Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey besties.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on all the pop culture moments you need to know from this week with host and film critic Naz Perez, Like what are this year's hottest Halloween costumes? Which iconic white two cake clothing brand is getting a refresh? And speaking of refresh, Seth Cohen is all grown up and in this Hot Rabbi era, y'all, it's Friday, October eleventh. I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 1: I'm still stuck on Hot Rabbi.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Robe And this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 1: Happy Friday, see money.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Happy Friday, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're both on this shine away. Hi.
Speaker 3: We had so much fun this past weekend and we had our first ever live taping.
Speaker 2: I had a blast. I had so much fun, and it was just the most warm, embracing, supportive environment, Like I literally couldn't want two feet without seeing someone that either I fangirled over or they had something really kind to say to me. And we were just embrace in this huge bear hug and it just happened over and over again, and it was it was just like, I don't know, being surrounded by all your favorite girl crushes and hypegirls like Gobby Dalkin and Amanda Klutz, who were part of our very first live episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed reframing the conversation about imposter syndrome because it's such a buzzy topic and I feel like we really broke it down in a different way, and it felt like we continued that supportive, warm energy with Jenny Garth. She was so open and fun. I felt like we were hanging at the peach pit. Okay, not the peach bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am truly so inspired by Jenny Garth, just because of the way that she continues to choose herself. I mentioned it during the interview, but I'm still so in awe of how she and her ex husband Peter Facchinelli have navigated co parenting post divorce. And they also did this incredibly can and did two part podcast interview series where they talk to each other about their divorce about how they're co parenting now. It was really really powerful and we can't forget about Anna Marie Tendler, who joined us to talk about how she's taken control of her life since her public divorce. I thought it was really fascinating to hear from her about how easy it is to lose yourself in a relationship.
Speaker 3: I think my favorite line from that interview is that cats can't cheat.
Speaker 2: Cats can't cheat, cats will never cheat on you.
Speaker 3: It's the mantra we need, honestly, But she really speaks to the impact of therapy and what you gain when you look inward. And speaking of therapy, I was captivated by your conversation with doctor joy Harden Bradford. I really love all the work she's doing to remove the stigma around mental health, and I know that conversation is going to empower a lot of people. And today we get to kick the weekend off with the best moments in pop culture. But first it's time to spotlight our favorite moment the week.
Speaker 2: Yes, today is International Day of the Girl Child, so we want to spotlight all the girls far and wide who are making this world a better place. This year's theme is Girl's Vision for the Future, and according to the United Nations, recent analysis shows that girls are quote not only courageous in the face of crisis but hopeful for the future, and the UN says that with the right support, the quote potential of the world's more than one point one billion girls is limitless. Girls can change the world, y'all. You know research shows that if you educate girls in underdeveloped nations, that is the best way to lift their communities out of poverty.
Speaker 3: And it's up to all of us to help make sure these girls are able to realize their full potential and create a vision of the future where all girls are protected and empowered, and that starts by listening to them. So shout out to all the girls around the globe who are dreaming and believing in a better future, who are speaking up and taking action.
Speaker 2: Cheers to that. That is a vision I can one thousand percent get behind. And one more thing before we pop off, y'all, if you have ever been ghosted, or if you've ever been the ghost, you're gonna want to tune into our episode with dating coach Sabrina Zohar. She is joining us on the bright Side very soon to talk all things ghosting. So if you have any ghosting questions you've been too afraid to ask, send them over to us at Hello at the brightsidepodcast dot com.
Speaker 1: Simon, are you ready to pop off?
Speaker 2: Ready as I'll ever be, Let's do it Okay. Today we are joined by interviewer, host, film critic, and founder of the support group Heartbroken Anonymous. It's Nas Perez. Nas. Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 4: Hi guys, this is so fun. As soon as you just did your intro, it felt so bubbly.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Well, Nas, you're the founder of the online and irl support group for people going through heartbreak called Heartbroken Anonymous. I've always loved the name heartbreak is all the famous difficult, but once you're on the side, on the other side of it, I've also felt like heartbreak brings some humor too, like you just can't believe the ridiculous situations. I know you're in person and virtual meetings are really heartfelt, but I'm wondering if you've ever run into funny experiences in Heartbroken Anonymous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I think that's the best part about going deep and within grief is once everyone shares about their heartbreak in our support group, whether it's virtual or in person, there's always a laugh in someone's share or story.
Speaker 5: I'll never forget. There was like one time a girl was like.
Speaker 4: Driving to a guy's house every night, like just because he hadn't text her back yet, and of course it's like whoa, you know, that's like really intense, but she was just parking outside his house and she was just like, god, I just want to like hear from him. And everyone just kind of laughed because it's like we sow. Everyone just so deeply sort of understood that feeling of not wanting to like face that like rejection and then personally like heartbreak is I look at it as like your heartbreaking open to really open up, to get you.
Speaker 5: To love yourself more, and I'll never forget.
Speaker 4: I was like singing sheres song Believe in the shower, and it wasn't until I was like heartbroken.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my god, this is a heartbreak song.
Speaker 4: So that's a moment where I remember personally just laughing out loud and be like, wow, I'm so heartbroken. I never knew my whole life this like banger was just about heartbreak.
Speaker 3: I was actually just going to ask you about heartbreak anthems. So I always think of Beyonce's best thing. I never had that to me is the heartbreak anthem, scream in the shower, in the car someone, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I My first inclination is country music, like super dangy country music, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like they do heartbreak really well. In County.
Speaker 5: They do everything really well.
Speaker 4: I feel like they emphasize like I'm going full my coffee in the morning, you know, like everything's so musical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean all the partons I Will Always Love You, that's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a classic.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think I mean that. And also the Whitney Houston version of course. Okay, I have to ask, though, whatever happened with the girl who was parking outside the guy's house, Like do we have a resolution there? I mean that's kind of wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, what's beautiful about Heartbroken Anonymous and the safe space that we create is the whole sort of ethos is that you're more willing to tell a stranger how you actually feel in your own friends and family.
Speaker 5: And what's beautiful is it's.
Speaker 4: A group that you can come to when you need it and you don't necessarily have to come back. Maybe it's like one month, even if she did come a bunch and I knew the conclusion of this story, I wouldn't share because obviously it's anonymous and confidential, but she kind of just came in the month that she needed it. And I think that's what's beautiful is that sometimes we're scared and embarrassed to say things, especially when it comes to heartbreak, those raw feelings that we actually feel, our behaviors and reactions that we have to feeling rejected or broken. But that's what's great is that we actually don't see it as being wild. We see it as being like so normal and part of the human experience.
Speaker 2: So when you're not breaking your heart open and guiding others through that process. You also co host a podcast called I Don't Get It, where you talk about all things dating, pop culture, sex, and I've been watching Nobody Wants This on Netflix and it kind of reminds me of the show that Kristen Bell and her sister host on that show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so crazy.
Speaker 4: I used to be a producer on the Bachelor, and I produced one of the cast members named Ashley I Ashley and Connetti, and she has a sister, Laura and Connetti, who is also on the show Bachelor in Paradise. For like a couple episodes and I was their producer, and when I had left the show, we all became really close. So they're like sisters to me, but they're actually blood sisters. And we started a po podcast called I Don't Get It, just based off things we don't get so it's like sort of sex relationships, just millennial subcultures.
Speaker 5: And so we started this podcast.
Speaker 4: And then when I started watching Nobody Wants This, that's exactly Ashley and sort of Lauren's dynamic, so it was really cool to see that reflected and Nobody Wants This it was pretty well.
Speaker 3: So this show has me in a choke hold. I've now watched it twice.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Danielle, same with you.
Speaker 5: Why got you watched it twice? I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like one of those shows like it's like, I'm not putting it in the sex in the City category. It's not like iconic in that way yet, but it's one of those shows that you could just throw on. It's kind of like Emily in Paris. You can just throw it on and watch it multiple times because it's so happy. Yeah, So for all the besties who haven't watched the series yet, It follows a podcast host played by Kristen Bell who is sort of embodying Aaron Foster's life. It was written by Aaron Foster and produced by Sarah Foster. Kristen Bell meets newly single Rabbi Adam Brody, and the series follows their love story. Adam is Jewish, Christen Bell's character is not, and it's like it follows like them trying to figure out if they can make a life together.
Speaker 1: It's gotten rave reviews.
Speaker 3: Vanity Fair said that Adam Brody has entered his hot rabbi era. Everybody feels very excited about the re emergence of Adam Brody after the OC.
Speaker 1: Were you guys OC fans?
Speaker 4: I never actually watched the OC. You like you watched it, Simon, Yeah, I did. I was like more Laguna Beach, like I liked like the real sort of who oh yeah. It was so real, like going to be just so real. It was so real, so not staged, so not stage. I know that was basically a scripted show. I heard that Seth Cohen's character in the OC is very similar. I guess would would you say, Danielle that it's like similar?
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of like very witty, fast talking, adorable, but like, what do you guys think of the show, And also as I'm curious what you think about the ingredients of a perfect realm com like why is this getting so much praise? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I think one, this show does really well because Adam Brody and Kristen Bell are friends. So Adam Brody and Leeton Mester his wife, and Kristen Bell and her husband Dex Shepherd actually all hang out. And Kristen Bell actually asked if Adam Brody could play the character in Hot Rabbi and nobody wants this, And I think because they have that shared chemistry really works. But I really think, aside from just Adam Brody being like this really.
Speaker 5: Hot Jewish guy who he's been hot forever.
Speaker 4: He's been like on a Hulu show called Fleischmann's in Trouble, I think we're just not used to seeing like a healthy masculine man sort of embody all those traits and stick by the woman and want to work things out on screen. Like Actually, while I was watching it, it made me really sad because I feel like, in my stomach each episode I was sort of expecting him to fall short in some way and I was like, Wow, we really have all in short in general when it comes to the male character in the rom com, and maybe the male is the one that can really show up, and so I think that's what everyone's obsessed with. And you know, he really shows up for her, and whether you've seen a finale or not, you'll see that he continues to show up for her in a way that's really healthy and really just great to see.
Speaker 2: I think it's resonating so deeply with audiences because we rarely get to see a midlife, mid thirties, early forties romance.
Speaker 1: Well, I think a lot of people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of people have felt overlooked by Hollywood, neglected by it. I also think there's something that's so charming about just like the normalcy of it all. They're very normal people and they do normal things, and so there's something comforting about that. But in terms of what makes a successful rom com and immemorable rom com, I think tension is number one, right, and that is what keeps us all invested in their story. Is this tension that's so perva throughout the season. Yeah, I've been dying to ask you why you like the show like, why you feel like it's resonating with you, so it's your turn girly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, first of all, I feel like it has the ingredients of a perfect rom com, Like it has a meet cute, It has really fun, quirky, lovable supporting cast members. Like it's not just the two leads that you fall in love with, which I think is really goodlords are siblings.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh my god, yeah, the brother's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But there's also a great conflict or obstacle, like there's a hero's journey, you believe it. I really think there's a reality aspect too. They had a rabbi, Steve Leader, consult on the characters and the script, so I feel like there's like a believability for people. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you, Danielle, because I saw an article about a rabbi who weighed in saying this actually feels and not that a scripted show has to be accurate. I was just curious they were saying that, like, uh, a rabbi and head of a synagogue could actually in fact be with someone who's not Jewish, And I was just curious what your thoughts were on that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's deep.
Speaker 3: I think it depends if you're part of like the reform Jewish synagogue culture. I think it's totally doable if you're more religious and orthodox.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how that goes.
Speaker 3: But I do think that the believability of the characters is definitely something that people buy into.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice, Yeah, the mother in law dynamic. I was like, you're a professional future daughter in law, Like I was just in awe of.
Speaker 1: Kristen Bell's character is so good at being a daughter in law?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because she she's just like I'm here whether you like it or not, and like that sort of groundedness is so also beautiful to witness and the way she again not to spoil anything, but the way she just continuously chooses herself while she's growing is so important for us to see as women too. I think someone who's not conforming or playing small to make a relationship.
Speaker 1: Work just to quick aside.
Speaker 3: I saw an interview with Kristen Bell saying that when she was watching the show with her husband Dak Shepherd, that Dax looked at her and was like, I want you to kiss Adam Brody so badly, Like that's how good?
Speaker 1: No way, Yes, that's how good their chemistry. And like Simon, to your point, the tension was you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are just a couple of weeks away from Halloween, and Real Simple just put out an article predicting this year's most popular Halloween costumes. Before we dive into the article, I need guesses because I feel like every year there's a new sort of obvious costumes that are going to be happening. I have one, Okay, please share with the class.
Speaker 2: I think Raygun, the disgraced breakdancer from Australia, is going to be a big one. Someone I would have never thought of that. Yeah, she's going to be near the top of the list.
Speaker 4: That's such a good one too, because it's so easy to pull together.
Speaker 2: It's so easy. I can run Goodwill right now, I can buy an old green track suit. I'll show up looking like ray Gun to the part.
Speaker 5: That's crazy so good.
Speaker 4: I know Man on the world stage too, it's so wild. I think we're going to see a lot of pop culture moments like that. Like I already know a couple that wants to do Sabrina Carpenter and an alien.
Speaker 5: Remember when she kissed the alien?
Speaker 4: So I think that's sort of in line of like what you're saying with an Olympics moment, Yes, which I really love, but I think it's so funny. I thought we were going to see a lot of jokers in Harley Quinn's but now that the movie's not doing as projected, I don't know if we will. But the Penguin is a big show on Max, and I could see a lot of people dressing up as like Penguin and Alphaba and Glinda for like those people that like to be like ahead of the trend before Wicked comes out.
Speaker 2: That's a heavy lift if you're gonna show up as Alphabum.
Speaker 5: Though you're covering.
Speaker 2: Yourself in green paint, like I mean crops and one who can do that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 3: Do you think in terms of couple's costumes, what do you think, Like, I think we're gonna see a lot of Travis Kelsey Taylor school.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god, it's like insane because all you have to do is like throw on a red lip and like put you know, your partner in a jersey.
Speaker 3: What do we think about Kylie Jenner and Timothy Shallowy costumes?
Speaker 1: Is that gonna happen.
Speaker 2: That's harder to pull off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I also feel like they haven't been in the ether as much. I don't know if it would be like top of mind for people, but that would be a sick costume. I feel like we're gonna see a lot of groups of friends or families, especially like little kids dress up as the emotions of Inside Out too. It's the highest grossing animated movie of all time, like over Frozen, and I remember when Frozen came out, they were so many like Elsa's everywhere, you know.
Speaker 5: So I think we're gonna see a lot of Inside Out too.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want to know what the predictions are?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, First up, beetlejuice. Lots and lots of beetle juice. Have you seen the beetle juice lip trend? No, that's the beetlejuice lip About that?
Speaker 4: Is it like wearing a black lip or like putting white powder over it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like a lipstain that's like deep purple that people put on and then when you peel it off, it becomes like a pretty rose color and it's more of like a new let's sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you want to look like a demon who's been living underground for hundreds of thousands of years exactly.
Speaker 3: The other ones were pop icons like Taylor Swift now as you weren't so far off, Ariana Grande but maybe not wicked.
Speaker 4: Just Ariana as a just Ariana. Yeah, that's a good one. That's an easy one. Caddier's Ponytail.
Speaker 1: Yep, I went as Ariana one year.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 3: Lady Gaga or Beyonce. I wonder if people are going to do Beyonce from the Renaissance tour like all Silver.
Speaker 4: I actually think what we're going to see are a lot of cowgirls and cowboys this year because with her Cowboy Carter album, Western just Aesthetic was everywhere showing up on like fashion runaways and just in regular you know, department stores like Zara.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hot tip for anybody who is near southern California. You know those sketchy like souvenir stores on Hollywood Boulevard, They actually have great chrome cowboy out.
Speaker 1: Why are you?
Speaker 4: I love those wait, I love those stories. I shot from them regularly.
Speaker 3: Thank you NAS gift on our first day from one of those stories.
Speaker 4: I haven't oh, I want to get a gift for someone there, but I love going onto like my Wou'd you get her?
Speaker 2: It was a fake Oscar that said like best coworkers.
Speaker 5: That's so sweet?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: This list also says Bridgerton inside out to Wicked Harley Quinn and the joke are Deadpool and Wolverine and even Minions, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: That's kind of making a comeback. Do you guys know what you're going to be?
Speaker 4: I always like to dip into like nostalgia, and I feel like a lot of movies that we liked growing up were coming back and I've actually so. Death Becomes Her is a movie that I love, starring Goldie Han, Meryl Streep and Bruce Willis and Sabrina Carpenter and her music video Taste of Ripped Off. Death Becomes Her with Jenna or Tega, So I could see a lot of people playing Meryl and Goldie Hans's character from Death Becomes Her. If you haven't seen it, look up the movie poster.
Speaker 5: It's iconic.
Speaker 4: But there's a woman in that movie who has like the Stay Young potion, and I want to be her character, but I don't know if I'm to be able to pull it off.
Speaker 5: I'm upsets with Halloween. I love like planning weeks in it.
Speaker 2: Do you go all out?
Speaker 5: Nas I do?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 5: When I have like good disposable income, I do.
Speaker 4: So if I don't dress up, you know, I'm not doing that well because it's expensive.
Speaker 2: It is, and yeah, in I don't know, I have a hard time spending money on Halloween. It's one night, Like I would I would much rather take myself on a staycation, vacation, spa day something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I you have to go young kids, so I feel like it's about them at this point too.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, which gets me off the hook, which is kind of nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's kind of more fun that kids Halloween.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 4: Yeah, living Halloween through the lens of a child, there's like no greater feeling like walking around and then being someone else.
Speaker 1: You know, the absolute opposite.
Speaker 3: Now, as I cannot plan for Halloween, I never know what I'm doing until like the morning of Halloween, and so really my costume has to exist in my closet, like I'll just cullo something together.
Speaker 1: I was thinking this year coyote ugly is easy.
Speaker 3: I have leather pants, I have like a tea that's a rock and roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's great because I'm telling you, I think sexy cowgirl in that stun. Yeah, there, you're a Western style. I think that's you're like right on point.
Speaker 3: When I was growing up, my mom always went all out for Halloween, and I remember I had the best memories and she would come to school dressed up like in crazy outfits. And one year my dad was a dentist and so she came as the tooth Fairy and it was so cute.
Speaker 2: That's so cute.
Speaker 5: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: No, I think you got to go all out for your kids, Simone.
Speaker 5: That's so cute.
Speaker 1: Now, should we decide on a costume for Simone this year?
Speaker 5: What are they really into?
Speaker 2: I don't see it. That's the thing. They would want me to be a minion?
Speaker 4: If anything, it's someone's like, I'm not trying to be a minion. I think I like more classic costumes, like which.
Speaker 1: You know, or which is always good?
Speaker 4: Like, or like going as a vegetable you know, and you're like a family of veggies like I love.
Speaker 5: I think those are the ones that bring me the most joy.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the costume that I aspire to be if I can actually like press ad to cart on Amazon would be a clover from Bring it On.
Speaker 5: Oh that's you can't do that on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I, if I, if I convince myself to spend the money on it, I would be do.
Speaker 1: A bright side costume and I'll be the what's the other team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forget the one that appropriated the clovers. Yeah, the choreography.
Speaker 1: I'll be the bad guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you know who you could be. You could be Eliza Love She's the gymnast. She's like the bad girl gymnast from the other school. Yeah.
Speaker 3: She had the twist favorite and like the two twists in the front, which I thought was so cool.
Speaker 1: I tried to do that.
Speaker 2: After that movie. I like tried to convince my mom that I needed to like bees wax my hair into like folo.
Speaker 5: I love it. I wait, someone you should do it because you can totally return the costume.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, this is the kind of advice that I need.
Speaker 3: I also think Gabrielle Union should do it and like the Internet will break.
Speaker 2: Last thing I'll say about Bringing On, because I could talk about this for hours, but there was this really cute clip of Kirsen Duns at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery where they screen a lot of old movies, and she was watching it and then reciting the words. She still knew all the words to the cheers, and it was it was so cute.
Speaker 5: I love it is so cute.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: We need to take a quick break, but we'll be right back to popping off with nas Perez. And we're back with nas Perez. Okay, y'all. From Costumes to Fashion. Just this week, Vogue announced the first details about the twenty twenty five met Gala. Coleman Domingo, Lewis Hamilton, Asap, Rocky Farrell Williams, and Anna Wintor of course, will serve as co chairs. And the theme this year is super Fine Tailoring Black Style, So Vogue says, this exhibition will focus on black dandyism, and we'll examine the quote importance of clothing and style to the formation of black identities. And this is actually kind of a big deal because this will actually be the first Costume Institute exhibition in more than twenty years that's dedicated exclusively to men'swear, and the first time the exhibition will focus only on work from designers of color. I know Danielle and I had some instant reactions to this in the studio yesterday when we found out about this. Nas what's your reaction to next year's Met Galla theme?
Speaker 4: My reaction was perfectly just like emulated in the way that you said, super fine, Like it was just so I was like, what, Wow, Like, good on Met Gala for getting us all interested again, especially after last year. I feel like the public spectator is this younger generation gen Z isn't so much as into this sort of like you know, the biggest site in fashion.
Speaker 5: So to me, I was like, wow, this is so sick.
Speaker 4: And also just to see how like women in general, like we've all been rocking men's wear for so long. Yeah, so I think this is like a perfect way to celebrate that. I also wanted to just say that Lebron James is also an honorary chair, so it's so sick to have Lebron Oldest, one of the best obviously athletes in the MPa.
Speaker 5: Him being a co chair.
Speaker 4: And what I love most about this was the fact that all the co chairs are actually into fashion, you know how in past years it's been like Chris Hemsworth, the Ryan Reynolds and I'm like, oh, now we have Farwell Williams, who's the creative director of men'swear at Louis Vauton. Coleman Domingo is like one of the best dress men in Hollywood and like really prove that on the press tour during award season last year with Rustin and the color purple. And they have Lewis Hamilton who talk about like this being the first time that we're solely focusing on black designers. Lewis Hamilton in twenty twenty one actually paid the tickets are expensive for the Mecala. He paid for like three or more young black designers just to attend. And he's a race car driver and he has a line with Tommy Hill. Figure he got an entire table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lack of representation and he saw it and so he bought a whole table out and it kind of changed the game for the Metcala.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like so sick, right, And so for these people to be honored in this way, like for the co chairs to actually be involved in fashion and like love black designers, I think is just going to take the Mecala like to the next level. And then of course there's Asap Rocky, who we all know is like the king of fashion married to the Queen of Fashion, and like having covered the Met for a couple years now, they always show up really late, Like you know how we always see Rihanna come last. What I think the big question going into Met Gala next year is like, is Rihanna going to show up on time with Asap first?
Speaker 5: Because when you're a coach.
Speaker 4: Cherry, you have to show up first, Yeah, you know, to sort of honor him and it being sort of his moment this year, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 1: Here's my question.
Speaker 3: I don't know what dandyism is, so I googled it and it says a synonym for dandyism is foppishness, which also doesn't help me.
Speaker 2: What is foppishness? Okay, I'm glad you brought this up, Danielle, because I think we do need to clarify the term dandy. I also didn't really understand what this term meant. Just reading from the Met Museum website, it says historically the term dandy was used to describe someone, often a man who's extremely devoted to style and approaches it as a discipline. So dandyism offered black people an opportunity to use clothing, gesture, irony, and wit to transform their given identities and imagine new ways of embodying political and social possibilities. And then when you think of modern day examples of a dandy, people like Prince come to mind with his really ostentatious ruffles and velvet. Andre three thousand during his hip hop peak era with the dapper hats and the bold signature glasses and super colorful fits. Also Andre Leon Tally with his you know, custom floor length calf dans. So I think this will be a really cool opportunity to inform a lot of fashion lovers about the history of black men's wear.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: In addition, there's a big emphasis on gender fluidity and androgynous beauty in dandyism. Yeah, and I think fashion has been like segueing towards androgyny anyways, And so I'm actually excited to see the looks, Like what are they going to bring out?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what everyone wears. Okay, from the megala to nineties and two thousands. Nostalgia, Oh my favorite topic. It's obviously been a huge trend these past few years, right and a lot of brands are trying to make a comeback by appealing to that nostalgia demographic. And one of those brands that's trying to make a comeback is the Limited Too. Do y'all remember limited To?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Limited To had my entire young tween years in a choke hold.
Speaker 4: Remember that and all the Delias bbies, like all the pacsn Yeah, like shop. Limited To is like right across from Pacsan at the book ratone mall where I grew up.
Speaker 5: But that's like, immediately what I remember.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to talk offline about South Florida because I'm from Miami.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, yay, I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember I adored this one limited To Tankini that I yes, bring back the Tankini. Millennials want the Tankini totally.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Well, limited To is officially making a comeback, and this time for adults. So get ready y'all. The limited To Adult collection is coming this spring. In a post announced on Instagram, the brand said the line is a quote tribute to our cherished ogs that have supported us all along, not limited to trying to use our modern day slang. That's so funny to me.
Speaker 5: I think it's really cringe.
Speaker 4: Like Limited to coming back is very cringe to me personally, because they're gonna come out with a holiday capsule collection, which is technically a preview to that collection that you just mentioned will come out next year. And they posted this like black quilted bomber jacket, and it just to me looks like a free jacket you would get after working on a production like in La you know, like here's your show jacket.
Speaker 5: And it was just not it for me.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna have to wait and see what they're actually going to roll out to weigh in, because based off that jacket, I'm not I'm a little cringed out.
Speaker 2: I agree. Maybe it hasn't aged, well, maybe it hasn't aged with us, but if they bring that that Tankini, if they bring back a Tankini, then I'm in.
Speaker 3: I just hope if they do this right. They got to do it right. They can't let us down. I just remember having such fond memories. It was like Abercrombie before Abercrombie, I think Limited two walks, so Abercrombie could run.
Speaker 5: Like we were wearing that before you could graduate.
Speaker 1: Yes, like I think we bought like underwear. It limited To.
Speaker 3: We bought like chokers, and then you could go anywhere a teen, you could go to Ambercrombie.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 5: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was more a Victoria's Secret Pink girl over limited To. So think like sweatpants folded down ten times.
Speaker 2: Did you ever wear Juicy tracksuits?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have one in my closet right now. Juicy made a comeback recently.
Speaker 1: The way I begged my parents for a Juicy tracksuit.
Speaker 5: That belore they were and the key.
Speaker 4: Chains they were so expensive it was like wearing a towel totally.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I feel like the best thing that limited To could do here is higher a Y two k era celebri to kind of steer or even like a fashion icon to kind of steer and guide this collection. Similarly to how Gap has brought on Zach Posen to take over creative efforts there, I think that would be the best thing to do so that they don't understand right about that, or at.
Speaker 4: Least use someone in marketing, Like if I saw Dua Liba wearing something from the limited To line, I'd probably be like, okay, let me let me take a second look at this.
Speaker 5: Maybe I can actually rock.
Speaker 1: This one hundred percent. Yeah, yeah, agreed.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Naz, you're not wearing it, Simone, you're a maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll see what they have. Yeah, I'm a maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a maybe too. But I'm leaning towards yes.
Speaker 2: I'm honest, I'm leaning towards us. To be honest, it's a yes for me. I have been really tempted to buy a Von Dutch hat though, you guys I loved those.
Speaker 1: I want to bring that, don't do it.
Speaker 4: I would rock the one thing I would rock from Why two K Now like I wouldn't rock at Hardy.
Speaker 5: I don't think i'd rock Von Dutch, but i'd rock true Religion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like a deep.
Speaker 4: Indigo, make your butt really perky, low rise true Religion with long bell bottoms and shoes.
Speaker 5: I would rock that.
Speaker 1: That's a good call.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a Verac.
Speaker 2: Well, the low rise is back. It's now the new Jean style. It's our nightmare come true. It's true. The men are gonna love it, the women not so much. The men have been begging for this comeback forever. What would you guys wear like from those days.
Speaker 1: I mean I still wear Abercrombie jeans sometimes.
Speaker 2: Really a lot of people love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they make great jeans. I don't tell anyone, but now I have.
Speaker 5: Yay came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know.
Speaker 3: I'm actually not a big nostalgia girl. I kind of like to keep it pushing. I'm I'm happy in the twenty twenty four is. I like the styles better, I like the cuts. They're better for me. I remember I was always kind of like a curvy girl, and I remember being pissed at fashion growing up because it was never made for my boss. I always felt uncomfortable, and I really think it's changed, Like bathing suits fit me. Everything fits better now. So I'm happy in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep living in the past.
Speaker 1: You guys, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: It's good for you.
Speaker 1: That's the beauty of twenty twenty four is everyone gets to choose.
Speaker 2: That's feminism people.
Speaker 1: Well, Nas, thanks for popping off with us, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, thank you guys so much for having me.
Speaker 4: I loved our chat and now I gotta you rethink all my fashion choices from back in the day.
Speaker 2: So Nasprez is a host film critic and founder of the support group Heartbroken Anonymous. You can find her on social media at Nasprez.
Speaker 3: It's time for another short break. We'll be right back to share what's in our cart this week. We're back, all right, simone. It's Friday, so let's get ready for the weekend with What's in Your Cart, presented by Walmart.
Speaker 1: Welcome to your Walmart.
Speaker 3: This is our weekly segment where we have the opportunity to share a product that we're loving right now.
Speaker 2: This time of year is so much fun, Danielle, mostly because I get to see my boys get so excited for Halloween. Like they are obsessed with Halloween right now.
Speaker 1: That's so cute. Do they know what they want to be?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, We've got a Jack Skellington and a Jedi in the house. We've tried on their costumes. It's so adorable. But here's the thing. I got to admit, I feel so overwhelmed by the pressure to decorate for Halloween. It's become a whole thing in recent years.
Speaker 1: What do you mean a whole thing.
Speaker 2: I was going for a walk in our neighborhood with my boys, and I just noticed that so many houses have these elaborate Halloween decorations in the yard, and my boys are begging me to get some. I mean, I'm used to decorating for winter holidays that I kind of know how to do, but I haven't really gotten into Halloween yet. I don't really know where to start.
Speaker 1: Are you going to lean in this year?
Speaker 2: I honestly feel like I have to. The demand has reached a fever pitch in my house, and I, you know what, I can't resist creating a little holiday magic for my kids. So I went to Walmart and I got a giant sixteen foot spider web. It's epic sixteen feet. Yes, you can go indoor outdoor. It's truly like the perfect Halloween decoration. And my kids are so stoked. I think they're thinking, like, oh, we might actually be one of the coolest decorated houses on the block.
Speaker 3: Now I feel like, you guys can have a haunted house. You're such a cool mom.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, We're gonna start small, maybe haunted house next year.
Speaker 1: Okay, Bestie's that's it for today's show.
Speaker 3: Thanks to our partners at Walmart. On Monday, we have another edition of shelf Life. Author Kacobel joins us to talk about her book Looking for Smoke, which is the fall young adult pick for Reese's Book Club.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Boyce and at Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wank and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Izzy Kintania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamatt.
Speaker 3: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 3: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton lighthauser.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's R O B A Y.
Speaker 2: We'll see you Monday, y'all. Keep looking on the bright side.