Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers for Secret Invasion episode six, the series finale, and you're not gonna want to be spoiled.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason and I'm Rosie Night, and welcome to xt Revision, the Crooked Media podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, in the airlock, we're digging into Secret Invasion episode six. We made it, guys, can you believe it? We've reached the finale. The finale is here. The finale is over, so we're gonna talk about it. We have endured, we have endured, and we have survived. And in nerd out a theory on the possible MCU connections spinning out of Secret Invasion.
Speaker 1: Coming up next Secret Invasion episode six. We're stepping out of the airlock for the finale of Secret Invasion episode six home directed by Ali Salim, written by Kyle Bradstreet and Brian Tucker, and we open with Vara leaving the shootout. I think from the episode, there's scroll blood all over the place, and she's got her little gun toning backpack and she's leaving and she gets a call from her legal husband, Nick Fury Nicolas. He says, hey, I'm going away shortly.
Speaker 3: Why like this every time?
Speaker 1: Apparently he never calls her, That's why she answered the phone. She's like, this must be serious.
Speaker 3: She's like, oh, he guess he's getting too space again.
Speaker 1: Also, did they unintentionally reference I will survive? Is this like all an unintentional reference to the lyrics if I will survive? Anyway? So he says, yes, I'm going to space, and Vera's like, no, you should, you should stick around, and he's like, no, okay. At New scroll Os, a car rolls up.
Speaker 4: To the gate.
Speaker 1: The guards are like stop the guards who are Scrolls who are disguised as humans, as Russians. This car doesn't stop, so they open fire on it. They just perforate this car, and then they walk up to it. There's no one in the car, and then all of a sudden, two other gun shots ring out, and now the Scroll guards are dead. Who is it? It's Nick Fury, back on his I'm a super spy ship and I'm not washed anymore. He's ready.
Speaker 2: He's ready to trick them with the old empty car trick, and then cut to the credits.
Speaker 3: After that shocking reveal.
Speaker 1: At President Ritson's bedside, where again somebody is the shocking paucity of anybody plays around the American president.
Speaker 2: You will never hit me asking for the Secret Service to be in attendance, but in this case, where is the secret Cabinet?
Speaker 3: Like it feels like this is why for his children, I or anyone in it at.
Speaker 1: Least be video linked to like then the Joint Chiefs or something. Because Scroti is here and he's just like like, hey, I know you're going through it right now. You're probably dealing with like a concussion extress disorder shock of like almost dying. But you need to attack Russia and you need to attack this Russian base where the scrolls are and need to do it now.
Speaker 3: Also, wasn't that the plot of the last episode?
Speaker 2: Like this seems like it's slightly reductive, but also I want to know why the president would just still be absolutely buying and like.
Speaker 1: He's on the fence about it. It's like, on the one hand, the missile launching like ships and subs are on the way. On the other hand, he's like, I don't know. It kind of means World War three. Some admiral is like, I don't know, maybe we should just kind of wait and see and scrot He's like, no, no.
Speaker 3: You don't need to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm his number one most trusted advisor.
Speaker 3: I'm the only was in the Avengers.
Speaker 2: His aunt didn't show up when he got shot and then they assassinate him. There hasn't been any kind of web fallout from him being Satiny and the guess who's here rusty And.
Speaker 1: Let me just talk about my roady bonafides iron Man two and three? Uh, how to me heard of it? How about that big fight at the at the German airport in Captain American Civil War. I was very very important in that moment, and I did get paralyzed or is severely injured. Talk more about that later. I was there in Wakanda in Infinity War, remember that, mm hmm. And then I came back after the blitz.
Speaker 2: And the MCU president that we've never seen before. Of course, he's like, oh, that's true, all of that happened. I was definitely that unaware of it.
Speaker 1: So let's snook Russia. Then he's like, and just to prove my point, here's satellite imagery showing Russians moving into either defensive or offensive positions one or both or whatever. Scrodi then hands the President a speech that he's written himself.
Speaker 3: What is going on here? Did he drug the president and just read this shit?
Speaker 2: Girls have like a hypnotic tendency that they can use here.
Speaker 3: I feel like the President's is just going along with it.
Speaker 1: We should ask our founders if you can just walk up to the president and can.
Speaker 3: You read this?
Speaker 2: You just cameras, it's gonna be all over the world, sir. I made sure it had lots of good rhymes.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Fury is making his way into the new scroll Os base and he's finding uh, just scrolls dead everywhere for reasons that we're not sure about.
Speaker 2: Okay, is this scrolls from gravits?
Speaker 3: Little fight?
Speaker 2: Also, this will be a recurring theme in this episode conversation, but like, what is the How can Fury not be impacted by the nuclear radiation that is apparently a thousand times high.
Speaker 1: Taking massive doses and he's like coffee.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, He's like, oh yeah, but that's like that will kill you for a long time.
Speaker 1: I've got a lot of questions about the radiation. Yeah, coming up later, But he is taking damage from the intense radiation of this now defunct nuclear reactor that we are led to surmise is probably Chernobyl and there are a lot of dead scrolls around, possibly I guess killed by Gravic in his ire that anyone would ever question him. Where's Gravic?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Gravic is over by his super scroll machine. That's where Fury finds him. Fury's like gobbling anti radiation pills and graphics like, ha, you don't need that. How about a drink?
Speaker 4: Like it's dah, I'm doing good?
Speaker 3: Yeah and good.
Speaker 1: Gravic is like, hey, you just came here by yourself, like where are the Avengers? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: Like? What up? And Gravic talks about his human form. He's like, this is the you never asked me about this person. This is the first human life I took. I took him on your orders. He had a light, he had a wife and a family, and I killed him. And every time I killed people for you, like it took a part of my soul. And I think that was That's actually something that yes, Ury needs to hear.
Speaker 2: This is like this moment because Kings of Benadeera is also like a really really great actor. If you've seen him in he's doing the most. He's doing the most with this. But like, this was especially a moment where I was like, oh, man, if this had been part of the first episode. And it's about the fact that Fury essentially used They're using a lot of political analogies here about the people that America have trained to kill who then come back and become, you know, terrorists as they're perceived with it by the American state. Like so there's a lot of real life and analogus here that I don't think they give enough depth to. But this is one of those moments where I was like, oh, this could have been what the show is about. Like when he's saying this, he literally took on the form of the first person Fury made him assassinate when he was very young, because he realized that person had a life and a family, and.
Speaker 3: Fury asked him to kill him.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting, And it's literally like thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: He says something really interesting, which is you pimped us, Fury essentially saying, hey, you promised us a homeland and then you used us to commit various espionage activities, including murder, and then you didn't need us. You just kind of like popped us off on everybody else. So Gravic says, here's what I'm gonna do because I'm extremely angry at you.
Speaker 2: And he has passed so many he sells this he is likely, so he really does.
Speaker 1: Everybody is acting their ass off in this.
Speaker 2: They know is the finale, even if we might not know from watching it.
Speaker 3: They know that.
Speaker 1: They give me I'm gonna I'm gonna kill you, Nick Fury, and then I'm gonna genocide the entire human race. So just like be tortured by that knowledge because I'm sorry so bad. Fury then admits, hey, listen, that's on me. It was my bad. I didn't get you guys a home World. My bad. I'll take the l on that one. But I know people are tired of hearing me say this with a blip. Was very disruptive. It messed me up. And also look at this, and then he takes out a vial of the DNA, the Harvest DNA, which we're about to find out is everybody.
Speaker 5: It's not just the Avengers, every Power, every all three hundred people law whoever who showed up at endgame and came through a pull on both the good side and the bad side.
Speaker 3: They are included in the tiny harvesting. I don't know how that works. I'm not a scientist, but.
Speaker 1: That's apparently with a little like a c tic with c tips.
Speaker 2: And then they put it all in the and they were like, oh this, well, this will time me into a super soldiah.
Speaker 1: So Fury is like, here's my deal. You take this vial of DNA and just leave Earth. Okay, like here's you wanted this, Now get out of here. Call the attacks of vac here. While this is going on, someone is taking out all the Secret Service guys around Ritzen with little sleep darts. Of course, it's light and no one can find him. Nobody can see where the guy is. There are probably cameras in the hospital, nobody can see them. It's just like the darts cut out of shadows and then look and there's no one there.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in a city right where where there's always where a politician comes to your city, It happens. Happened in Law Beach when I lived at They shut down your whole city just for a politician who's like walking up to a podium to talk for ten minutes, let alone if the president was an attempted assassinations. Some mysterious person is just out here shooting some darts like they're in Jumanji or something like.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It is shockingly bad security in MCU. I will say this, No, I won't say it because Wj's on strikes. I'm not going to pitch any good ideas. But this should be talked about in the future. This is a good, funny wrecon that you can talk about in the future.
Speaker 1: Ritsin is really shaken up by the fact that all those guys are getting slept all around him, and he's like to his Secret Service guy, like, give me your gun. What's the Secret Service guy going to use? And then but this lets you know that ritsen Is has been whatever his mental state pre the attacks, he clearly like unhinged. Now, yeah, he's the right, I give me the gun. I'll do I'm concussed. I'm in a hospital bed. You're a trained Secret Service agent. I think I may do better than you. Anyway. Soon after, Sonia.
Speaker 3: Who is just god she's here, takes.
Speaker 1: Scrody prisoner because I guess she was behind the door.
Speaker 4: She literally was just hiding behind the door.
Speaker 3: And as she pointed out.
Speaker 2: To him, you didn't even check behind the door, you really are a scroll.
Speaker 1: That was interesting because I guess is the should we take from that that scrolls just never checked things like is that is like a cultural scrull.
Speaker 2: I just like, don't I like the implication here that like that's just they scrolls are just inherently trusting of like lima behind. I think the idea is, as we will talk about more later. I think what they're trying to imply here is like, whoever this scroll is, they haven't been rody for very long, so they don't have that, like they don't have the immedia suspicion and piss annoya and like the things that you would have to do if you were elying the president.
Speaker 1: It's like Timothy Dalton's run as double low seven.
Speaker 3: He he just got there. He just got there, you know.
Speaker 2: And so I think that she's like, Wow, the fact you didn't even check that just prove if I didn't know you were a scroll before I know you on Now that's lucky for you because your finger's not gonna get shopped.
Speaker 1: But if it's this, what if it's so the scroll spend some large portion of their lives like in disguise, right, even when they're not on earth disguise, Like, clearly they have this power, they use it. Natural selection would imply that they need this for a reason, right, So they don't understand hiding with objects because they just hide like.
Speaker 3: All the time. They don't need plain sight.
Speaker 4: That's actually pretty So they don't.
Speaker 1: Understand how to use the landscape.
Speaker 2: They don't usually need to hide because they just hide by taking on a different.
Speaker 1: Fury could just like roll a car towards the gate and then be standing behind a tree and then come out and shoot too trained scroll.
Speaker 2: It was weird, how like they were just so unprepared for that, But I suppose that's just narrative.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I'm certainly hide and seek.
Speaker 3: We took Oh my god. Yeah, I would also watch that.
Speaker 2: What if short like, what if the Scrolls had to play hide and seek for the fate of the universe and they're just terrible at it.
Speaker 4: But also I will say.
Speaker 2: That I think as much as I believe that this finale is a similar quality to the rest of the show, as to say, not the best offering of the MCU, I do think in the culture of comics, and we've talked about this a lot. One of the best things is when you make a comic, or when you make a comic book, TV show, or even when you join a long running TV show or a shared universe, you're essentially collaborating with the people who came before, and there is a lot of fun seeds here that could be expanded on. Like I think a lot about how when we when we interviewed Jessica Gow about Sheehawk, and she talked about that gag where they were just.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, the Covi Accords don't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: That felt like such a huge reveal, but that was just something that she like pitched to Kevin Faigi, And I think that there's a lot of stuff here that, while we're kind of coming at it with these outrageous questions in our mind, because there is a lot of really silly stuff going on, you could have a lot of fun building on those like choices.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, And I think, you know, one of the strengths of the MCU and in comics in general is for that exact thing, the ability to go back and go there's a thing that's weird or humb or maybe didn't come up quite work. How can I come up with something to make that work and make that cool and yet that weird and interesting. You know, we were just talking beforehand about how for the Dark World was for its time like probably the world ye most malign most and then it became weirdly one of the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also people I got a cult following, and I have seen people online. There've been articles by people who think this is actually a really good show and they love the change of pace. So it's gonna find that cult following, as these things always do. And I do think a lot of these things that in the context of the show didn't land could be really interesting and fun to expand on in the future.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back and we're back. Gravit then puts the DNA in the little loader of his machine and then we see like all the names come up on the screen and it's legit. Everybody where are soldiers, Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel, Stephen Strange Coorg like.
Speaker 3: Like everyone, even the people that you don't care about, the ice giants from.
Speaker 1: Like Malfe and all just random as guardians, Like everybody is in there. So graphic powers up the machine with Fury like dying of radiation poison inside.
Speaker 2: I guess he thought that it would kill him because he's a human human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess Star Trek two kind of yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So then it turns off and then super Gravic is now like a super duper Scroll. He was already he already had like the beta version of four different powers. Now he is like, I don't know, three dozen at least, you know, and he starts beating Fury's.
Speaker 2: And he just gets really hench, which is really funny. He's just I think they wanted they wanted that more.
Speaker 3: Like cut like, he's just a super scroll.
Speaker 2: He's just a really buff scroll and he's not just like beating Fury and you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, dear aripizza Nick Fury. But there's us problem.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden, Fury catches the fist and guess what, it's Guya who because she remained in the machine, got like fifty percent of the set.
Speaker 2: Least roll maybe all of them. Yeah, she got a lot of powers. She already had the four powers, but now she has the more powers.
Speaker 1: So we get the big s fight.
Speaker 2: Now she starts it with Nick Fury having a hulkom, which is like one of the funniest things that's ever happened in them you and will definitely become like a hilarious mean before she's revealed to be Guya.
Speaker 1: And just in the first like fifteen seconds of this fight, you get ghosts, teleportation powers from and in the Wasp, but Bomination, cor A, Frost Giant, on and on and on. They're just battling it out back at the hospital. Fury, real Fury, real Fury. Now we understand is Outscroty to the President is like, that guy's a scroll. I know he looks like roads, but it's not roads. Also, lots of high ranking politicians all around the globe they're scrolls. And then he put He's like, hey, and by the way, President Ritten, if you nuke k new scrullers, all the real versions of those very important people are gonna die because that's where they keep them on ice. And that means also James Rhodes Machine Roady will be killed because all this they're all there scrody. Meanwhile, I was like, no.
Speaker 3: I'm a human, bro. I love being human. It's so great.
Speaker 1: This guy's crazy, man, stay like, stay the course, pres like, listen, let's.
Speaker 3: Just do it. It will be really fun. We haven't we been through so much together.
Speaker 1: It's like, do it, dude, just forget all that stuff and let's do it. Then we get more powers. We go back to the fight we ebny Ma. There's some good ebony Ma action here, which I think again is just like straight up the assets right from.
Speaker 3: Me, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: It has to be.
Speaker 1: Captain marvels an extended Captain Marvel sequence. Then Guya uses Mantis's empathy powers to put Graviic to sleep, and uh, eventually she punches a hole in his guts with her Captain Marvel strength, which I mean, she's You could make a very very easy argument that she's now the most powerful person.
Speaker 2: I have seen many people saying that I agree to a point, but also I'm like, I hope they don't go that route, because it would just be like we need to fill exactly and like, well, if you use someone else's powers against them, like the MCU hasn't necessarily been had a great record of adapting powers like that, because like task Masters one of the coolest Marvel Comics characters, and the version they did wasn't necessarily extremely accurate to the impact of Taskmaster in the comics, so I'll be interested to see.
Speaker 4: But for now, she's definitely the most powerful person in the show.
Speaker 1: And to be to be fair to the show, Marvel has also never really given us like the limits of scroll power.
Speaker 2: Like oh no, no, no, I mean even this is the funniest thing to keep this up. Like also from the very earliest episode in the discord online between ourselves on the show this I think one of the biggest problems the show struggled with is they have not set out any kind of rules about like how how.
Speaker 4: Do the Scroll's powers work?
Speaker 2: How are they not already ruling the earth if they have these limitless powers? How long have the Scrolls had the powers? How long have they had those humans in there? We will get to this, but as Nick ash, who came on the podcast to talk about Spider Man India, pointed out in a text to me, when I woke up this morning, how does everybody who's in Nu scrollos who's a human not have horrible radiation poisoning and have already died?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to put a pin in that, because we're about to talk about so back at the hospital, Fury shoots Scrody and he turns into a fucking scroll and Ritson's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh shit, he really was a scrub.
Speaker 1: I call off the nukes Guya. Back in New Scrollos goes down free the prisoners. And to your point, they've all been down there for months, weeks, years, shouldn't they all be dead? Be fucking like ghoules, they would go out games. Yeah, taking massive amounts of radiation over time, just like absorbing radiation show.
Speaker 2: I have read Raymond briggs iconic comic book When the Wind Blows. I have seen that disturbing ass cartoon movie. It's iconic.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this for free. Way that's a viving down there, even for like three days, Like this doesn't.
Speaker 4: Make any sense.
Speaker 2: And also I wonder if narratively you'll be like, well, the scrolls have a way of keeping them alive.
Speaker 1: I think that we're going to get that scrolls had the vest radiation.
Speaker 2: Well, that would change the whole course of the world. So I hope that we get a fallout from that pun intended.
Speaker 1: So we see among the notables are Colonizer every I.
Speaker 3: Was really hoping he was dead. I didn't need him to come.
Speaker 1: To Rody, and we learned that Roady has apparently been down there for what is termed.
Speaker 3: A long long time. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: I'll say this everybody else when they get up is they're shaky, you know, but they have no problem. He's still like limping. I wonder if it's like post Civil war, like in the wake of Civil War.
Speaker 2: They got him, that's crazy, and they just had to keep replacing different people like that.
Speaker 1: Scroll was probably too messed up to a role, so they got Tivity Dalton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of questions coming out of this about the real and I guess they set it up with the end that you could potentially end up in a situation where it was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, the scrolls.
Speaker 2: You know, we're going to do a hearing on the scroll so you can say, like, who, how long were.
Speaker 3: You in there? The scroll?
Speaker 4: New scrollers for like.
Speaker 2: Roady, who was wearing those fancy Iron Man pants that Tony Stark wore for you like.
Speaker 3: Was it you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Was it a scroll?
Speaker 4: Do scrolls have that technology?
Speaker 2: And is that then going to be the source of conflict in Armor Wars, which we've always been wondering how they were going to do it. I would hope they go for a more back to basics vibe for arm Awards, because one of my favorite comic arts of all time, and I don't think it needs.
Speaker 3: The secret invasion touch.
Speaker 2: But I'm very interested because it seems like Roady is the one who's most like, what the fuck's going on?
Speaker 1: I would imagine, I mean, who knows what they'll do. I think a kind of cool effectiveness would be that Rody's career is probably fucked because people are going to be like, well, yes, you were being impersonated by a scroll, but now nobody trusts him, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so this in a way, this is actually the closest that we've gotten to real secret invasion. Is like now people know this is going to happen, because, as we will get to in a minute, Ritzen is an unhinged maniact like.
Speaker 1: N is eating red meat.
Speaker 2: He's folks gone wild, and he is like obviously going to start this kind of secret invasion fallout star War where it's like you can't trust anyone. Rody was a scroll. Everyone was a scroll, So that could be the fallout we get. That's much closer to the comics, Yes that you know than this.
Speaker 1: So Ritson makes a speech in his hospital room and not clear if it's the one that Scrody wrote for him or if he put edits on.
Speaker 2: Off the Dome's freestyl.
Speaker 1: It's a cipher from President Whinson and he's got some bangers in there. He says something to the effect of, we know how to find you. We will hunt every last one of you down, and we will kill every last one of you. Imagine the American president going on television and just saying flat out We're gonna kill you all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the most bonkers things, because especially something we've been talking about is like, it doesn't really feel like there's been a good scope in this show shown of like how people would react to another alien invasion post the Chatari. You feel like it would be like a global news frenzy. But this has been incredibly interior. So now not only is it like he's going on and he's not like my fellow Americans, like I'm here to tell you of a shape shifting alien threat.
Speaker 3: But we also have allies within this community. He's like, Bro, there's aliens. I'm gonna kill them. He's every Alien.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter if you're a Scroll, doesn't matter, if you're Chatari, doesn't matter, if you're Captain Marvel, doesn't matter if you're.
Speaker 4: Create like you're getting killed.
Speaker 1: No, He's like, He's like, the came for me, and that's it. They fucked up because I'm still alive. So fucking around and find out, fuck around and find out every scroll out there. What are you gonna do when you go to sleep and I'm still trying to murder you, You better sleep with one eye open because President Ritson is coming. Fury finally apologizes to his wife Vara for years and years and years and years of not calling, of not hanging out, of basically neglecting her, and he basically admits in a kind of a very very roundabout way that he loves her for who she is the not the disguise she puts on. Sonya recruits Gaya to whatever sis her New Ork.
Speaker 2: No, No, I have to say, I did think this was missing. This is one of those moments where I feel like they kind of they forget what makes people excited about the MCU, because she essentially it looks like, I guess they shake hands, but it looks like she's almost handing her a cod and I was like, oh, is it gonna say like am I three? Like is it gonna be be like a connection to this organization, but it's more of just like an acknowledged like okay, And I did like, of course, Olivia Kleman has been the highlight of this show to me, and I kind of liked the moment where she said, like, let's not mess up like your father and Fury did and make it about friendship and love.
Speaker 3: Let's just use each other and.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna use you and you're gonna use me, and hopefully that will end with us being in a situation where our people are safe. And I thought that was a good character moment. But I feel like, again in the odd days, you would have got like a shield.
Speaker 3: Card or something, you know.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was something missing there to tell people what to expect.
Speaker 3: I think it's because with Guya.
Speaker 2: They've essentially created like it. People thought that Amelia was maybe gonna be like Varianki, like the scroll embersors, so they've kind of put themselves in a situation of crafting a very new vision of a Scroll leader that they, I guess don't necessarily have a lot to point in the direction of like this is what's coming next.
Speaker 1: Fury then called written on the phone and it's like, hey man, crazy speech that you made. I'm watching you. You better watch it because that speech has inspired like militias around the globes just like gunned down.
Speaker 3: People just kill him.
Speaker 1: Journalists and uh and politicians and some of them are scrolls, true, but then others are like not and you just.
Speaker 3: Some of them are like chill scrolls who didn't want to invade you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now all the now, all the good scrolls are like going over to the other side and this is just like all bad uh, and we need to stop this.
Speaker 4: Also, can I.
Speaker 2: Just say, whos among us can call the President of America and be like you better watch out and like threaten his life and Nick Fury's still just standing like again severe security issues around President Ritza and like really bad.
Speaker 1: So then and by the way, that could have been in my opinion, you can have fixed that with just like you show Fury with like a cell phone and he puts like some gadget.
Speaker 2: On yeah, yeah, yeah, something like yeah earlier you see Ritzy and give him a bonafide He's like, you're the only one who I trust or somebody anyway.
Speaker 1: So ritz AND's like, well, if you love scroll so much, then tell them to get the fuck off my planet. My planet is a little presumptuous. We see that Sonya and Gaya their first kind of mission, I.
Speaker 3: Guess that's just happening right now.
Speaker 1: It's just happening right now is to like find all the scroll labs where I guess it would. They don't really go into us. But apparently what Gravic had been doing is he had all these like storage facilities of I guess, powerful smart people, and he was just like brain draining and taking on their memory, like how maybe like you, how to do things.
Speaker 2: Some of them were really small and powerful, and some of them were like civilians, because that would explain how the scrolls had so many different faces, like and so many different personalities that they could kind of drop in and out of. But yeah, that was an unexpected ending that I didn't necessarily understand the impact of. But basically, there's a lot more scrolls and humans being harvested for scroll stuff than you thought, right.
Speaker 1: And she and Sonya says, this is how the enemy got so good and you know these rooms are just like there's like two hundred people just asleep, farting ino.
Speaker 3: Oh, it would stink terrible.
Speaker 2: Also, like what about like if they need to like pee and stuff, they just exactly I think it would be really bad.
Speaker 3: It would be terrible to be in that room.
Speaker 4: ID.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go there.
Speaker 1: Fury is then gonna take Ritson's advice himself and leave the planet. So he's like, Okay, I'm gonna leave his spaceship. You see a light come down.
Speaker 2: That's wrong with this man though, Like, honestly, I want to go back to space.
Speaker 4: Ending of this if.
Speaker 2: You've if you've ever watched the extremely popular American sitcom called ALF, about the alien life.
Speaker 1: Form that a cat eating alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cat eating alien who lives with a family, I just want to say, the end of this episode really looks like the kind of finale of ALF, where he's like gonna escape to his family.
Speaker 3: So I feel like they were really lead they were like ALF.
Speaker 2: That's a high bar of quality for prestige television. But I just need to say Nick Fury Cara Danvers same problem. I understand why they get a along so well. Yeah, both of these people just go off to space anytime their family needs them.
Speaker 4: They're like, fuck you, peace out, I'm going to space.
Speaker 2: Carol Danver's girlfriend, Monica Rambo's mom, She's like, I've been raising our child here, Like, what's going on. I understand, just as a disclaimer with an asterisk, they are not clinically girlfriends, but I've seen the movie, so I know that they're in love.
Speaker 3: And like, even as a friend, she's like, Hey, what's going on.
Speaker 2: I spent like all my years of my life raising my door and people thinking I'm crazy because I've been saying you're still out there. And Carol's like, must suck for you. I got to go back into space. Nick Fury his wife, his secret wife. He hasn't seen him for like five six years. He's like, oh, sorry, I know I'm back now, but I guess I've got to go back to space again.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back for a quick and punchy take on the state of the world and how much longer it can hang on. Look no further than Crooked Media is what a day newsletter. In just a few minutes, you'll be up to speed on the day's top news stories, as well as stories that may have gone under your race are subscribed to the what a Day newsletter at criocket dot com slash daily. And we're back. So he's about to go back to space, but then Varra pulls up uh, and he's like, why don't come with me. Let's just like we this is long overdue. Let's just go back to space. Let's like have a vacation in space. You're from space, I've been living in space. Let's just do this together. And she's like, no, my work is here is too important, which I took to me and she didn't really explain it, but I took that to mean like binding the wounds of the scroll people through some kind of.
Speaker 2: Leaders maybe taking accountability for like being part of graphics life and kind of like trying to make things right.
Speaker 1: She then takes on her scroll form and he tells her that he loves her the way she is, and they kiss and she looks like a scroll and then after saying that my work here is too important, she then gets on the spaceship with Nick.
Speaker 2: You're romantic honeymoon they made for each other. She's like, also, peace out, I don't care about these sculls.
Speaker 1: To me, why did why in the one line earlier does she say my work here is too important And then the very next thing that happens is she's getting beamed up with Nick Togever.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess the implication is like Nick is more important than her work. But also like, one, this is a very toxic relationship. I just did to say, like they do not treat each other.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Two, Nick Furrey, you can't just go back to space like you just started a scroll human war.
Speaker 3: The president just declared war on scrolls. You case it out.
Speaker 1: The President is saying we will kill every single alien on that.
Speaker 2: And Nick Fury was like he came down and he was like, well, guess I've admitted I'll never find a home for scrolls. So I'm gonna go back up to space now while the President tries to kill everyone.
Speaker 3: This seems really bad. And also like what about the Avengers. Just give him a call.
Speaker 2: You didn't even have to pay Chris Evans to pick up the phone and record something over the phone like he was stephen An eric In like a talking cat, right, You could have just you could have just literally had a phone call of Nick Fury being like, I really messed up like, I'm gonna need you guys to come and clean up. But now we just went to space on a romantic honeymoon.
Speaker 3: Tatos is dead.
Speaker 1: He's gonna make Taylors can I okay, so I have here's a dangling thread that I was so sure was foreshadowing and then wasn't. So I don't understand why it's in this. But when Nick and Sonya were talking about the Widow's Veil and oh my gosh, She's like, why don't you get the kind that does the whole body? They have that now and he's like, no, but this is the beta version. They do have that new one, but I don't have it. It seemed like, okay, here we're gonna get here.
Speaker 3: He's gonna sneak in his guy out.
Speaker 2: And I know also as well, like it just makes Chekhov's veil. Yeah, it makes no sense because like that was something you'd spoken about really early on in the series.
Speaker 3: Oh, how are they gonna use the veil?
Speaker 2: They literally have a power that can give them the same power as scrolls, And we see a music one's going through an airport and then it's just like, oh, there's even a more fancy one. That you could use it changes your whole body. That sounds useful. No, there's not useful. There's no foreshadowing, and instead we're gonna get Guya.
Speaker 3: Pretending to be Nick Fury.
Speaker 1: It was very strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I think here's the thing that I think could be cool in the wake of this is clearly the scrolls need leadership. Guya, I guess would be the natural one Vara if she comes back from space with Nick. But like you know, we've now like established this like center of policination, this nasignation of scrolls. There's still upwards of a million of them on the planet. Like that's a cool like center of power to be reckoned with going forward into the MCU when we know that they're gonna unveil mutants sooner or later. There's now all these other kind of powered folks who can influence events, and I think if they really tap into that, that could be kind of cool.
Speaker 3: That could be cool.
Speaker 2: It should be like a world shifting change for the MCU, because this is essentially going to establish what the original Secret Invasion comics established, which is like people won't trust heroes because scrolls can have hero powers. So that's really cool, But honestly that should have been established in the show, not as a potential going forward.
Speaker 1: Who was the like the mainstream scroll politician who in full scroll form goes on TV and is like, Hey, I know, you guys are scared of us, but actually we've been like doing really important shit for the American government for years, Like we put together the Avengers. Basically we put Nick Fury like into the leadership of We did all this stuff, and we're your friends, and we're here to live amongst you. We can live in abandoned nuclear power plants and like radioactive dom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't even need to take your housing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can live where like where the worst toxic chemicals are. We just put us there and can we live there. That would be a very interesting wrinkle going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very interested to see where they go with it, especially because they went so far from the comics with this one.
Speaker 3: It will be really interesting to see.
Speaker 2: And this once again, if we're talking about long term you know you mentioned mutants, this is gonna or it could, I won't say definitely. This could establish more of that hate and fear that you need for the X Men to exist. You have Ritzen who's an anti alien president who soon will probably become an anti powered people president once he learns about the super Scrolls, and then you end up in a situation where you could do I think part of the reason that Figi and co were cool with Jessica erasing the Socovia records is so you could really have like a mutant Registration Act and stuff like that. So it will be very interesting to see where it goes. But also I read there was a great article at Marvel dot com by Meghan more about it was like an oral history of the Secret Invasion comics, and in it I learned that Brian Miles really it's really good.
Speaker 3: And it's so so in depth, And one of.
Speaker 2: My favorite things I learned was that Brian Michael Bendis wanted to originally call the book just scrolls.
Speaker 3: With an exclamation point. They should have just called this show Scrolls and.
Speaker 2: Then like you leave Secret Invasion for whenever you do it like it's it's it's a truly. One of the biggest flaws, I believe is using a comic that, even for people who weren't in comic shops, that is one of those comics where you know.
Speaker 3: What it was.
Speaker 1: It was a really cool one. I remember when it was unfurling. At the time, it was really cool. Here's another here's another wrinkle for you. What if, like, the first mutant that gets out it is mystique because everybody's already so Scrolls and sheep shifters, right, So all of a sudden they discover the shape shifter that's not the alien. We only ever seen Loki really be able to stuff like this.
Speaker 2: And like that, and most people like don't necessarily know that he is like this god like car.
Speaker 3: He's in the Avengers Crew.
Speaker 1: So what if it's that they like flush out mystique and then all of a sudden it's like, oh, what the tell? There's That's a pretty good call.
Speaker 2: Also, I do wonder if there's some way that this ties in with the Marvels, because even though those characters are not shape shifters, we are going to see in the wake of this scroll invasion. We are then going to see these three characters who keep transforming into each other. And if that was perceived by a public who knew about Scrolls, they may believe that they are shape shifters. And today I'm going to put a mild spoiler, Well, a big spoiler warning here if you haven't read your Marvel comics yet today, but by the time on Friday you listen to this, hopefully you will. They revealed today that shot Horror Kamala Khan is alive, as we knew.
Speaker 3: Thanks, yea, we were right.
Speaker 2: But also like Imman Vallani who plays Miss Marvel, she's right co writing the comics and that was announced recently. And the interesting thing there is she's going to be mutant and inhuman, So I think we could also see something coming in where the inhumans do get to be a part of the mc You and I think the Marvels could be that big important story that people have kind of been waiting for this year within the MCU.
Speaker 4: So it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: You think Written is hot, Now wait until he finds out that there are aliens on the Moon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just chilling. There a very weird.
Speaker 2: Monarchy and they can give people powers with a special mist Written will be very stressed up next nerd Out. In today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why, a theory you're excited to share, or a quick question we can answer, Tarn offers a very timely.
Speaker 3: Secret invasion theory.
Speaker 1: Let's hear it.
Speaker 2: I have a nerd out question slash possible theory about secret invasion and Shee Holk. In Sheeholk, we were led to believe Hulk King is trying to get Jen's blood. Is it possible the Scrolls want her DNA or a whole powers too close to the strength Scrolls already have. It just feels like someone trying to steal Jen's DNA is too similar to the Scrolls using DNA to become super Scrolls. Love listening to you guys, Love the podcast, Taren. I love this question.
Speaker 1: Yes, because she Hulk was.
Speaker 2: Not in the end game Battle for Earth.
Speaker 3: So it would make sense.
Speaker 1: It would make a lot of.
Speaker 2: Somebody may have been involved with the Scrolls plan. And because Jen is stronger we learn in seaholk It she can control it. So if you were gonna have a whole DNA, she would be the better, more useful DNA to have.
Speaker 1: I love the idea that that there are other Scrolls in other shows that we just have not exactly we have not unveiled yet. I still believe that Kingpin is a scroll.
Speaker 2: It would make so much sense with how he came in with those powers.
Speaker 1: So I love that theory. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's so fun, Taran. I think this could be a we were right for the ages, so we'll have to see soon. And if you have theories, passions, or a quick question that you want to share, hit us up at x ray at crooker dot com. Instructions in the show notes.
Speaker 1: That's it for us, Rosie any plugs.
Speaker 2: You can find me here on Xtravision. You can read my newsletter which is Rosie Recommends. You can find the link to that at my Instagram which is Rosie Marx, and you can read cool comics that I've read if you go to my website, which is Rosie night dot com.
Speaker 1: That's the next episode of Xtrovision Wednesday, August second, when we'll be talking about Invincible season two and other stuff.
Speaker 2: You can watch full episodes of the podcast on YouTube. You can also check out our Twitter at xrvpod and our discord to hang out with cool fans who love all the same stuff as you.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star reviews you gotta give in to us. Here's one from ABEEB two, my favorite podcast. I've been a fan of Jason for a long time, and candn't ask for a better co host than Rosie Love y'all's energy and chemistry and deep comic Star Wars knowledge. Here so you guys break my day and make me smile every time. Acrops.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin and executive produced by me Jason Concepcion. Our editing at sound design is by Facillis Fatopoulos. Video production by Delon Villanueva and Rachel Gaieski. Social media by Awa Oklatti and Caroline Dunfie. Thank you to Brian Basquez for our theme, See you next time. Since you enjoy listening to us, we would like to recommend a new podcast you may like. Still Watching from award winning television critics at Vanity Fair takes you into the fabulous and fun world of And Just Like That. Joined Vanity Fairs Richard Laws and Hillary Bosis and Chris Murphy as they recap each episode of the iconic Sex and the City Update whether you love It, Whether you Hate It. Each Thursday, Still Watching will feature a lively discussion of and Just Like that plus interviews with the stars of the show. Make sure you're following, still watching, Available now where you get your podcasts.