Speaker 1: Media.
Speaker 2: Hi, James, you know, talking with you goes by it really quickly. It's almost like no time has passed since we last recorded, but it's actually been a whole week. Crazy how time flies. Yeah, that's sad. It's the magic of pocasts yep. In the last episode, we left off by talking about how the US took over the Guano Islands and how it established US expansion as a mission of resource extraction. The Guano Islands were uninhabited, but this episode is all about how the US overseas expansion took over people as well as land. So to talk about the five inhabited US colonies, we need to talk about the Spanish Empire. Throughout the nineteenth century, Spain's expansive empire shrunk considerably. Several of their colonies were either overtaken by the US, as in the case of Florida, or became independent, as in the case of Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and others. By the end of the nineteenth century, the Spanish Empire was on its last legs, but it did have a few remaining colonies Cuba, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Cuba, the Philippines and to a lesser extent, Puerto Rico had been fighting insurrectionary wars against Spain for years by the time that eighteen ninety eight rolled around. In a final bid to keep some type of control over them, Spain gave Cuba and Puerto Rico autonomy, meaning that they could form a local government. Meanwhile, Spain entered into a truce with the Philippines with promises of future reforms. However, their insurgencies essentially continued. This wouldn't last long because the US government invaded the Spanish colonies a few months later as part of the Spanish American War. As I've talked about, the end of the nineteenth century was marked by the wish to expat and America's influence beyond its continental borders. It had partially done this with the purchase of Alaska, as well as the coming annexation of Hawaii, which would happen in great part because the US needed a military outpost in the Mid Pacific to support operations in the Philippines and Guam. However, it still wanted more, and Spain's weakness presented the perfect opportunity. So throughout the years before eighteen ninety eight, the government had been talking about intervening in Cubas struggle for independence. This was done for yellow journalism, which we talked about a little bit in the last episode. But essentially the newspapers were talking kind of directly to the United States government, being like, we need to spread liberty to them and freedom, we need to teach them how it goes. And this was of course mixed with manifest destiny and the Monroe Doctrine where they wanted to quote unquote protect American hedgemony in the new World.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember who said this uplift civilized and christianized our little brown brothers.
Speaker 2: Was it McKinley.
Speaker 3: It seems like it would be. But when I searched that specific thing in quotation marks, I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, So William Howard Taft, the first American Governor General of the Philippines and later US President, used the phrase quote little brown brother in cables to McKinley, So maybe it was there.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I think I may have, like combined to quotations the paternalist racism there is fantastic. I'll drop it in later when we're talking to somebody else. I was trivit's Cuba, of which country they were referring.
Speaker 2: To, I'm in based on how Puck rhythm, we could all be the Little Brown Brothers, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: That is the stereodote.
Speaker 2: They're getting cool, absolutely so. Speaking of protecting US business interests overseas, in January eighteen ninety eight, the United States sent a warship, the USS Main, to Havannah Harbor, to safeguard American business interests there as well as US citizens. However, the USS Main sank about a month later, and while the cause was likely an internal fire according to recent experts, the contemporary opinion in the United States blamed it all on Spain. Right, there was this smattering of yellow journalism that was like, you know, they did it. Oh yeah, the Spain did it to us, even though they didn't really have a way to prove that, especially not in eighteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And like the whole like going to the bottom of the ocean to look at the USS Main, it's a thing like there there have been a series of, like I guess underwater archaeology is what it is, expeditions to ascertain exactly which duration it blew out, and like, yeah, the various ones have had various conclusions. I think you rightly phrase it here. It doesn't matter what caused the explosion. It became a fact absolutely the Yellow Press, that the Spanish.
Speaker 2: Did absolutely, And I think it's really interesting that there's still and I understand that that why you want to like have a genuine conclusion, But the fact that it's still being litigated more than what is it like one hundred and twenty eight, one hundred forty years after a little bit more, a little bit lesser, a little bit more, is still, you know, kind of this conception of American nation building where it couldn't be that the press got it wrong, that the government got it wrong, and that it became a fact in the media. And that's why the US invaded Cuba and other Spanish colonies, right that the US kind of has to prove itself innocent in this regard, so per how to hide an empire? The US government and the US media wanted to intervene, but anti impeerless in Congress, imagine that didn't want Cuba to be annexed to the United States, so to ostensibly show that they didn't have colonial ambitions, Congress passed the Teller Amendment that stated that they would not annex Cuba. However, Congress said nothing of Spain's other colonies. I should also say that before the US officially entered the war that year, Teddy Roosevelt, then Assistant Secretary of the Navy, had sent ships to essentially surround all of the colonies, not just Cuba. Yeah, so they were kind of pretty clearly preparing for something, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the US went to war in eighteen ninety eight, and it won pretty handily in large part. And this is the stuff that a lot of American history books won't tell you because of the help of the independence movements that had already been fighting in these colonies for decades. However, the US did as the US does and essentially discarded these independence movements ambitions once they had helped the US win the war, showing once again that allies are not necessarily friends. I feel like this is a recurrency, a lesson that has to be taught and learned throughout American.
Speaker 3: History, right, you know, yeah, many, many, many such cases.
Speaker 2: Yep. In my opinion, nowhere is this more evident than in the Philippines, where the Liberation movement declared independence from Spain in June of eighteen ninety eight, yet it went unrecognized by the US. Instead, the US choreographed a mock battle with Spain that eventually led to them handing over their colony to the US per how to hide an empire. The Americans lack of recognition for the Filipino independence movement would eventually lead to the Philippine American War, where the US trampled and devastated the Filipino insurgency that wanted independence from one conqueror Spain originally and their newest conqueror, the United States. Yeah, you know, ostensibly they came in to help these people and then essentially massacred them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little vexiological aside. The star and triangle device that you see on like loads of flags has its like birth in this period. I believe it begins with Marti and the Cuban independence movement. Obviously, like it characterizes many of these states in their independence movement. But for a while they're like that flag was like the symbol of fighting against imperial conquest. That's why they incorporated it into the Catalan flag, the independence cena that has the triangle, and then the Catalonia just as a thing without any particular political ambition doesn't have the triangle and the star, and then you have the red triangle for like socialistic, dependentist, but like this blue triangle in flags, like it just shows how these actions that reverberated around the world. Right, Like Spain had been the empire. Yeah, and they had this in Spanish this week we call it the Anosauriblis of eighteen ninety eight, right, like the complete collapse of Spain's external possessions, and like for a while there people are like, huh, yeah, empires can fall, we can defeat them.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately a new one took its place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, empires can fall of the new empire slides in there and like gues helps with the fighting, it doesn't do all like you said, like these people have been fighting, Like Martie was dead by the time Maricevelt arrived, but he had already begun the independence movement.
Speaker 2: And actually, now that you mentioned that about the triangle, I didn't include it in this script, right, But the Puerto Rican flag is actually directly based on the Cuban flag as well. It was made in eighteen ninety five, I believe by Puerto Rican exiles in New York who were fighting for independence from Spain, and so they essentially adopted this Cuban design but inverted the colors to show kind of Caribbean solidarity and brotherhood. Yeah, and you know it's been our flag ever since, right, And yeah, there's a there's a thing about the Puerto Rican flag that I'm not going to get into too much, but like, based on the kind of col of the blue in the flag, is the political status that you support? Right? That's kind of a myth, kind of a myth that it has essentially become the fact, right right now.
Speaker 3: I love a little hidden flag shit, like the the Flounderians with their flag, Like if the lion has claws or not, it denotes sarahs on independence. I think it doesn't matter if that's what it was designed for. Again, it becomes true because everyone knows it to be true and they're using it to signal that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so. In Puerto Rico, the light blue is kind of the independence flag. That the medium blue, which is kind of the one that most often is used depending on the place, is kind of the status quo sometimes independence. And then the darker blue, somewhat of the dark blue used in the US flag. Is the one that stands for statehood.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't necessarily take this as fact, because you know, sometimes it's hard for people to get their hands on a specific color blue Puerto Rican flag, but you can usually tell based on the flag that they're waving around what they support.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, actually, speaking of flags, that the flag of the Northern Mariana Islands, it goes hard. Have you seen it? No, I haven't.
Speaker 3: The Marshal Linds flags, fucking thig. Yes, I'm actually looking at it right now. The marsh leis football shit.
Speaker 2: Let me send the epickero reques.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, that's a sick one. Yeaheah. Wow.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of very cool flag designs that I witnessed while writing this script.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, No, yeah, that one's great.
Speaker 2: So, speaking about the Philippine American War and the American occupation of the Philippines post eighteen ninety eight, quoting from Colonial Crucible, the four years of counter guerrilla warfare that followed would make accurate intelligence and imperative forcing a marked expansion of the military's limited capacities, particularly in the area of operational field intelligence. During the campaign in Manila, the US Army quote created a modern metropolitan police force that applied military intelligence and data management to the problem of political espionage, developing covert techniques of surveillance and penetration to fight a dirty war in the city's slums and back alleys end quote. And according to How to Hide an Empire, American gis tortured Filipino guerrillas by administering the quote unquote water cure, a torture method similar to the waterboarding which has happened in Vietnam and Afghanistan, right, and.
Speaker 3: In Cuba in the little US base, So we have that as well, right, And you kind of see this as part of the imperial feedback or the imperial boomerang the colonization of the US's colonies has sent back into the United States and how it's reverberated in future imperialist or colonialist conquest.
Speaker 2: Right, This one torture method, which is like very similar actually to waterboarding, has reverberated throughout American counterinsurgency history. So here you can see how the management of empire has instructed the US's military apparatus in quelling nationalist movements the world over. And this is obviously something that's come back towards the American metropol particularly the kind of counterinsurgency used in policing American military occupations. Right, This is very common because quoting from Colonial crucible quote, colonial regimes only had finite resources for costly social controls and generally shows to apply them to policing prisons, in law enforcement, and kind of the colonial of policing apparatus has reverberated throughout every single empire's history.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking of Smedley Butler taking the policing techniques he learned in Haiti back to Philadelphia with him the Filipino police, kind of setting the scene for some of the policing that would happen in the United States. This is like very much a thing that happens the world over. Or God, why am I blanking George orwell in India the policing that he did and Burma sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which was part of India at the time in the British conception.
Speaker 2: So or well, being a policeman there and kind of seeing how it impacted back home. And we see this the world over, right, in terms of militarization that the military exports that the US has taken to many, many, many countries the world over, is not reverberating back into US streets. Yeah, and actually, in terms of ice and the kind of paramilitary campaign of terror that they're doing, we're seeing the people that the US displaced in other places kind of fleeing there, trying to get a safe haven in the US. And the paramilitary tactics that were used against their parents, grandparents, were great grandparents now being used on them, right, so that the cycle of abuse and violence doesn't really and said, yeah, so you know what, won't invest resources in policing, prisons, in law enforcement these advertisers.
Speaker 3: We can't say that for sure. It might be the Washington State Highway Patrol again.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Meanwhile, in Cuba, as I mentioned previously, anti imperilests in Congress passed the law that met the US could annex it. However, that didn't mean there couldn't be a military occupation, which lasted until nineteen oh two when Cuba declared independence. However, the Plant Amendment stipulated that the US could intervene in Cuban affairs, even invade if they wanted to. It also meant that the US could establish a permanent naval base there, which is now and then called Guantanamo Bay. Very Actually, that might be the one piece of like American overseas empire that I think is very present in the American consciousness. Right, It's much more so than like Puerto Rico or Guam or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fact that it's like a cut out from Cuba to this country, that like the whole thing of this half of the Trump administration is hating Cuba and be like, oh psych, we also own a little bit of that island.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and own it like for more than a century at this point as kind of a bastion of continued control on it, right, because they couldn't annex it completely. But if you just take a little small piece of it and then use it for a lot of evil things, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to your point about it affecting the metropolitic, so much of the worst parts of US history run through that little naval enclave there, absolutely, like the worst parts of the War on Terror. We're now using it for a deportation camp, right, like it's where we do our deniable crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, that actually ties very much into a thing that I'll give a little preview on which is why the US Constitution does it really apply in the colonies. So the US would go on to occupy Cuba two more times from nineteen oh six to nineteen oh nine, and once more from nineteen seventeen to nineteen twenty two. Even after the US occupation ended, the US would go on to have a very good relationship with the Batista dictatorship because of American business interest in the Cuban archipelago. However, the Cuban Revolution of nineteen fifty three would eventually mark the end of this relationship, with the US oscillating between wanting to outright take over or destroy Cuba again as the current TRP administration wants to do, or to just being kind of very critically wary of the government. Right, there was a point in recent American history where tensions between the two countries, and I say tensions, but it's really an extremely lopsided kind of hate from the US's part. There was a time in recent memory where tensions were kind of mellowing out. Then you could visit Cuba without there being a major international incident. Under Obama, and similar to the Philippines, Cuba became an important part of how the US would portray itself overseas. There were several things that happened in Cuba and have happened in Cuba that have defined the colonial empire right like Guantanamo Bay, but this time, I don't want it to be something so dark so per colonial crucible. American forces occupying Cuba worked ceaselessly to control the dreaded yellow fever in Havana and the rest of the island. But like the public health campaigns of other colonial powers, these efforts were not an expression of medical beneficience. As elsewhere, public health in Cuba served the needs of the colonizer rather than the colonized, to protect commerce, maintain the labor force, safeguard troops and colonial administrations, and justify colonial rule. The eratica of yellow fever in Cuba, an unprecedented success of colonial public health achieved for the United States nearly all of these goals. American public health efforts in Cuba were a colonial enterprise that provided economic and political benefits to important supporters of the American imperial state. Demonstrated that American imperialism could succeed where European powers had failed, and so inspired further American colonial expansion in the region. So here you can kind of see how even if the US is doing something patently good like eliminated yellow fever in the Cuban archipelago, it's still because they want to further control Cuba and its neighboring islands.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, a similar hookworm eradication campaign took place in Puerto Rico, which remains a US colony to this day. This hookworm eradication campaign would go on to inform a similar campaign throughout the American South. However, as noted by how to Hide an Empire, the Southern campaign largely succeeded in part because of a million dollar philanthropic donation from John D. Rockefeller. Meanwhile, a victim of colonial neglect, the Puerto Rico project received only five thousand dollars, and no matter how many hookworm pills Puerto Ricans took, they became reinfected again and again because the government did not care to uplift them from poverty, which would have significantly reduced hookworm rates. In comparison, the US South essentially received this mega donation which helped them uplift them as well as like investing in like school and several other programs that made it, so this hookworm infection wasn't so disastrous for the region. However, Puerto Rico being a colony, they were like, you know, we don't need to do as much. So here we see how colonial health campaigns can be used to benefit the metropol at the expense of the colonies. Yes, Cubans and Puerto Ricans got help for their illnesses, but in one case it was used to justify further colonization, and in the other they were used essentially as guinea pigs to help white people of the American South. Puerto Rico was under military rule from eighteen ninety eight to nineteen hundreds and was eventually placed under civil administration in nineteen hundred. Under the Forker Act. Puerto Ricans would become American citizens seventeen years later, just as the US was entering World War One. It's commonly stated as a myth that we were made citizens exclusively to become soldiers, and this is like half right. The thinking by the US government was a citizenship would convince Puerto Ricans to fight any foreign aggressors that could possibly attack the archipelago, as well as help the US military project military force into the Caribbean. I should say that this is according to the book Soldiers of the Nation by Hedi Frankierrierra. And actually Puerto Rico is called the Gibraltar of the Caribbean in World War II because of its coastal defenses, got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, it wouldn't be until nineteen forty nine that we were able to choose our own governor and we became quote estalla livrasociello or commonwealth in nineteen fifty two. I'm going to spare the political conjecture. Truthfully, estallo liver ras socielo is kind of a nonsense statement. It's essentially just colony with a fancier name, right, right, There is not really any difference between Puerto Rico and Guam in this sense, right, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, same as the Northern Mariana Islands actually, but there is really no difference legally from other colonies by being called an estalla liv rasocielo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And speaking of political repression by the US government, the Puerto Rican independence movement has waxed and waned over the years. All the while the movement has faced pretty brutal political repression throughout all that time, including being bombed by the Air Force during the nineteen fifty Hadyuya Uprising, one of the few times that the US has bod its own citizens, as well as the longest domestic surveillance program in US history that spanned roughly six decades and track somewhere over one hundred thousand people according to the book Las Carbetas by Tamon Bocqueberees and Jose Jrier col Morrera. Here, like the Philippines, we see how the US's imperial quelling of nationalist movements would go on to boomerang back to the metropol. Las Carpetas as the program is colloquially known, preceded co intel Pro and its DNA can be found throughout the domestic surveillance programs that we know of and surely those that we don't. And I want to stop here to speak a little of the Puerto Rican status debate, because I've seen a lot of people who don't know anything about it acting like experts on Twitter dot com.
Speaker 3: Over the years shocking.
Speaker 2: Puerto Rico has performed several referendums over the decades where you vote on the status, and over the last decade, a state has won three of them. Truth be told, these referendums don't actually mean that much in terms of measuring public support because they've been boycotted and many people view them in the same way that they would a public poll. Also, it's non binding, which means even if whatever option wins, nothing's going to happen. Congress is the only one that could approve statehood for Puerto Rico, no matter how much Puerto Ricans ask for it. Even so, in the last referendum, during the twenty twenty four election, some form of independence meaning either full independence or compact or free association, received forty one percent support, while statehood received fifty nine percent. So while statehood is ostensibly the majority choice, it's not as clear cut as many people would want you to believe. There's also the fact that the government has inculcated a sense of if you don't vote for statehood, federal funds will be taken away from Puerto Rico. And in a colony where about forty six percent of the public budget is federal funds and nearly half of the people fall below the poverty line, that's a very very powerful boogeyman. Yeah, and now I'm sorry to say that. I'm going to summarize a lot of the history of Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands to get to how the Constitution doesn't fully apply there, but I still want people to know some of the basic facts about the other colonies. Guam was under military rule for forty seven years, first by the US, then Japan for four years during World War Two, and again by the US until nineteen fifty, when Truman signed the Organic Act of Guam, giving them a civilian administration in a civilian court. Meanwhile, the US American Samoa in nineteen hundred when local chiefs seeded Tutuila, the largest island, to the US. This was followed by Manua in nineteen oh four and Swain's Island in nineteen oh five, although it's also claimed by Tokelau, a colony of New Zealand. As I said during the last episode, American Samoans are non citizen nationals and they have to naturalize if they want to become American citizens. Per the ACLU, being a non citizen national means that they can't be firefighters, paramedics, and public school teachers. The US Virgin Islands were bought from Denmark for twenty five million in nineteen seventeen. The US had been negotiating this in one way or another since eighteen sixty five, and like Puerto Rico, USVII is an important strategic foothold in the Caribbean for military purposes. Finally, the Northern Mariana Islands have oscillated rulers between several empires. However, after World War II they became United Nations Trust territories under American administration. It became a colony of the US in nineteen eighty six. The Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Palau were also part of this Trust, but they chose to enter into compacts of free association instead of becoming colonies. There is a common trait among all of these colonies that I've mentioned for that which is being key to military force projection by the United States in the Caribbean and the Pacific. Bases in each of these colonies are crucial to the military's logistical ability to deploy throughout the world. Recently, a long dormant naval base in Puerto Rico Roosevelt Roads, was brought back to life as part of the Trump administration's attacks on Venezuela and the boat strikes throughout the Caribbean as well as including the Pacific. The planes that are doing the boat strikes aren't leaving from Puerto Rico to do in the Pacific. Obviously, another common trait that all of these colonies share is that stuff is super expensive, in part because of the Jones Act, a nineteen twenty shipping law that mandates that any goods traveling between two US ports has to move on a US flagged, owned and crude ship. People might be most familiar with this law based on the amount of times as sitting US president has put it on pause. In fact, Trump extended the Jones Act waiver for another ninety days just a few days ago to assuage pressures from oil price increases. A twenty twenty four working paper by two Purdue University economists with backing of the World Bank that the Jones Act imposes an annual welfare burden on Puerto Rico of one point or billion dollars because foreign flag commerce ships can't stop in Puerto Rico then go onto Florida, for example, they have to go to Florida first, have all this stuff moved onto a US flag ship, then it comes here and all of this cost is passed on to the consumer. The Jones Act also affects Hawaii and Alaska.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people who have not experienced this will not realize the profound nature to which this and just being so far from the colonial core impacts everyday life. Like the way you eat is fundamentally determined by the fact that this shit is so expensive. I know, like this gets particularly the case in you know, the interior of Alaska, where just getting there is in and of itself expensive. But this has a big role to play.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Actually this is in the scrip, but in terms of Puerto Rico, part of the American industrialization of the archipelago, as well as the kind of the way that it was backed up by the local government, meant that we switched from a kind of agricultural society to an industrial one, and we went from growing a ton of our own food to only growing about between ten to twenty percent of it, which back then was like very good because there was a boom time for the Puerto Rican economy, but kind of now it means that everything is incredibly expensive because it has to come from all over the world, get moved onto a US flagship in the contiguous forty eight states, then come back here. Right.
Speaker 3: It places you not only like at a place where you're like already paying more, but also the whim of shipping costs, oil prices, right, these things that we're all seeing and go up right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely part of those costs have been assuaged recently because of the waivers, But there is a very big contingent of people in Puerto Rico who are really dreading the moment those waivers stop because things are going to get really expensive again. And they're still expensive, but they're going to get even more expensive, right, yeah, yeah, So at this point, if you've been listening closely, you'll notice that there's a pretty glaring emission in what I've covered so far. Alaska and Hawaii, he only oversees US territories to become states, have gone almost completely unmentioned. I purposefully left them out because they overcomplicated the whole history, and it was easier to put them at the end than in the middle. So Alaska was bought from Imperial Russia in eighteen fifty six for seven point two million, and Hawaii was annexed in eighteen ninety eight after US businessmen and marines did a bloodless cue against the Kingdom of Hawaii and it's then queen. They eventually became the forty ninth and fifty estate in the middle of the twentieth century, and the kind of annexation of Alaska and Hawaii is the thread that's been running throughout these two podcast episodes right in terms of Alaska its resource extraction. By buying Alaska, they got access to miles and miles of pristine nature that had in it gold, fur and oil. In Hawaii, they received a strategic foothold in the Pacific, which has become extremely important over the years, particularly at the time that it was annexed during the Spanish American War, where the US military had to use it as a launch pad essentially for its war in the Philippines and Guam. According to How to Hide an Empire and an article in The Conversation titled Why Russia gave up Alaska, America's gateway to the Arctic by William L. E. Yagruhinsley, the purchase of Alaska brought with it a cornucopia of natural resources, including gold, fur, and oil. That could be mined from this new territory, as well as nearly four hundred million pristine acres of New Land, with a comparably small addition to the US's majority white racial calculus. And this is a very important thing. The United States has never really added territories at this point that would significantly for off the amount of white Anglo Saxon people that inherit it. Right, And I'm thinking of choosing to incorporate Oklahoma instead of the indigenous state of Sequoia because of how it would affect the amount of white people in the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the way that it would affect the representation in Congress too, right, like specifically partitioning states off in such a way that they don't tend to give people who are not white representation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. Meanwhile, Hawaii, with a much more multicultural population, was a four year issue, but the US decided to make them a state anyway because it helped them reach Pacific markets and because it provided an important geopolitical strategic interest during the Cold War. Hawaii was made into a state because of the Spanish American War, but it was annexed, not made into a state. A claratory note there right. Yeah, I'm severely flattening history here, but that's the gist of how they became states. And dear listener, you might be asking what makes them different from Puerto Rico and the rest of the colonies. The key difference is that Alaska and Hawaii where both quote unquote incorporated territories. Meanwhile, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are quote unquote unincorporated territories. If that distinction means nothing to you and it sounds kind of racist, welcome to the club. This distinction was created in nineteen oh one by a series of racist Supreme Court decisions called the Insular Cases. A critical part of the Insular Cases created the doctrine of incorporation that governs non contiguous territories, as well as created the idea of incorporation versus unincorporation, creating the legal framework saying that the Constitution does not fully apply to the unincorporated territories. Downsvie Bidwell was the most important case here because it created the term unincorporated territory to describe Puerto Rico's legal status. Shortly after it had been acquired. The case created the distinction that some territories were unincorporated and others were incorporated, like Alaska and Hawaii, which were integral parts of the US and thus bound for statehood. However, unincorporated territories like Puerto Rico and Guam were not on that patht statehood, and they were a pertinent to the United States. The same word the US used for the islands it claimed under the Guano Islands Act. We were and this is a quote foreign in a domestic sense.
Speaker 3: What an amazing legal fucking term to come up with, right yeah, great.
Speaker 2: Had It's like very incredible because all of this is like a legal fiction applied right, like literally right yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a bunch of people dancing around saying long words to be like definitally not a colony, dude, No, absolutely not, no way, like totally different, broke, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: The US would never have colonies. They are just foreign in a domestic sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another case, the line of e. Bidwell, was decided on the exact same day it explained that Puerto Rico belonged to the US. I'm simplifying the explanation here, but when you mix it with Downs and other cases over the years, you get the phrase that we know all too well owned but not part of. To drive the point home, I want a paraphrase from Amy Kaplan's The Anarchy of Empire. The Insular Cases put Puerto Rico and other colonies in a liminal space, both inside and outside of the boundaries of the Constitution, relegating the people who live there to a permanent state of limbo, neither fully citizens nor completely foreign. The Insular Cases cemented the imperial mode of governance so thoroughly that many Americans would not even consider their home country to be an empire. These colonies remain in limbo to this day, likely never going to be made states, yet equally as likely to never become independent. This ideological and legal framework has extended past the colonies, the most salient example being Guantanamo Bay, a colonial holdover from US occupation in Cuba. Per Kaplan in her essay where is Guantanamo Bay? Court decisions built on top of the Insular Cases recognize the base as domestic for some purposes and foreign for others, thus facilitating the quote global reach of US power by creating a shadowy hybrid legal system co extensive with the changing needs of empire. Yeah, there have been several attempts to overturn the Insular cases, but they remain case law. These cases that describe the people of Puerto Rico and other US colonies as quote, alien races and savage tribes, remain the way that the United States views its overseas possess. The last challenge to the Insular Cases came in twenty eighteen in a case titled Fittsimano versus United States, where free non citizen nationals from American Samoa challenged the US government's denial to extend it to them birthright citizenship. A Utah Federal District court right not an American Samoan court. A Utah Federal District Court declared that American Samoans were citizens of the United States and deserve birthright citizenship, but the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the decision, citing the Insular cases. And in this process there is kind of a very specific othering of people of the colonies. Right. You don't get to go to your local court and show them, hey, I want to be a part of this part of this nation, which is what they wanted. Right, you have to go to Utah to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals and be like, hey, I want you to recognize my constitutional rights.
Speaker 3: That has now got me wondering what circuit they're in, Like, do they fall into a federal circuit? No, it doesn't have a federal court apparently.
Speaker 2: No, because part of the reason that American Samoa is so different from the rest of the colonies, right, is that the indigenous population there has kind of wanted to keep them separately and right, there's varying opinions on this right, which is why we saw that challenge to the insular cases. During that challenge, the country or the government of American Samoa, they were pro insular cases, being like, hey, we want to continue to this to be case law because it wouldn't challenge certain laws that they have in the books that people with certain amounts of American Samoan ancestry can buy land and those without it can't buy land there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so they didn't want to get equal protection or something under the equal protection caused a constitution. They felt like it was a net pause do for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, but like obviously this has changed through time, I should say, right, because right, Yeah, for some it means that they can stop gentrification and further colonization of their their island, but it also means that their people face significant challenges if they choose to travel outside of American Samoa, which based on how the US economy works, usually means that a significant portion of that population has to leave in order to find employment.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. It's a yeah. I think of like how like Marshallese people, they're not US citizens, but they can travel to the US without a visa and reside and work in the US of visa. But like if they join the military, they can join the US military. But then if they want to access their VA benefits, they have to go to Hawaii, like across like a It's a several hour flight, like it's several days on a boat. Right, So then like obviously not all of the you know, the services that they might need medically available on Marjorro, so that they have to they have to take that journey just to access to benefits that, like in theory, are owed to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not exactly the same situation here in Puerto Rico, but the VA benefits system here is not that great compared to the contiguous United States, which in and of itself is also not that great from what I've read and people have told me, yes, yeah, but there's only one hospital here in several clinics. Yeah, so you if you live far far away from the hospital, you have to travel to that to get vacare. And that that's like one of the many, many things where the US colonies are forgotten and left by the wayside in terms of these these things that the US government should ostensibly provide for its citizens and the people under its dominion. Right, Yeah, So, the insular cases essentially said that people in the US colonies were owned but not part of the United States. That meant that we had to be given American citizenship if we got it or not the case of American Samoa through federal statute. This is different than people born in the contiguous United States or Alaska and Hawaii, where they get birth right citizenship through the constitution. Because the Constitution doesn't fully apply to us, we had to get it for a federal statute.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: This means that it would be pretty easy to take away birth right citizenship in the colonies compared to taking away birth right citizenship throughout the entire US. This is something that Virginia Congressman Morgan Griffith wants to do. Griffith presented a law to eliminate birth rights citizenship in the US colonies, saying that it was the only thing that the US could do to protect American citizenship, and because our American citizenship is free statute several laws forout history. In Puerto Rico's it was in nineteen seventeen then codified by the American Nationality Act, he could do it if the law passed Congress. In Congress shows to eliminate birthright citizenship here, his press release specifically cited the insular cases as giving Congress the power to take it away. However, to be clear, it's very unlikely that this bill will even make it to a vote, much less become law. But through this kind of fret to take away birthright citizenship, we see how the US still has kind of extremely direct control over its colonies. Yeah, you know, as I hope I have evidence throughout this episode. The American colonies, the current American colonies, not the thirteen colonies right, have always been laboratories for the American experiment right in terms of surveillance, in terms of military occupation. And here with this this bill that again won't even probably won't even make it to a vote, we are seeing the Republican administration trying to experiment with how they can take away birth rights citizenship, which they failed to do through Trump's executive order, but they are trying to see how they can ram it through to take it away from people. And recently we saw Trump sign an executive order to do a similar thing to ostensibly address quote unquote BIRF tourism, a thing that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it's an infintesimally small number of people.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The thing that I want to express is that the US colonies have always been laboratories of empire. What happens here doesn't stay here, And contrary to the way that many people think the US and other empire is to be clear, doesn't just exert power, ideology, and movements outwards. Instead, it is in a continuous feedback with its colonies that have shaped what happens in the imperial core the same way that it has shaped what happens in the imperial periphery. And I want to end this episode by talking about how Trump has signaled several times towards US territorial expansion. He has made moves or said that he wants to annex Canada, Venezuela, Cuba, the Gaza Strip, Mexico, and Greenland, among others. And as I mentioned in the last episode, he's been obsessed with Greenland for a hot minute, even reportedly saying that he wanted to trade it for Puerto Rico, which was then ravaged by Hurricane Maria. According to NBC, his most recent signal was posting a picture of Venezuela with the American flag on it, essentially saying that he wants to make it the fifty first state. To be clear, there are several other places that he could do that in, but he is projecting this idea of the fifty first state as a way of kind of colonial capture. Right right. By promising to bring liberty and freedom to Venezuelans, he is saying we will make you equal, even though he has forgotten a bunch of equal rights for four million people in the US colonies. And while a lot of Trump's rhetoric about territorial expansion of the United States has been brushed off as the mad ramblings of a despot without any real power to do so. He did genuinely kidnap Nicholas Maduro and has kind of made the country into a vasal state of the US. Right, Yeah, and I learned that this is called a suserain. A souserain is a political leader that expresses power over a separate sovereign entity.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, with it it in like an informal fashion like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, While the lines aren't quite clear enough right now, it's become increasingly evident that the US is exerting more than simple influence in Venezuela, making it into a US protectorate in all but name. And to be honest, in my opinion, the US would never add another state to the Union, particularly one that would add twenty eight point six million LATINX people to the nation's demographics. However, as I hope I have evidence throughout the episode, the American Empire has various forms of exerting its colonial influence throughout the region and the world. Right, it doesn't necessarily have to become a state to become owned by the United States, as Puerto Rico, Guam, and several other colonies. Within its treatment of its colonies and the insular cases, the US has established a separate ideological and legal framework to treat those people and peaces of land that it wants to own and occupy, but not incorporate Carlos from the future here. A couple days after we recorded this episode, Trump announced that he already considered the Strait of Horror meus quote unquote American territory. This was reported by several news outlets, including The Guardian, which is where I read it originally. While it seems pretty obvious that the US government has no way of actually establish control over the Strait because it's on the losing side of the war, the overture towards taking it over is an attempt to establish a new sphere of US hegemony in the region. Imperialism is a business enterprise, and much like the conquest of the Guano Islands and the inhabited colonies meant access to new resources and military footholds, US control of the Strait, which again very unlikely, would be an incredible boon for the US economy. The most comparable thing here would be the Panama Canal. Control of the canal helped the US become a major global power because it controlled shipping in the region. The US government likely wants to do something similar with the Strait of Horror Moves, a major maritime passage for all types of things that make the economy move. While the thread against the Strait is the newest and the long line of frets Stantic's new territory to the US, we should normalize them. Through its colonies in the insular cases, as well as decades of colonialism and imperialism, the US is built the apparatus to expand its empire to people and places beyond its borders. While it's unlikely, we shouldn't write it off completely, especially as a Trump administration continues to signal that it wants to regain domination over the Western hemisphere and other parts of the world.
Speaker 3: If I'd like to read more of your work, where can they find you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm at PAKERO to XL on social media. It's v a q u e r O two x L. I'm a freelancer, so I've written for a bunch of places. My most recent work has been a series of short documentaries about different immigrant populations in Puerto Rico, the Dominican population, the Chinese population, and the Palestinian population. The Palestinian one came out a little less than a month ago, and that's pretty much where you can find me. Thanks nice for accompanying me on this colonial journey, James.
Speaker 3: That's what I do. But yeah, thank you for explaining that. I feel like it's really good to have these things well wrapped up in a way people can understand, like that.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.