for three stuffs in this game. Set the edge against the team that wants to get to the edge in the run game. Did a really nice job. Can't block him with a tight end in the run game. They tried to do that a couple times. It did not go well for Miami. So even though he's another one of these guys like we were talking about earlier, like he's a role specific player. You don't want him on the field on third down if you have a really good pass rush. But in his role first and second down defense, he's been.
Speaker 1: Very good and among the best in the league at that. Yeah, I'll go Christian Barmore. I kind of talked about it before. Just having the sack, getting back to that point, I think is an incredible accomplishment by him, by the medical staff here, and you know, again I wish it. It actually kind of came to a big ish moment in the game because they get that stop that's at the start of the half, and it's like, all right, you're only down three scores, can you get a quick touchdown? Didn't play out that way, but good for him forgetting the sack. There are a couple of other times where he sort of popped, like starting to win. He talked last week after the game back needing to get back into football shape, which takes a couple of weeks. I thought he looked just like physically athletically, there was a big jump from last week to this week, which is encouraging because you know he's that much closer to getting back. I don't think he's at one hundred percent right now. I would expect him to be a one hundred percent, but I think I don't know if you agree. I think that there was a noticeable jump from last week to this week.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit in terms of his motor and like his activity. I still don't see like the explosiveness and power that we're used to seeing with Christian Barmore, Like we're used to seeing Christian Barmore snap reaction right into guys and just denting them. But it looked last week.
Speaker 1: I guess like after each snap it looked like he'd been on the field for forty and this week it felt like a motor is a good way to put it. Like snap to snap there was he was more competitive.
Speaker 2: Okay, to the downs, that's all you get for ups. Yeah, to the downs. Obviously, Kyle Duger was was number one. We've already gone over that. Number two for me was I really couldn't like I couldn't talk. I could have abandoned this a whole list.
Speaker 1: Sorry to go back. Christian zalz deserves. I mean, he was really good.
Speaker 2: He was really good. He was good.
Speaker 1: He remember last year, Remember last year we had we kind of just took Barmore out of ups and downs because he was just every week. I think Christian Zalez is just like we're putting him in the Yeah, he was really good.
Speaker 2: You know, they obviously threw away from him, and teams are just gonna continue to do that.
Speaker 1: And why would you Why would you.
Speaker 2: Test Christian Gonzales when you could just test a linebacker right exactly safety on this Patriots defense. So Kyle Dugger was number one down. Number two down was the mantre Jacobs Vederien Lowe and Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: You're ready for these two numbers.
Speaker 2: The three of those Patriots offensive lineman allowed five sacks and sixteen quarterback pressures in this game combined sixteen one six between three guys on the offensive line. All three of them struggled bigly in this game with different things, and so I put all three of them together on the downs list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have had the tackles. I guess you want to throw Jordan in there too. But that was as bad tackle play as you're going to see, is that right up there? I mean, we'll all remember that Eagles practice, right, that's kind of what we saw at the Eagles practice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't even include the nine penalties on the offensive line too. I probably the penalties probably could.
Speaker 1: Have and how about it, And it wasn't on the offensive line, an offensive off sides or offensive neutral zone in fraction. Yeah, Like that's when you know, like and that's on coaching again, but that's when you know you're just not ready to play.
Speaker 2: Okay, really quickly because we got we got a rail here. Yeah, number three down for me this one. I don't feel like we're not talking about enough. Kishon Boody ran, that's a good one. Ran thirty four routes in this game and caught one pass for six yards.
Speaker 1: He has fallen off the last couple of weeks. It was nice to see him get going. And I'm not saying he can't get back to it. But this was his big problem going back to when he got here last year. In his first training camp consistency. He would flash for windows and then he would disappear for windows. Now he had about as long six stay and success as we've seen from him, but we're starting to see him fade back the other way and you see the impact on the offense. Drake May has had some of his lowest average depth to target.
Speaker 2: They don't. They don't have an X receiver like they don't.
Speaker 1: We got to go down the field.
Speaker 2: He's literally their starting X receiver and they get no production out of that spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that might be tie. I know we've has not like a broken record with so it might be time to give Chavon Baker more of a look. I don't think that's gonna happen, but it might be time.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's gonna do it for this week's show and next week on Thursday of next week, back to normal time, the full two hours, and I got some homework to do.
Speaker 1: I know you're excited, so these tweet at it. He doesn't think Ursery is worth watching for just the first round discussion. It's a fifth guy. I'm asking you to watch a fifth guy. You watch him against Penn State, and you also get to watch a little ailing there.
Speaker 2: I have. I can't spend my entire bye week watching film. I gotta take a little bit of a break. I could give you a list of ten guys one guy some time off during the bye week, so I am going to watch a handful of guys. I've already started Will Campbell today, who was just terrific. By the way, we don't have time to go unpack it, but this was the take from the beginning of the show with that guy is just excellent. Like if his arms are thirty three inches plus, I'm running the car up, I'm running the Dane card up. That guy was phenomenal, phenomenal player.
Speaker 1: Campbell, Banks, Ersery, McMillan, Hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So next Thursday, since we don't have a game to talk about that they're going to be playing in that week, we will discuss my preliminary list, my wish list for the Patriots in the first round of the NFL Draft. Love it, love it. So we'll see you guys then. Signing off Alex bart Evan Lazarre, Happy Thanksgiving everybody, and we'll see you guys next week. Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 1: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.