Speaker 1: Look Mayre, Oh, I see you am I own look over there is that culture. Yes, goodness, Lost ding Dong lost CULTURESA is calling tactile, tactile. This is one where I'm gonna need to be tactile with my sister throughout. I'm gonna be clutching. I'm gonna be clutching. Uh huh. I have to say, like, this really is a moment in podcast history, not lost culture, podcast history. I think this is.
Speaker 2: Someone who well, gosh, we're just talking about our guest already.
Speaker 1: I mean, because usually Bowen and I will sort of catch up, but here's a peak behind the curtain. We went to lunch, so we did all that. We did all that. Bone's here in Los Angeles really for this reason, really for this reason. And and you know, we might go to Universal Studios, so I might take bow In to Super Nintendo World, which is very exciting. That'll be big, That'll be very big. I'm happy to support Universal and BCU. This is we have an NBC Universal icon with us.
Speaker 2: We do in so many but this is a I think this is someone who is well regarded and respected and has gotten a lot of different things going in different parts of this indust.
Speaker 1: Trust, media, conglomerate, cross media. This is a Disney icon, this is an NBC Universal icon. Huh, I'm imagining.
Speaker 2: I want I want to say, I want to say, like BBC.
Speaker 1: I think BBC would do well. I'm sure there's been a BBC thing. Absolutely, they should court the guests because there hasn't been a BBC thing that needs to be a BBC project.
Speaker 2: Definitely there's been. Yeah, she's on brit Box somewhere. Do some brit Box.
Speaker 1: I don't know that all the British.
Speaker 2: TV shows for Americans to watch. Oh okay, great, great?
Speaker 1: So can I ask you about the BBC?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what is that? Like?
Speaker 2: It's sort of like not NPR, like is it public? It's it's British broadcast. That's I don't I'm not the right person. I thought you would be an anglify having spent I need a little break from the UK.
Speaker 1: Got a little bit.
Speaker 2: And that's no, that's no, that's not knocking an entire country, especially like aren't we a little bit saturated with UK stuff right now? This whole Kate Middleton thing is getting me all kind of confused.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, did you believe that that body double was her listen to that? You know what I think? Now?
Speaker 2: Well, apparently the body double has spoken. I don't know what she said, but I saw something today that was like, the Body Double has spoken.
Speaker 1: Did it sound like gate? I did not. I don't.
Speaker 2: I think they just meant like she has she has broken her silent. The Body Devil said, if I speak, what if the Body double sounded like, Hey.
Speaker 1: It's me. The Body Devil has like Fran Dressers, sounds like a gay guy. Frand Dresher, Oh, it sounds like a gay guy, which Frank Trusher does, kind of a sound like a coach number eight. Frank Treusher does kind of a gay guy voice. But I was a woman's soprano voice. Our guests a celebrated voice. Can I say, I think underrated voice in some households underrated.
Speaker 2: I have only ever put it on a giant pedestal my entire life.
Speaker 1: Talk about the guest place in your life. Culturally from the ages.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is this uncomfortable? It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter. We're not concerned about her comfort. Yet she doesn't exist yet in the podcast space. So the think about DVD culture VHS culture. Here we are home video culture in general. I'm pre streaming. You really would have your rotation, Yeah, wouldn't you say? Did you have the five CD changer?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had that. We had that for sure. I had our guest self titled in the changer for sure. Like it was like in the in self titled. Self titled was really like so real, was like, okay, it was so real, So really you're like with this, this is someone to watch.
Speaker 2: But then self titled was like here we go, like what are the influences here within my pocket? You know what I'm saying? And that was on and now that that's how you now. It's still when you get on now, that's how you know. That's how you know you're of now. You're of now. Yes, that's a rule cult they still make now. I think they still make now. That's a real culture number seventy seven.
Speaker 1: When you're gone now, that's how you know you're of now. And we've talked about coverage at length. At length, I really liked do you no longer find no streaming anymore? Which is totally fine. I'm in de lee. But then, but then the last two.
Speaker 2: Albums have been The Lime as well and the last album was with the husband Sublime Musical Artists, Informative and to say nothing of the A.
Speaker 1: And the reason why we even like went off the way we did was because we were talking about j Lo as sort of multiphen it icon. Yeah, but our guest, it's really been there all along, j Low level, jy Lo level. And so she shakes her head, but I shakes her head. But it's it's correct. And I saw that out of my peripheral and I'm not happy about it. I'm not happy about the lack of respect for us, of respect for respect, your respect, your space you have. Here's what I'll say. I believe my favorite movie as a child was A Walkdrop. Remember this is what I was saying in the days of home video. It was it was once a week. I would watch it, Yeah, once a week. Oh yeah, if you wanted to let it out, that was a sobfest. There's a line read of our guest in Shane West in the car and for some reason to two syllables one word go seat belt telling telling Landon to put a seatbelt on. And we're going to get into that. I want to know, was that Shankman on set being like shake and hey, hey, you gotta tell Shane to put on his head at him, Hi, Adam. I always see Adam Shankuin at the Hollywood Equinox and he's always dancing on the floor and then you go up to him and you're like, what's going on, girl, And he's like, I'm choreographing next week's episode of Drag Race. At any given time in the center of the Equinox, Holly would choreographing Dragon Race. Anyway, our guest has gone on to become an Emmy nominee for This is Us. You can now stream Doctor Death. It's out now on our choice. Peacar, You've never been thriving harder, Peacock. Congratulations on vander pump Roles being back. I bet that's huge for you guys. Have you been watching. I have not. I've really fallen off to fine, but I think it's probably just time. It's time to bring and we've been buzzing all day. In fact, in the car, I was just smiling to myself and I looked over and Bowe was also smiling to himself, and we were listening to Only Hope. And you are in luck everyone, because today we are welcoming to the podcast the one the only man.
Speaker 3: That was one of the most time sweating so much I had in that same room while people are talking about you. I'm so beyond flattered. You have no idea. I'm so thrilled to be here.
Speaker 1: We're so excited you're here. And now I feel like you have to take the moment that you've been wanting to take for years.
Speaker 2: Do we what do we wait for later on in the podcast to work up to this question? I feel like you can wait.
Speaker 3: I feel like we can. Let's but let's wait the Zenga thing, babe.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think let's just like talk and catch up and then I'll work it in. Let me believe that you're not edging. Oh I've waited like twenty years of this. I feel like, what's another like twenty minutes. I'm curious to find out. But all right, okay, Well, I think we got out of our systems that episode where we really just like bust the doors open in terms of our Mandy love and we're just like, oh my god, and to say nothing of like saved and like.
Speaker 1: Like mister wedd and how to how to deal.
Speaker 3: It's like endless list of accomplished list face honestly, like I don't have words. It's beyond.
Speaker 2: But don't you feel like it's like I feel like maybe you you just need to hear it more often from people.
Speaker 1: Do you wear it?
Speaker 3: No? No, But that's okay. I'm almost forty. I've been doing this since I was fifteen. I'm like that, to me, is success like just having this kind of longevity? Yeah? Absolutely, same. I don't know, it's it's so strange. Like literally, I told you bo and I almost drove off the road because I listen to you guys every week. I'm like, all right, it's Wednesday, IM in the car. I'm like running errands, and then you that I heard like it's segue and I heard my name and I was like, wait it was out. I was like, are you are they talking to me? Like I had this like existential crisis where I was like, I think they're just talking to me. Can everyone hear this?
Speaker 1: I was like, I wonder if like someone's going to hear and let her know. I'm sure if she actually does listen, because you never really know if this will be a shock and she'll drive off the road and to hear that that almost happened.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's okay to everyone on.
Speaker 1: The road, yes, who was Also, we have to think about too safety the thing. I hope we don't say anything too crazy right now because some of y'all are driving, and I hope you're not watching this on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Drive please don't watch the driving. But you were like recording from the scene. You were like in the car, like.
Speaker 3: I pulled over? Yeah over? Thank you for safety first. Yes, sure, do.
Speaker 1: Identify as a good driver.
Speaker 3: I think I'm a conscientious driver. Yeah sure. I mean in LA you have to sort of be defensive driving. Yeah, yes, yeah, did.
Speaker 1: You learn defensive driving? I learned defensive driving.
Speaker 2: The only thing I remember is nine and three instead of ten and two, which I don't think means anything anymore, like three hand placement on the steering.
Speaker 3: I feel like ten and two feels way too high and is way too high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like I've gotten flat in the past for like someone in the pastors being like, you're holding it at the sides, and I'm like, isn't that where you're supposed to do?
Speaker 1: I've never heard nine and three in my life.
Speaker 3: I haven't either, but I feel like that's where my hands tend to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did twelve and hip. No that doesn't just twelve and hip. It's defensive and my him, I let them what is defensive driving exactly? It's when you drive scared.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like when you're just like high alert.
Speaker 1: Truly high alert. Yeah, stops not just at stop signs, like stop most of the time, very much below the speed limit, right, yeah, because we all know it's culture that we can pretty much at all times go like five to ten over the speed lert. Sure, sure, great, I was just making sure I wasn't all Now we're all in agreement. Yes, this is the thing about you guys in LA. It's like you guys get to drive to work, which is sort of nice, Like it is like that lifestyle. I like the routine of it for sure, but you probably are all over the place, like when's the last time you shot in LA? Was? This?
Speaker 3: Is us in La La? The best?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sleeping in your bed every night like that is the gift of all gifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they don't do it anymore. Doctor Death was New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which was great, but he's like the whole family relocated. It was so much fun. It was like a real adventure. But yeah, I mean, there's no place like home. Being home is the best I know.
Speaker 1: Do you like New York or are you like an LA girl?
Speaker 3: I love New York. Yeah, but I feel like I checked that off the bucket list for now. It's a young person's town. I'm too old. I have kids, Like, it's such a different thing to be there now, Like with my family it was. I mean, hats off to anybody who parents in New York. It is so much more difficult just to like schlepping a stroller down the subway. Like it's there's so much that you don't think about here in La. It's like you have a car and everything sort of exists in the car, and it's different exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you ever done Broadway or theater? And I would die That's I was just gonna think abou ultimate that's one day.
Speaker 1: It feels like such a natural watch to watch happened?
Speaker 3: Yet I wonder not the right project?
Speaker 1: Have they come to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah for things that like just weren't quite right, And I was like, no, I gotta save it totally.
Speaker 1: You know what you'd be amazing doing if they do well? Yes, Baker's wife, you'd be great. Yeah, but if they ever did waitress, Oh do they ever pitch you waitress?
Speaker 3: They have they have it? I mean I do. I love it. But I was just like the timing was right. There's you know, all those things have to sort of line up.
Speaker 2: If we came to you with a jukebox musical of your own work, not I mean.
Speaker 3: It comes down immediately.
Speaker 1: What if it was really good, we have a really good story.
Speaker 2: And if it was like if it was if it was on a meta level, like really cool, like it was Mandy Moore as Mandy Moore, like trapped in her own jukebox musical and she's like, get me the fuck out of this.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fine, that could be interesting. Yeah, I just came up with that off. I like that, okay. And the music is sort of like more of like set pieces and helps tell the story of different points of like.
Speaker 2: A classic juke box but like in terms of like I don't mean to speak in sweeping generalizations about your life and career, but it's like you have had all these different chapters and seasons that like it would lend itself very interestingly in terms of the variety of it. It's like you get a pop song here, you get like a like a rock song.
Speaker 1: Here, you get like.
Speaker 3: Saying, Taylor Swift still errs for me. No, No, that's.
Speaker 1: That's what you just said. I mean, like it's just I think I might write this.
Speaker 3: Honest to god, I'm I'm so down to see I mean, just going.
Speaker 1: Straight to the great a book, Tony, They're dying to.
Speaker 3: My god.
Speaker 1: Here's the question though, like do you have a song from back in the day, because I know my favorite and it's because it takes me back to literally like my childhood bedroom, which I want to be with you. It was so like it allowed me, like I don't know, well, wow, like a little gay kid to like act out those feelings that like you had to like not have or talk about with anyone, but like having a crush like not to quote another one of your songs, which is literally that, but like that was like I'm surprised that maybe people don't like tell you this more, but like very very formative and memorable from like being like a kid experiencing that song. Like it's very evocative, and your voice has like always been so evocative, so it's not surprising that you did the Disney Princess things, because you have such a color, there's so much color in your voice, and you're such an actress like you've always been in the way that you say.
Speaker 3: Ease, Louise, thank you. That's so kind of.
Speaker 1: You, what I do mean it, And like I wonder if you have a song that's like from back then that like if you had to sing it now, like you wouldn't be too mad.
Speaker 3: I want to be with you. I feel very similarly to you that like it really echoed what was happening in my real life. I was sixteen when I recorded that, like totally, it very much mirrored exactly where I was at that juncture of my life. So I think back on it really fondly as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking about how coverage was you were nineteen eighteen or nineteen to go into that endless vault of like I can really pick anything to cover, Yeah, but it was such a well curated set songs that, like at nineteen is like incredibly wise beyond your years, as they say, I'm like, I've just always been curious about and coverage can lead us into the Zanga question because I feel like coverage was around when the Zanga popped up.
Speaker 3: Got it so okay, but don't answer yet.
Speaker 2: But first I want to know, like what went into Do you remember what went into like selecting those songs?
Speaker 3: Well, I knew that I was sort of at the end of my relationship with my record label, like I had one record left to give them, and because there hadn't been like tremendous success, it kind of allowed me the freedom to do something like this and just to come with them, like come to them with this idea, like I'm going to do this cover record, and then that's my obligation fulfilled. But I really loved this idea of taking music that I had discovered over those last few years and introduce it to people my age and maybe a slightly different package, you know than the original songs, and then maybe that would influence younger people to like go and discover Joe Jackson and John Hyatt and Joni and Carl and stuff. I mean, it didn't necessarily work in that way, but it still exists in the world. And I'm like I had to put out a record with like a Todd run Grid cover like it was. It was so much fun and I like checked that box with the label and said my goodbyes and like moved on. So it was it was kind of perfect yea class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that will also forever be such a chic choice. So that's what I'm saying. I've done. Was it two albums at that point?
Speaker 3: I maybe three? I think.
Speaker 1: So then you do this album that's just like your contemporaries of the time, which everyone sort of was saying at the time, it's like it's Brittany, it's Christina. More like you probably felt a type of pressure to like compete with.
Speaker 3: Them, or that they they were always in such a stratosphere like above me and beyond me that I never felt that competition. I always knew that I was like my record label's answer to them or sort of, but because they were so wildly successful and I never really reached it in quite the same way that it gave me more freedom. So I didn't feel that intense pressure of like, now, how do I follow up Candy. It's like Candy did what it did, but it wasn't you know, some of those my contemporaries like huge hits, and that allowed me to do stuff like coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, so can I now ask, yes anymore? Was that your zanga page?
Speaker 3: I was positive you werena y.
Speaker 1: So positive.
Speaker 3: I'm really sorry, are you Okay? Wait wait can you tell me more about this and tell me the years.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So coverage was two thousand and three. Yes, that was like two thousand three.
Speaker 2: I remember, like it was sorry, it's like so the design was like it looked like it was from like the label.
Speaker 1: Had set it up for you. It was.
Speaker 3: I literally tried to Google it and was like I misspelled it. It was I was like, what is.
Speaker 1: This a mga?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: It was of the day of like live it was, and actually the pre live journal, I want to say. Okay, two thousand to two thousand and three four was like the heyday. So you would just have your you know, this was back when the blogs were called weblogs.
Speaker 3: Yep, sure, and you.
Speaker 1: Would just like post an entry like a day was like your little digital diary every day. It was not every day?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, whoever kept this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: But can I just say the only the only thing that gives me pause is that I did, like I was very involved in like message boards and writing stuff. So I'm like, I wonder if this was something that I'm just because we're talking twenty years ago, if I'm just misremembering, like I would write something, send it to someone on the labe to the label or something, and they would post it, like I think it was back in the day where that was still like kind of rudimentary Internet. I definitely wouldn't have known really how to use that, totally totally so because the phrase that you mentioned, which was did feel very unbre Yes. So all of this gives me pause. I'm like, I didn't I don't remember Zenga. But I'm also like, maybe I'm real and like I did keep track of like hey I'm on set. Hey, this is what I'm doing with my day. I'm so there is something that feels vaguely familiar. I wish I had like a concrete answer. Ye, it's a maybe.
Speaker 2: Wow, or it's like a Schirdinger's cat, like it's kind of in this existence quantum state of like correct quantum state.
Speaker 3: If someone out there is like, no, I'm going to come forward and say I was the author, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But I have to say, if you are that person, you lock them up the shadowing you so closely. Yeah, that they had young impressionable children thinking that Mandy Moore was live learning.
Speaker 2: This is exactly out of a Satoshi con movie called Perfect Lay, which I told you to see. It's this pop star who transitions from pop to TV. Oh wow, this is like in the nineties late nineties. She transitions in Japanese movie animated movie. She transitions from being in a pop girl group too going on a television show, and then like one of her stalkers writes a blog, starts a blog writing in her voice, and she reads it and she kind of gets confused about like what her own experiences versus what someone else is like writing for her to put it mildly. But at one point, whoever this person was, did write in your voice saying all of you guys saying that it's not me in the comments, all of you guys not believing that it's actually you guys are so silly.
Speaker 3: That was not meat.
Speaker 1: I'm dying that is so I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Were all scared to death? Now, Like, did I just like put something? Did I just really terrify us? Okay, great, this is twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: But also like, how sad? Why do we do that.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though I felt a deeper connection with you, even though it wasn't even you, Like what does that mean?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I think we're talking about a time too where you weren't just like famous people were so famous, Like I remember, like when there was that pop idol worship of the late nineties, only two thousands. Yeah, that had to feel cuckoo banatas it did.
Speaker 3: But also like I feel like it would be crazier to be a young person finding success now now the access people have via social media. It's like that's the difference. Like that was the only platform in which like you could receive communication from someone, right besides like watching them on entertainment tonight or like on a premiere red carpet or something, or reading about them in a teen magazine once a month. Like there was so like little information out there about people that we lived and died by, like the little morsels that we would get. Yes, and now it's such a wild different world. I wouldn't know how to navigate being a young person with like all of the just like just the content that's constantly out there. There's no prime there's no you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right now instead of a more soul, it's like everyone is expected to throw out like the full pig, every soule hog, you know what.
Speaker 3: I mean, all the time, constantly, there's never enough to satiate people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And it also feels like even in the work, like because back in the day, it's like you could sing Candy or Brittany could sing Baby One more Time, or Christina could have Jenie in a bottle and it would just be like a song, like a pop song. And nowadays it's like Olivia Rodrigo and like the young Girls. Now it's like it all feels like it has to be part of a larger narrative about them, and we're so aware of the narrative in a way that has to feel I would imagine as at the very least like a little disorienting, if not like very very almost like dysmorphic in terms of your own image. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's such a good observation. Yeah, it's different. It's like, yeah, things existed in such a like particular box. Like I think I was very much allowed to be a normal fifteen year old and go to the Beverly Center with my friends or go to Universal studios or like hang out and be a teenager and then like put the work hat on and be, you know, have the adult responsibilities that my friends didn't have. I had like the best of both worlds, where I just don't know if that's possible. And quite the same way.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, sure you were they encouraging of you moving intacting or was that something that you were like, I really really want to do this.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think like record label was really aware. They didn't really care. But the other like folks in my sort of immediate orbit and my parents and stuff like, they all knew that that was something I had my eye on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice.
Speaker 1: Well, remember it was the first movie, right, Princess, you were the villain.
Speaker 3: The villain. You were the villain.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Any memories from young Anne Hathaway and you on set an adversarial relationship.
Speaker 3: I remember her like walking into the trailer, always singing in the morning. She was trying to flex on you many No, not at all. It was just like she was just sort of happy and like just like doing little vocal trills and stuff like. It was very it was very cat It was really.
Speaker 2: Cute, and then he had Sandra yelling at you to get off the iconic the best two people I love the most, just like interacting with each other.
Speaker 1: And movie holds up, and I guess now they're doing a third one. You should absolutely come in.
Speaker 3: People have asked me, They're like, so you're gonna be a part of it. I'm like, in what way would that make any sense?
Speaker 1: I don't know. We could make a big choice where your character is like the president or something big swing swing. We should write that too. We're gonna write that. Listen, if there's not a script, come on, give us a crack at it. Please, come on. I mean we watch that. We have to do it. We have to do it.
Speaker 2: You would watch that and in that one correct and it would maybe.
Speaker 1: Be in the jukebox musical.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love it. Anything you guys put your hands.
Speaker 1: On famous last words. But wait's okay. You do Princess Diaries and then you have your first lead role, which to remember, So is it something were you, even at that age are reading scripts talking about I like this or I like that they okay.
Speaker 3: And going on meetings and auditions and all of that. For sure. Yeah, but I had read of course, this Nicholas Sparks book. It was like targeted for someone like me, my age, and I was like, I have to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I had an audition and then I had a screen test with Shane and Adam, our dear friend Adam, and that was it. Wow, the book was period, right fifties. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, I think that that movie had such a stronghold on my attention at that time that I did read the book and that was a big difference that was in the past, right, Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how long that shoot was? Was it like five weeks or is that it was I want.
Speaker 3: To say, maybe like two months. Maybe it's a tiny bit longer. Yeah. In Wilmington, North Carolina, it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like I mean, just the ending, like uh, I can't see him, but I can feel and then like cry playing. It's so icon So when when you watch that in the movie theaters where you're like you kind of got.
Speaker 3: No. I just it was such that experience left was such an indelible mark on me. It was like, do you guys ever have that like summer camp experience where you're like, I will do anything to relive that and you just like push that bruise just to feel it, just to remember what it felt like. That was the first experience I'd ever had with like, I don't know if anything's ever going to feel like this again, like the people the material, like how much it meant to us, and then in turn, for like young people specifically to find it and for them for it to resonate so deeply with them and continue to resonate like next generation after generation. Now it's somehow finding that film that was I'll just I'll never forget that feeling. It's like you just you're like, I'll chase that for the rest of my life feeling that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what is it about that movie? I mean, besides like the quality of it, but is some like invisible force there that like drives someone like me to like watch the commentary multiple times?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I talked about this when we were like tasking about you, like you and Shane and Adam Shankman just not really even caring what's going on screen, just and be like, oh, Daryl Hanna's wig is crazy, and.
Speaker 3: It was it was the I remember, even at the time I was like this.
Speaker 1: Is normal human. I think what it so clearly was was the chemistry between you and you have you obviously it's a compliment to you, but also like you seem to have really great chemistry with a lot of your leading men, but like a lot of your co stars, like you really do you you find a connection as a viewer and like almost everything you do, like you seem very like committed and connected to your scene partner.
Speaker 3: That's that is very beginning. I mean, let's say Shane was a tremendously easy person to pretend to be in love with it as a screen do you know those lines blur and you're like.
Speaker 1: This, I was gonna ask, Yes, it's such.
Speaker 3: A crush on him and.
Speaker 1: Ends like even when you're an adult on a movie set, like we know, but like.
Speaker 3: That's there's like an electricity, that's something that like bubbles up there for sure, and then hopefully it translates on screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then like your body just doesn't really know the difference most of the time though, yeah you know what I mean. Yeah, it's like it is just like a somatic response of like oh, like yeah, Lena Dunham was saying this one time, like she would like have a megazzee with someone and then like go home and be like I'm in love with that person?
Speaker 3: Do I really like.
Speaker 1: In love with them?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, what is It's what a funny little business, funny world. We're in the.
Speaker 1: Only kissing scene I've ever done on camera was with a straight guy, and I remember I felt like a little robbed of that. I was like, because no matter how hard I.
Speaker 3: Try, one day, one day, yeah, yeah, yeah, one day I see that for you.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I have to say, like when you do walk to remember and like, because I remember the response at the time was like, oh hey, red alert, red Alert, one of the pop girlies is actually good at this and like and like, okay, this is happening here right there. So then comes like Saved, which is so iconic, and you keep going there's chasing Liberty, et cetera. And then like fast forward to now you're this like Emmy nominated actress, Like is that what drives you in terms of careers, Like you're looking for acting stuff or are you generally still open to everything? I know you did release an album a couple of years ago, but like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean acting I think is the thing that's always pulled me, and music has always felt like my side piece, Like it's the thing that my side piece that I'm like most passionate about. Probably but because I never found the same sort of success, nor did I ever have aspirations of like wanting to do like arena tours or anything. I was like, I don't want to make that kind of music, gotcha. It's always just sort of existed in its own little box, which is great. It's like I can lean on it when I want and I'm looking to be creative and there's not a lot percolating in the other areas of my life. But but acting has been the thing that's like really creatively I think sustained me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, now I'm waiting for in seven months you release like a huge arena. It's like you representation, like with a shaved head, which stomping out like.
Speaker 2: I feel like, I mean, is it fair to say that like you kind of got swept up in the music to begin with, Like within a year of like you being like discovered, was it like like just growing up in Orlando and the like, it was like, hey, we got songs for you, Yes, And then like within a year you're like touring with them, saying yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Went from I remember watching in Sync, like I have very visceral memories of watching their like remember that Merry Christmas, like watching like getting ready to go to school, almost done with like or like how through my freshman year, just about to leave to go start recording my first record and cut to like six months later opening up for them on their summer Amphitheater tour.
Speaker 2: Looking back now, like twenty plus years into the future from that moment, what is like the takeaway? Like is it like whoa, what the hell kind of rapturing was that? Or like, obviously you're grateful that like it'll happen, but like on some level, like does that inform like the relationship with music now where you're like that was something that was like happenstance a little bit, and like now I get to actually decide sure how I want to like move forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm, like you said, incredibly grateful for this absurd opportunity of getting like plucked from obscurity and given this like platform. But sure now twenty years removed from all of that, almost twenty five years to think like I can make my own choices creatively, like I can make music when I want to, when I like I feel inspired to. Again, like that to me is the metric and measure of success.
Speaker 1: You know, this might be a good place with the question. Yeah, so you mentioned growing up. The one centerpiece question we ask here on Lost Colature is Manny Moore, what was the culture that made you say culture was for you? So this meaning that thing that you can look back and you're pretty positive like you started to form in a personality, your personal way around that thing.
Speaker 3: I think it was Disney movies.
Speaker 1: Oh thank god, and that how wait, how well did that work out?
Speaker 3: The Little Mermaid specifically was like the thing I remember being about six, and that coincided with seeing like my first play my school did, like the sixth graders put on a production each year at like the big touring theater where all the Broadway shows came through, and they did Oklahoma, and I very again viscerally remember like being in a seat watching the girl who was Laurie saying, Oh, what a beautiful morning, and I was like, I looked around at the audience like in awe of how great she was, and I was like, I'm doing that. And then I like would go home and I'd sing along to the Little Mermaid like that time was just like very formative, and Little Mermaid led to obviously like Beoting the Beast and Aladdin, and I was like, I have to do this, like the music, the acting. Like there was something about the combination of both that I was like, this is this is what I have to do.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh amazing. Was this Orlando at the time?
Speaker 3: Orlando?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like and Disney itself kind of looming being in the air, Yeah, in the backyard factors in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Ish, Like I had no idea that the Mickey Mouse Club existed or like what that was until years later. So I just like randomly happened to truly just be a kid from Orlando. I had no like other connections to like the business or anything. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then so I mean years later, do they come to you with Tangle?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, I auditioned you did, Yeah, And I was terrified. I was like, ugh, what, like this is all I've ever wanted my opportunity to fall dreams And you know, like Disney wasn't doing musicals then they had really like sort of gone away from that. And then like the Princess and the Frog I remember, was like the first sort of forway back into like the classic Disney musical, and then Tangled this Rapunzel story was the next one, and I was terrified. I just had this album that you mentioned earlier called Amanda Lee come out, and I was like, well, maybe that'll bode well, Like they can listen like I am a musician, I am a singer, like they'll be able to reference that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I just remember like going in for the initial audition and it was terrifying. And then I was in New York and I had to go in with Alan Mankin in New York and like sing some songs with him at the piano, yeah, which was also terrifying. Guy, Yeah, exactly, Yeah, Beauting the Beasts like all of that, like classic Disney, And so I somehow got the part.
Speaker 1: But then when you get in the room and it's you and Alan, does it somehow melt away and all of a sudden become fun like oh yeah yeah, and you're like whoa, Like.
Speaker 3: You were at Capitol rec down the street like performing doing I See the Light, like with an orchestra with Alan Mankin, like the first time that Zach Levi, who plays the male lead in the film, like that we actually work together, sang it together. Yeah, in separate rooms, but I mean for the rest of like a movie. I mean, you guys have all done animated stuff. It's like you're by yourself. You're yeah hard, it's so hard. You're doing your lines with a director sometimes just by yourself, like multiple times. So to like have the chance to actually sing that song a duet with him.
Speaker 1: Was the orchestra there, that's Jesney. You can do it like that. I feel like with the budget wise, like yeah, you see do you see videos of them like creating it, Like I believe for Frozen they released videos of like Adina singing whatever song it was, and like there's people there like Adina and Kristen in the room together like that was. I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: Magical, it is. Yeah, It's like that's what it should be if it's Disney. So you're doing it right. When you go to Disney.
Speaker 1: Now do they roll out the red carpet?
Speaker 3: I feel like you get your sort of opportunity to have a tour guide everything. Okay, But so I'm just like waiting for my kids to be old enough to really appreciate that, and like, you know, I understand my my older guy is three, and he just sort of like understands. He's like Mama singing, like he kind of like he's sort of understanding.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I'm going to say something that could be construed a certain way, but I really think that, like for all, like the gargantuan success that Frozen is was will be like it needed Tangle to like set that.
Speaker 1: I think Tangle needed to succeed.
Speaker 3: In Beaver four, I think so too, Like I think it opened the door for the Disney musical Gain to sort of come back into fashion. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: And I mean you really bent that whole movie towards Rapunzel and like her life and like what she wants. And it's just I love that movie so much. I still get chills when I listen to the reprise of My Life game both of them both well oh yeah, but like when she like literally touches Grass for the first time, you know, it is so good the way that shot kind of works, and like it's just so so good. There's a Kingdom Hearts three level that takes place in Can we.
Speaker 4: Talk about this, Let's talk about please, let's talk about can we talk about that?
Speaker 3: So I had no idea.
Speaker 4: What I was doing for Eric for Eric Oka say.
Speaker 3: What this is because they might not know.
Speaker 1: So I had I had also referenced that and my discussion Final Fantasy seven and Rebirth, and it's this big triple A video game that's come out that's like been you know, anticipated for years and it's now you I think you understand that she is one of the most iconic video game characters ever.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Now I'm okayn't at the time, but like at the time, it's just Kingdom Hearts.
Speaker 2: This is the crossover game between Disney and Square Enix, which was the Final Fantasy Games sort of maker and an all star cast truly like Hailey Jolosmon playing Sora you know, I hate him Penetier and then Eavid bory n As with Squall from Final Fantasy and I think they had Oh Condet Kelly what's her name from even stevens Oh played you Fee anyways, So then you play Aris, so you play Arith.
Speaker 1: What was that.
Speaker 3: Experience like well as a non video game, I just I didn't know what I was doing. And I think because like it was the first edition of this game. I just like went in, did my job and that was it, and they came back to me asking me to do it subsequently, I think for like the next version, but I couldn't because of scheduling, and I guess they just like continue to reach. Yeah, but like other people have played this character.
Speaker 2: I say, and it's not just because you're in the room with me, like you are my preferred voice for Erath.
Speaker 1: Thank you even to this day. The new Girl is lovely. There's something new Girl. There's something about Mandy Moore doing Erath that is like that just that's that's it, right, And like Eric is like the savior of the planet. She is like pure, pure, like sweetness and love and joy and whatever. A two hour day of work for you imbued that character with exactly what it needed. Hans.
Speaker 3: Hans thumbs up, don't you agree, Hans?
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I'm glad I could give you that joye and joy. I'm literally going to live with this like horrific guilt and shame that I had nothing to do.
Speaker 2: That's plea an ounce of guilt. It's just isn't that such a funny story?
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 1: I wish a way that you like were like, I'm gonna wait to answer this question. I was like, Oh, that's gonna be such a moment when Bowen finds out that it was her and for you to say no. So it was so good. I love it perfect. Well. I funny you mentioned the guides because I just went to Disney the other day because Joelkimbooster, our friend, was working for a Hulu thing and they're Disney, and so they offered him like a VIP guide and so I'm the kind of person that goes to Disney and I'm like, sort of, it's me and the guide. We're right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then everyone asking questions talking to him, We're planning the trip, we're doing the whole thing. I've taken you.
Speaker 1: Yes, we went to we went to Orlando and did the guide, and like, I love it. I get so like in the weeds with like sometimes now I feel like I want to be on the app, like these crazy apps like you'll you'll know when you have you taken your kids. Yeah, yeah, so you know you have to be on the app. But no, you have the VIP guide.
Speaker 3: Yeah she doesn't, No, I do. I bought the tickets on the app once for sure. Yeah, what I'm saying is like, oh, looking to see like how long weak times are?
Speaker 1: Definitely culture is so it has it's really captured like Disney. It's like it's like you have to be down on the phone and then you go. And the way that I like can activate in it it is by being like right here with the guide totally. But the other day I went to California Adventure on Saint Patrick's Day. It was a beautiful day and I have to shout out Jasline, Jasline, you rock. She was our guide and she was amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, Jaslyin, is this is the second time this week that you've told me of Jazlyin.
Speaker 1: Because I connect with these people, I think about when I was a little kid, how much I would love like I can't think of anything more than like when I was a little little kid. You might remember this, like you remember Universal Studios in our land they have the Jaws Ride. All I wanted to be was a Jaws ride boat the captain Captain.
Speaker 3: I literally am off book on it to this day.
Speaker 1: Wow. And we did a show. We did a show at UCB or so you will get wet. Well, you will get wet or I played someone who was a musical and I played someone whose dream it was to do that, and then Bonn Yang played the shark. I played Jaws. Yeah. Wow, she was amazing as the shark.
Speaker 3: Damn, I really missed that one. Yeah, you should have come to twenty fifteen. I would have. Okay, but Little Mermaid is like Rain Supreme for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Dody Benson, something about that tone of gosh.
Speaker 1: We saw her at a gay bar at three am in New York City.
Speaker 3: One was she doing on three am?
Speaker 1: It was with her daughters, her daughter's birthday. It was three in the morning. We have we just seen sciss I wasn't there. You guys had just seen Scissor or something. And then you guys went to Flaming Saddle something wild like we went to go see like the Sissa concert. I think it was my birthday last year, and then we went out afterwards. It was three in the morning, and.
Speaker 3: You recognize Jody Benson.
Speaker 1: One of us did, and maybe Aaron Jackson did, Like, I think that's Jodie Benson. Sure enough. It was like every day taking their turn to kind of go over to her and be like, I just want to say, you change my life. You being here is an honor. Everyone telling her that her presence at the gay bar at dam was an honor in her Disney voice.
Speaker 3: Like thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm just here with my daughter though bye, like gig eyes, like can I just can I just live? And then of course like it's blazing saddles, right, flaming saddles. Okay, So at that bar, they get up on the bar and they like do a little dance and they were all little mermaid and I was like, that has to be she was living her life for sure, totally imagine some musical theater majors have come up and belt.
Speaker 3: It in your face though, Yeah, for sure, how does how does that go?
Speaker 1: Usually?
Speaker 3: I mean, I love it, come on, I encourage it. For sure. I wouldn't be I wish I were that bold.
Speaker 1: I know. Do you think going back, you would have gone to like musical theater school one.
Speaker 3: Hundred Yeah, yeah. I went to a stage door almost like the musical theater camp. Yeah. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 3: Really formative experience. Yeah. And it's crazy the people that you run into in the business who were like, I'm an entertainment lawyer, now and I'm a casting director. I'm like everyone and I went to stage or I was there like a year before you were. I was there during your summer. It's like everyone's peppered industry in different ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, any any fun people from your.
Speaker 3: Natalie Portman, oh were your friends? No, we were in like the Little Cabaret Troupe. I mean she's a little she's a few years older than me, which you know at that time that it was a huge for sure. It's like please, but we were in like the little cabaret troupe together where we went and performed at like the like free labor at the Catskill Like yes, like nightclubs and stuff. It was free labor. Yeah, we like went and performed like a two hour show like Medley for for a bunch of people at these Catskill hotels. Amazing, hilarious.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a pretty good one. That's a really good one.
Speaker 2: Like at a certain age, you were like just jealous that you weren't going to stage door right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think I knew of anything until later, but I remember like hearing when I went to college it was like, oh I did interlock in. That was the other one or I did whatever the fuck like you know what I mean, Like it's just all these things. And I remember feeling when I was in college like it didn't matter what I did, I was going to be behind everyone else. And I would imagine that we all have that to some extent where it's just like you always feel like, well, I can never be this because I don't I haven't done that. Like I don't know when I got over that, but like I don't know, like like those little things of like you we don't have like acting training or like so you can't be a serious actor, or like did you ever have like imposter syndrome?
Speaker 3: Like it all the time? Still? Oh yes, I mean I feel like if people say they don't, they're lying. Everyone has that to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you ever get to that point where you're like not nervous before you start a job, or like you don't leave a take and be like, oh god on it.
Speaker 3: Maybe if you're like Merril or something like that. I don't know, but I kind of like it. It makes me feel like I care about something, like the stakes are high, you know, if you just like reframe it in that way, Yes, that like you just want to show up and be your very best. Like it's I don't know, I kind of like thrive off of that. I know that, like I'm pouring all I need to into something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it comes out of like just accounting for failure. Yes, you're like, oh, this could go in a way that I don't want it to, and therefore I shouldn't do this. And it's dangerous and it's like all these evolutionary like lizard brain things that we like think about. Yeah, it is a dangerous thing, not like physically, but like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, when I was a kid, I didn't sorry, I didn't interrupt. When I was a kid, I didn't think about that. Like I I can sort of visualize being fifteen and walking on a stage in front of twenty thousand people like a Backstreet Boys concert. Clearly that audience is not there to see little O Me. They're there to see the Backstreet Boys. But I had like no fear. If I were to do that now, I would ship myself. Like I I don't know what it is. I mean, I guess it's what you were just saying. Like I didn't recognize the stakes at that point. I was just like I didn't know what I didn't know, So there was just this giant like unknown of like I'm gonna go up there, and I love this opportunity and I'm gonna you know, and.
Speaker 1: I know my steps exactly.
Speaker 3: Doing the dancing exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen fifteen and then the boys are coming out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, They're gonna fly across the audience.
Speaker 1: Right, were you sort of more in line with the in Sync or the Backstreet Boys fandom and you can answer now.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like I was Backtory Boys. Yeah, like that was millennium that right, Like that was just a moment and they had their show was like in the round that it was pretty stellar.
Speaker 1: It was good. Yeah, I think I saw like I never went. I wish going back, I had gone to more of those types of shows. My first I never saw the Spice Girls. I will always kick myself, like if they ever reunite again, I will go the one. But I guess big pop star I saw. My first concert ever was Mariah Carey first concert. Yeah, but like I never saw Brittany never. I saw Christina in Vegas years later, but like didn't see Backstory Boys or in Sync, So I'll never know, like that type of insane fandom. But then again, we did go to the aerostour, and I don't know how it can get crazy.
Speaker 3: I don't think it gets crazier than that historically crazy.
Speaker 1: Are you a swifty? Sure?
Speaker 3: I will say I don't know her music like well, but I cannot imagine the joy that she brings so many people like that. That to me, I'm like, what an incredible gift to be able to spread that kind of joy to the world, Like that.
Speaker 1: Is what is a super power, like a very joy. But I think that's what kept me going back and back and back with Experience. It's so fun and every.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like wow, to be in control of that like collective mood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There is some sort of charm that happens on the audience. It's it is almost like a magic trick, like and there's times that she's doing things that you're like, Taylor, come on, Like when she points at the audience, She's like, let me see what this does. And she points at the audience in the crowd screams and you're like, there's something about that, but it's really happening. It's just so funny, like having that type of of that level. It's like, I can't imagine what it's like, but like probably she did walk out there and think like another day like you did at fifteen.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah at that point, yeah, you're like, this is my life, this is what I've adjusted exactly.
Speaker 2: I feel like your last album, like writing with your husband, must have been like the diametrically different thing from like starting out in music, where it was just like Okay, it's just like give me what you got, I'll learn it. Like yeah, not to discount like your process and like making those songs.
Speaker 3: I had no part of that process. It truly was an anar person saying you're going to record this song on this day at this place.
Speaker 1: This is back in the day. Yeah, there was no dy Candy was not like.
Speaker 3: No, that was just like that was a song that they had found and you were going to go and record it.
Speaker 1: How hard was it for you to go give it to me the first time? Or were you kind of like, no, yeah, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna give give it to me.
Speaker 3: Because you gave it. I don't remember. I just remember the spoken word part. I'm like, you know who you are? Is this weird? It feels weird even I think it's underrated.
Speaker 1: I think it's aged like a fine one.
Speaker 3: I think it's really good.
Speaker 1: I think it's really good, and I think it's up there with Christina's Did you want to be the One Tonight? Do you know exactly what you like that? You need a spoken word? If you're gonna be a pop star of that era, you need the spoken word. Bridge.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll take you, and you have it.
Speaker 1: You did it, You got it right of the way exactly. You checked the box.
Speaker 2: And I will say before I forget, the video for Crush came on one time when we were on a family vacation with another family and there's a quick moment where you're like fully closed, I might add, just like in bed with like the guy, like the love interest, just kind of like playfully flirterly, like you know, PG.
Speaker 3: Like very peachy, very PG.
Speaker 1: But the fact that you.
Speaker 2: Guys were lying down in a bed was enough to ring every alarm bell for one of the mothers, where she was like, no, we're.
Speaker 1: Turning this off.
Speaker 2: And so I I do associate you with like a sort of like mischievousness.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not supposed to watch man anymore.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, thank you for imbuing me with something I definitely don't have. Like it like I'm the most boring vanilla person, so I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was like I think you've, like really you have a stake in every single area of my life from various times, and it's like, so it's amazing to talk.
Speaker 1: That's very special though, because like I will say, like for and for some reason, when I say this, it sounds pejoriti off. It's literally not like for millennial people, like you are truly a pop culture icon. And then like to see like like I'm on set with Ray Ramano yesterday and I told him like, oh, I'm doing it this episode tomorrow on my podcast with Mandy Moore, and he was talking about how much he enjoyed you and this is us and like, you know, my parents are so excited about this because they love this is us and like you've really gotten to touch a lot of people with your talent, like and that is like that's really cool and they're very special.
Speaker 3: Very special. Thank you, guys. I'm gonna remember this day for a very long time. When I'm having a low moment, I'm gonna be like.
Speaker 1: Like I do about this is us Like, was that the most challenging thing you've ever done?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: That must feel nice for that to be. Like also like the most I guess on paper like acclaimed thing is like sure, or.
Speaker 3: The most recent at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what I mean. It's just like you get this like big opportunity, and it's like, not only is it difficult in terms of what you're actually doing, but also a ton of people see it. Yeah, like that's a huge, huge hit critically commercially. Yeah, and it went for a really long time, and so then you have to keep it interesting for yourself and also maintained the way they heighten the way it gets difficult, like the age range gets bigger, and the way to keep it surprising for the audience gets more challenging because people are aware of I guess so many words, the way it ends like and I would imagine that like that has to be looking back on that as like a whole body of work, Like is that like the thing in your career that you're the most proud of for sure? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's I don't think I've ever been a part of something that's been as long running. Yeah, and has also touched as many people like that I'm aware of as a project like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and also Milo and Milo he never it never will get old to me looking at that man. Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am not a bad scene partner.
Speaker 1: No, that's what I mean. Like, also, great actor, such a good actor, yes, I mean I remember from Heroes. He was so good in Heroes.
Speaker 3: Did you ever watch Heroes? I did not. I didn't watch Gilmour Girls either, So you had a blind spot. I had a real blind spot. I was like, I don't know anything about you, but let's like jump into being a husband of my Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's probably good though at a certain point, like when you don't know too much about someone or like you can't be like I'm working right now with Lisa Kudro and Ray Romano and like Linda Cardellini, and I'm like, I don't understand how I'm going to like not.
Speaker 3: Talk about the comeback act like me towards Scudro.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But you do it?
Speaker 1: Sure, who's been the number one person for you that you're like, I can't even believe this.
Speaker 3: That I've been around, Yeah, that you've worked with that. I've worked with Diane Keaton. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that was like hard to ever sort of separate, like you are Annie Hall like First Wives Club, like I that was. That was and she is just everything you want her to be though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's very warm and also like idiosyncratic, funny, correct.
Speaker 3: But like so deeply maternal I think at her core, which is why she's so good at playing a mom. And she would also just show up the set in like the most incredible outfit, just like the hat, the gloves, like at six am when I'm in like sweats and like wiping the sleep out of my eyes. She was just like in a full look.
Speaker 2: Of a time. She's of a time and a culture and like a mindset. We're like, no, like you show up in you yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, consummate professional, like yeah this is her world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, that is the best. That is a Alzheimer. Yeah. Robin Williams, what was that one?
Speaker 3: Wonderful? Same, like never got old being around him. He was constantly on which I remember thinking like I wonder if that's a burden to feel like you have to show up and perform and like be that person that everyone expects you to be. Because he was just always cracking jokes, like always sort of yeah just on, but so lovely really kind as well, just like very very warm, very much with like family. Man. I loved loved working with him.
Speaker 1: Very cool man.
Speaker 2: I miss yeah, like the culture would just be a little bit better.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, I was thinking of myself on SETH the other day, like just how easy he made everything look, but yet his comedy was so it was so obviously comedy right, Like it was like he was playing things hard, but it always looked really easy, like in a way that Jim Carrey is like too, Like it's like like a heightened groundedness yes, yes, like where you realize like they are just acting as themselves.
Speaker 3: Sure, and yet it's good for the.
Speaker 1: Camera and works for everyone in real time. Like that's a crazy thing to be a lot of plates spinning a lot of plates. Yeah, but they did it very well. And I am and I am, Oh my god, Something you Gotta Give is gonna get rewatched immediately.
Speaker 3: It holds up, it really does. That's one of those movies for me, like anytime it's on, I can't, I have to watch the whole thing. Her Face Journey when she delivers the line to Jack Nicholson, this was.
Speaker 1: Lovely Nights. Oh, and she just.
Speaker 2: Like, are you doing like five different faces within like two seconds?
Speaker 1: I can't do it, but it's it's so like it. I know. I didn't. You know, I didn't. I didn't, it didn't.
Speaker 2: But I watched her performance and something's gotta give before we shot by her eye and I was like, how do I like portray like heartbreaking this way?
Speaker 1: And she like does that so?
Speaker 3: Well? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: You did watch that Fire Island?
Speaker 3: Yah? Yeah? And I was like, this is such a good movie.
Speaker 1: What gets you in? Like? Are you a music person in? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 1: Do you have a secret artist? No?
Speaker 3: It's like it's weird when I was doing This is Us because I had to cry a.
Speaker 1: Lot all the time.
Speaker 3: I would often just be like driving around like with my you know, like music on shuffle or whatever, and a song would come on and it would just elicit some sort of activate something, elicit some reaction, and I'm like, well, I got to remember this one and then lo and behold. I would like go back and try to like mind that, like what was that feeling that I felt there? And if you have some sort of association to a song or just listening to something like trigger something in you. I'm the kind of person that's like I'll listen to it like ten times in a row. Yeah, just sort of like get into that place.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So that's funny that you bring that up, because I remember I had there was a crying scene in Fire Island, and I really struggled with accessing emotion like that, Like it's one of those things where it just doesn't come super easy to me. I feel like you're very good at it. I don't know about that, but I feel like sometimes I'll get so frustrated that the frustration makes me cry, and I like, I guess I'll just use this. But I literally remember saying to myself, I was like, should I watch a walk to remember? Because I was like it literally used to solely exist for me as an outlet to Yeah. Yeah, yeah, literally like just to just to have the thing of like I know, it would feel amazing to release the feelings I have right now, even if I didn't have words for them or words for why I felt like I wanted to cry. But it was like there's something to that too, like that art existing as like a just a release for people. Yeah, again and again and again. It was that movie and a movie called Heart and Souls. I don't know if you know that movie. I don't, iconic movie with Robert Downey Junior and Kira Sedgwick and Alfree Woodard like in the early nineties. Like one of my goals is to like at some point like that movie or do something with that movie. It's so great. Like there's four people who passed way in a bus crash in the fifties and their souls get attached to a baby, which is Robert Donney junior, and they're with him all the way until he's an adult, and they watch him grow up and he sort of becomes like this difficult adult and suddenly he's able to see them, and you find out that they have to use him to do their unfinished business and so like it's about like all their relationships together. It's like a comedy but very heartfelt and it is such a tear jerker. It really is like the definition. And every time like someone doesn't know this movie, I ring the bell because I'm like, this never talks to me. I think I have, but like I sometimes bail on it. You ever have that movie like that's just yours. Yeah, and you sometimes bail on talking about it because you're.
Speaker 3: Like, oh god, I don't know if anyone's gonna get this. What's that for?
Speaker 1: You? Do you have that you think of one top of yeah exactly, but like this is this is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I'm no curious Edric a little bit because we're friends with soci her daughter, and I literally said I was like hurt and Souls and she was like, oh wow, no one ever says that one.
Speaker 3: And I was like, this is what I'm saying, Like, no one ever.
Speaker 1: Says that one special.
Speaker 3: I got to watch it. It's good, It's really good, Like she has this model. I get the end.
Speaker 1: I can't. Everyone watched it. The Reader's Katie's Publish's finalists. You're gonna love it. Oh, I guess this is what we should tell you. So upcoming is the last Culture says Cultural. It's a category called Record of the Year. Okay, one of your songs has entered the conversation.
Speaker 3: It has Gardinia. Oh wow, you guys.
Speaker 1: We're we're in rehearsals, rehearsals for Guardinia. We've been rehearsing today.
Speaker 2: We're gonna rip it up on stage because you rip it up on that record.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You opened all the way up and sang that song, and the words are on a grounde with your full treest, with your full test you gave it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it's like in contention for Record of the Year.
Speaker 1: It is absolutely It's up against tough competitions. Singles Soon by Silinas.
Speaker 3: Well, I know that's your that's your jam.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know what else is nominated.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forget, but I think the front runners are single Soon and Guardidia.
Speaker 1: Just Guardenia is that is a stand and deliver good old fashioned thank you, healthy ballad.
Speaker 2: The wild Hope, Wild Hope, Wild Hope is one of your best thank you streamers.
Speaker 3: For a while, it wasn't And what is what that just record label?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But that is? Is there a story behind Guardeenia at all?
Speaker 3: Like my first heartbreak, which is ridiculous. I just sang it at a show a couple of weeks ago, and you did. I did. My husband was like, who's this person that, like you made love on the floor with. I was like, we don't need to know about that, but this was like my first love and you know, those relationships that loomed so large, and we had gone through this breakup. It was so traumatic, and I was working in New York and I just remember, like God, the poor people that I was working with, like laying out the drama of my life as if like it was the worst thing to ever happen to anyone, that no one else had ever been through heartbreak before. Yeah, it was ridiculous now thinking back to it, but I just, yeah, remember taking like walks through Central Park by myself, like having this real just time being in the city for the first time, like living there, working there, and trying to like heal from this just awful event in my life.
Speaker 1: It's been good.
Speaker 2: Getting to know me more is such a good lyric. It's such a good it's great. I mean that was that walk till Taylor could run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if that's not Taylor Swift, that's why it's denominated the year. This is huge.
Speaker 3: It's guys, I'm like floored for an almost twenty year old song.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you, I was just listening to it the other day and I was just like, this goes awful in a way that I honestly had forgotten. Wild hope. I was so soad. I mean you were sad.
Speaker 3: I was so sad.
Speaker 1: Are you a very deep feeling person? I can tell what's your astro sign? So it's your season, your season, my season. Yea, congrats for that. Thanks, we just left my season.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 1: It was thank you. It was tough this spisy season didn't.
Speaker 3: It was a deliver.
Speaker 1: It was like you ever know when you're in an emotional mood and there's not a clear reason why. Yeah, it's like for some reason, I've just been over the past like three or four weeks, I've just been a little anxious, a little on edge, a little like melancholy for like something I can't really pinpoint. I don't have to be reasons. I guess you're right right like, and I guess that's kind of just like what it is. But I'm sorry, sorry, I'm happy we're in your season exactly. And I love blaming things on the stars.
Speaker 3: An easy escape, so easy, I tell you, guys. So, a couple of years ago, I remember seeing you at the Emmys. Yes, yes, yes, and you. I remember I was with some of my cast I was with Susan Watson and she ran up to you guys ran up to you guys and took a picture and I was like, wait, I know them, Why is she taking a picture with him? And then she came up and she was like, do you listen to their podcast? I was like no, and that's when I started listening.
Speaker 2: Oh my good Susan Collecta Watson, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Were you nominated?
Speaker 2: No, it was Booty Soudy was It was for SNL writing was nominated and I had just gotten moved to the cast. It was before I spent This is like two weeks ago. I gotten moved to the cast. Yes, so this is before you got your acting nomination. This is you guys were writing when we were writing.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I remembering.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing you guys, and I was like, I was like, oh, she really likes this podcast. I must listen to it because I know. I was like, I recognized you guys, and I just couldn't pin.
Speaker 4: I was like, there's someone, there are people to know for us, Like you have to imagine like we're on that red carpet and it's like all famous people, but then there's you, and it's like a total different thing because like of everything we've.
Speaker 1: Expressed, but I remember. The funniest part was you looked stunning, you look unbelievable, and then our friend Kristin Bartlett and you were in the same dress. No way, yes, do you remember? Yes? I think I'm in the same dress as a man anymore.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: It was really fun. I just remember, like, I think that was the first time ever I've been around like a ton of Yeah, that was my first big Words show. I guess, like, you don't really understand what the ecosystem of that is until you're actually there and you're like, oh wow, I mean.
Speaker 3: Do I like them? Yeah? I mean I liked them because I was going with like my cast and we all loved each other, and so it was like just a fun excuse to all be together. I think if I were just by myself, it might be a different thing, because I always feel like an outlier and an outsider. But when you're nominated, sure, but still even then, I'm like, this is so weird. Did I get caught in the fray of this? Like I should be at home in my pajamas watching this on TV. Strange to be in the audience.
Speaker 1: So it is weird though to watch it and it's a show. It's a show, like you're kind of just like, oh yeah, it's a show, Like we're watching them come out and do the bits and do the whole thing like it's a production. It's a production. Well, speaking of a ward shows June fifteenth, June. Have we said, I said on the Today Show, So we said the date, we said the date, We have said where it is, but there will be performance.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned. Oh god, I gotta be there.
Speaker 1: A pretty good thing if you were.
Speaker 3: There very People's Choice Awards, be there in person. No no, don't, obviously don't, but like I would just.
Speaker 1: Fix it for you, for you, we will, like can we say we're not.
Speaker 3: I would just come and like say hi and do a thing. And they're not going to win over single suit, Like, come on, let's be what do you.
Speaker 1: Mean it's such a funny sentence. I'm not gonna win over I'm not gonna win over a single suit.
Speaker 3: I know your feelings about that.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm only half of the voting committee. There's no other guy, and he loves GUARDI and I. Where is your show?
Speaker 3: A couple weeks ago, I did this weird thing where we all sang it Carnegie Hall like my husband saying, I sang I know. It was crazy. It was like this thing called the Piano concert, and my husband played the piano for me and I sang Guardinia and then I sang a song that I sang on this is us.
Speaker 1: Oh cool. Yeah, we haven't even talked about only hope we even talked about only Wait, Taylor, your husband multi instrumentalist, does a lot of instruments.
Speaker 3: So cool, nothing like kind of plays like a little bit of everything that's guitar, piano.
Speaker 1: Oh was it kind of over when you realized how talented he was, Like you probably were immediately attracted because of whatever. And then when someone is that good at music, it's kind of like full rap.
Speaker 3: It's full rap, absolutely, and then he's also just like the best person ever. Yeah, I really that.
Speaker 1: I doubt person. Wait ask about her line reading what you wanted to ask about the line and the gar seat.
Speaker 2: Bell, seatbelt. I mean, I understand that it's nothing, but you just tell Shane wants to put a seatbelt on and then.
Speaker 3: Right, But it was a very it was a very prissy you wait, yeah, very prissy. And I was like, how would he not know that's the most important thing? To do when you sit in a car put your.
Speaker 2: And then it was like, I mean that scene is so important because it's the first time we hear I can tell you, but then I have to kill you. Like for Jamie to say that is so informative about that character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can tell you, but there's more than what meets the eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, many iconic lines in cinema. Just don't fall in love with me that and I am full of christ love.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was a for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good. That had to be so good to be able to play that part too. After you just did like the most pious like I'm dying of cancer, but I don't want to be in anyone's way. And then like and then you get to be like just like it's like a.
Speaker 3: Van into a giant wooden.
Speaker 1: Jesus, I don't forget the scene, the scene of you like praying like aggressively.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is another level.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie. Turn alone. Shout out Jenna Malone, my other Lydia Bennett, I see your sister. Uh we're in the Lydia about society. Oh yeah, Andrew and on Fire Island would call me his Gennam.
Speaker 3: Malone's Yeah, you're his Jenna, you were his Lydia.
Speaker 1: Is it time? I think it's time time for I don't think so, honey. So I don't think so, honey. Manity is this segment we do? We take one million too. That's grinding our ears. And I actually do have something. It's more practical in life. It's less of the culture. I do feel like we need to start putting where our money where our mouth is.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, this is kind of a call to action. I feel wow, there's a timer and everything. I'm very obsessed.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the BTS. And did you see bones three two one? He's always counted down. I always count down again? Insane?
Speaker 3: So professional.
Speaker 2: We're time bound here, tunneling in. This is Matt Rogers. I don't think so many time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey. Express lines at the supermarket if we're not going to use them.
Speaker 3: Oh so.
Speaker 1: If I see an express line at the Gelsons, at the at the whatever it is, and it says like eight arms or less and then it's dark, it's like, why do it then? Because it's what I'm saying. It's just like open the line up for other people. Then, like, let's stop pretending we care about those who aren't buying bulk if we're not going to care about them. Because I'm standing there with one thing, something from the hot bar. What I do is I get my lunch every day from Glsons. It's the way I want to live my life. Okay, I don't care what you you or you think about it. I go there. I want to buy one thing, which is the food on the tray.
Speaker 3: I go, I sit there.
Speaker 1: I'm online for twenty minutes fifteen, and there's a perfectly good express line which I have never seen use.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, honey, I.
Speaker 1: Have ever seen the express line use. In which case, why are you playing in our face? Five seconds? Have some respect for the those who are fru goal. That's one minute.
Speaker 2: I think I realized express lines might be like early ats culture, and we've just it's no longer of the time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The checkout has replaced express something self checkout is.
Speaker 2: Like toorally like up and running, like I think, like something's going on retail, not retail, but just like the shopping experience isn't a crisis of identity under attack? Is under attack because the shopping experience is under attack, especially a low culture.
Speaker 1: Number ninety four.
Speaker 3: The shopping experience is under attack.
Speaker 2: I think, like if you're competing with an e commerce a way of life of ordering things online, Like I think everybody who's running shops and stores is like, how do we make this interesting? You just have to think at any given time, like, if there's thirty people in a supermarket, at least five of those people are buying something with eight or just running in there for something, why would just put one of the cash register on express line.
Speaker 3: They're just enough people working in store.
Speaker 1: Now, you know that's what it is, because that's also markedly different. Yeah, understand, we're all feeling this. We're all feeling this.
Speaker 3: So sorry, no, it's okay. But I think that's it perfectly good. I don't think so honey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel because I'm trying to keep that. I don't think so Honey's light. But even that like really bugged me because I'm like, I'm there and I see ability for it to be used and it's sitting there labeled, And also how thrilling as a cash register.
Speaker 3: To be beat beat beep, beep, beep.
Speaker 1: You're gone.
Speaker 3: It's like your day will probably move faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm thinking of not only myself and my community, which are the shoppers. I'm also thinking about the community behind the lace.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, I want a better experience for everyone.
Speaker 3: Efficiency.
Speaker 1: Wow, So there we go, open the gates aka the lanes the lanes. Are you excited and galvanized to do your I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I have one that's like so behind the curve pop culturally, But I just find tried something an it I realized it wasn't for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, great, So I'm excited to expectore this more. This is bowianks. I don't think so, honey. And this time starts now, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so, honey. Love is Blind? Season six, This most current season, this this recent season. A lot of people having a lot to say about the disastrous scale of the season and how amazing it is. I was into it for three episodes and then I realized, Okay, there's something and this is not a knock on religion specifically, but there is like a Christian element to it.
Speaker 1: There's a Christian element to it. This is the only Christian media I'll watch. Saved, I watch.
Speaker 2: Remember, there's just something about it, like one of the women calls herself a patriot, and it took me out. I'm sorry, I love this country, but this woman was I'm a conservative, I'm a patriot. And then it did take me out of it enough to be like, I'm so distracted. I was distracted for another episode and a half and I was like, I think I gotta tap out. So five seconds please, reader's case pop, this is finalist. Let me know if I should keep watching. But for now, I think for that reason, and that's what I meant, I think you're actually you're gonna be good. But people really are invested in this season.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: People talk about loves. We'll talk about Love is Blind a lot. I watched that first season with you.
Speaker 1: I've never seen an episode. I've never seen an episode. No, I don't participate in Love is Blind, but this is I always say this about things, like I said this about Housewives for years, and then suddenly there I was like it became like a pretty like at least my personality right right, right, Like yeah that you just need you're right, we got you though. I mean here you are saying you watch at least three episodes. Yeah, I mean I watched the full first season. It's just something about I had no interest in going back, but something was so emphatically special about this season that everyone was like, you have to watch and I was like, okay, great, and then I'm a little just like I don't know what my way in is with it, but it's not going to be through someone who refers to herself as a conservative patriots, as a patriot, which I just you know, it's which is like I know that that person exists out in the world and she is on these reality shows, but like something about like her leading with that like was a little bit like it took me out of out into the real world where I was like, I'm the reason I'm watching this is because of the Yeah, so anyway, see, but that's what that's oh so peak behind the curtain, the cameras went down. The room is too hot. So then we were talking about how sometimes discourse about like you know, pop culture things can start to mean more.
Speaker 3: It's like you go to those pop culture things in order to escape.
Speaker 1: The heaviness because it's frivolous, and so all of a sudden someone's like, I'm a conservative patriot and you're like oh, I'm back in the real world. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, and I'm swimming to the surface aerial style. Exact. All I want is my legs or you have your legs, right, yeah, yeah, exactly. All I want is my fin It's obviously been too long since I've seen it, so I did just go on the ride at disney World. The ride is kind of flop.
Speaker 3: I should have done I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Honey, the Little Mermaid right at Disneyland California Adventure. It sucks because can I tell you what they did? And this is the oak Mind virus they took out at the end, Ursula like dying violent. I think they thought that Ursula's death was violence against women. And I have to tell you she was an evil seeds. If I ever saw Ursula in person, coming from me, it's on site. She's getting punched because I know what she's capable of, murder, devastation, absolutely Faustian bargains. But I'm on this ride and literally Ursula is like the best part of the movie. But she's in two scenes of the ride, and then they used to have like the ride ends pretty abruptly with like the audio animatronics of like uh, see Eric and ms Mama mama. But they're like waving goodbye and and like you see like King Tryton like sort of half in the water, like saying goodbye to his baby girl. And then in the back you see Ursula like like kind of getting it in the water. They took that out. And so I'm like, okay, so now two things. One, if I'm a little baby girl, I'm wondering what happened, she's still running am uk. You need that signal there was accountability. Can I tell you something with Ursula? It's not cancel culture. It's accountability culture. She was doing and she got hers, and that's okay, that's okay. It's okay that we don't have Ursula in the seas anymore.
Speaker 3: She was a menace.
Speaker 1: She was a menace, and for that not to be depicted in the ride, I think is coddling kids. I think it's the woke mind virus. And I'm a conservative patriot. As a result of my experience on the Disneyland, then I know I should probably slay Okay, all right, so with that, it's now time.
Speaker 3: I don't think so honey, Well, listen, you guys have done how many episodes of this.
Speaker 1: Almost literally almost four hundred.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure someone somewhere along the way has had this. I don't think so, honey, but it's something that irks me to no end.
Speaker 2: And I was like, and take on it. Yeah, it apart exactly, all right. This is Mandy Moore's I don't think so, honey. Her time starts now.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, honey. People that take off their socks and or shoes on an airplane, oh they are you are heathens. We are in a tiny tin can on top of each other. The fact that you think that I want to think about your feet or see your feet or smell your feet is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I get sometimes we're on long haul flights people want to like let the dogs out, but it is so disrespectful of yourself, of your neighbor. And the thing that I find most egregious is when people walk on their bare feet or their socks on the dirty floor and go to the throat, so sticky, sticky socks, and then you have to put them back in your shoes. I mean you should just burn them, burn the socks, burn your clothes, never go home. Cut your feet off, cut your feet off. I just like, I don't know what kind of people think that this is appropriate behavior, Like it is just chaos on flights now. People are in their pajamas, they're bringing pillows, they're taking their socks and shoes off. It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute. Oh my god, thinks yes, because anytime I.
Speaker 3: See that on an airplane, I'm like, how were you raised this question?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that okay?
Speaker 1: Take your shoes off, but keep your socks on.
Speaker 3: If we're like we're talking like we're on a long haul flight, how long is long.
Speaker 1: I put my shoes back on if I'm going to the bathroom, Well, yeah, can I make sure that everyone knows I don't know the the socks, but in my seat, I take my shoes off, but please keep the socks.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it's okay. It's like when I see people raw dog and on the floor, but even going to the bathroom in their socks, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like, no, you're going to get pissed on the him your sock.
Speaker 3: God knows what. Like it's I have.
Speaker 1: News for you about socks. We immediately absorbed the liquid and then that liquid is on your foot. Right, So if you think that your sock is a protective barrier between you and someone else's.
Speaker 3: You got another thing coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe the phrase have you slipped a shoe off on a plane for sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we're.
Speaker 3: Not hip, yes, but like I'm also aware of my surroundings, like I'm not going to do it if I'm like sitting next to someone and I have any qualms that like maybe it's a stinky sock and situation. Are you a Delta girl. I'm an American girl because my dad was an American. Oh well, there you go, your legacy. Yeah, so like a family thing.
Speaker 2: I did an American flight for one of the London trips for work. Not bad, and I will say I was like, this is quite nice.
Speaker 3: That was my dad's route.
Speaker 1: Wow, it was.
Speaker 3: It was Lax to London. His like his his like last few years. Whoa Yeah, So then.
Speaker 1: Flying was a big deal to him because well because he was up there all the time. But also once you do LX to London a few times, anything is possible.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: That's a long strap.
Speaker 2: And I imagine like if you're your father is a pilot, you can't be a nervous fire no.
Speaker 3: Never. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. And that's how you feel. You can occupy this space of authority of the skies where you can say, what is the patrol? You are like an air marshal.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm a glorified air marshal, self appointed.
Speaker 1: Self appointed. This is all going on.
Speaker 3: I could, like citizens arrest people for taking their socks off on the plane.
Speaker 1: It's clear you would. This is all going in the musical. Use is all going to the musical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're warning to do some casting, Like I think there is something to them. There is a meta thing here where you're like, I want to get out of my own jukebox musical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, there's more to me than.
Speaker 2: There's more to me than my songs. But then by the end you realize, oh, but I really am appreciative of what my music part.
Speaker 3: Of my story.
Speaker 1: You're a part of your story. Yeah, literally, I'm in Like it's The musical starts with little Mandy like on a plane, like looking out the window, and what is she singing? She's singing, she says, singing. She is leaving a place where she used to live, and she's like, oh, missing you can.
Speaker 2: This is the first thought, well, lax to London, would you go on that route? Sometimes No, but we can okay, so we can't pretend it's maybe trying my best Los Angeles, which is like, really good. I'm gonna tell you I'm a fan, and it's like, first of all, it's a great like this town song. It's one of the best LA songs.
Speaker 1: I really do mean to one. Closer is Guardinia at from closure is Guardinia.
Speaker 2: But like, but I think little Mandy singing I'm trying my best, a very adult, mature song for her to be like six years old.
Speaker 1: You can get reprised at the very end.
Speaker 3: You love a reprise.
Speaker 1: I love a reprise. You love a reprise. You did two of them, Entangled. You couldn't get enough of this ship. She kept asking for her life to begin. She kept asking for her life to begin. Well, it began, Rapunzel. But I think you were annoyed. I'm not annoyed.
Speaker 3: You were upset with her bundle. You were like, oh my god, it began.
Speaker 1: No, that's not that's not what I mean. Donna Murphrey, did you ever meet.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my god, god, legend, what a legend like? And I mean this in the best way, like a true like one of our great like minxes to me, like just a gorgeous woman. If you can call Stephen Sondheim Steve, you're a legend, You're a you are a legend.
Speaker 1: She called that man Steve that they did that pandemic tribute to Steven Sondheim. Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was just Donna Murphy like at her zoom, like happy Birthday Steve, And I was just like, fuck, yes, this is this rocks, this rocks like that is like a woman. I would love to hear her Guardiania. I would love to hear Donno m that her bottle would be spinning at ninety miles an hour.
Speaker 3: I love her song Entangled. Everyon is so good, so good.
Speaker 1: She really gave it everything.
Speaker 3: And also I feel like the character kind of looks like her too.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting do that don't they Well obviously with her puzel, it's like they had to give her punzel, but don't they do that, like they sort of try to run a little bit and your stuff. Have they done that? No, they had a drawer pinzel. They couldn't put a little Mandy Moore in now. But she gets many more hair by the end.
Speaker 3: At the end she did, I was like, I have that haircut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: When her hair gets cut and gets adults, it's very like how to Deal Era, Oh my god, Sarah Destin books, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Alison Janny, Oh that's another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I still occasionally like run into her at events and stuff, and I'm like the fact that I didn't know who c. J. Craig was when it was she played my mom and had a deal amazing, And I just remember like she was doing West Wing and she was, you know, had like her summer hiatus, and she came and did this movie, and then like halfway through the movie she got nominated for an Emmy, and like we all sent her flowers and stuff, but I had no idea. And then like years later, of course, like Devout Where the West Way.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm like, fuck, it's one of those ones that like it'll always be good front.
Speaker 3: To back, oh classic, like number one show for me, Love.
Speaker 1: And truly like one of those performances that's like pretty much only one person could do it.
Speaker 3: It feels that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean. Like that's always my rubric for like should something like win an Oscar or like be like have the stamp for approval of Like this thing is like could you see anyone else doing it? Also, Jenny has that like five or six times photo. Yes, she is one of those like she's just like it feels right no matter what it is, like character actress but also very idiosyncratic, identifiable brand, but also like can do it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, effortless. Yes, whatever she brings to a role. You're right, you can't imagine anyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like you gotta Watchrap Dead Gorgeous again and Ellen Barkin. It's doesn't get better than that, doesn't get better, and it doesn't get a picture of that most smartest.
Speaker 2: Smartest doesn't get better than this episode. Dandy, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for coming all the way out to Los Angeles. I know it wasn't just for this, but I'm so honored you made time in your schedule for this.
Speaker 1: Guys, of course, literally, I mean we can't say enough as you can probably tell, just like, congrats on everything and having an impact the way that you have. I mean, like you're the best, and we're such fans and guess what we're going to exchange numbers yea, and watch this space for the Cultural Awards. Yes you might hear this, and we end every episode with the song a Life scrdliah Lies make Love. If you want to hear more of that, listen to the actual song sung by the person in front of us, or check out the Cultural Awards.
Speaker 3: Bye Bye, MHM.