Speaker 1: Well, we are back for some more wrestling extravaganzas is extravaganzas. That is that appropriate to extrava extravaganzas extravaganzi.
Speaker 2: Extra.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: We are here at the Intuit Dome for WWE RAW in Los Angeles. Very exciting. I am thrilled about the interviews that we are doing today. We're going to do two episodes with two interviews each.
Speaker 4: So are so four episode? I'm doing the math four episodes, two interviews each.
Speaker 1: That's good. Okay, Wow you when did you learn too? Plus two? Uh?
Speaker 3: When I was this many? Okay, so I was pretty happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty good. What are are you? Are you? Are you going to the show tonight? Are going to row?
Speaker 3: I am not going tonight. I know you're going this evening.
Speaker 1: Are you bringing the childre? You're bringing the.
Speaker 3: Children to go this evening.
Speaker 4: I was not able to join you this evening, but we are here, bright and early to interview the wrestlers, which I'm very exciting.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like a six am interview.
Speaker 4: It's a six am in it when they're like all on too, they're like ready to go.
Speaker 1: All beautiful and in full wardrobe and.
Speaker 3: They've got to do this all day and then they're going to wrestle tonight.
Speaker 1: I know, honestly, it's crazy. I'm lazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I napped halfway through one of the interviews and it was a great interview, but it was a very, very a little catnap.
Speaker 3: I found my new wrestling crush.
Speaker 1: Oh today, I know you did mention. I can't wait to tell her that.
Speaker 3: Are you going to tell her that?
Speaker 1: I just can't tell her.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just whatever I will do.
Speaker 1: You want to tell the people who you love.
Speaker 3: No, I love my wife, but I have a bit of a wrestling crush.
Speaker 1: Okay, who's your wrestling Okay, you're not going to say, We're just gonna have to We're just gonna have to.
Speaker 3: You have to guess. You're gonna have to guess who it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, welcome everybody to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fischel.
Speaker 3: And I'm Wilford Ell.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's that's right. Rider bailed yet again yet again.
Speaker 1: He's on the road. Look at that, as you can.
Speaker 4: Always he's always good, conveniently on the road whenever we do anything with wrestling.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the true.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't his jam.
Speaker 1: I know, I did. I did think, like I need to start thinking, like, yeah, I'd go out of town for three months every summer and just drive around. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They just drive around in a van.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they get out of the van and they walk very far distances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to to to like do nothing.
Speaker 1: No, no, there's water there sometimes sometimes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's very it's very strange, and they eat at place it's I don't understand.
Speaker 1: It doesn't like tacos. I don't get it. It is like tacos either. I know. Oh boy, well we miss him? Sound we do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: Well, we hope you enjoy this first episodisode. Our first interview is with the one and only Ethan Paige. Yeah, did you love him?
Speaker 2: He was so cool.
Speaker 3: He was so funny, really funny too.
Speaker 1: He like he like insulted me but also revered me. You know, he was like a little afraid of me. It was I kind of felt like the perfect amount of fear. I want you.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 4: It was great and he was he was just super funny and kind of took over the interview, which I love when that happens, so I do too.
Speaker 1: Well, after Ethan, you will also get to hear from Soul Ruka. Very excited for that, so enjoy this episode special side quest on Podmets World. Not since Nickelback has something from Canada been so divisive. Since his start in the business exactly twenty years ago, he has collected championships like we have a Masked podcast. Some highlights on the tag team side include titles at Impact, Triple A, Evolve, and my personal favorite p WG. More on that later. And now somehow he is just hitting his prime in the WWE, where he's held the NXT title and was the longest reigning North American champion of all time. He's made quite a name in this business, even if my four year old only calls him the guy who points to his brain. We're so happy to welcome to pod Meats World, all Ego, Ethan Page, Hello there, you seem really bummed about this reference.
Speaker 3: It was a Nickelback that three.
Speaker 6: I think, Well, it only threw me because I was offended that there's it's divisive.
Speaker 1: Divisive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nickleback is divisive.
Speaker 6: Oh of course are you kidding? Really unanimously loved I believe. Okay, so I.
Speaker 3: Now you remind me that you don't know about Nickelback.
Speaker 6: No, I know, I know all about Nickleback. That was a journey that you just took me on, and this just started. I sent the longest email just trying to find out why I was even booked for this podcast.
Speaker 3: And do most of our guests.
Speaker 6: I was like, I instantly regretted sending that email because I was like, Wow, the amount of detail put into this introduction. I felt very good about myself, and you wrapped it up with a terrible beau at the end and just threw it back in my face.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the hell like that?
Speaker 6: That was a very journalistic approach with comedic timing. I'm confused.
Speaker 3: I'm welcome to Podgy.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect way to describe it.
Speaker 3: I wanted you to.
Speaker 1: Feel like we were playing pin the tail, you know, I spinning you around, spinning you around, and then now you're dizzy.
Speaker 2: I'm dizzy, Okay, Yeah, I'm busy.
Speaker 6: I'm confused. Yeah, I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think again.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Thanks for.
Speaker 1: Having me, thank you for doing here. It is. It has been a big twenty twenty six for Ethan Page your big Raw debut, the post WrestleMania episode. You have been doing this for quite a long time. Do you still get nervous for the big moments?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, I think so. I think so, well, not the performance, okay, for like what it means to me as the performer, Okay, if that makes sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean you mentioned that I'm in my prime, but I'm like not physically in my prime. So I'm very happy to get these kind of opportunities at this age in my life.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you weren't the way you said it.
Speaker 4: You set it up as maybe you had not yet hit your physical prime. What you're actually saying is your physical prime was was was behind you?
Speaker 6: I will say, if I'm going up against father time, Yeah, my physical prime was a little while ago, but my prime as a performer is probably about to come.
Speaker 2: Oh if that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, Yeah, totally I get that. Okay, yeah, yeah, why does Canada still have don't.
Speaker 6: Ask questions like they're going to be nice? But for some reason, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Have you not met Danielle?
Speaker 2: Just the way you sound, I'm like, is this coming out good or bad?
Speaker 6: Anyway? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, but we don't known till the end either, clearly.
Speaker 1: All right, why does Canada still have such a pro wrestling pipeline? What is it? Is it the cold weather since like gyms are always hot to work?
Speaker 6: No, you know what it is, And I think that I'm gonna ignore that. I think that it's all kind of I guess performance or arts. As far as Canada goes, we're like the black smudge on a map of entertainment. Like people don't pay attention to what's happening there. They don't take it serious. Any of our shows, our movies, our athletes, our entertainers, they're all looked at as like Canada. Oh that's how I'm perceiving That's how I perceive it.
Speaker 3: As you don't watch de Grasse and then go to a Nickelback concert.
Speaker 6: Listen, don't ever talk trash about Nicol.
Speaker 2: They broke out. Okay, That's why I'm not letting you guys.
Speaker 3: Is it Nickelback the band that married Avril Levine? I have no, I'm pretty sure. Yeah she's Canadian, That's what I'm saying. Yes, some forty one married Averl Levine's.
Speaker 6: You know more Canadian history than me. I love Canada you know more than that. So but as far as entertainment wise, to actually get out of Canada is very hard. So you say pipeline, I say, you only get our best because of how hard it is to actually get the paperwork that documents the visas, the permit, whatever you have to cross the border to become a legal entertainer here. It's very, very hard. So it's not so much a pipeline as much as like we're the ones that scratched and clawed hard enough to make it. So, yeah, of course you're only going to get our best, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you were a kid growing up, is this all like? Were you just watching wrestling the whole time and this is kind of all you wanted to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I didn't really culturally to become a wrestler. For me with my family was like you want to do what? Absolutely not. Our family didn't move from Yugoslavia to Canada for this for you to go do that. But everyone's very supportive and happy now. But yeah, all my life I wanted to at least entertain people or be in front of a camera.
Speaker 1: Well, you're definitely entertaining. You have your all ego personality, a heel in every sense of the word. Do you ever see Cody Rhodes kissing a baby and feel a little left out.
Speaker 3: Like I want to be the Like No, great question, great question.
Speaker 2: Now I know where you were going, like that.
Speaker 1: Left out from what looked out from being beloved, like people love me? Okay, people love Nickelback. It's true, it's true your understanding, we're finally on the same Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, if you choose to focus on the negative, huh, it'll always be there, right, Yeah, whatever you're looking for, you'll find.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it fun to play that kind of character?
Speaker 6: Well, I just live my life.
Speaker 1: No character, really you or are there some influences?
Speaker 6: I don't even think I'm like really that bad of a person. Oh listen, Obviously violence is violence, and you know things are perceived a certain way, like it's very bad. I'm a father. I don't raise my kids like that. But I think that people don't like me because I tell the truth and I kind of shine a light on things that people would choose to ignore. If that makes me a bad person, then.
Speaker 4: So really you're just showing the mirror up to them to where they just don't like themselves.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of like who I am is just pointing out who you are.
Speaker 1: You're a mirror.
Speaker 6: Yeah, except I'd rather look at myself.
Speaker 3: Like it. I like it nice.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you have kids. I also have children. Will hear it?
Speaker 6: I know you already threw me under the bus with your kids. Yeah, well points out his brain. Actually, can we address this?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it, because I didn't want It's actually not an insult. We do. He loves to do intros and promos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not going to talk to trash about your kid. I'm gonna talk to you. He can do adults.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, love it.
Speaker 6: Children, Fine, children. You're allowed to make mistakes. You're in a growing phase of your life, and mistakes are gonna come, and they're gonna go, and they're gonna come back again, and it's gonna suck. And it's okay to make mistakes. But if you're forty two years old and paid hundreds of dollars to sit in the front row, and you don't know that, I'm pointing at my smile.
Speaker 2: The song sings kill him with uh not brain?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Not brain?
Speaker 1: Not brain?
Speaker 6: What's your kid's name?
Speaker 1: Keaton?
Speaker 6: Keaton? This is not for you. You have been fully forgiven.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cut that part. I'm gonna just send this to him and be like.
Speaker 6: Mess crap.
Speaker 2: Filming. You're going home and making Keaton some mac and cheese.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, Keaton, this is directly for you.
Speaker 2: Keaton. You're fine.
Speaker 6: Is fine. You can keep having your ray mysterial doll, beat up your Ethan page doll, live your life. It's the forty two year olds in the front road that think I'm pointing at my brain. The next time you point to your brain, use it to remind yourself that I'm pointing to my smile.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. Yes, why did you start pointing at your brain?
Speaker 1: Have you ever done career day for your kids?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So no, my daughter loved the fact that I came to her school. Yeah, but then she hated the fact that I gave all the attention to the other kids. So then she tried to she wanted to the attention back. Yes, so there's two things that happen. One, she had her hand up. Obviously, I'm not going to pick my daughter first. You know, I'm there special guests gotta you know, don't want the audience. Of course, yeah, I'm the teacher. Obviously she needs her attention to so she asked me, you know, can you give us something that'll be cool to see. I say, yeah, I was just on TV with The Rock. We should watch that. Forgetting that this is a second grade class in the Rock slapped me on the ass and swore, oh, so now the entire class saw that. Yep. So now I'm sweating profusely.
Speaker 1: The school is ready to throw you out.
Speaker 2: They loved it, okay.
Speaker 6: But then my daughter decided to tell a story about because they were like, oh, you know, do you ever get hurt wrestling? And I'm like, yeah, you know, it's very dangerous what we do. My daughter's hands been up for like five minutes at this point. I just go, yes, go ahead. She's like, well, you said, you know, sometimes you get hurt, sometimes you don't. But what happened to that one time that you suplex mommy on the bed and her hair clip broke?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, whoa, what what what are you telling the class here?
Speaker 6: There's none of this well playful banter at the house.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, now the teacher thinks I'm violent.
Speaker 1: Yes, breaking mommy's hair clips.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyways, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I have a history with seeing Ethan Page wrestle I was a PWG frequenter, like physically there, physically there, multiple Yes. A true life highlight for me, honestly is being able to see everything that went down in that gross little legion hall.
Speaker 2: Why for you?
Speaker 3: It really is they talk about all the time, like seriously all the time.
Speaker 6: Is the best?
Speaker 2: Okay, what about it?
Speaker 1: It was where I fell in love with wrestling again. So I've been you know, like a lot of people, I've had an in and out love relationship with wrestling over the years. And when my husband and I started dating and he said, you like wrestling, I have a place for you, and he took me to p WG.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you previously liked wrestling?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, like what like WWE?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, okay. And then your husband was like, well, I got to take you to this place.
Speaker 1: Yes, He's like, oh, you've been to RAW and you've been to WrestleMania, but you've never been to p WG. We're going to go to p WG. And I just was like, this is the greatest thing ever. I looking around everybody knowing every chance, everybody knowing all the moves, the sweaty sock smellure.
Speaker 6: Of beer as a cup, yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly, the sweaty bodies just shoved up next to each other. I loved everything about it cool and it fully got me back hooked into wrestling. But why do you think PWG is so was so special? Like, how do you think it influenced or do you think it influenced WWE at all?
Speaker 6: I think it influenced I guess the wrestlers who ended up becoming influential in the bigger companies, for sure. But I think it's it's just like we all choose the cool places. I guess, like the wrestlers do because we're all willing to either make the deal to do it, or it's the crowd is worth it, or the buzz is worth it, or we know that the spotlight's big enough to actually make the trip. So I think I got paid like forty dollars to do these shows she's talking about. But like, if you do the math, there's maybe two hundred three hundred people physically in that tiny, disgusting, overheated building, but whatever we filmed would end up across the world, and this was like the tapes for wrestling that people were trying to watch. So I just think it was like, as long as the talent is collectively in agreeance that like this is what you need to watch, Yeah, it'll always be the place. Yeah, and that was PDBG for sure.
Speaker 1: That was Yeah, it's just so great. What are some of your highlights from me, Recita, Like, do you have any moments that stand out to you looking back? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Sophia Vergara was there and I pulled my butt out.
Speaker 1: Was O there that night. I feel like we were there with Sophia Bergara.
Speaker 6: Now, Okay, maybe I don't know why I remember that because there's a picture of it, but I think that. And then Aranda came one time and she was rousing in the front row and it was maybe like a tag tournament or something like that, and I just remember the buzz of the audience was just like, oh, this is weird, like anyone can kind of show up right. I don't know. For me, it was just getting to wrestle a lot of the wrestlers that I watched and the opportunity to mix it up with people that I knew were getting a lot of eyes and attention. It's like being an opening act for a nickelback, you know.
Speaker 3: Sure, I do.
Speaker 4: Have you ever wrestled to a place where you're starting, You're in there and you're like this, this was a mistake.
Speaker 6: I mean I've signed contracts like that, you know what. I never after during yes, but afterwards there's always like a store or a lesson to learn or something like my go to any time, especially coming to WWE with NXT, there's so many athletes that never did anything before coming here, and I love telling them that I did an entire tournament for a father and son because that's the only tickets that's sold.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 6: Yes, there were two people there, yeah, a father, his son and one hundred empty brown chairs. And I wrestled in the tournament all the way to the finals. So that's three matches.
Speaker 1: Wow my god.
Speaker 6: Wow, and I think I got paid like two dollars. It's a toney in Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that of course, not to be a mistaken for Aloni, Yeah, yeah, correct.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You mentioned NXT. It has a community feeling similar to the salad days of p WG. You were both an NXT.
Speaker 6: What does that mean? Salad days.
Speaker 1: You know everyone, No, it means like the high the highlights, like the best days, the days that the peak days.
Speaker 2: I'm old, and why is so revered like that.
Speaker 1: I don't I didn't make it. I didn't make this phrase.
Speaker 6: You don't love salad.
Speaker 1: I love salad. I'm not currently because we could all have a parasite.
Speaker 6: I heard about that.
Speaker 1: We're avoiding lettuce currently.
Speaker 3: I'm eating as much of it as I can because I want to see what happens.
Speaker 6: It's a good diet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, I think you can order a tapeworm online.
Speaker 3: I think can you really? Uh yeah, yeah yeah. The stomach flew away from my ideal weight. It's always the way it is.
Speaker 6: Wait, hold on, that's a real phrase.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, that's a real phrase. You can feel free to use it later.
Speaker 6: I'm going to look it up. First.
Speaker 3: We're going to google wear salad day. I guarantee you right now.
Speaker 6: Why do they like salad so much?
Speaker 3: Back the yield salad days?
Speaker 6: Thank exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to derail.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I'm just so confused.
Speaker 1: You know, when when I wrote it, I thought this is going to stop the entire interview. This is the moment where he just gets up and.
Speaker 3: These are the salad days of this.
Speaker 2: So you were.
Speaker 1: Both an NXT champ and the longest reigning North American champion. Even someone like you who has had decades of experience in the ring, Why is NXT important in your journey?
Speaker 6: It was very important. The WWE is such a different beast in comparison to anywhere that I've worked before, as far as like locker room, company wise, visibility wise, global impact. So I'm very happy that I had two years there to kind of understand how the ww operates and to learn like how much bigger the audience is. And now I'm getting reintroduced to so many new fans. I'm very happy that I got to kind of start there. I guess yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm always so so curious who was your favorite wrestler growing up?
Speaker 3: The Rock always from from the jump.
Speaker 6: No, So when I was like a little kid, the macho man Randy Savage was my favorite. Then Razormone was like the coolest wrestler ever to me, but also because my dad thought he was cool, so I was like, okay, well I like him too, And then once I started picking my own favorites, the Rock was on the list for sure, like top of the list.
Speaker 4: So wait, so your dad was a wrestling fan too, but you saying you want to be a wrestler was still like, well, you're not going to be a wrestler.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So it's a little culturally confusing here because you've got families that moved from like the Balkans or Yugoslav former Yugoslavia to Canada. So then my grandfather just worked his butt off. And then my father was trying his best to become a football player professionally, and so I guess he tried out and I think was accepted by the Hamilton Tiger Cats, the CFL team, and his father was like, oh, absolutely not, Like you need to just get a job and work because that's what we do. So he was always I guess, dreams crushed and now here I am hanging out with you guys right before Monday Night Raw. The complete opposite. So it's not that they weren't supportive, they were just I guess they didn't get to chase what they wanted to do, So it's weird to like they were definitely like, go ahead, do it, give it a shot, but they were skeptical and scared the whole time. It just was not culturally accepted.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, do they love it now though, of course? Yeah. I mean living vicariously through you a little.
Speaker 6: Bit, right. I mean their son is hanging up at Target exactly, or in you know, Keaton's toybet or correct or.
Speaker 1: At our house. Many times, I was a big fan of your work with another Canadian import and friend of the show, Chelsea Greenooh okay, love Chelsea so much. Tell me about that chemistry. Why did it work so well?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I don't know. Well, here's the thing. Chelsea works with anybody. I know, I work with anybody. Then you put us together and it's like, oh, two people that are willing to make anything work are now working together. It was just magic and both of us brought something every time. It was never just one sided, and I think that's why it worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's a little like real, like real relationships where people say, well it's fifty to fifty, it's like, no, no, it should be one hundred, one.
Speaker 6: Hundred, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, like if you're only bringing your fifty percent, but also sometimes you're sometimes one person may have to do one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they didn't have that conversation where it's like I can give you sixty percent today, it's like, all right, I got you touch, I can do one for Yeah, I can do that.
Speaker 6: And we had tag matches like that, we had promos like that, we had show days like that. Yeah, and we were at least honest with each other like, hey, I'm feeling this today, I'm feeling this today. So she was amazing to work with, Like, absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: How what how often do you wrestle that injured is different but hurt?
Speaker 3: I mean is it most most of the time?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah all the time?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: My shoulder hurts a little bit, and I'm like, I it was hard for me to wake up this morning.
Speaker 4: It's like I have a little bit of all These are the salad days of her shoulders.
Speaker 5: Thank you these?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, we have Summer Slam next weekend. And you did come up short to Chad Gable for challenging Kenta for the Intercontinental Championship. Now we all know that.
Speaker 6: Didn't you actually watch that or are you just reading a piece of paper because if you're going to bring it up, I'm redial. All right, thank you? For being honest if you're going to bring it up, huh.
Speaker 1: Is it a hurtful moment for you? Yeah?
Speaker 6: We got this podcast for you, go do media and promote Summer Slam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine, Okay, I mean that that. That was my question was does missing out on these opportunities still bum you out? Or is it just the nature of the trade, because like we all now know the inner workings of it thanks to Unreal, but like before Unreal, I don't know that anybody necessarily knew how it all worked. But so is it actually painful for you you won't be at SummerSlam or are you just like it's just the way the cookie crumbles something?
Speaker 6: So look, I wish I could be honest. I wish I could have been honest this entire interview. I've just been lying this whole time. But when it comes to this, I think for me, yes, I'm very upset that I missed the opportunity, but the WW and TKO won't allow me to have the time to do that because I'll be available for photo ops and me in greets the entire Summer Slam weekend and doing you know, appearances like this, and they've kept me very busy, so I will not be allotted the freedom to think.
Speaker 1: I feel that. Yeah, I'm also in a period of my life where I'm not allowed to think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're all happy for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, Yeah, because when you have time to think, that's when bad things happen. Yeah, you're a little too free. Yeah, and you need to be booked up a little bit more.
Speaker 3: When you've got time to think.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I told you that's.
Speaker 3: What he's doing.
Speaker 1: That point, that's why it points think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to career.
Speaker 1: Aren't you glad you said yes to this?
Speaker 6: Guys, this is a little too early and my ww career for them to be changing my branding on a popular podcast. Okay, this is not good synergy.
Speaker 1: Finally, I do want to do a little rap Finally, you're you're You're almost you're almost free.
Speaker 2: One thing.
Speaker 1: You want to read?
Speaker 5: More?
Speaker 3: Do you want me to read?
Speaker 4: Hey, Danielle, what's next?
Speaker 1: I want to do a little rapid fire. I want to find the sweet side of ethan page.
Speaker 6: Well, as long as we're talking about delicious desserts, you'll find it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to list a few people, and you have to come up with the best thing about them. You have to praise them, even if it is the hardest thing you've ever done.
Speaker 8: Okay, after this podcast, nothing you say will be the hardest thing. Chad Gable, Oh ugly you said nice, he's the ugliest person you've ever seen. He's number one and ugly.
Speaker 6: No he's not. I've seen some of these Luca guys without their masks. It's got a great tan great. Uh, he'd make a great birthday clown.
Speaker 2: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Von Evans.
Speaker 6: Mm hm. Oh you know what, since he started putting those grills in, I haven't heard a single thing he said. And that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: American, Oh ah, something positive about El Grande. He's got very nice Spanish accent.
Speaker 1: And Cody Rhodes.
Speaker 3: We broke, we broke broke his brain.
Speaker 6: Great at kissing kids, he's.
Speaker 1: Great a kissing babies. Okay, finally, how about will here?
Speaker 6: Oh you are the best brain pointer ever score. Yes, I'll take it yourself.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm definitely not saying I don't. I'm going to skip right over it. Ethan. It was so great talking to you. Thank you, thank you so much, so fun.
Speaker 3: No problem, we love you.
Speaker 1: I will shame Keaton, No, I get home today.
Speaker 4: Yeah you do, not shame keeping the timeouts for exactly you know what your room to your room?
Speaker 1: How are you know?
Speaker 6: This is how you make lifelong fans. Okay, okay, you're saying, oh, don't you want to be beloved? Yes, I'm trying to manipulate the youth.
Speaker 7: I got it smart. Okay, get a long term playing a long time smart correct kind of like how you guys got me to do this podcast. Yeah, I TG if I could not say no.
Speaker 1: It's a manipulation tactic.
Speaker 6: And now imagine my mom sent me to my room because it's something you said. I wouldn't have been a fan. I would have hated the show then, and I said, no, I'm not doing this podcast.
Speaker 1: Not doing that makes sense, makes sense. We are big fans.
Speaker 3: Good, thank you, thank you, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Well you know those people who peek in one sport and then just one day decide to peak again in a completely different sport, Well, today we are interviewing one of those respectfully athletic freaks. She was a prodigy gymnast, performing backsprings in front walkovers like some sort of olympian, and then one day looked around and said, you know, but this sport is missing steel chairs. From there, she has dominated NXT, becoming an undeniable fan favorite, and now she is the WWE Women's Intercontinental Champion, which she took off Becky Lynch in Italy just weeks into her first stint on the main roster. Oh part of an impressive class of emerging young superstars breaking through. As some of our veteran favorites call it a day, she's ready to carry the torch and bring a whole new level of athleticism to the women's division. Now on Pod Meets World, it's the best thing to ever come from Ska soul Ruca.
Speaker 5: I love that. That was perfect. Yeah, that was spot on.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for spending time with us. I live in a soul Ruka household.
Speaker 5: Oh I love that. I love to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yes for having me. We're happy you're here. I joked about it in the intro. But your dad is a founding member of the legendary ska and reggae band The Skeletons and was in Fishbone Entertainment is obviously in your DNA and he played the Apollo Red Rocks outside Lands. They opened for no doubt, Sublime, Incubus, the list goes on and on. So what did he say when you told him, Dad, I want to be a wrestler.
Speaker 5: I mean both my parents were stoked.
Speaker 9: I think like right before I told my mom that I had a try out, my mom was out to dinner with her mom and my brother and it was on the TV. My mom was like, oh, she'd be so good at that. And then like a few days later, I was like, hey, I have a tryout. Yeah. They've always been super supportive and like, like you said, my dad's always been in entertainment, so he kind of knew what I was like getting myself into.
Speaker 5: But he was really really excited for me.
Speaker 1: That's so great. It's not often you hear that from you know. We've interviewed to quite a few wrestlers at this point, and most of the time they're like they were supportive, but also.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of them we've met.
Speaker 4: It's also it's such a departure from everything else in their family. Whereas you grew up in an entertainment family, so it's entertainment, so it's kind of like, Okay, you want to entertain a huge crowd.
Speaker 3: I get that I guess a little more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is this something even when you were a gymnast that you were like to be professional wrestling.
Speaker 5: No, not at all.
Speaker 9: I was not a fan. I never like was exposed to it growing up. Like now looking back, I wish I was, because if I did see it, I probably would have been like, this is what I want to do, right.
Speaker 5: But I had some kids that I babysat for a bit. They had like all the.
Speaker 9: Action figures, they had all the rings, and they would like try the moves on each other, and I was just like making sure they're staying safe. So that was like the extent of my experience with wrestling. And then I got a DM from their recruiting page on Instagram and they asked if I want to do a tryout and I was like, at first I thought it was UFC and I was like, I don't know how to fight, yeah, and I rather not, but did my research and I was like, wait, this is like sick, like I would love to do this. So except to the tryout, and my mentality was just like if I get it, hell yeahf no, it's a cool story to tell everyone. So I flew out to Orlando at the Performance Center, did the the tryout, and then a few days later got the call and moved from Hawaii to Orlando within like a few months and been here ever since.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we have talked a lot about the Performance Center Live Morgan, uh, talk to us about what that's like. What was your experience like when you entered the Performance Center having not grown up watching wrestling. Were you were there like some massive surprises?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was just like it was just like a whole new world, you know, like I was going from the University of Oregon to here or to the Performance Center, which is like a bit different with just like how everything's run and like the uh like the team aspect. It was like there, but it's also like a bit different, so a lot of characters, and I was like used to that, you know, I'm so used to just being an athlete and being so like serious all the time, and then coming into the PC and everyone's like super bubbly and like has all these personalities and this like whole storyline and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: So that was a bit like different, But it.
Speaker 9: Was really cool because I've never had that kind of like creative like output and within my like athleticism and my like character and stuff. So I think that was like the biggest thing for me. But it was, Yeah, it was really cool. The Performance Center is absolutely amazing. I mean, wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.
Speaker 3: So I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
Speaker 4: So you're you're an athlete, you're a gymnast, and you just open Instagram one day and there's just a random DM to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 9: I mean once I graduated, I moved to Hawaii and I was doing online personal training and I was doing like social media influencing at the time. So my social media was just me doing flips and tricks on the beach because I kind of missed just being an athlete and that's like what I grew up doing, so I kind of wanted to see where that would take me. And so I think they saw one of my videos and then from there they were like, wow, yeah, we want you, and I was like, cool, let's do it.
Speaker 3: That's crazy to me. Your whole life change is one DM.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 1: We'll still hoping it's going to happen for him, right.
Speaker 4: I don't have any social media, which makes it harder I'm waiting for an actual letter to arrive at my house.
Speaker 3: Right happening a lot.
Speaker 1: We want you in the ww A lot less. Yeah, I want to ask you one more question about your dad's music too. Because you grew up around so much amazing music, you must have gone to some incredible shows. Can you tell me about like a show you went to that was just blow my mind?
Speaker 9: So he played at Coachella when I was in high school, so it was that was really cool. Like he got artist passes for me and my friend, so we were like backstage and like just meeting so many really cool people. And I think that was like one of the best experiences that I've had. Some of the people you met I met like Tyler creator Andre three thousand. Shoot, there were so many people I've met, some like influencer like David Doe, Bricky like that. Yeah, it was really really cool. I met Rihanna well kind of she like brushed past me, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh my god, I met.
Speaker 5: Her, but I didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: I was so nervous still you were you were millimeters away. That's why it.
Speaker 4: Makes you pretty popular in high school when you can say all your friends like my dad's playing Coachella.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go, I mean that's got to be artists. Do you want to go hang out at Coachella?
Speaker 6: That's pretty great.
Speaker 1: Your background, as we mentioned, was in gymnastics, acrobatics, tumbling, and you competed at the University of Oregon. Did you ever contemplate joining Circasla.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 9: Actually I thought like I wanted to get into something like that or stunt doubling before I went went to the PC, But I didn't really know how to get into that kind of world, especially being in Hawaii, like a lot of it is like on the mainland or like in you know, La or you know, there's a lot of stuff in Orlando as well. But I did actually do a cirk Disila like event thing within WW. We were like in NXC and they brought some of us to cirk Disila where they were like training because they had to show out there and it.
Speaker 5: Was really really cool.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 5: I definitely think maybe one day I'll I'll dabble in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that feels like something that should be on your manifestation or yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: How does the workout regiment for high level gymnastics compare with the workout regiment for being a wrestler.
Speaker 5: It's like the same but different.
Speaker 9: I mean, like in gymnastics training from I was like twenty five hours a week from the age of six all the way up until I went to college. But wrestling is just so different from any other sport, Like you really have to listen to your body and just like stay safe in terms of like working out on the outside, just because it is so demanding. I think I learned that the hard way, like I form a ACL and I think it was because I was just doing so much, because I was still trying to like do powerlifting and do acrobatics on the side, and then also wrestling and also being on the shows and traveling, and it was just like too much. So I think that's like the biggest thing is that it's so different that you really have to take into account how your body's actually feeling. But in terms of like the schedule, like it is pretty much the same, Like we are traveling, we're working out all the time, we're like in the ring all the time. Yeah, it's just a bit more mindful.
Speaker 3: Does your gymnastics mind lend itself to where you want to like create brand new moves in the room.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, Yeah, that's like all I think about all the time, like trying to think of like different ways I can do things, or even taking like you know, like normal wrestling moves and like trying to make it a little bit different or like get into it a different way or just make it a little bit more me.
Speaker 5: So that definitely shout out to gymnastics for that.
Speaker 1: You mentioned your torn acl which you tore rather early in your career, and it has a notoriously long and difficult rehab. What did you learn about yourself during that process?
Speaker 9: I mean, I definitely learned to listen to my body a bit more, and I also learned that I can almost like gaslight myself into being okay. Like I was really really scared at first and being like, you know, I don't know if I'm ever gonna be the same when I come back. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to do the move sets that I still do. But and I was like really scared because I've never had a serious injury. I've never been under the knife before, so it was really terrifying. But once I started the rehab, I was like, I'm just gonna tell myself I'm fine, Like I'm just gonna tell myself that I'm gonna return even better.
Speaker 5: Than I first was here.
Speaker 9: So I think just that mentality, I kind of just like forced myself like almost like manifested it to be true, because I definitely think I returned way better than I left.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and then in your final NXT appearance against Zaria, you went through a table from a very high ledge, and I for one, held my breath for about three minutes. In the end, you needed eight staples in your head, and then again you healed and came back stronger than ever. So I I guess my next question is are you Wolverine?
Speaker 6: I mean, are you.
Speaker 1: I've never seen you in the same place.
Speaker 10: I'm not allowed to talk about that because that would be awesome. The next question, okay, next, okay to ask with the stuff. Now, I know we the one thing so Daniel's brought me into the world of wrestling. I'm still learning as of getting there.
Speaker 4: But one thing that I've I've we're learning is there's a very big difference between fake and choreographed. Choreographed is it's the amazing athleticism when you do something even though it's choreographed, like going through a table, how much does that hurt? We have a lot of adrenaline, so so you don't feel it when it first happened.
Speaker 5: No, I mean when.
Speaker 9: Especially when I went through the table, I had no idea that my head was split open.
Speaker 5: I was just I landed and I was like sweet, like I made it.
Speaker 9: I was like I wanted to hit both tables, but I ended up under one of them, so I was a bit confused. But I was just sitting there waiting for us to you know, get off off of Live and uh, medical came out.
Speaker 5: They're like are okay. I'm like yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 9: They're asking me like what day is it? Where are you like making sure that? Like I was all good to go. I like had my hand over my head just because I knew how it looked, so I just wanted to, you know, make it, sell it, Yeah, sell it.
Speaker 5: So I had my hand there. I went to sit up and.
Speaker 9: They're like, don't move and I was like okay, and I look at my hand and it's like covered in blood and I was.
Speaker 5: Like, oh, that's not what I thought happened. I mean, I yeah, I was fine.
Speaker 9: Even afterwards, Like I was, it was just a freak accident, you know, I think I just hit it at the perfect angle.
Speaker 3: But so did you feel it the next day?
Speaker 5: Honestly no, Like I was fine, superficial head.
Speaker 1: Would you know it needs eight stitches? I mean eight staples?
Speaker 3: You're telling you the wolverine question. I'm still now starting to think she's an ex man.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, well, we can see how your acrobatics background has helped your wrestling and made you have your own you know, pov on things. How does it does it in any way? Does it hold you back? Does it hurt you or hinder you in any way?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I know I wouldn't say it hurt or hinder, but I do think I can sometimes overcomplicate things or like try to do too much just because I'm trying to be so different. So I do think that. I don't know if that necessarily hinders me, but I do. I have noticed that a few times. I'm like, I need to just like chill out for a second, and like it's okay to not have every single movie something like no one's ever seen before.
Speaker 1: Right, the straight line between A and B is okay? Here it doesn't exact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you get the The other thing that's interesting is it's such a like any It's like no other sport I've ever seen before, because there's such a balance between athleticism and performance.
Speaker 3: So you obviously had the athleticism coming in.
Speaker 4: Did you have any trouble kind of getting into the I need a character, I need to act, I need to be in front of the cameras.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, was that just a whole new world for me?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was I think like the hardest thing for me. And I feel like I'm still like trying to get used to that and trying to like really find myself, especially because I've only been doing this for like for almost five years and I was out for nine months. But yeah, that was definitely like the hardest thing. Like again, athletics, you're supposed to be serious, you're supposed to you show up, they give you a uniform, they tell you have to do this this, and then I have to say this, you have to you know, give you your like move set in a way.
Speaker 5: So when I got here, they're like, oh, like what's your character, Like what do you want to be? And I was like, no, one's ever asked me that before. I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 9: Really like the first like day of the tryout, we have a promost like seg at the end uh. And the trial I was at was a mix of indie workers and athletes. So the indie workers went and they had this whole persona.
Speaker 5: They were all had this.
Speaker 9: Like get up and everything and like had a whole story and it was like really cool.
Speaker 5: They had like a punchline at the end.
Speaker 9: And then like I remember, I went up and a bunch of the US athletes went up like, Hey, my name is this. I went to this school. These are my accolades, and that's all I got. And after that, I was like, I'm not getting the job. There's no way.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you just binge wrestling? After that?
Speaker 9: Since yeah, yeah, I still feel like I'm so far behind, but I am trying my best.
Speaker 5: It's there's so much You.
Speaker 1: Have admitted that you are a below average surfer, So how did that kind of end up being your aesthetic?
Speaker 9: People just like assumed I guess like as soon as I walked in, they were just like I think people knew I was like living in Hawaii at the time, Souburn was just like, oh, you're the girl from Hawaii, like surfer and like even growing up, just like because I'm from California originally, I've always loved the beach and I try and be at the beach as much as I can. But I think just the way I like look, people just assumed that I was a surfer and I was just like yeah, Like I remember at the PC, I think someone told me like, yeah, you have like a unique look.
Speaker 5: You should just keep that. You should just keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, cool, Yeah, So many people first learned to view from your finisher. The soul snatcher, a gravity defying move from the top rope that often goes viral. Where did that come from?
Speaker 9: So it's similar to a move I did in gymnastics.
Speaker 5: It was a it's called a straddle back.
Speaker 9: It's on the uneven bars, so essentially it's like a reverse gainer in a way, so instead of moving forward and flipping backwards, you're moving backwards and flipping forwards.
Speaker 5: So on the bar, I would like swing.
Speaker 9: Forward, swing back, and then like let go of the bar and then catch the low bar in a handstand. So now I'm just catching a human instead of the bar, so yeah, that's kind of where it came from.
Speaker 1: The first time you tried it catching a human. Yeah, was it terrifying? Did it go as planned?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a bit scary. But we have like a squishy ring at the PC, so it's like the floor of the ring is like a bed. So I was able to like practice a few times make sure that I could, you know, flip all the way through because I am used toill landing on my hands or on my feet, so like landing on my back was a bit different for me. But yeah, once I had someone like step in, it was just more so just getting used to my spatial awareness and being able to like look at where the person is. But yeah, once I was able to kind of get my bearings on that, it was relatively easy.
Speaker 4: Now, how strange question, but you so once you know you can do it, how important then is the partner you have to work with to make sure that they're doing exactly what they need to do.
Speaker 5: So well, yeah, I mean it is definitely important.
Speaker 9: When I was thinking of a move for my finish, I wanted something to be like easy for another person to take, you know. I didn't want to have something where I have to lift someone up, because you know, sometimes you're in the ring for like thirty minutes and you get really, really tired and blown up towards the end. So I was trying to think of something that was easy for someone to take and something that I didn't have to worry about someone being way bigger than me or really smaller than me. So essentially, I feel like I've never taken it, but I try to make it as simple as possible, like as long as they're just there and their like neck is available.
Speaker 5: Like I can hit it.
Speaker 4: So I wondered, that's going to be something if somebody tries it on you at some point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, I'm a little worried about that. I know Becky attempted it in our match and I was like, girl, you're.
Speaker 1: Crazy, no way. Now on raw, you are surrounded by some of the best women to ever step foot in a ring. What is the best piece of advice you've gotten? And from home?
Speaker 9: Oh, you say men and women are just the way I just talked about the women on this one. I mean, I've learned just so much from Bailey, not necessarily anything like that she said, but she's just made it a lot easier for me to.
Speaker 5: Come up here and just like feel welcomed, Like.
Speaker 9: She's just like she's such a good locker room with leader, and she's just honestly like my favorite.
Speaker 1: She is so sweet. We love Bailey. Yeah, we's big Bailey fans. Being that you brought it up. What about some of the men, the male wrestlers, have you gotten any advice from them? And from whom?
Speaker 9: So not necessarily a wrestler, but I've been talking to Paul Hayman recently and he's been helping me a lot with like promos, and uh, a few weeks ago, I was supposed to have a like stylized backstage just talking about my reign and just like introducing myself to the Raw universe, the w universe. And so I also last minute got added to a main event match. So I was planning that, and I didn't have any like Burbridge or any idea of what this like promo segment was supposed to be about. And then I received a envelope and I was told not to open it. It was like my verb for the backstage, and I wasn't allowed to open it until I talked to Paul Hayman and I was like okay.
Speaker 5: But I also had to like go get ready and like all this stuff.
Speaker 9: So then I finally like made my way over there and he's like, okay, like open it. And it was just a blank piece of paper and he was like, so what can you do with the blank piece of paper?
Speaker 5: I was like, put anything you want on it.
Speaker 9: He's like exactly, He's like, you need to like separate yourself from like the verbiage and from the character and just like you know more so just like feel it and just like kind of just embody the character a little bit more.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I've been working on that a little bit. But yeah, he's been helping me a lot with just like stepping out of my comfort zone because I do feel like I kind of like just not fit myself into a box. But I kind of take it easy a little bit. I'm just not used to being so like out there. So I'm just kind of like working on that and he's been He's been a lot of help.
Speaker 1: Who better to help you with that, Paul Ham? I mean no, I don't know that there's anybody better at a promo. Yeah, and that look, if it's not him winging it, he certainly makes it look like he's winging it. Yeah, it feels it's just very from the heart. Who do you look forward to facing the most? I, for one, am very excited about an eventual Soul Ruka and Rhea Ripley match. That is a dream. So who are you looking forward to?
Speaker 9: So? EO Sky was like my dream match for a very long time, and I luckily was able to have a match with her.
Speaker 5: I would love to have many more.
Speaker 9: I would love to have a triple threat with her and Ria. Oh yeah, But as far as right now, I think my next ideal match would be against Charlotte Flair.
Speaker 5: Who's her and I have had quite a.
Speaker 9: Few multiperson matches, but we've never been in the ring face to face, So I think I would would love to get in the ring with her. That would be pretty great.
Speaker 4: Okay, now that you've started to binge wrestling, who's your favorite wrestler?
Speaker 5: Guy? Love her? She's incredible.
Speaker 3: About that.
Speaker 1: Her athleticism is something else. So I want to paint a WrestleMania picture. Okay, you enter as champ and you're played out by your and the skeleton. Yes, I know they recently made a track. She'll snatch your soul inspired by you. Do you think you can manifest this?
Speaker 5: I would love to. Yeah, that is like, yeah, that is my goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, goal dream, another thing to add to your manifestation board. Now you are still in your first year on the main roster, already with a title. What is the next goal for you?
Speaker 9: I mean, I just want to be involved in like everything I want to be, you know, in all the like ladder matches and all the crazy like stipulation matches, Like I love that kind of stuff. So and it's just it's kind of hard to have like tangible goals here just because like things change so fast and so frequently. Like obviously I want to main event WrestleMania, Obviously I want all the titles. But I think for me, I just want to do as much as possible within my career.
Speaker 1: It's so great too, because you're at such a perfect position to say I want to try that. Now, let me try that. Like even just hearing you talk about working on on you know, cutting promos with Paul, you can taste every side of the business and find all of your strengths and then play to those strengths.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's like the one really really cool thing about wrestling is like if you're you know, not good at this thing in the ring, we can work around it, and we can figure out like what your strengths are and play into that and like and then make magic.
Speaker 5: It's really really cool.
Speaker 4: You're talking about ladder matches and all this stuff. Is there anything out there in the world that's that scares you in the wrestling world, Like, is there one You're like, I don't want to do that one.
Speaker 9: I mean, I feel like when we're thinking about ladder matches or when we're like practicing going up ladders and stuff, that's terrifying. But like once I'm in the match, like it's good time and I'm not thinking about anything other than what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. I feel like that has to be what it is. Because if you think about like anything we're doing with a show, if there's any sort of fear before once the audience is there and once it's nothing's gonna stop you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get, I mean, I guess, but then there's certain visceral fears, Like I have a fear of heights, so like a ladder, like the idea, I guess I would. I can see just like, no, you're just doing it because we've rehearsed it, we've done it.
Speaker 3: But I wonder if I would be able to conquer that fear, because I'd be like, I want to get up on a ladder that right now.
Speaker 1: I mean hearing her talk about the way she felt after tearing her a c L that that for me would be very difficult to have an injury that you get in the ring and then to spend a long time rehabbing and recovering from it, and then you're like, all right, they've all said I'm ready to do it again. Yeah, but what if you know like that? That would be hard for me.
Speaker 3: I get that too. But if you don't do it, you don't get the belt.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: Look incredible.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here. We are big fans, really excited to watch you and see where your career continues to go.
Speaker 5: Thank you, guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've gone merch.
Speaker 3: And we're starting the Merch Bomb tonight.
Speaker 1: Podmeets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, except for writer pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com