Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome HOMEI All. This is a solo pod brought to you by Angela Rye. That's me. We do these every Tuesday. They are live on YouTube and of course uploaded later on our podcast feed. So Native lamdpod is a production of Recent Choice Media and iHeart podcasts, and we are available everywhere you get your favorite shows. Today we are talking about something very solemn, very somber, very scary, and very real, and it is so important to me that we can textualize this in the moment we're in. Donald Trump has targeted black elected officials. He's gone after communities that are run by people who look like us. He has targeted Baltimore. Now, he has targeted Los Angeles as we've seen, He's targeted Chicago. He has very unfriendly things to say about these cities. And most recently, after many veiled threats after cutting funding for the District of Columbia, yesterday he signed an executive action and issued a presidential memorandum stating that he was going to take over DC. Now, what I want to be very clear about in this moment, is that what Donald Trump is doing with the support of his administration, with the silence and a blind, a willful, blind eye turned to it by the United States Congress. Yes, they are in recess, but we know that special sessions can be called, and that may be what needs to happen after this thirty day window. So Donald Trump issued a presidential memorandum to the Secretary of Defense and the subject is restoring law and order in the District of Columbia, breaking New y'all. The DC area has had as currently sitting in a thirty year low for crime, a thirty year low. But Donald Trump sees this as an opportunity to send in the National Guard, more than eight hundred members of the National Guard, and he says in this memo that it is my solemn duty to protect law abiding citizens from the destructive forces of criminal activity. That obligation applies with special force in our nation's capital. Whereas Commander in chief of the District of Columbia National Guard, I must also ensure that all citizens can avail themselves of the rights to interact with their elected representatives, and that the federal government can properly function without fear of being subjected to violent menacing street crime, and he goes on to say a lot of other nonsense. He goes on to cite section seven point forty of the Home Rule Act for why he is engaging in this at all. Mayor Bowser, in a press conference yesterday, said that his actions are unprecedented. I'm going to go so far as to say they are unconstitutional, and he is going far beyond what his executive powers allow. What is the state of emergency? Sure, that's subjective, but what we know we need to see on every side, from the community to elected officials at the local level, at the county level. When we're talking about beyond DC and the federal level, this is what happens when DC does not have statehood. It is super vulnerable. I'm bringing that all up to say that all of these arguments that we will make today, the conversation that we will have today, will be contextualized in a framework that has existed for many, many years, many decades. When the Congressional Black Caucus went to visit Richard Nixon in nineteen sixty sorry nineteen seventy one with sixty one recommendations one of the recommendations was for the District of Columbia to have statehood. When the National Black Political Convention convened in Gary, Indiana in nineteen seventy two and they formulated a National Black Political Convention, one of the recommendations was for DC to have statehood. When Tavis Smiley convened folks around the Covenant for the State of the Black Union, the State of Black America, one of the recommendations was for DC to have statehood. And here in twenty twenty five, as I sit before you all today, d C still does not have statehood. It has one representative that can vote in committee but cannot vote on the House floor. That is Delegate Noe Delegate not Representative Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton. And now then there's there're still not two sitting senators. And now as the population continues to shift, as they clean house, as they'll do, they'll probably be a little bit more amenable to DC statehood because the demographics will have changed. So it is my honor to bring to you all today for an amazing conversation rooted in community. First, Yes we want to talk to our elected officials. Yes we want to know where they stand. But I think it's so important for us to understand the history of DC, how we got here, where we go from here, and what is required from all of us, whether we live in d C. We have family members or friends who live in DC, but because we are citizens who demand that this president followed the Constitution, that he be law abiding. Somehow we haven't seen it yet, but he find a way to find the law and follow it. I got some great folks for y'all today, So bringing We're going to bring up now Cora Masters Barry, who is a living legend in DC. She has been behind so many amazing movements in DC. You also may know her as the widow of the forever mayor in DC, Mary and Barry, and she has become a dear mentor and I just am so grateful to share time with her today. Welcome, Ms Cora. I'm also going to bring up Tony Lewis, who is an author and activists in the DC area, a heroing story to tell, but cares deeply about the young people who will be impacted by what's happening at the hands of this administration. And also Dionne Bussy Reader who is the CEO of Far Southeast Family Strengthening Collaborative. So thank you all so much for being here today. It is my highest honor to have you and to be in conversation with you all.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I want to ask you all first, just given where we are, how are you feeling? What are you seeing and what are you hearing?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Can I start by thanking you for the work that you do? Angela. I've watched you for many many years. You my sister's mentee, friends, Tamika, you guys are you know, you all are on the front line and I'm so proud of your power of the people tour that you all did over the summer. So yeah, I'm I'm in. I'm up in the age, but I don't even worry about it anymore. I used to worry about what was going to happen to our people. But if you guys is in good hands. That's one thing I want to say. Another thing, you know, I'm always starting with, I'm a political scientist and a historian, and so you did my job for me. You look at you knowing the history, doing the research. I'm giving you an a for that paper. So then that just makes me just come to the here and now we know the history of what we struggle with down through the years. And I always feel that if you're going to talk about a topic, you have to have a conceptual framework for it, and you set that. So at the end of the day, we have a city that is run very well by black woman and her third term and many many other black marrors have done the city well. We have a chiefer police. There's nothing but the truth and all of those things that you're speaking about have taken place. The clime has gone down, the cyndic thrives. But like any other jurisdiction, especially and in this country with the proliferation of guns, we have some problem with our youth as they have all over the country. But if you notice that our dear president has has targeted cities that have been led by blacks and in this case black women first you know Los Angeles, then then Muriel and we know what's next. So yesterday I'm in Marcus Vineyard by the way for the public. I don't walk around looking like this all the time, but she called me on vacation. I had two hours to give, so I stopped to do it. But yesterday I was a fundraiser for Angela Ulsobrooks and for Lisa Rochester and so, and in the in the MC for the program was the former mayor Sharon Pratt. So as it turned out, that fundraiser for them turned into a whole thing about Washington, d C. And the point that she made that I think everybody should just hear her perception. And she's right that this is not just targeting us, but it is the begin of taking over cities and we are the start. And I said, I know we had problems with black people not stepping up when they had the immigrants when they're doing immigration because of all the anti blackness that we always say that the brown community has. But we don't have the luxury of not standing up and fighting for anything like that, because when they finish with them, they'll come from us. And here we are. Here we are. So I'm heading back home early to organize, and I've talked to several people. A call to my community to bring the parents under one roof. I need our children to get out the streets. This is supposed to be a thirty day thing, but we'll have pull our children off the street because I'm telling you, the arbitrariness of this is very, very and I explained to people, people will die. Let's you know. I know about home rule and all that, but at the end of of the day, I just saw a picture of a young black man shackled or on a curve. Bye bye. People who don't are not supposed to be police in our streets. So I'm just I've got a clarion call. I'm on, let's talk to our communities.
Speaker 1: And I want to act sorry, Miss Cora. I want to ask you. An Toni and Diana promise them to get to you y'all too, But I want to ask you because you did talk about the history. I know about the history from reading about it, right. I know about it because I believe kind of intuitively that it's the right thing to do. And I know and have seen, just like you all have known and seen what it means for black folks to be disenfranchised and to do it in a way that is strategic. But I really want you to also talk to us about how this is something that has been seen before, not just in DC, but even globally. Right, like the first thing that came to mind and Tony and I talked for too long earlier today I kept him on the phone. I said, Tony, you know, my dad was an activist around anti apartheype movements. And what we're seeing even when these cars are being stopped by Howard University, not by Georgetown, not by GW, not by American as Tony brought up earlier, when they're being stopped, I'm thinking about pass laws. You know, is you're having to prove yourself, You're having to prove that you belong. Some of these students are just moving to campus at Howard yesterday, that's their first day on campus. I can't imagine what these parents might be feeling. So ms Corey, if you can talk to us about how this has been seen before and are there things that we can rely on in terms of best practices to survive and navigate in this moment, because that's what's most important. It's gonna take Congress at least thirty days or now twenty nine to do anything about this.
Speaker 2: If they are going to do anything about it, well, this is why I tend not to get on these shows because I get in trouble. But if everybody know this han or in this country. Have you seen the movie Origin? Did you see the more or Origin? When that movie was over, I said to Abe Duberne, it's a great movie, but you stopped at the movie didn't end if it should have been it. If you're going to talk about seeing these kinds of things, then you have to go back to India how they did their untouchables. You have to go to Germany, how they did the Jews, and how you have to go to Palestine to see what the Jews are doing to them. Then you have to come all the way back and work your way back to the United States of America. And let's not forget slavery. So we have seen it over and over again, and then that was replaced by Jim Crow and so suppression, oppression, segregation, all of that. None of that is new. It's just the most recent version of it. And anyway, I can't talk about it a lot because I'll get upset. But I've seen by people treated like they were doing the brown people that they were doing the so called immigrants. I've seen that, So I'm saying they did us like that. And then I said, where are the Jews' voice? Because that's what happened to them in Germany. We've all been a victim of this, so we can't act as if it's not us. So the first thing I thought when I read this, well, really, actually they kept it from me. They didn't tell me about it yesterday because I knew what I've said me, so I, you know, I just started getting just to go over to the sun Raison. Then my phone started ringing and everything started blowing up, and the only thing I could think about is, let's protect the children. You know, democracy big deal, but our kids are going to die. And so we've seen it, and we've seen it in the South, We've seen it in Germany, We've seen it in India, we've seen it in Palestine. We've done it over and over again. But what has to happen is in this strategy, we need to protect our kids. We need to stay home and let the activists for demor for to be in those streets because they won't kill them. They already suffled around the White House. You know, a C.
Speaker 3: L U.
Speaker 2: I love them all. You know, all the white people who are demanding not to be suppressed by the national government. They're in the streets and they should be in the streets. They should be defending democracy while we defend our babies.
Speaker 1: M You know, I want to come to you, Tony, because this was a point that we talked about earlier, the deep concern you and Dion have for the children. What are what is the message to send to parents, regardless of income level, economic status at this point, what we know is that these officers don't see whether or not you have a Jack and Jail membership, right They don't. They don't know what income level you have, whether you at to school, don't care. All they see is the color of their skin. What are you What is your recommendation right now? What message are you sending to young people in DC?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Again, thanks for being here. And we're trying to explain not only to parents and young people, but also people that UH community viles interrupters, H credible messages to let young people know to minimize UH interaction with law enforcement, minimize verbal altercations with law enforcement. Clearly UH cease or if you are involved in any criminal activity, UH cease any criminal activity, and do not indulge. And I'm not talking about just youth, but even young adults. Don't indulge in any public use of alcohol or drugs, you know, So so we can try to sort of keep them any interaction with law enforcement because to Mama masters Bury's point, we know our young people in this city and and those interactions can take a left turn really quickly, and I think they law enforcement has sold in some ways been licensed to do whatever they deem necessary, and that's a very dangerous place for our young people to be. And so we want to continue to push that message of you know, engaging a lot of the city activities, you know, utilize our Department of Parks and Repregation, neighborhood Safety and Engagement offices, the Southeast Tennis Center and all of the sorts, and stay out of stay out of home's way.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and Dion, same question for you. I know that this is also something literally when Ms. Coral was talking, you said like that was something that really resonated with you around their children. So what's the message that you're sending to parents, two kids, to communities of young folks who may be impacted. It's still the summertime, it is they should never feel this type of restriction in a democracy, but especially not now when there's already so much impression of our people no again.
Speaker 3: Thank you Angela for the opportunity to be here. I am also one of those mentees of Missus Barry when she's not mad at me, because she does put me in my check. She checks me quite frankly. It keeps me aligned and I need her so I like everyone else, this has just devastated me. And I live in a city like everyone else, I live in Ward seven, which is also a part of Southeast And last night, after we got off the call with you, the very first thing I did is sent a very direct email. I have over sixty employees that service at least ten percent of the population that's struggling in Ward eight specifically, and I have a lot of my staff that are activists that are angry, that are heard, that have children that live in these communities. And the very first thing I did I thought about them. And I'm very prayerful about what I say to people because they have to take this message and they have to move forward to the families that we serve. That I was very direct. I said, avoid confrontation with the National Guard and FBI, remain calm and do not engage in adversarial discussions. Do not drive your car with marijuana and smoking marijuana. These are I was, I'm very direct. I said, these are the messages we have to send to our families. Pay close attention to your surroundings and where where you are, and support each other and stay connected and identify by our organization as a hub and a spot for people to come as a refuge. We're going to be opening up our doors. So if we have young people that we see on the block of MLK and Marion Berry Avenue, We're going to galvanize them and push them inside my building. I'm going to be that direct and that deliverate because if we don't, our children will die. And my fear for our families is that at fourteen, I don't know if I always listened. Right at fifteen, I don't know if I always listen. So children who think it's funny to put up their camera phones and take things, we had them. The actual group, FBI and the National Guard jumped out yesterday on Minnesota Avenue, or across the street from Boom Elementary School where we currently have an office. My staff was deficit. They didn't even know what to do or what to say, but call me and this is a young group of young people, so instantly, I have to put in place a calming mechanism, one to eliminate yere. I just told someone, I can't let fear talk me out of what faith talked me into. I have to create a very safety net of resources for the families that we serve. We have to yell at the top of our lungs to get our babies to stay home or be in those safe places where they feel love, they feel nurtured, and find activities to keep them engaged. I eat the parents as well, because we know that this is not the type of government that we're dealing with federally that's going to protect our children.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 3: They're looking at them as as the actual perpetrators of crime and not victims.
Speaker 1: And you and Tony both work in the like the violence prevention space, and I just want to call this out. I'm yes, ma'am, but you do everything, and I deal with these kids. I know, Okay, Well, then all three of you that I want to call out this particular this particular point. According to the Metropolitan Police Department, homicides dropped by thirty two percent between twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. And this says that there's been another substantial drop this year of twelve percent, so additional twelve percent this according to data, This would not have happened without some of the work you all are doing. And I think even in this moment, the reason why you all could send these kinds of messages and be effective and be persuasive and convince people to do the things you're advising is because of this work that y'all have been doing. So if you can for a moment talk about that and how you will utilize some of those same skills, some of those same tactics to get people to be responsive and do the right thing in this moment where they're being challenged on every side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, just real quick, you know, non law enforcement public safety measures have contributed to the downward tick and and all of our numbers. It doesn't always get the credit, but it has, and it's gonna take more than just in constantration to make uh community safer. We need people to thrive, we need people to address their trauma, we need people to become more economically stable, and a lot of these efforts has contributed to that, and we're we're seeing the success Unfortunately, we even seeing you know, some of the grants that came out of the Justice Department around that focused in on supporting community violence interruption has went away, but DC has continued to support the efforts and it's barred fruit and I hope that it continues. And that's what we need as we take these steps on the law enforcement side. We really need to understand that a holistic approach is needed, a public health approach that we've been doing, is proven to have impact, needs to continue to be supported because if what happens, like if people and you know, we're making an assumption that even having more officers or the National Guard is going to make the community safer, Like that's a big assumption people are making when we know that's not just the answer. So it's so much more that can be done. And I wish that this administration will open up lines of communication with folks like us on this call and others to really make a real plan to make our city the safest place that it could be. You know, I echo Tony Cinnamon, and I have to say, Angela, how do you tell the story of the shooting that did not occur because of your intervention? Like These are the stories that people do not realize when you talk to all three of us on this call. I mean the organization that I represent. We deal with the issues of the trauma, the case management, supporting families, building case plans around what that family were like for themselves. Missus Barry does an outstanding job and ensuring that babies are kept in a safe place with a curriculum that's not just sport based, but academically based to enhance the lives of these people, and many of them are the parents that we're serving. Tony does the work in the space of returning citizens. Many of the families that we deal with are part of that that entire spectrum. So it's together that we're able to impact the families that we work with.
Speaker 2: It's all of.
Speaker 3: These resources that does actually tell the story that we can decrease crime. Many of these individuals I've employed, right, many of these individuals have now become certified for prevention specialists with evidence based curriculums that they have actually accomplished and now know how to deal with the trauma, and not just the trauma, but the economic disadvantages that our families are facing. So we got to deal with the entire and that's what we do collectively, and that's the story that our city understand, and our mayor is constantly putting resources in. Our Chief of Police just stood up a program working with my organization, working with the Southeast Centers Learning Center to figure out how do we actually impact and decrease those crimes, those victims and those individuals who are perpetrators, who are children. So we are standing up these programs and we're seeing the work that's being done, but the story about the shooting that's never happening because of the work that we're doing. It's never told and we know it works, and that's the problem that's really hurtful to us. We've seen a decrease, we've seen live change, and we've gotten people employed. Some of our families are now business owners as a result of this intervention.
Speaker 4: So that's how it decreases.
Speaker 3: We work collectively, We work as a team, and we all unite our forces around saving our babies.
Speaker 4: That's what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree with that. That is why I'm working with and you guys are talk to offline putting together what we call a village meeting, bring the village together. So we can all hook up and let one the parents know what's going on. Also, I talked with the chief. She called me last night. We talked for about an hour and I was voicing my concern about the safety of our children, and so what she has agreed to do that when we pull this needings together, that she will make sure that there's a police officer or somebody from MPD who will explain to them exactly what's going on so they understand what to expect and what the police to do and all of that. So all of that I think is a time sensitive thing. So thank you again, Angela for bringing us together. Although I was going to get on the plane tomorrow and come back to Washington, d C. I've already talked to you know, the ne regulars, Wendy Ron. We're pulling the village together so we can do all of these things they're talking about and let the parents know just what the imminent danger in the situation is and if they want to drag their little hard headed children with them, they can, but right now we're telling them pay attention to these things. This is a height and alert and we're all in the different places where we can reinforce it. So this is very helpful.
Speaker 1: Ms Cora. I want to come back to you for a moment because one thing that we hear from marye O. Vowser often is that she was mentored by your late husband. I want to know you know, and it doesn't have to be what you would tell her offline, but what you know he would do in this moment. How would he step up when the administration is essentially saying that she cannot run her own city, that this city is I think that the bag Dad was reference right, Like, there are these things that are being said that are inflammatory, that are untrue, and that have I won't even say racial to undertones. They are racist overtones. They are fog horns. So if when you're hearing these things, how do you think mister Barry would have responded to Donald Trump's allegations and his actions.
Speaker 2: You have to remember when Marion came back for his fourth historical return to office, the first thing they did was clamp on a control board so that he would not be able to in effect in power. Were enriched black folks over what he had been doing for the last thirty years. But I think maryel is doing what she's I think she's being smarter and I think he would tell her to keep a powder dry, and she is doing that. She's being but she's also standing up and being very intentional. I mean, she has such a rod enough back yesterday, I don't think she'd ever beended again. She was strong and she was decisive. But you have to be smart. You do an inside and an outside strategy. So you have people like me and Dion and formers this and that, and we're the voices. We can say the things that you just said. And she needs to just make sure she keeps eye on the prise and and the police department is reporting directly to her, so deployment is important. Where you you know, the National Guard, I don't know where to go. Somebody got to tell them. So they have a role that they can play that could be very helpful. So I think she's being very smart. I'm very proud of her, and I'm disappointed and the people who have hated on her and wrote terrible things like when when the president said pay over Black Lives Matter Plaza while she caved, Are you serious We're gonna sit there and fight over over some words? When we got billions of dollars on the line and the words were wait for over. The should have been going a long time ago in with you, in my opinion, because if we did his job, we have the theme and let's just go. So you know, when she does the job she has to do to protect the city and not Pope Pope the bear, she gets criticized for it. Everybody wants to her to stand somewhere with her right hand up and there and then we'll all go down. She won't go. Nothing happen to her. It'll helping us. So I think she's done a great job of protecting us and I just want to put that on the record.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, it's core Tony Dion. I want to come to you. Well, it's just it's a slight change in the question. Given the fact that she's mentored by uh Mary and Barry. I want to know if you had the opportunity, and I know you all speak to her often, but for the people who don't know that you do, what are the things that you're telling her to do right now? If you were asking her to pivot and we all need pivot. It doesn't mean that we're hating miscor, but there have been folks who have said, you know, I wish this could happen, or wish she could do this, or has she considered this? These are important considerations. We all need those because we can't. We're not all seeing and all knowing at all times. We not God. So what are the things that you would recommend? Like, I just wish that you would pivot in this way, or consider utilizing us in this way, or get some young folks, whatever it is. I don't want to give you all ideas. I want to hear yours.
Speaker 4: No, I understand your question. I appreciate that question. The one thing I think that in this moment I think could be a silver lining is that and a maya often talks about DC values, and of course she's a Washingtonian right throwing through, but because of her role as the mayor, sometimes there seems to be a gap or some distance between her and some of the constituents, right some of the residents. And I think in this moment could be well utilized to connect to those Washingtonians that have seen or felt more distant from the mayor, to be able to say we're in this together, I'm here for you. Here are the instructions like at that village meeting, if the mayor could show and talk to those parents and say, I'm going to continue to try to give you as much information as I know on how to keep our baby safe. Not your babies, but our babies. And I think in this moment, that's the type of leadership that the city needs. Of course, you know, she still has to do all the things that Ms Burry just talked about, right, and things I think that the average citizen couldn't even fathil. But I think we got to make some space to go and touch the people in that way.
Speaker 3: I agree with Tony if that's the same question. I also agree with a statement that Tony made on yesterday is that we do these small mini press conferences throughout the entire city. Only mentioned that yesterday, and those spaces where we know we can reach our young people. And the second thing I've asked and I'm going to continue to ask, is the messaging. We have to say the same messaging. And there's some things that I believe her insiders can say to us that we can say to our community that she cannot, and we have to be the spokespersons for her in this space.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think we have the best police chief I've seen in my time. I do believe that this mayor is the mayor that we need for the day. I support both our mayor and our chief of police, but we have to be their mouthpiece. We have to say what they can't say to our families. I wear two hats. I have a business as well, that's in a very popular part of the city. It's a new establishment. It's called Sycamara. And oh, we have a huge amphitheater. We need to have a village meeting there. What missus Barry is doing should not be the only meeting. We should consistently have these small village meetings throughout those places in our city where we know we have pockets of young people that hang.
Speaker 2: We have parts.
Speaker 3: It's a young people that see.
Speaker 1: You know, we can't.
Speaker 3: Forget that a lot of places these kids can't go because of the beats. So we have to be where they are, and we have the personality. We have the staff, we have the personnel. It's necessary to get to those trenches where we can speak directly to the parents and say the same message. My fear is that our messaging is going to be off, we got to speak the same language, because if we don't, the kids won't listen to us, neither with their parents. So if I had to offer to the mayor, those would be my suggestions having additional village meetings. I like that missus Barry and give us the messaging that we have to say that she can.
Speaker 1: I love that well. I really appreciate you all time. I knew having you all on would be the right thing. You know, our natural business to call on elected officials. But the reason elected officials work is because there's a whole community behind them, and you are absolutely not only the right messengers but also the right workers. And so I just I thank God for everything that you're doing in DC and beyond. Know that you all inspire me and you would forever have a place to call home here at Native LAMPI so welcome home, y'all, and I look forward to talking.
Speaker 2: To you again. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's stay safe. Will absolutely thanks y'all. Love y'all, this has been just a really insightful conversation, very very grateful for the time of Ms Corra Masters, Berry, Tony Lewis and Diane Bussie Reader a business owner. You know, folks, who have entities that house our young people are all over DC, and folks who have direct relationship with Mayor Mauriel Bowser are willing to go challenge, uplift and encourage, but push to do the right thing. I can't imagine the stress and the courage that it takes in this moment, the stress that she's under, the courage that it takes in this moment to do the right thing, to make every single decision calculated. And the one thing that we know from protests, from those of you all who are also raised by protesters, is the chant the people united will never be defeated. And so in those moments where things are the most challenging, but you can always call upon are the people. The only way you can call upon the people is if you keep them close. So, y'all, in this moment, I encourage you to keep your people close. Make sure you remember that if you all are not just close, but united, if you are on the same page, you don't have to be the same sentence, but on the same page, the people united will never be defeated. I have a good one. Flcahom, y'all. Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.