Speaker 1: Hey, this is exciting My guests today. Well, first off, there's two of them, so it's double the fun. They are naturally very funny people. They're also very kind and warm people, and I really enjoyed chatting with them. It's funny because, you know, I interviewed my wife a few weeks back, and that was a really rare occasion for us. But this couple that I talked to today, they seem to love being interviewed and they do it really well, even if they are from zooming from different places, probably different parts of their house, but I don't know. But my guests today are Seth Rogan and his wife, Lauren Miller Rogan. So listen up, lean in. I'm glad you're here. I am super excited today to have Lauren Miller Rogan and Seth Rogan on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You guys are the first couple that we've had. You're probably not going to be surprised to hear that. Uh. And it's also a little bit coincidental because the second podcast that I'm going to do today, I'm going to interview my wife, which should be interesting, you know, I mean, good good.
Speaker 3: Luck with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this is a good warm up. I don't know what exactly, yeah, exactly, but I mean, listen, you know, I don't think I have a feeling that you, the two of you, don't often do the interviews together. Am I right about that?
Speaker 3: Not our first?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: First, we've Yeah, we've done a couple, We've done a couple of ye. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I guess I guess your involvement with the with the charity has made that, you know, kind of possible. I know that for Kira and me, we try to avoid it, like the plague and the Yeah. I mean, the problem with it to me is, and I'm saying this because I'm about to jump into this, is the questions are just irritating. Do you How do you feel about answering questions about your marriage? I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: I feel like because often the interviews that we do together are focused on our charity. They generally are focused on our charity, whereas you know, I guess in those moments where we're doing things that are not focused on our charity. Sure, the last about our marriage, and it's just like you know, it depends on how you're.
Speaker 3: Feeling and what you want to share.
Speaker 4: I think it's like we do share a chunk of our personal life having this organization, but certainly there are many things we do not want to talk about and do not so you know, it's it's always like, you know, I feel like it depends on the day, right, Like I don't know, Seth, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like we haven't you know, I feel like we both have I have a good sense of one another's discretionary preferences. But yeah, you know, also like we come from a place where, like when we first started dating, I was on like Howard Stern every other year, so like a lot of it came out. Probably that a lot more came out than I would have preferred it.
Speaker 3: Probably much earlier.
Speaker 1: On in retrospect.
Speaker 3: And never listen to how long?
Speaker 1: How long have you been married?
Speaker 4: We've been married for twelve years, but we've been together for over eighteen.
Speaker 1: Now, amazing. Wow, And how did you how did you meet?
Speaker 3: We met?
Speaker 5: I was a writer on The Ali g Show in two thousand and four, and I was twenty two. I guess twenty four, yeah, twenty two, And my friend Will Riser was a producer on the show, and he was around our age.
Speaker 3: He was a year older basically, and he was dating my friend Lawrence basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so so yeah, they kind of suggested that we would like each other and we all went to a party one night together and and that was it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I gotta say it's it's probably I don't know, not that often that when you hear those stories, it's I always think, isn't that great that somebody had had the understanding the friends could have the understanding of two people to know that they would be you know, it's kind of beautiful in a way to have friends that would like kind of get get that. On the other hand, it doesn't happen that often though.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I never set people up, but specifically I don't want to deal with the fallout of it. We were pretty young, so maybe they weren't understanding the full social ramifications of it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I hate setting people up for that exact reason.
Speaker 1: Hate it.
Speaker 4: Do it when it's when people are like, oh a little bit. It's like, sure, well you're nice and you're nice, you'll have a good time. But it's like, oh, it's so much pressure.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever tried to tell you the truth. I can't think of a single time when I've ever really tried to set set somebody up, But I wouldn't be terrified. I fit.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 5: And at this point, if I know you and your single like, I will never set you up with someone like.
Speaker 3: If you if you've.
Speaker 5: Made it this long, then I would never throw you at the throw you into a relationship with someone I know.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something. We we we are both you're both in the in the simpler in the same business, uh, directing, producing, acting, all that kind of stuff. How how often do you discuss the day to day ups and downs and ins and outs of career and and work and business.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would say all all the time. Yeah, it's you know, it's it's a it's a balance. As you know, obviously our careers have been different. But I would say the fact that we both do the same thing is something that is really beneficial to our relationship because we both really have an understanding of of you know, how it feels for it to go well and how it feels for it to not go well, and you know, and and and literally I mean as as writers, and certainly this is a tricky line to walk and it doesn't always go well. But like you know, we can share what we're working on and give feedback and have conversations and be supportive of it. Again, doesn't always go well, but so I think it's for us, it's you know, it's great that we have that in common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you put the word that you use just now, which is something that I really always hold on to, is an understanding of what it is. So you know, like if you go, if you have a I mean, of course there's marriages where one person would be you know, an actor or another would be a you know, a dentist, and it could work out fine. But but for people that are in the entertainment business, the things that seem sometimes really kind of big and hard seem kind of silly to the outside world. You know, like if I'm giving an example, like if I if I go, you know, hey, she's like, what what's wrong? Why? You know what you seem like you're, well, you know, I just read this review and you know this guy my age, you know, just got you just got this great review or just want to you know, an oscar or whatever it is. I mean, to the outside world, people go that is just stupid. I mean, why would you let that even affect your day? And it's the slightest bit, but there is a kind of empathy and kind of understanding about what it is that we do for a living. Not to mention just a shorthand of you know, whatever terms you want to use, you know, call times and back end things.
Speaker 5: Like exactly we talked about our back end mostly I talk I talk about her back We Uh, well, no, you're right. I think that's something that we're both very at peace with that it and in tune with is is one another?
Speaker 3: You know? Is that? Is that exactly what you're saying? You get wrapped up.
Speaker 5: You know, our emotional stakes are different in this job. Some would say, you know, the things that we get worked up about are are inconsequential to others, but to us, they're very meaningful. When you pour yourself into your work and when you identify through your work, and when you're an artist and you want people to see you through your work, and when it's not received how you want, like, yeah, I think I could see how.
Speaker 3: You know. We what's nice is we are both in a position to.
Speaker 5: Truly understand like how how how how painful that can be, you know, and we don't kind of belittle that at all, as as my other friends do.
Speaker 3: To meet.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I have friends that do the same thing. For me, it is that just don't get it. And men family members too that are kind of like, yeah, dude, shut up.
Speaker 5: I've been with the I've been with filmmakers as we've been as we've been like releasing movies that are breaking literal like box office records, and and the filmmaker is still just focused on the fact that, like the tomato score is not what and yeah, and and and I get and whenever I'm like, I get it.
Speaker 3: Like I see, I feel the pain and it's and it does. Yeah, yeah, that's painful.
Speaker 1: Exactly. You used the word recently. I want to ask you both about this that I have been uh I'm coming to a new understanding of it. And the word is artists. And I can tell you that when I uh became an actor, I was super super focused on just getting famous and getting wretch and getting girls. That was one hundred had nothing to do.
Speaker 3: And you crush that man, so exactly.
Speaker 1: It was it had nothing to do with the with the with art you know, it was like to me, Bryan Brandt was an artist and what I was doing was wearing makeup and you know, of saying somebody else's words. But I think more recently I've started to think about art and the impact that art can have on people, uh individually, you know, in the ways that they feel about life, and then and the ways that that that culture responds to things and even uh you know, the political change or awareness of of of issues or whatever. And and I'm not just talking about making films or writing, directing, you know, acting in films that have some kind of great, big social point of view. But I mean I'm about making horror movies or comedies. You know, you can impact people with these And I'm starting to feel like, well, that's really what art is, that's what it has been. And I just wondered if if you've ever had any kind of resistance to that concept, and whether you have you know, a point of view about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you went to art school or in so I think you were conditioned from a very young age to accept that, which is nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was going to say that. I think like for me, I was I was an art kid in that like from a young age, I was happiest with crayons and paper and a journal that I could write everything into. And so and I went then to a middle school that was focused on the arts and was in the visual arts program. And high school I went to an arts high school and was in the visual arts program. And so expressing the feelings that I had into whatever art it was that I was making in those programs I think was ingringed in me that I didn't give it a second thought, and that was like, Oh, that's what I do because that's how I feel, and I've learning, I've learned the skills and how to express that through writing, drawing, painting, sculpting, et cetera, et cetera. And so for me, I think I honestly never really thought about that it was anything other than that. I don't think of it as in this like at this point, I absolutely think that storytelling and what we do is art, but I don't put a sort of pretentious spin on it in any way other than I feel that so much of what we do is about connection and understanding, and I'm just expressing what I'm feeling or what I'm thinking or what i'm creating, so that someone else can be like, yeah, I feel that way too, or I thought that was funny, or you know, or I just I see myself in that, and so I think that that is, you know, and that is generally really what what art is. It's a representation of someone's interpretation of a moment for the viewer or the audience to have a relationship to it. And I think that's like, that's what we're always doing, is people maybe pretensions, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I just started to feel like how co musicians get, like the worst musician gets to be called an artist, Like it's true in a world where Kid Rocks consider an artist, why can't I consider myself an artist?
Speaker 1: No, they definitely grabbed it. They grabbed it, they took it before we did, so unfair right about that?
Speaker 5: I got Yeah, at what point, I was at the Grabbys and just like, fuck it, I'm an artist too.
Speaker 1: I got a fan out a little bit. I can't talk, obviously for obvious reasons about things that are specific, but I just want to say that I'm such a great admirer of your really singular kind of career in the way that you came to it. But also besides the fact, there's two things that I think are really interesting. One is, in the nineteen eighties, they gave me a production deal at a major studio and I had I lived in New York, but I had an office on the lot, and I had a development person and I had a and I had a secretary. And we didn't do jack shitt and I couldn't get I was like, this is cool, I'm going to be a producer. And nothing, nothing got done. It was so difficult. And you have completely embraced and you know, just made this made this a part of who you are is finding stuff for you to be, in finding stuff for other people to be, in finding things that you think have value. And I just I really admire that because I think that so often as artists take it, yes we are, we're just you know, we don't get it well. Either we don't have the skill to do that, or we don't get a chance to do that. So I just want to say that I admire that.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I was lucky to be like brought up also in like a very specific environment, like surrounded by people who like we're very geared towards like producing, and I was like showing how to produce, and I was shown, oh, you can like nurture someone in their idea and you could understand the logistics of how things get brought to life from like a financial standpoint and navigating the studio.
Speaker 3: And and if.
Speaker 5: You're a writer too, then it puts you in like a really special position and the idea of being like a writing producer, a producer who can actually fix the problems in the material and help fix the problems and enable people to fix the problems. You know, that I get like I was brought up around people who did that, and I saw, oh, like if that, if that's a thing we can do, then there's not a lot of people who are both you know, able to go into a studio and you know, negotiate budgets and deals and all that stuff, and if there's a writing issue, they could actually sit down and help fix the problem, you know. And and so it was yeah, I mean, but I got I got real lucky in that I was kind of like shown how to do that.
Speaker 1: You know, who were those people that you say brought you up in that way.
Speaker 5: I mean it was Judd Apatow for sure. It was one of those people. And he was brought up by Gary Shandling.
Speaker 3: A lot of the the in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: And Gary was around me when I was younger, and he really like had that it was almost like a.
Speaker 3: Rick rubinesque like comedic figure.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was someone who was like.
Speaker 5: Really was trying to inspire others to like create their best work and and and spoke to them about how to create their best work and and and physically could could do it as well.
Speaker 3: You know, and and and.
Speaker 5: Also like would like have their own shows and their own companies and and would enable other people. And Jim Brooks was someone that was for sure, you know, judge him up under him and he's so when I got to be around when I was younger, and.
Speaker 1: He was almost was very he's very degenerous in that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's great, and he's kind of in a lot of ways, Yeah, like one of the architects of really being like a prolific writer, director, producer of of of people's work in that way, you know, and and like a writing producer in and of himself. So yeah, it was I was very fortunate to kind of get to be around these people at a young age and kind of absorb.
Speaker 1: Or did you have that kind of mentorship, Yeah, a bit.
Speaker 4: I mean I went to film school and so you know it was very intentional to you know, work, you know, as a writer and producer. I came out of school actually really being interested in producing, and I worked for this producer named Steve Starkey who was Robertson Echisil's producer in the sort of Polar Express and Beowulf Monster House years and you know, learned an incredible amount working at this company that was making big movies while simultaneously, Seth and I had started dating at the time, so I would I would leave work and then go to set and sit on set and also get to observe jud and SHAWNA. Robertson who was producing those movies at the time, and so very much. Yeah, had amazing examples of people who could juggle you know, the sort of creative side of putting funny stories together, but also you know, shepherding other people and being supportive of you know, people coming up and being generous and teaching and listening and offering guidance. And Yeah, it's incredible to be able to have that and to be around people like that. Yeah, I was very lucky and fun time for sure.
Speaker 1: I want to say to the people that are listening to this podcast. I probably mentioned this before, but I have zero regrets about my career and my I'm just not somebody that looks back and goes, oh shit, I wish I would have done this and done except for the fact that I never got the concept of mentorship because I was such a cocky little shit. I thought there was nothing that anybody could teach me. Teachers. I couldn't stand being in class because I was like, I don't I got this. I got this even you know, from my parents' older actors that I would meet now probably just I'm sure I was absorbing things without but I never really put myself in the situation of going to somebody and saying, you know, can I ask your advice on something? And I think that's I think that's a really important thing for people to do, as as young people er.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think having a balance though. I think that like confidence though, is key, and knowing where you're going is key, and so the fact that you had the confidence to, you know, be like, I deserve to be here, I know what I'm doing. I don't don't I don't need to listen to you helped drive you to where you where you were and are you know I would say that my confidence, I didn't have that confidence. I literally was like I need to learn because I am not ready until I was ready. And so I think that, you know, it's important to know I should in some situations shut up and listen and in some situations to say like I've experienced and I've learned and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's true.
Speaker 5: That's what's hard about movies especially, is like no one's right. It's all just like who likes what more? And like who who feels it speaks to their tastes more and and and it is hard at times to yeah, navigate what advice you should take and what what advice is just kind.
Speaker 1: Of I'm trying to be better like at this age, at this late age, I'm actually trying to you know, especially, I think part of it is my is my wife's influence, because I mean really down to like even directors, do I really want direction? Not really?
Speaker 3: No one getting direction?
Speaker 1: When I was at.
Speaker 3: I'm happy not to are you are you really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I've been on movies wherely like I real I'll be like so I'd be like, it's been days since I've even spoken to the director, and that is like.
Speaker 1: You're good with that? Yes, okay, I'm glad because I don't know that I don't know that. I don't know that I've I've really uh talked to other actors that feel that way. So I'm glad that somebody else feeling glad. I can. Yeah, he doesn't like being directed either, just so you know.
Speaker 3: And I don't like directing the actors. I don't like talking about it.
Speaker 5: I'm in general like time, I'd be like, if I can avoid talking to them, I will just let them do their thing, you know.
Speaker 4: And I love it, like I want to get in there and be like, how you know, let's talk about how we're going to do this, like like that's I think, you know, one of the most fun parts of it. And and honestly like if you take like of course, like a technical directing class like in a school, like so much of it is how do you communicate with the actors? So like to be on set either as an actor and the director doesn't talk to you, I'm like, where's the director, but then also be the director and like to get the sense that the actors like, I got this. You're like, okay, I can take that, and I'm not going to say anything, and I'm going to let them go because I know they know what they're doing, you know.
Speaker 5: The fatal man Stevens Fieldberg was like, I don't want to talk to the actress ever about the scene ever.
Speaker 3: Basically the greatest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then but then when he did give you direction, it was terrified because you're like, oh, no.
Speaker 1: That's the greatest, that's the greatest. Well here, yeah, it's that thing between you Take one and take two. You see him get out of the chair and start to stroll over towards a second You're like, oh no, oh no, no, can we just go again? We just go again. I can sense what you want. Uh. The that's an interesting you mentioned that moved. It's an interesting segment to my other thing that I think is so fascinating. I've often said that I would I would, Uh, I would love to do more comedy, but I would I would much rather have been a serious actor who then gets a chance to do some comedy that have been well known for being a comedy the actor, because I think that the transition, I don't know how you feel about this in the other direction is uh, is is tough. I think that there's a there's something tied up with audiences and what they want to feel from from you in that moment, you know, as the truck backs up. I uh, and you've been able to do that to uh, to to kind of push past that seth in in such a such a great way with with you know, really truly amazing dramatic performances and all kinds of stretches, you know, and uh into different you know, walking in different people's shoes. And I wondered if that was a had a fight, if there was a fight to do that, or if it just kind of happened naturally.
Speaker 3: Uh No, there really wasn't. I like it. It wasn't something that I I.
Speaker 5: Always like love comedy and and and I was never like someone who, like, uh, I thought comedy was really always harder, you know, and I would look at you know, I would do dramatic scenes.
Speaker 3: In comedies and they were always so much easier.
Speaker 5: Than the comedic scenes in the comedies, you know, And so it wasn't I was always like relieved, though I remember being like, oh, it's like it's like the scene where like we break up, and even that was hard because we would still trying to make it funny. But like it, it to me was not something I ever honestly cared that much about. And some of my good friends were getting cast in dramatic films again, nominated for Academy Awards, and I was very thrilled for them, and I would look at them and do you like that just isn't something I like need necessarily like it. But there are filmmakers that I love working with, and I like dramatic film, but I'm more I think Sarah Pauley was the first one really who put me in like a dramatic movie, in like a big role in take This Waltz, and it was like it was interesting, Like I remember thinking it was very weird that she wanted me to do it and that she could have her pick of so many more dramatic actors, but she, like I thought that I would work in a specific way.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't like, Yeah, it's not something I like long for. You know, if I was only making comedies forever, i'd be happy.
Speaker 3: It's just it's hard, you know, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: So fascinating I'm really that's very very interesting. Yeah, Lauren, can you tell us about Hilarity for charity and and and what your own personal connection to this is. I want, I want to this is this is why you guys are here today, and I want to segue into that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, unfortunately, Alzheimer's was kind of a part of my life always my on my mom's side, my grandfather, her dad was diagnosed when I was very young, before I was born, and then after him, my grandmother, my mom's mom, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's also, and then at my college graduation, when I was twenty two and my mom was fifty two, she started repeating herself and you know, and it was one of those things that I just knew. And by the time, just before her fifty fifth birthday, she was diagnosed with I guess like an earlier on set Alzheimer's, which you know, coincided with when Seth and I started dating. We you know, met when we were twenty three, and so this really obviously hugely colored a huge part of my life during that time. And you know, here I was across the country from my parents. They were in Florida at the time, and you know, I was trying to build my career and in this relationship that was growing and sort of get my feet on the ground here while this was happening back home, and just as many people do who face a diagnosis of dementia, we were really scared and didn't know where to turn. And my mom really didn't want us to talk about it for the first couple of years because she felt a lot of stigma that stems from having dementia and and I'm sure a lot of fear herself having seen her parents go through it. But eventually her disease progressed and Steth and I started talking about it and sharing what I was going through and what my family was going through. And eventually a friend was like, hey, let's throw up a variety show since you know, we were in the comedy area, and let's raise some money for Alzheimer's research. And I was like, whoa, no, But then he persisted and I said okay, and we did it. And that was in twenty twelve, and through that really realized that there weren't a lot of young people talking about Alzheimer's at that point. There a lot of people talking about it in general, really and other young people were like, oh, hey, I'm also in my tw with a parent with it or sometimes unfortunately younger than that, And I was far from being alone and being young and having a parent dealing with it, and that we had this voice that we could use to give other people a voice and show them how to use their stories to create advocacy that was needed to explain this disease and what it is like to be a caregiver for this disease, but also to teach people how to take care of their brains and how to stay healthy, and also help caregivers who are going through it right now and really make sure that they are getting the support that they need to navigate the very difficult journey that most people who are cared for someone Golzheimer's are going through.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get a chance to talk to your mother about it? Did she ever open up about it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, we had conversations early on. There was one sort of pivotal conversation early on. This is so funny how I get to it. But I had read early on in like a teen magazine that the best place to have a comfortable conversations with your parents is in the car because ultimately you'll always have to get out of the car, so the conversation come to a natural end. So remember one time I was home visiting and she and I went to Target, and for whatever reason, I brought it up on the way to Target. So in the Target parking lot, we had this very specific conversation that I'll always remember, which was when I asked her if she was scared, in which she told me she wasn't scared for herself, but she was scared for us because she knew what we were going to go through and that I was absolutely not to move home to Florida to be with her, and I was not to make my life that I had been, you know, building towards take a left turn and stop what I was doing to take care of her the class she wanted. Wow, that's what she was was really selfless. She was giving and caring and so you know, and I was lucky to have Step there to support me. And you know, like I always said, like I was a caregiver for a caregiver because my dad was my mom's primary caregiver. But you know, at a lot of ways, Step was my caregiver. And I was extremely lucky to have him there.
Speaker 6: If you are inspired by today's episode, please join us in supporting six degrees dot org by texting the word Bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes, well also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most. Once again, text b a Con to seven zero seven zero seven zero or visit six degrees dot org to learn more.
Speaker 1: I think this is a good moment to bring on. Amanda Caesauta, who who U is? The senior communications manager? You are the SCM for hm HFC. Thank you so much for joining us, Amanda, thank you. You know, there's something that Lauren mentioned that I that I found really interesting when I was reading about the Alzheimer's and some of the research and some of the focus that you guys are making, and that is in this idea of a preventative lifestyle. This is something that I'd never really even thought about brain health. I mean, can you dig into that a little bit more for people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely one of our main pillars I think what separates us from a lot of other organizations in the Alzheimer's space is some of the programs that we offer and kind of the pillars that we're built on. So the first obviously to care for families and caregivers impacted by it, as Len mentioned, the second is to activate the generation of Alzheimer's advocates, and then that third pillar is to be a leader in the brain health space, particularly brain health education. And I think something that people would be surprised to learn is that research suggests that four and ten cases of dementia may be preventable through lifestyle changes. And part of this research is that twenty to thirty years before the onset of symptoms of Alzheimer's and dementia is when the disease actually starts and it starts to build. So by the time you get a diagnosis, you've been living with the disease for decades. And knowing that information, we really strive to get education to younger folks and to get young people caring about brain health education so that when they are in their twenties and thirties, they can be proactive and doing things that support that. Lauren, and you might have to help me. We have our five brain health habits that kind of drive all of our brain health education. So physical exercise we write then, Yeah, physical exercise is one of them. Emotional will be is another. Nutrition. What you eat in put in your body very important. The biggest one that Lauren talks lots about is sleep. And then what is the fifth one that I'm missing?
Speaker 4: Learn mental fitness, mental things.
Speaker 2: Yes, keeping your brain engaged. So an example of that that we like to share is learning a new language, like learning a new line, your brain learning. Yeah. The more that you can learn new things and activate your brain in that way, the stronger connections you can make. Yeah, we're very big on brain health, and there is a lot that people can do that they don't even realize in their day to day that can help that effort.
Speaker 1: Seth, tell me a little bit about the hilarity side of this. Yeah, I'm curious about the idea of taking something that is obviously you know, deep and painful and as hard as as Alzheimer's and you know, at least finding a way in through humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is because it's just what we do, you know.
Speaker 5: And as we were putting together the show for the first time, we are comedians. All of our friends are comedians, you know. Will actually the guy who introduced us, would put on comedy variety shows.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like an.
Speaker 5: Environment we came up with, was was we would always be going to these kind of comedy variety shows all the time.
Speaker 3: And so it at first was kind of just organically all we had to offer.
Speaker 5: But over the years it has become a much more kind of resonant, like beautiful, uh like approach to it. That that that again, like looking back, is is lovely and and the fact that we were able to infuse such a sad thing with humor, and that we're able to able to bring whiteness to such a dark subject and able to you kind of you know, take people's minds off things and with a spoonful of sugar, you know, like kind of feed them information and tips and lifestyle you know, habit suggestions that in a way that is entertaining and maybe a little more lighthearted than this information is generally conveyed with. Uh that that yeah, that was never part of like the grand plan. It's kind of just who we are and what we had to offer and and and it all came together in that way. But if anything. Yeah, Like, I think we've all been amazed at how organically it does go together, and how comedians especially are very charitable with their time and are undaunted by speaking about or around incredibly unhappy, traumatic things. That's what comedy is, right, And I remember, yeah, honestly, I remember putting together one of the shows and texting I think was John Mulaney being like, you're coming on after something that's like brutal, and he was like, it's fine, Like he's like people, He's like, people shift gears real fast. It's totally not a problem, you know. And so yeah, if anything, it kind of has it seems nice in retrospect and like we have this grand plan to kind of change the tone surrounding something so sad. But no, it was just kind of who we were, and we always we joke like if we were chefs, would be called baking for charity, you know, but unfortunately we're not.
Speaker 1: Amanda, tell me about the other two pillars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the first, which is kind of the heart and soul of our organization, is to care for families impacted by Alzheimer's. By twenty fifty, it's estimated that thirteen million Americans over the age of sixty five will have the disease, and that is tripling the current amount of cases that we have today. And I think another big part of that is that with an increase in people living with the disease, is the increase of people caring for people living with the disease. And right now there's already eleven million Americans who provide on paid care. So what we do at HFC is try to be a resource hub for folks wherever they are in the journey. So whether you yourself have been newly diagnosed or you're a caregiver who's been caring for someone for years with the disease, we try to meet people where they are through a variety of services. Probably the biggest and kind of the core of our work is our respite grants, and what those are is folks can apply and what it is is it's either a short term grant where we collaborate with a professional care organization and if you are awarded the grant, then someone would come to your home, a professional caregiver to help relieve you. So it's meant to take the burden of caregiving off the caregiver just for a little We also have extended grants, so that's like more long term assistance that you'd have, but we found that it's just much needed respite. Like caregivers are very burnt out and it is such a taxing job and responsibility, and to even have the time to go to the grocery store or to have a night out with friends can be monumental in giving them a little bit more fuel so that they can continue caring for the person that they love. Which in addition to the care grants, we also have a lot of online opportunities. Since caregivers are everywhere and very busy and we're a national organization, we have workshops, We have our main event every year, which is care Con, which is coming up this February, actually on Valentine's Day this year, So shout out to all the caregivers and those are all meant to kind of speaking to what Seth said, one educate them, so give them resources and maybe tips and chicks that they might not have known about in caregiving, and to give them a space to just be entertained and to laugh and to find community with people who get it, because it's a really isolating experience and not everyone understands what it looks like to care for someone and when you meet someone who does, it's a really special thing. So that's one of them, caring for caregivers, and then the other one that's pretty exciting, and I think we're one of a few organizations doing it is activating the next generation of Alzheimer's advocates. So we have a program right now called the Youth Movement Against Alzheimer's and we have high school and college chapters all across the country of kids who, either through personal connection or maybe careers that they want to get into, they have a passion for Alzheimer's and dementia and they want to advocate on behalf of the disease and people living with the disease. And it's a big part of what we do is making sure that those young people are equipped to put that message out into the world to help educate their peers on what they can do around brain health. It kind of all funnels back into that idea of prevention that if we can get people educated and inspired earlier, we'll all be better off in the long run.
Speaker 1: AMaGA, let me ask you a question. Obviously you're very committed to this, do you think it was in your life personally that made you want to, you know, be in this line of work. Yeah, I mean, you know, be work in the in the cause based space. I'm always fascinated when you know, being someone who that was never an option that I considered as a young man. I'm always fascinated with with people that really have have chosen to to to make this their their work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it was modeled for me by my parents just in our lifestyle. They were really big on helping others, So we've had countless friends and families stay at our home throughout the years. And I think for my sister and I, she's in the medical field, so she does servanthood in her own way. We just thought modeled for us. My mom especially was really big on teaching us that if you have the means and the ability you help others, that's what you do. And I think I learned early on the gratification that you feel and that you get from helping other people. And I felt pretty convinced, I mean out of call it is that if I didn't do work that was tied to a purposeful mission, I wouldn't be fulfilled. And I wouldn't be able to show up and really love what I do. Hilarity for charity is the sweet spot of all the things that I love. I get to be very creative here. I get to help others, and it's a cause that I have personal experience with, and I get to, you know, help people who are in the same position as myself and my family.
Speaker 1: M hm, that's that's that's great. I also have to say that I'm so touched with the notion of Seth becoming the caregiver for the caregiver you mentioned that, Lord, and I just want to circle back to that because I I, I mean, obviously there is a I'm gonna call it trickle down, but there's a there's a there's a ripple effect when somebody in somebody.
Speaker 5: I'd call it a black hole, right the exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is, you know, that's that's that's part of what marriages, that's part of what family is, you know.
Speaker 5: And yeah, it was really yeah, it was. It was one of those things though, like it was so sad, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I remember suggesting Laura go to therapy.
Speaker 5: That was a big that was a defining moment, I would say, and you know, uh forward, because I was just literally unequipped to deal with how sad the situation was. Like it wasn't like normal like hard day at work sad, like my boss is an asshole sad. It was like outside the scope of what I was equipped to understand how to deal with effectively, you know. And and then also it was one of those things where like money just helped, and that's why we made these grants, where like Lauren's father was just like getting worked to death, and then we hired these people, and all of a sudden, like everyone's lives was much better in like a tangible way.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like this idea that you know, just there's a very like immediate way to relieve the pressure of these caregivers because also like caregiving is also you know, like the caregiver dies before the person they are caring for, often because of the toll it takes. And and and that really seemed to be you know, what would was what could have happened to Lauren's father and so and and and then yeah, and then like the emotional effect it had on Lauren obviously because both of her parents were going through this terrible thing. So yeah, it does create this kind of like black hole that you really have to fight against the gravitational pull of you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I want to give you an opportunity, both Lauren and Amanda to you know, say how people listening to this can get involved, can help. This is our call to action to you know, just see how what people can do.
Speaker 2: Do you want to kiss? Sure?
Speaker 4: I mean, look, the first thing that can help is by donating money. You know, we are able to fund I think it's twenty seven percent or something of our applications that we received for our restpen programs. I would love to be able to fund more. However, it's not only money where we need the help. The simplest thing someone can do is share a story. If you're a caregiver, telling your friends, telling your family, sharing your story on social media. Making the reality of caring for someone with dementia part of the conversation so that people understand what it actually means to care for someone with dementia is huge to push the conversation forward because part of the reason that dementia Alzheimer's research was underfunded for so long by the government was because no one talked about it. In the last ten years, that's changed the reality of the situation has forced the government to step up with more funding in the areas of scientific research. So caregiving is still unfortunately behind, and so sharing our stories about the need for the support we need for caregivers, hopefully we'll shift the conversation to give caregivers the support they need. So I would say it's donations, it's advocacy, it's sharing our information on social media with a friend who you know needs it. It's sharing the fact that you know we have a support group. We have support groups for so many different types of people, and so so yeah, donating, sharing, Amanda, what else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously donating and sharing. I think another big thing is learn how to care for your brain. I mean, the crisis of care is going to impact everyone on a big scale, the economy. We're not ready for the amount of care that's going to need to be provided in the coming years. And we can tackle that by selling those lifestyle habits that can help towards preventions. So check out we are HFC dot org. We've got lots of resources about all the brain health habits that you can do. We even have a lovely recording of seth if you want to soothe yourself to sleep with the voices that brogan you can.
Speaker 3: Definite Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would encourage everyone check out our website, find out the simple things that you can start changing to help improve your brain health with those habits, and then if there's any caregivers listening out here, know that we're here to support you wherever you are on your journey. Please connect with us either through the website or on social media. We are at we are HFC across all social platforms, and we also have our major event, our virtual event care Con, coming up this February on Valentine's Day, so please join us even if you're not a caregiver. I think another aspect of this issue was that caregivers feel isolated because people don't know how to support someone who's caring for someone with all sign and we've got a lot of tools to even help the non trigivers know how to better love and support the people in their lives who are doing the caregiving.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I want to thank you guys so much, Seth, Lauren, Amanda, thank you so much foranking here today. Thanks for having us. It's really fun to to chat with you guys, and I love the sport that you're doing and and you know, keep up the good work. It's it's just fantastic stuff. So thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, thanks for listening to another episode of Six Degrees with Kevin Bacon. To learn more about Hilarity for Charity. I love that name and all the great works Seth, Lauren and their team are up to head to their website. We are h FC dot org. That's we are h FC dot org. You can find all the links in our show notes and hey, if you like what you need, make sure that you subscribe to the show and tune in to the rest of our episodes. You can find six Degrees with Kevin Bacon on iHeartRadio, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. I see you next time.