Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Vintage Souls, a Los Angeles based online vintage boutique recreating custom, one of a kind, nostalgic apparel. Your favorite vintage tease with a twist.
Speaker 2: Follow them at Vintage souls La or visit them online at www dot Vintage souls La.
Speaker 1: Their t shirts are bomb as fuck. Now back to a regular schedule program.
Speaker 3: Mom, I'll put it, it's mine.
Speaker 4: I put it.
Speaker 3: It's mine. I put it, it's mine.
Speaker 4: I put it.
Speaker 3: It's mom. I put it, it's my. I put it, it's mom.
Speaker 5: I put it's I like the domnids who rock yeggs in a set, shout, girls who rock bon tests big. That's in my Africants whose gray manny hours say they own their own business sets and work while they care for kids.
Speaker 4: You know my love Auntie.
Speaker 5: Girls with Sunday best bomb girl, and love that my age chick who make hair goes straight as shit.
Speaker 1: I love how it's in the doup, it's got the quite hair. I love how.
Speaker 4: Bundles bundles hit that plug up.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. But he's good. Mom's bad choices.
Speaker 2: I'm Erica and I'm Mela, and it is hump Day, Happy Wednesday, everybody.
Speaker 1: We have a special guest today. I'm really excited because this is probably the most special guest I've ever had, partly because or most importantly because it's my dad.
Speaker 6: And also just happens to be a RAMS All Star.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're gonna figure out very quickly that Bemoke, me and Tamila don't know anything about football.
Speaker 6: All Star, no Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: To say that I played football Hall of Fame running back Eric Divererson aka my dad. Maybe we should have researched tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Anybody else are like right now research other other people? You know, you just talk to me.
Speaker 1: Welcome, thank you, thank you. We wanted to have my dad on a because we've either both yet to have any of our parents on So you know, first, you guys listen to us every week and you kind of get a feeling about who we are. We talk about, you know, how we've grown up and who we are, but you've never like actually met any of our parents.
Speaker 7: So my dad, here's my dad, Hey, what's happening my daughter?
Speaker 1: We have we shared the same name, you share the same face. Definitely the face I keeps coming in and it's too early for this already.
Speaker 7: What's wrong?
Speaker 1: You want to come in here? Come on, come in here, come on, thank you upset about she's already upset, come on, come on. Okay. Anyway, so obviously he's a father, so you know.
Speaker 7: On parent hunt, I understand.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 7: You know. I used to be like this too. You wouldn't listen like, oh my gosh, but you're a good baby. You know you were.
Speaker 1: I was apparently not great teenager.
Speaker 6: But oh my god.
Speaker 2: Last last week, Eric had told everybody about the time where she sprayed her mom with the waterhouse.
Speaker 7: Oh my god. And then she called, oh my god.
Speaker 6: I was listening to the episode of the car and he told the story again and I was cracking up.
Speaker 1: I said, but I hadn't even heard it. It wasn't my fault.
Speaker 7: I can tell her. I can tell you. Your mom called me. She called me, and she said, can you say bad words on this? She called me, She said, Eric, what are you doing? I said no. She said, I'm gonna kill this little beach.
Speaker 1: She said, I knew. She said I would have said the same thing.
Speaker 7: I said, what happened? She said? She said, First of all, uh, she did they talking to pay for the house or something, tell the people to card in the house. And she said she, I know, she know, I know she know who did it. And I said, well, she might know. I forget that. She's gonna tell me I'm not gonna be your bitch. Oh yeah, she said that that's what you said to your mind. Well her her mom kind of got got a little argument, and then Erica said, I don't know who did it, Mom, I don't know. And then she s Then all of a sudden, men said I but I sprayed it with the hot water holes. And he said, I'm not gonna be your bitch. So I I laughed a little bit. I said, hey, I said, I'm not gonna have a talking to you like that. I said that I will call her. So she hung up. I called you. I called you right away. I said that was going on nothing. I said, you know what happened with your mom? And you proceed you s proceeded to tell me, well she did this. I said, oh, stop right there. I said, I'm not trying to hear that. I said, you said to her, I'm not gonna be Yeah, I said that, you said, but I said, I, I said, Erica, I don't give a damn what your mom that that voice is scared, I said, I said, I said, I said, you're not talking to your mom. I don't care what she did. Talk to your mother like that. You understand, Okay, damn, I said, I say, going into it and going and apologize to her and then called me back when you apologize? So you did what I told you. You went in you you're a good kid. You went anybody, but if man did, I laughed, Oh my god, I was telling everybody. She thought, I'm not gonna be bitch.
Speaker 1: Did you You're not gonna because she made you the car? Yeah, I think that, And then she kept yelling at me. I spread.
Speaker 7: It was so funny.
Speaker 3: She was reading at my.
Speaker 1: As I was cleaning the car, and they're like, how about now?
Speaker 7: So that's it? Because I told you, I said, your mama be on the ground with fighting and rattling around the ground. You said no. I said, well, hell, that's what your mama's gonna do, right, So you know, but like I said, you were good. You a good teenager. Everybody everybody, Well, I can tell you as much I was scared of you. Well, I said one thing and one thing I told you I talked to you about uh and I was dating athletes because I told you that. I said, let me tell you something. I said, I want you to still with atholetes. I mean, I know you like some guys when I f you're guys when you were younger, but nothing serious. And as I know of, I said, still with atholetes. I said, I said, look, I said for me, I said, you know, I know how we are. I know things were going to say. I told you just up front, you old and I said, I said, they're going to tell you all the stuff they wanted you want to hear, to get in your pants, I said. And after that, I said, you just another number. I said. One thing is is that when you become that girl to athletes. I said, it's it's something you can't shake for the rest of your life. I mean, you can't shave, you can't shake that, that stigma you can be an old lady. And I said, oh, that's that old boy.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting seems to be a big hold you.
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean you can't. I mean, because I'm telling you that you you can't shake it. I mean, you really can't. Women that we I see, right, now that I've known thirty something years when that when I was in my twenties, and you know, I was in the twenty they when they twenties. But I know some of the stuff they did and the jacket we put on them like to say it and it's cool day, cool girl. Still you still look at them as that that whle.
Speaker 2: You know, well, that's an interesting a that you're an athlete and you told her first and foremost to not date any other athletes.
Speaker 6: And it's also interesting that that jacket that you wear. You know, if you hoe in your twenties, you're likely to be hoeing.
Speaker 1: We're not likely, but you.
Speaker 7: Know you can change. I mean, look they people women change me and change too. I mean they really do. I mean you don't because it's a lot of women and people dads, they become bothers, they become mothers and grandmothers, and they don't do that much things they did when they were young. But you just can't shake it.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this because I'm sure as an athlete, a lot of I'm not saying you, but a lot of your me too.
Speaker 7: I wasn't I just said me too.
Speaker 6: I'm sure a lot of athletes are promiscuous.
Speaker 7: Oh Wed, look, you ain't got a sugar cot that we hold I was a home yeah, okay, so it's nothing to be proud of.
Speaker 1: You can't agree that.
Speaker 2: That's like, that's the jacket you're going to have to be labeled as because for a prime, like a long amount of time, that was your If you're.
Speaker 7: An athlete, well you know, for a guy, yes, you know, but you know it's different for men. And and now I'm not saying it's right. And let's get that straight right now. You know, when you're young and you're male, you do things I mean and and and men we can do things that women can't do. And it's not saying it's right. It's like, because men, we can have sex with a woman. And okay, be clean up me. I got to hit home to my wife, a girl. Hold on, I'm like, hey, baby, I gotta go home. You know, and have no emotions. We you have, I mean, I really have no emotions. All this is sex to us. Well, women are different, I mean and and and that's just that's that's the reality of it. I Mean, some women, some women can do what men do, but it's just not a good look, it's not even a good look for us. I mean, and you and I'm just being honest about it. When you get older, you see it like that.
Speaker 1: I mean you definitely didn't see it like that.
Speaker 7: I was trying to hit as many as I could. I mean, I mean, I just just the truth. I mean, I was that guy. I mean I was. I mean, I'm saying I was young. I was good looking back in the day. I had, I had the body, and I had I had it all. I had my man. I just got the shower, have my towel so low, log in the mirror. Then I got up there. I got to like I got titties. I gotta go my neck almost like embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Is gone coming gone year A pair of confidence with women and money.
Speaker 7: And started and started. I think the big thing is to start them, you know, you and I and I wasn't that guy that I wouldn't. I was not arrogant, you know I was. I didn't never try to. I didn't like to ain't you know, mistreat women. You know, even like a lot of girls I went out with, even way back then, we're still friends. I mean we're still even get the girl, those kind of girls because you know, I just in some ways I felt bad, but I always try to treat them nice, unless you know, you say something across me, oh man, then then you're finna get the real cursing out. I mean, to a certain point, I'm respectful. I'm I want to be respectful because I feel like everybody has feelings and they do. Even when I was young, I felt like that, but still I was doing what I did. I mean, and you know all of us guys did it. I mean, it was just it was you know, like I said, we'll not to be proud of.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Respect that a lot of men, I think, especially more nowadays, younger guys.
Speaker 1: This generation is a little bit different.
Speaker 6: Not like you can even see like the music and shit that we listened to, like not only do like it's one thing I'll get. I'm a woman, and some of homes it's just hopes.
Speaker 7: Some people are Some girls are just I mean, some women are just they just what they hold they and some guys, I mean, they still try to do that, have that same life at fifty sixty years old, still out that whole and they having three and four. I'm like, what the hell I'm gonna do with three and four women. At fifty years old, I can't hardly stay awake at night.
Speaker 1: But at least, like I'm saying, the difference is, you know, you respect people.
Speaker 8: You might not want to be in a relationship or marry the jack or the guy, however you were respect people.
Speaker 2: And I think my biggest issue with a lot of younger men or men now is that there's like a disrespect and disregard.
Speaker 1: That goes for a women.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of bitches and hose and a lot of name calling, and I think that is kind of homosexual. Well home, I mean, I think he I think you like women, but you like pussy, but you don't like women.
Speaker 7: And I think that's no, it's it's not even that. A lot of it you gotta understand is how you raised. You know, your upbringing. That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: What do you think your upbringing had to do with while you like, I think there's a man, also was just a man.
Speaker 7: I was a man, but I was young and you know my mom and dad. They mean my mom because my dad died when I was seventeen, but my mom kept a close rain on me. I mean, almost like a girl like I can do nothing. I mean seriously, So I was like, boy, when I get out of here, I'm gonna get it. I mean, like the preacher's daughter, the preachers.
Speaker 1: Something, really is it? Because you were an athlete?
Speaker 7: And no, no, my mother was my mom and dad was real strict, they have you know, their morals were, you know, real morals. But you know, my mother was always like, let me tell you some boy, you know you ever hit a woman? If everything about you knowing when I beat your ass, right, you know? And I was and I talked. I was taught at a young age. You know, you don't hit women. You know, you don't disrespect people. And now you're don't let anybody disrespect you either. So that's how I was taught, and I was. My dad always had a saying, you treat people the way you want to be treated. And he told me at a young age. And I still believe that. I mean, I treat a person like I'm not. None of us are better than anyone. I mean, these these bullshit, I'm gonna say it, like the so called like super superstars, you know, different from you know, different from the guy that that delivers the trash. What are you I mean, when it comes time to die, you're gonna die just like I am. They can have the biggest funeral in the world, still gonna put your ass in the ground, you know. So that was that's just that's that's my belief. And I think, you know, some guys, I mean I see it. I still see it now, Guys who got this big head and they and they treat people. Excuse me, my mind kind of fucked up.
Speaker 1: And I don't I don't like it, but you know, I can only imagine how it gets worse as you age out of an app being athlete, like being an athlete that might be that treats people badly or at the top of your game, and then suddenly you're retired and you're not the hottest anymore. Like how do those bath like guys that you came up with, Like, have you seen how how how that has changed them? Or does it make them worse?
Speaker 7: Sometimes?
Speaker 1: Is it humble?
Speaker 7: Sometimes good and bad? So some of them are humble and some of them are even worse because some of us still they they stars people right, and they're right, they are right, but they're not the young guy. They're not the they're not like just cause they're not the Odell Beckham, they're not the Todd gurlies.
Speaker 1: You know, they're not currently playing.
Speaker 7: Those are the current guys and there they are, but some guys think they're still current. You know, like a guy, you know, he'll say, you know, I'm the greatest, I'm the greatest. You know, I guess some guys say that, you know, they feel like they are. But you know it can be humble. You see some guys who are humble by it. And you see guys say, man, I would I would a nice guy. I wouldn't hold a nice guy back then. And you see guys that are you know, that still have that I'm better than you attitude, right, and it just goes both ways.
Speaker 1: But what what was your upbringing? Like?
Speaker 2: Where were you just because I know you're from Texas, where you're like, did you come from like a two parent home?
Speaker 1: Was it pretty normal?
Speaker 7: Well, I'll say as much. Ye, I came a two parent home. I was adopted. Uh, my mother had me when she was fifteen years old. I found my my mom was my I was told she was my sister. So I found out there was a teacher that my mother was my mother, who my real mom was my mother. A teacher told me in school one day.
Speaker 1: Holder you.
Speaker 7: I was, uh, I think I was thirteen and your teacher told you that. My teacher told me, uh yeah, teacher told me.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 7: Yeah. It was out of fighting. Uh. The lady's name was miss Holiday. She's passed away. Miss Holliday was her name. And my mom my real mother's name miss uh miss Holliday or I can't think of. Bonna Ruth Holiday was her name, Bonne Ruth Holiday, and uh, she was my two my teacher and so class was old and she said, s I want to stay up the class area. I said, okay.
Speaker 1: So she like premeditated.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, when I watched it, I going to that. She said, uh. She said, so, uh have you seen your daddy? I said, I said my dad. My dad said home. She said, no, boy, you're real daddy. I said. She said, go home and ask your mom. Go in there. She said, come. My mother called him miss Red. That was uh kind of her nickname. My my my my adopted mother was miss Red Bowler. She was real light, so they call her miss Red. And she said, uh, that's who you're real. You're real. You know your real daddy is so I said, oh, okay, so I onegause I went home.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: And I walked in the house and my my mother was standing Baola. It was my adopted mom. She was really my great great aunt. Yeah, she was standing and my dad was sitting and I said, Mama, I said, uh, who is Richard Seals? And I never I still remember her reply, what who the hell told you that? And I said, miss Holliday, what the hell did she tell you? She said that Richard Seals is my dad. And y'all now my parents. My dad was sitting there and he said and she bought. She went off cause my mother had a bad temper. I mean she was like a pistol packer. I mean I mean seriously, I mean.
Speaker 1: She was no joke cause I never knew that side was like so so much older by the time.
Speaker 7: My r like y how yeah, Mama was. She was tough. I mean she was really tough. Like her dad killed uh killed a man, you know, he was brother killed and killed his wife. I mean they were they didn't mess around, right, And so she said my dad said settle down because she called her red, settle down, Red, sat it down. She said, what the hell did that bitch tell you, And I said, she told me that that that Helen is my real mother and y'all adopted me. And I remember my dad's reply, He said, I knew it was about time for us to tell him. He said, sit down there, But my mama was all us. So she called Helen. It was his next door and she she said, Helen, come over here and told this boy by the Richard and I can I heard the dog the screen door slam. She next and it was about sixty yards away. She come running over. Oh Helen, Helen, Helen, what did that bitch tell you? What did she? I said, So he said, settle down, settle down. My dad was so come set down. So all the women were freaking freaking out. So she said, I told her. I told her. She told me that. She said that you you and my mama and they're not my parents and they adopted me because I would always tell Mama my real mother, Helen because I thought she's my sister. Told me she's my sister. I said she would tell me to do something. I said, you ain't my mom, you can't tell me what to do. And she oh, she said, say she she told me. She later she told me, say said, I'm your mom, your little I said, I tell herself. Because she couldn't say nothing, And so she went over she was gonna kill her. Yeah, she wants she wanted to get the pistol to go kill her. My dad, you know, wouldn't take her take the gun. So she went over to her house. Yeah, went over to her house and beat on her. Bitch opened this door cause she don't. They lived about one hundred yards away.
Speaker 1: For everybody to know everybody's business.
Speaker 7: It is a small time. You got to think it's a smaller two thousand. I don't fault two thousand people who that house she went to live straight ahead and coming down you know the street, the house or straight ahead cross, that's where she lived right there. Yeah, so I got, hell, bitch, come out of you mother telling this boy body, you ain't got no right to do that. So anyway, I kind of settled down, and then they told me the whole story.
Speaker 1: You know, how did you feel when you were when when they were asking you that, were you like and disbelief or were you no?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: You know, you know it answered some questions because I always wondered why my parents were older than everyone else, just just curiosity. Like then they adopted me. I think Mom gonna said they were like sixty, like fifty eight or sixty when they adopted me.
Speaker 1: So then by this time they were like their seventy yeah.
Speaker 7: The seventies. Wow. Then when the seconds my dad died. I think he was seventy two when he died. So you know, it was just kind of everybody's parents generally, except my parent. You know. You know, I just I didn't cause I ain't nobody sex and all that kind of stuff, having having babies, so that she was Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know because they talk about you know, I was still talking about to tell about the Stark, the delivered kids, the little kid. They were still telling us to that line. The start came out or the start came out last night, beautiful baby. So but it didn't it it didn't. It didn't change me. I mean it really it didn't. It didn't change much.
Speaker 1: I mean didn't change your relationship with your your real mom.
Speaker 7: Or your sister and like how did that you know, remember it's been so long, but it gave by men. Helen just came my sister and brother. I mean, we were you always did.
Speaker 1: You always feel like she was Did you ever feel like she was like your mother at any point? Because I feel like growing up, like I always felt like you guys were daughter like son and son and mother. But maybe that's just because I knew that that's what it was.
Speaker 7: And so yeah, I mean it was you know, I can say for me it was like luckily, it was like I had two moms. It really was. It was like Helen was my mother and Ball was my mom. I mean, both of them had that moment.
Speaker 1: You reserved like more respect for.
Speaker 7: One, like Mama Boola because because she raised me. I mean she was she was, but I know she said that, yeah, that motherly thing. Yeah, because the one thing she was older. So I was always kind of like worried about her because she's old. And I remember my dad died, you know, I remember my dad died. You know. She was by herself. It was just us, even though my mother and her stepfather, my husband was my stepfather right next door, which was probably thirty yards. I saw them every day like my brothers and sisters, and I told they told they were my cousins, you know, so that they really were my brothers and sisters at yeah, but at least it wasn't born yet. But Robert and Leo, so.
Speaker 6: After you found out they still So these were your cousins.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, so you're real Mom.
Speaker 6: Helen she had she had kids after you.
Speaker 1: You still were not, but you were still relatively young too. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Like yeah, when Sheen she had when she had known it, she had my brother Lee Leo. She was young because she had me, she was fifteen, and she got my brother Robert next, and then she was older. I think I think I'm fifty eight and uh I think known he's I think he's fifty fifty fifty one, Okay, So it was like and and him and Leo they're only like thirteen months apart.
Speaker 6: And they didn't know either.
Speaker 7: Uh No, they didn't know. They were too young. They didn't they didn't they didn't know, but you know, it was it was, it was I can say it's you know, it's been so hard to remember back then, but it didn't change anything.
Speaker 1: You were angry.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't angry at all. I wouldn't want them kind of kids to be angry because, first of all, Baller wasn't having that angry shit. You can get that noth sense. I ain't angry about what your ass whipped me. Let me angry, but I won't forget. One time, man, I was I was thirteen years old. I think I was about fifteen, and I rolled my eyes. She said something. I rolled my eyes. Man. She was to door and got that shotgun, said boy, I'll kill your black ass. You blow shoote. Don't you ever roll your eye. I'll never forget that. And I said, Mama, please don't shoot me. And then later on I said, Mama, you got that gun and shoot me? Said no, one loaded. But I didn't know that. Hell no, I never talked back, even when I got older. I mean I one time she was yelling at me. I'll be so mad. I was in the pros, playing pro football, but I didn't say nothing back. One time I came home, I was supposed to take her to the mall or something. I didn't do it. She yelled and cursing me, and I got my rental car. I went back to the airport and I just went back to California and leave. I say nothing, Do you think like?
Speaker 6: Because I don't know if you know this has a like not a similar.
Speaker 7: Story with our situation is very similar. I know too, And we talked to him that you guys. Yeah, yeah, his he found his dad lived right across the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he was having an affair with Yeah, the.
Speaker 7: Mom was having some of them. The dad was having a fair with the mother. Right was right across, right up the street.
Speaker 1: It was right right years he thought who he thought like, he.
Speaker 7: Didn't even know that was that his dad.
Speaker 1: He just thought he didn't have a dad. I forgot guy, Yes, I think that he was his real dad.
Speaker 6: Is married a woman across the street, his wife and their kids, and he just didn't know he he just.
Speaker 2: Thought he didn't have a dad until he somehow later in life he found out that that that man was his father and.
Speaker 1: All his neighbors were his siblings.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, do you I don't know where he's Do you think this is something that has happens often, like the black community, You think it's down south?
Speaker 6: Do you think it's just some shit that happened.
Speaker 7: It happened it, It can happen black, white, It could happen anywhere. But I mean, I think you know, we black people have a tendency to keep it quiet in the family, and that's how it was back in those days, in the sixties and seventies. You kept it quiet. I mean, uh, you didn't talk about you didn't tell. I mean it basically like like Mama, my mother didn't I mean, Biola, you know, told her telling that I was a mother. That was my mother. I mean, I'm that was my sister. I mean that lie went on till I found out, right, I mean, would have just kept going. I think it would. I think eventually that told me, Uh well, I think I think for a while, I probably started I started asking questions, cause I did have some questions I wanted to ask, but you never asked them. I have that man. No, you don't ask them kind of questions back in them days, not to like these kids now, they'll pop up to their mom like, Mama can't stand you. You know, if you mom, you know, oh my god, I'd have been dead so long ago. I mean really, cause mother, she cleared to kill me if I told her of y'all can't stand you by f you that that don't happen. I mean, but you know, it's just that that's how life is. That's how life was for back in in the South, in the small town do you think that.
Speaker 6: That experience affected like your parenting it anyway.
Speaker 7: You as a father, I think maybe, you know, I'll say for me, you know, when I think of my daughter Erica here, you know what I mean. I me and my mom, you know, got together, and you know, my mom got pregnant. I wasn't ready to have a child. I mean, I was still immature. I was twenty six, I think twenty six years old, twenty five. Wanted to be a twenty six I was. I was immature. I mean I really was. I mean, you know, and I was always a big believer that men mature for women, just because you know, we but mature before women. I used to believe that. I thank you. I laughed too that it's funny. It's a big joke. It's it's a lot. But you know, as a man, you don't want to hear woman mature before you. I mean, come on, we're men, we mature first. But trust me, it did. It doesn't work with that happened like that, you know, I told her, I tell Erica, I say, and I made a lot of mistakes. I made a lot of mistakes, you know, with my mother and my mom two both of us both were young. But I made a lot of mistakes, a lot of mistakes that I can't correct and make right because you know, Erica's older. You know, things that wasn't always smooth. You know when she was coming up. You know, I didn't see it for a long time. And I tell people, you know that got kids, Guys, You're like, man, that baby, I said, Man, it's not that child's fault. I say, I'm gonna tell you. I say, don't regret, don't have regrets. I say, like me, I have regrets because they see how close we are now. But I still tell them I have regrets. I mean, I have things that I wish that I could do over. And I think a lot a lot of you dads, man, don't be mad. I mean, look, sometimes in some cases the women ain't worth the damn, but it's not the child's fault. It's not that child's fault, and vice versa. Sometimes the man ain't worth a damn right, and the woman be like, you know that, that's sorry, but that's still that child's dad, And some day they might want to have a relationship with the day even though he ain worth She says, no, it's not you know, and you know, as bad as me and her mom got along back then, you know, I tried never to say, look your mommy with a damn your mon I mean I didn't want. I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 1: I never heard. I don't have any memories.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't want to do that because because I kept it to myself, I didn't. I didn't want. I was I always yeah, did, but but but I always wanted to know it. That's a mother, you know, that's that's something more. That's why when when you tell your mama gonna be your bitch, you thought it was funny. But I did think it was funny. But still no matter if me and her, me and my mom wasn't getting along there, but still one thing was I'm never going to have the child respect them, disrespect their mother because I saw the sacrifice some mom made for her, you know, even dealing with my crazy ass back in the day. Because I won't forget it. Our Christmas party, this was about I don't know, long time ago I told you. I don't know if you might never told you what I told her?
Speaker 1: Is this when I when is this? When they came they came to the d This was the first time. It was New Year's.
Speaker 7: It was New Year's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that day. I'll never forget it because it was the first time my parents ever celebrated any holiday together. I was like literally going in the bathroom crying by myself, like tears of joy. I was like you, like it was right. It was like a year for Iri.
Speaker 7: Damn, yeah, it was. It was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: It was like six years ago.
Speaker 7: It wasn't It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: Six years ago.
Speaker 7: It wasn't that long ago. I mean. And I told her Mom, I said, I said, I want to talk. I told her, I want to talk to you about something. And uh, I said. Then I said, I want to say this. I said, you know when you always agreed on things, and uh she said. I said, but I just want to say you say to you that I just want to thank you for being a good mom to child. I said, because I know, I said, I wasn't easy to deal with. I said, I said, you did a great job with Erica. I said, no, I wasn't now all the time. And she said, Erica, I just can't believe you saying And I couldn't believe I was saying because I mean I told her one day, she said, one day we might be friends. When we was younger, I said I would never be your friend. I told her that I would never be friends. But just to go, you show you how all of us grow and change. I mean it is I mean because I mean, I mean I talked to mom like I talked to an about it.
Speaker 1: Honestly. I mean I never thought i'd say the day because like growing up, there was always such a big divide and there was always like I was in the middle playing telephone like tell your mom, tell you God, damn so good, and it just just never never I just kind of I never had hope in it. I just kind of just like my parents, this is what it is. And now to see the relationship you have with my mom is so surreal. Sometimes like my mom was like, yeah, I talk to your dad. I'm like what me, No, not you actually.
Speaker 7: Just that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: But I love I mean, I love that, and I think, yeah, I think that's you know, and I think seeing that also, I think, well, because of your my mom and yours relationship. Growing up, I didn't want to have kids, and I was like, I don't think I even want kids, like, because you just never know how things are gonna end up. You know, if you're gonna end up with the person, you don't know what the relationship is going to be, and it just seems real hard. So but then when I you know, now that I have one, of course, I don't regret it, but I'm not I'm not with her father. But seeing the progress, I'm so glad I got to see all the bad shit turn into something good because now that I I am raising Iri as a single mom, it's so important. I know that we can cut through all that. We'll have to do all that. Let's just not do that, like I kind of let it wait twenty five Yeah, let's do that, Like, yeah, we gotta go through some stuff to get to the here, Like and I realize that because me and him have only been separated for a year and a half, and obviously this took like twenty five years in the beginning, But like, I know that it's possible it happen. Yeah, you know, I know if my parents can come together, like and they had a lot of squater under the bridge a lot, Like I know that I can too.
Speaker 7: Let me tell you, you're right, that's true. Because you know, I can honestly say, and this is I saw almost embarrassed. That's it the things you embarrassed a by. When you say that you thought, I mean I had. I had, as you tell it, I had an unnatural hatred for her mother, unnatural hatred. And I said to me, I'm so glad. I don't feel like that at all. And I never thought that I'd go away. To me, it's like it's funny, and I'm like, how could I feel like the way about it? That's that's that's your daughter's mom. I mean, I can think of my good friend who's passed on bird named lewis Combe Bird. He would say, Eric, he said, Man, that's the child's mother. Man, you can't be here. I said, Man, I say that ain't gonna change. He said one day, Well I never thought it would. But like I say, man, all that that went on between us, no matter what.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was that? Like was it you having other cards? That kind of Eric?
Speaker 7: I just think it was just maturity. You just like I say, being immature, And I say this selfishness. Men were selfish? You know, man, we don't you don't want it like me? And I'm a. I'm a realist. I just I tell it like it is. You might not like it, but it's the truth. Even by myself. I was immature and I had a just uh I you know, and I I get I sometimes I'm a I got that burgo when I get that, when I get a hard on for you, it's on it, it's it's it's it's not going in right. And I just had to let that go because you know, I saw it how it would divide us too. You know, it would divide me and you, and I didn't want I didn't want that. I didn't want to have the relationship. When I think about I look at Richard, my real dad. I don't have no badges. I don't I don't have nothing against Richard. I don't really know Richard. I know it, but I don't really know it. Like if I say, I'm like, it was that Richard, you know, but I don't bother. It's no, it's it's Richard is like that guy walking down the street over there. I mean that's I mean, that's I mean, that's how I feel about it, and nothing nothing, And I don't have no hatred for him, nothing like that. But you know, I make sure I don't make sure that we didn't I had I didn't have that with my daughter. I wanted to make sure that you know, she knew me, you know, and and knew all about me how much I love her, even though for my shortcomings I mean with her mother and and it was a lot. I mean, I can say it was a lot on me and her too, but it's a lot of me because you know, it was just just being yon and dumb, like you.
Speaker 6: Took away like your young single baby less freedom.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, I guess in a sense, but no, I I gotta say I feel bad because a lot of time I didn't see Ercka for a long time, and like three years at one point when she was born. I mean, and think about that, when you a child child used to see the dad boy or girl you need to see. You need to have a r a bond with your child. And that's something I can't redo, you know, And I regret that. But like I said, I was twenty six years old, you know, playing sports, traveling, you know, girls and they tell you how great you're on that little kind of crap. But you know, I can say this much, and you know, what really really Kemp would kept beating into my head my.
Speaker 1: Mom about old oh I remember, cause I man.
Speaker 7: She would not let it go. She said, Eric, I wanna see that child. I wanna see her. I mean, both of 'em helen to, they wanted to see you.
Speaker 1: The w that was.
Speaker 7: I'm like, nah, I mean they want, they want, they would not. That's a baby, Eric, you know. And and then after awhile I could hear my mother, you know, just saying there, that's a child. You can't you can't. Maybe she don't, she don't deserve that. You know, she didn't do nothing so for me, you know, just over time, you know, the barriers started letting down, and I talked to her mother and we talked, we laughed about certain things and you know, wouldn't argue anymore about money. And you know, it's my weekend. You didn't come pick up today and you know, and so so you know, it's just it's just you just change. I mean you really do. You you change. That's why I say people can change, they really can, but you gotta want to change. I mean I could, I could chew, I could have chosen to still be angry. You just lost all the years, all the years of mine, well my daughter, my grandma, grandchild here Iri, I mean that would that would have been horrible.
Speaker 1: So do you think that because do you think that because your fault, because your faught because Richard wasn't around even after you discovered this, that this happened. Did you ever feel like an abandonment from your dad? Because I know you had a father.
Speaker 7: But like not really now I know, you know, not at all. But my dad was Kirie Dickerson. That I mean, that was my dad.
Speaker 1: I mean because I mean I made my dad reach out to.
Speaker 6: So prior to that, you never had reached out to him before.
Speaker 7: I talked to him. I talked to him, I seen him, but I was.
Speaker 1: Kind of like, you know, you want to see the meeting because like in you know, in middle school, we started doing this genealogy things in the family tree. It's always so funny for black people because it always ends like quick black before slavery. My great grandparents like but no, but where are you from? Like I don't know, I hate that, but they would ask me about like you know, the simple it's it's very it's very quick step into the family tree with me, Like grandfather it's like, well, I never knew Carrie.
Speaker 6: Oh he passed it.
Speaker 1: He was seventeen, and so I was like, and I knew that my biological grandfather was still live, and I was like, so one time, I think I asked my dad if I could talk to him on the phone and ask him some questions, and so I think I was in like probably it was around twelve, and so I called him, we asked questions, and that was the last time I talked to him. And then so this day no, So then my dad reconnected with his met his sister. Yeah, so Richard when I had other children, so he had a sister and she reached out to my dad and they started forming in a relationship. And then I met her and she was like, you know, my dad knows about like about you, obviously, do you want to meet him? And I was like yeah, So I went to Texas and I met him. And it's crazy because my dad looks a lot like him. Really, he's like he's lighter than him. But then I see I see myself too, and it's so weird to meet someone that you've never met, like obviously as you're related to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but when I look at you out there. I see I see Helen, Helen, Man, I see I see my mother. She looked just like you, even your sister, Eric, I mean Carrie, just like my mother Helen. But yeah, I mean I didn't. I mean, man, I just I didn't. I didn't feel that for Richard. I mean when I lost my dad. When my dad died, it devastated me. Really, I mean I was devastated. I mean he I was seventy senior years old. I remember the day to this. I st remember the day he died November third, nineteen seventy seven. I was an ad class like, I will never forget what it was. I used to see that whole scene all over again. That's how devastated I was. I was mad at God because I said, why am I because my man, my dad, and people say this, my dad was a good man, I mean a good Christian man. And you know, you see when you you know, you see how people act, you see their actions. How my dad was always soft spoken. He talks soft but their deep voice. But you know, if he said Eric, I'm like, oh oh oh, I must be in trouble. And so you know he was such a such a good man. I had a buddy of mine, he said, he said, Eric, he said, my grandmother, he said, my grandmother. He said, I never met your dad. He said, my grandmother didn't like nobody. He said, nobody, she said, but she talked about your dad. She said that mister Dick's Cary Dixon. And she I was a good man. She said, he that was a good man. And so when that see, that made me see that it's true. I know it's true because because because my dad was just he was just that guy. It was always about the Bible and God that that always came first to him. And you know, but I didn't have him long, you know, I didn't have him long at all. And still and a lot of things that he taught me, like just like you know, forgiveness, you know, forgiveness, you gotta forgive something. You can't hold these things, and you know, and like I said, he died when I was young. There's so much he taught me that little bit of time that I still remember. And I think that's why, you know, after a while, so many years, you know, me and how Mom was able to put you know, my part just kind of let just let it go. I mean, just just just let it go, and this man, it's great now. I mean, I mean when I talked to.
Speaker 1: My laugh talk, I mean it's probably away. I mean I always say like this too, like I can hold on to some ship too, like I'm good at that, And but when you let it go, it just.
Speaker 7: Felt so much better, so much better.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, we spend so much energy being mad. It takes more energy.
Speaker 7: It takes more energy to be mad because people say, man, I said, oh no, cool, really people, I'm cool with be in now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: H How do you think from your perspective as his daughter, how do you think that affected you?
Speaker 1: Growing up?
Speaker 6: Like they're they're they're not getting along, or him being an athlete.
Speaker 2: Like now that you're thirty one and you have your own child and now you're a single mom, how how do you think that that affected you.
Speaker 1: I think it greatly affected me. Like I mean, like you said, like, I think daughters need their fathers, and I think because of that, that's why I was like, I don't want to have kids, because I was like I I it was really rough growing up, and you know their relationship was I just figured it.
Speaker 7: Was never gonna it was never gonna be it was boltily sometimes.
Speaker 1: You know, I think also because you know I I I D I didn't have him around all the time. I didn't know how to deal with men either or boys, or like how to like talk about things too. I I I developed didn't have it early on about like, uh, like not letting my emotions go. So what anytime I would talk about my my mom would be like, do you wanna talk about like your dad? And I'd be like hate yo, Like I don't wanna talk about and that just like exploded. You're like, Okay, let's let's try that again next time. I just I think I like learned to like just hold a lot of things in and like I think as our relationship has grown, and I remember, like one day you called me and you were like, I wanna, I need to talk to you, and like we sat down. I'll never forget. It was in the commons at that fish king place, and you told me that mama had covin and you had a dream about about our relationship.
Speaker 7: And she told you like you needed to talk to talk to you and.
Speaker 1: You did, and I cried, and a lot we both cried. And I think that was like the beginning of us really like letting like starting to let everything go and and work on and work on our relationship. Yeah, do I think our relationship is perfect? No? Do I think like the the what's happened in the past, do I L do I D I look at you like my dad. I don't have any other dad, even like my like my my mom's be married. And I never like looked at As a matter of fact, I would tell him all the time, which is probably why me and him have a difficult relationship, because I was a very adamant about you're not my dad, you know, and like that's hard for like someone coming in to a a relationship with a single mom. So I'm I'm always I'm actually curious about, like ior, like how she would deal with that, how like because I know I was not having it like when you start to date someone a news seriously Yeah mm, but you know I did. I always respected my dad, and I w I did fear him most of my life. I did cause he would cause you would come in and out and then like you'd you'd have like my mom has had a different way of disciplining.
Speaker 7: Me my rules and then you had your rules, and your rules.
Speaker 1: Were very much like you know, strict and like I go get the switch and i'm'a i'm'a beat trapped and do that again. I my mom have never talked to me like you' and I'm like, oh my god, like I'm never like i'd be tiptoeing through his house. I remember you like no shoes in the house, and I was running in the house like I not want to get in trouble with my dad. And my mom threatened to call my dad to be like, fuck, this is gonna be this is the time he's gonna be spank me. Cause I don't never think you ever really spent mere.
Speaker 7: I think after a one time, I think it's maybe you one time. I won't forget it one time and I made you stand in the corner at the house and I still have a picture of it, and she's looking over his shoulder like this, and my mom said, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Right, well, it's always the grandma's that come in and suddenly they're nice. They're not disciplinaries anymore. They don't bring a shotgun, dowt no. But I think I think it's definitely it definitely affected me for sure. You know, I don't know how it couldn't, you know. I think that's why I think it's so important for Irie to have her father in her life. And I think I go with sometimes above and beyond, but a normal person, I tolerate more than someone else might because like it's so important there were relationship to me comes first before anything that me and him are going through. And it's like, you know, our relationship is not perfect at all. We're cool. He came over today. We were cool, you know. But at the end of the day, what I just want her to to not ever say like my you know, like my dad didn't show up, he didn't come, He didn't he wasn't here, he wasn't there, like, and I never want him to feel like I didn't give him the opportunity, right. You can never say it was You can never say that I didn't say you could come, you know. And you know, I think also I think Dad, like I don't know if you. I think that you having other kids has made you more like kids that live in your house, but you're like raising daily, you know, it gives you like a different perspective. Like I've seen you change. I have I've even seen your changes. I'll never forget that this was one time you took me to like Disneyland or something. I was really young, and I'm my best behavior and there was a little kid in line and he was acting a fool, like acting crazy. And my dad, this is before he had other kids and taking mind, you know, like I was like, I didn't see him a lot. So we were like having your trip together, and it's like and irote my best behavior and the kid was having a fit. My dad was like, if Dad, what the was my kid? I would take and I would who the ship up? This is? And the kid because the kid was going on he was having a blow on tangent in the line of a roller coaster. So we were having to colerated thirty minutes. So my dad was losing his temper. And I was like, oh my god, this is why I'm going to be so good this trip because none of that. But now, like having two kids living in like I see and I see Dallas and I see Carrie have their moments, and I see the patience that you didn't have in that line. Because it's different.
Speaker 7: It's different your kid, but it's different when you get older too. I gotta say it's older, because I mean your sister, Eric, I mean Carrie, that.
Speaker 1: Was that was karma. Next girl is going to be.
Speaker 7: So bad. I mean I whooped up. I whooped the ass too. I tell her, I just told her a couple of weeks ago. You know, she wanted to talk back to her mom. I said, him explaining something to you. I said, you thirteen, I said, I beat your ass. I said, let you know, I still whoop your ass. You do understand that, don't you? Your dad I said, know that. I mean I don't mess around. I mean, I'm the disciplinarians. That's how i was taught. I feel like my big thing is I gotta say it makes you feel good as a parent when people talk command your child about how good that. I won't forget. We had a you're probably twenty years old, Erica and you at the house one day and it was some guys, some of my friends there with their wives, and they weren't even to get like systematically. One guy said, man Verry, Erica's such a sweet child, and she's such a nice girl. It's such a lady. I mean, you know how much good that made me feel. That's what that's one of the reasons. I want to tell her mom, great job she did, yeah, because I mean I didn't do all that right. And but but she says, say man, and it another got may may Eric. It was such a nice girl. Man, she's such a sweet person. And that made me feel good. And I told Carrie, I said care, I said, I want people to say, you know, you're a good child, not that bad ass child over that doing stuff. And one day when the grocery store on the guy came up and he said, Eric, man's wanna say, man, Yes, ye, daughter is such a nice girl, such a sweet child. It made me think of you. I say, and and not that that is cu that that that's that's an enjoyment for me to hear that. I mean, most definitely I can still be tough. But you know mostly I'm talking now, I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't like I still I tell him I'm gonna be ass now. But you know that voice, I think the voice scares are more than anything. But I can say this much as it's nothing like having kids. I I'm I I still have I still have regrets. And I mean I just said to Erica, I have regrets. So you know what happened with me and your mom and the time I didn't get chance to spend with you. But I'm you know, you can't never make up the time. But I'm glad I have the time, and I'm glad. I'm glad to where I'm at with you now, you know it, And I have a I have a granddaughter. You know, it's just it, it's it's a good thing. I'm gonna say that and just watch girl. God. I I tell I tell M M young men this all the time. Man, take time with your kids, man, because you one day you're gonna look up. I remember when you were little. I still have the picture when I took you over to uh David Househof's house, you riding up riding that riding a horse on a merry go round. I still got that picture in my house. I mean, I I remember. You know, there's times, you you know those times go fast.
Speaker 1: But do you think your kids teach you lessons most.
Speaker 7: Deep than they do? I mean they do. They try to teach you pay especially when the when a kid tells you like you hurt their feelings or something you know, and you too rough on them, you know, even because curious hitting me. Yeah, you kind of rough on Dallas. You know, kay, I feel bad for him, like like like physically or like yes, because when she when he he told her, he told, carry told, I mean, Dallas told. Okay, okay, my my daughter's name is my other daughter name is Carrie. And and your brother's his name is Dallas, my son, and he's six, and she's she's at this time, she was twelve when it happened. And so I was I was wrong, I was, I was, I was mad at him, but I forgot what it was. And she came to me. Carrie said, Dad, she said, you kind of rough on Dallas. I said, I said, why would you see what he said? Say he came, She said, he came and he looks so sad. He said, See he don't like me, he said, so he don't he he loved you. He don't my dad, he don't. He don't even like me. That made me feel bad. That makes you mad, made me feel real bad. So you know, I'm not I'm not. I'm not as tough. I'm not as tough for her, cause he's tough. I mean, he's tough too. But you know, of course you sobbing up and you get keeps specting me. I'm telling you everything is with age, and I never believe that you know. But let me just tell you when you get older and you start seeing your life go before, I just start seeing you get old looking like me, looking like your grandmother. Cause you know, like I'm I tell I tell Carrie this, I tell even tell Dallas this. I said, I want y'all, I tell when I'm trying to explain to you, I said, it's one day your dad and not gonna be here. I tell her, said, I tell it it's going to school. When before she had me, before Dallas was born, I said, one day, carry, I'm gonna die, I said. And I want you to remember these times, and the same thing with you, Eric, I want you to remember the times because I'm gonna die. One day I won't be here, and you remember the times that we laughed and talked and did this interview. You know, you listen to it thirty years from now. But it's true. But my dad, you say the same thing to me, he says, say, son, he said, one day I won't be here, Son, I'm gonna be gone, he said, And I'm telling you that because I tell any parent, you know, one day we're gonna die and O kids gonna miss us and we're gonna miss you too, because I'm matter of fact. My dad has been dead, but I think forty two years now and I've still cried about him dying. Think about it, start crying, and that's that just shows you know how much I love my dad and you know I miss him. I mean, and like I tell, I tell my kids and I'll tell you. I said, I'm not ready to die. I don't get me read, but but I'm not afraid to die. But I can't wait to see my mom and dad again. I I can't wait for that day for me to see Mama and daddy and Helen all you know, all my all my folks is gone, and it'll be the same day when you know, when when when you get older. In Irib, you said, it's it's a it's a cycle in it, and that's a That's the great thing about life is if you do it right, and it's never gonna be perfect. Know this, I mean you and Freddy men Penny. I mean, none of these relationships are perfect. I'm I mean, it's just I mean, people listening here. Nothing's perfect out there. You can look at you next door neighbor say, man, they got the perfect, perfect kids, perfect, But you don't know what's going in that household, right, nothing's perfect. The relationships ain't never perfect. Relationships are hard, they are. I mean, it's hard raising kids. It's it's a it's a it's a job. It's something you have to be dedicated to. And but mothers, I mean, man, if you got a good mama, ain't nothing like it. I mean, I see you as a mom. You know how you deal with Iri. I see Penny how she deals with with with with carrying dolls. And these good mamas. Man, it's it's it's it's the best thing because moms and they just so rare. Are good mother, a good parent there, they're rare. They're rare and in the life, and so you know, you know, it's that's it.
Speaker 1: Do you think you'll be married ever? Have you ever been married? Beginning of my like relationship ever?
Speaker 6: Like n dies your kids and mom press you about it.
Speaker 7: My my daughter, my daughter used to press me about it. She don't press me, and my daughter said, used to press me. He still present me when you're gonna marry my mom. I'm already married to your mom.
Speaker 1: Also, my dad has always just been very real and open, as you can tell from this. So we talk so far, but I'll never forget, like when my d when I I think I told the story to you on the podcast, when I my dad asked me if I lost my virginity, and I remember we were a cheesecake factory. We're sitting there and he was like, so are you having sex? And I was like, and he was like, let me just say this real quick. You'll never have sex with as many people as I, so you might as well just tell me, oh, okay, yep. And I was just like I didn't even know what to say. I was like, I had so many visuals happening. Is that many things? I was like, I don't want to imagine. And also I'm like asking me a very personal question, I'm all. I also was like, you know, I lost my virginity a bit young too, and it was just like very honest, yeah no, when he asked you fourteen oh shit. And I one thing about even though me and my dad, I mused always like like throughout my childhood, you know, struggled to have a very close relationship, and it wasn' until we got much older that we really really worked on it. I always felt comfortable telling him things, I think because we had I don't know, Like there are things I tell my dad and I won't tell my mom.
Speaker 7: I know you your mom must say that. She said she'll tell you, she won't tell me.
Speaker 1: I think my dad is doesn't he doesn't judge, he doesn't. Also, he doesn't have like I think. Also moms we're just so worried all the time too, And like I think dad's how just can't be a little cooler even if they're kind of like freaking outside. I just always feel comfortable. There's even to this day, there's day things I'm like, please don't tell mom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, use that.
Speaker 1: I think I said that the other day.
Speaker 7: Don't don't tell you mom. I'm gonna tell your mom. Yeah. I mean I gotta say you right there, because it was things you would tell me, things we talk about, and I said, I would just tell you to be honest.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: Maybe just first of all, I know what time it is. I won't forget when y'all had to party at the house and when the girl got on the pool table, and dance and and Houston High School.
Speaker 1: So I asked, you my dad, let me have my dad let me have the graduation party at his house.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I said, I wasn't going for that. I said the aster the questions. I said, what you like to drink? What you drink? I don't drink. I said a lie to me. I know you got I know you gottadrink you like. I said, what you like to drink? I said, you don't drink. You don't stay at the house. You ain't going nowhere, he said, like the apple Martina, I'm an amateur.
Speaker 1: Drink like lovey, kind of classy for a seventeen year old that I still remember.
Speaker 7: I said, okay, were but you ain't going no where. They're gonna stay right here.
Speaker 1: You got all the album pockets you want, so so yeah, Oh my god, that the whole valley came to the house. Okay, every teenager know how I missed this party? Right below. We're letting those right below it.
Speaker 7: You missed the party right now. Alcohol we confiscated from them.
Speaker 1: O my god. Outside he didn't learn his lesson because I had allowen Halloween party and everyone dressed up and hit alcohol in their like Halloween.
Speaker 7: That was funny.
Speaker 1: The girls guy who was a U p S didn't make it.
Speaker 7: Make it.
Speaker 1: The security you really had security security security making everyone take their shoes. Literally, there was a pile.
Speaker 7: It was a pile of shoes piled up our side.
Speaker 1: Someone told you at your dad's house. I'm like, I don't tell you. That's crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I gotta say. You know, I'm gonna say this year, I'm so proud of you. I really am. I'm proud of you. I love you. You know you I you a good child. I mean, you a good child. I mean I know I don't tell you no, but I do love you. You you mad. You made me proud. You make me don't cry.
Speaker 1: I love cry too.
Speaker 7: So you make me proud of your dad. I mean, really you have you know, I know how hard you work for your mother's company, and you do a good job. You don't complain, you know. I always tell people about my daughter. I say one thing about Erica is she's a lot like me in a lot of ways. She don't want nothing. She don't want something for nothing. You know, my daughter, she works and then it makes me, it just makes me feel good that You're not one of them kids. That's like these millennials think that they're entitled that and I can't stand these entitlements. And and you are a good You're a child, You're a good woman. You you you're a good young woman. And you know, I'm I'm proud of you, my child. I'm thinking, I thank God God gave you to me in spite of my it's spite of my shortcomings.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you get what you need.
Speaker 7: What you want.
Speaker 1: But I think I am the way I am because because of you, because of you, because of my mom. Seeing both of you work really hard and excel in whatever it is that you put your mind too. Like I feel like I have immense shoes to fill all the time. I'm just like I can't I can't stop. I gotta keep going. They didn't stop, Who would I be to just sit around and just what? Do what you know? And so I've always seen you know your work ethic, like you've continue, You've been able to maintain an amazing career after football, which is so rare. And like you know, you look at so many of these players, especially in your time, you aren't getting like these contracts that these guys are getting, you know, like I know, people come up to you in the street and I'm so proud of never I see the number twenty nine walking on side on street corners on honky and shit. But but they assume that you had the luxuries that a lot of these new players are afforded, and you've been able to maintain and like you know, sustain, you know, and that's that's a lot of even these guys now that are making five hundred million dollars or however much twenty million dollar contracts, thirty million doll I mean your biggest contract was like a million dollars million five a million five.
Speaker 2: Am.
Speaker 1: People would laugh at that. Now they've spawn it.
Speaker 2: And I mean just mentioned all the abuse you put up as you told us as the house one of your games.
Speaker 1: And was it Indianapolis or oh that they had to sign up with the baby the monkey, Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Like a baby chicken and five chicken. It's a water melon.
Speaker 7: Don't I tell you the story when I thought I was an Indian when of my come on my last year's I want to get the hell out of down. You know that place is so racist back then, you know, it's racism everywhere you know it. It's part of life. It's just it's not gonna change. But they had a sign like they you don't have your the banners that hang say you know, we love the cold, so we love blah blah blah. They had a big sign, a big, big sheet hanging down. It had a picture of a black baby be sitting like in a like a sitting position with a stack of money on one side, uh fried I mean uh watermelons on the other side with fried chicken in his hand with my number and stuff on it. I'm like wow, I'm like okay. And then some of the guys last on the Bruther's laugh. I said, on your own team, Yeah, I said, oh, y'all think that's funny, I say they talking about I said, y'all niggas they just take to change the number, right, said oh, yeah, that ain't funny. I said, oh, now you're thinking it ain't funny, right. And it stayed up there for a while. They I guess they ventually took it down. But you know, I never forgot that. I mean, and I can honestly say for me, I have had some resentment to that organization for that reason. I mean, I played for the Colts because they let it hap And I've never forgotten that. I mean, people ask me, but you play for the God, I said. Man, don't get me wrong, I play for that team. But I just never forgot that. I've never forgotten that. And it just that bothered me, that cause I know how wrong. I would never do that. I w I would never ever do that. But you know, people are different, people are crazy.
Speaker 1: But that I mean, I mean it's between that. Also, growing up in the South, and you know you weren't to segregate, did you were.
Speaker 7: Segregated schools?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, but but what I've seen is that you have so many white friends that you are your brothers. You know what I mean. You don't like covert.
Speaker 7: Man. Let me tell somebody. Get some of my best friends are my best friend or two of my best boys a white guy. I don't look at them as white. I look at my friend, my brother Randy Mondelo and Chris Laidio, then white to me, they just like me, right, Jason, I mean, they just they they people. I don't I don't. I don't judge the person on this colored skin. You know, I always look at the people who do may do crimes, and you know, think about them niggas in them nexting them wet bags and the chinks. And I said, you know that. The sad thing about that, I said, I could be that could have been your best friend one day, I said, you go murder that woman over there. That woman could have been the best thing ever happened to you. But you killed her, right, I said, when you when you dine and go to hell on the hell they say, you know, I'm gonna show you something when the lady you killed, that was that was gonna be your wife, That was that was gonna change your whole life. I got out that you call an old white cracker does be your best friend. He's gonna make you a whole bunch of money, But you you made him off. Of course, you're a cousse of the ignorance. So I just believe that I just judge the person mind who they are. You know, all of us have our prejudice, all of us said prejudice things and racist thing. That don't mean you're a racist, a racist mind who hate a whole racist people, But you know it is what it is, This life is.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the NFL is still a pretty racist, has a big racist culture, or it has it changed. I mean, I'm sure it's changed in some ways because the times have changed. But at the end of the day, I mean there's like all the you know, it's a pretty like white dominated field. Like all the owners are white, you know, pretty much everyone in a lot of the office. I don't know, maybe the offices are commercifying boys.
Speaker 7: It's white. Look, first of all, it's no black owners. That is still a good old white boy system.
Speaker 6: Been people that have tried to be yes, and they kind of keep you they keep those people out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they don't want no black owners. I think they have an Indian owner now. But yeah, I mean, look, the NFL, no.
Speaker 1: Like Kaepernick isn't going to be the one. How do you feel about the whole Kaepernick thing.
Speaker 7: I feel like I feel like it got lost. It wasn't about the flag. It was about the injustice of police brutality. And it's not even about being black or they kill white people that they kill black people. They kill most of you know, people who don't have the money my no, can't fight back after they kill them. But I just feel like that the message got lost. I mean, it really did. And who, well, they made it. They made it about the flag, and it really wasn't about that flag. I mean, and I and I kept saying this. I said, we care more about a flag and we care about God. That's a flag, that's a piece of material. But don't get me wrong, people have died on that flag. Men, men, women in our country have died because they believe in our freedom and the flag. But you know, it's a flag, and it's in the big scheme of things. It's the it's the respect fact that you have. I mean, just like in the school system now, they don't want you to say the flat pleasure legions. They don't want you to say God. They're talking to schools don't want you to talk about the flag. It's just we're so hypocritical.
Speaker 1: Do you think I thought they wanted to just still do the ladis the school a football game?
Speaker 7: They don't do the schools A lot of schools don't do it, not every school. When I was a kid, I knew that was every every day when you got.
Speaker 1: Morning, and you didn't even think about it. Twice my dad used to tell me, not thinking about legs to the flag.
Speaker 7: But you got to think about it. Think about it if I from a different country, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, even as Black Americans, I don't pledge. Do you think that the what? What is?
Speaker 7: How do we? How do you?
Speaker 1: How does it start to change? Is that the players have to take us down because literally most of the players, there's a lot of black players mostly fact.
Speaker 7: Let me, let me, let me tell you how it would change. Let me let me tell you what what what would disrupt everything and have to be done just to me, just like this. Let's say you got a Sunday game, Sunday Sunday game, and you've got the thirty two teams, and let's just say not all, because you can't get everybody. But let's just say on fifteen football team, you gonna take fifteen team. Let's say you had fourteen guys on each team, eighteen guys each team. Say for the pleasure leading boom, we're not playing. We're not gonna play.
Speaker 6: Oh you can't kneel or whatever.
Speaker 7: We know, we're not gonna put we going back. We're not playing period, We're going back to the locker room. Oh hell no. Because now the networks like what to me? They ain and you don't you don't know when it's gonna happen. It's just gonna keep happening. It might skip a week, it's gonna keep happening all of a sudden. They can't. They can't take that because it's gonna defect this. It's gonna take that money.
Speaker 8: That's but then there's con they can't They can't make you play.
Speaker 7: They can't make you play. If if you're willing to lose, just like this, like le've m bail this year, was willing to lose fourteen million dollars, if you will sit out and take a stand, a real stand, that's the way.
Speaker 1: If you have to, you have to say no to the money. You have to take that slaves to the money. That's essentially how they got you. It's a different type of slaves, a different.
Speaker 7: Type of right, it's a different type of slavery. I said, that's a different type.
Speaker 1: Like slavery because they have so much money already.
Speaker 2: Right, if you wanted to do something else, you probably could invest your money else.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but the guy did make a lot of the guys make a lot of the money. The guys blow their money so fast they don't know to have it. Yeah, I mean they really don't, well anything else.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of questions and we don't have that many questions. Okay, some of the questions I'm like, okay, I know.
Speaker 6: I saw something like, how did you bag it?
Speaker 1: Athletes?
Speaker 7: How do you bag it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, that's all one as a normal, normal woman bag athlete, like just a regularly. I read that and I was like, don't yeah, Like, but that's only because always I'm you know, it's so funny because my dad has always wanted to stay away from athlete, and then you just went.
Speaker 7: To an entertainers essentially the same almost the same thing, but not athletes, not athlete. I'm telling you the worst, which the worst with the women thing. I mean as fur as I know, because you know athletes, because think about most athletes a lot of months good looking, not but they got the bodies and they're on television the athletic people like that athletic look the athletic look like, girl, look at his body, because when a man see a woman, he might not see a phase. You're like, whoa boy? Look at that body?
Speaker 1: I mean definitely more to like a football player's body, like basketball. Yeah, because in fact we're talking to athletes in.
Speaker 7: General, right, like, yeah, but but see football, see football players. We were like most you know, the average hype of man sixty three six ' four. You know that that that cut that bill. But if I tell a woman, man, be careful what you wish for, because you would get that baby, you will be stressed out a lot of sleepless nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a normal life, and then you know you don't want you don't want that whisp you up to your to his normal life, and then he'll throw you away right back to.
Speaker 7: Normal, normal, normal life. Real sad because one because one thing about about about athletes or is that I'm gonna say forget athletes. Men just just go down. We're gonna go We're gonna go with just men, men and general most men, and I'm not saying every man, but I guarantee I would say about eighty percent of men are unfaithful, and athletes sit. This is probably about ninety nine point nine percent of unfaithful. And it's not even that you want to be. Sometimes women are aggressive and they don't give up. There some of them just relentless till a man to the point where you said, oh damn, let's just do it shit, Okay, this is get it over with. I mean, oh, man, you know I said that when this moved me to stuff happened because people say, ask me you fir, I say, man, First of all, I don't say nothing. I don't say that stuff to women. That's just not me. I mean, I'm not saying I'm like that classic guy. But I was taught better. I just don't. I don't say that. I say, but I've had women say stuff to me like, damn baby, I'm supposed to say that. You ain't supposed to say that to me. It made me really made me feelunkomp Like I'm like, oh girl, okay, how you no, girl? Like, oh, what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Aggressive?
Speaker 7: Aggressive groups?
Speaker 1: Just groupies are just in general.
Speaker 7: Always group is. You'll be surprised. I mean, you'd be surprised. I would tell people all time. You'll be surprised things women would do. It's shocking. I mean, and some said, oh, my girlfriend would never do that. I'm like, you don't know. Now with you, you don't know your girlfriend.
Speaker 6: I have a question, have you do you do you have you ever dated black women?
Speaker 7: Of course?
Speaker 1: Do you date black women?
Speaker 7: Of course? I'm supposed be in a relationship right now.
Speaker 1: But of course.
Speaker 2: They say infamously like black athletes, rarely they're black women.
Speaker 7: I bet that's several black girlfriends. I mean, I mean, I mean, I take that back, not girlfriends. I only know one. But I've never I've never had a bunch of girlfriends period. I can. I can count to girls I call girlfriends almost on one hand. I had when I was in my first girlfriend, the girl who ruined me, who made me the way I am.
Speaker 1: I always got one girl for Remember you told me this, I never want to feel this way.
Speaker 7: Now you got it. And again, not Judy, Judy Tillman. This girl, this girl was Beauty ruined him.
Speaker 1: She died damn.
Speaker 7: Fast away. But she had me strong, she had me strong eye and I won't forget. I was at my grandparents house in Houston, cause she lived in Houston. Would stay down there, be close to him. It was like my senior year and I'm going ready to go to college and my grandfather one day because you know what I think about it, in the bed, the head the head boarders up here, and so I had my feet up here, in my head down here because we only had two phones in the house, that one of the kitchen, the one in their bedroom. And my grandfather walked in one morning because he said, mmm, got my grandson backed in the bee he said, boy, because I was waiting for the phone to ring all night upside down. He said, boy, you can't handle he called a jumping judy. He said, you can't handle that girl. That girl gonna broke your heart.
Speaker 3: He had.
Speaker 7: And I will never forget. I'm like, man, if I ever get over this feeling, I will never feel like this about a woman again. I said that to myself, and I said, and my mother told me to say her. Let me tell you something, boy, She said, you always let the girl like you by more than you like vice versa. She said, because that way, you always in charge. And I've never I've never felt that way again. I made sure I didn't. I mean, I get me wrong. Yeah, I mean I love, but I'm not I'm not crazy in love like I can. I can live without you. I mean, I'm like, hey, get you another man. I would tell him, Hey, if you think I'm that bad, get you another one. See he gonna do the same thing, you know, but and not not all men are the same. But it's just hard day. The athletes.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing told me the bus it's the bus driver. It could be the lawyer, it could be doctor. It could be the nerd that you think doesn't get it, trash man like he's probably cheating too.
Speaker 7: It don't make a difference. It's it's the man. It's the man in us. It's just hard to say no, it really is. It's just it is. It's hard to say no. I mean, I hate to say it.
Speaker 1: On that note, I have one last final question. Okay, when we talked about bringing you on, we told you we had a segment called horror stories. So Holoris horror stories. Horror story is a segment where it's like scary horror story, horror story. And I feel like it's only appropriate, well probably appropriate because you're my dad, but only appropriate that we have an athlete on that has had a lot of I'm assuming hotels, and you had mentioned something about a Playboy mansion. I don't know, the Playboy party.
Speaker 7: Crazy each my crazy story, like a crazy It.
Speaker 8: Can pertain to you, it can pertain to nothing has to be scary, but just sexual, like something where it's very horrishness happened or scary or like, oh my god, like it turned and went from something good to very bad, some good to very bad.
Speaker 7: But I don't happen to playboy mansin. That was stimmach fun that we didn't really do much. It was to mansion. Wasn't like that when I got got into the league.
Speaker 1: But uh, or if you have a friend, you wanna share a friend's for her story, maybe it's less personal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, maybe I gota share one of those. Huh, let's put it like, let's put'm'm'a'm'a t I can tell you whole I would tell you a horror horse story. So I'm in Indianapolis. I'm in Indie and I had a g I there gave me a band to drive, like a you know, a band I had. There was a nice band too, And so I went to the club. Was that club? Was the name of that club? Uh, gosh, I can't think of the name of the club? Was club we used to go to on Friday nights. So we go to the club sometime, you know, I get the girls in the band go back to you know, we go take me to the house. So some of the guys, some of the rookies. Uh, one of the rookies. I won't say his name. Uh. He said, Man, we got some girls wanna go back to the house. Gonna go back to the house, I said. I. I said, well, take 'em in the take 'em in the band and and and come back and just come back and get some get us. So man, we got it.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 7: Seven girls took it to my house. And I had a basement in a basement, so when I come on, I get to the house, I mean, I don't see nobody else. When I go in the basement, I see, man, it's naked girls at the well. I'm like, what going on around here? So I mean, god, the guys come and taking their clothes off, getting like getting naked, you know. And I walk in the one room as in the basements that like the like what air conditioning units? Well, I see a girl on her knees. Imbarrassed to say this area. It wasn't mean, but I said, I said, girl on her knees. And I just see her head going up and said what is she doing? But the guy's thing was so long it.
Speaker 1: Was like.
Speaker 7: What I couldn't even see him. I just see her. He was like he's behind the air condition. I'm like, what the hell, I won't say. I still know his name too.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, boy, you're have so many people writing you find out married.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, oh my god. That so that was it's scared.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, so that's hilarious. Okay, well I'm dad, thank you, thank you for joining us, Thank you.
Speaker 7: Georgia. So yeah, I didn't tell too much.
Speaker 1: No, it's just a bunch of moms.
Speaker 7: Okay, well all your moms.
Speaker 1: You know you.
Speaker 7: Don't be no athletes like more up today's episode. Don't if you do get your old one.
Speaker 1: Maybe they still might not marry, still.
Speaker 7: Might not marry, but calm down, they want to go to sleep early. Now.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope the Rams win. I think it's it's crazy. I was telling my dad, like when the Rams came back to La and like, I was like, there's no way these I went to a few games.
Speaker 7: It looked too good.
Speaker 1: I was like, it's gonna be a while for them to build this franchise up. And they've done it really quickly.
Speaker 7: Well, now get done it real quickly. I mean people don't realize how hard is playing Super Bowl. I mean it's very difficult. I played eleven years and I never made your Super Bowl. I played the NFC Championship game and that was like the game that we just played in against New Orleans one game before the super Bowl, So it's hard to get there and give I got to give credit to the Patriots just then ninth one. So that's I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like they went every years.
Speaker 7: It's crazy they cheat too, but they do. But you know, the Rams are going to the super Bowl's big for the city of LA I mean, yeah big. I mean because they haven't been the super Bowl since nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 1: It's crazy out here. It is. We are gonna do something. We should probably watch that.
Speaker 7: You can watch that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my rams that I need some new updated rams. Do you have like Dickerson one?
Speaker 7: I gotta get you.
Speaker 1: You got no jersey? I have an old I have this shirt.
Speaker 7: Of I'm gonna bring it. I' gonna get your jersey.
Speaker 1: I have a shirt that's probably as old as me, but I think it's cold.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna get your rams. I'nna get your ramp jersey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need that. I need that.
Speaker 7: I'm if I can't try to drive it off here. Before I get out of here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: What no pressure?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I want you. I want you having for the game. Yeah, have somebody to deliver it to you, but I get You'll get one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, thank you for coming.
Speaker 7: You're very welcome for having me.
Speaker 8: I love you.
Speaker 1: I love you too, And we will see you guys next week. We have a really special guest coming on next week. Oh yeah, we do.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of really cool guests coming up.
Speaker 1: We have been on our ship emailing people. Should we say who she is?
Speaker 6: So yeah, I'll see you next week and we'll catch you up on Eric this long.
Speaker 1: Sure okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and go and go and go, Rams go around.
Speaker 4: Little Banjie Loo's on my knee, sip on a dip making the trick. Wanted to afflict I bloke in my kits, in my wied missus the knee, Little Banjie louis on my knee. Bulls bundles guns hit that plug, butted bots chops the pot cause you're bringing up the notes.
Speaker 1: Rock my many staffs and go natural foot some one in the common. So we I in the summer.
Speaker 4: So fund bundas hit that plug up, but bundus beauty, chop the pots, cats, your bringing up the nose, rock my money staffs. Then go natural footing.
Speaker 1: So if woman in the seat in the summer, please do.
Speaker 4: Not ask me or any black or brown woman if our hair is real or not.
Speaker 5: If it's away a week expansion, great, don't fucking master very road is extremely personal to be put on a spotlight that how we choose to live.