Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it. We made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday at that Philly cheese steaks and beer battered fries coming out of the tragger who has it better than we do, No, lot, I don't know why we didn't do some Kansas City ribs here. Maybe there's some favoritism going on with Tyler who not only answers the phones, takes care of my dog, but also cooks meat Friday. So Philly cheese steaks and beer battered fries.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I hesitated to jump in so early, Dan, But objectively, as journalists, we should have some barbecue from Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, you're the boss. Yep, I'm gonna have to uh, I'm gonna have to talk to the chef. Actually he's a cook, he's not a chef, but he's got to be an objective, objective cook. Yeah, yeah, Okay, Well we're already started with controversy here on this eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Play the day, poll question stat of the Day. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, one of our favorites, Jim Gaffigan, comedian. We'll join us a little bit later on. We'll talk about the NBA with a few things like the All Star snubs. Please, if you're going to complain about somebody, tell me who you're taking off the roster. Okay, it's not unlimited where you have twenty two people on the West and you know nineteen on the East. It's twelve and twelve. And if somebody got snubbed, tell me who you're taking off. I already know who I would put on and who I would take off. But I'll have that for you. Coming up a little bit, we got a poll question. We have the Minister of Humor, Fritzie. We have Dylan filling in for Seaton, Marvin Paulie upfront and yours. Truly, a lot of it has been made of the Chiefs. They're villains, and I keep thinking, are they villains? You know, when you talk about a villain, I think about the Bad Boys, the Pistons, like they were villains, but they embraced it here. You know, there's certain wrestlers who like being the villain. But you know, what is a villain. I have the definition, but I want you to hear from Travis Kelsey was on his podcast with his brother and talking about embracing being a villain in the super Bowl. I love it.
Speaker 4: At one point, at one point in time, you know, it wasn't that and.
Speaker 2: You were the sener.
Speaker 5: You guys are the dollars in the NFL.
Speaker 4: I was the do you feel bad for him? Guys, and you're now the he I'm I'm just I'm enjoying. I'm enjoying doing this with the guys together, the guys that we have in there, because it's it's like it just makes us even more of a family.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the New Heights podcast with the brothers. A villain is a character person who is intentionally evil or harmful to others. Villains can be fictional or based on real people. So the intentional part of that, are they intentionally evil? Are they intentionally good? Or great? I think they came along at a time where were like, yeah, somebody other than the Patriots, and then all of a sudden, it's like, now we're waiting for somebody other than the Kansas City Chiefs. But I mean Patrick Mahomes not a villain, Kelsey, Andy Reid, Chris Jones. I don't get it. I think we're tired of the story. And that's natural for sports fans. It's like, okay, somebody else. Boy, we're really rooting for Buffalo, or we're rooting against Kansas City because we want somebody else in there. Buffalo would be great, you know, Baltimore would be great. We want somebody else in there. This happens with dynasties. We get tired, same stories, same people. Everybody's doing commercials. It's a big deal. Every game is the nationally televised game. It's the big one on Sunday night or Sunday afternoon on Fox or CBS. So we're so familiar with this story that that's why we wanted something else. Even the Eagles. You know, we had them in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. We're very familiar with the Eagles. Now you got Saquon Barkley, Okay, you can root for them. And I never thought I would hear, you know, the national audience saying yeah, I guess I'll root for the Eagles. You know, it's like Notre Dame or Duke Basketball. Uh, somebody other than them. Then Notre Dame became likable. This year. It's like, oh, you know, there's a national audience that's going, hey, I kind of like Notre Dame this year. So the this I'm not buying. But Kansas City should embrace it because it's there, it's real, and you know, fans want to see Kansas City. I don't know if they want to see the Eagles win as much as they want to see Kansas City lose. They want to see what happens with Travis Kelcey, he's walking off the field, Taylor Swift, Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid. But I look at this as extremely skilled football, all three phases. They just do it right and I can't argue about that. I can't complain about that. Do they get calls? Is the perception they're getting calls? Yes, but it's not their fault. You know, if they take advantage of the rules, then change the rules.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: The Patriots you could say, were villains because they cheated and they were involved in a couple of nefarious situations there. Their head coach wasn't likable. Brady we embraced because it was an underdog story. Julian Edelman Underdogs like they had so many underdog stories, but then we got tired of them, and then they're cheating, and then all of a sudden, you hated to see Brady's face because the you know, the good looking quarterback, got the cheerleader and won the championship. Bill Belichick always grumpy even if he won. You know, we got tired of all of that. But I view them as villains, not the Kansas City chief So if it helps the Chiefs and Travis Kelcey and you embrace that, then great. But I don't look at them as villains. I look at them as one of the great teams of all time with what they've done this run. Mahomes and what he's done historical Andy Reid, what he's done to maybe be He's the guy who couldn't win the big game. Remember, couldn't win the big game, and then he goes to Kansas City. Uh great, yeah, maybe you'll get to a conference title game. He was good doing that in Philadelphia. Now we're looking at him. Man, guy's an offensive genius. He should be up there with Shula, Belichick, Lombard, I mean, all the greats, and rightfully so. And Mahomes he's going to be the greatest quarterback of all time probably when it's all said and done. What did he do wrong exactly? I don't know what he did wrong. I mean, is he cocky? Does he get calls? Okay? That doesn't make him a villain? Now, that can make you root against them because they get the calls. You know, Brady got called. The Greats get calls, or the perception is they got a call, and they're always on national TV, so you're seeing all this. They don't play one o'clock games, not very often. Every game is magnified. Every game Monday is a referendum on that game and that team.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvin, I think for Mahomes, I think it's the people around Patrick Mahomes that makes people root against him. It's not even Patrick Mahomes himself, it's the people around him. I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Maybe referencing family members there maybe yeah, yeah, But that doesn't make him a villain. That doesn't make the Chiefs a villain. But I would say most people, if you're not an Eagles fan or a Chiefs fan, you're rooting against the Chiefs and the Super Bowl. It probably if you did a football map, I would guess that most of the states would be rooting maybe not for the Eagles, but against the Kansas City Chiefs. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 3: I think your point was right when you explain what villain means intentional, the word intentional. If you go back to Belichick, especially the last six or seven years of that run, he was difficult with the media on purpose, and it seemed like he got more difficult. And it's us against the world, and I'm going to give you a hard time because I've got a handful of rings and he could get away with it. So and also the cheating accusations, some real, some not with the Patriots, that's true.
Speaker 2: Villainin a character in a story who opposes the hero. A person who is guilty of or likely to commit a crime. A person who is cruel or evil. A person who is blame for a particular evil. Certain villains Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, Darth Vader, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Wicked Witch of the AFC West, Bill Lame Beer h But hey, I don't blame you, embrace it. You might as well. Hey, all right now, they can't say nobody thought we would be here. You know, it's not one of those like the villains are favorites as far as you're not an underdog story, because it's hard to hate a villain who's an underdog.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, Neil, I think they've also been preseason betting favorites for like six years in a round.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes, this isn't one of those oh my gosh, heartwarming stories. It's not. But when you think about it, Mahomes was nobody in college. Kelsey was a former quarterback. He played at Cincinnati. I mean came out of nowhere. Nobody knows where Chris Jones went to college. I mean that's why when you start to look at Isaiah Pacheco went to Rutger, Tyreek Hill. Now you know, you could maybe not like Tyreek Hill, but they traded him away and they did a great job finding Tyreek Hill. So I look at that front office unbelievable, plug and play unbelievable. And the constant is your GM, your coach, and your quarterback and not in that order. It should be a story that we embrace, or at least we respect. But it's almost like, oh God, this is going to happen on Super Bowl Sunday. There'll be that moment where Oh god, they get all the calls. It's gonna happen, and I hate when it happens because then we lose sight even leading up to the Super Bowl. This is going to be a big storyline next week. Oh the villains people hate us, that's okay, or people saying, oh, they get all the calls? Are they going to change the rules in the off season, Adam Schefter joins us, now shifty, are they going to change the rules? Yes, help is on the way, Like that's what it's going to be instead of these are two great teams, really really well run. When you look at the GMS, the talent, both sides of the ball. Yetto Chiefs are one and a half point favorite. I mean, this is what you want. You want a super Bowl? You know I used to cover the Super Bowls when it would be how badly is the AFC going to lose? How badly are the Broncos going to lose? Oh it's fifty five to ten? You want all right, sorry, DoD You want competition, you want a great game, and there's so many things at stake. What would a Super Bowl do for? Jalen Hurts, Nick Sirianni, Saquon Barklay. We'll talk about that next hour. Add another super Bowl to Andy Reid's resume or Patrick mahomes resume. Does Kelsey retire after a Super Bowl win? Like, there's a lot of great storylines there, and you know, there are times when I can be a cynic, but you know, I still love covering sports. I don't. I hate being the Oh God, they get all the calls. That's not fair. They cheat, whatever it might be. They spend more money than any But then you lose sight of what we grew up wanting and we took for granted. There weren't controversies when we were growing up. I don't know if anybody said kind of I hate the Packers in the late sixties, You're like, damn, they're good Kansas City man. They got a weird huddle with Lenny Dawson and Hanks Traham, But I like him. Joe Namath, Like, that's what you grow up with. I'm okay with a you know, a guy or a team that you want to beat that they're the team to beat. I'm okay. You know, I grew up a UCLA fan and everybody wanted to beat Ucla. But I like the fact that there was that one team you wanted to beat. The Cowboys for a while, the Packers for a while, the Steelers for a while, the Niners for a while. Man, We're so lucky to have those years where you saw greatness, true greatness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, I want to ask you a back of the day question before we break. When Joe Namath was going to win the Super Bowl or getting ready to win the Super Bowl, was he beloved embraced by the national sports fans or was he like, oh, this cocky guy from this upstart league.
Speaker 2: I think that since they were eighteen point underdogs, that there was a like a snickering curiosity of damn, can't believe he guaranteed they were going to beat the Colts. And you know, he had long hair, so he looked like he was, you know, the fifth Beatle. But when you watched him play at white shoes and then if he was not able to play, had this big fur white fur coat on, and so there was a curiosity. But I don't know if he was warmly embraced. I think because I grew up as an AFC AFL fan, I should say an AFL fan, so I loved that they were wide open football. The NFL was it was like three yards here and here's a suite for four yards and there's a seven yard touchdown. Like it was boring. The AFL it was awesome. It was like the ABA. It was fun. And then you know, the same thing happened in the NBA. The NBA looked at the ABA and go, man, they're doing some fun things. The NFL did that with the AFL. Bring those teams in. They're having fun. The Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, the Jets. So you know, this just goes along. You know, this is history. Every few years it's that guy or that team or both. And that's what's to me great about this. It's why I still love coming to work every day. You have these stories, they're fun. Embrace them. All right, we'll come back. We'll get to phone calls. People get fired up about the Chiefs. If you don't like the Chiefs, just tell me why. I'd just be curious. What is it that you don't like about them? We'll get to those phone calls. Eight seven seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show are Playthday as always brought to you by Panini America the official trading cards of this program. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, shop it up.
Speaker 10: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your phone calls eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter or handle a GP show. All right, Dylan doing the honor sitting in for Seaton and poll question for hour one is going to be one. It's going to be the chiefs.
Speaker 8: Are villains generally likable or neither?
Speaker 2: Just overcovered because I'll let Paul, Yeah, I think they're over covered. I don't think there's anything that you'd really dislike. And if you don't like the Taylor Swift is there, blame the networks for showing her. She doesn't say hey, I'll show up, but hey, I have to have at least five on screen appearances. I think the over under for her at the Super Bowl is five and a half appearances on screen. You know, the prop bets came out yesterday. We had some of those on the Gambling podcast and it's available a dan Patrick dot com. We'll have some of those prop bets, but I think over under five and a half appearances for Taylor Swift, I'm going to take the over because if he scores, you know that she's going to be on TV. If they win, she'll be on TV. If they're losing something that Travis drops a ball, then she might be on TV. But once again, you can blame Fox or CBS or NBC whenever they show them, that's not her fault. If they show, you know, Britney mahomes Patrick's wife, not Patrick doesn't say hey, by the way, can you give some love to my wife? I mean we kind of focus on on Taylor a little too much. It doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very unique prop bet though, because what if they show Taylor Swift before kickoff?
Speaker 2: Does that count as one of the five? Well, I don't know, he got it. I don't know. I mean, I just bring up the prop bets. I don't bet. I don't gamble. I gambled on the podcast by having a podcast that has Shayan Irving, Dylan and Bad Larry and Sammy Pe. By the way, Sammy p he's a professional gambler, has his own show. He pulls out a ticket from August of this year that he bet on and the bet was Saquon Barkley would be the offensive player of the year. Wow. So the bet, the ticket if he is the offensive player of the year is worth two thousand dollars. So he said, I'm giving it to the guys on the Gambling podcast and Dylan is there. Ray is the producer, and I go, that's a that's quite a gift. Yeah, Dyl.
Speaker 8: Well there is a catch though, and that it's a physical ticket from I think the super Book in Vegas.
Speaker 2: So in order to cash it, we have to go there. So well, we'll be down a lot more than.
Speaker 11: You you will.
Speaker 2: You will, yes, you will. That what a call, though, You'll come back having lost money instead of going out to get money. But that's a that's an unbelievable call. He also had the Eagles and the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, but he says he takes the Chiefs every year to be in the Super Bowl because well, why not print money. Seaton is back on the road with Maco. Go to Danpatrick dot com follow the road to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life, affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Oh better get Maco. Okay, get your phone calls on the chiefs. Here. I'll talk about this Justin Tucker situation because I'm not going to this isn't court TV. But I will talk about the football aspects of this with Justin Tucker. Moving forward, the Ravens kicker accused of inappropriate sexual behavior by six massage therapists. Now this happened a while ago, but it just came to light. I don't think there's any civil lawsuits attached to this, at least not yet. He is vehemently denied that he was involved in this, but let's be fair. This was around the same time a couple of years ago with Deshaun Watson that the story came out, but then that quickly caught fire the number of massage therapists and the civil lawsuits attached to that. But with Justin Tucker, you know, if I'm looking at the career timing of this, he did not have a good year, his worst year Hall of Fame kicker, and he makes seven million dollars, which is a lot for a kicker. He's going to be thirty six years of age. This might be a situation, a jumping off point for the Baltimore Ravens. That's the ass back to this that I'm interested in. Now you can read it online. There's a lot of details in there, but you know these women. I haven't. I don't think there's any litigation that is pending, but it's not in the story, so I wanted to bring it up. I'm not avoiding it. He's been a guest on the show, been a really good guest on the show, So it's not Hey, are you going to talk about it? Yes, but we're not trying the case. If you read the article, then you get a better understanding what's gone on. Allegedly it's gone on his reaction to this, but it's back to twenty twelve and twenty sixteen. I believe when these accusations came up. But I care about the football aspect of this. If you want to read it and all the gory details there, go ahead. But I'm not going to try that because I'm not a lawyer and it's not court TV. All right, let me see how about Blake and Illinois had Blake? What's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, good more, Danutz.
Speaker 12: I just wanted to give my thoughts and opinions on Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs. What you guys said this morning really struck struck a I want to say, a nerve or anything, but it really brought some hindsight to me that I think that everybody hates the Chiefs for the simple fact of everything that surrounds them. I wouldn't say that the Chiefs are villains at all. It's just like kind of what Martin said. You gotta deal with Patrick Mahoons's brother, you got to deal with his wife. You gotta deal with Taylor Swift, even though she doesn't want to be on TV. You see all these fans coming out of the woodworks, and it just kind of gets frustrating. Now, if you're a Chiefs fan, of course you're gonna be in stride, just like me. I'm an Ohio State fan, so I love seeing them win. But when you're on the opposite side of it and you're seeing the Patriots win every year or the Chiefs win every year, it just kind of starts to get a little drawn out. And I think normal fans just need to see some change. Even though we're witnessing history. It just when it's not your team, you're ready to kind of move on, get it.
Speaker 2: We get tired, you get tired of seeing you know, the Cowboys when they were good. I'm that old. I remember when they used to be really good, or the Steel Curtain. You got tired of that. But you know, in the moment, you are watching greatness, and that that's you know, that's why you fall in love with sports. You don't fall in love with sports because you know your synaggue of everything. You know, I really love sports because I hate watching that team. That's not what we grew up on. I think it kind of evolved or devolved into that that you see somebody. You know, social media's played such a large role, like everything is there and it's always there and everybody has an opinion on it. It didn't used to be that way. I wonder what social media would have done to Michael Jordan. I wonder what they would have done to him of the off the court, so you know, going up when he was there, you know, Magic and Bird, there's no social media. And I think because of that, you just watch what you watch. You saw what you saw and you heard what you heard, and that's what was great. I mean, I grew up in Cincinnati with the big Red machine. I didn't know what Pete Rose was like as a person. But now we find out what everybody is like and who they're dating, who they did day, what are the rumors, whispers, speculation, And that's why it comes to the Kansas City Chiefs. Do I want to see them lose. I'd like to see them lose just because of the story attached to this. But if they win, there's a story attached to that as well. It's just we've heard that story before. If they lose, all right, now we have a little different conversation. I'm in the content business. That's all I care about. What can I get that's interesting and bring to you. Guess that I can bring to you. That's what it's all about content. So that's why I don't root. I root for a great story no matter who wins, who loses.
Speaker 3: Campo Also, don't you think dynasties make it easier to become and embrace sports? When I was a little kid, I didn't know a lot about baseball, but I knew the Reds were, I knew Johnny Bench was and Perez and Conception. She owned because they were always there in the playoffs every year. And then those Yankees teams and you knew all their players in Reggie Jackson. And then as a football fan, I discovered the Pittsburgh Steelers. I could name that entire lineup. I'm not from Pittsburgh nor a Steeler fan, but they made it easier to become a sports fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh Christopher and Nashville Hey Christopher.
Speaker 13: Hey Dan, Dennis, Good morning, first time caller. Love the show five to nine hard, but softening one to eighty five hard. I think that the Chiefs fatigue was primarily was the Chiefs hate was primarily fatigue based until Patrick Mahomes tried to flop in the Texans game. That was crossing the line. We don't do that, that's not a football thing. And once he tried to flop, I think a lot of fans turned the corner.
Speaker 11: And said, no, they've got to go down.
Speaker 2: I think that the hatred happened long before he tried to flop. I would think so some of the greatest soccer players in the world flop all the time. I don't know if that means you hate MESSI or Ronaldo. But Mahomes flopping. Yeah, it's football. You don't want to see them flop. But I don't think that's the reason why everybody looked at them as they're not villains. They don't embrace you know, if you want to look at villains, then look at the Oakland Raiders were villains when they played back in the seventies eighties. They were villains, and they embraced that. They wanted to hurt you. They wanted to take your head off, Jack Tatum, they wanted to do damage. That's a villain. Uh, Nick and La Hi? Nick?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan, how's it going?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 11: Six to two fifty thirty?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: Just wanted to comment. I'm a I'm a Charger fan, season ticket member, and just to comment on the last caller. Yeah, the hate has gone way before the whole world shutdown with COVID.
Speaker 11: By the way, we as Charger.
Speaker 6: Fans, you know, you kind of get used to the last minute, heartbreaking losses, and I've seen many of those with with Travis Kelsey walking through the end zone and overtime or you know, Keenan Allen one minute score in the fourth quarter and then all of a sudden, pack comes down and does it you have to respect him. I actually do want to ask maybe we can throw a pull question on because eventually it's going to happen.
Speaker 11: But what's team is going to overtake the Chiefs? Is it Harbaugh and the Chargers? Is it Carol in the Raiders? Or is it Sean Payton and the Broncos.
Speaker 2: So you're limited limiting this to the AFC West.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm doing I'm doing it for the division and also attack each day with an enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nick. I would I would probably say the Chargers, but look, the Broncos had an unbelievable year. The Raiders they're not ready right now, but you know, let's find out in two years. You get a quarterback. You know, Mahomes isn't going anywhere. He's twenty nine. Now, Kelsey's going to go somewhere. He's going to go into retirement. Maybe you know, maybe he plays one more year. But they've had plug and play. They keep doing that just like the Patriots. Everything they're doing is just like the Patriots. You have the coach and you have the orderback. Now what else do you add and subtract? I mean they've traded away Hall of famers in New England, like lawyer molloy, we're gonna trade him to Buffalo What Richard Seymour, We're gonna trade him to the Raiders. They would have plug and play. Who's the running back? I don't know who are these wide receivers. I don't know. Now, you did have some that were constance, you know, Gronk was always there. But that's what Kansas City has done. Kansas City got rid of the most dynamic wide receiver in the game at the time, in Tyreek Kill, most explosive wide receiver, and we thought, oh my god, what are they doing. They knew what they were doing.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: By the way, did the caller have your name wrong there, Marvin?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Martin, really good point.
Speaker 2: All right, Martin, it's Mark. First of all. Yeah, I was I was going to gloss over it and Paulie goes, uh, I think you need to ad us that. Yeah. Oh my god, Hey Martin, Hi, yeah, Marty Martin. I love that show. Mark, Marty, youre are Marty Scorsese, Jamie and Virginia Beach, Hey, Jamie.
Speaker 5: Hey Dan, long time listener, first time caller. I just I just want to say, first and foremost, I love the sport of football, and the Chiefs are true professionals across the board, from the coach, the quarterback, transitional players, and I forgot. And also I would like to mention that they are starting to show Taylor Swift walk into the stadium now too, So I don't know if that counts for the over under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they always show the walk in, absolutely absolutely, Dylan. Can you find out, since you're a resident gambler, of how many times she appears on camera? Does that include before the game, after the game, or during the game.
Speaker 8: I believe it's during the broadcast of the game. But I will find out, all.
Speaker 2: Right, But as a journalist, we need to pin this down. I'll get some sources out here. Yeah, but I isn't the over under Taylor Swift appearances five and a half?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's five and a half, so six to catch the over, which does seem like a lot even for like one and a half a quarter.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I don't know. Yeah, it maybe it depends on Kelsey's production if he scores six touchdowns catch, yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: I saw a couple of articles discussing Travis Kelce and some of the phrases used were down year off year, and I didn't really track his catches. This year he had ninety seven catches and he had missed one game. Ninety seven catches, that's an off year. He had ninety three last year. I know a couple of years ago he had one hundred and ten and twelve touchdowns. It feels like he's not the focus as much. But a down year with ninety seven catches.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the bar that he set, the standard he set. I think, yes, he did have catches, he just didn't feel like he was the guy you're going to. Everybody knew you were going to him this year, but you know, you get a thousand. I mean, he's Hall of Famer and you could make the case he'll be recognized as the greatest tight end of all time. I mean not statistically because Tony Gonzalez put up incredible numbers, but he's been he's been that safety blanket, you know, it's all He's always there.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv Man, if you're Tony Gonzalez, you're thinking to yourself, Man, where was Pat Mahomes when.
Speaker 2: I was there? When he was in Kansas City, it.
Speaker 7: Would have been a no doubt about who the greatest tight end of all time is.
Speaker 2: Did he have Elvis Gerbach? There? Rody Croyle, Brody Croyle, bloop bloop for that Alabama's Brody Croyle.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's see Andrea in Indiana High Andrea, good.
Speaker 11: Morning, Dan, How you doing great.
Speaker 14: I am probably one of your oldest fans. I'm an eighty year old list driver and listen to here faithfully every morning. I just can't help but wonder why people are so upset with the Kansas City Chief. I mean, we're on the cusp of history and it's going to be I think, one of the most exciting Super Bowl games we've had in a long long time.
Speaker 2: Andrea, are you driving somebody in your car?
Speaker 14: I am sitting in my carport waiting for my son to come out.
Speaker 5: Who he just has?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, no, no, I do not talk text and drive and all that crap. Okay, That's why I've lived to be eighty fans.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And as far as the Taylor Swifts phenomenon goes, well, good for Travis. I don't care how many times they show her, you know what the heck? But you know, we are so crazy now. We pick apart everything, we look at everything, We judge everything. How about don't my grammy used to say taking care of myself is a full time jab?
Speaker 2: Alrighty. How about Andrew, Yeah, jere, I'm remind our business. Andrea paul In whenever you want to loved hearing from you. Thank you for the phone call. There more people should be like Andrea, hardworking, eighty years of age, loves the show. Maybe don't be so cynical, Maybe embrace some things and be warm up some things.
Speaker 7: Yes, mar she's from a certain generation that don't take.
Speaker 2: No bleep yeah eighty yeah, I love it. No, thank I love it. Yep. All right, we'll come back. We'll get phone calls, more phone calls, and our play the Day is next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio Wap Oh my God to play of the day.
Speaker 5: God, This is the play of the day.
Speaker 15: Check this out one nineteen one twelve down the Hill. It's a good line.
Speaker 10: Why is it a Rory McElroy, I'd say that was a.
Speaker 2: Good lie broh curtsy a golf channel. Rory McElroy second career ace on the PGA Tour. He birdied three of his final four holes. He's at six hundred, two shots back of the lead. Had one of my favorite tournaments, Pebble Beach. You can have a bad round at Pebble, but not a bad day at Pebble Beach. That is your play of the day. Play of the day brought to you by the great folks at Express Employment Professionals. Reduce time to hire, cut cost, find the right talent for contract or full time roles. Visit expresspros dot com today and transform your hiring process. Alison in Texas, Good morning, Allison, would on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Are there a long time listener and first time college and I'm losing my voice? It's our daughter's sixteenth one day and she hates sports. My dad was a sports pact growing up. We're longtime cowboys victims if you will. And but yet she wants to listen to you everyone on a way to school and forever she thought y'all were singing start of the day instead of status the day?
Speaker 2: And what's your what's your daughter's name? Her name is Meadows meadow U and it's uh are we ready to do a happy birthday?
Speaker 14: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Guys so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Alison, Alison, and a little to me more voice going on in there, losing her voice there a little bit.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, Rod Stewart, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: Rod Stewart, the deep cut or Kim Carnes Wow, Betty Davis. Yes, I'll stick with to me more on this one. Yeah, that's more pleasant. Well, Kim Carnes in the day. I mean she's precocious.
Speaker 14: And she knows.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, see what you do, Marmon.
Speaker 7: It's Fridy.
Speaker 2: Get a Martin.
Speaker 7: Oh the boys think she's a spy.
Speaker 2: She's got.
Speaker 17: Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, go all right, Gris is okay, Dylan, would you update the poll results please? Yes? I will, Dan.
Speaker 8: So the question is the chiefs are villains generally likable or neither just overcovered sixty seven percent?
Speaker 2: They neither just overcovered? Yeah they are. Ye, that seems to be a consensus thing. But that's not their fault. It's our fault. It's the media's fault. They're good. Therefore they're going to be talked about. You know. Now Mahomes is getting into the Tom Brady conversation or maybe the Michael Jordan conversation. Andy Reid now getting into the Bill Belichick conversation. Now we're looking at them as is this the best run we've seen in the NFL in history? Yes, yes, I do.
Speaker 8: I also like, how can you not root for Andy Reid? I don't think I haven't met anyone who doesn't like him. He's the franchise wins leader for both of these teams in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Like, that's pretty cool. I don't think that's ever happened, has it? Look at you doing some research for a change. I know I didn't have to read that one too. Yeah, I don't know. Don Shula the old time victory leader for the Baltimore Colts and the Miami Dolphins. Maybe Paul Brown, the old time victory leader for the Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals. Maybe. I don't know. Although Marvin Lewis was there for like fifteen years, it was like every year could be moving on from Marvin Lewis, and it's like, and they're bringing back Mervin Lewis.
Speaker 7: Yes, smart would be like longest active coaches Bill Belichick than Marvin Lewis.
Speaker 2: Is right. Let me see Chuck in Raleigh, Hi, Chuck, what's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Good morning, Dan, and the dan Nets and just a little bit of a best and worst of Dylan this week, if you will. The best being his grateful dead steal your face sweatshirt hoodie the other day, and not a worse, but I think he needed some more airtime, some more opportunity, which has seemingly gotten better as the week progresses. And hopefully we'll get his best bets on the Super Bowl next week, down to New Orleans something if you're gonna bet Philly Way or Kansas City Way. And then some prop bets. And speaking of prop bets, got a pie in the face bet for a Fritzy prop down in New Orleans, say a Fritzy mishap pie in the face that some thing and nothing injurious, So we don't want Fritzie to get hurt, but a stubbing of the toe or some kind of maybe getting lost in the city, Fritzy Misshaf, pie in the pie in the face back, and I'm gonna double down, double or nothing. It's gonna be like cockey has upper body or lower body injury. It's very vague, but Princey mishaf upper body New Orleans next week?
Speaker 2: Who's it all right? Yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fritzi will not be leaving the hotel that often and going out on the streets in New Orleans. However, I think last year you did get hurt in his hotel room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's right.
Speaker 18: I did half and like two in the morning. I didn't know about that little dead couch thing that they have in front of the bed where you sit and tie your shoes or whatever that's for.
Speaker 2: And I went flying.
Speaker 18: I know, it's hard to believe someone of my size could actually like take, you know, be airborne, but I went flying and I banged my toes terrible.
Speaker 2: God. I would love to have video bruised ankle and like, I don't know, i'd pay a thousand dollars right now for a video of that pitch black in the room.
Speaker 18: I didn't have the TV on or anything. There was maybe a little night like but too far for me to see what.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for the person underneath you, the room underneath you, and they heard you. It's like earthquake. This guy's falling. Don't got earthquakes as part of the country. That's odd.
Speaker 18: We should call the front test.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you want video of Todd's room that bad. Well, he's described his hotel room to me and in great detail, but I would love to have seen that. Are you naked? I'm just saying, okay, I'm sorry. I'm a journalist or open at times.
Speaker 7: I'll take it up and put like a towel down and just with my sock.
Speaker 2: No what I'm saying, were you naked?
Speaker 18: When I think I had a pair of sweats on and probably some brood.
Speaker 2: All right, let's ride. I sh had too much information. Next hour, Cam Newton, would you rather win a Super Bowl or an MVP? His answer got some headlines. We'll discuss that, and we'll hear from the bron James as well and the All Stars hubs.