Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 4: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 3: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: The playoffs are upon us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices views from your seat. The Lord's Price Guarantee game Time takes the guests work out of buying tickets, save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the Lord's Price Guaranteed or game Time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guest work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty dollars.
Speaker 4: Off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account.
Speaker 2: Redeem code Nightcap Nightcap for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us again for another episode of Nightcap.
Speaker 4: I am your favorite. M Shannon Sharp, he is your favorite.
Speaker 2: Number eighty five, the route Runner, Extraordinary, the Benga Ring of Fame, Honoy the Legendary.
Speaker 4: He's an all pro. He's a pro bowler.
Speaker 2: Samo Juco all the way to Oregon State to Cincinnati where he cut his teeth. Y'all knowing from Liberty City. That's Chad O Josenko Johnson and thank you for joining us. Please make sure you hit that light button, Please make sure you hit that subscribe button, and please make sure you join the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. And remember every podcast subscriber counts. Because of you, we've been able to enjoy a level of success that we didn't expect to reach this early. So thank you for liking, for subscribing, and telling family, friends and loved one to go check out Nightcap. Yes, sir, make sure you check out Shave by Laportier. We have it in stock, so thank you for your patience when we didn't have it in stock but you waited for us. Thank you so much. We have it in stock and we'll get that out to you promptly. Please go follow my media Company's page on all platforms. That's Shay Shape Media and My Clothing Company eighty four. The link is pinned at the top of the chat. Okay, oh Joe, I guess we're gonna jump right into it. Tom Brady once again strokes rumors, stops rumors about coming out of retirement. On one of his recent blogs on YouTube, he says he still keeps in shape. I just want to make sure all you young bucks in the NFL know that if I want to come out of retirement, they still got something.
Speaker 4: To deal with. Brady just turned forty seven.
Speaker 2: He retired after the twenty twenty two season, and he has not played a game since January sixth, sixteenth of.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty three. Oh Joe, Why Brady doing this? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think he like it.
Speaker 6: I think he liked it, or he might be setting it up for some for some big I don't think it's a return to the game of football. But I mean he's already going to anchor the CBS CBS.
Speaker 5: Network, right, Oh Fox is Fox? Okay, you can be anchor on Fox.
Speaker 6: So him coming back is probably probably not likely, but he might be setting up for something else.
Speaker 5: Is he just playing the seed? I'm not sure. What the seed may be, but obviously playing football is not it.
Speaker 2: Why would you Why would you give up thirty seven million? He got a ten year deal down there at four hundred million dollars to talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get to it.
Speaker 2: I don't give a damn if he comes back and plays another five years. Yes, sir, I'm gonna tell you what my brother told me when I thought about coming back for your fifteen instead of taking that desk job at CBS. Right, he said, boy, you get too old to play football. You don't get too old to talk.
Speaker 1: Mm. I like that, So I.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question, though, Joe. And also one of the that I had to decide if I want another Super Bowl? Was that gonna change anybody perception of me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: If I had another thousand yard season, another fifty catch season, No, sir. What can Tom Brady do to change anybody's perception of him?
Speaker 6: Absolutely nothing except change the narrative about being too old to play the game of football at the quarterback position. That's probably that's probably that narrative that it can still be done, or probably he's one of the few that can probably do it well into his forties, almost to the age of fifty and I mean it doesn't change the narrative, narrative at all. He's the gold He's the greatest of all time. With a young fella down there in Kansas City right on his heels, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: I just think that, Look, there's gonna be a lot of guys that's gonna play unless if they don't suffer significant injury.
Speaker 4: You're gonna see a.
Speaker 2: Lot of guys playing eighteen nineteen twenty feet. The rules will allow it. Yeah, you can't punish the quarterback like you once could. And if you could, man, they get fault in half. You don't want to take that kind of punishment.
Speaker 4: O Joe. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So look, I just think he's having fun with it. I think from time to time, like y'all know me, y'all know I can still do this right, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: This is the thing I like about about the New Tom. I call it the new Tom because the Tom and the Tom in New England is the Tom that the Tom in New England is the serious Tom.
Speaker 5: I'm about business Tom, I'm coming to my job.
Speaker 6: But the time we got in Tampa Bay was decide that the players got to see inside the locker room when there were no cameras around. The fun Tom, the personality Tom, the Tom that makes jokes. You know, in New England, I try to get him on Twitter for the longest. In New England, I try to get him on Instagram for the long on Instagrams for the longest.
Speaker 5: He wouldn't do it. He wouldn't budge.
Speaker 6: All of a sudden, he gets he gets to Tampa, Rand New Man. I can finally be myself. I'm finally I don't want us to use the words as I'm finally free, but I can just be myself without without having the mask who I truly am up under the Patriott if that, if that makes sense. And we now we get to see the fun guy. We get to see the fun guy on Twitter. You know, he's he's making content videos and the having fun and I think it's dope vlogging and all this other stuff.
Speaker 5: And that's the time that we never got to see.
Speaker 6: Well we got to see it, you know that that that fun side of him, but the world never got to see it. And now it's a coming out party for him and he's taking advantage of it.
Speaker 4: I think the thing is for the most part, O Joe The only guy that really was himself at all times was Gronk. Yeah, most definitely with that was that.
Speaker 2: College frag guy that drank, bears, had a good time, yelled his screen, he took care of his business off on the field, There's no question about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he was himself.
Speaker 2: Coach Belichick didn't make didn't wasn't able to suppress who.
Speaker 4: Want was the grow that you see. That's how he is. He's really what you see, he's really that's how he is.
Speaker 2: He's a big, fun loving frad You know, you think of a frat guy, a a at a p w I that drags, have a good time, go have on kakis and a blazer when he goes somewhere. That's Bromp. But he's gonna have a great time. He's a great guy. He's a fun guy to be around. And Coach Belichick wasn't able to suppress that. I don't know if we got anybody else's personality in New England other than Gronk and when you got and when and and and when you got, because I think the thing is is that you understood why you was there.
Speaker 4: He controlled everything.
Speaker 2: There was never a situation where I'm here because the coach wanted me, but the general manager didn't. I'm here because the general manager wanted me, but the coach didn't. There they're the same person. So you know, you were there because of coach Belichick. You know if you weren't there, it was because of coach Belichick. And for the longest time Tom was okay with that. But at some point in time, Tom realized, I'm doing all this and you still treat me like the twenty third to fifty, the forty eight, the guy on the roster doing all this to words, Yeah, yes, he's like, I'm not on Twitter, I'm not doing anything, and I still get the same abuse.
Speaker 4: I get the same Nah.
Speaker 2: Hell now, so as you noticed that at the time to end, he stopped coming to OTAs and you started to stop doing all that.
Speaker 6: I think I think it got to the point where where Bill, Bill understood uh the position.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: He felt Tom's time had maybe run this course a little bit with the Garoppolo situation. I think Tom felt the pressure of Bill probably wanted to go in that direction.
Speaker 4: I think Tom.
Speaker 6: I think Tom might have talked to Craft and saying, you know what, I don't want this individual over my shoulder, you know how that is for for starting the quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I think they just had to get rid of him.
Speaker 6: And listen, I could be speculating, but I'm just thinking how it played out in my head and and how how it played out hell in front of all our eyes. That that that that might have been the issue. And I think Tom really had nothing.
Speaker 1: To worry about.
Speaker 5: But I think it was Bill.
Speaker 6: Bill was ready to go in another direction, feeling that Tom and that again all he could and not realizing, you know, Tom leaves and goes and wins another goddamn super Bowl. That's that's crazy. That's in a in a perfect story. You couldn't write it any better. To leave a team where coach assumingly doesn't believe you anymore and wants to move on, and you go to the next team and win.
Speaker 5: It's foot Bowl.
Speaker 6: And it's people like Tom Brady that make people think playing the quarterback position in the NFL is easy, because and Patrick Mahomes make it look so fucking easy, yet it's so difficult.
Speaker 5: They make it look so easy, but yet it's so difficult.
Speaker 2: I think the thing was, Look, the writing was on the wall where you hurt when you self. Ricochet Wickersham wrote this article about how that came to a come to Jesus meeting, and mister Krafft gave coach Bell check of ultimatium, ultimatum that Jimmy Garoppolo was going to be traded against coach Belichick and he didn't want that to happen. That was his guy, because Coach Belichick had been in the NFL long enough to know that you need that bridge. That if you let a quarterback dial rot on the vine and you don't have a bridge, you get the Miami Dolphins, you get the Buffalo Bills, and so you don't have that great that succession plan on like the Green Bay Packers, you.
Speaker 4: Go from Brent Farr to Aaron Rodd to Georgia.
Speaker 5: Now they got lucky. They got to think about it. What what what other team.
Speaker 6: Or entity in that matter has had the luck of the Packers quarterback situation. We can go from Joe Montana to Steve Young, but that stopped the two quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: But but you know, Jeff Garcia had a good.
Speaker 6: Jeff Garcia, Jeff Jeff good.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but I mean but not not not Hall of Fame, not not have had, you got you got. You had eighteen years of Bread, you had eighteen years of Aaron Rodgers, and it looks like you might have eighteen.
Speaker 4: Years of of George Love so.
Speaker 2: You might have fifty plus years a great quarterback, Almom Michael Steeler's coaching situations.
Speaker 4: So you knew it was it was coming.
Speaker 2: And I said this at the time when Tom wanted his wanted an extension on his contract, and all they did was take money and give it to him and assigning bonus, and then they extended.
Speaker 4: I say, he gone, yeah, yeah, why would you, Why would you?
Speaker 2: Why would you not extend it if you wanted him back for gold an opportunity And so now and I remember and I said this also, I said, Tom, mister Kraft won this one, he won't win the next one. Coach Belichick is gonna get his way because he's not gonna stop. Because the problem was is that he wanted to show see.
Speaker 4: Oh Joe.
Speaker 2: A lot of times when you have success and when you see successful groups break up, it's because there's a power struggle going on that if you if you know, you know, if you're in the business, if you're around it, you can see it. But to the casual fan, they don't see it. No, Shanny, you don't know what you're talking about. You see when when Bill Walsh retired, they want a super Bowl the next year. Yeah, so there was no there was no it was Bill, it was Joe. They wonted Super Bowl next year and they got to the NFC. In the NFC Championship, it was a hardcourt three p Yeah. So now there was always question who's most responsible for the Patriots dynasty?
Speaker 4: Is it Tom?
Speaker 1: Is it Bill?
Speaker 5: I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: I think all I know is one guy went and got a super won a Super Bowl, and whether the playoff every year, and the other guy went to the playoffs one year, got bounced in the first round and never went back to the playoffs again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know, I think I think on on Bill's on Bill's behalf. You have to think the important to the quarterback position. We all know what everybody in the chat that's listening. You understand how important the quarterback position is. Now when you're not able to fulfill that spot, that you're not able to do other things with the freedom that Bill had when Tom was in place, you have to understand when you look at the New England Patriots and the landscape of that team throughout the years, the pieces to the puzzle constantly changed each year, whether it be offensively, whether it be defensively. But as long as you had that centerpiece in Tom there and everything ran through him, you were gonna be fine. You can do you can do any and everything because you understood he was gonna protect the ball in the most crucial times and not to run it over. And all you have to do is go play defense. And what was Bill Belichick?
Speaker 5: He was the defensively, he was a defensive genius. He's a google on this ethern side of the ball. And listen, they did the best job at taking away your best weapon.
Speaker 4: They were the best at that.
Speaker 5: And you know, it's just unfortunate.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say, I don't want to say the word I want to use egos. I don't want to say egos got in the way.
Speaker 1: And it was, it was, it was.
Speaker 6: It was a damn pisson contest on who was responsible. But I think it ruined a great thing. It ruined the great thing.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: I think the thingo because you saw coordinators come and go be at offense, defense, It didn't matter the players and people like well, Tom did you have to understand everybody can't play in that system. Every great player can't play for Coach Belichick. He took players. When he goes in drafts, they're doing an evaluation about ego. Is this guy gonna be okay catching one pass two passes one week and then maybe not catch another pass for two three weeks, And so you have to evaluate that because the one thing that you're not gonna do is mope on Coach Belichick's time. He gonna get you up out of there. So you have to understand. You have to if you, like I said, Joe, if you know, you know you and I played the game for an extend period of time, so we know how that things work. And I had a coach very similar. Now he wasn't as rigid. Mike was not as rigid as Coach Belichick. But Mike wasn't gonna set up for that. I don't care what round you was drafted in. I don't care how much money he gave you. Mike, we get your ass up out of there. Yeah, Quip, you did anything that wasn't team related?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And matter of fact, the fact that you say that. Remember you asked me, h, not too long, maybe maybe two or three shows ago. You asked me, was I okay with how things were going in New England being that it wasn't a productive season that I'm used to having. You know, if you look my goddamn numbers every every year, you are you know what time it was. I was right, I was giving that work. And he was like, well, listen, whether I was okay with it or not, I understood. Once you walk in that building, nobody even has to say anything. I don't know what I don't I don't know what it is about the Patriots and the Patriot way and you having a great understanding that you're expendable no matter who you are.
Speaker 4: Smart example, chat.
Speaker 2: Hey, look at all the great players that they had then Lloyd they cut Lloyd malloy on a Tuesday, left, William mcginnon's left, all those got, all those guys business.
Speaker 4: It didn't matter, It didn't matter. Let me takemore.
Speaker 5: But let me tell you something. You know when you can you can do all that. When you got that goddamn.
Speaker 6: Twelve sitting back there and you got worry about because you can feel every you can feel all the other roles via draft and.
Speaker 5: Then the off season through free agency. But then think about this.
Speaker 6: One of the things, one of the reasons why I probably would have never even if I didn't have this example or I saw this example. Randy Moss was upset about something. I think it might have been contract. It might have been money. He was just coming off that season. What they do touchdowns and he had what to do. Yeah, and he said something in the media about our contract, about getting paid.
Speaker 5: You remember that, I do remember.
Speaker 4: Any went back to Minnesota.
Speaker 5: He was going, what it wasn't even twenty four hours?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oh my god, boy, listen, you already know what time it is, so you know I wasn't going over the cutting up. Oh who let one of the greatest of all, one of the greatest, one of the top three players of.
Speaker 4: All time, go who the fucking by?
Speaker 5: I ain't nobody should I was walking on eggshield the whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing was, oh, Joe, they should say Tom Brady at Altars be for you. Yeah, because he's the greatest. He's the greatest makeup ever because he can cover he could cover up all blomishes that the Patriot had, because he was so good.
Speaker 4: So he's make up.
Speaker 2: And there only been a handful of guys. You kill a guy like Patrick mahone that can do that.
Speaker 4: He's makeup. Tom Brady, he's make up. Those guys like that.
Speaker 2: You've got blemishes on your team, they can hide them. They're the filter on I G make everything look good.
Speaker 1: And you.
Speaker 2: You fat, you out of shape, you're terrible. But that guy can make you look good. And Tom Brady is the ultimate makeup. And we might not ever see that again, that Patrick Mahomes is firing. But what Tom was able to do. I thought when he got the three in his first three and four four years, I thought he could get to five.
Speaker 4: I ain't.
Speaker 2: I ain't see I ain't see that. I ain't see seven, and I didn't see them constantly in contention. I mean, think about it. He lost the he lost the Peyton three times. The AFC Championship game he lost. That's another five appears. Then that's another five three.
Speaker 6: That's crazy when you think about it. We talked about this, We talked about the NFL. We talked about players that have played the damn Renos, the Barry Sanders hell myself, uh t O, I'm thinking about all the great players that have played this game for who knows how long, never had the opportunity of playing in the super Bowl, or if you did playing in the super Bowl, you only played once and then you got Tom.
Speaker 4: You got my homes going back.
Speaker 6: Over and over and over like het like he playing the goddamn game of Madden, Tim Benling, goddamned Tom Brady that have.
Speaker 1: Been what ten times?
Speaker 4: Ten times?
Speaker 5: Ten times?
Speaker 4: This is real life.
Speaker 5: This is not a video game.
Speaker 6: Do you know how difficult it is to the super Bowl every year? Yeah, every two or every three or whatever it may be. They make it look so easy when the game is very difficult. To the point, I see why people question the game of football being rigged, the NFL being rigged, because they make it look so goddamn easy.
Speaker 4: But I swear for God. I swear for God for you, for.
Speaker 6: Those of you in the chat that watch the game of football and think, oh this is gonna happen, or oh this is stage and this is I trust me, it's not.
Speaker 1: You can't do it.
Speaker 6: Those individuals are just that good. I swear I saw it in person for a whole year.
Speaker 2: So look, that's his legacy. If he wants to come back. But the last thing you want to see is a guy that hangs on too long. We saw Johnny U nine us, we saw your namer, We saw Willie made staggering in our field's rescue soul. We've seen somebody. Our great players play a little bit longer than what they should. That's their career, that's theirs. You know, if whatever you choose to do, Hey, when you've been a great player, if you want to go out on your term, if you want to go out like that, so be it. I'm not here to judge you. But Tom, I look at Tom like a coach k, like a dean, like a pat Head Summit. Unless he did something so egregious, that is just unforgivable, right right right. You let him go out when he wants to go out. That's what they did for Coach k That's what they did for coach Coach Smith. That's what they did for a coach Summit. That's what they do for the great coach. Wouldn't I believe Tom is so great of a player. He's been so great to that organization. He's been so great to the city of Boston and the surrounding areas. You let him go out on his own. You're like, Tom, how long you want to play?
Speaker 4: Tom? I'm serious, So Joe, Yeah you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do? Yeah, I mean me.
Speaker 6: I mean listen, if he was, if he was to come back, I don't think it would be the Patriots.
Speaker 5: I don't think it would be. And the funny thing about it, No, he's over there, huh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing you said about, you know, the deal with Fox and thirty seven million or whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: What Fox ain't going nowhere?
Speaker 5: No, Fox ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 6: Fox is gonna always be there, being able to talk and be in that booth and being that balla, you know, being that booth doing football games and commentating and breaking down games.
Speaker 5: That's gonna always be there. But at forty seven, if I want to, if I want.
Speaker 6: To fulfill that childhood dream and that that urge to play and compete one more time, I mean, there's an opportunity and chance for him to do it because he is the one person that can do it at forty seven. J. J.
Speaker 2: McCarthy twenty twenty four season is over before it got started. The Vikings rookie quarterback Will be sidelined until twenty twenty five after undergoing surgery Winnsday to prepare to repair a tor maniscus in his right knee. This leaves the team veteran Sam Darnold, who signed a one year contract worth ten million dollars in Mark, as the likely starter in twenty twenty four. There are other quarterbacks on the Viking's roster twenty twenty three holdovers mcmullens at Jaron Hall. McCarthy suffered the right miniska's terrordor in the Minnesota preseason. Opened against the Las Vegas Raiders on Saturday and sat out of Money's practice with the initial thought was Niets further tests to reveal he had torn his menisca, prompting surgery.
Speaker 4: Ah, listen, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I don't wish Injuril nobody.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I show love and I praise everybody. I always take it back to nutrition. I think about our days when we played.
Speaker 5: We had too days.
Speaker 6: We practiced two out and thirty minutes a day. We didn't fall like flas. We didn't fall like flas like this. I don't know, I don't I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to.
Speaker 6: I don't want to spend it in any wrong way, you know, out of out of respect CBA protecting the players. Practices are much shorter now, you know, they have all these professional nutritionness and all these meal plans and all this all this stuff. But for some reason, now when we practice and we played, we had two days we practiced two out and thirty minutes in the mornings, took a break, rested, and had another two hour and thirty minute practice after and we played football. Yeah, no disrespect to the day's game. We played football, but we weren't falling like flash. Now engines are going to happen. Do you know how many injury this bens in training camp started? We are in week one, oh a week and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's and that's probably why you know, a lot of the startered lo Ja we played. We might have not played Game one. We played ten plays. The next play we played like twenty plays. The third game or that.
Speaker 5: Third game, were playing all the way to halftime.
Speaker 4: We go into halftime and probably the first drive of the.
Speaker 5: Third quarter yeah yeah, and the fourth quarter we relaxed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then then then the fourth game we're not playing at all and we get ready for but I wanted I wanted to play oo because I needed to get my rhythm. I was a rhythm player. Obviously offensive rhythm, but I was a rhythm player. I needed stemps. I needed a cadence. I needed to feel people banging on me my not guys in in camp on my team, right. I needed somebody else to see. I needed to see something else. I needed to see guys moving that were trying to make the team off at Yeah, yeah, game, I needed that. But I just think, oh, Jo for us, You're asking these guys to like, you know what, come in, We're not gonna do anything, not gonna do anything. And then a month later on one hundred miles an hour. Yeah, yeah, I just it's it's I think. I just think you're asking an awful lot. And maybe the guys they trained you damn much. Damn they don't get anybody a chance to heal until time off once the season was on, won't you. I took a good a good month. I ain't do nothing fot five weeks, I ain't do nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took I took about I took about two months.
Speaker 2: And then and then I was starting to gradually build back up. And now I was lifting, you know, I do a little light lifting, but I wasn't doing any running.
Speaker 4: And then the running I would gradually build up, gradually build.
Speaker 2: Up, so by the time May hit, now I'm about I'm about seventy five, eighty percent. Now June, I woulda rap that thing up to get about ninety five and then I'm gonna start tap tapering it back down, getting ready to go to camp. Make sure I ain't got no no tweets, no anything, because the last thing you want to do is going to camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nick, No, you don't want that. You don't want to go into the season.
Speaker 2: If you limp into the season, you gonna limp out of it, because how do you get help, yo Joe when you gotta practice every day and them games come like this.
Speaker 4: Here, yeah, back to back, back to back back.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the rookie bounces back, because you looked like he was off to a promise and start.
Speaker 4: I know that's not what he envisioned for his rookie season, but hey, bro.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's gonna he's gonna be Yeah, he'll learn a lot.
Speaker 6: But what the Vikings do do need to do with what they do need to do, and then it's just no disrespect to what they have on the roster that's left.
Speaker 5: Now, who do we expected me to be?
Speaker 4: The start?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Sam Donald?
Speaker 1: Dam Sam Donald.
Speaker 6: No, no disrespect to him, no disrespecting him. But we've seen the small sample size of what he.
Speaker 5: Brings to the table.
Speaker 6: Okay, but I'm calling what he's done so far a small sample side because it hasn't been much.
Speaker 4: And that and I mean no disrespect.
Speaker 6: You know, dyeing the sky don't lie, the film doesn't lie, And I mean that in the most respectful way.
Speaker 4: Sam, I love you.
Speaker 5: Now, what they need to do is to get a veteran because.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you know what Nick Mullins, You know Nick Mullins, he's with he's with Shanahan and hard eighteen because they.
Speaker 4: Cost so much.
Speaker 6: They can't do eighteen like that over there. They got to get They got to get that young fella somebody. They got to give him some type of gunslinger, They got to give him some type of security, some type of something, because what's going to happen is the numbers are going to the numbers are going to to what's the.
Speaker 1: Word I'm looking for decrease.
Speaker 6: They're going to decrease because of who's at the Helm. They got to get him somebody in there. I don't I don't know who. Where's Where's where's Garoppolo.
Speaker 4: I don't know where Jimmy g in Atlanta is in Atlanta. I don't know where he's at.
Speaker 6: I'm just somebody who can hell Fitzpatrick bring Fitzpatrick out of retirement.
Speaker 4: No, it's over fits Magic. I mean, you know, listen, he's not magic. He's at the Rams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's behind Stetson Bennett because it's it's Stafford Bennett and then Jimmy g Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Jimmy can slang that thing man the porn stars, Jimmy can slang that thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gonna be at the A B A v PC convention. Hey, they need, they need, they need to go get him.
Speaker 6: And I'm I'm I'm telling you at some point in the season, justin Jeffers is he's gonna he's gonna act a fool. He's gonna act a fool.
Speaker 2: As much as Jack Prescott's contractual future has been a constant talking point of the off season, he says he's knocking sooned by it, I'm not putting that much starting to it, hoping it gets done now, hoping it gets done in a couple of weeks during the season, or whenever it happens. I just know converse stations are on.
Speaker 4: The right way back.
Speaker 2: And then in the final year of his deal, he said to make twenty nine million dollars count fifty five million against the cap without an extension, Dak will hit the free agency market and count forty million against the Cowboys cap in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: What he has, o Jo, they cannot franchise it, right.
Speaker 5: They can't trade him either.
Speaker 4: They cannot trade him, so he has all the power.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, which you know what? Which think about this?
Speaker 4: How many?
Speaker 5: How many times are players in a position where they had the team by the balls?
Speaker 1: Think about it?
Speaker 4: Not often?
Speaker 6: Not often, not often at all? I mean, is a chess move? If I if I was Dak, I mean, what do you do? What would you do if you was Dak? If me myself, if I was Dak and understanding the circus that comes with being a part of the Star, I would better myself like he's always done, like he's always done.
Speaker 2: A choice now, Ojo, because I don't think they're gonna get it done because what he's looking for, he's looking for sixty million. He's looking to reset the market. He's looking at something around five years he.
Speaker 1: Should be able to do.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what what's holding up CDs deal as well.
Speaker 2: So I think, Ojo, that's what they're looking at. Huh, sixty he's looking at sixty million. He's looking to reset the market.
Speaker 5: Well, if you're gonna reset it, let's go fifty sixty years.
Speaker 2: No, that ain't reset in the market. Fifty five. You got three guys making fifty five. In order to reset it, you got to go sixty. I'm just I'm just telling you because here's the thing, O Joe, as Jared Might says, I'm not willing to go there.
Speaker 4: But in free agency, oh.
Speaker 5: In order to get an agency, he might get sixty five.
Speaker 2: In order to get a player to leave the situation that he's currently in, you're going to have to overpay it.
Speaker 6: Pay yeah, most definitely every time. And this isn't the wonderful thing about the NFL too. Depending on when when a player's time is up, because very few times do you get to a position and you are a it's unrestricted, right, am I saying it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's gonna be unrestricted, unrestricted freedging very few times, especially the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Is it with no chance of the tag being placed on you nothing.
Speaker 6: So that means you getting every every bit of dollar plus something because whenever, especially somewhat a quarterback like the caliber of back Prescott, which some would make fun of him and say, well, he hadn't done anything. Listen, he changes the dynamic of a team because there's no one else you can put in his place on the Cowboys right now except maybe the top five or five or six quarterbacks in the NFL, and they would still.
Speaker 5: Do the same thing, and probably a little further in the postseason.
Speaker 4: But Dak, is it all right?
Speaker 2: I'd like to cut you off. But we got a very very special guess we got. We got the Olympic four hundred meter hurdle champ.
Speaker 4: What's that's right? That's about that came and redeemed himself. He says, oh, come coping back? What's up? He said? He coming back? He won the revenge.
Speaker 2: He's been chasing Carston Warholme, the world record holder for the better part of three years, and he finally tracked him down the Norwegian and the Rye. Here yours, ladies and gentlemen, your four hundred meter hurdle champ with a time of forty six forty six, Rye Benjamin.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir nephew, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I'm living in dream right now. I'm living in dream. Brother.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Rye. Obviously, you have an outstanding season. You have been performing really really well. Give us your mindset going into the Olympics. You had raised him. I think you raised him once before at a Diamond League meet pre Olympics, and so you had to feel good because you beat him, and you had beaten him three times since he last beat you.
Speaker 4: I think at the at the Olympics Budapest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Budapest. The won Budapest last year. And then we went to Prefontaine, I wont not meet, and we went to Monaco before the Olympics, now the big one. We were all there.
Speaker 4: I won that one.
Speaker 1: So going into the Olympics, I was I felt really confident, I was calm, I really trusted myself. I think mentally I was in a way different place than I was. I could tell yeah, previous years and previous seasons, so I mean, I just I went in. I had the confidence, you know, like I felt good. Energy in the stadium was ridiculous. It was actually like I've been to a lot of football games. I've been to I at Death Valley, lsu Okay, and I have never heard a stadium get that loud in my entire life. It was crazy. So it was, it was, it was. It was a phenomenal, phenomenal experience. So just you know, I went in with a completely different mindset and I was like, yeah, like I'm I'm the guy to beat and the only person that's going to beat me is me.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I have a question speaking of that race at the Olympics, did you understand his strengths and weaknesses and did you have any type of strategic game plan going into that race and knowing what to do and when when to kind of hit it, win to back off?
Speaker 5: Will be your plans?
Speaker 1: In general? I think so over the past three four years, we raced so much so I've seen every single race plan, every race strategy, and I think for me, the three of us are so good that very little separates us, and it's about who could be on on that day, who's going to get it on that day, and I think, you know, throughout the entire cycle of the Semis, I mean the heat Semis finals, you know, I got dealt the right hand and those guys were now ran fast like the first two rounds. So I knew being out in lane eight, I was going to be the one to kind of dictate what the race would look like. So in my head I was like, all right, like I need to I need to really push the pace, but do too much so I have enough to come home that last rights when when when? When we got out, like he gets out really really hard, so he covered me a little bit right, and my whole thing was all right, just run in lane eight, like focus on your your ten hurdles in your lane and get off that turn, like put your foot in the ground and just go oh yeah. And then coach Watts quincy watch. He has a we have this we joke around sometimes and he's like, yeah, if it's leaving, I'm leaving. So we got off. We got off hurdle seven, and I was like, all right, man, I'm out of here. Man, So whatever happens happens. And I don't know if you guys saw, but like I was coming out off of seven and I stumbled a little bit. I was running so fast that like the centrifugal force pulled me out to the outside of the lane and I kind of like stumbled a little bit, and I think that kind of costed me like maybe forty six flight. But at the same time, like I just had so much momentum, I just kept going. So that was just that was my That was my game plan going in. To be honest with you, just run my pattern. Do what I've been doing in the entire season. I mean, Uncle, we talked, you know, Uncle, send me a message sometimes after the race, even if it went good or bad. So I mean, yeah, it was. It was. It was phenomenal man and them. I'm on cloud nine right now.
Speaker 2: I could tell right when I when I the thing that I was that I was. I always wondered. I say, and all these guys, you look at yourself. I mean, the four fastest guys ever in Herland history was in that race. Aberdeen Ensemble, Dose Santos, warm home yourself. If I find all you guys up and I say, run one hundred meters, you're gonna win. If I line all you guys up in the two hundred and say race you're gonna win. If I find all you guys up in the four hundred and say race you're gonna win, I say, why don't right, put this man under the gun.
Speaker 1: See it's it's a different so that I always the four hundred and the foreigner hurdles are too completely animal really yeah, it's a completely different rhythm. And if if anything, it's like you know, when you drive a really fast car, it just kind of wants to go all the time. Yeah, well you'll, you'll, you'll, you'll, you'll be in the neighborhood and there'll be a speed bump on the row and you can't really go. So you're kind of like gunning it light to lath but you can't. I can't really do what I need to do because these hurdles are in my way and I gotta be on a certain pattern. And if that, if you're not on that pattern, like you start stutter stepping up, and it kind of ruins the rhythm. You were just talking about how when you played, you need to be in a certain rhythm, and you needed those games to to get in that rhythm, that offensive rhythm. So for for me, it's like I need to be on that rhythm consistently. Okay, sometimes it requires me slowing down a little bit, and no matter how strong you are, you still got to get over those ten barriers. So that was the Uh, that's that was kind of the the kryptonite for me. I mean, like in the even like you can see when I run open fours or even in the four by four, like I can let it go.
Speaker 2: Yeah you care, And I was about I was about to have feel about that in the open four.
Speaker 4: You know Tobogo, you know he'd run low forty four.
Speaker 2: You know he just ran nineteen forty six, He's run nine eighty six, so you know he has the strength. So when you got the baton, what was your what was your strategy? Because when you say what you say, I'm gonna say what I thought you were gonna do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when I got the Bryce did a phenomenal deal. I mean from from Chris to Vernon. Uh, you know, v like he v had a hell of a meet, hell of a me.
Speaker 4: Burn really open it up for you, Burn, Burn get the job.
Speaker 1: That's my roommate. That's my roommate. So so when Bryce brought the baton, in. I mean, he was forty three five, like on fire coming through, and I saw how close the Botswana kid was closing shot. In my head, I'm like, okay, if when he gets the baton, he's gonna be at least two steps behind me, Yeah, and I know he's gonna try and either cover me or sit on the first the first hundred. So in my head, I was like, all right, don't blast the first hundred like you usually do out in about like ten to nine ten eight, so you can hold it down the backstretch that way, I can get his legs moving because he's Tobogo, He's he's a two hundred guy and he just ran nineteen four. So my whole thought process was he could probably make it too. I know you can run to three hundred, he could probably make it to three fifty. And this last fifty is going to be hot if I could bring us through three hundred at like thirty one flat. So I'm like all right. In my head, I'm just like, all right, take him out first hundred, let him spin his legs down the back stretch and even doing that, and like I can hear him, and it got so loud in that stadium, but I can hear him behind me, so I'm in my head. I'm just like, all right, stay calm, stay calm, keep that cadence, keep spinning. And he stayed at Bay. And then we got to that last one twenty and it looks like I was jogging, but I'm so smooth. I was open man, and I was just like, are we gonna get it this last hundred? This list? We got through three hundred to three fifty, and he's still at Bay, and I like kind of the crowd made Yeah, the crowd made a sound. And usually when the crowd makes it sound, it's either somebody pulls up or somebody fell. So'm I looked up at the jumble tron and I'm just like, I couldn't see him because his uniforms blowing. The track is purple, right, and I'm so fast, so I check again and I was like, damn, he's still here, Like I gotta go. So like Doug Deep got to three fifty and about five ten meters before the line, like I was, I was, I was honestly shot and it was just but it was too yeah, And that's where the reps and and and being disciplined and being experienced like comes in because I know when that happens, like you're not really getting any faster that last hundred. What's happening is is who's slowing down the slow slowest. So for me, it was just like, man like, don't get walked. Man like I get to go medal du yeah on TV in front of these people, because I wasn't gonna hear the end of it. So yeah, I did exactly that and write it home for them guys.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So I was like real really hyped up and pumped up about that.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm not gonna lie. I thought he was gonna cover you early.
Speaker 2: I said he had the type of speed that he's gonna put right under the gun quick.
Speaker 4: I thought he would jump you.
Speaker 2: I actually thought he would cover you over the first one hundred to one fifty and then get the lead and then settle down.
Speaker 4: What he did, and I'm like, I think he might be making a mistake. I see now go ahead now.
Speaker 1: I think if I got out any slower, he probably would have done that. Okay, but I got out at such a pace where it was like it's it's kind of enticing where you kind of want to go. But you know, you know if you go you're gonna die. I can really because I run hurdles and it's so rhythmic, and I know how to differentiate times like I know like what threshold and and what kind of cadence to be on. So it was just it was just kind of like a bait and switch kind of deal. And and just it's a it's a gamble.
Speaker 4: You just just kind of.
Speaker 1: Plays out and played out very well.
Speaker 6: So it works perfectly, especially when you know your opponent, you know your you know your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and the fact that you understood.
Speaker 5: His at that time, you knew what to do in that race.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the funny things as soon as you got as soon as you got the baton, as soon as you got the baton and started.
Speaker 4: Going, that's looking.
Speaker 5: Does anyone else tell you your you're running mechanics in your gate?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 5: Is it similar to Michael Johnson?
Speaker 4: I heard you notice that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Straight up? My glass is like, yeah, I'm like, what the hell? That looked like? I got there?
Speaker 1: You got to be that way because when you start tenson and you start muskling stuff like that's when you start going backwards. So that's that's really the trick right there. To be honest, it's just staying relaxed, staying open and just running really really efficiently. Did you really no waste in movement? None of that? Right?
Speaker 2: We had Michael Johnson on and I remember in Stutguard when they broke the world record into four hundred meters they ran two fifty four twenty nine.
Speaker 4: And I can go back in my head.
Speaker 2: I know Andrew Bauman laid off with forty four five and he went to quinfit your coke, and I think he ran forty three three, forty three five. He had it to the world record holder at the time, Butcher rentals and he ran low forty forty three.
Speaker 4: The race was blown open.
Speaker 2: Michael Johnson got the baton and he said, because we had almost broke the world record where we broke.
Speaker 4: It, but I read like mid forty four, almost forty five.
Speaker 2: Because I was asking him, I saying, Mike, you do realize you ran sub forty three with a thirty minute lead, with a thirty of me to lead. And I said why He said, because I didn't want to hear their miles. He said they had talked about me so bad, so he ran forty two nine. Did you think you guys had a chance going into that race? Did you think this was going to be the.
Speaker 4: Second fastest four hundred four by four into history.
Speaker 1: I thought we could have broken it last year. So after the past, like if you if you go to my Instagram, you look at my last relay post from Budapest, I was like, let's go after the world record next year because we had all we had all the pieces. Quincy's running well, V's running well. I mean I can get on the relay and give you a really hot split. Michael Norman he was coming back to run well, Chris Bailey, Bryce Deadman, and then we had little Quincy just like you know, just shoot up out of uh I mean, I'm not gonna say out of nowhere, but like no one was expecting him to run forty four low and it's just phenomenal. So we had all the pieces. The issue is is figuring out who to put on what leg to maximize those legs. Okay, and I think because Quincy had that little tweaking his hamstring in his final like, we had to reshuffle the order. But I knew we still had the pieces because V had split forty three because uh.
Speaker 4: Mix, yeah, and because he ran to mix relay and open the qualifier.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so V had the forty three in him. I knew. I knew Bryce had forty three in him as well too, because he was consistently running forty forty four lows. So I knew if if if Bryce lights come on, he's gonna bring that stick around because he's from TEXTA and M, so he's gonna run. And and it just all came down to what my leg would be. I actually wanted to run second. It's me because I knew if I ran second, I would run forty two eight or forty two nine.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, I just know second leg is the best as the best leg because you can on that tangent when you cut in, you can kind of cheat some meters if you do it right. Yeah, So why all them second leg splits were so fast? I mean, you still got to be fast to be on that second leg, but like, if you do it right and you run a good tangent, like I'm telling you, you can cheat it a little bit and you can get that split. So initially, so when that happened, you know, you know coach Mike marsh came and was just like, hey, man, like I need a dog on anchor leg, because yeah.
Speaker 4: You had to be on anchor so Roth.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to cut you off, but I don't know if anybody could have hold, could have played off Tobago off other than you, because you, like you said, you had a strategy. He didn't put you under the gun because of your I think somebody else would have panicked. And if you panic in that situation, he gonna chase you down like the great Britain did. Antonio Pettigrew, We saw low a good friend of mine, Angelo Taylor. Same thing in the Olympics. If you panic on that anchor leg, because everybody got their board. Dog on the anchor so everybody can go sub forty three, could go a sub forty four on the anchor leg.
Speaker 1: If so you all did, like every single as the first leg was forty three, then them boys came to run. I ain't really can't. They were not playing around, man, they were not playing around.
Speaker 4: I did not see this.
Speaker 2: I did not see I did not see two fifty four thirty five. I damn sure didn't see the women. I damn sure didn't see the women challenging the Soviets because I was enough to see that.
Speaker 4: Remember that race and.
Speaker 2: Soul when the Soviet women and it would flow Joe and the four hundred meter champ on anchor leg I want an.
Speaker 1: Eye SERTs on the Soviets. Listen, Hey, they weren't there, so they not there for re Iji.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but man, I mean you ran forty three thirteen. The bog runs forty three oh three. That's the fastest flip that you ever run by Foard. Yeah you know, I mean think about it now, you just run forty four forty six through the round.
Speaker 4: Qualified did what you needed before the night before? Yes, did you know you had that in your legs?
Speaker 1: Uh? Not really, to be honest with you. In my head, I'm just like, yo, man, like I need to. I like, when we both got to stick, I was like, I don't know if the broadcast showed it, but I like turned in the stands and I just started to smile, and I'm like, yeah, this is about to be crazy. Yeah, and yeah I got lock in for this one. But I mean when it comes to the relays, like I'm usually that's the fun part, Like I always tell people that's the fun part. The hard part is doing your individual event. The fun part is when you get all those guys together. Although where there's a team track and field as an individual sport, so it's just one of those things where you have a moment to share as a team. And I think that's where I thrive, is when we come together as a team and share like this experience. So when I got the stick in my head, I'm like, I can't let these boys down because they did their job. Yeah, I got to do my all on you and and bring home go for Tmosa. So that was just that was that was the focus for me. But I had no idea. We got to the backstretch. My agent was on the backstretch and I was like, where did I split? He was like forty three thirteen. I was like, there's no way. But it was a it was I couldn't believe it because like after I got done, like I wasn't on the floor. I mean I had a little bit of lactic acid, but I just feel like I was just so excited.
Speaker 4: You floating, bro.
Speaker 5: I was like, man, it was just it was definitely definitely floating.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you this can I can I get you to the women.
Speaker 2: You had Filmka, you had see it, and everybody's trying to build this thing up because Filmica won the indoor she ran forty nine seventeen. We saw seid who really she's run twenty two oh seven in the two hundred meters, which is still like the eighth or ninth fastest time ever.
Speaker 4: Covered by woman.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four we saw her run forty eight seventy five, is just slightly off the American record. Why would they trying to build this up when Filke has never been closed to see it.
Speaker 1: I think because the week prior they FEMK went to this meet and had run fifty point nine. So and she did it by herself, And I think what people neglected about that. Although I mean, fifty point nine is ridiculously fast and she did a phenomenal job just navigating ten hurdles by herself doing that, I think what people neglected about that meat because a lot of fast times came out of that meat. It was at altitude, yeah, and a lot of people don't realize when you're at altitude you have less resistance in the year. So that's why that kind of hype came, and you kind of want to build the hype around the event to as well too, because m K was running well all year and it seemed as though that she was the one to give Sydney a run for her money. But Sidney is like, she's like man like. But but what you seen john Wick, Yes, coach coach Holloway from from Florida called me John Wick. I called Sidney john Wick. She listen, She's gonna kill you every time, man she's and if if she doesn't, it's gonna be you. You're gonna have to. It's gonna have to be an act of God for her to lose a race. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Every world record site it is said she's been running by herself. It's not like she's getting pushed. It's not like somebody's going over hurdle nine with her. I think the only time the Lula Mohammad pushed her. I think the last Olimpic, the Lula push Delila Muhammad pushed her. But if you look at Seid's record at the Prefontaine, you look at her at the USA, you look at her at this meat, ain't nobody closed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean she just runs with such confidence, you know, and is I feel like at a certain point you could teach so much and then after that it's just pure God given talent man, and and she just has that and that you can't teach, can instill in anybody. You're just born with that, and there's just nothing you could do about that at all.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Keim, if you agree or disagree, I think said finishes out this year. Maybe she runs one meet, maybe she runs another meat and she does the World Championships in the four hundred hurdles.
Speaker 4: But I think after that, I think Bobby.
Speaker 2: Gonna move her down to the no barriers and she's gonna go after that forty seven sixty by Madarena Cope.
Speaker 1: I think she does it next year. Okay, I think she does it next year. I mean like it's like what a like what else does she need to accomplish in the in the fronter Like that is like so far out of reach. I mean I feel like she would for fun run it once and maybe like.
Speaker 4: You try to go sub fifty, she goes sub fifty.
Speaker 1: But I mean like she's she's she's she's proven, Like she broke the word record twice this year. You know, it's like she doesn't have anything else to prove in the event. So I mean, I I like, why not go run the four next year? I feel like that would be my thought process, like let's go try something else. And yeah, well you never know, this is Bobby. You know, Mobby listened and he you know, he just he that man trying to leave legacies. Yeah. Yeah, so I mean I don't see why not. It's not far fetched.
Speaker 2: Paulino at Nassler, she got I mean, Paulino just ran forty eight seventeen, which is what I think it might be the third or fourth fastest time ever run for a woman in the open four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got crackhal over, you got cold.
Speaker 2: And I think her at forty eight seventeen that might be the that might be the third his third or fourth, fourth female covered four hundred meters.
Speaker 1: I know that. Yeah, I think, you know, listen, I think I think Sydney gets locked in and honed into an event and she figures out that rhythm and she and they really hone in on a pattern to do it. He's dangerous because she's she's you can't you she's twenty two old. Open and the two you got the foot speed and she ran ten nine if I'm not mistaken. When she was at Kentucky at UF bringing outside it was crazy.
Speaker 4: So she could come through easy. It ain't a play for her to do twenty three five and.
Speaker 1: Then getting on that rhythm, She gets on that rhythm and then she's dangerous.
Speaker 4: Oh Joe, what you got for listen again?
Speaker 5: Congratulations, That's that's that's, that's all I got, man.
Speaker 6: I'm happy just to hear the stories you know, and that that feeling and watching you run that last lead, bro Man, So kudos, salute, congratulations. There's really not much more I can say your ask at this point. I'm just I'm just I'm just happy for you and look forward to all future endeavors.
Speaker 4: Man on that track, Yes, sir, you know Michael got this this this track series. Are you going to join that? Ry?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Hey, reach out brother, but the money, the money, the money, see.
Speaker 1: Reach out man. I had some conversations with Kyle he's he's uh, he's working with Michael as well too, so I like what they're doing. I feel like this Olympics and this year was really pivotal for track and field and it really it really got some We got some new eyes on the sport and people interested. So, uh, it doesn't stop for us at the Olympics. Guys like, it's just we have a whole season and we have this coming up. So all those head to heads that you saw at the Olympics, like, you can see them on numerous occasions throughout the year. And and Sid's gonna be on that circuit as well too. I know one of the first ones that Michael signed this well too. So I know a lot of people like give her a lot a lot of uh grief about not racing enough during the year. Well you're gonna see her race there, so tune in. But they reach out to me, Hey, I'm in there, you feel me?
Speaker 2: Do you have any more meets? I know there are a couple of Diamond League meets still left in the season. Are you gonna I know, you don't like going overseas, you don't like that long plane ride, get off a play head to the track and go run.
Speaker 4: You don't really like that. But are we gonna see ride in any Diamond League meets?
Speaker 1: Now I'm done for this season.
Speaker 4: You're gonna ride this way, You're gonna ride.
Speaker 1: Ride this wave out. Man, Like, I don't think people understand the the level of mental commitment and and gymnastics that you gotta be at throughout the entire because I started competing Monday, So I went Monday through Sunday, and it was me and Vernon, Shelby mceue and the high jumper Michael Norman and Bryce. We're all in the same room, so I mean, I mean, we were all just kind of feeding off each other. So it's a it's a lot to mentally be in the room that entire week and and and just to come down from it and the nerves and whatnot, like it it takes a lot. Like imagine competing that playing at the super Bowl for an entire week exactly. That's literally what it was. So I'm gonna take this time to enjoy it, enjoy it with my mom because she was out there and and I feel like this one was like really big for her. I feel like I'm still trying to conceptualize what happened this entire week. So I mean, I'm gonna do that, see my friends, see my family, and just just really just you know, enjoy this because I'm Olympic champion, you know, a lot of people work their entire lives for this, and I was able to achieve that not once, but twice this week. So I'm gonna, I'm gonna live it up and I'm gonna I'm gonna enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And and yeah, oh ko, you didn't know this, but Ry was a quarterback, right, what made you give up?
Speaker 1: Man? I was a wide receiver? My dad, My dad said the wrong thing. Okay, I played wide receiver in free safety in high school.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, So why why did you give up football and went to the.
Speaker 1: Track Because I'm from New York and people of New York don't get good scholarships to go to big D one schools. Yeah yeah, so I was like I ran track and it was like, you know, like I wasn't really getting we weren't getting good recruits or recruiters coming out to my high school because we were small high school in Westchester County in New York. So you know, we had one or two guys like you know, go to big universities, but it wasn't like we were going to like LSU or or USC or a Clemson, you know what I mean. So it was just one of those things where you know, that was my avenue out, you know. And uh and I was really good at track my freshman year, so I just stuck with it.
Speaker 4: So you originally went to u C.
Speaker 1: L A, then transferred to the ULA for two years. I thought about walking on. To be honest with you, yeah, you gotta give it your trash scholarship because the title not no way in hell, but uh yeah, like a part of me wish I played in college. Yeah, to be honest with you, I'm not gonna pull a Tyreek and say like, you know, I'm fast and now or I can go Yeah, how.
Speaker 4: You know I'm ask you that? How you ask you that?
Speaker 1: Do you believe I'm gonna say on the show, I'm tired of the no allowed slander, man.
Speaker 4: That's my talk to us.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about it. I'm the slander. I'm not saying like I can go out and do what you guys do and catch a ball across the middle. I know how hard it is. Not hard it is to read plays and and and and memorize stuff and and go out there and put your body at risk every day. But Tyreek, you're not beating no in a hundred. Man. There's just no way, and you probably won't even beat the top collegiate guys, Toady.
Speaker 2: I mean if he long well, not now, but if he were to drop out, he's one ninety five if he got down The one like.
Speaker 4: One currently is that his friend is about one pounds but tall and free. Fred like what fixed one six?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Typrek five nine?
Speaker 1: You think he's really one ninety five?
Speaker 4: Solid f Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, little Rocky rocked up low right.
Speaker 2: So so you let me ask you a question. Who do you think? Who do you think could make it on the football team? Could no one played football? Could Fred play?
Speaker 4: Fred played football for the longest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Brent Fred one hundred percent could play football. Donald Scott, triple jumper, can play football. He played at Michigan State.
Speaker 4: Look came up?
Speaker 1: Who else could play football? If I if I we got a lot of good athletes on the team, man, like, like, I think Vernon Turner could play football as well to another high jumper, yeah, Javan, Like, we we got some athletes. We got some actual athletes.
Speaker 2: I can get you. I can get you a wire reiet try right if you want it? Hey man, listen, no, no, you're not messing legs up.
Speaker 4: No I do.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, no, telling you. I'm going to go round. I'm on the go route, that go around all I need that goal. I'm out here like this.
Speaker 2: No, you gotta tell her that world record that ruck. I mean, right, how close are you to get the world record? Forty five ninety four. Everything's gonna have to be perfect, Yeah, everything has to be perfect. I feel like conditioned right track right people in the race.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm at a fitness level to do it right now because when we ran the world record in Tokyo that year, I split forty three five on the relay, and I just split forty three one, So the fitness is there. I think it just comes down to, like I said, like in that that rhythm, and I think for me it was more so about getting the metal than it was running at time. Okay it's me And I think now because now I got the you got the medal, the elusive color, I can now freely go about and just you know, just go out and just let it loose and and and see what happens. So now I can kind of shift my focus a little bit and and and and try to go after that, but that's a conversation for for next year. Next year's gonna be a long year and and the long season, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: So you're done, So let me ask your question, when will you resume training? Okay, you say you're done, your track season is over. You're gonna take a month off, you take two months off. You wait till the top of the year. What what does Rod do in the meantime? You don't do any ors, do you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, I don't do indoors. I I'm gonna take a month about a month off. I cycle. I started cycling last year. I'm gonna do that here and there. I met a great group of people out here and uh motifact little road behind like bike okay, okay, like actual bicycle road bike. So I'm gonna do that. And I won't start practice till November, around November fifth, because the season goes so late September next year, Okay, yeah, yeah, Tokyo World Championship.
Speaker 2: World Championship, yeap bro. I mean if we had Quincy, we talked to Quintin. Now you get you, Quiffy Verne Deadman. Y'all gotta go two fifty three and it'll be another thirty years before somebody get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would. I believe we could do it. I mean, like like I told Quincy before I left, I was like, Bro, like you you Olympic champ dog, Like take care, you take care of your body, make sure you're healthy, because like this is like that. What he did was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Crazy. I never seen like he really got that dog in the shit he does.
Speaker 4: I need you to dig dary. They got to put the quiffy Hall gonna do it.
Speaker 1: He's gonna do it. So I mean we could do it and we stay healthy next year and keep this momentum going like it was just it was. It was great energy in the detail, Bro, I can tell you it was great. It was great, I think, but like across the board, like different sports. I mean, we were cheaging each other on it was. It was the team energy too. Was It was infectious down in the in that camp.
Speaker 4: So it was. It was.
Speaker 2: I mean, you look at Cole Hawker, what he did in the fifteen hundred meters, you look at grand Picture.
Speaker 4: What he did in the five and the.
Speaker 1: Night my voice that night chair for that man.
Speaker 4: So man, it was.
Speaker 1: It was one of the best experience of my entire life. It was the best track me in my entire life.
Speaker 4: So right, man, thanks for joining us. Hey, guys, do it a favor.
Speaker 2: Make sure you go follow around il g at King ben Rock Rock. Congratulations, Man, you are proud of your nephew. Man, good luck, enjoy your time off the Olympic champ Rod Benjamin Man, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Uh that pavements on the way.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: But don't speak.
Speaker 1: Man in his word, huh.
Speaker 4: I don't spit it. Don't spend it all in one place.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I'm not. I'm not. I'm gonna. I'm gonna follow in the wise footsteps again holloween and I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I'm gonna donate some of it to uh A good cause that I'm passionate about.
Speaker 4: So yeah, hey sir.
Speaker 2: Again, congratulations Man, thanks for stopping by Nightcap. We greatly greatly appreciate it. I know our subscribers, our watchers, our viewers, our listener they were supporting you all the way. So thanks for coming on, sharing some insight what was going on in your head the atmosphere of the ambiance of the Olympics. Again, congratulations, Enjoy your time off and we'll see you down the road.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and shout out the editors. Man, And y'all got it right this time right.
Speaker 2: They got the dude got Bailey on his bill. Confuse Bailey and Benjamin.
Speaker 1: And I'm not like skinned either.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, but you you got them a reprieve because they come on, bro, y'all can't y'all can't have a gap that.
Speaker 1: Big chick it that that's the right there.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: Congratulations man, enjoy your time off, man, Thank you, Lippy old man listened to Poor Herd to meet the hurdles, Rod Benjamin, thanks Rocher.
Speaker 1: All Right, the volume