Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that.
Speaker 2: Put a new spin on pretty this is pretty smart.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to find out how one woman turned a cold LinkedIn message and coffee meeting into six hundred thousand dollars in revenue, and how you can do it too, just by networking. But before we get into the interview, I want to share a little bit. So I really wanted to cover this topic because I think it's integral to success and I want us to succeed, and also because I think we've gotten networking all wrong. When someone says that word, the first thing that comes to my mind is a bunch of people with name tags at a Hyatt with Paisley Green carpet, drinking bad coffee and shaking hands. And then I heard Mark Cuban talk about networking and he said, people think it's about selling, but really it's about helping. And that reframe, that's what it's all about. What if instead of concerning ourselves with what we can get from somebody, we ask ourselves what we can give. I'll tell you a little bit about my own experience with networking. I've always been a people person. After I got my first job in TV and got kind of like a baseline understanding of how things worked, I promised myself to always make it about the people, the people I worked with, the people I covered, the people watching at home, and when I think back on my career, the essential ingredient has always been people relationships. When I first moved to LA from Chicago, I would cold email people for coffee meetings.
Speaker 2: I spent any extra time I.
Speaker 1: Had finding people on LinkedIn, and honestly, I even stood outside of an executive's office with coffee and doughnuts for three mornings in a row to get a meeting with him. One time, I just wanted a foot in the door. I looked at all of the people I considered successful. I saw that absolutely no one successfully does anything alone. But if you don't want to stand outside of a building with coffee and donuts, how do you meet people? How do you get to know people? What do you send in a proper cold email to connect? How do you quote unquote network authentically. The first thing is to abolish that word, because it definitely gives convention vibes. I think we should rebrand it as relationship building, because that's what it truly is.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to call on one.
Speaker 1: Of the best relationship builders that I know, a twenty year vet in public relations, Rachel Gilman. Rischel is the founder of three PR. She works with huge national brands and clients. She's an expert communicator with an innate passion for finding, crafting, and sharing compelling stories. I went to write about her and I saw that one of her former clients wrote something that I think just captures her perfectly. Emily, a CEO, says, Rachel is a force. Not only is she extremely talented, her pitches could win Pulletzer prizes and the most connected person I know she has somehow one degree away from everyone, but she's also unbelievably loyal and dedicated.
Speaker 2: When Rachel works with a client, she's all in.
Speaker 1: She becomes personally invested in your brand and it shows through her constant hustle and celebration of your wins as her own. Rachel knows how to form strong, valuable, long lasting relationships. She's so generous. So today is a masterclass in networking. Excuse me, let me try that again. Today is a masterclass in relationship building, though, Rachel pr is all about relationships. Your job is quite literally to ask people for things all of the time, and I've never seen anybody do it better with more grace and kindness than you. But you say that people have the idea of networking all wrong.
Speaker 2: So what do you mean.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, thank you. You're so kind, and I think that true. Everything that you just said really warms my heart, so I appreciate it. But I think people unintentionally view relationships very transactionally. People get caught up in the moment and they think what can this person do for me? And then they believe it's a one off transaction and then they can move on. And I really have a completely different mindset about it. I think about relationships as endless possibilities and I really like to hold on to people. I was thinking about this idea of having a really expansive mindset about relationships and the Hotel California, like, once you come in, you can never leave. Oh I like that somebody that I really like or I feel connected to, or I respect you, or we have worked together, well, you are forever in my hotel relationships and you will always have a place there. I really like to ensure that I don't work with people in the way that one thing is done and we've moved on and.
Speaker 4: The door closes.
Speaker 3: I really like to see how they can come back to each other over and over again and it can be mutually beneficial.
Speaker 1: Well, you also are such a big giver. I've always tried to be a giver too. I think Adam Grant sort of has this theory where he talks about going first, whether you're in a meeting or saying hello first, even on a sidewalk. But people get so caught up, I think in not wanting to give ideas a way. I was actually at a brainstorm the other day and someone said I haven't launched my project because I'm trademarking the idea. And all I could think in my head was what a waste of time? Because like, you can't like somebody's always going to be doing things. You can't feel so proprietary over your information, your ideas.
Speaker 2: You just have to move and go.
Speaker 1: And so you are the queen of giving, giving, giving, even if you know that nothing could be in return for you in the near or or long long future.
Speaker 2: Where does that come from?
Speaker 3: I think I should probably credit my mom because she's one of the most emotionally generous people I know. But I think over time, I've realized that you might not get something back from somebody that you help, and that's okay, but I believe in the scales of life and business you will. So if you continually operate with the mindset of I'm going to be generous with my time, my referrals, my expertise, invariably it will come around and you too will be the benefactor of somebody else's generosity. So I think we're all playing as part of this game. But it only works if you're a generous player. And when I was launching my career and I had nothing to bring to the table except a lot of questions, people were very kind to me to have lunches and coffees and resume feedback, and I soaked it all up and I hope I was gracious, But to be honest, I'm sure at certain points I fail to say thank you, or I didn't really close the loop. Well because I was twenty two and new to everything, But now sitting almost twenty years later in my career, I feel really morally obligated to pay it forward and help people. And I was thinking of two silly examples recently. But this past summer, I was on the plaza of the Today Show for a family trip, and we were getting this really cool experience of being on the plaza and hearing a concert. And I watched this girl who was a page for the Today Show make the rounds, and she was doing their social media and taking pictures and grabbing content, and I just remembered being a twenty two year old intern, and so I started talking to her and asking her questions, and she was sharing that she's really happy to be there. She hopes she gets hired full time. She's not sure what's going to happen. Intern salary doesn't go very far in New York. And I said, I know, I just met you, but if you ever want to reach out and talk about your career, I love helping young women. I feel really invested in helping people move ahead. I have a lot of friends in the business. So here's my email address, and to her credit, she did email me, and then we did a session working on her resume and taking all this great experience she had had already but just reframing it to be a little bit more impact fault. And then we stayed in touch and she told me about her interview process and what she was hoping would happen.
Speaker 4: And now she's staffing the green room at the Today Shows.
Speaker 3: She gets to work with all the talent that comes in and all of the anchors, and she's so thoughtful and thankful, and it makes me just like beam to know that she's on this track. Maybe in ten years she will be a big somebody at the Today Show and I will be able to ask for some sort of favor, but maybe not, and that's okay. I just feel like I did a good deed and that can be where it sits. I also just found out the other day that my high school mentor's friend's granddaughter got her first PR job because of an intro I made, and that's like as many degrees as you can go. But I'm so thrilled because your first PR job really sets the temple for the rest of your career. And I know she's going to be in great hands, and I hope that in five, ten, fifteen years I get to hear about her thriving. So I do that because I feel like it's the right thing to do, but people continually do it for me, so it all works out.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way.
Speaker 1: There's the kind of a rise in especially with gen Z. I hear it a lot with being paid for your time, and I still don't know how I feel about this. I think a lot of people would say nowadays, you have such an expertise twenty years in the business that someone could call you and you could charge them for thirty minutes of your time.
Speaker 2: I've never felt right about that.
Speaker 1: I feel like you and I are on the same page, not that if somebody does that it's wrong. I just again like, don't feel like the scales work that way. Do you have any sort of thoughts on that. Have you heard young people talk about this concept.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I've heard my peers talk about it.
Speaker 3: And I also feel a little bit of this dilemma about it because I'm a huge advocate for knowing your worth and being able to have sometimes an uncomfortable conversation and say, actually, this is my fee, or if you want me to do this, here's my rate. And I've worked very hard to get over the uncomfortable hurdle of telling people there's a cost attached. Right that being said, As I mentioned, I really believe in emotional generosity and trying to pay it forward. So I think I try to evaluate each opportunity based on intent. So if this is someone who's in college or newly out of college, there's a strong connection between us. I'm doing a favor for someone in my parents' network or whatnot, I'm not going to charge them for it. But if somebody's coming to me and they're bringing this expectation that I owe them some information, or that I should feel fortunate to have their time, or there's something going on where they want to extract something from me, but I don't feel like the intent behind it is great or for them it really is a true transaction. I am more prone to say here's an hourly rate, or to look for a way to balance the scales a little bit, because at the end of the conversation they might feel wonderful, but I don't want to feel taken advantage of.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting, So let's talk about that word transactional, because you say that a short term approach like that actually can hold you back in some ways.
Speaker 3: Oh, I fully agree, and I see people do it all the time. I'm amazed when I will connect with somebody and I will end by saying, and I mean this genuinely, Hey, keep in touch, like if you have any questions, I'm happy to help you in the future. I'm happy to look at materials. I'm happy to make introductions. I do this constantly when someone comes to me through a referral, and over and over again, people will not continue the relationship. They will just drop off entirely, and I think, what a loss. We never know what could transpire. On the flip side, I find it so impressive when people hold on for the long haul. My brother calls it staying power. I love those relationships. And let me give you a special example. I had a client who had a recommendation for me. She said, I know somebody really incredible that I think you should meet. And I trust that when a client or somebody I really look up to says you should meet someone, that's a lead that I want to follow.
Speaker 2: I know where this story is going, Rachel.
Speaker 4: I was trying to sneak it by you, but that was you.
Speaker 3: You and I are a case study for a one time introduction. You and I have met one singular time for drinks.
Speaker 1: So Jenny Petinkin when I did a show in Chicago. Jenny Patinkin is a beauty expert. She has her own line of beauty products. But anyways, she was your client at one point, and I loved her, and she had us all have drinks, the three of us, and then you and I probably stay in touch more than she and I do.
Speaker 3: I actually just saw Jenny for coffee last week and I said, oh, I'll give you a shout out for this amazing connection. But no, Jenny's wonderful, as are her beauty products. But she was kind of insistent, like, you have to meet Danielle. I really think you guys would click. And so I try to listen to those suggestions.
Speaker 4: If somebody says you have.
Speaker 3: To meet this person, I think there's usually a deeper reason. And Sun Up, I met you, and I felt really at home with your energy. I really liked you as a person. I thought we were really smart and articulate and interesting. And you didn't let go and I didn't let go. And so four years later, you've become a very.
Speaker 4: Important to me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think part of nurturing these relationships, especially with new ones, is finding natural ways to reach out. I think that is actually a big struggle for people.
Speaker 2: It induces a little bit of social anxiety.
Speaker 1: How have you found natural ways to reach out and sort of extend a hand when you meet somebody new.
Speaker 3: In a professional sense, or when I'm trying to continue a friendship, No.
Speaker 2: In a professional sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of professional relationships turn into friendships, like I think ours has turned into a friendship, but it started professionally. One of the things I do is I'll send people articles that I think are relevant to their life if it makes I read the article and it makes me think of them, or I think it would be a value to them and it's just a quick email. Are there things that you do that you think feel natural?
Speaker 3: I like what you're doing. I think that makes sense. I try to become a genuine fan if that makes sense. So if they oftentimes i'm working with journalists, if they wrote something that I thought was really interesting or impactful, I'm going to send them a note and genuinely complement it, and I'm not going to ask for anything in rerich I'm not pitching them. I just thought this was a wonderful article. I really liked X, Y and Z about it. Hope you're doing well. I try to stay apprized of what's happening and in the least creepy way possible.
Speaker 4: Have these touch points.
Speaker 3: Somebody got promoted, you see it on LinkedIn, they make some major announcement, you comment upon it, you think of an introduction that would be beneficial to them.
Speaker 2: So ooh, that's a big one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So actually Ari Emanuel from WMME is famous for this. He always makes intros before anybody asks. So he'll randomly send emails and say, Jessica and John, I think you guys should meet bah blah blahlah blah, and like he'll just it's a quick, short email, and I think he sends them out every week.
Speaker 2: He'll do a few of them.
Speaker 1: And that's a big one because you're really adding value to somebody's life that way.
Speaker 3: I think if you're him, you can just do that without requesting the other person's permission. But I look like from my universe, I usually double check that people are.
Speaker 4: Up for an intro.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: But I think it is an incredible gift when you can say, yeah, the xually why you should meet and here's here's what could come of it. So I have a lot of freelance writer friends. I certainly pitch them for my job, but I also know that their livelihood depends on connecting to other editors who can hire them. So I'm always looking for ways to introduce people where they can get more work. And it's like, if you think about like as a bank account, I'm always trying to make deposits so that I'm showing up for somebody else, not asking for something, maybe not asking for a while, but just demonstrating that I care about their well being.
Speaker 4: I'm interested in them as a person.
Speaker 3: I want to see them thrive, and I think over time, it develops a great, healthy professional relationship where you can go back and forth and it stops feeling transactional and it starts feeling like a thriving, mutually collaborative relationship.
Speaker 2: So I love visuals.
Speaker 1: I know you mentioned the Hotel California, but you've said that you picture relationships as a book.
Speaker 4: You know my language. I like to think about things in concrete terms.
Speaker 3: So if you envision your relationships as a book, think about all the chapters you're flipping through and all the stories within that book. And you always want to ensure you're ending a chapter on a great note too. I really think it's wonderful to close out a chapter, whether you're working together on a project, you are launching something together, end that on a great note.
Speaker 4: I try to always wrap up with a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you note so that the next time I connect with somebody, our last correspondence was gratitude and me being gracious.
Speaker 2: So that's really nice.
Speaker 3: Literally just in touch with the Wall Street Journal doing a fact check right before this. She said, the story's running on Monday, So on my calendar for Monday, read the story, send her a thoughtful note, let her know much appreciate it, And then, of course I'm going to ask her if she'll have coffee with me. She could say no, she might say, like, stories done, what do I need Rachel for? But she might say, hey, this one pretty smoothly. Maybe Rachel has other ideas for me. I'm willing to foster a relationship as well. So gratitude, and then if you can try to make an ask so that you have another chapter to write together.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you mean? Make an ask so that like.
Speaker 3: Could we meet for coffee? Could I other ideas your way. Is there another way that I can help you? I think we could close it out and just say, oh, that was a great story. I really appreciate it, thank you so much. My client's thrilled. But I want to ensure that that's not the end of our story, and so I will probably look for a way that we can develop further. Even if she says I can't meet for coffee, I might say, I'd love to send you more ideas.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I think I've seen you do so well is the opposite of how can I help you? Because it's that is such a nice sentiment, and I would love if somebody emailed me how can I help you? But also you're so much more proactive than that. You send like really specific detailed ideas thoughts like hey, have you thought of having this person on your podcast?
Speaker 2: Or have you seen this brand?
Speaker 1: Or it's honestly general with creativity and ideas, and.
Speaker 2: I think that is so helpful.
Speaker 1: I know you and I were talking about the cold email and being specific like that is exactly how I actually got started. In LA's I would cold email people. I didn't want the email to go to junk mails, so I would research them, and I'd say, hey, Brandon, I saw you were a political science major. I was too, And then I'd go into a specific ask and I thought they were much more apt to or much more open to meeting or speaking on the phone.
Speaker 2: So what do you do when you cold email people?
Speaker 3: We share this passion for the cold email. I think for a lot of people they break out in hives and cannot stand the idea of having to email someone they don't know with a request. But I've spent twenty years sending emails nobody wants and gotten very comfortable with no response, a no, or sometimes incredible things happening. I mean, I got all the way into Oprah's Favorite Things from cold email, and I'm still texting with Gil King a year and a half later. I mean, there are some really life changing, career shifting things that can happen from sending the email that you're nervous to send.
Speaker 4: And I can give you so many examples of that.
Speaker 2: Do you have a few more that are top of mind?
Speaker 3: So here's one that blends I think positive intent with the cold email. When I was very new to starting my own business. So this is a little over five five years ago, actually, a little over five years ago, a friend of mine, a really talented friend of mine, Emily, was like, Hey, Rachel, I'd like to work at this company called Farmer's Fridge and they have this opening, but I don't know anybody there. Could you help me find a connection? And I love the challenge, like if somebody's like, can you find a connection to this, like, let's go. I love finding ways to make the world smaller. So I jump on LinkedIn and I see that this guy named Jonathan is a consultant for Farmers Fridge.
Speaker 4: And I know who Jonathan is because he.
Speaker 3: Was a huge deal at this ad agency I used to work at when I was just out of college, and he was like at the top of the heap, so he never knew me.
Speaker 4: We never overlapped. He was just a big name.
Speaker 3: So I sent him a cold email on LinkedIn, which is like, even worse, who wants a cold LinkedIn email? I was really starting from a struggle place, but I decided to do it anyways because I.
Speaker 4: Adored Emily and I wanted to be helpful.
Speaker 3: So my email essentially said, Hi, Jonathan, I'm reaching out of behalf of a friend of mine. She would love to apply for this job at Farmer's Fridge. Resumes travel so much further when someone connected to the company is involved. I wondered if you'd be kind enough to share her resume as a small world moment. We both worked at this agency together. I've heard your name for years. It's great to connect, so I always believe short, sweet, make a connection and have a clear ask what do you want from this person?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Also, even though I'm not always into LinkedIn email, at least somebody can look you up easily and realize you're not nuts. You have some shared background, and when someone can imbue personality in a short old email, yeah, just like a round of applause for that person.
Speaker 4: It's not easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you email on LinkedIn and then what happens? Does he send Emily's resume.
Speaker 3: Jonathan, to his credit, writes me back, very gracious, very nice, happy to send the resume along fully get it and that could have been it, right, That would be a normal transaction, right. But I do what I do, which is, let's write another chapter. Let's see what happened. So I just said, I've heard so much about you over the years. I would really love to meet sometime, just let me know if you're up for coffee, and he said yes, So we go to coffee and now, if nothing else, I'm just happy because he's a great storyteller and it's fun to hear about his years at this agency, and I'm just enjoying his company. But then he said, a La, Jenny Pittinkin, you know who you should really meet. You really should meet Farmer's Fridge yourself. I think you'd hit it off with SHANEA she I think at the time was like the head of girl. She's brilliant, she's wonderful, YadA YadA. I think you'd like each other. So I followed that introduction and Farmer's Fridge is now my longest running client. We're going to hit the five year mark in January. Wow, completely changed my business. That Jonathan put me in touch with Farmer's Fridge. Shana has become a very close friend of mine who has since referred me to two other clients. So because of her, I'm at Io Foods, and because of her, I represent Siete Foods, which is an incredible company.
Speaker 1: Wait, so, because you went out of your way to help a random woman named Emily, who you weren't even that close.
Speaker 4: With Emily was a good friend, but I.
Speaker 1: Went out of your way to help her. You had ended up serving your business tenfold.
Speaker 3: I actually tried to tally up the financial benefit of the singular coffee. I mean, this was over a six hundred thousand dollars coffee.
Speaker 2: That is so wid.
Speaker 3: Jonathan, I will be taking you out to dinner suit. I've sent Jonathan number of thank yous, but it was and I've also sent Shana a number of thank yous, and they're both such wonderful people. I just think this is a case study, and a very pleasant case study of Emily asked me a favor, and I adore Emily, so I tried to do something I wasn't sure I could do, which was to find a connection for her to Farmer's Bridge. They didn't even end up hiring her. She found another job, like she went a whole different direction. But they hired me, and they hired me for a six week project.
Speaker 4: Six weeks was.
Speaker 3: Our first contract. I just double checked, and now five years later, I'm still working with them. And then because of Shanea, she ended up being this bridge to these other amazing food companies that has since expanded my client portfolio. So if there was no Emily, then there was no Jonathan, no Jonathan, no Shana, no Shana, no Siete.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is incredible. I want to back up a little bit. For people who.
Speaker 1: Are looking for a change in profession, some sort of transition, they don't really have a lot of insight in the field they want.
Speaker 2: To be in.
Speaker 1: They're looking, they reach out to someone on LinkedIn that hasn't responded. What should they do?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: I think the magic is in the follow up. Don't follow up a million times, But I think people give up far too soon. How many times have you gotten a note from somebody and you think, oh, I'll get back to them soon, and then you forget. I mean, I really don't think anybody can handle the flood of communication. So a lot of times an initial note gets lost, not because the person's blowing you off, not because they're uninterested, but just because they have a full time job and a family and friends and other things, and you are a voice out there that they haven't even really experienced yet.
Speaker 2: The first thing is to not take it personally, right.
Speaker 3: I am as sensitive or more as the next person. You really, I work in a field where rejection is continual, and I don't take it personally. Nobody says Rachel, I actively dislike you, so not responding to your email, they might say this is a shitty pitch and I'm not interested.
Speaker 4: More likely they're just not going to email me back.
Speaker 3: But when I said I had this Wall Street Journal situation today, I sent this writer cold email. I didn't know her, I just knew her work, and so I said, Hi, I've been tracking your great stories. I want to introduce you to this client I work with. It's called a wild Rice Retreat. It's a beautiful resort. Here's all the information. If I can help you, I'm here. Nothing happens, which is normal. A lot of times people do not respond to a first email, especially if they don't know you, especially if they don't need you at that moment. But six weeks later, she's writing a story for the Wall Street Journal and she wants to interview my client the next day.
Speaker 2: And now, how long do you wait to follow up?
Speaker 3: So here's my big tactical trick. I'm getting in the weeds here. I've learned, probably slower than everybody else, about how you can set Gmail reminders, so the email will come back to the top of your inbox. So I will email somebody blind copy myself, set the timer on it, and I'm if it's urgent, maybe three days. If it's not, maybe I'll give it somewhere like ten to fourteen days, and then I'll come back up in my inbox and I'll be like, oh, yeah, I was going to write this person again. And when you follow up, don't be an asshole about it. You would never say I haven't heard back from you, or it's been a while. You might say that hope things are going well, or I saw that this thing happened. Because you're paying attention to their work, their LinkedIn theirs social accounts. Maybe you have a new angle or a new piece of information you're going to share and that's the reason you're checking back in. Or I'll just get really self deprecating and be like, I'm so sorry to bother you promised last follow up note. Would love to hear if you're interested, and just be a little human about it, like maybe it's not a fit, maybe it is. Oftentimes people will literally say to me, thanks for checking back.
Speaker 4: I forgot about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate when people check backs. You know, my mom was in sales when I was growing up. She sold mortgages, and she came home from like some convention she had to go to one time, and she told me that what she learned that day, and I've never forgotten it. It's that people don't recognize a name until the seventh or eighth time they see it.
Speaker 2: So I always think, like a billboard or.
Speaker 1: Or an email or any of that, like you just your brain needs so much repetition, not that you should follow up sevent eight times.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to know.
Speaker 1: It made me feel like, Okay, I don't take it personally if somebody doesn't reply to me.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think there can be an ecosystem approach if you're trying to break through to a new contact, as in like you've emailed them and then you've added them on LinkedIn, and then perhaps you're not following them on Instagram, and then maybe you notice you have people in common on Facebook, and so you're coming at it from different touch points. I have mixed feelings.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I think.
Speaker 3: It's really effective because you do get name recognition and you do show that there's a way that you're linked.
Speaker 4: However, you don't want to hound anybody, and yeah.
Speaker 2: It's I think it's a little march.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I found that's worked with writers is to.
Speaker 2: Reach out and then I just let it sit.
Speaker 1: Like if I become friends with them on Instagram for a year, I follow, you know, I like their things, and I comment on something that I like that they've done, and then they see my name pop up and then there's recognition and it almost feels like it was I don't know, authentic organic.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to turn a question back to you.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes you'll meet somebody and you can have an innate sense that a relationship's really possible. You just have great energy between you. You just really feel like a great spark, and that makes more sense. Have you ever been able to foster a really great business relationship with somebody where you felt none of that off the bat?
Speaker 2: That's actually a great question. No.
Speaker 1: I don't lean into those relationships because I don't enjoy them, and so if there's not a connection or a warmth, I just move on because I think that there's somebody else that there will be that with. But I'm sure you have because you're able to puncture people, and it's one of your powers.
Speaker 3: I've never heard it phrase that way, but I appreciate it. Although I do agree with you ultimately, I think that I hope I'm a disarming person and I tried it to be warm and outgoing and have it come from a of being genuine. But I also struggle with people who I think are going back to the word transactional, maybe more transactional cold, aloof distant. You know, I don't really have a professional version of myself in a personal version, it's it's one and only in running my own business have I felt like I've been able to celebrate that unification and that at other places I worked, and when you're part of a company, you're not always rewarded for bringing your whole self. But for those people who I think are not particularly warm or welcoming or bring that energy forward, the relationships kind of stall out. I don't think it can go as far when someone's not meeting you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not fun, you know, Like I don't know, I don't even think of when I think of networking, I don't think of it as networking. I think of it as relationship building, because that's the key. Yes, Well, they're like genuinely like if I don't want to be your friend, I don't really want to like email you, you know, so it's like it's it's all or nothing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: Certain people click and certain people don't, and it is what it is. You had this great quote that you sent to me that I would love for you to elaborate on. You said, you're paraphrasing the RX bar founder Peter Rahal, is that how you pronounce ray Hall?
Speaker 2: Ray Hall?
Speaker 1: He was a former client of yours, and he said, if you ask influencers for love, they'll ask you for money. If you show influencers love, they'll do the same. So please elaborate on that.
Speaker 3: So obviously, Peter Rayhall done incredible things with building and selling our ex bar. But I thought this was an amazing insight and I think it goes to the core of human nature. If you ask people for things, they're going to want something back. You've immediately established the parameters of relationship that value.
Speaker 4: Needs to change hands.
Speaker 3: But if you just show up for people and do something kind or surprise them, or display some generosity of spirit, it's amazing what comes back.
Speaker 4: I mean, does this really beautifully.
Speaker 3: They send out really gorgeously curated, really fun packages to all sorts of people, and they don't ask for anything. They don't say if you're going to get this package, I expect these posts from you. I want approval on this. There's no expectation attached. It's a gift. But then lo and behold, people do post because I think they're really touched and it's really thoughtful and there's great intent behind it. So I try to practice a version of what Peter said, which is I want to show people love. I want to be generous, I want to be thoughtful. I once got called a fairy job mother, and it was like the best thing ever. I love the idea of connecting people with job opportunities, because what greater gifts than to give people the chance of employment. But I don't at the end of it say, oh, you only ten percent. I mean, there are referral structures for sharing new business. There are times when it makes sense to I think, have those parameters in place. But the most part, like it's okay to be radically generous. You might be surprised by what comes back to you.
Speaker 1: I really like that I've been thinking about that a lot, because that's just kind of like how I live my life. And sometimes I'm like, do people like take advantage? Should I like be thinking about this more so? And I did a lot of soul searching, and I realized, no, it's something that I like about myself, and so like, who cares if it doesn't come back in the same way, and maybe it does.
Speaker 2: Who knows? Is that how you feel you'd like that about yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm worried that I sound like I'm crazy altruistic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not the most generous person, and I don't want to frame as though like I never expect things back.
Speaker 4: Or you know.
Speaker 3: This is something I continually work on too, is the balance of giving and taking and making sure that the scales feel good, because if you are always giving, you're going to be empty.
Speaker 4: So I think it's a process.
Speaker 3: But I saw this advice someone gave about starting your mourning with one generous or kind gesture, like nothing major, but maybe it's an email intro or responding to somebody.
Speaker 4: Who had a question for you. Just if you do start your.
Speaker 3: Day on the note of I've given or I've tried to be beneficial to somebody else it does, I've realized change your feeling about the rest of the day and how you proceed. So my thought is, as you were questioning whether you were doing too much, is the gut check of how you feel like If you feel taken advantage of, or you feel depleted, or you feel unappreciated, then that's probably your clue that something's out of whack. But if you're getting back affirmation, feedback, genuine thank yous, then maybe it is worth it. I mean, my love language is, for sure, words of affirmation. So as long as somebody says thank you, I appreciate you, I'm done.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 1: In terms of gender, this gets really complicated. A lot of people in PR are women. True, it's an industry that is built on service, and we expect service out of women. I guess, like, how do you balance your generosity with making sure that people respect you as they would have?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm going to go backwards on this one because how I feel about it now has shifted when it's my own company. So in my late twenties, I worked for a small PR firm really tightened really wonderful people, but the top level was primarily male and everybody else was primarily female, which was industry norm. And I had a client who drove me crazy. I mean, this guy was awful, and it was really hard because I'm a people pleasing personality in a client service business dealing with a hyper aggressive male personality who would compliment me and then denigrate me, and so like I felt like an emotionally abusive boyfriend. It was not a great situation. And with a lens I have now like oh. But I went to my boss about it, who I'm still very close to today, right, and he's like, you need more of a backbone, you need to push back, And I thought about how uncomfortable I was doing that. It was really hard for me to create boundaries, to draw a line, to assert myself, to not let him bully me and walk all over me, because it was the combination of the nature of the business, which is making sure the client feels good, but also my own michigas, which is wrapped up in it of I want to be liked.
Speaker 4: I want to be liked more.
Speaker 3: Than I might want to be respected, And what my boss was trying to say is be respected. I'm giving you the permission slip, to tell him he's wrong or to say that's not the way to do it, and to assert yourself. And so over the years I've really called upon that advice of bring your backbone. There are times when it's great to get along with people, it's great to ensure that everybody feels good, it's copasetic. But there are also really important times, even in a service business, even with the gender disparity, to just be assertive.
Speaker 2: Do you think about your tone when you're assertive?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you have to often it ho from a different part of yourself to be assertive and stand up for yourself, and especially in the industry you're in.
Speaker 1: At the beginning, I had like a you know how Beyonce has Sasha Fearce, Like I had to tap into a different part of me. And then my mom says, you know, if you wear a mask long enough, it becomes your face. So you have to be careful because it's good and bad. But I think in a good way. I practice it long enough that it's now of me. But I still struggle. Sometimes it's hard.
Speaker 4: I will say, and I feel like I'm aging myself a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think becoming a parent and having the role of being in charge of other lives has really shifted my perspective on standing up for things that are important to me. Pushing back I mean raising my voice. I do that all the time now I'm constantly getting into it with children. But this idea of oh, I'm an adult, I can make informed decisions. I can stand my ground and say I'm okay with this or I'm not okay with this, I also feel like though yelling is lazy oftentimes and in business, incredibly unprofessional. I had a difficult situation recently that arose on a weekend, and it wasn't fraught in the sense that we were having high conflict. But it would have been easy for me to adopt the role of I'm right, you're wrong, and to sort of almost push back and be a little bit aggressive, like I'm the pr expert, I think this is what you should do. But I realized that what the moment called for was compassionate understanding. The person wasn't trying to be difficult. We were not meant to be on opposite sides of the issue. We needed to come together, acknowledge it felt uncomfortable, figure out a path, and move forward together, and I think sometimes with maturity you can recognize this is a moment to be assertive, or this is a moment to actually reach even deeper and be empathetic and try to figure out are we on different sides or do we just need to reframe this together.
Speaker 1: That's such a great point. So much of conflict really stems from miscommunication. So if you're able to like really tap into the other person's feelings, then that's a superpower.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Also defensiveness, we all have a knee jerk reaction of oh, you're saying this to me, I need to protect my ego in it. This doesn't feel good for me because now I feel like I'm being attacked or you're questioning my competency.
Speaker 4: But oftentimes you're right.
Speaker 3: It's just reframing it and somebody's like I'm uncomfortable or I don't feel prepared or I'm not sure about this, and instead of getting defensive, it's like, oh, I understand where you're coming from, Like let's let's get into that, Like let's talk it through.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. Sounds exciting, like yeah, let's see, let's let's.
Speaker 4: Get into your discomfort and really evaluate it. But we have a deadline of twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the spirit of sharing the love, we're going to do some rapid fire about things that you love.
Speaker 2: So is there a podcast that you love?
Speaker 3: So I love a lot of podcasts, and I feel like I have to name those, but then tell you my like new current thing. So I love SmartLess and we can do hard things and dear Founder because I think it celebrates really great stories of women running their businesses. But my new thing is I don't ask for podcasts recommendations. I ask for episode recommendation.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: I want people to give me their favorite interviews and then I can just go like hyper target the best content.
Speaker 2: There's just too many podcasts now, Yes.
Speaker 3: Like I love SmartLess, but I really mostly love the George Clooney episode.
Speaker 1: Well who doesn't love George Clooney? Okay, what do you feel most proud of right now?
Speaker 3: I went into it earlier, but I just feel proud that I had this client that was supposed to last a month and a half and then suddenly five years of a lapse. So the staying power, I mean, this is longer than I don't even think I dated anybody, but my husband even close to that. So this is a long relationship.
Speaker 1: It's just saying that your mom or dad always said to you growing up that plays in the back of your mind.
Speaker 3: Still my dad loves and it has spread throughout the entire family. You can open your mouth or you can open your wallet. You decide, and it's about don't understand.
Speaker 4: It's almost like speak up or pay up.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is somebody who negotiates everything, and things that like the shoes that are on sale at Dick's Worting Goods, are negotiable. But the idea is you can accept the terms that are given to you, or you can negotiate or try to see if there is some flexibility. Just know you're worth otherwise you're kind of stuck.
Speaker 4: Paying for it. I've never heard that one Bob Gilman classic.
Speaker 2: What's a movie that you watch when you're sad?
Speaker 3: So I'm a contagious crier, So anything like if you teared up right now, I would tear up. I hear people's emotions a little too much. But I love A League of their Own, not because it's an inherently sad movie, but the narrative arc is so beautiful. I love what happens, and the sister story always reduces me to tears.
Speaker 2: That's really sweet. Okay.
Speaker 1: Best life advice in four different categories. The best advice someone gave you about life.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I have an explicit piece of advice, but my dad is a very curious person, and I think what I've gleaned from watching him ask questions over my entire lifetime is that the better the questions you ask, the more interesting answers you'll receive, which is basically your whole ethos.
Speaker 2: You're on the right podcast for that one right now?
Speaker 3: Yes, and just he wants to know people, and so I think the life advice is like, be interested, ask people questions and care about what they say.
Speaker 2: Okay. Best advice about love?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, my mom said to view relationships as building blacks. In my twenties, I had so many bad relationships, so many breakups, so many heartbreaks, and I would just call her and I would be so devastated every time, like, oh, I just wasted all this time on another relationship that didn't pan out. And she said, think about them as building blacks. Every relationship you have gets you closer to that next level. So these are foundational experiences that will ladder up to something else. It's not time wasted, it's time that you learn.
Speaker 2: I love that. My best advice about friendships.
Speaker 3: There is a quote that has always stuck with me, which is no time is wasted that makes two people better friends. And so even though we can always get caught up in the hustle fostel and be like, oh, I don't have time for that phone call, I can't do that coffee, I can't make that dinner, I just always try to remember that the time I spend on friendship is an investment in a wonderful long term relationship, and it's never a waste.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. Okay, how about best advice on writing?
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is a later discovery, but I think being pretty vulnerable is important. I wrote this essay over COVID about my daughter and I and she asked me if I was beautiful, and I froze, and it was an unexpectedly triggering question about if I would use that word with myself and what that word means, and sort of like the journey to growing up and being a late bloomer. And I wrote this essay and it lives in the world, and I was like, I can't believe. I just bear to everything, like I really put my stuff out on the internet.
Speaker 4: And I learned that later.
Speaker 3: Or a couple of people that were like, why did Rachel share that? But the majority of what I got back that I tried to focus on instead was that really resonated with me. I really understand that. As a mother of a daughter, I am glad that you said that. I too struggled with growth efficiency and so I think writing is a journey and I'm very much on it. But I don't regret going to places that are really real and emotionally honest, because I think you have to take that risk to have the bigger award. And if I wrote something that was more pat or less real, I wouldn't be very proud of it. And if it makes someone a little uncomfortable that I shared a truth of mine, then they're probably emotionally stunted themselves.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love that. What's a book that you've read that changed your life?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is not going to be maybe everyone's cup of tea, but I am obsessed with the book that's called Spirited by Rebecca Rosen.
Speaker 4: She's a spiritual medium. I might have sent you this book. It's very it. You and I talk about mediums all the time.
Speaker 3: Now most people don't have a favorite medium I do. I actually have a roster of mediums I like to follow. I love the inexplicable, Like if we can't think about the bigger picture and why we're here and what we're doing, what's the fucking point? Like, obviously I could talk endlessly about the meaning of life and all these coincidences and these introductions.
Speaker 4: Like the older I.
Speaker 3: Get, the more I'm convinced that, like we don't know it all and we never will, but like just trust that maybe we're interconnected for reasons that are beyond our comprehension, and to be very egotistical to think that we have all the answers. So during COVID I went deep in Rebecca Rose in Land. Although I've been a fan forever and spirited even if you're not into a medium life, it's just a beautiful book. It just talks about love and kindness and family and the everlasting nature of connectedness between people. And she's so normal. She could be somebody in your or the mom at pickup. It's not as though like you're getting some strange character. I think she's pretty phenomenal. So spirited is my book recommendation. I send it always. I see the deck of cards, dot dot dog.
Speaker 1: I know this is the PSQ, the pretty smart question, but I didn't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 3: You no, as I'm going on my rant about Rebecca, I hope you're listening. I've been trying to meet you for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Let's manifest that. Okay. Because we're virtual, you have to let me know when to stop.
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 2: What's your superpower?
Speaker 3: I think my superpower is that I can and will talk to everyone. It doesn't mean they want to talk to me, but I will always always strike up a conversation, whether it's somebody in an airplane line. I mean I was once on an airplane Danielle, and I badgered this guy so much that I found out who was a secret Service agent. You're not supposed to share that information. But I love to get to know people, and I think because I'm both persistent and hopefully nice enough as I'm doing it, it's.
Speaker 1: Easy to I think it's your connectability. It's not even that you'll talk to anybody. You have a really kind way of doing it in a warmth. Okay, what is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 3: My smartest personal decision was marrying my wonderful husband, Rubin and starting a family and having my twin daughters. But the smartest professional decision I ever made was launching my company and finally realizing that the best boss I'll ever have is me. I should be in charge of my own business.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that for everybody or you felt that for you.
Speaker 4: I feel that for me.
Speaker 3: I think everyone is different, and I also think timing is critical. I would never have been my best boss earlier in my career. I think I needed to have great examples, and I needed to have some pretty poor examples, just like dating and getting broken up with and realizing those were not the right ones for me long term.
Speaker 4: All those lessons and aggregate show you the real truth.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Rachel.
Speaker 4: Thank you Danielle, You're the best.
Speaker 1: I want to thank the people that make the show possible, Colleen O'Neill, Jill Salama, Karrie O'Keefe, and Phil speed Tech. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day.
Speaker 2: I'll see you next week.