Speaker 1: Baseball is back. Let's talk to the pros. Welcome in everybody, the fantasy pros. This is the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. And B Joey p Joe Pisapia with me is insider the Welsh. That's right, he's now an MLB insider because he's down there in spring training on the fields. He's shagging flies, he's getting dan. And we've got a great guest for you today from CBS. My dude, Frank Staffle's gonna join us and today baseball is back. When last week left you, it was a somber tone. Paul Sport and the Welsh were in a quite a dust up. It was very reminiscent of Jose Bautista and rugnett o'dor going at it. We didn't think baseball is happening. We've come back here this week with a fresh attitude.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna say I took it on the chin?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: No, yes, Sde I take it on the chin. I'm Batista. I took it on the chin.
Speaker 1: I think not because you took it on the chin just because Paul Sporer was swinging. Paul Sporer was swinging and he was basically didn't care what he was swinging.
Speaker 2: He was just the air, just that nothing he was.
Speaker 1: He was swinging at the air and he was and he would say, go ahead, you talk, and then he would swing again at you. And I felt like, that's kind of why he has to be a door in this that you not that you couldn't throw a punch, Mosh. I believe you're a big, strong guy. But anyway, we've got transactions to talk about, we got injuries to talk about, we have got draft day bargains to talk about. Frank Stanfel, I am so grateful to have you on the show. Everybody knows Frank. Frank is super famous. He hosts, obviously the Fantasy Baseball Today pod over at CBS. Frank, how are you feeling now that baseball is back?
Speaker 3: Relieved but also overwhelmed.
Speaker 4: There is so much going on right now in the baseball world, so we're reacting to it in real time. All these trades, signings, tatis, motorcycles. Everything's going crazy right now. But I'm happy to be here two of my favorite people in the industry.
Speaker 3: And I really do mean that. I'm not just saying are you.
Speaker 2: Are you allowed to have that beard with that hat on I thought there was a Yankee rule where you can't have that rookie beard. I'm pretty sure you gotta shave that off, Frank.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I was growing it out until baseball was back, and now I just kind of like it.
Speaker 2: So it looks kind of rookie. I think Frank might be throwing the punches here. It's it's a Fantasy Pro sandwich with CBS in the middle. Gotta love it, love.
Speaker 1: I do, kind of. I do kind of see the rookie thing he's got.
Speaker 2: You see there is kind of rookie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is why you have to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Fantasy Pros MLB channel specifically, because I feel like when he takes the cones off, the headphones off, the hat of the beard, everything comes with it. It's like a whole thing. He just puts it on for the show and he takes it off.
Speaker 2: Frank, punch your microphone. Please please punch your microphone so we can really make sure if you're rooky.
Speaker 1: Before we start throwing Haymaker's zero. Want to remind everybody we got to give away for you Fantasypros dot Com slash MLB contest. We are giving away and Austin Riley autographed jersey. Not too shabby, right there, Braves breakout star of twenty twenty one. Well, guess what you can have that autograph jersey thanks to our friends at Pristine Auction. All you have to do is subscribe to our Fantasy Pros YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros m LB again MLB channel. It's where you're gonna find leading off every single morning with me and the Welsh and Friends Welsh loves the Friends part.
Speaker 2: Wait, I like that, Joe Welsh and Friends. That's great.
Speaker 1: Welson. See you got upgraded. You were just finding Now it's end Friend and Welsh and Friends. There you go.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: After that, oh you gotta do is screenshot that bad boy, go to Fantasypros dot com slash contest and enter to win that Austin Riley autograph jersey. And don't forget about our Discord channel too. We're gonna be having stages on there. We're gonna be taking your MLB questions. So that's gonna be happening. I'm gonna be running a couple of those very soon. I think in the next week or so, we're gonna kick those off with your draft questions, your trade questions. That's fantasypros dot Com slash Chat free to join, but you upgrade you get access to all of our premium channels they are, including those stages which are so useful for everybody. And I cannot, I cannot stress enough how great our discord community is too. It's a really strong group of fantasy players, fantasy enthusiasts, fantasy insane maniacs, and I love them all our peanuts and cracker Jack. So let's get kicking here, and let's start off with the big news. Fernando Tatists Junior may have surgery, may not have surgery. I don't know, Frank, you are our guests today. Well surely failed us because he saw Fernando Tatis's brother and he didn't ask him what the deal is.
Speaker 3: And you failed to today.
Speaker 1: You know you're a failure today. Well, so I'm gonna go to you instead, Frank Tatist. This new is obviously huge. Let's say he does have the surgery. Let's live in that hypothetical world. He could miss all the way up and not be back until June. Where does this bump Fernando Tatists down in your redraft rankings right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm currently ranking him as if he is going to have surgery and miss all that time. So I moved him down to seventeen in my shortstop rankings, which sounds like a massive drop it is. I mean, he was my number one overall player, and rightfully so. Even last year dealing with the shoulder injury, he was fantastic. He was like the fifth overall player in Rodo regardless of that. So I got him just behind Willie Damas and Dansby Swanson, just ahead of Jake Croninworth and Chris Taylor. We did a mock draft last night and he went eighty fifth overall, So I think he's kind of scaring like eighty to one twenty range right now overall. And it's just a tough situation because it's a fluid situation.
Speaker 3: There's details coming out. We don't know if he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Have the surgery, but if he does, that's where I have him ranked as of now.
Speaker 1: That's where I have him too. I moved him down. I think he's at ninety overall or somewhere there. Also, I think I have him at shortstop sixteen or fifteen. Overall, I can't remember exactly where, but I moved him basically behind Bobby Wood Junior because I think that's my threshold. It's do I want to take a full season of the rookie who I really believe in, or half a season of tatist. I think I want the rookie because I want the games. I want the volume. It's one thing in season long roto, but well, these head to head leagues, this kind of a time miss can absolutely crush you. So where have you had to adjust with tattoos? And what's your instincts? Tell you here? If you've got a draft coming up this weekend, you kind of have to make some hard choices here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm with you, guys. I did kind of the same thing. I want to say. I've got him at like eighty six eighty seven. I also put him right below Wit And actually in the discord there's a private little Chris welsh Ama room and our boy elc and asked this exact question, and I said the same thing. I said, Listen, at this point, I believe Bobby Wood Junior is going to start the year. He's been working third base with the Majors there's an incentive now for teams to have these guys beyond the opening day roster makes all the sense in the world. So you know two and a half months. I mean we're talking like, okay, scenario is probably two maybe just under worst case scenario could be three months into the season or even beyond. I mean, what if there's also like a shoulder surgery and what that takes away? That that all that is a juice worth the squeeze. He's awesome when he's out there, but the time missed, even if it's roto, even if it's counting on the back end, I think, you know, a best ball or something is completely different. But I'm not it's super interested, though I do acknowledge this. One thing is that when I get into drafts, because someone asked me about this, I do feel like, probably after the fourth round, he's gonna be on my radar. You know, you're gonna see his name another one. I don't think we're gonna talk about him, but you know, Ronald d'cunya didn't exactly get the most rousing endorsement this past week, and we talked about him last week Joe in. Hey, you know if we're miss games. Blah blah blah. That's not happening. And then they came out and said they hope he's back by May. It could be late May. So Ronald d'acunya is in a similar situation that you're gonna be into the third round and you might see Akunya and Tatisa on your draft board. It's going to be enticing. Let somebody else be the one that does the overreach, because to Frank's point, like when he said Dansby and Willia Domis, those sound gross, those sound super gross like, but the production you're gonna get from them for three months is anything with very little risk compared to what you have with Tatis. So the sad, unfortunate news is we I think we got to dump him down past seventy five, and then you know God willing to you in the format you play in and how you can cover for him if you want to jump in.
Speaker 1: I could see on Frank's face that he was not happy about your disparaging of Willia.
Speaker 2: Toms back Willia Dominus, but like black, like who wants Willia Domas is like your top guy.
Speaker 1: Frank, Save it save it for Save it for the draft day bargains. Frank, save it for that. Don't worry. You can unleash on Welsh later. Let's talk about matt Olsen. Matt Olson apparently on the move, and the Oakland A's are making moves, and matt Olsen moves to the Atlanta Braves, a better home ballpark certainly for him, and then they signed to an eight year extension. Not too shabby. I mean, Matt Olson forty dingers last year, one hundred and one hundred. It's a pretty darn good player. And now all of a sudden he is moving to the Atlanta Braves. And Frank I was looking in the prop for him was thirty to one to lead the league in home runs. I was jumping on that yesterday. I think that's a fantastic one. But from a fantasy standpoint here this means if Freddy Freeman's not coming back. So how do you unpack this year for matt Olsen, this that the Braves made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think overall it's a net positive, right, he moves to a seemingly better ballpark, a better lineup around him as well. Interestingly enough, you look on stackcast, you scroll down, they show how many home runs he would hit in each ballpark right. So last year he hit thirty nine home runs overall, and if he played all of his games in Atlanta and all of his batted balls were hit the exact same way, he only.
Speaker 3: Would have had thirty four home runs. So I found that interesting.
Speaker 4: Overall, I still think it's a better park shift for him, it's a better lineup around him.
Speaker 3: He was awesome last year.
Speaker 4: He made huge strides in terms of strikeout rate against left handed pitching, and that's really what afforded him the ability to break out and have the best season of his career. However, I worry about guys changing leagues, especially players that are being drafted this early too. I mean, his ADP is in the middle of the third round right now, and that skill set as well. I get it the power, it's enticing, but in a categories league, I'm typically looking for some kind of speed in my first three four rounds and points league I'm probably looking for pitching at that point, So he's just not a skill set that I typically target in that part of the draft. And I do worry that there could be a transition period here going from the American League to the National league.
Speaker 3: We saw it with Francisco Lindoram.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we've seen it with a bunch of stars basically as long as we've been playing this game. So I worry a little bit for Matt Olson. I'm not going to be the one drafting in the third.
Speaker 1: Round, all right, Welsherre, You're gonna be the one drafting with a third round seems like, you know, thirty five ninety five ninety five is a pretty good bid. That sounds like a pretty great third round player to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frank said it pretty much how I would have said it as well, Like, I actually think this is a good positive for the support that's around that. I think there's a higher IRBI opportunity. There's a lot of just offensive support that's across this team. Much different team Oakland to the Atlanta Braves, but from a roster construction standpoint, that's not when I'm looking at first basement. I pass on Matt Olson all the time. If he were to fall, I'd be interested. He's not going to fall because now he's a brave. He's gotten out of Oakland and he's going to be a brave. And Franks All's right, there's a transitional thing. Another guy to thrown there, Manny Machado from a couple of years ago. We see that transitional change. I think this could be a little bit different. But you know, you say that, and you go and look at Manny Machado and all the guys they had around that he had the same thing. He's just not as fun as he is. He's not in that target range. I love Pee Alonzo, but kind of same thing. I like that big, big in power, but I would like it to fall a little bit, and Olsen does not. And the trade is not going to change anything, So net positive. I agree with draft target due to his cost, probably not for me.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Pee Alonzo. Two car flips three times in an accident, he walks away from it.
Speaker 2: He kicked a windshield out.
Speaker 1: Ab Pe Alonzo, Ladies and gentleman, that's my dude right there. All right. There were some trades too. The Mariners acquired outfielder Jesse Winker and third baseman a Canio Suarez from the Reds. They got Justin Dunn, Brandon Williamson, Jake Freeley, back Welsh. What do you make of this trade here? Obviously the Reds are shedding Anna Salary. Who knows if Castillo is next, but Jesse Winker and Suarez, I mean, two players that we've liked in fantasy over the years and different years. Certainly last year Waker was tremendous. But now you're moving him out of Cincinnati. What are your thoughts here on what this does to their fantasy value?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's funny. When Winker was in the minors, his big thing was he was like a high, high contact hitter who really struggled to find his power in the miners. Then when he came up, he had these short little burst where it was like, oh, he hit eight homers and one hundred and fifty eight bats and we kind of got excited. Then he kind of found himself. I don't obviously love the ballpark change for him, but I still think this is an overall positive because the Reds not a great, great team. It's a great ballpark. Seattle's not gonna be playing in Seattle for every single game, just half of them. I like the team. I like the team construction. I like it's being aggressive. He's going to hit right in the middle of the order. If you get bounced backs from guys like Jared Kelnick, you've got a running team RBI. I think it's better RBI opportunity in Seattle than there is in Cincinnati. But I think it's it's just it's kind of like middle line, Like I don't see the reason to really dump him off because of a tiny bit of a power tick down where I think run an RBI opportunity can be there. So it's just it's a flat line for me.
Speaker 1: And Frank Your Yankees acquired Josh Donaldson and Isaiah Kiner Filefa for Geo or Schella and Gary Sanchez. What are your thoughts on this one? Because Josh Donaldson in New York City, to me, is not a good marriage in terms of the media and what I know of Josh Donaldson. So I think this is a peculiar It makes sense on paper. I'm a little worried about this one in practice? Or is it just get Gary Sanchez out of town? Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean, as a Yankee fan, I was ecstatic that.
Speaker 4: I don't have to watch Sanchez try to catch balls. I mean he didn't really do much catching actually, but yeah, so throw up here Yankee perspective. I'm fine with the movie. It kind of caught me off guard. It didn't really think that they needed to upgrade third base. They get their stopgap shortstop because obviously they are very excited about the prospects that are coming. Anthony Volpi the shortstop of the future there, so they get, you know, likely one year out of Isaiah kind of le Donaldson I already liked for fantasy because it felt like he was under value. He's going around pick two hundred according to Fantasy Pros ADP, and he was really good last year. I mean, you know, hit around two fifty twenty six home runs eight twenty seven ops. He still walks a lot, strikeout rate is decent, and now the team context and the ballpark is much better. So now moving over to the Yankees, I think we're gonna start to see a little bit of attacks. I think he moves up probably like thirty forty spots in ADP, but I'd still be willing to take him there, especially with the third base position looking as bad as it is. So if you miss out on Chris Bryan and Anthony Rendon and Alex Bregman and those guys going in the middle round, I think Josh Donaldson is a great fallback option and.
Speaker 3: Then kinder Fileffa. You know, if you're playing a deeper rodo categories league.
Speaker 4: I think he could be like a ten homer, two eighty hitter, twenty plus steals, and again the context for the team is really good. So if you do play in a deeper format and you need some speed late, I think IKF is fine.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought him up because that was I wanted to talk about him, because I almost put him in the next section. What we're gonna talk about when we're kind of talking about bargains, not just to poke at Paul Spor and our ongoing Isaiah kind of Palifa beef or anything like that, but because he I mean, this is a guy that is going to stay on the field. He can run. If the team is going to allow him to run, he's gonna get that every day, and he's positioned his position eligibility is gonna work in his favor. Where I mean, josh Donlinson get hurts all the time, he can move over to third. The thing we don't know one hundred percent, but what if he got some catcher run again and he got that eligibility into the season. That was what was so enticing about him in Yahoo last year that I think the steel potential could uptick. And you actually, I think gave a pretty aggressive line. If he were ten ish Holmer's twenty stolen bases, he's probably I think I saw some of the roster resource depth charts like around I think seven or eight or something like that. You're gonna get run opportunity. He's gonna be kind of devoid in RBI. I think posts like two point fifty or wherever he is. He's kind of a I don't know if I want to go as far as bargain. That's why I didn't put him in, but I think he's close to that. If you're looking for a little bit deeper league in a middle infield for an uptick and stolen bases, and I don't know, God knows, man, he could jump into a little bit more power. Maybe he gets pushed up in the lineup if there's injuries. I mean, there's a lot of possibilities with him and his position eligibility is really going to help, and he might get some more spots with the Yankees.
Speaker 1: One year deal for Nelson Cruz for the Nationals. This makes sense to me, Guys, because if you're the Nationals, you give Soto some support there for a few months, and then you trade them off and basically you spent money to get prospects, right, I mean Welsh that that's pretty much what his cruise deal is, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Well? I mean, I think on paper for US is what it looks like. But he mentioned that the reason he came here was because he was sold maybe a bill of goods, but he was sold that the team still plans to make more moves, that they still plan to make this team competitive. And I know, yeah, I could see that. Oh that that's smug, like I right, like, look that you just give er. But I would say this though, so many more of the fringe teams are that's a really good roberts Niro. By the way, that looks like Facebook Robert D. Niro. If there was ever a reason besides my baseball ism, Ken Griffy eight bit hat to look at is Joe's de Niro face right now. But the fringe teams in each division are more palatable to potentially jump into the playoffs now with expanded that. I don't think the Nationals, I don't think it's silly, it's regardless of us looking at the dumb roster, but look at the pitching that they have. This is a team that is kind of pot committed to make a stab at it unless they can unload. And guess what they showed us, They're not going to take a stab at it because they signed Nelson Cruz. I think they still got a bullet or two to make, and I think they're going to make a run. So you say trade candidate. If they lose and Corbyn is back to two pitches and both unsuccessful and Strasbourg back on the il okay, Yeah, then Cruz is absolutely going to get probably slung over to the Padres or something like that. But I don't know. Nelson Cruz's words to me make it seem like he's going to be there for a bit, and I like the move.
Speaker 1: All right, Frank, We've got left handed pitcher Carlos for Don saying a two year deal with the excuse me, your Giants. I've been in football all day, the San Francisco Giants for forty four million dollars. So obviously a spectacular season for Carlos, wrote Don last year, especially the first half, it was actually fantastic. Then a little bit of miss time, a little bit of regression, which was going to happen because he was so far off the chart. And this is what I struggle with, Frank, because the Giants have had a really good history of plucking some of these guys and them continuing or having success there for the first time. So does the fact that the Giants went after him and that group specifically give you cautious optimism for his value this year and maybe beyond.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I actually really like the circumstances here for Carlsurdan, not only signing with the San Francisco Giants, they've done great work with.
Speaker 3: Really not just pitchers but hitters as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, they've just done fantastic the past couple of years with Brandon Crawford and Eva Longoria and Brandon Belt and Buster Posey getting as much as they can under those guys, but most recently Kevin Gosman Drew Smiley was really good there as well. They got a lot out of Alex Wood, and now Carlos Hordan jumps into the mix.
Speaker 3: I love the contract that they gave him to me.
Speaker 4: That was more than anything else here is the fact that they were okay committing forty four million dollars over two years when he wasn't even given the qualifying offer by the Chicago White Sox. So I always found that curious the White Fox didn't give it to him. And then another team goes out and what I consider a pretty smart team in the San Francisco Giants, they go out and to give him two years in each year is worth more than that qualifying offer. And on top of that, he was just ridiculous last year. So there's a lot of moving parts here. He dealt with the shoulder injury. It's been an issue for him. You know, all throughout his career, velocity was down. Over his final four Stars, he was like down at like ninety two to ninety three, whereas for most of the season he was around ninety six.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, Joe.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's a tough one for me to figure out. I've been much lower on him basically all off season. I have moved him up, but not enough. I think people there's always going to be someone in a draft who likes Carlos Horddan more than me, and as a result, I'm probably not going to wind up with a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Clayton Kershaw goes back to the Dodgers one year seventeen million. It's important for the Dodgers too and Welsh. This also feels like, as we get the Trevor Bower news that there's gonna be an investigation there, this seemed like just a smart thing for all parties to come to an agreement there. What are your thoughts on Kershaw this year in terms of I know, last year you were somebody that I remember talking to that was, you know, very pro drafting Kershaw. I was still on the fence about it. So are you ready to go down that well again this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. I think this is one of the best case scenarios you could possibly have. It's a situation for lots of wins. It's a team he's familiar with, there's no transitional period. It's a great offense still to be seen. If they are going to spend more. You don't love that the Dodgers, well you can look at it both ways. Doesn't say you don't love that the Dodgers might occasionally throw in a six man rotation or a deep bullpen or something like that, but actually works in favor of a guy like Kershaw. You know, you don't have to hate the idea of him having an occasional start skipped or you know, maybe him going only five or something like that, because you want him to be clean, you want him to be healthy, and you want to be able to make through me. Can you really count past one fifty? I think it's the best case scenario when he pitches. And this is like a big key for me. With a lot of guys, I know, we get bogged down and we kind of say the same things. We're like, oh, the guys, you know, blah blah blah, never gonna draft him. You know, Jacob's grom just not gonna touch him, Never gonna draft it, He's never gonna be healthy. We always do that stuff. But like when Kershaw is going, he's one of the best. Now, if it's only for one hundred and thirty innings and it gets you at a critical time, that sucks. But guess what cost. It's a beautiful cost right now. So I'm all for it. And you know, I'm not really sure if it is like dictating what's going on with Bauer that the Bower thing is like continuously getting out.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think if you're the Dodgers. You want to cover yourself and make sure you have somebody in that third spot in that rotation, because after the third spot you've got guys you're you're optimistic about that. You hope things go well, but you're not exactly sold on everybody there at four and five. So I think every rotation is like that. I mean the Mets are like that. And when speaking of the Mets, you're talking about Creton Kershaw, who is number thirty eight overall in terms of pitchers on Fantasy Pros. Thirty seven is Chris Bassett, who is now New York Met, part of the Oakland jettising of players. So this is another really important one because of the Jacob deGrom potential health issues right that are looming over everyone who drafts him this year. Max Schurz are at the top of that rotation with him is great, but really, you know, you had a knee surgery for Taiwan Walker, he had, Carls Carrasco was not healthy all year last year. So getting somebody to stabilize this rotation, I mean to me, Chris Bassett is a slam dunk last year one hundred and fifty seven innings. He had twelve wins, one hundred and fifty nine ks, thirty nine walks, three fifteen ERA, a one zero six whip. Frank, what do you think of this Chris Bassett addition to that Mets rotation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so overall, I think he's annually undervalued. He's got a three point two to three ERA since the start of twenty eighteen, that is fifteenth among qualified starting pitchers. But you dig a little bit deeper and you look at the career splits, and I kind of worry about Chris Bassett. Not that he's moving to a much worse ballpark, but Oco really is one of the best places to pitch in baseball. So in his career a two point five to eight ERA in Oakland, a four point three four e RA on the road. So again, another one moving from the AL to the NL universal DH Now I wonder if there's a bit of a transition period. H I think he's fine where he's going, but you know, much like he's going to stabilize the Mets rotation. I think that's what you're relying on him to do in in your fantasy rotation, right, and he's a stabilizer. I don't think that he has like tremendous upside or anything. Uh, he's fine. I worry a little bit about a transition period for him as well.
Speaker 2: Let me ask for who do you want?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, Yeah, you're gonna do what I was gonna do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it. You're gonna do. Who do you want? Chris Bassett or Clayton Kershaw? Ad let's go.
Speaker 4: I will take the upside of Clayton Kershaw on a per star basis. I still think he's better. Swinging trike rate was the best of his career last year, Like we're talking about a Hall of Famer like Perennial Cy young contender and a swinging strike rate was actually the best that it's ever been last year.
Speaker 3: So I'll take him. But it's close.
Speaker 1: It's funny, well because because if you look around, you know, the e ra for Bassett was better, the strikeouts were more because he threw more innings. But you're right, it had to head. I think I would take Kershaw because the start by start in Rodo. I think it's more of a discussion. I'd probably take Kershaw. But I know what you're doing Welsh, right, Yeah, no.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm glad we were both like, well, it's funny we have like three hosts here. We all have that host mindset where I'm like, not, let me, let me ask a question because it's one hundred percent what I was gonna say is this is a really good one. In my own personal ranks, I've got Kershaw a couple sp spots higher than Bassett, and I like Bassett. I like the destination again targeting, you know, especially boring pictures. A lot of like these boring like Nathan Uvaldi, Charlie Moore. These guys are boring, but they're really good for teams, team construction, and Bassett is really good for that as well. Going to a place where you're gonna be able to stack on wins. But in both formats, I'm gonna take Clayton Kershaw. You get the win format. He's also I think one of just the best pitchers when he's on health seems to be there. He was actually over at the Players Association training facility out here in Mesa for a couple of days, you know, getting some private work in as well. Seems healthy. So it is Kershaw on both friends for me. But I'm are we sweeping it, Joe? Yeah, you said you're taking cursing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know me. I'm a head to head dude. I'll go for this season long stuff. Not for me. I need more action. But look, I mean you're right. Start by star Basis. He's playing Kershaw. He's all famer, right, So I think that ADP is a little screw right now. We'll see, We'll see how that changes things. Let's take a quick break in the action to tell you about Manscaped. March Madness is here and not everyone can have the perfect bracket, but you you can have the perfect set of balls this tournament season. That's right with our sponsor, Manscaped. I know you're all out there sweating out the games and you get sweaty and disgusting, and you want to make sure you lather yourself up from head to toe with all the amazing skincare products at manscape dot com with the Ultra Premium Collection. The Ultra Premium Collection from Manscaped includes the lawnmower four point zero electric trimmer that's got advanced skin safe technology, Manscaped Premium deodor, and not for your balls, but for your stinky armpits because they're gross from all that sweating I talked about earlier, The hydrating body moisturizer, the body wash, the two in one shampoo and condition which I really don't use because I'm bald, but look at you. You got a beautiful head of hair. Use it. Plus you get a free gift, a three pack set of lip Bomb that's made with ingredients such as vitamin E, peppermint, and eucalyptus oil to keep those chappers feeling moist. That's four products a gift inside the Ultra Premium collection. What a score. My goodness. I'd recommend you going right now to manscape dot com and use that promo code Joey P at Manscape dot com to get your twenty percent off and free shipping. Again, that promo code is joeyp. You tell them I sent you at manscape dot com and make this tournament season special so you don't bust out of your brackets and then start to stink up the joint. So head tomanscape dot com today and now back to the action. Of course, with spring trining on, not only come signings and there's still a lot of the guys out there, but also come injuries. So Zach Wheeler experiencing shoulder soreness during his throwing program in December. All the way back there, Jack Flaherty just got sent for medical evaluation on his right shoulder. So Welsh, you want to take one of these? How you feeling about some of these pitchers? I mean, this is the thing. I almost feel like we're getting to a point where it's zero SP is going to be my new theory of drafting baseball teams, Like you know, the zero RB theories got to drag itself over. But what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well? And also throwing Zach Gallen who Zach Gallon Allen and another one the l issues which I think he spoke on it today over at the Diamondbacks facility. You know, I agree with you, But part of the thing I don't like is that with what you're saying, like a lot of the fun guys that you want to take kind of on that back end, those are the ones that seem to be struggling, like not Wheeler. Like Wheeler's kind of the elite range, but Flerty has been a really kind of popular one for me. When I start to really want to dip into that picture range, like he's there and it's like, oh, you know top sp one upside, Now you take him off the board one thousand percent. Gallon is one of those guys as well. This is just a funny anecdotal thing. But you know, I love like I love to draft Blake Snell and I also do my impersonation of him. Oh man, I got to get paid. This is Blake Snell here. I saw him yesterday two days ago at Padres Qadre Yo Joey p I got, I swear to god, he talked like this yesterday. He's like, oh man, I gotta go back in the inside. So he's coming back, and so I wanted to talk to him and he just got done throw and he goes, oh man, I gotta go inside. I'm hot. I got hot out here. And he went inside because he was warm, and I was just like, come on, Blake, you're warm. You're warm in Arizona. Like I don't want to give him a soft rating or anything like that, but I like Blake. But beside the point, guys like Gallon and Flairty, those are targets. Those are targets that I want. And now that you're getting, you know, we're getting the repercussions of the lockout, where players couldn't speak to any of their trainers, they couldn't speak with the organization to go through. I mean, Tatisa is another example of that that I do worry a little bit overall on pitching. As we've been pumping them up. How many more guys you know, over the next week, how many more guys are we going to get? Like, oh, little sore arm over here, a little thing over here that I don't know if I've decided is that a punt sp strategy or is that, oh my god, cling to the top guys, similar to what you're doing with closers, cling to the guys that you know right now, sans Wheeler, and then try not to dip your toes too far in, you know, to like, Oh, I'm gonna build my rotation about all these other guys, and you're going to get Darvish, Kershaw and Gallon and then you're gonna have absolutely nobody pitching for you in June. So I don't know, I'm not sure if I'm gonna punt.
Speaker 1: Frank, how scared you specifically have Wheeler two? Because last year was the big breakout. Now you got to pay the premium. So he is being drafted as a top guy because he performed like a top guy last year, even though the track record has told you he's up and down for his career. Now you throw in a potential shoulder issue. What does that do to his draft stock?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I lowered him from I had him as my SP four and I moved him down to SP twelve, so just behind Lucas Shilito and Aaron Nola.
Speaker 3: It might be an overreaction.
Speaker 4: I saw that he threw a bullpen yesterday and then curiously enough, you know we're doing this Tuesday, March fifteenth. Uh, they came out and said that now he's the flu, so he's not gonna throw his next bullpen.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, it seems a little.
Speaker 1: He's got the flu in his shoulder. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: That sale a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Remember he was like sick and then oh he needed Tommy John like a week later.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny how that worked out.
Speaker 1: I had the same thing. I think, Well, you remember, right, I had a stuffy nose. The next thing you do, I had a complete acl redo.
Speaker 2: That's that You're like, You're like, oh, yeah, I had some sniffles and then I broke my foot, and You're like, what what's the correlation?
Speaker 3: Who let me?
Speaker 2: So you said you have forgive Wheeler at twelve yep, is you have Bieber ahead.
Speaker 4: I have Bieber ahead of him, Sanduel Contra, Julio Rias, Lucasgilito, and Aaron Nola.
Speaker 3: So met like the three four turn in a twelve team league.
Speaker 2: So how far off, and especially with some of the new news would you consider? Right he is rob Ray in that category. I'm just curious, like, is Robbie Ray in that range where you go, there's too much fear with Wheeler right now that Ray in Seattle might be a better bet.
Speaker 4: So he is the very next starting pitcher that I have behind Zach Wheeler. And to me, that was like the cutoff where I'm still willing to take the risk, the health risk with Zach Wheeler because I think that there's a bunch of just overall risk with Robbie Ray as well.
Speaker 1: Not me. Give me Robbie Ray all day over Zach Wheeler right now. I am. I am content. I did it. In the last Mock Draft episode, if you remember Welsh, I was like, I'm good, let's go. Robbie Ray could be my dude. I'm I'm away from pitching.
Speaker 2: You like those typererrys?
Speaker 1: I know I do, got those tight pants on. All right. A couple other things to talk about before we shift gears to the draft day bargains, and we'll get to those guys in second half of the show as promised. So no more ten day, I l It's going to be the fifteen day again, which I think is important. Welsh, How does that impact in your opinion transactions now because we all thought, oh great, this is gonna be a saving grace for baseball. We're gonna get guys back faster. No, no, no, what happened was just everybody went to the il all the time. Now that we're pushing it back to the fifteen, are we going to get a better version of fantasy because of that?
Speaker 2: Oh boy? I mean, I don't know if that's necessarily going to be the case. I think you're gonna have similar arguments now. Okay to one thing I just thought about is they are so limiting calling up and down. There's not you can't do the Oliveris thing where you have three hundred and forty seven call ups in a season you're gonna be restricted to like five. So maybe if you take that on top of like really need to be discerning the iel stints, it actually could a little bit more. The only thing I worry about is you've got, you know, less of a spring that, especially maybe early on. I don't feel like that's necessarily going to be the case. I think teams are going to play it very saferly on. If there's anything lingering, I think they're gonna throw guys out. You've got your minor leaguers that can come up. I'm just not sure you're going to see a better fantasy early. I think the opportunity for a better fantasy game is in the back half of the year, as the playoff stretch comes in. There's more teams that are available to go call ups and call and senddowns. Might be at a limited point that I think that's the point where teams are going to be very discerning about il stons. But I'd also throw out, like, how much is it going to piss you off if a team doesn't want to put a guy on a IL and they skip a start because he can't pitch because he's hurt, But they don't want to put on the il for fifteen days, and now all of a sudden you can't even do a pickup. So consider that where if a team like let's say let's just say cursh Off for example, you know he's got a little lingering thing, but they're like, we don't want to lose him for two weeks. We just want to push the start out. So instead of where before il stent you get a free guy for ten days, now you won't because they don't want to do that. So you know, it can go both ways.
Speaker 1: These are the important conversations we're having here. Another one too, is Toronto right now, if you're not vaccinated, you can't go play. Also, I just saw this come around too on Vaccined players from the Yankees and Mets would not be eligible to play home games under the current COVID nineteen rules in New York City. Now those rules could change, but Frank, as of right now, that seems like kind of a big deal to me. How about you trying to make your fancy lineup. Don't you kind of need those guys? Dude?
Speaker 3: What a mess?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing my TGFBI shirt right now.
Speaker 4: And recently wrapped up the draft and I think two of my first three picks for Fernando Tatis and Aaron Judge. So just a complete mess of a situation. And you know it's developing right now. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: There was another report that, uh, they the teams believe that this will be quote handled, the situation will be handled by opening day, which is.
Speaker 1: That also makes me want to make Robert de Niro face.
Speaker 2: That sounds like New York like that sounds like a manhandling the mofiel, Like, yeah, yeah, I handle this. When I handle this COVID vaccine stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Joey, we'll talk about me work it out.
Speaker 4: The problem is like there was a there was a video someone asked Aaron Judge today if he was vaccinated and his answer was like it's a yes or no question, and he just kind of like beat around the bush and he's like, oh, you know, we'll handle it, you know what.
Speaker 1: Look, I think we've all learned. I don't want to make there's not a political show here. I'm just saying this is important to talk about from a fancy perspective, because if you can't play Aaron Judge because if let's just use him as an example. If he's not right, this is the easy question. If he asked me and I say, yes, I am right, it's very easy. And I have no one who hems in Hawes. Typically they either don't want to have a conversation about it for one reason or other, they don't want to stir up something, or they're not so if I can't play Aaron Judge, I agree, I think it's going to be handled. But it's certainly something right now that under the current rules, it's something we have to talk about because they've got have a huge impact, especially in Ina. Some of those daily transaction leagues try to move guys all over the place.
Speaker 2: I think I heard Geo wasn't Gee or or Sella and then he just got traded. You got to wonder like, did that play a little bit of a role and that is.
Speaker 1: I doubt it, but it's not impossible. It's not impossible. Also, we have to use insider. Chris Welsh was at the field today. He's got some breaking news. He tweeted it earlier. But you've got a guy a prospect of the White Sox working out a different position. So this is why we love having Welsh on the show. You know, he is Ken Rosenthal without the bowt t or.
Speaker 2: Or maybe he does.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I haven't seen you could pull off the boat tie. I think a lot of you think Welsh could pull off the boat tie. I think good.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'll try it sometime if someone wants to send me a bow tie, like, I'll pub some coming. Like I wish I could pull more things off, like I barely think I can pull off hats like I've tried cowboy hats. It's awful. I don't think I'm a pull off type of guy.
Speaker 1: But boy hats. No baseball cap yet it's bow ties. Yes, I think we can agree on that.
Speaker 3: I did I give us.
Speaker 1: The inside scoop because we might have a guy who I don't say changing positions, but maybe might be getting a look to spring in a position.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was over at the White Sox facility today. I got to see Chris Rose by the way now with John Boy Media and talk with him for a little bit. All the guys are out there. They were doing hitting drills and they've got kind of a glut of corn field outfield players. They also just signed Josh Harrison, who was speaking with the media, and I go over to one of the side fields. It's there's like the big main fields and there's kind of like a private it's only an infield. A lot of the teams have these diamondbacks have them and it's just Ane and working over there is Pevin Smith at first and Andrew Vaughn at second base, and I was like, wait a minute, you know, because sometimes you get guys that just like go over to second during BP and they just doing But no, this was three coaches working with Vaughn, talking him through each one and they would hit it to Gavin that then could roll it over, you know, and Andrew Vaughn could play the full run. And I got some video of it. I tweeted it out and after it was asked, someone asked, Hey, are you going to be playing in the outfield this year? And he kind of himmed in hoddle over. He's like, you know, we'll see where they want to play me. And then he goes, I just want to play wherever the coaches want me. And this is literally him coming off of running second base drills where they talk with him. They were doing full grounders I mean, we were doing the full thing, So just something to consider out there that I don't think they're stuck or they really know what position he's going to play. Doesn't sound like outfield might be the lock, and I think they're just trying to get positioned flexibility. But I think they got Lori Garcia there and Josh Harrison, but Andrew Vaughn working at second base, So keep an eye on that, maybe some future flexibility or just major questions about, you know, how the hell they can get him in the lineup.
Speaker 1: We've still got Freddy Freeman, Carlos Correa, Chris Bryan, and a host of other free agents he had to sign. So make sure you have our Fantasy Pro's News Desk app on your mobile device so you know when all the breaking news happens and that way you will stay up to date with this. All of this. Now, let's talk about your welshos. Get your Welsh bobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we drop my Welsh bomb.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's right, Welsh bombs all over again. Look, you got the good footage out there. He's out there in Arizona in the heat. He could stand it. Lake Snell connot Welsh is still out there.
Speaker 2: Man, it was so hot, Joe. It was so hot, man. Maybe I'll write a rap song about it.
Speaker 1: Dang, he was so hot. Well, Frank, you know how hot it was out there?
Speaker 2: Getting hot in her sounds hot?
Speaker 1: Right? All right, let's go with some draft day bargains right now, Frank, let's start with you. Who is a draft day bargain. We'll get ten of these, five each for the boys. Here, give me your first one that you think is going a little later than he should and you think is actually a good return on investment.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm gonna go with the old, boring veteran, Charlie Morton, who has an ADP of eighty six point two and feels like he's just being undervalued because he's thirty eight years old. But you look at what he did last year three point three four Era one oh four whip over two hundred strikeouts, and really from twenty seventeen on he's been fantastic.
Speaker 3: Three three four.
Speaker 4: Era one one three whip well over a strikeout per ending. He did have that blip in the short and twenty twenty he dealt with the shoulder injury, but he bounced back. Last year velocity was fine swinging strike rate was awesome back with the Atlanta Braves. Yes, he's coming back from the broken leg, but so far he's been good in training camp. He's been throwing bullpens, and I think that we're gonna start to see his price actually rise.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: I think people were worried about, you know, where's the health with Charlie Morton at his age. But I think as people start to see him healthy in inspring game, so he's probably even gonna rise a little bit. So if you're drafting now, I would say, try and get as much Charlie Morton as you can.
Speaker 1: Charlie Morton I feel better about than Zach Wheeler. I don't care you've broken leg and all. I feel more at ease with Charlie Morton towards the top of my rotation than I do Zach Wheeler. I don't know, maybe because I'm a Mett fan and I've seen so much bad Zach Wheeler in my life. But where was this Charlie Morton in his twenties and early thirties. This is the thing I want to know, Frank. I mean, it is stunning, right, This was a guy who's you know, going one hundred and fifty seven innings, he could barely strike out one hundred and twenty five guys, and then, as you were saying, twenty seventeen happens, and ever since then, we're looking a one hundred and sixty three k's two oh one, two forty last year, two sixteen. Just a stunning turnaround of a career so late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So he had a huge uptick in velocity. I think that the Houston Astros, I mean, they've done this with a few other pitchers, but they really just found a way to get the most out of him. And he's always had that ridiculous curve ball too, So those things in conjunction together, I mean, uh, this is the best that we've ever seen a pitch for really the twilight of his career. So yeah, the velocity and that big hook together, it's it's worked very well for Charlie Morton.
Speaker 1: So I'm in SPA T twenty six on the board. Gimme, gimme, I'm all over it all right, Welsh, give me your first guy for a draft day bargain.
Speaker 2: So I've actually kind of teetered around with this guy because there's this guy, and then I kind of think there's another version of him forty picks later, which makes him an even better bargain. But just follow me here. The guy I picked kind of trying to follow Frank's model as well, of like little high, little medium, a little bit low. I kind of like how he did that with the bargains, because bargains are completely different for all of us. But a draft day bargain I feel like is Ela Jmenez, Eloy Jimenez. We've talked about Joe just because this is a high four category player that you're getting into the fifties or the sixties. I believe he was fifty seven fifty six last I looked on the ECR on Fantasy Pros. Then he can go even past.
Speaker 1: Nine today Welsh, if you could believe it. I don't know what happened, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he went down three spots from when I last checked it this which is literally last night. But we're talking like mid thirty homers. You got the good runs in the RBI. Now the difference the guy I wanted to pick, and I kind of want to throw him in here because I don't believe I want to make sure I didn't incept any brains here yet I know we're not talking about him is fran will Reys, Because fran will Reys, to me is one of the most absolute power targets you need to have in your draft. The problem he has is not every format pretty much just Yahoo. Is he going to qualified outfield? Uh? If you get the outfield eligibility, then I think you're looking at like the cheaper bargain version of Eloy with a little bit of batting average risk but his util. So that's why I didn't jump onto it. You get more batting average and you get an actual fielder with Eloy right now, where fran Mil you're stuck to util. That takes away Otani, or if you take Otani, you can't have fran Mill and that also takes one of Nelson Cruz, who's kind of a bargain. So I didn't mean to like add two in here, but I wanted it to be frand Mill because it's like, holy crap, this is a solid three category high category guy with a little sub fourth. Eloy is four solid categories and probably one of the better offenses. And if he's healthy, he's still young. He's by the way, Eloy, he is a younger than franmil Reyis, which is like unbelievable to think about.
Speaker 1: Eloy is still so young and we haven't even scratched the surface of how good that kid is. And I think, you know, last year, people just kind of rote them off because of the injury, I feel like, and he didn't talk about him and Robert was all the buzz instead. But Jimenez is an incredible talent. I love friend mil too. I wish the run score was a little higher. It's the only thing, like even a couple years ago when he had thirty seven bombs, he only scored sixty nine runs. And even last year thirty Dingers one hundred and fifteen games, fifty seven runs scored. But I'm with you. I like both these guys. I want both of them on my team. And just to get an idea to fran mil Reyis is at one fifty one thirteen excuse me overall in the ECR Oh.
Speaker 2: It's a really I thought he just looked and he I had him at ninety six. What am I looking at?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm looking I'm looking at the ECR ADP consensus right now. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I see on the Fantasy Baseball rankings for mixed leagues. I see him at ninety six, regardless of the point he's there. And you know what, I look at Eloy as I look at Eloy as the backstop to Jordan Alvarez, like everybody wants Jordan Alvarez in the second round it with a give me, give me four category that's Eloy, Like Eloy was Jordan before Jordan was And you can get that thirty picks later. And I, you know, I want to prioritize speed as much as I can on the early front of drafts. So you know, let's say I get a top hitter, I'd like to get another speedy type of guy in the second round. I might start looking at pitchers, starting pitchers and closers in the third and fourth, and you might have Eloy sitting there in the fifth or sixth.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 2: I think I registered the absolute best bargain pick of him in TGFBI. I got the lowest of any in any single league at ninety three. It's an absolute steal. It's it's everything you want out of Jordan Alvarez.
Speaker 1: But just cheaper. All right, Frank, give me another name on your list of draft day bargains.
Speaker 4: All right, So I'm gonna go with a first basement, and he's part of a quartet, a group that I have dubbed the profit pocket.
Speaker 3: So these are just undervalue.
Speaker 4: All four stable, all more of these first basement, in my opinion, are undervalued. It's Reese Haskins, It's Joey Vado, It's Josh Bell, and it's CJ.
Speaker 3: Crohn.
Speaker 4: And if I miss out on you know the Matdilson's, which I'm very likely to do. Pete Alonzo, this is typically the group that I target and Reese Hoskins. For him, it's really just been health. But when he's played, especially last year, he was very good. He hit two forty seven lower batting average. But if you play in OBP or any type of points league, Hoskins excels in that format. He hit twenty seven homers in one hundred and seven games. That is a one hundred and fifty game pace of thirty seven homers ninety nine RBI. I just think that he provides a similar skill set to what you're asking Pete Alonzo or Matt Olsen to do, and you're getting him about sixty seventy picks later. So give me the profit pocket, give me Reeese Hoskins, Vodo Josh Bell.
Speaker 3: I think they're all undervalued right now.
Speaker 1: I would agree with Hoskins too. I think it's unfair. I think the negativities arounding him is lingered longer than it should have because last year was a pretty darn productive season for him. All right, let's go to another one for your list. Wells, who you.
Speaker 2: Got in the ever you know, crazy chase of closers that we're doing this year. I'm trying to help the Fantasy procr and if you draft early closers, just a hint, you're the ranker is probably gonna be me. That's gonna like it. I drafted closers early in ours and it was like, guess what the Welsh likesure draft. I'm like, oh, thanks, man, that's really cool. I'm trying to push those up because you got to get them. Especially if it's rodo head to head, You've got a little bit more wiggle room. There's so many question marks, and I'm not going to deny that there isn't a question mark with this guy simply because the team, but he performed well, and the closer I'm talking about I see at least and you can tell me if I'm wrong. Here a one thirty seven ECR right now of Jordan Romano with the Blue Jays, and the blue Jays are going to be primed and ready for wins, wins, wins, and that is what you want. You want closers with stability, you know, you want closers with great stuff, obviously, and you want closers on teams that are going to put him in save situations, so where people are paying up sickly for Mark Malanson with the Diamondbacks, where he might save ten by the time the trade deadline comes because the dim actually going to be atrocious. I guy like Jordan Romano is cheaper. He's not being drafted as a top five closer. He's more likely than not going to be outside the top one hundred. If you got a league that's, you know, pushing up closers, it might change. I've seen people take Diegos ahead of him. I think Romano is a super super value closer if you don't want to pay the high price, or if you do pay the high price atc Ario, Cohen's projection system hasn't projected at twenty eight saves five wins. You're looking at eleven and a half k per nine on one of the better teams in the league, and they got pitchers that can take him deep. I like Jordan Romano. I think in a crazy closer market, he is a target and he's a bargain.
Speaker 1: Now we tease this earlier, Frank Stamfel, this is your opportunity to defend the honor of Willia doms And I am right behind you.
Speaker 2: I like him for I like him.
Speaker 1: Just no, you don't, No, you don't. Don't pretend him is your guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, adp on Willia Domas one thirty six point eight would not surprise me one bit if he he outperforms Carlos Correa, who's going fifty spots ahead of him right now. As a member of the Rays, Adamis hit two nineteen with a six twenty four OPS at home, and he spoke about how he couldn't see the ball in Tropicana Field and it really affected him. He hit two ninety one with an eight fifty eight ops everywhere else while he was a member of Tampa Bay. Then last year ninety nine games with the Brewers, he basically just picked up where he left off. When he was on the road, he hit two eighty five twenty homers, four steals in eight eighty six ops. And from the point that he joined the Brewers on May twenty second on, here's where he ranked among short stops seventh and batting average tied for third, and home runs fourth and ops. So maybe it's I'm just trusting a small sample sized thing. You know, it's right around one hundred games. But regardless, I like the ballpark. I like the lineup. They've lengthened it, They've added Andrew McCutcheon and just overall a lot of players there that I like. Colton Wong, Luis Arius, I like him there too, Christian Yellich if he can bounce back.
Speaker 3: So I'm buying the adjustments.
Speaker 4: How great he was with the Brewers all park line up, Give me Willia Damas and.
Speaker 2: Let me throw in this as well, with all the jokes. Aside Willia Domas, what could be a winning strategy is if you want to reach a little bit to ensure yourself to get Fernando Tatis Junior. Yeah no, you get William Domas, you get Dansby Swanson, or if you really screw up, you get Brandon Crawford. That's how you cover yourself. If you want to take Tatis earlier than the rest of your league mates, beware it might not happen, but they are the prime that's the prime guy to pair with.
Speaker 1: Fernando Tatis took the words right out of my mouth, gotcha exactly. Once again, we're in lockstep. So now that Welsh went to go get his Willia Doms shinebox, you can come back and give us another player here, because I'm with Frank, Let's go Willia Doms all day.
Speaker 2: My number three actually talked about him last week going through it's really hard trying to find like your best best bargains. But I'm gonna just kind of come back to a guy that we talked about in last episode or with spor I'm sorry the Sport episode where you would say, like, who's the next Cedric Mullen and that's like a really big undertaking and task. But I had mentioned this guy from July to September had the six most hits in baseball during that period. I believe it was a six Sommers, seven stolen bases or seven and eight Amitrosario with the Guardians. I just think post two hundred, a guy that's got twenty stolen based potential, fifteen plus homer potential. He had a great end of the season as far as hits. He might be at the top of a lineup with guys hitting behind him like Jose Ramirez and franmil Reyis. I think he's a bargain and I think he's a target, especially when you're trying to play around with stolen bases, depending how you did earlier in draft. Guys like I almost put Andrew Benintendi on this list, but I kind of like Amitersari just like a notch higher position flexibility. You're probably gonna get short stop and outfield, and you know, I mean, bad things could happen. You might not get the great counting stats, but I don't know. I think worst case scenario, you're probably touching the twenty stolen bases power. That'll be a major question. But you know, people are paying like top one hundred almost for Miles Straw and I know he's elite stolen bases, but a metroso kind of covers you. He's a little bit more of a five tool player. So post two hundred amedros Ario draft day bargain in my eyes, that's.
Speaker 1: Another good one. All right, Frank, back to you, who's number four on your list of draft day bargains.
Speaker 3: So I'm going with Lord Escuriel.
Speaker 4: He's got an ADP of one forty point two and he's been very inconsistent throughout the course of his career.
Speaker 3: Same thing. Last year. He got off to a slow start.
Speaker 4: First two months, he hit two forty nine just four homers six thirty two OPS.
Speaker 3: Turns out he was actually playing through a knee injury.
Speaker 4: From June on, he hit two ninety one seventeen homers in eight sixty seven OPS, hitting the ball much harder. He was doing a better job lifting the ball during that time. He makes a lot of contact. That was even better last year, right around a nineteen percent strikeout rate, and he showed his glimpses right So in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty he was awesome.
Speaker 4: Shortened season three to zero eight batting average and eight eighty two OPS. And he's really the last opportunity to grab an everyday starting player in one of the best lineups in baseball with the Toronto Blue Jays, and I think he's going to hit right in the middle of that lineup.
Speaker 3: Lots of RBI opportunities.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe not a ton of power you're talking about, like twenty five to twenty eight homers, but if he does that and hits for the good batting average, the counting sets are going to be awesome as well. So Lord is Gurriel, I'm in at the ADP one forty point two.
Speaker 1: Good offensive ecosystems are important. It's important in football, it's important baseball. Toronto's one of them. Last year is the first year he got five hundred bats too, So like one hundred and forty one games from Guriel, that's what you want to see again. If you can repeat that number of games you're looking at, I think another twenty home runs, eighty RBI and like you said, maybe there's room for even more, potentially two seventy six last year. If you can get closer to that three to zero eight number and twenty twenty man, what a value he would be in the one forty range right now on Fantasy pros. The Welsh number four on your list of draft Dave Bargains is a pitcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a guy that I just seem to be targeting a whole lot, and he was kind of an anomial last year and it's John Gray who is with the Texas Rangers. Now, I like, I mean, what a difference of ballparks you're going to go through from Colorado to Texas. You've got a lot of offensive port, great defensive support, I think as well. And he's the anomaly because he was worse on the road than he was at home. He was able to maintain a four era in Colorado where he was five on the road. Really bad run support as well. That and I think you get him in Texas, you get him to be the lead dog. He was really keeping the home run ball down even in Colorado. I think he had a home run rate. What was it, It was, yeah, one point two seven per nine, which is solid. He was a little bit walk heavy, But I like the destination change. He's a number one starter, going to get more starts in there if they pick up some cheap wins. I mean, think about the division as well. Oakland is just going to be taking it out right. John Gray, I think is a bargain at almost two point fifty to round out your rotation.
Speaker 1: I got John Gray shares everywhere. I think it's I think it's a great value because it doesn't cost you anything to find out. If he has a good April awesome, maybe you found a gym here and he's been able to turn things around at very least be an Inning Zeter kind of guy for you. And if he's terrible, you caught him in April and you move on to the.
Speaker 2: Prospect pitch, go get like Nicolo Dolo or Hunter Green. If he didn't get drafted, those guys are probably gonna break camp.
Speaker 1: So exactly exactly, and that great point too, about as Oakland is starting to Jennison players. Also, all right, back to you, Frank, give me the last get on your list of draft day bargains.
Speaker 3: All Right'm gonna save the best for last.
Speaker 4: My favorite breakout candidate this entire fantasy baseball season it is Patrick Sandoval, who was inserted into the Angels rotation on May seventeenth last year. He made fourteen starts during that time, three point three to nine ERA one, pin one eight, with eighty six strikeouts over seventy nine and two thirds endings pitched. His fifteen point three percent swinging strike rate in those fourteen starts second best in baseball behind only Corbyn Burns. So the swing and missus filthy, and a lot of it has to do with this changeup that he has. It posted a one thirty nine batting average against with a near twenty nine percent swinging strike rate on that change up alone. So he's got to work on the fastball compan and he struggles a little bit with Walks. Slider is a serviceable pitch. I think the repertoire is there. He's coming off of a stress reaction in his back, so there are some question marks. Is the reason why he's going outside the top two hundred picks. But if he could stay healthy put everything together. I mean, I think there's legit like top twenty starting pitcher upside here for Patrick Sandoval.
Speaker 1: I love when we bring in an analyst and they all say the same thing. So we had Fast and Pollock on a couple weeks ago they were talking about Sandival. We've got Paul spor on last week talking about Sandaval, and now Frank Stanfaal talking about Sandoval. So Welsh, do you like Sandoval too?
Speaker 2: I just sure, why not?
Speaker 1: Let's go all all in, everybody, all of us, We're gonna all held hands with the Patrick Sandoval. But look, if they can get thirty stars out of him and Tani's very good again, and maybe Cinderguard bounces back, maybe just maybe finally get some of those Angels guys finally finally into the playoffs. That'd be nice. All right, Welsh, give us your last guy on your list.
Speaker 2: Let's turn this hat around. Let's get serious here for a minute. Let's turn this around on baseballs. I'm going with a rookie at two eighty nine on the ECR, a guy that I think legitimately can break up with their team. And it's not Bobby Witt Junior. It is Spencer Torklsen. Spencer Torklsen, whom Miguel Cabrera was just asking camp the other day about playing first base and he was just like, I don't know. He's like, I don't care. I will play DH because I want Torkosen in the lineup. You hear Miguel Cabrera is say, I want Torklsen in the lineup. Now, add incentives to baseball for a guy to break camp on the opening day roster, to get extra picks if they finish in the top two of Rookie of the Year. And guess what's really interesting. Bobby Witt and Spencer Torklsen sure would seem like likely candidates to finish one and two if they do. Though I do think Riley Green is a guy who was just as worthy of breaking camp. Torklsen is like, he's not a big, crazy strikeout guy. He didn't do it in the miners last year. He was sub twenty five percent, which you want. He could walk. He's had some struggles with like low end breaking pitches kind of since he was at ASU. It was the first time I saw him at ASU versus Nick Nonzales just before the pandemic hit. But tork has got in sane rob power, insane thirty thirty five plus home run power. You don't know what the adjustments are going to look like. They could be a little bit wonky, but they got Candelario that can play third. Torkalsen it was playing third, but he's a Natural's a gold glove natural third, first basement. He can play that spot, and you might be throwing him in at five or six in the Tigers lineup early on to break camp. So I think when you talk about speculation, what better thing to do than to speculate on Torque at this point, this late in the draft, even though rookies can be a little bit dicey. That's like a pros pro type of guy. Like, this guy is ready. He is bat ready with a position that's there, with a decent amount of support at least leadership that's around him. So I like speculating on Torkalsen on the back end of drafts. Why not?
Speaker 1: I agree? So the names on Welsh's list Eloja Menez, Jordan Romano, A mod Rosario, John Gray, Spencer Torkolsen, on Frank's list, Charlie Morton, Reese Hoskins, Willia Doms, Lauras Guriel and Patrick Sandoval. Great stuff, guys. As ways, you could follow our good friend Frank stanful Over on the Twitter Machine at roto underscore Frank and check them out on the Fantasy Baseball Today podcast. Frankie boy, So great to see you, my friend, and thanks for giving us some of your time today.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you guys for having me again. Two my favorites in the industry of the Welsh and Joey P Together. Happy to do it guys, Love you friend And if you.
Speaker 1: Can't get enough, Welsh and Joey P Together leading off five times a week every weekday at noon, we're gonna be doing that show live on our YouTube channel at Fantasy Pros MLB, So subscribe today to that so you could be in on that very exciting stuff. And of course since you subscribe to our MLB channel, you might as well enter that contest to win an Austin Riley autograph jersey at Fantasypros dot com slash MLB contest and join our discord at Fantasypros dot com slash chat, and make sure you look at possibly upgrading your membership with us too to get all those extra AMA channels and all the extra stages and things you have access to and don't forget to follow. Is it the Welsh on the Twitter machine too, because obviously he's got all this fun breaking Arizona Baseball Welsh bombs all over the place. Baby, I love be a good Welsh bo.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go to spring training game on Thursday. By the way, I just want to point out I'd be at the very first spring training game of the year time at Backs and Rockies. I will be in attendance and I am quite excited.
Speaker 1: There you go, Welsh bombs all over the place. Go check them out there too. That'll do it for us, but the story of the game goes on for Welsh and frank Stanfel, I'm Joey P. We'll see you next time. Kids,