Speaker 1: Look out.
Speaker 2: It's only Films to be Buried with Rewind Classic. Hello there, this is Brett Goldstein. We're taking a short break between seasons, so in the meantime enjoy this absolutely banging Rewind Classic until we return on August ninth with a brand new season of unbelievable new guests and episodes. In the meantime, I've curated some of my all time favorite episodes. So sit back or run, or walk or drive or sleep or bang or whatever you do to these no judgments, and I very much hope you enjoy this episode of Films to be Buried with Rewind Classic.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by a writer, a actor, a podcaster, a thinker, a philosopher, a censor, tvo, a hero, a legend, a spirit guide, and a spirit follower. Please welcome to the show. The Brilliant Moon Upper.
Speaker 3: Hello, thank you for having me. That was a lovely intro. I'm going to start crying already.
Speaker 1: Hi Moan, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm already weepy.
Speaker 1: So Moon and I we've only met once before, and we met doing the WGA podcast where I was the guest, she was the host, and I'd describe it as like the best therapy session I've ever had, and it was free, and I thought, oh, I'd like to turn the tables aggressively turn the tables, and I'd like to get Moon on my podcast, and I'd like to hear about your life. So that's why we're here.
Speaker 3: That's great. Yeah, like I said, I was. When you asked me, I thought, Oh, that sounds like fun. And then the more I thought about it, I thought this is really difficult, and I realized I don't even watch movies. I think the same way other people watch them. I've never watched them just to be like, oh I feel like relaxing, I'm gonna watch something, or oh, it's never been entertainment. How do you watch fil I think it's always been me trying to understand my family of origin and saying, does anybody have any information? So, even as a kid, before I knew I could go to therapy, there was such a thing as therapy. I was just trying to make sense of the external world and the world I was subjected to, and then my interior life and my reactions to it. I think I was just looking for does anybody have answers for me? So as I looked at these films and I was thinking, these movies, I don't even know if I like them, because they're just the movies that absolutely built the structure of me and saved my life.
Speaker 1: You are the perfect guest to this. That is how you should be watching fields. Anybody's watching films to escape get out. That's that's great. Well, then this should be very interesting. And also do you feel the same way about all all things? Do you feel the same about music and books and or particularly films?
Speaker 4: Definitely? Absolutely right, definitely, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: I think so. I find it interesting. I've done this podcast for a while and there's a question on it what film you must relate to? And I'm surprised by a lot of people saying, oh, I don't really know the answer to that. I've never really thought about it, and I always think, what is it? What do you mean? Don't you mean all the films?
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the other thing too, which which character in the film or the director or the writer, like there's so many ways to be like which thing am I?
Speaker 4: And then I'm always passive by why did I pick that? Why am I?
Speaker 3: Why am I rooting for that character not the other one? It's so fascinating. Yeah, and then if you don't feel represented, I think that's one of the reasons why I became a writer. Like well, I don't see myself in all the ways I want to see myself. I see a piece of myself there, but I'm still not here yet.
Speaker 1: And have you written films?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've not told any, but I've written a few. And Yeah, it's been an interesting journey. I'm looking forward to when they actually all meet daylight.
Speaker 1: Let's say that's a very nice Well, I'm not sure you want your films to meet daylight that I want my films to meet a darkened room. I don't know. Maybe that's just a different way of looking at it. Oh Moon, I've forgotten to tell you something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh shit, Oh no, you can tell me.
Speaker 1: You don't mind if I just tell you. I should have maybe said this before we were recording. Look, I'm not I've said i'd say i'd cut it if you're uncomfortable with this, but I feel like that might jeopardize the episode. I'll just tell you. I'll tell you you've died. You're dead.
Speaker 4: Wait what what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, is this a joke? No? No, this is real. Hi Jake, you literally froze when I said that as well, your screen friend.
Speaker 3: No, I was trying to feel what that would feel like, if I feel relieved or not.
Speaker 4: I think I feel relieved.
Speaker 1: Do you a bit?
Speaker 4: M hm?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nice and we better check in with you at the end of the episode. You feel a bit? Really? Do you know how you died? How did you die?
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing. I'm a powerful manifestor.
Speaker 3: I really do believe in the written and spoken word, you kind of conjure your life. So my request is to die peacefully in my sleep in real life. But for the purpose of a storytelling adventure, I have a couple of different scenarios.
Speaker 4: The one I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Go with, though, I think, is a standoff. I'm a I'm a cult leader, but I'm misunderstood. Yeah, yeah, misunderstood. Actually, I'm actually one of the decent ones, and there's a hostile standoff and I'm martyred.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's really more like a hotel.
Speaker 1: Hell, are you shot to death by FBI?
Speaker 4: Yes I am, Yes, FBI.
Speaker 1: Shoot, You're in a hotel room with your with your followers.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's it's my my, my cult experience. It's a Tuscany and a state in Tuscany, and it's more like a hotel for friends, like a spar kind of a feeling a great, Oh, it's fantastic. And then yeah, they storm in and they've got it all wrong. And then I'm mark, what's.
Speaker 1: The what's the ethos of your cult? Of this particular one, the one that you're you're martyred for.
Speaker 3: The ethos would be make yourself as happy as possible, for as long as possible, doing good for the world and for yourself.
Speaker 1: Right. What a tragic way to go, just when you were spreading that a quite good message. Yeah, well, let's hope that that message lives on through your your follower is also shot to death by the FBI.
Speaker 4: I hope not so awkward?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how long had they seeded the hotel? How long were you? How long was this stand up?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say it was pretty quick. They it was just such a misunderstanding. They got the call a bit late.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Okay, the reception called you and said hey, and you said, I know, I don't need my room cleaned. And I said no, no, just to let you know, FBI.
Speaker 4: No, I was completely caught off guard. Oh okay, I was completely caught off guard.
Speaker 3: They stormed in, then they did what they did, and then they got the message it's called off it's she's fine, she checks out.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then they're like, oh, do we go with the cover up?
Speaker 1: Or and then they had to kill all your followers because good no, I know say that this is just the facts of the facts, and it's listen. It's a tragic story, but a great Netflix documentary. Do you worry about death?
Speaker 4: Oh? Of course I do every minute.
Speaker 3: It's the thing that drives every single thing I do, from making a cup of tea?
Speaker 4: Is this the last? Is this the last and best cup of tea I can have? Is this the best way?
Speaker 3: Always tried to be like, is this the best possible way I could do this thing?
Speaker 4: In case this is the last time I do this thing.
Speaker 1: That's pretty great. It's exhausting or is that yeah, that's tiring. Nice way to approach your cup of tea. You die.
Speaker 4: It makes me a snob a tea snot. It makes me a snob across the board.
Speaker 1: Actually, because you're like, this isn't good enough because everything is your last. This isn't good enough for my last t This isn't good enough for my last Mayo.
Speaker 4: That's a terrible mantra. But I guess that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Wow, how long have you been that way?
Speaker 4: Since birth? Since birth? Pretty much?
Speaker 1: No time where you weren't worried about imminent death.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I mean I don't think so. I started union therapy recently.
Speaker 3: And when you go back to the pre verbal like what was I feeling and thinking and trying to articulate, I don't think I ever had a feeling of like a calm nervous system ever. So I think I always had some sense of like, WHOA, what's happening here?
Speaker 1: You phonn that way in a panic.
Speaker 4: I do think that that's what happened.
Speaker 3: I think part of it is, honestly, because when I was in utero, my mom's dad died, and I think I was flooded with the grief hormone. And then my father was touring. So here's this twenty two year old girl suddenly having to take care of a baby, and she's a baby herself in a basement apartment on Jane Street in New York City, and I think that that wasn't a great opening scene.
Speaker 1: Wow yeah fuck.
Speaker 3: I mean so I have a totally different nervous system than my siblings because it's a different thing was happening.
Speaker 1: They weren't born through abject grief. They were in Yeah, so they're all pretty chill.
Speaker 3: Well I wouldn't so chill, but uh, they're not as sad as I am.
Speaker 4: Let's say that. Literally, I can be touched by absolutely everything.
Speaker 1: What do you think happens when you die?
Speaker 3: Well, I do believe that there's I believe in the cast records. I don't know why I believe in this, but I do believe that it's like there's a forever library that you can tap into at anytime that's already your death self, that can access this thing and know all things at all times.
Speaker 4: And so I like to imagine that when.
Speaker 3: You go, you just shed the thing that's holding you back from knowing it all the time.
Speaker 1: The forever library. I've never heard that before. Have you made that up with?
Speaker 4: That's personally, that's what I call it, the forever library.
Speaker 1: I love that. So that's all your past lives or that's all of universe, all everything of all time ever exists when you die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, I mean, I think we can all access it. To me, it's the thing that makes us. Like when you think about somebody and then they call you, or you have a little foreshadowing of something, it's because you've tapped in. But sometimes people can you know, block the channel, either on the receiving side or on the sending side. And because it's private, it's private information, you got to ask permission to go in there.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're blowing my mind already. So is that where like create you know, when we did the podcast before I talked about the magic, Like when you're writing and you get sort of lost and you just are writing. Is that Is that because you're tapped into the forever Library?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 1: So yeah, But what's this thing? So you sometimes have to shut down your portal to the forever library in case people can get in that you don't want.
Speaker 3: Well, say, let's let's go. Here's a great example. An ex boyfriend. Maybe instead of cruising their Facebook page, you might be like, oh, I wonder what he's up to in that feeling state inside yourself, but you might be like, it's not my business. That's we've made a contract to not know one another anymore. So I don't need to access the file, and he might be blocking it, and I might want him to block it, or I might want to block it and have him not be able to know anything about me.
Speaker 4: It's you know, sometimes it's.
Speaker 3: The reason why people move to other cities so they can't be found. It's the same thing, except it's in the Forever Library, you know. It's a good example of it is in willy Wonka, when all the little particles are flying over like TV's head.
Speaker 1: Past the Forever Library. I mean, that's just a visual one. I love this, right, I mean already I'm stand into silence. Well, I've got I've got news for you, means Zeppa, there is a heaven in this Forever Library. There's a heaven section where you can just hang out. The only sort of difference with this place for you is that you don't feel abject panic at all times of the day. You feel quite ah. I love it. It's nice, right, you actually feel that piece here and everything you like is there, like pillows, pillows in the background. There's lots of pillows there. It mainly mainly pillow based and but in this pillow based heaven, they're obsessed with films like you and me, and they want to know about your life through film. And the first thing they ask you is what is the first film that you remember seeing?
Speaker 4: The first film is I think Herbie the love Bug?
Speaker 1: Nice? Not really the original, the first one. I'd love to have a film?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was my first movie going experience at the cinema.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the cinema.
Speaker 1: Who were you with?
Speaker 3: I think my mother must have taken me and Dweasel to see it. And what I remember was like laughing in another space, Like my laughter startled me that I was like, oh, that it was in another setting spatially, it went a little farther, traveled different than it did at home, say, and it was with other people, a shared laugh experience. So I was maybe that's how opera singers feel when they encounter a space where a voice rises to a rafter or something else.
Speaker 4: A sound came out, A big sound came out of me.
Speaker 1: Whow where was this? Do you? Whereabouts was this happening?
Speaker 4: I'm assuming it must have been in Hollywood somewhere.
Speaker 1: And how old we you may ask?
Speaker 3: Probably five? I don't know what year that thing came out, but it was little, so you were with a sibling. Yeah, probably were you the youngest, I'm the oldest.
Speaker 1: You quite extraordinary to have the awareness of, oh, this sound is in a different space. I'm moving in a different time space at five, I mean you were, you were tapped in early.
Speaker 3: I've been lonely a while, Brett. It's it's I don't relate to adjust anyone. It's it's I have to wait to be interviewed on a podcast with somebody going oh, yeah, I know that feeling.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. What also the love Bug is? I'm sad you don't think it's good.
Speaker 4: I mean no, I remember thinking it was extremely silly.
Speaker 1: It's a lovely card that's like a dog. Even then he thought this is stupid, this is childish. Believe me, when we get to the stuff I think it's funny, you'll be like, oh, grow up, Herbie. All right, what's the film that scared you the most? Imagine this is a long list, is it, Tommy? Oh, that is a fucking scary film.
Speaker 3: That's a terrifying mo That one really scared me. And what's the one with please sir? They have some more.
Speaker 1: What's that one Oliver Oliver?
Speaker 4: That terrifying to me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is it Oliver Reid? Is he? Is? He the villain?
Speaker 3: He's still the scariest person, the scariest actor like that.
Speaker 4: That role is still it haunts me. Whatever he tapped into.
Speaker 1: So I tell you you know you've seen ted Lasso, right, Yes, you've seen some of the part of ted Lasso based on Oliver reading Oliver.
Speaker 4: Wow, what are you joking right now?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I'm playing Bill Sykes. If Bill Sykes didn't beat Nancy right now, No I'm not. I'm serious. If Bill Sykes didn't beat Nancy to death and had a heart, that's roy Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is so fascinating.
Speaker 1: I did watch the film again recently. It's fucking dark and it's dark. It's really dark. It ends with he gets hung, he beats Nancy to death. Then he sort of hung in the street while people there's a mob underneath him, and then Oliver's sort of there's kind of a happy ending for Oliver, but not like he's left a lot of destruction behind him. It's a very dark upbringing for the poor boy. For it's just he's not going to change Yeah, those two.
Speaker 3: Those two movies are bleak and very disturbing to me.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you saw Tommy?
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe eight or nine, I don't know what year was that. Yeah, that was upsetting to me. You know another movie that has that same vibratory frequency to me is eyes wide shut disturbing.
Speaker 4: It just like taps into something. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like I hear it like a like a musical note where're like sour, weird, lo I don't like it.
Speaker 1: It's like a yeah, Tommy, Tommy's got a vibe about it of like sort of dark chaos or something something like where you go like this is unhinged in a way that makes me feel unsafe, Like, yeah, this isn't necessarily fun. There's something very wrong here. Yeah, yeah, I get that. Yeah. Do you like being scared or is that something you try to avoid giving you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm always scared, so I don't love it. But I did hear you talking about how you do love it in one of the episodes, and I and I was trying to protect like, well, I'm gonna I'm gonna pretend I'm Brett enjoying this that you seem to Okay, what would it be like if I did like it? And uh so I actually have been experimenting with pretending I like Yeah. It is an interesting thing that if you in the same way that if you're lying in chivasana, that's the idea of corpse poses.
Speaker 4: You're confronting your death. And so the idea of like.
Speaker 3: Actively saying I'm going to examine some fear and move it outside of myself in a group setting where I know it's safe, there is something cathartic about that.
Speaker 1: Theoretically, Wait a second, Chavasina means corpse pise. Yeah, you fucking that is your three for three, blowing my mind? What which pose is that? Can you do it? For the for the patriots are on the vision.
Speaker 3: Lying flat on your on your you can have it at your sides.
Speaker 4: It's just it's the final pose.
Speaker 3: The final resting pose is shavasan, and to me, it's the most confronting yoga pose because it's you're you're just you know, it's you're you're you're saying I'm I'm going to entirely let go. But it's a it's a nice practice to see what what could I finally give up? Let go of, especially if you're you know, letting go of things that are painful, like if you're a feeling your own apologies like I feel, for example.
Speaker 1: How you feel I can understand that. Are you any closer to letting that go work?
Speaker 3: No? I think I think I'm getting closer. I think it definitely is a life's work. But I think unless you can do it fast, if I'm always looking for the most efficient way to Yeah, I mean, I think it would be nice if a loving person maybe said the words that no one else is going to say. And it's it's nice when you can say it yourself, but it's even nicer when someone else can say to you with a hand on your and maybe petting your hair a little bit, maybe you're in their app You know, that would be nice.
Speaker 1: So have you read Evensler's The Apology?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I'm looking forward to that. Have you read it?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think it's life changing as an idea, as a concept. I will quickly tell the listener Evensler had a terrible, terrible, dark relationship with her father, spent her life waiting for an apology, waiting for him to acknowledge what he did, etc. Sort of blamed all of her her problems in life on him, on the things that he damaged to the chob which were truly terrible. And then he died, and he died having never said the things she needed to him to say, and so she wrote this short book which is called The Apology, which is her imagining him saying the exact words she wanted him to say, and by doing it, it was a sort of act of an act of letting go, an act of these are the things I needed to hear. He maybe was never capable of it, but it's on me to accept that. And it's also a very good apology. It's a real good sort of this is how you apologize. Yeah, yeah, it's so fascinating and I do, and I've thought about that a lot. I know, I've definitely experienced a lot of this where you're so upset with someone and you want that person to make it right and all of this, and at some point you have to sort of go, they don't think like I do. They're never this is never going to these magical words. I'm they're not coming because they they're not me, and possibly they're not even remotely thinking about this, and I'm the one using all this energy and suffering waiting for this magical anyway here we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the word capacity, I just kind of want to punch it in the taint.
Speaker 1: But this is exactly why I thought this podcast would be. Like, I love it. I'm loving it. I hope you're comfortable. I mean, you're never comfortable. But right, what's the film that made you cry? The mice?
Speaker 3: Jim Sheridan's in America is one of them. That one kills me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. That one just kills me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there a particular reason that one that was.
Speaker 3: I think in two thousand and two, So my father died in ninety three, and I think I just didn't see it coming.
Speaker 4: Tearing up just think about it.
Speaker 3: When you know the final the final scene on the on the you know they're on the fire escape and they and they're looking at the sky.
Speaker 4: Ooh hmmm.
Speaker 3: It just it just I don't even want to give it away for the for the listeners if they haven't if they haven't seen the film, but they say a certain simple phrase that we say all the time when we're departing, and it just it just undid me just undid me because it's it was my father's name, and it just I felt like I got, you know, extra amplification to send someone away that I really cared about that film and gravity killed me.
Speaker 4: Gravity killed me, killed me like.
Speaker 3: Like I had to stay in the theater afterwards howling, like embarrassingly howling.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one, just another one. It totally captured how I've always felt like. I always felt like the things come away from the ship and I'm free falling in space endlessly.
Speaker 1: It's meaning. The problem with doing these over zoom it's very difficult to give you a hug if you're I'm sorry, thanks, Thanks, Brett. Well, that's a great answer, and I very much relate to the gravity thing that's her spinning in space forever gave me a full anxiety, like full like that's the worst thing that could happen. Yeah, what's the film that most people people don't like? It's critically not acclaimed, but you love it with all your heart. You don't give it a shit what anyone says.
Speaker 3: This is a sleeper film that I think needs a second look. Downsizing, Yes, Alexander Payne, Yeah, I think this is a real I think this is a sleeper masterpiece actually, and I know that I don't.
Speaker 4: Even think he likes it, but I think it's really I think it's I think it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't know, there's something about it that really just struck me in so many ways.
Speaker 1: So why doesn't he like it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wonder if I wonder if he really believed what the critics said about it and just was like, yeah, I guess it isn't good because I don't know. I'd love to talk to him about it, because I just I find it.
Speaker 4: I just think it's great. I think it should be studied really truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's purely that it was so different from his other type of films that people were just scared of it or something. I don't know, it was so different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the structure's weird and the story's weird, and there's a character in it that you're just like, why is she in this thing?
Speaker 4: And then you're like, she's the greatest actress A lot.
Speaker 3: Like it's I don't know, there's so many pieces of it that are so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great shout, very underrated. What the what's the film that you used to love you loved it hard, and then you've watched it recently and you've gone, oh no, I don't feel like that anymore.
Speaker 4: Weathering heights that piece of shit.
Speaker 3: I mean, how disfunctional somebody say something in real time and be in this press Like, how that was to me the most romantic?
Speaker 4: What this is toxic? I'm spinning. I'm so angry.
Speaker 1: You're right, that is a very desfunctional relationship and we shouldn't keep celebrating it to sit down and have an actual talk about their feelings.
Speaker 3: And at some point in the movie, when somebody is under the weather, they put her in the sun and make her drink cream.
Speaker 4: I'm like, that is the worst advice under a blanket anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when is drinking cream ever good? What? What century was that the cure?
Speaker 4: I know what.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you've brought this up. I think that Bronte has got a lot to answer for this time we had we revised our views on them. People love that as ship. They love a moody gezer. He's a fucking they do like. That's why I think Fifty Shades of Gray is so popular because, regardless of what you may think of it, quality wise, et cetera. It's about a geezer who's shut down a bit moody, so it's all all all people are drawn to that dynamic. Oh, he's so difficult, and maybe I can make it work if I just let him tie me up and smash me about a bit in this is the dawn of time in the in the literatures. Yeah, I'm glad you called that out.
Speaker 4: What's the antidote to that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess the problem is stories about like emotionally well rounded people just meeting up and getting on aren't perhaps narrative wise, that interesting. That's the problem with Enlightenment in it boring?
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: I think that's it. What's the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is any good, but because the experience you had around seeing it, that will always make it special to you.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a couple of films like I really have a soft spot in my heart for the film Little Darlings. That film also is just I don't know, it's just I feel like.
Speaker 1: What's Little Darlings?
Speaker 3: Little Darlings is Christy McNichol and Tatum O'Neill and Matt Dylan, and it's about two girls that go off to summer camp and they come from opposite sides of the tracks, and they this camp unites them and they get into these kind of a quarrel. They decide to lose their virginity and both of them lie, but one actually does lose a virginity and one doesn't, and they both lie about it. One of the things that really struck me was that was the first time I thought, oh, wait, we as the audience, know something that they don't know. So that was like the first time I think I had that awareness of like POV and how that can shift and how you give the gift of the POV to the to the audience that now we're in on something that we we're holding all of the information. Yeah, it makes you have to like you have to decide if you're you're going to keep their secrets or not. There's something it was very just there was something psychologically satisfying about it, but also just a really sweet, tender film about you know, first intimacies and what that looks like. And I don't know, just that really touched me.
Speaker 4: That film.
Speaker 1: You were probably six when you had that.
Speaker 3: And The other one was is Gangs of New York, because that one was I had a novel come out on September eleventh, and I was in New York and I was two hours into the press and then the towers came down and all that hard work that I had done, it was like POMPEII.
Speaker 4: I was like, what was all that for? What was Why did I you know, cause I had that.
Speaker 3: I really had that moment of thinking, my life's about to start. I finally have done the thing, you know. I followed the Cameron Crow model, like if you finally tell you your story, all doors open, and all doors didn't open, they all exploded closed, and then I had nothing to do with me, and I was I took something humongous so personally and so when I saw and it took me a long time even to be creative again because it was so much work that just was.
Speaker 4: Like boop, it's gone.
Speaker 3: And then when I saw that film, I had a context for how to understand it and set it aside.
Speaker 4: I didn't. There was no other way for me to process it. Prior to that film.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, your nine to eleven was nine to eleven. Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really intane because but what's really funny is when the book came out in the UK the first day of press, I was in this little, you know, little bookstore in Manchester and two skinheads came to the reading, and one one right before I started to read from the book, he says, we're.
Speaker 4: Not here for you, We're here for your father.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, and I said, I said thank you so much, thank you so much. And then he was so disgruntled that I didn't take the bait, and then he goes, no, we're not here.
Speaker 4: For you, for your father.
Speaker 3: And I say, thank you so much. That is so kind, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: And then somebody else goes, that's not very nice. And then they just started punching people in the head in the audience, and I was like, am I on a camera hidden camera show? I know it was that.
Speaker 3: And it was like a third of the people, like like one of those test study groups, Like a third of the people ran for help, a third of the people hid, and a third of the people like got all scrappy with and I'm just staying there frozen, going I don't know what to do. I don't know what's happening anyway. After that, after that event, somebody said, well, this has never happened before, and if I that has that sentence has been said so many times on my watch. And she said, well, at least it won't be this bad in the States. This will never happen again.
Speaker 4: And she was right, Wow, why what was what?
Speaker 1: I don't even understand. I don't know what would What were these men wanting when they said we're here for your father like that?
Speaker 3: You I don't even think they were Zappa fans. That was It was so weird, So they I don't I don't know they were just they were just hooligans.
Speaker 1: So I guess me tell you. I look, I'm sure this is a you don't have to Is it mad to have grown up.
Speaker 4: With completely completely?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you always knew it was mad?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I usually I tell people it was like having across between Jesus and Spock for a father.
Speaker 4: Like even if it was if it.
Speaker 3: Was Jesus as the time, I would have been like, oh, do you have to do everything for everybody?
Speaker 4: Can we just have can we?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh yeah? Can we walk on water in our swimming pool? Just us?
Speaker 4: Just us for a change?
Speaker 1: Oh, man. And that's a difficult I was thinking, I am, I think that must I don't know. Look you could. I'm sure you've talked about this. It must be very hard, it must be very hard to constantly to that being a reference. Well.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, is most people, when somebody passes away, they stay dead, and little by little their voice fades, or their image fades, or their mannerisms fade. There is no chance this zombie lives on and on.
Speaker 1: Zombie Jesus, Wow, fascinating. That story of your book is fucking mad mad. I mean, it's difficult not to see that as a side.
Speaker 4: To stop creating, just be a stay at home something.
Speaker 1: I guess if the world literally ended while I was promoting a book, I'd be like, you didn't. I guess you didn't lie that one? That guy? Okay, you're amazing. Okay, So what's the film that you must relate to?
Speaker 3: Well, again, it hasn't been made yet, but I would say, uh yeah, Gravity probably is the closest to the feeling tone.
Speaker 4: Alien is another one.
Speaker 1: I would say, who in Alien? The Alien? Oh?
Speaker 3: You know another movie that that speaks to me is I can't think of it.
Speaker 4: It's Amy Adams.
Speaker 3: It's another Yeah, you know the Alien one.
Speaker 4: Arrival, Arrival, Arrival?
Speaker 1: I love that film? Why why that one?
Speaker 3: There's something about the responsibility that the position she's put in, the decision she has to make. She's you know, like a grand scale space holder literally and a pioneer. I mean that that movie is making that makes me choke up too. Just what she you know those those are? That movie is so fascinating. I went to read on about the writer. I was like, forget the movie.
Speaker 4: This writer's amazing. What is he? What else is this person thinking about?
Speaker 1: You read his book, his book of short stories that that's from. I read that. Have you read it?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't read it, but I went and read that piece of about that story and how, and then I learned more about how that what that story actually is about, and I was just fascinated by it.
Speaker 1: He is quite the mind means uppa, what is the sexiest film ever made?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Okay, well there's a scene in The Postman Always Rings twice?
Speaker 4: Come on dirty?
Speaker 1: That doesn't come up? Hasn't come up? What doesn't come up? On this? Yeah? Good shot, good chow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is very that's just that's just ridiculous. She's amazing.
Speaker 3: I think she might be that she she exudes sex appeal, all that jazz.
Speaker 1: Good lord her in Kate Fear. I mean, she's amazing. That's a really good shout and I'm surprised that hasn't come up. And that is on that list of films where people were like, oh did they do it for real? Because it looks like it and they were going out at the time when they say legit, good show means appa. There's a sub category to this question, traveling Bone is worrying, why does what's the film you found arousing that you weren't sure you should?
Speaker 4: Ten? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Why why not?
Speaker 3: Because I think I don't know, there's it's it's kind of misogynistic. Oh yeah, yeah, So I think whenever whenever I identify with the misogynist and something, I'm like, that's weird, you know, when I when I'm objectifying somebody, it's that's a weird feeling to be looking through that that lens.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting, yes, but well, perhaps it shows the power of all this culture because it is designed to be arousing and exciting, and I guess even with intellectual lenses on it, it's hard not to be moved by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say the same thing with Flash Dance, that scene with the water and the shadow. I don't think that that's necessarily supposed to be for girls to be aroused by, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But I was like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: That's why am I having a lady feeling about this as a heterosexual lady.
Speaker 4: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another weird scene that is creepily erotic is oh god, it's a rape.
Speaker 4: Scene in Brooklyn something Brooklyn. What's her name? Jennifer Jason Lee is in the back of a car getting gang raped.
Speaker 1: Oh, last exit to Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last exit to Brooklyn. That scene. I'm just like that. I got to see a therapist after this. I don't know what. Why did that? Huh? I shouldn't do the thing.
Speaker 1: No, I mean fair play. That's a perfect answer. You can't. There's nothing more troubling than that answer. That is a troubling boner. Some people really struggle with that question. You've passed with flags. Does it surprise me? What is what is objectively, objectively the greatest film of all time?
Speaker 4: Laurens of Arabia?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, moving on, what is the film that you could or have what's the most over and over again?
Speaker 4: Heaven can wait? Really?
Speaker 1: I love the reason wonder one bet you one?
Speaker 4: Yes that when that? I love that film so much.
Speaker 1: It's a lovely film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Charles Grodin is so funny. Can It's so funny? And then just that story is so touching to me?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it? Julie Christie, m mamma Miah Y so love it. So it's And that's the film that got remade a million times, and it was originally called a Guy called Joe? Is that right?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 1: Then always this sort of that as well.
Speaker 4: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: Basically he dies and then comes back for a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And in this in this iteration of it, he's he comes back in the body of an old man and somebody he shouldn't get along with.
Speaker 4: They they have a connection.
Speaker 3: And then when he finally wins her over because she doesn't want to be won over by this person, then he they find the alternate body he's supposed to be in because there's a you know, a fuck up in heaven, and then they all remember him, but then he doesn't remember them. So there's this piece of like that they have to start over again, and maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't. But do you remember that how that how she they recognize something each other's eyes and then he doesn't record.
Speaker 4: He can't.
Speaker 3: He's lost the ability, he's afresh being. But she still has to now be the holder of this idea.
Speaker 1: I like that idea a lot. You know what, I think one of the most romantic films I've ever made is fifty First Dates, The Adams and the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The idea that you have to start every single day again with a blank slate and make someone pull in love with you all over again every day. I think that's okay.
Speaker 3: Isn't that like the Enlightenment you were objecting to just a few sentences a girl.
Speaker 1: When you put it like fifty first dates, that's not boring, is it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Wow? I guess Enlightenment's okay. I'm glad we found their way back to it. That was the devil distracting way, taking me off the path, the devil with my again. Enlightenment's boring. Yeah, that sound bory, go over there. We don't like to be negative. I don't think you do either. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Bridges of Madison County in the DA Vinci Code.
Speaker 1: A heck of a double bill. Why I mean Davindy guide. I understand why Bridges, the beloved Bridges of Master County.
Speaker 3: Because just this whole thing of like, I'm having an affair and I family found myself and I'm not gonna go with my true hearts thing because I'm gonna I'm gonna go back to my family and just continue living alive.
Speaker 4: But it's a secret line.
Speaker 3: It's like what garbage and then torture the family and then the kids find the thing and they're like.
Speaker 4: Wait, what who was? Who was our mother? Even?
Speaker 3: And now we're supposed to be like what are we How we're supposed to feel about that other than confuse, angry, the complexity, the selfishness.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you gave up your happiness for us, and we're supposed to be pleased about this, but now we live with the guilt of you could have been happy, but we held you back. You put all that on us.
Speaker 4: Why did you even have us? And now we have no way to argue it out with you. Fuck you?
Speaker 1: This person was obsessed with Bridges. You cares this is your guy? What did he do?
Speaker 3: Take bridges and I really think like you do, think about a bridge guy.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that is a that's a great shot. What's the film? It means up but you're funny. What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 4: Okay, so well, there's so many, but one that shouldn't make me laugh Caveman with Ringo Star and.
Speaker 3: Cave Man You don't You're you're not really missing much. But that was as a kid, that one really made me laugh.
Speaker 1: What is it? It's Ringo Star as a cave man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what's I want to say? Yeah, no, it was it was just that was silly. I can't that's I loved all the airplane movies as a kid. I loved all the Pink Panther movies. I loved Time Bandits was a favorite.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I want to know more about this game man show. It's Ringo Star. What it's like California Man, It's like Encino Man, but with Ringo.
Speaker 3: Star, It's it's just it's just the most dumb. It's just dumb that there's you know, I know the song. I don't want to have to pay money for the the composer, but anyway, there's just.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna have to. I think we all want to hear this song because.
Speaker 4: You know, there's like a there's a blind cave man.
Speaker 3: He keeps switting his hand in fire. It's hilarious, you know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Moon Zappa, you've been a wonderful guest. You've been everything I hoped you'd be. This has been wonderful. Thank you for sharing everything. However, when you became a cult leader, which isn't I think much of a stretch, and you've moved your you and your followers to a hotel in Tuscany, it's a lovely cult preaching sort of tolerance and love and being good to other people and good to yourself. I think the fact that you kept aggressively calling it a cult raised some alarms when it was arguably a holiday with some friends, but you kept you kept saying it's a coat, it's like a cult in it. And someone at the hotel, I think there's a cult in our hotel, and they call the FBI, as as hotels do. The FBI showed up. You were in the middle of a meditation, you know, you were doing yoga and you were doing corpse pose, which again I'm not making any judgment, but I feel like that was misleading. And the FBI bang on the door. You thought it was has keeping. Next thing you know, they come in with guards, kill you, shoot you dead, and then they say, oh shit, I don't think she was as bad as we thought. And the followers say, we saw what you did, and they go, you saw it, did you? And then they shoot all of the itself. It is a mess. Now. I happen to be passing. I was just doing a little tour of sets from Kenneth Brown has much ado about nothing. So I was in Tuscany and I heard about this colt. I said, I know about this colt a bit. And I go to the hotel and I said, there's this coat and I go, ah, it's been a bit noisy from that room. I go to the room. It's a fucking massacre. Everyone's dead. You are splattered. I'm sorry, but you are splattered against the wall. I have to get I brought a coffin with me, by the way, I'm always walking with a coffin, like how we have a Clint Eastwood. The coffin I had was the size of you. But there's you're splattered onto fucking the wall. I'm having to chip bits of the wall off, pick up bits of the carpet that you're spread into. Anyway, I stuff you into this coffin, but there's more of you than was expected because of all the extra bits that you've stuck to stuffed you in. It's jam pat. There's very little room for anything. There's enough room for one DVD for a pillow. No, no pillow, I'm afraid. Oh okay, one DVD that I can slide into the side of the coffin for you to take to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night, and one night it's your movie night. What film are you taking to show the people in heaven when it's your movie night, moons Apper.
Speaker 3: Today, just for today, it's going to be Force Maseure the Avalanche.
Speaker 1: Wow wee movie because you want everyone to feel deeply uncomfortable to heaven.
Speaker 3: Remember this feeling you're left behind, Remember having to make choices and having a bit of conflict and affects everything.
Speaker 1: And this was life, right, this was life, guys. We're free. Not a bad choice. It's a great shout, moons Appy, You've been brilliant. Is there anything you would like to tell people to look out for or listen to or read, perhaps your novel novels.
Speaker 3: You know what I would tell people to read the book Breath by James Nestor. That's what I would tell people to read. That book is a game changer. It's a it's about how to breathe, actually how to breathe. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Does it have a section on how to self promode?
Speaker 4: I'm a cult leader till the end.
Speaker 3: I want I want you to be uplifted, at empowered and live your exceed your your expectations for yourself, so to go beyond beyond.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm happy to be part of your cult. Thank you very much for doing this means Eppa have a lovely death and good night.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: That was another rewind classic. We'll be back on August night with ten brand new episodes. Thanks for listening. I hope you're all well. I hope you're having a lovely summer. Thank you to screwp This, Pip and the Destruction Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace and producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Peraoh's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and leads to Laden for the photography. So that is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week and please be excellent to each other