Speaker 1: Ah yeah, stepping on the beach the only place to read your emails and your tweets. It's Wednesday, February seventeenth, hashtag full squad here with the No Dunk's crew. I'm J's skeets and a lung side me mister what you need to know of tass Mellus.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Hey Tassy, we got the bass Master, a ribbondim Lips, Trey Kirby, Hey, hey, you the international man, mystery taking it to the max le Ellis.
Speaker 1: And last, certainly not least making the magic happen. It's jd. Hello, there is and here we are. Shout out to the stream team. Joining us live right now on YouTube, like, comment, subscribe, and share a friendly reminder. If you haven't already done so. Check out tassies What you Need to Know series, an excellent little bite sized NBA recaps posted early in the morning Monday through Friday. Check those out. Also check out Trey's hilarious seven Days in the NBA recap. New one went up yesterday, as we posted on Tuesday nights. Go check that one out. Obviously. Hopefully you're listening or joining us live in the stream team for the No Dunks Daily Podcast. We talked hard In and Zion and Lillard on today's show, and yesterday I said this on the Daily Show new Top Shot Hot Boys. I'm not sure if task Lee. I guess Jad you had to watch it because you were there. We popped some cool cats, beecks, got ourselves at Randall and a cousins, a lot of fun and people seem to get a kick out of it. So go check that out. That one's only on YouTube, the Top Shot Hot Boys with what do we call you? Top Shot Tray and I'm showcase Skeets.
Speaker 3: That's right, babe, acts only. Don't worry, guys, you can show up and be hot boys as well. Money Melluce Limited Edition Ellis Jumpin' JD Come on for everybody.
Speaker 4: I just can't get out of the fact it looks like you're opening a pack of condoms.
Speaker 1: It just looks like we we obviously open those packs and then we have sex with each other, with our Randalls and our cousins. That's what everybody does. Finally, tomorrow night, Thursday, Thursday Night, join us for another NBA happy Hour. We're gonna fire up the stream around halftime of the Raptors Bucks game, so make sure you join us. Then I think they're announcing the starters for the All Star Game. Yeah, I think that happens tomorrow night. I can I remember do they do that pregame? Do they do half?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, we'll have that.
Speaker 1: Wow, we might actually talk a little basketball during a happy hour. You never know. Crazy things happened.
Speaker 5: They actually haven't announced the All Star Game and what's happening, but they're gonna announce the starter so I guess.
Speaker 1: So yeah, crazy crazy times. Okay, So yeah, that's all of the stuff you need to go back and watch and listen to and get excited about as we move forward here. But today beach step and stepping on the beach, answering your questions task it it.
Speaker 5: Started here we go. You guys are great sending in the emails. First one, Hey, sports fans, animal lovers, and compost enthusiasts. Yeah, that's right. With the high level that Lebron continues to play at and the inevitable arrival of Bronni James into the NBA, what would you prefer Lebron and his son being teammates or Lebron and Bronny playing against each other? Two to four times over the course of a season. Keep on trucking. That's from Nathan and Sunbury, Australia.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Do you know him?
Speaker 4: I do know. We used to play cricket together and we battled on the basketball court a few times nights.
Speaker 1: A pretty good player play nice, nice. Nice.
Speaker 5: I definitely thought that was a setup for a joke. I didn't think that you knew Nathan. Nathan and Sunbury Yeah pretty.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, yeah, nice big Nathan's not Nathy.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Well, I'll answer this first because I had actually never thought about this. We have talked numerous times about Ronnie James is coming in the NBA and he is going to play on the same team as lebron James, Like we've we locked that in like two or three years ago, I think here on the show. So I'm still on board with that, But I actually hadn't taken a step back and went, hmm, would it be more enjoyable to see them go head to head? You know, get a couple of moments there where they are out on the perimeter and they're sizing each other up, or maybe Bronnie dunks on them or something like that, which is really exciting too. So I'm sort of torn. I don't know how to answer this. I think them being on the same team is inevitable. I think it truly does happen. But I'm not against this idea tray of them going one on one. Maybe we just get both. I don't know which order you'd prefer it, but nice, nice thinking here, Big Nathy in Sunbury. I like this. I'm not against seeing them matchup against each other, who can get the best of each other. Despite Lebron obviously being a little older, much older, twenty years plus than his son, what do you think.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see him both as well, but we gotta see him on the same team. Everybody remembers Ken Griffy Junior and Ken Griffy Senior playing together on the Marinders iconic pictures. Did they face each other otherwise? I don't know. I can't track it down. It seems that interleague play wasn't a thing yet, so the Reds and the Mariners never squared off. They didn't make it to the World Series together, But that would be awesome to see too, because remember we watched Dwayne Wade and his son playing one on one this year and Dwaynel was just talking shit to Zaire telling him you're too small. How great would that be to see on an NBA basketball court Lebron just belittling his little son. That would be great. But uh, as long as they are on the same court, it's gonna be awesome to see happen, whether it be against each other, whether it be on the same team. But I imagine it will be on the same team.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Lee, Yeah, well, I was fortunate to play with my dad in the same team and try he did as well. I played with my two brothers as well. It is so much fun playing with like your parents or your brothers just in a game. So I want to see them together because also as well, I would like to see someone, you know, like a veteran guy, maybe post up Bronnie Junior and take him inside and score it, and then just watch the revenge from Dad coming out, you know, dunking on him or blucking him or doing something, because I think that's what you would see, you know, I think people would be like this and Lebron he was too good for us. But we're going to take it out a little bit on Bronnie Junior while we can. But then the big Lion comes back and he gets them back, so it.
Speaker 1: Would be good.
Speaker 4: But having said that as well, I mean, wouldn't it be awesome to see just Bronnie Junior with the game on the line. Dad comes out to pick him up one on one and Bronnie Junior breaks his ankle or something like that, you know, knocks one down and talks a little trash to his pops some on, Pops, You're done, your time's up. This is my game now, this is my league.
Speaker 5: You know, Bryan is probably collecting those top shot moments right now too. You guys got to get on the Bronni James top shot, his first one, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't even exist yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, who knows.
Speaker 5: Maybe they're going to do high school moments soon.
Speaker 1: Geez, I hope.
Speaker 5: Sierra or Sierra High School whatever whatever this high school is called there in California.
Speaker 1: Get on it, guys, get on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with Lee on the ladder part there. I went back and forth on this one, Yeah, thinking, yeah, maybe want some griffy moments. Yeah, they played in the same outfield together.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't really that fun.
Speaker 5: That's why it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: They both caught fly balls.
Speaker 5: Maybe I know I'm being sorry, that's I'm being sarcastic. It wasn't that fun, that's the whole thing. Like, yeah, I think they hit back to back Jack did. Yeah, see, it's pretty cool. That is cool. Listen, it's cool. Uh yeah, a man who's forty plus playing in MLB baseball, I mean that's it happens a heck of a lot more than a man who's forty plus happened playing in the NBA. So this is this is amazing that Lebron James is going to be able to do it. There's just no doubt that he will be able to do it. But yeah, the moments, the singular moments, if there's going to be a top shot moment, it's going to happen when those two are playing against each other, Like those are the more exciting moments. But you know, I went back and forth, like maybe Lebron is sitting that one time that they play each other, Like they don't play each other that many times if they're in opposing conferences, especially, so i'd rather that though, I think you'd get you know, just just maybe a more special moment if they're playing oppose each other, but you know, an alley oop from each other, I would be pretty friggin cool too. But yeah, one time head to head, I'd rather see that than eighty two games with each other. But it's fricking nuts that we're talking about man playing with his son. It's just foker.
Speaker 1: It's just I want to go back to the Ellis Klan. Did you all have Did you ever have all four of you out there on the court at the same time, with you and your two brothers and Dickie running the point.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if we had all fours. We definitely had the all three combinations at once, but I don't think we had all four of us one time. But really I don't think so we're all coaches Dad, Dad, Well, just because of the ages, Like by the time I started playing, you know, men's league, I was like thirteen, I guess, and my older brother was like seventeen, so he'd sort of moved on from the because it was a lower level men's league too. It was older men. It wasn't like like a sort of you know, the top grade level. It was like a C grade level, so he kind of moved on. My older brother so I don't think he ever played. He started out at one time. My dad took a charge on this guy, legit, Yeah, and the guy didn't like it and he and he threw a punch and connected. And my middle brother he jumped in and started throwing punches at the other guy.
Speaker 1: A weird basketball version of the Hanson Brothers. No, but this guy, this guy, she took my corner man. Well, this guy, he he threw the punch of my dad like he was in the wrong because it was like he just got upset because he was was given an offensive foul and so he threw a punch with Dad wasn't looking connected. And then my other brother jumped in and he ended up getting suspended.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't believe we never had all four of you out there at the same time though. That's that's almost disappointing.
Speaker 4: So maybe, but I doubt it. I doubt it just because of the ages we move.
Speaker 5: Maybe we can ask Nathan, he probably does.
Speaker 1: Maybe he was the big needsy in the post.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We won the championship a couple of times. Oh, on Dad's steam. So that was great.
Speaker 3: Sure, bro, what's Dickie's game? Like I hear you're talking about him taking charges. You're obviously a sharp shooter. Surely he passed the jeans down much like Dell did to staff and seth.
Speaker 4: Yeah dad can shoot, Yeah, Dad can shoot. He spread the floor a little bit. Uh, pretty sure. I've never seen him miss a free throw, to be honest with it. But he's got he's got he's got a unique style. He's almost got the power gasol style at the free throw line. You know, you sort of he just gets that one hand and just pushes through, knocks him in. But yeah, he'd be he'd be well into the range of his free throws. Mate, for sure. Yeahow so?
Speaker 1: And like was he was? He more of a shooter or a playmaker. If you had to pay.
Speaker 4: A shooter, I'd say.
Speaker 1: All the elis brother, that's why you couldn't play all for around.
Speaker 4: My middle brother wasn't really a great shooter, to be honest.
Speaker 5: He was more.
Speaker 4: He was more the footballer, the AUSSI rules football who was playing basketball.
Speaker 1: So it was a bit rough. And there's no footage. I mean, you have video or photos. I should say, every moment you've ever had in your life, tell me there's video footage of you like and your brother is playing with Dicky.
Speaker 4: There's no video footage in the late eighties early nineties, we didn't have the camp quarters up at the game like recording we should have. Would have been great to watch back now, but so good. There's probably a photo there somewhere. I'll see if I can dig one out.
Speaker 1: All right, great, Yeah he's retired though, from the game, right, Dicky.
Speaker 4: He retired, Yes, I think he retired at fifty. But yeah, a lot of championships up in the in the Yellstown geez.
Speaker 3: And he waited until his youngest was old enough to play with him in the league. You gotta love it or.
Speaker 4: It was so much fun, so much fun. But try you, I mean you and not Stavie. You played together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like your dad is good, but my dad could beat your dad.
Speaker 1: Sorry versus Dickie. Oh yeah, okay, good Bundy to watch that. Yeah, okay, so yeah.
Speaker 3: So old guys flopping the entire time. That's one of the main things my dad taught me was how to take a charge. Every dad passes it down. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Let us start here to the beach step in the podcast. Okay, next one. We know Lee loves a beautiful shooter of the basketball see Klay Thompson or Dicky Ellis. I added that, and an incredible passer of the basketball see Draymond Green. But who's a wonderful rebounder of the basketball? Turn down? Love your thighs? Oh yeah, that's from Rob so Trey. Wow, you answer this one because you're the big beef man. You've been watching a million rebound highlight. Who's a beautiful rebounder, a wonderful rebounder.
Speaker 3: A wonderful rebounder. Well, let me take you to the meat market, skeets, it's time for a beef watch. He got eleven big beefs so far this season, three for Andre Drummond, two now for Ennis Cancer, and one each for Steven Adams, Clint Cappella, Rudy Gobert, Nicola Jokic, Demonta Sebonis, and Yonas Valanciunas. Shout out to the international beatmen. Those guys are eating beef. Personal favorites for me, Rudy Gobert a very stylish rebounder. He's got a lot of the Rodman to him, like grabbing the ball from away far, snapping it to his hands. He does a fancy pass once he gets it done. Also, really like Steven Adams is beef. He's got a scrappy, scrappy beef. He had his twenty rebounds, He's diving on the floor for every single one. He's just smashing his body into people. I think he had four points of that game, but had a huge impact on actually winning because he was all over the place on the glass. But once you're watching these rebound highlights, you do see that everybody's kind of got their own style to it. You know, I've end up watching twenty rebounds probably four times through just separating out figuring out which ones are the good ones. Blah blah blah. You notice the differences. But there is a simple qualification. To be a true wonder of rebounding. You need to lead the league in rebounding more than twice. More than two times. It's happened seven total times. You know that there are seven guys who have done it, and they're all legendary players, especially rebounders. Wilt Chamberlain, he did it eleven times. The best rebounder in basketball history, the fifty five rebound game. That's a record. That's a vintage Beef candidate. There's an iconic picture of him rebounding with like the ball sort of at his waist and his legs are sticking out completely sideways. Awesome. Dennis Rodman is the next name on the list. He led the league in rebounding seven times. He is the NBA rebounder because that's what he did. He made rebounding cool, snapping the board's legs sticking out. He had a seven crown on his shoe because he led it seven times in a row. Dennis rebound, Dennis rebound might as well just call him that love Yeah. Up next on our list Moses Malone. He led the league in rebounding six times. If you're playing pick up basketball, you missed two layups, like Lee Ellis, don't call me Dicky Ellis, but you put it back in. People are yelling, Moses Malone. That's what people know. If people know you as an incredible offensive rebounder, you're a legend, a wonderful rebounder of the game. Dwight Howard led the league in rebounding five times. I think that kind of goes unnoticed because we just assume he was, you know, maybe the best center of his generation at the time, certainly the best defensive center. But that gets lost because you kind of forget that rebounding is a huge part of defense. The possession doesn't end until you grab that board up next. Kevin Durant. Kevin Garnett, sorry of the Timberwolves. Back in the day, he led four times. You don't think of Kevin Garnett now as a great rebounder, but he led four times. I think it was four years in a row. And I love his rebounding highlights. If you just said to me, if you're just striking up a casual conversation with me about rebounding, he said, a all time, who's your favorite rebound highlights? And I said, you know Dennis Robbin number one, number two kg, because he would have some that it's like a tip dunk and he brings the ball back down to his waist and dunks it incredible. But his less notable rebound highlights. It looks to me like he's reaching in the backseat to grab something in the car, but he doesn't want to turn around, but somehow snaps the ball back. He's got so many of these. I remember he was even having them with the nets and that was like end of the year, end.
Speaker 1: Of his career.
Speaker 3: Kevin Gartnet, Bill Russell, another vintage Beef candidate, led the league in rebounding four times. Forty rebounds in a Game seven of the finals. That's a championship beef. Another vintage Beef candidate. Goodness, forty boards. Give me basketball back in my day, it was so cool about the rebound highlights we could have add back then. No, I am not looking forward, honestly to watching sixty year old rebound new highlights where there's one tall guy, literally, one guy who can jump, very funny, but our final wondrous rebounder Andre Drummond. He's led the league in rebounding four times. He's the reigning Beef king. But what Capella Am I getting this? I think Capella is actually leading the league in rebounding right now. And it's basically because if you remember when we had his we had his beef not too long ago. I said, this was a sloppy beef. This guy just keeps tapping the ball at the rim, he keeps missing his own offensive footbacks, and he is ahead of Andre Drummond on offensive rebounding percentage. And that is really the difference between these two. Capella is slapping the ball off the glass to himself. He might break the streak for Andre Drummond, but he's gonna have to do it another three times if he wants to be a wondrous rebounder of the basketball.
Speaker 1: Now, are you gonna count or bestow the rebound king, the big beef King on the guy with the most total rebounds in the season or rebounds per game because drummondsn't been in trouble right now if he's sitting.
Speaker 3: All this gamble total rebounds hmm, I mean for me, rebounds per game man role player game. Okay, sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one. Plus I also kind of want the beef King to be whoever has the most twenty rebound game.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: True on games. But I'm deep in the rebounds now. I can't stop. I can't stop caring about rebounds.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I mean, you just want a good, really solid five minutes just talking straight rebound. I have nothing to add. I mean, you're the you're the expert.
Speaker 5: Lee.
Speaker 1: Is there anyone that you would throw in the mix as a wonderful rebounder? That Traye didn't mention this well.
Speaker 4: A fun rebounder to watch his Carlos Boozer when he would out rebound nobody and he'd grab that ball as if he was out mustling four other guys, he'd kick his leg out.
Speaker 1: I got that, Joe, You know, I guess Mellow is doing his thing too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, actually speaking of no I know it was a pretty aggressive rebound and he used to go and get the ball and hold onto it pretty tightly. But H haven't got that.
Speaker 3: Was his favorite player. Mmm.
Speaker 5: I like guys.
Speaker 3: The one guy I did not like to cut off from the list because of my qualifications. You got to lead the league more than twice, Ben Wallace, Oh, he only led the league in rebounding two times. Seems like one of an all time great rebounders to me, and he was, But he would playing at the same time as Kevin Garnett, White Howard, guys who are also wonderful rebounders of the basketball.
Speaker 1: There you go. So Shock never led the league in rebounding?
Speaker 5: Did he?
Speaker 1: Did he do it once? Maybe?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But not more obvious?
Speaker 4: What about Elton brand He was a pretty good rebound too. For sort of what about this guy, Hey, what about this guy?
Speaker 1: Let's play that?
Speaker 5: Sure, I have the next evolution of this is guys who just box out and don't get the rebound, the sacrifice themselves for somebody else. So that's that's the ultimate rebounder. A guy who who actually I guess it's a rebound if it'll hit the floor and go to them, but they don't have to even move. They just box that guy out so hard that no one could get to it other than them. That's that's a rebound. That's a real rebound.
Speaker 1: That's a real man's rebounds, a real man's beef. I keep thinking of Josh Hart nearly fall, nearly tasting that beef this year with the what was it seventeen? I think he got to.
Speaker 4: Don't chitch got one in the bubble, didn't he? I think he had like a forty twenty ten games.
Speaker 1: That does sound right? Yeah, I mean yeah, daun chicch is like it's just like more like more likely. I mean, just the numbers the guy puts up Josh Hart g twenty rebounds in a game, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Or early?
Speaker 4: Well, let's play that game. Then, then like the young unlikely go to score fifties and most unlikely to grab twenty rebounds.
Speaker 1: Camaso, Yeah, he's scrappy. You can maybe do it all right, And you want to add to that incredible list there tasks that you would that you love to watch rebound Robin Lopez.
Speaker 5: I mean there was there's some good ones here in the chat. Actually, sept B writes, Steven Adams was the guy who literally boxed out every single possession while Russell Westbrook went and grabbed those rebounds his MVP year, that triple double. It's a very good point. King of the box at mister Steven Adams, and I was the king of the rebounds, So good for him. All right, let's move on. Hey, there, fellas. I was thinking of getting a car Heart NBA hat, but I just don't feel right wearing car heart merch when I am far from being a blue collar worker. Car Heart just feels like the type of thing you have to earn, not buy. I'm with you, what's something you want to buy but feel like you haven't earned. For me, it's giveaway items at sporting events. Sure I could buy it online, but there's something specially about showing up to a game three hours early. To get that cheaply made jersey or hat. Keep up the classics. That's from thanks for the email.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 5: Good call Carhart is something you earn.
Speaker 1: You got to earn that Cary put some time in at the factory, I get one of those. Yeah, maybe I do agree with that too. For me, with this question, what's something you want to buy but you feel like you haven't earned. I always want to buy, like new running gear. It's fun to buy obviously, just new gear or like the like clothes like shorts or shirts or whatever, hats, even shoes of course, like new running shoes. But my running game has fallen off a cliff as of late, so I I refuse to do it. I haven't earned it. I gotta get back out there start putting the miles again. Uh. And until I do that, you know, I'm not going to buy any new cool slick Tracksmith stuff or some new Nikes or whatever. So That's where I'm at with this. You gotta put some miles in out there to uh, to reward myself. Otherwise I'm just rolling with this old crap I got. But yeah, I mean kinds just U. I don't even know what my excuse is. I think I'm working too much at the factory. If I'm being honest, I got to check out every once in a while. You gotta stop working overtime, get out on the on the roads. But I don't know you guys have an answer, Tray.
Speaker 3: I mean it sounds like for you, you got to forget tracksmith and get on your car hearts rights working in the factory. What's more blue collar than making a podcast? You know?
Speaker 1: That's right? Really really don't do anything with your hands.
Speaker 6: With it pretty much everything every single occupation out there think so I just I just broke it now on my microphone.
Speaker 3: If you tap too hard, it could be pretty dangerous here as the factory. It's one of the biggest workmen's comp hazards that we've got around here. I've got something similar to Ben. I don't think that I'm a leather jacket guy. I'd always kind of wanted to wear a leather jacket. But similar to how Ben is saying that he doesn't think he can pull off Carhart, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you don't think you can pull something off, you're not going to be able to pull it off. You need to wear the clothes. Don't let the clothes wear you. And for me, leather jackets very cool, incredibly cool. Lots of cool guys have worn them, but they're all like slick cool guys, you know what I'm saying, Like the fawns. Yeah, cooler than the Leellis once said. Toless guys Leeellis has ever mentioned on the show are the Fonds and Styles Stilenski and if I'm not mistaken, Styles also wore a leather jacket. I think I think that it's it's a tough thing to pull off. But leathers man like, if I had a if I had a motorcycle, surely I would have some leathers. But I think you got to get the motorcycle first.
Speaker 5: Yep, I got a nice leather and I just can't put it on. It was bought for me. I think my mom bought it for me a long time ago. Great gift because you know, a real leather jacket. Yeah, it's an expensive jacket. It's and I wore it when I was young, but I can't put it on again. But I can't throw it out either. It's just too nice. Other jackets are real nice. But one day, one day, I'm going to put it on.
Speaker 1: But what's your concern with wearing it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Like someone's gonna be like, so what you're riding? What's your hog? And you be like, I don't know, you're talking about my hog?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's just not wearing a leather jacket. It's just it's like you, just like Trey was saying, it's I let it wear me. I guess it's kind of tough to pull off. But then you rocket and you feel obviously, you feel freaking cool. You feel like I feel like Fonds, I FEELIX styles. I think Lee likes David Beckham. I mean David Beckham could easily leather jacket. Yeah, I can wear anything.
Speaker 4: David Beckham could wear a tea towel and he'd look asome there. I mean, that's just the way he is. He's just got that style.
Speaker 5: And we wear a tetel on his hug.
Speaker 4: I mean, it wouldn't matter which teetwel he wore or where he wore it, just like, yeah, that's cool, that's fine.
Speaker 1: What about you, what's your answer for?
Speaker 4: Well, actually sort of similar to you there, because I saw Dee Brown is releasing the Omni Lights again. The pumps that he won the Slam Dunk Contest with. And I've got far too many basketball shoes in my house. But you know, under normal circumstances, you can say, well, I can justify it because I need these shoes for something or that, you know, But now there's no real reason why I need a new pair of the brown basketball Omni pumps. You have a pair of yeah, I do, I do, but they're not the exact ones that he re releasing, So I'm kind of like, I just kind of want them. You know, I had a pair when I was a kid, and now that he's re releasing them, they'll probably be you know, one hundred and eighty bucks or something that money that I don't need to spend on shoes that i'll barely wear. But if I see them, if it just comes across my timeline and they're like they're to say, grab a pair, I'm like, yeah, cl cl click boom done, I'll do it.
Speaker 5: But the pumps are called THEO they're called the omnies.
Speaker 4: Is that what they're called omni lights? I believe they were called yeah, the O g ones.
Speaker 5: What's funny is that I also I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on some omnies, the New Balance omnies, these these yes that colors that are awesome. I do the spurs are wearing. But I'm the same. I mean, I'm not out there on the court. I'm not punching the clock like I'm one of Jim Boylan's boys. So it's hard to pull the trigger on these things.
Speaker 1: You know. It's just like, I don't need it when you're not playing even basketball once a week or once every two weeks. Yeah, it's like, why do I need new shoes? You don't fashion? Now, you don't for the fashion. Where the hell are you going to show them off? I can't even see.
Speaker 5: You're falling out the trash, you know.
Speaker 3: Take a look at the Look at this guy. What's up, neighbor?
Speaker 1: Like my fiesta?
Speaker 6: Are you big?
Speaker 3: Sean Elliott? Guy? Look at these thrawing your leather jacket? Man?
Speaker 1: The man?
Speaker 4: So the boss says they got to pick up a cake of the.
Speaker 1: Okay, our next question, Hey guys. A few years ago, Donovan Mitchell and Ben Simmons had a bit of a beef. Oh my god, we have talked sobou beef and hogs and everything in this one. So they had a little bit of a beef over who was Rookie of the Year, and at the time it seemed unanimous that if you were to start a franchise with one of those guys, it would be Ben Simmons. I think that's probably fair to say. At the time. At the time of this the Rookie of the Year beef, we had a bunch of who are the T shirt? Was it Donovan Mitchell?
Speaker 4: Mitchell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right right, the T shirt?
Speaker 1: Yes, fast forward. The email continues fast forward to today, and I don't think that would be the case. So the question is who would you pick to start your franchise with now, Ben Simmons or Donovan Mitchell the show. This is from Kevin in Mississauga. Task do you know Kevin?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we go way back. Yeah, we played basketball together with our two dads and our six brothers, Big Kevy, Big Kevy Kevy, the post Rocket Kevvy. He was wearing the Omni Lights. No, this is a tough question, Kevin. It has become a very difficult question. I agree. Years ago Ben Simmons landslide, but Donovan Mitchell has expanded his game he's become incredible, but you're left in out in the question who would you pick to start your franchise with. I would pick Ben Simmons because it's difficult to build around Ben Simmons. But if you can pick him first, you can make a team around Ben Simmons. Well, donn of Mitchell. You can just add him to any team and it'll work. Ben Simmons, you need a special team around him. And I think Ben Simmons he still hasn't reached his ceiling. We saw him the other night, forty two point game where he was dominating against the Jazz on the inside, and he says he's been working on the mental part of his game. Is that's that's where he's growing. So I don't think we've seen that the best of Ben Simmons quite yet. And he's so special on the other end of the floor. I think you need a certain type of team around Ben Simmons. But I'm looking forward to that ceiling. I mean, now we know that he's a power forward essentially, or a point forward, whatever you want to call. He's not a point guard in the traditional sense. I mean, positions are stupid, but he doesn't hit. He doesn't hit threes. He is now being a screener and a roller and he's an incredible defender. And you can't go wrong with either of these guys. Because Dono Mitchell you could easily build a team around too. But Ben Simmons, I think we're still waiting for the best Ben Simmons. Plus he's such a great defender. Man, this is this is wow.
Speaker 1: You're sort of still ultimately sticking with Ben Simmons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just a believer, Like right today, if I want to win a game, probably like a series.
Speaker 3: Probably Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 5: But you know, both sides of the ball do count a little bit sometimes if you're trying to win a game and you're trying to win a series. And again, if we saw it without Joel un beating the lineup the other day against the Jazz, Ben Simmons was godlike and he had the lane to penetrate and see if if I know my team, I'm not putting in a jewel and bead type with Ben Simmons, even though Darren Moore has done a good job putting shooters around him. I know what I'm building, No one I'm building keV. You know I'm not going to build that team that we used to play on me you or Bros. Or dad's I mean that wasn't working. You know, if I knew, if I knew your dad was going to be on the team, I build a different team, keV, Kev's dad for Mississieta. We used to play at Square one. Yeah, oh of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We'd go to earls after the game talk about our hogs and leather jackets. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Kevin.
Speaker 5: And this is just a tough, tough one where you guys go, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this question to me, it's like almost the equivalent. It says something about you how you answer this tray. It's like, you know, what do you prefer? Pepsi or coke? And like your answer tells me all I need to know about you when you tell me whatever. It is so like same thing with this in a weird way, Simmons, like, are you going with what Tasa is saying? You still see obviously the potential to him to bring it on both ends and go next level? Or Mitchell who's become better and better and better and this still probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Where are you going Trey Well.
Speaker 3: I prefer Coke skeats me. I hate you know, description wise, I think Tasks one hundred percent nailed it, but I almost come down on the other side of it, just because Donovan Mitchell, Ben Simmons impact wise, upside wise, I think they're both very similar to the same level right now, right like I mean, you're you're seeing Donovan Mitchell get better every single season. You're seeing Ben Simmons grow into becoming a little bit more of a scorer. Recently. We've seen in the past when Embiid was out they won thirteen games straight at the end of a season. Right Like, the shooters and defense around Ben is going to work, but we haven't got to see it for an extended season. And you just got to really trust yourself. If you're a GM, you got to believe you're a true man of genius to be able to build a team around Ben Simmons, because it's going to be a little bit trickier. Whereas Mitchell. There are other Mitchell types around the league, whether it be Steph Curry or Trey Young, scoring guards who are also solid distributors who you can build your offense around. And you know, for me, I do consider myself a true man of genius, but I'm also an idiot when it comes to basketball. So if you were going to tell me, hey, you're a GM, I'm saying, give me the guy who looks like all the other guys out there right now, give me Donovan Mitchell. He's contributing defensively, He's not on Simmons' level as a defender. Ben Simmons is a defensive Player of the Year candidate, whereas Donovan Mitchell is just a solid defender at this part part of a good team defense. Obviously with the Jazz, I think it just is a little bit simpler to build around Donovan Mitchell, and as a simpleton, I think that's where I'm going though, I do think that building around Simmons could certainly work. And you know, ask me a year ago, I'm taking benbo What do you think, Lely, This is a great question.
Speaker 4: It is a great question because Simmons has such a weakness in his terms of shooting the ball, which Donovan is great. And you know, if the game's on the line and one of them's got the ball in the hands, it's a tie game. Who would you rather have to make the play. I mean, you probably take Donovan Mitchell because he can hit that shot and Simmons maybe he can, maybe he can't. He's just not as confident like that. But Simmons defensively, his height, is athleticism, his speed, all those things, I think he has an advantage over Donovan, but Donovan can score fifty a little bit easier than Ben Mitchell Ben Simmons come together. But if we see more of the Ben Simmons we saw the other night against Utah, then I think Simmons runs away with it here because he's aggressive scoring effect him Again, you don't have to have that three pointer. You just have to make it so that the defenders can't stop you, and they couldn't stop him the other night. But we've seen so too many times as well where Ben Simmons will just have a three for five game, which is just you need more from that from your guy, from your franchise guy. So if he can improve that, But then again Donovan Mitchell, I mean, if he can improve his defense and maybe he just becomes an all round better player as well. So it is a great question. They're very different, but they're all so very the same and how impactful they can be. I probably leaned slightly towards Ben Simmons today, but it's very, very close.
Speaker 1: To start the franchise with. Well think I'm gonna split this up. I think I leaned towards Mitchell. But you guys are making great cases for both of them. Here. Let me ask you Jeene Simmons or Joni Mitchell.
Speaker 5: Oh, Geane.
Speaker 4: I saw Gene Simmons at the Canada cent a couple of years ago. They put on a show. You want to talk about a band?
Speaker 3: There we go, Here we go.
Speaker 4: He was breathing fire on stage there, Geene Simmons. I mean, that's what you want from your band. It's a watch Kiss. If you get a chance to see Kiss, go and see them for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, watch.
Speaker 5: Yes, That's why I always watch those challenge shows, you know, the Next Challenge show where guys are like swallowing swords and stuff because they're breathing fire. I mean, that's that's what you want in the show as you breathe fire.
Speaker 4: For sure. I mean I lost a little bit of its edge because a guy came out quickly with a rag and sort of put it around the fire like that took it at because It's one of those things you went, oh, got that and the big the big flame came out. But still I'm telling you they put on the show.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hear it from you guys in the stream team with that one starting a franchise right now, or you go in Ben Simmons or Donovan Mitchell. I'm fascinating. We got to make that a poll.
Speaker 3: We'll do. It's already out, baby, check our YouTube page.
Speaker 1: Incredible stuff I'm interested to see. I think people would lean towards Mitchell if I'm being honest. I think the ultimate vote will side with him. But sixty forty, I think is where it's going to end. But get your votes in.
Speaker 5: Okay, people don't respect defense like they used to. You know, I like it Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Well with Mitchell, I mean there are like those variants, so the big swings, you can get an eight for thirty Mitchell game, right, I mean that happens with those type of guards. He just you know, doesn't have the three ball fall in that day whatever, the SHOT's not dropping. But then you get like those as we saw it in the bubble, like you know, hitting twenty out of thirty shots and seven of them are threes and he's like completely like dominating the game, sort of unlike a Ben Simmons has ever showed he can, at least offensively. I know he has that impact offensively, but like that, it's pretty special and at his age. And again, if we've talked about like the guys, it appears to be a Jim Ratt and just wants to get better and better and better. So that's why I lean towards him. But I get it too. I mean, the defense is it's important, that's fair.
Speaker 5: I mean Ben also has some single digit scoring games and doesn't doesn't really have it, doesn't show up entirely, and Mitchell's having far less of those disappearing act type games. But they're both getting better here. They're both getting a lot better. Kevin from Mississauga, My saga, bro, what a question respect respect to the sixth biggest city in Canada. Maybe it's the seventh. I don't know. Moving on here, my now ex girlfriend decided to move a thousand miles away to be with her ex husband. What return? A few things make me happy these days, as you can imagine, but a beach stepping question would do wonders. I wanted to I wanted to include this question because I think Sean, the emailer here, deserves to have his question read. Felt. I felt something when I read this question. So, what's something you've lost that you never thought you would be without? Turnips? Turnips? We just had a tattoo turnip. Brownie's basket prays thank you. That's from Sean, so Lee something you never thought you'd be without?
Speaker 4: Well, you guys remember when we were at the NBA TV and Dicky sent over all my old posters and stuff for the wall and for you know, decorating our set. Well, I guess it was four or five years ago. Now, I decided I was going to set myself a little goal of trying to get every member of the Dream Team to sort of sign something of ours and send it back to the set. And so I tapped into a few of our contacts, one in Chicago and one in San Antonio, and I sent them out a poster, one of Scotti Pippen and one of David Robinson, a Hoop magazine poster that I'd had for thirty years, kept in a maculate condition by my dad, hoping how two contacts might be able to come through there, and both of them were like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got ya, I got ya. No worries never came through, and I've never seen those posters again them. Yeah, I know it was tough. Yeah, I mean they might still have them somewhere, but yeah, I mean those those Hoop Magazine posters are pretty dear to me when I when I got them back, and then I just lost them forever. I mean Dad kept them in perfect condition. I have them for five minutes and boom they're gone.
Speaker 1: That sucks. I mean, did you end up getting autographs from the dream Team.
Speaker 4: One and no and spelled wrong. There's a bit of a story to that one too. It was Calm Malone of all people. I got in touch with his wife and h and so I sent him a Hoop Magazine poster and as a thank you, I sent him a Starter's T shirt. He signed the Starter's T shirt and sent back the poster and the T shirt.
Speaker 1: I do remember, you tell, I mean at least he sent it back. I mean, I guess when your nickname is the mailman, you do have to deliver it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I just like, why would you sign the T shirt though not the poster?
Speaker 1: I mean, why would I think, why would you send me a T shirt?
Speaker 4: Because I had been communicating with his wife and saying, this is a like as a thank you have a T shirt, you know, hoping maybe you'd get a photo with the poster. Sign it. Anyway, tell me from.
Speaker 1: Your your big plans to get every dreunting number to sign. We have a signed starter's T shirt from karlme alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah somewhere. I don't know where that is anymore. I mean, I knew, I knew there was a couple that were going to be tough, Michael Magic, Larry. You know, we work with Charles. I thought that one would be fairly easy, to be honest, I didn't really want late. No, I was going to go eleven for twelve.
Speaker 1: The one we could have got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he probably would to come on the show an interviewed. Not everything, but anyway, there you go.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I hope somebody else is enjoying those Hoop magazine posters that you held on to for so dearly. That sucks. I can't believe both of them did make it back to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too, Uh.
Speaker 3: Trey answer this one, Lee actually reminded me of something from when I was young. Sports Illustrated for kids, would always put the address of the team for whichever player they were profiling. You know, like I got a Carlos Valdorama autograph once upon a time, shout out to Carlos Valderrama. I lost that. Unfortunately, we'll never get it back. But the one regret I really have from that is that Dion Sanders was like one of my favorite guys back in the day, one of my favorite athletes I like lee. I sent him a bandana to sign and send back. Oh never got it back.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, come on with these guys.
Speaker 3: And look, I never saw him wear it on the field, is either? So he wasn't using it. Give me back my band dam it was. It was vintage. I would love to have it these days.
Speaker 1: Do you think he possibly turned it into Aliela's hanky?
Speaker 3: What a thriller sign of disrespect? Fail him something? He turns it into a snot rag not prime time.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know if that's disrespectful. I think that's like he's always keeping you close by. So look at this guy, said a handkerchief as a sign of respect. I'm going to use this handkerchief, Okay, change.
Speaker 3: My bid I like to now, I think that Deane Sanders has been carrying that in his back pocket for twenty five years.
Speaker 4: Santa's played basketball. Did anyone you know was he a good pick up player?
Speaker 3: Do we know? I would guess he was one of the best pick up players in any game he played. I don't know anything if that's the case. But the man was a professional athlete in two different sports. I imagine he can figure out basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. People, you've already said you could beat Tiger Woods one on one. Do you think you could take on too Lely?
Speaker 4: I mean, I haven't seen him play, so you know he don't have either.
Speaker 1: I'm going with I'm leaning towards six or one. Did they say, what's up?
Speaker 3: Six foot one?
Speaker 1: That was?
Speaker 3: That was Tiger?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: Tygert oh Dian are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Well, Dion is almost the same size as Tiger, so both of them? All right, here's some things charity basketball game. Dion Sanders nineteen ninety one. Dion Sanders almost played in the NBA with the Atlanta Hawks. I don't know how fact toidle that is, but I mean, the guy was a quarterback in high school and he became the greatest cornerback in ANYFL history. Seems like he probably has good hand eye coordination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think he figured it out.
Speaker 3: He was in Rock and Jock. Gregsonat says that's where you show your skills Rock and Jack. If you hit a twenty five pointer, you know he's good.
Speaker 4: Terrell Owens, Terrell Owens was a pretty good boss.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I think I remember seeing him put up some buckets in the Celebrity Game.
Speaker 1: He did any dunk?
Speaker 4: I think did he?
Speaker 5: I think so that he played at some point.
Speaker 1: Test Do you have something you've lost that you never saw?
Speaker 5: My answer to this question, no, I think I I answered this a few weeks ago with my athleticism. I mean it's a very similar question. I think something that I didn't have, So maybe I shouldn't have included it. But we got a great, great answers from you guys, so I'm glad we did. But yeah, it is my athleticism. There's no doubt. I mean, did I ever have it? I don't know, but yeah, I'll find it again. I gotta find it again when I move. I think I think I packed it somewhere. I'm moving soon. It's deep in a box. Gonna find it, Gonna find ready to.
Speaker 1: Buy yourself a brand new pair of shoes. Do unlock that athleticism again?
Speaker 5: That's it? Hey, do you get do you get in shape when you buy the gear or do you get in shape and then get the gear? That's the question, huge conundrum. Listen, when it gets warm again, everybody stay warm. That's when that's when my juices get flowing. No, that's when I get out there and I feel the tire mac underneath my feet get going. Yeah, I get it. Get out there on Great Iron Battle with Dion Sanders. Okay, I don't really.
Speaker 1: Have a good answer for that one. I actually besides my innocence, but uh, I don't lose a lot of things, like I honest, Like I don't mean a humble brag, but I just do not lose things because of my you know O C. D. And I know where everything is at all times. And but I mean the problem with that is if it's not there for like one minute, I freak out because I'm like, I left it there? Where is it? It's like, okay, relax, but yeah, I can't really think of any I mean, things have been stolen from me, but that's not really losing it, is I had my watch stolen from the y m c A back at Strafford, had my bike stolen. I've told that story before. I'm not happy about that.
Speaker 4: In my backyard, you have the start as flag. Still you know where that is?
Speaker 1: I think I think it's in JD's house, in a box at JD's place. JD, I don't know if you're.
Speaker 6: Still listening, but yeah, it's somewhere.
Speaker 1: That we got to take care of that. We gotta.
Speaker 5: I'll come get that, JD. Yeah, oh yeah, JD. Yeah, you don't trust JD to hold on to it.
Speaker 1: It's not that I don't trust JD, but like he's uh, you know, possibly looking to sell his house box to get Left Eye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why not? You know all these great otographs pull of famous legends.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing. If you come get the flag, you have to get all of it, all of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, not that interested in some of those dunk costumes that you've got in boxes. I'll take it over the Okay, next one here, Good morning, Slash Afternoon. I would first like to say I'm a huge fan of the show and never miss an episode on Apple Podcasts. I listen to you guys every day on my way to school or work and any other time I get the chance. I'm also a huge Celtics fan and a Beantown girl, one might say, so obviously, I'm over the moon about the recognition Jalen Brown is finally getting as a star and the really strong young core we've established with Brown and Tatum. Earlier in the season, it was mentioned that Tatum could be a dark horse MVP candidate. I think he could easily be an MVP caliber player. But my question is, do you guys think that, because Brown is now putting up similar numbers to Tatum, that it's going to be nearly impossible for like Tatum to get any MVP love because of how E spread the offenses between them. Much love that's from Grace. She's a Beantown girl from Boston. Another great question here. I mean, you know, are silly questions we love, but our basketball questions we also enjoy. Like that Mitchell Simmons one this one task. Does Grace have a point here? Like Brown is playing so well, does it like they cancel each other out in some way for potential MVP?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think so. It's a very good question, but I think we're sort of caught in the moment here. Jaylen Brown's having a great, great season and Jason Tatum just hasn't been playing because of COVID protocol, so he hasn't been around. But I think it just helps to have a guy who's just as good. I think it just helps your MVP case because it just propels you up in the standings. And that's what it really comes down to. Teams have to be really good for a guy to win MVP, So if they're up higher in the standings, don't you guys just think that Tatum would get more recognition. I know, I know it's sort of an even balanced right now in this moment, Jalen Brown has had just as good a season but better, but better than Jason Tatum because he's been playing. But I think if you're playing full eighty two games, I think Tatum would get the recognition and just get more of it because they're good. I think the like, what are we looking at here in terms of a historical perspective, you know, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant kind of thing, like two guys who are really really, really good but would take votes away from each other. I think media just establishes one guy is a better guy and gives it to him, and it would probably be Tatum when it comes down to it for me, although you know, Brown is obviously absolutely incredible. I think if they're played a full season, I think there's no need to worry Grace. I think Tatum would get it, And yeah, he would be an MVP candidate if he played well. The Celtics would have to be better, but yeah, I think they would be better.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Trey, Yeah, I think task is exactly right. The rising tide lift all boat, as they're saying in the stream, team because if your team is good, if your team is the best team in the league, you can win MVP no matter who is on your team, unless you are the Warriors and your Curry and Durant and people just don't want to give it to you because they think it's too easy. But go back a little further. Lebron James won back to back MVPs with the heat. He was playing with Dwayne Wade, a Hall of famer, a guy who could get his own MVP votes, Chris Bosh, another Hall of famer. Keep going back, you can see Kobe one one didn't have anybody alongside of them, shack one one with Kobe right, like, you can easily win an MVP with another All Star Hall of Famer alongside you because your team is winning. As long as you're still the number one guy, you're gonna do it. I guess that could be a little bit of a question. Will Jalen Brown ever pass Jason Tatum? I don't know. I think it's more of a toss up now than it has ever been with the way Jalen Brown improves every single year. But certainly Tatum seems to be at least the one A right now to Brown's one B. And as long as he stays as the one A and the Celtics are able to get back into the championship contending picture MVP case right there.
Speaker 1: Right, can Tatum be the MJ and Brown is obviously then the Scottie Pippen Lee? You would think? I mean, also, let's be honest, it comes down to, like Tiger, who's taking the shot? I mean, more times than not, who are you going to be given the ball to? I would still think right now, despite how improved he's shown us, that it would still go to Tatum over Brown right in that instance, I would think, so yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I look at this as Tatum's team in that sense, like Tatum is the number one and Brown is He's the Pippen on that team. There, and just going back through history, teammates who are finished in the top five and MVP voting twenty fifteen to sixteen, Westbrook fourth, Durant fifth, two thousand and two, two thousand and three, Kobe third, Shack fifth, two thousand and one, two thousand and two, Sha third, Kobe fifth, and then ninety five ninety six, Jordan first, and Pippin fifth, So you know you can get there, though it is rare. Other than Jordan, I can't see anyone else unless you go back to Kareem and Willis Reid and those guys who's actually won it and his teammates finished in the top five. But the good thing is these guys have got similar games, players similar way, but they don't seem to get in each other's way, and they certainly don't seem to be in a little bit of a tug of war as to whose team it is. I think they get along really well. I think they've got great chemistry, and I think that's the thing for the Celtics. I don't think there's any like in a sort of fight there to see who really is the number one guy there, and they work well, so bright future with those two there, everyone else should put around them, I think is going to sort of fall in behind. So Brown has definitely improved a lot this season. But Jason Tatum, before he did miss time with the coronavirus, I think he was in that MVP conversation and he said just the other day, maybe before last night's game, he said he's started he's still feeling some of the effects of that. He gets tired more easily, more fatigued, and that does sort of if you look at the way he's played lately, he certainly hasn't been at that same level. So maybe he's finding his feet a little bit and just getting his win back. But yeah, both great players, and I ultimately think that if you're winning, they both do get their recognition.
Speaker 1: Okay, great question, Grease, We got one more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dunks. I recently came across an outdoor court near me and had such a strong desire to ball. There are way too many people there during the day, though, so my girlfriend and I decided to hit the court at early done. Crazy enough, we got a horse game, just like my throat is one second here.
Speaker 1: See this is tough work being a podcaster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very hard, very hard. Crazy enough, we got a horse game in my horse throat is very clear now and it felt so good, even crazier. My girlfriend hit a legendary horse wedgie. Oh and accomplishment I have only dreamed of experiencing over the course of the year of no basketball, and you're seeing it now if you're with us in the stream team a very very dark wedgie because it's at dawn. So thanks for sending this one in. When have you felt one up by your significant other in something you have more experience in? Sincerely, Amaya and Sylvia in Atlanta, Trey. What's your answer for this one?
Speaker 3: Mine's horse related as well. I've never beat Laura and horse. We've been together now almost thirteen years. We've played a lot of times. She has a hoop outside of her parents' house. We always play when we go back, and you know, I still play pickup basketball. You know, prior to the pandemic, I would play every single week. I would play multiple times a week back when we first got together, and every time we would go play at her parents' house. She would beat me every single time. Every single time. It's quite similar to every time we would play horse in the cage with Skeets and Lee. I would lose every single time. I know what you're thinking, A knockdown and shooter like myself should be able to take a game off of whether it be Skeets or Lee or Laura. But no, because I don't have the focus for a whole game of Horse. Maybe pig would be better for me. But I'm trying dumb shots. I'm shooting the ball off the ground. I'm trying to bank it in off the top. We He'll go shoot a free throw, Laura will shoot a bank shot. Laura will shoot a seventeen footer and call a swish and knock it down. Meanwhile, I'm spending every one of my challenge shots trying to bounce it in off the glass. It never goes in. So she gets a shot, knocks down the seventeenth footer She's been shooting for twenty years. I don't practice seventeen footers. I play an efficient game, no long TuS, so this is completely virgin to me. Taking a seventeen footer it's a brick. I'm racking up numbers, racking up letters. Next thing you know, I got horse. We play Farmer's Chance. I miss again and she gets another. W sucks.
Speaker 4: Wasn't she a beautiful rebound of the ball and her die too? She was a beautiful rebounder of the ball. Indeed, she led a to school, didn't she? In reband? I think you've told me before.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. Yes, she's great at boxing out too.
Speaker 1: Lee.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to mention it. She's really the rebound lover in this family. She's the one that wears a Horse Grant shirt or a Denis Rodman shirt. Around here, I'm wearing Michael Jordan. I'm trying to be the star. She's doing the dirty work, and that's why she gets the winds when we actually go against each other in basketball matchups.
Speaker 1: She just plays the fundamental horse game. I mean, that's why playing Lee's infuriating too. And let's be honest, like I like to think, tell me if I'm wrong, trade I mix it up right. I know when I got to just take a jumper or a free throw to maybe get one, get a cheap one, get an easy one, But I'm trying those crazy over the backboard shots when you're not out there from half court. Lee Ellis is just like free throw after free throw after like left handed layup. You're like, what do we do with here? But it gets you a lot of victories. That just slow and steady, boring ass horse game. But I think it sounds like, yeah, Laura plays a similar game. Just knock down that little jumper and you can rack up a lot of a lot of letters. Gets it works for you, guys.
Speaker 5: What's a farmer's challenge?
Speaker 3: Raight?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For a farmer's chance.
Speaker 3: Farmer's chance on an E. You know, say Laura makes the first shot, I miss on my attempt, so I get an E, but I get a farmer's chance. I get a second chance to make that last one. If I make it, I continue on with an S waiting for her to give me another E.
Speaker 4: Eventually, Oh okay, there you go. It's like a coach's challenge almost.
Speaker 3: It's similar to our coaches challenge. But it's also like you can tell I grew up in the Midwest, we had something called a farmer's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go next here for this for me with Nora a thing where I felt like one upped by her in something that I do more, have more experience quizzes like pub quizzes. Sure, you guys know, I mean, there was a good stretch there where we were going, you know, to the bar, like you know, once a week, maybe once every two weeks when Maddie always live in here. A lot of us would do it, you know, the team, the starters team at the time, we would all go out and have friends and I went to almost all of them. And you know, I'm fine, I'll chip in here. You know, we're getting a sports question. I'm pretty good, might get a weird video game question. I can help out a lot of the time. I'm just like, yep, okay, American history, I'm turning towards Trey or you know everybody, Jair or something like that. I'm not helping all that much. I am not a smart man. But Nora comes in every once in a while, like she wouldn't come all the time, and like she just knows. She's just one of those people that just knows a lot about a lot and it's really weird and you're like, how did you know that? Like, and especially in the pop culture like realm, like, that's her, that's her sweet spot. So she would just come in and I'm just like, I'm like, I'll run it up, guys, you know, like that's all I'm good for. Like I'll run her answer up to the quiz master because I'm not helping at all. I'll do the I got great penmanship, guys, you want me to write down, I'm pretty good speller. You don't need to tell me. Just tell me the answer and I'll write it down. So, yeah, Nora's Nora's good. H a very good random trivia and we put together a bit of a powerhouse team when it would be like, uh, you know, TK, NORAA would be in the mix. Jared's pretty good. J JD. You're actually really solid. You're a bit older, so that helps. That's a compliment that's commed because you know, there's a bunch of young kids at these quizes. They don't know what's going on. In the seventies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm the history guy. Yeah to nineteen seventy to nineteen eighty five, I got you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh and Mattio with music and stuff like that, that's his. So yeah, you guys had an again. I was just there for the ride. I was just there for the beer, popcorn and running it up to the quiz master, getting my steps in.
Speaker 3: Our sheets always looked great, though, Yeah, our sheets.
Speaker 1: Our sheets looked good. Yeah yeah, I mean, I get I can help in some categories, but a lot of them, I'm just you know, I'm just looking around at everybody. I don't know. I don't know who sang that song in nineteen eighty nine and it went to number one and the UK only you know, like Matt can sing you the lyrics.
Speaker 4: To that, like get the guitar, you know, sounds like it was Keen Wild or someone like that, for sure.
Speaker 5: Sure, So I love to Nora and hers like there's like the accordion Grady and grad and Gardian eyes the accordion Great and Gordian open him up and you see what's inside of that accordion. There's a vast knowledge of a lot of topics.
Speaker 1: It is good to have on a team too, for sure, especially uh he knows his history. Yeah, you need you need your your your experts in all those o' feel like Trey and science and stuff like that is good man. You just get you just like that's the way to do it. It's it's a lot of fun. Man. I miss going out, miss seeing you guys in one of these days.
Speaker 3: Didn't we win the last trivia before Matt moved.
Speaker 1: To Damn right? Yeah? Because we were always the bridesmaid. We were coming second. Like I felt like every time we went out we could never win, win, but we did before Matt left. I think Matt says he still has that gift certificate. He was very proud that maybe I have. Maybe I got it somewhere, maybe I lost it. I lost something. I lost the what was it Albert's gift certificate? I don't know where we were.
Speaker 3: It was the local the local local.
Speaker 1: UH league for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So when I decided to start pursuing a career in sports media, I just started blogging. You know, blog Spot was the big thing back then. So my wife was very encouraging. She said, just just start blogging. You just never quite known. So I did. Right now. This was the first article I ever had published.
Speaker 1: Right, how do you have a photo of you with your first right?
Speaker 4: This is on this is on real GM right. Okay, So that was when I got one published. I was pretty excited. I was like, wow, I've had one published because I wrote a lot of articles and then I just sent emailed everyone I could possibly do, and you know, you get like two bites back. And so I wrote one for real GM and I was pretty excited. I was like, wow, I'm actually you know, it's published, and I was excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it was about I think it was after the two thousand and eight playoffs the Spurs didn't repeat and I did the old other Spurs done.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 4: I think that's what it was. I don't think it exists on that on the website anymore, but anyway, I was super pumped. I was like, wow, there's the first little step, because real GM is still a pretty respectable site, you know, and so to get my Arctic Club, I was excited. At this same time, my wife Roxanna was creating her own iPad excuse me, iPhone app.
Speaker 1: My waife is still jobs.
Speaker 4: Because we used to live right near the underground path there in Toronto, and Roxanna was like, this should be an app, This would be a great app. And so she would get up, like, you know, first thing in the morning on weekends, sometimes on Thursdays and Friday as well. I just walk around mapping the entire path right building her own app and the.
Speaker 1: Hold hold on, are you serious, I've never heard this story.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, she created map the Path for Toronto and it was the day on her own.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, she had to pay like a developer who actually put it together, but she was the one who did it all. And so on the day it launched, it took off. It really took off. And the next morning after it launched, I was walking over to the to the score and here she was on the twenty four hour.
Speaker 1: Newspaper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Daily on the front page, front page.
Speaker 1: Now, the mayor at the.
Speaker 4: Time, I can't remember his name actually who the mayor was at the time, but the Mayor's office of Toronto got a phone call from someone saying, oh, it's great you've got this app. You know, what's the story? And he was like, I have no idea what this app is. I don't know what's going on. Roxanna also went on CP twenty four on that tech show that they did. Oh yeah, yeah, she was on that. Yeah, she was on that. She was getting phone calls from news outlets asking her about it. A guy wanted to buy the data off her as well. Like people went crazy for it and yeah, and she was like, she's not the person who likes all that sort of attention. So when they called up and said, hey, we want to take a photo, I want to do a little article, she was like, Oh, I'm really nervous. I'm really nervous. And so I was just like, hmm, real GM, that's me. And here she is on a front page on page of the Daily You Downtown Toronto.
Speaker 1: I wish that was on the front page of the local man rates blog post.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So so yeah, she definitely won up to me. But I was very very excited for her, very happy for her, and yeah it was great.
Speaker 1: Well that's amazic. So what so what ended up? Like, are you guys rich because of those path.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, unfortunately we couldn't really get it quite off the ground because once we got to that point, we really needed a big cash injection to take it to the next level and we didn't quite have it at the time. And yeah, unfortunately didn't work out. But it was great. She had her own up and fun. Yeah, it was amazing that day when you know, someone from the you know, the Mayor's office called her up and said, can you tell us about this app? And she was like, okay, I just created it myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She just like because she was getting lost in the path all the time and was like, we need a nap us down there.
Speaker 4: Basically that was exact actly what it was. And she had problems with the Wi Fi down there as well, because you know, it wouldn't pick it up. So I herd to hold design. She just walked down like shop to shop to shop drew. It took her months to put it all together, and it came together. It was really good. I really wish we could have pursued it a little bit more and had the you know, the money and the development and all that to put into it, because it was it was a great idea. I don't know if there's one now. There may be probably is one out there someway because this was like, yeah, like two thousand and nine, so you know, the iPhone and apps were still very much in their infancy at that point.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. What a story. Yeah, yeah for the Yeah, again, for those that don't know Toronto, it's all this is all underground. You know, you don't want to go outside in the winter, right, So all these paths lead from building to building and they go through stores and like it's it is amaze down there. If you don't really know where you're going I guess they have a lot of signage now so they can point you in the right direction. Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean we had the ideas of, like, you know, for the restaurants and stuff down there in the food court, you know, you get it. You get a disc town if you use the app, and shops would have sales and promotions. So we had the idea of how it was going to make money. But I mean I just yeah, you needed like sales team, pr team you needed and we needed more developers as well. Like the one guy did a great job, but he was just a guy who she just found on I don't know, and read it or somewhere she said, hey, can you do this.
Speaker 1: I like to think that Roxy asked you to help out and you're like, sorry, I'm writing about the spurs being done. Duncan looks washed.
Speaker 5: I gotta get this to try and get on dragons d then.
Speaker 4: I think it was I don't think it was around then, but no, yeah, we should.
Speaker 1: Have amazing, great story. I at least enjoyed that story. Maybe from Toronto, but I can't believe I've never heard that one to ask do you have.
Speaker 5: Anything or I mean, not anything that compares to that story, So I'll sit this one out. Yeah, man, I could see that on dragons. Then it's man, sorry, which is the original shark tank? American stole it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it like actually walked it herself.
Speaker 4: And like, yeah, threw it. All were pre kids, pre kids, and we live right there on the path. So she, like I said, she was up first thing on weekends and spent hours down there, like three or four hours down there a day, just walking around, and she had this vision. She was putting it together. I was like, what, what's an iPhone? I didn't even have an iPhone? I was like what that She came back, you know, and you know, because it costs probably probably cost about ten grand in total, and I was a bit like whoa, Yeah, well just the developer, that was what he was charging and yeah, and then yeah, it was on the iPhone and it didn't work on the Android it sort of for the first day or so. Yeah, but they fixed that up. But she was she was a celebrity there.
Speaker 7: The task couldn't couldn't use it. Android doesn't work on not use it all right? Wow, what an ending to this. Learn something new every day with Leli and his stories. Incredible stuff. Guys, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Keep your questions coming No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com email them in. You can leave your comments in the YouTube comments. You can tweet them in at No Dunks, Inc. Just to remind you again, you got what you need to know. Thursday and Friday you got the Daily Show ten am Eastern live on YouTube and tomorrow night Thursday Night Happy Hour. Everybody joining us? Are you writing like a book or something?
Speaker 4: Or what do you?
Speaker 1: What do you? What aff are you developing? So you said you're comment you're drinking some wine red wine?
Speaker 4: You said, yeah, I've got a little cabinet. I'll j d.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna be drinking some wine tomorrow night during the Happy not wine?
Speaker 6: Now, I got a beer lined up. I'm not gonna spoil it for you. I'm gonna it's yeah, it's not it's it's something. It's off the grid for me.
Speaker 1: You go something happy.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's happy.
Speaker 1: You're not a big fan of the hop, Sorry.
Speaker 6: I'm not the I p as give me a wicked headache, Like yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Now okay, so be careful because we need you for Friday. Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's never it's nothing stops me. But yeah, you're you're right, that's.
Speaker 1: True, you are.
Speaker 6: It's just you know, whether like it just makes it more unpleasant. It's how pleasant it's going to be for me unpleasant?
Speaker 1: So right, right, right, okay, Well that's Happy Hour tomorrow night. Tune in to see Lee drinking a glass of red wine and JD's surprise beer. H can't legit wait for that. Thanks so much for subscribing and liking and commenting on YouTube. Do the same on Apple podcasts. Leave us review, leave us the rating, and we'll see you guys tomorrow with a bunch more classics. Cliver Bros. You heard it here first.
Speaker 3: Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us, and remember we're the real gms here.
Speaker 1: Embrace the day people.
Speaker 6: You could stay every day, Dan happy every day.
Speaker 1: It's been so long that you're the one I've waiting for. It's happened already.
Speaker 5: It's going to be gripping