Speaker 1: Good come out of this scheme against the Ramso and with forward to the Patriots. What is there one particular episode of that game or situation or just overall umbrella of something that went wrong You really have put the focus in on correcting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was situations more than one thing. I think it's a culmination. It hasn't really ever been one thing or one coverage. It's kind of been a culmination of things, and and it just hasn't been good enough overall. You know, it's not one person or one cover, you know, like I said, it's just kind of been we be a little better here, a little better there. And as always, I always look at myself first, and I should. I mean it's my defense and I'm the coordinator, but I take responsibility of that and I think we just all feel that way. That's a cool thing all as coaches got to coach better and players have that feel that challenge as well for themselves.
Speaker 2: Maybe. So any update on.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: Oh, Curtis?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I yeah, I don't know. Thank you. The loss of Hartrave due to your defensive line. I mean, he's he's one, he is a great player, but he was having a he's had an awesome camp and awesome offseason and really that game he was playing really really good too. So it's tough because he's such a good player. I mean, this is a time when guys have to step up. I know it's cliche, but the league is littered with guys that have been backups and you know, get their chance and play really well. It's just understanding who we're losing. He's it's gonna be a tough shoes to fill, but you guys have to step up, going.
Speaker 4: Back and talking about you know, the not one thing, not one player, not one situation. Is it difficult to make all the pieces fit together when there are so many new faces on that defense, a lot of new personel No.
Speaker 3: I think it's a it's a challenge. It's just you know, we're close. I think we feel it. You can be frustrated at times, but you know, we gotta we gotta fix it and we will. Which teams out to you when you watch I'm by replacing our game.
Speaker 4: Are you looking at just you know, one person or do.
Speaker 2: You've envisioned that happen to be kind of multiple guys.
Speaker 3: That will Yeah, I think we're looking at a bunch of guys, and you know, Jordan Ellie has been rotating in and so does Kevin. So those guys particular, you know, you think of it to step up and and then it goes from there. You know, we've got guys on practice squad, so I think it's just a matter of you know, getting guys training. That's why you have practice squad so that they're trained up and you know, see who can step in and make plays for.
Speaker 4: Us or gross Matos moving inside too, or do you maybe not have enough edge.
Speaker 3: Depth he had, He's done that, you know, certain situations in his history which we've you know, we've talked about, and they're.
Speaker 2: Down defense in particular. Why do you feel that's been an issue?
Speaker 3: Just get getting off the field. Like I said, it's not one thing it's been. It's been tough. It is frustrating at times. I mean because sometimes it's really good. It's just I think stuff's been kind of inconsistent all around. You know, sometimes the run game, we hit it up really good, or we get pressure. I think overall, I just think we have high expations. We all do. The players, the coaches myself well understand how it's supposed to look here, and I think it's it's not one thing. We just consistently got to get better. Move didn't come off the field, which I think has only happened one another time.
Speaker 2: In his career. Is that a reflection of the edge depth or.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it's a reflection to edge depth. I think, you know, and talking to Nick, we'd like to spell him more. I mean, if you really look at the first three games, you really have a lot of plays and I think he was kind of into the game, and you know, it was felt good. And you know, because Serak has always connected with him and he likes to rotate the guys and take care of Nick, and there just haven't been as many defensive plays I think so far in the first few games, and you know, Nick was into and I think we just, you know, we got to protect him and be smart about it so that we keep him as fresh as possible for the longest period of time. But I think he just, you know, felt like he was he was good. If Nick's good, then he's going to get a lot of reps.
Speaker 4: And watched the Patriots offense on the film, what what stands out to you about them?
Speaker 3: Well, they can they can really run the ball. I mean they're they're aggressive, they're physical, they have a very good plan, they're very well coached, two really good running backs, a line that knows how to block. They have good scheme, and then Brissette really is a good fit in that system and how he performs and how he plays, and you know he sees the game right. He protects the ball, he can make the throws that he needs to make, and he can move really well. I think they're just a tough team, reflection of the coach and the coaching and respect for those guys. I mean, they're really big backs that can cut, they can run. It's just overall physical team.
Speaker 4: When you got a rough patch like this, do you do you sit back and think we're going to try some new things and shape things up, or you have to guard against that.
Speaker 1: It's better.
Speaker 3: I think it just it depends depends on what you're doing good. You got to look at yourself and then also it's that week who you're playing, so you got to evaluate what are we doing, what can we be better. At a lot of times you can pinpoint that you don't want to just go off the reservation because you know you know who you are, you know what you want this defense to be. But then also how does that tie into who we're playing? You know, the most important thing is how do we win this game? So it's not so much you know, you're looking at what you've done and what needs to be better, and you identify it, and I think we talk about it, We identify it, and then all right, is that going to affect How much does that affect this game? What do we need to do specifically to win this game and beat this team?
Speaker 4: Drake may do you watch just in case they decide to make the quarterbacks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you watch them both. I mean we've seen a lot of tape. I mean there's only been a few games, and those guys did play in the preseason, so you know, you look at the scheme and of what they've done in the past. But he's a talented quarterback too.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about the process of calling defenses in a game when you're doing for the first time and how you prepare to do that in the difference? Is it faster? Is it?
Speaker 3: I think a lot of guys a lot of the preparation is done now, it's done during the week, and you kind of prepare for the situations. There are tweaks that you do have to Sometimes you can pre think, okay, this, if this happens, we're ready to go to this that you might have some tweaks in game. That's why you always hear people talk about halftime adjustments. Sometimes you have those, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you don't need them necessarily, or you decide that you don't, you know, need to have something called that you have on the sheet based on what they're deciding to do, and you're just kind of figuring each other out and seeing how it's working within the game. But I think primarily most of the work is done throughout the week, you know, and.
Speaker 2: It replicates it like before you get into a game, is there anything that the.
Speaker 3: Oh not really preseason games are cool and then me personally not having done it. My favorite part of training camp was the unscripted move.
Speaker 2: The ball periods.
Speaker 3: I think those are invaluable for someone who hadn't done it before. Thanks guys,