Speaker 1: It's nine Oh Gene Onegin with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: You guys. I cannot believe. Hi everybody, by the way, I cannot believe that you watched this episode last week and were able to sit on it and not talk about it last week.
Speaker 3: It took like my strength.
Speaker 4: Yeah, literally, I did the same though.
Speaker 2: You did the same thing. I can't believe you just didn't like sew all the beans. I watched it last night and I had like six OMG moments, like major like o MG, I cannot believe what I'm seeing with my eyeballs.
Speaker 4: Literally, it was so good. It is so good. This is the one. So okay, Jen. So there's like some pivotal things in your ten year run at nine oh too and oh that when people come up and go, oh my god, Kelly's been through it. This is one of them. This is like in the top three.
Speaker 2: This is this, This is like the second one. First was the pills, the diet pills there and now we're getting burned people there. You go, well, I don't even know if she survives. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she does because I'm still here, So.
Speaker 3: Say that because if you hadn't when I moved up on the call sheet, oh god on it took it without you. Took all my strength not to watch the next episode to me too survived.
Speaker 2: Dudeola was like, we have to watch. I can't. I need closure. I cannot go to bed with this feeling of Kelly being trapped in this bathroom praying to God that she survives. And I said, absolutely not. That is breaking the rules of the OMG pact that we all have. We can't watch by and go ahead.
Speaker 4: Imagine if you binge watch and just like forty eight No, it wouldn't even be forty eight hours, Like how long would it take you if you binge watched? Usually it's like you know, and like Netflix is like ten episodes, ten, five more seasons.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we was still I still have been on that couch.
Speaker 3: What is there five hundred hours of show?
Speaker 4: Imagine?
Speaker 2: It was, well, you guys, if you don't know, we're talking about, uh, this this episode? What the heck is?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Called Up in Flames, episode thirteen of season five. It aired November thirtieth, nineteen ninety four, which is like, you know, a week ago.
Speaker 4: I know we're right on track by the it's so cool, like I feel like this happens to no one. So we might not be the first rewatch podcast, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're the first rewatch on the same date. Rewatch.
Speaker 4: Wait, we're groundbreaking gen but we've heard that before and then no one appreciates it. Synopsis. Emily Valentine makes a surprise visit and Brandon can't resist her fancies. Dylan confesses his love for Kelly when she visits him, and rehab Valor and Steve start getting frisky until fire spreads at the rave, leaving Kelly trapped downstairs praying for her life.
Speaker 2: Directed so well by Gilbert M. Shelton and written by Meredith Stein.
Speaker 3: Right you start, right from the start. I had concerns because I believe that you all were getting pine cones to put in the fireplace.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't do so.
Speaker 2: There was so many layers of like fibers being crossed and like just the.
Speaker 3: Pine cones in a fireplace.
Speaker 2: Pinecones in a fireplace are very flammable, they are beautiful. They're so bad they bet they burned fast. But there were so many like little foreshadowing moments and connective tissue, like little easter eggs in this episode. I loved it all like fire like little fire things and yeah.
Speaker 4: But not in the way sometimes it's two nine oh two to one zero esque. On the note, it was seated and you appreciated them as a fan. So maybe this episode, in hindsight, is better as a rewatch episode because you can go, oh my god, there's these Yeah, it's coming.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think you're so right. I mean, gosh, this episode really made me fully comprehend why we're doing this podcast. Yes, yes, because yeah, it was maybe really understand As I was watching us. I was like, I had no idea that this was happening with Brandon and Emily while I was because yeah, we read the scripts right when we were doing it. In the nineties we were filming the show. We read the scripts really quickly. We never had like a sit down read through with the whole cast. It was very like isolated. You read the script, you prep your lines, you go do your scenes. So it wasn't like we knew what was going on with any of the other actors really or with any of the other scenes, and you never saw it. So you basically went there, did your work and went home and kind of left it there.
Speaker 4: You know, Let's be honest, we were young and we didn't read the other scenes that we were in. First of all, we were filming like fifteen to sixty, you know, like you, but we like we probably didn't even know Mly Valentine was in it. When we went through the script, were like.
Speaker 2: Them beside myself.
Speaker 4: Wait, Jen, do you remember?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry when we this will come later when we talk that we actually went to read throughs, like in the late seasons, like in the last two, do you remember that happened? It became a thing and we were all like, oh, we went to.
Speaker 2: That like them down on the other stages.
Speaker 4: Oh my god remember And I don't even know why it happened, but it Why did it happen? Did someone say we need read throughs or like everyone needs to be on the same page. And we're like, now, like eight seasons in now we're going to start, like Manda Tory read through is once a week, and we're all.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think it lasted very long.
Speaker 3: Questions was Christine still dating Jason at this point? And do you think yes? Do you think you guys did know she was there? Because you don't really have any interaction with her, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I mean, we must have known that that content was in the episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, but even I did not remember this. We've said like, does she come back? Does she come back?
Speaker 2: And you're like, and you think we would remember it with that page boy haircut. I'm sorry, but that is a very memorable look she brought back from Paris.
Speaker 4: I do remember that hair do. I just didn't think it came at this point in the program. Literally, I thought it was later. I didn't remember it. Now, did she come back again?
Speaker 3: Amy, I don't think so. I think this show and how mad are we at Brandon.
Speaker 2: I feel like I can't can't quite just jump to that right now. I feel like I need a little bit ready.
Speaker 4: In all fairness, yeah, if we were in a therapy session, we wouldn't go right to that. If we were like Kelly like whoa, you would like, wait, okay, let's let's be friends here. And just like first first.
Speaker 2: OMG moment in the run of show was Emily freaking calls the wallsh house.
Speaker 4: And Kelly answers yep, because of course that happens. I was I mean, that would happened in my personal life, Like literally, like anything that can't go wrong. Well, so yeah, but it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was really just enjoying their their togetherness, I think, swear to god, last episode maybe a couple. I was like, I really like Brandon and Kelly together. He's so trustworthy, he's the good guy. Are such a great energy between these two, and and now this they.
Speaker 3: Just learning the perfect crop sweater, black and brown, cute everything.
Speaker 2: Christy Brinkley gets a shout out, I get a reference to Billy Joel and Christy Brinkley.
Speaker 4: You know what, I don't know. I was starting to not like Brandon after the Dylan episodes, not not like him, no, no, no, no like him. For Kelly. I felt like in the hospital he made it like about him, Like I don't know, I was starting to be like hi as a fan this time watching like as no other connection, I kind of felt like, oh, Dylan and Kelly, I'm seeing that again, and that's starting to make me have flutters.
Speaker 2: For that doing that. Until this episode, okay, fair, I was not feeling that at all, because you know why, because Kelly has morals at well, newfound morals.
Speaker 4: But she she'll lose him again in a little bit. But yeah, there's a call on the storyline. But yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 3: How about the Brenda mentioned So it's not Brent, right, and you know it's Emily Valentine immediately. The voice is very unique and you're sort of like.
Speaker 2: I literally gasped so loud in my house. I scared the kids. Yeah, and I screamed during this episode.
Speaker 4: They must have freaked out. They're like, what is their dirt somewhere on the counter?
Speaker 2: What I actually like yell like screamed at the TV in this episode, which i'd vote normally do.
Speaker 3: How do you feel that he made plans with her start with that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: What was he supposed to do on that phone call? Like, because he didn't know how to handle that?
Speaker 4: Well, like, can we go backwards? So they have been keeping in touch since she's been in Paris?
Speaker 2: No, he clarifies that. She clarifies that late. He clarifies that later and says, you never text or you never called, you never sent him a postcard in the.
Speaker 4: Call called like literally like not one. Sorry, I don't like it's not she.
Speaker 2: Just ghoest ghosted him. Okay, But apparently according to like what he was saying in that scene where we learned that he was trying to stay in touch with her or hoping to or thinking that they would, and so was I as an audience. I was like, they said they love each other. He said, he's gonna wait for her. Then she goes off and does her things. She's got to be coming back at some point, and here she is.
Speaker 4: He's such the girl in this. Oh man, that's what happens. You're like.
Speaker 2: My next OMG moment was this was the beginning of social media, you guys. Yes, this episode was the dawn of like.
Speaker 3: A hell chat boards. Hell, that's how they.
Speaker 2: Basically a party. Yes, it was so fascinating to go back look at first of all, see that giant computer that they were kicking on with the like cookie you know, all that that was me and being the Internet. Thanks, But it was like I felt like that was so groundbreaking that the show was showing that, and like, I don't know, it was just so interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Doing their ground breaking for them. Now when you watch it, it's like, oops, that dated us.
Speaker 2: Oops there, guys, look at the look at the giant computer, Look what they're doing, And that my kids were so not interested and in the advancements of technology while I tripped out on it for a while.
Speaker 3: And David was getting it wrong. But Claire sure, She's like, I think you're doing it wrong.
Speaker 2: She's like she's tech savvy before tech savvy was a thing totally. And he posted the information on the Women seeking Women website.
Speaker 1: Which was great. I was like, to like, what rave? Ever, I loved it. That's why I said.
Speaker 3: I sort of like thought maybe you could fall in love in the bathroom and the whole show could be better for it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call that a rave though, That's not what I lay mass House Park.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I've never been to a rave on TV. First of all, it's too bright there. Put them in my bucket list. You guys have never been to a rave?
Speaker 2: Well a rave? Are you seeking?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Nothing like I've never been to one. Never thought I would Just with nah, I I've never been to any of this.
Speaker 3: Have you been a Burning Man?
Speaker 4: No, I've never been to anything. Jen know is like, I don't scared of everything, joy any of it?
Speaker 2: Your a rave on?
Speaker 3: Have you been to Burning Man? Jenny?
Speaker 2: I've never been to Bernie Man. All my Austin friends have tried to get me to Bernie Man. And I've been like, m do you think you'll go?
Speaker 4: We should we go next year?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd rather go the Northy out into the desert with my family and friends, not a bunch of crazy people tripping on things.
Speaker 3: Have you been to Coach?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately? Yes, me too.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately I have not. You guys have never been to anything Tori.
Speaker 3: We're taking to the Rolling Stones Tory, now, I know, but I've been to that. Just saying go and.
Speaker 2: Aget and here comes old sleazy mix leezer Val into the She just sort of SLINKs in like a serpentine and you're like, what is she She's so why is she so sleazy?
Speaker 4: Because it's roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's so over the top and like so hardcore.
Speaker 4: Well now that shed it's so nighttime soap, like we need a little bit of that, Like we don't just be like.
Speaker 3: She wants Steve back now that she doesn't have Dylan.
Speaker 2: She does Steve, she just wants to manipulate him. And he's such an idiot. I think I screamed at the TV. Then when he started kissing her the worst kisses. By the way, I'm sorry, no offense to either of these two people, but those kisses didn't do it for me. The val and Steve, I don't feel like they have a connection spark, but that makes me know she doesn't really let you Steve really do.
Speaker 3: Though they were going to sleep together if not for the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came out all disheveled, half past half dressed, hair a.
Speaker 4: Muss hair of muss BedHead.
Speaker 2: I think they were already.
Speaker 4: Actually fed hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you prefer her with Dylan or Steve? Though, I pregod has.
Speaker 2: Question, do I have to pick you like her with Dylan?
Speaker 4: Duh?
Speaker 3: Oh you do?
Speaker 2: I mean as far as chemistry, yeah, that's a better yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, just for chemistry. Neither of them are going to work out. So if I had to watch her with someone, sorry.
Speaker 3: Oh, I prefer Steve.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a miss he's looking for, declare.
Speaker 3: He's a little bit perfect for her because he's a little bit of a you guys.
Speaker 2: Because they're like like minded, like yeah newer slash hustler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's like a good heart schemer and she's a bad heart at schemer.
Speaker 3: That's right, Tory, that's right. He's a good hearted schemer.
Speaker 4: Still scheming. I don't want to see either of it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Probably from Dylan.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I'm glad she's away from Dylan. That opens up her.
Speaker 4: Who are we going to pick for her?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: God, she's taken my man next, isn't she?
Speaker 2: I can't wait. That's gonna get so fair that.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying a word. I'm not saying a word.
Speaker 2: But I do love all the couples though, like I'm really loving like that. There's you and your your boyfriend and Claire and her boyfriend. I say, Claire and her birfriend with David and his girlfriend, however that works, and then I go for the roomy bond, and then Brandon and Kelly. It just seems so realistic like that they're all hanging out together.
Speaker 4: And I know I said, but that would be boring too long on TV. Yes, I don't know, Tory.
Speaker 3: I know I've said this. I don't know why they made Ray go bad because he's literally a hero in this episode. He's saving everybody, he's running in the fire. I prefer that guy to the unhinged, abusive after this episode.
Speaker 4: I don't know. We have to ask because I want to go on record now that I feel like they didn't know they were taking him in that direction, sharing to make him a series regular, which they end up doing, because they didn't guess a recurring. You know, at this point, I feel like they didn't know, like you never do that they wanted to make him the hero.
Speaker 3: It feels like they didn't know because we had the pumpkin incident, which was so odd, like the smashing of the pumpkin, and that was sort of foreshadowing what becomes.
Speaker 4: I think it was a complete coincidence.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're right because we have so many things and who.
Speaker 4: Can we ask?
Speaker 3: Just kidding everybody because everybody really establishes him as the hero. Also, the guitar totally just came out unscathed, of course, But yeah, I prefer him. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer this Ray the sort of yes, a little bit inure, the good guy risking his life for everybody.
Speaker 4: I watched him film that I was turned on, No, not turned on, stop stop stop, I mean, I'm trying to save myself here. I watched that. I was like, oh my gosh, I would like this guy like that's that, that's the guy, like what he's been in the last few episodes, it's kind of like boring. We were like, oh, he's just so soft and like there's really not much there. So they knew this was coming, which is.
Speaker 2: Great and and uh, okay, so help me here. Yeah, the guy that Casper, that's the name Griffin Griffin. Okay, what's the character's name, Griffinriffiny, Okay, Griffin. You see his true colors and eastlinks off? Is is that the actor that we just interviewed. Yes, trying to connect my dots. They've gotten a little scattered lately.
Speaker 3: Oh and Steve and Griffin are kind of going at it because and got left off the.
Speaker 2: Flyer and then he slips off into the night like a coward.
Speaker 4: Is this his last episode? Oh no, no, no, no, no no no no no no no no no I remember yep. No, Oh my god, who said.
Speaker 3: I'm sick of your lip?
Speaker 1: Steve?
Speaker 2: I think Steve said that. That's definitely a Steve line.
Speaker 3: Wait. Wait, two.
Speaker 2: The Santa Anna's have been on the show before. This is their their second or third appearance as basically a weather character.
Speaker 3: It's late for the Santa Anna's a little bit and there's November, but like, okay, good, good, shout out to the Santa Anna's.
Speaker 2: I loved when they did the Santa Anna Anna references or episodes. I don't know. There's something about the wind that in those scenes with Brandon on the patia, on the balcony and then when Kelly comes out, the wind is like something like a catalyst for something coming, something's brewing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's also very la and really kind of re establishes like we're in la.
Speaker 2: And I shell for a second like we were really.
Speaker 4: Kansas, but you know, we're not in Kansas anymore, and there's no tornado coming.
Speaker 2: We've had no though. Yeah, I felt like we were definitely like by the beach. I believed that that balcony was real.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. Wait, the balcony is not real. We didn't shoot that at the beach house.
Speaker 2: Oh that's on stage.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. No, we believe it fully.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of shows where they they do that in the lightings all off and wait, like our show, there's week every week we were like, oh that shot, doesn't that look real?
Speaker 4: So real today?
Speaker 2: And I always looked for it. Yeah, but those flashbacks in that scene with Brandon and Kelly on the patio, those flashbacks.
Speaker 3: See, I'm glad you brought that up, Jenny. I thought in this particular episode flashbacks were utilized like perfectly, and they were just so seamless and like.
Speaker 2: And then they were black and white. There was something so perfect about that.
Speaker 3: And this was such a well done episode.
Speaker 4: I think it had a lot to do with the director guilty too. We loved him. But yeah, it's just a lot of things that have not done in our opinion, correct before We're a miss, that's all. We're not a miss here.
Speaker 3: No, that didn't surprise you. It was a year ago that we were in San Francisco with them. It feels longer me.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, right, that felt about right.
Speaker 2: But those flashbacks were crazy. But then and then when Kelly went to see Dylan, at first I was like, wait, they're so physically comfortab and close to one another as when I feel like the last time we saw Kelly and Dylan, she was being kind of mean to him about his accident and there hadn't been any like repair work done there and their relationship. But now she's visiting them in rehab and their arm in arm and they feel so close, you know, in that.
Speaker 4: Way missing in between yeah, I felt like.
Speaker 2: There was a scene missing of them having that.
Speaker 4: Like interesting me, I really like that scene. I know, I'm just happy to see it, but you're right, I didn't think of it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved that scene so much. Luke, Oh I can. That scene just felt so weirdly real to me, and like, yeah it was. It was really hard to watch and also amazing to watch at the same time.
Speaker 3: And for a viewer, just like a regular viewer like me, it just felt so authentically like Kelly and Dylan and then maybe they should be together, especially after Brandon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll get to that.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that.
Speaker 2: I mean, in general, this episode across the board with every cast member, Christina Elie, Jason Priestley, every single person really pulled their weight as far as acting in this I felt like it was so good and compelling just as a whole, everybody as a whole making the whole thing work together. It was really I'm really proud of this episode for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing takes you out of the episode. I was just fully immersed in nine O two one ero world in this episode.
Speaker 4: And everyone stepped up, and it's just I feel like, you know, five seasons in with young actors. You know, sometimes if it's not a script that's engaging, you kind of are phoning it in and stuff. At this point, and I felt like every actor was completely engaged with the storyline the script, so they were just like all for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could feel it. What about when Valerie and Steve are kissing upstairs? I had to rewind it, rewind it. Is that what you say anymore?
Speaker 3: It's rewinding.
Speaker 2: I had to rewind it and listen to him say, Valerie, You're not wearing any underwear.
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: What like what?
Speaker 2: So I'm like, wait, how does he know his hands are down there? Because you didn't see where his hands were. But at first I thought that he said, Valerie, I'm not wearing any underwear.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, why would he say that?
Speaker 2: There's a funny story.
Speaker 4: Sorry Fresco.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I had to sort of, I don't know, laugh at that.
Speaker 2: I just was like, gods, creepy, craepy.
Speaker 3: She says that, speaking of Steve though, did you guys think so when Steve Donna comes in the track, which was very cute, by the way, A driving that truck is very cute. Steve was so flirty with Donna. Did you guys notice that in that scene or did.
Speaker 5: You just say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big brother. I think I saw that because I know their dynamic, so yeah, I didn't feel any weirdness there.
Speaker 3: I sort of had a moment where I was like, why didn't we have these two together?
Speaker 4: So what Jen's referring to is just very like on point for all of our friendships with him, Like how do I don't even know how to explain it. He's like a big brother, Like he's totally a brother to us, but not in a like like he still makes you feel good about yourself and you're still beautiful and hot, but without being creepy at all, Like there's no lines ever crossed or you never feel that at all. So it's still like.
Speaker 3: But it's like a good feeling, like you know, he's very charming.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, after I drove this truck, I went and bought a vintage pickup truck stop it true story, wait, no way, and was on Well it was different back then, but there used to be oh my gosh, you guys, you'll know this. It was like a book or magazine and you get like truck trader, No yeah, yeah, yeah, is that it is that? It so in my trailer actually in my trailer on location. Right after this, I was looking through it and talking with Transpo our transportation department, be like which one should I get and talking to Jamie and like got one?
Speaker 3: Should have got the way?
Speaker 2: What did you do with a pickup? Vintage pickup truck?
Speaker 4: Okay? One time is so oh my god, it was turquoise.
Speaker 2: I ever saw this truck?
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, not for it. It would have been should she hevy? Yeah, right, yeah, this is your story.
Speaker 4: It's your truck. This is so on brand. Not knowing car okay, on the tree an h. I had to do the AE stick shift, stick shift Okay, this is like charades you guys with someone that manual, Like this is the Tory charades with someone that doesn't know cars. Yes. So they taught me that and they were like, but if you change I was like, can I change it to automatic? They're like that's going to decrease the value. Like I was like, I'm cool, I got this. Didn't know how to drive a stick shift, so I'm like I got this cool. Didn't a parking lot got him like, no problem. Anyway, drove it once with some friends to Gladstones.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what r I p Gladstones.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's gone.
Speaker 3: It's just shutting down.
Speaker 4: It's going to be one that makes by the beach the foil they make they make ducks to food home. Anyway, drove to Gladstone's from I lived on Wilshire to Sunset. It's kind of the distance. We pretend it's like two minutes like on the show, but it's really not. And yeah in that pickup truck. Drove it home from Gladstones after dinner. It's at my garage. Never drove it again.
Speaker 2: No, I looked at it all. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Jenny was one of your or both of you guys. Was one of the easter eggs. When they talk about Emily Valentine and they call her the fire Starter girl, Yeah totally. I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Pine Stones, the fire Starter line.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was set on set, like all the time when a reference to Emily Valentine, like behind the scenes, because.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that Drew Barrymore movie out at that time.
Speaker 4: It was before I was eighties. I was like my horror films like actually that was nineteen eight.
Speaker 3: I think they've redone it since Firestarter.
Speaker 4: Don't get me started.
Speaker 2: So then we go to the the party.
Speaker 3: Yeah in the mansion that was really just like a random house. Yeah, not a mansion.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a mansion. I was kind of happy it wasn't a mansion because I felt like it was going to get trashed, and I felt like it would be okay to trash.
Speaker 4: That because I loved that it was at Hancock Park, because I feel like that was very timely at the time, Like, yeah, I started to make like a resurgence Hancock Park, which, if you don't know, like Hancock Park technically if you grew up in LA was like the o G Beverly Hills. But then it took a turn.
Speaker 3: I felt like it was having a comeback. Then when I moved here in the nineties, all the the rich people lived in Hancock Paul.
Speaker 2: Rich people still live in Hancock Park, you guys, no, but.
Speaker 4: It literally like when I was when I was young, which was a long time ago, like Hancock Park was gone and then it came back when I was in my teens, like late teens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's still back like, oh really, but it was you don't want to go anywhere?
Speaker 4: What are you talking?
Speaker 3: I know, it's like I can't take a freeway there. I don't want to go there. It's hard to get to.
Speaker 4: But the houses are amazing and beautiful, and yeah, well this.
Speaker 2: Wasn't one of those amazing This looked like yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember the movie Park.
Speaker 2: Wait the girls go to first of all, this this character what's her name, the Callison, Alison's girlfriend is very jealous, yes, and scares me quite a lot. And then they go down into that theater room and I'm like, what what it soundproof?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Then they said it's completely sound proof. I was like it was.
Speaker 3: I was so stressed, this is it gonna go? Well? I felt so claustrophoned when they went.
Speaker 2: Down and like, have that moment in front of the in the theater.
Speaker 3: I think if you went into the movie room and you don't know that there's going to be a giant fire, I might.
Speaker 2: Too, really just like hang out for a minute, maybe somebody you don't know. You literally just met in line.
Speaker 3: I'm in a college Parky.
Speaker 4: Forgive me having no response because I'm like, you guys, movie rooms like in houses like their soundproof and I'm just sitting there like it's totally normal because that's how I grew up.
Speaker 3: But sometimes do they have wind?
Speaker 2: I guess they wouldn't have windows, no basement.
Speaker 3: I started to panic the minute you guys went in.
Speaker 2: There, because, yeah, that was very because I knew, we knew things were coming coming off a.
Speaker 3: Thought it was a lovely movie room, screaming room.
Speaker 4: Jodie Foster would have panic too, It's like panic room.
Speaker 6: Okay, before we go to that, one important note is that Brandon, let's talk about in a minute, tells.
Speaker 3: Andrea he can't stop thinking about Emily. And this is sort of the second time where people are really he is really opening up to Andrea.
Speaker 2: Right, But I feel like they kind of showed that because that was happening at the same time that Kelly was with Dylan, so they were trying to create a balance of like, these two characters are definitely both thinking about different things at the same time, but not telling each other that they're having these thoughts.
Speaker 4: You know, who else is he going to confide in? Honestly? Yeah, I mean I just think has no one else really.
Speaker 3: Correct? It certainly does not Dylan. I just thought that you going to see Dylan felt not inappropriate, whereas the entire Emily thing felt inappropriate to me, like, oh, what are you doing dude?
Speaker 2: And Kelly was just like, she was not happy about it, but she trusted him and she shows in that moment to be like because he was like absolutely not, no way, huh huh, Lying tea happened.
Speaker 4: If this had to happen, you guys, Sadly.
Speaker 2: It was gross. I was very very mad at Brandon.
Speaker 3: Logistically, I was a little confused by Emily's situation though. So She's got a four hour layer to La Joya, like no one flies to La Joya a.
Speaker 2: Four that was her final destination.
Speaker 3: Well or she said she could go to San Francisco, but it was just all bs. I guess she did.
Speaker 2: She was just coming to Lac Brandon see how it went.
Speaker 4: I mean, she has she she has issues in the past, so it would be on brand to.
Speaker 2: Be a little yeah, but and she I don't know, it just felt very weird that she just shows up.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Jarring, I'm more amut of him because she's just showing up, right, So she's just going back into the well calm the X now that she's back in America, he doesn't know anything. She's not really she doesn't know he now. She's not being like I'm friends with you know, Kelly. I better we better not do this. She's definitely like I thought.
Speaker 2: That, you know, when he was straight with her in the peach pit and said, look, I have a girlfriend. It's Kelly, and she says, oh, something mean about Kelly. I felt like it was over. Then I felt like he Okay, he did the right thing. He told me has a girlfriend. He's going to take her back to the airport. Everything's going to be cool.
Speaker 4: But no, no, no, that would have been tidy.
Speaker 2: I just I honestly keep replaying two things from this episode. One is the scene where Dylan says most beautiful or not, I would have fallen in love with you either way, Kell. And the other thing is Brandon. I don't want to say goodbye, neither do I that moment in the hallway. I can't stop seeing that moment of him deciding to go in for the kiss.
Speaker 3: Can we please add the Lord's Prayer where I'm pretty sure that you're going to die and I'm like, you need to keep watching. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So chills. Yeah, oh so scary, so scary.
Speaker 4: Wait, so the getting everyone out of the fire, you guys. Yeah, So I think I brought this up last week, but I my remembrance of it, remembrance.
Speaker 2: Memory that works, My memory of it.
Speaker 4: My memory of it because we were on the back lot of Universal and they had this like fire thing rigged and they were shooting and literally, like I wasn't even like when I wasn't even filming. I sat there and watched it because I was like, well, we had to be there and we pulled an all nighter. But like I was like, this is cool, this is fascinating, Like and people would run through it and they had safety people there and.
Speaker 2: Like that was a big deal, big but it was like a small thing.
Speaker 4: Like it would be like one thing set up and they would just like close in on it and like okay, go through.
Speaker 3: Like I wonder if those background actors were just regular background actors or if they were special sort of stunt background actors because they were going to be in this sort of fight fire, like it's more stunty. I don't know. I'm just like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why I can't feel like, yes, if I remember like they.
Speaker 3: Must have been high paced. Yes, yes, background actors if not to risk.
Speaker 2: Their lives, but they weren't really risking their lives. Like literally when they when you shoot something like that, they like Tori saying you they make it look so believable, but in actuality it's a bar of gas and with holes in it where the flames come up, like exactly where they know they're going to come up.
Speaker 4: I mean still dangerous like a circus, Like a circus and if you jump through the hoop.
Speaker 3: Right, because things can go wrong, like I think about pyro and concerts all the time and like once in a and there are like bad things that happened.
Speaker 2: Look at Michael.
Speaker 3: Very expensive this episode too, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, get me and Benny Hannah. I mean, yeah, can go wrong places.
Speaker 2: It was very trigger fire that wasn't a fire.
Speaker 4: That was a burn. So next episode I'll be trigger no no, I mean allegedly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was very the the action.
Speaker 2: There were so many moving parts too. There was La X, there was that the parking lot, rooftop, there was a hotel corridor. These are all not familiar places to me as you know, as just watching it, so I felt like there were so many new and exciting moving parts to this episode that it was impressive.
Speaker 4: Right, And as said earlier, like the budget, Like, yeah, this was the big one.
Speaker 3: This had to be one of the most expensive episodes. I mean, think about this back to back with the Rolling Stones episode, Like there is some doping, Mum your money?
Speaker 2: What about did you guys? Okay, you've talked before about how you thought that Ray was such a hero and how great it was to see him helping and saving everyone. I personally thought he was moving like a sloth. What like when he was like going to get the blanket. First of all, he gets the blanket and he puts it in the punch bowl, which I'm sure is spiked with alcohol.
Speaker 3: Hello, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I didn't think of that, and that's flammable. So I was like, no, don't put it in the punch bowl. But I feel like he could have moved a little faster.
Speaker 4: I gotta be honest, I'm going to defend my boyfriend on the show. I feel like they strategically had him move at a certain pace.
Speaker 2: Hopefully I was like, go faster.
Speaker 3: I was very proud of him. And also there was a part, Oh my god, I can't read.
Speaker 4: I'm so hot in this Like when he was saving him, I was just like, uh.
Speaker 3: All right, I love this guy who breaks down. I think it's maybe Steve, but with a real good fake cry. Is it when they he realizes Kelly's still in the house and there's like he he waiales kind of and I'm like, am I am? I did I make it up?
Speaker 4: Nope, you didn't make it up. Done.
Speaker 3: I thought, wait, was there is there something at Sanders worried about her? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I just love her reaction.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, yeah, he gotcha, he got youa But that's how that's how you would react. I would think I've never been in that position.
Speaker 3: But now which of us shed? Real tears me only because I actually really really cried once you started the Lord's Prayer and you were in It was like, is she.
Speaker 4: Because chills right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was just scared and like riveted, but I didn't cry there. I cried before the Dylan Heart but not at this point.
Speaker 4: Oh you did, understandable.
Speaker 3: I was bawling, like, oh my god. It was just such good acting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The I was kind of like my jaw was down when the episode end and I was like, what is I can't what's happening? This is insane?
Speaker 3: It was, and we hear the firefighter, so we know there's a chance.
Speaker 2: I remember filming that scene too with Alison. You said her character's name was, Yeah, Sarah Nelson. She was so awesome. Good for her, right, Yeah, she was so awesome and uh, because it was really hard to film that because we were on set, you know, and having to put ourselves in that situation when there was no eminent it was like a day earlier, a day later, who knows, But like, that was a really difficult scene. I remember, and I remember just her and I just like committing to it and just holding each other together. So I felt like us as actors doing that scene together was very similar as these two characters being stuck in this fireroom, but together, you know, we were like, there's only one way out, and that's together.
Speaker 3: Good for her because she's coming in. We've never met, she's just never been on this show. And I liked her. I like immediately was like she was great.
Speaker 4: And Jenn, I remember how much you loved working with her in the commitment in the bond. You guys actually formed over that. What you're talking about right now, just going for it and it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she's in your next episode. I feel like she's in more he is.
Speaker 3: They both are, Yeah, Danna is back to They both are in the next one. I think too, Like that could happen, do you know what I mean? That's why I wasn't like you could be at a party like that in college and go downstairs with someone you don't know and sort of be chitty chatting and hat like nothing like I said, took me out. It all was very believable, and like that has happened, Like when I went to college, there was a fire like that. Yes, it's like I will cry talking about it. There was a fire like that in a fraternity at cal almost in this very same year, just a few years earlier. And yeah, it's totally It was totally real. And they probably as a result of this also and things that happened, they put sprinkler systems into almost all the sororities and fraternities in a lot of schools because yeah, this was really real.
Speaker 4: Maybe asked was the outcome okay? Or no?
Speaker 3: People were killed?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Maybe this was inspired by that.
Speaker 3: It was a bigger I think chills talking about it because I wasn't I was in high school, but my high school is in the same town, just a little bit away ten minutes, and yeah, people from my town. Three people were killed, a girl from my sorority and two boys from the fraternity. If I remember correctly, it might I think it was two boys. I definitely was one. And yeah, they made a lot of changes as a result so that it would never it was a fire that broke out in the middle of the night. Wow, So it was. Yeah. I think everything about this episode was like.
Speaker 2: The one thing that didn't work for me was that they were trapped in a bathroom and there was a fire coming for them. But why didn't they turn the water on in any capacity?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: Why didn't they just turn the shower on and let it overflow? Why didn't they turn the sink on? I wouldn't have thought of that water, I'm right. Would water keep the fire out a little bit? Would it?
Speaker 3: And I was trying so hard to see if there was a window in that bathroom. It looked like there maybe was like a tiny window, but maybe that was just like me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if there would have been a window. I'm sure they would have like been like, let's go.
Speaker 4: I wasn't even right and I was in the panic, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there was a window, honestly, no way. Wow, so many it was a big OMG episode. Wow Wow Wow.
Speaker 3: I wonder if I'm fire paranoid from this episode because I don't know about you guys, but every night I do that off off off off off thing with the stove, like every night, like full like crazy off off off off.
Speaker 2: Oh now I'm going to stress out.
Speaker 3: Am I the only one that has to check twelve times to make sure the curling iron's unplugged? Or is that everybody?
Speaker 4: Everybody?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not that good about it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. I leave the house sometimes I'm like, oh, go back in, take a picture of the thing so I don't have to do it again.
Speaker 4: And it's less for me, it's more for like the other two girls in my house.
Speaker 3: That'll I don't have so many teenagers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the we have little space heaters in our house because I like the house to be cold. I don't like the heater on that strong, and so they have little space heaters in their rooms and they don't turn them off. I now take the space heaters away as like a punishment, because like, I'm not messing around with this. You can't like leave for school and leave your space heater in your bathroom. It's very scary. Fire is scary.
Speaker 3: Very this episode was very real.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. I thought you were just about to make like trying to make it like light and be like this episode was brought to you by Nope, nope, fire.
Speaker 3: Safety batteries for your smoke alarm. Make sure. I don't know, I do think. Yeah, I mean, look, it is such a good episode.
Speaker 4: Brilliant.
Speaker 3: It was such a good episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad that you guys didn't tell me what was going to happen, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the fifty five T shirt though that Claire had so cute huh, great fashion. Yeah. Lots of crops, lots of crop tops. I could have been today. I just went to I went the other night after jingle Ball the in and out in uh Westwood, and I'm like so many.
Speaker 4: Wait they were still open. We tried to get there. It was closed. You got to in and out.
Speaker 3: I made it and the west On that line was out the door. Those kids love in and out.
Speaker 2: Oh they do, do.
Speaker 3: Someone one of the young young people. That's how old we are that we call people young people. One of the young people with me was like, where is UCLA? And I'm like, you're you're in it? Like that, you're you're in it.
Speaker 4: This is a wow, little kids, these young stores.
Speaker 2: Well, we have next week, we have episode fourteen coming up Injustice for All.
Speaker 3: And it's a it's very connected connected.
Speaker 2: And that's what's so great about this show now is that it's very serialized, like one episode leads you to the next one leads you to the next one. And that's why I'm so sucked in, and that's why millions of people across the world were so sucked in, because you want to know what's going to happen. Oh, I'm open. I'm alive too.
Speaker 3: The only reason I know you're alive is because soon later you get to be a drug at it sh.
Speaker 2: Jen, No, I know that happens. I just don't know how it happens, what it looks like.
Speaker 4: No, this is good, this is good.
Speaker 3: I just say justice for Ray Pruitt. I feel like they went the wrong way with that, but we'll get to that later.
Speaker 4: All right, everybody, be careful, please inner Christmas trees and your fusee boxes.
Speaker 2: Maybe just get a fire make sure you're fire thingy. What's that called extinguisher is?
Speaker 4: Don't do that?
Speaker 2: Up to code and ready to go. So you have a plan, Let's have a plan in place. Let's let's let this episode I'll teach just remind us to have a plan in place for a fire hazards. This is true brought to you.
Speaker 3: By the Wait, what do you guys get? It's a total dancing.
Speaker 4: With the star.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, all right, everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't want to end. I want to keep talking about more next week. We can do more next next week.
Speaker 2: Yes, love you guys. Have a good one.