Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, your guide to the white tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go Farther, Stay Longer, and now your host, Mark Kenyon, Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast.
Speaker 2: This week on the show, I'm joined by Bobby Kendall to discuss advanced hunting strategies such as the difference between hunting offensively versus defensively, and the Djenga approach to killing big bucks. All right, folks, welcome back to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, brought to you by First Light and their Camo for Conservation initiative and their brand new line of white tail gear that came out this year. Lots of exciting stuff on that front. I will touch on it just a little bit, but before that, I want to let you know about the show we've got today. We've got a hell of a show for you. My guest today is mister Bobby Kendall. Now, Bobby is someone who's been on the show a couple times in the last two ish years. The first time he came on to talk habitat the second time he came on to talk a little bit about habitat and a little hunting, but in the what would you do format that we do sometimes, but I wanted to get him on here at the beginning of kind of peak hunting season to dive really deep into his hunting approach, his tactics, his strategies, and what I like about Bobby is his analytical approach, the detailed mindset he kind of takes to the with him. Now, if you didn't see the past couple episodes that we did with Bobby for not familiar, Bobby was a former guide. He used to work for some outfitters in Illinois a number of years ago, and then, gosh, I'm not exactly sure when he started, but he started a company called the Whitetail Group, which first started as a company that bought and resold farms, and then they started managing farms, slipping farms, then doing consultations on farms, then doing all sorts of different content around whitetail hunting, whitetail habitat management strategies. They make some of their own products now, box blind scrape trees, all sorts of stuff. But what grabbed my attention with Bobby when I first started seeing his content a couple of years ago. Was what I mentioned two minutes ago, This analytical approach, the very very thoughtful way he thinks about what deer do, why deer do what they do, and what all that means for us as deer hunt trying to get close enough to them to get a shot. And so today's podcast we really go into the nuts and bolts of his hunting philosophies. I think we do about as good of a job as I've heard anywhere of getting into Bobby's mind. That's what I wanted to do today. So a couple of the particularly interesting things we cover. I kind of tease this at the beginning, but Bobby has this approach that he refers to as a defensive approach to deer hunting rather than an offensive. So think about the two sides of the ball in a game of football game right offense versus defense. Well, he plays on the defensive side, and I think it's it's an interesting way to look at things and very different than some folks these days. We also talk about the Jenga approach to deer hunting, which we'll get into. We talk a lot about how he chooses stand sites, and not only builds ambush locations, but finds ambush locations. And I want to make a key point here. You know, Bobby maybe has become best known for the heavily managed properties that he sets up and consults on, but he also does a lot of his own hunting on permission farms or pieces that he can't actually develop. He's had a lot of experience in that too, And I really wanted to focus a lot of our conversation today on those kinds of setups, because if you're listening now in October, when this podcast is coming out, you don't have time to develop your farm, You don't have time to make habitat manipulations. What I really wanted to cover it today was what can we find in the woods right now? If I'm heading out in the woods scouting a new piece, how do I pick a stand with what's there now? What can I do with the cards of them and dealt to me now in October or November, whatever it is. So that is really the key filter to look at this episode through. Everything we talk about should be relevant to you right now to help you kill a deer in whatever situation it is that you find yourself in. So cover All those things cover a lot about his approach to patterning, deer analyzing, deer timing, deer hunts, a lot of good stuff. I enjoyed this one. It should set you up well for success in the coming weeks here as we roll through October and then enter that sweet sweet month of November. So I'm excited for you guys to listen to this. I also want to let you know that if you are listening to this the day it comes out or the first couple days afterwards, which would be oh gosh, I should have had this pulled up, this would be October third, would be the day this is coming out. October third, twenty twenty fourth, if you're listening on that date or the fourth, fifth, or sixth. Meat Eater's Whitetail Week is still ongoing. So white Tail Week is something we kicked off last year. Basically, it's a big old celebration of white tails. We've been able to convince everyone on the Mediator team to produce white tail focus content because you know what, even though Steve and Kale and some of these other guys live out West and they chase mule deer and elk and moose and all that stuff. It's cool, but white tails are America's big game animal, right the critter that we all love and know so well is the most pursued, most beloved animal across the entire country. So I think it's well warranted that we spend a little extra time given some love to this creature, this incredible critter. So content across the board. New podcasts from myself of course, from Tony from Meat Eater, new podcasts and films from the Element of course, Rough Fresh Radio coming out this week. We have new films from me. My twenty twenty three films are starting to come out, so we have my return to the Back forty. If any of you guys followed the Back forty TV series a couple of years ago, you are likely aware of the fact that we bought a farm a handful of years ago. We worked for two years to try to transform this piece into a good hunting property but also kind of a biodiversity hotspot. Tried to make this property good not just for bucks, but also birds and bunnies and butterflies and everything between. Can we take astic approach that was the question with this property, and then also could we not only make this a wildlife paradise, but could we also use it to help other people, especially help educate newer hunters. So that's what we try to do for the two years that we owned it. But then when we got done, we gave the farm to the National Deer Association for them to continue using in a similar way, for them to continue managing and showcasing as an educational spot, specifically for their field to fork hunting program. This is their new hunter mentorship program where we bring a whole bunch of new hunters out a couple different times throughout the year, pair them with mentors, and they get to have a great hunting and educational experience on the Back forty. So this new film tells that story. It catches everybody up on what's happened in the last three or four years since we gave the farm to the NDA. There's a really cool story that I get to share in this about two new hunters who have been on the podcast in the last couple of years. So maybe you've heard the story, but force An, we're two folks that got to help kill their first deer on the Back forty and we've continued to kind of hunt together. I've continued to try to teach them along the way, and they've now become volunteers on the back forty giving their time to improve the habitat, and now they're even even mentoring new hunters themselves. So I got to spend some time with them for this film. I think you'll enjoy it. I hope you enjoy it. So that's film number one. Film number two is the story of the Wide nine, so hopefully you guys are familiar with that story. It's been several years ongoing, the longest experience I've ever had with a single buck. This is my fourth season with that deer last year and finally was able to wrap my tag on them. So that film, it's it's something I'm really excited to see come out. It's a heck of a story.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a roller coaster ride. So that story is finally going to be out on film today if you're listening on the day this comes out October third. The Wide nine film is over on the mediat YouTube channel, so check that out. Lots of other stuff over there, Yeah, just more whitetail content than you can shake a stick out on the website. Then it crossed First Light and our other family of brands. We've got a whole bunch of deals going on. The big thing is buy more, save more, So something like, if you buy two hundred dollars worth of gear, you save fifty bucks. If you buy four hundred dollars worth of gear, you save x number of dollars. I know it's up to two hundred dollars in saving. So if you were thinking of buying one of the new white tail kits that I've told you guys about earlier this year, now is probably about as good of a time to do it as you could save two hundred bucks off one of those sets. So check it out at themeateater dot com or first Light dot com. That's it on that front for me. Let's just get to the episode. This is a great chat with Bobby. I think we're all gonna learn a lot and it should help us on our future hunt. So here we go. All right back with me today we've got Bobby Kendall. Welcome back to the show, Bobby, thanks for having me. So yeah, I'm excited to do this one. I have. I found that your approach, your kind of analytical style of deer hunting, meshes very well with the way I see things and think about things, so I've been naturally drawn to hearing your take on stuff and very interested in it. So We've done two podcasts previous, as you know, but never have we gotten deep into your hunting side. We did the Habitat one, we did one of our what would You Do episodes where we touched on some hunting stuff. But there's a lot of ground left uncovered, which is why I wanted to get you back on here. And you know, when this podcast airs will be early ish October, so a lot of hunting season ahead foreverone. But people are definitely getting I guess in your words, they're getting Rammy now, they're getting excited. M yeah, so so so yeah. I'm hoping we can kind of geek out on the nuts and bolts of your hunting strategy. And that brings me to my first question though, which is are you getting Rammy yet? Are you getting excited yet? We're days away from opening day in Illinois and Michigan when we're talking. Are you feeling it?
Speaker 3: I'm definitely feeling it. That's actually that's actually one of the things I was gonna maybe talk about today is when I was younger man. I used to get Rammy, and I mean Rammy me and my buddy that hunted together. It was kind of a running joke. We know he's just sit there and kind of be Rammy. But honestly, I learned to just trust the process and not get Rammy. It feels like, even when I'm having successful seasons, eight percent of the season feels like nothing's going on or it's not that exciting. And I think it's a good headspace. I think people don't really talk about the mental space of deer hunting, and it is so important because when you start getting Rammy and you start losing faith in the system and losing faith in all the strategy and the anticipation you've done, I feel like that starts causing problems. So I'm not Rammy. I actually, as of right now, there's a couple of deer I know about around, but I don't have anything any candidates that are wanting to play the game right now, which I'm totally fine with. Sometimes I think this time of year, we're now, we're starting to transition. But sometimes I think if you don't have one this last month on camera, it almost means you could have higher odds of having one as they move around, you know, probability. So I'm not Rammy. I was just looking forward to it, looking forward to helping some other people and stuff as of right now, and so yeah, looking forward to it. Not Rammy.
Speaker 2: So why do you say that you almost think you have a better chance of a good one showing up later.
Speaker 3: Well, you just odds, you know, the deer shift or like in the summertime, you have all those bucks together, so your odds of having one on camera if you're not where they're at, are less. And so if your farm is this void over here and you don't have one as they disperse, you know, you just have a good chance of having one fill that void, especially if you have multiple maturitier in an area, because I feel like when they do disperse within that upper age group, they each take their own their own they set up shop in their own little space, and then they start marking their territory as you know, we get into this time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, your kind of mindset right now, in which you are not Rammy yet, is the perfect setup for maybe the biggest overarching set of questions I had for you, because I've heard you talk about they're basically being two different styles of hunting philosophies. There is like a strategy where you are on the offensive or you can be on the defensive. And I've heard you say that you have a defensive hunting strategy. I'd love to better understand what you mean by that and why you take the defensive approach, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And another way saying that is risk versus reward. I'm always looking at that. It's kind of also like saying probability are what are the odds right now? So in October, for example, you have the whole month to hunt a big deer doing what he's doing. No need to get Rammy, for sure. And in the beginning of the month, you know, risk reward to do a certain thing, push in or whatever it's. It's you can be a lot more subtle versus the end of the month when you're kind of running out of time to hunt him doing what he's doing before he goes to the rut. If there's a chance of me getting Rammy during the deer seas and it's when the sun goes down on Halloween night and I haven't got him killed yet, That's when I'm like, here, we go getting ready for the grind. But but yeah, so and and that same risk reward philosophy for me, you know, goes right into the rut. And a lot of times, you know, as I'm hunting November, I'm getting I'll get more and more aggressive, and sometimes I'll have a deer peg like he's in a bowl. It's kind of not bowhuntable. It just it doesn't make sense to go in there because the wind swirl or whatever and then open a day gun season, which I do. I love him opening day risk award goes food and I'll just be in there really early in the morning, up as high as I can get, you know, and looking over ground zero. You know, so that would be like the ultimate flip of risk reward. Does that explain that kind of and and hunting on the defensive? You know, It's it's just we're always like when we do like consoles and stuff help people, I always try and get them to think of their farm as a nature preserve. Everybody wants to hunt that that legendary nature preserved down the road. And it's like, well, how do you make your farm that that vibe it can be? You know, you set it up in a way that you haunt as little of it as possible, and you haunt as effectively as but still effective, you know, And that's hunting defensively. Every time you go in and out, you're not bogering things up, You're not you know, hurting things. So I guess that's maybe a different spin on on hunting defensively, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard you also describe it as you know, some people are always trying to find something to do to kill a deer, like I'm going to use this strategy you've been listening. Yeah, I'm prepared, so you I've heard you talk about how some people want to find something to do and you're more worried about the things not to do. Can you expand on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look at the at the foundation of this, like all this deer hunting has become, and I'm guilty of it, it's become this massive like operation of development and strategy and whatever, but at its foundational level, and it's most of the dear I've killed has still been at this kind of foundational level. You've got to be able to like understand big deer and their mindset, and you need to be able to hunt them just in the wild, you know, and so all this other stuff it's built on those foundations and principles of how big deer think and act. So what was the question again.
Speaker 2: Well, just just help me understand how you know a lot of people are looking for like the stuff they want to do, and you're more worried about not doing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like at the foundational level, you need to be thinking about that and just hunting a deer and being out ahead of his mindset and you know, making good decisions. And that requires like you know, thinking and taking your bow and arrow and your tree stand to the woods and hunting. It doesn't require like, for example, calling to your rattling. I do not bind rattle, rattle, and if and this is like hunting a mature deer, right, I think so many people that are just blind rattling. If they happen to call in the biggest mature deer in the area, they don't know they called him in. He is so far down wind and gone it's not even funny. So I feel like without really under like I'll sit there sometimes with the antlers for half hour and I'm like, nope, not feeling it. Like there's so small windows where you can just feel the electricity in the woods, and you know that they're mind set is like they're just gonna run up there and come in there because they are not in a good head, you know, frame of mind. And so that's the type. And even then I don't know that I really ever blind rattle, because like quick story, I had. The biggest year I ever killed was two eleven, and I saw him coming across the field and I called this and that, and it had poor rain, and he came down to my left and he went to a creek and he stopped perpendicular to me, and for like five minutes he stood there and he'd looked left at me, and he'd look across the creek, and he'd looked left and look across. He wanted to cross that creek to get down with me so bad. And finally he's like, well, i'll just go take a peek, and he turned left and he came right down because he couldn't cross the water, and he stopped as soon as he could see the plot, and he turned around and went the other way, and he killed him next morning. But that's just an example of how badly they do not want to come in. You know that that's just one example, but there's so many things, like everything is a tool. We have all these strategies and it's all a tool. Well and some of it. You know, there's times and places. You know, there's times and places for giant food plots because you have a situation that makes it really huntable even though it's giant. There's other times for little food plots with It's just kind of all tools, you know, And you know, I just kind of I'm always thinking, like I'm trying to visualize what the deer is going to do or how he's going to use it, or how he's going to act and think like him, you know, and if it doesn't make sense, then probably won't do it. But yeah, back to the original question, I just think keeping it basic hunting like a ghost, not leaving as much scent on the farm as you can. Understanding thermals, you know, like I generally nowadays, I'm going to the woods in my my work clothes that I was like my pants I was working in that day, Like because I've tried so long all the stuff for scent and it's like I stink, I must think, so I'm gonna get smell it anyway, And yeah, it can make a difference. And I'm not saying not it's all little strategy, but there's things that you can focus on, Like I think if people focus more on thinking like a deer and learning a deer and stuff, they'd be more successful than some of the you know, I don't want to use the word gimmick, but just some of the stuff that goes on.
Speaker 2: All right, So is it fair to say then rather than crazy aggressive moves or gimmicky stuff or products, you would take the It's a long game, so I'm going to think like a deer, run the marathon and minimize mistakes. Is that like a succinct way to summarize.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think of the season as a whole, you know, And if I get my few opportunities, I've done well. So you just never getting rammy and and always always trying to leave that farm undisturbed that that day when you come out, I think, is the philosophy trying to keep your farm, the nature preserved in the in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so if I want to be a more defensive minded hunter, I should be thinking about two of the things you just said. There, which is, you know, treating the farm like a glasshouse. Uh, not getting too rammy. Are there any other like core fundamentals to being that style of hunter that we need to take note of.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. As far as hunting defensively, I mean, yeah, you know, I guess another thing we get into talking about is the mindset and kind of being out in front of the deer. But that's that's kind of the next conversation. Probably, Yeah, I do want to talk about that one more foul up than on this.
Speaker 2: Can this ever go too far?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Can you ever be too defensive? Two passive?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Explain that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't want people to get that. Yeah. So yeah, this is almost going to contradict a lot of this stuff. When you have a big deer on camera, like you need to be trying to kill him because generally speaking, he's not going to be there the whole season. He's not going to be wanting to get shot in the whole season. Like you need to capitalize on that. Whether it's whether it's October one or ten, or you know whatever, you need to be hunting that deer. I've had people. I had a guy for a few years ago that had a giant and he's I'm like, what are you doing? And I mean he told me about exactly what the deer is doing. He's like, well you know so and so says, wait till November when it's right. I'm like, whoa, that deer is gonna be gone, dude. So yeah, you need to get in there. Here's another thing to keep in mind if you get lucky. So there's one thing, the pressure on your farm. You have the farm long term. You're trying to grow and hold a big deer in a safe space. It is a glasshouse. It's a delicate act. You need to let him feel like that's that nature preserve, so he's going to live in there. On the flip side of that, which I've ran into this situation a lot because I bought a lot of farms and acquired a big deer, you know, not on purpose, but just one that was there. And when you get a piece or you get permission on a piece, and you put cameras out and you have a big mature deer, he is called the older he is, the longer he's called that home likely the smaller his core has gotten. And it can be extremely difficult to run that deer out of there. And I've seen that over and over again. I've made some I had to go around with a deer a few years ago on our YouTube channel. There's a video called face Space with a Monster And anyway, I had to go around with this deer and it was unbelievable. I couldn't run him out of there. So, you know, there's every situation is different. You know, if you're hunting your your farm and you're managing your farm and it's your farm for bever or whatever, like, yeah, need you need to you know, it's a glass house. But if you just find a deer, you have got to you have got to hunt that thing. You can't just sit around. And you know, and that's a loaded question too, sit around and wait for the perfect days in October. You know, you need to use probability on your to your advantage. You may only have four or five days that he walks in daylight because of the weather, environmental conditions, and you need to up your odds by being in the woods each one of those days. So so you do you do need to hunt a lot, but you need to hopefully have situations that allow you to get in and out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's the cool thing about your hunting, Like there is no one size fits all. It's really it's almost like you just got to sit back and take a lot of these philosophies and principles and then make educated guesses and decisions and all the little probability and all the little strategizing adds up and probability will reward you over the years and over the over time, you know, But there is no one size fits all, and that's what's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like you. I've heard you just compare it to like a game of Djenga, where you're just slowly pulling off pieces here and there when the time is right in the right place, piece by piece by piece, and finally, you know, eventually the tower comes tumbling down. But it wouldn't work if you went in there and just try to smash the whole thing down with your hand without thinking that through in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, deer hunting is like it's it's a methodical, slow paced thing, and you have all this strategy and have strategy and physical strategy that you've done on the farm, whether it's massive manipulation on your own farm or it's just scouting and hanging and having a plan for or trees picked out to go up with a climber. It's the physical strategizing, and then it's the mental strategizing once we get into this time of year and and it's the prep you know, the tuning of your bow and the all the it's everything. It's it's a lot of little things. And that's what he's talking about. The game agenda. Every one of those strategies that's a block and some of those things, any one thing is not really going to make or break. But when you start adding all that up and you're super dialed. You know, a lot of the most successful deer hunters I see are just very, very over analytical, and they're very you know, they just cross every t and dota every eye. How many dear have you heard about, like somebody that they didn't end up getting job because of something stupid that happened. I mean, I've been guilty of it too. So it's just having everything dialed. And sure enough, it's that one. It's the last limb that you were like trimming lanes and you're sitting there and you're like, I'm not getting out of tree to go get that stupid thing, and then that's the one it costs that deer, you know.
Speaker 2: So, uh so, Okay, what you're what I'm hearing is that most of the time we are treating the property like a glasshouse. Most of the time we are not getting rammy ahead of things. But when the time is right, when the moment is right, you have to capitalize on it. You said, if you've got a big deer on camera, But do you mean do you mean that you're gonna be poking in there and hunting a bunch even if it's just nighttime pictures or are you waiting for the daylight or are you waiting for your magic X days and specific conditions. I guess more generally, I'd love to hear more about what will make you push in and do a hunt on this property that's supposed to be a glass house. But but sometimes you've got to do it. When do you take your swings?
Speaker 3: Yep, So maybe we could tie this one into a current story that's kind of unfolding. So I've got a friend of mine. It's a couple from out of town. They bought a few farms from me, and they've bought some other farms and they have a giant deer on camera, I mean right here near my house and I don't. So I'm like, I'd like to live vicariously through you. Got to help you out. So i mean a giant deer. So I was like, I'd love to help you. Guys they live out of town and then you know, they show up and they just it's hard for them to get everything set up and everything. So leading up to this point this started unfolding maybe three or four weeks ago, I'm trying to anticipate this deer's what he's going to do, right, I'm also thinking, Okay, this area has a big picture. I'm thinking, Okay, this area has got a lot of hunting pressure. This farm that they bought did not, so in order for this deer to be this age and this big on this several hundred acre farm, he's probably this is probably home. He's probably spent a lot of time here. So also with all that hunting pressure and stuff, I'm like, we need to really try and get this done. In October, so they have late planted beans. They've got the latest planet beans in the year in the area. They also have some corn, so we got on a zoom and kind of came up with a plan and basically, this deer we have to mitigate like a westerly wind. But where my mindset goes to is what's this deer going to do? Okay, he's gonna be most likely because this is his core and it's the latest beans around. The biggest deer generally will hang on to the field that's just got looks like some yellow leaves, but there's green ones down in. He'll be in that field. That's the last place they'll leave usually, so when he transitions from that, so they're already lucky because they're going to have that green field. I wish it was corn because we can mow corn back there. They have like a so this field goes back into the east and then and then there's like a turkey foot and they had planted a little food pot there. But the westerly winds, the type of winds that were anticipating having the night that he walks in October, are going to have some west in it. So we need to mitigate that. So we need to use a ditch for thermals. We need to use a box line. Where do we want to sit? So we have an up ran found that spot. Put the box there. The next thing is as these this small window where the beans are green, what's he going to do? He is going to transition from that green to other green slash corn. So I got two spots that up to buy that corn ready to mow. Blinds put on there if he shifts to the corn. And there's kind of like one hundred and twenty yard gap that goes from the corn to the beans, And I've got brownings along the road lined up so I can catch him anytime he transitions.
Speaker 2: And it's the transitions in that moment.
Speaker 3: It's the closest corn round. So the last step was the green and of course we haven't had rain, so those food plots are kind of at the far end of those beans, and we need to drag him to the west through a little death trap. These beans were very short, they were really late planted, and they're on thirty inch rows. So I went over there and I drilled wheat, ratuses and turnips for candy, and I actually drilled a really heavy dose of winter Piece because winter Piece, to me, they generally like will get decimated, you know what I mean, Like anytime you try and plan them. They just wipe them out, but they love them because it's so close to a soybean. I almost drilled soybeans in the mix too, to get a bunch of baby soybeans. And that's kind of putting all my eggs in that. Just we're trying to hold him there in extra couple of days to catch one front. So I drilled into the standing beans, I know, till then we didn't get rained. So then I went over there and spent a day with a water tank and I put twenty six tank foles, which equates a half of an eight inch per acre. I watered this entire shield because I'm like, we've got desperate times called for desperate measures. We've got to drag that in all the while. So that day again back to the hole. You can't run a big deer out thing. Somebody was like, Oh, you're gonna run that deer out. I'm like, that night, after I took twenty six trips back and forth in there, he was back there on camera. A few days later. I went back to check to see if it germinated. I went back in there, and he was on camera that night too, Both at night, which I'm totally fine with. So all that being said, I've anticipated what he's gonna do. He's gonna be on the last being field, which we have. We have a westerly wind, we've mitigated that, and we're dragging him to And this is the final thing I did. There's like a fifty yard gap. I took my side by side and I grabbed all these tree tops that had blown down on the edge of the field, and we do all these walls, you know, like from excavation walls to wolven wire fences whatever. I used to do this a lot when I was young. But I just grabbed all these blowdowns and I drug him around the field and where that wishbone comes to the beans, I just laid them from that corner over there. I actually mowed under the tree branches in the corner because that's where the natural concentration of the set's going to be. I anticipated where's he gonna want to scrape, So I led the horse to water and I mowed it to dirt because it was really tall brush. Gave him that spot, and then from that corner, I laid those tree tops out into the beans, so it looks like a tree fell out in the field and then I didn't start no tilling him until this side of that. So I'm leading the horse to water and i'ms and this probably won't work out like this, but if I'm that deer and what he's doing, I'm gonna come out stage in those little food pot that's already there. Which if my peas and stuff popped and he transitions, which as of last night. I text these guys this morning, I said, did you notice how many deer are on the camera now loitering right there? It's because that stuff popped. And I said, if he starts doing this, which he did at last night, I'm going to go in and I'm going to disk half of that food plot in it's over there in bow range because I don't want him loitering downwind and I don't want him hanging up back there. So the current situation now we got this pinch because of these blowdowns. We basically reverse engineered thinking like a deer for a very specific window, which is October. He should do this the whole month of October unless he goes that corn. But I think he'll be back and forth, So you know, I don't know if that kind of ties everything in. But currently I was texting them this morning, I said, here we are. We got a decent look and opening day. There's generally a very small window, like the first few days a season where before they start getting to like rammy or reclusive. That's a really good date phase or mindset to get one killed. We have this weird like long It's not like a really powerful magic X. It's kind of like a long one. It's subtle. But I said, the next few days will tell you know if he locks onto this and starts doing this. I don't really care if a deer is doing something at night, especially this time of year, that's what they do. I mean, you just got to pay attention to what they're doing at night. So like in this example last night, I mean he was he was doing what we want him to do. And that's all good and fine, because in my opinion, big matured Europe they're not necessarily like geniuses. They're not like they can't like reason, or they're not smarter than other deer. They just when they get into this mindset in the fall and they start getting inclusive and stuff, they have a much more specific set of triggers that make them walk in daylight, but then when you see them, they're just so we're all good with him walking at night. It's fine. You just got to anticipate the days that you need to be there in daylight, which would be opening days looking decent. Because we have a north northwest, we have some form of a high pressure front. It's a long, kind of slow drawn out one. But we also have a magical little date in those first couple of days of the season.
Speaker 2: And you're saying that that's magical just because it's the first couple of days of the season and they haven't been pressured yet. It's it's still relatively natural movement at that point, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that gets into my whole date phase, mindset philosophy or not philosophy. It's just and again, like I've seen people comment sometimes my stuff where they're like, oh, it's not this regimented. Well it's not, but it's like really good to have a regimented approach because it keeps you within the realm of probability. And so, like I talk about date phase or mindset, like some people call it the phase of the deer season, some call it whatever, But those three things mean the same thing. When you talk about date, what it really means is what phase of the deer season we're in. It also mean ultimately means what is the mindset of the dear and that changes. October is kind of the same mindset throughout the month. It's just that it gets more rammy or more powerful. He's in a territory, mark working, grumpy move in October. Now there's two little there's a couple of little windows or micro phases within that that I think, and that is the first couple of days of season. For some reason, just seems like you can have less of a powerful environmental situation meaning weather, and still have them in daylight. It's a small window, and I just subtly feel like I've noticed it over the years.
Speaker 2: Like first one days of the season maybe, what's that like first three days of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, first three, four or five. You know, it's pretty small that I noticed, and it's a subtle thing. A lot of this stuff is subtle. And then there's another phase I call the boomerang phase, and it's October twenty eighth, and that's where, like all these years they separate like they're doing now or whatever. And within that older age class, they kind of each have their own area that they're marking territory. And then, like clockwork, if you pay attention on the twenty seventh, twenty eight, they're sitting there and they're each doing this, and all of a sudden, this dude goes whoom and he hits his scrapes and woom and he hits his scrapes and it's not that regimented, but it kind of is if you start paying attention to that. And so then by using that concept, if it's October twenty eight, you might say, well, I know this big deer is next door. I know he's hit this scrape in the past. I'm probably gonna go sit here tonight because there's a chance that he boomerangs out of his core and he ends up over here. And that's just one of those things compounding strategy, one of them little layers in the jinga, you know, that help you make educated decisions and eventually probability catches up with you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I know you've talked in the past about wanting to be ahead of the deer, like not not be behind the deer, and reacting to pictures and stuff like that and chasing them around, but rather anticipate the mindset, anticipate the trigger with environmental conditions or whatever, and then be there ahead of them. Can you expand a little on those triggers that you touched a little bit there on the mindset thing in October, but can you elaborate on the other triggers that will allow you to be ahead of the deer. We talked about this last time, so we don't need to do it a super long run, but I want to make sure if someone's listening and they didn't hear that first one, that they get a sense of what environmental factors you're looking for. And then also, the moon is another thing I know you believe in two.
Speaker 3: So I think of it as and again just simplifying it, I think of it as three things that influence a big deer to move in daylight. One is date phase or mindset. That's a constant you can predict that years out. Two is a moon phase. You know. I know there's a lot of debate around it, but I just I can I've seen it, I can feel it. A bunch of guys that are big deer killers, Mark Jury, Lee Lukowsky, Ben Rising, they all feel it. That's another thing that's a constant, that's something that you can predict and watch. And then the third thing is environmental conditions and that's the wild card. Those are the fronts. In my opinion, it's all about high pressure fronts. I'm less concerned about the temperature and it and more concerned about, you know that the power of that high pressure front, which we have videos on our YouTube called magic x Days or something like that, or how to set up your weather app or something, and that just kind of breaks down how I how I look at that. But you know, that's kind of everything else kind of falls in that. Like I've seen some comments, well what about like the rut like and a girlfriend and that, you know that that falls into date phase or mindset, you know. So, And as far as the moon, just so I can like, I don't know anything. My moon thoughts are so simple. It's like I don't know anything about a red moon. I don't know anything about all the charts. All I know is that the rising moon is powerful and when it rises forty five minutes before it, you know, the sunsets on the day before the full moon, it's more powerful. It's a factor that makes it more powerful to see him, and then it flips in the morning, perfect example. And again this is kind of subtle, but if you pay attention, did you see all the big year that got shot in the opening few days of Kentucky and Kansas this year and there was not really any good weather and then it kind of slowed down perfect moon a couple of days leading up to the full moon. So that that's the type of subtle things you pay pay attention to, you know. So this year we're anticipating that full moon around what the fourteenth, thirteenth of October. I've seen so many years where everybody's like, oh October wall and the moon's in the middle of a month like that, and it's fire, you know. And again it's like one of them things where you might choose to hunt on a subpar environmental night because it's in that powerful three day window or four day window leading up to the full and you might kill him because of that, you know. And the day of the fall, Like I feel like over the years, I've I've just noticed that you might not see a ton of deer. You won't see a ton of deer, but man, you might see the biggest one in the woods like last light interesting.
Speaker 2: And so the basically what you're the moon thing that you care about is when the moon is rising or still up at the edges, right, So when the moon's out just before it gets dark, and when it's still up in the daylight the next morning, right. And that usually is happening in the four or five days before the full moon. That's happening in the evening, and then the four or five days after the full moon that's happening in the morning.
Speaker 3: And if you pay attention to it, I just feel like there's always a deer that you're like, there wasn't really great weather and he was out in daylight, and then you go check it gets if you're watching a deer one of those days in the five days leading up in the full moon, he'll generally be out there in daylight and it's on a explainable you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we talked about this last year leading into the year, and you talked about how you know if you've got a target buck that you're on that full moon last year is October twenty eighth, and you said, you know, be ready either those evenings leading up to it or the mornings afterwards. Especially if we get a good cold front hitting around that same time, it's going to be the best week of the whole year. YadA, YadA, YadA. Well, we had a front hit that time, Pier in the Midwest, and my target Buck I had my first close encounter with him the morning of the the morning of the thirtieth, and then got a shot at him the evening of the thirtieth. No, I take the back the first encounter with in the morning of the twenty ninth, and had another encounter with the morning of the thirtieth, got a shot him that evening. So I certainly saw the power of those conditions all coming together myself last year. See what happens this year.
Speaker 3: The real one. So watch for years like this where it's kind of in the middle the month, when people are kind of like not too excited, you know, and it's like, man, these these are these are the knights from here.
Speaker 2: So mindset is what they're doing at certain times of the year. Moon weather conditions, that being the high pressure front and the temperature dropping while cloud covers dropping and barre metric pressures rising. That's your magic xt day. I've heard you talk about all that a lot, and It makes a lot of sense when it comes to predicting when a deer is going to move and making sure you're ahead of him. Something I haven't heard you talk about as much, though, is actual individual deer data or information like annual patterns, like if a deer did something last year, will he do it again this year? Or how much does camera information or observations of deer doing you know, a specific deer doing a thing in past years or this year, how much does that factor into your decision making process when deciding when to strike. I mean, it's it is huge. You hear it all over the place. But yeah, you can take that to the bank. That's some of the best information you can have if you know what he did last year.
Speaker 3: I need to get better about categorizing that stuff in years past from deer that aren't ready to shoot yet. But yeah, it is so powerful, like right to the day, it seems.
Speaker 2: You know. So do you have do you have any process for analyzing that.
Speaker 3: Form of that that I that I can talk about is that I don't see a lot here a lot of people talking about is you probably heard me talk about this too, like building a straight map if I'm on a new property, or I'm scouting in the fall, like I'll or even if I get a property late in the winter, sometimes I'll put cameras all over that farm because those deer will hit scrape super late. I don't know if you've ever watched it, but they'll hit apes into like February, it's March. I mean, it's crazy, and just by learning, Like when I'm on a farm, I'll pin on onyx, I'll pin every scrape I find in every bed I find so that I can look at it and it might not make sense this year, but next year, like it'll it'll just sometimes it's like a light bulb, like, oh, you already got the map. You already got the you know, you got the dots of all the bedding areas to where he's going to go looking, and you've got all the scrapes, and those scrapes are making sense, you know, when he shows up the following year. So I guess that'd be one version of it. But yeah, I mean, I don't know how to deep dive too much in that other than saying absolutely they will do the same thing almost to the day. It seems like, you know, one quick story hunted this place late season saw a big dear got set up, dropped Antler's Christmas day bummed. The next year, it was all corn. I went up there. It was that face face with a monster deer. It was all corn. So I waited late until I knew there were scrapes because the edges weren't mode and it was going to be a nightmare. And that deer was betting like in this little area the year before that winter. And I went up there and I came around the corner and I'm looking for scrapes to put cameras and got a backpack and weed whacker and I come around the corner and I'm like, man, there's got to be a scrape right here. This is kind of where he was coming out, and this point it's all kind of beat down. I come around the corner. Dude, he stood up out of the I mean it was right where I left him the year before in the winter. He stood up and took off out of there, and it looked like a grocery car and on top of his head. I was like, oh my god. So yeah, I mean, they'll uh And that's not really doing the same thing to the date. That's just doing the same thing, But.
Speaker 2: Yes, will you? Will you ever be in a situation where you have your mouse trap laid, everything's set, and you would go hunt him because of that annual pattern, even if those other factors like the moon sucks the mindset maybe maybe it's mid October, so you know, mindset maybe not be the best it could be, and the temperature stuff is not that great. But man, last year he did it. Would you hunt in that situation?
Speaker 3: I'll give you a good example of that one too. I feel like today, these these real world examples are coming out. A couple of years ago, I shot that really wide goofy giant there in Illinois, So I literally kind of took a bunch of you know, stands down stuff and I left one stand in case he showed up. And he was a lot bigger because it was like definitely like right ground zero for this year in in the rout. And anyway, I didn't, I didn't. I had one picture of him, it wasn't a great picture, and I kind of wasn't even hunting him. It was a bad picture. And I had a picture next door on the piece that I accessed through these people gave me permission to come through there, and they had a produce patch back there, and I had a camera on the produce patch they let me put out, and I had kinda I wasn't even really paying too much attention to it. All of a sudden, like November fourth this year, was like standing in the camera and I'm like, wow, I definitely miss unjudged that thing. So the next day we had it was that day we had like fifty mile hour winds or whatever, two seasons ago twenty two, like the fifth or something like that, and I literally just went up there and went right to that stand. I left for that deer in horrible conditions. I mean, it was probably some type of affront coming through, I would assume because of the wind and stuff, but man, it was crazy conditions. Fifty The only reason it happened was because they were all bedded on the north sides in this bedding area of the slope. So I was able to get in there, you know, because they weren't betted where they normally would have been betted, and they were betted right on the backside of a cliff right next to me, and they popped up. But so that would be an example of just like you know, going to where I knew he was the year before, and I literally left a stand for that deer. And it wasn't the most like I mean, I wasn't even really thinking about the deer until the day before when I got the picture and I was like, oh my god, misjudged him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you will. You would look at annual data as being enough to go in after him, even if the conditions aren't aren't perfect.
Speaker 3: Probably probably one of the most powerful things, you know, And I think you still need the conditions to really make it effective. But if you're ultimately you still got a hunt, especially in the rut, like you still got hunt because in the rut or you know, saying the rut is kind of like a very broad thing because of that that means so much. I mean, the whole deer season is the ruck. Even right now we're ramping where this is a phase of the rock, their mindset is they're getting like, the whole thing is the rock. A deer's whole life is the ruck. But you know, so so yeah, you still got to have the weather conditions, you know, to make a move. But when we get into a certain date phase or mindset, you have got to be in there with them, you know, kind of like two things. Two things I could tell somebody to do to up their probability and almost get out of their own way is once November first rolls around, get out of the boxes, get out of the fields, and get in the woods in the cover, because that's where they're gonna spend the highest amount of their time. And the other tip would be, once November first rolls around, stop paying attention to your trail cameras and just hunt and think like a deer. And you know, yeah, the cameras will basically tell you he's a live or he's dead, are he's still around or whatever, But it doesn't even matter if he's not around, because you could somebody could be like, oh, I got a picture him two miles away that evening before, and then you don't go hunt, and then he's all over your farm that morning. So those cameras will do more harm to your mental status when you roll around in November first, and they will do good guaranteed.
Speaker 2: And they do it for me to get a dinno right here too. So that's perfect though, because the next thing I wanted to ask you about was was kind of shifting gears to Okay, we've talked a lot about when to hunt and when not hunt, or when to be conservative versus aggressive. But now let's talk a little bit about where you're actually setting up on this deer and you know, picking those locations. I've heard you discuss this idea of thinking like a deer, always trying to think like a deer when picking a tree stand location or line location. But let's just let's work with the assumption that we're on an undeveloped farm, because anyone listening today in October, you know, it's too late for them to develop their farm because they're hunting right now, so they're stuck with whatever they have. All they can do now is find spots that check the boxes and set up there possibly. So, can you explain a little bit about what you mean when you say thinking like a deer and how does that play into your strategy and picking spots to hunt?
Speaker 3: Yep, in October, their mindset is to mark territory. They're flexing their muscles to the deer population, and they're trying to show off as simple as as I can explain it. You want to get cameras on all the scrapes on your hunting area, especially you know, especially the ones on the field edges around the food, and they're going to tell you the story of what he's doing where he's going to do that. Then you need to find a spot to get set up that as good ingress or egress, and that's kind of I guess I would take the right spot over good Ingress or egress. But the most important thing I could say about your setup in October is those evenings he's gonna move are most likely gonna be westerly, the northwesterly wins, They're gonna be high pressure fronts. So you need to have your setups for those evenings that he's most likely to move, and you need to really pay attention to finding a setup where you're northwest also aligns with a big deep ditch behind you or a hillside or something to pull your air down. I feel like more big deer have escaped death because of the air currents in October than any one thing, because we've all been screwed by him. Just when the sun goes down in October and your highest odds of him coming out the air or just starts doing whatever it wants to do, and you need a big ditch or hole for the thermals to suck down that hole. So so that that'd be my process. Cameras on the scrapes, figure out which one he's hitting, hunt that scrape, but do it in a way that you're hunting with a wester really to the northwest, really, and you have something to pull your thermals down. I did a little real couple of days ago showing the type of spot that I would choose. I would rather be in a stand than a line, and we manufactured blinds itself, and they're sent free for that reason. It's a tool, a deadly tool. I'd rather be in the tree A lot of times. I'll have a tree over the line. I'll have a stand one. I'll be in the stand during the November and the blind during October. But you know, thinking about those air currents and the egress part, like, honestly, in October, you know that you know the days that he's likely to walk, Like there are certain days in October and everything's lined up where I go into the woods and I'm like this because I just I just know that the odds are so high. So that being said, you could have a spot that's bad egress because your risk reward is so high, that the reward is so high on those certain nights in October that it's not like you got to come out of there every day. Now, if you do have the fortune to develop a farm and create perfect egress, it just helps your probability because you're able to haunt every night and not screw things up.
Speaker 2: So in that October timeframe, when you're thinking like a deer, I know one thing a lot of people talk about is is thinking about how a deer wants to use their wind. So you mentioned like, hey, on those really good days for conditions, we're probably going to have the west or northwest wind because that's pushing a front through. That's good for us. It's probably gonna get them on their feet. But with that wind, how do we How does that factor into how you predict what they're gonna do? Do you? Are you one of the guys that things that these deer are almost always going to use the wind or what? No?
Speaker 3: Personally, I have tried. I have tried to make myself believe it for a long time. I've watched it, and I've watched these big deer walk with the wind that they're back in October. It is long now. I don't I don't hunt a lot of like crazy pressure, dear, I don't hunt. I don't hunt a lot of public ground. I don't. That might be a thing. I could see them adapting to that. But the farms that I hunt, where I purposely am trying to keep the pressure off. I don't buy it. Like they're just the deer. They're not gonna do. You know how hard it would be to live your life walking like they'd be. They look like they look like, you know what, like they're out there like you know, a shrimp boat or something. You know. I just don't buy it. I haven't seen it. They don't need to do that. But when November rolls around, it's a whole different story. Now they're hunting, you're hunting them. They're hunting. Does does live in cover? You can't see into cover a lot of the times, depending on the farm. They're using their nose to find a doe. And that's when it becomes really important. So as far as the winds in October, I'm not really concerned with making him walk into the wind or this or that. November completely different story, and you know, and another thing about that in October, I think I hear every year I start getting texts all they're pushing them already, they're bumping, or they're they're chasing already, and it's like they'll send a video and Buck comes out there's a couple of dose over here, and he goes over to him and he lip curls, he rushes them and they go straight to the closest scrape and they leave the field. I think there, you've got to get your head wrapped around the fact that, yeah, there's some does that come in early. I get that, but you're you're hunting probability, you're hunting the mass numbers of what's going on. You know, he's flexing his muscles, he's he's marking his territory. He's grumpy, you know, he's when he stretches his legs on. I mean, I've seen some nights in the end of October where they just put the miles on straight plot through the woods, next straight plot boom. You know. So that's the mindset they're in in October, is their marking territory. They don't need their nose to do that.
Speaker 2: November, they're hunting. Does now walk me through how you're thinking like a deer and using that fact to your advantage when choosing word hunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So uh, it's almost start looking at those betting areas, those spots you know, does bed within his core area as food box or kill plots, they're destinations. The difference is instead of likely he's only going to show up there at last later or the first thing in the morning, he could show up there at any time of day. So you know, think of those betting areas is connect the dots. I've also seen them go on a jaunt on the right day with the right conditions in November where they'll hit every single I mean they're on every camera, it seems like on the whole farm in a matter of ten minutes. I mean it's just crazy. We've all seen that too. So yeah, you just got to think, like a deer, he's going to be checked. Those are the places like you can kill him on food source in October or November. I've done it late in the day and stuff like that, and a lot of times my strategy because to get into some of these places in November it's more invasive. But the way you make it uninvasive and hunt the best time of day to kill the most matured deer in the woods is you wait until the field clears, the field's clear gray daylight eight thirty, You shoot across the field on the bike and you get into a sweet inside corner funnel on the down inside of the cover, and you sit there till two thirty, and then you get back onto your bike and you go shoot over and maybe you do hunt a food plot in the afternoon or whatever. And that's that is like, in my opinion, most matured here in the woods. You are definitely more likely to kill him in the middle of the day between the fifth and the thirteenth than you are in primetime in the morning in the evening. We used to see that back in the day, like when I was just guiding for outfitters, like years and years ago. It was just crazy to me that like the few amount of people like if we had like, you know, one hundred people or whatever in the in the season, the few amount of people that actually hunted all day to the number of deer that were big deer that were killed in the middle, it's crazy, you know. And that's when you're watching odds and probability at work, because you've got so many people out there. Again, you're not gonna see a ton of deer. But man, it's just it's kind of like turkey hunting when when they lose their hens or whatever and they just are so vulnerable in the middle of the day. It's the same deal, man. They just they'll get out and stretch your legs and it's hard to tell. You just got to be there. You got to grind her out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it seems like the core principle there during the rut for you is rather than pinch points and funnels, it's really more downwind of the cover, downwind of those betting plots as you describe them, and that's that's where the buck's going to because lots of times people will set up in the spot where the wind's good for them in the rut, but the deer would never be there because they can't use the wind to send check for dose. You want to be where they're going to be, which is what you just describe, correct.
Speaker 3: I mean, so I prefer to be in a funnel that also is on the down wind side of the cover, and it doesn't necessarily just need to be like a betting area. The whole wood lot is cover, so like, you know, I like to be in a funnel that is also relative to the downwind of cover, or a funnel on that side of the wood lot, because he's most likely not going to be you know, again, he could be anywhere, but probability, you're just stacking odds by by thinking like a deer, you know. And then date phase mindset. When you get into November, there's like so many like like little phases I feel like to happen and it happened to the day, and I kind of try and be out ahead of them. So like I personally think like the biggest, most mature deer in woods can be hardest to kill in the early part of November because they get the as that bell curve a doze comes in, they get the first one and they lock down, and when that she comes out, he goes looking and there's more options. He gets another one and locks down, and a lot of times they become kind of non existent. And I think that's why the mid day is so powerful, because you know, when they lose them, they just you know, they gotta go searching.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: I love that time of year because it's like this wild, you know, the tenth and eleventh or some of the most exciting days. And then you get into like I always look at the fourteenth and fifteenth as lockdown. I kind of generally take that as a couple of days to regain you know, energy and whatever. I'm not rammy, I'm just tired, and so you know, I'll chill out for a couple of days on purpose. Usually not to say that they're not good days, because they can be, but that's my rule. And then from like the sixteenth or seventeenth to the twentieth, I think is the most powerful time of the rut to kill the biggest year in the woods. I call it. So that first phase I call pre lockdown cruise phase, and then lockdown. And then this is why in my own mind called post lockdown cruise fase. That's when I feel like I see the just mega giants. It's when I not that I see him all the time, but the ones I've seen, the ones I see on cameras, the random like giant that you're like, what where did that come from? It's like, you know, that's when that all goes on, because now the belf gurves come off. He's lost of dough and now he has to work for it, and he's had to taste the lion, and lion tastes good, so he's like, you know, fiending, and so that's a very vulnerable stage. That's when you get those deer. They're kind of like almost like zombies, like like you're like, really, he's not acting like a big dear. And I think I think that phase kind of continues on for a long time. I've seen some of them zombie walkers up until December. I just think that you know, here in Illinois, like where I hunt a lot, I think the gun pressure and stuff kind of puts a big squash on some of the natural movement of that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've seen a number of your videos where you have talked about or shown spots like this where you're hunting a situation like some of the stuff you've described. And something I've noticed is that very rarely are any of your stands set up for one reason, Like there's never just one feature, like as we just talked about, like you don't want to be just downwind to the betting or just downwind to the cover. You want the pinch point that also is downwind to the cover. It seems like you've said this, you're always looking for spots where features compound, they like build off of each other. Can you can you just expand on that a little bit when you're choosing spots to hunt. What kinds of spots give you those multiple reasons or those compounding factors that make it a really powerful location? Because I think over the next month, month and a half, there's gonna be a lot of guys and girls walking through the woods trying to say, should I hunt here? Hunt here? And I want to lay out some clear guidelines for what makes a spot like the spot within the spot the best of the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, pay attention to the deer and the cameras, even if they're night because I always say the best way to learn a farm is to learn it through a deer. You know, he'll teach at the farm in October. Compounding would be, like I said, you really want to pay attention to those thermals because it doesn't matter how good the spot is, you're gonna get blown up. And if there's downhill going towards where he's coming from and the winds in your face, you are screwed. Before you start it, and you better hope it comes out early in November. You know, Like we just talked about funnels on the down wind side, you know, thinking like a deer one thing to get more granule on. This is like, I have this thing it says I would rather be in the wrong tree in the right spot then the right tree in the wrong spot. I see so many people and I'll you know, we'll get you know, me and my buddies getting like arguments about the tree stand location. But I just feel like sometimes it is a matter of yards between it being where it needs to be and not. When I'm assessing a spot that I'm going to put a stand, I'm looking around at blowdowns and depressions and all this stuff and sticks that are falling bushes, and I'm like, when he moves through here, how is he going to navigate this stuff? Because it's usually like all these micro funnels within a fifty yard area, that's what they are. And so I'll kind of read the area and then i'll go based on the wind I want to hunt here, and I'll look there and I'll be like, where's the closest tree. A lot of times it'll be I mean, my friends make fun of me because I get some jacked up little stuff and I won't sacrifice being in the wrong tree if it means I got to build a nest uff there or be two feet off whatever, I got to do. So, and then once I picked the tree that I'm going to be in. This is kind of something I think might be unique to my approach. A lot of people are always like, well, I'm hunting this, so I'm going to hang a stand like this. Because I'm right handed, I will always put my back to the least likely spot or the spot, and that's impossible for a deer to be. So sometimes it might be a ditch. Sometimes it might be a big huge blowdown. Sometimes it might be a pond or whatever. I'll always put my back to that, even if I've got to stand up to shoot that way, because it ups my odds because one hundred percent chance I can't shoot that way and I can only shoot from here to here, you know what I mean. So I don't know if that if all that plays into that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about what about what about finding spots where you have you know, you build these situations a lot where I see you build a you know you'll you'll put blowdowns down or wolven wire or something to to funnel deer past a certain thing, and then you'll also have a natural ditch crossing, and then there will also be an inside corner, and then there will also be a scrape tree or something like that. Like, I see you build those things, but I've also seen you find spots like that, And I guess I'm just looking for more ideas for how to find those spots when we can't build them, or do you have any other examples you can share of a found spot like that that'd be worth keying in on or looking for.
Speaker 3: I guess, you know, when I see them, I just it just kind of makes sense. You know, you'll have old fences in the woods with a hole in the fence that's also on an inside corner, there's a ditch. I don't know how you find them, because how to tell you to find them because it you know, every farm is different, but you can see when there's layers of something going on. Like you know, sometimes if you find an old tens in the woods, you just need to walk it until you find the spot that they're crossing. Those are some of the best spots in the world. But yeah, yeah, and then as far as manipulating, like you know, you can manipulate like crazy, like you know, probably that video you're talking about on or YouTube recently where you're looking at the farm and the natural pinches and ditches and this and that, and then you're building this other stuff off of that, you know. So it's like it's where the deer already want to be, and you're just squeezing them even more. And then like an example of this deer I'm helping my friends kill, like I was out there toting deadfalls around to pinch it off, but I was anticipating like that outside corner concentration ascent where he's probably gonna naturally want to come anyway, and I'm just trying to cope them a little bit closer to my setup, which happens to be at the head of the ditch for the So it's almost like sometimes this is another way of saying it, but you're trying to make him come to you, like you're trying to make him do what you want on your terms because it ups your odds so much. But your original question asking how to find those spots.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and I think I think we've covered it in that. You know, I think I said this a second goal I used to even be guilty of when I was first starting this. You know, going down this path, I would find one reason to hunt a spot, and that's set up camp there. It'd be like, hey, this this seems like a betting era. I'm gonna hunt the betting air. And that was enough. And now I'm at a point and it seems like this is something you really prioritize, which is well, I don't want to be just down one of the betting air. I want to be down one of the betting aar at the place where the natural pin pinch is also at the place where I'm within shooting range of this big hubscrape inside the cover, and I've also taken a look in. I've noticed there also happens to be a little dish crossing here that might funnel movement even a little bit better. So it's like the spot within the spot within the spot.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you get into November, sometimes I think reading terrain is more powerful than reading sign, Like, for example, the deer trails might be doing this on the inside corner because all year long the deer are coming to and from the food. So they're making that sign thinking like a deer being out in front that stand you hung on an inside corner. That's for a specific deer or a buck, using it in a completely different way than they use it the entire rest of the year. So sometimes you don't need to pay attention so much to the sign or the trails. You need to anticipate what he's going to walk in that very short window of the deer season, and there's not going to be really enough traffic to ever make a giant deer trail there, you know, so none might have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Another thing that I've heard you bramp a lot is focusing on areas where there's a concentration of scent. Yes, I've heard you talk about that for hunting locations, for camera locations, for a lot of stuff. Can you talk about that a little bit first off, like what kinds of spots would qualify as being concentrators of scent? And then how does that factor into the things that you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's another thing that's not really been talked about for years within the you know, all the hunting industry and stuff. But we say it all the time. When we're on farms, we say concentration of scent. If you pay attention to sign buck sign, you know, you find a cluster of old big rubs from years past, or you find a random straight down in the woods or giant rubs somewhere. If you look around real quick, it's almost always in some type of a concentration of scent, whether it be you know, I mean the reason happens on food plots and food edges is because there's a concentration of scent there, you know. And all that being said, Like the biggest when we talk about it, the most and the biggest you know thing I keen in on it is tree coy locations slash. You know, when you're trying to make a scrape or a deer go to a certain spot, or you've got a green grain in a little section events or something to pinch them, you're creating concentration of scent and you're you're you're you have the green to grain or green to grain or whatever it is. You have the pinch. Then you put a tree coy there. You eliminate scrape branches, natural ones on the edges and all that stuff just starts just pushing the scent more and more and more to that spot, which makes it more and more powerful. You want to see the ultimate example of concentration ofcents, put up a tree coy in the middle of a pasture in Kansas or grass fields out in western Kansas. I mean we put out, you know, tree coys and stuff out there, and then you put a feeder near it and getting more scent. The first year, I thought there was some of our tree coys that weren't gonna survive. I mean they were down to like a one inch it was crazy. And these deer would come from I mean like I had pictures, you know, I'd have like a water tank and a feeder and a tree coin in the rut. These deer would come out there in the middle of the all times a day in the rut. They wouldn't touch the feeder or the water tank. They'd come straight to that, straight, hit it, and begone. So I truly feel like you could just stick poles in the ground out in some of this big open stuff in Kansas and smoke giants out there. It's hilarious. But you know, they're just communicating. And if you think like a deer spends a lot of his time walking around at night and he's walking. He lives with his nose and he's walking around the woods. And October is generally when they're doing the most scraping, because you're thinking, like a deer in their territorial and whatever. They're trying to flex and you're you walk through a pinch at night and you get hit in face with all this scent. You know you're gonna get ramming and you're gonna want to say, this is my this is my house. And so that's why that sign blows up. So we're all the time, me and told Me and stuff walking around the woods, and we're like concentration ascent. It's always, you know, I had a classic example of concentration ascent a few weeks ago. I was up in Wisconsin walking around a farm. Maybe we'll post a little real on that, but it was like a pinch between an inside corner of a field and a neighborhood and there was just all these giant old drugs from the past. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: So those are the kinds of places that you would prioritize for cameras, probably too.
Speaker 3: Definitely the types of places that you try and build mock scrape setups. But yes, cameras because they are generally gonna be a ton of sign there, you know. So as far as hunting strategy, I'd say, it's not like I just hang stand over it because it's a concentration of scent. It's just it's a really good It's a philosophy that teaches you how to build a spot when you're manipulating. Really so, if it's a food plot, you're eliminating great branches, you're having two food sources, you might pinch them with a bunch of blowdowns. You skid in your golf cart like I did the other day, or a woven layor fence, or one strand of our lawyer or whatever. And it's that philosophy that you're concentrating scent and it's becoming more powerful because of it. The other way to manipulate, or think of it is if you are doing some TSI on a south facing little point, you stand there, you let all the light in, You blow this little point up, so it's becomes a betting point, a betting knob that a deer has to use. As No, because maybe it's the thickest chunk patch of the woods, and you have a tree stand that's already pre planned on the down side of it, and then you put a water hole. I love this tactic. It's just a little water hole. He's a pond liner, just a little eight foot hole that that is not trying to make a primary water source, that is literally trying to concentrate scent when he is looking in the rut for a dough. Now, not only do you have the downwind of a betting area, you also have a little water hole that concentrates scent. And then maybe you hang a hamp rope or whatever, because there's going to be a concentration of scent there because of the water. So it's going to be a spot that they want to naturally communicate and scrape. So now all of a sudden, you've taken a terrain feature that they are naturally betting on, and you've compounded it by you thinking like a deer and saying, you know, now we've got a concentration of a major concentration ascent right here, and they're going to go to that to try and find Mahada in the rut. So all last year Bundy killed at one to eighty on it on exact set up down wind, south facing slope, saddle up and over funnel, a natural deer trail. After we logged that, I opened back up to make sure it was still path of least resistance water hole, and that deer was there a few times in the summer, never there up until that point, and just trusted the process. It's within his home range, and when he stretches his legs, he's going to know there's a concentration ascent here. It's downwind of a south facing slope, it's a funnel. He's going to be here. My cousin came out and sat on the sidelines for the first two days because it was warm, and went in there the third day. Hardly saw anything at two thirty in afternoon, first time in daylight the whole year, the whole twenty twenty three walk right down the trail smoked him. So we've got to kind of trust the process and think like a deer. And he knows that area, he's shown that he knows it, he'll be there.
Speaker 2: And I guess it's not too different than when we just talked about a second ago, where you're trying to layer like feature upon feature upon feature. It's the same thing because where there's concentrations of scent, either you create them like you just describe, or in the natural world, the place where the concentration of scent typically exists is where multiple natural features come together, which is what pinches or funnels deer into a concentrated area, which leads to the concentration of sense. I suppose we're almost talking about the same thing here, Yeah, deer.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of an interesting thing to follow from now on. When you're out in the woods and you see clusters of sign just kind of take a look and be like, why is that sign here? Is there something that's congregating deer traffic making a concentration ascent and you'll see it's You'll be like, light bulb. I mean, how it helps you? I guess you know, there's different ways, but like I said, it just it kind of helps you create spots.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned the hemp scrapes, mock scrapes in general. I know, you know in places that you're able to set up You've got a really cool treecoise set up you guys put out there. But do you have any advice for people that are trying to create mock scrapes in season with natural you know, trees. You know, in what situation, which should someone do that, and and how would you best recommend they do that?
Speaker 3: So, uh, I got that kind of series. I got to get back on going with the developed versus undeveloped farm, my undeveloped one. Like I there's a cove that I'm anticipating if this deer shows up, he's probably gonna be using. It's a good setup of the thermals and this and that. I just I clipped all the branches down that had scrapes in the past, and I hung a hemp rope on one that's within bow range. So and I did that to this other big deer of trying to help my buddy skill over here. When I was back there, I went around the edge and I took them all I had. I had a whole ranger full of scrape branches or potential scrape. And some people go going, my god, you're doing that. There's a two hundred steer in there. Well pieces the deer and by taking those other branches when he comes out, you know, he might come out nibble bum Russia dough go to the closest scrape and leave the field. Well, now there's only one scrape that he can do that too, So you know, I'd say mock scrapes are good. They're most powerful when they're in the area they want to scrape, which is a concentration scent. Usually when somebody's like, I put out a mock scrape but they haven't hit it, it's because it's in a spot it's not really like a concentration scent. And sometimes that concentration ascent is because they have no other options, so they're going to go to it and then it's going to start fueling itself. So so yeah, they're powerful. I like the tactic of taking some of their natural ones away.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a good place to kind of tie a bow on things because we've I feel like we've got a pretty good idea of how you're looking at choosing these locations that are the best of the best places. We're looking for those concentrations of sign we're looking for multiple features converging to give a deer multiple reasons to be there on the right days and times, And you have a whole philosophy and how to predict when those right days and times are one final question. I guess two final questions. Here we have the right spot spots. I'm sure we have an idea when the right times are. But I am curious about your approach to like volume of how often you would hunt a spot like this, because let's say, like everything's lined up magic X, past history, mindset, everything's green light, and you have this spot. Let's let's take let's take the example you subscribed this undeveloped lease. You've got. There's a cove in the back where you've got these really cool different features all coming together, kind of a inside corner, dropping off, betting off this point. You've got kind of pins, You've got a logging road the deer should use. There's all these reasons for a deer. Hell yeah, I might sneak over there and sit it myself. Bobby watched out. It's a good looking spot. So everything lines up and you hunt it day one. Let's say he doesn't show. So then my question is do you hunt a day two? Do you hunt a day three? Do you what kind of volume will you apply to these kinds of locations where you really believe in the spot, and you really believe in the conditions, but he just hasn't shown how much is too much? How do you know?
Speaker 3: I think that's somewhat situational. Obviously depends on your egress most importantly, man, If you and again those gifted knights are kind of far and few in between, Like within a front, you're gonna have the best night, the best sit So if it's a very unsafe place to go into and you're busting deer, like you're gonna know when you leave there, like you're gonna have the gut feeling like, oh God, the whole place is blown up when you leave or you get slipped out of there, and you can kind of feel if the type of pressure or damage is he continuing to hit the scrapes at night, like I think you can kind of get The only way to answer that is you've got to kind of be self aware of if you think you're impacting the farm, if he's like all of a sudden not doing the same stuff on on camera, you know, and take it by case for a case. But in October, those good nights, it's not you have to also be self aware enough to be like, it's not worth going back there tonight, Like those high pressure fronts are such high odd sets that if it's a risky business area to go back into, like you don't need to be going back there, you know, like that little spot I was talking about the other day, and the real the type of spot I'd hunt in October in a stand, Like that type of spot. You could hunt that like every night. I mean, that's what makes that spot so magical because you can get out of there. The crazy thing is last year I actually shot the deer a shot last year in that spot, but I was in a box and I had hung this I had blocked the deer off. I hoped I got them not doing a certain thing, int starting to do a certain thing, and I hung a stand and I got feeling was that that stand was going to be wonky because of the winds, and it was so then I brought a box in there to help mitigate that, and I ended up killing that deer. But then this year we got permission to hunt on the neighbors like tree line, and then once I could move the stand a matter of thirty yards, it totally changed my egress, my ingress. I wasn't leaving scent anywhere. Now all of a sudden instead of being thirty yards there and the air slowly finding its way into the little green plot and then there's a fence and then a beanfield into the corner of a beanfield. Now instead of that air falling towards this big sexy bedding area that we created, now I'm thirty yards this way and that air. You know, picture somebody pouring a thing of water onto the topo or the earth, and where that water is going to go and slow mow, and that's where the air is probably going to go. And just by moving thirty yards, I feel like that air now is going to just settle behind and then go around the corner to meet up with the other air. So it went from a situation where you know, probably need to be hunting the right nights, definitely need to be using a sent free blind, to all of a sudden, get hunt pretty much every night that there's a good chance of seeing him. So it's situational. I wish I had all the answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do we all, But that's there are.
Speaker 3: No right and wrong answers. It's kind of like, you know, we got all these strategies and they all work, just not all the time. It's pretty funny. So this is a crazy concept. I have a friend named Jeremy Newsom. He's like, he's one of the best stock traders in the world. He has a company called Real Life Trading and it's an education stock company. And he always says, you know, there's all all these strategies. I truly feel like there's no activity closer to the mental game of deer hunting than stock trading and the like. There's all these strategies. They all work, just not all the time. And you know, the market rewards the specialists and the people that are attentive to detail and the people who are patient and wait on the trade to come to them and not get rammy and not. It's the same thing in deer hunting, the people who wait and are patient and are analytical. You can backtrade the stock market to learn charts, just like you can backtrade the deer hunting history. You know, it's it's a wild thing. And if you really want to have your mind blown, maybe I'll grab a chart and I'll send it to you. You can post overlaying moon phase with the stock market. That will blow your mind.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, it's just kind of an analogy, you know, to it's so the whole thing is so mental, you know, and it's so strategic, and everything works just not all the time, and it's just being aware and situational different situations and making very good educated guesses and not doing crazy things that are not within the plan, you know, Like him with the sock market, he teaches people to have a plan, like a literally a written plan, And I kind of with my deer hunting, I kind of have a regimented thing that I follow, not that it's that tight. It just helps you to stay organized and focused and have a plan so you don't get too in the moment and you know, you continue to think like a deer.
Speaker 2: So so you have a plan, it's it's a starting point, it's a foundation, and then you'll be flexible the season goes on. But if I forced you to call your shot based on your plan and what you anticipate and what you know, will you have set up this year? If I forced you to call your shot and to predict and describe how, when and where you're going to kill a target buck this year in Illinois, tell me that, tell me how you think it's going to play out. If you had to predict how it might happen and where what do you think is your best chance?
Speaker 3: So on that developed farm in that series, I'd say maybe this afternoon I might go mow corn, and I think that at a certain point a certain deer might lock on to that corn, and then within the first couple high pressure fronts, probably make a mistake. If it happens on my lease in that video, that deer that I'm kind of waiting on up there has not showed up yet. Talking about history, I don't even remember that I had cameras out early enough last year for some reason to know like where he was this year. But if he's shows up, I think he's going to be a giant, And I personally think it's gonna happen in one of the first several one of the first several high pressure fronts that he shows up. It's gonna happen in that code where I eliminated the branches and put that straight branch, I overseated the beanfield, so I have all these little food plots that are just hand broadcasted within the beans because that's all I can do. So that deer would probably show up and be hitting that scrape in that corner. And if he shows up later, because I don't know when he would show up. If he shows up, it's probably going to be right across from that cove in that in that great big tree, on that sweet little inside corner. If he shows up a little later and I got to get into hunt in November, I will hunt that spot over and over and over again, every single sit. I won't move as long as the wind is good, and he will come through there eventually, and it's probably one of the deals because it's two hours from my house. I'll drive up there eight thirty, I'll eat bike, drop my bike twenty yards in the tree, I'll get in and I'll sit there all day and then i'll get out.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So I wish I had a deer like just you know, pegged right now, and then I could I could call the shot because I'd be a lot easier. But I'm kind of still in the waiting phase here here. How about this is you are your friends gonna kill that two hundred boy? I wish we were like, Oh, I wish we were like a couple of days further along here, because I feel like I feel like i'd like to think that the watering day was not all for nothing. I think I got it to germinate a week sooner than it would have, which puts the growth a week ahead, which could make the difference in that small phase in the beginning of the year with the green beans and this and that. I think that I can't see him not I mean, he's large.
Speaker 2: Well I can't wait to see I'm sure. Well, maybe maybe you'll be sharing with folks the story if it happens, so hopefully, hopefully we'll get to find out ourselves too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've done documenting it so sweet.
Speaker 2: So that's a perfect way to end this though, for people that want to see that story whenever it comes out, For people that want to see some of these farms you've been talking about, You've got great videos about it. Can you fill folks in on where they can connect with you guys where the videos are. You've got a new project launching soon. Maybe tell people about that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we have a YouTube channel. We're trying to keep it very organically educational. I mean you just go in there and watch stuff and take bits and pieces. We buy and develop a lot of farms and we offer them for sale. We have a pre market list where people can get on there and see these farms. They don't generally hit the market, but they can see them. On the front end. We can design with people to tailor their you know, hunting style and stuff. That's our mainstay. We have a logging division where we log for people heavily weighted on deer strategy and stuff. We have a consulting division where we help people set their farms up. We have Facebook and Instagram. It's kind of funny, like a lot of people build these YouTube channels and stuff. They build them, you know, and and and then they try and figure out what they're going to do with it. Whereas like me and Toby had our heads so focused on buying and developing property for so long, and we kind of stepped away from the hunting industry, like back when the outfitting days and stuff, and then all of a sudden, we're like, oh wow, people like watch our stuff on YouTube. It's kind of weird. So now we're kind of doing it in the reverse order. Now we're trying to start working on the social media, and we kind of accidentally got where we were now, so now we're starting to work on that So the project he's talking about that I'm excited about launching is we are starting a Discord server. So Discord is an app. It was actually originally made for the gaming community, and it's like the most genius thing ever. So my vision of the Whitetail group was always like, it's a group of all of you guys and us helping each other and working together, and that's why I named it the group. But it's also the group of people, like professionals on the back end that provide value and in our situation, it's not just like your hunting strategy because we're so heavily involved in real estate. It's it's you know, in markets and stuff, so it's it's there's there's professionals on the back end. So that's also like a play on the world word of group. So the Discord app, I don't know if you can see this, but it's literally an app you download and it's kind of like a private forum, you know, and there's general conversations. There's an archery there's an archery chat channel where people can help each other with all things archery. There's a there's two video conference rooms in the general area. One is an archery shop where you can literally somebody can go in there and get on a video conference instantly and help each other set your bows up or you know, work on your shooting form. There's a follow my Blood Trail, like somebody might be on a blood trail and they aren't super experienced and they watch some guys that are more experienced, and fifteen people instantly can be in there like helping you look at the blood and figure out its instant video conference and helping you make decisions. Or you can just take people on your blood trail virtually live. And then you know, there's all kinds of stuff in here. There's there's our farms pre market, you know, and fully developed. There's a whole section of how to videos like planting Braskas, planning that you know this and that, and each one is like a quick start guide, uh, just organized in one place. How to process dear, how to set up a weather apple hanging in a tree stand. Then there's a section called market analysis, which is really cool, like for example, like commodities. So I have a friend who's a twenty year corn and bean trader, and he's going to be in here giving real time updates and analysis on the corn and bean markets and teaching people about basis and futures and contracts and how all that works. And there's professional contacts for banking and real estate attorneys, insurance surveying, land management services, title companies, farmers by county in different states. There's farms off market, Like I know of farm sometimes that are off market. I don't buy, but it's a really good farm, but it's it doesn't fit what I buy. Or there's a listed farm on the market that's been sitting there and I'm like, why is the way buying this? Like this is I know the neighborhood. I know, Like I knew of a farm a few weeks ago they had a two hundred on it that was for sale. Like so there's special farms that we might throw in there. And then there's going to be like there's downloadable farming leases and hunting leases that are blank, Like we've tailored our farming leases over the years, you know, to be hunting friendly and buy your crops back the right way so it's most affordable. There's going to be courses in there eventually, like rec ground bookkeeping, like how to set my CFO is going to do a course on bookkeeping for ret ground and how to set up quick books and categorize everything correctly, how to buy your first farm. And this is so easy to like, if somebody is like, you need a channel for this boom, we'll have it. If somebody wants a course for this boom, will have it. Some of that, like very little bit of it, but like those courses might be monetized because I got these people's time to build the courses and it's just a one time download to download it. And then the last part like I have this and you know, it's kind of weird to try and promote myself, But there's a Bobby Kendle Deer Season subscription and in the categories of that are and this might be backwards, I don't know how you can see it, but the categories are date based, mindset, moon phase, whether plan your time off by predicting the season. And this is kind kind of like a real time section that somebody can subscribe to and then we can just chat throughout the whole deer season, all this stuff we talked about today about you know, thinking and making changes, Like I feel like if I can take somebody along in real time through the deer season and they can ride the deer season together. I think it will help like solidify and it's so it is a community that is moderated. I've got lots of people in there that are you know, I feel like our professionals and stuff that I've met over the years to help with different things. And there's gonna be no drama. There's gonna be no or you're out of there. So it's just gonna be a nice friendly like deer hunting for fraternity, for us to all hang out and help on another and grow as hunters and land managers.
Speaker 2: So how do people get that? Get in that? For the folks who aren't Discord savvy already, can you give us like the how they find that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so easy. So basically, you'll just go to our website in the whitetail group dot com and right on the homepage, you'll see a Discord icon and you can click that and it'll bring up a link and that link will basically take you right to the app. You'll download the app and it'll ask you to set up a user name, and then as soon as you do that, the bot will welcome you into the whitetail group and then you're in there.
Speaker 2: It's pretty wild, nice and easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's super easy. And if anybody like some of the stuff isn't populated yet, but I got to get going at some point at deer season. If anybody has any thoughts or or things they want to add or whatever, I mean, we can add things eventually. Like I want to have a whole section of conversation by region, So like the Adirondacks of New York where I'm from, those guys can't relate to a lot of stuff we do, but they can relate to each other. And it's all the white tailed group, Like you know, the guys in in Alabama who's rout is lee, I want them to have a place to discuss, and the guys in in you know, northern Michigan, like everybody should have a place in there, and we should have all the common threads. But then we should have areas to help each other and everything. So I think it's gonna be really cool.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, I'm I'm signed up. I'm on there. I'll be following along and and and shiming in when I can, So I'm looking forward to it as well. And you know, this has been great. I knew it would be. I appreciate you sharing all this, Bobby. As I mentioned on the top, I've I uh, your approach resonates with me. I appreciate your analytical take on this stuff and looking forward to putting in an action here pretty soon. Awesome, good luck, Thanks Bobby, you too, and I look forward to hearing about this two hundred that you're living vicariously through and uh and hopefully you're shot coming together on that giant on the undeveloped lease or or somewhere else soon.
Speaker 3: So that's the thing about it, you know again, And I don't I don't get too. I mean, even if the one doesn't show up this season, Hunt, he'll show up next year. It's all probability he'll be there.
Speaker 2: All right. Well we'll talk about next time.
Speaker 3: Thanks man.
Speaker 2: All right, and that's it for me today, folks. Appreciate you all joining. Hope you enjoyed this one. Like I mentioned at the top, make sure you heading over to themeateater dot com or first let dot com to check out all of our Whitetailweek content and the savings. Definitely please go watch those new films on the media or YouTube channel. I'm proud of my return to the back forty and the hunt for the Wide nine. I hope you guys enjoyed this list too, so until next time, appreciate you being here, and stay wired to hunt.