Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. iHeartRadio one eleven productions. iHeartMedia, iHeart podcast, iHeart dish soap. iHeart all kinds of things. You know, iheart's getting into all kinds of durs. Anyway, we are gonna break down episode fifteen, Season six eight, Vineyard Vallance. I have a controversial take, and I am joined by my controversial yet intrepid crew led by terror Suit Susanne French, Amy Sugarman. Welcome, ladies. What is your controversial take?
Speaker 3: Oh you want me to tell you now?
Speaker 1: I too well, So we have a lot to talk about.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you this. Half the episode I loved and half the episode I thought was stupid.
Speaker 4: Okay, I feel like it's fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the We'll get into it, but first, I have not gotten your tickets. I am all in live. Oh man, it is. We are getting close to sold out. There are some tickets left. There's tickets for the stream. If you cannot be in La, obviously get your tickets at the stream. If you can be in LA. I really I'm actually excited about this. Scott's going to be there, We have all those amazing cast members that are going to be there, and it's very intimate venue, so like we're doing a full Q and A and you're really going to have the opportunity to ask all those people questions. But it will be snowing. We have Doci's Market, We have all the things, and we just added like, you know, look, I understand tickets are expensive, right, and I want people to feel like they're getting a lot of value for that money. We have in the back lot, so it's on the studio lot, like it's super cool. Where the theater is a Luke's Diner food truck.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I was hoping that was going to come through a Luke's Diner food truck. And who's panning that truck?
Speaker 3: You will see when you're there, it's going to be And we have a Luke's Diner coffee cart in the venue. So like for people listening, like you get a lot of bang for your buck, right, Like, I get it, it's expensive, but you're getting the show, you're getting dinner, you're getting you know. We obviously have Dosi's Market that has concessions for sale, but like everybody gets, you know, some real cool perks with their ticket.
Speaker 1: A tad pricey, but there's a reason for that. We're not trying to gouge people's amy Amy can provide.
Speaker 3: We wanted to do it at this venue, right, So it's a very it's a very cool place to see a show, and it's very intimate, so we can only have a certain number of people in there, which obviously makes ticket prices higher. So we've done you know, like like I said, you get you know, your coffee beverages, you get dinner after the show from the Luke's Diner food truck. Like we're doing everything we can. We really want to make it people have an amazing experience and write, but a real Gilmore evening.
Speaker 1: We have to offset the cost of what it's costing us to rent the venue and hire the workers and all of that stuff. That we're Yeah, we're not as strike done.
Speaker 3: It's not we're not We're not trying to make money.
Speaker 1: We're trying to break even here. We're not to bring you some great entertainment and some great guests.
Speaker 4: That's it's the old it's the old Jay Leno studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, old Johnny Carson's Jay Leno. It's so it's it's got a lot of history behind it. We're really exciting.
Speaker 3: What I'll say is if you can travel, it's worth it. I'm traveling down from San Francisco, Like it's this is going to be really, really cool. So Scott, you better be awesome too, because you've got to carry the whole show.
Speaker 1: So I know that's very hard for me, but I'm practicing a great deal. I'm doing my Walter Cronkite imitations. I'm brushing up on those.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, no, but it is very intimate, so I do want people to know, like it's it's yeah, you're gonna be up close and personal with these guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. We're just gonna just rip the roof off.
Speaker 3: That snow is expensive.
Speaker 1: Is expensive little pieces of paper, right.
Speaker 4: The most expensive part.
Speaker 3: It's sort of true.
Speaker 1: It's sort of well, look, we're gonna bring you a great show, great guests. We're gonna have a blast, and I can't wait to meet everybody in the meet and greets and that it's just gonna be We're real. It's it's really really pumped for this, So it's it's we're gonna We're going to give you one hundred and ten percent.
Speaker 4: So the easiest way to get tickets to the in person event is if you can go to our Instagram. On our page, there's a little link. It'll take you to a link tree and you can click in person tickets and that'll take you to the exact link. And that's the best way you can buy tickets.
Speaker 1: All right, good deal, good? I love it.
Speaker 3: So, okay, guys, maybe we should synopsize first.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to synopsize.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: This is season six, episode fifteen, a Vineyard Valentine, and it aired appropriately enough on February fourteenth, two thousand and six. It's a couple's weekend with Luke and Lorelei Logan in Martha's vineyard, but Luke doesn't seem too keen on hanging out with Logan. The weekend is then ruined when Mitcham shows up demanding Logan to leave right away and tells him he is moving to London right after graduation.
Speaker 3: Was I the only one that thought half the episode was awesome and half was really not great?
Speaker 1: Well, it's all this. The first half was all this setup and getting there, and we're getting out of Star's Hollow and getting out of our comfort zone and going to the vineyard. I was looking forward to it. I was like, Yay, let's go on a trip. But right off the bat, Luke just seemed a little that's like, can you It's like the impression that I got from both, well, especially from Luke, is that he was just It's like, dude, really, yes, you're a grown man. Chill stop with the covetching about everything. And she slams him in the bedroom about it. He deserved that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like a different character.
Speaker 1: It was. He was like this very cagey, strange guy who didn't want to mix with anybody or do anything. I mean, who the hell would want to marry that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, I think that.
Speaker 3: I think that's what was bothering me. He was so likely who is that guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Once Logan gave him the gift, it all switched. But I was just like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: I just have never seen Luke so weak, drawn, so weak as a chara annoying and annoying and really weakened in front of Logan when Logan figured out his gift problem and Luke said, well, I mean, he just seems so and he just forgot here's a word I wanted to use, is impotent. He just seemed impotent as a man.
Speaker 3: He just wouldn't have forgotten the gift. Like nor he wouldn't have He would never not have the gift.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: I get that it wasn't exactly Valentine's Day yet, and so I sort of was giving him a little bit of a pass for that, but like he also would never be such a rude guest.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 4: Well, Also, going back to the gift, Laurel I's reaction made it seem like she's never received a Valentine's Day gift. That's how I sick it.
Speaker 3: But it's so weird. He gives her gifts all the time.
Speaker 4: That's why I just thought it was odd. It's funny, Amy, I thought you were gonna say the weird part, or the part that you felt was off, was that they were not on their sets.
Speaker 3: Like clearly this was a I mean that they were in Malibu.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bother but weirdly enough, like for some reason, whenever shows do that and they go like on location or you know, like down the street, it bothers me. Weird this one didn't bother me for some reason. I think it's because we always hear that, like the Gilmore's go to Martha's vineyard, and like he kind of created this like I don't know, I something in my head that like this is where they always go. So for me, it just felt like normal. But I made this place up in my head.
Speaker 3: And part of the house tracked for me where I'm like, that's what the house would be like. The house was not nearly fancy enough though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know that was I believe that was Olivia Newton John's house.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you know what. That's sort of ringing a bell for me.
Speaker 5: It was Malibu, Like, it definitely was Mayeah.
Speaker 3: First of all. The one thing I don't like about Gilmour girls, and I don't know if it's a money thing, when they do those sort of establishing shots that are like we got these from by establishing shots dot com that weird seagull and it was so like, oh my god, and it just felt like Malibu. I was like we and I don't know, maybe it's because we're all from LA, like we all live in La. It was so Malibui, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I don't think it fooled anybody because there's leaves on the trees, Like there was nothing about it that looked like New England.
Speaker 3: And isn't Martha's vineyard. You're like sea level, there's not like tall tall.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, yeah, there's no mountain behind you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happening. And then at the beginning, the house just seemed like is this like an airban be fairly cheap house in Malibu, Like it wasn't mansionny, It wasn't what the Huntsburgers would have like. It was so like the decor was okay, but again it was not up to the level. And so I just was like, what's happened? Yeah, and Luke was acting like a fool.
Speaker 5: It was like a whole alternate universe Gilmore Girls, Like it just was really like Luke was weird. Rory was really weird. I don't know what her deal was. I don't know. I didn't understand the whole thing with Luke not having the right clothes.
Speaker 3: Like is the weather.
Speaker 5: Than the weather in Connecticut, Like he just would have to bring what.
Speaker 3: He would wear at home? Why should come on?
Speaker 4: It's like he came from Malibu to like the East coast right, like he.
Speaker 1: Would just wear he would have been wearing.
Speaker 3: Like the good laugh for me was the Martha's Vineyard sweats. I'm like, at least that made me chuckle because I'm like, exactly what.
Speaker 5: But he like he brings a camp stove, but he doesn't bring a jacket like that.
Speaker 3: It was so first of all, right, why would he bring any of that nonsense? It was so insane. He was acting cuckoo.
Speaker 6: Who.
Speaker 3: I also don't.
Speaker 5: Believe that Luke never had lobster before.
Speaker 1: I refuse to believe that. It's hard to that's that's hard to swallow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also I'm sorry, but Rory went from being Rory to Rachel Ray in like five seconds flat.
Speaker 4: That girl has never cut anything, Like she use a microwave and throws like pizza in the oven like that's it.
Speaker 5: And when she was doing the tour, she was like a little girl playing house. She's like, don't use you know only one person can use the shower and also open the window like she just was like marrying the house, which flat.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. We have done enough of our research to know that the Huntsburgers are almost billionaires, right right, They definitely do not have a house in Martha's Vineyard where only one person can shower at a time. Exactly.
Speaker 5: It's like, no way, okay, so fix them like the a even like just let stuff like that go exactly.
Speaker 3: That's why it was so like, this does not track. This is like, like I said, it, fine, then make it an airbnb.
Speaker 4: That or say they just bought it and they're flipping it like something like but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's not gonna work because we know this is like this is their like halatial Martha's Vineyard estate and I have never been to Martha's Vineyard, but I have enough knowledge in the Worldwide Web to know that's not what the Huntsburgers would have.
Speaker 1: Like where's like what I think that house fit into the budget? The episode budget? Quite yes.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, I mean it's pretty cool that it was a living in John's house, but like I.
Speaker 1: Said, it was either her house or her house was next door or something like that.
Speaker 3: It was just so Malibu that's pretty budget. Went like literally, I was like, can we just go to Howdies and get a burrito? Because literally we're in Malibu? Like it was just so why didn't they just make it Malibu. I don't know anyway. That really took me out. And also like everybody, you're right, Suzanne was just weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought Logan was consistent. His character always seems to be very consistent. Now he he he was. He was the entertainment part for me.
Speaker 3: Zere was probably like why is everybody acting crazy? He's like, I'm just gonna be me what.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed him. He was his charming self, Like.
Speaker 3: Even at the basketball he was normal. And Lucas I think so weird and who suddenly snap snaps for a gym person to give them a massage?
Speaker 1: Like I was just like so weird. It was so strange.
Speaker 4: Also, like Laura, I will say I did laugh at Laura I and Rory going to the gym, but like literally just like not knowing what to do it. That was a little like on point with the two of them.
Speaker 3: But okay, the one thing I will say, and I know we're going out of order, but like this episode was so weird, we just have to you know, when the gym guy's like can I work in? I I wouldn't have known what that meant either, except I just listened to Arnold Schwarzenegger on SmartLess and totally learned because Arnold will say like, can I work in? And I'm like, oh my god, Okay, now I know what that means.
Speaker 4: I've never heard that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Arnold totally explained it. Scott Nos, Scott.
Speaker 1: Nos, Yeah, I tried to work in yesterday. I didn't let him, just gave him a luck get out of here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let's let's go back. So we started the episode, and it was weird from the start. First of all, in this we must have had a hiatus, right, because the recap was extraordinarily long, which I get if I wasn't watching how we're watching every week, right, But it must have been. When did this air February fourteenth? Maybe they didn't have a lot of episodes in January, I don't know, But the recap was just so.
Speaker 4: It also went back a little bit, like really back towards older episodes in the season, like it was at last week's episode.
Speaker 3: Suki made me laugh and she said, Zuki, you mean sucky, But I just don't think she's going to be like struggling that hard over the Valentine's menus. I liked louralized curls in the rap dress right out the gate. But like, I don't know, what do you guys think of just sort of the inn and then the Zydago mess and the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, it was there were just you know, it wasn't your obviously your traditional Gilmore Girls episode where we're in stars Hollow and we get to see everybody in town. We saw Luke, Laureli, Rory and Logan and that's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, except for the very beginning.
Speaker 1: Mitcham came in and then we get a little suki in the beginning and there's some zydeco stuff, which was like, huh. I think that just shows how off this episode was. Was the it was so incongruous with the and it was maybe a funny bit, yeah, but we didn't get to see anybody else in this episode, and it's like.
Speaker 3: It could have been good four.
Speaker 1: Characters carrying the whole show. Yeah, And I don't know if we pulled it.
Speaker 3: Off because you weren't yourselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that bit with the band actually could have worked in a different episode. Like I thought it was kind of funny. I just feel like it it had nothing to do with this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, other than I guess she's you know, it was heartfelt when she sort of is realizing, like June third is not happening, right, So that was sort of okay. You know, look I giggled when she said led Zep again because I was like, I love those yacht rocky you know, cover bands, Super Diamond, all that kind of stuff, So I was like, oh, go for led Zep again. But otherwise it was sort of just like what's going on?
Speaker 1: A yeah, A little U just joined it at a character uh out of its elements in Martha's vineyard, which was not depicted well right, and just like it was a very strained Even having said all that, I was still entertained because we have Logan to keep us afloat.
Speaker 3: Well, and it got good in the second half, So okay, we'll get We'll get to that. So then we get the setup right, So we're in the uh, we're in the apartment and in Logan's apartment. Now the bed felt like it was in the living room for me, but maybe it's just a very large bedroom. Did anybody else. I was a little thrown off by the bed being with the couch, and I was like, am I.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't quite get it. Either it feels like it's just one giant open room. Maybe it's a loft, I don't know, Yeah, maybe anyway, you know, and look, Logan's gonna be up at eleven.
Speaker 3: But that was still sort of funny. The whole world's up, YadA YadA.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really cute when he said bring your mother and the guy. Now he would have known his name, but otherwise it was cute.
Speaker 5: It was nice of him to think of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, that was all cute. What was Ducididies again?
Speaker 1: A Greek philosopher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then we sort of have a brief visit to the paper and she's like pretty much got her leave together at the paper, right like, feeling like that's going well. And then we sort of tea up, like, no, take the weekend off, it's been We.
Speaker 1: See her interpersonal skills with her staff. Yes, that she's a good leader and that she listens and she cares about people.
Speaker 3: Empowers them and the whole thing right like that was all good. My next takeaway was just I am a fan of low Rise jeans. I love the.
Speaker 7: Low Rise Jens and this Loralai really wears low Rise jeans, so that really stood out from and then so Rory calls and, you know, kind of says to Lurlai, come, this was Logan's idea, and let's do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it just took too long to get there, Like we should have just like going to the beach how or Martha's vineyar should have been like the sub should have been one scene, Like that's the same point. I think that's what it is. It was just two. I think it was like, let's see one, two, three, it's like four scenes before we even got to Martha's vineyard.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, I want to talk about it, Yeah, you want to talking about it. We have that moment that I thought was important where she says it's the last nail in the June third coffin. So I was like, oh, okay, all right, But but Luke and Laureley seemed to be getting along great, Like yeah, you know, he was sort of a curmudgeon about it, but otherwise, like they seem to be getting along. I'm taking the truck.
Speaker 4: I think it's one of those things when you tell someone like for her, it's she told people a date, especially her mom, and that date sticks with people because now, like if it doesn't happen. I think it's more of she's okay with Luke and she's okay with the situation. I think she's worried about what other people think now, because like remember when Suki was like what did you do? Why is it not happening? And then like it wasn't me, it was because of April. So I think it's more of how people. She's worried about how people think about her more than shitting married.
Speaker 3: The one that suggested moving the wedding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but not because she wanted to though, yeah.
Speaker 3: She thought it was the right thing to do, but still.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he didn't disagree. He agreed with her to move it.
Speaker 3: So few questions for Scott. Did you feel that the luggage had stuff in it? Or were you just caring very lightweight to so I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up. I thought I was selling it very well. Luggage I accently do up until the point. There was an accident when I I put the big bag down before loading it into the truck at Lorelei's house and it it almost toppled over and it looked very light, So I thought, oh, that's.
Speaker 3: You nailed it on the stairs and going out of the house, I really thought, oh wow, those are some heavy suitcases. And then all of a sudden, I was like like an envelope. My next two questions.
Speaker 1: Gravity was my enemy in that scene.
Speaker 3: The next question for Scott, are there not seat belts in that truck?
Speaker 1: Die? I believe there are.
Speaker 3: Properly okay lap belts. I did not see a restraint.
Speaker 1: I don't I actually don't recall lap belts. I think it was just such a vined truck. It didn't have anything.
Speaker 3: So sketchy driving to Martha's vineyard in the winter with no seat belts, just slashing all around that bench seat.
Speaker 1: We roll man.
Speaker 3: My next topic for everybody though, Even though Luke was being super curmudgeony, I thought it was okay for him to say, where do we stand with this guy? Oh, we've called a truce. That part didn't bother me. That needed to be acknowledged. I will agree with you, Luke. I don't like staying at other people's houses either. It's not fun, it's weird.
Speaker 1: I agree, I don't mind it. I mean, if it's a nice house.
Speaker 4: Over a hotel, would you rather stay a hotel? Or someone's house my own.
Speaker 1: I'd rather stay at somebody's house if it's you know, I really would. No, I've always had good experiences with that, especially in ski country, you know.
Speaker 3: But you are they there renting a house is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know they're there and they're hosting you, and it's and it's fun. I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh God, you have to be so on your best behavior. You can't just cloud around and watch TV. You have to make the bed. You guys need to google Sebastian Man of Scalco. That can be bit on staying at other people's houses, as it sums it up perfectly, just like Rory when she's like, oh you can't take a share at the same time like he does this a whole bit about like this toilet doesn't really work, so jiggle a handle.
Speaker 1: And you're just like, oh see, that's I think that's the problem. I think what you pointed out earlier is it wasn't a palatial enough to stay for them to be behaving that way once they got inside the house that would have sold that same behavior in some kind of gorgeous mansion that was obviously worth you know, twenty thirty million dollars that would have tracked, right.
Speaker 3: It says something, Am I right? He says something at I'd been grandma's house. It has its kinks something. But I still was like, hey, the Huntsburgers, no way, that thing would have eight showers.
Speaker 1: Right, that all they would have remodeled exactly.
Speaker 3: They would have had beautiful marble, white marble.
Speaker 5: I think they were trying to make it seem like this is the cun Tree getaway cabin, you know, whack shack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's his exact Actually, Amy, his exact line was, it's a grandma, so it's got its kinks. It's a grandma. That's what he said.
Speaker 1: Camp.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm glad they acknowledge it and don't act like at least somehow, but I still was like, no way, these people are a millionaires.
Speaker 5: And the way they described it, like Rory talks about how the dining room seats twenty, but like that doesn't correlate with what we saw visually. That did not look like a place that has a dining room that seats twenty.
Speaker 3: We saw five hundred dollars night Airbnb. Yeah, okay, okay, well, and then now we get to where I sort of was like, oh, Luke, you know, calling him snotty and saying that he oh did you see how Logan was so rude? He corrected Rory about the gym.
Speaker 1: I was just like, what, Yeah, that was weird stuff up, Like I wanted to just smack them.
Speaker 3: And like why would they be scared to leave their room?
Speaker 4: It was so odd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was where I was like, oh my god, I am not this is.
Speaker 4: If it was to Luke that Luke doesn't like Logan, then okay, I feel like there was another way of doing it. But it just felt like out of character.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he like needs a signal the next morning to come out.
Speaker 1: Did you tell him I was hiding? I mean, it's it's so forced, everything so forced, and.
Speaker 3: Luke's a stud, right, so he's not going to be a weirdo. Like he's gonna own that thing. He's going to be in the kitchen cooking up the meal. Like he's literally just not going to be such a weirdo. I wrote, why is Luke so weird?
Speaker 1: That's maybe maybe it's you take him out of the diner, you take him out of that town, you put that behavior in someplace else and it's glaring. Maybe that's the reason.
Speaker 3: Is it Camper, Right, he's not going to be bothered by the waves or stand the raccoon, Like, I mean, we're beating a dead horse, right, Like Luke was a weirdo. We have to just acknowledge that. Whatever.
Speaker 1: That's the one episode that I would erase. If you were to say, you know, take your best episode and take your worst episode and just get them out so we can average in, you know, that would be for me. I'd say deep six to that episode.
Speaker 3: I love it. I think things took a turn once they're having the dinner, right, But okay, first let's get to a couple of things. Rory coming down the steps in Malibu and her cute blue coat. She did have a cute cloth. Then they're all going to the gym.
Speaker 1: Gym.
Speaker 3: They're all going to the gym. We've acknowledged the gym was weird. Although I did enjoy his Luke's Martha's beenyard thing. This is where I wrote this episode isn't good. So at this point I'm sort of like, really like, this is not good and we're just wasting time, right, Like the gym was just like filling airtime to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we got the gym twice, right, not just once. Didn't they go back to it?
Speaker 3: No, they were there. It just felt like that because first they were in the gym, then we went to the basketball, then we.
Speaker 1: Went But here's the thing, what an opportunity to to lampoon Martha's vineyard.
Speaker 3: Or to make it awesome either way either way?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: And then they chose to go into a.
Speaker 3: Gym with right, which was like clearly in LA where they put up stickers that said Martha's Vineyard gym or something else.
Speaker 5: Right, right, And Rory says, Oh, we like to go to the gym when we're here. But then you see her there and she doesn't understand anything.
Speaker 3: That's happening exactly. Obviously she doesn't go.
Speaker 5: To the jim while we're there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I actually have a question.
Speaker 5: It makes sense, Scott.
Speaker 4: I have a questioned. The show is in season We in season five, yeah, five, six?
Speaker 3: Sorry six?
Speaker 4: So at this point the show is very successful, has made a lot of money. Why wouldn't they just like send you guys on location, because like other networks have done it, where like ABC would send all their tgifs to Disney World, like they would spend the money.
Speaker 3: Well, you've got that real characters in the episode.
Speaker 1: Because it's CW, the budgets aren't as big, the profit isn't as big, the revenue is in as big.
Speaker 3: Right, I think they spent the money on oliving in John's House like it was already expensive.
Speaker 1: Taking the budgets on these shows was not what you know a friend's budget is or or you know.
Speaker 3: Man, Modern Family had their money.
Speaker 1: Right if you're if your show, if you have a hit show on a major network ABCNBCCBS, Fox, now I guess we joined the big that's the Big Four, then you you've got some money to burn and you're making large dollars on at that time the DVD side and all, you know, all kinds of revenue streams coming in. But on the CW with Gilmour, even though it was a hit show, it didn't have the it didn't have those size the side.
Speaker 3: I can give you a little a little fun fact if you all want it. So you know the Ryan Murphy show nine to one one, that's on Fox. It's Foxes, that's right, just went it's Fox's biggest hit. Right now, they're all kind of owned by the same people, so whatever, But it's Fox's biggest hit, but the show is so expensive that Fox couldn't afford it anymore. And that's why nine to one one is now going to be on ABC. So you think about that because that show is so expensive to do with the stunts, and.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, that's a great example. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can afford it. Right. This is why hit shows get canceled, and nobody can understand. The audience is like, why did you cancel? It was the number one, it was huge hit and all because it's too expensive to produce profit margin and as it as it, you know, labor costs and casts want more salary. Then it just gets more expensive every every year, but the revenue streams remain the same or go down or dwindle.
Speaker 3: So it's an interesting thing though, because I would have just kept you all in Stars Hollow. But whatever, for whatever reason they wanted you to.
Speaker 1: Malbot, don't get out of the boat.
Speaker 3: Right right stage. Just do this same kind of concept. I would have enjoyed if Rory and Logan decided to come home to Stars Hollow for the weekend, we could have had the same sort of episode, or or a Loreleizes House with Luke there and they're kind of having that. I guess the thing here is when it gets good is when Mitcham comes in. But we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Valentine's Day in stars Hollow would have been amazing with Babette and and.
Speaker 3: Still could have had Mitcham come blaring in. Right if Mitchen went all the way from wherever he lives to Martha's vineyard. He could have gone from wherever he lives to stars Hollow and just knocked on the Gilmore door.
Speaker 1: I imagine how much more disturbing and shocking if he came into that very placid environment and blew up like that.
Speaker 3: That would have been amazing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and then reacted like I don't think he's happier.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right exactly. It could have been so good.
Speaker 1: And then he was like a volcano.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thought he was gonna head, was gonna blow exactly.
Speaker 5: It would have been so that would be a.
Speaker 3: Right well back in the world we're in then now we talked about this very reluctantly, and Rory's cooking, which was weird, like she doesn't know how to cook. She's not gonna suddenly take it up when she goes to Martha's vineyard. Nope, I get the GISTs we're supposed to get, like they she knows where everything is and they's such a happy couple and they're going on their trip to Asia so that it's more disruptive when mitchem whatever. So then we go outside and Logan says, I'm going to do the gift at dinner, and Luke's like, what murder Like he's never heard of a Valentine's President before. My problem here.
Speaker 1: Is stupid wardrobe.
Speaker 3: The tennis bracelet. Let me tell you how much a tennis bracelet is not cheap, minimum five grand, probably maybe thirty five hundred, right, So they were clearly a set. So he's got this necklace. That necklace would have been so expensive and just not the kind of thing that Luke would have.
Speaker 1: And why didn't she suss that out? And that's what I thought she was gonna send when she was holding it, like I thought so too, Ogan gave this to you because it looks exactly like the tennis bracelet. It came in a set.
Speaker 4: Her reaction was like, in all these years, she has never received a gift from Luke. That's how our reaction was. Well, she has as I know she has, but her reaction was like, oh my, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I have never seen such a beloved couple ever portrayed in such a bad light on TV.
Speaker 3: It was so weird.
Speaker 1: It was just like.
Speaker 3: Like, well le meshing and then I had such a flag on the way Rory was doing the tomatoes. Nobody puts tomatoes slice like that in their salad. She was cutting them like they were for a hamburger or sandwich. I was just getting so irritated.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 4: It's like it was at that point when we started just picking apart.
Speaker 1: It was, but it does. It does that happens. It's snowballs. If something is a little oft and then it just starts snowballing. Then you just it's you.
Speaker 3: And now you're now you're Logan's best friend because he gave you a necklace. Like that's sort of a D move too, Like, oh, I only like this rich guy because he saved my ass. Right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just like how to destroy a character one on one?
Speaker 3: And Rory so is is the word insipid? She's so like these could be the ones like I'm sorry, what about your whole Christian amanpour career? You're the head of the Yale paper. These could be the ones.
Speaker 5: Well, and Luke and Lory were engaged, so clearly it's not Luke could be the one, like Luke is the one. They're engaged to be married.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: We don't understand.
Speaker 4: I don't think I ever ripped apart.
Speaker 3: We had one other one we didn't like, but this one's definitely going. And then like they're clapping for her, Celery cutting, like what's happening.
Speaker 5: Well, did you notice that Luke after all that about the lobsters, Luke is the only one that had any lobster pieces on his plate, Like Logan had like one little piece, Rory had one little piece. It's like they make this big deal about making the lobster and the no one it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then also like they have to add in like, yeah, we went to the same shop so we could bod these together, like give it get the next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they had to come up with the cover.
Speaker 1: Let's just pause for a second. Let's each of us state something positive about the episode. Ready, go, Tara, go.
Speaker 3: The end until this.
Speaker 4: Point the end to end credits, No, no, not until this point.
Speaker 3: Only Zukree is all I can and.
Speaker 1: Do Zoree, Susan, what do you think?
Speaker 5: The only thing in this episode that redeems it for me is Luke saying I love you?
Speaker 3: You know I love you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was awing feature of this episode.
Speaker 3: It starts to take a turn now, right, It starts to get better now because he sort of acknowledges I've been preoccupied, you know, I love you. We can have lobster at our wedding. No, now it's taking a turn right where they're sort of getting back to themselves. She loves the necklace. Then they wake up the next morning they slept like angels. The breakfast Santa blah blah blah. It's starting to get Now, I'm starting to feel like more comfortable. Okay, I know where I am right, I'm now I'm in Gilmore Girls, and it's like the the Emilio Estevez reference. I'm like, okay, now I'm starting to like this. They think they're going to elope really get in somewhere and incomes bit Chum and that Now I'm like, now cooking. I was like, now I'm now I'm.
Speaker 4: Like forty one minutes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But mitcham as unhinged as he is it was Now I loved it, right, Mitcham is yelling at Logan.
Speaker 3: Mitcham's so awful, he's so embarrassing, he's so inappropriate, and the face acting ten out of ten because Rory's watching lorealized face Luke everybody. Now I'm like, now this is good.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of times we hear Logan say how far his dad is on him, but we we've only seen it like maybe once, But I think this is where we really see it, like you're gonna do this, You're gonna follow in my footsteps. End of discussion. You're getting on that plane like we finally saw it instead of hearing about it well, And we.
Speaker 3: Get to see Luke say you need any help there, which meant you okay, buddy, like I got it, and then Loral says no one understands, like I understand, and we're having this moment where I'm like they're all bonding, and then he's very sweet with Rory like when are you leaving? And he's like, let's just not think about it. It's only February like all that. Suddenly, I literally don't know how far into the episode we were, but now I'm like, now I like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you had to feel for Logan. I mean, no matter how you feel about him as a character, you had to feel for him in that moment.
Speaker 3: And Greg Henry, who plays Mitcham, pulls that off because that could have been over the top or too Carney or too he pulled that off, like he comes in like that Dad would yelling and raising his voice and talking down and who are you? And da da da and still like well they stay, but you're out of here, you know, like and you He really pulls that off that character.
Speaker 5: That scene where the two of them are just screaming over each other was really well done.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 3: The faces on the other three it's like, oh my god. And I liked that they didn't step in because that would have been not okay.
Speaker 1: Here's a technical aspect of that. Greg and Matt knew going in that they weren't going to cover the scene. Means they weren't going to do cover close ups or coverage either side of that argument. So the director was it Dan Palatine Dance. So Dan said, look, this is just going to be a two shot. You'll both be in profiles to go ahead and overlap each other's dialogue, because when you do coverage, they really discourage you from overlapping dialogue. They want to interesting, so then it kind of comes off stilted a little bit, but the editors oftentimes want that space to cut the scene right. And luckily, luckily those guys got a free pass to be great, you know, and no considerations for editing or no considerations for coverage. They could just go, you know, full speed overlap, let's go, let's create a great, great scene like you would see in the theater.
Speaker 3: Well, it feels like Dan Palladino's just showed up, like he just started. Maybe at the Valentine's Dinner scene. I feel like he wasn't directing it leading up to that because it was so bizarre. But now it's like whoa. And then I think it thrives from there. When we go back to the diner. It felt good, and Caesar is sort of like, wait, I was to tell you something, what was that? And then you sort of get the balloon popped when he brings up April, because suddenly Lorelei isn't a part of it again. And I wanted so badly for Luke to say, well, no, why don't you come why don't you come. I thought it was weird that she says the bike's at my place.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. It almost sounded place. It almost sounded like a breakup. It was. It was yeah again, it was just it was actually didn't think.
Speaker 3: That the bike's at my place. It's their place.
Speaker 4: It's It's funny though, because now that you say it, I think about it. But when I was watching it, I was just like, well, that's laurelized, Like in my head, yeah, there, he.
Speaker 1: Just paid, But yeah, why are they acting like they're breaking up and it's her place and he's got to come get his stuff out of there.
Speaker 3: She's gonna walk home. Like even though it was still good, now it was good strange instead of like, what showing my strange strength.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the ending was just really disappointing for me because you felt like when they had that moment at that Martha's vineyard house and he was like, oh, you know, I'm sorry I didn't that's just how I am. You kind of felt like, Okay, now he's aware of what laurelized perspective is, and now he's going to be better about letting her. When I get back to the diner, and it just goes right back to what it was. It's like, Okay, Laurela I by and I was so disappointed. I'm like, okay, I guess we didn't make any progress here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So then we come so Laura I walks home. I did like the flower on the back of her jacket, and we play the messages, which I thought was an effective way of telling this part of the story. My flag is, why would it just be Larelli's picture in the paper that was so weird everyone else? Why would it Why would Emily not put a picture of Luke and Larelai?
Speaker 1: So I think I think that says a lot about how she feels about.
Speaker 3: Luke and how would she have a picture of Luke.
Speaker 1: It's a diss I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's at the end of the day, it's all about her daughter and her daughter's getting married because it's going to be Emily's day, you know. It's yeah, this is more of an event for Emily than than it is Laura Lai and Lukes. So I think she just that's how she took it, like because it's her status and d A R and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know that she would have had a reason to have a picture of Luke though.
Speaker 3: Did you think it was at the birthday party or at the re wedding, sorry, the re wedding.
Speaker 4: She could have asked for one, she could have exactly, but then she.
Speaker 3: Was then Laura I would have known what she was doing, and she would have had to tell her the date was postponed. Yeah, Luke or everybody was hot?
Speaker 1: All right? So I think, uh, we are going to wrap up this delightful episode.
Speaker 3: So now what do we raid it?
Speaker 1: Going to it?
Speaker 3: Her favorite lines really from it?
Speaker 4: I had one I actually chuckled at. It was a the school paper and it's when they were saying us and them, and then Rory was like what are they put on the paper? And He's like s and m oh yeah. I actually I had laugh at that.
Speaker 1: A highly unlikely mistake that a yeah, reach HIV, what are you giving this? And what is your measure?
Speaker 4: Okay, my measuring measuring stick is going to be lobsters and I'm going to give it. I'm going to give it five lobsters.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of lobster, Suzanne, what is.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna give this. I thought that there was some of the banter was good. So I'm going to also give this five giant knives.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I'm giving it six. So I thought I hated it the most Smarta's vineyards or awkwardly sliced tomatoes.
Speaker 4: I can't decide mix the both.
Speaker 3: Six. Yeah, it's my lowest we've had in how many What episode number? Is this my lowest score?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think mine too, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it since I kind of take it personally, since I had to watch that myself being that and it was not it was not enjoyable, I'm going to give it. I'm going to put it down into the threes. Oh, I'm going to give it a three point six. Fow, I'm going to give it a three point six five. Uh, portable camp of burners that is out of kerosene.
Speaker 6: The only thing with maybe three points six ' five bowie knives to take off the feet if anybody involved.
Speaker 4: That thing is officially the lowest rating on any episode we don't.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I just think. I mean, listen, I understand the creative people like to mix it up if they feel a little stale and they come up with an idea. Let's take it to Martha's vain. Let's do that. Then that's what they must do, uh, to find their way back home as it were. So I don't I applaud the effort. You know, it's hard to take this out of Star's hollow so much and limit it to so few characters. So I applaud the effort, But you know, the execution is a different story.
Speaker 4: I feel like the more we talked about it, I like dislike I didn't mind being at the beach house at first, and then alway talking about it, I'm like, yeah, it just go worse.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll sway anyway, I'm worried, you know what.
Speaker 3: I also will say, I'm not sure I've seen this episode, but once, like one episode I've ever rewatched, and I wonder, like I was literally like, have I even seen this ever? Like I'm kind of like confused.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it's a famous so we might be.
Speaker 3: In for some trouble, but I do know. Look, anyway, I digress.
Speaker 1: We're gonna We're just gonna tuck and roll out of this anyway. Thanks, ladies. The house is on fire. Let's just get out of that we got to get some fresh air. Thank you ladies, Tarist, Suit, Susan and French Amy, Sugarman and best fans of all the planet thanks for downloading uh this giant bowl of positivity MS of love anyway, we will see you on the seventeenth. Get your tickets. Much love and stay safe out there everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.