Speaker 1: They get a little they called me broadcasting live from Atlanta, Georgia up to the ball Alert show. I go by the name of for our simus, I go by the name you know, BT, DJ Penny Lane, DJ MO name, DJ Sugar Shame Building.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, ladies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to I want to dive right into a good conversation with some DJs, entrepreneurs, family people, mothers, travelers, DIBs, a sex. Yeah, I've seen each of you, three ladies or b T two in club settings, body and clubs, on the radio, body and radio mixes. I would like to start a Sugar Shae you know, say your name, tell them how to follow you, and you know everything you got going on?
Speaker 4: Okay, I go by the name of DJ Sugar Shae. Mis give me some sugar on my IG is d J s U G A s h A E. I DJ for Total Radio. Well, I was doing radio for seven years, not anymore. I'm a mother of three. When it comes to dogs, I'm a dog mother for baby your.
Speaker 3: For a very mom or whatever. I travel a lot internationally. I DJ. It's a lot of things I do, honestly.
Speaker 1: Just one that competition that j I just one to.
Speaker 3: Netflix DJ competition.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, shouts out to Flight Out DC for putting that together. But yeah, it's probably more stuff than that. But I can't even think I do it all honestly. But I'm just, you know, happy to be here with some dope female DJs.
Speaker 5: So I'm DJ.
Speaker 6: You can follow me on Instagram at DJ Mone, DJ Underscore, m O n A. I do radio a lot of clubs in the city. I have my own podcast roll Wanna Cut DJ Podcasts. Yeah, I DJ for O, R and B artists. Her name is the artist.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, all right, how y'all doing. I'm DJ Penny Lane. I DJ on Radio ninety six point one.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah home team.
Speaker 7: DJ for R and B Royalty, Jagged Edge, and I own recording studios, industry ATLS like eighty five hundred square foot compounds, studios, photography studios.
Speaker 8: Anything you could think of if you name it.
Speaker 7: And yeah, just moving.
Speaker 3: You a mom? Oh I'm a mom.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm a new mom. I got a one year old baby girl. That's like my world. Like I thought I thought other stuff matd. I thought other shit mattered, But now since I had my baby. That's literally like the only thing that matters everything else. It's just like whatever it is, what it is. So yeah, I'm a DJ.
Speaker 2: And the mom.
Speaker 1: I'm getting straight into it. BT. In the industry male dominated, I feel like, and I want you guys to correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like you guys had to work twice as hard, be twice as nice, blend twice as bad, twice as good as your male coworkers. Do you think that is true?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And why I feel like it's it's harder for us because we already have the stigma of like, well, what you're gonna do or whatever, and it's like, we gotta come looking better. If you want to get a sugar shade, you want me to come at sugar shade. So I gotta look a certain way that's first and foremost, foremost, And then yes, I do have to play good.
Speaker 3: I gotta talk on a mic. I have to create a vibe.
Speaker 4: I have to Yeah, I have to be better, because if not, then what's the point of getting the female DJ. I could just got a guy, you know what I'm saying. So it's all around with the presentation and the skill set too, is very important, So we have to work twice as hard to promote ourselves and make sure that we're definitely doing better than the guys.
Speaker 1: Now this is a question, Oh oh, all the answers they can.
Speaker 7: Oh, so yeah, I'm a piggyback on that. I do think that we have to show up.
Speaker 3: Oh my bad, we gotta show up.
Speaker 8: We gotta work extra hard.
Speaker 7: Like when I was getting into the DJ thing, I felt like the DJ cunt is like a click. But I feel like they treat females like infistrators, like.
Speaker 8: Like we not like or then also too, it be like I forgot what I was going to say.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, but but all that too, we do have to come Like when I'm working with Jag, I do have to come look in a certain way. I do have to be sexy, I do have to be fire. So it is it's definitely extra hard, but I feel like I got a good welcome when I came to Atlanta, Like I was working with Ace and Tefline, so I feel like they working with them, A lot of the other DJs respected me and stuff just because they was like, oh, she fucking with them, like she gotta be she gotta be fire. She gotta be you know what I'm saying. So I do feel like it's just definitely tougher for us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree too, But my journey was a little different.
Speaker 6: So when I started, I didn't really dress up because I wanted people to respect me for my actual talent. But when I started doing the bigger clubs, then I saw like, all right, I might gotta put that shit on sometimes.
Speaker 9: So did anybody say that to anybody? Was just like, I mean you.
Speaker 6: Kind of you kind of noticed, like if I'm DJing after or before somebody, and I'm like, well, why am I not closing? It could be because she came in with address on?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that what that was going to be.
Speaker 9: The next question, how do y'all feel about you know, uh, I don't really see a lot of female DJs closing, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I've been in the game ten plus years. The whole closing thing is it's a conversation that depends on if you headlining and different things like that. But do I want to close in the city where y'all going to probably try to pay me the same as the opener, I'm going home at twelve o'clock, rubbing my feet together, watching lifetime.
Speaker 3: I'm not here to do that.
Speaker 6: I feel like, or do you want to close in a city where you don't know who's watching you in the club and you got to go home by yourself?
Speaker 3: Like that's happening either way?
Speaker 6: Wow, we don't like, don't want to be okay, that's in general minds is completely different.
Speaker 7: Like I'm trying to get home like I got I feel I take it to heart, like being in a bill with my baby, Like it'd be like how be out in the club, So I prefer.
Speaker 1: Now to do something earlier time shift?
Speaker 6: Wow, dang, But what female DJs we do get respected more when it comes to like what price we want? So open it up for us is like why would I want to close?
Speaker 1: Wow? So you will get a little bit more to open.
Speaker 3: You should get more closed, you should get more money to close.
Speaker 4: But a lot of times these promoters that try to give the opener and the closes of the same price.
Speaker 3: So what am I here busting my ass for?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, trying to prove myself and really it's nothing to prove at the end of the day, after you donet made a name for yourself. So it's like knock yourself out. For me, it's like, let the younger kids have it. I done did it. I don't been at Cafe Circle on a Saturday from three pm to three am for years, you know what I'm saying. And to be piggyback off of what she said, Like my first nine years of the game, it was all about the skill set, the I didn't care about how I looked or none of that. I didn't give a fuck about that. It was mainly about I want to be respected. I want to I want to out hustle everybody as far as I'll work all day. I don't give a fuck like you want to add another gig. It's times I would DJ from twelve pm to four in the morning, just go from one gig to the next one.
Speaker 3: I did that shit for years. So now I was like, I pay my dues.
Speaker 6: And then we're not trying to be around the promoters after they done drunk three bottles.
Speaker 1: I'm about to head there.
Speaker 3: But they do that on a check in. If you that, they just gonna try you regardless, like the ready.
Speaker 1: So I'm about to head there. I love all three of you guys like my sisters.
Speaker 2: For real.
Speaker 1: I've known each of you guys over five years. I want to say close some of you guys maybe close to ten, especially YouTube. You know, what I'm saying is a little newer. So as a very attractive DJ, female DJ, how do you guys navigate? First of all, people coming to the boots to request music that's already annoying but security okay, but what about now you got the guys saying, hey, what's up? Oh shit?
Speaker 2: What's up? Like?
Speaker 1: Are there annoying moments that you guys be like a man? You're doing too much while you're trying to mix. Why you're trying to DJ? Someone's trying to holler at you about this? Someone's actually trying to hoghller at you while navigating through a club, body in the club, DJing, mixing, all these things going through your mind, and you got to deal with all the extra stuff about being a woman and the DJ PAINNY I want you to go first.
Speaker 7: I feel like I feel like I don't know what it is because I literally just was having this conversation with another female DJ, like a few days ago, and she was just saying about how the DJ's be trying her and this and the third and I feel like I don't deal with that. I feel like I get a certain level of respect for but like niggas know not to play with me. Like niggas know I get money, they know all of that shit. So if you got come a certain way, you got come correct whatever. Then, like I said, the people who I came up with down here, they respected them, so they showed me another level of respect. Then on top of that, like's I didn't covered every angle. I didn't went to scratch academy with niggas can really scratch about it than me. I didn't fucking did like I didn't did put myself in a position where I feel like they can't really fuck with me. And I think when people be intimidated to buy people that don't really fuck with them and don't I don't have that. Niggas don't be trying me. Niggas don't try me about my paper. Niggas don't like, they don't do none of that. I don't really what about the people in the crowd though, Like the crowd don't even I don't like I'm trying to think, like the crowd don't be bothering me like I always got And then to be other niggas that really fucked me.
Speaker 8: Or I fuck with me, they be right there gatekeeping.
Speaker 7: I guess, like nobody don't really fuck with me. Like I don't deal with that. Like I feel like maybe a few times when I.
Speaker 6: Was coming up, but now no, yeah, like I said, like you said, like I'm a little newer to the city, I have had that happen. But something you just gotta let niggas know, like I'm not.
Speaker 5: Going for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Majority of the time I've been in relationships in my career, and I think a lot of times I've been in relationships to protect myself, you know what I'm saying in a lot of ways. So I took this serious as far as becoming a DJ, because I was a bartender turned DJ. So I've been in the club since I was eighteen years old, coming from New York, moving here or whatever to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, like I just.
Speaker 1: My camera barton never so coming next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean it come with it.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, if you attract the female, I don't care if you DJ or if you whatever it is, and people in that space they drinking or whatever the case may be. There's a level of you could be nice or be cool, but you know, no, not to cross the line. But I don't mind being cool or whatever. I don't have to. It's not like, oh, I'm you know, all outside and all of that type of stuff. It just is what it is, Like, I'm cool. I know niggas like females. So you can not only just the dudes. You gotta think the females. We in Atlanta, like you might get hit on by the.
Speaker 3: Girls words and might try to fill you up, like maybe girls like a little.
Speaker 5: Bit more intimidated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, because I know I'd be looking me half of the time, but that they.
Speaker 2: Like that, it's scary.
Speaker 1: It's I always want to ask you, guys, this's the women.
Speaker 8: They be extra and they'd be bold to really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I always wanted to ask you this, do you guys play for the women or the women?
Speaker 3: That's that's that was the cheat code. I feel like before.
Speaker 4: Before female DJs became really like popular because when we came in the game, it probably we could count how many was out here. Right now it's very popular even with social media. But that was the cold you feel me the dudes was just you know, doing what they do. We came in the game and we got the girls moving absolutely, So the guys don't care they playing their homeboy song. They trying to break this record. They play trying to play the hottest record that's like the you know, the most trappiest song they could think of. We come in and just set the vibe and then now it's like now the dudes are opening up to that, and it's like all right now, y'all, you know, dropping different records.
Speaker 6: From you know, I'm bad idea to let a female close the club because we listened to music different than men do.
Speaker 1: So you guys have a okay, would you say you have a completely different ear than your male co workers? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not the R and B lovers, some of them they be knowing.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you guys would be better R and B DJs than of course, I'm not trying to put nothing against nothing. I'm just saying because usually I feel like I was just always taught as a DJ and as a host, you play towards the women in the club because then the guys will follow the women. That's just how it go. So I feel like, who better than a female DJ to do an R and B party.
Speaker 2: Right, You don't see a lot of females doing R and B parties. I do.
Speaker 3: That's mainly my lane.
Speaker 4: Really, that's all I get booked for most majority of the time, and it's other stuff.
Speaker 3: I want to get into other genres.
Speaker 1: But R and B is you could play some shit that mother'd be like, oh, I forgot about that. I'm gonna play just the ship that I'm not R and B. I want to hear bang bang kill, shoot them up.
Speaker 7: You find it interesting when certain male DJs like do the R and B because it gives.
Speaker 8: Me like, oh, this is what the niggas like, like, oh.
Speaker 7: Song like that? I don't know, and I don't get sucked up. It's some fire R and B like male DJs.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree. I just I've never seen with my two eyes a female uh do an R and B party. I'm just gonna I'm gonna be a little ignorant. I don't really like R and B like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hates.
Speaker 1: My wife loves R and B, so I played to her right, so I know what she likes. So if I'm doing some R and B vibes, I'm gonna play what I know My wife likes, which will then intend mother be like, what the hell do you even knowing about that? Cheeko? That's my cheakote. However, I just never saw a female.
Speaker 4: I mean, every Thursday don with Mixed Master, David Whiskey, Mistress R and.
Speaker 1: B Party, I need to come to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and miss Fire we playing everything, I mean from the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties to now, like it's everything.
Speaker 1: Mixed Master got a deep a deep bag absolutely told me we had like thirty thousand songs on his laptop.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, okay, yeah, that's that's the way right now. Honestly, I feel like one, you know how Atlanta is once one thing hit and it's like ten thousand R and B parties.
Speaker 1: Now yeah yeah, okay, So all right, I hate to say it, but I know you ladies have personal lives as well. What is that like as a entrepreneur, because you guys are serial entrepreneurs. You you get paid to entertain, and then you have to have multiple things of income as well, because you know, you can't just do one thing, and especially in Atlanta, you know, starting with you, Sugar Shade, what how does your what does your personal life look like? As who you are.
Speaker 4: My personal life right now is like super busy. I don't have time for nothing.
Speaker 1: Like so youn't have time for personal life.
Speaker 3: My personal life.
Speaker 4: Majority of the time. When I need that time, I'm out of town or I'm out of the country. Honestly, when i'm literally I live in Atlanta to work. You know, if I'm not working, I'm not here. So if I need to get away to where I don't have to worry about things happening, I have to go out of town so I can like really like unwind. So if I am with a you know, an individual or the person that I deal with, I'm out of town majority at the time because that's where I feel more at peace. But when I'm home, it's constant. I have a tight schedule to run. I got dogs at you know me, and I have like, you know, all this business stuff I have to do, you know what I'm saying, just like we have to turn in mixes, invoices and making sure this is sent over. Like I have to dedicate just maybe my mondays to just making sure all my pa you know, all of that stuff is handled.
Speaker 3: So it's like you have to really be serious about.
Speaker 4: This because it's not a joke, you know what I'm saying, And you feel guilty when you're not doing that because it's somebody else that's out here really.
Speaker 3: Like you know, doing what they need to do, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you can miss one second or something or opportunity, so you always got to be on it. So really, the only time I have a personal life is when I'm not here.
Speaker 6: So my personal life I just choose like to stay off of social media, so I don't post my personal life like so people feel like they know me, but you only know what I post. So that's how I keep my sanity. But like she said, I'm always busy, Like from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, I'm always doing something.
Speaker 7: Okay, oh same, always busy, but I do obviously I got.
Speaker 1: A baby, so but you have a new baby.
Speaker 7: And I personally like the guys I date. I personally date like guys who I know are not jealous type of guys I'll date like mister moms, like I need a nigga that could cook.
Speaker 8: Because I'm not.
Speaker 7: I'm so busy and I'm traveling all the time, and I don't so I'm not in the kitchen cooking.
Speaker 8: My nigga could cook or you can.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's that's that's dope.
Speaker 7: Not jealous, he's not. He's a team player. Like he's whatever I need, whatever, he's right with.
Speaker 8: It, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So and I personally like like I just just what I prefer to date, Like I prefer like when I even when I meet a nigga be like, do you know how to cook? Do you know how to X y Z? Do you know how to can you fulfill? Like like that's just a quite like you know how guys were looking for a girl who could cook clean And that's me.
Speaker 8: That's what I do when I.
Speaker 4: Have to be like that because we're like our personalities were dominant even for us to be in the position that we in. We dominate, so we can't even deal with certain type of guys.
Speaker 3: So you gotta fall in.
Speaker 4: You just signed up to be an assistant. Didn't even realize the ship you get like you did, and it just is what it is. And sometimes we try, I've tried to date guys.
Speaker 1: That's like a willing assistant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, willing, absolutely, you know what I'm saying, you gotta do it with a smile.
Speaker 5: I don't really like you. He's gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Now, what do y'all get y'all names from?
Speaker 4: Okay, so, uh, my homegirl Tiffany Fox shout out to Yes, Saint Louis or whatever. I've been cool for like fifteen years and like I've been sugar Shehet for like mad long, Like that's my best friend, She's she that. Yeah, sugar Shehet has always been my name, just even before DJ. And so once I decided to DJ, I wanted something that was already connected to me, so it just made sense.
Speaker 3: It was already a persona was already a thing.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, pretty simple? Is my middle name?
Speaker 1: Okay? I like yours? Well, first of all, I like all three y'alls, but I like yours because it's a penny and it's like a little it's a little logo.
Speaker 7: Y'all gonna probably laugh and how I got my name? But like, all right, so boom, I ain't start DJing. I started j I'm like twenty seven, right, so I've graduated college, had my degrees, I was working in corporate for ten years, right, so I'm finally I'm asking God like, y'all, I gotta get out of this, like I.
Speaker 8: Ain't trying to.
Speaker 7: I don't want to do this shit no more, Like I need da da da Can you move it around in.
Speaker 8: My life, make it happen for me? So Boom, one of my homeboys like, yo, I had a dream. I feel like you should dj DJ. He's like, no, yes you can.
Speaker 7: He's like, I had a dream, and he's like, I'm a teacher and my dream he wasn't somebody that I dealt with all the time or whatever, like we were cool and then so I'm like, no, I brushed it off.
Speaker 8: Then seeing him again, he's like.
Speaker 7: Bro, I keep having this dream that you need to DJ, and he like, just do one lesson with me, like no harm, no foul, whatever. So we did the lesson x y Z and I'm catching on and I'm wucking with it. I already love music all that shit. So Boom, as I'm practicing, I gotta coming out. He praanted me like a coming out party. I don't have no name yet. So I'm like, I'm driving to work one day, It's like six o'clock in the morning. I'm driving to work and Drake is on the radio and this nigga like it's happened in Penny Lane, just like you said.
Speaker 8: I was, like, my name was DJ.
Speaker 7: Penny, like I fucking said it was.
Speaker 8: So yeah, that's literally how I got my name.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So as again, entrepreneurs, what's like your end plan? Do you have a goal end result? Like is there a retirement type of plan that you guys have?
Speaker 7: So I feel like I don't like I'm about to be Jersey Jeff fifty sixty still fucking DJing, but not just only DJ and it's just that, you know, I do got I got recording studios, and I got artists.
Speaker 8: My artists can camp.
Speaker 1: On the top of the bottom.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got a producer, scientist.
Speaker 7: I'm about to put out some music, about to do the okay for all that type of stuff. And then I'm transitioning and my R and B to my top forty to all that type of shit. So I just got a whole another little campaign because ever since I had my baby, I ain't I haven't went back to the clubs, Like I sound like a stripper.
Speaker 1: That's another episode on the way, by the way.
Speaker 7: It's like I was telling y'all like I like it's just like I just can't be not home with my baby, like like you feel me.
Speaker 1: So whatever works for you though, right right on the.
Speaker 7: Radio still and I do go through my fly y'all, do my dates and come right back the next ding and ship like that. But so yeah, like my end plan is a lot of ship, Like I plan to take this all away millions and millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Now you got a dope podcast, DJs Need Love to You featured meet on there. I appreciate you having me. I think that was a couple of years ago, but run that back for sure.
Speaker 6: But like, yeah, the podcast, and then I do have a business up and coming. Don't want to talk too much about it, okay, but because I don't want to be in the clubs as much. But I still do want a DJ long term though, but just when I want to.
Speaker 4: My end goal is just my time and my freedom. So I really want to live off the grid in another country, okay, and DJ when I feel like it, like when I want to, and it's gotta be like fuss and things like that, but I really want my time. I want to be able to just you know, I'm about the residuals at this point, make my investments.
Speaker 3: Do it I need to do. But I'm chilling.
Speaker 4: I want to get up and do whatever I want to do, you know what I'm saying. And that's just that. Like I want spaghetti today, I am going to Italy. Like that's the life that I want, like with my dogs, and I'm cool. I don't want the kids, like I'm cool on that.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't.
Speaker 3: I do not want children.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you already have your fur babies.
Speaker 3: Absolutely want in spirit.
Speaker 4: I can't talk about that because I'm gonna cry. Yeah, but one in spirit. But yeah, I'm a dog mom and yeah that's cool. That's all I want for a for real. Just my time, my freedom. I feel like time is so we put so much emphasis on money, but time is the ship.
Speaker 3: Like I love that and I just want to be away.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, speaking on money, does.
Speaker 9: I guess the the uh what DJs make right now in Atlanta? Does that kind of take away from like really like the love of like wanting.
Speaker 2: To like be motivated to go do a club.
Speaker 8: Now I get paid, Yeah, I get paid what I want to.
Speaker 4: I get paid what I want to, But I don't I wouldn't say the money.
Speaker 3: I would feel like, honestly.
Speaker 6: Maybe burning yourself out, like working too much.
Speaker 3: I would say it's the crowd.
Speaker 4: When I DJ other places, they have so much fun and they're ready to receive it. DJing in Atlanta is like a I literally feel like I'm about to fight somebody. I'm on a defense. When I go other places, they be like, yo, you can relax. You could just chill enjoy. I don't even know how to do that because on DJ and Atlanta it's like, literally, I'm about to fight somebody. That's why, because I'm trying to see what you want, how you want this, and you got the promoter telling.
Speaker 3: You will turn up, but it's an R and B party, So turn up? What do you mean? Like, what are we talking about? You know what I'm saying. It's annoying.
Speaker 4: It's like y'all taking away from the aesthetic of how this ship is supposed to go. You can even create a vibe because they don't even like that. Everything rushed and so you know, I don't like that. Really, that's it's not the money, because I do get paid what I want, but it's just the whole it's the vibe.
Speaker 3: Like, why am I here? I could have stayed at home for this shit.
Speaker 6: I DJ a a party, big party on a Friday, and this was my first time doing that party, and a promoter up it was like, can I get a Drake set? I said, I'm gonna really feel like playing on Drake right now. And I said, I'm not the DJ. I'm not gonna say the DJ's name, but I'm like, I'm not him, so I don't want.
Speaker 5: To play Drake.
Speaker 9: Work.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Now she's again, See he never booked you again? You didn't do tell me?
Speaker 8: Ain't I want to book you, but you're too expensive. I'm like, well, at least you know appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But that's what And that's what happened to me after. I'll tell you I said this from the last DJ episode. I was DJing and y'all see me. I was Damnar seven days a week BT same thing, and my wife had our last baby and all my gigs. You know, I just took a break. I felt like I deserved it. I had been DJing so long. I've been in the club since I was eighteen, so I'm forty two. Now, that's how long I've been in the clubs, so I had took a break, and then when I was ready to come back, everybody was like, man, for I got this young guy and he's doing it for two hondred I'm over here.
Speaker 9: He gonna grow up one day words, and so I could have.
Speaker 1: He was like, oh, can we negotiate. I was like, no, I'm not negotiating. IM already give you a discount. And that's when I just stopped for a little bit. I haven't been back. I go back if he want me to come back, and we'll do some ship for the ball or show on the big weekend or something like that. But shit, I'm cool. I just I be DJing on the radio now and I touch away more people.
Speaker 3: I go around love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I go around aid to.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: And I don't care if it's like off the you know, like, yo, why you dj R because it's not the hottest spot.
Speaker 3: Because they pay me good. You know what I'm saying. I'm eating chicken wings, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They'll pay me right as soon as I get there or before I get there. I don't got to call you and search for my bro.
Speaker 6: All my gigs, I have now I get paid the same night, Like that's what my gigs.
Speaker 5: I get paid the same night.
Speaker 4: And they know what you do. They ain't stressing you. Everybody's having a good Let you rock out, you.
Speaker 2: Know what it is. The women don't figured it out.
Speaker 6: DJ men you have to when you when somebody tries to bookie, you need to go ahead and put on the table what you expect, like this is what I want.
Speaker 7: Or that's why I have lost it because they hit me, they booked me or whatever they like, Yeah we do thirty I said I do today.
Speaker 2: What I.
Speaker 1: Got that today?
Speaker 5: That's like my second question when it's payout, because.
Speaker 1: It has to be that's usually my first question.
Speaker 4: My thing is too, not that I have a question, but I feel like we need to talk about how people miss the fact that DJing period is very emotional. It's very emotional, even for the men. A lot of the men are so emotional, like oh my God, like people have died over this ship because it's very emotional.
Speaker 1: It's a feeling because when you DJ, it's a feeling.
Speaker 4: They get so high or not only just that the competitiveness and I'm better than this nigga that nigga, like, yo, just do you who cares you? Feel me like, nigga, be ready to fight you over that ship. And it's like even for when we come into the picture, they looking at us like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like it's like like I don't.
Speaker 1: Give a fun Yeah, yeah that happens. Oh no for shore. One time I'm a boy Alpo, they had me al pole, but luckily I posed my friend and we talked on the side and I quit because it was just too much jounk.
Speaker 4: People have died over this ship. DJs have died over jealousy for sure.
Speaker 9: Why I do feel like people in the clubs try to pin people against each other because like I dodn't been there, I done got booked the host places and they'll be like, oh, well, well you know such and such du it for this. I'm like, shit, go book that, nigga.
Speaker 3: I'm out word. It's not a p You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I started as a home I started as a host, got bored because I was doing all a G parties and I just got bored. And then at the last thirty minutes of AG party, I would just get on with dj A's DJH would let me DJ for the last thirty minutes and then they was like, bro, you all right? So I bought some DJ equipment and I never forget a sneaker. A sneaker event offered me two grand to DJ this event, right. I was like, I don't know how the DJ as he was like, Nigga, I'll give you a quick tutorial. And ever since then, I was like, ah, I I ain't had no music or nothing. Majority of my library, thank god, one time my boy DJ A's majority of my album A library is DJ A's and DJ Bluetooth. I got all their music and at the time I wasn't blended because I didn't know how to blend. I was playing the song is to go off and play another song because it was a DJ sneaker event. It was a sneaker event. And yeah, ever since then I started DJ. But yeah, man, it's all emotion. I appreciate you ladies. We do got one more thing. You got another question?
Speaker 9: Uh not really listen to something that y'all want to touch on and talk about.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to do something called the mental health check in when you guys are you know again? We didn't talk to money long it's not called a bad day, I know. Right, So if you're having a moment, Penny Lane, you start, what do you What does Penny Lane do when she's having a moment, a bad day or a moment? What do you do? Do you meditate? Do you talk to a therapist? Like what do you do to feel bad?
Speaker 8: No? No, I get this.
Speaker 7: I'll be cussing everybody out, every name in the book, like if I be in the house all day, like just fucking talking ship you Like, I like that's what I just. I gotta get my ship off, like I gotta get my shirt out, and then like I don't really need that's my therapy for real, Like I ain't talking whatever it is. I'm talking all mad cast ship like I'm talking all types of ship. And then until I felt that's how I do because I ain't. I mean, I don't do the therapy and all of that, although I believe in therapy some people I believe in that. But yeah, if I'm having a bad day, I get my ship off and then I'm a shopper, like I go spend some money, buy some ship out.
Speaker 6: Like for me, well, I can say like recently I did I lost my dad. So I went to work the same day, but I just cry, Like that's how I get my emotions out.
Speaker 3: I'm a cryer.
Speaker 5: And probably go for a walk.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what you do. You go for walks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like bike ride, walk like anything outside.
Speaker 4: Okay, So yeah, for me, I just get it out in the gym, like I go crazy.
Speaker 1: And I thank you.
Speaker 4: I'll lift weights, I box, I'll do whatever I need to do because I'm very introverted, you know what I'm saying. I don't I don't like to do a lot of arguing and stuff like that. I just literally put my piano on in my headphones and just go crazy for two hours, five days a week if that's what I need to do, and then catch a flight. So it's like, honestly, whenever I'm not in Atlanta, I am. I am me When I when my plane sets foot on the runway in Atlanta, I just be like it's like and I hate to be like that, but it's something I don't know if it's low vibration.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is. But it doesn't sit on my spirit no more.
Speaker 4: But it's like I have to get away because it does put me in a very negative spirit, like, but when I'm going, I'll be having a fucking blast.
Speaker 2: What's some of your favorite places of to.
Speaker 4: Loon is like my favorite right now? Like that's almost like my homeland. Like that's how I like to me too. I feel like, am I Mexican? Like what's going on? Like I really love it, Like I could go there. I literally, honestly I would live there. Like that's how much I love it because time stop and it's just so therapeutic. It's spiritual. So I'm on that type of you know, I'm very spiritual. I'm in tune. I get everything so I could feel it. So that's where I'm on right now.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm from Florida originally right outside of Disney World. This is a city called Kasimi. Nice, big ass Airbnb's pools, everything. Just take the wife and the kids down there and I just be cool. I had my little vacation. I tried to do it once a year for a week. Oh man, I'm telling y'all, like shit, you could you know, I have a family, So I got five kids, wife, blended family too, so two of my kids don't live with me. But but yeah, man, I appreciate you guys. I have a lot of respect for you guys individually.
Speaker 2: What do you do BT, I told you he walked, Yeah, I walked like.
Speaker 9: Get in my sugar shape bag and I'd be like, man, I'm about to take I'm like, I'm going to Miami. I go to Mexico and all I need to do is be bosting waters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to have a flight book.
Speaker 4: Like as I'm waiting for my like to get home, I have another flight book before I get I cannot take it.
Speaker 3: Like it's at least twice a month. I have to be gone. I have to or I'm not gonna be okay.
Speaker 9: Man, I missed those days before I did radio full time.
Speaker 3: That's why I want to do radio.
Speaker 9: When I tell you he no, I used to, I mean having to stay on him, bro, I like, immediately look in my flight I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: I called him at least two three times a bro, don't forget we got this, because then we gotta do this, after this, this, after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I do feel you though, like Atlanta do kind of get like low vibrations.
Speaker 4: It's it's sad to say, because I really this city like made me who I am, even though I'm, you know, born in New York, but it's changed.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is. If it's like the like I am from out of time. I don't know. After COVID, I don't know what's different, but it's just.
Speaker 1: It, don't I want to say, after COVID to me, I don't feel right. It was definitely a shift. I didn't like the shift, but I also would say, like everything is like about everything seems transactional. And when everything's transactional, you got remember I've been here since two thousand and nine. Sous I graduated college. I went to grad school, dropped out. I told my parents I was gonna be on the radio. They was like, what I'm gonna show you? So I moved up here and it was just so open and friendly and helpful. And I want to say after I want to say the shift that I saw and personalities and everything being so transactional, it was twenty twenty one. Yeah, I don't know what happened, but in twenty twenty one everything became so transactional. The big clubs are no longer. Everything's restaurants. And what can you do in a restaurant?
Speaker 2: Bro? Well, I think I think the economy.
Speaker 7: I felt like, y'all, man, I don't really I feel like we was having this conversation went away here, like I'm from up north, I'm from Philly. Like I feel like this is peaceful, Like I feel like you could get involved with what you want to get involved, or you could just be out the way like I be out.
Speaker 1: See that's the thing. I'm out the way. But I never used to be out.
Speaker 2: So you're coming from Philly. Yeah, so I've been to Philly.
Speaker 1: It's peaceful here com Philly. Philly is very like assion.
Speaker 2: Philly is really aggressed.
Speaker 1: I would like to say with my camera, I would like to say Philly is a lot more aggressive than New York.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, no, I've never.
Speaker 9: Seen when Philly don't even talk to each other like I'm talking about it is like you see a whole bunch of people talk to you New York, bro.
Speaker 3: Won't We're gonna walk past our cousin.
Speaker 1: They may look at you though, Philly mother to be like I'm over here, like yeah, it's scary.
Speaker 9: Like even when you go to restaurants like I wouldn't have I would to Philly when I did usher.
Speaker 1: Tour and I was like, man, I'm in Philly.
Speaker 2: I would have get a Philly tees.
Speaker 9: Second, I went to a restaurant and it's like the quietest restaurant I've ever been in.
Speaker 2: Like nobody's talking.
Speaker 8: It's like here.
Speaker 7: Whatever, it's like, excuse me sorry, it's like back home. You ain't like Leo, where the you going?
Speaker 8: Like yourself?
Speaker 7: Like you know what I feel? That's what I feel like. It's so peaceful down here. If you don't want to get involved with the bullshit, you don't have to. You could be in your space wherever you like.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to look at it, though, So I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't feel like that. I don't feel like i'd be needing a break or like one of that.
Speaker 2: Now I'll be feeling like Also, like the economy got people.
Speaker 9: You know, a lot of people that were making a lot of money before the pandemic they not making that money.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's almost like when you talk angry, they are angry.
Speaker 9: And it's like when you talk to somebody, you're right right, it's all transaction. It's like, how can I make money off you? It's not even like you know, I used to get calls, people checking up on me, people seeing like, oh man, I ain't seeing you out like where you being?
Speaker 2: I don't hear from none of these folks know.
Speaker 1: To try and borrow some money from me. That she's crazy a couple, y'all need me some money. But Penny Lane, start with you. Just popular ship anything you got going on, go ahead and promote it as we close out.
Speaker 7: You can follow me on the Instagram Penny More Proud, Penny More Proud. You can follow my business industry n D s t r O y A t L industryatl dot com. I'm about to drop my music next month, drop my videos, my content, go on that little run.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 5: Sorry, can you repeat that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Just pop your shit. Whatever you got going on promoted.
Speaker 5: Like I said.
Speaker 6: Follow me on Instagram at DJ Underscore m O n a E. I do have a DJ podcast. We interview DJ's, give them their flowers, and we do it at Penny Spot.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, but April twenty second, we are doing our three year anniversary.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: DJ sugar Shay mis give me some sugar. You can follow me at DJ s u g A s h a E. And I mean our DJ for Total. So we're gonna we're back out doing some spot days. Just got off of the Queens of R and B tour. We was going crazy all summer. But I don't know, I'm everywhere, you know what I'm saying, So I do a lot of different things to just follow me and just you know, keep up with the stuff I got going on. But I'm really you know, right now it is the first quarter, I'm kind of like, you know, laying load, getting my up. You gotta know, you gotta know when to chills, so you know, just taking care of me right now.
Speaker 3: But you know, stay tuned.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, my bad, I mean to cut you off.
Speaker 7: I DJ on I heard ninety six point one Today's five o'clock. Jack and has just put out their eleventh studio albums. So we're about to go on a crazy tour starting next month. So you can check us out, check me out.
Speaker 2: The album's fired to by the way.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, I'm like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it all right, man, Hey man, another great episode. We appreciate you ladies. We gotta definitely do a part two in front of a live audience. Yeah, so we get some Q and A from the audience.
Speaker 2: I appreciate.
Speaker 4: I feel like we needed a couple more questions of Like I felt like we need some more questions.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's what I said.
Speaker 1: I said, Hey, is it something y'all want to get on chair? What you want to do?
Speaker 4: Like, because a lot of times they be trying to be like with being a female DJ, like they they want us to judge others and how they present themselves or is that.
Speaker 3: Too what's too sexy? What's okay? What's appropriate?
Speaker 4: What's you know what I'm saying, Like they be on that type of shit and it's just like why do we go? It's people in general, like they feel like it's it's like a fine line that you can cross or you can't cross.
Speaker 2: Or you know, talking about when you come in dress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, period as a female DJ, like what's too far? What's okay? What's okay?
Speaker 1: So let me let me let me position this. Then when you guys are dressing for a gig, do you guys get judged based off of what you wear to the club or to a gig?
Speaker 4: Or they probably feel like certain girls have gotten certain opportunities because they are more willing to be more sexual, you know what I'm saying, versus caring about the skill you feel me like stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So it's like we can't come to the club with a Nike take on.
Speaker 7: Like I even even to the point where like like I mean I dressed down, like I'm not wearing shoes to the club nor or I did that like when I was first coming up, and do you know that I did all the shoes.
Speaker 8: Then it got to the point where I want to be comfortable. But then when I go to my shoulds and I can put this shit on, like I'm so, I do.
Speaker 1: Feel like do you guys DJ and heels?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it depends to stand up for mad long.
Speaker 1: That's a three hour shift potentially four next day. So what's a comfortable, appealing shoe that you guys will wear outside of a sneaker?
Speaker 4: I mean, if I'm gonna put a love on, if I'm gonna put a live on, I mean you if I'm behind the boot, who's gonna see that?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Long as you walk, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: The right way, we know how to fix it up and make it look nice, but you know, it just be a lot I hear a lot of that combo about like well look at this or this person, she ain't got no clothes on.
Speaker 1: And I feel like and that's a promoter or somebody else, other DJs.
Speaker 3: Or just people, your mentors, just anything.
Speaker 2: Well people try to tell y'all how to dress.
Speaker 3: It not even tell you how to how to promote your brand.
Speaker 4: It's a certain way to like present yourself or just be careful certain things so you don't get certain type of attention in a way, it's like very it's a conversation that pretty much even if.
Speaker 6: You want it to be sexy, it's like you you know, like you'll have to deal with the drunk men come into the DJ.
Speaker 9: Like and and I and I wish that like most clubs would do, like a shout out to stats in in Charlotte. Uh, when I go host there, nobody's even allowed to get into the DJ. But when they got security, like right there, you not nobody a boy to come and request no songs.
Speaker 2: Nobody come.
Speaker 9: It ain't nothing. You see some what's up? But like they security don't play, they not nobody's getting on stage. And I wish a lot of other clubs did that too, to where you know security is protecting the DJ because in a sense of the music go out, it's like life's going out. So it's like you should be wanting to protect that energy space anyways, because I don't want nobody just coming up to the DJ moove like, hey, can you man get out my.
Speaker 8: Face when it comes.
Speaker 6: I like with women if you do, like Mick are weird, so like you could kind of just yo what I'm saying, Like you could dismiss a man and he'll like literally hold that grudge.
Speaker 1: And like I was gonna ask you this, do you gouty? Does Valet allow you guys to park up front?
Speaker 4: I usually always Valet, They just take my car and then somebody always walk me out. But it's like it's every Thursday I had to bring to security attention. This is one guy that I watches him. I watch this nigga, Yo, he's like so weird. It's a time I went up to the bathroom, like not even the main bathroom, went upstairs and then by something in my spirit was like, yo, like what if this nigga standing by the door? I come out, the dude like walking right behind me. I'm like, yo, if this nigga look at me one more time, like I'm gonna get fired because I'll fight him.
Speaker 3: I don't care about that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I'm telling y'all to watch him, you know what I'm saying, because he's very he's weird. I can go out to my car. One time, he like knocked on the door, like yo, this dude, Like I don't feel like he should be here. But there's been times that I had, like guys that cannot come if I'm in there. Not saying you banned from the club, but if I'm working, you can't come in there.
Speaker 1: I've never correct me if I'm wrong. I've never really seen you guys come to clubs by yourself. Correct I come to the I'm gonna just.
Speaker 8: Say no myself, don't.
Speaker 9: Oh well right, I've seen you guys with people sometimes to day people if you come by yourself, are you getting escorted out to your car?
Speaker 8: They always have always get the park.
Speaker 1: I never paid attention to that. And I've been rocking with y'all for a minute.
Speaker 7: And then the other part. I know we talked a lot about like the male and the female, like DJ's et cetera, et cetera. But it'd be a lot of jealousy within the female DJs too, like what you wear, what you're dressing, girl tating on you because of your opportunities or whatever whatever. Girls fake acting like they like you, they don't really fuck with you. Like all type of talking shit behind your back. All that should be going on too, So it don't be just with the biggas.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do y'all?
Speaker 2: How do y'all maneuver through that?
Speaker 7: Me personally, I've got on blonders, Like I don't feel like none of them, none of these people is my competition.
Speaker 8: Like, I got blonders on this what I want.
Speaker 7: I can't DJ every party, I can't be on every station, I can't be at every event. I just got blonder a sept my goals, and I go ahead. I don't be worrying about what nobody else doing, what they got going on, with they wearing like none of that shit. I literally just keep my blinders on, And I feel like that's how I've even been able to just accomplish all my goals and do everything that I wanted to do.
Speaker 5: You feel me, and I just learned I just don't take it personal. This industry. You can't take nothing, and the.
Speaker 9: People that's booking you don't care, Like like, I don't get why people don't understand that. It's like when somebody go and hates on somebody, because I feel like that happens often, you know what I'm saying, Because you you might go to a club and you might body the club right then there might be some people over there just watching you body the club and you never get.
Speaker 2: Booked again, and you like.
Speaker 1: Shit behind the scenes.
Speaker 9: But then but then you thinking, I remember it was such and such that was watching me the whole time, So you know, you.
Speaker 5: Just never know who it probably undercutted you or something.
Speaker 2: Not even that.
Speaker 9: I just I just feel like we had we had we got one of our young bulls.
Speaker 2: Uh he was. He was telling us.
Speaker 9: He was like, man, somebody said I wasn't good and I was doing this party and he was the way he was explaining to us. We so seasoned were like, oh, we already know who got you out the way.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I never forget I was doing. I was closing at this club for about three months and I always got my money. It was cool, negotiated, it was good. Feet too. So one time the promoter had to get he went and got my money for me. He was like how much you get? I was like, yeah, I get this amount. He was like, no, you don't. I was like, yes, I do. I screenshot the text for me and OG sent it to him. He was like, wow, did y'all know that I stopped working there the following week? Whoa true story?
Speaker 9: That's true study hosting and and nobody, nobody like the person, the person that had nothing to do with him getting paid. The promoter had nothing to do with him receiving his money. His deal was going through the owner.
Speaker 1: I always negotiated my deals with owners. I never necessarily did a promoter. If I did a promoter, me and you have a relationship much. But that's what I negotiate with owners. I always talk to owners. That's just who I always dealt with. So if it's a promoter thing that I do something with, that's my homeboy. Or I funk with you and you know you're gonna pay me before I get there type ship. So if I do, or if it's like a favor and the owners paying me from his directly, I'm not getting no money from nothing. That has anything to do with anything. And I have really good, long standing relationships with owners too, like this this is my potma motherfucker's at my wedding type ship. So nigga, you don't nigga, I can get you fired if I want to, but it don't be that. It won't be that deep.
Speaker 2: But he put on a game about that life like years ago.
Speaker 9: He was like, hey, he said, I know you rock with a lot of these promoters, but he was like, start getting started building a relationship with these owners because you're gonna start getting paid more.
Speaker 2: And I start.
Speaker 9: I started doing that, and I remember like one of my one of my DJ potterers, he was like, man, you know this person was saying something about you to the to like one of the promoters, and he was like, but I said, hey, man, that they gonna fire you before they try to get rid of BT, because BT got a relationship with plus owner.
Speaker 6: Plus the promoter ended up like the party ended up like dying down.
Speaker 5: The probably would keep you.
Speaker 9: He gonna keep you, and he gonna add new promoters on to the party. So it's it's like it's more like building yourself up for longevity.
Speaker 1: Really good promoters there are some very good, good business promoters out there shout out to y'all talking about y'all talking about the one very.
Speaker 2: Few though very few.
Speaker 4: Like piggyback off of the jealousy comment like that come with the territory, like you should expect any of that type of stuff, and like just keep it moving, like that's that stuff you welcome.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 4: Ain't no big deal, like longest, like nothing, none of that should bother anybody, honestly, at the end of the day. It's people that's like celebrities like Beyonce, people got shipped say about her. You know what I'm saying, like it come with it, like it just is what it is. So it's definitely not nothing to even worry about or lose sleep or none of that. Ship Like as long as we respectful, like, ain't no big deal.
Speaker 9: And I tell people were stronger together, right, Like if y'all three ladies, if somebody's trying to book y'all, y'all say, man, we all set our price at this.
Speaker 2: The mic can't hear it. We all set our price at this.
Speaker 9: So now when they try to call you to undercut this person, they're gonna be like, damn like what this what the bar said, And I feel like that's the issue, Like that the problem because we had, you know, the guys, they came on the show and they was, you know, frustrated about the pay and stuff like that of what they get for closing. And in reality, if this DJ, if everybody's like, yo, this is our price.
Speaker 2: This is minimal, you know what I'm saying. Now, everybody's gonna be at the same level.
Speaker 9: Some people are gonna be here, some people like this the minimum it would be a bar set tough, like this is what you gotta pay.
Speaker 6: But you got to think about the DJs who don't DJ a lot, that practice all day, who want to be in those.
Speaker 4: And everybody not in the same place in their career for that or money wise, lifestyle wise or whatever. So a five hundred might be seemed good to me, but somebody else might need a stack. Like It's just everybody is in different places, so we can't necessarily do that. And then of course we're in a market in Atlanta where people just they don't give a fuck, they just want to DJ.
Speaker 1: In Future might walk in and I hit the DJ when.
Speaker 3: We don't care.
Speaker 4: We see future walking down the street, like they're not celebrities to us here are not celebrities to come.
Speaker 5: To see little baby baby at the taco spot.
Speaker 3: Right and you're not even tripping it, like not even pulling your phone out.
Speaker 1: Again, you guys are very season veteran DJs. The young ones be taking down their pennies to no penitenden to DJ. And again that's what That's why I'm telling you, Like I just I appreciate you guys pulling up. I would love to do a Part two in front of a live round.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, that would be dope. Yah yo, you know what would be really dope. And this is just an idea that I have, Like if we have the male DJs the female DJs, then we do a Q and A.
Speaker 1: That's fine, you know because we because I have this experience, you know what I'm saying. Everybody expand this because I think the conversation never really happened to the level word involves everybody's comments and thoughts and concerns. Because we did a promoter episode.
Speaker 2: We need to put the promoters in the crowd. And if DJ is on state, look, why are you so cheap? We are?
Speaker 1: We aren't going to get to the bottom of this Valet ship. Oh yeah, we definitely got to have a Valet episode with some Valet guys because Valet Valet. I'm going to cut their ass out. They be fucking up people cars, They be charging one hundred dollars on the bro Come.
Speaker 2: On, everybody, know this is only two people.
Speaker 9: I first, I used to didn't like securities, like at the clubs, because I would just feel like security just be super aggressive. And then when a nigga walking club with a tattoo on his face, they ain't checking him, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But I do want to do the live audience though, I feel like we should collapse.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna were gonna figure it out. I got you.
Speaker 2: We're doing something.
Speaker 1: We're doing something Revolt, which we may be able to do it at Revolt and have a live audience there too, so you know, but if we do it at Petlines, but that might be cool too, if it has some space for a crowd, I'm okay cool.
Speaker 4: I appreciate y'all, ladies, thanks for having us