Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Crude on track, at least for now, for its steepest month of the client since twenty twenty. Optimism building for a resumption of traffic through the straight upformers as anergy producers are highlighting the risk of an extended closure. Chefron's been warning quote we will start to see physical shortages. The CEO, Mike Worth, I'm very pleased to say joins Center Studio. Mike's going to see you. Good to see you, John, Welcome back to the program Sir. I get this question a lot. You're the expert. Help me answer it. Why is crude at one hundred at ninety and not close to the two hundred given this straight it's been shut for three months.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a little hard to explain.
Speaker 3: We really are seeing markets, Titan inventories draw demand for products around the world still very strong.
Speaker 1: I think there's this belief.
Speaker 3: And we you know, we're experiencing it again the last few days that the end is near. The conflict is nearly resolved, and flow through the straight will resume very quickly, and that has kept the back end of the curve lower than it might otherwise. Have been, and I think the psychology the market has been this is closer to the end rather than the beginning.
Speaker 4: But what about the physical world? When will inventories be at the very bottom?
Speaker 1: Before long?
Speaker 3: We are steadily drawing inventories down on products on crude in locations around the world. I think June and July are going to be critical months, and you can see the trajectory of these inventories in the data.
Speaker 1: And it's concerning do you.
Speaker 4: See any physical shortages right now around the world.
Speaker 3: We do see some in some Asian markets, and we've seen some rationing. We've seen work weeks adjusted, other demand measures imposed in some of the countries in Asia. Markets are very efficient at moving products and barrels to where they're needed, and we haven't reached a crisis point yet, but the inertia in the system is very, very strong and turning that is not easy.
Speaker 4: One of the main sticking points the US has when it comes to negotiating with Ron is this idea of the tolling.
Speaker 5: Would cheveryone consider paying a toll?
Speaker 1: No, we wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Do you know how people are paying a toll?
Speaker 3: I've heard reports of people using cryptocurrency in various countries. I think the Treasury has come out this week and sanctioned the new authority that has been put in place to oversee transit through the Strait. It went from a toll to a navigation fee.
Speaker 5: To something a navigation fee, a cop.
Speaker 3: I don't know enough about any of these things to say definitively, but look, freedom of navigation through international waterways is a very well established principle, and anything like this would begin to say that countries adjacent to an international waterway can charge some sort of a transit fee. There are many other places in the world where that principle could be applied, not just to energy products, but to all freight moving through the Straits of Malacca, the Bosphorus. Pick your choke point, and so that's not a principle I think that most countries in the world would find acceptable.
Speaker 6: How far are we away from having pipelines that connect some of these countries to the mainland and their production without having to traverse the straight at all.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a couple that exists now that you've talked about in Saudi and the UAE. The UA sanctioned a project last year which is about fifty percent complete to get more of their production over to Fujira and outside of the Strait.
Speaker 1: So I think you would see more of that, Lisa.
Speaker 3: The one opportunity there is countries like Iraq and Kuwait that are deeper up in the Gulf don't have access to those pipelines, and for them the route could be through the North and ultimately then into the Mediterranean, maybe through Turkey, where we see a pipeline comes out of Caspian Sea over into the Mediterranean in Turkey. And so I do think one of the responses to this will be infrastructure investments that will allow these energy flows to avoid the strade and horror moves. And that's underway now and I think you'll see that in the years that follow.
Speaker 6: We started the conversation talking about why oil prices aren't higher, and you're saying that we're getting close to breaking the bottoms of some of the inventory bins. And we were speaking just a moment ago with Alex Saltman at Barclays who said we actually could see a glut of oil in six to twelve months time if there is a resolution here, based on the production levels of so many different oil companies and countries, what's your take on that. Do you think that that's a feasible interpretation.
Speaker 3: Well, history says that shortages tend to be followed by gluts, and high prices send a signal and markets work, Consumers consume less, producers produce more in response to a price signal, and there's a time lag in the way both of those manifest themselves in the market. And what has happened historically is at the time that the new supplies reach the market, demand may have turned down through conservation measures, economic slowdown, maybe a recession, and you can see those lines crossover and the price cycles down. It's why commodity markets are cyclical, is they tend to overshoot. And history says when we get into one of these situations that is somewhere out in the future.
Speaker 2: What signal do you take from the futures curve? I'd lovely reaction to that, because so many people have pointed to the back end of the futures curve as a prediction of markets, of where they think CREUD will be. How does an energy boss like yourself look at the futures curve?
Speaker 3: Not very frequently. It's not something we use for planning purposes. We do a certain amount of hedging in our business on commercial activity where you will use futures, but we don't look at futures curve as a prediction of future price. We do our own fundamental analysis on demand, supply, technology, policy, economic growth and arrive at our own scenarios, and we don't use a point fourcast or a curve. We use a range of scenarios. Prices are hard to predict in these markets, and so we don't anchor on a single price.
Speaker 1: We use a range of prices.
Speaker 6: What's fascinating is you were talking about how typically commodity markets tend to overshoot and then you get the glut just as demand falls off. Are we overshooting because what I keep hearing is that we're not overshooting.
Speaker 5: The actually oil prices and the.
Speaker 6: Future's curve is remarkably low, and that people keep consuming. And frankly, people like yourself are not investing in more production right now. You're not increasing production traumatically to offset some of what's going on. So is this time different in terms of the commodity cycle.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, we are increasing production. Our production growth seven to ten percent this year, which is a lot in a world where demand is growing one percent on average, and so there is investment in growth. Is this time different? You know, people say that every time and often find themselves regretting having said that this time is this is the circumstances. Here are things we haven't seen before. The twenty percent of the world's energy production cut off for now nearly one hundred days. A billion barrels that is not in the market that otherwise would have been in the market is not something that we've seen before. So that part of it is different. How commodity markets respond have a pattern that has been proven through different types of shocks to the system that is remarkably repeatable. Maybe not perfectly predictable, but it is something that you have to bear in mind when you're in this business, as you allocate capital and as you plan for your business.
Speaker 1: Is these patterns exist for a reason when.
Speaker 4: You allocate capital. I want to ask you about Venezuela. When will you put fresh dollars into the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're currently operating under a system that's been approved by the US treasure and the Venezuelan government to recover debt that we're owed. We made some loans to their state owned company many years ago and they weren't repaid, and so we set up a mechanism to ensure repayment oil flows to the US, which is important for us for fine. We're working our way through that and we'll recover the debt over the next year or so, the final portion of it, and then we need a new set of fiscal terms under which we would invest in the country. Right now, the amount of tax and royalty that's paid doesn't leave enough for an investor to get a return on their investments.
Speaker 1: The country has changed.
Speaker 3: It's a hydrocarbon law has indicated a new range of taxes and royalties that would be applied to the energy sector, but they've not been specific about wearing the range those would land.
Speaker 1: So there are.
Speaker 3: Negotiations underway, discussions Even this week, we had a team in Venezuela that had some discussions on this issue. I expect over the next short period of time we may see some clarity from them on specific values on corporate income tax, on a range of things on royalties and how that might be applied. So there's progress being made to clarify the things that would be needed in order to make those investments, but we don't have enough clarity right now, understand what the regime would look like, and so it's unlikely we would put capital to work until those things are clarified.
Speaker 2: Inquiring minds want to know. I'm getting the feedback right now. So December is trying to get eighty four. What is the Microworth chef Ron price this year? What's the range in your scenario?
Speaker 3: Planet, Well, the range on the low end would probably get to that number, and on the high end if we were to see an extended constraint on transit out of the straight and horror moves. The question is how high is high?
Speaker 2: You get to very high numbers, so your low is actually where December is priced right now.
Speaker 3: Assumptions right, we don't tip into a recession, we don't have some other exogenous event. But yeah, it's going to take months john two to clear ships out of the strait, to make sure that the mines have been cleared, to establish to get two thousand ships out, they don't all go out at once. You need weeks and weeks. Somebody's got to prioritize to bulk traders go out first, to container ships go out first, to us, Allied ships go out first or last. Arranged two thousand ships. Decisions unclear at this point.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't it be the fifth fleet.
Speaker 3: It's unclear at this point. So there needs to be assystem to prioritized traffic. Shipowners have to be convinced that it's safe to transit through the strait. There need to be some sort of security measures, and then that's just to get ships out. You have to get ships in as well. And the tanks inside the gulf are full. That's why production is being slowed or stopped is because there's no place to put it. The ships are full, of the tanks are full, so you need new ships to come back in. Shipowners have to be comfortable sending ships back in after having ships trapped for months and crews trapped for months. They may or may not be willing to move all of their vessels back in. There's other routes now that are trading US to Asia is a very heavily traded route. There's a lot of ships in that service, so it will take months and then you then you start to clear out the inventories that are in tanks, which allows fields to restart, damage to be repaired.
Speaker 1: This doesn't happen overnight and so this is going to be with us for some time.
Speaker 2: I got to ask you, do you just sit here and say you first, how do you think about it?
Speaker 1: Well, we'd like to get our ships out. It's not a decision that ship.
Speaker 3: We have six ships inside the straight right now with our cargoes. All of them are chartered, so they're owned by a third party, and we don't ultimately make the call. The ship moowner decides whether or not he wants to put his vessel and his crew through the strait, and so that's a decision. We provide advice on input too, but we can't make that decision. So it's a very complex set of decisions that need to be made to begin to get things moving again, and it will happen slowly. I would expect there will be some stop and start to it. There still has been kinetic activity this week, someone which has been reported to the media, someone which has not, and so we see risks very real still in that.
Speaker 2: Generally you can't say things that hasn't been reported. What's not been reported? What are you hearing?
Speaker 3: Well, there's there have been There have been vessels that have been in transit that have suffered attacks.
Speaker 2: That's more than what we've heard of in the press.
Speaker 1: Yes, our reports would indicate that what do.
Speaker 2: They suggest how frequent of those attacks been.
Speaker 3: Maybe not every day, but there have been multiple incidents that have occurred, Mike.
Speaker 2: For the people of California, people waking up early this morning, perhaps on the West coast and tuning into this program, what's your message to them about why gas prices are so much higher in their state compared to everybody else.
Speaker 3: Well, this is politicians gas lighting about gas prices. The fact is California's policies for two decades have been driving prices higher. California has six refineries operating.
Speaker 1: Today, a little bit more than a year ago. We had nine.
Speaker 3: Refining capacities, down seventeen percent in just the last year. California has the highest taxes and fees in the nation. Californ On imports sixty percent of its crude oil, twenty five percent of its diesel, twenty percent of its gasoline, similar amounts of jet fuel. And we're in a situation where world energy markets are tight and so prices are going up everywhere. California has long been the highest price state in the country because the policies have constrained supply and demand is continuing to be very robust in a state where supply has been consciously constrained by policy.
Speaker 4: But how do some gasoline companies stations like Costco keep actually lower prices though he's.
Speaker 1: Got a different business model. I think.
Speaker 3: A hypermarketer like a Costco has things they use as almost a loss leader to bring traffic in and can operate on a very small margin because you go to the big box and that's where the revenue is, and the real P and L comes through the subscriptions and the memberships. A small service station owner doesn't have the benefit of that. They have to make a margin on the fuel that they sell and maybe some ancillary goods. So retailers all have different business models and you see that in the marketplace, and they meet different customer needs, so used to arrange of those prices.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Chevron is going to be on the mind of Gavin Newsom as he looks for twenty twenty eight presidential run. But it's also been I mean, you've been front and center when it comes to this administration as well. Do you spend more time in Washington or the Permian lately?
Speaker 1: Probably in Washington. I like being in the Permian.
Speaker 3: But my job requires some interaction with elected officials in the Senate and the House, the administration, and during a time of extreme distress in energy markets, there's a lot of dialogue that goes on in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: So hopefully I'll get to the Permian on the second half of the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which would require a gasoline price is going down, and recently they've been remaining at this relatively high level, though they have diff just a bit. You talk about how he could to end up seeing shortages in the next few weeks even in the United States. Looking right now at distillate fuel inventories the lowest levels here since two thousand and three, a pretty shocking number. How much could you foresee gasoline prices in the United States rising outside of California because of just simply shortages that you're seeing on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, right now, the US has come to the rescue of some of our allies around the world. We're exporting crude at record levels. We're exporting products to Europe in particular, and so what that means is products that might otherwise be used in the US are being highly valued elsewhere, and so we're seeing flows in that direction.
Speaker 1: Inventories are low for.
Speaker 3: Diesel for gasoline in the US, and we're moving into a period of time which seasonally says demand is likely to rise.
Speaker 1: The refineries in the country are running.
Speaker 3: As hard as they possibly can. They're all near maximum.
Speaker 1: Utilization, and so the market is tight.
Speaker 3: And this is the reason why I've talked about concerns about upward pressure on prices, because you can get away from the crude forward curve and get to diesel inventories, gasoline inventories, and the prices of those products, which are really the products that are consumed. And we're in a period where inventories are tight, demand and remain strong, prices are elevated, and there's risks they go higher and shortages that have now only really appeared in Asia could begin to show up in other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Mike, you one of the very best a clinic has always We appreciate your time. Thank you, sir, Thank you. My worth as a Chevron CEO