Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with all States savings. Very terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Welcome in What's Drave with Nick Wright, Episode one forty six after an insane day in the NBA Playoffs, movie the NFL Draft, and i'd apologies for those of you watching us live on YouTube. Hopefully you're able to watch us live on YouTube right now. We had some slight technical difficulties, but we have too big of a show to let that derail us. Here is what did not make the cut for today's show. Not on today's show is the great news, however, that John Meetchi is returning to the field. The Texans draft pick last year, Cincinnati picking up Joe Burrow's option, Washington, in my opinion, shockingly declining Chase Young's option. I understand he has dealt with significant injuries. This was the number two overall pick, the defensive rookie of the year. To turn down his option is shocking to me, and Kawhi Leonard is not shocking. It is wildly unfortunate tears his meniscus. However, none of that is the lead. Not. Last night in the NBA Playoffs involved the Warriors showing they are still the champs, the Lakers falling flat bing Bong, the Knicks dispatching of the Cavs in five. However, we can't lead with any of those stories because DIORA one of the most shocking first round upsets and one of the most shocking consecutive fourth quarters I've ever seen from a title favorite happened. Let's get right into it. DIORA where we're start.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the Bucks are out? Yeah, for the second game in a row playoff, Jimmy dragged the Heat back from the dead. It's the first time a number one seed is lost to a play and team. Was this more legacy solidifying for Jimmy Butler or legacy damning for Giannis?
Speaker 3: All Right, Jimmy Butler in this series was almost as good as any player has ever been in any series. I know that sounds crazy, but when you consider the fact that the Heat were one of the lowest scoring teams in basketball in the regular season, they lost their second best scorer for the series in the first game of this series. They lost Victor Oladipo in the fourth game of this series, or the third or fourth game of this series. They were playing the number one seed with the previously unanimously accepted best player alive, and Jimmy Butler averaged thirty eight, six and five on sixty percent from the field and forty four percent from three. It's unprecedented that Jimmy Butler in these last two I'll just give you his numbers in each of the five games against the one seed Bucks, who were double digit favorites last night and minus twelve hundred favorites for the series. Game one, thirty five and eleven, win Game two, twenty five points in a loss, and then in the three straight wins, thirty points in Game three. Then Giannis comes back. The Bucks are on the brink. The Bucks are up twelve points midway through the fourth quarter of Game four, Jimmy fifty six and nine and last night forty two to eight. The Heat were down sixteen in the fourth. He dragged them back. He forced overtime with a buzzer beater. He played forty six minutes. That is ninety eight points in consecutive playoff games, the second most NBA history to Michael Jordan's ninety nine points in the ninety three postseason. Jimmy Butler took this team to the finals three years ago, last year Game seven Easter Ramics Finals, and now is upset the Bucks. All credit to Jimmy. He is a dominant playoff performer. He is a superstar. He is without question, one of the top ten, top maybe top eight guys you would want for a postseason run. Now to the bigger story, which is the Bucks. This is not legacy defining for Giannis, but it goes on the resume. You were the one seed you lost in round one in five and we'll talk big picture stuff with Giannis in a moment. But this game last night, the Heat deserves credit, Spoe deserves credit. Jimmy obviously deserves credit. Also, I cannot remember in sports a time where a coach in real time panicked and froze more than we saw Mike Budenholtz last night. So some context on the end of that game. The Bucks are up two right now, actually, let me back up a little, well, they're up one. There's a They almost turn the ball over, probably should have been a turnover. They call a foul on Kyle Lowry, the heat challenge gets overturned jump ball, the Bucks win the tip, and then Giannis, my guy who struggled mightily from the free throw line last night, ten of thirty and twenty three thirteen misses, was so nervous about shooting free throws, he tried to throw the ball away again. That then led to Drew Holiday save or Chris Middleton save. Drew Holliday gets it. Drew Holiday goes one of two from the line. The Heat drop a brilliant play, Butler catches it, tosses it in while falling backwards. It's now a tie game. There was half a second left and the Bucks had a time out. If you call time out, you get to advance the ball to half court instead. Bud just stood there. They inbound the ball. They don't even get a shot off. That's a disaster. It can't happen. There is no reason not to call time out there other than you were panicked. But the problem even with the panic is you have to know in the huddle before the Heat have their final possession, if they score, we are calling time out. He must have thought if they score, there won't be enough time, so be it. It's still impossibly bad. Then at the end of the game, you don't get a shot off and your season ends with the ball in Grayson Allen's hands, Grayson Allen with him not taking a shot once again. There the Bucks had two timeouts could have drawn something up. If you want to let them run and transition, so be it. But once you see the play has devolved to the point that Grayson Allen has the ball, with your season on the line, you must call time out. I would not be surprised if Bud gets fired for this. I know he won a championship two years ago. Nick Nurse won a championship three years ago. He was let go this week. Frank Vogel won a championship. Well hold on, so I guess Nick Nurse won a championship four years ago. He was fired this week. Frank Bogel won a championship three years ago. He was fired before the season. Bud won a championship two years ago. It in tough times, man, tough times now on Yiannis and the legacy stuff I have been saying, and I think smart people agree that it is not a debate who the best player in the world is. It's Yannis, dominant defensive player, unstoppable offensive force. And it has always irritated me when people are like, h, he can't shoot, because who gives it If he can't shoot? When he's that effective, super efficient, no one can stop him from getting to the basket, and last night he damned near out of forty and twenty, so it's hard to lay it all at his feet. However, last night and in this series, his inability to create a shot and his free throw woes, which we saw him go seventeen of nineteen in a finals game to win the title and score fifty. His free throw woes were so bad in this series that for the first time, his inability to shoot really cost them. And so we've got to wait and see how the rest of these playoffs finish out. And I obviously don't believe the Warriors are gonna win the title, but if they do, I think Steph Curry gets to claim I'm the best player in the world. That wasn't no super team last year they won the title. If they win it again with Giannis in two straight years going out in second round and row one, I think step might get the throne. If the Nuggets win the title, Jokic maybe as a claim. I it is the point I am making is Giannis didn't have to win the title in order to keep best player alive as undeniably his but going out in round one in five blowing back to back double digit fourth quarter leads against an eight seeded Heat team that lost one playing game to the Hawks and damn near lost a second playing game to the Bulls. Yikes, man, that's a tough one. I love the guy. And now everyone saw about his postgame comments. Do you or what's our question there?
Speaker 4: So what do you think about his comments about failure after the game.
Speaker 3: So he was asked by Eric name nem name, I'm not sure, do you consider the sea a failure? And he gave a very long, interesting answer, and he seemed very frustrated with the question, and he's One of the things he said was Michael Jordan played fifteen years, won six titles. Were nine of those year's failures. And he said, basically, he is a great guy. I love Giannis and he seemed genuine in earnest. Also, this season, by any fair definition, was a failure. Not It's not as reductive as there's thirty teams. One team wins the title, twenty nine teams don't. Twenty nine teams failed. That's not what I'm saying. There are different levels of success or failure. So I would argue, let's take the Dallas Mavericks. Last year, the Mavericks did not win the title. They made it to the Western Conference finals. Last year was a massive success for them, even though they didn't win the title. They overachieved someone. They went on a deep playoff run. This year they didn't even make the playoffs. It's an unmitigated failure the the A four Lakers made it all the way to the finals and then got routed in the finals. I think that season for them, it was the last year of Shaq and Kobe together. They had brought him alone, they had brought in Bayton. They put all their eggs in that basket. For them, it was championship or bust. Anything short of a championship for that team would have been a failure. Last year Celtics made it to the finals, lost massive successful season. There's nuances to this. There is no nuance to this. You are the Vegas favorite, you are the number one seed. You have Theore, the best player in the world. He is back for Game four, You are up double digits in the fourth quarter, You lose. He is back for Game five at home. You are up sixteen in the fourth quarter, You lose. That is a failure. If I said I want there's gonna be a there's gonna be a vote taken best sports talk show in the world. I want first things first to win it. And in the first round of the voting, I get routed by somebody's cable access stream show. That's a failure. So this I and there's a lot of athletes coming to Giannis's defense. I don't again. Giannis is a great dude, one of my favorite players ever, and I understand what he's saying in theory everything. Every result this season that could have ended with them not winning the title would not have been by definition of failure. Right If they make the conference finals and Joe el Embiid the year he wins MVP, goes crazy and they knock out the Bucks and he's just better, I don't know that I'd call that failure. Disappointing, fell short of your hopes, but not a failure. Losing in round one as a one seed. I'm gonna do this off the top of my head. But the only one seeds to lose to eight seeds. The ninety four Nuggets beat the Sonics in a best of five. The ninety nine Knicks beat the Heat and the Strike Year lockout Yere in a best of five, the I know that we believe Warriors beat the Mavericks in O seven. I know the Grizzlies beat the Spurs in ten or eleven. The Bulls lost as a one seed in a year that Derek Rose blew out his knee, and I'm leaving one or two out. But it's only happened like seven or eight times. It is a failure. It doesn't mean you're a failure as a person, as a basketballyer's anything. Your season was a failure, and it is this to me, just sidebar before we get to the other stuff. This to me is where at times social media can turn into diora a bit of like group think what Dan Levittard would call captain easystance. So this reporter says, was your season of failure? Jannis gives a thoughtful answer, and everyone the balls start rolling downhill on that reporters a clown. Jannis is the greatest, and everyone starts kind of parroting the same opinion. When I think privately, anyone that's a sports fan says, hey, would you consider this Bucks season when they were you had to if you bet one hundred dollars on the Bucks to win this series? You would have won seven dollars. That's how big of a favorite they were. And they lost in five to a Miami Heat team that lost Tyler Hero in Game one? Would you consider that a failure? Everyone would say yes, of course. So I I love Yiannis. Go ahead, nothing, no speak on it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, you really can't talk about the Bucks for an hour?
Speaker 3: Huh oh, yeah, that's true. I said, all, my ge.
Speaker 4: You spent the entire the entire time a talking about the Bucks.
Speaker 3: Is it one of the crazies if you guys don't know what you were referring to. She heard me do my conference call for First Things First today and we were talking about what's going to be in the show because there's so much to discuss, and I said, I could talk about this Bucks game for six hours. I mean there's things we haven't even gotten to. But uh yeah, I mean it's a historic upset, and Gianni's comments were interesting and Jimmy Butler's unbelievable and it was I mean it was it was out of this world, all right. And also I don't want to talk that much about the Lakers, so I kind of fill a buster.
Speaker 4: Next on TV. You said that the keys to the keys to the Lakers winning were a big a D game and a triple J and Triple J getting in foul trouble. Yeah, check jack, Well both happened.
Speaker 3: I also said, and Dylan Brooks taking a bunch of threes, and yeah, mood, that happened too.
Speaker 4: And the Lakers still lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did got blown out.
Speaker 4: Could it be because Lebron was shooting at Russell Westbrook levels? Does that to mean no?
Speaker 3: I mean, well, just go ahead finish your second question.
Speaker 4: What I meant to say is was it because he was shooting at Dylan brook levels? From three?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: What's he shooting three over twenty eight from three over the last four games?
Speaker 3: Three of twenty eight from three? It's not good.
Speaker 4: It's like, so, are you worried yet about your Lakers and your precious Lebron King?
Speaker 3: Okay, not worried they're gonna win Game six? Worry, not worried at all. Not scared they're gonna win Game six at home. However, Athony Davis was excellent. Triple J did get in foul trouble, Dylan Brooks did try to shoot the grizl did lose, and it was because Lebron was awful, No way around it, Lebro, You're entitled to a bad game.
Speaker 4: Lebron went like seven, anybody else does it. No, so this isn't a failure.
Speaker 3: Oh no, if they lose the series, if they end up blowing a three to one lead, that would be a failure. Now it's weird because they're the seventh seed and the Grizzlies are the two seed, so it's kind of the inverse of what had happened before. But they were up three to one. But no, you're not teams don't sweep other good teams in the playoffs. You're going to lose games. And everyone is entitled to bad playoff games. Lebron spoiled us because he went about seven years without a truly bad playoff game. Look it up twenty twelve to twenty eighteen. Someone find me the truly bad playoff game Lebron played. It just didn't happen, but he did last night. He was bad and he is. He's not the only reason they lost, but they can't win with him playing that way. He knows that he said it after the game. I'm not afraid to say that. I do believe Eve at home in Game six. He'll be excellent. But this was one of the worst elimination games, close out games I should say Lebron has ever played. He and by the way, his shot right now is unspeakably bad. Three of twenty eight from three is horrifying, and it just is what it is like. If he's three of twenty eight in the last four, that means in the series he's six of thirty six. It's one over six. So he's shooting seventeen percent from three in the series. He's shooting eleven percent over the last four games. Shots got a fall, and he's gotta be better. But the Lakers are not gonna lose at home in Game six, and I'm not worried about the series. I do think something that hurt the Lakers yesterday was Dylan Brooks getting in foul trouble and therefore having to come out of the game. The best thing the Lakers have going for him is Dylan Brooks playing for the Grizzlies.
Speaker 4: Furthermore, uh, what.
Speaker 3: The well now, you made me lose my thought. But the the other element of last night that was so frustrating is the Lakers played terribly in the first half but were only down nine. And then in the third quarter three times cut the lead to one, had a chance to take the lead, couldn't do it. And then the Grizzlies go on a nineteen to two run to in the third quarter and in the game, just in the game there. So I'm not worried about the Lakers. But that's a terrible law. I mean, it's a terrible Lebron performance. The Grizzlies were desperate, they were at home, they were favorites for a reason. But ad was good enough to win and they didn't win. Good thing. But do you are you know what that means? Damn good, damn good thing. Furthermore, uh that Lebron saved their ass and gain formaan the game, win the game.
Speaker 4: TI in Live, you're blushing.
Speaker 3: Next.
Speaker 4: Furthermore, we all know you love the Kings and picked them against the Warriors, and I warned you that this take what in age? Well, I believe that we talked about you being wrong about the Warriors before.
Speaker 3: Yeah we did.
Speaker 4: The Warriors went into Sacramento and won and now have control of the series. Do you think the beam is done being lit this year?
Speaker 3: List in the King the Kings stop it let me give the answer. The Kings are in a rough spot. They needed yesterday's game. There's no denying my guy. Dearon Fox, I know, Wilds and Brew on TV were like, Nick, you're overreacting to the finger injury. He's gonna be fine. He was nine of twenty five from the field. He was three of ten from three. He started the game out well. He then, as is likely to happen, reaggravated the finger and wasn't as good. It obviously hampered him. The Warriors won because They're big three were exceptional. Steph was great, Clay was very good, and as much as it pains me, Draymond was out of this world. Man as one of the best Draymond game games Draymond's played in a couple of years. And now the Kings have to go to San Francisco to win Game six. They do that, they'll win the series. They're not gonna lose Game seven in Sacramento. And I still believe in the Kings, but that was a crushing loss. There's just no way around it. That Warriors third quarter got him, and it is a crushing loss. And now you look bat Harrison Barnes, by the way, still seems, you know, a little like there was a bit of a hangover from that missing Game four And Kevin Herder has to get going for this team. Flatley has to get going. Kevin Herder shooting twenty from three in this series is not going to get it done. And luckily, if the Warriors do win the series and I'm wrong, the Lakers will be able to take care of them in Round two. But my heart deer might not survive that series. Can you realize a steph Lebron Warriors Lakers in round two of the playoffs? What that would mean for my health and well being? Also, I am going to be in Sacramento for what would be Game seven of Round two, and I yesterday was already looking at tickets for Kings Lakers in Sacramento seven. Wrong.
Speaker 4: What'd you say you'd never expect to be wrong?
Speaker 3: I didn't think i'd be wrong. You're right. That's why everybody says that to me. They're like, Nick, you argue like you don't. You don't think there's any chance of you being wrong? Why would I think I'm going Why would anyone ever argue something that they think is going to be wrong. I've never understood that about people. They're like, you argue in such a way, like you're not even considering the possibility that you're wrong. Of course not. That's why I'm arguing the point because I believe it. I think the Kings are better. But the Warriors are up three to two, and now the King's gotta wins. It's not great. There's no way around it. I'm not gonna pretend. I'm not gonna pretend that everything's all smiles and rainbows. It's not great right now. It's just not next Okay.
Speaker 4: So furthermore, the Knicks are back, too bad. Every single New York's hoops fan hates you, every single one of them. First Rogers comes to the Jets, and now the Knicks won their first series in a decade. As a Knicks hater and a Lucas super fan, how tough is it to see Jalen Brunson become a real star?
Speaker 3: All Right, I'm happy for Jalen Brunson. Obviously this really stings the MAVs. But let me, let's talk about the elephant in the room here. Because you nailed it, Knicks fans hate me. I didn't want him to hate me, just happened, you know, organically, because I did not believe in the Knicks as a serious playoff contender. I thought that they were, that Tibbs teams were playing at their playoff intensity in the regular season, that they wouldn't be able to get to that next level. Instead, it was the Calves that couldn't get to that next level. And then on top of that, you now have the Bucks collapsing to the heat, and all of a sudden, the Knicks are favorites with home court advantage to make the conference finals. That part nobody saw coming.
Speaker 4: Do you think you owe the Knicks fans an apology?
Speaker 3: I mean a little bit. Maybe I suppose that you could one could argue that I owe the Knicks fans in apology. I don't. I don't know what they want from me, other than if an apology will do it, I'll give it to them. But I I'm in a weird spot where I think I was saying what most people believed about the Knicks. I just, all of a sudden get tarred as if I'm the only person that thought this Knicks team was not a real contender. I'm not the only person who thought this next team was not a real contender, but such is life. I give them credit. They lost Julis Randall yesterday, they didn't miss a beat. They made the Calves all of a sudden are going to be in real rough shape as far as what their offseason looks like. And the Knicks are favored at home to go to the conference finals. Nobody could have saw that coming. Nobody did see that coming. But credit to them. I mean, they they did what they did. They deserve massive credit. I did not think they could do it, and they did it. And that one I told Knicks fans when they were all mad at me, I said, listen, I'm not. They were like, oh, you're trolling for clicks. I'm not trolling for clicks. It's what I believe. If I'm wrong, I'll wear it. I was wrong about the Knicks. They had a gear I did not think they had, and Jalen Brunson's been excellent. So I give them credit. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: So do you think we're on the verge of a New York sports renaissance.
Speaker 3: With Rogers coming here in the Knicks? I mean, right now, it's an exciting time for my friends Pep and Josh and these guys that are Knicks and Jets fans. It's gotta be one of the best weeks of their adult lives. As a Knicks fan, I mean it just has to be, so I listen. I give them credit. The Knicks did something not many people thought they were gonna do. Even if you thought they were gonna beat the Calves, you didn't think it was gonna be in five and now because of the Bucks meltdown, you're the favorites against the Heat. Credit to the Knicks. Also, I've got the heat. In this series, We're gonna try to take a quick break come back. If you're watching us on YouTube, we may or may not actually be able to take the break. We'll find out together, take quick break. What's Right?
Speaker 6: Head to Whole Foods Market to jumpstart your January during our New Year boosting event with savings on field good favorites, store wide save on organic picks, wellness, staples, and more all month long.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody, Okay, welcome back. In What's Right with Nick Wright Episode one six, I'm dealing with slight or our YouTube stream's got some technical difficulties. My computer's currently having technical difficulties. Such is life after an insane day in the NBA playoffs. All right, deor what's our last topic before we get to our game of the day.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you shocked even yourself on TV yesterday by picking Denver over Phoenix. You're concerned about the Sun's and workload, but this is a huge zag. Are you scared that the Jokich brothers would come after you if you didn't pick Denver? Or is this a sincere take?
Speaker 3: No, of course it's a sincere take. I So the reason I like Denver in this series is I was and it is a zag. I thought I would like the Suns in this series, but I I did not like anything from that I saw from the Suns in round one, Nick, they won in five. They won in five against a team it's one one after two games against the Clippers, who don't have their second best player, and then their best player goes down for the rest of the series. So now they're playing a team who's best players Russell Westbrook and the second best players Norman Powell, and those are close fourth quarters. You then add to it that the highest scoring duo of any championship team, with Shaq and Kobe and one, they average fifty nine a game that right now, Katie and Durant, I'm sorry, Katie and Durant. Booker and Durant are averaging sixty six points a game. That's not sustainable. The most minutes played in the postseason thus far is Durant, the second most minutes is Booker. The ninth most minutes per game is Chris Paul. That's not sustainable. Denver is going to has home court. That series obviously is at altitude in Denver. All of that massively concerns me, and because of that, I think Denver is gonna win the series. You can't win four rounds with a five man team, that's what Phoenix is trying to do. And the fact that they needed to play Booker and Durant ninety seven minutes a game combined to get passed a injury ravaged Clippers team, to me, is incredibly concerning. So yeah, listen, I'm not a big Jokic guy. Everybody knows that. But it's not like I think he's a bad player. I just didn't think he should have been MVP the last few years. I think the Nuggets are gonna win this series, and I also don't like that lat in games the dolphense isn't running through Durant, It's running through Devin Booker. That concerns me as well. Does a lot of warning signs to me for the Phoenix Suns in this series? All right? Next?
Speaker 4: Okay, So tonight is the NFL Draft, just in time for the return of the schools.
Speaker 3: There are hold on, hold on before we do that, just real quick NFL Draft. So there's seven rounds of it. Tonight is just the first round, thirty two teams. There's actually this year only thirty one picks because the team the Dolphins, lost their pick for tampering with Tom Brady. But it's you know, the commissioner walks up, says the name of the player that they're drafting. How long do you think the first round of the draft? Because it's on TV, millions of people will watch, you can watch sitting with me. How long do you think it takes for the thirty two teams to pick their players for the first round? Not all seven rounds, this first round? Like, how long do you think the broadcast will be the night Give it a guess, three hours, five and a half hours. It's gonna be so great that with Hawk Celtics on secondary screen. Very exciting, great television night. Also is a rough week for marriages. Man, we had an NBA triple header Tuesday, a quad header last night, NFL Draft tonight plus Hawk Celtics tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: You have.
Speaker 3: NBA? What do we have? A doubleheader plus rounds two and three in the draft? Little nervous, but okay, go ahead. What game are we playing?
Speaker 4: We're about to play a game of Nick Stradamus. Yep, okay, So four qbs have been prophesied, Young Stroud, Richardson and look at the screen.
Speaker 3: I love that. That is a great photoshop for those of us, for those people that have stuck with the the technical difficulties on YouTube. They're getting a great photoshop treat there. But go ahead, Young Stroud, Richardson and Levis Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah. However, the exact order of said prophecy was lost. You were able to decipher the prophecy of the prince that was promised. Yea, work your magic again, Nick stredamits souso sport. What say you about this year's QB prophecy?
Speaker 3: Well, listen, Bryce Young is gonna go number one to Carolina. It then gets real tricky. It wouldn't be shocking if the Texans at two don't take a quarterback demon in the corn and the Tarot card. If the Texans end up taking Will Anderson at too, and then a team trades up with Arizona so they can get their quarterback at three, I don't know if that's the there we go. Uh here's what I will say about the quarterback for my quarterback predictions. I don't love this class. The guy who I think has the best chance to be a star is Anthony Richardson because of all the crazy athletic tools. He's not gonna go number one. Bryce Young will go number one to the to the Panthers. I might have said the team wrong earlier. He's going number one to the Panthers. But Bryce Young, my concern with him is the same concern that I always tell you I have with these quarterbacks. He's too little. There's my concern with Kyler. You can't be one hundred and seventy pounds and play quarter or one hundred and eighty pounds and play quarterback in the NFL. You just can't. And so I think he's a great young man. I think he's super sharp. His college state is great. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. But he's gonna go number one. The quarterback I would take if my team needed a quarterback, and I thought I had to compete with Patrick Mahomes and Trevor Lawrence and those guys would be Anthony Richardson, even though it's a project next.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's been a lot of bad juju surrounding C. J. Stroud after reports of a bag cognitive cognition cognition test score and him spurning the Manning camp. But is this all just mumbo jumbo. Use your third eye to see if there is actually anything wrong with Stroud.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's anything wrong with Stroud, but I do think he's going to be penalized for this by teams. Okay, I think that there was when the Panthers initially traded up for number one, there was real smoke that he was going to go number one. Now there seems to be real smoke that he potentially could be the fourth quarterback taken. I don't know that I buy that if the Texans pass on a quarterback at two, I find it impossible to believe that if he's there at twelve, where they also have the that they're not taking him at twelve. But I do think, and I don't know that I buy the validity of it, but that the S two cognition test and his grade being so bad on it is gonna hurt him. I know that he came out and said, I'm not a test taker, I'm a football player. I get that, and I respect that, and people that study this stuff more than me really like his processing in his film. But I do think he's gonna fall in the draft. I think a guy who some people thought was gonna go number one. Now to me, it seems unlikely he's even the second quarterback taken, and on the board that he's the fourth quarterback taken.
Speaker 4: All right, next, Okay, The center of the NFL Cosmos for the NFL Draft is located not in Neptune, nor at the edge of Kyrie's flat Earth, but in Kansas City. Yeah, gates into the future. Will Kansas City thrive or with the universe collapse in on itself.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. I love my hometown. I'm so excited we get to host the Draft. I don't think it is the you know, the ideal location for a mega event. It's not really what Kansas City is built for. However, what you are going to get? Nothing's the only thing sports reporters like more than Bruce Springsteen concerts is talking about great local food. And Kansas City has awesome food, and they're gonna have you're gonna you cannot go wrong with the local barbecue spots. Now, our downtown leaves a little something to be desired, but there is great Mexican food in Kansas City. There is the best barbecue in the world in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Sure, some people would disagree with you on that one. On what the best barbecue in the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, well they're wrong. I mean it's it's it's accepted by anyone of the brain that can. Kan City is known for barbie better.
Speaker 4: Texas is known for their barbecue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's in Texas barbecue and its dry rubs and their obsession with brisket. It's just not even close. I've lived in both places. It's not either. It's in Saint Louis barbecue stinks, Memphis barbecue very good, the Carolina's barbecue. It's your loyalty.
Speaker 4: I'm going to read these comments afterwards and see what they say, because I bet you everyone will agree with.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I don't give it. They're wrong. And when I'm telling you know.
Speaker 4: One of those things that you can't where is.
Speaker 3: The best barbecue? Do you think it's not? Uh, a very widely held belief that Kancity is the best barbecue in the world.
Speaker 4: I'm sure some people think that, but I'm pretty sure every like it's kind of a general consensus that Texas has the best barbecue.
Speaker 3: And I'm telling you that that is nonsense. We let Texas. Here's the thing, here's the hot take people aren't ready for. It's not that Kansas City barbecue is better than Texas barbecue. It's that Texas barbecue is below average. It's that if we are ranking barbecue, it's Kansas City one, Memphis two, the Carolinas three. That's the list. And so don't go I'm not I'm using.
Speaker 4: So yeah, number one is Texas according to what doora. Second is Memphis according to what DOORA heard is Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 3: According to what doorra Google. No, well that's just the first as search engine optimization, because I can tell you right now, the New York Post said the number one barbecue restaurant in America is Joe's Kansas City, and Joe's Kansas City, while great and I had it when I was there a couple of weeks ago, is not even the best barbecue place in Kansas City, and they're gone to the best barbecue place in the world.
Speaker 4: Literally, every single place I'm looking at has Missouria's third, no matter who's first and second.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I'm telling you right now that because some dopes at some marketing firm in Houston optimized their their search engines queries to.
Speaker 4: You could just admit that you're wrong.
Speaker 3: Wrong, I'm not wrong.
Speaker 4: Every single place as Kansas City as third and first is either Memphis or Texas.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's great. I'm very happy that people love Franklin's in Austin. Give me a break.
Speaker 4: That the that's why you do say anything when you googled, because you saw that everywhere said Texans. That's why I.
Speaker 3: Don't again these places. And I have to you, you don't claim Kansas City.
Speaker 4: You have I said, I don't claim it as my hometown. That doesn't mean I didn't live there.
Speaker 3: You listen, now tell you this much. Oh oh, by the way, what's the barbecue capital of America? Kansas City is the barbecue capital of the world. According to Yeah He's have the best barbecue. The Lockhart, Texas is number one. Give me a break, Lockhart, Texas. What is the best barbecue in the world. This place vent O'haragano and South Paulo, Brazil. I'm sure it's quite good, but give me a break.
Speaker 4: The top three barbecue cities in the US San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Kansas.
Speaker 3: Obviously a Texas plason. They are different styles of barbecue. We're ending this debate here. They are different styles of barbecue. Texas is all about dry rubs.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. It's big on ribs.
Speaker 3: It's a big on Hold on a second here, dry rub is not it will admit it. Dry rub is not a meat. It's the meat. And Kansas Kansas Carolina's is like a vinegar based sauce. Kansas City is about a lot of It is about the sauce that goes with the barbecue. Hence Casey Master's barbecue sauce and text is all about dry rubs. It's just not as good. It's just flatly not as good. Now back to the point of the question. This is why I'm not certain Kansas City is the ideal major events you know city in America because the best thing we have going for us is the barbecue. Luckily, the barbecuees are the best in the world. I'm not listening to any more arguments on this. We are moving on. What is next? What is next? Do you think you won that argument?
Speaker 4: I do think I won that argument. Actually, Okay, the night sky is full of stars, but some may be in motion. Astronomers predict the DeAndre Hopkins and Derrick Henry consolations may be shifting. Interpret the stars. Which will we move during this draft?
Speaker 3: I think DeAndre Hopkins gets traded. I think you might get traded to the Chiefs, which would be great for him because you get to move to the best barbecue capital of the world. After living in Houston and having to deal with that medium.
Speaker 4: Barbecue, I missed the Texas barbecue best in the world.
Speaker 3: If you're not watching on YouTube, if you are watching on YouTube, you can tell if you're not. I'm going to reveal something right now. I'm really annoyed. I'm like highly irritated. Your brother would never do this. Where is he when we need him? Where's my act?
Speaker 4: Do you think Demanze wouldn't stand with Texas instead of Kansas City. I think demand you know he would be on my side here.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think deep down he might agree with you. But I think Demanse, much like despite doing the show, never had the audacity to try to do the intros and the outros himself. He would understand that when I am this firm and adamant about something, it is his role as the co host to lay down his sword. You, on the other hand, just yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: You realize when you have a co host, that means that you're both co hosts.
Speaker 3: I disagree with that. I've heard that before. I disagree with You're like.
Speaker 4: Saying, I'm the co host and we're co hosts.
Speaker 3: No, I'm the host.
Speaker 4: If there's a host there's only one person, it's co hosts. If there's two people, which means we are both co hosts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I disagree. I I understand what you're saying. Many people agree with and I'm sure if you googled that it would come up in your favor as well. I flatly disagree. I'm the host of like the by the way, this is.
Speaker 4: Good, the dictator and our subject Colin.
Speaker 3: Colin does this too. When he introduces me on the Herd, he says, the co host of First Things First, and I always, deep down I'm like, eh, the host of First Things First? Next?
Speaker 4: Whatever?
Speaker 3: Next?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jean, sorry, Jean?
Speaker 3: Yeah. God.
Speaker 4: In the time of old sages, first round running backs are plentiful, but a chosen one has risen from the ashes again this year. Read the tea leaves which team will select Bajon Robinson.
Speaker 3: This is a tough one because it just would just be the wrong decision to spend the top ten pick on it. Not because a running back can't be great enough for you know, four years to make that worthy of a top ten pick, but because none of the teams drafting in the top ten are that are a piece away from winning. If you had a team that will let me give no team drafting in the top nine is he's away from winning? I should say a team like Philly that was in the Super Bowl and only as a top ten pick because of that foolish trade the Saints made. If he's there at ten, I don't think that would be a bad pick for them. There's window is right now. He's awesome now it's running backs, so it's not a long career. I understand all of that, but it was I know there's some rumors like, hey, could Atlanta take him? They're so far away that would make no sense. But Philly is not so Philly at ten to me couldn't make sense if he gets past Philly at ten. I think that the Jags at twenty four, but they just spent a second und pick on Travis at tea and that's probably unrealistic. The Bills at twenty seven, if he were to fall that far, that would make sense for them. I hope that the Bills or the Bengals don't take him because I do think for three or four years he could be elite and really help him. Next. Are we done?
Speaker 4: Ye're done?
Speaker 3: We're done? Okay, sweet? Sorry, I'm still tilted. Oh.
Speaker 4: Demanse apparently has weighed in on the barbecue debate via text.
Speaker 3: What did he say? What does he say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look at my guy? There's my guy. That's what I'm to see. Where are you at? Son? Can we I know we're building out a studio in LA that's not so to be ready till August, but maybe we can get that done. Earlier. What did he say, look at the screen? Case, he's the best, That's what Demanse said. How about that?
Speaker 4: And he knew you needed someone on your side?
Speaker 3: Well, no, he just he understood his his what uh he just under you know, he gets it. He understands all of our jobs within this family podcast.
Speaker 4: Which is what exactly.
Speaker 3: To make me look as good as possible. That's the rolet hard Okay, quick break, right back, answer your questions in the chat What's right? All right? Welcome back in episode one, What's right with Nick? Right? We have a surprise video from Demands. I'm told I don't know what it is, but I'm excited to see it. Before we do that, though, Deora, let's read some listener questions or comments. You go right ahead, okay.
Speaker 4: CVM said Texas and Memphis and North Carolina are all better than casey.
Speaker 3: Okay, go to Okay, go to Arthur Bryant's order, half burn In's half work and what.
Speaker 4: Are not good?
Speaker 3: See? So oh, now we have the answer. That is probably the staple of Kansty barbecue is burn ins. So if you don't like burn ins, it is like being like, oh, all French restaurants suck by the way I hate duck Lorange, Like, give me a break. You just don't like the specialty like the I mean you guys like the duck Lorange drop. Uh, just you just you should have removed yourself from this argument.
Speaker 4: Like the veins are popping out.
Speaker 3: In your You're really frustrating me. Next question, all right, what's Caleb's Celia asking do you are.
Speaker 4: With the draft tonight? What picks or trades could occur that would indicate what's in Lamar's future. Could the Colts trade down or pick a non QB with the hopes of signing Lamar after the draft?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that'd be a that's a great question. If the Colts don't. If the Colts don't take a quarterback, that's gotta alert your Lamar antenna. Any team that trades away a pick in this year's draft to get an to get extra picks in next year's draft, if that team needs a quarterback, that should raise your Lamari and Tenna. Or any team that spends a premium pick this year on a wide receiver, if they don't have their franchise quarterback set, that should raise your Lamari and Tenna. That's a great question. All right next.
Speaker 4: Well, John taid to ask, what direction do you think the Bucks will go from here?
Speaker 3: Uh? I think they fire their coach. I think that they fire their coach. I think that this series can get the coach fire. I do all right, what King of Fedoras, Okay, you got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. King of Fedoras asked if Jemmy Butler wins a title in Miami, is there a legit case for him? Oh gosh, be in the greatest Heat of all time?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, that's Dwayne Wade. Lebron's the best player who's ever played there. But the greatest player in franchise history is Dwayne Wade, And there's no question about it. He delivered them a title in six He was the second best player on a team that went to four straight finals and won two more titles. It's it's without a doubt, it is uh d Wade. So no, but he gets on the mount rushmore right now, the greatest Heat ever are d Wade, Lebron, Shack Alonzo Morning. I think he knocks Alonzo Mourning. No, maybe he knocked Shack off that because he would have delivered. Yeah, I think he would knock Shack off that list.
Speaker 4: All right, next, Okay, so next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Burston Studious.
Speaker 4: Burston Studious asked, what do you think the trade market for Kawhi and or Paul George is for Quiet and or Paul George? They couldn't. They could definitely help a lot of contenders, but are too unreliable to be number ones.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's a far better trademarkt for Paul George than Kawhi. I think why at this point is almost untradeable. He's on a max contract and it looks like he might have a degenerative needs, Like I just don't think I don't think there's a market for him. I also think they're just gonna run it back. All right, last one before we get to Demonte's video.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Okay, Mike Swain said, Diora, you may hate me for this, but the but he loves the rating that you give me on the show and that I've really come into my own Oh and that you that he thinks that you're just really proud of me and that he loves the show.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Mike. Uh And I was really proud of Doora until about this last half hour. Now I'm just furious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, He's been pretty open about the fact I'm not the favorite child anymore.
Speaker 3: Who do you think is.
Speaker 4: Come on, You've said on the podcast that I'm not the favorite child anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was it was like Demand's last day. I was trying to.
Speaker 4: No, it was after he already work.
Speaker 3: Him up, and your mom told me I have to stop saying. You know, you're my favorite. I've always been my favorite, all right. I love all my kids equally, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Like them anyway.
Speaker 3: Oh but but it seems like Mike wants a rating for you today.
Speaker 4: No, no, I told you stop.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's get Demand's video surprise video right now. Let's so I apologize. I'm taking it now seven point one. Let's see Demandy's video go without further ado.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, here we are, open it up. Pardon my fan aid got a little plush blanky on her. Take that off, and then what do you have?
Speaker 3: You have this? I don't even really.
Speaker 5: Know what to say about it. It's it's just it's it's just so amazing, be awesome if I name are on there. But I actually could.
Speaker 3: Up an engraver earlier.
Speaker 5: He's got some stuff in the works. We officially have the one hundred thousand subscribers. You know it's not actual.
Speaker 4: You don't actually have.
Speaker 5: One hundred thousand subscribers until you have the plaque. Couldn't have done it without you, guys. Thank you to everybody that listens. Miss you guys. Can't wait to be with you guys again.
Speaker 3: And we got it. That is awesome. That is so cool. We actually grow black and Demonse wearing his work clothes looking all professional.
Speaker 4: Got a polo on.
Speaker 3: He looks great?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 3: You know what do you are? You are right? He's back to be my favorite?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bet we got one hundred thousand and.
Speaker 3: Demmsey, don't you engrave that? There's no place to getting blacks to hosts. It's the whole seat.
Speaker 4: Oh so your name isn't on it?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Literally is says what's right with Nick? Right literally on the plat.
Speaker 4: So you could do the show by yourself? Right, since you're a host? I should just I have better things to do. You know, I'm really cool, I'm really popular and fun.
Speaker 3: You know. See you guys Tuesday for episode one. Enjoy the draft and the rest around one of the NBA playoffs. See you guys. Then, what's right bye,