Speaker 1: To on remove Golm deep speedles peas do. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's got my ad hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show it is combine work. We're off to Indianapolis taking a look at athletes running around and spandex and short shorts, going nanners on all the crazy workouts they do and what that could do for the complexion of the draft. Plus sound bites for Daniel Jeremiah's Thursday conference call, some thoughts on those, plus latest Dolphins news like some different releases that happened over the weekend slash end of the week, and some ideas about free agency, the salary cap, and a whole lot more. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drivetime Podcast. Ye daffy, sirs, And just like that, we are off to Indianapolis. By the time you guys hear this, I'm probably wheels up en route to the scouting combine en route. Let's go ahead and get you prepared for what the week will look like. So I'm not exactly sure how many shows we're going to do. This is another one of those situations where I often want to work more than I'm allowed to. It's a beauty of having a job that you love. I get to all the time. Hey, back it down, man, Just chill out and do three shows, like I kind of want to do five shows. So probably gonna be five because that's what I want to do. I know there will be one tomorrow, the rare Tuesday off season show because Mike McDaniel speaks, will also have one on Wednesday, your normally scheduled programming because Chris Greer Speaks. Will get tons, tons of fresh new Dolphins nuggies like I have for you guys today coming up. Plus I will also have interviews recorded by that time with the Great Daniel Jeremiah Whoops, and I have so many questions that I'm fired up to ask him. I'm just fired up to be here, you know, Jordan Reid and Matt Miller to name a few. So we'll get those episodes out to you by Tuesday and Wednesday evening there will be at least one more episode later on in the week, could be Thursday, could be Friday. Maybe beep yourself to quote Mark Wahlberg in The Departed. I'll have plenty of stuff, just organizing how it all looks. Plus we'll talk to Kyle Krabs, I'll talk to the bootleg guys. I've got Brad Spielberger, the Gap, Gap Cap, and freakin' you know, free agency expert, the Guru. Thats what I might say, Guru with Cap on the front gee for Cap turns into Gap.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm on like my second coffee. It's nine thirty in the morning, and I have to do this. I have to pack, I have to take some clothes back that I bought at the mall. Who goes to the mall anymore? So I'm feeling a little bit weird, and I have to thee all this time, like in five hours. So bear with me here. So we're gonna get to all those interviews. We'll also have some sound bye from players at their podiums, some general draft content that you're used to on this podcast, and before any of that, on this Monday, I'm feeling weird, man. I thought Daniel Jeremiah's conference call last week was great, as it always is, So I do want to play you guys some highlights from that podcast. We'll also get to our Combine preview, but first, I think this will be the segment that you guys like the most on this show. And I saw some of the comments on the reviews about the shack was released. Yeah, you're right about that, and it's been fun. I'm having a lot of fun getting back to more opinion and more you know, just being myself with you guys in the show here and with that, I want to talk about some elements of the upcoming off season. It's just a couple of weeks away, guys. Freezency, like on my favorite times a year, is right around the corner. We're also going to have Washington State in the NSA Tournament this year. We'll also have the new net the second season of Full Swing as the golf heusing kicks off with the Players Championship really getting into full here. It's a fun time of year. So I start here by talking about these salary cap news that came down the wire. Was it Friday or Thursday? I can't remember. I think it was Friday's I had already published the podcast, but maybe I didn't. I don't know. Once again, Mark Wahlberg, go, you know, stuff yourself. So the cap is going, it is, it's official now going to be around two hundred and fifty million dollars this year, the largest increase, I believe in the last I don't know, the last twenty years or whatever, the biggest jumping and salary cap like thirteen percent increase in what it was the year prior. And what that means, so essentially, what that means is the percentage of the top tier contracts is going to go way up. What else that means is the second tier of free agency is going to really suffer. From a player's perspective, they're going to get less money because the bigger chunk of the pie, as it does in this league, goes to quarterbacks and the top paid premier players at premier positions. So Christian Wilkins contract ask probably just went up. Robert Hunts probably just went up a little bit. But you know what's nice about it is a lot of guys in the market that I think that we're gonna live on. They're going to be at an even more reduced cost right now. And I'm talking about a Deshaun Elliott you can bring back. I'm talking about probably an Andrew Van Ginkle you can bring back. I'm talking about maybe even Isaiah Win who maybe can't, maybe doesn't get a contract right away, Ryb he has to come back here on a one year, two million dollar deal and scept in August. You know, I'm not that's just speculation and speaking to the future, but those are the kind of players that are going to be hit the most by this in terms of the bigger chunk of the pie going upwards. But ma'am, that's where you want to live because I see these complaints, and you know, I see Kyle's discord from Lockdown Dolphins and the complaints about Chris career, and I never understand the criticisms there. I get the whole hasn't won a playoff game thing, but like those aren't those I mean, that's use your process to figure out why we haven't won those playoff game because the roster, the trade acquisitions, the drafting, like free agency hasn't been great for us, but the rest of it has been really good. In roster What am I looking for here? And roster construction, and so you know, I keep seeing this arguments about like, oh, this one move means that Chris career is done a bad job. Like Byron Jones for instance. You know a five year pro who had made all pro teams and missed one game and once popped his kneecap back into place after dislocation mid game and kept on going, like I swear some of the foresight or some of the comments I see and their expectation of foresight for players you acquire, like it's wild to think that that was like some move like oh, how could he ever sign Byron Jones? We were fired up about Byron Jones when he got signed. But the nice part is, and I keep saying this, and if you won't take my word for it, I constantly refer to people that know about this frankly better than I do. You know, never have been much of a cap or contract guy, because sometimes when I stare at numbers, it makes my freaking brain hurt. Words. I have the best ways, a head, many moods, but numbers I can't do it. But I do believe that understanding your shortcomings is a strength. But I digress. So the Dolphins build in this flexibility into the contracts they do every single year they are one of the most risk adverse, but also put themselves in position to take risk because of how they structure contracts. And we'll talk to Brad Spielberger of PFF about this later on this week. But I look back to the Kyle van Ney and Shack loss In contracts. They got out of those deals after one year, and it wasn't very punitive to Miami. Now, the one bad contract the Dolphins gave out recently was the Xavian Howard redo. But that's kind of like an Exaviing Howard issue, right, we'll talk about that here in just one second. And when you constantly shop at the top of the market, you're going to have stuff like this happen because you wind up paying in free agency like thirty cents on the dollar. When you live in the Mike McGlinchey in the Christian Kirk world of paying seventeen million dollars for the thirty fifth best receiver in the National Football Did you feel me on that? So that's not where I want to live. I want to live in Tier two and get my impact players like Mike Deshaun Elliott's, you know in this instance, and Andrew Van Ginkle because Gink is deserving a big money. I think we all agree on that, but comparative to the top pass rushers, it's not going to be twenty million, right, it's not going to be fifteen. It's not going to be ten million. Most likely maybe eight that sounds about right. But that's second tier money for an edge rusher. So that's where you want to live, and especially bringing guys back in your own program. Real quick, let's go ahead and divert here because we've got some news over the weekend. Emmanuel Agba, who was probably the first guy to like really develop a true friendship with me outside of the actual football. He got here in twenty twenty, so did I, and we became pretty good buddies there. So Emmanuel Agba has been released by the Miami Dolphins. Great two years for him. The last two years of his ten year in Miami didn't really work out, but he was a really really good, really important player almost twenty and twenty one rosters and I'm gonna miss having around really really good dude Xavien Howard. The Dolphins will release him with a post June one designation, per reports that one's notofficial yet, And just like that, through those two moves and the salary cap jumping up to two hundred and fifty million dollars when we were fifty two million dollars over the cap four days ago. It's been reduced by more than half twenty five million dollars over the cap now. So like I told you guys this right, and it's gonna keep going that way. You're gonna lop off some more parts that give you more flexibility. You're gonna see more extensions like Tua's extension will knock the number down a little bit. And the nice thing about drafting, well, you have other extensions that you can execute which would achieve the same goal of shifting cap down the line. Now, is that a great process when it comes to eight years down the road? Maybe not. Maybe you have to take another twenty nineteen year, another twenty nineteen pill in you know, a certain year would be let's let's say, in eight years from now, Tua gets injured, Like, okay, take your pill and let's go ahead and reset the books right here. But like that's way down the road. So you can achieve this idea of creating more space and more flexibility, which I don't I'm not advocating for for top of the line free agents just forgetting my no offense of the world.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But you can do this with Jalen Waddle, with Jalen Phillips, They're gonna get paid, right. That's the business of drafting good and doing so at premium spots. It'll affords you the chance to get those players in twenty four and twenty five for pretty cheap if you I want to backload those deals because I trust that both Waddle and Phillips are going to be Dolphins lifers. But even still, again, just because you have the money, man, do not live at the top of the free agent market because it is thirty maybe forty cents on the dollar. And actually, I do want to put a pin in that because it sounds like a full episode to me exploring past top of the market contracts. Like again, I mentioned Christian Kirk earlier. I think Christian Kirk's a very good football player. I loved him when he got drafted out of A and M I thought the Jaguars spent way too much on him, even though I think he's an important player for that team and a very good player in the perspective of the national Football league. Is he a seventeen million dollar player? I don't think so. It's not good business by the very nature of it, by its very core description. So that's kind of my diatribe here about free agency, available money, the GM, all that stuff, the cap going up. But also just a couple more notes here. Don't be surprised if that nugget was floated out there about xaviing Howard with the idea of potentially trading him at the new league year, Like why not say, hey, Houston, he wants to be there. You need a veteran corner alongside Derek Stingley. Why not give us a sixth round draft pick and take some less money off of our hands. That could happen, or maybe you give him a six round draft pick, like whatever the case may be. You could get yourself out of that penalty a little bit with a bad contract, which, by the way, back on that again, the demands of that guy were very infuriating throughout the whole process. Refuse to take a pay cut the time around, Like not a lot of love lost there, right, I mean, great player for the Dolphins for a long time, but that situation was, you know, getting himself an off off field trouble. I'm kind of glad to be out of that headache. I just don't really care for that type of stuff. Give me a saint, give me a two, you know, Christian Wilkins. This the last note I have on here before. Actually, no it's not. That's a lie. But I did put Christian Wilkins in my notes here because I've thought about this over the weekend, and the extra money we got from the salary cap bump makes me think that's a slam dunk deal, and I've moved my opinion to I have to have him back, non negotiable, give him what he wants. I need him back because going from two hundred and thirty eight projected cap to two hundred and fifty will probably raise his price a little bit. But that's also two players. Because Christian Wilkins plays eight hundred, nine hundred snaps a year out of year one thousand, year eleven hundred that you play, that's two players. I mean, Ray Kwan Davis is a four or five hundred snap player, Like, you want to get two of those guys. If you open up Christian Wilkins, you're gonna have to go get two new players. And the chances of both those guys hitting and giving you production at the level kommesrate that you paid them with is not great. If I pay Christian, I know exactly what I'm getting. I have him and Zach Seeler. I basically don't have to worry about defensive tackle depth because they never leave the field, they never get hurt, They're tough as hell, and they fight through everything, and they're phenomenal football players. I would not break that up. I mean, those two guys are so valuable to this team, and especially with the situation the way it is right now, definitely do that. And so that's why those are the kind of players I wouldn't mind spending the twenty million plus on because they're not important products that you have to figure out if they work in your program. You know, Christian Wilkins works here. He has his routine down. He's gonna kick his shirt from the shower all the way to the locker. One of my favorite player quirks of all time. After he gets out of the shower after practice, he's got his talent, his slides on, and he kicks his T shirt from the shower all the way back to his locker with a very slow crawl walk. It's hilarious. The guy is one of my favorite human beings because of how weird he is. I just love that. So get him back in the building. I expect that to happen sooner than later. So just on top of all that, like I keep seeing this this is last how here before we get to some actual podcast content that I promised you. I keep seeing this thing about like it's going to be a boring off season because we don't have the same expectations that we had last year. Who cares, man, Like, haven't we learned this by now? That's kind of like I get where you're coming from. I kind of felt the same way after the loss to Kansas City or after the lost of Buffalo even kind of trailing into that. But who gives a damn about off season perception? Does it ever ever match up for more than a couple of teams that you predict every single year out of the thirty two Like the team will look different, no doubt about that. But you can just go get other good players. They exist in the draft and free agency and on the market, Like we brought in Brandon Shell one time mid season to compete at the right tackle position. He played okay, like you can find you can find new players, right. The system's good, the quarterback's good, the coach is good. That there's certain premium spots in place that are good. You can round out the rest and so like. Who cares about expectations? Man, Buffalo? Last year, after two years ago they had these Super Bowl aspirations got knocked out in the divisional round. Last year. Everyone said their window had closed and they couldn't compete anymore. And it looked that way in the beginning, but then they rattle off six straight wins and put themselves right back in the same spot where they Oh, by the way, they lost again. But I think everybody was picking them to beat Casey at home in the divisional round and make a run, right, Everyone thought that was gonna happen either then were Baltimore didn't happen that way? Or how about Houston who I predicted to go four and thirteen and they won the damn division? How about the Bengals if they had any visions of going what was it eight to nine this year? Look at Philadelphia? Weren't they ten to one at one point? How does it look right now, like, who cares about perception? Let it play out, have fun, enjoy the guys you have, get to know them. In fact, I did a mock off season real quick to put a boat on this first segment where I was able to extend to a waddle Phillips and Holland not a bad court, right, and some good draft picks there too, to re sign Christian Wilkins, Robert Hunt, Andrew BEng Ginkle. I also put to Shaun Elliott and Elijah Campbell in there. I also added Andre James, Noah Fan, Tim Settle, Trevis Gibson a free agency that's a big nose tackle in Tim Settle. That's Trevis Gibson outside Rushier who worked with Ryan Crow and Tennessee. And of course you guys know Noah Fan the tight end from Seattle, and Andre James, the center who would be coming here and anchor the middle of the offensive line. And then draft Troy Fatano who's my left guard in twenty twenty four and my left tackle in twenty twenty five, Roman Wilson, who I think is a great receiver prospect, Cedric van Prant from Georgia the center slash guard, and then Shaw Smith Wade. Now that's mock draft. Who knows what the hell's there, But the team's going to look different. But sometimes the players you add, they're pretty good. Last note here, DCC absolute rock and success, over seventy five million dollars raised in the fourteen years. Seth and I did a two hour radio program, had the great Jalen phillips on. We got to meet Malachia, five year old cancer survivor. Good job, Malachi, go get them, buddy. You beat the crap out of that crappy cancer. Just a lot of fun to see all you guys out there, the support, the writers, just a really fun community event. If you haven't gotten out for that in past in the past, come check out DCC fifteen next year. It's a great time. All right, let's go ahead and take a break right there and get to the news conference of Daniel Jeremiah which he gave us tons of great nuggets, and I have some thoughts on said nuggets. That's next Draft Time podcast to your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoonation. Okay, there might be a chance that I punt on the Freaks List and the Combine workout preview because this conference call, I cut the audio and didn't realize how much I had and wanted to use. So I'm using a fraction of what he actually talked about, because it's like a two hour conference call taking questions from different beat writers who asked teams specific questions, national writers who asked general draft questions. I asked about specific offensive line players you'll hear at the end of this news conference here. But I want to go ahead and just start with a collection of players I think are good players. It would fit from Miami, some general NFL team building philosophy, thoughts, just everything DJ has to offer, which is draft expert analysis, team building, construction, allocation, all that stuff. Very comprehensive and what he does, I want to go ahead and use that lee into it. And we start here. And this is in order of how he went, so I'm not stacking these in any certain order. Okay, guys, But he talked about the Michigan players, and he was asked about JJ McCarthy and camped him to Alex Smith coming out of college, which I found pretty interesting. But I want to go ahead and fast forward that because McCarthy off the board before we pick. Also not really a player or a position that we're interested in the first round. Although I do love Michael Pennix. I will tell you guys that I think he's a good looking football player, but I wouldn't use a pick on it because we have a quarterback. But just let you know that's my thoughts on the quarterback class. But he talked about McCarthy, but then I cut that part out and use the rest of the players he discussed here. Because there's two guys he mentions whose game I love. Let's go ahead and hear from DJ about the Michigan prospects he likes the most.
Speaker 2: Junior Colson, the linebacker, who I think is one of the best linebackers in this draft. Is a plug and play guy. Roman Wilson, who reminds me of Jayden Reid from the Packers. Is just really dynamic and was awesome at the Senior Bowl. And then Mike Sandristill, the nickel who just makes all kinds of plays, had six picks.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be a.
Speaker 2: Great leader from everything I've been told, can really find and play the ball, and I think might be a little bit faster than people expect. So those are three that I'm really high on.
Speaker 1: I haven't really talked about Sam Rastill a whole lot, but he is just a nickel that makes all kinds of plays, total playmaker, alpha mentality, Tasmanian devil, like we talk about, He's a guy that I would love to get in the program. I do think that he's probably a little bit out of our range in terms of positional value team need and where he probably goes in this year's draft. Plus there's other players that you like at different spots as well. So a player that I would love to get in here, but I'm not sure the value works out there. And then of course Roman Wilson to continue to go back to him. You heard DJ talk about, and they're Jaden Reid from the Packers, really good looking player, and the way Wilson dominated the Senior Bowl. We've seen players do that over the course of the last decade, and typically when they dominate those guys out there in the Senior Bowl, they do the exact same thing in the pros. Let's go ahead and bump it here to a next question. That was kind of a general quarterback philosophy and how the league is operating right now, And I love using this stuff because, by the way, the great Peter King retired today or announced it, and he gave you some other options for who to read a weekly call him from and I like the names that he listed, and I love Ben Solak. Don't get me wrong about this from the Ringer, one of my friends of the podcast, longtime friend in the industry. But I think there's a gap in this. Sound like an old man here. This tends to be a younger person thing. But like man, the only traits that people seem to view of a certain age is like arm strength, right, and es capability, which are great. They're fun, playmaker type of traits to have them. They catch the highlight reels. But man, processing continues to be what wins in this league. Processing, accuracy, decision making, managing a situation in a game, all are great. If you compare those with elite trades, that's even better. Let's go ahead and hear from DJ who was asked about the Super Bowl quarterbacks brock perty and Patrick Mahomes different paths to that stage and how the NFL has kind of adopted or molded or the evolution of how you evaluate the quarterbacks coming out of the draft. Here is Daniel Jeremiah on some of the trades team are looking at more nowadays than they were maybe just a few years ago.
Speaker 2: I think I was talking to a general manager the other day and I said, I think that maybe the only thing harder than playing quarterback in this league might be evaluating quarterback coming into this league. Because every time you think you've you've got an answer, you've got some things figured out, you've got the formula something, you know, somebody comes out and flips it on its head. So it's it's something you're always trying to learn. I think kind of it goes in little waves, and right now it seems to be there's a there's a lot of talk and chatter about guys that have experienced and they have played a lot of games, and brock Perty's kind of the poster child for that. But guys that have been in college for a while, you're not going to get the time to develop in the NFL that maybe you would previously. Because the financial commitment isn't as big, it's easier for teams to cycle through guys, throw them out there for two years, it doesn't work. We can flush them and go on to the next one. So you want them once they get on the field, and they have to get on the field early to have some.
Speaker 3: More experience under the belt.
Speaker 2: And that's been something I think people have given more credence to the last couple of years, is the guys who have some starts, which in this draft it's interesting because you've got you know, Nix and Pennix who have just played a ton of football, and people can talk about where the ceiling is for these guys or you know, how much growth is.
Speaker 3: These guys are ready to play.
Speaker 2: They're going to step in and have a chance to start right away and it's not going to be too big for them because of all the experience that they have. So that's kind of one of the trends. I would say that that's come up a lot lately.
Speaker 1: And it fascinates me because there are some people who I respect more than just about anybody that flat out and admit they suck it. Quarterback evaluations. Brett Coleman shout out talks about it on the regular and honestly, sometimes I feel hypocritical and how I talk about quarterbacks because I've banged the drum in the past for Josh Allen, for Jordan Love, because of the physical marvels that they were like. Don't get me wrong, I see it too, guys, and the idea of development coaching patience. Let those guys get into the league and survive with their playmaking and their legs while they develop the mental side of the game through the reps they get. But then also how our teams and quarterbacks afforded the chance to actually go through those growing pains and get those reps. Because Trey Lance is a perfect example. I think if Trey Lance played right away didn't get hurt, we could be looking at an entirely different career path for the young man. But it just didn't go that way. And now when the hell is he gonna get a chance? Only one quarterback can play. You almost need like an AFL for him to go play in. But where I feel like a hypocrite. As much as those tools can be fun to sort of fantasize about what they could become down the road. And this is why I have so many issues with the way the quarterback positions covered today. People seem to only care about those traits and not the ones that I believe are far more important, all important, But you can stack them processing situational management, timing. I mean, hell, I've been on this offensive line crusade for the dearth of the talent there is in the NFL compared to NFL pass rushers. But how about a quarterback that sees it fast enough to get the ball out quick with a quick, lightning fast trigger to mitigate all of that. That's pretty valuable. I don't care what anybody tells you. It's the most valuable thing you can do in this league. So when a quarterback on tape that shows me the goods there to at Bama, that's where I really start to get starr eyed personally. Give me both and well, that's Patrick Mahomes, because I promise you Patrick isn't Patrick if he's not an absolute assassin from the pocket and the way he processes coverage and everything that he sees in the field. And this is why, quite frankly, I have no idea how to grade Caleb Williams. He scares the hell out of me because the playmaking is fun. But I saw Zach Wilson do a lot of the same stuff in college where they had you know, big time names Tony Romo comparing him to Patrick Mahomes, But I saw when I watched him on tape was a guy that was beating group of five talent by beiling on clean pockets and just winning with peer athletic ability. And that stuff does not work when there are three Jalen Phillips on your defensive front. To that point, I think this one is worth hearing. Here this next question and answer about Sean Payton and his charge that evaluating processing from a quarterback is the toughest thing to do in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's darn near impossible.
Speaker 2: You know, you do your best try and figure it out, and you try and watch guys and you try and see and follow their eyes and how they're getting the one to two to three and how quickly they're doing that. But without knowing you know, how they're coached and what the scheme calls for them to do. It still makes it a little bit difficult. And in the college game, you can you can win a lot of games on first red throws. You know, they spread people from seed to sign shining Sea. You know, pre snap, where you're going with the ball and you and you deliver it, and you can you can win games and get a bunch of big plays that way, so it's.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a different game.
Speaker 2: And in that regard, I think there's something too, you know, not expecting that immediately once they get.
Speaker 3: To the NFL too.
Speaker 2: I think there is some room to improve there, so you know, you can bake in some easy completions for guys early in their careers as you're trying to put more on them in terms of the processing. But I'm with him, it's an essential part of the position, but it is something that's not always easy to find.
Speaker 1: I thought that spread element was interesting, and he's right, those wide hash marks in the college game make it such a different game. He was also asked about the evaluation of left hand quarterbacks and how that might change compared to riotings because now, like Tua, there's another one coming out who's going to play football games either this year or next or down the line in the NFL.
Speaker 2: And Michael Pennix, you know, one of the things we've always said is that like with left handed quarterbacks, you have to be patient with when you bring them in, you have to be patient with your receivers just because of the adjustment it's going to take just with the spin. So you'll have some drops. It's a little bit unusual for the whiteouts to get used to it, but you know, it doesn't take too long and then you can you can be good.
Speaker 3: Uh there, I.
Speaker 2: Would say from a schematic advantage, you know, I would say, you know, it just depends on on you know, some teams are some quarterbacks are really really comfortable booting to their natural hand, so to the right side, most right handed quarterbacks, they're going to be able to to deliver the ball in more areas, more locations when they're going to their natural side, as opposed to some guys going left. You've got to really crank your shoulders around and then some guys actually aren't comfortable unless they flip. So I would imagine that if you have a left handed quarterback, it just maybe opens up that other side of the field where most defenses are kind of accustomed to seeing that go one way. It can kind of mess with your eyes a little bit if you were going to be able to boot left a little bit more than you would to the right.
Speaker 3: So that would be off the top of my head. You know.
Speaker 2: One of the things with the we think about Penix this year is a left handed quarterback. It's it's he's unique because he's a little high cut and he has a like a three quarter arm slot delivery, so not only is left handed, looks a little bit different now where the ball's coming out and he kind of hangs on his back foot. It just it looks unusual, but it's it's really really snappy and whippy and the ball jumps out of his hand. But I think it kind of takes a while to adjust your eyes when you're watching it.
Speaker 1: Definitely punting on the combine preview. I just I spent a lot of time on that brighten down. A bunch of guys I think are gonna work out a big time, but we're gonna get We're already to the second break right here about thirty minutes into the show. Let's go ahead and take that last break right here, come back on the other side and finish up with three or four more here from Dane Jeremiah. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. Again. If you're not a fan or don't listen to the Move the Sticks podcast, go ahead and check it out because he talks about all kinds of stuff. Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network. That regards in regards to a team building that applies to the entire National Football League, and you can build off of that and learn from that and become a better, smarter fan. So let's go ahead and play tho Q and A with DJ, who was asked about the Lions last year. I love this question An answered because the question was, do you think we'll see more of a copycat league in terms of teams that go more unconventional by going running back, linebacker, tight end safety with their first four draft picks and they all hit. But those are all non premium spots right Here's DJ.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's gonna be any any copycat here because well, I think we've focused so much on them, you know, taking those you know, quote unquote non value positions, but we've ignored the fact that, yeah, when you built, when you've already built the foundation, then you can go do that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that.
Speaker 2: Draft was successful because of what they did, what Brad and those guys did previously to build up the line of scrimmage on both sides. You know, they had the quarterback in place. They hit on a home run on the wide receiver, so the expensive premium positions, they'd already built the foundations that freed them up. It's a huge advantage over the rest of the league where you can take you know, the running back, can you know, obviously a tight end hits a home run, You can take off the ball, linebacker, you can do those things once the foundation is built. I still think personally the right thing to do is to build the foundation and then you can go and do what the Lions did last year. But I'm not so certain that as great as those players were, it was awesome that you would have seen them flourish and shine as much as they did if they didn't have the quarterback in place and the offense and the defensive line in place.
Speaker 1: Weird, right, because in the NFL, it's all about context and the situation, and every situation is case by case and different, and if you operate under the one overarching theme, you're probably going to make a poor decision at some point in that process. And the debate between best player available, drafting for need, all of that always about context. DJ provides some context for us right there. Let's go ahead and hear from DJ on the impact of a transfer portal and how that might change the NFL draft going forward.
Speaker 2: I think there's good sides to it. I think you brought up a great point there at the end one of the Uh. You know, there's two things. If you look at players that you miss on, I know you always I always go back. There's always plenty to choose from the guys that I missed on over the years, and try and self scout, and when you talk to teams and get information on maybe why it didn't work out. Two things happen a lot are they don't know, they don't know how to handle adversity. And then other thing is sometimes they don't know how to handle you know, money, fame, all all that kind of stuff that goes along with it, all the distractions that money can can bring.
Speaker 3: So now you're getting a chance.
Speaker 2: To see them in that situation basically be a professional before they even get to you, and see how they how they handle themselves. So I think that can that can be a plus. The transfer thing in terms of impacting guys in grades, no, I mean that that's it's not really an issue anymore. I know once upon a time you could say, oh I didn't work out here or there it would come up in draft meetings. But I mean, I'm getting to the point now where I'm old enough to remember when I first started in three that I remember discussions in the draft from about a player having tattoos, and I think about how silly that is when we fast forward twenty years ago. So yeah, some things become less and less important, and nobody really cares about the transfer thing anymore.
Speaker 1: I want to go ahead and play this next answer here from DJ because it includes a couple of Organ Ducks and the guy that I've talked about in the podcast a lot. He was asked about Troy Franklin, the Lean, a tall, explosive receiver from Organ, and Jackson Powers Johnson who might be the best player in the entire damn draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun, fun guys to study, and with Franklin. Look, I gave him a good grade to my first listing. He's my thirty ninth player. I liked him a lot, But I think I'll end up coming up on him because I just finished, you know, going through all these guys for the combine, and I saw a lot of corners with a lot of blood on their hands. Courtesy of Franklin I mean, he just runs by everybody so big time, big time juice, tall, lean, explosive, he can beat press with his quickness. He's cleaning out of brakes for a taller guy. It's just it is. It's fun to watch him really track the ball and go get it. A big time home run hitter. So I think he's I think he'll go twenty. He's the thirties, he's gonna he's gonna go somewhere in there. I expect he'll probably run really fast.
Speaker 3: In Indie.
Speaker 2: We look at the center Jackson powers Johnson. It's hard to find guys that big that can move like that. You know, three hundred and thirty four pounds. You can't get through them. He just kind of catches guys and absorbs them. In pass pro, he's quick to the second level. He's really good on combo blocks. He's got some nasty to him. He's a bulldog, got some realpe, some snap and some pop in his hands. He was having a great week until he got nicked up at the Senior Bowl too, So you know, I think he's I think he's gonna find his way into the to the bottom portion of the first round. He's too clean of a player and it's just somebody that can anchor your offensive line for the next decade.
Speaker 1: Now we get a specific Miami Dolphins question. Who was asked about the Dolphins philosophy in the twenties with the roster of the way it's built going after an impact player more for the future. Here's DJA and how he views the Dolphins, and this opening line is why I want to include this answer.
Speaker 3: To me, you're the You're the Dolphins. You were right in the smack dab in the middle of your window.
Speaker 2: So yeah, to me, you can look at upside, you know, guys that are ready right now. I would probably look you know, I always think about what Ozen used to used to always say, let's just hit doubles in the first round, they'll strike out.
Speaker 3: I think I'm the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: I want somebody to come in and can help me that I, you know, feel as a rock solid player ready to roll right now. That would be, you know, kind of the area that I'd be leaning to. If you have a choice between player A player B. I might be a little more conscious of the floor just you know, just personally where they are. And a lot of times those high floor picks end up being really really good players.
Speaker 1: And yeah, first, I just love that we got that opening line from me because I really can't conceive the idea of the window closing, and I see it across the fan base. This is the last year of the window, the cap hell, YadA YadA yah. But then you see Chris Career as stoic as ever, basically saying, yeah, we're not worried about that right now. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's some work to be done with the cap situation ahead of the league year, but like this is every year for every team for the most part, at least the teams that can tend. The only teams with oodles of money to spend are the ones who finished with four and five wins because they don't have talent on their football team. The joke, right, players are great, but have you ever had cap space? If we have cap space, we could even get a player like Tyreek Hill or Bradley Chubb. That's the family guy joke, right, Would you rather have a boat or the mystery prize? About? No, no, no, no, no, hang on low. Worst, now, we don't even know what the mystery prize is. It could even be about it's a horrible Peter Griffin. Maybe I do a little bit better of a Cleveland, But yeah, twenty five year old quarterback who's posted top five stats and gotten better every single year league leader and passer rating and then league leader in yardage the following year, with one of the best play designers in play callers, with a group of maybe the most dangerous eligibles, with a defense littered with playmakers. Like if I told you in twenty sixteen that was the Dolphins roster and I just told you about the quarterback and the head coach and play caller, you would say, oh, we're going to be contending for ten years because we have the two most important spots that we haven't had since Shoela and Reno. Now you have it, and there will be changes, and you might even lose a really player, But these are good team problems. Guys. They brought those guys in. Now they have to replace some of them. Maybe just because it's different doesn't mean it's worse. Just remember that. Let's go ahead and hear more from DJ here on a Jets specific question. But I'm not playing it for that reason. I'm playing it because he talks about the idea of stacking value in the draft, where the tackles rank versus the receivers. I thought that was pertinent to us, So let's go ahead and play that. He was asked about, should the Jets go tackle first, receiver second or vice versa. Here's DJ Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I look, everybody's talking about the Jets. Do you go wide out? Do you go tackle with that first pick? I know one thing, if you can get the tackle, I feel a lot better about the third round wide outs than I do about the route the third round tackle. So that to me, would make that I would lean more in that tackle direction early. Because in the third round you got some really really interesting guys. You know, Malachi Corley from Western Kentucky's got, you know, big time juice, big time run after catch stuff. He is a is a total stud. You've got Roman Wilson from Michigan who can fly. Talked about him a little earlier. Ricky Piersoll from Florida, who's just a real loose, fluid, excellent route runner, and you know, get some insane catches they won't again.
Speaker 3: Charlotte, he might have the catch of the year. Of all these guys, in the draft.
Speaker 2: His Catchkin Charlott's ridiculous, but real quick, real fast, and can make some things happen after the catch.
Speaker 3: I can go on.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's a bunch of wide receivers. Every year we do this, every year we talk about this. It's a really really intriguing mix of white out. So in the tackle whiteout discussion, I think if it's closed, you go tackle early. You can come back for the wide out safeties in that third round range. You know, you've got Javon Bullard from Georgia, good player. We'll see what happens with with Jayden Hicks from Washington State. If he runs well, he'll he'll probably be gone by then. But you also have like Malik Mustafa from from Wake Forest, Tike Smith from Georgia. There's some interesting guys, some interesting safeties. I don't think it's a great safety class. I don't think we even have one. You know, maybe Nuban goes in the top fifty from Minnesota in the second round. Back man, we might not have a safety in the top fifty picks as possible.
Speaker 1: All right, So I have some more thoughts here to give you guys. I always love these if this, then that type of scenarios come to draft. And I thought he gave a good glimpse there of what these two position groups look like and how teams could wind up stacking them. And you've heard me talk about receivers a lot this offseason, and I think sometimes I do this thing on the podcast where I don't always explain things the way I guess I assume everyone knows, so allow me to be better about that. And I realized it talking to a buddy of mine the other day who was far from a Dolphins fan. He asked me, what do I think the team should do? And I mentioned another guy that can beat one on one coverage versus really would be really nice for this team. And his response, yeah, like two ineusible weapons. Okay, Bud. I'm like, all right, well, don't text me then, jerk. And I took that personally like Michael Jordan, but for real, like, yeah he does. And this is why. So we know Tyreek and Jalen missed some time last year, right, and even when they were available at times, they weren't a hundred and man, I watched him that Titans game again. The ankle injury to Tyreek is the difference in the game, which is the difference in the division if you ask me, sy right, But Tyreek played six hundred and ninety five snaps last year, sixty three percent of our total. Wattle played six to eleven that's fifty six percent of our total. In twenty twenty two, they both played all seventeen games, so that's without injuries. Tyreek played eight hundred snaps, that's seventy six percent, so he was down thirteen percent this last year because of injuries. Wattle played seven to eighty five seventy four percent, so he was down eighteen percent because of injuries. So even when they played seventeen games, that's two hundred and fifty seven snaps without Tyreek, it's two hundred and seventy two snaps without Wattle. That is five hundred and twenty nine snaps collectively, and that's with thirty four games played among them. And look, hey, they run more than any other receiver in football. I am not at all complaining about the usage. You should do that and keep them fresh. I'm just illustrating a point at how many other wide receiver reps there are to be had. This is far from a two man position. For us or for anybody in the National Football League. More realistically, it's a four man deal, and then if you have injuries like we did, probably five or six. So that's why I think wide receiver is definitely something to look at, or even a top priority or tight end. I suppose just another dynamic player at the eligibles would go a long long way to giving us more options where we struggled at times on third downs when those guys were down or when those guys commanded the full attention of the defense and we didn't have the other person take the way off of those players. Because we're talking about five hundred and twenty nine snaps without those two from twenty twenty two, five hundred and twenty nine snaps is a fifty percent player. That's a big role on your offense. If you're talking about this year twenty twenty three, eight hundred and ninety snaps without those guys, you get what I'm saying here, eight hundred and ninety snaps would be eighty two percent of our workload. That would be the third most on our offense. So we need that player. So if you're looking at somewhere between a fifty five to eighty five percent player. Shouldn't you have more than zero or eleven or eighty five that we had last year? Each of those those guys feels like a fine fifth or fourth, but you need at least one more, right, And if the argument is it's too expensive to go big at number three, it probably is, then it has to be the draft, right. That's why I tell you about Malachai Corley, So why I tell you about Roman Wilson. And we'll have more names for you guys right there. And also Eric Azukama time to step up. That's why I think you look at these receivers closely this offseason and you take a look at the guys that make the most sense. Let's go ahead and finish up with this last one here that I asked DJ. I'll go ahead and play the full Q and a hey, DJ, appreciate your time. As always on these we saw both shanahan and McVeigh this year pivot to a little bit more man and gap running schemes and some more true drop back passes addition to their wide zone and play action games. I'm curious which players in this year's O line class have the trades required to be part of an offense that really wants to be that versatile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean to me, I always look at interior guys that have some tackle ability but can also move people. So in other words, like a guy like Dominic Pooney from Kansas who's played left tackle and then goes inside of the Senior Bowl was excellent there. He's three hundred and twenty three pounds, so he can move people, but he can still move So I think guy like that give you versatility.
Speaker 3: Another one a guy like Brandon Coleman.
Speaker 2: From TCU, probably like you know in that third round range that's played left tackle, can kick inside and play guard. He's three hundred and sixteen pounds, so he kind of has that skill set as well that they can they can do anything. I really think the top three centers are guys that fit that mold as well. You know, with Jackson Powers, Johnson, Graham Barton from Duke Zach Frazier from West Virginia. All three of those guys can move you at the point of attack. All three of them are over three hundred and ten pounds.
Speaker 3: And they're athletic.
Speaker 2: So those guys, that's a group of interior guys to me that I think would fit there. And then you know the tackle wise, this this draft just has a ton of them that should be able to do a lot of that stuff. One guy we haven't mentioned who I really liked is a guy Blake Fisher from Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: So he's a good one.
Speaker 2: He can, he's a right tackle, he has good foot speed, he can get out do some of the things in space. But he's got some power to him as well. So that those are you know, just a few names there that I think would kind of fit that that versatile type guy.
Speaker 3: You're looking for.
Speaker 1: There we go, man, I love that episode. Really good stuff. They're very informative. We'll talk to DJ again for the podcast tomorrow. I'll ask him like six specific Dolphins questions for you guys. We'll get into that. I'll save my notes on the combined workout, guys, we'llsey might actually use it, and again, check out the podcast all week. Give me up into the top rankings, guy, I want to see that this week as we crank out a bunch of shows for you. In the meantime, I got to go catch a bird. You all please be sure subscribe, rate, review all that stuff. Follow on social fish Tank podcast, YouTube channel, mindelpin dot com. Until next time fins Up Carolina Cameron Daddy Will wants